Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure make sure you sign up if you haven't yet, to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's, because you're gonna save money at the gas pump, and by doing that, you will make Thornton's part of your routine, right, Like, I don't know how often you have to fill up the car. I mean, I don't know. I probably would say I would do. I'd say I probably do more driving throughout the day than the average. But you know, nothing crazy. I'm sure there are people that drive more hour or more miles in a day than I do. But you know, I've got to get gas every so often every few days, and I always make sure I do it at Thornton's because I save money and that means, you know what, I'm here at Thorntons. When I walk inside, take advantage of the three Monster Energy drinks you can get for seven bucks, Maybe grab one of the delicious food items they have so life's just going to be better for you as a member of the Refreshing Awards program. I can't guarantee you that, but I feel confident in saying it. And I would also say that if in fact, you realize later in the process of being a member that it didn't impact you in a major way, you know, positively, then it's probably a you thing. It's probably your faults. That's probably what it is. You might want to do some soul searching because it's on you. So again, Refreshing Awards dot Com. Download the app Android iPhone. It's there, it's free, and you'll you'll be living life better, all right. So I'm digging here to see if there's any added details to this mess with George Mason basketball. And you may be wondering why the hell we're talking about George Mason basketball, and it's because they have found themselves in a fire festival type situation. So they showed up to the airport today to fly to the Bahamas for a trip similar to the trip that Louisville just went on, where they went to the Bahamas for about five six days, played two games, and by even taking this trip, that allowed for ten extra practices, which is super beneficial. These trips are very common. In fact, I think a lot of people didn't realize how common they are because around here Louisville hadn't gone on one since Rick Patino was here in twenty fifteen, so it's been a while. Well, the group, it's called V. I don't know if it's called V two or V. I can't tell. Let me just go to their website, although it's probably yeah, revived by the V group is the company that put this thing together. And I don't even know how you would describe like what this company is as far are they are they marketing? Are they? I mean, I really don't know. But for example, when Louisville went to the OAS and they went to the Bahamar of the Bahamaer resort last week, and when they went to the Bahamar tournament in the twenty twenty two season when they won despite that being a really bad year, there's a yeah, there's a he's found the company because they're they're they're legit, They're not you know, it's it's the b D Group. In fact, I think they're actually locally they're locally owned. But it's a I guess a promotional promoter, event planner type company and they've done it for a long time, and uh, you know they're good partners. Louisville and other local schools have been a part of events that they've done. And it's called BDG Sports. Well, I guess the company similar to that is the one that I don't want to say they scammed them, but some I mean they dropped the ball, and that's probably putting it lightly. So this team showed up thinking they're going on a trip to the Bahamas to play a couple of games, just like you know Louisville did last week, and they find out that like there's no there's no flights planned, there's no booked, like it's all not happening. So Jeff Goodman is the latest that I've seen that has some added details here. He says that the organizer of the George Mason trip to Bahamas, his name is Chris Williams, and he told the field of sixty eighth that he takes full responsibility for the cancelation of the trip. He said of the company he outsourced the flights, never booked them, but the hotels and games were booked and scheduled, but because of the flights, everything had to be canceled. He also went on to say that there is no truth to them finding out last minute, so he's kind of claiming that, well, this actually wasn't as big of you know, they were notified I guess beforehand to where, but there was no I don't know. I have a hard time believing that, Like, I don't know. I guess we'll probably never know the uh, you know, the exact details here. But my guess would be is that they had everything planned so they thought, meaning like we've got are flights arranged, although again, if they've never been booked, then you don't have an itinerary. And who would think that you were going on this trip if you haven't received any travel details as far as your flight time and all that kind of stuff. So again, there's a lot of unanswered questions that probably will never get the answer to it. Honestly, I guess it doesn't matter. But for me, like, I just don't know how it could get to this point where you don't even announce it, Like I don't think George Mason said anything until like earlier today that like, yeah, it's not happening. My guess would be that they were trying to scramble and see if they could find arrangements to arrive in the Bahamas. But that's not easy to do when you're taking an entire basketball program, probably a lot of staffers from your athletic department, and then I guess they probably have some doubts if the other teams are even there to play. Like that's one of the things that eventually it'll come out, right, Like is this guy legit saying that the issue is all on the company he outsourced to book the flights or did he just like completely scam people, Because you got to keep in mind they paid money for this, like the