Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteenth, episode thirty three.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, quickly before because I always have a lot to do all these comments that come into me, I want to first show you something on the screen because I mentioned things and then people ask me they don't really know what I said. So here this is the head. Last week I mentioned the ADASA medical convoy massacre, and you can read about it on Wikipedia, in which some seventy some people seventy nine it says, were killed. And these were civilians going up to MoU Scopus, including Professor freedmen. That's the first thing I wanted to mention to you. Close this out now. We spoke about drya seen last week and different perceptions of it. I'm looking here. On the next day, Tuesday, January fifth, twenty twenty one's Wall Street Journal, you have letters to the editor about the Blackwater pardons. If you know about the Blackwater pardons, so one of the letters saying, it's a disgrace. These are killers who opened fire on a crown of unarmed men, women and children. And the very next letter is the defense of it, that these were under great stress. It wasn't intentional. They so there's different ways to look at it. In Rabbi Mosusa's column last week, we when really spoke about it, I said, spoke about Tunisia carrying on Charvis. He tells the story. This is on section ten, No. Ten. When he came to Israel in the early seventies, someone asked him, is it true that in tunis not even one person's Mihail Shabas. He's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Commr shoot was shoot? Everyone bring carries co on metaculi. That's before we had aerthn. Think back to why when you were young, how many people really were solen doctied that they didn't carry handkerchiefs or things like this. I mean, think about sugis if it's on shabas, how difficult it is if you're not connected. I mean people, it's hard for us to imagine. But that's what There weren't any airs in the city, so the average person, they weren't really mocked pit on that, and people didn't understand it really. They thought this was something that the rabbis did so, but they didn't have to. Okay, now I want to say something before I returned to twomor things. Okay, this I'm gonna I have to say this. I could have said it another time, but I'll say it now. This takes us back to the very early class where apparently I made a comment. Well, I did the comment that I think it's very good that our kids in the modern Orthodox world learned to lane. In the Haadi world, many of them don't learn to lane. Uh not all the Haadi world. In Yeshiva circles mean name, they don't let the kid boys lane at their bar mitzvah, but they're definitely in Garadi's lifishers circles where they do learn. But in the Haarsitic world they don't. Okay, So someone finds, you know, let me just say something. If we need to be able to accept criticism or something good, even from the other side, You're never going to convince me that it's not a good thing for the bar mitsa boys to lane. It's if you don't lane, have the people never learn to lane. The fact that I'm not in the Haredi world, So what if you can have your view, but I'm gonna have my view. And anyone who's been listening to me knows, and I often say that Haaradian do things better than the modern Orthodox. I'm no big defender the modern Orthodox. Let me give you another example I've never mentioned. I don't like speaking under the hoop at weddings. The rabbis have enough time to speak. I don't go for them. Maybe for daughters married. It's one thing I don't think we need it. I like the Haredi weddings, what sou But why am I mentioning all this because someone, maybe there's more, wants to claim think that this whole idea of the modern Orthodox boy is leaning for their bar mitzvah is. It's a show. It's uh, it's trying, you know, it's a modern Orthodox stick like we do other things. Uh like what the communal singing. I happen to like communal singing. But I mean so like this is a modern Orthodox show and we're harei did we go by the masouro? We don't need to. So it's checker sker mohat. For if if you're gonna if you're listening live or you're gonna listen on the YouTube, let me read you something here. This comes right from Minhage of Vermaiza, edited by Rabbi Hamburger, Just so you know, the Minha Ashkenaz is that bar Mitza boys lane. It's only recently then Yeshiva circles they stopped leaning. What the modern Orthodox are doing, whether they know it or not, is the massa. If you look in the Minhag of worms, it says that on the Sabbath the shabas right after to become bar Mitzvah rove bene bar Mitzvah or the hazanim and uh for Kris of Torah. And and it says that he even says that it's a to read from the taur. If you look in this is on pay volume one, page one sixty five, you can run Hamburger's note. He says, Minha pashas ayashanara, it's karas parsashukula. The minha of Ashkenas was that the bar Mitza boy read the Parasha rock samo dono. But it's only like within the last generation or two, r Google Robbie, make they the people stop doing this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But this is min of Ashkenas. And he quotes, he quotes to Mario the like Yoshl Joseph Omits the mugg and Avraham of Yan Bachrach the Lavush. You can see all the sources here. And then he goes on in the the Minhague Vermaisa. He says there are some bar mitsa boys who have a good voice, and then how the seabour they dove in Admira of the night before they down Chakras and moustaf or whatever they can. And then it says there's someone don't even know how to read tower and they can't read, so they just get the Aliah. But this idea that this is some modern Orthodox thing to perform before the family, that it was invented, it's complete fogus. This is the min Hug of Ashkinas now smarting uh. I don't know because it's farding. For instance, some many Spardan Lane before the thirteen and in Jerba, and it continues in the kiss kine Brock. Every week they review the Parsha together as a group with the trump, so they remember the whole Torah with the trump, so they don't need to be taught. I don't know about other places in the started world, but this is just to get it off my chest. This is this idea that this is a show put on by the that's nagashknas that the uh, the the barn mitsa boy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We'll read his parsia, or at least some of it uving from Paris. He wants to know we spoke about last class tamid hacham, how it's in the construct. But he says, but if you open the kamara in many places, it's clear that they're not using it as a student of the wise or just using it as a scholar. Yes, today, the word toma hochum does not mean student of the wise. If you be or an order to that, and you never had a rebby, and you weren't all by yourself, like sort of like the Kazi Kazunisian ever went to Yeshiva. All of his learning was pretty much on his own. Really, all his serious learning was on his own. He's still a toma hoflam. The word today means torras scholar. In fact, if you were translating a text and it says tomad hocham, you have to translate it as toros scholar. If he translated a student of the wise, that's really it's an incorrect translation. But it originally goes back. That's where it comes from. Your student of of the wise moving from Paris, and also Rabilate sent me things about Suddolk, who also has the view of the Lavavach Rebbe last week, at least originally of the Revshnaier's almond not to answer questions dealing with mundane things, although they both also pointed me out to similar thank sources. You can find a social on the journal Hickla Besh number twenty six, where it shows that Rev. Shnaire's almond of Ladi he was prevailed upon by his closidium. He didn't want to answer mundane questions, but as put by the Labavachannachamendel and tourist Monachem Pag eight that although he didn't want to do it, the people pushed it in and Michaul that the people still wanted answers to their everyday questions. So he had what can you do if the casili want, you have to give it to that? And one final thing before we returned to pick up where we left off, actually two more things I promised Robert I get to this. So let me say, remember we spoke about uber uber eats is a luckily permissible well in the Jewish thing because you're carrying non koshure food from two weeks ago. Rabb Bi time jafter, he's been on tour in motion. He's a rabbi and hi, he's written a few story. He's an Ashkenazi. Of course, Rabbi and Sardik Shulgo. I first met him when the last time the Rove gave his summer Kobo summer of nineteen eighty five, where I was there, you had a number of yeah, your Khan was there. Later by Joshua Hoffman and Rabbi Jactor and Reijactor was the one who drove the roof back and forth and on a number of occasions because he needed someone. I went with him. And that's where the questions that I record that I asked the rove, the famous ones before Nefhasharov I was the one who asked him about Thanksgiving. It came during those trips back and forth. But he has an article in the Jewish Link and he discusses what we did. In fact, he mentions the He mentions Ramosha Feinstein that there's there's no problem at all. Mosha Feinstein explicitly permits transporting kosher items. He quotes vad Jos Safe as saying that it's permissible, but it's better not to I I I don't. I don't see where he gets this. I'm looking at Vadios right now in his uh when he hed the kafafai and that he added the extra pages on to and simakofia Zaion doesn't say that at all. He just says near it matiri before keep so okay, But and then he says there is especially room to be leaning asist Rashba writes that the prohibition to engage in business with non kosher food is due to concern that one may eat it. However, this concern hardly applies to an Uber eats driver who jeopardizes his job if he eats the delivered food. So based on this, we conclude there's no problem with uber eats. He then later gets into well, what maybe it's a leaf naive, which I guess could be it. He concludes that you probably shouldn't do it unless you really need the money, because I guess I woul apply if you're a Jewish area, there's according to some it's Arabinic prohibition to give someone something that's they'll violate. Let's say they'll ete non kosher even if they can get it without you. But what I want to mention here is because the major point I think is, he says, despite what I just told you, he says as follows, which is just completely bizarre. After saying the Rashba that you could be leaning in because you can't eat the food. You're the driver, you don't own it, you're just transporting it, which for Emosha permits from Voe, he says, Nonetheless, I heard that customers occasionally grant permission to the driver to eat some of the provided food. Thus the Rashba's concerned might very well turn out to be relevant to the Uber eats driver. Now, like I said, this is bizarre. This is completely false. There's never ever been a case where an Uber eats driver was told by the person they could eat the food. Quite apart from the fact you don't know that whole thing of Uber eats. Now, you don't know who's delivering the food, whoever delivers it. But is there ever such a person who would tell the delivery person, you can have some of my French fries, take a bite of my hamburger when you're delivering it. I guess in theory, if it's a guy who works at the pizza shop and he comes, he's your buddy, and he's always the one who delivered. You might say, yeah, you can have a slice. But I mean, this is not Halla has never decided. We Sy was someone as we asked about these far out cases, and I always tell us Ala has not decided by a far health case like this. It's decided by so Yes, if you're at a place and you're working at a non kosher place and someone calls up and he's your buddy and says deliver the food and you would have a bite of it, maybe then you could. But the idea, I said, it's bizarre. There's the idea that I mean that the Nuber Eats driver is for given permission by the customer to start chewing on the food as he's delivering. It never happened. Okay, let me just say to three more minutes before we pick up, because I do have to say something. Many of you commented on last week and the tour. Incidentally, those who are interested in the new edition of the tour got a If you're interested in the tour, it's like twenty two volumes and it's been out maybe fifteen years or so. It divides the basio state, the tour very nice, very easy to follow. Okay, what do I want to say before we just five more minutes? I, in response to many questions, I looked into things. I found all sorts of interesting things. Incidentally, I don't know if bar us with us, but I found the hustom sofa and he speaks about you can find this in Mamarim Kardashian on PARCIAUSAT say he wants to know because he's looking at the the Acov's waiting to lea as a a lockic marriage. He says, how can it be a lot of marriage just caducche tos because he didn't know who was marrying, like sort of what I said last week. And he says that when he saw she got pregnant though then he didn't want his USO to be bus mos. He didn't want to be immoral sexual relations. So therefore, ex post facto he's he uh accepted it and uh a number of sources. I just looked a notes of Hafma. A number of people comment on the ballaturi and they're all, I mean, it's shocking. They're saying that had he not said it, he couldn't have said it. I'm not talking about the hitting her. I'm talking about the idea. He fears that, you know to use that language. Uh, and I found of Ravasner in Shava ta Lady on the toe. He he Uh also picks up with this. He says that, Tomua, how could you say this about uh about Leah and Uh he develops the idea that that Yakov does it. Say. Oh, First of all, he says, what does it mean that Yakov hated her? There's different types of hatred, you know, there's how much speaks about if you see the donkey of an animal carrying uh heavy stuff of the person you hate what? And themar says, what does it mean? You? You have to help it out. What does it mean? Hate doesn't mean hate like we think if it means if he did in the Veyra, and therefore you have reason to feel negative. So he develops the idea that Yakov thought that thought a negative thing about her, and not that he hated her per se or anything, but he saw a certain pagam in her. But then I want to get back to the question that about the hitting her, which and next week I'll explain this about the what I mentioned that it was the proof that Yakob was drunk from the tsukim at the wedding, which incidently, if you look even at traditional commentators, we see them saying it. Hiil Mansfield writes that the word the root from alap non hay. He tries to bring all sorts of example examples where it refers to something specific. So when Leah said as that God has seen my affliction, you know has assuming it's from Hazau or the tour, we're looking for something specific. But the big thing is that I was trying to figure out last class. I was looking for the adoris, if you recall, and I couldn't find uh the adoris. And it wasn't the adoris I was looking for. It was actually Ravari Leve and rivarie L who continues, and then I found it even by myself. In the Bracious Rabu if you if you look in Bracis Raba in Parshas of yeshuach Uh, right at the beginning, it already speaks about you know how why it says Dino went out and the way she was dressed at ledge them on and it's they they they say that I'll lay up when she went out to meet you know, we Meetacols. It's in a regional pustle here UH on a second in uh, it's in chapter thirty, verse sixteen. It says, when Yakov came into the field, Leah went out to meet him. And what does the midrash say. It's not me saying it, it's it's the midrash. The midrash says she went out to meet him, adorned like a harlot arizona. And you have a number of passages in which, for whatever reason, Lea is portrayed negatively in the commentators in Krasal and we wouldn't say that's but that's how she's portrayed. So the idea that Yakov thought that she was not behaving properly, and maybe that that that could explain why the bolterom was led to this idea of hitting or whatever whatever it is. For some reason, Leya is portrayed in a certain negative way. I had lots of other stuff I want to say, but I see the hours already late, so I could go on and I'll get to the idea of the wedding next week. I think you find it very interesting how the poking actually show us something which you wouldn't get on your own. There's a parallelism. There's sort of stuff that everybody leap tag would do. I'll do that next class. I also have to apologize to have a Hian Palaci, because I said last week that he was the one who said that it wasn't him. He opposed the view that that sometimes you could hit, but they both could hit that. I mean, if there's a good reason it's actually someone else. You can see this all in my book. I'm page too alight. But well, there's a lot to say. I could spend the whole question on this, but I don't want to because we have other good stuff today. There's a lot more that came in this week, but I don't feel I need to share it with you. But this I wanted to. Okay, okay, let's let's pick up. We're in We're in the Egros Mathe Rabanon the Safer. We're picking up on page two fifty, which is Simon Kokluff Days. And this is another letter to me from Rabbi shay Lot, the Great Rabbi shay Lot, the Roseshiva of Beer Cosmosha in Malaya Doumim. As I mentioned before, that there used to be a number of Americans used to go to Malaia dumim. There's someone in my shold who went to Malaya domim. I haven't uh should say mariya I do mem, but I haven't heard recently, at least from my area. And I'm not sure why it's a top yeshiva. But Rabbi shay lot I asked him a question. I was the first thing we don't need to get into. It's how to understand the passage in the hop dumba of the rama to the missioner. So he explains it. But then in the in the ps he writes to me thanking me for sending him the Collected Writings of Weinberg, actually volume two. I think I sent volume one already, which is collection of Oliver by Weinberg's essays, which hadn't appeared. And he says that you know the house uh was full of light because this is a great collection and I didn't even know it. He says that his father, who had just passed away, was a student. His name is green Span in Germany of Rebi Filak of Weinberg. And then he says the husa hanals that's all that is, there is a hussabiak of Weinberg Shahia Rabbashavi Marie. He was the teacher of my father vodol beates. Should you know is a hush should be? Uh? Stand for me? I find that unusual because Rabbi Chaylat is such a mindmom ada oh. First instantly he says the hush a mode. We usually say zionalavs hussoula mode because as a host is the sort of word that in modern Hebrew it's feminine, but if you look in medieval Hebrew, they use it as masculine. It's one of those words that could go both ways. But if you look at Rabbi Kafa, Rabbi Kaffa, well, what does that means? The hush yagod? It means that the merit of this deceased person will protect us or you know, assist us. The Ramban didn't believe this. In the rombum system, you stand on your own. There's no such thing that someone else's someone who died. That the midsto is that this person did that his huss is in your merit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's no such concept for the rumbum. So if you look at Rabai Katha. He never says the husso yeah, Gainolina. What he says is about the Rambam or anyone else. He says the huss limu to Rasso, Yeah, game Alena, that is the merit of studying the tonra of this sage will Actually he's not I don't know if he's a hundred seconds sisting, but he does say that that what's the a house, that the merit of studying this rumbum's tonra that will stand us in good stead. But by shay Rot, who's the greatest mind out of the in scholar of our time, succeeding Rabai Katha, he had no problem. I'm saying the husagon Tao, Okay, that's that. The next letter number one twenty three is to this individual. Let's get you up on the screen here. He passed away at the age of ninety eight in July of COVID. His name was schmol Ashkenazi. He was regarded as he comes from the Ada gridis that you know, the extreme Haaradi community in Jerusalem. But he became as it says, he began to publish articles when he was young in every major and minor journal and form of tourist scholarship from the age of eighteen and ninety forty until his death. He became known as the greatest bibliographer in maybe in the world, with his hand on everything. He worked in the Jewish National Well for a time, I know he worked in the Jewish National Library. He also was hired to get various projects. Today, if you have a question, if you want to know where something appears, what do you do?
Speaker 1: You google it?
Speaker 2: You go to Akama. You can find everything. What did we do before this? How did you if you wanted to know who discusses this and who has the answer and where is this found? Yet, there was a few people in the world you could turn to. One of them was from Uashkenazi. I don't even know where I got his address from, but I started sending him questions and wait till you see what he replies and the generosity of spirit and it's not just me. They published the end of last week three volumes of his letters. He kept track of every letter he ever sent, and these letters were to say, now we're incuted in there from all the top scholars in the world. Because everyone turned to him, religious non religious, it didn't matter. So in an era before you could search, and even when you could search, he still was invaluable because he's the sort of person that knew everything about everything. So we'll see a few letters to him and Simon Kofkloff Gimbo. I wrote to him a question, the sort of thing that today I just would go on Outzerkma, plug in the words and I get the answer immediately. But this is taking us way back to the early nineteen nineties. My question was that you sometimes see a reference to a based in mevov Shin. What does that mean memvov Shin today? Like I said, I've written about it already. You can find where I wrote all about it, But I didn't know what it meant. And how am I supposed to know what it means. It's not like I have in encyclopedia memvov Shin. You have to know there was a time when you needed to know which person you can asked. If you have a question about one thing, you asked the question about another thing you asked the other person a few well placed questions. I remember once we were in and we were studying something from the ron were read on Nisshim and doctor Professor Bernard Septimists class, and in the notes in the Filman edition he says, either I can't remember if he doesn't give the right explanation, or he says, I don't know what this means, and pressor Septimists says he'd understand this comment. I think it was I don't. He says, I don't know what the source is. What it means, he says, because Paraceptimist knew what it meant, so he said a few well placed questions he would have been able to solve that. So when he was pairing the addition of the ron, Okay, you could have asked sel Lieberman. You could have asked Professor Tushma. I mean, there are these people who are you, who like have everything at their fingertips in this area. So and by way, these people are still very helpful, not that I'm at there at their level, but some of you had to send me emails. Uh So I try to do my best to uh answer, at least in a couple of areas. I have my hands on lots of things, and that's it's all of It's all a joint effort what we can help each other. So what does it mean based in Mosh memvov Shin. That was my question, and UH in particular, this was used about the based in a Prague, Prague, the Irvan bl As we say, a great uh uh tourist center. Well, before I tell you what the memvov shin stands for, well, actually let me uh. Let's do that first and then I'll tell you why this is the significance. He explains to me that this is the basin in Prague, that the based Prague had a major based in the now Hudo. He talks about the history of what this is and how it's unclear what it meant. Everyone knew that the based in the Prague was the based in Moshe, but even sheer Rashomoud Rappaport, who was the off based in the based in Mosh, he didn't know what the words stood for. And people have given all the letters stood for, people have given all sorts of suggestions. It actually means Morishava, which seems to mean that the that everyone in the based in uh is equal. But it's the based in a progue. But what is this based in a progue? And this is what's so important significant. This was an appeals court in Prague. You had different a couple of different let's say abou Day did, and then you had the based in Mosh was an appeals court. This is quite significant because if you look in the Gamara, you don't have any example of an appeals court. In fact, the Gamara has an expression that one based in after another basin can't challenge it, you can't second guess it. So for example, if you decide to go to the rb RCA based in and the RCA based in rules against you, you can't then go to the Agudasar bunning and say uh, you know, uh over look over this case. And when the chief Rabbinate of their Strow was organized by the British, there always was as hard at chief Rabbi you called it. But when rough Cook was there was made the chief Rabbi and the British wanted to create the whole system. They insisted on an appeals court because you can't have any modern system of law without an appeals court. And they did have it. It is an appeals court based in Agodol in Jerusalem. The official name is based in a good Ol iro rine. It's an appeals court. And you had people in the Hare de Des where Schmowash Gnazi comes from who said that, no, you can't have this. There's no source for this. This is taken from secular law. It's wrong, it's not total and yet it's totally false. Again, it's done as he have told him about this, because you we have had appeals courts. We had appeals courts in Spain, you had in Portugal, you had in Salonica, you had in Jerusalem, you had it in Moravia, and you had it in Prague. So what about this idea that the based in and a based in you can't have appeals court. What does that mean? Well, there's all sorts of explanations as to what it means. Robdehovski from the based in Agodo has an article about this, others having articles about this. All it means is that, as I said, if you go to the RCAA based and you don't like it, then you can't go to another basin. But if you have an entire system where you have a court, and then it's understood that when you go to the court there's also a higher court, then there's no problem because when you go to the lower court you're agreeing implicitly that either party. If there's a problem. They could take it to the appeals court and the Godoli Kadola yastro, every great towers scholar other than like in the super higher ad world do yo say for for Yoshiv you go down the list. The greatest tourist scholars are Jolti. They were all on the base on the Godo Jerusalem, which is the appeals court. But this isn't something new this and then then the most famous one is as I said, in Prague. But if you look at simh Hasof the great Simhasof's book on bday Din butte didn'tasy there am something like that. He has the whole chapter there giving all the evidence for all the different appeals courts that we've had. It seems the earliest are in Spain, and also we have it in Portugal. So that so that you have the micro and the macro. The micro of the question is the based in most that's just the technical term that's used, which I didn't know. Bear it in mind if you ever come across it now for the based in a Prague. What makes it so significant is that it's an appeals court. And that's so for example, the note to be juda or all that it would be any mentions it instantly, and in fact the note of who to in one place he even writes in Germany goes appellantin appeals for Latin. I'm not sure Latin. I guess so that that was the highest court. And if you ever create a court system, you can have an appeals court. Now what do you do today if you go to the RCA basin and you think it's a mistake. I don't think you have any You have no choice because there is no appeal system, and you can't then just decide to go to a basin. That's what the gamora is speaking about. When it's is bastin after another basin doesn't challenge it. But so I guess you're out of luck. If you know the famous I think it was Bennetts that as follows he said about but day did It's interesting, Uh, he said, I if you would go to the rabbi. He's trying to understand something when you when people come out of a basin, two people are arguing over a case, and the one side that loses they come out and they get very angry and they curse the day on you. And he asked the question what's going on here when they if you bring let's say a chicken or even something much more expensive to the rabbi, and the rabbi examines it and you can't find a way to permit it. So he tells you, you know what, you can't use this, and you end up losing a lot of money. People, he said, those days, they accept haw haja. They don't curson the rabbi out. They understand. That's the aha. So why is it Remotorai Bennett's He was the chief rabbi of Nicholsburg. He was rabby Nicholsburg. He says, why he isn't when people have a case in the basin and the basement rules against them, that they end up cursing the basin and get so angry and everything, he says. He says, it's because they're not upset that they