Speaker 1: I'm excited to visit with a very funny comedian by the name of Matt Sharp. He's going to be in Iowa with me tonight and tomorrow night where in Sue Falls Together. He's also a therapist and comedy and therapy. Do those things go together?
Speaker 2: Matt, Oh, absolutely good, sir.
Speaker 3: It is fun to see people being able to find joy in life. So when I work with clients with depression, you know, anytime we can find a moment of levity or humor that we can bring some laughter out is always a positive thing. And there's actually a number of therapy intervention interventions that are designed to help clients laugh at some of their own symptoms. Not to make fun of them or not to diminish them. But when I can take a stressor or a source of anxiety and laugh at that a little bit and kind of see myself in a more human way, it's actually incredibly liberating. So yep, therapy and comedy go together all the time.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to make sure that we let people know it's not like he's on stage going, oh you should hear about this one crazy dude that come to my office. It's not that at all.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, those hippo fines are pretty pretty steep if you're talking about clients in public. But I reserve the right to make fun of people who should be in therapy and are not.
Speaker 2: They are fair game one percent.
Speaker 1: So a therapist and a stand up comic. But which one came first? Were you a therapist that started comedy or a comedian that started doing therapy.
Speaker 3: Well, on the one hand, professionally, as far as how I get paid, you know, therapy came first. But I've been interested in comedy and been laughing and listening to old comedy records that my parents had ever since I was in sixth grade. So I've always been enjoying comedy and telling funny stories and doing a lot of public speaking with a lot of comedy, all of those things. But as far as professionally stepping on stage with a mic, that therapy came first.
Speaker 1: I think it's a cool combination. Most comics I know actually should see a therapist. Now, I've never seen you do therapy, but i've seen you do comedy, and you do a great job. And I bet you're a good therapist because you're really easy to talk to to.
Speaker 3: Sort of one of the prerequisites for our professional If people are jerks that really usually don't make good therapists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose if the therapy session is literally just you telling him, well found the problem, it's you, they probably wouldn't come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I live near I live near Grand Rapids, Michigan, and I will tell the joke occasionally that I want to move my practice to Grand Rapids because they have a section of Grand Rapids called Gasolely Village, which seems like a great place to do therapy. Sit there and tell people, yeah, it is your fault and charge him for that. So so far, I don't think that's gonna work, but that's kind of the goal at some point, is to I'm totally kiddy.
Speaker 1: Or you could just try to convince him there is no problem. I don't know what you're talking about. There's no problem at all.
Speaker 2: No, nothing's here, nothing to see here at all.
Speaker 1: So I love that.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Matt Sharp is who we're talking to right now. Matt is a very funny stand up comic from Michigan. He is going to be with me tonight in Iowa Royal, Iowa. So if you know anybody in that area going to be there at the Great Hall in Royal tonight for a fun, clean comedy show. And then tomorrow night we're in Sioux Fall, South Dakota at the Ramata and you and I had a chance to work together there. That's been about a month ago. You only did like a quick, little five to ten minute set, but tomorrow night you're going to be doing like a full forty five minutes to an hour set at the Ramata. And again, very very funny guy. I'm excited to work with you again.
Speaker 2: Her. Oh, it's fun and what a great crowd.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was a smaller bunch, but man, we had a great time and the other comics you had lined up for us, And we should probably tell people that these are clean comedy shows so you can escape from your family or bring them with, whichever you prefer. Will be in the PG to PG thirteen contient rating range, so it'll be a great time. You will need to you will not need a shower or anything afterwards. We'll just have a great time laughing together and enjoying some time with family and friends.
Speaker 1: And the thing I think works out really good again. The show tonight in Royal, Iowa. The show tomorrow night, and Sue fall South Dakota. It's right after the holidays. So if you've got family and friends and people that have been staying with you and you're going, hey, I need to entertain these people, bring them out for a clean comedy show. It's going to a whole lot of fun. Or on the other hand, if you're like, you know what, I've had enough of these people, then you can just say, hey, Mom, sorry, I don't have enough tickets, so we got to go. Don't wait up for us. We're gonna be home late. You guys have a good time without.
Speaker 3: Us though, And Mom, if you're listening to this, we'll sneak you a ticket if you want to show up.
Speaker 2: We're to all the fine again.
Speaker 1: Our guest today Matt Sharp. He and I are going to be in Royal, Iowa tonight. The reason I keep bringing that one up I know it's holidays, so you know a lot of folks traveling. So if you happen to be in that area with family and friends tonight, come and join us tonight in Royal, Iowa at the Great Hall Beautiful Venue. Or if you know people who live in that area and you want to reach out and say, hey, clean comics in your neighborhood, you might want to check it out. And then tomorrow night we're going to be at the Ramata in Sioux Falls, and they've got a cool dueling piano show set up for New Year's Eve, so they've already got the rooms set up for that for tomorrow night. So we're going to have our stage in the center and we're going to be able to do comedy in the round where we'll have people all around us, and then we're gonna be telling jokes in middle. Have you ever done comedy like that before, Matt.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, absolutely, it's great fun.
Speaker 3: You kind of keep turning, make sure no one's trying to sneak up behind you, you know, to heckle you or anything.
Speaker 2: So now this is gonna be a great night.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for it, but I'm also a little concerned with my ADHD, Like I don't know where I'm going to be looking or how I'm going to do that. But and again officially, in order for us to have that, we have to have that many tickets sold. If we don't have that many tickets sold, I can pull the wall closed, and I might be doing that just for my own sanity, So we'll see if you would like to get a ticket again tonight in Royal, Iowa or tomorrow night, and that tomorrow night is Intoo Falls at the Ramata Conference Center. And there's also a silent auction tomorrow night as well. All of the details online. Matt, thanks for your time.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a great night. I can't wait to see you.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to have a lot of fun laughing in Iowa and Sue Falls.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 1: I will see you tonight, folks. I hope to see you tonight or tomorrow night. If you'd like to get ticket information, I've got links for the tickets for tonight and tickets for tomorrow night on my personal Facebook page Facebook dot com slash Big John Small. But you can also register to win tickets for Tomorrownight Sunny Radio dot com. You can also find tickets for Tomorrownight at Suefallscomedy dot com. I feel like it's all over the place and I would love to have you come out and join us. It's gonna be a darn good time again. All of the details for that at Sue Fallscomedy dot com.