Speaker 1: Akill that.
Speaker 2: This thing's big, all right?
Speaker 1: This coyways made traders today. We talked about a little bit yesterday's show. George Pickens is your newest Dallas Cowboy. George Pickens good wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Coways give up a third round picking next year's draft for him. There's a lot of things that go with George Pickens. He's an incredible athlete. He has it's not even off the field stuff, it's actually a lot of on the field problems. And then like he's just he's he's very wild ass, just probably the best description of him. The potential is incredible, and then everything else is very much up in the air. So he comes to Dallas on a contract here and there's a lot to talk about here, but I want to read something to you guys.
Speaker 2: First, John, a shot of the Athletic, was doing.
Speaker 1: An article with a beat writer for the Steelers, and one thing that they were talking about was the contract scenario. So he comes here, has the same agent as Micah Parsons, who is not in a contract year, but next year would be in a contract year, and there's an idea of like the Steelers trying to get rid of him now because he would have poisoned the well if he held out for training camp. And here's what the Steelers rider said, here's the question from Mishoda. Do you think there's a chance Pickens would sit out until he gets a new deal? And the Steelers rider said, just a few years ago, I'm sorry he goes. I felt trading Pickens now made more sense rather than waiting into uncertain waters and potentially inviting a messy situation in training camp.
Speaker 2: He hasn't acted in a rational way previously.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't surprise me if he's willing to be fined in camp or even into the season by holding out.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where it's a bad trade if it got there.
Speaker 3: There's so much to discuss, and I think this all of this for me personally, it has to do with the emotional roller coaster of being a Dallas Cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: And I know that there's a lot of people that feel the same.
Speaker 3: But from Afar watching George Pickens, I was like, good God, this guy's a head case. Look at what he's fighting Jordan Lewis in a game. I'm like, I'm team Jordan Lewis. This guy is out of his mind, all the issues he has off the field. The minute he's a Dallas cowboy. I'm like, yes, he's fixed, but.
Speaker 2: He'll never have any more problems ever. Again, this is great.
Speaker 3: So I've had time just to do some research and think about it, read about it, listen to other people about it, and just try to wrap my brain around it. From a fit standpoint, this is exactly what this offense needs. A big, tall receiver who's a vertical threat. Dak hasn't had that. You look at the guys he's had to throw the ball down the field too. I mean the last good one he had was Michael Gallup when before he you know, got hurt. He's had little guys since then. Those little guys aren't good at running those go routes. It just doesn't work the same. You need a big guy that could get up the field like and compliment Ceedee Lamb. And that's exactly what he is. That's what Tedoroa McMillan would have been right if he had he had dropped there.
Speaker 1: And so like tallis Pickings, he's the same size as Ceede Lamb pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so it's like this guy, this is exactly what they need. An X receiver, tall, good target down the field, gets downfield speed like he's a perfect compliment to what Ced does on the field. It's like ideal. But then you start looking, Okay, why is this guy available. He's twenty four, He's gonna get you a thousand yards a year. He's one of the best receivers in the league, but not quite like he's in the tier two right, right, And so if you look at what the tier two guys make, like I've heard speculation that the Cowboys are about to pay Jalen Tolbert he was in a contract, you're right, like ten to twelve, right, there's no way they for Jalen Tolbert. Ferguson is about in that same range, probably be in that ten to twelve if they decide to pay him.
Speaker 2: Or they or they let him want.
Speaker 4: And just so I'm on the same page with you guys. You guys believe that Ferguson's a better tight end than Tolbert is.
Speaker 3: Receiver site Okay, And so if you look at the highest paid number two receivers in the league, they're all between twenty twenty eight twenty nine million. Okay, The number one like CD he's at thirty five, but there's some guys who are at twenty eight, twenty six, twenty seven, twenty five. So if you're George Pickens, who a lot of people took him off their draft board, They're like, we're not drafting him no matter what. He had got into a lot of trouble in college, he's gotten into a lot of trouble in the pros. He's been fined two hundred dollars in one season alone. He got fined two hundred grand for missing team meetings.
Speaker 4: Showing up late, not you know, all the second round contract being a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and not only making a million whatever, that's a lot. That's a huge fine. So I've I've heard some speculations. People are like, dude, that he doesn't want to sign a deal because he wants to go have Dacbiust quarterback. He's had bad quarterbacks and he's going to go earn his next contract, so he doesn't want a.
Speaker 4: Deal, Like that's try report of that. That's why I don't think he would hold out that.
Speaker 3: I don't think he would either now, And I've heard that the Cowboys don't want that either.
Speaker 4: They're like, why would we rush out and do a deal. Let's see how this goes.
Speaker 3: We're about to get George Pickens on his best possible behavior. Yeah, where he's going to go try to get a contract. And the thought is if he leaves, well, they'll just go get a compet story pick for him.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's the risk.
Speaker 3: And so if he put up big numbers, let's say that, Let's say he goes crazy and he puts up twelve hundred yards and eight touchdown, ten touches whatever what and go. And let's say he gets north of twenty four million dollars per year and they don't want to pay it.
Speaker 2: What story pick would they get? Would they get a third round pick? It'd be a late third round pick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it'd be like what you're giving up probably if you're good, Yeah, yeah, you know, and you get it back into twenty seven drive.
Speaker 3: It'd just be a year delayed. But they, at least right now, are going for it. And I also heard speculation. I heard somebody say, I think it was Broadus who said something like, you know, a GM that's worried about keeping their job doesn't make this trade, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Hey, nobody in this organization is going anywhere unless they decide they want to go somewhere.
Speaker 2: Sure, like this is the epitome.
Speaker 4: It's kind of their whole reason they kept Shottenheimer, right, this was a guy nobody was trying to hire. Dude, I'm not at all worried about Schottenheimer as a coach.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: He may not be a great coach, but I don't think he's going to be a bad coach. I don't think if you grew up in the NFL you're going to be a bad coach. I think he might just be a pedestrian coach. What I'm hoping is that he actually has some great ideas and I do think that there. It always excites me when you're bringing in fresh blood, young coaches. Now that doesn't mean they're good, sure, right, But like I would just take you back to eight years ago and all the coaches that everyone's talking about now, nobody knew who they were. Nobody was talking about the McVeigh when he was the quarterback coach in Washington. It wasn't until he got out from underneath that, and everyone's talking about, like that's where fresh blood comes from.
Speaker 2: And the fact that there's fresh blood in the organization.
Speaker 4: I love that. It may all suck, but I love that. But I don't based on how the Cowboys have operated. I cannot see a scenario in which they have to pay Micah Parsons that they are going to pay their second receiver twenty five million when they're paying their top receiver thirty five I cannot even begin Then they have the highest paid quarterback currently, I cannot in any way my brain cannot fathom the Cowboys ever doing anything like that. Especially and look, if you're gonna pick a position for a guy to be a wild ass, I either want that wild ass to be a wide receiver or a cornerback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, the Bengals are your example.
Speaker 1: It's t Higgins who just got signed for twenty eight million, But they franchised him for a year, right, so they could franchise tag him too if they wanted two years of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get the fizing a wide receiver, Oh my god, should be in the nuts. Well, if you got a franchise someone, probably so.
Speaker 3: I also think about the Cowboys are trying to improve their culture. Like if you look at all the guys they draft, they tried to draft team Captains. Yeah, this is an anti culture guy. This is Jason Garrett stuff. This is Team Captains. And then we're bringing in Yeah, Greg Hardy, he's it's but it's that vibe and Gregory had questions yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Or does you know?
Speaker 3: And and but uh, I think about what wasn't it? Rick Carlisles said, it can't all be milk drinkers. Yeah, you can have one guy, right like you can't have a bunch of those guys. But I don't know. It'll be interesting to see how it goes too, because I don't know that there's a team out there based on George Pickens pass that wants to pay him twenty eight million even if he goes crazy. He ain't getting that d he's got warts and you've got concerns bringing him in. So what if you could, you know, would they to fortify the sixty million they're paying dak and if if he goes out and has a big year, would they pay Pickings eighteen twenty million a year? And what he accepts, Yeah, he was what else is out there for if he goes and that's a great point. If he goes out there and puts up the numbers that would justify paying him big. You're not gonna pay him big, like you would have to be like Jacksonville or somebody going all.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, wed time for us to spend some money. We'll spend money on this guy. Which if that's the case, that's fine. You do let him go and you replenish what this reminds me of the kind of move it is. It reminds me of the kind of move that we all thought the Cowboys would make the last three or four years, because Jerry is a thousand years old, right, you know.
Speaker 2: They should have been doing.
Speaker 3: But you know what this move was for the Steelers in a tiny way, this was the Luca trade.
Speaker 4: They're like, we don't want to pay him. Yeah, we don't think this is going to get any better. Let's get something for him now. They were sick of that dude, like they're sick of him, and dude, they he's a twenty four year old, badass receiver and they need receivers horribly bad.
Speaker 1: You know what a funny thing Antonio Brown, and they're really not that comparable as players are. Antonio Brown who was there for a long time and eventually we're on his welcome there. I think everyone says about Antonio Brown, though he practiced hard, he worked his ass off. George Pickens is a guy who after a game will say you at it and block him that run play at don't want to get hurt. Yes, he said that, which you know my record, you know, maybe you know Terry your ACL doesn't help us either.
Speaker 2: So maybe don't get one. Dude. Man he is They couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Speaker 4: Now this will happen, but it's a perfect fit on the field for the Cowboys, and for one year he'll be on his best behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe to work.
Speaker 4: I agree, lie to him and say, hey, man, go out there and earn it, and then turn your back on him next year.
Speaker 1: And now teams can't triple cover ceede lamb Right, that's the best part.
Speaker 4: And dude, it helps the run game too, yes, because now you're gonna get people in cover two.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get the safety out of the box and now you can run. It helps Ferguson.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love it on the field, but again I have zero interest in him being a Cowboy after next year. So this season, right it out for one year and then you go get the next Teto McMillan and next year's trafted kid.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, all right.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget the time that Kat had a chance to draft Ted McMillan. He looked him dead in the eye. He showed him his card and he.
Speaker 1: Said, I think I would say never change, you know, but also change.
Speaker 4: Which is a weird thing to say to a rookie that's gonna do it for us. But Christina is going to stick around and play tunes right here on the eagle there.
Speaker 2: You going, well want to get some cheeks after this horsepower is joint alright, enough fun in games