lost. All the time they go to the rabbis and they lose money because based on all decisions in this case, they're really upset, but the other guy won. That's why they're cursing the rabbis out because they favored the other person. And so if you go to the RCAA basin, you lose, you know, you can only curse them out because you can't go to the appeals court. You can't go you can't take it higher. Now, the function of the appeals court, it's it's supposed to be if there's issues that weren't raised. I think in Israel, though, it seems to be more of a you don't really need to show that to you. You don't need to show b has a peace on that where he doesn't understand how cases can be brought to the appeals court in Israel just based on the fact that maybe the other the appeals court will decide a lot of differently, because we you know, outside of Israel, you think of an appeals court if there's a problem that you know, maybe it wasn't determined correctly, or there's other issues of law. But in Israel, seems to be standard that if you don't like the decision, you can just go to the higher court and they can overrule it based upon their own sheets up. But that's that's the appeals court. That's number one twenty four, one twenty five. In his letter he cites a number of examples, and one twenty four is another letter to Rabbi Ashkenazi, and this takes us back to nineteen ninety one, A long time ago. I was writing an article, one of my first Scarly articles, not the first one. The first one is also going to We're going to see soon, on the issue of suicide and the world to come, that's what it was called. Was publishing the AJS Review. And I started collecting all these sources because I found something interesting that the concept which many people have heard of, that a suicide has no share in the world to come, which you find very common in the acronym. You don't find it anywhere in the Gamara, you don't find it in the show. So I wanted to explore where does this idea come from, that a suicide has no share in the world to come? And I had collected a number of sources on my own. I've seen discussions of it, but I wrote too. I just in case I overlooked things. I wrote to Rabi Ashkenazi just a question, you know, a short question on a postcard. He sends me back a very long letter. This is before the Internet, before all these databases, and he cites all these sources beginning relevant, beginning with Josephus and then Yo see Pone R see poem is not Josephis the Khalilo will did him know that? It's Arabic text going through a Bachya radac right for doc doesn't say you have no share in the world to come. It just says you're punished in the world to come. But going on the Zore is interesting because the zor says shim show doesn't have a share in the world to come because he says, musa pushting Uh let me am I die with the push teams. So is that uh, maybe that's an example of I didn't cite this in my article. There are but in numerous other sources. Uh, with all these things but both different directions of Uh. The last one he cites is from Yoshashah and this nothing sin that he goes shig is everyone has this idea that you know, there's no share in the world to come. So that's just the the various sources I Uh, you can see in my article. Uh he called attention to one thing in particular that I cite.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what the zoor means would be strange if the it could be. I think probably what the or means there is that that shim Shun didn't have faith, that's why, and he decided to kill himself when you shouldn't have not not that per se the idea of a suicide, because we have all these other examples where they say, on the contrary is suicide you're you can pray for a suicide. A suicide does have the world to come. So I don't know. When I do my collected essays one day and I put them all together, I'll revisit these passages. Some people say explicitly a suicide has the world to come, sharing the world to come. But there's nothing like this explicitly, at least in the Gamara. So that's raby Ashkenazi's and you'll see in the new volume, the three volumes. That's what everyone's doing. Everyone's writing to him asking him, do you know this? Do you know that these sorts of people who know everything in their head, they're less valuable today than they used to, but they're still I mean you still you're never gonna find everything, even if you have access all these uh these great databases. Biko is not as valuable as it used to be because everyone can find sources. And so now is the question what you do with the sources, and what about sources that can't be located on oats Er Hachmo. And still there's a skill. It's not not a Hofma, but it's a skill to to searching on Oatser a Huffmo, but to make no mistake about it. So the bikios is not the same. So when you see some micro vood yos who has his hand on anything that's before you had Oatsera Hoffman and all these things. If you know how Oltzer Hoffmo works, you can see certain writers today and you know they're citing it from Ozer Hachma. You know that all the bikios comes from the computer. It's like what do they say? The the aga is out. They put it in and it pops out, the popping them thing and the information comes out. And sometimes you see they're citing from the incorrect sources because they're just citing it from them. They don't know what they're sighting there. I've seen some examples where they just cite from the title page, not realizing what's on the inside. It's a different author, but real the kiot, not o halba Kiot still has value. Now we've ended the section dealing with what I called Tiku and Soufrie and we're picking up with Simon Ray kufcuff Hey, page two fifty nine. And this brings us to my very first academic article. I was taking a class in college on the Jews of Spain. The first time I ever read Yitzak Behar's unbelievable works, The Jews of Christian Spain. But I don't know how I found out about this, but I started researching it and then I published it, The idea of the Harem on Spain. What is this idea of a from on Spain? Well, there is was a common belief that after the expulsion of Spain, the rabbi is declared a harm a ban on return to Spain. Their rabbies did say, you can't go back to Spain. But that's because any we have various tacanote in communities. Because when these Jews had left, they've gone also Portugal, they've gone to let's say, the Netherlands or Hamburg, or they were in England. What happened is that they were still doing business with Spain and they would return to Spain. And when they returned to Spain, they had to live as a Christian because they couldn't live openly as Jewish and they'd be executed. So obviously you couldn't allow people to go back. And there's all sorts of taco Note that if you do return to Spain for like a year, you can't have an alia. It was crazy to go back to Spain. I mean it was dangerous. You could be caught and killed, and there were people who were but people for money, you would go back. But there never was a favor a band on going back to Spain. But this became an issue because at the end of the nineteenth century Spain Jewish community in Spain had already it was existing already for a few decades and started growing. And then Jews who had to leave Germany for World War two, the Spain was an option, and so people started talking about Spain. Are you allowed to go to Spain? Is there a lot of prohibition? It's amazing that all the all the Godoli who've discussed this issue, so cooker, cook all the you go through the list, all the chief rebais and then more modern ones. Because of my letter, and then after the Holocaust, there was also discussion for the simple reason that there were those who wanted to declare a ban. He said, the rabbi should declare a ban on living in Germany. And they said, just like the rabbis declared a band, I'm living in Spain, they should declare a band I'm living in Germany. Ribilaak of Weinberg was even asked, should we have a harem on living in Germany? And he said, no, you can't make such a band. People need parnossa. There's reasons to go. Michaeul am Roth, the Komavaser, was asked about this and he discusses the harem in Spain and says there was no harem in Spain, and so that's why there was this on this. So I wrote an article. You can read about it in the journal cephar Rod. Sephar Rod is a journal. It's been appearing since the nineteen forties. I believe none in the thirties. I think it begins in the forties, which is a journal of Judaic scholarship by Spanish scholars. Most of it is in Spanish, some of it is in English. There was a chair from i think it's nineteen fifteen of Jewish Studies the University of Madrid. Avraham as Yahoo DA Avram. I think it's Shomo Huda, Yeahuda. He came from Jerusalem, a big scholar, Bible scholars, all sorts of interests. And he was in Spain and he was a. He had a chair there there a chair in Spain. He's a. He came from Jerusalem, and he had good relations with the Arabs. He was. I think he was Baghdaddy, I believe, for I'm not sure which community he was. But he thought that the Zionists messed everything up, that the Jews and the Arabs could have got along together. Chime Whitesman wrote a book, Trial and Error. Yahoo Dah wrote a reply doctor Whitesman's errors on Trial but Yahoo does. He wrote a book on Egyptology, trying to show that you can see from the Torah the recognition of Egyptian civilization, which means that it had to have been written in the Egyptian times, because you can't have a work written let's say a thousand years later that has you have all these Egyptian words in let's saying Schmos, Egyptian terms and names, pinahles for instance, Marario, all the lot of there's a lot of the Egyptian stuff. Now this has to preserve authentic memory, because otherwise, if you're writing it a thousand years later, you couldn't have this. H So Yahoo does book. I don't think check if it's on Google. He has a whole book on Egyptology and the Torah. But he wrote on many areas and he was in Spain. Incidentally, the expulsion order, the expulsion of the Jews of Spain was only officially lifted in December of nineteen sixty eight. Before that time, technically, and this is written in the Expulsion Order, which would see online Jews found in Spanish territory could be executed and so but jew started returning. It was there was I mean, it had become the secular country. It didn't matter anymore. But technically it was on the books till sixty eight. And it was only in nineteen eighty six that Spain establishes diplomatic relations with Israel. This is thirty eight years after the founding of the state and three years after the Socialist assumed power. During Franco's time, they didn't have relations Alo Franco. There's suspicion that he might have Franco's as the one on Syrian name s Fardaic name. He might have had some Jewish blood. It's not clear there were Jews that were saved during his time. It has dictator but h okay. So so my question was, though, you know, is there such a concept of Kiermont Spain? And I why I knew? I knew? Holfically, it's not relevant. Everyone who dealt with it shows no. Of course, there's no a heier Mont Spain. And vad Jose visited in nineteen seventy seven. There's no issue of visiting there, living there or anything. But I wanted to get more sources for my article, and I wanted to know what the current chiefrab I say. So I first wrote too, of Mordecai el Yahoo. This was in nineteen eighty seven, so we're talking a long time ago. And where's he? First I wrote to Mortefail Yahu. Here he is. The next person I wrote to, I'll just show you the picture. Now, that's for Vavom Shapiro, who was also Chief Rabba. He's there, he is with President Bush number one. That's my question. Is there a concept of a harem on Spain? And the first reply from Rabbi mor was that he says, I don't know anything. About it other than what he was the chief rabbi, not the one directly for him, the one before that. Also about daddy that he is. And he says that we don't have anything explicitly written in. He thinks that maybe there's a hint to it because the beats and most of Trani says that there's no Jews living in Aragon and we're sure none will come. And he says, well, this implies that they said that no one should return, which I did say, although it's not an official player, they did say, you know, you shouldn't go back there. But Morpa says, we don't have any real sources on it, and uh, obviously this doesn't apply if you visit there. We do trips to Spain. God will, we'll return our trips to Spain. Those are some of our favorite trips. Spain incidentally also includes Barcelona, which in medieval times that's not Sepharad in Barcelona where the Ramban is, that's Catalonia. That's Spain. Is is Castile and Aragon. Uh, all the way in the north there coast to France. They even speak a different language up there. If you remember, was it two years ago they had this revolt they wanted to. But today we regard it all as after the expulsion, because they were expelled from everywhere. Cepharad then included everywhere. And the Rambam he always, even though he's living in Egypt, he always regards himself as from Sparad. So that's from Morte, who from Shapiro through his secretary. He didn't write it personally like mor who his letter is personally and signed by him. It's just the chief Rabbi tells me to tell you that. Although it's explained in a number of books that dealt with Reyermont Spain, there's no source for this. But there was such a hyrom and look today there's a nice, big Jewish community in Spain with with Robunnim and just opened up last year, a year and a half ago. No, it's actually a year and a half. A yeah, a bad house in Girona. There's no Jews in Gerona. There are no Jews. Well, I take that back. You never know. It could be Israelis or something, but there there's no community in Gerona. But you're out of tourists and everyone goes to Gerona because there's a big museum there about the Hamandi's museum and uh, it's the center of Jewish mysticism. So for all the tourists who come, they walk by, they'll see, Uh, there's a cobad house that you go in and uh, and he says that there are Jews who live in like surrounding towns. A Jew here or Jew there. There's always araielis wherever you go, so like, uh, they'll have holiday services. But we had our we had our lunch there in the Kabbad house in Girona. But uh, you're all invited to come and I'll tell you something about Madrid and then I'll share it with you next way at in Madrid. Well, let me share it to you next week, because I don't want to get off topic. I'll make a note of it's something you can eat in Madrid that we can't eat in well, until recently you couldn't eat in America. So I'll get to that next week. I want to take you now to the next response, and this is Kuskoff Zion. We're moving, we're getting along. We shall finish one day, page two sixty, and it's to this Rabbi new figure you are looking at Rabbi Chaim David Hav hall Av Storry, the chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv. Before that is our coll using mishow. He's the author of many works, most famously I don't know how many volumes you have to check. It's called say, well, these are responds to the hero. But they were like simple well in simple language, without going into much many capouli, but maybe they were quite popular. He also wrote volume called mahim Raim. She wrote he wrote like sorts uh. And he was an important person in the public, uh, in religious public. He was a mazrachi person, fascinating figure. He is the subject of a biography actually uh this work by uh father and son Teine or by Mark Angel Raby him Angel Rajaim w Hayve gentle scholar and courageous thinker. As it says here in the description, he served as Sarfi chi tel Aviv, influenced by the profound and compassionate teachings of his mentor of Vincio Ziel Rabby Alevi represented the best in the Sparta tradition of Judeo Spanish sharadim. So what does that mean? Represented the best in the Spanish tradition well as opposed to the worst. You know what I mean by the best is that he represented the old Spartic mentality of tolerance, of openness to UH, secular knowledge, to a wide ranging curriculum, to the poetry of Spain, to pashut to UH, to the various commentators, to the Jewish thinkers, the Jewish philosophers, and also kaba, But not Kabala in the sense of magic and uh. You know these guys who go around who can read your palm and give you a brough if you pay them. No, No, Kabbala as a Jewish theosophy, as a as a as a repository of Jewish wisdom and moderation of a clam av. That's a theme in the book of the Spartan Rabbi of old, who the entire community was he went to him. Not everyone was so observant, but the rabbi understood that he's responsible for everyone in the community. So he was able to reach out and love to all members of the community, no matter what their level of religiosity. The opposite, I guess you could say, of connot so for by Mark Angel if you know his own philosophy. Obviously, Rabbi l Av would be someone that he would lock up to and would be the model of Judaism that he would advocate, and that's indeed why they wrote the book. My question to a clim Wlav was as follows, and this goes back to nineteen eighty nine. We were just talking before about what is said about Leah she went out dressed like a Harlot. Well, that's not. In the Hummish. You can find all sorts of examples, most famous. I think most people know this because you learn it early on when you're a kid in school. It says Noah was it sounded for his generation?
Speaker 1: So what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Gamara says that it's right on Rashi as well. What does it mean? Some say that only in his generation he was at sadig. If he lived in another generation, uh, you know, his generation was so bad that any one who's had it halfway decent, is it sadig. He lived in another generation, he wouldn't be any big deal. And the other posing opinion is that no, he was at soadig his generation, but had he lived in the generation of Avraham, then he would have been needing a greater at sadi because he would have been raised by his generation. But how can you say that he says he's a sadig. Say, he's really not such a sady. It's only because of his generation. A couple of weeks ago we had the partially he says, your safe went in to do his work. He just drink of shot. He went in to do his work. But if you look one of the interpretations as he went in to go sin with Multiphar as a wife, and you can find over and over again where Hazau read things in a negative way that if you look at the shot, Hey, if you look at the shot bill them, Bilgm doesn't look so bad. And what does Bilham do that's so bad? Uh? He says these wonderful things about the Jews.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: When the people come to him, he says yes to he can't go with them to uh to ball up. He has to you know, sleep on it. And uh. Even a sub for that matter, if you just read the shock, a sub doesn't come out looking so bad. Uh. Although a sub is different because as I've already said before, I think some of the midrosin that make aluff looks so bad and not necessarily speak on asam, but I really like uh, asov is a representative Eddon for Rome or leader Christian Empire, or maybe even as David Eistrom wronging us a few weeks ago, did he David? Or maybe in responsible David said even for Jesus. It could be that sometimes Billum's mentioned it. Really he's a stand in for Jesus. But we have plenty of examples. And is the the the makoshiits eight seem the one who goes out and gathers on the shaves. So uh is that soft clood? So someone says soft cloud in the in their abbies and the response says, well, so the tower didn't say this, So if you're right, it's Lushi and horror. If you're wrong, it's mostly shameless. So my question, torb Halve, was how do the sages offer these interpretations? Because if the Tora doesn't tell us this, why is this not u it's a Lushian horror? I said, Russian horror, But I mean technically Rushian horra doesn't apply according to many, at least if someone's not alive. But it's it's defaming someone's character. It's another problem. It's not technically Rushian horror. How can you speak bad say bad things about it, said, Tora doesn't mention it, even if you think it's true. How do you have the right How did the sages of old have the right or feel like it was important to offer these interpretations which make Lea, for instance, look bad. Isn't this wrong? I was asking, I mean, not that I'm criticizing Hasa. I want to know, how does this work? What's going on here? And he replies to me as fobbles that every everything we see in the interpretations of the sages that refers to Camora mid rush. And I would say, even I guess you get to uh uh rashow name because occasionally the reshowname even or for interpretations like this, he says, this is a meetshal Tora. This is part of the Torah. And he says that Tono wished, according to this understanding, that too wished that we would know that which the rabbis explained. In other words, when the rabbis are explaining it, and it's not that you have Tora and then you have their giving their interpretation which makes someone look bad. No, no, it's this is part of Tora. The Tora wishes us to have these understandings. So why, Well, you can give all sorts of reasons, because then we can understand why is Ui is and we can understand why yak Over responded that way, and we can explain all sorts of reasons why it's important for us to know this information. And of course you have to explain why did the tora tell us, and that you can also give explanations of why the tora. There's all sorts of ways you can understand why the Torah didn't. It could be it's just a sometimes I think the reason is because it's not meant for everyone. Getting back to this old issue, remember the story of it says that they wouldn't well, they wouldn't read certain things. Well, I don't want to get into Nashia. It could be that certain explanations maybe not everyone's supposed to know. I don't know. You can come with those sorts of reasons. And he says, regarding what I said about Noah, was it sadik in his generation? He's saying that that from the interpretation of the person who says it means he's only it's sodik in his generation. This is the Tora saying, it's not like you have the torah and then you have an interpretation separately. No, this is what the tora's saying. So by explaining it this way, you are revealing what the torah wants you to know. So it's the question which I asked, well, how is this? You know this is revealing something extra that maybe wouldn't be better that we wouldn't reveal this. The answer is no, because the Tora dafka wants us to know this, And then of course we just need to playing well, then why why is the tar written in a cryptic way? But that you can ask about everything is about that. Everything we have. There's a reason why certain things are written explicitly and other things are only to be derived. I always assume that matters like this, the ikar is one and the the other is like a told. It's not necessary. It's not necessary to know whether it's noh was it soadi can only in his generation or an ad generation. Tara says it is a Sadi, so you can assume he's a Sadiq whenever he was. You don't need to know that it's not it's not an e car. It's not essential to know that. But the tara is telling you. According to that interpretation that this is what it is. So if you're able to learn and you know, go beyond the simple meaning, then you'll be initiated into that. And then he says that the it's not Russian, Horra, and he says, just this is no different that like the Toa writes about other people like love them as all the way. As I said, he's much worse own love one. Love One's not a good character. Why is it right about love on? Of course I don't think it's such a good answer, because love on love One's are Russian, so of course you can write question her say bad things about love on and asaf Also, I was Dafa speaking about people like Noah who are not portrayed that way, but have I how A he sees it is the same. He says that the Tara tells us these things, either explicitly or giving it in a way that you're supposed to see it. And since the tar is saying it, uh, this isn't something separate, you can't ask why was it done? Although I mentioned in the case of the of Tough they do mention, but that's the stages asking that. And it says they tell the story of the ego and the spies, the spies, that's that's saying a bad thing. You could say, why is the terre tell us about the spies? It makes them look bad. The answer is to the tur wants us to know certain truths, And he says, yeah, this is the explanation. Otherwise you can't tell anything of her. And he says it's and for the bad people, it's a midsto to explain the bad things they did. And of course you look in the stages. They don't just say about Torra figures, that say about other figures. And throughout history this is a it's attention, which I don't know what the answer is, because on the one hand, you're not supposed to say bad things. On the other hand, we know you're supposed to expose the hypocrites. And if someone who we think is a pious person did something bad, we're supposed to let people know about it. So at the end of the day, it seems that there's confusion as to how far you're supposed to take this. Look. If you're writing a work of history, of course you're supposed to write what happened. And if one rabbi did a terrible thing to another rabbi. You don't have to write it. They write it themselves, the other rabbis. So the assumption seems to be that something done publicly, that it's important for people to know that it's okay to mention it. And I think the stories that we saw, the shocking stories about the rabbis criticizing other rabbis, is because the other rabbi is supposed to see this and learn from this. The rev beat the robach he asks about, he has a response and which he wants to know about some of these stories that don't that you know. It talks about certain rabbis were given sexual temptations, and why would you tell a story like this. There's a famous story, I mean, travel very far is Sitsus saved him from sinning, and the rabbach Jesus has actually a praise that you see that they were today. We wouldn't regard it as a praise. If anyone told a story like this that a great guddle traveled far to the prostitute and only at the last minute was we wouldn't think that that's praise. But the Rabach thinks this has praised these stories because it shows that even the greatest people, they were able to overcome their inclinations. Relical Staying somewhere writes he actually appreciates that approach because he says that if you look at the godol in literature we have, you have nothing like Augustine's confessions. Augustine wrote a work, an all of biographical work, and which you spoke about how as a youth, what a sinner he was today you can never have that because if you have a Baltshuvo becomes a great tois sage, he'll never want to reveal how he was in his youth, and no one would ever write about. In fact, they cover it up. Rabbi Wolby, for instance, the famous Rabbi Wolby is a book comes from a completely you've show me a great muster figure. But he came from a completely irreligious family. And yet if you read the Karadia newspapers after he passed away, to make him seem like he was a toroisage from his youth, and this and that he came his father was an atheistic, a pro atheist, I say, committed irreligious, certainly professor in Berlin. He came from an irreligious background entirely. And after This appeared one of the habituaries, I think it was in a Jewish tribune in London. Someone wrote a piece and saying, why can't you tell the truth. This is a great mila for him that he grew up in this non religious home and he was able to become religious. But in that world they won't want to say this or about reversing rights. That we don't have anything like Augustine's confessions. And he thinks that's a problem because look, we have Rebbiapiva, we have what Raci Luckish the Kamara tells us about these people. So it shows that if you're if you're eight, you shouldn't be ashamed of your past. Don't be ashamed of ras Scheinberger. We're never ashamed of the fact that they could tell you all the baseball players in the nineteen forties and fifties. Then they moved beyond that, but they weren't ashamed by it. And I yet, I know a certain rabbi who may believe in public and he comes from that he didn't know who the who the Yankees were. Literally may believe he didn't know who the Yankees were. And this is someone who came from a non religious background, believe it or not. But I mean he felt like you literally had to make believes and didn't know who the Yankees were that they were said their baseball team or something. We don't need to make believe with that stuff. Oh it's already nine thirty three. Let me take the questions and comments. Thank you, Mel, as always, Mel, You're not a yucky but I appreciate it. Burk says. Congregacial singing is the way I recall the expression, rather than communal singing. Right, congregational, communal, they're all the same. This is really an American thing. The Young Israel movement. It used to be. And listen to the hasen and whenever I need to know shoals that have the hosen my senses. You're not supposed to do anything. You're supposed to sit and listen to the hasen. But the the way we have it today where we sing, you go to siwash min yuni, even for Dodi who sings it to the hasinal sing it. Then you mumble, I guess between sections between each little section there you take the tar out of the ark. You don't say they. So this is a this is important, and this is an American thing. It's not really traditional, but a lot of things in Europe they didn't do it, but today we do it. That explains, incidentally, why there's been a backlash in one area against this all of us here. I think we used to be with my age and older. We grew up in hallow singing. Remember we used to sing oh do we would sing it all together. Although really you're supposed there are shohan sort of like as I recall, justify is that? But you're really it's supposed to be It's supposed to be responsive. That's one of the achievements of art school, the arts girl sitter. I remember how it took a while, but now if you start singing yom are now with the haas and someone will shush you. And really arts Girl's right, it's supposed to be responsive. But because we became a community where we sing together, and if you look for example on Russia, Shana young Kipper, the master will tell you responsive. Again, we sing it all. We don't do it responsive, So I don't know really if there's any difference. We do a lot of things where they tell you responsive, but the congregational singing is vital in the modern orthodox seegoos. You need that, so Zana says, I don't get it. Learning to lane is a valuable skill. How would all the backyard and function without multiple people who can lane? Well, you're always going to have people who can laying. The question is does every kid need to lane? My friend wrote to me. I asked her about this just today. My friend in Lakewood who his son did learn to lane. He says he gave the reason as to why. He says that in Yeshimas they don't allow young boys to lane. They they have an issue with the fact that many boys don't lank correctly, or laying by heart, or or laying it by heart in or it's not reading it. You're always gonna have people who can lane. There's always generally you have someone who can laye. The question is does every kid need to lane? And often they don't do very well. Sometimes they make a lot of mistakes. Orbanovich, he said that you don't need to correct the bar Mitza boy because it's embarrassing to him and the busha the embarrassment to him is worse because there she says that you can doesn't have to be perfect laning. So he thought that for a bar mitza boy, because there are sometimes you have the bar mitzvo. He makes a lot of mistakes. So Susanna says, Theeminnite minha is Delaine or Eliah when you're called up, Well, that used to be everyone used to do that. The Yemenites will lane before they're thirteen. They can lane at seven, eight years old. They used to. So today you're saying they still You can lame if if you know it. I've told the story a number of times. Well I did it a couple of weeks ago, more than a couple of weeks of bray sheets, because that's my son's bar Mitsa parsha, and I told it to him. So they called me up for the master. So I said, I can lame the landing the after also, But I told the story a number of times and I still regret it. And since we have people from looking outen from Boston, this happened at Kadima turismosals, so you could tell them once. I was there for shaba Is visiting and they it was Partia Zahler and they gave me Partias. I was doing the hot. They gave me the master, and I told them that I could laan it and I laned it, and I laned it perfectly. And how did I do that? Because that's my Partia's parsias pisadsing, so I know h parsha zaher. But later I felt guilty about this because they're probably think later that I'm like some expert I know if I can just call me up out of the blue. I didn't know I was getting moster and all of a sudden I can say I can lay it. They think I know every single tower aportion, which isn't true. All I know is say and a few reshowns that I've laned in my son's partio was so I felt that afterwards that that was I didn't think of it till later, but I gave the wrong impression that I'm some Germany reader here who just laying. We all know people who could lay in the hotel ra. My neighbor growing up was the older man that my friend's grandfather would lain every week. He knew the entire tower by heart. But that's not me work, says Middress says Yako was eighty four when he married. Yes, and some there's a middress that speaks about les twenty two. But there's another source that speaks of ruffle as I think sorry as thirteen or fourteen. Uh, I'll get back to drunk you'll see. I'll show you next week toookim. I'll show you the sixth to dus z a caneam, and I'll show you the four no. And I'll show you an unbelievable parallel, which I think will you'll find fascinating. That one says in the story, Lean and Ruchel are portrayed negatively by the mid Rush. I don't remember Rocco, So okay, we'll get the bar save the drunkenness next week, and wait till you see what I say. Howard says he dobvined in Moroccan family Minion, and he received in Alia, and they could not understand why they didn't want to lame the portion of the iliya I received. Well, they were then pretty learned, because I'm in Moroccan shoals. When we go to Morocco and they're the people the average person doesn't know how to lane, but if you know how to lane, certainly you should lay. When we were in Morocco in January one year ago, they gave me an Aliya, and he asked me, do I want to lay in it? And I said no, but I didn't know the landing. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 3: But Mark, if I can say the trip when we went to Morocco the summer before, when you stayed in the hotel and event we went to the shool, so that was in Israel. They were like a parsha ahead. You remember that whole thing. So they had a whole discussion. They said, okay, they're going to do also bublock, I think they did, and then they cleffed on the table and they just called the guy they pointed to one of the Moroccan people. He just came up like out of the blue and he just laying the entire partia without alias nothing. So h even now in Morocco, the people know these some of them know how to laying without warning.
Speaker 2: If and that's about it. That's in Marrakesh, not in Casaboncasrakesh. Of course, if you, if you grow up, but doing the old Startic way where you do each partia with the meme, then it'll be uh much easier for you. Someone asked me why my articles are not in academia. I haven't yet got a chance to do it. Uh Barry says there was a Jewish medical ethics and debate in the Lea. Lelo was the journal that was published by Jews College, like the English to English Tower Journal in England between Fred Rosner and Reve Jakobovitz about speaking at this conference, where doctor Jacobovitz cited to the connote of Hanover Germany that have someone returned to Spain, he could not receive in Alia for a year, I'm very nice, so he did not want to speak in Germany. And for one day when Jacob spoke, conference moved outside Germany. That's actually mentioned this not about the Hunover, but in his discussions with Michael Shashar he mentions that he didn't want to go into Germany, and I believe it mentions that about the conference moving outside Germany. But today Germany is is it's the only community in Europe where Judaism Jewish population is growing. It's a there's Yeshiva's there and there's communities. So but he in Chakova Getz himself, I mean he comes from Germany, his family, his father was a die in there. It was much more I guess personal and close to him not to go there. I mean, he didn't tell other people not to go there. There's Jews living there. I understand that people don't want to go. And we haven't had a Germany trip since the first two, but we would like to have another one because, as I've said before, if you're not going to go to all the places where they've killed the Jews, Germany is just more recent. But they did it in England, they did it in France, They've done it. They've done it all over unfortunately. And Barry says that his mentor Rebbi mark Angel introduced me to the writings of Rebel av As. He told me that you and Ashkenazi should understand the true Sephardic thinking. And really it comes from rebby Uzziel, because reb Uzziel, who was in Salonica, he carried on this fartic approach of openness. I guess that's the term. And yes, ra by Kelman says, Rabbi hall Av was the first major posts Ak to say smoking is forbidden, and then later many many others. In fact, today I don't know do any real major posts can say it is not forbidden.
Speaker 1: But uh.
Speaker 2: Uh, making of a god was banned? No, I don't. Making of a goodo was banned because they told about the the the authentic stories supposedly authentic in which not all the rabbis turned came out looking so great. So this rabbi had a temper and this rabbi and rabbi had had negative things about someone else rabe Kamenetski and the introduction says that he thinks that we can respect these godoie moore if you see them who they were. How Schmoui says in many issuevas they sing Dodi, I did not know that every sue been to the Jasen sings. And you're supposed to mumble the other paragraph, Okay, Coming to the end, Rabbi yes Bara reminds us that's beginning tomorrow. Rabei Kamina mention it the expert laner. I mean, he's not the only expert lainer. There's other expert laners, but he's he's very I like him very much, and he enunciates certain things that other people don't. And you can see him on why you tell her Rabbi jeremy reader, he was the mistaken the Israel Bible contest winner, right uh world winner or something so so and he's he's different than the other Russia Achieva and that he has a much broader sense of of certain aspects. Uh so, I encourage everyone, okay. Congresstional singing in America was innovated by the Young Israel Movement to increase interest in dobbining for American born youth. As I said, yes, we can thank the Young Israel movement for this. In those days, the Young Israel movement though they didn't want rabbis. They actually Mordechai Captain one of the founders of it, but they thought that rabbi is sort of like kibutst t in Israel, that the young generation, what do they need these rabbis for these European type of rabbis and a they wanted that shows without rabbis. You wonder with all these Covid Mignon name where they're running through it fast without the rabbis. All these people are telling me they like it. That's sort of like what the Young Israel was that you know, if you had a shila, you know that it's the rabbi. But they didn't want to actually dovin every week with the rabbi, with the sermons and this and that I'll see whether when COVID's done, if people are so happy returning, I think it's a problem. Someone in my town was mentioning that they're worried that after this happens, people are going to continue they're being young you, but then it'll be like then it's a problem because then you're you're making a break with the community. But they they you know other I believe it was the young Israel Susanna where they began with the singing, but it's not again. In Europe, you didn't have that. You had the hozonos, so did I lain zachar with just a saies. So it's a good question you asked, because I what I did is as follows. It's become Uh. I'm very attentive to this because it's my partia. So growing up, whenever you laned, you laned tim as m tis zeham like you just repeated the four words. Abad, by the way, only says the one word. Somehow, in the last twenty years or so, it's become now that you have to repeat the whole pusser And if you don't repeat the whole pussect, they'll tell you you have to repeat it, it's become even though I know I think for the actually in your repeat all puscle, but others I think Remosha and others said, no, doct You're not supposed to be the whole puzzle. You're just supposed to do Ti Ti I did, just tim Tim zecher I. And but later I told her of a health finger that I don't believe you need to repeat it at all, because the massoua in Europe was only to say zeer not. Of course it's hard eve when we say but they don't say this thing with but this is a this is the influence of the mission of Brewer that we we repeat it in in Europe before the war it was pretty uncommon, and if you go back two hundred years ago, it was basically unheard of. But that's them in hug You can't argue with the city hall. So but at least when you do ke SATs say you don't repeat it only on Persian.
Speaker 3: And our shall they repeat the whole wholl three suki.
Speaker 2: And I've never heard that before. Come on, I'm not pulling your leg, I'm up on your leg.
Speaker 3: They rate, they rate the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that's what we called. That's the way called Tirhay. And I'll end with this, so you take this. It's a if you come on the Central Europe trip, you'll learn where the notion came from that women are obligated in partia suffer because women are not obligated in partia Sohler. It's not ala so it's a mississ Satius mong grandma uh or not miss sorry. It's it's some say, but we assume it's connected to Muhamma, a war and women as it says name Mohamma. They made a big joke a few years ago because you know the Karadi, we don't want to go to the army. We're saying that we're not soldiers. We were in Torah. So the big joke going around was that they should be put there from partial Sohler because they said we're not the name Mohamma. And that's the reason the Saint Forrino gives why women So women are not obligating. But it's become the minnug for women to hear it. It goes back to Musson Adler, the great of Messonata, we spoke about a few weeks has now become very popular. Although are Nasha Klang awful without it? He says, whoever heard of this in Europe? He thinks it's like feminist. But Rabbi our own felder. But we've spoken about You saw me in a picture with him, he records in his safer and he's a toma milk or emotion that Ramosha was very opposed to this practice of taking the safer tora out after dobbining and reading it a second time for the women, because it's not alaha, and uh, you know, if they're not there, we don't just take the torr out. Stump. I really have to say, I don't understand, uh this point of Eramosha and the love didn't have an issue with it because you're let's take a tower out to read it. We take a tower out for the Barmitsi boy practice, you could take a tear out to learn. So I don't see what's the why Ramosha had an issue with this that you couldn't take it out. Maybe because he thought it was like a schecker. You're implying that it is an obligation. But Ramosha did not believe in taking the safer tora out to read for the women a second time precisely because they're not. But that's not the med on it, okay, and we thank you. And just A en mel Or says that they do sing in Lakewood and essential they do sing binochila, And yes, the conservative synagogues are very worried because now you can live in Florida and still belong to your soul in New Jersey on Shelvist because you can go by zoom. That that's gonna be the real impact on the non orthodox Synegons.
Speaker 1: Okay. This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen