Speaker 1: Tired of the every day grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape Escape Design to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are high on the frozen slopes of the Great Mountain, terrified and caught in a blizzard, while the thing for which you've been hunting has suddenly become the hunter. And if it finds you, then for you and your companions there can be no escape.
Speaker 3: So listen now as Escape brings you Anthony Ellis's exciting story The Abominable Snowman.
Speaker 1: Our first bit of luck was when we hired our shepherd guide, Nassang, that was in Darjeeling.
Speaker 2: When I told Nasang.
Speaker 1: What we were after, he hesitated for a moment, and then he said.
Speaker 4: These shybes have not come to climb shomolongma.
Speaker 1: Oh no, we're a little late for that. It's already been done. The other two sibs and myself are here for the reason I told.
Speaker 4: You met too, kungmy that's right. These ships always hired me to climb the mountain with them. By never this, are you afraid of them? I have seen one.
Speaker 2: You've seen one?
Speaker 4: Yes, many of us have seen them.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Alan, Yeah, what's up?
Speaker 2: I meant of viewing as sherpa. And he says he's seen one of the things. He was rank. We'll have to give some tobacco, all right, Come on in. I think this is a.
Speaker 1: Man, all right, Nasang. This is mister Ferris sab Helon Nasan. Nasan was telling me about what he'd seen. Go ahead, Nasan.
Speaker 4: It has a face that is evil. And when it saw me, it uttered a strange cry and bounded away, sometimes leaping, sometimes running with great strides. It was dusk, and after a moment I lost sight of it in this snow. Where were you with the French expedition? It was at nineteen thousand feet And show my luma halfar away from it, thirty feet perhaps thirty five.
Speaker 2: You're sure it wasn't an eight?
Speaker 4: I am sure. There is no ape in Imarria to make such a track for about bears. These two I have been asked. But does a bear walk always upon its hind legs?
Speaker 1: Well that's enough for me, Alan, Yeah, he'll do. But if you want the job in the song, you're hired.
Speaker 4: You are going to try to capture a YETI. Yes, it will be a difficult thing, but I will serve with you.
Speaker 1: Yetty wild man net or Kung me abominable snowman. That's the name the natives had for the things, and all on Ferris, Frank Davis and I were going to try to get one. We'd all done some climbing, but climbing was secondary here. Expeditions since the beginning of the twentieth century had heard of the abominable snowmen, observed their tracks, and one or two white men claim to have seen them. Great ape, bear, monkey wild men. We didn't know, but we were going to find out. Four weeks later, we were in the Wrong Book Valley for our interview at the monastery with a lama. The journey from our base had been uneventful. The weather was good and our spirits were high. From the lama's window, we could see the great peak of Everest in the distance.
Speaker 5: Why gentlemen, do you desire to capture Meto Kung.
Speaker 1: Because we believe it will be an invaluable aid in our prehistoric research. That is, if these things are in any way human, and.
Speaker 5: For this reason, then you have formed the expedition yes, you are all familiar with climbing.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are.
Speaker 6: You would need to be the.
Speaker 5: Yetty move at high places, dangerous places, so my people tell me. Also, the monsoons are arriving in a short time.
Speaker 2: I understand that.
Speaker 1: Then, do we have your permission to investigate in the valley and beyond?
Speaker 6: You have my permission. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: There is one point, however, I must request that no wild animal or being in this very be shocked.
Speaker 2: Our religion does not allow it.
Speaker 1: Well respect your wishes, sir. Now may I ask you one more thing? Of course, my son, do you believe in the existence of metal Kangni?
Speaker 5: I myself have never seen them, but I know that they live here above the valley on the Goddess Mother of the world. It is all so true that at least five and possibly more inhabit the upper Wrong Book and its glacials.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Do you have portons?
Speaker 2: Our guide? Nassang is hiring them now.
Speaker 5: I trust that he meets with good fortune.
Speaker 1: The old man with great dignity about slightly to us, and we were dismissed.
Speaker 2: But I thought I saw the shadow.
Speaker 1: Of a smile on his lips as he turned away, and It wasn't long before I found out why. Nasang returned to us in our quarters, and his face warned of bad news.
Speaker 4: Sir, I am unable to hire any porters.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 4: They know the purpose of the expedition. They will not go.
Speaker 2: Why they are afraid the snowmen.
Speaker 4: Yes, they live in peace with them. They wish no trouble. They are afraid.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, it'll be rough, but we can't waste time talking them into it. The monsoons will be coming in a couple of weeks. It's not the same as climbing Everest. We will travel light. Just the four of us, set up a base and start hunting, all right with you, fellows? Yeah, sure, Nasan, I will.
Speaker 4: Go with you. I am not afraid.
Speaker 2: God. Well, let's take a look at the man.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Will each carry a capacity load. We should be able to make this point below the glacier in two days. That's sixteen thousand feet And if ore abominable snowmen are in the vicinity, we've got two weeks to find them when we start tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Good. Well, that's it, Paul, Yes.
Speaker 7: Rak one thing? Or what do the natives mean when they say they don't want any trouble with the.
Speaker 4: Things superstition probably, Oh no, sad, it is not superstition. It is because the YETI are cannibals. That is why reporters are a.
Speaker 2: The weather turned ugly that day we left the village.
Speaker 1: A cold Tibetan wind blew down from the west, and with our heavy packs it took us much longer than we'd thought to arrive at the point just below the Wrong Boo Glacier. We set up a camp and made ourselves as comfortable as we could.
Speaker 2: The next morning wasn't so bad.
Speaker 1: There was a heavy overcast, a promise of snow, and the peak of Everest looming over us was shrouded in clouds. The four of us sat in the tent, looking at our charts and drinking hot tea.
Speaker 7: I figured it'd be easiest if we started at the east glacier. It's only about three miles from here, and where the weather is sinking as it is, we won't run too much of a risk.
Speaker 6: What do you think, bo Well, that sounds all right.
Speaker 2: What do you say we split up, you and the song Alan and me.
Speaker 1: We'll work up on either side of the ridge here and if we spot any tracks, fire two shots. Yeah, now the big thing though, No matter what, don't shoot at the thing if you do see it. Okay, okay, all right. If we lose touch with each other, we'll meet back here at five.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get going.
Speaker 1: We'd left the base at six that morning, and the going was rough. Alan was pretty well shot by the time we got to the seventeen thousand foot mark. He was having a tough time breathing, and the wind had come up again, and with it a fine, powdery snow that blinded choked us.
Speaker 2: Hey, I gotta take fine all right, Yeah, I'm over over here. It might cut some of the wind.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, oh, that's better. We might as well start back for the base. We couldn't see anything in this anyhow. You know, right now, I don't care whether we're doing.
Speaker 2: This is good weather, waiting until the monsoon start?
Speaker 4: No, no, not me.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, I never been so cool in all my life. We stayed in the half shelter of an overhang for ten minutes, and the wind was quieter and the snow at letter. I noticed that the tracks we'd made coming into the shelter were gone now, but we didn't have any worry finding our way back. I figured that Frank and Nassang had met pretty much the same thing on their side.
Speaker 2: Of the ridge, and we'd meet them at the base. So Alan and I picked ourselves up and started off. Boy, I thought I was in pretty good shape. But up here, boy, I'm not, Paul, I'm tired again.
Speaker 1: We'll just take it easy going down. You haven't got frostfined, have you?
Speaker 4: No? No, not yet? But what the left there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They're not our tracks, not unless you took your boots off on the way up. Must have just passed by, must have seen us. Yeah, come on, we were looking at a set of tracks newly made in the fresh snow, and.
Speaker 2: They'd passed so close to us shutter that.
Speaker 1: The thing must have known we were there. They weren't the tracts of a bear or an ape, but more like a splay footed, naked foot, the tracks of the abominable snowmen.
Speaker 3: We will return to escape in just a moment, But first thirty million school children make their way back to class this year. There are just ten million too many for existing school facilities. Contact Better Schools to West forty fifth Street, New York, nineteen for information on ending this menace. To America's educational standards, and now back to escape.
Speaker 1: We began to follow the tracks, and for a while, perhaps one hundred and fifty yards, it was easy. And then the thing made a leftwood traverse down a deep slope. We could see the Prince clearly angling with a side step, as share footed as a mountain goat, except that it was walking on two lakes.
Speaker 2: His way. Take it easy, any staper, Why I think you can't climb?
Speaker 4: Hold up all I think?
Speaker 1: And he dropped out of sight over the lip of the crevasse. We went roped together. I got as close as I dared to the edge. The loose snow crumbled away from my outstretched body, and I looked down into the blue black darkness below, falling away into nothingness.
Speaker 2: He was gone, finished.
Speaker 1: All I could think of was the noise he'd made when he went over. Surprise, angry, then silence. The crevass might have been five hundred feet or five thousand. Snow started to fall again, big flakes this time, and wet. I stood up and across the gap twenty feet away, I saw the tracks of the thing continuing on and away until they became lost in the blank whiteness of the glacier. It had jumped and landed still upright on the opposite side. I went back to the base, and an hour later Frank and the song returned. I told them, and we were quiet for a long time.
Speaker 6: Then all are we going on again tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 6: I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: We should go back. It is an omen.
Speaker 1: I tell you, he was going too fast. He didn't have a chance to see the cravass. That's not an an When it's bad sense.
Speaker 4: Made to Kung. We cannot be gone.
Speaker 2: We'll catch him.
Speaker 6: But there are only three of us. If we had a few more men.
Speaker 1: I tell you, the thing was so close that if we'd looked up at the right time, we'd have seen it.
Speaker 2: You think I'm going to give up now? Next time we'll get it.
Speaker 7: There was no chance to get allan out. No, you think if we went back.
Speaker 2: Listen, you think I don't want to. He's gone. I tried, but he's gone.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, I wish that winded letter.
Speaker 1: Maybe by morning we'll try again tomorrow. It was cold that night, and somehow colder because Alan was gone. I heard Frank tossing around, and I knew he was thinking about a body broken and lonely, lost somewhere in a deep and dark place.
Speaker 2: Owning.
Speaker 1: The three of us packed our gear, camera, food, and there was a light pack and we started up again, this time to a crest above the ridge. It was tougher than it looked, and we weren't even halfway up before we.
Speaker 2: Had to rest.
Speaker 1: But as a look to the west, I saw clouds boiling up, not white but somber threatening, and below the valley looked grim, ugly gray, And then the sun was gone.
Speaker 2: And we kept on going up. And then I had a strange feeling.
Speaker 1: It was nothing I could see, nothing I could hear, only a sensation of being watched. Followed, Wait a minute, see something?
Speaker 2: No, I have filled it too, sade, something following us.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is me to cung me. How do you know it can be nothing else?
Speaker 1: At the site? There nothing here, said, Maybe it's curious. Now, don't turn around, Frank, listen. When we got up to the crest, you two flop down, Stay in sight of.
Speaker 6: The slope here, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Move around the hump and watch. If it thinks we're all together, it may come close enough to give us.
Speaker 2: A chance to get it. You better watch a step. It looks nasty. I will now come on.
Speaker 1: It took us another fifteen minutes to get up to the crest, and then Frank and Nassang hunched down to rest.
Speaker 2: They were in clear view of the slope we just descended.
Speaker 1: I moved back out of sight and made my way toward the hump, which backed a long shelf on the north.
Speaker 2: Side of the crest.
Speaker 1: In a couple of minutes, I lost sight of them and of the slope. The wind had increased and the clouds had spread. Now who become an iron gray canopy over the mountain. It was getting colder again. I don't think it took over five minutes to reach my lookout point, and I did.
Speaker 2: I had a perfect view of the ground we'd covered. There was nothing there. The men were out of sight, and I.
Speaker 1: Waited a minute. Two there was nothing, and two it came carried on the wind to cry, and then shots, and I scrambled back to where I'd left them, and.
Speaker 2: When I got there.
Speaker 1: When I got there, Frank was lying on his back and I couldn't look at what was left of his face. There were terrible, deep rents in his clothing, and he was dead. The song lay huddled a few feet beyond a gun in his hand.
Speaker 4: So what is it?
Speaker 8: But metter cun me kip from behind us. Be thought I could it gone it.
Speaker 2: Killed it?
Speaker 4: Sprang it to me it is strong, shy, heugh the strain.
Speaker 2: Of ten men. All right, I reckon you sit up my leg.
Speaker 4: It is strock to me. My leg broken.
Speaker 9: I shut at it, but I missed it jumped away and who's gone.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have to figure out a way to get you down. We were four hours from camp, and with the song practically helpless, it could.
Speaker 2: Well be four days or never.
Speaker 1: I buried Frank where he was lying, then began to work down the slope. The song was in great pain. He half slid and crawled as best he could. That part of it wasn't too bad. Then we were at the bottom and there was a ledge to climb. It took well over two hours to do that, and we still had three miles of difficult to rain to cover. The stops became more freezer.
Speaker 4: Leave me here, go back.
Speaker 9: No, my leg is frozen. There is no feeling anymore. I shall not leave much longer.
Speaker 4: Don't be afore after arrest.
Speaker 2: You'll be able to go.
Speaker 4: On Sonday night comes.
Speaker 9: If we are both caught here, we both die. There will be snow, much snow. Leave me, so we're going back together.
Speaker 4: Please let me sleep, Let me sleep here. I cannot go.
Speaker 2: You've got tonsan no more. The ridge is only about a half mile from there. It won't be too.
Speaker 9: Bad, no non.
Speaker 1: Come on, son, come on, you're not going to sleep, You'll be all right.
Speaker 2: You shirt.
Speaker 1: Turned, and for an instant I saw it outlined against the snow, crouching of medium height. It was covered with thick hair. The face was reddish and bare, a semi human face. And it was not an ape. The thing made it from endous sleep and was gone.
Speaker 2: But I hid it. I knew I hit it.
Speaker 4: Was he did you kill it?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Then it will be back. It has tisted blood. You must leave me.
Speaker 1: No, get up, Get up, come up, let's go.
Speaker 9: That sound him very sorry, sad? Will you ask the hell over to make a prayer for me?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure? I well?
Speaker 9: My song, but my pay to my wife in dirty healing.
Speaker 4: He' sorry sad.
Speaker 2: The song, the song.
Speaker 1: And the darkness came and with its shadows in the snow, every hillock mound became the thing, motionless, waiting in my mind. I kept seeing it, its long arms, powerful, and the dreadful clause it must have possessed. I carried my gun and my gloved hand, but I knew that I couldn't fire it unless I was bare handed, and that met my hand would freeze to the gun. And then suddenly I felt myself slipping. It was a short incline, but when I reached the bottom, the gun was gone.
Speaker 2: I'd lost it. I got to find it.
Speaker 1: I got to find and I saw a glitter of metal in the snow ten feet away, and at the same time, above me, at the top of the bank, the thing. It stood swaying a little, looking down at me. I moved slowly, slowly, inch my way toward the gun, and as I drew closer, I kept my eyes looking up, but it didn't move, only stared down at me.
Speaker 2: And I thought I saw its.
Speaker 1: Little eyes glittering, and I thought, if the gun's frozen. Now, if it's frozen, it doesn't fire. And I was nearer to it, near enough to tick off my glove. But that moment in which I'd have to bend to pick it up. That's when it would leap down at me, tear my rod out terror. I had the gun, and I pulled the checker, and it lay there, strange, terrifying. It's blood staining the snow, and it looked at.
Speaker 2: Me, looked at me until the sound died away. It was dead, but the eyes kept on staring.
Speaker 1: It must have been the shots that loosened the snow and ice on the ridge above.
Speaker 2: I heard the sound and I ran ran.
Speaker 1: It passed me and swept on down toward the valley, the thunder of it dying in the distance, and when I went back, there was nothing there. It was buried somewhere on the tons of snow. I made my way back to the Wrong Book village.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how. I didn't remember anything for two weeks after.
Speaker 6: But I'm alive.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going back there again. That's all I know. Oh want to know.
Speaker 1: About the Abominable snow Men.
Speaker 3: Escape has brought you The Abominable Snowman, Written and directed by Anthony Ellis, starring William Conrad Is Lane. Featured in the cast were Anthony Barrett high Averbach, Jack Krushian, and Edgar barrier. The special music for Escape was composed and conducted by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 2: Next week, you are.
Speaker 1: A passenger of board a submarine making its last peaceful voyage across the sea. While unknown to you, the captain has a plan which, if it succeeds, will mean for you and the entire crew.
Speaker 2: From which there can be no escape.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Escape will bring you Marion Mosner and Francis Rosenwall's exciting story the log. You're headed in the right direction. The station is right, the network is right too. Check all time pieces and then check your local radio schedule.
Speaker 2: Let's have no slip ups.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to hear the Jack Benny Show right from the beginning when it returns to CBS Radio tonight. This is Roy Rowan speaking. This is the CBS Radio Network.