Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 1: On Sports Talk seven nine day, Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is, you know, legitimately important breaking news. But then again I kind of kind of question what I just said after considering it. The SEC has made it official that they are going to require schools to submit injury reports before every game. That is, I mean, that's something, But I feel like you're gonna be able to You're gonna be able to, like still be very vague if you want, and get away with it. Because if I list John as doubtful to be able to start a tight end for us because he's been dealing with something like I can just tell everybody when he starts and plays every snap, just a miraculous recovery. We said a prayer before the before we went out there on the field, and we got out there. It's a power of God. You know, you gotta I got to give the game ball to Jesus Christ because we prayed over John's hurt knee and now he's out there catching touchdowns. It's just an act of God. And you know, you never doubt him. You can never question him if you guys think there's any funny business going on, you take it up with the man upstairs.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I feel like that's that quote came straight out of Daboswiney's mouth.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just riffing, but like I could see. Like I mean again, like if somebody says, yeah, he was hurting, now he's not, or uh, he was good and you won't believe it. He had a flare up in the in the uh in the locker room, Yeah, comes out and yeah we got we got him in a full body cast. He got hit by a car in the parking lot this week, but then he was ready to go and then it just flared up. So yeah, that's why he's in a full bot. Like you could, you could get away with it. Now if there's actually like legitimate documentation, you've got to provide that, you know, shows that you're track like you know. But I just think if you really want to be vague about it, you can. I think there's there's a lot of college football coaches are consistent as far as how they handle things. They're all kind of caddy wanting to be super secretive. But I do think the injury stuff before a game. It really is based on the coach's personality. There are some coaches that do not care if you know about an injury. There are some coaches that are gonna do whatever they can to play the gamesmanship card and keep everything as super close to the best as they can. So anyway, yeah, the SEC is going to require all schools to submit injury reports before every game. All right, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the radio app Listen Live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot Com. It's our number two and we now bring in a special guest. It's mister Kendrick Haskins from Way three Sports. How we doing today, Kendrick, I'm good.
Speaker 5: I'm just sitting here and just looked up at the monitor and it's said the current temperature outside is one hundred and one.
Speaker 6: I'm like, that's insane.
Speaker 3: He sure doesn't say swamp ass. You sure doesn't say that.
Speaker 5: Brother's go go outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay indoors where it's cool. If you have ac I saw somebody today at a red light hot as hell. Outside, and they had a new car. I'm talking like probably twenty twenty one, twenty two or newer. I mean it's a new car, new ish car, and you can have a car that agent maybe the AC's out, but like it looked like the person was choosing to not have the AC on in their car. And again maybe it didn't work, but like that psychopathic behavior. I think if you have AC today and you choose not to use it, right.
Speaker 5: Up there with the people who'll be he who are in full blown hoodies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, dude, well what's up with kids now?
Speaker 6: Like it's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 5: So I had a buddy from mine from Florida to say, they do it down there because the ke's the heat off their skin and i the sun off their skin. And I'm like, I get that if you're wearing the thin ones, but they're wearing the full blown, thick cotton hoodies runner walking around in ninety ninety five degrees outside, I.
Speaker 3: Don't get it. I mean, I guess they're I guess are built different. They're they're either really stupid or they're just a lot tougher than our generation. Because I mean, like, yeah, because if you because like tomorrow night at the high school football games, you will see a lot of kids out there in excruciating heat wearing hoodies. And I'm like, what do you like?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 3: How do I just don't get it? I don't, I don't. I don't get it at.
Speaker 5: All of that though, as you know, when it starts when it's freezing outside and around November towards the.
Speaker 6: End of the season, shorts, there will always.
Speaker 5: Be football coaches out there in shorts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that makes look tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, it's It's just it's an image they try to portray. I think if it's okay to admit you might want to throw on some pants or that you might, you know where, you know, wear short sleeves because it's hot outside. I guess I'm I'm out on the fat on the latest fashion stuff because it's it is. I mean, I I'm glad you said something about that because it's so true. I know, and I look at people in question like this, maybe they've got like a skin condition, because who would be wearing long sleeves right now? It's one hundred degrees outside. It's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So we've got football season around here. Actually, starts this week and Week zero was a nice appetizer. But the local teams are in action before we get into sort of a potential thing you could see that might make you feel pretty good, because these teams are coming here to get a check and go home, hopefully not injured, and you know their season ruined. That's just how this works. But before we get into that. In your coverage over the years, is there a game of this of this, you know the bye games where teams can you think of like the worst beat down ever or a team you saw that came in that just kind of looked the saddest and you were like, man, I'm sure they're ready for that clock hit zero and they can get out of here because they don't belong. The one that comes to me is basketball. When Isaiah Thomas brought FIU in here. Do you remember that years ago?
Speaker 6: Yes, it was so funny.
Speaker 3: He didn't get up off the bench. The whole game did.
Speaker 5: Not between him and remember when Clyde Drexler was Oh yes, and he'd never left the scorer's table and.
Speaker 3: He looked as if like he just wanted to be out there being Clyde the Glide and not really doing any.
Speaker 5: Coaching or it looked like he read be anywhere else but in the arena.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was bad.
Speaker 6: That was a bad form as coaches have always been.
Speaker 5: Remember I remember when Dad Marley was at Grand Canyon, yea, and they came here, and I remember he actually did coach. And I remember because we used to shoot down by the opponent's bench at that.
Speaker 6: Time, so his son was like sitting right by me, so I was talking to him in timeouts and stuff.
Speaker 3: Dude, some of these former players that get into coaching, I mean, they like a lot of them don't need to coach, you know what I mean. Like they they're they're financially in a good spot. Like their legacy as a player is pretty good. And like I guess if you just want to be around basketball. But like you know, like if I played the game and I was around it a lot and I retired, like I have a hard time thinking I would want to get into coaching unless you know, I just had to for a way to make money. But some of these dudes who do it, like you know, like why did Magic Johnson feel the need to be the GM of the Lakers? He got eighteen other things.
Speaker 6: Going on ego.
Speaker 3: That's all that is. That's true.
Speaker 5: I mean it's rarely that you see a great player in the being a great coach.
Speaker 6: Like Larry bird is won, he was a pretty he was a good coach for the Pacers.
Speaker 3: Shut out my Pacers.
Speaker 6: I think when Rondo decides to actually start going into.
Speaker 5: Coaching full time, I do think he's going to be a great coach because he's so smart.
Speaker 6: But for the most part, it's never great players that go with that are good coaches. Yeah, they think.
Speaker 5: Because everything came so easy for them because of their talent.
Speaker 6: They're like, well, why can't you do this? Like does your magic Johnson?
Speaker 3: Yep. And I I mean most of the guys who do coach and have great success were players, but they were the guys who probably sat and observed a lot because they weren't elite enough to be out there. That's a good point. I mean, I know it's been it's it's kind of a trend before, but that's I mean, even like Bill Belichick, I mean, a guy who some would say is the best ever Popovich. I mean those are guys who, again, they were around, they were exposed to the sport, but it was never never because they were elite as players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Belichick was like a lacrosse player or something crazy like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he volunteered. I think he volunteered to just be on the sideline one year and you know, just kind of mean. To say he worked his way up would be an understatement considering the career that does that he put together. But Louisville and Austin p on Saturday again, Louisville thirty six and a half point, favorite's likely going to be a big beat down. I hate these games, but also understand why they exist. And the reason I hate him as a fan, specifically just as a fan is that I like to figure out each week something about my team, and that's almost impossible to do. Because if Louisville was in a closer game to where they won by twenty nine and didn't cover, some would say, although that's concerning, they didn't cover. I would also say, well, it's because they know. They didn't really have to turn it on, because the human element kicks in when it comes to sports, like you know who you're playing, and then if you do blow him out by eighty, that's great, that's encouraging, but you also have to remind yourself of who you played. Is there anything that you are you know, if Louisville's looking to after one week feel like they're on pace to be the team that they want to be. Is there one specific thing you could see Saturday that you think would support that.
Speaker 5: I think if the offense is moving the ball and it looks more like the brom offives that were accustomed to, I think that would be a good sign.
Speaker 6: I mean, yes, they should do that against Austin p but you want to see that.
Speaker 5: You want to see them move the ball up the up and down the field like we're accustomed to seeing.
Speaker 6: So I think that's one thing. And then on.
Speaker 5: Defense, you want to see if the defense is as good as hype.
Speaker 6: Because I really do believe this defense is going to.
Speaker 5: Have the has the chance to be one of the best defenses that Louisvill's had in a very very long time. When you look at the pieces and you look at Julyatti over there.
Speaker 6: And everything they have. So those are kind of things you want to see.
Speaker 5: And I feel like as a fan, you want them to blow them out because like, if that game is close, if they don't cover it's one thing because because I hate I stay away from games like that because oh yeah, they get up a late, right, But like if it's one of those things where they're like in a nail bier at halftime, then that you worry a little bit. So as a fan, you kind of want to see them go ahead and take care of business early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on the defense, especially because and even if they do shut them out, I mean, it'll be a good sign. You know, you'll know who you did it as far as the opponent. But I'm starting to sense that Brom's comments about the offense during those fall camp scrimmages, I'm starting to get the sense that those within the program are starting to let it out that you know, maybe they now realize that the offense had some struggles in camp because you know, what they were going up against a really, really good defense, which you know, there's probably not going to see that many Clemson, of course, is always going to pack a great defense there, and there'll be other teams that'll give you a great look. But I mean, if Lowell's defense is as good as advertised and these really high level players continue to play at a high level, you know, Tyler Shuck may tell us at the end of the year that fall camp might have been some of the toughest toughest times for him as far as going up against a really really good defense, his own defense that you know, makes life a little lazy for you if you're a quarterback, right or the defense is great, you know, there's not as much pressure for you as the QB to go out there and just be you know, electric every night. I mean, if you can, it'd be great, but there's just not as much pressure there. It gives you a nice insurance policy, right, Right, You.
Speaker 5: Don't feel like you have to score every time you go out there.
Speaker 6: On the field because it's face that most times you're not.
Speaker 3: And Jeff's teams that Purdue felt like that, right, Like that's how in a Western Like if they didn't score every time, you felt like you were in trouble.
Speaker 6: Western still like that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's true. Brand has has has been consistent, no doubt. Right. So with Kentucky, you know, they're playing a team from from the Sun Belt in Southern miss who has tradition and clearly has had some great teams you know historically, but they're really down expected to be one of the worst teams in their in their conference, and Kentucky is also big favorites here, a little bit of a step up from Austin p considering again, this is Southern Miss. But I mean, what could Kentucky put out there to where you feel like they would you know, be able to understand that it was level, that the result was based off level of competition, and that it's tough to really know, but like, what could be something they see to make them kind of feel like they're on track to where they want.
Speaker 6: To be a Southern myths beat them? And though was it twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah it was Shannon Dawson got canned by Mark Stoops and ended up calling the place for Southern I forgot about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so but with that one, I think Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Southern Miss is one of those teams is always tricky because, like you said, they do have great traditions, and they have teams here and there they can sneak up and get you like that team did in twenty sixteen. And so I would like, I want to see how good this quarterback really is and because you know he came in there laid against Kentucky last year when they played at Georgia, and so I really want to see how good Brandon griff is. And so again with them, it's can they move the ball? Because you know the defense is going to be there. Kentucky's defense is always.
Speaker 3: Going to be good, and they bring back more starters I think than anybody in the SEC on defense. Right.
Speaker 6: I was stunned when JJ Weaver came back.
Speaker 3: So he's one of those six year guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and one of the nicest kids you've ever made.
Speaker 1: I love JJ.
Speaker 5: And so they're going to be tough on defense. With Kentucky, it's always candy. Offense moved the ball in this face. I mean they've had a different offensive coordinator now what five years in a row, something crazy like that.
Speaker 6: So you want to see what this new offense is going to do.
Speaker 5: And be honest, it's Stoop gonna let the offense be the offense and be electric because I can Stoops prefers as to run the ball.
Speaker 6: Let's be honest.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's aroused if they win six to three, Kendrick.
Speaker 6: Right exactly, and so are they.
Speaker 5: Is he gonna let this offense turn loose if they have the opportunity, because they definitely have the playmakers on the outside with those receivers, So when we see that, that's always a big question with UK.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy may be a star, the play caller, the guy they brought in from Boise, But I'm going to tell you when you're in the sec and you can pay what Kentucky can pay, and Stoops has clearly put them in a much different situation than they were in prior to him. To me, that was the kind of higher that from an outsider's perspective and maybe a little bit of a hater on my end, that's the guy you hire so you can still control the offense. I'm sorry, that's just the way I saw it, and.
Speaker 5: I feel that's kind of what it's been.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they they've had teams like even last year.
Speaker 6: I mean they've got weapons.
Speaker 5: That's the craziest part about it.
Speaker 6: They do have weapons. There's no use of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those two receivers at any points if I mean again, it's all it's going to come down to their quarterback. You know, can can he get it done? Can he make throws? And I know they had drops last year and the hype was really unreal for both Danky and Barran Brown. And I've said it a few times during the summer. If those guys at any point go off and put together a performance against anybody that looks like it was, you know, one of the best wide receiver performances you'll see on a college football Saturday, I'm not going to be surprised because I think both those guys are really, really talented.
Speaker 6: Of course, they had their best game of the season last year.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, I know, they came on late, they stopp dropping balls at uh at Elean and Cardinal Stadium. Just how, just how it's just the football gods torturing someone like myself. But uh yeah, that's thanks for reminding me, brother, Appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about your Cowboys. So obviously Ceedee Lamb gets paid and that needed to happen. I mean, goodness, gracious that guys.
Speaker 6: What's going to happen the whole time? Yeah, Dallas being.
Speaker 3: Dallas, Dallas being Dallas, well, Dak Prescott, Like I think Cowboys fans are so hot and cold on Dak, Like there's some that they're to support him for life and claim that you know, he's he's great and he's not bad. But, like I think the best way to describe dak situation with Dallas from an outsider's perspective, it just kind of seems like it's run its course. It's not to say that he's bad and then he's uncapable of being the guy. But it kind of feels like if it was gonna break through with him, it would have happened. But then again, you know, there's not that many quarterbacks out there that you know are better than him, right, he's not. He's in that weird tier for me, Kendrick, Like, he's not at the top tier, but he's better than most and that can get you paid, that can keep you around a long time. Because no, even Dallas wouldn't acknowledge this guy is as good as Mahomes or Alan or Lamar. But you know what, like he's he's better than you know, going and getting Jacoby Brisset, who's gonna start for the Patriots. So from a Dallas Cowboys fans perspective, like yourself, like what do you want to see them do here?
Speaker 5: With Dak, it's like I've been living the same It's like groundhol day when it comes to quarterback, because Dak is basically.
Speaker 6: Romo two point zero. It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 5: The only difference is that Romo would show up in big games in the regular season, yeah, which Dak doesn't.
Speaker 2: Do that Dak.
Speaker 5: Dak is great against teams that are five hundred and below, but soon as they as soon as the bright lights come on against a big time opponent, that goes into a shell.
Speaker 6: But at least Romo in the regular season they would show up.
Speaker 5: I mean they had a fourteen to two season one year and then in the playoffs when Romo.
Speaker 6: Would go into a shell. So it's the same thing over and over again. That's great for fantasy football.
Speaker 5: But with DAK, I really and truly at this point, I'm good if they go ahead and it's like, you know what, we're gonna trade him. We're gonna pull a herschel Walker and trade him, get a whole.
Speaker 6: Bunch of draft picks and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Because I do.
Speaker 5: Think he is taking them as far as he's going to take He's not.
Speaker 6: I don't feel like he's going to take them to the super Bowl. But at this point, I just like to get to the NFC Championship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I hear you, and I just don't feel like he's the man. I've been out on him as far as that goes since for two years now when they lost at when they got hammered at San Francisco, that the next year when they didn't know the rule, I'm the snapping the ball rule, and so then last year when they got housed by Green Bay, I wasn't even surprised.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, that's that's kind of what Dallas does.
Speaker 3: That's sad because like it was such a big game and you knew that they were good enough, but like when that played out the way that it did, you you probably sat there and it was sad. Kendrick just thinking, Yeah, this is this is this is this is what I signed up for as a Cowboys fan. This is the way the football gods do us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's like that every time, especially when I hate when they're hyped up, like this year though, I have a little bit of because people are.
Speaker 6: Kind of downplaying them this year.
Speaker 5: They played better when they're we have low expectations because as soon as the.
Speaker 6: Slightest expectation comes, they Dallas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the first part of the season, I do think they can seek up aust some people. I love that they got Dalvin Cook hopefully still has a little bit of the tank. So they got them for nothing and they don't really have I mean, the only person really in front of them really Zeke, and so if he can't beat out Zeke for some carriers, then.
Speaker 6: We got problems.
Speaker 5: So I do like that they're flying under the radar a little bit and so maybe, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm out on McCarthy.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he got I can't believe he got another year.
Speaker 5: I can totally see them letting him play out this year as a lame duck, then making the big splash and hiring.
Speaker 6: Bill Belichick next year because that's what.
Speaker 1: That was does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be a big splash, no doubt about that. All right. So we've been asking I've been asking the guests that have joined us this week on the show the same question as tailgating, because it's one of the best parts of college football. If Kendrick's going to be invited to the tailgate, but he has some requirements as far as what is provided at said tailgate. What are the three most important items to make sure we accommodate one Kendrick Haskins, right, And.
Speaker 5: You know, in this job, I couldn't even tell you last time, I just tailgated as a face because.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, you get to go to all the games.
Speaker 3: No, you're running, You're running the show. Now, tell Dusty to take care of it, man.
Speaker 6: Like even like he does, we still can't really call. I know, but the one point, I have to have some Indies wings.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 5: Indies wings are perfect for old tailgate. And you see, he saw my T shirt I posted on Twitter today.
Speaker 6: So it's a good brisket.
Speaker 5: Somebody else's got somebody if it's a noon game, somebody had to sit up all night the night before to make it and so and then I'm not a big beer drinker anymore, So good a nice bourbon couldn't be anything. It could be just like some O foe and I'd be good.
Speaker 3: I like it. Indies wings and a brisket that sounds like a hell of a tailgate. So again, if you guys have those accommodations, you can. You can find Kendrick usually walking through the Cardinals Stadium parking lot to go to the press box and maybe he'll see what you got and you offer him. I would be willing to bet he wouldn't turn it down. I mean, I can't speak for.
Speaker 5: Him, but I have to do a live shot. I would do it at your tailgate.
Speaker 3: There you go. You heard it here, folks. Good stuff, Kendrick. I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 3: We'll see you soon, all right, oh man, I'll see you alrighty. Take care. That's Kendrick Haskins Way three sports good stuff as always with our man, Kendrick. Quick break, we'll come back. Keep this thing rolling along right here on Sports Talks seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along about halfway through here on a Thursday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget. If you want to be part of the show, you can. Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number to give us a call. Text line Ellen N Federal Credit Union text line that is five O two six five three zero seven ninety. I'm Ny Coffee the company manage on all on alongside today, and I have some medical conditions. They aren't like super serious, but I have I have what's called I believe we double check here so sound as dumb. Yeah, I have two autoimmune diseases. Do you know what autoimmune diseases are, John, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what they are. I'm where they exist, though.
Speaker 3: It is something that will be with you forever, like and you know you can sometimes it might be bad, sometimes it might flair. No, it just happens. It just happens. So and it's something that like no matter what you know, if you test, you're gonna you're gonna have it. So I have, Uh, I'll start with the one that's doesn't sound as gross. I have psoriasis. And that's like like there's a lot of different forms of that and some people have it here and there, like I have it to where I have to take a shot every single every every other Monday morning, I take an injection of a medicine because if I don't, my body will literally look deformed. And I'm not I'm not exaggerating. I think I've shown you when I had it bad. It's I mean, I'm not exaggerating, right, Like, it's it's really really bad. So I have to do that and I'll have to do that for the rest of my life. And it sucks, But you know, I don't I look at it as a as a and there's a reason I'm getting all this. But I look at it as like, hey, I'm glad I found something because I didn't know what I had for a while or how I was gonna treat it, and now I have this medicine, and uh, I gotta get blood work done every couple months to make sure it's not, you know, giving me cancer, no joke, like that's why. That's that's why I have to get blood work done because that's what the The medicine is pretty serious stuff, but it helps me. So anyways, that's not something I like, but you know, it's life and I can treat it and I'm good. The other one that I have, same situation. I have to take medicine every single day and if I do, I'm usually good. But if not, like I'm gonna be in a lot of pain. And it's called gout and gout is a gross word, right like gout. If you don't know what gout is, and you tell somebody you have gout, they're going to back up like you're about to give them a deadly disease, and you're if you're carrying something. Then when we found out what COVID nineteen was like, gout is just a gross word. And if you have it, and you if you've had it before you know somebody that has one, you know how painful it can be. And also like you understand that, you know it's a serious thing, and you don't mean it's still a gross word.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: I remember telling people like, oh, I got gout, And I found that I had gout when I was like thirty years old, which is pretty young, I think, and they did blood work and did a bunch of you know tests, and like, now I gotta I gotta be medicated. But I remember, you know, telling a lot of it because a lot of people who have gout are holed. It's a it's a form of form of arthritis. So like when I was telling other people my age, I have gout, they don't know what it is. They don't know if I'm talking about like a deadly disease that they're gonna get or an STD like I don't know what it was. They just knew it sounded gross and they thought, Nick, you better get the hell away from me. I don't know what that is, but keep your distance. Well, it's not it's not contagious. So I've always been insecure about the gout because one, it's something unhealthy old people get, and I'm not that old. I'm not an old man and I'm not unhealthy.
Speaker 2: I like here, and you call it the gout, so just gout.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the gau little I got it, I mean because I got it, so you know, Uh, I take medicine every day and I'm great, but I've always been insecure about those health issues because I'm a pretty healthy person. But I have two auto imune diseases that I will have for the rest of my life and I'll have to take care of and medicate and I'll be okay, and that's fine, but it was you know, when I had when I got and I got both of them at the same time, which, by the way, I don't know my doctor is full of crap or not. But when you get if you have one autoimmune disease, there's a good chance you're gonna have two just because of your body. So my immune system is really really weak because of the medicine that I take for the psoriasis, with the injections to here like like my body like luckily, I stay pretty healthy, but I don't have a good immune system when it comes to getting sick and stuff. So anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I finally think I have heard of a disease conditions sickness that I don't know what it is or how serious it is, but it sounds worse than galth. Can I tell you what this is? Tell me sloth fever, sloth fever. There is sloth fever detected in Jefferson County. It's called the Oropochi virus, but slow fever is what is is what it is referred to. And I I heard this yesterday from the one and the Only, Paul Miles, the hardest working man in show business, on news radio eight forty WHS. Because it is newsworthy that the first case of sloth fever has been reported in Jefferson County. Wolf Metro Department of Health and Wellness announced on Wednesday that a Jefferson County resident was diagnosed with the virus. Health officials said that the person has recently traveled with Cuba. They said the infected person had mild symptoms and is recovering. So if you're asking what this is, it's a arthropod born virus primarily transmitted to humans through the bite of of infected insects called midges. It can also be transmitted through mosquitoes, although that is less common. Symptoms are fever, headache, chills, body aches, joint pain. So this virus has been reported in parts of Southern America, South America, Central America and the Caribbean, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru, Columbia, and also Cuba, and apparently there are eight thousand cases this year, which is very high. Like it's a very rare thing that has now become a little bit more common. And there have been a handful of cases in the United States, and I mean literally very few, and one of them is in fact here in Jefferson County. So yeah, only twenty one currently have been diagnosed with this in America and they all have come from being in either Cuba or Brazil, and one of them is right here in Jefferson County.
Speaker 4: So is this something that's supposed to be contagious. I feel like if it were, it'd be a lot more widespread than what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't, say I mean, let me just do a little quick, such a quick little Yeah, I don't, it's not doesn't there's nothing in this rite up about it that says that it's that it's contagious. But let's see what a quick is sloth fever contagious. Humans are have been have become infected while visiting forested areas and are believed to be responsible for helping the virus make its way to towns and cities. But person a person transmission hasn't been documented, so it's just you get it from bugs and insects, those damn bud Yeah, so like they brought it back, but like they're not going to spread it. So I guess that's it's not as alarming. And yeah, you go to CBS News right now, one of their top stories from yesterday is what is slow fever? Because it's now spreading in America? So when I look at the symptoms, here, let's see if I can I just read them. Here we go the symptoms of sloth fever fever, headache, chills, body aches, and joint pain. I'm biased. I think telling somebody you have slow fever sounds worse than telling somebody you have goup, even if you don't know what either are. Saw fever sounds worse.
Speaker 4: Right if somebody told me I had sloth fever. I would think I have a chance in not making it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I mean trust me when I'm not.
Speaker 2: Knowing what it is. I mean I know what it is now, obviously not knowing beforehand.
Speaker 3: Oh I my life flashed before my eyes. When my doctor told me I had gout. I thought, I guess, I guess that's it for me at thirty years old. I'm like, oh, I had a good run. I had a good run, man three decades, and the gout got me. But I'm better now. So the symptoms are not bad. When you have gout flare up and if you know, you know you can't walk like you wake up throbbing pain. You have certain like to a touch of the skin where your gout flare up is like in your feet or your hands, your joints, because it's a form of arthritis. If you really want me to get technical, what it is is uric acid crystals build up inside your your joints and like to the touch, like you can't bend them. I went to the doctor thinking I broke my foot. Didn't have anything happened, but like, I guess somehow I broke my foot freak accident. Couldn't move couldn't walk, which, by the way, it was when we moved into our when when this happened, it was we were moving and I can't walk. I called into work. I took a day off the show, and uh, I felt like such a worthless piece of crab now because just A had goalp But I had people over my house helping move and I was just sitting around with a bum wheel, couldn't move because I had the gollup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd feel the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, I I thought I had a broken foot, and they did an X ray because usually somebody my age would not have gout. And then they like, do you drink a lot? And I'm like, what's a lot? You know what your what's your diet like? And I'm like, it's not great, but I don't eat a lot of red meat. So like red meat. It used to be called the King's disease because back in you know, many many, many many centuries ago, you would eat red meat and drink wine if you were like it used to be if you were fat. Back in the day, it meant you were balling. You had money because you could eat you know what I mean. It was cool to be fat because it meant you were you were a king, and they used to call it the king's disease because it became known. Whenever, you know, they would just eat red wine and red meat and that's how you get it. So I was in my own head when that happened, because I thought like, man, how did this happen to me? But you know, I'm good now. But I do feel like I don't have to be as embarrassed to say gout because I at least I don't have to go say slow fever. But again, I'm just from the conditions. I can tell you slow fever. What are the symptoms here? It's it's not even as bad as a bad gout. Can you die from slow fever? Let's do a quick Google search. Wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true. It says here. Some patients suffer recurring symptoms, and one in twenty can suffer more severe symptoms like bleeding meningitis. It is rarely fatal, though there are recent reports of deaths and two healthy young people in Brazil. So that's enough to scare me to where I don't want to go to Brazil or Cuba and get sloth fever.
Speaker 2: What if you turned into a sloth, that'd be really wild.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I don't have a big brain upstairs, but like when I heard the report yesterday about sloth fever, I'm thinking, all right, like are they going to turn into a sloth? I mean I can be the only one that thought that when I had But also I think you could say sloth fever and people would think you're making up a virus like it's but it's but it's a real thing, and it's you know, it's it's scary. Anyone else is really scary?
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: In in our neighborhood, or at least surrounding our neighborhood, there have been foxes that have gotten loose. Oh wow, And uh that happens every now and then in the rural area that is Bullet County, and there's a lot of open I mean, like Zonting is where I is where I live in that area, and I live in a neighborhood that isn't as rule, but you know the majority of that area back there is just you know, land and people who have houses. They have a house on a on a lot of land. So uh, the Facebook group for that area they've been people have been taking pictures of this fox. They've seen it in their backyard, they've seen it on their back deck, and it looks like it's possessed. And it turns out it has mange, which is like a skin disease that affects fo that affects is these kind of animals. It's I mean, it's I mean, they look so sad and like they look like they're zombies. They look like they're walking dead animals. It's so sad and really gross. But it reminded me of the main, Like the.
Speaker 2: Is it deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like there's I guess it's the same. Yeah, mange like a main Have you ever seen that? Their eyes get green? They literally look like I mean, it's it's I mean, to be honest with it scares the hell out of me just looking at these pictures of these deers that have mange, and uh, there's something there's another form of like something they get where they just they become infected to where they're just like it.
Speaker 2: Looks like their bodies just disappearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like possessed. So stay safe out there, folks, And you know, if you have the sloth fever godspeed, well wishes. It sounds like if you just you know, rest up, you're gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: That's what slaws through, right, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know much about sloths, but you know I could, I could point went out if I saw one. Come on, now, people are giving me a hard time on the text line about slow fever, like I can't be the only one who hurts somebody on a new station reference sloth fever and for a minute, think it meant that somebody might turn into a sloth. I mean, is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard? I've said dumber today?
Speaker 2: Probably? Maybe?
Speaker 3: All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, and we're gonna get into tonight's matchups in college football. Not a lot of great games, but I think John and I are on the same page as far as which game we want to wager around. We'll talk about that on the other side. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton right here on Sports Talk seven ninety so when it comes to tonight's slate of college football action, I mean, the one the only game that features two Power five Power four now opponents. Unless I'm just missing one is the Minnesota North Carolina game. I mean, obviously Rutgers plays, but they're playing Howard, NC State's playing an FCS team.
Speaker 2: You've got playing an FCS team, and.
Speaker 3: Colorado playing an FCS team. Although that game is intriguing obviously because of the Deon Sanders factor, but also because is it North Dakota State. Yes, they're usually pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: So they've beaten FBS teams before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Colorado favored about ten and a half. I'm not touching that game, but man, I think one of the sports books tweeted this out, or maybe it was just somebody who is heavily into the sports gambling space on Twitter that the app that is Twitter or I guess now X would melt if Colorado lost tonight, and man, I'm here for it. I don't see it happening, but man, wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 2: It would be awesome.
Speaker 3: So Carolina is favored on the road at Minnesota, and I don't get it. And this has nothing to do with me, just you know, acknowledging that the SECS or the ACC is not a good league and needs to be better. But like Minnesota is at home.
Speaker 2: PJ.
Speaker 3: Fleck did have a down year last year, but I just like Carolina. I mean, they're gonna be bad this year. I mean, let's let's start with Carolina here, because I mean Mac Brown him. I mean, there's been hype for Mac Brown every year he's been there, and he's never delivered, and he's had an NFL quarterback to work with, and they just never have broke through. And they occasionally will light up the scoreboard, look good offensively, but then they'll lose to teams. I just feel like, and this is somebody just basing it off of the times I've wagered on them, but also the results do back it up a little bit. Carolina has been like one of the most inconsistent teams I can think of in the last four or five years. I mean, they were eight and five last year, nine and five, the year before six and seven. The year before that they went eight and four during the COVID season. Year before that they were seven and six. So I mean, they're never terrible, but like this year they might be terrible. I mean, they're gonna have to replace Drake May. They brought in Max Johnson, who's been an LSU and at A and M and he wasn't good enough at either to keep the job. So I mean, I I don't get it, Like I.
Speaker 4: Don't know a ton about Minnesota either, but when I look at what they've got that they're gonna be playing QB Max Brosmere. He's a six year transfer from New Hampshire. He's formerly passing yards leader. Yeah, so I'm assuming they'll have a pretty good offense.
Speaker 3: I mean, just looking at Carolina, I mean, their momentum with mac Brown has kind of run its course. Like they had signed three straight top fifteen recruiting classes from twenty to twenty twenty two, and now the last two classes have fallen outside the top thirty and they did eight in the portal but nothing special. They do bring back an All American running back in Amori and Hampton, which is good, but other than that, I mean, I just don't see them being like I could see them having a big drop off this year. They ended up yeah, I mean I think last year. Yeah, they lost three straight games by double digits to come to end the season last year. So they've got I mean, and again that's a year ago, but they don't have a lot of momentum here and the quarterback they brought in again, has never been good enough to keep a job at a Power five school. He's certainly not going to be Drake May. And you know the portal. I mean they brought in some dudes. I mean they brought in fact two quarterbacks. They can't play both of them. They've got the running back Darwin Barlow from USC but again he's gonna be playing behind their All American. I I it's not like Carolina's favored against an elite team because Minnesota. Just looking at this game earlier today, I knew they took a little bit of a step back last year with PJ Fleck in the Big Ten. I didn't realize that they really struggled that badly. I mean they ended up going with three and six in the Big Ten. I think, so seven losses overall, they were six and seven, you know, three and six, Yeah, three and six in the Big Ten. So I just I think they're gonna be at home. They're gonna have some home field advantage. And maybe I'm wrong here, but I think if you are a four year quarterback, a veteran guy, and yeah, the FCS is not the Big Ten of the ACC or anything like that, but you know what you're doing. And I feel like they're gonna get better at quarterback this year with this guy, even though he is coming from the FCS level. So I mean, with it being now Carolina minus one and a half, I mean Minnesota money line is I mean, it sounds like a band, doesn't it. That's the move Minnesota money line. They're playing a night at uh maybe the Railroad. Yeah, the opening act of the Palace for a Grand Funk Railroad. Minnesota money line. So uh, I mean, you're the big ten guy. I know you're You're I mean, you're with me on this with Minnesota. We both came to this conclusion that we like Minnesota tonightout even talking through it until we got to the show today. But is it more so based off of Minnesota or more so based off of like Carolina. You just don't think they're good because for me, I can be honest with you, it's more about Carolina, And I agree with you.
Speaker 4: And I think maybe a lot of this is just assuming they'll maybe transition a little bit better from Drake May than maybe some might think. But I mean, and maybe they will, who knows, But these Week one games they could be tough. You don't know a lot about any of the teams, and you're really just basing it off of hypeen and potential.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and this Rutgers team, I'm sorry, not Rutgers, Minnesota. They return four or five starters on the offensive line. They have a new defensive coordinator, which they needed to because their defense took a really big, really big step back last year. And it is worth noting that the new DC for Minnesota PJ Flex guy is Corey Heatherman. Do you know that name?
Speaker 2: It sounds familiar, but I don't know where he's from.
Speaker 3: Signetti Coatentree, Okay, was the DC at James Madison from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty one when they made that awesome transition from FCS to FBS, and then the last two seasons he has been the linebackers coach at Rutgers. And hey, let me tell you this, if you're getting a big ten promotion working under Greg Ciano at Rutgers, who, by the way, I mean weird to prop up Rutgers, but Greg Ciano is a hell of a coach defensively, and I think him getting that job at Minnesota kind of speaks to the reputation that he probably has is at an up and coming defensive coordinator. So we're rolling with the Gophers tonight, Baby Golden Gophers. That's right, Minnesota. And yeah, it would be another bad look for the ACC, but who cares. I mean, like, I'm not going to make wagers based off my hope that the ACC one day isn't an embarrassing conference. I want to make money and that's where we're making money tonight, at least, you know, that's what I hope happens. All right to five o'clock hours coming up next, and I hope you guys will stick with us here because we're going to finish strong on a Thursday coffee and company fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety