Speaker 1: Right, Welcome back everyone, Ready for another deep dive Today. We're going to be digging into social engineering.
Speaker 2: Ooh interesting, which I think.
Speaker 1: We all kind of have an idea of what it is, right, but this is going to be a really fascinating deep dive. We're using The Social Engineer's Playbook by Jeremiah Talamantes. Have you ever heard of this book?
Speaker 2: I have. It's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's packed with like all sorts of crazy statistics and real world examples and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think what it does a good job of is that it highlights how social engineering it goes beyond just like the hacking, you know, the computers and stuff. It's about understanding human nature, yeah, and how we can exploit those those tendencies that we all have right to trust and be helpful, to be liked to belives exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially you know in the world that we live in today, right, Yeah, which is like this hyper connected world. Like I mean, the book mentions that back in twenty twelve, thirty seven percent of data breaches involves social engineering. Wow, that's according to Verizon Data Breach Report.
Speaker 2: It's probably only gone up from there. Yeah, And I think the other thing too, is that you know, we're not just talking about online scams anymore. Right, Physical social engineering tactics are on the rise. It's like the con artist has gone digital in a way. Yeah, because now you can reach so many more people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, let's just kind of break it down, like what exactly is social engineering? So the book defines it as like manipulating people into taking actions or revealing sensitive information that ultimately goes against their best interests. So it's really all about the abuse.
Speaker 3: Of trust totally.
Speaker 2: And that's why it's so important for you listening to this to understand the different types, right, because it's not just about oh, I'm not going to fall for that phishing email. It can affect social engineering can affect anyone anywhere, and it can take many forms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, for instance, the book talks about this security consultant Steve stasuconis I believe is how you pronounce his name? Who scottered USB drives labeled payroll or swim suit picks around a company's entrance? Can you believe that?
Speaker 3: Pretty genius?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 2: I know, right, if you think about it, it preys on our innate curiosity, right, like to uncover a mystery or you know, get a great deal, right.
Speaker 1: I mean I have to admit I would be very tempted me too, Yeah, I would be very tempted to be like, what's on this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what's on there?
Speaker 1: Especially the swimsuit picks? Come on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially and like who's who are the swimsuit picks of?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? Exactly? Yeah. So, I mean it really makes you realize, you know, just how vulnerable we all are, absolutely to these kinds of tactics, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think what makes this even more complex is the psychology behind it all. So the book actually dedicates a whole chapter to how social engineers manipulate us using Robert Saldini's principles of persuasion.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's not just trickery. It's like understanding, you know, how our minds work.
Speaker 2: It's like they're hacking our brain.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, Yet.
Speaker 2: Not just our computers, but our actual brains.
Speaker 1: The thing about Chaldeani's work, and the reason why it's so so relevant here is because these are deeply ingrained persuasive techniques in human behavior totally, right, Like we are in many ways wired to respond to these.
Speaker 2: I don't even realize it, yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Which is what makes us such prime targets for social engineers. So let's dive into some of these tactics one by one and see how they play out in the real world. Right. So the first one is reciprocity.
Speaker 2: Okay, reciprocity right, So this is the idea, right that if someone does something nice for you, you almost feel obligated to return the favor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The book gives a very specific example which I love, which is like someone offers to light your cigarette in a smoking area. Oh interesting, and then later on they might need to get into a secure area, and so they ask you, hey, can you hold the door, and you're like, oh yeah, sure, you know, because they were nice to you earlier and just trying to be a.
Speaker 1: Polite right, And all of a sudden you've given someone access to like a restricted area or something exactly.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: So the takeaway for you is to be to be cautious, right, especially if you're in a security sensitive environment and someone's like, hey, can I get that for you? Can I do this for you? Just be cautious, like what's their motivation? Why are they going out of their way? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. It's easy to get caught up in the moment, you know, absolutely, and not think about the bigger picture. Okay, so what about authority?
Speaker 2: Authority classic, so we are conditioned right to obey authority figures even if they're fake.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so the book uses the example of like the it guy needs access to the server room, right.
Speaker 1: Like, we just I don't know, I feel like our brains go on autopilot in those situations. It's you you see a uniform or hear like a voice of authority, and you're just like, oh, yeah, okay, they must be legitimate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so this really highlights the importance of verifying authority, you know, don't be afraid, especially when it comes to like sensitive information or giving someone access to something, ask for identification, double check with you know, the department. It's much better to be safe than sorry.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly, absolutely, Okay, what about scarcity scarce?
Speaker 2: This is where they kind of, you know, social engineers use a sense of urgency to try to force you to make a quick decision. So the book gives an example of like a frantic call from the COO, right, like the CEO is locked out of their account and there's a big presentation and they need you to reset the password right now.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can just imagine that stress and that pressure, right and you're just like, oh my gosh, I need to fix this right now.
Speaker 1: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, So anytime you feel that pressure, those pressure tactics like that should be a huge red flag, right, take a breath, verify the situation, and remember that there's very rarely a true emergency in any of these situations. It's better to be slightly delayed than to compromise security.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. Okay, so we've got reciprocity, authority, and scarcity.
Speaker 2: What's next next is likability?
Speaker 1: Likability Okay, this one's kind.
Speaker 2: Of straightforward, which is that we comply with people that we like or who seem similar to ourselves, right, like human.
Speaker 1: Nature to want to like help people we connect with totally.
Speaker 2: But this is where it gets true, okay, because be mindful of how much personal information you're sharing, especially with people you don't really know, right, even if they seem friendly, that could be a tactic, right to build that rapport with you for manipulation later on.
Speaker 1: So like set boundaries absolutely, and just you know, don't be too quick to trust someone just because they seem relatable. Totally okay, what about concession?
Speaker 2: Concession? So this is where a social engineer starts with a big request and then concedes to something smaller, which makes you feel like you've won the negotiation.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like you're using your own desire to like compromise it.
Speaker 3: Gets exactly, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: So really the key here is to recognize any negotiation where you feel pressured is suspicious, right right, ask yourself, what are they getting out of this deal? Are you truly winning or are they manipulating you to get what they want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so be aware of the power dynamics, Yeah, totally at play, and don't be free to walk away exactly. Yeah, yeah, if it feels off, If it feels off, okay. And last, but not least, on our list of like psychological uh you know, tactics here is obligation.
Speaker 3: Okay. Obligation.
Speaker 2: So this is when a social engineer gives you something, maybe a small gift or some information, to make you feel indebted to them.
Speaker 1: Right, So they're creating a sense of reciprocity.
Speaker 2: Exactly before they even like make the ass exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's important to be wary of those strings attached, Like what might they ask for later? Is there a hidden cost to that free gift or helpful information?
Speaker 1: Right? So think critically, yes, and don't let your feelings.
Speaker 2: You know, feelings get in the way.
Speaker 1: Cloud you judgment. Right. Okay, So I think what's so fascinating about all this is that these tactics, I mean, we're talking about them in the context of social engineering, but they are used in everyday life.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all the time, all the time, right.
Speaker 1: And I'm like already starting to see it.
Speaker 2: It's like you put on a whole new lens to view the world.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, Yeah, like how people are trying to influence us. Absolutely, It's it's a little scary but also like kind of fascinating to it.
Speaker 3: It is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you can't you can't unsee it once you start seeing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've kind of covered this like psychological foundation, right of social engineering, But now I'm curious about how, like how do they actually put these tactics into practice?
Speaker 2: So that brings us to like the next one of the more like intriguing things. I think the book talks about which is the concept of elicitation. So it's about subtly extracting information from someone without them realizing.
Speaker 3: They're being probed sneaking.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, And it's really about asking the right questions, listening very carefully, and then piecing together, you know, what seems like in ocuous details to build a bigger picture.
Speaker 1: So it's not just being chatty, it's being like strategically chatty.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's weaponized chattiness.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly. Yeah, And what makes it, I think, so powerful is that it plays on our natural tendencies to connect with others, to share information and to.
Speaker 3: Help exactly right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's break down some of these elicitation techniques that are mentioned in the book. So, one of the first ones is flattery.
Speaker 3: Flattery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so because we all love a little bit of praise, right, Like, who doesn't like to be like complimented, right, And so they know how to use it, right, They'll shower you with compliments, make you feel good about yourself, and therefore you're much more inclined to open up share information. You know.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how like a few well placed compliments can just like lower our guard.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So The takeaway for you is to be wary of flattery, right, especially from people you don't know well if they're fishing for details, especially about work or personal life. Be cautious how much are you revealing?
Speaker 1: Keep the bragging in check exact, especially with strangers. Yeah, okay, So what about false statements?
Speaker 2: False statements? So the idea here is that we can't resist correcting someone who's dead wrong. Oh yeah, that's true, and then in the process of correcting them, we might accidentally reveal confidential information.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's so true, because you're you know, you're so focused on setting the record straight total that you don't even realize you're giving away sensitive information exactly. Yeah, So just a reminder to be careful about how much insider knowledge. Yeah, you know you're sharing, even if you think you're just being helpful.
Speaker 2: Totally think about the consequences before you.
Speaker 1: Speak, right, exactly, So think before you speak, and don't let your desire to be right override your sense of security.
Speaker 3: Good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So next, artificial ignorance.
Speaker 2: What is that artificial ignorance? This is where a social engineer plays them okay, to get you to explain things.
Speaker 1: Oh, so they're using our helpfulness against it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They might pretend to be unfamiliar with your field or a particular process, right, and then they're prompting you to explain it to them, and in the process, you might reveal something you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Oh. Wow, that's so subtle.
Speaker 3: It is subtle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they're leading you down a path but you don't even realize it.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So be wary of overly curious strangers who seem oddly uninformed about your field could be a ploy to get you to lower your guard and divulge information you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's about like trusting our instincts, I know. Yea if someone's questions, you know, feel a little too probing, or you know, their lack of knowledge feels suspicious, exactly, we should be cautious. Okay. Now, sounding board, this is a new one for me.
Speaker 3: Sounding board.
Speaker 2: So this is where the social engineer pretends to be like a sympathetic listener, and so they encourage you to like vent about your work or brag about your work or your personal Oh.
Speaker 1: So they're like creating a safe space for you.
Speaker 2: To overshare exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then in the process you're unwittingly revealing information that could be used against you or your organization.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, how like, you know, just having that feeling that someone's on your side absolutely and just completely lower our.
Speaker 2: Guard you can. Yeah, it's a reminder that even venting or celebrating, like even when you're happy, right, can leak information.
Speaker 1: Right, So think twice, Think twice before you open up, even to people who seem trustworthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about the potential consequences, right.
Speaker 1: So, like, be mindful of our audience absolutely, even in casual conversations.
Speaker 2: Even casually, we never know who's.
Speaker 1: Listening or how they might use that information.
Speaker 2: Never know.
Speaker 1: Okay, bracketing, this is a weird one.
Speaker 2: Bracketing. Yeah, so this is a technique where the social engineer throws out wild guesses, either too high or too low, to get you to give a more accurate answer.
Speaker 1: Oh. So they're using a process of elimination.
Speaker 3: They are, Yeah, they are to narrow it down exactly.
Speaker 2: For example, they might say something like I bet your company has at least five hundred employees, right, and then you correct them and say, well, actually no, we have closer to two hundred.
Speaker 3: They just elicited you know that's so clever, A good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have never thought of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a reminder that if someone's pushing for numbers or specifics, that's a sign they're not just making casual conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, be cautious. Yeah, so pay attention to the types of questions people are asking, absolutely, and don't be afraid to like be vague or evasive if you feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't give it to them, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay. And last, but not least, confidential baiting. This is the one that like, I don't know it, just it feels wrong.
Speaker 2: It does feel wrong. It's like, come on, Yeah, so this is where a social engineer shares fake secrets to get you to reciprocate with real ones.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like they're playing a game of like informational Chicken.
Speaker 3: They are, they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They'll say something like, just between you and me, I heard our departments getting a huge budget increase next year. Oh yeah, And if you're not careful, you might be like, oh, really, well, I heard we're getting a whole new software.
Speaker 1: System, right, you know, just get caught up in.
Speaker 3: It, you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So be extremely cautious. Yeah, shared secrets aren't always confidential, right, It could be a ploy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the lesson here be very cautious about what you reveal, absolutely, even if someone else sees to be sharing sensitive information exactly. Okay, So we've talked about elicitation, these like sneaky tactics that are designed to get us to spill the beans without even realizing it. But what happens when social engineering gets even more theatrical. That's where pretexting comes in.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Pretexting This takes it to a whole new level. It's about creating believable scenarios sometimes with like fake identities, backstories, even props, to gain your trust and achieve their goals.
Speaker 1: So they're like putting on a performance.
Speaker 2: Totally, Yeah, a one man show to deceive their target.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's so crazy wild and so you know, just like with any good performance, research is key, Like they have to sound legitimate, right, so they have to know the lingo, the.
Speaker 2: Procedure culture of the organization, and they're trying to infiltrate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they're like method acting, method acting, really immersing themselves in the role. Okay, so give me the good stuff, Like what are some of the examples from the book.
Speaker 2: So one of the more simpler ones, right, which I think is still really effective, is the copyer repair guy needs mailroom access. It's all about appearances, right, and assumptions.
Speaker 1: You see someone in a uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Carrying a toolbox, like, Okay, this person's probably legit, exactly, even if something feels slightly off.
Speaker 2: Even if yeah, and then you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, it's amazing how our own expectations can fool us totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 2: The book also mentions the irs audit notice email this plays on our fear and urgency.
Speaker 1: Just those two words are enough to send like.
Speaker 2: Shivers sends me into a cold sweat.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah yeah. Yeah, so they're exploiting that fear totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, so even the most official looking emails.
Speaker 3: Ken be fake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so always double check the sender, look for any red flags, and never click on links or attachments that you weren't expecting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually this is a good place to stop for now, and we will pick up this conversation in part two.
Speaker 2: Okay, So where were we? Oh yeah, talking about some of these crazy social engineering tactics The book actually has this whole chapter. It calls it the playbook.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like literally a playbook.
Speaker 2: It is like a cheat sheet for how to like manipulate people, right, all these different pretexts.
Speaker 3: It's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: It's like you almost have to admire the creativity, but also like knowing about it is the first step to protecting yourself, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So walk me through some of these plays, like, you know, what kind of scenarios should we be on the look for.
Speaker 2: So one that's incredibly common and still super effective is like the security bulletin email.
Speaker 3: It looks like.
Speaker 2: It's coming from you know, Microsoft, your anti virus provider.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I've seen those.
Speaker 2: You've seen those. Yeah, and they're warning you, like about some critical security vulnerability, you know, try to scare you into clicking a link or opening an attachment to fix the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's like using your own good intention against you totally, right, Like I'm just trying to be a responsible digital citizen exactly.
Speaker 2: You're trying to be safe, right yeah, and they're exploiting that.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else? What else?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Bank security email alert they're posing as you know, a bank representative emailing you about suspicious activity on your account.
Speaker 1: I've gotten those two. Yeah, they always like make it sound super urgent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they always do, right, Like you need to act immediately to prevent fraud, right right, right, And so they want you to act quickly without thinking. Yeah, you know, they might ask you to open attachment supposedly to review the transactions, but it's actually loaded with malware.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. They play on our you know, financial anxieties, like we're so worried about our money being stolen.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: It's like a primal fear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so what about I mean this is like the granddaddy of all the fear inducing emails, the IRS audit notice.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that one's a classic.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anyone out there who wouldn't feel at least a little bit of dread, right.
Speaker 1: I mean those two words irs audit are enough to, like, I don't know, make me want to just crawl under a rocket too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like sends me to a cold sweat, like get me out of here exactly. So of course they know that they'll exploit that fear, claiming you've been selected for an audit, right, and then you have to open an attachment, oh yeah, for more information. Of course, the attachment malicious designed a compromiser system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is just a good reminder, right, Like even the most official looking emails can be faked.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally always double check the center for any red flex Verify, Verify verify exactly. Don't click on links or attachments you weren't expecting.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So I mean even those of us who are like, you know, pretty tech savvy, right, can still fall prey to these things. What about, Like, I'm curious, have you seen any like specifically designed for people who are like more technical?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, They even have like pretexts for that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One of them is called like get your Updates here, where the social engineer pretends to be from like your IT department, right yeah, and they're urging you to visit a website to register your computer for automatic security.
Speaker 1: Updates, which sounds like perfectly.
Speaker 3: Legitimate, totally legitimate, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Especially for people who are like you know, used to like keeping their software up to date exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It plays on that trust and authority figures and that desire to you know, stay protected. But of course the website is a fake right, designed to steal your log in credentials or install malware.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, so I guess, like you know, none of us are like immune to this stuff.
Speaker 2: No one's immune. No, we all have our vulnerability, right, they're masters at finding them.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's move on from email to telephone attacks, because I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that this is still one of the most common forms of social engineering.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: You know it's like in this age of like, you know, texting an email, you'd think phone calls would be like less effective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's something about that, like human voice.
Speaker 2: Human voice, Yeah, that like real time interaction. It's very powerful, right, and it allows them to really adapt to like how you're responding right, right, and make it even more believable.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are what are some of the scenarios that we should be aware of.
Speaker 2: So one of the classic ones is the forgetful user, where the social engineer calls like the help desk, right and pretends to be a legitimate user who's forgotten their passwords.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I could totally see that working. Oh yeah, because I mean, like we all forget our passwords.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time, and to make it even more believable, they'll be like, oh, I have this urgent deadline, you know, or like my boss is waiting on me to send this five you know, Like they create that sense of urgency to pressure the help desk person to reset their password without the proper verification.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're using their like you know, the help desk person's desire to be helpful.
Speaker 3: And efficient exactly.
Speaker 2: So that highlights the importance of good authentication protocols. Right, you know, always verify even when it seems legitimate.
Speaker 1: Right, always verify. Yeah, okay, So what about like what other you know, phone tactics you know, should we be like aware of?
Speaker 2: Right? So there's one called a sleight of hand where the social engineer pretends to be from like it again, calls you and then asks you to visit a website to register your comp you know, okay, yeah, like for system upgrade or new security software.
Speaker 1: Right. Sounds legit, totally legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happens all the time, But of course the website is a fake, right, and it's designed to steal your loging credentials. And what's clever is that they never actually ask for the password, right, Like they just ask you to go to this website. It's very clever.
Speaker 1: So they're kind of bypassing your defenses.
Speaker 2: Totally because you're expecting them to ask for your password, but they don't.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, okay, what about like financial stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, financial foray. So this is where the social engineer pretends to be like a bank rep calling to verify information.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I get those calls. Get those?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really tricky, right because they sound super official, and they often will have specific details about your account. They might ask for your account number, your social even your online banking log in credentials to you know, resolve a minor issue.
Speaker 1: Right. It's so hard to tell those from a legitimate call.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: So the best advice is to never give out sensitive information over the phone unless you initiated the call. Right. If you get a call that seems suspicious, just hang up right, call back using the number, the official number you know, exlisted on your statement, your website, whatever.
Speaker 1: Good rule with them, Always verify, always verify. Yeah yeah, okay, so what about those like you know, we all get those like robo calls, right, I feel like they're coming more and more these days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, and they're using those too. The book calls it attack of the Phones, where they use like a text to speech a program to create like this fake automated call. Oh yeah, pretending to be from the IRS, a government agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They're usually warning you about some kind of legal action or like unpaid taxes, totally. Yeah, and then they want you to like enter personal information exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're exploiting again our fear of authority, our tendency to trust automated systems. The call might even instruct you to like enter your Social Security number right for verification, and then they can capture that. They use something called a DTMF decoder.
Speaker 1: Oh, a DTMF decoder. What is that? That sounds fancy.
Speaker 2: It sounds super fancy, right. So DTMF stands for dual tone multi frequency signaling. It's basically the technology that allows you to like press the keys on your phone, you know, Okay, yeah, like one for sales or whatever.
Speaker 1: I've never thought about how that actually works, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they can use that. Oh, they have this decoder that can capture that.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're even though it seems automated, they're actually listening.
Speaker 3: In they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, essentially, it's scary, so be cautious about providing any information over the phone, even if it seems like it's automated.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, so we've covered some pretty sophisticated stuff like you know, email and telephone attacks. What about like, what other tricks do they have up their sleeves?
Speaker 2: Okay, So there's another tactic that's like surprisingly simple, but it's still very effective, called baiting. It preys on our curiosity and our love of free stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like free stuff, tell me more.
Speaker 2: So it's about leaving like infected media like USB drives or CDs okay, around in places where, like you know, the target is likely to find them, right, and the media is often labeled with something enticing like payroll or private picks you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, it's like, I don't know, it's like finding a twenty dollars bill on the sidewalk. It is, you know, you probably shouldn't pick it up, but it's so hard to.
Speaker 2: Resist exactly, And the book calls this like the oldie but a goodie. Right. It's crazy how effective it still is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so give me some give me some real world examples, like how does this actually play out?
Speaker 2: Okay? So there's like the Blazing Fast interwebs where they mail you a USB drive disguised as like an Internet speed booster.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would.
Speaker 2: Totally fall for that. Who doesn't want faster Internet?
Speaker 1: Exactly? It plays on that desire for like instant gratification, right right, right? Are willing not to try new technologies, especially if they're free, especially if they're free. Yeah, but in reality it's just a sneaky way to get you to install malware, right okay? Okay. And then there's the Save Big Money where they mail you a USB drive that appears to contain a coupon book. Ooh, I love everyone loves coupon's huge discounts. Yeah, popular stores. And then you know, as soon as you plug in the drive, bam malware.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So if something seems too good to be true, it probably.
Speaker 1: Is exactly yeah. And then they even like tailor it to specific interests.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: For car enthusiasts, you know, they have the Recalling all Cars, where they mail you a USB drive claiming it contains like important information about a recall for your specific make and model of car.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean a car recall is like a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a big deal, right, like both safety and like you know, could cost you a lot of.
Speaker 2: Money, totally praying on that desire to keep our vehicles running smoothly and to be safe.
Speaker 1: Right, so again like you know, using our own anxieties against us totally.
Speaker 2: And then finally the bank security software. So they mail you a USB drive claiming it contains security software, right to protect your computer and your bank account.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that makes sense. Like with all the data breaches and identity theft happening these days, you know, Oh yeah, people are very concerned about their online security.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so they combine the appeal of free security software with that fear of financial fraud. Right, and to make it even more urgent, they might even reference some suspicious activity.
Speaker 3: Right right on your account.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's all about playing on our emotions, our fears, and our desires.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's striking is that all these tactics they rely on exploiting human nature. It's not about like brute force hacking. It's about manipulating our psychology.
Speaker 1: Right. It really makes you like think twice about who you trust.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's scary and how easily. We can be deceived very easily, right, So it really brings us back to like the core message of this whole deep dive, right, like knowledge is.
Speaker 3: Power, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the more you understand about these tactics, the better you can protect yourself.
Speaker 1: So it's not about living in fear. No, it's about being like you know, informed and.
Speaker 2: Aware, being aware exactly, and that's like your first line of defense, you know. Just start paying attention to how people try to influence you.
Speaker 3: In everyday life.
Speaker 2: I know, right, I guarantee you'll start to see it everywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm already noticing it, and it's like a little unsettling.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it is unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're already way ahead of the game, right right, because you're aware of it. You're less likely to fall for those traps because you know what to look for.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I guess to kind of like, you know, wrap up this whole conversation social engineering. It's really all about exploiting the human element, right, our trust, our helpfulness, even our desired to be liked, and it uses psychology and trickery to get us to do things that we wouldn't normally do.
Speaker 2: Totally right, And the best way to protect yourself is to stay informed, be skeptical, never be afraid to question authority. If something feels off, it probably is. Trust your gut.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Trust your gut, verify information. Yeah, and remember that no one has the right to pressure you into giving up sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. And I think you know the trust your gut part, it's so important. It's huge, right because we often like have that feeling, you know, like something's not right, but we just kind of ignore it because we want to want to seem rude or paranom you.
Speaker 2: Feel like we're overreacting or whatever. But it's much better to be cautious than to become a victim. You know. It's about finding that balance between being open and trusting but also discerning and aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tricky. It is tricky, and you know, it's not just about protecting ourselves personally, but also our organizations absolutely and their communities. Like this stuff can have like far reaching consequences, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Data breaches, financial losses, reputational damage, like it can get really bad.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So to our listeners out there, stay vigilant, stay informed, stay informed, stay safe, stay safe and if you really want to like dive deep into this whole world of social engineering, definitely check out the Social Engineer's Playbook. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The book is really interesting. It lays everything out very clearly. Yeah, and I think even if you just implement like a few of the tips we've talked about, you'll be much better off, right exactly, Yes, significantly.
Speaker 1: And a if you've ever encountered any particularly like you know, clever or outrageous social engineering attempts, we want to hear about them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, share your stories.
Speaker 1: Share your stories, hit us up on social media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we want to hear them, right.
Speaker 1: Because I mean, I think you know, the best way to learn is from you know, shared experiences.
Speaker 2: Right, Absolutely, learn from each other's mistakes.
Speaker 1: Right. So until next time, I'm stay curious, stay skeptical, and stay safe out there in the digital wild West.
Speaker 2: And remember knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks for joining us for another deep dive. We'll see you next time. Forewarned is forearmed, right exactly. So the more we know about these tactics, the better we can protect ourselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, awareness is your first line of defense. And just start paying attention to how people try to influence you in everyday life. I know, online, offline, everywhere. I guarantee you'll start to see it everywhere once you start looking for it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm already noticing it. Yes, And it is a little it's a little unsettling.
Speaker 2: It is unsettling. But the good news is you're already ahead of the game because you're aware of it, right, So you're less likely to fall for those traps because you know what to look for, right.
Speaker 1: So it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So to kind of like wrap up this whole conversation, social engineering, I mean, it's really all about exploiting the human element, our trust, our helpfulness, even our desire to be liked. Yeah, and it uses psychology and trickery to get us to do things that we would normally do. Totally and the best way to protect ourselves. I mean, just to reiterate what we've been talking about, stay informed, be skeptical, never be afraid to question authority.
Speaker 1: Absolutely question everything.
Speaker 2: Right, if something feels off, it probably is. Trust your gut, verify information, and remember that no one has the right to pressure you into giving up sensitive information or access.
Speaker 1: Couldn't this set it better myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love that advice.
Speaker 2: Trust your gut. It's so simple, it's so sick, but it's so important, right, because we often have that feeling like, hmmm, something's not right here, but we just kind of ignore it because we don't want to seem rude or paranoid exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're overreacting or whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's much better to be cautious than to become a victim.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's about finding that balance between you know, being open and trusting, but also discerning and aware.
Speaker 1: Right, discerning in a way. Yeah, it's a tricky balance.
Speaker 3: It is tricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, it's not just about protecting ourselves personally, no, right, Like, it's about protecting our organizations, our communities absolutely. I mean this stuff can have like really far reaching.
Speaker 2: Consequences, data breaches, financial losses, reputational damage.
Speaker 3: I mean it can be really bad.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, So to our listeners out there, stay vigilant, stay informed, stay safe, stay safe, and if you want to like really dive deep into this whole world of social engineering, definitely check out the Social Engineer's Playbook.
Speaker 2: It's a great book.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We'll put a link in the show notes along with some of the other resources that we mentioned. And hey, if you have ever encountered any particularly you know, clever or outrageous social engineering attempts, we want to hear about them. Share them, share them. Yeah, hit us up on social media.
Speaker 3: We love we love those stories because.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes, you know, the best way to learn is from shared experiences.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, absolutely learn from each other's mistakes.
Speaker 1: So until next time, stay curious, stay skeptical, and stay safe out there in the digital wild West.
Speaker 2: And remember knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us for another deep dive. We'll see you next time.