Speaker 1: JV's going to tell us how he and his daughter have prepared for her trip to Iceland, which I want to hear more about, which sounds like a great place to visit.
Speaker 2: JB.
Speaker 1: I'll tell us about it in just a second, but real quick. There's something going on this all this weekend. You might want to get out and check it out. I've actually been to it. It's a lot of fun. It is the Austin Greek Festival.
Speaker 2: This is happening this weekend. If you want to get out and we have great food, great fun.
Speaker 1: If you want to dance sorority girls.
Speaker 2: Not that one.
Speaker 1: This is living the Greek life that's going on at the Transfiguration.
Speaker 2: Greek Orthodox Church.
Speaker 1: It starts Friday at eleven goes till Sunday at ten o'clock. Maybe I have a soft spot for these types of festivals. I grew up going to these types of church festivals as a kid. There was every parish would have a different festival and it was always fun and we'd wait until the last night at the festival. At One of the best ones was at Saint Peter and Paul was which was mostly Italian people, and at the end of the Sunday night they had would have all these Italian sausage and peppers and stuff left over, and they would sell them to us for like a quarter.
Speaker 2: You know, we would sit there and eat like ten of them.
Speaker 3: At the end of the festival, Sandy just waiting for the sausage.
Speaker 2: I have to go.
Speaker 1: And it was amazing how the parish priest always won the car giveaway.
Speaker 4: It's always weird how that happened, very very very priest down it.
Speaker 1: Jabie's daughter quite the world traveler. She's been to New Zealand recently. Now she's off to Iceland and you guys wanted to figure out what's going on in Iceland.
Speaker 2: Tell everyone how you did it.
Speaker 3: I know she's very adventurous and I like that, and I encourage her to do it. She loves traveling, and I'm like, yeah, she's twenty three years old, by the way, and I was like, you know, in my twenties, I was addicted to work. All I did was work, work, work, work, work, and then all of a sudden you wake up and you're in your forties and you go, wait, when happened. It can happen pretty easily, So I encourage her to travel she loves it. She is going going with her boyfriend and their family, and I say boyfriend loosely. They're kind of not sure where they are right now, but they're going on the trip together anyway, let's leave it at that. And they had planned this for like, I don't know, six months, and so I was like, she was asking me about Iceland. I'd like, I have no idea, but it's just and this is what I'm about to say is probably so obvious a lot of you are going to sit there and go duh. But I was like, well, let's watch some travel shows on YouTube. And then I'm like, you tend to go grab your laptop and pop it open, right right, And I'm like, oh, well, why don't we just watch these on the YouTube app on our big screen TV. And it's I was shocked at how many really well produced, good YouTube travel shows there are, like, not network shows, not travel networks, just people YouTubers up here. Ten things you got to do in Iceland, right and then and then of course the algorithm takes you to the next one, and the next one and the next one. We just sat there and watched all these tourism shows on Iceland and she just sat there and kind of made her list. You know, it's gonna be a lot of hiking and hot springs and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's a huge volcano there, right, Yeah, that and there's a lot of hot springs that the water table has been heated by them because of the volcano.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then you know, some of the people just say it's the most one of the most beautiful places they've ever been, Right, but then the weather, the weather can be really dicey in May, like you don't know if it could be forty degrees or eighty degrees one day to the next.
Speaker 5: So is she gonna make sure she tries to see the northern lights?
Speaker 3: I think that's on the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They I mean they're gonna be there. It's like a ten day trip, well a couple of days in Boston, but but anyhow, it's just like, I guess the point is, I just didn't think of using YouTube that way, that we would all just sit around and watch shows together on YouTube.
Speaker 1: YouTube shows, right, and has what I always wonder what the travel shows, like, how do these people get money to go do this? Like I would love to have a bunch of money to go make a travel show about Iceland.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're banking on enough views to pay for it.
Speaker 2: That's not a smart business plan.
Speaker 6: And then if they get enough views, then they get sponsors who pay for them to do the travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is believing. We've had a couple of encounters with influencers. Yeah, when like, because so my daughter has a wake surf school and we've had a couple of people go, uh, yeah, do you have do you have any programs for influencers And you're like, uh.
Speaker 5: No, we actually charge them more.
Speaker 3: They expect things for free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them expect they call you want to do it for free because they're an influencer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what usually shuts them up because they'll go, well, you know, i've got five hundred thousand instagrams, sscribers or TikTok or whatever. They go, just tell him, show me a post of something you promoted. Then you know that you've got a hookup on and show me the results it got. And they can't produce one. They have a general subscribership of junk users. But yeah, you know, if they share something they did, you go, you've only got twenty likes like, how am I going to convert that into business? So it's very annoying.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember reading an article about like some hotels somewhere was they got a huge issue with people calling them all the time to do make content, but they didn't want to pay for the room or the spa or whatever. We had an experience ab with a guy's a travel guy travel show, a Texas travel show, and we were at the spot that he was doing the story on and I introduced myself and visited and stuff, and you know, gave him a business card and was like.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'd love to have you on the radio show.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, Trisha, were you call and try to book this guy on the radio show? You think we were trying to get George Clooney on the show.
Speaker 4: I was like, we're good, yeah, never mind, never exactly example, you're too difficult, No, thank you, We're done, goodbye.
Speaker 2: And that was the end of that.
Speaker 3: So well, I hope she has a great I guess who that is?
Speaker 2: Off the air? How's that? Okay, you'll guess?
Speaker 1: I think you probably now is this a backpacking trip or is this? You know, how are they doing it?
Speaker 3: It's just they are going to do a lot of hiking, and she loves hiking really except for that time we sent her to a wilderness program.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she has a lot of experience.
Speaker 3: She was very mad about it at the time. Now she reflects fondly on her lover of nature. It took a minute to get there. Oh, she's going to kick you in the growing and she laughs about it. Now, she laughs about it. I have another friend whose son went to that twice.
Speaker 2: Actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she jokes that she was the strongest hiker, so she'd have to carry all the pots and pans. They just be clanking her and they'd be gone. They'd be gone for weeks at a time.
Speaker 1: All right, Austin is we're real good at complaining about things that are going away. I mean, Austin Knight's are really really good at that. And there's another one that's going away. But I'm kind of on the other side of it. I'm like, okay, whatever, we'll get to it in just a second. I got a first effort thing happened to me with Amazon. Thought i'd seen it all with Amazon. Got a message from them it said, hey, your item might be lost. Thanks, So I clicked on the thing and it said you want to cancel this or get a refund? Yes, click, and they go, well, not so fast. It might not be that lost. We might be able to find it. I'm like, that's weird, all right. It's first time ever for Amazon. Of all this stuff I've ever ordered, they've never lost anything. It's not a big deal. It's a stupid little thing that it cleans the inside of your window on your car. It's on a little stick and it's got a microfiber thing and you just kind of like a squeegee.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds like an INSTA got me as I call.
Speaker 2: It, and.
Speaker 5: I one so cool. He's jealous of mine?
Speaker 2: You can borrow mine, cdy No, no, no, I don't like to borrow things from.
Speaker 5: Treesture because she don't give him back.
Speaker 2: And then and if it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Come back exactly like you took it from her, she throws a fit.
Speaker 5: As if that's incorrect.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't expect my item back exactly the way I gave it to you.
Speaker 5: Why are you making it sound like that's crazy?
Speaker 2: Because you're my wife and I should be able to do what I want.
Speaker 5: You have to complain about me?
Speaker 3: Rub out the people that borrow stuff, and then you have to get resort to asking for your own thing back.
Speaker 2: I've got the set me off.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I've got the ultimate story about that. So my neighbor when we lived in Valente, my neighbor, I'm calling out.
Speaker 2: His name's Darryl. Daryl borrowed my chainsaw.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's preface this by saying, Darryl is it's a perfect candidate to live.
Speaker 5: In a cult.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like what's mine is yours, and what yours is mine.
Speaker 1: It's like community property is. And so I let him borrow my chainsaw. And you know, six eight weeks go by and I see Darrel. I go, hey, Darryl, can I get my chainsaw back? He goes why, And I go why, Well, I mean cause it's it's my chainsaw. He goes, what do you have a project you're working on? I go no, He goes, well, why do you need it back?
Speaker 5: It's like it's just down at my house.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, it's just down at my house.
Speaker 1: You can come here. No sense to him. Yeah, He's like, you can just come down and get it whenever you want. I go, darl you don't understand I bought the chainsaw. I want it in my garage so I don't have to come down to your house.
Speaker 3: This is a sore subject.
Speaker 2: Twenty years ago. I'm still mad about it.
Speaker 5: I just said, here we go the nerve.
Speaker 1: To think that I want to want something that belongs to me under my roof.
Speaker 6: But in Darryl's mind, again, perfect candidate for a cult. He's like, but you know where it is, and it's right there, and you can use it, and I can use it, and fill across the street can use it.
Speaker 5: And it's over one big happy family. That's literally what his thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how he is. That's the way I should have known it too.
Speaker 1: But anyway, let's talk about the closing, the least ending of the Museum of ice.
Speaker 5: Cream in the domain.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: A lot of headlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must be slow news. Have you ever been Nope, didn't even know we had one.
Speaker 3: Didn't know we had one there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've made plans three different.
Speaker 6: Times over the last I don't know, four or five years to go with our daughter, and two at the times they were sold out, to get sold out. And when I've been in the domain, every time I walked past, if the line was out the door. So it's a big deal. And I never actually made it inside.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I guess I don't knowunderstand why is is Austin a hotspot for ice cream?
Speaker 2: I know Amy's is a big deal.
Speaker 6: Amy's has something in their bluebell a bunch of local ice creamries. It's like it's just like a mysterious ice cream that's from Bluebelt. It's just a tip of the hat to how much everybody loves ice cream, and the kids go nuts. There's like a huge sprinkle pool, you know how you have a ballpit?
Speaker 3: Do they probably? I can't remember doing this as a kid and thinking it was cool. It was like making ice cream from scratch with ice and solid and.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if kids today would do that, I'd be like, they.
Speaker 2: Would go trust me.
Speaker 6: We made it all the time at my grandparents ranch. And my grandfather would refuse to have an electric ice cream maker. Yeah, take cranking it or else. He wouldn't eat it. He's like, no, if we're doing it, we're doing it the right way.
Speaker 3: It was better that way, though. The vanilla would come out more like Amy's Mexican vanilla.
Speaker 5: Oh, had some strawberries on it. That's the best combo.
Speaker 2: We had rock salt to it. What did that do?
Speaker 5: Something about helping it freeze or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it helps it get to a cooler temperature.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not in the ice cream. It's on the outside.
Speaker 3: Right, you had to pour the rock salt on there and elsa. Maybe it's the opposite. I don't know. It does something to the texture of it.
Speaker 2: I don't Yeah, but the.
Speaker 3: Thing is, yeah, there's this big public outcry that it's closing. None of us have been right. This is so awesten to never go do something and then all complain when it goes away.
Speaker 5: Be sad.
Speaker 3: We always do this. Ye, like when Shady Grove closed and people were all crying about it. I go, when's the last time you went.
Speaker 5: To it.
Speaker 6: It's hard to get to it, hard to park, but I've had comfort knowing it was there, right.
Speaker 3: Thread Gills is gone. You know Janis Joplin used to play there. I go, that's probably the last time you went?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You used to say this when when the jazz station would go away and there'd be there'd be this public outcry, and go did just support it?
Speaker 2: Right, did you listen to No?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: It was there, right, just like the comfort of knowing that's where it was.
Speaker 1: It's weird how we get worked up about things that we don't support and they go away, and then we get mad that they go away.
Speaker 6: But then there's a few things that people that the moment that they hear any kind of a whisper that it might go away, people freak out and like chain themselves to trees like Peter Pan Golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they keep getting extensions. Remember when El Patio was going to close and then people stepped in and bought it. That was people were ready to chain themselves to that place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Sandy was going to chain himself to Dirty Martins.
Speaker 3: But again, I've never been to El Patio.
Speaker 5: Oh it's really so long since I've been.
Speaker 3: Never been, and I haven't been to Dirty Martins. And man definitely pre Covid I.
Speaker 2: Go for about the last three years.
Speaker 1: I go about once a month because I have to go downtown for something and it's like I don't know ten blocks away, so I always duck in.
Speaker 2: There and have a burger.
Speaker 3: That's one that's a place that people continue to support. Yeah, in my opinion, right, but you never know who's going to be in there. I know I took it was before COVID, so it was probably at least five years ago. My dad was in town. He lives here now, he's visiting. Said, man, where can you get a good flat grill burger? Like that's what he grew up on. And you don't see that as much anymore, flat grill burger. They're more broiled. And I was like, oh, have you never had dirties? Oh? So I took him to Dirty Martin's and I said, I said, just wait, you never know what legendary longhorn you might see here, somebody legendary. And sure enough we're sitting there, and then Ed Clemens walks around the corner the radio all the time. Yeah, and he waves and starts walking over towards us. But with him was Ben Crenshaw. Oh wow, I thought my dad was going to lose his He was star struck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Masters twice and it's a longhorn too that school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Ed and Ben they probably get together on the regular. But those guys are college buddies. They go all the way, they go all the way back to college. They were I think they were fraternity brothers. Oh wow, I'm not sure, but that's a classic Dirties moment right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I've seen back in the day, I saw Coach Brown there. Just weird seeing Coach Brown there sitting eating a cheeseburger praying to guy who doesn't recognize me because of our coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did for years.
Speaker 1: So for those of you that don't know, Dirty Martin's is a hamburger joint on the drag what is it, twenty eighth something like that, and it's been around for over one hundred years, and there was talks of it going away because of the light rail proposal for the that guy people worked out, Yeah, for sure, and they were going to run the train tracks right through Dirty Martins and they wised up and they re routed it a different direction. So I can't remember the name of that organization that was doing that, but they took a lot of heat when they started talking about Dirty Martin's closing down. In fact, they bought t shirts that said save Dirtys and keep Austin Dirty.
Speaker 3: The other one that they that Austin Nites are really clinging onto. So it used to be back in to save our springs day. It was everything. Anything changing was disaster, like total disaster.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But the other thing that gets Austinites worked up, and I'll go, well, when's the last time you went there is the Muni golf Course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I go tell what, find me someone who's played there under over the age of fifteen. Let's start with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right,