Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of October fourteenth, we're discussing season four, episode eight of Only Murders in the Building. This one was called Lifeboat. I'm not sure I found the connection.
Speaker 1: Well there, at least they did at the beginning have something about the movie. I think it was about found family and the groups that you are put into unexpected situations with. And then I mean I didn't haven't seen the movie Lifeboat, but the little intro seemed to be saying that, you, yeah, drawing a comparison between Lifeboat and the Westies and also our trio. I can see that, Okay, that they're they're uh, find it a way to.
Speaker 2: Survive, Yeah, which which also Mabel did by the end draw that connection. Yes, so yes, this was you know, the one where we think it was the Westies and we find out it wasn't.
Speaker 1: We knew it wasn't the Westies.
Speaker 2: We knew it wasn't because it wasn't. The final episode, Yes, I did think the entire so, you know, the whole episode is the Westies explaining how they got together with dudent Off, how they became like this tight knit and then the end of Dude Enough and how he departed and they were still keeping up his you know, catching his checks whatever whatever. I mean, they all could have been making this up entirely.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there's film supposedly of him saying this correct, but.
Speaker 2: I really I gotta say I didn't necessarily buy or understand.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: His point was, we're not telling Helga. She's the one member of the Westies that we haven't met until this episode. We're not telling her because she's too, desponding over the death of her father. She can't lose me too. So we're setting up this whole elaborate thing and we're leaving her out of it. Yeah, but like, okay, the teenage girl was upset. You know, Vince has lost his wife. Like, people like why her?
Speaker 1: Why? Yeah, for some plot reason, probably that we shall encounter later, I don't know, just just to so there's a little extra twist in it. I don't know, but I mean they did that. They left her out of it because of that. But they did it so that they would be able to stay in their apartments. Although I read a review that said, why didn't he just leave the apartments to them in his will if he owns them?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But perhaps there's some some nicety of real estate law that makes that impractical or not not doable. Who knows, It's New York, who knows anything's possible. Better to have your friends watch you die and then put you in an insiderator, then deal with the legal profession.
Speaker 2: I get that, right, then, in all because we don't want to tell Helga, Helga, but I'm dying. Yeah, plot holes, did we mention?
Speaker 1: Everyone was usually so tightly plotted it's amazing to me that they don't have every possible thing crossed off. Maybe there's a reason for the plot holes, maybe there will there will be something else. I do feel like there has to be something else to justify the existence of Helga. But we shall see. We may not care, but we will see.
Speaker 2: She was there to come back and point a finger at Glenn Stubbins, which is Paul Rudd's character.
Speaker 1: Who is currently in the hospital having been shot. So if he was the shooter of Saz, somebody has now shot him, possibly on purpose, and making it look like they were aiming at one of somebody else. Right, But I was more entertained by this episode than I have by some of the others. For whatever reason, it was I think not quite at as high a pitch. I mean, the characters were all the actors were all doing their thing, but maybe it was just because they were mostly one on one that it was less overwhelming. And the whole thing, you know, the whole thing with the Westiest. So there's a lot of people around and they just seem to turn down the volume a little bit. Maybe Melissa McCarthy not being there turned down the volume like two hundred notches, but it was fine. I mean, I'm over trying to figure out a case where this is going to go. I couldn't figure it out. I don't think I've figured it out on any of them. Just because it's going to be something, it's going to be Tony Danza, Tony Dancer was a shooter. Yeah, and you know Mark Linn Baker helping them out. I'm really wondering if we're going to see those guys cameo by the end, because you know they're random pop culture references. Sure, but you mentioned them enough times and it's like, Okay, how are we going to pay this off? Now? I am sort of okay with the payoff of all the Tony Dance stuff being them having to explain to mable who Tony Dancy is a little rough on Tony, But okay, But the Perfect Strangers thing coming up again seems to me like it has to have some payoff. Yeah, and you know, if they can get Scott Bacula for a comic walk on that apparently is nothing more than that they can get those two dudes in at a wrap party at the end or something. Yes, I'm pretty sure they're sitting by their phones.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm pretty sure Tony Danza is basically based in New York. Yeah, that's having read a whole article in the New York Times about his apartment.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, fairly recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah that would Why of.
Speaker 1: All the people, would you grab him for your joke? I don't know anyway, I like Tony Danz. It just fine. Happy to see him, amen, I remember you, But please don't end up in the incinerator. Do you have any fake parts?
Speaker 2: Right, because we need to be able to identify either.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So smart. He could have just said, by the way, please fish out my artificial joints on your way so that there's no evidence left. But yeah, but happy to see more of Griffin done. That's fine. Yes, it's fine, it's fine. Everything, it's fine. Yes.
Speaker 2: Well, and parenting wise, we get dude off kind of being the oh yeah, parent to this whole family. Yes, he's the one, he's the patriarch. He brought them all together from yes, various encounters, and you know he he met them all in different ways, yes, and them all together.
Speaker 1: And he was benevolent towards them. But they enriched his life, which is rather like a parent parent child's situation. However, we don't recommend that parents kill themselves and tell their children to dispose of the body, right, don't do that big circle and slash across that. Yeah, even if.
Speaker 2: You're trying to spare one of them the pain of your death, you really are messing with the rest of the yo.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's not They should not be their job, you know. And since we're talking about found families, they also mentioned that Maybel, Oliver and Charles are somewhat of a found family themselves. And I feel like, though she is the youngest, maybele is kind of the mom. I'm so sorry, sweetie. There's nobody to take care of you. You're busy taking care of them. They are going back to their posh apartments and leaving you in whatever that place.
Speaker 2: Is that you live.
Speaker 1: Right, nobody's taking care of mabel I bet Eva Longoria would take her under her wing in a second.
Speaker 2: But well, and did it seem like Helga was going to reclaim that apartment or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wondered about that. Yeah she should, but where was she living like the roommate when was alive?
Speaker 2: There must be another apartment. Yeah, because when Dudonov was alive, he was living in the one where Mabel.
Speaker 1: Is that's right, because he had the thing put in the lock. Yeah, oh hell lot, and they bonded over their mutual like of this card game I had never heard, but which you tell me is actually a thing?
Speaker 2: It is. I put a link in our show notes.
Speaker 1: To nothing better for a family fun night than playing cards. We have done that here, although our card of choices un which wouldn't be quite long enough for the the lock. You'd have to come up with something else, right.
Speaker 2: We did not have any sighting of Bev mellon the Molly's standing character. Sure, I didn't miss her.
Speaker 1: That's why the volume was so.
Speaker 2: I do like Molly Shannon, but yeah, we needed a little break from.
Speaker 1: Her weirdo sisters. No, no, the actors and they were kind of on a lower key, although Eugene Levy was trying to get Charles to be angry. Just an actor thing. So they're doing their actors things. Eva Longoria is having such a great time parodying herself enter many products which he's involunt Yeah.
Speaker 2: We knew that that device having a recorder on it would.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was a big yeah.
Speaker 2: Going to be coming into play for sure.
Speaker 1: And she still has it on there, so theoretically she can make trouble with it, but I hope she does not. If these people are legit what they say they are, let them stay there in those crappy apartments, right, you know, with their ham Leave them be. But get that young girl out of there as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is.
Speaker 1: Again, they're evolving this. I mean, how old is she supposed to be? Do we think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unclear.
Speaker 1: We're involving her in because the Student of Dying was a while ago, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean time is an elastic contract.
Speaker 1: That is true. That is true. Ah, anyway, that's fun. I related to the thing at the beginning where they're talking about the joy of getting away from a place that's full of family. Recently had some family over this weekend. It was great we had at the time. None of them listened to this. But yes, my place is man to my place, or yes, I get to go back to my place.
Speaker 2: Right, draw a picture of a pig on your wall.
Speaker 1: That's right. And you don't have to worry about people being nice to your kids anymore when you leave family. That's an element that was not part of this, but that is always one with me. From a parenting point of view, sometimes it's nice to just go back to your little little immediate unit and not have to, you know, field comments about things. So and I imagine the Westi's all enjoyed going back to their individual places. Thank gosh, those famous people. They could just go back to playing cards in eating him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I feel like the Hala thing was very much of a weird stretch.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna hope there's a payoff and it involves her not really talking like that, ah, because that is just silly.
Speaker 2: You didn't appreciate that you can't handle the truth joke?
Speaker 1: No, this is my this is the source of my distress, which is that was that whole monologue thing just to set up that you can't handle the truth joke was her accent, just to set up that joke. They started with that joke and they worked backwards. No, stop that, you don't have to work that hard. Calm down. It's like the Tony Dance a thing. I will accept. That was too far, dear, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, you're pretty full of yourself, But this was this was somewhat better and gave us the delightful term of endearment. You adorable baloney loaf. I'm tucking that away.
Speaker 2: Yes, a breakthrough between Zach anaphylaxis and OL.
Speaker 1: That's right. But now the wedding has been moved to the arconia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess suddenly possibly go back to We're not Afraid to be at the like that's yeah.
Speaker 1: And somebody this review I read mentioned is this going to then be the sight of the next one? Yeah, that sounds and we hope it's not. Meryl Streep, Loretta, where get some body.
Speaker 2: Or a nice bullet proof best with your.
Speaker 1: Possibly a football helmet. Meryl Streep seems like she's having a super good time though, so I would imagine she'd be she'd be cool with my wife. Loretta is working out on the coast. She'll pop in for one episode please. She's fun.
Speaker 2: Although they had no qualms about killing National Treasure Paul Rudd.
Speaker 1: So that's true, although they then immediately brought him back to where he is now almost dying again or possible he's the murder right, So I think if you play things right, you can be on this show pretty much for the entire run.
Speaker 2: I will say for these last many episodes. There's been no Saz flashbacks, that's true. We were really don't like that.
Speaker 1: Of those. Yes, I thought she would be a running commentary throughout. I'm disappointed. And also in these this huge influx of outsiders we have received, we don't see any of the apartment people anymore. Where's Zuma? Right? Uma has like Uma in this episode at all? Either?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Numa had had one line so far.
Speaker 1: This is they're just it's just like it's not the same show a little bit, but eh, it's they're fine. Everything is how many more episodes?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 1: The next next, one of which has a really stupid name, which I now know where it comes from.
Speaker 2: All right, well aright, shall we wrap that up? Shall we go them?
Speaker 1: I don't think we got a ding dong cut, so yeah, let's just move on.
Speaker 2: So next week.
Speaker 1: And why didn't nobody say when she said the ding dong thing, you want us to give them a cupcake or whatever, like a the ding dong is a thing? Oh yeah, I went to Delicious Hostess Chocolate Confection and nobody made Nobody made.
Speaker 2: That that was coming.
Speaker 1: Also, yes, come on, you can't mention that because I would now want to go to the kitchen and I have no ding Dons in the house, but my did I enjoy myself at ding dong back in the day, licking the foil at the end, just because chocolate.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yes, So next week we will discuss the ninth, the penultimate episode of season four of Only Murders in the Building. As you mentioned, the title is Escape from Planet Clongo. So all right, presumably that's a movie they all have been. And we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website, parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at Roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.