Speaker 1: Minnesota Goodbye on KATIEWB. Let's get started with the emails, because that is usually the heart of the Minnesota goodbye. I just have to open up the right window and here we go. Let's try this one. I was listening to the podcast I want to give my opinion on location tracking now. Yesterday during the show, I was talking about how my boy Kerson, he's twenty three years old, and we follow him on an app called Life three sixty, which I think is a free app. There's probably a paid version, but I follow him and he's on this tour with Thomas Day and they're going around the South and they're going to go up to Boston and across to Minneapolis and Colorado, and it's a big tour on a bus. But that's not why I follow him. I followed him for years because he lives in LA and people are like, oh god, you can't follow him, you can't track him. I said, he doesn't really mind. And I said, I don't follow my daughter Beth. I don't follow my son Chase or my daughter Allison because they have their partners, they have their own they have a partner that I feel is like, Okay, there's their safety net. But Carson doesn't have a partner. If he had a wife or a girlfriend or a partner, then I'd be like, oh, okay, well he doesn't need me as much. But without that person, I follow him and it gives me peace of mind. Now, yesterday on the show, people said that's either terrible, but a lot of adults called then and said, yeah, I got a twenty five year old daughter. She lives in you know, Fort Myers, and I follow her all the time. So and you guys both looked at each other like, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's sus to me, but like, I mean, you play your case and it made sense.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I see both sides.
Speaker 4: We're not parents, so we don't understand like that perspective. I just would never be probably okay with my parents following me. I do, however, in certain situations let people know. Like if I'm going on a hike, I like text my sister and I'm like, I'm leaving now, I'll tell you when I'm back and stuff. And one time we were on the Tetons and we went on a longer hike than we anticipated and she like, I get back in service range and she's like, hello, are you alive freaking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, totally, this person says. I'm thirty three and my parents and I share our locations with each other. I live in San Francisco now and they are in Minnesota. I don't think it's the worst thing at all, and I know my parents like the peace of mind when we aren't checking in with each other. I normally call my mom every day to chat regardless. I think that's very sweet. It's a perk of modern technology. I have my boyfriend and about ten other friends' locations too. It's nice to have. If I try to get a hold of somebody and they don't answer, I can see why, or see that they're home, or picking each other up, or timing dinner for my boyfriend birthday surprises, somebody's on their way, et cetera. I know a lot of people text it in about the same thing, but I wanted to share love y'all. Listen to you every day on the podcast Love from San Francisco. In parentheses. I'm out walking and there's no poop in sight. All right. That's from Kelsey Jensen and San Francisco. So cool that. Yeah, parents used to parents live here in Minnesota, so Kelsey's from here but now listens in San Francisco, so super cool. Another one, Hello everybody, Kaylee again your favorite email or listener? Duh, I'll make it short and sweet. I get a burning question for Dave since he is the resident literary genius and has written books like Little Dave's Amazing Day and take a Shower, show up on time, and don't steal anything, Slay, I was wondering if you could spill some tea on the writing process. How does one gun go from star staring at a blank page to holding a published book? And how do you even know what's interesting enough to write about? Maybe Jenny and Bailey could share some insight too on what things about a book would draw them in as readers as well. I'm ready to unleash my inner author, but i feel totally clueless. Any tips, tricks, or funny stories would be amazing. Thanks a ton. That's all for today, all right from Kaylee. Well, Kaylee, I would say this might sound a little bit harsh, but unless your brain is brimming with ideas, it is okay to not have a book in you. So I think that sometimes we couldn't do a radio show if we weren't brimming with ideas. And some of the ideas are good and some of them are bad, and some need some fine tuning, and some we go, eh, let's not do that one. But I think unless your brain is really overflowing with ideas for your book, it's okay to not have a book in you yet. Maybe not yet, but I think you have to have something. You have to have a message that you want to get out. And mine was, you know, just telling these stories. My first book was just telling these stories over the years and people responding and going, oh, that's some really good advice, like you know, stop at lemonade stands, or don't borrow money and don't lend money. These are things that I've told over the years, and I thought, oh, well, I'm going to put them all into a book. And I had I think I targeted to get one hundred and one of these stories. Ries sure, and I did. When it came to the kid's book, we did an assignment on the show about five years ago where we all wrote Me, Fallon and Steve and maybe Jenny. We all wrote a kid's book, and then we had a child's author on the show to judge which one was the best that sounds one.
Speaker 3: Did Dave win?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I won?
Speaker 4: It was only me, you and a Falin at the time. Okay, I'll be honest. I don't remember what Falon's book was about, but mine was about a little brought or hot dog or something that was scared of nighttime. And so he overcame his fears.
Speaker 2: I forget what it was so scared of hot dog to be a hot dog scared of nighttime?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and see, you know what you could turn it into. You could turn it into a book. I will give you a caution about writing a book. And I get people asking me probably once every two weeks, how do you write a book? Well, there are a couple of tips I would give you. Number one, finding a publisher is ridiculous. It is very difficult. And I wrote a book, was working on it, had it about eighty percent dime about twenty years ago, called What It's Like, and it was all about what it's like to have cancer, what it's like to be in a tornado, what it's like to win the power ball, what it's like to be on a game show, what it's like to I talked to Buzz Aldrin. What it's like to walk on the moon, what it's like to have a number one hit song? And I had some publishers that were interested, but none would commit to it, so I put it kind of on the back burner for a while. I'm watching the Today Show one morning on a Sunday and there was these two guys who'd written a book. Now, remember my book was going to be called what What's It Like? Two authors were on with a book that called what it Feels Like? Ooh, And I thought, either and I'm not going to blame anybody, because it's my own fault for not getting the book out there. And I thought, did these two authors hear about my book through their friend in the publishing business, and they had the power and the resources to do it, and they did it ahead of me.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking it up. It is exactly what you described.
Speaker 2: What it feels like to walk on the moon, to die, to be bitten by a shark, to be shot in the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so I'm not accusing them of anything, because I'm just not. I mean, good for them for getting off their ass and actually doing it. And it could have been absolutely organic. But there's always been a part of me that's like, God, you dumbass, you were right there with a very marketable book. Here's my problem. I don't have publishing connections. So what you do is you do self publishing. There's a publishing company here in town. They're called why zinc wys I in k and they will walk you through everything to the cover, to the artwork, to the cost, whether you want to softcover, hardcover, whatever. Here's the last thing I'll say about it. If you don't have a built in audience, you're not going to sell more than fifteen or twenty copies. And that's just the way it is. I have a built in audience because we're on a big old radio station like KATIWB. If I wasn't on the radio, I would have written take a shower, and I would have sold fifteen copies if I was lucky.
Speaker 3: Is that why you put your face on it too? Is that? Like, is there a reason that you put like your face on the cover.
Speaker 1: My face on the cover to show that it's a fun book. Because it's a fun I mean, I don't have a copy around here right now, but if you if you look at it, what'd you say?
Speaker 3: It's behind me right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because okay, thank you, Bailey. It's right behind me. I think I didn't want it to come across as preachy and I wanted to be fun. So there's a cartoony kind of a drawing of me on the front. But I know somebody who they wrote a book about dating in middle age, like forty five year old dating life, and they really thought that they would become a speaking author and touring and best selling and speaking at conventions, and they sold about fifteen copies and they were heartbroken. They really thought that this was going to be their things. Kind of like a podcast. So many people start a podcast and they do I think I read somewhere that most podcasts do one episode and they never do another one because they look at the numbers and they go, I had six listens.
Speaker 2: You know. It would be kind of fun, though, starting a podcast where you listen to the podcast that only have one episode and then you talk about whole episode, brilliant read write it down.
Speaker 3: I could.
Speaker 4: My trainer and her co founder of this gym, they had started a podcast like three or four years ago, bought all the equipment, put in the time whatever. They did like two or three episodes, and they were like yeah, it's not for us, and so they just have the equipment sitting around and they were like, yeah, we've got enough going on, we don't need to do a podcast too.
Speaker 1: I think that is very common. There's one. I can't find it right now, but a friend of mine that I used to know in Ohio, she has a knitting podcast and she's done one episode and she said, hey, I started a podcast and I listened to it, and she has a beautiful podcast delivery because podcasters kind of talk a little bit more in a different way than radio people do, with a little less energy, because it's kind of more one on one and I don't know, I hope she does more, but just.
Speaker 3: One, because is it about what's a knitting?
Speaker 1: Knitting? I don't know what do they talk about.
Speaker 3: You said you listen to it.
Speaker 1: I listened to I'll be honest, I listened to part of it. I didn't listen to the whole Thing's sine Okay, So anyway, Kayleie, good luck. Remember you're going to write, you should be brimming with ideas. Find a self publishing and do it for your own satisfaction. You're probably not going to make a career out of it.
Speaker 2: I feel like, also, if you have any other friends that are interested in writing or doing any kind of like creating of any kind, see if you can like hang out with those people and all work together. Because I'm like a huge I'm a huge like advocate for body doubling. Where you go and you do the same thing as the other people in the room, because you're more likely to get work done if you're all doing the same thing and working towards the same goal. So go like write in you know, like where you go to a coffee shop and there are other people like writing on their laptops.
Speaker 1: But not together as a team.
Speaker 3: Well you could do it together as a team.
Speaker 2: Like if you have other friends who want to write books or write a play or something, just hang out with those friends and then you'll be like holding each other accountable because that person's typing, So you're like, oh, I better be typing and you'll get more work done that way.
Speaker 1: Body doubling is body doubling, Yeah, not a real thing. Yeah, next one, Tanya writes in first of all, I cannot believe you actually read my email. I didn't know someone could be so starstruck going through an email while sitting in their own apartment. My palms are literally sweating. Secondly, you're choosing to read my email on the Minnesota Goodbye. Oh my word, this makes learning hard to send all the fan mail in the nineties to be with and in sync with no reply, I may add, so worth it now that I've been emailed by by Minnesota's local celebrities, can I just say that you should do a podcast like the Minnesota Goodbye, sharing stories from over the years, having old show members, guest appear on the show and etc. Once you retire from KTWB. Not I want that to happen anytime soon. I would absolutely listen. That is from Tanya in Moundsview, Minnesota. I actually am going to start a podcast before I retire about some of the history of KTWB. And I've talked about this and I think I did an introductory kind of a bookmark podcast and it might be on Dave ryanshow dot com.
Speaker 3: The last time we checked it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not even sure where to look, but under the podcast section.
Speaker 4: Not because I just had our digital guy clean up that area and it wasn't on.
Speaker 3: There then, And not.
Speaker 1: Well we are short staffed.
Speaker 3: Well, do you have a title for it. Is it a working title?
Speaker 1: Yes, I would have to look. Let me see if I can find it.
Speaker 2: I know, I think you're in your plan to have Lee Volsmick on as like a guest at some point.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And I don't see it right now, but I did have Yeah. I don't want to sit here and during the podcast.
Speaker 3: Go it's something.
Speaker 1: But it was something like the history of like Hits and Missus. I think it was called Hits and Missus, the history of KWB of some of the things we've done, like concerts, like one of the hidden stories of KTBB. We've talked about Last Chance Summer Dance and Basstery Boys many times. But on the thirty fifth anniversary of KBDB, we're gonna have a giant concert at Target Center to celebrate the thirty fifth anniversary of KTBB. And the lineup was what we thought was huge, the Bgs, Luther vandros Tony, Tony Tony and somebody else and I can't remember who. And we put the tickets on sale, and within a couple of days we realized nobody was buying these tickets. So the thirty fifth anniversary concert of KBDB never happened. And then there was the Star Party that got canceled a couple of years ago as well, So there are some things that we can definitely talk about. So yeah, thanks for the idea, but that is something we're going to work on and that is going to kind of do it for the Minnesota Goodbye for today, anything you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Love.
Speaker 1: I really love doing the Minnesota Goodbye. And we've mentioned that some people like this is their I don't say guilty pleasure, but if they missed the show, they'll listen to the Minnesota Goodbye because that's like it's an easier listen. It's like, you know, fifteen minutes or whatever. But if you listen to the whole show and the Minnesota Goodbye, we appreciate you for whatever you do. Would really love to hear you, hear your email and double get that on tomorrow. I'm just rambling. I'm gonna shut up now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're doing a show at katiewb dot com.
Speaker 1: Jenny, We'll see you tomorrow