program, the university, George Mason paid money for this. Like there's no you don't do this free. And the middleman is this promotional company, this event planning company, promoter that that does all the work and they don't do it for free. That's their business, right, So Like, I don't know if he's gonna get give have to give money. I'm sure he's gonna have to give money back. But again, this is probably something that not a lot of people really care about. But I have a feeling that this is that there's that one of the things that will make this guy either look like it was just a common or it was just a complete goof by the company he outsourced the book the flights, Like that'll be pretty easy to determine if, in fact, you later find out that they did have arrange they did have arrangements at the resort in the Bahamas, and they also had teams there to play. And the only dropping of the ball is that the flights weren't booked. Because that that still sucks, and you're still responsible because you outsourced a company that apparently dropped the ball. But like that's a whole different situation than like everybody thought this was real and it wasn't anything at all what you claim to be. Similar to the fire festival that took place many years ago that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. But to know that some athletic department folks from George Mason and Boosters alumni, I mean, they apparently had a group of like thirty alumn from you know, probably around the area where George Mason is or maybe out elsewhere in the country. Because you know, you don't always end up living and starting your career in your life where you went to college. But man, this is probably not a normal thing where you know, George Mason's a pretty small school. What are they in the in the Atlantic ten? I guess they're in the Atlantic ten.
Speaker 3: Do you know, John sounds correct? Or are they in the CAA or I was thinking the Colonial which is no longer called the COS the Coastal Athletic comp Yes, I think Colonial offensive for some reason.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they're in Uh George Mason is in the A ten. Okay, I would have never guessed that. Maybe, well let me do it. Let me double check here, because they're one of those school Yeah, they are in the A ten. Because there's some schools that are in multiple different commerces depending on the sport. Right, it's like they're in the Atlantic ten for for primary sports, which is basketball, volleyball, but they're also in like the Mid American for wrestling in soccer. It looks like so you know, if you are, I mean, this is this just sucks. Imagine being an alum who went to George Mason that is located in Fairfax, Virginia, and you now live, like I don't know, in Buffalo, New York, and you're you're an accountant or something, and you're like, Wow, man, I'm really excited about the future of our basketball program. They're going on this Bahamas trip. I want to go. Who wouldn't want to go to the Bahamas and spend a week on vacation and oh, by the way, I get to watch the Patriots play my team. And then you're there waiting for them to arrive, only to find out that none of it's real. Like this could be a I mean, this could be a really cool documentary. To be honest with you, I mean, I guess it would be sort of similar to what you see at the fire festival. But I would love to be for somebody to get feedback from those that are already there waiting, like did you show up and realize, wait a second, there's no promotional stuff. There's nothing here that indicates they're going to play basketball at this Bahamas resort, Like are we at the right place?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I just I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall as George Mason officials slowly and surely started to realize we might have got dooped, we might have got scammed. Now, for what it's worth, this isn't just some random company. They have put on events before that that have been you know, successful, meaning where they've not been canceled. So yeah, this is this is a statement from the actual promoter company that you know dropped the ball. Here we deep with deep regret, we announce the cancelation of the George Mason men's basketball team toward of the Bahamas this summer. We take full accountability for this outcome and understand the impact on all involved. We sincerely apologize. Full statement uh incoming shortly And they turned off comments as you as you could expect, because you know, I don't know what would be the point of turn off comments to that. I mean, I guess to keep people from spewing their thoughts that are probably legit that you know that's a big, big issue for you as a company, But they can still quote tweet it. Like one of the things I don't understand about turning off comments. You ever notice that, John, Yeah, I do know that's a thing because people are more inclined to quote tweet you if they really want to share with their followers that they're dunking on you.
Speaker 3: And I feel like quote treating it or quote tweeting, I should say, is is more kind of more of an exposure, I guess.
Speaker 2: Than yeah simple reply. Yeah, yeah, it's true because I mean you can just go look at the like the responses when people reply, but people got to go digging for that. If I'm following somebody and they're quote tweeting it, sharing it and then putting thoughts on it, that's to their whole audience. So it is a little bit different. All right, is Coffee and Company again where Phil Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety towards the end of the show yesterday. It was actually exciting. I mean, we've had a few instances where we were watching a game live while on the air, John, That's right. One was the Indiana Louisville game where that damn Mike Woodson tricked Kenny Payne. Remember that?
Speaker 3: What a what a con man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you tricked me by going to his zone and I'd forgotten that. Louell, Well, if you remember we were on the air together and Louisville was in control of that game. They were up like eight with like four minutes left. Do you remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember it being closed?
Speaker 2: Oh, we were sweating more than a little Louisville. Yes, exactly, because that's what it was. That's when it hit me. It's like, you know, the day before, Louisville nearly beat Texas, which would have been a big win for them, and they played well and nobody knew what to do because it's like, you know, and again, I can say this now, and I think I'm pretty sure I said it then because I didn't really hold back when it comes to my thoughts about Louisville basketball in that era. I think we all know that, but I remember thinking to myself like that said that, that's a bad look for you, Guinea Payne, Like how can you lose to Kentucky Wesley and then play Kansas or play Texas that close? Like you're a bum? That's what I thought. I'm sure I didn't say those exact words, but it also hit me in real time. I was doing the show from home because we were going to be doing the postgame show later, you know, into the evening, and I remember thinking like, wow, like this is how bad we are. John is just like trying to avoid the ultimate andmbarrassment. Then Indiana basketball would go through if they lose to Louisville, which is true, Like it would have been really embarrassing, right, because that probably.
Speaker 3: Would have been Kenny Payne's marquee win up to that point.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely would have been. There's no other win he has that was worth anything.
Speaker 4: Something.
Speaker 3: Maybe Miami, but again.
Speaker 2: Or if you remember, Miami sucked, they didn't be one of the worst teams in the ACC. That was his only road Winkay. Yeah, but like no, I mean Kenny Payne's best win was a Clemson team in his first year that won didn't make the tournament that year despite having a really good record, And I'm telling you there's no doubt in my mind the committee saw them sort of like fringe bubble with their metrics and say, well, they lost to Louisville, there's no way we're letting them in. Also, that same night was when they honored the twenty thirteen national championship team, which kind of gave you a vibe and an aura within the arena that they ain't losing that night, you know what I mean. Yes, So, anyways, the other game we watched live was the ending of the kp Era, which really wasn't exciting. It was just we were counting down. Kenny's gonna talk, and we're pretty sure this is the last Prescotts he's going to be doing. Yeah, let's hear what he has to say. I don't need people jumping off the Titanic. Heavi said that. I still cannot believe that he said that. Man, I mean, it's insane. So anyways, yesterday I was watching the end of a game and I was on the edge of my seat, quite literally, because it looked as if Team you know, I started the hour looking at the score and I just couldn't imagine seeing Team US, say, down nearly twenty points. So my eyeballs tricked me and I couldn't see for what it really was. So I looked and just assumed, well, with that big of a that big of elite, it's surely going to be the United States team that's winning, not not Serbia. And I was wrong. So then I ended up pulling it up on YouTube TV here in my second monitor, watching as they're down seventeen eighteen points and slowly but surely they're coming back, and they pulled off a really impressive come from behind victory, which is the expectation, right The United States men's basketball team always is expected to win the Golden Great and more often than not, I mean, in fact, nearly almost every Olympics that I've been alive, that's exactly what's happened. So it was a rare situation that you don't want to be in, but it led to you being able to watch and consume the Olympics with our men's basketball team in a different situation that you probably will not see very often, where they have to really claw from behind, make big plays. The best players of my lifetime out there, Lebron James, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant. I mean, obviously those aren't all the great players, but we're talking about the elite of the elite, and they all came up big, dwell and be played well down the stretch, and it was just it was fun to watch that. So, you know, I'm hoping they can get by France and win the gold and you know, it's it's the expectation, it's what you want, and I think that's what they're going to do. But yesterday was kind of cool. But one thing that I did notice that I'm sure everybody else's noticed too, because it's become a big story, is Steve Kerr just refusing to play Jason Tatum. So Jason Tatum can't get off the bench with Steve Kerr. And I'm not a Jason Tatum fan. In fact, I don't really care for him. I don't I shouldn't say that I dislike him because I don't know him and he doesn't do anything to me. He's just kind of cringe. He's uncomfortable in the spotlight. But he's a super talented player, one of the best players in the NBA, fresh off of an NBA title, his first for Boston and Jaylen Brown was sensational in the postseason. Let's be real, Jason Tatum is their franchise player, and he is. I mean, he's one of the best players on this planet. Three time All NBA First Team I mean, he's special. That doesn't mean he should play every second, doesn't mean he has to start. But let's not act like it is not insanely unusual for him to not be able to get in the game. And Steve Kerr, if you remember, in the exhibition games prior to the Olympics, did the same thing, and he claimed he forgot I forgot I forgot to put him in and I think he could get away with saying that because they were probably beaten somebody about fifty and you know, it was a tight situation they were having to try to come back. But to me, it's hard to not see this as something personal. I mean, I don't know what it would be. I mean, obviously, Steve Kerr, his last championship, probably the last one he's gonna win, came against the Celtics whenever they won a few years ago. So I don't get it. Here's what he said though yesterday quote It's not about anything Jason is doing or not doing. It's just about combinations and the way that in the way that group has played together, the way Kevin has filled in since he came back from his injury. It's just a math problem more than anything. I give Steve Kerr a little bit of, you know, the benefit of the doubt here, because if you're playing for the United States and you are in the Olympics, you're gonna be on a team that has some of the best players. Sometimes. Ever, like I mean, I don't want to get into the whole dream team from ninety two debate compared to this one, because it's just silly. It's two different eras and it's just a nonsensical conversation. But this group here, I look at this group on paper up the bottom, maybe outside of Derek White and my pacer Tyrese Haliburton, and I'm not ready to throw Booker up there yet. But other than that, these are some of the best players that you know in the modern NBA in the last I don't know, five six, seven years. I mean, Drew Holliday. Some would say he doesn't belong just because he doesn't have that big of a brand, but yet look at what he's accomplished. I mean, he's sensational. So it's one. You know, it's true that you can't play everybody the same amount of minutes, and it's gonna be hard to get good lineups with great rhythm whenever the majority of the guys on your team are used to being the guy. That's why you bring in a guy like Derek White. Derek White's not even close to as accomplished or as talented as the rest of the guys on this team, but he's a perfect role player to replace Kawhi Leonard. So like I hear you, if I'm when it comes to Steve Kurr just kind of saying, like, you know, you can't play everybody. It's about how guys are jelling. But Jason Tatum isn't some random guy. He's a guy that, in my opinion, is in the conversation as one of the top four or five players in the NBA. And it's just hard for anybody to believe that this is just well, what are you gonna do? You can only play five guys and we've got so much talent now, like this is just this is just off. And I can't say I feel sorry for Jason Tatum because you know, he's doing all right. He'll be okay. He just signed a deal that I'm pretty sure made him the highest paid player in the NBA fresh off a championship. I mean, he's doing fine. I'm not I'm not losing sleep at night for him. But he has gone through embarrassment that, like, I don't think is fair to him. And you know, some people will say, well, hey, it doesn't matter, you do what your coach asks. You're representing Team USA like we're at war or something, and that's not I mean, that's not what this is. But he's he's become a storyline because this coach who coaches the Warriors refuses to play him and sorry, like, you can't tell me that you can't give Tatum a run when you take out Anthony Edwards, when you take out Devin Booker, when you take out Derek White, like it, it's just off now. Also, maybe there's something to be said that he does have so much respect for Tatum as a star player that if he knows he's only going to give him a few minutes here and there to kind of be that guy to give somebody a break. Maybe he knows that's beneath him and doesn't want to put him through that. That I could actually understand. But the way he's gone about describing it and explaining it it's just not is doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, you've got other NBA players saying the same thing, like this just just this, something's up here. This ain't this isn't this isn't right. This doesn't make any sense. Bob Coosey's old ass is now getting involved, and you know, talking bad about Steve Kerr and Steve Kerr I don't I shouldn't say I dislike him, I just you know, I'm not a big fan, And I've always questioned how good of a coach he actually is because look at who he God never coached a second in his life. He left the broadcast booth to go coach Steph Curry and Klay Thompson in their prime, two guys that, honestly you could make the case that are two of the best shooters of all time, and they played for the same team at the same time, like and Andre Igudala, by the way, that time, was in his