Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It is a Tuesday, January twenty first, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the party that is the Gary and Channon Show.
Speaker 3: We have just made it through the particularly dangerous weather situation.
Speaker 2: Are they're going to say a dangerous nine o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: No, but that means that we've made it this far without a significant fire threat. There were a couple small ones. They were put out very quickly. We are still not outside of our red flag fire warnings because of the current conditions, and the winds have died down significantly from what they were yesterday at this time, but again, we're not completely out of it. The expectation is that the red flag warnings will stay in effect until about ten o'clock tonight. Speaking of which, by the way, President Trump did mention that he's headed out to California the end of this week to check out fire damage. The expectation is that he's also going to stop rue North Carolina. He's going to make a trip there first and then come out to California North Carolina to follow up on the hurricane recovery efforts from back there.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a big Republican talking point that Biden left them out in the cold, so to speak, because of you know, suppressing the vote or what have you in a red area, red districts and things like that. So that was a big thing on the alt right Twitter world of people going to North Carolina to help because the Biden administration was doing nothing.
Speaker 3: The President and the First Lady attended a National Prayer ceremony this morning. He is expected to give a big speech on infrastructure this afternoon, and he is meeting currently with House Speaker Mike Johnson, Senate Majority Leader John Thune, and some other Republican leaders that are the ones who are going to help him push whatever agenda he's got through Congress.
Speaker 1: We will get to vivek Ramaswami being forced out of doze, but first I think everybody's to hear who is the number one meteorologist according to Google in the Greater Los Angeles area.
Speaker 3: Well, we're talking about the story because the Weather Channel is going to be providing weather reports for a series of television stations around the country. The Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, is going to outsource these weather reports to places like Iowa and North Dakota and other places around the country without having a local meteorologist on the ground. We were going to ask, you know, who's the best weather person in Los Angeles? And I wanted to know if there had ever been a list put together or something, So I just typed into Google best weather person Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Now you know that people are going to take umbrage with whatever Google says.
Speaker 3: Not me, it's Google.
Speaker 1: Don't kill the messenger, folks, it's it's mister Google. Dallas Rains number one.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even it's not even a list. It's just Dallas Rains is what comes up. Wow, it's got his Wikipedia entry, it's got his bio from ABC seven.
Speaker 2: That's his real name.
Speaker 3: I think it's Dallas Rains. I mean, yes, how do you grow?
Speaker 1: We've done stories like this where people are named things like Paul Fish and he ends up being a fisherman. It happens. You think he is named Rains from birth and he just took a liking to the the rain. I mean, he's well Rains. He went to d BAC University. Fling State University is spelled with an e all right, so interesting. Hmmm, it's just at that point a homonym.
Speaker 2: So what you call that?
Speaker 3: The word? Sure, homonym. But we were asking who's your favorite weather Gillian I can't remember her name, but I think she was on Channel five with the.
Speaker 2: Other woman, Yeah, Jillian Barbary.
Speaker 3: And I think the guy that passed away, he did not.
Speaker 1: Steve Edwards is alive and well and with us, Jillian Barbary, they had some good chemistry.
Speaker 3: That show.
Speaker 1: Steve Edwards with Jillian and Dorothy Lucy was fun.
Speaker 2: I just remember that. Okay.
Speaker 1: So I fancied myself a very serious newsperson at one point and as a reporter for years. And I came to LA and I was young, and I thought that I was a very serious newsperson twenty five, twenty six years old, and I I'm watching the I turn on It's my first week in LA, just hired at KFI, getting ready for work. Turn on the local news and there's Gillian and Dorothy and Steve Edwards and there's a shuttle launch that morning, and Jillian is putting on her lipstick on camera, sitting at the desk, and I was like, oh my gosh, what have I done? Coming to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: They are not taking this seriously.
Speaker 1: Oh how funny man is on kt LA Henry de Carlo.
Speaker 4: He's a great weather man.
Speaker 3: It's nice to look.
Speaker 4: At and he also gives back to the community.
Speaker 1: Keep it right. See it's hard to talk about Henry and not talk about his looks, though.
Speaker 3: Isn't it. I talk about Henry all the time.
Speaker 1: I mean he's a good looking guy. I mean my husband will say it. You know, he's a good looking guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but does he say it unprompted or do you add? I mean, is he l I think.
Speaker 2: Comes up like I don't know, a couple times a day.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Gary and Shannon. This is reethe from Long Beach, of course, Fritz Coleman. It's a great one. Yes, also great personality. Hey, you missed any part of our show. You can always check out the podcast. Go to KFI A M six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or just search wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 1: Usually we make a pitch for the podcast after we say something relatively interesting. F YI, that's a good point, right, But I mean we said interesting things, said Fritz Coleman, What more do you want it's It's funny how these things work, palace intrigue things, isn't it. We had first heard that Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami, we're going to team up to get rid of government waste. They were going to create this new government agency, the Department of Government Efficiency, and they were asking people to work for free, eighty ninety hour work weeks for free, to go through all the weedy things in government and weed out all of the blubber, all the fat, all the waste.
Speaker 2: I thought it sounded good.
Speaker 1: I know people that work for the federal government who are scared that their jobs will be eliminated. However, you were one of the first people to bring up, wait a minute here, how are these two type A alpha dogs going to work together?
Speaker 2: How is this going to work?
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out it didn't last very long for that reason on its face, and yesterday we heard that through out the weekend there was this move to push out Vivek and I materialized yesterday all with this whole weird subplot that he's going to announce a run for Ohio governor next week. And I say, pallets at the intrigue for that point, alone, the fact that he's going to run for Ohio governor. That's a very powerful governor post Ohio a very powerful state. They just came off winning the national championship, and you know there's got to be national influence at play for you to capture Ohio. So you've got to believe he was given the blessing. Hey, we'll get you Ohio if you step down from this and let Elon run the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that that's got to be the way that it went. Yeah, because he The other aspect of it is he has enough of a personality. And we've talked about this before. What does it take for someone to run for president? You got to have a pretty outsized ego, and those people who run for president just generally have outsized egos. Now, some of them deserve it, some of them don't. Some of them are running because they're I don't know why. But but he had that ego, and he I think convinced himself that he was capable of doing that because he can win arguments. He's a smart enough guy, very learned, very well spoken. He he believes that he can win that sort of thing. So I almost feel like he took this this position at Doge just to kind of keep his.
Speaker 1: Hat in the ring, sure, just enough, just to be in the orbit, get people to keep talking about him.
Speaker 3: So that yeah, so that in the event he does need to cash in his chips, this is how he doesn't.
Speaker 1: I think I believe this was the play from the beginning, and everybody knew it. I believe Elon Musk knew it, Vivek knew it, Trump knew it that they were going to use this as a launching pad. And I think that Vivek maybe got a little too mouthy recently talking about the H.
Speaker 2: One N one.
Speaker 1: No, that's not right, b Visas, and that was kind of the nail and the coffin there they said.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons that Republicans would have probably been frustrated was when we were discussing discussing H one B Visas, he criticized American culture, and he went on X and said that tech companies higher foreign workers in part because of a mindset in the country that has venerated mediocrity over excellence. Some people had told Politico, for example, that they wanted him out before that, but they kicked him to the curb when that came out, and again, I don't think it's a matter of necessarily them kicking him to the curb. I think, more to your point, it's him cashing in his chips. He was an ardent supporter of Donald Trump. Once he dropped out of the race, he threw all of his weight behind Donald Trump, and I think this is a repayment for that.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the fight over the H one B visas because Elon Musk, Trump and Vivek or all fans of the H one B visa. These are the visas where we find the best, in the best and the brightest abroad and bring them over so that they can do the best and the brightest work here for America. Isn't Elon Musk one of those people?
Speaker 3: I've never understood. I don't understand why. What's the downside of an H one B visa?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: But I'm they're they're saying that the fact that he went on this rant about H one B visas hastened his demise. But isn't he in favor of them? Are they all in favor of them? I'm very confused.
Speaker 3: I would be I would only get there.
Speaker 1: There's a faction of the Trump maga people who hate these things because they're visas in any regard.
Speaker 3: That's but I don't I don't think that's a large population. When Vivec leaves, there is a guy, an investment firm CEO who is an outside advisor to the Trump Government Efficiency Commission, who said that he could fill the void left by Vivik Ramaswan's departure, James fish Back, not to be confused with doctor George fish Beck, the longtime meteorologist here in LA. So that's what's going on. The discussion. Also about Greenland.
Speaker 1: Yes, Trump says we need Greenland to combat Russia and China. Also the Gulf of Mexico can he rename it, and Canada is lashing out and prepares to retaliate upon everyone talking about us making Canada our fifty first state, kid Rock being the most recent one yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, oh boy, guys, we're all in it together.
Speaker 1: Remember the story of Dorothea Puente out of Sacramento. This was a woman who was a serial killer. It's always fascinating when it's a woman. I remember this story from years ago. One of the first true crime deep dives I did before true crime was so popular.
Speaker 2: I think it was because we were up there and so Sacremento.
Speaker 1: She ran a boarding house for troubled youth and ended up, I don't know, killing all of the troubled youth. Fascinating the way she was able to get away for years with what she was doing. We'll talk about that coming up for True Crime Tuesday in the twelve o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: We'll also next hour dip back into our story about your favorite weather person from Los Angeles. A lot of votes for doctor George Fishback.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, the name of I had not heard before.
Speaker 2: He's still with us.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. If I had to guess, I would say no, but I am not certain dead.
Speaker 2: Oh died in March twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: That's too bad, and that was before our show started, so we couldn't have gotten him on anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty sad. If you think you.
Speaker 2: Don't even know who he is. I know you've just learned about him.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 3: He meant something to a lot about.
Speaker 2: Now you're emoting, well.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm in touch with my feelings, except this guy. I don't. It's funny how you guys are just passing up to you okay, for I can barely hear you it wasn't a Nazi salute?
Speaker 2: What is He's mad at us that we're not bringing it up.
Speaker 3: He's mad that we're not believing that it was a Nazi salute. Watch the context of the whole thing. I don't have to explain Elon Musk. Elon Musk being a Nazi or not a Nazi has zero impact on me. But but what explain to me the benefit of that. Let's say let's say he thought to himself, I know what I'll do in front of a crowd of thousands of people in a clip that will go viral for the rest of my life. I'll give a Nazi salute to what end?
Speaker 1: I don't know if Elon Musk thinks mouths much about what he's gonna do, certainly not his physical motions. Do you remember, You're but you're not gonna change anyone's mind. If they believe he was doing a Nazi salute. That's what they're gonna believe. Do you remember the uh interview he did? See if I I think I have this the interview he did.
Speaker 3: Where he was talking about being what was it being blackmailed over advertisements? On Twitter back in the day, and he was saying, you're going to blackmail me with money, right, and he said it go after yourself. Yeah, and that was this big thing. He doesn't he doesn't think those things through now. And the idea that it was a Nazi salute is that move on as we will.
Speaker 1: The United States should acquire Greenland for international security. That is what Trump reiterated yesterday, alluding to threats from Russia and China. He was speaking to reporters in the Oval Office as he signed those executive orders, and he says Denmark was unable to keep Greenland, which is a self ruling Danish territory. He said, Greenland is a wonderful place. We need it for international security, and I'm sure Denmark will come along. He said, You've got Russian boats all over the place, You've got China's boats all over the place, warships, and Denmark can't maintain it. So they say that we should acquire Greenland. It's an absolute necessity. He refused to rule out using military force. Remember there are no roads in Greenland. Well, there are no roads, there are no doors. You've got to get around by snowmobile and sled and plane.
Speaker 3: He doesn't take things off the table. No, that's his negotiation construct. He doesn't take things off the table. Would you use nuclear weapons to acquire Greenland? I'm not going to say what I'm going to do. I'm not going to do that ruins my negotiation status. Not only is it geographically important, I mean physically the location of it would be important. Greenland happens to be one of the most mineral rich areas in the entire world, which would be helpful for US.
Speaker 1: Gulf of Mexico to become the Gulf of America.
Speaker 2: Can he do this?
Speaker 1: This is the order called Restoring Names that Honor American Greatness. It's funny how the names of these things are just so like a name. An executive order in seventh grade, maybe not even maybe fifth grade, restoring Names that honor American greatness.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: They also demanded that the highest peak Denale to be reverted back to Mount McKinley, which was the name of it prior to twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: So can he change these? Yes?
Speaker 1: And no?
Speaker 3: They say, well, yes, because you can call it whatever you.
Speaker 1: Want exactly, but the paperwork may not be all filled out correctly, and the papers may not exist that te's not cross, the eyes not dotted, but you can refer to it as whatever you want, and to that effect, so can the rest of the world. Other countries will probably still call it the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: Claudia Shinbaum is the president of Mexico, and she responded when this idea first came up that North America should be renamed America, Mexicana or Mexican America, and Mexico's refusal to use a different name doesn't do anything to our ability or not to call it what we want to call it.
Speaker 1: Also, we only control about twelve nautical miles of the Gulf of Mexico. They for the most part it's international waters, not owned by any country, So there's that. So those twelve nautical miles Gulf of America.
Speaker 3: Well, and the other one of the major geographic landmarks in that part of the world is the Rio Grand River that we call the Rio Grand River, although it's duplicative. They call it Rio Bravo, they being people in Mexico. And then Canada.
Speaker 1: Canada was booted around yesterday by kid Rock is becoming the fifty first state of the United States. Trump is threatened to impose twenty five percent tariffs on Canada within two weeks, and Canada says, bring it, we will respond. The country, they say, is working on retaliation.
Speaker 3: But that they would continue to work on preventing tariffs. The Finance Minister said that Canada has prepared for any developments until the ap None of this is surprising. We are absolutely ready to respond to any one of these scenarios. And it would be a mistake for the American government to proceed with imposing tariffs in terms of the cost living, in terms of the cost living, cost of living in the United States, jobs in the United States, and security of supply chains. This is why, this is why Trump did this in the first place, is to get them to come to the table and to put he fired the first shot, so you could argue that that puts the United States in a better negotiating position than it does Canada.
Speaker 1: It's good, it's great. You did a bang up job. You know, you're kind of like a great quarterback. You don't always get a game ball because you do a great job pretty consistently, so you don't get the accolades of like, hey, great job, because people just expected of you and you do a very good job on the production pieces, and so I would like to give you this.
Speaker 3: You need to borrow money.
Speaker 2: Game ball?
Speaker 3: Are you doing this for?
Speaker 2: I don't have a ball, but just envision me giving you a game, like six.
Speaker 3: Of them down the hallway by that basket.
Speaker 1: We got rid of our balls. I think we just put them and we just they were deflated. I pumped them up first.
Speaker 3: Still there.
Speaker 1: I think I just left the pump for their own balls. I don't need to be doing that for you. Go fundme is where people are going to raise money for victims their own families after many things fire as well.
Speaker 3: But there's a problem. If you're going to use a GoFundMe page to raise money for yourself, FEMA is going to look at that GoFundMe page. I mean, I don't know how. I don't know how actively they're going to go looking for this kind of.
Speaker 2: Don't they have other things to be doing?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I don't know how writing checks right.
Speaker 3: But in this there is a law that since twenty twenty two, the agency cannot duplicate benefits that you get from another source.
Speaker 2: This is like when you are.
Speaker 1: Put out, shall we say, from like an airline or something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They they they make you stay in the airport for two days, they cancel all the flights. It's not weather related, it's their own screw up or what have you. And then they offer you like a two hundred dollars voucher. You take it, you use it, and then the lawyers come calling and they go, hey, were you part of that mess that where you were stuck in the airport for two day?
Speaker 2: And you're like, yeah, that was me.
Speaker 1: And they're like, well, did you accept the voucher and they say yeah, we did. Oh, then wait, we can't help you. That's why you never accept that kind of stuff. You wait for if there is a legitimate legal beef. You wait for the legitimate legal beef, and you don't take the easy out in the voucher.
Speaker 3: I will say this to FEMA's credit, they know this limitation and they know that it could be a hardship for people who are still who are trying to raise everything. Basically they're starting over from scratch in many cases. One video came out from State Senator Sasha rene Perez where she explained, hey, you got to be careful with how you do this. If you apply for benefits through FEMA. Know what your GoFundMe page also says, we want to be sure.
Speaker 4: That your go Fundme page is drafted in a way that is requesting assistance for general items.
Speaker 3: If you have, for example, a go.
Speaker 4: Fundme page that is focused on raising funds for a car that you may have lost in the fire, you cannot then utilize FEMA relief for a car that you lost in the fire.
Speaker 3: Now, and to their credit, FEMA has also come out and said as much. They said that go fund me could be a great way to cover immediate expenses, but it's important to know using it for certain purposes could affect your eligibility for that federal assistance. So if your go Fundme clearly states that the funds you're raising are going to be used to replace your car as that same example, FEMA won't be able to provide assistance for that specific need. So if you are putting up go Fundme pages for yourself, for family members, for friends who may have lost everything in the fire, they said you have to be general and just say we're trying to help Uncle Bob and Aunt Mary cover unforeseen expenses, or without getting super specific about it, or say it's for their shoelace collection. And that way, FEMA is not going to be like, well, we can't replace shoelace collection.
Speaker 2: The tortoise.
Speaker 1: The tortoise, the tortoise that may have been displaced in the fire.
Speaker 3: You got to get a new case.
Speaker 1: Heard about the tortoise, right, There was a tortoise that was displaced in the fires.
Speaker 2: It was one of the first stories that came out.
Speaker 3: No I saw last night, an awful story of a family looking through the burned out remains of the home for the dog that they couldn't find.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Like they.
Speaker 3: Really stopped depicting in areas of the house, Oh God, shelter and didn't make it up.
Speaker 2: TV News needs to back off, man, back off.
Speaker 1: We don't need to see the people out of the assisted living senior care facility in various states of undress being wheeled out in the flames.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They've already lost their dignity. We don't need to give them another dose of that. Good Lord, Good lord.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, what are we talking about? Ooh, the debut of the new swamp Watch. Do you think people are gonna lose their minds? Once we get out with the old swamp Watch. People have actually been asking for a new swamp watch, haven't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we told them to hold your horses, drain the swamp. We're gonna drain now.
Speaker 2: This is the old one.
Speaker 3: That's the old old one.
Speaker 1: Are we gonna play the old old one and then the old one and then the new one?
Speaker 3: Yes we are.
Speaker 2: Oh that's exciting. What a treat, What a musical treat.
Speaker 3: If you miss any part of our show, go back and listen to the podcast KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Garyhannon, or just search Gary and Channon wherever you listen to your podcast. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap