Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Davy Ward Ericson and I'm Alena Selks, and you.
Speaker 2: Are listening to sex is Medicine, your number one resource for holistic sex education. Elena and I are bringing you over twenty seven years of combined expertise in the field of holistic sexual wellness to help you integrate your body, mind, spirit, and sex.
Speaker 1: New episodes drop every Thursday morning, so make sure to like and subscribe on all your favorite listening platforms, and make sure you follow Holistic Sexology Institute on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube for your daily dose on sex is Medicine. Now let's get started.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to Sex is Medicine. I am your host, Davie word Ericson.
Speaker 1: And I am Elena Selks, and we.
Speaker 2: Are so delighted to be back with you this week. We hope that you have been loving these episodes. We've been getting lots of comments, lots of lots of good news, lots of good words, and we are once again just so honored, so delighted, so grateful to be back. You know, it was wild. Elena and I were talking like last week as we were organizing stuff for the launch, and I was looking on my computer and I was searching Sex's Medicine in my desktop, and they came up with this whole map, this whole path of us relaunching Sex's Medicine in September of twenty twenty three. So Aleida, you and not we had already planned to do this. We had, like we had recording dates scheduled for March of twenty twenty three, like you flew to Canada and we like recorded a bunch of content and we were gonna like re record Sex's Medicine episodes and relaunch Sex's Medicine September of twenty twenty three. But then my house burned down, and here we are today, so we just had to like put press pause on it for two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't believe that your house burning, like not only did we stop, but it obliterated it from our memory. Like neither you or I even remembered that we were going to do this back then as well.
Speaker 2: I mean I completely forgot. We launched a whole other podcast, Contra Talks, you know, and our and our social media person was like, why the fuck are we launching a whole new podcast that was for Lamaitashi though we had to do. We had to do a podcast just with Lamatashi. We had to do that. So so that's Contra Talks or TNTRA Talks are Lamatashi influenced Contra TACs. But you can still hear on Spotify, so make sure you like and subscribe. All right, So today we are going to be answering one of your questions. This is so, this is why your questions are so important. We are doing an entire episode to answer one question that one of y'all sent to us on Instagram or Instagram account. We're still at Authentic TNTRA. We hope that changes, but you can all search us. It's the tune the holistic sexology on Instagram everywhere else let us change our names. But Instagram's like no, you have to be authentic tantru forever, and we're like no, please, let us go anyway. On Instagram, someone sent us a question asking about can you practice tontra? Can to women practice TNTRA? Can you practice TNTRA is the same sex couple And we are here to say absolutely, of course, of course, of course, of course, but we want to make some very specific distinctions in regards to what we're referring to is tntra and how that relates to tontra for the same sex couples. Excuse my chihuahua, who is a monster who you can probably hear barking in the background, attacking random people in the background. That's my CHUAA okay, So but before we dive into that, Elena is is going to We're gonna she's gonna lead our hot topic portion for today. So okay, Elena, you're on.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, Davey. So we picked a hot topic portion that we thought would be really really tie into our topic of the day. We've came across this influencer online. He's a really prominent sex education influencer who really leans in the neo tantra realm, and he was asked this question, is it the man's fault if there is a sexless relationship? So we're gonna just play that clip for you.
Speaker 3: First couple is in sexless relationship? Whose fault is it to the man's Why? Because he has not created enough polarity, is not created enough, dominance, is not created enough surrender, He is not created enough trust. He's not put in enough effort to make sure that his woman can unferral and surrender to his masculine pull. The reality is a lot of times when you're a long term relationship, things get stale, couples get complacent, men stuff working as hard. And if a woman's withholding from you, guys, it's not her fault. It's your responsibility to actually change your energetic frequency with time, effort, and patience so that she will then open up to you. Yes, it takes effort, Yes, it requires discipline. Yes, yet she may not open up at first, and you need to recognize that that's just a reality of life.
Speaker 1: A long So I want to just pause there. It does go on for a little bit longer. He talks a little bit about with some good things about paying attention to women's sexual response and how it's a responsive desire. But I want to just pause us there because it's a long clip to get our first opinions. Davey, do you want to start us off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So, like you said, there's some there, there is some truth to what he's saying, like trust is really important and and uh, and then for we we who identify this is for cis gender women typically, that's who his audience he's talking to. Cis gender men and sis gender women and the heterosexual relationship dynamic, that's what we're talking about. So in that type of relationship dynamic, UH traditionally, yes, it's important for UH me as a woman to feel supported and to have my needs for trust and you know, and honoring and all that met. The issue for me is that that, like this conversation about, you have to be more rooted in your masculine for her to want to be to magnetize, to be magnetized. Look, I will be magnetized to you when you do the dishes without me having to fucking ask you to do the dishes. I will be If you want me to like feel more supported and to what open and blossom to you, then then stop leaving piles of your shit all over the house and making me be your mother to ask you to pick them up. So, like, one of the biggest things that makes my yoni dry up like a fucking raisin. I'm gonna cuss for this, like seriously, is when I have to be your mommy. When I have to be your mommy. And I don't know if this is specific to like gen X men specifically, And I'm gonna also say gen x white men, because you know I'm by racial, so you are always gonna get racial dynamics in this conversation because I have to fucking live them. So if I have to live them, then you get to hear about them. Right. So I will say that growing up when my my black boyfriends, like black mamas will keep their house in shape, and my black boyfriends did not need to be told that they needed to do the dishes, vacuum the carpet, da da da dah. Like I would come over to their houses and it would be absolutely spotless, impeccable, and my boyfriends would be like, well, I'll call you back after I've vacuumed and done the dishes and whatever. So I have never had an issue when I have been with black men. I have never had an issue with them leaving piles of their shit around the house. It has never been an issue. So I'm not saying the black man can't be message to I'm just telling you my dating experience, right. But with white gen x men, I am forever following you around asking you to like being your mommy. Okay, So the number one thing, it's not about you being more masculine or maybe it is. It's about you being a fifty year old man and not a fourteen year old boy. So let's start there. So, if your version of masculinity does not include vacuuming, doing the fucking laundry without me asking you to do the laundry, folding the laundry after I've done it, like cleaning the toilet bowl, like basic shit without me having to ask you to do it, book the house cleaner if you don't want to do it, Book the house cleaner. That like basic daily domestic stuff really really really meets needs for support. And this isn't just me. This is like there's articles there's about this, about like what is it called weaponized incompetence. There's articles about Sabrina Carpenter just released a whole ass album about Manchild, and like, can you just clean up your fucking shit so your your boomer mamas did not do justice. They have fucked us all up, just say it's a boomer mom thing. I watched this up close and personal because I'm married to a white man with a boomer mom, so I get to see how this ship plays out, you know, and it's definitely your conditioning. So so if you really want her vagina to be an overflowing like like nectar waterfall kind of thing. Clean up your ship. That's that's what you That is how you need to get your pole erect. That that is the poll that you need to like anger into is clean up your shit. When about me having to ask, all right, that's my rant? Sorry y'all. Sorry, I'll just bleep it out if you have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are really good insights, Davie, especially because a right, I hear you saying that it doesn't meet your needs for respect, right and help support those things right, so that fosters an environment where you might have feelings of anger or resentment towards your partner, and those are not good for connection and intimacy. But in addition to that, there's also this labor component, both both your actual labor and your invisible labor, which is going to increase stress for the person who's doing all of that. And we know physiologically that stress is a lebido killer and a pleasure killer for most people. So that's another huge component of it. It's not just about you know, how you're feeling in your brain about the other person, It's also about whether your body is able to relax into a response, which she does talk a little bit about that with responsive behavior, but he doesn't talk about the stress. Right now, we're talking about the stress component of that.
Speaker 2: Well, So what the thing is is he's focusing on like, you have to be more rooted in your masculine and what these like these these archaic I'm gonna say, archaic concepts of what masculine is. So like, yeah, like boomer moms made sure they're boys, their gen X boys were rooted in masculinity, which causes them to not lift a fucking finger, you know, to help to help their female partners around the house. Now, I am gonna say, doctor, doctor Erickson and I have worked through this in counseling for many years, so we are no longer in this place. So the heat that you are feeling for me is not present time. Shit, we have worked through this in counseling. But I'm just saying his mama could have saved us a lot of money in counseling. I'm just sad. But this concept of like rooting into your masculine poll when when you hear that, guys and ladies, when you hear like, oh, I want him to be rooted in his masculine pole. Are you thinking about him vacuuming the house? No, no, oh, because that's woman's work. So what I'm saying to you is your concepts when we're talking about these kind of like gross concepts of polarity, you know, these concepts of polarity which are based on these like traditional gender roles. When we're thinking about that, like the actual the actual thing that you needed to be you need to be rooted in is equity. Is equity, is shared shared relationship, dynamic shared mutuality. Because I'll tell you, like it turns me on when my husband when he does the dishes and cleans up the kitchen and remembers to put the dog food away, I'm like, and I when he makes me coffee in the morning, Oh my god, that gets me so wet. Like these acts of service, these acts of service really meet my needs for support. And when I feel supported as a badass, powerful tongue, which the chini in the world. When I feel supported, that that is what gives me the space to melt. That's what gives me the space to surrender. Is when when I got you, well I know you got me because of what you did I don't care what you say. I care what you do, and I want to see what you do to support me. I don't want to have to guess. I want to walk out and be like, oh damn, he arranged all the pillows. What a beautiful Tontra temple. I didn't have to do it myself. Anything, I don't have to do myself. I'm gonna feel supported when you do it, so I don't have to do it. When I don't have to think about it, woo, that meets my needs for support. And when my needs for support are met, all of the stress starts to decompress. And when the stress decompresses, my libido arises. And I mean, we're off to the race as my friends. So there we go, beautiful.
Speaker 1: I have a couple more thoughts about it, Okay, okay, So I think the thing that I initially found most disturbing about this video was that he's really distilling relationships down shysteriatypes, right, And that's something that I find disturbing about the polarity conversation. Just like you said a minute ago, it distills the person down to specific set gender norms that are created, you know, within the context of our dysfunctional system, right, our white patriarchal, classist system, like our roles, our gender roles fit within that. So, I mean, it's entirely possible that there are people who have done lots of self examining and they really want to fit into these traditional, you know, masculine, feminine stereotypes for their relationship. Cool, have at it, Great for you, but I don't think that's the majority of people, right. There's a lot of people who have all kinds of different dynamics within their relationship. And one of the first thing that came to my mind for me was he said, oh gosh, she said a number of things, but one of the words that's jumped out at me was this concept of dominance. Which, yeah, a lot of cis women do want to be dominated. That's a common fantasy, a common kink for many women. But there's a lot a lot of women who want to dominate, and there's a lot of men who want a dominant woman as well as as their preferred way of engaging with power in their relationships. So it's not that simple as just like you're not being masculine enough in order to let her open. Right, in most cases, Additionally.
Speaker 2: What masculinity is, I'm interrupting you masculine and the concept of what masculinity is, that's the thing. Are you being masculin depends on what your version of masculinity is. Like my version of masculinity could be playing the piano and you know, fucking writing poetry, like maybe that's what I think a real man is quote unquote. So it's it all goes into like a very specific demographs graphics idea of what is masculine, maga, masculine, shall we.
Speaker 1: Say, yeah, yeah, exactly, And those many of those stereotypes for many people are are violent, right, They don't support their true connection, their ability to really be fully present, especially for men to be fully present in their emotions and be fully present in their emotions with their with their partner as well, which is another factor in being able to connect in order to have a great sex life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and then like on the feminine side, there's this societal standard for us in that stereotype that women can't know about their sexuality.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You talk about this in your book Shake Your Soul Song, This Walt Disney syndrome where you know, good girls don't know about their sex and don't know how to how to please themselves or enjoy sex in the bedroom. It's all up to the man, whereas women who do they're just sluts and whoors and you know, so we can't we can't fuck with them. So it plays into that, which is violent for both parties. Right, Do you have anything else to say about that?
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, nope, right off.
Speaker 1: Tell the other thing that really jumped out at me is Jesus Christ. Both people in a room relationship are responsible for the relationship. It's toxic to assign one person or another person, you know, specific aspects of a relationship. Again, there can be agreemance within a relationship, right, so like one person might agree to be more responsible in this way or that way, but it's not appropriate to just assign people their responsibilities based off of their sex or gender as well, and even if you do, it's still both people's responsibility to care and tender for their relationship. And your sexuality in a sexual relationship is a primary factor in the reason you're in a relationship with that person, so both of you need to be engaged in that and having conversations with that. And it also links into how few people in this country have learned how to communicate about their sexuality and communicate with their partner about their sexuality and about what's going on for them and to troubleshoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I and I would say I would add to that everything you said one point on, on point point on and on point, And I would also say what rises for me is like like, rather than looking at the polarity of your relationship, look at the health of your relationship. Is your relationship healthy and functional? Cause you know, I was telling Elena before we before we started recording, the people that I've come encountered in the field over seventeen years who are the most focused on these polarity dynamics are also the most propensity for gas lighting and predatory behavior. I'm just gonna say, and the and the schools for TNTRA schools that I've encountered, or TANTRA teachers that I've encountered that are really into this, you know polarity thing. A polarity has nothing to do with actual Tentra lineage based entre. I mean, go google polarity and like, real Tentra doesn't fucking exist. It's a totally a neotontra concept. And as we've said, neo TNTRA is a result of colin isa and violence, and so it carries that, it carries the violence of colonization within it. And so again when it comes to polarity, there's no there's no real authentic tunture teachings on fucking polarity, and the neo TNTRA teachers on polarity. Honestly, what I've seen is there's a propensity as I've said, for gas lighting, psychological abuse, and predatory behavior, or there's complaints against the teachers or the schools for predatory behavior. So I mean, you know, actual TNTRA focuses on union and balance. That's what it focuses on. It focuses on union, uniting duality, transforming the concept of duality by recognizing the inherent union of all expressions of life. And it focuses on balance. We all, as human beings have masculine and feminine In fact, we've got masculine channels and feminine channels in the body, and the important thing is for them to be balance. That's the point of your tenttr yoga practice. When you're doing energy body yoga, you are balancing your energy bodies. So sometimes your masculine channels need more energy, or sometimes your feminine channels need more energy, or maybe your whole freaking energy body needs more energy. Right, it's not about this dualistic dynamic. That's another way another thing about neo. Why you know it's not real contra because real tunture is about dismantling duality, not reinforcing it. And this whole conversation about polarity is reinforcing concepts of duality, I mean. And then this brings us, this brings us to this brings us to the topic that we're gonna talk about today, which is can you practice contra as the same sex couple? So, of course, so I'm gonna circle back to that in a moment of the of course why. But what I want to point to, what I want to point to right now is like, historically, contric Buddhism was about transforming rigid concepts of rigid structures, rigid structures of hierarchy and rigid structures, rigid structures of patriarchy and male versus female and duality and even heterosexuality. There's historical record and contrac Buddhism of non binary and trans people, and they were referred to as pondicas or pondiicas wherever you put that emphasis. And so so these were these were considered to be shamans. These were considered to be like potent, powerful, kind of magical beings that that had both that weren't necessarily masculine or feminine, but were a beautiful fusion of both. And so they were viewed as like precious and rare and like again like unicorns, so to speak, because they walked in all worlds. Right. So, so that that is a that is a historical reference in contried Buddhism to the celebration and the upliftment of intersex, non binary, trans and even homosexual individual It was people who did not fit into the rigid binary roles were considered fucking magic.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to to to TNTRA for same sex people, you know, something that that causes a lot of confusion that that Elena is going to talk about in just a moment is this concept of polarity of these rigid, you know, masculine feminines. So it that leaves a lot of people out of the conversation who don't fit in, you know, and that fucking kills me, because, you know what, you're not supposed to fit in. Real Tontra. Those of us that don't fit in, we're We're We're the magic sauce. We're Tontra was not fucking mainstream. Tontic Buddhism was not mainstream. It was underground. It was subversive, it was transit transgressive, it was fucking revolutionary. We were not we were not. The Tontic Buddhists were not the people at the top of the you know, top of the food chain. They weren't the fucking Brahmins. They were the underground. They were the outcasts. They were the untouchables, many of them. So that is the roots of contraed Buddhism. So so when it comes to you as a as a non non normative, heteronormative and nonsense gender person looking at at TNTRA and neotontrin feeling unincluded, you're right, you're you're right. But real TNTRA does include you. Real TNTRA actually fucking celebrates you.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, thank you, Damian. That's beautiful. Yeah, and you talked a lot about about what I was going to talk about which is this concept of polarity and neotantra that that's so prevalent in that community, and that that can cause real pain and suffering for a large portion of the population both you know, as you said, uh, same sex couples, people of who are our gender diverse, and again it also is violent to people who are cysts as well because it puts those in those specific gender roles, right, And as you were talking about, like, it doesn't really have anything to do with real tntra, So you're probably going to go more into this. But in our lineage of practice, we define mantra as weaving light with sound and form. Right, That is the mantra that we do. It is energy work, right, and everything else that we teach is to go along with that energy work. It's not the tntra. The tntra is the energy work itself. So we we've light and sound with form, the light being our visualization, the sound being launchic syllable, the form being our bodies.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I think in this instance the person may be talking more about the sexual practices because they are specifically often linked to the concept of tantra, especially in neo tntra. But that and up self is not tantra. So you can anyone. Tantra's for anyone, right, you can one hundred percent learn this energy body yoga, learn it, synthesize it, and receive profound healing from it. And also the sexual teachings that we offer are also for everyone. So there there really isn't a you know, a hierarchy or a differentiation between you know, practicing it as an individual, practicing it in a sist heat couple, or practicing it in a homosexual couple or any other congomeration of of of queer coupledom.
Speaker 2: And so, because Elena and I actually are practice under the umbrella of lineage and have a root lama and do actually practice authentic lineage based Tibetan Buddhist tntra, we approach tntra. She was saying from a perspective of there being sexual tontra and on sexual contra, right, there's both. And basically, when it comes to sexual tntra, you when you're practicing real tenttra and not just you know, sexual healing methods. Essentially, when you're practicing real contra, real sexual tentra, authentic sexual tentra, what you are doing is applying your non sexual practice, your non sexual energy body yoga practice, to your sexual activity. The beautiful thing about cultivating non sexual contra practice is you very quickly begin to realize that you can make any activity tontric by your attention, your intention, your focus, and your awareness. No matter what you're doing, it can become a tontric practice because real, authentic TNTRA is an internal practice. It's something we're doing internally with our awareness, with our attention, with our focus, with our mantra, with our chanting, with our breath. You can practic this tntra walking. You can practice tntra doing the dishes. You can practice contra making sweet love with your partner. You can practice tnture when you're pooping. In fact, we have a video on I think on our YouTube channel and maybe our Instagram channel. I think it got taken down Instagram. We can post it again, but it's definitely on YouTube because I was watching it the other day. You can practice tntrare while pooping. You can chant mantra and do energy body yoga while you're sitting on the toilet pooping. And in fact that it was an instruction from my lama, so there's not one moment when you are practicing authentic tntra. Not one moment is wasted, Not one moment of your human experience is wasted. You can practice tonture with every breath if you want to, and at a certain point, you get to a point where everything you do is your tenttra practice. Whether you're intentionally doing it or whether you're living it as an embodied experience, everything that you do becomes tntra. There's no separation between your tntra and your life. So that's that's that's the that's the goal of practice, so that you can actually leave practice away. The analogy give like leave your practice behind. The analogy is like if you're crossing a river. You need a raft to cross the river. It's a tool, but once you get to the once you get to the other side of the river, you're not going to carry your raft with you, right, Well, that's the dharma. That's that's tantra practice. Is that you use it to get to a certain point and then when you are actually firmly anchored in that level of realization, you don't need to continue carrying it with you, or maybe you just actually carry one stick you change the shape of the raft and turned it into a walking stick to help your journey now, to help this leg of your journey. Right, So it changes your relationship to the actual practice changes as your realization as a result of your practice evolves and changes and grows. So so yeah, so we're talking about tntra for same sex people. That's a lot. So here we go. So, so the non sexual I think we've we sufficiently answered, Yes, the non sexual yoga practice. As long as you are human and you have attention and the desire and the intention, you can practice non sexual contra. Can you, as the same sex couple, apply your non sexual tentra yoga practice to your sexuality? Absolutely? Of course, Why would it be any different for you than anybody else? Of course you can. You're a human being. Your genitals are irrelevant when it comes to tantra. I mean they're relevant because you want to know how to how to make them work. You know how to make them, how to make them cream. I want to say, you know, I don't know what I was thinking of Princess Saga, right, how to make them generate the nectar that they are that they're designed to generate, So they're important that way, but they're irrelevant in terms of like they're just different parts, you know, like of course, of course, of course, of course, of course you can you can apply your non sexual practice to your sexual practice. And are there specific methods sexual methods for same sex people? Yes, actually there are, I could take them with it. Didn't think for a moment. Yes, actually there are differences if you are in the same sex couple as with lotus, which is we're gonna say vagina or volvan vagina we're gonna reference as lotus. And then if you're in the same sex couple with a vazra, a divine thunderbolt of wisdom or otherwise no as a penist, but I prefer divine thunderbolt of wisdom, and I would guess y'all do too, whether your divine thunderbolt of wisdom. Yes, you are going to run the energy body yogas slightly differently when you are in when you are partnered with with with this with the same sex and when we do our Tuntra Couples are Tantra Coaching for Couples Tuntra Healing for Couples program in twenty twenty six that will be open for heterosexual and same sex couples, and so we'll give those instructions during class, like the differences in the energy body yoga depending on if you're playing with the same same puzzle pieces or opposite puzzle pieces. Yeah, okay, I went on forever. Did you want to add anything to that, Elena.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, not at the moment.
Speaker 2: So s to BN s to moyben toto bien toto bin okay. So, so why don't I go into tons? So because I have experience and not only am I biracial, I am bisexual, I have all the byes. I have foots in many worlds, many different worlds, and so I have I have had tonture with with other Lotus owners and I fucking love it. That's one of my favorite things is tontra with with with another Lotus owner. And so I'll share a little bit about my experience in terms of how the adjustments that that that occur naturally is a result and how the energy flows. So when it comes to when it came for me to practice ton with women with other women a sexual contra, we're saying, so we do the same, you know, some of the same practices. Is like you know, looking into each other's eyes and harmonizing the breath. So when two or more people breathe together at the same rate, at the same pace, their heart beats synchronized, brain wave synchronized. I'm a big fan of having my heart, heart beat synchronized and my brain waves synchronized before I try to synchronize my genitals. I'm just saying, I'm very much a top down person when it comes to that, or a heart down person when it comes to that. And then when it comes to the yoga breathing practices, yeah, energy flows, and you know, absolutely for anyone, anyone who's bisexual, those of us who are bisexual, and I happen to believe that if we removed or if our cultural conditioning looked a different way than it does today, I am a believer that I would say I truly believe that at least eighty percent of the population is bisexual. I really feel like bisexuality is normal. I do. It's like it seems it's like, I mean, if you think of when your children and children, don't you know, they're they like they play with each other's genitals, they'd look at their own genitals like I mean, anyway that's my personal opinion. I know, and I've seen it elsewhere, but I just can't remember where.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I think many sex educators believe that people fall on a spectrum, right. I think Kinsey was the first person to talk about that spectrum when he invented the Kinsey scale, at least in the United States.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and I love that, and I love that idea of a scale. I'm not a big fan of Kinsey myself, bless his heart, but bless their heart, whatever, but I do love the idea of a scale because you know, and I would also say in terms of the scale, like that's not static, because there's certain times in our life that we may be more inclined one way or the other. Like I've the lifetimes that I've lived just in the last two years, much less, you know, the last fifty years, Like I'm not the same person fifty years later that I was though before. So so I will say that my my sexual orientation, or I would say my sexual movement in the world, not necessarily orientation, but how I choose to move in the world sexually has evolved tremendously, and I've been more inclined towards you know, homosexuality and other client and more inclined towards heterosexuality at different points in my life, but definitely fluid in that term. So speaking from my experience practicing contru with with many women, I mean it just for those of us, says I was going to say, who are bisexual. There is a difference in the way the energy flows when you're when you when you're playing with somebody who has the same genital anatomy, like, there is a different quality and which is part of why we do that. It's a different, you know, flavor of food, so to speak. It's a different different, different taste, different flavor, just like with every person we engage with sexual sexually. Every there is a difference based on the sexual anatomy. Absolutely a different quality and a different energetic exchange. And what I found really notable is over time, so when I was predominantly in relationship having sexual intimacy with women predominantly so like not eighteen to ninety percent of my sex was happening with another Yoni owner, another Lotus owner, another woman, the channels in my energy body actually adapted to accommodate that. So when I'm having and this don't. I haven't had an opportunity to gauge this on other people's bodies. So maybe we can do a study of, you know, tracking energy channels and seeing how they line up and seeing how they shift and change when we're making love with different people. But when I was having sex predominantly with vajras with men, my channels in my like my down'd avoiding wind channels, and my channels and my lower end we pointed predominantly downward to meet the penetration. Right, So the channels like coming down my cervix and just like in my whole lower area. And we're not talking I'm not talking about in the nerve pathways. I'm talking about channels, my energy channels. So the energy channels can move and change and adapt to meet the needs to help us digest and metabolize the energy that we're receiving from our environment more effectively. And so when I was having sex with heterosexual men a lot, or you know, my number one food source, shall we say, my energy channels were pointing downwards to accommodate the penetration. When I was predominantly having sex as with women as my predominant food source for sex, my channels actually shifted so that they were pointing out like towards the anterior of my body, so no longer downward, but more anterior in order to receive more of a full whole body exchange as opposed to just the exchange from the lingam. So that was very interesting because it definitely changed the quality of my orgasm and it definitely changed the quality of my of my sexual experience because it was moving through like different channels of the energy body. And then you know, when I when I was no longer having having sex as often with women, the channels and I'm predominantly monogamous in a heterosexual dynamic, my channels are all, you know, pointing downward to receive, to receive my partner again, my male partner again. So that was my experience of kind of shifting with the energy channels and how they can how they will adapt to or can adapt to to to receive the love essentially the medicine, the food, sex, sex and food sex and nourishment. Right to receive the nourishment that we're receiving from our partners, regardless of how that energy is being put into our bodies, whether be through you know, physical penetration or you know, surface activity or just a different kind of penetration, because I was still being penetrated, but I just wasn't being penetrated by a penis when I was with women, I will say I was still being penetrated, just not with a penis. I was being penetrated with you know, other things anyway, So that's along, That's a lot. So okay, what do you think about that, Lena?
Speaker 1: I think that's beautiful. And in addition to that, I'll say that, you know, so the sexual practices that we teach that are often linked to tantra but aren't necessarily tantra, those are also applicable in the same sex, you know, female female couples. So things like contra union, breathing, sexual communication practices, yoni massage, partner orgasmic awareness practice. These are all things we teach that are beautiful, connective, pleasure expanding, juicy couple practices, and your genital makeup has nothing to do with whether you can practice them or not.
Speaker 2: And what we love to do is give you information, educate you about your genital makeup, like for for whether you have a lotus or lingam or combination like the more we know about how our genitals function, the better they can function. Just like the more you know about what's under the hood of the car, you're gonna be able to make that car work a lot better. Same, same, same, So your genitals are important in terms of understanding how they function for optimal performance. Shall we say it. I don't mean, you know, performance in a bad way, but just to you know, optimally bring you bliss because you're designed for bliss. Your body, your your body is designed for pleasure. And that's just a fact. Like pleasure is our is our is our compass, it's our guidance system. If it feels good, we want to move towards it. If it hurts, we want to avoid it. That's like that's what fucking kept us alive for millennia, right, A very simplified version of that. But your your genitals are built for pleasure, So understanding how they function to bring you and your partner the most, the most pleasure is really important. Education And just want to reiterate again that we are going to be So if you're thinking, well, how can I learn all this awesomeness, well, guess what. In February of twenty twenty six, we're going to open registration for a Tontra for couples. I think we're calling it Cultivating Sacred Intimacy Tentre Healing for Couples program that myself and doctor Ericson and Elena and maybe her partner going to be teaching you. So registration for that is going to open in February. February of twenty twenty six, So make sure you are at Holistic Sexology Institute dot com and signing up for notifications. If you just signed up for your Sex's Medicine podcast day weekly doses in your inbox every day, you will get notifications of any of our programs. But we are going to be teaching a Tentra Healing for Couples program in twenty twenty six. Registration opens February. Fingers crossed. You know, we were going to do that before before the how week week before the house burned out. No week after we'd registration, we're uping registration for the Tatrina thing for couple. So we had to do it from Costa Rica, y'all. We had to do it from Costa Rica.
Speaker 1: Okay, are we ready to talk about men?
Speaker 2: Yes? Let's talk about so. Yes, let's talk about So we're going to talk about you men, you sist gender men and your beautiful beautiful lingams and and you and same sex practicing tantra as the same sex couple, because y'all get left out of this conversation. You do, and we want we want you to know that that we see you and we celebrate you, and you are a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful expression of life. So go on, Elena, give it to them.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so much, Davey. So, I have trained a number of queer, queer men and queer people who have lingams and penises in my time as a Tantra teacher and educator, And yeah, Tantra is absolutely applicable to people who have penises in the same sex relationship as well. So just starting again with talking about the energy body yoga of TNTRA. You know, I think what I really like to presence is that the contrac practices are heart centered practices. So when we're doing this energy body yoga, we're always beginning and ending in the heart right, which really deepens our connection to ourselves. And when practice in partnership deepens our connection to our partner, as well, which is just you can't go wrong with that, right, Like, this is the gold standard for relationships when your hearts are are purely beautifully connected to one another. And yeah, when we do that, our relationships get better, We communicate more clearly, we give each other more grace, We heal our wounds. And especially for men, men who have been socialized in men are people with penises who've been socialized in this country. One of the first things that happens to them as they are separated from their connection. They are separated. They're severed violently from their emotions, and they're not loud to feel their emotions. And this gets in the way of connecting deeply with others and in their partnerships as well. So when we you know, refocus both with these energy body practices and these these sexual or connection based practices we're giving ourselves, they're they're they're getting the opportunity to heal that that connection wounds and to yeah, to rediscover it, right, to rediscover that connection and that that emotional literacy and uh what sort of vulnerability?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yeah, I love it, and I love that you brought it back to Tontra is about a heart to heart connection that that is like, that is what sexual tntra is rutans with all tentras rooted in, but particularly sexual tentres having that loving, open, present, spacious connection with one of them. So that's the key, that's both the goal, that's both the practice and the goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And in terms of sticking with the energy body and kind of going along the lines of what you were talking about, Datie, there are some differences about how you know, men who are in same sex union, how their energy channel would relate to one another. So when we're placing our central channel in this tradition, it runs through the center of the body in front of the spine, from the soft stop spot on the top of the head and ends in the parandium. So what we often talk about is, you know, when people are in heterosexual union, there's an offshoot of the central channel that goes through the penis to the tip of the lingam and there's an offshoot of the central channel that goes from the central channel into the cervix. So when people are in union in a heterosexual couple, we've got that direct connection between the two central channels, so you're kind of connected and having this little bit of of a merge with each other's energy bodies. Right, And when we're doing this with men in same sex couples, the same thing happens. It's just slightly altered.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So in that case, if two men are having anal sex, there's an offshoot you can access to the central channel through the anus itself, and of course there's still a central channel off shoot through the penis. So they're having that same level of connection, they're just coming at it from a different points in the body.
Speaker 2: And the anus or the rectum is where the downward avoiding winds arise. Okay, pardon my chihuahua. If you can hear him in the background, I'm not sure if you can. I can hear him. He's driving me crazy. But the downward avoiding winds actually arise in the rectum. And so this is one of the reasons that anal pleasure is so so profoundly important for all anus Ownershi, you meant and this owners, but for all of us is having anal pleasure can help remove and dissolve any obstacles in the downward voiding winds, allowing those downward voiding winds to rebalance. It can improve your bowel function having any massage and anal pleasure, So your anus is a the second highest concentration of pleasure sensitive nerve endings, if there is such a thing. And also too, it's also the home of where the downward voiding winds arise in the body, and so it's a very very important energy center to pay attention to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to build off of that because we when we define orgasm in our tradition from the energy body perspective, we talk about it being this moment where our downward our downward voiding winds brush the central channel. So you're also going to be expanding your capacity to experience different kinds of orgasms when you're keeping up with the health of your downward avoiding winds.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 1: That's the energy body component. So talking about some of the methods that are often thought of as contra but aren't necessarily contra, but go along with everything we're doing, there are also some other things that are of great benefit to men in same sex relationships. So, uh, just like with women, we just talked about things like contric union, breathing, and sexual communication. In this case, linga massage and couples o EP. These are all beautiful practices which have no no, no need for specific genital makeup. Additionally, men who are tontric often engage in semen retention practices as well, and this is good for CIS men as well as homosexual or queer men. I think one of the main distinctions I want to make here, and the reason we're bringing it up, is because seman retention is often framed for men as a way to last longer for her, right. So that's a very prominent way that people market semen retention, and so sometimes, you know, queer men and people with penises feel really left out of that conversation, like why would I practice this if this is just lasting longer for a female partner?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But there are many many other benefits to semen retention that have nothing to do with that. So there's increased vitality, so you're retaining chi when you're retaining your semen, so you're retaining that juicy vital essence, which is going to improve your health and your well being just overall. There's also been some studies that indicate that as you retain your semen, that increases your testosterone. Some of your androgens in the body, those hormones, and then it also helps you to what am I trying to say here, seman retention also helps you with your cultivation of multiple orgas as well. So if you didn't know this, men and people with penises, they can have more orgasms than just an ejaculatory orgasm. They have a huge breath of orgasmic capacity, different juicy flavors that come from different parts of their body and are expressed differently, right, And semen retention is one of the kind of like one of the portals to getting there for many men. So that's a definite benefit for all men. And then it's also really wonderful for them to learn how to slow down and connect and connect to their pleasure and to connect to their partner during their sexual practice as well.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, beautiful beauty. I mean, the thing is TNDRA is like real tra authentic linage based ENTRA is for humans. It's for humans. It's for humans to help us have a better human existence, a better human experience, and yes, to realize enlightenment, but not at the expense of our humanity. Right, That's the thing. As I move, as I realize more and more Mahamoudra consciousness like just open void, spacious awareness in my you know, in my awareness, in my consciousness like the goal that like, enlightenment is not divorcing ourselves from our humanity. Enlightenment is about being fully human and being internally free, internally liberated from suffering. And you know, we are often our own worst enemies, as you know, this culture conditions us to be, and those of us with CPDSD are definitely our worst enemies. Right. So so TNTRA, the tontric enlightenment is true is about ending suffering, ceasing suffering for all humans and all beings ultimately, but particularly for all humans. So for you, in regardless of w relationship orientation, how how you find love, regardless of who with whom, and how you find love, it's your birthright. It's your birthright to know how to heal. It's your birthright to understand your energy body if you're if you're attracted to that and drawn to that, it's your birthright to understand how your energy body feeds and nourishes your physical body, and how you can use connection and pleasure to increase the energy in your body and to heal and transform. So so yeah, So hold on one second, I'm going to pause this. Yes.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that I wanted to mention about contract practices is the way that our specific orientation to the practice is performed. It really creates a situation where we're allowed to process a lot of trauma from our bodies, trauma, judgments, all these nasty things that get stuck in ourselves. Right, And the way that we practice, we have this beautiful meshing of the energy body work of the five elements with our sexual practices but also our somatic practices, right, So somatic cor regular practices but also somatic sexual healing practices, and those two practices together I find create kind of like a bridge inside the body, right, because we're working on all of the blocks or obscurations or breaks in our energy body from the inside out. When we're working in our central channel with elements, 're healing that way, and then when we're applying the somatic sexual healing principles, we're working essentially from the outside in to release trauma where it lives in the body. So that specific orientation allows us to do so much in terms of moving towards health and well being. And you know, I just think about all of the ways that it has helped our students for the years transform judgments that they've had about themselves. And so I think a lot about like transforming judgment one might have about being queer, right, like internalized homophobia, transforming that in oneself, or judgments one may feel about engaging in anal sex or Yeah, just all of the trappings of our that our culture puts upon queer people. That's something else that can be helped and transformed to a contric practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just thank you for that. That's so beautiful. Yeah, because our culture teaches us, you know, if we don't fit into these very narrow boxes, teaches us to hate ourselves, that there's something wrong with us, that we're deficient, that we're queer. I mean even the word I don't use the word queer because when I was coming up into early adulthood, like in the nineties, right, I graduated high school in ninety two, and I started like going to gay bars like hit eighteen at like three ninety fourths unlike that, graduated fromhigh school early, and so and I was, you know, go to gay bars and hang out with the gay folks, and like we didn't call ourselves queer because queer was a slur. That was a bad word. It was like gay was was like that was a happy thing. Right, So for me, the word queer is still like carries the weight of that shame because it was a curse word. It was a cuss word when I was you know, coming up and coming up in the day. So it wasn't it wasn't the word of liberation that it is now twenty years later, twenty five years later. So so yeah, like that's such a beautiful point. Is Like, that's the thing about tontras, as we said to be to begin with, it's it's not about reinforcing polarities and opposites and duality. It's about finding that point of union and also creating balance, creating balance where there's imbalance, because that's the key to wellness is balance. And so if we are holding on to this, this this distorted constant of self that we are somehow wrong and bad because we don't fit into the magabox, so to speak, that is an imbalance. That's an imbalance in our psyche, and that is part of this purification and this healing that can occur through authentic lineage based huntra, which we are still teaching, y'all. We're just not certifying in it, but we are still teaching it, and we have, oh my god, so many incredible certified practitioners that you can choose from. You can see them on our website Holistic Sexology dot com. We're very proud of everybody who has achieved their certification because it was no joke, and we are still teaching these methods. Elena and I are still laying it down and our instructors are still laying it down for your personal healing. We're not going to take that away from you. Yeah, yay. So I think the last thing I want to say on this topic before we close out is I just want to say that that for those of us who don't fit in the box, and for those of you who do identify as queer, trans, non binary, homosexual, however you identify, I am sorry that you have not found a home in neotntra. But let's also just recognize that once again that the roots of neo Tantra are rooted in colonialism, and there isn't space for us in colonialism. They tried to fucking wipe us out right, So I'm just saying, so that's why know where it comes from. But there is space for you and authentic lineage based entra, not just our tentra, but tntra in general. There is space for you and in real tntra because real entre is for humans. It's for human beings to actualize their full human potential, which is ultimate realization. Yeah, yeah, all right, anything else to Slena.
Speaker 1: No, that was so wonderful and juicy.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Davie, Thank you Elena, wondering to empowers activate. So I'm so grateful and so delighted to be doing this with you. I love, I love the wisdom and the essence and the presence and the potency and the power that you bring. Really really grateful. I'm grateful to have worked with you for the last you know, ten years, intimately and intensely and through many many obstacles. So anyway, that's my love note for Lena. Y'all can leave leave some love notes for Lena in the comments. Thank you so much for all your comments. Thank you so much for all your comments. I'm gonna say it again, thank you so much for all your comments. We love responding and thank you. I mean it just it uplifts us and brings us so much like encouragement. Encouragement when we know that you like it and we know that we're like serving you up some good, delicious food, it makes me want to cook in the kitchen, makes us want to cook in the kitchen. So thank you really. Oh yeah, ah, they's got one more.
Speaker 1: Oh and do you want to talk about questions at two?
Speaker 2: If? Yeah, yeah, so send us your question so you can send us your questions at Holistic Sexology Institute dot com. That's our new website, Holistic Sexology Institute dot com. You can also, if you aren't already on our Instagram page, go you our instat ground page Institute of Holistic Sexology and you can dm us questions, or you can leave a question on one of our comments and we'll pick it up. We'll scoop it up. It's best of you. Dm us questions though, uh so they don't get missed. We don't want to miss any questions because they're important and they're valuable and we want to answer them for you. So dm us your questions on Instagram. Also send us your questions at Questions at Holistic Sexology Institute dot com and we're so excited to answer them, and we'll either answer them on an episode or we'll answer them on an Instagram video. I had a really good one that I did. I think last weekend, we had a beautiful question come in about a transgender woman wanting to know about if practicing seminarytention you know, is a thing, it would be a beneficial for them as they you know, transition. And so there's a wonderful answer to that question, because these are important things to know, as you know, with different body parts and different orientations, and how is how is this how is this energy body yoga going to affect you both energetically and physically, We need to know this. We need to know all right, my friends, thank you so much. We're gonna sign out. See you next week. Make sure you like and subscribe, Like and subscribe, comment, hit the notification bell all the things Spotify YouTube or Spotify iTunes YouTube. That's where we're at. Instagram check us out.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to sex is Medicine, your number one resource for holistic sex education.
Speaker 2: Make sure you like and subscribe to Sex's Medicine on all your listening platforms, and follow us on Instagram. YouTube and TikTok where you can get your daily dose of sexes medicine videos and episode recaps. Also, make sure you register for your weekly dose of Sex's Medicine at Holisticsexologyinstitute dot com and send us your questions please at Questions at Holistic Sexology Institute dot com. Thank you so much for listening too. Sex is Medicine