Speaker 1: I think that the best way to come into this.
Speaker 2: Is and this is my big takeaway after our conversation about this film. So I do this radio hit obviously, or we're recording it, I want to make sure, Okay, So I do this radio hit on Ben's show on Tuesdays as we preview this podcast to what the appetites of his listeners. And it was one of those rare circumstances where both of us had.
Speaker 1: Seen the movie already.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I had seen it and you haven't. Sometimes you had seen it and I hadn't. Sometimes neither one of us had seen it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think that happens most that's the norm. Yeh, Tuesdays are the cheap days, right, exactly so, but this is one of the rare times where we both saw it and I was really really surprised to hear that. I mean, you're there was no praise from you. It was the most underwhelming reaction. I got free because I thought you're gonna be so. I even said you, I'm like, weren't you happy you saw your dead body?
Speaker 1: Huh? And you were like, well, Bulky, it's certainly a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, wow, I do not understand you mentioned this is like episode forty something whatever.
Speaker 1: Forty on the button, technically forty one if you count the bride, right, let's not talk about it.
Speaker 2: So when you told me that, I was like, and I felt like I had you figured out. I kind of knew what you liked and what you did. Yeah, I don't anymore. No, it's still evolving now.
Speaker 1: And I admitted off the air without exposing too much for the purposes of this podcast. Your mind frame. It's kind of like when you suggest to your wife or significant other or girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever, brother, sister, Hey, you gotta see this movie. I really enjoyed it. You know what that happened to me with was The Mothman Prophecies with Richard gear Wow, that's a how old is that movie? Very old? I saw it as a child when it was in theaters, and I was like, this is one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. And when I was twenty one, I worked at a summer camp and I got a bunch of the counselors together one night when we were all off, I'm like, guys, you have to see this movie. It's like two hours and twenty minutes. Long and I could tell, like forty minutes in, I'm like, my twelve year old brain maybe overhyped this movie, yeah, relative to what it is. And you could feel the tension coming off of people. I did not see this movie with anybody else, but I was very distracted. I saw it on a Sunday. I had a lot of things going on. I was riding high. The Pens had finally won a game in their Flyer series, but I still didn't have a lot of hope. But I think it was the mindset at which I was watching it and the movies over your dead body, and like it's dislikable characters, right, Like you're not supposed to like these characters, none of them. Yeah, it's like it's like a slog. It's fun, it's funny, it's got its moments. But I think it was the perfect storm and I will, in all likelihood probably see this again because I think my life circumstances impacted me. But I came out of it and I compared it to Roses with you on the show, and I was like, if you told me in terms of a marital couple going through strife, and I could only pick one of these movies. I'd pick Roses ten out of ten times, which, of course is the only one you didn't see this podcast. It's not like you have a frame of reference here for that. But that was kind of my attitude, having such a fresh comparison of something to compare it against. I think kind of also went against it as well, dancing around the topic. We'll be doing this throughout the podcast. That is not what this movie is about. I mean I should know, I shouldn't say that. It kind of is, sure, that's the overarching theme, that is, it's not necessarily the plot.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. So this is a spoiler alert, and by spoiler I.
Speaker 1: Mean first third, well, end of the like no, no, no, I'm not even that.
Speaker 2: A lot of times I will, you know, go on the internet to kind of get a frame of mind of like what I'm expecting, you know, to see what it's about. And a lot of times these films are based off of books or other movies, right sure, And so sometimes I will go and look up, you know, more about that book or more about that movie, which obviously contained massive spoilers. I did not do that for this one, and I'm thrilled that I didn't. This is based off a oh Man I forgot now it's Norwegian or Finish. I think it's Finish, a film from about twenty years ago now, I want to say, called The Trip, and it's the exact same basically, the exact same plot as Over Your Dead Body. Okay, So if you're like, oh, I'll just look up The Trip and say don't do it because it will ruin it for you, and I didn't. I did that after Now there's like some little subtle differences or whatever, but basically it was that. And I'm thrilled because I'm sitting so two things in the first thirty minutes number one, second straight week, I thought I was in the wrong theater for how this started. Sure, it was a brilliant, brilliant start to this film, and then about a half hour in the cards are kind of on the table the way that they build this in the trailer. You know what I should have done is I should have went back and watched the trailer and see how much they reveal in the trailer. I don't think it was a ton.
Speaker 1: No, remember exactly. Yeah, I actually did rewatch the trailer and how much, did it really? Yeah? Almost nothing. Yeah, because I was interested as well if they gave away some of the some of the moments there, and they did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So about a half hour thirty five minutes in, Jason Sieagel's character and Samara Weaving's character are sitting at the kitchen table or their dining room table at their cabin and I'm assuming like upstate New York or somewhere somewhere on there and basically everything like like they're sitting at the table, the cards were on the table, Like I'm like, how are they going to extend another seventy minutes of this storyline?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, and if I thought of you too, because I actually did think of it this time.
Speaker 1: Eagle eyed. You don't even have to be really egoied.
Speaker 2: But viewers who noticed something that was placed, sure in that first thirty thirty five minutes, they're like, well, how is that going to come back?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It does, It does big time, And I'm proud that I saw it, you know, like I noticed at this time, like, well, obviously this is gonna be this is gonna be a thing. And then sure enough, when it's actually Oh, in the flashbacks that we got a nonlinear storytelling was sublime. I'll set this up to you already know this. This was Nick Cochin and Brian McIlhaney, the guys who wrote and directed Pizza Movie. They wrote this film, and then Yorma Taconi, who is a member of Lonely Island with Akiva Schaeffer and Andy Samberg. He actually directed it, and he directed some other SNL stuff like mcgruber.
Speaker 1: And Rod and whatever.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so you know there's like a potential for fresh stuff, right, maybe some stuff you've never seen before, and and things shone through an absurdist, hilarious lens. Yeah, which I think we got. Oh absolutely, and I think like some like Okay, my buddy Stirfry at work, he does not appreciate films like this.
Speaker 1: I told him, I think you might like this, but I know Ben'll like it.
Speaker 2: But I could see totally see why he wouldn't like it because there was some stuff and you mentioned this too over the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah just great. I mean for me, it was great. I thought it was everything involving Juliette Lewis.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and the former mm A guy who was also in this film too. I can't remember who named Jardine Keith Jardine, I think his name is. There's just a lot of like crazy stuff. Timothy Oliphant was great because he basically played a version of himself. I think it is awesome. He reminded me a lot. Do you remember the movie Go. I think we've talked about Go before, Katie Holmesye, he was like, he was like, I would not surprise me at all if that was the same character from Go that he played in this in this movie anyway, So that was the setup for the first half hour. I'm like, how are they going to extend this? And then they did and it was awesome.
Speaker 1: I can say from the first half hour, you know what I felt oddly reminiscent of is the breakup with Vince Vaughn and Jennifer A little bit. Yeah, because think about that, so you are maybe are too far removed from the dating world because I the small talk. I remember being in an out We're in a half car ride with a girl or woman that I was dating that you knew it was on its last legs and trying to fill an hour and a half of travel with dialogue. Some witty banter boy drinks were kind of strong at that party. Huh, you know, like that kind of stuff. And I think they did a really good job of capturing that feeling, and that was probably the most relatable at any point, because like it gets to an absurdist point and at that point, I'm like, oh, no, we've all been here. And I've always kind of used the breakup as my main go to because I had a good friend of mine because I stupid me, I thought they were going to make up at the end of the movie and he's like, dude, the movie's called the Breakup, And I was like, I guess I didn't expect that. Yeah, I didn't. I fully expected to make up too. Yeah. And so like there's moments that just feel like such real relationships and real fights that break out in the moment. This doesn't necessarily hit that level of realism, but I did feel that awkward feeling in your stomach. You're like, oh, this is criinge. Like I almost I say, I can watch a Saw movie. I can watch someone up their arm off and be like, oh, this is gross. But when it's cringe, when it's uncomfortable, when it's awkward, that's when I'm watching behind Like have a finger, like stop talking, stop talking.
Speaker 2: Rachel McAdams in that movie we just saw the Island.
Speaker 1: One, what was it called?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, send Help, Send Help, where she's talking to like her boss in the office that kills. So I'll say, this is a guy who's been married to his wife now for oh man, I got to think about this. It'll be fourteen years this December. I think, yeah, fourteen, but I've been with her since two thousand and two, Okay, so really I've been with her for two and a half decades. Yeah, like I've been with somebody longer than I've been single, essentially.
Speaker 1: Well kind of, yeah, that might be accurate. I don't know. Yeah, it's definitely accurate, right, it's definitely accurate.
Speaker 2: Yes, those uncomfortable silences and and you know, marriage being hard work sometimes, like you could tell that they were both trying to be cordial to each other, right, but sometime, especially in a marriage like that, which thank god, my marriage is not like that, at least I don't think my wife could tell me.
Speaker 1: It's not like that for me.
Speaker 2: Uh there, But it's like nails on the chalkboard, like super painful to try, and you could tell the pain that Jason segels like where he's trying to be super nice and and you know, like, I mean, the thing is I forgot in that moment he's plotting to kill her, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like in that moment it was and they portrayed him as more hapless, like she was far more stern. There's a bit of character in version as the time goes as the movie goes on, but at least at the starting point, he was almost like, oh.
Speaker 2: Fish well, I think that that kind of goes back with their careers where she's the demanding, right aspiring actress that and she's obviously much more attractive than Jason Seal. And he's sort of like this beaten down director who had this one film and now he's directing pop up ads, which I didn't even know was a thing. I guess it has to be a thing. And he just he's just he's got this low self esteem. He goes to is it his dad in the nursing home, who was another great character in this movie. He goes to visit his dad in the nursing home, and his dad's like, you know, just destroying him, you know, yeah, just I just I feel like, this was a guy that had had so much stuff go bad in his life. We know, but it's financial for troubles in this movie, and even the thing that he needed to go right, he couldn't even do.
Speaker 1: That right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It just really was was bumbling, which is which is kind of cool to see how his character sort of evolved. When you're in these tight situations and you're in the in the moment, you need to make split second decisions that can change your life or whatever, it was interesting to see how that character evolved as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I always think that's an interesting plot device. Were you a fan of Malcolm in the Middle when it was on? You know what's funny? I should have watched this show. Yeah, absolutely it had.
Speaker 2: I mean there's technically four brothers, but one is in boarding school. Yeah, so really was three brothers, and I came with a family from a family of three brothers. Now I was in the middle, but I was the oldest one or whatever. But I remember watching the pilot at my grandma's house after like a football game on Fox or something. Yeah, it was after the Super Bowl. I was after the Super Bowl. Yeah, so I watched I watched the pilot and I'm like, oh, this this will be a good show. Never watch it again. Yeah, And I had Brian Kranston and who I'm a big fan of, and they just I just watched the four episode reboots.
Speaker 1: So it was only four EPISODESO. Yeah, it was wonderful. Okay, so well they had no business being that good, But I bring that up to say so I loved that show as well. I related to Malcolm on so many different levels. A lot of the characters are reminiscent in who I grew up with. It's a very dysfunctional family. They love each other, but they have a weird way of showing it. And at one point they break the mom to the point where she just grabs the keys and leaves and they've never seen that before. She goes to the batting cages and she is just jack and dingers and like all these other kids are waiting to get in and she's like a grown ass woman. So she like pulls out eighty dollars worth of quarters to let them know, like, you will not be batting at this batting case today. This is gonna be me for the foreseeable future. And two clus just a relief stress. Yeah, and two clowns come up to her. Literal clowns come up and they say, hey, lady, it's a birthday party. Why don't you get out of the way. And at that point, the rest of the family was there, and they see the way the clowns are talking to the mom and the way they reconcile their differences. Is the whole family beats the crap out of like a half a dozen clowns through different ways, and they come out of it on the other side realizing, yes, we are dysfunctional, but were this kind of dysfunctional? And like that to me was what they were setting up. That was what kind of lent itself to me the entire time. And I thought in that regard, they hit it on a lot of levels.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you this. You got breakup vibes from this? Yeah, the movie The Breakup? You knew how surprised you were at the ending of the breakup? Did that enter in your mind as you're watching this film towards the end?
Speaker 1: No, No, I think it was a very uh do I use the word tacky? I think it ended exactly how you end this kind of movie. Okay, yeah, all the way up until like the litteral real final scene, I would say it is. It is absolutely the way that you would explain. You know.
Speaker 2: There's kind of like a mini twist that has nothing to do with the plot really at the very end, the last couple of scenes with a cameo, a couple of cameos actually, and I did not see that coming down.
Speaker 1: That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So what else did I want to say about the setup to this movie? Oh there's a line that Samorrow Weaving says, I'm not going to repeat when they enter the cabin, right okay, and she says something it's it's wine o'clock and exploitive after that. Yeah, I've probably said that line a half dozen times since I've seen this. I just and she said it. She's Australian, right, She's Australian, And she says it in like a very she's even Australian in this film, but she has this Australian accent. She says it in a very like Midwestern the almost American accent.
Speaker 1: So she very rarely has the accent. She's normally playing an American. Yeah, exactly like we just saw. But she's a good actress. Absolutely, I told you, in my opinion, if she's in a horror movie ready or not too Notwithstanding, I'm typically like, oh, I'm at least giving this a shot, because she very rarely is in something that I'm like, oh, well, that wasn't worth my time. Like, I absolutely, I think she's the twenty twenty screen queen. If she can close out the decade in the right way. I think she's going to be in like the realm of like Heather Langen camp and Sidney nev Campbell and you know, the handful of others that kind of made a name for themselves in the horror genre.
Speaker 2: Do you okay, how you can only choose one bucket?
Speaker 1: Huh? What genre is this movie? Thriller? Actually, let's do this. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: You can give it three categories. There's the primary one, the secondary in the tertiary. How would you describe it? Which three genres?
Speaker 1: Would you said? Thriller number one? Yeah? But now, if you're giving me, yeah, thriller slept But like, is action the same as thriller or is that a sub genre of that?
Speaker 2: No? I think they're two separate movies. Actions and thrillers are are two different things.
Speaker 1: I'd put it thriller comedy action because they.
Speaker 2: Thriller, I would actually put it action with See you said this too, that pizza movie is funnier, and I immediately was just a gast that you would say that.
Speaker 1: But then I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you know what, I think, Ben's right, I think pizza, but that wasn't the idea of this time. The comedic things were just put in for levity for Levity's sake. There were several times in the last thirty minutes where I verbally was like, oh, you know, like one of those is like it was crazy. There are certain things. Twenty one Jump Street had that scene on the bridge where the bikers are chasing Jonah Hill and Chandon Tatum and you keep expecting this big explosion and never happens, and then when it shouldn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what makes it happen. It's something stupid chickens, yes exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, but there are several fake outs in this where I was like, oh, oh, yeah, you know, like so it was very good, and I do.
Speaker 1: Think that might be what's influencing my opinion as well, because we have both kind of professed our fandom of Jason Siegel, like the movies he's in, I'm like, that's a good movie. And he has kind of taken a back seat to Hollywood a lot lately, Like I really don't see him a lot around a lot. I wondered if he had been embroiled in a scandal, like he's been that absent that I had to look it up and I was like, did he do a thing that? So what did you find out when you look at not a damn thing? Like it almost makes me wonder if he's so normal and the rest of Hollywood is such a cesspool that like he made his money and is like, you know what, I'll do the projects I want to do, But I definitely don't want to be embroiled in all this nonsense for the rest of my life. Like I am absolutely super imposing things on what may be the case. But he's talented, he's funny, he wrote, he's good musically, Like he's got a lot of talents to bring people in. And like when you said, let's see this movie, it's Jason Siegel and Tomorrow Weaving, Like I didn't even need to know the rest. I was like, yeah, yeah, totally. And this wasn't the kind of even the sad parts of Forgetting Sarah Marshall had some you talk about quoting movies. I still will quote Forgetting Sarah Marsha Triaking eighteen years later, like and this just it did. It wasn't supposed to be that. It's not like it was trying to be funny and it missed. It's just that it wasn't as funny. I guess I was expecting more of a comedy. I guess it's the best way I can.
Speaker 2: But like Smorrow Weaving does not do comedic stuff, like the stuff that I mean, like, okay, what what's the stuff that she's been in?
Speaker 1: Obviously the movies we just saw, though, yeah ready or not?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: To me, the funniest thing she's been in still shre was she a scream too that she died she's uh, you know the Drew Barry Moore. So she's gone very quickly. But she did both Babysitter movies that went straight to Netflix, and I remember the first one someone was like, you have to see Babysitter and I'm like, dude, no, And eventually movies. Yeah, Okay, she's a cultist. In the movie, she's a beautiful babysitter and she's like babysitting this thirteen year old boy and she invites her friends over, and it plays out like a generic like can't tell the parents, and you think it's gonna be some kind of romp, and then it turns out they're into human sacrifice and they're doing all this weird stuff and you will it is so funny, the delivery of all the characters. It's so well done. It's a horror comedy, and I love that's what made me find this woman to begin with. And I'm like, oh, so she's brilliant, Like this is fantastic. And there's a sequel not nearly as good, but they rarely are, and so I guess that would be the closest thing to a calm And again, similar to this, it's not a comedy, like it's definitely played out as a horror, but like, ah, the whole cast of characters just play so well with one another. So between Jason Segull, having seen the Babysitter movies, I'm like, there's there's a lot of moving parts here that I think could really come together in a way that, in my humble opinion, it just didn't hit in the way that I wanted it to.
Speaker 2: No, we have to go back and say, and this is something you taught me, is.
Speaker 1: Just because it's not what I wanted, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad or it could have been better or whatever.
Speaker 1: But if I would have known I was going to a Jason siegeal vehicle that was going to be more action in comedy, I would have had a different attitude, you know what I mean. It would have been like if you saw this is the End and there weren't really any jokes, it was just right, okay, yeah briefly, yeah, but like it was that cast of character, so Frank and all that, and it's like if you went to go see that and it was mostly about a group of guys trying to survive the apocalypse with a handful of jokes, Whereas this was mostly a bunch of jokes, and there's an apocalypse happening while that's happening. And that's kind of what I was anticipating here, and we kind of got the opposite of that.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about Siegel here for a second, just his career, we go a little off topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please, he was in Freaks and Geeks obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, he was also in and I believe he was kind of miscast in this and I think it only went like one season, but I thought it was gonna be good and it wasn't Undeclared.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the show? It was on Fox? Undeclared Ja the movie which I think Jay Brules I think it was based on the movie. I didn't know there was a movie. Yeah, it came out in like six where like they make up a college and like it's not real. Yeah, there was a whole movie. Okay, so that had to be after the show then.
Speaker 2: Okay, the movie is really good. Okay, I'm not I didn't even wear it. Wasn't even aware of this. Yeah, so I believe Sega was kind of miscast in that as like this kind of like, if I remember correctly, a whole jock boyfriend of the love interest of the main character. Okay, yeah, but I say this to to say he was still an Undeclared, which kind of was. I think you could make the case that it's in the same tree as Freaks and Geeks. Okay, so what else? What else has Jason Siegel done?
Speaker 1: How I Met your Mother? I Met your mother? Popular one.
Speaker 2: You were just mentioning it forgetting Sarah Marshall. Sure, I love you man. Yeah, see sex tape. Okay, these these very slapsticky kind of.
Speaker 1: Com and Windfall from twenty twenty two which you haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: This doesn't fit my argument. Yeah, So he did all those, right? And then what did he do after that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I thought he wrote and directed Jeff who lives at Home with Ed Helms. I could be wrong on that, but I know he starred in it, okay, and that was sort of like an artsy I don't want to say dark comedy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I already know where you're going with this to carry on? And so he did that. He did that AMC.
Speaker 2: Show Dispatches from Elsewhere is what it's called, which I believe he was like the showrunner.
Speaker 1: And writer for yeah, and the lead character exactly. I watched two episodes in Bail. Did you watch it?
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it, okay, but I do know that it was sort of like this like Lostian type of you don't really know exactly what's going on. It was a very challenging, rewarded active viewing.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of the Adjustment Bureau.
Speaker 2: Matt Damon, Yeah, but that was a film. I'm yeah, but the but the principals, Okay, yeah, first, but I'm just saying like writing for television was a little bit different for that, because you'd have like these these massive one week cliffhangers where you're like, you know, just when you think you got to figure it out, you don't know anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I know a lot of people were disappointed at the ending. Those who stuck around for it.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I didn't even follow up on it. I just bailed. I was so disinterested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you would have, I'll tell you what happens at the end. But it wasn't great at least again, I didn't watch it. Maybe if if, if there's people who love this, dispatches from Elsewhere show.
Speaker 1: You're bad at liking things, or maybe I didn't. I didn't watch it better, so I'm not gonna fry them.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's great, but you watched you watched it for two episodes, and you could if.
Speaker 1: You can't survive the Walking Dead bump when walking Dead was the walk was the Walking Dead, bump. Did we put you on after the Walking Dead? Like you have a bill walking down?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I was just like I would actively be like, where's the remote. I'm not watching episode three of this, I'll put anything else on.
Speaker 2: If if you look at AMC, there's a lot of shows that did not say.
Speaker 1: A thousand percent. Most of them didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're the Walking Dead did, which is great. But then I think about Low Winter Sun with Mark Strong.
Speaker 1: That was you know, the one with Loki. I didn't go beyond Oh yeah it was that night Manager. Is that what it was? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then Tom Hidlston by the way, you brute.
Speaker 1: So uh.
Speaker 2: And then they did the one about computers like and I can't remember what it was called.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't either. That was forgettable though, obviously yeah, obviously very it wasn't on very long.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So okay, we're getting way up. We're getting even more off topic from off time. Okay, So now, and I can't tell you everything that Siegul's done. I'm just telling you what I've seen him do or what I know that he's did or know that he's done. And he seems to be branching off in almost to an awe tour phase of his career where he did sex tape and he did I Love You and to get to get the bank roll to get his name.
Speaker 1: Oh this.
Speaker 2: What was the one with Captain Heigel and Seth Rowe? This is forty No, no, no, The one before this is forty knocked Up?
Speaker 1: He did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's playing basically like these kind of like loser slacker characters. Oh, speaking of slacker characters, he was in Slackers, which I'm telling you, did you watch that movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, all right, I just want to make because I love that. I forgot he was in that though, but yeah, you're on. Yeah. So anyway, so that's like where I became the biggest Jason.
Speaker 2: I knew I saw that more Schwartzman was going to be huge, and he did take off, granted with a little help from uh Wes Anderson, but he's the man.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But so we're getting into this weird, different, new sort of phase of his career, and perhaps when we went in knowing it was Jason Siegel, we should have been like, Okay, this isn't like.
Speaker 1: Right, he's taking chances now, Yeah, he's doing different.
Speaker 2: And he's doing stuff he wants to do, like for for sake of argument, and like, you don't come off being a shit runner of your only own television show and just and then do something for a.
Speaker 1: Check, right, exactly, Yeah, he doesn't need to do that, and like for sake of argument, the wind fall me because you said it didn't fit in. It fit in with the second part of your point. Yeah, because I don't know, I'm not familiar with that. I'm gonna describe it to you, and you're gonna say, how the hell have I not had any interesting scenes? And I will say I thought it fell flat. But I'm gonna explain the pieces to you. Now, I'm gonna explain the pieces. So the point is, he plays your standard. It's basically the plot the Good Fortune. He's basically a he's I'm sorry, he's trying to make it in America and he can't. He's like some kind of delivery driver or something whatever brings him to this place. He ends up at this billion dollar mansion, infinity pool, all this stuff, and he ends up just squatting there and starting to take all this guy's stuff. The guy that lived there is Jesse Plemmons, and his wife Lily Collins. They come back Lily Collins from Oh God, you put me on the spot here, don't worry about But they show up and instead of they they're like, you're gonna have to leave, And Jason Siegial gets so used to the life that instead he takes the two of them hostage, and it's them trying to figure out a way that he is going to be able to leave here. How much of their fortune is he going to get for not killing them, And it's just like they're kind of friends, but they also are obviously waiting to kill one another at any moment. And like all of this sounds, I'm describing it in an excited and fun way that it's just like what we saw. It's like there's moments where you're like a and then but it's not like forgetting Sarah Marks, I got it, Okay. I went into it much like I did Sunday, being like, oh Jason, and then I'm like, ah, Jason Siegel. Yeah, so it was. It was. It was one of those kind of moment, which it's also weird too. That's available on Netflix by the way, for anyone interested in that one.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming he got some sort of producer credit on this film, yeah, but did not was not credit with any of the writing nor any of the directing, which I think is weird when you're when you've been doing.
Speaker 1: As much as well.
Speaker 2: Of course I shouldn't say that because I just assume he's been doing a lot of directing and writing stuff. But maybe he hasn't been. And I don't know.
Speaker 1: What opened my eyes to this was Caught Stealing. But I also begin to question sometimes, like what relationship does he Sometimes I think it's just favors, you know what I mean. It's like I need a big time name to put in this movie. You and I are buds off the scene. I'll give you a couple million dollars. I'll let you do this the way you want to do it. Yeah, and I need you to help me build my own credit log. I don't know if this is the case or not, but I sometimes wonder when you watch Caught Stealing and freaking, ve Schreiber ends up and like there was just a list actor after aylist actor, like this is a very middling movie for so many people to be to be in this film, Like how would you do that? Who was who was? Who? Was getting the favor done for them. I'm saying our boys, uh yeah yeah, And it's just like maybe they have a relationship and they're like, hey, you mind slumming it with us and being an actor again to help get Ben's butt in this seat so that we can get a couple extra bucks for this ticket. Like maybe kind of stuffy mee.
Speaker 2: Intriguing him playing a director a struggling direction.
Speaker 1: Sure, exactly, Like you never know with these artists. I just went down a rabbit hole that Christian Bale hates westerns, but he did do one western, right, Yeah, yeah, that was a great movie exactly, and it was like it had such emotional depth. And I was watching an interview with him about why he broke his no westerns rule to do that movie. So why did he He's he was like, because it was about the characters, not the West. He's like, most of the Western stuff was schlock and it's like, here's the Native Americans and we got to shoot these guys, whereas this was a much more character driven story. That's what brought him into it, and he just he annihilated that film as he always does. Maybe that's one of these scenarios again, and I believe Tomorrow Weaving no disrespect her. I obviously gave her her roses. I feel like she's at the point of her career though, where you maximize what you can get. When your name's hot, you get in as many movies as you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her name's hot, but I think she's in danger of being type cast here a little bit too. Yeah, absolutely, because we're not seeing a whole lot of range from I completely agree.
Speaker 1: Maybe she doesn't care. Yeah, you just get in while you can, and then you get out once it's over. And that's that's not the stereotype, but that a lot of act specifically find themselves in that in that kind of category there.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I want to delve into something here that is going to be require some dancing on the part of both of us.
Speaker 1: The first big plot twist.
Speaker 2: In this film, yeah, okay, number one, I brought up something like that. I don't want to say an Easter egg because it really wasn't hidden all that well, the little the little.
Speaker 1: Thing that I said would set up the the.
Speaker 2: Next part of the movie, right, Okay, did you notice it? Yeah, okay, pretty easily.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when they cut to the scene one of the flashbacks, which, by the way, the flashbacks were very Lord and Miller in twenty one Jump Street twenty you know, or yeah, five days later, five minutes earlier, oh and then the three minutes later one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they were having fun with that, all right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so immediately when you find out or.
Speaker 1: How do I want to do this?
Speaker 2: The ceiling thing, Yeah, the ceiling scene. Sure, did you know exactly what was going on? Not exactly, but yeah, like they laid it out. They like they let you know pretty quickly, right for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I mean it was so great with with the stuff like and you've taught me to be a better viewer with this, the key on the on the door doorframe, the blue sweater with the snowflakes on it, all this stuff, like they they paid all that off.
Speaker 1: Which is great, and they set it up in a way and like.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where it's like you're not it's not like a knives out type thing where you're trying to like figure stuff out.
Speaker 1: Anyone who says they saw, like I figured out the knives out, but not the way the movie wanted me to. I use I used movie acumen when they were like, what do you see different in this picture compared to the setup, Like, no one actually saw that lamp. Don't tell me anybody saw that lamp in real life. This was like, are you looking at your phone or are you looking at the screen, because if you're looking at the screen, you saw it.
Speaker 2: My whole thing was like, I want to separate them here, because in Knives Out, you're like and those types of movies, you're constantly you feel this sense of euphoria when you figure something out.
Speaker 1: Right, Sure, this there.
Speaker 2: Wasn't, but it still kind of felt a little rewarding, like, oh yeah, they're paying.
Speaker 1: Them it just you know, what it reminded me of was how I met your mother. They were notorious for that, and they wouldn't even do it in the same episode. They would like in season two be telling the wrong story about a goat, and then in season four you get the story about the goat, right, and anyone who remembered that the goat thing was happening rye And I definitely found myself. And by the way, just so no one judges me, because I know you watch Network TV and I'm not judging you. Of course, that's the last Network show I ever watched, Like I despise Network TV. You know there's a but I enjoyed that show very much. I called Friends two point zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've I could probably count on one hand how many episodes I saw that show.
Speaker 1: Really, although you weren't also a Friends person, you were sign.
Speaker 2: That was Seinfeld, which I want to get into it a little bit. But the people I went to college with because I went to college and I was much older well I shouldn't say much, but significantly noticeably older than a lot of my classmates that I worked with at the radio station, at the TV station, what have you. And they were all huge fans, so they drop all these hemium uh references, and I'll be like, what, Yeah, I was doing the whole Proclaimers thing at my wedding with them, you know, the and I didn't even realize it was.
Speaker 1: How I met your mother? Think ntil years later, that's hilarious. Yeah, Yeah, Have you Met Ben? Was a game we'd played in bars all the time. Have you Met Ben? Yeah? Have you Met Ben? Like that was how they would break the ice with a woman they thought was attractive at the bar. Like one of the friends, have you Met Ted? And then they would introduce Ted Mo the I gotcha okay, yeah, and so have you be Carrier?
Speaker 2: So so there is a conversation going on and and I I know that when you're on, you're on.
Speaker 1: With Nick and PJ.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, still okay, So this is more more of like a show with Tony J and Leo thing debating King King of Queens versus Seinfeld. And to me, it's not close. Yeah, I agree, but I had I said this when they asked me last week. I said, I have seen Seinfeld so many times. Sure, I have Seinfeld on VHS And you say, bulky. Seinfeld was never released on VHS. No, it wasn't recorded it.
Speaker 1: I recorded only the syndicated version. Okay.
Speaker 2: So the only episode I don't have is the Puerto Rican Day episode, which was had a lot of you know, oh my god, we can't be doing this, this is so racist or whatever, and even when it was on you know, just normal TV.
Speaker 1: I'll watch it.
Speaker 2: So I said, now, if Seinfeld and King and Queens are both on, I will watch King.
Speaker 1: Of Queens, sure, just for some new content.
Speaker 2: But even though I've seen those a bunch of times, but I haven't reached the pinnacle there.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves Raymond. To me, I think is.
Speaker 2: I don't put it on the same plane as Seinfeld, but the writing and the acting performances on.
Speaker 1: That is a good one.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're pretty pretty efan amazing, all right. I don't know how we got on the side. Oh siegu was on how I met your.
Speaker 1: Mother really quickly before we move on. That's pretty much all I had to say. I just talked on my show today and I thought you'd appreciate it because you know all the episodes. But I was talking about owning a Honda c r Z and I'd whip it around downtown Pittsburgh and said I would parallel park pulling forward into the space just to show people I could do it. Yeah, And I immediately started thinking of the.
Speaker 2: Parking spot with George and Mike Moss It where Moffatt's trying to pull into a space and George is trying to back into it and they can't pull forward like I would do it just to people. People in the neighborhood start coming down for like what's going on, and then they each have there's like team George and team pull in and team back in, And it was crazy, but just to get get.
Speaker 1: Even further off topic with it there so so enjoy that one. Yeah people will okay, the.
Speaker 2: On a level of zero being nothing at all and ten being oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't see any of this coming.
Speaker 1: Where did the plot twists?
Speaker 2: Not plot twists like some of the shocking scenes we saw, Yeah, and you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, towards the end, where did that register for you? On a scale of zero to ten?
Speaker 2: I mean, because this is where I thought you were. Really, I'm like, I'm watching this, I'm like, god, this is just so common.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was just one after another, like they got so where would you put it? Zero to see? Like seven? Okay, seven? I was pleasantly like, well, not pleasure. I was surprised by it. It felt excessive at times, Right, it did feel excessive, But sometimes I think you like that, yeah if you? And like again with with Siegel being the tour as we describe him as he is, like you can tell that probably was an intriguing part to it, and especially because it started off so rote, like I don't think I'm giving too much away, but like you see the trap that Segel has to set up you see that poison is going to be used by Samorrow Weaving like, they don't hide it, they very clearly, and then it's how those go awry, and I'm like, okay, so this is just going to be slapstick for an hour and a half. That ending was a pleasant surprise in that way, because it started off so like point A, point B, point C and eventually devolving into what was which I can't really say much more about. Yeah, but so it was a nice juxtaposition of the two types of storytelling.
Speaker 2: You know, going back on more than three dozen films reviewed and I don't know how many hundreds of movies we watched over the years, and I'm sure there's one like it. I'm just hard pressed to come up with a film like this, Ben where maybe Sorry to Bother You it would be one of these, but where we have this sort of expectation going in of what this film's about. It sets up pretty well for what it's about in the first thirty minutes or whatever, but then the last two thirds of it something totally different, right, Yeah, something total, and Sorry to Bother You obviously comes to mind, but I mean other than that, I mean that that's what I think makes this so unique. Yeah, and I can't say unique because unique means it's one of a kind. This is not one of a kind.
Speaker 1: Film, but in this world, one of a kind's damn near impossible at this point.
Speaker 2: So because everybody takes elements from other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, there's really only what is it? There's like seven stories that you can tell what it is. Yeah, I didn't realize it. It's like the hero's journey. Well, the hero's.
Speaker 2: Journey is like one thing, right and like, and there will be people that will tell you that every film it has some sort of version of the of the hero's journey, Like every film is a hero's journey.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's it's executed differently. Sure, but like to like make a very extreme example, the Who's On First? With Abbott and Constello is one of the most famous things ever.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you're bringing this up. Okay, randomly, last this would have been.
Speaker 1: Friday.
Speaker 2: My kids had their Fine Arts uh presentation at school, which is just like music and whatever. Sure, randomly Friday morning, I'm like, god, you know what, I had?
Speaker 1: The Who's On First?
Speaker 2: Like my parents got me the audio cassette back in the day for Christmas, and I thought it was great and I used to have the whole thing memorized.
Speaker 1: I listened to it so much.
Speaker 2: Anyway, randomly on Friday, I'm like, God, I haven't listen.
Speaker 1: I gotta go on YouTube and watch that.
Speaker 2: You know, because just to watch it again this Fine Arts presentation. Hours after I have this, two of the older kids executed the Who's On First.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful, but really weird, right yeah, and then now here I am later, I know this story.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, I.
Speaker 2: Felt I So I watched it on YouTube last night because I remembered. I'm like, oh, I never watched it, and I watched the movie version, which I shouldn't have because there's no laugh track in there, and I think those guys are really good at playing off audience reactions. Yeah, so I should have watched the actual like radio version or television show version. And then I fell down the Abbot and Costello rabbit hole. God, so much stuff I learned about those guys anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, the only reason I bring them up. Have you ever seen And this is gonna sound ridiculous because these are two of the classic people in all of Hollywood and comedy. Have you ever seen the Jason Lee and Tom Green vehicle stealing Harvard? No? I have not, okay, but but I know of it. There's a scene where they're intending to break into a wealthy person's house. Jason Lee needs thirty thousand dollars and he's like yeah. Tom Green's like, yeah, it's gonna be easy in and out, no risk. And he's like, all right, let's go. He says, what do you mean let's go? And Jason Lee's like, we're gonna go break into the house. He goes, well, no, you're gonna break into the house. I don't need any money. Why should I assume the risk? He says, you just said there is no risk. He goes, there's not. Like it's a circular. It's the same principle, completely different execution. And I'd argue it's very funny. I'll show it to you when we get off the air. It's a very funny scene. And it's all about the execution and delivery that makes things unique. So even though we've seen everything before, it's a matter you're not necessarily horse cocaine really can't be due done more than one way, But it could be like Magnolia and instead of having horse cocaine, it just starts raining frogs for no reason when everything hits a boiling point and then it just starts. That's basically the same kind of idea, but X shown to you in an entirely different way with an entirely different plot. And this is kind of the same thing again here as well, although I'd argue not in the same realm as those two examples we just gave in terms of a memorability, But also am I the weird one? Like who else knows what's Sorry to Bother You? Is?
Speaker 2: Magnolia is very famous? Like how many people You're the only person. Okay, you're the only person ever to bring up Sorry to Bother You with me? And anytime I've talked about this film with other people, like yeah, my buddy Ben that I do this podcast with, he's the one who told me about it, They're like, I never heard of it. And then some of them are actually watching and they're like, wow, that was pretty messed up, you know good?
Speaker 1: But yeah, exactly, there are people in their eighties because I do am talk and there are people in their eighties that would like find me on Twitter and be like, Ben, I watched Sorry to Bother You and I'm just sing and they're looking at their profile picture picturing them looking at this naked horseman in way of all the movie suggestions I've made you although it is one of my favorites. Yeah, I was like, this is the one you listened to me and have decided to comment about. What was their reaction to it? They were like, oh, really, it was really uniquest. When you're eighty, you're probably just looking for anything new, right.
Speaker 2: If I'm but dude, if I'm eighty, I would not understand like what was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's probably a lot they needed to think.
Speaker 2: Could you You said it's one of your favorites. Could you if somebody because I can't do this, if somebody told you to rank your top five movies of all time?
Speaker 1: Could you do it? No, because it's it's environmental. Like if you were like, tell me your top five adolescent movies, tell me your top five movies since you moved to Wisconsin, tell me your top five I could do that in a heartbeat. But in terms of like I mean, I know, Fight Club and Sorry to Bother You, the Dark Knights, like those are all in some realm of my top movies, but I've liked to actually rank them. They're just so different. Your first piate the care bean freaking love that met, and then it changes over time, of course, exactly because you get different stuff out of it every single time, you know.
Speaker 2: For a while, so for I really held on to these epics. Like to me, if I'm gonna say my favorite movie of all time is blah blah blah, it's got to be some epic type of like really involved filmmaking, storyline, acting whatever. I can't I can't put dumb and Dumber up there, sure no for no offense to the people.
Speaker 1: But I can put it best comedy, yeah totally. But best film overall, Balky's best picture. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for a while, I don't think I really had one. And then I saw Titanic for the first time and I'm like, oh my god, this is blew me away right, and and yet the love story whatever, but just the actual filmmaking, the cinematography, I mean, the setup that you had for this movie, like an hour and a half or two hours. That was like an hour and a half before this Iceberg even enters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 2: And I have both of them. Yeah, I should say both of them. If I have one, I obviously have the other. So so for that, like the setup was so involved and then I'm actually feeling like I'm I'm on this ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So then I don't know for like, and I could only bring myself to watch it once a year because it just got it took so much.
Speaker 1: Out of it, watch a bunch.
Speaker 2: Then years later the Curious Case of Benjamin Button held the held the title for me, that's interesting and I don't know what it was if I identified with this kid who was born an old man and then dies a baby, you know whatever, and how backwards his life is and you are taken through it is an epics story man, like the stuff with his father, with the Chicken Russia, with with the dancer, like all in the the old folks. So I mean like it is so in the hersham Ma hershaw Ali, who is brilliant in this. And oh the other woman I can't think she was in for brother the three thousands, andre three thousands wife she was in Oh I don't know what her name? Okay, look it up, look, look it up. A Curious Case of Benjamin Button. She was great in it, and I can't think of what her name is, but but she was great. So she had all these other characters that that were fantastic in Itaji Pnsen, That's who it was.
Speaker 1: She was great.
Speaker 2: So and then and that movie too, I watched it like two or three times. I'm like, I can't. It takes too much out of me. I don't have time, and so like I would not consider I do like that movie and the way it tied in with Katrina and everything at the end, which.
Speaker 1: Is really cool.
Speaker 2: I do like that movie, but I can't label it as my favorite of all time. So if somebody were to ask me, bulky, don't even rank them, just what's your favorite movie all time?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even know where to begin, right, and I'd have a starting point. But starting.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, is I and You've added horror to my repertoire a little bit, and I'm starting like that genre more so. Sure I did, but for me it was like comedy, drama, action, you know, thrillers, psychological thrillers like like those. I liked everything like rom com is really the only thing. I just can't.
Speaker 1: I can't. I cannot get on board with you.
Speaker 2: There's certain romantic comedies that that are fine or whatever, but mostly I can't.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not a Hope Floatsky. You won't. You won't see me talking about that.
Speaker 2: So but now I add horror to this, and like this is a completely other thing too, where I can't really Now I'm just enjoying film for the sake of enjoying film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, and like it's almost impossible and we're so far off topic, but I love it because I just saw this post three days ago, and the fact that you mentioned Titanic is kind of ironic, much like I did the of it and Costello. But some an account that I follow on Twitter put up two Rotten Tomatoes sites and was like, really, and it is really, you're trying to tell me that Titanic is worse than Sam Raimi's Dragged Me to Hell from two thousand and nine, and you look and Drag Me to Hell has a higher critics and audience score than Titanic does, and like, if you ask me, drag Me to Hell all day. Yeah, But like it's it's a matter of like reviewing it for what it is.
Speaker 2: Does that say something about the people who are going on Rotten Tomatoes and just movie critics in general.
Speaker 1: Oh? Absolutely. And I've always been a firm believer, like Dumb and Dumber with critics always was rated like now it's kind of adjusted because enough people with common sense have become critics. But like when Rotten Tomatoes was new, Dumb and Dumber on critics would be like thirty five to forty percent. It's like it's slapstick blah blah blah, and it's like it's called dumb and dumber. Yeah, it's like what are in the title?
Speaker 3: Yeah, every you got exactly what you wanted out of that man. Anyone went to that movie got exactly what they wanted in the in the critics score didn't reflect that. And I have noticed as time has gone on the Freaking Terrifier series, all three of them from critics has over a ninety percent review rating, even though they are most they're so graphic that I can barely get through them, and I'm like, this has a ninety two percent because you know what you're getting, and you're like, if I wanted to be grossed out by a mime, I got that for an hour and a half. I got that, and the reviews kind of reflect that. And I still maintain Drag Me to Hell's a very underrated classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and by the way, you're not the only one who's who said that. Yeah, okay, So regarding the Terrifier thing, is there, I mean, are there levels of execution.
Speaker 1: Of like executions of bad work.
Speaker 2: Are there levels of how things are presented to the viewer that are better in Terrifier that are not as good in some other yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so it's very nihilistic. It just feels heavy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So from as much from an artok this is going to sound like an oxymoron. From from an objective artistic standpoint, Yeah, you can make the case a pretty strong case that Terrifier does things better. Yeah, and those films better than it's peers in a genre.
Speaker 1: Then Hatchet, and like Hatchet's an enjoyable movie, but it's more of a comedy. They kind of stay lighthearted. This the best way I can describe the Terrify would you what would you? Yeah, okay, what would you compare Terrifier to nothing? Okay? And because the best way I can describe it is when I was a kid. I was a thrill Secret's why I like horror movies when I was a kid, and I'd always ride roller coasters. I went to Cedar Point and I was sixteen years old and I was on the drag Cedar Point. I heard it's like the they call themselves the roller coaster capital of the world. They have they have a roller coaster there called the Dragster that goes where is is this in Pittsburgh, Ohio? Oh okay. It goes one hundred and twenty eight miles an hour and it just shoots you up a hill and you're four hundred and thirty feet in the air and then you just go straight down and that's the whole ride, and you go, but you it's like go and you're going one hundred and twenty eight. They have a phenomenon right there. You see yourself hit it. You go up. You're watching them test it and sometimes it doesn't clear the top of it because it's too windy, and they're like, we got to wait a little bit. And I remember sitting there. I was sixteen and my brother was fourteen. It is the only time because like I was like, yeah, I don't give a crap. I'm here with my hands up and like I'm loose on that one you saw me holding the thing. I'm like, okay, when is this actually gonna take off? I actually can feel it in the pit of my stomach. I'm nervous. I know I'll be fine, but like I am anxious about what's about to happen. When Terrifier three came out most recently, and like they put it on a streaming service, I watched it the first day it was available, and I had the drags. I'm like, yeah, all right, I guess we're doing this. This is how long? Two hours and twelve minutes? All right, let's do those are two hour movies. I'm like, all right, let's see. And like the third one starts, the main character who's in it said that he saw the scene for the opening scene, the way it was decorated and vomited, and I was like, oh, okay, let's see what happens. And I watch it, and I'll be honest, I've seen worse. But it's the it's the context behind what happens in the first scene where you were you said, you see what you see, and you're just like, okay, this probably would resonate with me more if I were in a different phase of my life. But I can understand why this would hit home with people.
Speaker 2: And so would it be better if you would have seen those when you were younger?
Speaker 1: See I I'd like, I like that, we're going down this rabbit hole. But I always say, if I had kids, I would show them the stuff that I grew up on, because I think this would have turned me off to horror. Like I needed to see Freddy like turn into a TV and jam someone's face into a TV. I'd be like, oh, that was silly, welcome to prime time, bitch, like fun times. I'm seven years old, Like ah good, I was quoting that all the time, terrifying. It just hits levels of just like I said, just extreme nihilism and extreme grossness. And there is a plot and like again it's it's like a very pro feminist movie. It's gonna sound ridiculous, Like there's a there's a through point that you're like, oh, this has a really coherent message throughout these entire films, Like there is attention to detail and a quasi plot there. But it's the third the second I plot, Yeah, the second one's two hours and thirty two minutes long. Man, I'm not even joking. An hour and forty five to an hour fifty minutes of it is just like, oh my god, come on, he's just like Glory shopping one limb after and doing these awful things to these people, and you're just like, how am I getting through this? And like that? That that to me. My brother will tell you that it's the best thing he's ever seen, the third one, because they just after you see the third one, you really can't watch the second one anymore. It's like a John Wick movie because once you see literally you're like, oh, the second one's kind of passe all things. And the fourth one, which is coming out in October, which I won't make us do, but it's the final one. That's not There's no way it's going to be the final one.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Like I'm telling you, man, it's telling the plut they're actually going to hell for the fourth movie because the third one, let's just say, there's a reason on the.
Speaker 2: Fifth one they'll go back to hell. There's I've seen I know what Vin Diesel does. Okay, it's it's not something that can't be duplicated.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you the Tom Cruise, Vin Diesel, all these guys, they know how to do it, and the Terrifier is going to figure it out as well. Yeah, you can't as long as this film is making money and it is buzzy, you know, like I've never seen any of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to be like Halloween, everybody's talking about Terrifier, we gotta watch a terrifier, more terrifier, Terrifier.
Speaker 1: Like, you can't have.
Speaker 2: That much attention focused on you by the American viewing public and maybe even worldwide viewing public and just be like now we're gonna we're gonna wrap.
Speaker 1: Up the story.
Speaker 2: Now you're not Jerry Seinfeld. You can't just you can't just go out like that. That's not there's so many people that that would be craving more. There's gonna be more. Maybe it's a British direct. I'll make a bet on this. Okay, when did the first one come out?
Speaker 1: Let me double check that, let me double chaw. And it's over ten years old, right, Well it actually it started off it was like if you've ever seen Creep Show, it was he hit Art. The clown was a character in the creepshow. Okay, not literally. Creep show was called All Hallow's Eve, but it was one of the three stories that were told. The clown was there. But the first Terrifier release, uh March fifteenth, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's eight years old. So he's been coming over about every two or three years.
Speaker 1: Twenty two and then twenty four, and then it's coming out in October, I believe of this year. Confirmed for twenty twenty six is all it says.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this right now, before we hit twenty January first, twenty thirty, we will have a fifth Terrifier film out in the pub.
Speaker 1: Now, I'll take that, all right. What do you want to say? Fifty fifty bucks? All right, all right, there you go. You guys are a witness here January first, twenty thirty. If I'm still alive, I'm getting the time of I'm time staying okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Eleven, okay, so real quick. As long as they're super off topic. I don't know how he This is a disservice to Jason Siegeld Tomorrow Weaving.
Speaker 1: I like where we ended up on this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the tales from eighty five Stranger things.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that at all? There's one the you brought it up with me, but I have not seen it yet.
Speaker 2: Robert England one of the it's obviously animated, so he's not in it, but he plays I can't remember the character's name, but it's one word and he's he's the voice of this one character entails from eighty five, which is going to be very very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was trying to react.
Speaker 2: My brain said, when you brought up Freddy him like I was just talking about him the other day. So that'll be that'll be cool. Okay, we gotta bring it back. I'm trying to think if I have anything else to say about this. It's difficult to talk about the last hour of the movie and any more detailed than we've already did. So I'll just I'll sum this up. I'll sum this up. Slow burn set up. It only took about a half hour. I had myself wondering, what where are they gonna go from here? Yeah, the last hour I loved it was great. I didn't know what was gonna happen next. Ben would agree with me that it was over the top. I liked the over the top aspects of it. More so than Ben did. It was, dude, it was just I didn't know what I was watching. It was it was so it was just fun. It was so fun. Not cathartic is the wrong word, but it was so much fun watching this. I'm like, I just wanted it to keep going, you know, until you know, the story eventually resolved itself and we got the ending and what have you. So, I dude, I thought this was a really fun watch. I was thinking about this for a while. I'm giving it an eight, and I I know that's going to be higher than you, but this is a solid eight for me. This is this is right up there with Send Help, the the Sam Rockwell one that we watched Lock Half Fun, Don't Die, right up there with kind of like I don't want to say obserdist, but like stuff that like you know, you really got to suspend disbelief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time chewing scenery, I think is probably a phrase that we banded about quite a bit describing this movie.
Speaker 2: So so so for so for this, it's right up there with that, Like this falls into the growing larger bucket of movies I probably wouldn't have seen if we weren't doing this podcast. Yeah, and I'm glad I watched it because it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not mad that I watched it, but I'm more in the in the sixth range. However, I do reserve the right. I'm going to give it a second viewing, and I reserve the right to come back to this at a future episode. I'll be like, that'll be the cold open. I'll be like, hey, you know.
Speaker 2: And like the the plot twist will be lost on you because you'll know it's coming, right. But I think the execution of the stuff I really thought you were going to enjoy over the last forty minutes.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. And I'm very good at putting myself in that mindset of just like like I can watch Jaws and know that like when Jaws came out, no one knew what it was about because trailers weren't what they used to be, Like, no one knew what they were getting into. They just went in and were like, oh, I wonder what this Jaws movie is and they were floored. And like, I can put myself in that, in that boat, even though I metaphorically speaking of metaphorically speaking, you needed a bigger one. I must figure one.
Speaker 2: So the other and I just want to touch on this real quick. The other character that we I gave short shrift to was the guy who played Jason Siegel's dad in this film. And I can't remember what the actor's name is, but he is a longtime character actor and I recognized him immediately, Ben And maybe you did, maybe you didn't. You probably didn't. But I love the movie Spotlight. You know I've talked about that before. Yeah, he was in Spotlight. Okay, Yes, the scene with Michael Keaton and him at the bar having a drink and he kind of tells Michael Keaton's character, you know, this is the church, you probably need to back off. He also was in the scene with Michael Keaton Rachel McAdams the teacher, and then he's sort of like a liaison with the school district and the Catholic church. The four of them were meeting at the school and then they walk across the street to the Boston Globe. Those are the only two scenes I remember him being in. I think he was in more, but I'm like, that's the dude from Spotlan. Yeah, and you never think it was such a button and it was the same guy obviously, but he was such a buttoned up guy in Spotlight and.
Speaker 1: This he was just he was awesome. Man. Yeah, like that guy was great. Oh my god. And then the car. We didn't even talk about the car. I didn't even know stuff like that existed in real life.
Speaker 2: A samurai swords, shift knobs, that's awesome. And the lighting, oh god, it was just great. And consider the guy driving it. Now, maybe that's one of the over the top things, sure for you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, I dig it, and I always find it interesting the character actor is used as an insult because to me, those are some of the best people. That's what makes movies movies, because you can be one thing, who were we just saying Samorrow weavings kind of just the one thing in most movies, Whereas if you can play four distinct characters, that's a hell of a skill that I should be more appreciated. I think that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, character actors are are are celebrated amongst their peers, I think, yes, but not amongst.
Speaker 1: It's like the term a comedian's comedian, where like they aren't necessarily commercially accepted, but amongst other comedians, Like, no, that's actually a super funny guy, but it's just not commercially funny. Yeah, and it's a similar idea.
Speaker 2: And like the great ones are memorable enough for like casting directors be like, oh, we should get this guy or this woman for this part or whatever, and then all of a sudden, before you know what, this guy or this woman have like forty credits to their name, Like how did they get all this work?
Speaker 1: They're good at their job. There's one I'm going to see if it works. Character actor BoJack Horsemen. Yeah, character actress Margo Martindale. She's not I don't even think you can call our character actor.
Speaker 2: I know she's been Academy Award nominated at least once, yeah, maybe twice. Now, she's been in a ton of stuff and granted, yeah she's a character actor and a lot of stuff, but she's I mean, like you you don't get I think once you are Academy Award nominated, you can't.
Speaker 1: Be a character. But have you not did you not watch BoJack Horseman at all on that place? I've seen a couple episodes, so it's a running bit throughout all five seasons where like they don't even know that she's there, but she was the nurse in one scene like how does she disappear into all these roles? And like that's always my career. I just yeah, that's the quintessential character actor to me is Margot Martindale. But yeah, all right, that feels like a good note. I realized while we were talking, I need to start sending you the links to the movies that I think because I can't. I saw like four, I'm like, oh that comes out me first, but I remember any of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have a list here, and there's one I'm hoping that you're gonna say, and you're probably gonna say, no, we're not doing it. I'm not going to tell you which one is cool. I want you to tell me which one you want to see. Okay, So here are the choices. This is what I got lined up for us. There's this movie called Hokum with Adam Scott. It's a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just saw the trailer for it and it spoke to me a little. But yeah, well let's see what else you got.
Speaker 2: There's Omaha, which looks like a really kind of heavy drama about a guy bringing his kids cross country on a trip after something happens to their mother. I bring it up because John mcgaro's in it. John mcgaro, I think is like an underrated actor. He was in The Big Short. He was the neurotic guy of brown Hole Capital. Yeah, and I brought him up before. I think he's a good actor.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's that one audience, so.
Speaker 2: They can't forget it, and that's the reaction I expected. But I thought i'd bring it up on the On the list I'm looking at, this is not in alphabetical order, and Omaha was listed first, So like, okay, well, this obviously must be somebody thinks it's good.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Animal Farm is an animated adventure.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love the book and I probably will see that movie in my free time. I reference it all the time on my show. But it doesn't seem like this movie particularly sticks to the plots. And if that's the case, then I'm not interested, all right, And then you have the Circus directed it though it might be good and that don't take that as an indictment in case it turns out to.
Speaker 2: Pop Animal Friends, which I believe is another animated movie coming out this weekend. Dan Levy less interest in that oneay, Yeah, uh, Devil wears Prada to get out of here, keep moving. Never saw the first one that yeah, either, and then I thought saving the one that I really wanted for last.
Speaker 1: Now I don't see it on here. Maybe it's not. I thought it'd open up this weekend. What is it? Deep water?
Speaker 2: Oh dude, that's the one I was gonna suggest, really, because that's when I was like, he'll never go for it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to send you a screenshot. So, like, I have a habit. And this is going to sound ridiculous to people listening to me, but if you know me personally, it makes perfect sense. I'm very big on box and whisker plots to describe exactly how much I think. Whisker Yeah, so basically breaks things up into quartiles, like you have the top twenty five percent, the bottom twenty five percent, and the two twenty five percent. And I can use them very frequently.
Speaker 2: To like, oh, what does box and whisker have anything to do with it?
Speaker 1: Because you make boxes and then the whiskers kind of represent the top twenty five and bottom twenty five percent, and in the box is the middle like the average either slightly below or above average, and you're just describing a bell curve, aren't you? Sort of It's a different way to kind of put that same kind of information out there. After I saw Cocaine Bear, someone was like, how good was Cocaine Bear? I said, let me make you a box and whisker plot of all of the creature feature movies, and then I'll show you where Cocaine Bear ends up on my list, and like, what's funny is? And I never noticed it about myself, but in the top percentile of the box and whisker plot, it was deep blue sy forty seven meters down the sequel the original forty seven meters down Jaws. And I was like, okay, so obviously I like shark movies. And I didn't know this until I actually the Shallows was high up on the list, and I was like, clearly, I just like shark movies. And I didn't know this about myself until I saw it in writing, Well, what about what did you think of open Water? That's by far the worst one of all and that's not really a shark movie, like, but I'm telling you that was the no that scared the hell out of you. I always will equate you.
Speaker 2: The most creeped out Okay. So obviously the plot is wild. I mean it ends up, which this is kind of comparable. It seems like there's a little more you know, surface area.
Speaker 1: Who wants Okay.
Speaker 2: But here's the other thing too, with with open water, and I know it's hokey. I've went back and I've looked at this scene, Ben.
Speaker 1: And it is hoky.
Speaker 2: It's stupid, and yeah, it's not really well done. But the scene at the very end where the camera, oh my god. There has not been a shark movie that has executed anything I'm including Jaws Deep Blue Seed when the shark eats Samuel Jackson. There has not been anything anything ever that I've seen.
Speaker 1: Counterpoint, have you forty seven meters down too too? See two cage? Because you would never expect that that movie would be any good. Yeah, that's why it blows the first one in it? Right, nobody's in it relative to the first one. Nobody's in it. Yeah the Meg. We didn't even mention the Meg. Yeah, which, yeah, that's a bit different. But like dude, forty seven meters down too, it's called uncaged because they're not even in a cage. But Ben, how do you how do you do a movie like that when you're not in a cage. They go to these underground it's three college age girls. They scuba dive down to check out these underground temples and they knock over pillars and it kind of traps them into thing, so they have to go out a separate way, and now they're basically in this underwater temple. And because they knocked the pillars over, the water water is Murky and the Sharks. The entire movie. I watched it clenched, you know what, was clenched for an hour and a half because when the sharks appeared, they looked real and it's hard to get me with a jump scare beca. I'm always like, Okay, you're gonna look at the thing, it won't be there. You're gonna look back and then it'll be there. That's not what they do. They She was just like, Oh, I've been lulled into a false sense of security. I don't even know if sharks are in this way. Yeah, all right, I gotta watch it. It's a hunt. I believe it's also on Netflix. It is, without a doubt, my favorite creature feature. Cocaine Bear is like in my bottom forty percent, like I wasn't impressed with it go on.
Speaker 2: Probably because the expectations and like the how people. You know, It's like when Gerard Butler came out with that movie Plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was yeah exactly. I was excited for that after Yeah. No, So anyway, I don't think Cocaine Bear took itself seriously enough. I know it's a ridiculous sense. You know, we directed that. By the way, Elizabeth thinks, oh, I think she's in it, right, she's in it. Yeah. And that was Ray Liota's final film that he ever made. On top Yeah right, definitely wasn't the bottom, but like, yeah, yeah, but yeah, deep Water I'm in said Okay, good.
Speaker 2: So I didn't think you're gonna say Yesterda'm like, oh, balky that because I didn't realize you were this big of a shark movie fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, neither did I.
Speaker 2: There's another one. Did you see crawl at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: With the iterator Yeah, And there's one with a shark and yeah, and that. I just happened to be watching the trailer for that one day and I said to my wife, I'm like, hey, we should watch this sometime, and she's like, my dad won't shut up. About this movie. He wants to watch it a second time with me. Yeah, and then he came over and they watched it. I had something going on to show or something. Remember what it was called, because I wanted to see that as well, and I can't remember.
Speaker 1: It's one word. Okay is it on Netflix? Is they watched Okay? Yeah, because I've seen that it advertises to him. It's like, oh, this dumb ass will love this. Yeah. Good, but uh yeah, I'm excited for that one. And hokum, that could end up banging. But uh, crash is what it's called. Crash Okay, Yeah, that's what it is. Hokum. I like, for all I know, this will be one of our biggest regrets because maybe it'll turn out Hocum's an instant classic, but like I'm not. I wasn't sold on it, And like if we don't, which everyone we don't see, We've got a pretty decent line up coming up with the Moratal Kombat movie and a handful of other up punish coming out two weeks away from Mortal Kombat two episodes. Yeah, we'll do deep Water and then we'll be where we'll come back. So uh and then I mean technically we could do HOKEM then, because after that we have the Punisher, which will be available forever by kind of like the cash in on that Punisher buzz right when it's new. So you know what, I just realized I didn't watch the airbla. Yeah I didn't either, I didn't see Yesterdays. But anyway, I think we've gone on long enough. Oh my god. Sorry, this was the most off topic of all off times. Yeah, let you guys know what you're getting into at this point, and so thanks for being here and we'll be back next week.