Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and KOA ninety one FM.
Speaker 3: Got Saddy Can the Nice Three.
Speaker 2: By Donald sad Thing.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Local, Welcome to a Monday edition of the show. I am your host, Mandy Connell, and I'm joined, of course by my right hand man, decked out in orange and blue to celebrate a very questionable win, Anthony Rodriguez, you can call him a rod Monday.
Speaker 5: And today we will take you right up until three p m.
Speaker 4: When KOA Sports will take over and do a deep dive on yesterday's Broncos win.
Speaker 2: It was a W, but it might be a lowercase W. Anthony. We'll get on that and just say no.
Speaker 4: Just saying a W'SW, not taking anything way, but in the grand scheme of things, that might have been a lowercase W for the Broncos. I'll tell you why I'm glad it happened right after we talk about what's in the blog and where to find it. Find the blog by going to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look for the headline that says nine to eight to twenty five blog and ugly win is a win. And let's talk about section eight. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 1: Are you doing with much in office?
Speaker 6: Half of America? All with ships and clipments?
Speaker 2: Say that's going to press plant today on the blog?
Speaker 4: And ugly win still counts? Section eight pays how much scrolling? Scrolling? The Feds want to know how much we are spending on illegal immigrant healthcare? Democrats are hemorrhaging voters. What words can you never spell right? If you live to teach the if you'd like to teach the trades, got a spelling era there? Denver City Council may give impounded cars new life another way dia Galge's customers. When the wicked witch is fighting for all of us? Colorado River Basin is under serious stress. Leaf papers, it's almost your time? Will this be the violent criminal that breaks the camel's back?
Speaker 2: Scrolling?
Speaker 4: Howard Stern punked the news we have our first millennial saint.
Speaker 5: Could this be a sign of what's to come in the midterms?
Speaker 2: Opeck.
Speaker 4: Once it's market share back, you can fight dementia. Why did that man give that ball to that horrible woman?
Speaker 2: News?
Speaker 4: Important to my daughter. McDonald's is starting a fast food price. Warn that dude who likes to fight women won't take a DNA test. We are beyond over, beyond meat. Why is this a thing? Scrolling smuggling La Boo Boo dolls is a thing now when rats find poison interpretive dance at a city council meeting. William Shatner's version of rocket Man is something, y'all. I don't hate this version of the anthem. This dude has built an entire town for his cats. Those are the headlines on the blog Andy's dot com. Yes, thank you, Nancy, We appreciate you. Nance. I'm gonna be sad when she's out of Congress completely because do we still get.
Speaker 2: To use that? Yeah, she's gone. What about you? Just did you just say that?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 4: But what I mean, seriously, she's been sidelined right now. I mean, she's she's no longer the powerhouse she once was, like a mascot. Now they've handed the reins over to Hakeem Jeffries, who's just basically dropped them on the ground and is just stepping on them. So yes, I am, I am here to do that, and I just talked to you right now. Christian Toto is gonna Happy, is gonna join us at two thirty, because right before the show started, I saw a column of his and I'm gonna add to the blog about what Howard Stern did this morning, and I want to We're gonna get to the Broncos game for just a moment. I know there are those of you in the audience who are like, this.
Speaker 2: Isn't a spots show.
Speaker 4: Why are you talking about spots Because during football season, there's no bigger story in Denver than the Broncos just the way it is.
Speaker 2: So this morning, Howard Stern.
Speaker 4: It's been widely reported, It's been all over the news. It's like, oh, we're going to get an update on September eighth from Howard Stern about his career y Serious Now, Howard Stern has had some wildly lucrative deals with Sirious since he jumped ship to leave to restaural Radio to go to satellite radio. And when he first came over it made a lot of sense for Serious because leaving terrestural Radio, he was really at the height of his popularity at that moment, and he brought a lot of subscribers with him a whole bunch.
Speaker 5: But now serious is seeing really.
Speaker 4: Big competition from Spotify, from iHeart, from other fleet free platforms that have podcasts on them. So people are now, why am I going to pay for that when I can get it for free kind of thing, even though they can't get Howard. There's just a lot more competition in the industry. So this morning I get up and the first headline I see, very first headline of the day I see, is this one. Howard Stern walks away from SiriusXM after two decades.
Speaker 2: Y'all right?
Speaker 4: Next to it, this headline, Howard Stern returns to Sirius XM radio show after trolling listeners. Let me fix that headline for you. Howard Stern returns to Sirius XM radio show after trolling the news media.
Speaker 5: Because that's what happened, because if you google.
Speaker 4: Howard Stern leaves Sirius XM, you will see dozens of news stories written by reporters who wanted to be first. And what Howard Stern did this morning, I gotta say, as an old radio pro myself, hats off Howard thing being although I would have known immediately that this was a gag, so he got.
Speaker 2: Andy Cohen of Bravo Fame to.
Speaker 4: Pretend that he was taking over Howard's show and Howard's timeslot, and Andy apparently did a great job talking about how the handoff should have been smoother, YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 5: But then Howard came on and was like mean or Nina, I'm still here.
Speaker 4: But Christian Toto is not buying, not buying what Howard Stern is selling, and he wrote a pretty scathing column about it. We'll talk to him this afternoon at two thirty. But I gotta tell you this is so on brand for Howard Stern, it's not even funny. But the reality is is that the radio that I started in back in nineteen ninety seven, right, That's how long I've been at this game. It's it's such a different industry now that it was before for many many people. And the big deals five hundred million dollars from series, There's no way Howard Stern got that kind of money. So my guess is he took a considerable pay cut. So we'll talk to a Christian about that at two thirty. But can we talk about yesterday's Broncos game? Yike's Anthony, Yikes.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Did they lose?
Speaker 5: Wait, no, they won, They got the W.
Speaker 4: But we have to talk about the obvious issues that the Broncos have, the main one being the offense.
Speaker 6: Before you a couple of teams for you. The Baltimore Ravens can't say Chiefs. Yeah, the Detroit Lions. Those are some really good teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that good teams didn't lose yesterday and that the Broncos won. The Broncos did win, But here's why I'm glad it happened like it did. The offense was to say, anemic is downplaying what the word anemic is all about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, terrible. Yeah, but the defense was just lights out.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 4: The defense is so good, so good they will be okay, we've at least got that in our camp. We only have to fix one thing, and that's the offense. They will be the best defense in the I think so too. But that being said, I'm glad yesterday happened like it happened for two reasons. Number one, and I just said this to our boss, Brenda Egger. I was like, Brenda, it almost looked to me like Bonnicks has been believing his own press hundred percent, and he got humbled yesterday in a big way.
Speaker 6: I was in a rare camp during camp when we were hearing from Sean Payton, a lot of the players, a lot of the media about.
Speaker 2: This being a Super Bowl contender. I thought it'd be premature. I did. I still do.
Speaker 6: You look at the teams last night they played Ravens and Bills. The Broncos offense has a lot of ground to make up. Having said that, yeah, if they were playing you know, twenty seven other teams, they probably lose. They were grateful to be playing the Tennessee Titans yesterday. But at the same time, Bonnicks said yesterday that he can dial he had good vision on those interceptions. He was aggressive because he believed that he essentially that he could and that he knows he can dial it back a bit because he doesn't want to put the defense in bad spots.
Speaker 2: So it's not like it was, oh my gosh, he has no idea what he's doing.
Speaker 6: He's throwing up you know, I know, I know others are saying that he that you know, oh my gosh, you look terrible.
Speaker 2: Division is bad. He was aggressive. He was just aggressive.
Speaker 4: It was the perfect thing that could have happened for two reasons. Number one, we still got the win, right, we still got the win.
Speaker 2: We walked out. We're one to zero.
Speaker 4: That's fantastic. But it happened early in the season. So the reality check, because that's what that was yesterday, that was a reality check, gives the offense opportunities to drill down on the things that they did very badly yesterday and fix those issues. If it happened at the end of the season and the playoffs, whatever, that would be terrible. This is the best case scenario to have a sobering, gut check game very beginning of the season, still get the win, be able to see that your defense is going to be able to pick you up through your mistakes, which were significant yesterday. I thought overall it was a best case scenario for an offense that just isn't where it needs to be.
Speaker 6: Nine out of ten times you lose when you turn the ball over five yes, four yeah time.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You a were able to to correct off of a win is always one of the best things.
Speaker 6: Yep. And now you're going to go to Indy with a colts team that looked pretty dang good yes day with Daniel Jones against that really bad Miami Dolphins team.
Speaker 2: But you won the game. That's why I can't watch The Dolphins are just so bad. By the way. The worst thing you happen to see that Florida.
Speaker 4: State won again on Saturday, Anthony, they played a Bob's Barber College. Yeah no, actually, what did you talk about this? So they played East Texas A and M University, which I didn't even know was a university. Okay, after scheduling Alabama first, they're like, oh, we'll take it easy. The second week score was seventy to three. Okay, seventy points to zero in the fourth quarter. But I want to the reason I want to even bring this up, and it kind of goes a little bit to yesterday's game. Back in the day, back in the late seventies, when Bobby Bowden took over the Florida State program, he said the first thing he did when he took over the team was called every major powerhouse in the area, every powerhouse school, and say, look, we want to play you guys, come to a home and home at your place if we need to. But the only way to get better is by playing people that are a lot better than you are. Right, So the first few years were an absolute disaster for Florida State when he took over, but they kept getting better, kept getting better, kept getting bigger. And at the beginning, he said, every time before, we were about to go play a team that was so much better than we were. So we were outmanned, we were out matched, we were out spent on facilities and everything else. But we had to go play these games. I would say to my players, you are probably not going to get a victory this week, but you go out and you play as hard as you can, and you are going to be a better football player by the end of it. Right, Just playing the game against someone that is far superior to you makes you a better player. East Texas A and M University walk down on that field on Saturday, and this is how.
Speaker 2: The team looked.
Speaker 4: Well, we're here to cash a check and get our butts kicked. They were flat, there was no energy, they had nothing going for them, and that is.
Speaker 2: The coach's fault.
Speaker 6: Well, and that right there is why, even though I said I didn't believe all the building up of the hype of being a superral contender in training camp. We here for the Broncos doesn't mean I disagree with saying it, because if you set the bar, we want to we want to maybe make it to the second round this year. Well, if you get to the second round, what are you going to do after that? Set the bar high? If you don't mean it, you got a bar continue to want to get to. But the Broncos should absolutely be thinking they're a super Bowl contending team because if the offense gets to a competent level, yep, and they play with that defense, they are a Superble content.
Speaker 4: I just want to point out to everybody in this listing audience, Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring. He has a ring as a mediocre barely got it done quarterback because his defense in Baltimore was unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Mandy will make it more local. Twenty fifteen, Peyton Manning has a Super Bowl ring. Correct because of that defense. Yep, Peyton was not good that year.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 6: If the Broncos offense can be competent, even in today's NFL with offenses like we saw last night in Baltimore and Buffalo, if the Broncos offense get competent, that is how good this defense is going to be one of the best teamers can be seen in a long time. Yeah, so they've got some work to do, but they don't have to be tops in the NFL. They just have to be competent and not have four turnovers.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's exactly my point. Work to do.
Speaker 4: But that's okay, perfect, perfect way you got to win. But you know exactly what's wrong.
Speaker 6: And a lot of good teams have a lot of work to do. That are really good teams that are on one today.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you, I was I was looking at the scores last night. Very few offenses look like they were doing anything. I mean we had a lot of like sixteen, thirteen, twelve, nine, I mean we had a lot of low scoring games yesterday.
Speaker 6: Week one in the NFL is notoriously weird. You just want to win the game at the end of the day. The bottom line after Week one, if the offense looks like this in week nine, we're having a different conversation week one.
Speaker 2: Mind you, the preseason has one last game.
Speaker 6: Now, it's still kind of preseason mode, especially for an office that didn't get a lot of run.
Speaker 4: Let's be patient, yep, there you go. So that's our Broncos talk. It's over now for the three of you that are complaining on the text line already, I realize you guys, what is football?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 4: Irrelevant? It's our national pastime now it is? Anyway, Oh is this a sports show?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: What a rod?
Speaker 5: We're gonna do three hours of sports right now just because this guy.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 9: We can.
Speaker 5: I can, but I don't want to. I did sports radio for three years.
Speaker 2: That was enough.
Speaker 4: It's so repetitive, just the same conversations to just insert different names or whatever. The guys in the afternoon make it far more interesting than I think it should be if you ask me.
Speaker 2: Honestly.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I got a lot of stuff on the blog today. I do have a couple of things. Today's one of those shows. As a matter of fact, I thought about doing this the other day and I just remembered it right now. For those of you have already read the blog, what story would you like me to talk about next? You can text us at five six six nine. Now what interests you? What caught your eye as you read the blog. If you haven't read the blog, you're about to have a few minutes here at the bottom of the hour when you can peruse the blog and decide what stories you.
Speaker 2: Want me to talk about.
Speaker 4: I think I should reward the people, and they are there's a lot of people who read the blog every day.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure I have people who read the blog who do not listen to the show.
Speaker 4: I'm almost positive I do, because I have people who comment on Facebook and Twitter that clearly don't listen to the show because of the commentary that they're making, or if they listen, they're not paying attention, right. But I figure I should reward you blog readers by asking your opinion, what story should we talk about in the next segment five six six nine, Oh, you can text us on the Common Spirit health text line Mandy, did you not watch Bill Bill's Eagles?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 4: No, Bill's were Ravens. The Bill's and Ravens game Bill's Ravens. I did not watch the end of it.
Speaker 2: One of the best games I've seen a long time.
Speaker 4: I fell asleep really early last night, at like eight point thirty in my chair.
Speaker 2: I was just done. I was like, I'm out. I know, I'm old.
Speaker 5: I used to ask my dad years.
Speaker 4: Ago I'd be like, Dad, why how do you fall asleep? In my dad would fall asleep in his chair in the middle of a sentence during a conversation.
Speaker 5: He was just kinda drift off, and I was like, Dad, how.
Speaker 2: It's not even possible. How do you even do that? Guess who does it? Now?
Speaker 5: And it goes like this, be a little tired, sit in a comfortable chair, fall asleep.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much hit.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I've already got somebody weighing in at five six six, and I know about what we're going to talk about next.
Speaker 5: But you're gonna have to wait and see what it is.
Speaker 4: Right after this, I do want to respond to this Texter or Mandy Bob's barber College, and the BBC mascot.
Speaker 5: Is of course they're the Clippers.
Speaker 1: Duh.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows that. Anyway.
Speaker 4: In the next segment, by popular demand, I've got two stories that I would have talked about, but now I can't get to the blog, but I remember them, although one of them, Oh, here we go, it's back up, it's back up. So I want to talk for a moment about Section eight housing. Section eight Housing is a program that initially was designed to assist people with their rent and give them a lower housing costs to prevent them from being homeless. And I think that's an admirable goal. The program's been around for a very long time and has been a part of the social safety net for a very long time. Well, a couple of things were happening with Section eight housing, and one of them comes directly from the the HUD Secretary. HUD is Housing and Urban Development. Scott Turner is a former NFL player and I'm going to be the first to admit he was one of the appointments by Donald Trump that I was like, what I didn't I just didn't understand it. But I got to tell you after hearing this exchange, I am all for Scott Turner as HUD secretary. And here he is talking about Section eight housing and overall welfare benefits overall.
Speaker 5: Can I have my audio? Are I give him my computer?
Speaker 2: Listen to this?
Speaker 9: Send in all these club programs that you know, this is really the only avenue they have mom to get house.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the proposed time limits?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And what is her question?
Speaker 9: Just if there's any concern about whether you're, you know, to be pushing out families.
Speaker 7: That you've noticed, no concern at all. Government subsidies were never meant to be a lifestyle. Have you ever met somebody to live in government housing?
Speaker 4: I'm going to stop it there because I want you to hear how long this pause is by the reporter after he says, if you ever met anybody who's lives in government housing?
Speaker 5: So we just asked a questions. Listen to how long the pause is.
Speaker 2: Personally, I have enough.
Speaker 7: I meant hundreds of people around their country. Government subsidies were never meant to be a hammock. They're meant to be a trampoline. We're always going to have people in our nation that need help, and.
Speaker 2: We understand that from the heart of hood. We understand it.
Speaker 7: We'll have these people. I met a young lady in a certain city in our country that's been living in a certain housing project, which was deplorable. She's fifty two years old. She's been living there since nineteen fifty three. Excuse me, she's fifty two years old. She's been living there since nineteen seventy three. She's able body, able minded, she was raised there, she lived there, now, she's raising her children there.
Speaker 2: There's three generations living in government subsidies.
Speaker 7: That are able body, able minded. That's not the way that our government and our country is supposed to be. And so when you talk about time limits, time limits are kind of an encouragement.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, you can do this.
Speaker 7: No, remember, we're talking about able body, able minded people, not seniors, not to disable, people who are able to work, people who have the ability to work, people who have the mental acuity to work and look for work.
Speaker 8: Right when you.
Speaker 7: Change the trajectory of someone's future by saying you know what, we're not just telling you the work.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have workforce training around you.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have skill training around you to get out of government subsidies to live a life of self sustainability.
Speaker 2: This is not.
Speaker 7: Democrat, it's not republican. Poverty has no party. You understand, Poverty is not red, it's not blue, it's not black, it's not white. It impacts everyone directly. So my heart, the President's heart center, the crapos heart, is this, how do we help ablebody people change the conversation?
Speaker 2: I say, you know what you can do it?
Speaker 7: This is not political, this is you know what you can So we're gonna put time limps on here and help you to traject out of poverty, out of government subsidy, to a life of self sustability.
Speaker 5: That's the heart behind this going.
Speaker 7: Research bill Clintons Bill nineteen ninety six, when they did.
Speaker 8: Real well for a reform, I was just gonna bring mine of that.
Speaker 2: You don't remember, you too young, So I'm going to research that.
Speaker 5: That is HUD Secretary Scott Turner. So why am I playing that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Center Square just did a big report on Section eight in Colorado. Now, I am a person who says, I believe that Section eight housing is an important thing, but I agree with the HUD secretary it should be a temporary measure. I personally know people who have lived in hut housing temporarily for some three four years before they were able to get their feet on them and get under them and get back out on their own. But it is, it should be a temporary proposition. And the Center Square did some looking into what Section eight housing vouchers would buy you.
Speaker 5: Here in Colorado.
Speaker 4: Now, in Colorado, the program pays up to thirty eight hundred and seventy nine dollars for a four bedroom home. Listen to this in the eight zero nine two four zip code, which includes Wolf Ranch. There are twenty eight homes with four or more bedrooms for rent, ranging from two thousand, ninety nine per month to four thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars per month, all but three of which are below the three thousand, eight hundred and seventy nine dollars per month limit. The median rent is three thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars per month, and one example A three thousand, two hundred fifty dollar a month home is a five bedroom, four bathroom, three thousand, seven hundred and ninety square foot home including a home theater, bar, a large fenced in yard, and a three car garage. Y'all, I don't have a home theater a rod. Do you have a home theater in your house?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Her parents do. Well, I'm not asking about your parents.
Speaker 4: No, I don't either, And yet you're telling me that people who have Section eight housing can get that.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't want people to live in slums, right, I want people. I want people to live in housing that is clean and safe and tidy. I was watching one of the shows that I watched on HTTV and Ben and Aaron from hometown were helping this woman renovate a home that she was going to use to shelter women who were coming out of abusive relationships and allow them to get back on their feet. It was it was going to be a group housing situation. But they were standing in the kitchen and Aaron and Ben were talking about what they were going to do in the kitchen, and Aaron said, well, what kind of countertipme do you want to hear? And the lady said, I want lambin It countertops. Now, lamin It is pretty much the cheapest kind of countertop that you can buy. I think they actually went with butcher block, which is also very affordable but looks nicer.
Speaker 2: But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 4: So she said, no, I want I want cheap countertops because I don't want this house to be so nice that when they step out to actually do something that they can afford, it is a step down. And I thought that was very interesting. She said, I want all steps to feel like there is a step up. So instead of having you know, granted countertops and all of that stuff, they had a very clean, very nice, very neatly decorated house that was done with materials that were lower end, So when those women moved out of that house, they would be feeling like they were stepping up and not stepping down.
Speaker 5: One of the issues.
Speaker 4: And this is again from personal experience, not me personally, but with people that I know and care about that I know very very well. Getting out of the system once you're in the system can sometimes be almost as challenging as getting in the system. I had one friend who was in Section eight housing after her divorce. She had a lot of kids and her husband was not a nice person, and she decided to leave and she ended up in Section eight housing. And in her two and a half years in Section eight housing, she went managed to go back to school, get her degree in nursing, and then got a really good job in nursing. Right, so her fortunes changed dramatically in two and a half years.
Speaker 5: It took forever to get her name off the rolls, and.
Speaker 4: In doing so, while she was still on the rolls and then now had a really good job, she's getting all these notices that essentially she's defrauding the government when she was clear she had all the documentations.
Speaker 2: She's like, I've set you.
Speaker 4: Guys all these letters to take me out of the system because now I'm making you know, a decent living or whatever, and it was a nightmare for her. The system is fundamental broken in so many ways. It's broken in that to the secretary's point, there are people that have made living on the government dole a lifestyle choice, and that's wrong if they are able bodied, enable minded. And I love the way you kept coming back to that. We're not talking about displacing the elderly or the people that are physically or mentally unable to care for themselves in a significant way. He's talking about people that the only thing holding them back is themselves. And this whole exchange with the HUD secretary, for me, clearly delineates the difference between the ways people on the left look at people in poverty and the way people on the right look at people in poverty. People on the left look at people in poverty and say.
Speaker 5: Oh, no, they're poor. We have to do something to help them.
Speaker 2: What can we do.
Speaker 4: We can give them housing, Great, we've solved that problem. We've checked that box. Their life is better off now because of it. But that's where it stops, right, it doesn't you don't stop to say, what are we doing to their sense of responsibility, to their sense of self worth when we don't allow people to pay their own way in any way shape or form. People on the right see able minded, able bodied people and say there's potential, and all we have to do is help them tap into their own potential so they no longer need our assistance going forward, and in a perfect world, they will become tax paying citizens whose tax dollars will go to help other people that started out where they did. And I think that's a pretty big fundamental difference. I hope you heard the audio that I played from HUTS Secretary Scott Turner about requiring able bodied, able minded people to have a time limit on how much time they spend in Section eight housing, and I.
Speaker 2: Agree with that.
Speaker 4: I actually think, like if I could wave a magic wand right now, and I've thought about this for honestly for two decades now, welfare reform is not just about telling people they can't have access to welfare anymore.
Speaker 2: It's just not going to work. It's not going to be effective.
Speaker 4: But the big problem with welfare as it is right now, including Section eight housing, is that if you all of a sudden go out and you start making too much money, they're going.
Speaker 5: To take away your welfare benefits.
Speaker 4: And often what happens is and I'm going to use an example that's a real life example. So I know a young woman who at the time was a team worker, a team member at McDonald's. She had gotten a part time job when her kids went to school so she could be there for her kids and everything.
Speaker 5: It was, you know, she's in the welfare program.
Speaker 4: I interviewed this young woman, and I interviewed her in two thousand and seven, maybe in Florida. So she's a team member, and her manager at the McDonald saw something in her and said, you know, I think if you really wanted to have a career with McDonald's, you can do a really great job. And I'd like to make you an assistant manager. And that assistant manager job came with a very modest raise.
Speaker 2: But that modest raise was.
Speaker 4: Enough to knock her off of her food benefits, the snap benefits, so she relied on to pay for her children. Because it is an all or nothing situation, right, you either get welfare benefits or you don't. If we could institute a step down program for welfare benefits, like oh, you got to raise it work. We're gonna reduce those snap benefits by X amount of dollars, but not the whole thing, because what ends up happening is now you've trapped this woman who her manager at McDonald's has said, you have potential, and if you want to make a career in McDonald's, you can do it.
Speaker 5: And by the way, McDonald's has some of.
Speaker 4: The best workforce development opportunities of any franchise operation. I know more than one person who started out as an employee at McDonald's and ended up owning at McDonald's. Right, so don't laugh at McDonald's. But she had been kind of targeted and said, look, you have potentially you can do this job. Only because of her financial situation with her welfare benefits and the modest rays to assistant manager, she couldn't do it, and that prevents from becoming a manager, It prevents her from becoming a regional manager, It prevents her from becoming a store owner because she couldn't make that one jump. What we have to do is allow people to step down their benefits, and until we can figure out how to do that in a reasonable fashion, we are trapping people on welfare we are trapping people in section eight housing. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people in Section eight housing. You plan on making it a lifestyle because once you get the same thing as rent control in New York, the people that are in rent control departments for five hundred bucks, that's they're perfectly fine with that. At least that's private property being hit instead of the government. We need to overhaul the same thing, but starting with time limits. I'm here for it and recognizing what these benefits do and the fact that and I went and looked at this quote. I love this quote from Ben Franklin, and I think it fits perfectly here. Ben Franklin once said, I am for doing good for the poor, but I think the best way of doing good to the poor is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves and became richer.
Speaker 5: Then Franklin knew it way back then. We should all know it now.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Dona.
Speaker 1: Ka ninetem got.
Speaker 2: The nicey got through three? Andy Connell keep no sad bab.
Speaker 4: Welcome Local, Welcome to the second hour of the show.
Speaker 5: I'm your host, Mandy Connall.
Speaker 4: That guy over there decked out in his Broncos orange is Anthony Rodriguez. And together we'll take you right up until three pm when we hand the show over to the sports station. We already did our sports for the day, so if you missed the beginning of the show, you're gonna have to go back and lit listen to the podcast, which will be available right after the show on the Crystal Clear iHeartRadio app. Now, this is apropos of nothing, but I do want to kind of throw this out here. The ten year Treasury note just dropped to just barely over four percent. Why am I telling you this because with the ten year Treasury note drops interest rates on mortgages.
Speaker 5: That is the number that mortgages are paid to.
Speaker 4: And I just looked there are mortgage rates for the thirty year mortgage at the five point nine percent rate. Now, I don't know what you're going to qualify for I really don't. But if you've been sitting on the sidelines waiting to buy a house, I am telling you right now, if you wait too long, if you wait for mortgage rates to go any any lower, you're going to be part of the feeding frenzy in the market. Because there's a lot of people on the sidelines who are like, look, six percent is just too much for me to pay. But as soon as those mortgage rates go below six then all bets are off. Feeding frenzy in the housing market. It's going to be crazy because we have the houses to sell right now. So if I were you, if I was buying a house right now, or even if I was considering doing you know, a cash out refire or something like that, I would call today to lock in this mortgage rate. I would just call American Financing right now. This is not a commercial for American Financing. You guys know I love real estate. You know I pay attention to this stuff just as a hobby, and I do. But when I saw that Treasury rate, I'm like, I bet mortgage rates are below six percent. So if you've been waiting, call today, lock in the rate.
Speaker 9: Just do it.
Speaker 2: Do it anyway. I've got to talk.
Speaker 5: About a story that is so disturbing on multiple levels, and.
Speaker 4: It's the story of a young Ukrainian refugee, twenty three years old, Arena Zarutska. This happened in Charlotte, North Carolina. Zarutska was leaving work and got on the Charlotte light rail train and sat down and was looking at her phone, not doing anything, minding her own business. And the video that is making the rounds now shows her sitting down in front of an African American man in a hoodie who is directly behind her. And you can watch this man very casually take something out of his pocket. You realize it's like a pocket knife or whatever, and he opens up the blade and then he stands up and he stabs this woman three times, once in the throat. She is dead now, twenty three year old woman, completely and utterly unprovoked attack.
Speaker 2: That is all on video.
Speaker 4: If you're the sort he wants to see the whole thing, that video is out there as well.
Speaker 2: I did not embed it.
Speaker 4: I'm not publishing it. It's just not something I'm going to share. Hey, Rud, when you're on X, do you have I feel like now, and I don't follow any of these people, right, But people that I do follow are retweeting videos of people getting killed or getting hit by a train or whatever. I don't want to see that in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh I immediately unfollow. I did too. I don't want to see and.
Speaker 4: I'm just but I'm not following the people in the original video. I'm following people and then they're retweeting it.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 6: If you are a part of Broncos Country and you are a horn dog, please stop.
Speaker 2: Oh god?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there's a lot of a lot of a lot of guys in Broncos Country. I don't feel the need to not just enjoy themselves, but to repurpose it for all the thing.
Speaker 4: Like whatever you want to follow in your own account, I don't care. Like if you want to watch us, if that's fine. But when other people are following you because of other content that you've created, whether it's you know, there's one guy that I love who does this beautiful nature photography, or he's stealing beautiful nature photography from someone else, and all of a sudden, it's like all these death videos, which is why I now believe he was stealing all those photos from other people, right, this.
Speaker 5: Guy has no original ideas.
Speaker 2: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to see it. I didn't embed it on the blog. It's horrible. It's out there though. Here's the problem with his story. The first level number one, level number one when people started pointing out that this story happened in that thirty four year old de Carlos Brown, who has now been charged with first degree murder, had a long criminal history, including armed robbery, felony, larcenae, breaking and entering. He recently had an arrest and was charged with the misuse of nine to one one.
Speaker 5: What happened.
Speaker 4: He allegedly asked officers to investigate a man made material that controlled when he ate walked and talked.
Speaker 2: Officers told Brown.
Speaker 4: The issue was a medical issue and there was nothing more they could do. He became upset and called nine to one one. Obviously, this guy is extremely mentally ill, but yet he was walking around the streets of Charlotte, North Carolina, just like we've had people here in Denver, Colorado, walking around the streets of the Sixteenth Street Mall, and it was still the sixteenth Street Mall, stabbing a flight attendant to death in the middle of the day. What's frustrating for me is that this story of a black man killing a young white Ukrainian refugee has been absolutely buried, and when asked about it, news media outlets all over the country are saying things like, well, it's a local story. So was the death of Michael Brown, so was the death of George Floyd. One hundred percent local stories, but they certainly made national news.
Speaker 5: But the problem here is that this gentleman is black, so.
Speaker 4: Therefore we don't get the same kind of coverage of this horrific crime that is on video.
Speaker 2: Oh you guys, the mayor.
Speaker 4: Of Charlotte, North Carolina, who by the way, has always presented herself as a social justice warrior at every opportunity, first of all, posted something on Twitter that was so weak it was mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 5: This is a first statement.
Speaker 4: The video of the heartbreaking attack that took Arena Zarutzki's life is now public. I want to thank our media partners and community members who have chosen not to repost or share the footage out of respect for Arena's family. This was a senseless and tragic loss. My prayers remain with her loved ones as they continue to grieve through an unimaginable time. Like so many of you, I'm heartbroken, and I've been thinking hard about what safety really looks like in our city. I remain committed to doing all we can to protect our residents and ensure Charlotte is a place where everyone feels safe. Is that just the most garbage nonsense statement you have ever heard?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: It gets better, It gets better. And I don't know when this statement came out. I think it probably came out after the statement that she made on X. And in this statement about this one line mentions the fact that a young woman is dead, and it's this one first and foremost, my thoughts and prayers go out to the young woman's family and friends.
Speaker 2: Didn't even use her name.
Speaker 5: And then she goes on.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 5: Then she goes on to talk about how.
Speaker 4: For the most part, Charlotte is a safe city, the light rail is a safe transit system. I bet Arena doesn't feel safe today. She also says this, this is a tragic situation that sheds light on problems with society safety nets related to mental health care and the systems that should be in place as we come to understand what happened and why we must look at the entire situation. While I do not know the specifics of the man's medical record, would have come to understand is that he has long struggled with mental health and appears to have suffered a crisis. This was the unfortunate and tragic outcome. While there are questions about the safety and security of our transit system and our city, I do know there have been significant and sustained efforts to address safety and security within our transit system and.
Speaker 2: Across our city.
Speaker 4: Then she goes on after she talks about how safe Charlotte is to say this, I want to be clear that I am not villainizing those who struggle with their mental health or those who are unhoused. Mental health disease is just that, a disease like any other, that needs to be treated with the same compassion, diligence, and commitment as cancer or heart disease. Our community must work to address the underlying issue of access to mental health care. So, just so you understand what she wants you to do. She wants you to ignore the fact that someone randomly got stabbed on the neck on light rail. She wants you to make sure that you don't stigmatize the man who decided, in a fit of whatever to stab a young woman in the.
Speaker 5: Neck for no reason. This is the most backwards logic.
Speaker 2: Of all time.
Speaker 5: And don't get me wrong, you guys.
Speaker 4: I think we've talked about mental health on this show enough so that you guys know I not only have a lot of familial experience with mental health. I am one of those people that, even as a libertarian, am advocating for forced confinement for someone who has demonstrated that they are mentally ill and potentially violent. That doesn't mean forced confinement for people who are mentally ill and are trying to deal with those issues in a way that doesn't negatively impact.
Speaker 5: Strangers on the street.
Speaker 4: Lots of people have mental illness, even severe mental illness, and they never demonstrate the capability of violence.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let's be clear about that. But there are mentally.
Speaker 4: Ill people like this man who are so detached from reality that they cannot be trusted in society because doing so puts others at risk. These are people who are so mentally ill that they are incapable of making decisions for themselves. The same way that we protect children from bad decision making by not allowing them to sign contracts or be held liable for such contracts. We have to recognize that there are people who are so significantly mentally ill that they cannot make reasonable, rational decisions on their own behalf, and of that percentage of people, there are a number of people who have proven themselves to be violent and dangerous, and we should be okay removing those people from society until they show that they have sufficiently recovered from that mental illness that they no longer pose a danger to themselves or someone else, or maybe never. There are people who are never going to get better. There are people who are always going to remain a threat, and we have to figure something out. But just sitting here and talking about it, don't be mad at the homeless people. Don't be mad at the mentally ill. I'm not mad at any of those people. I'm mad that this man who has a violent criminal history was let out on the streets to murder this young woman. Talk about a death that did not need to happen. And this is the same stuff that's happening in Denver, you guys, this is the same exact stuff we have These crazy people. Now, don't get me wrong, we have a lot of crazy people walking around downtown Denver. If you have a driven and seen them so whacked out on drugs or just insanity that they're just wandering around. If they're wandering around, some of them are just bent in half, standing there, bent in half. But you see those people that are wandering around, they're yelling at each other, yelling at themselves, wandering around in the middle of an intersection, dressed in a blanket.
Speaker 2: That happened to me.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wasn't wandering around the street and dressed in a blanket. I'm just saying we've seen the crazy people. Not all those people are dangerous, but we need to take the danger one's out of circulation until such time as they can be trusted to be let out in society again. And this should not be a controversial issue. But watching people. By the way, there's a go fund me.
Speaker 2: For this man.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, someone started to go fund me for him so that we could fight against.
Speaker 5: The racism of the system.
Speaker 2: Now, this man.
Speaker 4: Is on video stabbing a woman to death on a train, and yet there are people in our society that think the problem is racism. Now, I would doubt I'm just gonna say it, I doubt that that any of this money will ever go to this guy. Seems to me like a grift by someone who decided to put up a GoFundMe for idiots to donate to.
Speaker 5: I forgot to look and see. Hang on to Carlos Brown go fund me.
Speaker 2: Let me see if it's.
Speaker 4: Still up, because I looked at it early. Oh go, and he took it down. Thank you, Thank you, Go fund me, Thank you. But I'm wondering how.
Speaker 5: Much was actually collected.
Speaker 2: By that, so yeah.
Speaker 4: Go fund Me, by the way, has also set up a page for Arena Zurutska's family, and that's raised about one hundred thousand dollars right now, So I mean that's good. Although I if I'm a parent or a sister or whatever, I don't want money. I want my family member back, you know. Anyway, I'm trying to see how much money has been raised for her, and I can't get to that point. So we'll see ninety thousand dollars raised of a one hundred and ten thousand dollar coal This is another example of the wave of criminal justice reform that happened in this country. That all it did was make it easier for people to commit crimes and get away with it. What's really funny about this Axios. Listen to the headline on Axios about this dabbing video fuels Maga's crime message, as if somehow this one event was what engineered by you know, Maga, people who are actually concerned about crime, as if to make the point even stronger. Yeah, it makes Maga's point. But it makes Maga's point because a young woman is senselessly attacked and murdered on video. Right, if you're concerned about about a violent crime, this sort of does. It is the giant punctuation mark on this. You know, I read something yesterday and I could not find it today because honestly, I couldn't remember where I read it or I wrote it. But it was an interesting take, and the take was that Donald Trump has proven to be masterful at putting Democrats on the twenty side of an eighty twenty issue, and crime is now one of those. You know, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, I have to give it to her. She recognized an opportunity and she has taken it. She actually was talking day before yesterday about the fact that carjackings in d C, which by the way, were happening at like two and a half carjackings per day, and that was down dramatically. Carjackings have ceased to exist in Washington, DC because they've got all these federal forces there. They've they freed up law enforcement officers to go and actually arrest the bad criminals.
Speaker 5: And now all of a sudden, there's no crime. And yet when Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Says two democratic mayors, democratic democratic governors, hey, guys, if you need it, we can bring the National Guard in, the Democrats are like, Nope, crime is just fine, especially in Charlotte where a young lady just got stabbed in the neck.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 4: But Axios, listen to this from Axios. This made me kind of laugh out loud today. I'm not exaggerating. Mad influencers on repeated attention to violent attacks to elevate the issue of urban crime, and accused mainstream media of undercovering shocking cases. By the way, the mainstream media has not covered this story at all. As I said before, They're like, oh, local story, we don't care, and then they go on driving the news. President Trump asked about the Charlotte video by reporter on Sunday said he wanted to find out more about the stabbing before commenting. Now, that sentence right there completely undermines everything that actually US is trying to say that somehow Republicans have seized on this crime. Isn't that what they're implying here? But Trump didn't take the baby's like, look, you know what, I don't know all the details. All know everything by tomorrow. So yeah, yeah, this is going to be a thing that people are talking about because why is this okay at any level, on any any any way or shape or form. Why wouldn't JB. Pritsker say, you know what, we'd love to get yet, we'd love to get the National Guard to come into the dangerous areas of Chicago, not just the tourist zones, but the dangerous areas to protect the people that are victimized by crimes every single day. My big beef with what's going on in Washington, DC is apparently it's only in the tourist areas, It's not in the highest crime parts of Washington, d C. Don't the people that live there deserve to feel safe too, not just tourists. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're doing it for the tourists. But I wouldn't it be great if the Democrats said, yeah, we'd like to send you into the highest crime areas in Chicago and help us really do some significant work.
Speaker 2: But they don't. They stand there and save crimes. Not that bad.
Speaker 4: It's not that it's in a thirty year low. People are still gett murdered every day. Ah, those are acceptable statistics. And in Chicago, overwhelmingly everybody being killed is black. Ah, They're just black people being killed.
Speaker 2: Not that big of ill. We'll accept a few of those.
Speaker 4: And it's getting a horder and harder for them to make that argument, because when you see video of this young woman being stabbed by a career criminal who's also wildly mentally ill, should not have been on the streets, it gets hard to ask, why aren't we taking the National Guard? Why aren't we doing these things? And you know, we'll see how all this turns out. I don't think, by the way, just to be clear, I do not believe that the President of the United States has the authority to send the National Guard into anywhere else for any kind of law enforcement duties except for Washington, DC. He can totally do it if governors ask. But if he just sends them in to not support federal operations, which he did in LA, then he has no right to do that. But I don't think he's doing that yet. Fascinating and terrible story all at once.
Speaker 6: Tonight Rockies Dodgers on the official home of the Rockies.
Speaker 4: This next text intrigues me. Uh, Mandy, ask me anything Monday. Technically, it's not asked me anything Monday because I didn't declare it, but I will allow it because I'm intrigued by this text. Mandy, neighbor moved into assisted living, has an upright piano. Do you know anyone that we can donate it to school that has music classes student that could use it?
Speaker 2: Any suggestions? Love your show? Thanks now, Texter.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you to email me Mandy Connell at iHeartMedia dot com. And then if you want an upright piano, I will tell you whoever you are to text me Mandy Connell at iHeartMedia dot com.
Speaker 2: Uh, do you want a piano?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I have a question.
Speaker 6: Well, obviously I recognize what these are, but why is it called an upright piano?
Speaker 2: It's just yeah?
Speaker 5: Instead of going out like a grand piano.
Speaker 4: It just is one of those that looks like you know how you see in a Western movie they're always plinking on a piano. Yeah, that's an upright piano. The strings and keys are in the in the back right now. Yeah, that's very very common. As a matter of fact, I would venture I guess that most in home pianos are upright pianos. Yes, because the strings and the keys are like this instead of like that got you. You guys couldn't see. I held my arms up.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was just for me. I get it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what color is it? Look at you being picky with a free piano?
Speaker 2: Oh I'm not. I don't want colors. Hopefully they'll email me and I'll have more information. So there you go.
Speaker 4: This is really interesting and this just came across my desk, so I'm going to jump in here. This from the Denver Post about a Magellan Strategies poll.
Speaker 2: It's it's not that good.
Speaker 4: Colorado voters are sort of over politics, and this is actually worse for the Democrats right now than the Republicans. It really didn't farewell. US Senators Michael Bennett, Johnick, and Looper They each notched approval ratings below forty percent in the poll, with their disapproval ratings reaching forty four and forty nine percent, respectively, forty four for Bennett, forty nine for hiccken Looper gared polis approval later rating was slightly better at forty one percent, but a majority of the voters fifty two percent outright disapproved of the term limited governor. Not good news for a guy with presidential aspirations. Republican and Democratic parties had identical top line favorabilities sixty eight percent negative versus thirty percent positive, and it's just not looking good by more than two to one margins. Colorado voters survey didn't feel good about the Democratic Party. The disdain was shared by many Democratic voters. Among those who voted for Kamala Harris for president last year, forty seven percent reported unfavorable opinions of registered Democrats. Forty one percent reported unfavorable opinions of their party. An anonymous Democratic woman in a Rapahoe County characterized it inner survey response, the party has quote no backbone, no follow through, poor or no response to both mundane and gripping issues, but don't think this is going to be a smooth sailing for.
Speaker 2: The GOP because the GOP. Let's see here.
Speaker 4: Loop unaffiliated voters feel the same about the GOP. Now I'm trying to read. I'm reading a Denver Post article. I haven't been able to click through to the actual polling data.
Speaker 2: So if congressional elections.
Speaker 4: Were held today, voters also give Democrats a clear advantage in four of the state's eight congressional districts, the ones currently represented by Democrats.
Speaker 5: Those are all safe seats.
Speaker 4: The smaller sample size at the district level, however, came with large margins of a more than eight percentage points. Okay, that just undermines everything about the poll. If your margin of error is eight percentage points, don't don't even include that. I just that's just basically like throw a dart at a dartboard kind of thing. The party also held a smaller edge for a fifth seat, and that was the red fifth congressional district in Alpazo County. Forty seven percent in voters said they would probably support the Democratic nominee there, versus thirty nine percent for the Republican nominee. Now, in twenty twenty four, Republican Jeff Crank won the seat with nearly fifty five percent of the vote.
Speaker 5: I don't understand how those numbers jibe.
Speaker 4: The eighth shows a small advantage for the GOP, it doesn't crack fifty percent. The fourth Congressional district looks to remain read with THEIRS leaning Republican by twenty points, so that neither.
Speaker 2: Party is in a good way.
Speaker 5: Neither party has has great numbers to grow about.
Speaker 4: But I think for Democrats this has to be kind of concerning because their democratic law in the state. Anything that sort of undermines that has got to be caused for concerned because right now they I mean, we just saw it again in the special session. They have paid no mind to anybody on the other side of the aisle because they haven't had to. They've been able to ignore Republicans. But now that even Democrats are saying, yeah, we're not happy. And don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any chance in hell that Democrats in Colorado will vote for a Republican. I just don't see it happening. But we are now a majority independent state. We are now over fifty percent of independence last I checked. So what are the independents going to do if the Democrats don't even like their party, what about what about the independence?
Speaker 2: Now we already know the Republican.
Speaker 4: Party has an image issue here that hopefully most people are going to be able to look beyond with new leadership.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to see.
Speaker 4: That's kind of I think that's concerning if you're a Democrat in Colorado. And good news, however, slight good news, but good news nonetheless for the Republican Party.
Speaker 5: Many of you weighing in on the upright piano.
Speaker 2: Laugh out loud.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to pay a piano company to come get my piano. No one wants these pianos, That's true. Kids are not taking music lessons like they used to.
Speaker 2: Mandy.
Speaker 4: My guess is that most in home pianos are spinets, which is a short version of the upright piano. You know what, maybe it's just the people I know, the people that I know that at pianos they all have uprights. I know one family with a spinet, which is just a low piano. Upright piano equals wild West grand piano equals recital piano.
Speaker 2: There you go, There you go, Manny.
Speaker 4: What's suppressing is that Democrat Party voters, particularly the base, want the Democrat to Party to be even bigger a holes.
Speaker 2: Don't kid yourself. Yes, you're absolutely right, Texter, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Although you saw in the last primary elections the worst of the worst of the Democratic Party in the form of Tim Hernandez and Elizabeth Epps. They lost in the primary, and they were as far left as anybody could be, right, and they lost Democratic vote. Well, maybe Democratic voters and independence didn't think about the independence There There are a large I don't know how large. I used to think it was larger than it is. The more Republicans that I meet in the state of Colorado, the more I realized that the Fringy part, the Rhino Watch part, they do not represent a large chunk of the Republican Party. A lot of the Republicans I've met as as late are just Republicans who want to hopefully save Colorado from being the nightmare that it has turned into with the cost of living and all of the other stuff that's gone on. But that loud and vocal Rhino Watch minority they want you to think they're everybody.
Speaker 5: They are clearly not everybody.
Speaker 2: Mandy.
Speaker 4: A lot of the independents are Republicans who don't want to be targeted by Dems, and a lot of independence are Dems.
Speaker 2: Who just don't want to be asked for money.
Speaker 4: I mean, independents have a lot of different reasons for being independent, not the least of which is they don't want everybody asking them for money. Mandy donates the piano to a local school. That is a great idea. Text or, if you're still listening, I would call all of the local schools in your area and just say, you guys need a piano. I wonder if any of them would take it. We'll see, We'll be right back. I thought i'd let the rest of you hear what I was going to say. The text messenger says Mandy, the cost of living increase isn't primarily political. It has to do with planes, supply and demand economics. We can go back and forth over government policy, but the main drivers of that are well off people and young people want to move here for recreation and job opportunities. You see similar cost of living spikes in nearby Utah, which is solidly Republican. Okay, this, on the face of it is patently absurd, and I'm gonna tell you why, because yes, supply and demand is a huge part of it. Absolutely, people want to live here. I moved here in twenty thirteen because I love the state and thought it was absolutely beautiful. But since I moved here in twenty thirteen, let's be real about some of the stuff that Colorado has done. And as a matter of fact, I just pulled up, using chet GPT a summary cost of living comparison for Utah and Colorado. Okay, Utah has seen huge increases in their homeowners insurance rates and things like that because of natural disasters, just as we have here. Their home insurance costs have spiked fifty nine percent. However, the rest of what's going on in Utah looks much different than what's going on here in Colorado. Now, if I were going to run for governor, one of the platforms in my plank would be as governor, i am going to demand a full review.
Speaker 5: Of every single new housing.
Speaker 4: Requirement that has been passed by the Colorado Legislature with an actual fiscal note of how much those regulations cost. And then I'm going to ask the legislature to go back and unwind the most costly, least effective regulations that we have on the books. We just saw this when people were trying to rebuild homes in Lewisville and Superior after the fire, only be told that they have to do everything electric, they have to do everything the way the government wants you to do it. The more government regulation you have, the more expensive everything is going to be.
Speaker 5: And Colorado has seen an explosion in.
Speaker 4: Our regulatory structure so severe that it has downgraded our business friendliness from one of the best places in the country to do business to now one of the most middling places. Right with the regulatory sure we have in Colorado adds to pricing on everything. We have the highest the highest restaurant inflation in the country. Now we're seeing more and more stories of really popular and famous restaurant tours saying I will never open another business in the Denver metro because it is so expensive and so hard to deal with them.
Speaker 5: All of these things combine.
Speaker 4: Whether it is the faster fees that we're going to fix all the roads which did nothing of the sort because they've redirected all that money into dumbass multimodal systems that nobody wants to ride, or force minimum wages that have driven up the cost of everything. Policy matters so much, and in a situation like ours, supply and demand is absolutely a part of it, absolutely a part of it. But I would argue that the government has made it far worse with all of their nanny stadium statism, all of their you have to do it our way or the highway.
Speaker 2: About a myriad of issues.
Speaker 4: You cannot disconnect what has happened in Colorado, especially politically, from what has happened to our economy. At the same time, just ten years ago, we had one of the most vibrant economies in the country. Businesses were clamoring to come here because of all those things you said.
Speaker 2: But now you have.
Speaker 4: Business leaders on a regular basis saying that the regulatory burden in Colorado is so great that I am not looking to expand my footprint in Colorado. I am looking elsewhere where it's easier to do business. Chef Troy Gard of the Tag Group, which owns so many properties here it's not even funny, has said he is done with Colorado.
Speaker 2: So all of this matters.
Speaker 4: It's not just supply and demand. And if you believe that, then you're probably going to vote Democrat. You've bought their line and without paying attention to anything else.
Speaker 5: And I don't mean to be.
Speaker 4: Dismissive or disparaging to you, Texter, because I think there's probably a lot of people who genuinely believe that, just like they believe Eve when politicians in Colorado say, wow, you know crime is a problem everywhere, not just here, until you see the FBI statistic that put us at number one for violent crime. Did you ever think those words would come out of my mouth? I sure didn't when I moved here thirteen years ago, and I used to tell people how safe it felt. So do not underestimate the impact that bad government policy has on our economy, on our safety, and on everything else that we do here in Colorado.
Speaker 2: I sure won't.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Tonoka.
Speaker 1: Ninety one FM, got Way, the Nicey Prey.
Speaker 2: Donald keeping your sad bab Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the third hour of the show.
Speaker 5: I'm your host, Mandy Connell, joined of course by Anthony Rodriguez, and we've got a lot of people. Thank you very much. We got a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 2: At two thirty.
Speaker 4: Our friend Christian Toto's going to join us to talk about the Howard Stern stunt this morning, and Howard out there saying he can't leave now because then people will say he got fired. We'll do that a little bit later. But I got a lot of stuff on the blog that I want to get to today, including this story about what we're.
Speaker 5: Calling the Phillies Karen ball snatcher.
Speaker 4: What's remarkable to me is that the Internet has not identified.
Speaker 2: This woman yet.
Speaker 4: That's shocking because we have very clear video about this woman.
Speaker 5: She has not been identified.
Speaker 4: They identified another woman who said, look, not only am I not a Phillies fan, I was in Miami during this game. So it's not me Plausible deniability being a thing. She certainly has it. So someone actually asked the dad who eventually handed the ball took the ball, if you don't know this story, first of all, congratulations for living under a social media rock and not knowing.
Speaker 5: Any of this stuff. But what happened.
Speaker 4: What happened was there is a home run ball and it is hit into the stands. Now a rod back me up here. So when a ball is hit into the stands. It's a free for all, right, there's no like you don't get to call dibbs. There's no it's mine, No, it is whoever comes out of the scrum with the.
Speaker 2: Ball in their hand.
Speaker 6: Correct, usually a slight edge to children, but correct, I mean, decent people make sure that children get these balls.
Speaker 2: But not this woman anyway. So what's happening is the ball is hit.
Speaker 4: Dad runs over and he reaches down to the ground, and this is important to the ground to pick up the ball. He picks up the ball, he brings it back to his kid. Now Here comes Philly Karen. We don't know her real name, we're just calling her Philly Karen, ball snatcher.
Speaker 2: She comes running over.
Speaker 4: Now she is in the row behind where the ball eventually hit the ground, which means, you, guys, if you've ever been in a baseball stadium, you know that lady is not at all going to be able to get that ball on the ground in the row in front of her.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: She missed her window when she didn't reach out and.
Speaker 4: Catch it, which, by the way, she could have wish she didn't. Now Here comes Philly Karen over to the dad. The kid's his son, who by the way, it was a birthday president taking him to the game, and Philly Kieren runs over and starts just bitching this guy out, and NBC ten at Philadelphia finally tracked down the dad, his name is Drew felt Well, and they said why did you give the ball to this woman? And he said I pretty much just wanted her to go away. And I was like, I get it, Dad, I get it. But then he continued, and he's absolutely right when he says, look, I had a couple options. None of them were good, Like what do I show my kid that I'm gonna sit here and argue with an old woman to try and get the ball back? Or am I gonna show him that this is we de escalate, We just you know, take care of the situation out. He got a lot of crap online for this, but I think as a dad, that was probably the right thing to do. This woman, on the other hand, is a horrible person, and the internet has not been able to find out who she is yet.
Speaker 2: Oh they will.
Speaker 5: The internet is like, you know, like ten and oher on finding stuff like this out.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: I have a couple stories. This one is only important to my daughter and possibly me. Target is opening stores at midnight yeah, on October third, to sell CDs of her newest CD, Life of a Showgirl. So, if you have a Swifty in your household, like I do, I put a link to all the Colorado stores.
Speaker 2: I've already circled the one closest near me.
Speaker 4: Although, in what I can only describe as the coolest thing ever, my daughter is vinyl only. Like now, I'll just wait for the vinyl. I'll wait for the record to come out. Everything that's old is new again, you guys, everything ay rod Do you remember that? And I'm gonna put it in air quotes that woman in the Olympics that beat the crap out of all the other women in Olympic boxing. Yes, do you remember her name? Ammaine Khalif Yep? Well, and again the air quotes this woman. She has now faced an uphill battle since her Olympic victories of beating the crap out of women, and the rules have changed and the international boxing organizations have now said, look, if you're gonna fight in a women's category, we got to do a cheek swab, We got to check out, make see make sure their chromosomes are what they're supposed to be, which is XX. In a decision that I'm sure is going to shock all of you, this dude is now refused to take a genetic test to prove that this dude is actually a woman. Now, anybody with eyeballs could tell you that this woman was not a woman. She's a dude, or at least dude like, right, So there's no.
Speaker 2: Surprise at all.
Speaker 4: She's refused. She's appealing. By the way, this is what I love about this boxing organization. They not only said from now on, if you want to fight in a woman's category, you have to do this cheek swab and we're gonna just do a quick DNA test. They also said, and oh, by the way, if you're appealing or you don't get to box while you're appealing either. So we'll have to wait and see how this all turns out. But I'm perfectly fine with excluding someone who cannot be bothered to prove that they are a female from being able to fight in female categories, especially in boxing, because those matches were awful, horrible to watch. I mean, for everybody that kept saying things like about.
Speaker 2: The Philly Dad, like Philly Dudgeon had knocked her out.
Speaker 4: I'm like, did you already We already saw a man fighting women in the Olympics, and it's not cool. It's not cool at all. By the way, thanks to the person who just sent me. Although I believed it was coming, now it's official. Senator Barbara Kirkmeyer has filed to run for governor. She's got an announcement coming out tomorrow afternoon. I'm gonna see if I can get her on the show on Wednesday to talk about it. But I for when am happy about this. I think Barb is so incredibly smart. She knows the ins and outs and the workings of this state. She can make a compelling case to, you know, do the things that need to be done. Like here's something crazy, why don't we spend transportation dollars on roads. Things like that I think will resonate with voters, and then you're gonna have like a white dude or a woman to choose from. I mean, the deared police versus Heidigan all thing. He was still gay, so in the identity politics world, you're like, he's a white dude, but he's gay. So I feel like I'm okay voting for the white gay dude over the woman. I mean, just in the identity politics world, and unfortunately there are people who really do think like that. Okay, when we get back, I've got news about beyond Meat, and if you love beyond meat, you better stalk up. I've got McDonald's starting a fast food price war and that's not official yet, but just watch it. And we're gonna have a moment on double dutch competitions and this one is is artistry better than speed?
Speaker 2: All of that coming up next.
Speaker 4: Eleven people, including children and a baby, are missing after a hippopotamus capsized a boat in the Ivory Coast. The incident took place on the Sossandra River in Buyoi Bou Yoh Bou Yoh, b u Yo buy on Friday.
Speaker 5: Three confirmed survivors.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, how do you?
Speaker 4: I don't want that to be my cause of death. What happened, Well, we got capsized by hippo.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess it's a thing. I just I wanted you to know that.
Speaker 4: If I know that, that's that's all there is to it. If I know it, you're gonna know it. It's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys, stories that I want you to know about.
Speaker 4: McDonald's is starting what I'm sure is going to be a fast food price war, because fast food is hurting right now because their standard clientele middle class, lower middle class people don't have any disposable income because everything else is too expensive. And McDonald's took it on the chin when somebody posted that their Big Mac happened. You know, their Big Mac value meal was twenty bucks. So starting today now, McDonald's is adding limited time extra value meals to the offerings, including an eight dollars big Mac meal that comes with medium fries and a medium soft drink, and a five dollars sausage McMuffin with egg meal that comes with hash browns and a small coffee. Additionally, a few other menu items, including egg mcmuffins quarter pounders, can also be ordered at as extra value meals and we'll be prepared with the appropriate side item and beverage, representing a fifteen percent savings. So we'll see what happens with other fast food operations. But I gotta tell you, I went through Panera the other day. I was running, I had a bunch of stuff to do, and then I have to go get my hair cut, and I just needed something to kind of tide me over.
Speaker 2: So I go through Panera and I get.
Speaker 4: A cup of soup, a cup, not a bowl, not the bread bowl, just a cup of soup, very simple, no drink, cup of soup.
Speaker 2: Eight bucks and fifty cents.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, Panera, you have seen my last dollars, because that cup of soup is not remotely worth eight dollars and fifty cents. Like, nothing about that cup of soup was eight dollars and fifty cents. So yeah, it's like staggering mode. You go to the grocery store, don't you just kind of go, holy crap, how does this little amount of food cost that much? But anyway, bad news if you're a Beyond Meat fan. When I tried the Beyond Meat Whopper, it wasn't bad, you know, it wasn't it wasn't horrible, It didn't like it wasn't like like that.
Speaker 5: I mean it was it was fine, but not as good as the beef whopper.
Speaker 2: And apparently I am not alone.
Speaker 4: Once the darling of the plant based food space, Beyond Meat has suffered a precipitous decline in sales as consumer consumption plunges. Economic uncertainty and concerns over the processed nature of the offerings has push shoppers swords, wait for it, cheaper animal options. They have about a billion dollars in debt right now, over a billion dollars, and what's really bad for them is that new research now suggests that consuming meat is not associated with a higher risk of death and may even protect against cancer related mortality. Recent research from Canada's McMaster University revealed that animal source foods are not linked to a higher risk of death. The study discovered that animal proteins could also offer protective benefits against cancer related mortality. Researchers analyzed data from sixteen thousand adults age nineteen and older, considering how much animal and plant protein they consumed. They also examined whether these diet patterns were associated with risk of dyeing from causes such as heart.
Speaker 5: Disease or cancer.
Speaker 4: The results revealed no increased risk of death in association with eating.
Speaker 2: More animal protein.
Speaker 4: That data also showed a modest but significant reduction in cancer related mortality.
Speaker 5: If that is the case, yours truly is going to last forever.
Speaker 4: Also on the blog Today, I don't have time to go into it right now, because we're gonna talk to Christian Toto when we get back. A Rod sent me a video of a double dutch jump rope competition that was just like, all of these guys were on crack and double dutching as fast as they can. A Rod I responded with a video from America's Got Talent of Japanese double Dutch, which is as much art and arabatics, aerobatics, acrobatics as it is speed.
Speaker 5: I prefer the second to the first. The speed just made me tired.
Speaker 4: Headline number one prominently displayed on the news media, Howard Stern walks away from Serious XM after two decades, and then right next to it, headline number two, Howard Stern returns to SiriusXM radio show after trolling listeners.
Speaker 5: Did they just troll the listeners news media?
Speaker 2: I don't think they did.
Speaker 4: Christian Toto shared a fawning Hollywood reporter story about Howard Stern staying in it for all the right reasons, but I don't think Christian was buying what they were selling.
Speaker 5: And so he's on the show with me now to talk about it.
Speaker 8: Hello, my friend, Hello, Yeah, I'm an old school og listener to Howard Stern.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 8: Proud to say it, but he is not what he used to be. But I also think the media ain't what it used to be either, which is kind of interesting as well and actually part of the story.
Speaker 4: So you know, we kind of went over this, and like, I have this love hate relationship with Howard Stern, and it goes way back as well, because my first real gig was producing the Overnight Show, and on occasion I would be drafted into staying to produce the Howard Stern Show, which you would think would not be that bad. But sometimes the Howard Stern Show went three hours, sometimes it went five and a half hours. It was just whatever Howard felt like doing that day, which on radio like this is a nightmare, right because we have other shows that are supposed to start. And then there is the way that Howard Stern used to treat people on his show, especially women.
Speaker 5: He purely objectified women.
Speaker 4: He did really cruel and nasty bits that were designed to be cruel and nasty. And so I've had this kind of relationship where I don't like the guy. But then on the flip side, you see a guy who has been so influential in my industry, a guy who got a five hundred million dollar contract out of Serious XM. So I have this, like, I admire his business acumen and what he's accomplished, but I think it's a sad commentary on what he did to accomplish those goals.
Speaker 5: So here's where I am. That's long story short.
Speaker 8: Yeap, No, No, that's it's fine, and I think it's mostly fair. But I also think he was cruel to everyone, Yeah, including himself, including his castmates there, so it was really no holds barred they you know, he would make fun of himself constantly, self deprecating anyone his crew is fair game. So I think if you entered that orbit, you just knew what you were getting. And you know, it's a little bit like the current show Kill Tony with their brutal on each other, the wannabe comedians, the fellow cast members, everyone.
Speaker 2: But that's just part of it.
Speaker 8: And if you don't want to join that, you just don't join it. You know, if you're an actress and you don't want to be owgle to ask some tough questions, you don't go on the Howard Stern Show. So it was a little you know, I think people knew what they were getting into, and I think in retrospect off and say, oh I was offended by that, or I don't know why he treated me that way. Well, you knew it was coming and you wanted the exposure. So I'm a little defensive on that realm. And also, like you said, it was so free for him. It was so unexpurgated. He never knew what was going to happen, and he often went long because the segment was killing it, because the interview was great, because he and his cast mates there were telling somebody that was really funny. They had a vibe going, and as the listener, I didn't care about, you know, oh my gosh, the commercial break is getting destroyed. I just wanted to hear it. So that that was my initial take on Howard from way back when.
Speaker 5: When did he completely go soft?
Speaker 4: I mean, COVID absolutely broke the man completely, like I have never seen anyone in the public eye I crumble like he crumbled during COVID, refusing to leave his house for how many years? I mean, really, it was very sad because obviously there's some kind of deep seated anxiety there that just got exacerbated by COVID. But it was before that a lot of people were blaming his wife for making him soft.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean he's been married to his second wife, Beth for quite a while now, so I don't I don't know how much impact. I think it's a combination. I think it's COVID clearly. I mean, of all the public figures, he was the most destroyed by that in many many ways. I think it was the Trump Revolution. I don't think he's handled that well now. But I also think, deep down, Howard Stern really wanted to be loved. And you know, I watched him aggressively, and I watched the media aggressively cover him, and they hated Howard Stern and they made no bones about it. And I think they always were waiting, Okay, he's gonna get canceled, his rating's going to go down. It's the time. He's just a shock chock, He's nothing more. And I think he really really wanted to be loved. And I think now he kisses up the Hollywood, he kisses up to the Jimmy Kimmels of the world. Now they love him in a way, and I think he's always wanted that, and to be loved means you have to let your guard down. You have to put away the divisive comments, you have to not excoriate your fellow celebrities. You've got to be nicer. And I think this version of him is just wildly inauthentic, and it just is not what he was at his best.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: And I can't say I've listened to a Howard Stern show in over a decade, but I'm not in the demo right.
Speaker 5: He's not talking to me. He never has been.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about this contract with Serious, because I would say zero percent chance the Serious was going to pony up another one hundred million a year, and we haven't gotten any A's right understanding. A deal has not been done yet.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate? Are you read as well?
Speaker 8: He was vague about it. It sounds like he wants the deal to continue, a deal of some kind. He wants to continue. He doesn't want to retire, So I think it makes sense in many levels for him to kind of continue where he is right now. I don't think he has a fire in his belly to recommit to a different platform or different idea or different concept. So I think they'll hash something out. They may keep some of the details behind the scenes because it's not going to be the same No huge contracts he's gotten in the past, so you know, it's very important to save face. So I think he's going to work out something where he's able to save face because that, again, the ego is massive. He even said it today, he said, like, I can't go out in these terms. I was thinking about retiring, but because the image was negative, I just can't. I need to go out. I need to write my own exit. But really he should have written a decade or so ago.
Speaker 4: But isn't that exactly what you just said for a guy who just wants to be loved and now he's found himself in a position we're in all honesty, Christian, I think part of it is he is, in my mind, become almost a pathetic character, a shell of what he used to be. And it's hard to beat up on a pathetic character, right, It's like beating up your little brother's best friend, you know. And people do pull their punches when they feel like someone is damaged or in a bad place or sad or whatever. And the way he reacted and acted during COVID was to me just like shockingly bad. I was genuinely surprised by that, And maybe I shouldn't be, because he's always been a whiner and a hypochondriac and all of those things. That's been a part of his persona. But I think that people are pulling punches because of who he is now.
Speaker 8: Well, part of it is the media is pulling punches because he's on their side now right saying all the right things and doing all the right things. Listen, he did an interview with President Biden I guess probably a couple of months before he stepped aside. That was so embarrassing. I think MSNBC wouldn't go to that level. And this is the guy who is this wild and wacky shock jock. He was the guy who just told it like it is, and he's talking to Biden like he was Abraham Lincoln, with the reverence and the agulation. Yeah, and listen, you could be respectful to the president and you could do some good interviews. But that was really embarrassing. And the old Howard Stern would have mocked the new one into oblivion. So he's aggressively changed.
Speaker 4: So Christian, I have to tell you part of the other part of my animosity towards Howard Stern. I was a flight attendant in the early nineties for Delta Airlines. One year for New Year's Eve, I had to lay over in that red hot destination of Newark, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: We landed at like eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 5: We are sign in.
Speaker 4: The next morning was like four thirty in the morning. Okay, we had to be downstairs in the lobby. Not a very long break. We land, we go to our hotel, which is located right next to the beautiful prison there in Newark, so we're in a hot, hot place. It also happened to be the hotel where Howard Stern was filming his New Year's Eve special, So you can only imagine the quality of the crowd that was in this hotel in Newark, New Jersey.
Speaker 5: But I'm like, you know what, whatever, it's eight thirty, I'm going to bed.
Speaker 4: I got to be up at four. I go to my room, only to be delighted by the people next door. At about one o'clock in the morning. They stagger in from the event, and the guys decide to have a contest to see who could pee the longest Christian. So not only did I get to hear their urine stream, I got to hear them loudly count one, two, three, foo.
Speaker 2: All of them did it. So I was so mad at this point and wide awake.
Speaker 4: At one o'clock in the morning, I filled out the little card on the they wanted breakfast, So right after I left it four they had all of these breakfast items delivered at five am. So that was my revenge and I'm still bitter about that.
Speaker 8: How many times did someone cry out baba booie babba booe?
Speaker 5: I was I honestly, I was so angry, like my ears were bleeding.
Speaker 2: I was so mad.
Speaker 4: Well, Christian, you know we're gonna have to wait and see what happened. Do you think details of the deal are going to leak out at any point? I mean, this one feels like it's going to be held close to the chest for all the reasons you just said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think if they can hide it, they will. I think the big secret with Howard Stern now is who's listening? You know, anecdotally, I'll go on Twitter and I'll say, hey, anyone over there still listening to him? And I get crickets. But more importantly, I think that they would announce his ratings over and over year after year, and they used to be massive, and another New York post had reported something that was minuscule. So who's listening right now?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 8: I mean, why wouldn't they shout that number to the rafters If they're not, that's certainly suspicious. Again, I think that they can hide the details. They will if they can maybe maneuver something, maybe he gives.
Speaker 2: Up some of his stock.
Speaker 8: There will be some creative accounting here for sure, because his ego is big, and he doesn't want to go out on a note like this.
Speaker 2: He is not what he used to be.
Speaker 7: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: I just had this text or Mandy asked Christian about K pop Demon Hunters.
Speaker 2: Have you reviewed?
Speaker 4: It's delightful, Christian. The first ten minutes are completely inane, but after that I kind of loved it.
Speaker 8: You know, I kind of heard about it after it exploded across the culture, and I have not caught up with it. It's kind of my bad habit. If I don't see a movie right away or at appreciating, I tend to kind of have to move on to other films. So I haven't checked it out yet, but it's a sensation.
Speaker 5: You need a sixteen year old daughter to guide you in your movie choices.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 8: It really is the old we don't. I think it's a William Goldman line. No one knows anything about Hollywood. I mean, they just put out a fourth movie in the Conjuring franchise, I know, and it made nearly two hundred dollars one hundred million dollars globally.
Speaker 4: I mean, who saw that great obviously not me and you, but no, watch it. I'd love to hear your opinion. First ten minutes, you're gonna want to shove pencils in your eyes. But then after that it gets all this like Korean mysticism and culture. It's I thoroughly enjoyed it, like I would voluntarily watch it again.
Speaker 2: That's that's why. I think.
Speaker 8: That's what shows you that I think the Hollywood formula can be so stale. If something is different, unique, it shakes things up. It's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is, and it certainly has had a good run thanks to those K pop kids.
Speaker 2: Christian Toto.
Speaker 4: You can read his work or listen to his podcasts at Hollywood intoto dot com. Or read his columns all over the place. You're like, you're publishing everywhere now, Chris, You're so popular, very popular, very famous too.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I'm afraid he's got I'm gonna call him one day. It's gonna be like, I'm sorry, I don't know who this is.
Speaker 2: Do you know who you're calling? Exactly?
Speaker 5: Neither of us have people spoiler alert. All right, my friend, I'll.
Speaker 2: See you later.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, that's Christian Toto read his stuff at Hollywood intoto dot com. Mandy the Day Howard Lost Me says this Texters. When right after he split up with his first wife, Opie and Anthony did a great skit about his breakup, Howard whined to the owners and stopped Opie and Anthony from speaking about him. That was a really great radio feud between Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony because they were all powerhouses.
Speaker 5: At the time.
Speaker 4: That was a really good feud. Geez, enough about Howard. He doesn't read this much interest. Trust me, I will never speak of him again. Because now in the studio, the flannel wearing god himself Ryan Edwards to talk about yesterday's game and whatnot, and this is what I said at the beginning of the show, agree or disagree. I said this game was ugly. It exposed serious flaws in the offense. It showed us how good the defense is. But we still got a w and we have time to course correct because it's the first game of the season. This is the best of the possible situations in my view, where we are right at the second, I could agree with I think three of those four points.
Speaker 9: I don't know about the serious flaws in the offense. I think most of this stuff is correctable.
Speaker 4: But oh, I think all of it is correctable. Yeah, But what I'm saying is I'm glad it was exposed right now, sure, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And I was a good game.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: I think that bo Nicks maybe consumed a little too much of his own press.
Speaker 9: I think could have been Yeah, you know, we talked a little bit about that on React last night, about how much maybe some of the way the offense played and maybe even Sean who was actually putting out the press, the way they coached that game, maybe it could be a little bit of that. It felt like, again, there's some moments where they just were on the same page. It's amazing how sometimes we talk about preseason reps and how they can be helpful. This felt like one of those moments, like gay, if you had had some more time in the preseason, it might have helped you a little bit with these Hey, the receiver is supposed to run this kind of route, but decided to stop instead of keep going. There was a couple of moments with bone Nicks where I think that the Tennessee Titans and you got to give them some love on the defensive side of the wall because they're very talented, and I think they gave bone Nicks in that offense some looks that they were not prepared for, and so it definitely looked.
Speaker 5: Like somebody forgot to tell Tennessee they were supposed to lose that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 4: I mean, in my mind, I felt like bow got out of his depth and then wasn't quite sure how to recover, especially in the first half. Second half, you started to feel like, Okay, you know, maybe, but as one who has occasionally in the far far away past enjoyed a little too much of my own press, only to be smacked down and embarrassed by God in some public fashion, I know what that looks like. And that's kind of what that looked like to me.
Speaker 9: I mean, listen, it's hard not to think about it, right, especially in those moments when you have your coach talking about this is one of seven teams that could win a Super Bowl. You're talking about your quarterback is a possible top five guy. Well, that's not how a top five guy plays. That's certainly not how a super Bowl team, at least on the offensive side of the ball looks. The defense, again, was spectacular. The numbers are staggering, really, and part of that also, the Sissy Titans offense is a flawed Now that's a flawed unit.
Speaker 4: That's still came at the end of the game when his receivers dropped three balls in a row. I felt sorry for the kid. Yeah, I was like, he didn't and his poor dad.
Speaker 2: Did you see his sad I didn't. His parents are sitting up.
Speaker 4: There completely stoic, like not no emotionless, and one of the commentators was like, wow, you know, I don't know if I.
Speaker 2: Could be that emotionless.
Speaker 4: Then the third ball gets dropped and they show the dad and he's just like, oh my god, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He had I would say overall decent accuracy.
Speaker 9: I mean, certainly his time in the pocket, he he drifted a little bit too much, and that happens with rookies, right, I mean there's that moment where panic, Yeah, where Marvin MIM's muscle and they have the ball basically right outside the red zone and they end up going backwards out of fiel little range. Those are things that you got to learn from. But yeah, I saw some things that I think are very encouraging. But you know, the receivers drop the baller's lens is so much you can do.
Speaker 4: The good thing that I feel like I know as a fan about bo Nix is that I think that this will not remotely mentally crush.
Speaker 2: Him, like maybe humble him a little bit.
Speaker 4: Maybe that was needed, but I think that he has demonstrated, especially last year, that he does not spend a lot of time like regurgitating in his mind what could have you know what I mean, He's like, what can I learn? Let's move on, which I think is the only way to be in sports at any level. You can't get mired down.
Speaker 2: And what happened in the last game one.
Speaker 9: Hundred percent, and that was one of the things that his coaches, all of them said universally about him when we were sort of doing our detailed work on him in the pre draft process, was that he tends to not repeat mistakes. And they said the same thing when he got here. To Denver's coaches were like, it's really impressive. Is he only needs to learn something once? So I do think that's why, Like what you think about is flaws in the offense is fair because it was flawed that day, but that's hopefully not something that they will repeat catastrophic.
Speaker 2: Yes, not, Oh my god, we don't have an offense which we've seen many years of that here and so like, you know, you go down that road where you're.
Speaker 9: Like Trevor Simeon and Jake Skeenam and Joe Flacco and you're like, no, those are flaws and there's nothing you can do about it. So you're just gonna have to hope that one day it's not as bad.
Speaker 2: As the next day. And this is not one of those things.
Speaker 9: I think that they're gonna be able to build off a lot of the things, and there's some really positive science from the offense. Obviously, the running game, especially in the second half, really kind of started to show up. And that's that's kind of by design, right, that's why you're doing the wide zone. It's supposed to eventually break open a few of those people down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So that is the hope is if you stick with it and you can get.
Speaker 9: Into the second half of these games, you're gonna be able to open up some of those lanes.
Speaker 2: And they were able to do.
Speaker 9: And again, if they can listen, they've run rush for one hundred and fifty one yards every single game. They're gonna be a lot of games, and they might win a lot of games too.
Speaker 5: And now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio.
Speaker 2: On its guide in the world of that day. Look at I gotta tell you been all right.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he's been practicing at home, but he's coming for you.
Speaker 2: He's coming for you. I'm he's giving it. Oh I like that. Well, think about Ben. It's Ben.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he gets bored very easily, exactly. So give it like a week and they hit be like Ryan, Now I don't care.
Speaker 2: Now I don't care. It's fired. Okay, what does our dad joke of the day? Please?
Speaker 6: I asked a farmer for twelve asparagus, but he gave me thirteen. The extra was a spare. I guess, oh wow, wow.
Speaker 2: What is today's word of the day. Please?
Speaker 3: It's the verb verb mollify. What mollify m O l l I f y mollify? Is that to soothe things over to sort of?
Speaker 2: That's mollify mollify m O l l I.
Speaker 4: So that is right, Yeah, tomlifies to make things better, to smooth something.
Speaker 2: Over to sort of A yeah, pretty much?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: To mollify someone is to make them less angry. Can also meet it reduced in intensity. Okay, do you want question A or B from the trivia questions?
Speaker 2: I eat? Both of them are super hard.
Speaker 4: Okay, what record did professional boxer Al Couture set in September twenty fourth, forty six match against Ralph Back.
Speaker 5: What is a rat height?
Speaker 2: A T I T E rat type rat poop? Oh little small one.
Speaker 4: Little turdle rat turd Ryan's like sounds good to me.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Any bird with a flat breastbone that has no attached flight muscles trats height is primarily used to describe flightless birds like ostriches, EMUs and moas.
Speaker 2: There I go all right, what was the was the answer to the one?
Speaker 4: The other one was fastest knockout in professional boxing history and torn off in ten point five seconds. You go, that was walk up, punch him in the face, walk away?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 5: What is our Jeopardy category?
Speaker 2: Party? Party? Party? Okay?
Speaker 6: And overnight get together for kids, in which I feel like Ryan got down until what does the sleepover?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 5: But also accepted summer party because it has party in the name.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, it says both no, no, no, it says both say the other one in print, but in the blue now it says in blue ahead.
Speaker 2: This type of shin dig with all white garb was made popular. What is a white party?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: It's made popular by the film Animal House. Oh what an idiots? Was the toga party? Close off?
Speaker 6: Both ends up the street and turn up the music. What's a block party?
Speaker 2: Correct? Like to zero? Yes, guess the birth is a popular theme. What's a general reveal party?
Speaker 6: Nope, that would be normal, but this is from twenty fourteen, not popularized yet. Guess the birth is a popular game at this type of get together.
Speaker 5: If you don't know this, I'm gonna be at it.
Speaker 2: It's like a baby.
Speaker 5: It's a baby shower. Yeah, it's a baby shower.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you guess that you're you're already wrong. I'm already wrong. Yeah, you're wrong. Yeah, baby shower.
Speaker 6: Oh he was a shower from the French for evening this word for a party, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Does that mean your time? I have zero?
Speaker 5: Ryan won handily two to zero, which.
Speaker 2: Is amazing because I feel like I'm sleepwalking. But you're doing great, You're doing perfectly fine.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll leave you to dang it to dissect the game and more on KO Sports.
Speaker 5: We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Keep it right here,