Speaker 1: The story of Hollis Daniels is one of tragedy and a series of misfortunate events. By all accounts, a crime was clearly taking place, but law enforcement could only do so much to keep up with the circumstances at hand, and eventually it resulted in the death of a police officer while they were simply trying to be kind while doing their job.
Speaker 2: My name is Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingrim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended for a mature audience listener Discretion is a.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday's whoa, this feels funny.
Speaker 1: It's the second episode of the week for the first time ever here on Wickeding Grim.
Speaker 2: How's it going well, kind of because sometimes we have Halloween Week.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, but the full episode, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, first week we'redale.
Speaker 1: I'm doing it two times a week, so it's the first time actually putting it out two times in a week for that attended schedule.
Speaker 2: It feels kind of funny. It does feel funny, It does feel weird. Yeah, Like, it kind of feels like it's the start of the week, but it's actually the end of the week.
Speaker 1: It also feels weird in the aspect that I usually am like researching the episode right up until we record, and I had this episode like research days ago.
Speaker 2: Look at you.
Speaker 1: So I almost like feel like I'm rusty on the knowledge of this case. But I've got it all written down in a script. I think I'll be fine.
Speaker 2: You deserve a round of applause.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, you dig well done. You did clap for me, So I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 1: Guess what, that's what. I got a haircut today, and then I made chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 2: You did. I came home from a photoshoot and I think I've already eaten four. You've eaten four.
Speaker 1: You've had four cookies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know?
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Well that was sort of my dinner. I didn't have dinner.
Speaker 1: You had cookies for all right, okay.
Speaker 2: I chocolate chip cookies and milk for dinner.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And now I'm drinking orange juice and coconut water all.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So this is all about health.
Speaker 2: Clearly, I'm pretty much a child, really, or like living the child's best life right now.
Speaker 1: We are disasters, clearly because I didn't have dinner either. I just I don't know. I think I had three cookies.
Speaker 2: So you had the same fucking thing for dinner, and you're bitching me out for it.
Speaker 1: But I was like making the cookies, so I like had one and then next batch I had another, and then I just didn't eat dinner, you know.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that's any different at least.
Speaker 1: I didn't intend to eat cookies for dinner.
Speaker 2: Neither did I. I came home.
Speaker 1: And ate four cookies because there was.
Speaker 2: Cookies and I needed dinner, and we have to record this, and here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you intended to eat four cookies for dinner.
Speaker 2: I did not know there was going to be cookies when I got home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you saw them like I'm eating four cookies for dinner.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't actually think that anyway. Geez.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is not a cookie podcast. We're going to go into this case right away because we rambled, but I will before we go into the case tell you that when we do thank patrons, we are going to continue to thank them on our Tuesday episode. Makes sense, so if you sign up for Patreon lists in the link is in the description below. By the way, we will be thanking at the beginning of the week on Tuesdays for whoever does sign it perfect. Yeah, Okay, have you ever heard the name Hollis Daniels before? Now, no, Well, I'm going to tell you all about who Hollis is. So, Hollis was a student at Texas Tech University. He was a young man with a very promising future. He grew up in Seguin, Texas, which is a small city just east of San Antonio. He came from a prominent local family, with his father serving as a city councilman and a former mayor actually of Seguin as well. His parents were the owners of all the local movie theaters in the area too, So there was like there were very well known and very well respected in the community. You know, they had some status, they had some money, and he was raised in this very well off environment and family. Okay, Now, it is unclear if the traffic stop that occurred shortly here after that we'll talk about was routine or targeted, but either way, he was pulled over. Hollis Daniels was pulled over this one evening. Now, once they ran his license plate. After pulling him over this evening, they knew exactly who he was. Of course, being prominent in the community, his parents being known and everything, and the police were very happy to talk with Hollis on this one particular evening because Hollis had recently been reported well, a report had been put in regarding Hollis. So one of Hollis's friends had called the police to report a disturbance that occurred at their home near the Texas Tech campus, one that involved Hollis. According to the reports, the friend named Leo, reported that Hollis was under the influence of drugs and had became involved in a heated argument. During this altercation, Hollis at some point stole a forty five caliber pistol from his friend when it was unnoticed at the fire or when it was noticed that the firearm was missing. He told Hollis to return the firearm, but Hollis denied ever taking it and left. Now, this friend, Leo, made the report to authorities, and now here we are with Hollis pulled over on the side of the road.
Speaker 2: Well, could someone else have potentially taken it? We assumes it was Hollis.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, there was no one else really there like it was there. There was a heated argument, then Hollis left and the guns now, so it was kind of clear that, hey, something's going on here, but Hollis strictly denies, Hey, I didn't take it right. And Hollis immediately began facing the questions about what happened at Leo's place with the officers. He told police there was a bit of an altercation, he got knocked down, but he was very adamant there was nothing that occurred that would have been deemed assault. He's like, yeah, you know, kind of got knocked to the ground and he's like, there's no assault involved. You can actually watch bodycam footage of all this occurring. And he continued to tell them about how he had lost his phone at his friend Leo's place, and he was searching for it, but he had no idea about any sort of stolen gun or lost gun nor anything. Now the police they pressed and they asked him if he had any weapons or drugs on him, to which he simply said no. Now, after Hollis Is asked to step out of the vehicle for the questioning, another officer shows up and this at the scene and the conversation continues with them trying to figure out exactly what is going on. Leo says a gun was stolen. Hollis says he has no idea about anything. So with two sides saying different things, officers need to clear the air. They asked Hollis, since you have no drugs or weapons on you, do you mind if we search your car to corroborate what you're saying, to which Hollis refused.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So that kind of looks a little a little bit guilty, I guess, But also sometimes some people might just say fuck no, like it'll weren't kind of thing, right? Was this also fair in a sense?
Speaker 1: It is, And that's Hallis wasn't really giving anything one way or another, whether I mean he was suspicious or not. He's just like, I do not consent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's not necessary Like I mean, it seems comes across guilty, but also it's sort of your right.
Speaker 1: It is, you're right. So and unfortunately for the officers this meant that they couldn't do anything. The allegations they were chasing were exactly that, just allegations. They didn't have a search warrant to go into his vehicle or any lawful reason to actually go against his consent and search it anyways, So they had no choice. They didn't have anything on Hollis. They just pulled him over. It was talking to him and like all right, you can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's like, who do you believe kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing exactly now. Hindsight is twenty twenty, however, and if the officers only knew what they knew now, that traffic stop would have gone much different. See Hollis, although coming from a very well respected family and a very nurturing home, had a significant behavioral and substance abuse issue starting in his high school years. Over time, his drug use intensified, leading him to struggle with his addiction. His substance abuse issues were compounded by significant mental health struggles as well, particularly depression. This created a vicious cycle of self medication and impaired judgment. His family was acutely aware of his struggles with both mental health and substance abuse, and the problems that began in high school seemed to only worsen during the time he was now attending university. And though drug abuse and mental health issues do not mean someone is a bad person or capable of horrible things, in this case, it would certainly push Hallis over the edge.
Speaker 2: Shit, I was kind of rooting for Hallis, not gonna lie understandable.
Speaker 1: Well, only a few hours after being pulled over at that traffic stop, at about two am on October ninth, twenty seventeen, Hallis's roommate reported hearing a gunshot in the dorms. The shot came from Hollis's room. Now, I do want to clarify. The dorm room seemed to be like not just like a single room with a couple beds inside that we think of in like movies. Seems like there's like a small living area and like a couple rooms that go off in each dorm. So his room is within a dorm room that contains a few rooms, like.
Speaker 2: A pod kind I've seen that, yeah, exactly, kind of like a.
Speaker 1: Pod sort of thing. So the shot came from Hollis's room, and his friend texted him to ask what happened, but Hallis just replied he had dropped something, okay, which is a blatant bly. I mean, that wasn't you dropped something that was a gunshot? Right?
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: So this was immediately reported to police, who would soon arrive at the scene. Now, the police that arrived were the Texas Tech University Police, so there are police specifically employed by the university, and they made their way to his room and conducted a welfare check on Hollis. Before police were unable to search his vehicle as they didn't have a search warrant. Now, however, things were different this time. They were able to conduct a welfare check due to the gunshot, which is a matter of public safety, so a warrant was well not warranted.
Speaker 2: Right right, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Sorry, So they knocked on his door at room one thirty four and there was no answer, so they forced entry into his room via a key they were given by the university staff. Now, I do want to clarify they didn't atually knock on his door. Within the door. They knocked in the dorm room one thirty four. No one answered, but when they did enter, one of his roommates was like just getting out of bed. He's like, oh, sorry, officers, I was sleeping sort of thing. So they talked to the friend and then got Halliss's room and yeah.
Speaker 2: That seems so interesting. A gunshot just went off in your pod and you're sleeping.
Speaker 1: Well it was there was some time that had gone by. It wasn't like a few.
Speaker 2: Mens, I guess, but still jeez.
Speaker 1: No. Anyways, when they went to Halliss's room, he wasn't there, but they found some stuff inside that were rather concerning. Immediately, the first thing they saw was a pistol sitting on a shelf in the room. It was quickly, however, discovered to be an air powered baby gun, though, so it wasn't anything illegal. It wasn't a firearm. It was just kind of like, oh, that looks suspicious. Okay, wait, never mind, it's just a bebgun. We're all good. Probably shouldn't have it on a campus. But still nothing illegal going on, so it wasn't something it could have made the sound, and they continued to search. This wasn't the only thing that they found in his room. Different types of illicit drugs were uncovered all throughout his room. The more they searched, the more drugs they found. Drawers were full of them, and there was far more than just that would be considered personal or recreational use. While in the middle of the search, suddenly a student poked their head into the room, looking confused. The police asked their name and they immediately replied with Andreas. Now immediately a reply came to that name and it was the roommate and he said, no, it's not he was calling bullshit. It was Hollis, Oh.
Speaker 2: Shit, okay, and something that you just said. The drugs, like there was more than he would need for himself personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't really clarify how much was in his room, okay, but there was a lot in his room, a lot more to just say, like, this is not recreational.
Speaker 2: Okay, not necessarily that he's like selling them or anything, just.
Speaker 1: It potentially could be by the sound of it, but also from the visuals of what I've seen, it's not like he's just like offloading like tens of thousands of dollars of drugs. It's just much more than one person needs, okay, of multiple types. Huh, it's hard. It's really hard to get a pin on how much drugs he had.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so interesting too that he just threw through his fucking roommate under the bus, like that was saying that he's a different name.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, honestly, you have police searching your dorms, you have a potential gun that's stolen or lost, you have a potential gun shot going off. There's drugs riddled throughout this roommate's room. All of this could potentially affect your school, your grades, and how you're going to graduate. I'm sorry, I probably fucking do the same thing. I'm like that bullshit.
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean, like hall is saying someone else, Oh that's what I meant. Well, of course, like he was just like easily said that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it was like he didn't just like, what's your name, Andreas, It was like, what's your name? He's like, uh, Andreas. Okay, because they again body cam footage, you can watch them, yeah, yeah, but anyways, they're like, clearly, this is not Andreas. Police immediately detained him and they figured out, yes, it was Hollis. So they did a full pat down on him, feeling around his person for the alleged firearm and whatever else he may have. They didn't find a gun, but they did find that he was faring carrying a large amount of pills that were not prescribed to him. Now, they read the miranda rights to him as they began questioning him. They couldn't say much to the drugs that are so he couldn't say much to the drugs that were found, other than trying to downplay it all and said that they were just recreational purposes, you know, just like shit, I got a couple a lot of drugs. He's just trying to like make it not sound as bad as it is, right, Yeah, And he denied hearing any sort of gunshot as well, and even tried to use the traffic stop from a few hours ago as an alibi to say he couldn't have been there in the room when the gun went off because he was pulled over by another officer earlier. Yeah. So he's even like, I bet you if you look at like the traffic ticket or like the files or anything, you'll see the time and it will will not match when the gunshot went off. So he's trying to like say.
Speaker 2: This, I thought that he just dropped something. He's now using a different story.
Speaker 1: Hey, what do you mean he dropped something?
Speaker 2: Well, his friend texted what was that? And he dropped something?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, Oh.
Speaker 2: Whoa that went way over your head?
Speaker 1: Eh yeah I did. I was like, what do you mean, what gotcha? No? Yeah no, he was just trying to say like, yeah, no, it wasn't me. So now, whether he was involved in the shot that was fired had yet to be determined, but for now he was going to be under arrest for the possession of large amount of illegal substances. He was handcuffed, walked outside, and on his way outside, he asked if he quickly, you know, bend down tie a shoe, but he was denied the request before being placed in the back of the squad car and driven away. Now, once Officer Floyd East and Officer Tyler Snelson, who had been conducting the investigation so far at Texas Tech University from the Texas Tech University Police Department for this whole process, they took him for further processing. Now, when they brought him inside, everything up to this point had been going, you know, fine. Hollis sure gave a fake name, but he'd been very cooperative. He hasn't been showing signs of violence. He wasn't really reluctant to answer any questions when they were talking to him. He was, you know, being honest. At times. He was like, you know, I don't like when they're searching his room. He's like, you know, I don't consent to the search. They're like, you can't really say that, you know, it's a welfare check sort of things. He's all right, sort of you know. So he's being very reasonable, a very reasonable individual for the situation. And at approximately seven fourteen, Officer East took Hollis's handcuffs off as he entered the booking room to make him a little bit more comfortable. After all, sitting in the handcuffs for hours, it is probably not the most relaxing thing to do, and so with his behavior up to this point, is why East took his handcuffs off. Now they all sat down and began to process the paperwork. Officer Snelson soon left the room and allowed Officer East to continue on his own. Everything had been routine up until now, nothing was out of the ordinary. It was standard for booking. However, at approximately seven point forty five, about half an hour later, while Officer East was completing the paperwork for Hollis Daniels and his booking a shot rung off through the station. The gunshot caused immediate chaos and confusion within the police department. Bodycam footage shows Officer Snelson, gun drawn, heading to the booking room. Though it doesn't show what he finds inside, we do know he sees his partner Officer East slumped over in his chair with his body cam torn away. He was shot dead, and Hollis was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I thought that they padded him down though they were checked him.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck. So there was where the hell was the gun?
Speaker 1: We'll get to that. There was a single forty five caliber cartridge laying on the ground in the room, and strangely enough, the shell did not match the police issued pistol that was still on Officer East's hip in the holster. So Officer E still had his pistol and there was another shell. Yeah, okay, So they quickly cleared the building in search of the now active shooter on a school campus. No shit, but he was gone. He made his getaway and was no longer in the building. The campus community was alerted to the situation and students and staff were advised to shell they're in place as an immediate lockdown was issued on Texas Tech University campus and a manhunt for Hollis began.
Speaker 2: Did he kill this police officer?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Or have you not announced that yet, Officer East? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, like he's dead. Officer East was shot dead.
Speaker 2: He just fucking killed him, just like that. Okay, Wow, this Hollist guy. What a fucker. I was like thinking, I don't know, feeling bad for him a little bit.
Speaker 1: You were kind of rooting for him. I feel that I get you there.
Speaker 2: Because I think it was sort of his whole mental health issues that he was having, and like, I know how much that sucks and can be like so draining and just brutal. But yeah, uh, he sucks.
Speaker 1: No, he does. And to be honest, like I was rooting for him too, because that sort of shit is not easy, no, and so like I was rooting for him too, but until he goes too far.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he just literally took someone's life. Holy shit, did Okay. I wasn't really expecting that.
Speaker 1: So multiple law enforcement agencies, including Camp police, local police, and other emergency responders, coordinated their efforts together to try and find Hollis. Officers spread out across the campus and surrounding areas, utilizing all available resources that they could to find him. Authorities released a description of him and warned the public that he was armed and dangerous. The alert described him as wearing a white T shirt and dark pants, and the public was instructed to contact police immediately if they happened to see him.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, now this is like pretty scary because you know what, he is capable.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly now. Thankfully, though, it didn't take long before Hollis Daniels was found. He was found near Lubbock, sorry, Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. I stumbled out my bad, which is situated on the Texas Tech University campus and relatively close to the police station where the shooting actually occurred. So he actually never did leave the campus. So Hollis was quickly apprehended with out further incident at around nine thirty PM, approximately an hour and forty five minutes after the shooting had taken place. So while the search for him was occurring, a forty five caliber pistol was found discarded in a storm drain on campus. This not only was proven to be the murder weapon, but the stolen firearm from Hollis's friend Leo. Now, the question remained, though, how did Hollis manage to hide the gun from authorities and smuggle it into the police station while he was being detained? You had a question already, and what was it?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've moved on to another question, but it was basically like how the heck he had this where it was like, was where the hell was the gun?
Speaker 1: Because you said what they did a full pat down?
Speaker 2: Right they did? Yeah? I remember you saying, that's what's your new question? Jeez my brain. Okay, Well, because I know I don't understand this. It just makes no sense to me that someone would go to the length of like murdering a police officer and then just like being found so soon after, like you think that you would just I don't know. That just seems like such lengths to just be like here. Yeah, I am kind of like, it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Really, I wholeheartedly agree with you. There's I can't find reason for any of this, if I'm being honest, other than hey, substance abuse and mental health.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true, because I mean, gosh, to take a life like that, God, you think you would just run for the goddamn hills and never be found.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't really even go very far.
Speaker 2: So what was the point of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, we're going to back up though, how did he actually get the gun into the police officer officer station while he was being detained? And he did go through a full pat down, So I'm going to go through everything on how it occurred. Are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, Okay, I'm very intrigued here.
Speaker 1: In order for all this to happen, everything had to go perfectly, and by perfectly, I don't mean according to plan or anything not like Hollis planned this out. It's just a matter of a domino effect where one thing leads to another and to another, and if it doesn't happen exactly as it did, then Hollis would have never, never have been able to murder Officer East in cold blood.
Speaker 2: I already hate this. Then you want those domino effects to go when it's like in someone's favor, yes, and this is not.
Speaker 1: No, it did not go in anyone's favor. So while Hollis was being searched in the dorms, the officers did not cut any corners and do an insufficient job. They did their job correctly. They turned out his pockets, they had him raise his arms, they felt his torso is, waistline, you name it. They did it all. Yet the entire time, they never felt the gun that was tucked into the front of his pants. They didn't feel it because everything. Sorry, every time Hollis moved or the officers patted his body, the gun shifted and fell further into his pants. Each time they felt around they might have just missed the gun, and the gun slipped further. And then they put their hand where the gun was, and then it slipped further, always missing the gun, while always insuring they still padded down completely and sufficiently. Damn, really, they missed contact the entire process until eventually the gun slid. The gun had slid down his pant leg, coming to a rest in the bottom cuff of his pants when the search ended.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that seems impossible.
Speaker 1: But that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: From here, as Hollis was being led from the dorm, he asked to stop and tie his shoe. Yep, the request was denied, but it is assumed at this point he was hoping to retrieve the gun, but he was not allowed to. Regardless, he was put back into the police car, into the back seat. At this point, the gun actually fell out of his pant leg onto the floor of the police cruiser, and if they actually watched back the footage in the cruiser, you can audibly hear a thud no with the cuffs still on his wrist behind his back, Hollis managed to maneuver the gun back into place and tuck it into his sock without being noticed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: How I don't know, Like I say, the perfect domino.
Speaker 2: Effect, because in the video you can literally see that or hear whatever. The gun fully fell out of his pants.
Speaker 1: It's not like super loud, but you can hear a.
Speaker 2: Thud, so like it was out of his pants. It was out of this He managed to do that?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: From here. Once inside the station, Officer East's kindness was the final thing that Hollis needed. Officer East, having compassion, he removed Hollis's handcuffs because of his so far good behavior, and he began the processing.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: There is security footage from the booking room which shows Hollis tying his shoe where he is actually retrieving the pistol. From here, he waits the right moment. He strikes up a conversation with Officer East by asking about his family and his kids, and then in that moment he raises the gun, shooting and killing Officer East.
Speaker 2: What the shit he's asking him about his family?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And then he kills them.
Speaker 1: Yes. Later in court Hollis recalled why he asked about his family right before shooting him, to which he responded that he thought it would be a good final thought before he died. Like, holy, that is fucking cold blood.
Speaker 2: Whoa that is nasty. Yeah, And so this guy had like a family and kids and shit.
Speaker 1: I didn't research on on his family exactly, but I do know he had he had kids, and he had a family. But other than that, I don't know the extent of them.
Speaker 2: What a fucker. Wow wow wow.
Speaker 1: Yep, so Hollis. Alvin Daniels, the third, was charged with the capital murder of Officer Floyd East Junior, a charge that carries severe penalties, including the possibility of the death penalty or life imprisonment without parole. His defense team, not surprisingly focused on his extensive history of mental health issues and drug addiction. They argued that these factors significantly impaired his judgment and behavior at the time of the shooting, which I'm sure it did, but it's still no exit. And to me, you know what, if he's sitting here asking about family, that shows me he was not impaired whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, personally, he knew what he was doing and he like, oh gosh, he had so many, so much time to change his mind of that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So. After several years of legal proceedings and maneuvering and pre trial activities, a pivotal moment in the case occurred in August of twenty twenty one, when Hollis Daniels entered a plea agreement to avoid the death penalty. He pleaded guilty to the charge of capital murder. As part of the plea agreement, Hollis was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The agreement and sentencing brought a mix of emotions from the community and Officer East family. While justice was served through the conviction and sentencing, the loss of Officer East continued to weigh heavily on those who knew and loved him about Officer East. Officer Floyd East, Junior was a dedicated law enforcement officer who served pridefully at Texas Tech University. He was born and raised in El Paso, Texas, and was known for his strong commitment and community service and had a passion for helping others. Upon joining the Texas Tech University Police Department, Officer East quickly became a respected and loved member of the campus community. His colleagues and students alike admired his professionalism, kindness, and dedication to ensuring the safety and well being of everyone on campus. He was known for his friendly demeanor and his ability to connect with students, often going above and beyond his duties to offer support in guidance. Officer East was not only a committed officer, but also devoted family man. He was married and had two daughters. That is the extent of what I really know, but they do. They were the light for him. His family and friends remember him as a loving husband, a father who always put his family first. Leg He is one of dedication selfishness. In the wake of his death, numerous tributes and memorials were held in honor of his memory. Vigils and memorial services were held at Texas Tech University and in El Paso alike. In honor of him, scholarships and awards have been established to support students pursuing careers in law enforcement and criminal justice. Officer east legacy continues to inspire others in the law enforcement community and beyond. Officer Floyd East, Junior was sworn in at the Texas Tech Police on May first, twenty seventeen. He had only been with the Texas Tech University Police Department for about five months before he was tragically killed at the hands of Hollis Daniels.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, that is just like, I mean, gosh, motes, murders and stuff are very unnecessary, but that is just like, Oh, it's his heart wrenching.
Speaker 1: Really it is. Well, the compassion that he had. Yeah, he allowed Hollis out of cuffs, which I'm going to argue here. I don't know if it would have been the final thing. I think Hollis might have been able to still get away with this even in cuffs.
Speaker 2: Well, I think a lot of times you see, like when they're in the interrogation room, that the criminals aren't necessarily.
Speaker 1: Oh cuffs, Yeah, definitely. So there was protocols that were followed, and I don't think there was anything bad that was done in how it was executed. It just so happened that he managed to get through it all with a gun still at his person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this poor man was just like, you know, trying to make the world a better place and helping out and I mean, yeah, they put themselves in that sort of situation. Right, but it just never should have to come to be I agree, like, gosh, yeah, like you said, the dominos, because he was searched till it's just like.
Speaker 1: He was searched for. I don't know if anyone's heard this.
Speaker 2: I know if your phone was going nuts, I don't know why I'm trying to ignore it.
Speaker 1: You need to put it on side.
Speaker 2: Well, I generally do. Out of like two hundred episodes, this is the only episode. Well, maybe there's been one other.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's fine. It's probably Melissa. Just tell her to shut up. Yeah, so it was. That's exactly what it was. It's the perfect storm, if you will, domino effect, or if in the safety world I'm falling back of my safety history again, they call it the Swiss cheese effect, where it's like all the holes just happened to line up properly for the accident to occur. So, and that's exactly what it was. It's like all the Swiss cheese happens to line up for a perfect hole for something to fall through. And that's exactly this scenario. You could not have foreseen this, you could not have prevented it. He did a bad thing. He knew it was going to do a bad thing, and he just so happened to have the weapon to do it.
Speaker 2: It's still honestly been surprising to me that he went that far. I know, like it's a bit shocking.
Speaker 1: And in because I saw some stuff with him afterwards, like in the rooms and stuff like that, like when he was actually arrested and stuff after the fact, and he's like doing a phone call and he's talking to like his sister and dad, and he seems fine, like he's not crying or like really remorsefully. It's just like he almost seems like it's no big deal. He's going to get out soon. Sort of situation.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm. Yeah, that does sort of, I mean seem like some sort of meant like quite a mental health disorder there. It's like a switch, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, still, gosh, he took a life, and yeah, that is just so bad.
Speaker 1: Throughout any of the video that I saw with him, he was very much so calm, cool and collected, and he just I don't know, even though he'd taken a life, he's still the same.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's bizarre. Yeah, so scary.
Speaker 1: That's a story of Hollis Daniels and Officer Floyd East Junior.
Speaker 2: Huh shit, Yeah, so that's like that's uh, I don't know, gosh, I mean lots of times at the end of the episodes, I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Speechless, don't know what to say. Yeah, but this was.
Speaker 2: Like really got me because it was just all a little bit unexpected, and it's just it's kind of hard to explain, right, like, yeah, why the fuck that happened?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing, because there's interviews with the Texas Tech Police Department and they're like, why did this happen? And it's like, what the fuck do they say? Mm hmm, it happened. No one did anything wrong.
Speaker 2: It just well no, and like those people too that did pat him down, they probably feel so bad, but they didn't, like they didn't you don't do anything wrong. But I can only imagine that that just like.
Speaker 1: Well, it was Officer Snelson and Officer East that patted.
Speaker 2: Oh it was then that fucking padded Yeah, okay, for some reason I thought it was others. Oh gosh, yeah, okay. It just keeps getting worse.
Speaker 1: They were the ones who who went to the call of led shooting. Which, by the way, there was I don't know how the time in between them showing up to the dorms and the actual leed shooting happening, but there was like some fresh like cover up on the wall, like paint or something, some putty, so he like he clearly put a fucking hole in the wall and like tried to cover it up and then took off right away.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, Well, on that note, should we go continue eating our dinner.
Speaker 1: A chocolate sounds great? Oh my god, We're gonna have a glass of pepto bismo with it. Anyways, thank you for being here for the very first official Friday episode for our podcast. If you want to check out any of the links, join us on Patreon. Links are all in the description of this podcast. If you want to give us a review, we really appreciate that. If you want to check us out on you Tube, this is all being filmed. If you're on YouTube, you can check us out on Spotify, Apple Podcasts too. There's a much larger library audio only. We're coming up on two hundred episodes.
Speaker 2: So wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We only have I think like twenty recorded that are on YouTube. We can't go back and video record audio only stuff.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 1: We can't. Surprisingly, we don't have a time machine. But going forward, everything's gonna be video and we will be putting it on YouTube, so you can check it out there, or audio, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, you name it, wherever you get your podcasts. Yeah, yeah, there you go, there you go. Wanti words from Nicole. All right, well, thanks for being here. We will see you on Tuesday, and until then, stay wicked.