prime a really good player, and Kerr had nothing to do with putting that team together. That's all Rob Parker, not Rob Parker. That's the uh, that's the Guy's the name, Bob Myers. I want to say Rob Parker. He's a He's a host that you hear on Fox Sports Radio at night with Chris Bussard. So like, I don't know if I would have the same record as a coach if I was the guy coaching the Warriors instead of Steve Kerr, because I would not be that big of an idiot to say that I'm a better coach than Steve Kerr or as good of a coach, because look at his accomplishments in the world of basketball compared to mine. But I'm not I'm not afraid to sound like an idiot when I say this, because I know I sound like it. I could win with that team, you give me that in a seven game series against anybody when they were in their prime. I'm winning a title as the coach I am, especially when you had Kevin Durant. I mean, so that's not his fault, right, he can only coach who's on the team. Like he didn't anything wrong. But like, I just think in the end, this has actually not been a good Steve Kurerr is probably gonna win a gold medal, but I don't know if it's been a good look for Steve Kerr. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Let you hear about Dion Sanders continuing to just be a complete fool, and I'm here for it right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I don't know whether this song.
Speaker 3: Is Do you want the title and you can guess the artist? Yeah, the song is called It's true.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess it's Factory Boys.
Speaker 3: This is the best boy?
Speaker 2: But who which again? If you're just wondering while we're playing in sync in the Backstree Boys. There was a story that I referenced her earlier about how n syncs Bye Bye Bye song, which of course is a huge hit of theirs, is now back in the top twenty of the charts because it's been featured in a Marvel movie trailer. So the n SYNC Backstreet Boys era like it was, I mean, you couldn't find I mean, they were all over TV radio and at that point, the Internet really hadn't taken off to where like they were such a big deal. Regardless of your age, you knew who they were. You could probably recite every word to their songs even if you didn't want to. But they were just in your face, in your ears at all times. And I challenged myself to see if I could, if I could have John play songs from their deep cuts and figure out which one is which. And I got that one right. But it was more so because I could just tell it didn't sound much like n SYNC, but with the singers like Justin Timberlake and that guy named jac I feel like we're the guys who you mostly heard through n SYNC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Justin Timberlake's voice is instantly recognized.
Speaker 2: It sure, although at times, I feel like the JC guy was like, you know, a better singer on certain songs, Like he has a Christmas song where I'm like, Okay, maybe j T should have taken a back seat more often because my man J C. Chavez is just killing it and putting me in the Christmas spirit. Now, the Backstreet Boys, Nick Carter I feel like was the face of the of BSB, but I don't even know who'd be. Like a second, there's two dudes from did you know two of them are from Kentucky?
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian and uh I think his name is Brian Latrelle. And then there's the there's Kevin from the Backstreet Boys and he is a diehard UK fan from Lexington. He's actually been on Matt's show a bunch of times, and he doesn't want to talk about Backstree Boy stuff. He wants to talk about the Cats. He's like a big fan. But by the way, there's a there's a documentary on he's on Hulu of Nick Carter and his brother, and like, it doesn't paint Nick Carter in a very good light as far as some things he's been accused of. But if I remember correctly. I think the Backstreet Boys, like they were all not close to the same age. Maybe I'm wrong here, Like so Aj McClain he's forty six, Kevin Richardson fifty two, Nick Carter forty four, Howie, I don't even remember that guy, he's fifty. And then who's the other one, Brian Latrell, He's forty nine, So like there's an eight year difference between two of them. And I just feel like that when they were at their peak, you would have never guessed that. You would have all thought they were like kind of the same age, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like actors that play high school characters really like in their early twenties.
Speaker 2: There are man, that's funny. There are some great there's some great TikTok videos, reels, whatever. You I think I might have saw it on an Instagram reel one time where somebody put together like a montage from movies and shows mostly in the eighties and nineties of people playing like sixteen year old kids and they looked like they were forty with a mortgage and five kids. Like it was crazy. I mean, honestly saved by the Bell cast like that jump. But I will say this in their defense, they were older than the age they were portrayed to be in some of those shows and movies. But I feel like people that were like eighteen nineteen back in back in the eighties looked like they were fifty.
Speaker 3: They did, you know what I mean, the hairstyles of that time. And obviously I didn't grow up, you did not the eighties with the nineties. Yeah, but for some reason, the big poofy hair makes people look tens.
Speaker 2: And facial hair in facial hair like go look at google it right now. John Richie Farmer Kentucky basketball mustache. Now again it's the facial hair that really does it for him. But Richie Farmer looked like he was playing for Kentucky in in the you know, the early nineties or late eighties, whatever it was. It looked as if he was out there as a fifty five year old diehard Kentucky fan. They just got a chance to play on the team with that mustache, like he looks like he was he was suiting up and playing for Rick Patino and then going home, you know, to take care of his high school children. Like that's what he looked like. Again, it's mostly just the facial hair, right, yes, but like if you go back and look at like not that anybody would ever do it, but go watch like randomly the nineteen eighty nine Final four if you can find it, and tell me those guys playing who were college kids don't look thirty years older than the guys that are playing right now in college that are actually the same age. It's a phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Did you grow up in the era of the soul patch?
Speaker 2: Like, meaning like when I like, was it popular when you were in high school? Oh? No, no, okay, I mean I feel like I'd have to be a lot older, wouldn't I.
Speaker 3: I just don't know what the For some reason, I equate it to being do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: The soul patch?
Speaker 2: I know exactly what a soul patch is, but I don't ever remember being a thing with like kids.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, I guess maybe it's more of an adult thing. Yeah, I mean second, because if that was like a high school and that that's kind of weird too, I.
Speaker 2: Feel, And honestly, there weren't many, Listen, I'm just not remembering correctly. I don't remember a lot of kids that I grew up with being able to pull off Like there was one kid who we went to school with that all throughout me knowing him, like even in middle school. He could grow a full beard. But like nobody else could, at least not that I can really remember. We'd get like, you know, like for me, I can only if I wanted to, like have something, I could do a mustache, but it would never be thick and it would look gross. It would look like I'm just you know, non farm not we are not well groomed. But one thing I could pull off, not that I would want to, I could pull off a soul patch. I mean meaning I could grow one. I don't when I say pull it off, I know it would probably look disgusting, but uh yeah, there was a there was a time where it wasn't that uncommon to see somebody completely bald, nothing but the soul patch.
Speaker 3: I think that Chris Dawtrey was in that category.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that I can't visualize it, but I think that sounds right. I think it sounds right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got it if you look at it. All if you do is search Chris Dawtry soul patch and it's there.
Speaker 2: You could, like you could have a full grizzly Adam's beard, couldn't you. Yeah, it would take a while.
Speaker 3: And I'm the kind of person who and I've learned this because I've let it grow out before. I don't like it when it gets real bushy and kind of takes over the face, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like right now, I feel like the hair on your face is thicker than like, like not longer, but like, I feel like you've got a good balance now where the hair on your head and the hair on your Maybe it's just the camera I'm looking at, but I feel like your beard's got a pretty good base to it right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to trim it up pretty soon though, because it's goods. I hate it. This is going to sound gross, but like whenever you can kind of feel the food in your.
Speaker 2: Girl, yeah, I mean I can't relate, but I can see that. I can see that feeling very gross. I really could, all right, So, like Dion Sanders, part of me says, if they continue to be irrelevant and suck, and there's more and more stories coming out about how dysfunctional things are at Colorado. I mean, there was a pretty salacious article put together by I think it was Mike Farrell yesterday or the day before about Colorado, meaning some of the some of the allegations have been made about just the culture there, and it's not a good look. Tough to know how legit all of it is. It's kind of a he said, she said stuff. But that's now the coverage of Colorado And if they don't win, and the noise continues to just be this kind of stuff, controversy, arrogance, entitlement with nothing, with no reason for said entitlement, Like will the college football media world continue to give them the attention that I don't believe that they're warrant that they're worthy of, Like how much longer can the Deon Sanders stick work if they don't win. There's a part of me that says it'll die off and like it'll just be a thing where, yeah, that didn't work out, we're moving on. But then also I give Dean Sanders credit. He has the ability to move the needle and bring eyeballs to him and his program whoever he's coaching, whatever he's doing, unlike anybody else. And I don't really get it, but I yes, you know, for that he's worthy of of you know, uh, some some credit because it's just not you know, it's not it's not something I've ever seen before. So here's the latest. He had a press conference. I don't know if it was a media day thing or if it was after one of their practices, but there was a local reporter there asking a question. Dion Sanders and Deon Sanders made it made it clear he's not going to answer any question from this reporter because of his affiliation with with CBS.
Speaker 5: There's the end of that question. I guess next guy.
Speaker 1: Eric Kristen said, was CBS Sports Colorado Tyler.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing that with CBS. Next question. It's above that. You got none to do with you. I got love for you, I appreciate respect you. HA got none to do with you. They know what they did.
Speaker 1: I'm here at Deadver, not National.
Speaker 5: You who you are CBS is CBS, all right, I respect you, and that's why I told you that. I'm looking at you and now as a man I respect.
Speaker 2: With sunglasses on.
Speaker 5: But what they did was foul.
Speaker 2: So first of all, everybody's acting, everybody's reacting to this like what a clown like who would do that? And Colorado lets him behave like this, like who Like it's one thing to do that if you're no matter who you are, Like that's just disrespectful. Like that guy's there doing his job. You're acknowledging he didn't do anything to you, but you're being a baby and and a diva and like you're not like you're not serious, dude, like this, like you're not serious? Like that was one of the things that I always I remember hearing a lot when Dion got the opportunity to make the jump from FCS to Colorado. I remember hearing it and believing it that you know, he's a competitor. He is so driven. He works his ass off like he's primed. He's flashy. He's a me guy. But don't let that for you. He'll out work anybody. He's intense, he's you know, look at how successful he has been as an athlete. Fair enough, but he doesn't carry himself in a serious way at all, in anyway, and he hasn't since he got to Colorado. The things he said, and like there's something to be said about you know, consistency, but you are who you are. But like who he is, it's clearly different than anybody else that coaches high level college programs and being different doesn't mean you're wrong, You're just different. But if you're gonna be that different and have no results to back it up as far as success, like you're you're just a clown, like you don't like, you're not, you're not, you don't belong. And maybe this year they'll break through and have a lot of success, But would anybody be shocked if they suck again? I don't think so. So, Like, if you're Colorado, what point do you because again you've now got a guy there that it's the prime program, it's not Colorado. And to be fair, what is Colorado known for in college football? Not much? Right what Dan Lanning say? What they ever do? I mean, like, I mean he was right, like it it made, you know, made people, and be fair, that's probably why Colorado hired a guy like Dean Sanders right to give them some notoriety, give them some legitimacy, because you know they haven't had that and he brings it. But then again, like is it worth it now that he's been there over a year and you haven't won and it's not even about you, it's about only him. I mean, he even takes attention away from like his players.
Speaker 4: Not a big reaction.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm trying to remember what they want to affect this conference. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Do you remember them winning anything?
Speaker 5: I don't remember them winning anything.
Speaker 2: I love Dan Lanning. I love Dan Lanning A lot rooted.
Speaker 4: In substance, not flash rooted in substance. Today we talk with our pats, your helmet right every moment. The Cinderella story is over, man, Right, they're fighting for clicks, we're fighting for wins. There's a difference, right, there's a difference.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: This game ain't gonna be playing in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be played on the grass.
Speaker 4: Right, it's gonna be playing on the grass.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Why is that so great? It's not just the you know, they're fighting for clicks, we're fighting for wins. But his delivery, his delivery, and the this game main's gonna be played in Hollywood is like an all timeline. Yes, I love it. I love Dan Lanning, I really do. But anyways, back to dion being a word I can't say on the on the radio about CBS. For those wondering what happened to CBS, it is the CBS Sports College Football crew who ranked Dion Sanders as the second worst Big twelve coach in twenty twenty four, and he's That article came out a month ago and he's still bitter about it. And what Deon Sanders has to understand is that he does, in fact have a great resume as a player, an accomplished athlete that is. I mean, he's he's special in that regard, right, I mean not only as a football player, but he was also a hell of a baseball player too. Like he's he's sensational in that regard. But as a coach, dude, you haven't, Like you claim you're disrespected for what what have you done? I mean they have him ranked fifteenth out of sixteen coaches, and I'm sorry he's won. Scott Saderfield is one ahead of him at number fourteen. Scott Saderfield. As much as I rag on that bum, he's way more successful as a coach than Deon Sanders has ever been.
Speaker 3: Who's the coach below him?
Speaker 2: Kenny Dillingham, who's thirty three years old at Arizona State, Who's I think in his second year, maybe first year, maybe I don't know. So did he expect to be number one when they've got Kyle Whittingham at Utah who's been phenomenal, probably the most not talked about coach that's been sensational, Lance Leepold, Chris Climban, Mike Gundy, Sonny Dyke's, Matt Campbell, Willie Fritz, Gus Malzan, Neil Brown, Dave A Ronda. I mean, like, these are coaches that like. And what's crazy about this is that with Dion, you can put a coach who's had like one Bowl appearance, and you are justly putting that one coach with that coach with the one Bowl appearance ahead of him, because Dion has coached one year and has not proven anything. Like I just the way he.
Speaker 3: Said that with no context makes you feel like CBS did a hate crime or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I mean that's that's why he's a clown. And I like entertainers in sports because that's what this is. At the end of the day. It's all about entertainment, it really is, and he's he is that as far as the entertainment element, but he's also a clown when it comes to being a coach and just acting as if he's done something sensational when he really hasn't, and if he dominates this year, then he'll get credit and it'll be deserved. But I've never seen someone so entitled and arrogant as a coach civically with nothing to show for it. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Another one. I don't know, but I do know that this is insane, right absolutely, I could tell. And that voice that I'm hearing is not jac guy. Yeah, I can tell it's I can tell it's him, all right. So one of the things we discussed a little bit earlier. I don't know if you guys we were with us at the time in the three o'clock hour, but Michigan deciding to bring back Jim Harball to be the honorary captain for their opener, fresh off of his punishment from the nc DOUBLEA that, as you know, is likely it's not a real punishment because he's never going to coach and doesn't want to coach in college football again. It's just a I think it was an attempted move from the NCUBLEA to look as if they're making an example out of somebody. But yet it actually did the opposite, because it's just it shows your lack of awareness as far as just how silly it looks to punish someone who quite clearly is not like you. He's untouchable to you, I mean, he just is, and him coming back to Michigan to be their honorary captain while that I mean, and they didn't announce this until he got like his punishment essentially, So like, I think it'll be an interesting case study with how this plays out with the n S DOUABAA, because they seem less and less relevant by the day, and they don't seem it doesn't seem as if those within the higher levels of college athletics, right the big revenue programs, revenue sports, they don't seem to have as much fear in the n DOUAA as they once did for obvious reason. So if Michigan ends up, you know, and they're gonna bring Harball back, we know that, but they're they're currently going through they're about to get a notice delligations from the NAA in regards to the Connor stallions sound stealing, cheating, and if they go through that whole thing, get no further punishment and I mean, I just feel like this could end up being the ultimate move to where there's really no debate. There's no doubt that the n STUBLE is powerless and useless when it comes to the highest level of college sports. I think we're already there. I've discussed that quite a bit this week, But I just feel like Michigan fresh off national championship, knowing they're being investigated for cheating during that national championship season, and yet there's still that brazen to bring back a coach that just got hit with a four year show cause and a one season suspension if he ever does return to college. Like they're very much publicly laughing at the NCAA, And I feel like there hasn't really been a situation quite like this when you have the circumstances meeting a coach that's been that's moved on to go to the NFL, that I got hit with it, that got hit with a you know, not a fake punishment essentially, and they're like you would think they would want to cooperate, like if they feared the NCAA in anyway, they would cooperate, not do anything to rock the boat because they don't want anything about their twenty twenty three national championship to be viewed as illegitimate because of cheating. But they don't care because nobody cares about the NCAA anymore, it seems, and I can totally understand why. All right, quick break, we'll come back finish strong here the five o'clock hour on a Friday, happy hour for some. Not for us, of course, because we're professionals and we still have another hour of work before we get out of here for the weekend. But if you have already started your weekend, salute and we'll keep it rolling until six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety