Speaker 1: Students recognize that there was intention behind the entire class. So I'm sure we've all been to a class. I'm sure we've taught classes where we come in we don't have a plan and it's kind of just like throwing things to the students and seeing kind of what unfolds. Versus when you come in with a plan and you teach something intentionally in the beginning and you revisit it later, the students have this light bulb that goes off that says, oh, my teacher cares. My teacher put the time and attention into this experience curated for me.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, and welcome back to NYYT where you are learning to level up your yoga teaching one masterful class at a time. This episode is called creative versus Intentional sequencing and how foreshadowing fixes it With Charlotte Muller, I'm giggling because I've tried to record this unique intro about twelve times now. There's a very long, very medical sounding name that I just cannot pronounce in this, but I'm going to give it my best. Go wish me luck. Charlotte is a yoga teacher, studio owner, and yoga teacher trainer with a sweet spot for intentional sequencing. She is the founder of the Breathe Strength Sequencing Hub, a membership for yoga teachers to support class planning and continued education. Her teaching experience began in twenty twelve after turning to exercise, yoga, and overall wellness to navigate her genetic condition. Here it comes fingers crossed familial hypercholesterolomia not bad. While grieving the loss of her mom, Yoga has shaped the way she lives her life, and helping other teachers have sustainable teaching careers fills her heart. I had an amazing time chatting with her and we really dove into what exactly is intentional sequencing and her concept of foreshadowing the art of introducing ideas, movements, and transitions early so that students feel prepared, confident, and connected throughout the entire class experience. We chatted about why students can feel when a class was thoughtfully prepared, technique Charlotte uses in every single class that she teaches, how a tiny preview early in the class can create a major aha moment later, why intentional sequencing creates trust between teacher and student, How philosophy, theming and sequencing can work together instead of competing for attention, and how pregnancy completely change Charlotte's relationship with movement, queuing, and teaching. Whether you're a newer teacher trying to plan better classes or a seasoned teacher looking to refine your craft, this conversation will help you think differently about how classes are built and why even the smallest moments often create the biggest impact. I love this conversation with Charlotte, and I know you will too, So turn it up and let's dive in. Hey Yogi's Mackenzie fly Here Mom, yoga prineer, teacher, trainer, retreat leader, and your guide to master your yoga teaching. This podcast is your weekly dose of actionable wisdom and candid chats with industry experts. Learn to connect deeper, weave yogaic magic, and lead by example. Full disclosure, I'm still mastering it too, but together will skyrocket your impact and income. Hit subscribe and let's grow one episode at a time. What's up, everybody, and welcome back to m yyt I am so stoked for today's guest. Welcome, Welcome to Charlotte Muller. Thank you for being on the podcast. Of course, thanks for having me. I can't wait to dive in with you. Yes we are, I was saying before we clicked record. It feels like, at least from my perspective, that there's some common similarities and just a a similar call on our heart to serve the same type of people being yoga teachers. So I have so many things that I want to pick your brain about today. The first which in some ways I'm slapping my own wrists because my biggest pet peeve during both of my pregnancies was when anybody asked me how are you feeling? But because it happens all the time, you know when you're pregnant and people are asking you how you're feeling. But I would like to know if you're open to sharing just how your pregnancy is going and how things are feeling, literally in your body or just energetically. Yeah, so how how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Absolutely I never get sick of this question, so feel free to ask it a million times in this podcast.
Speaker 2: I feel amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm twenty five weeks along, so three more weeks of the second trimester, and I just have so much energy and I'm so grateful and I have no aches and pains. I'm like, this is a pregnancy straight from heaven, and I just feel really grateful every day. It's been a journey to get here. It took me a while, had some loss, so I think that just like the trouble and the journey, just makes it even that much sweeter and makes me appreciate all of the little moments. So I'm feeling so good, I'm feeling so grateful.
Speaker 2: Good. Oh, I'm so glad to hear it. And I'm glad that that question doesn't annoy you. In both of my pregnancies, and I also had a couple losses before it actually took and I remember just being so blindsided with the whole process of getting pregnant and frustrate man talk about like releasing control, and I didn't really realize how not necessarily type A, but how much I wanted to control the situation, and how when it wasn't happening when I wanted it to happen, how consuming thoughts of becoming pregnant are, and how obsessive you can get during that time. So I'm just feeling for you, empathizing for you you and your journey, and also wanting to speak to anybody who's maybe navigating that currently and how sensitive you feel and all of a sudden, I mean obviously this like particulator reticulating activator system inside of when you want to be pregnant, then all you see is pregnant people and all this stuff and you just feel I felt like this open wound walking around that was so sensitive that my heart. You know, it felt like even if a fly landed on me, I'd be like, oh yeah, so, just wanting to send some love to people who have experienced that, and you too. I felt so sick though during both of my pregnancies. However, because of dealing with loss, it ended up being very comforting to me that I did feel sick, because it made me feel like I was actually pregnant and things were going well and I was having the right pregnancy hormones too. So while I was happy, I was also so sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally feel that, Like I kind of had the opposite experience during my first time master. I felt so normal and so good, and that gave me spirals of anxiety. Yeah, I'm very grateful to feel physically good, but this physical good feeling is totally messing with my mental so I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. My first I carried all the way until twelve weeks, and then went in for the twelve week appointment, and they basically were like, I'm so sorry, there's no heartbeat. And the whole time I remember being like, I feel great. I feel great, you know, and was feeling good about that. So I feel like I also would have been anxious the second time around if I wouldn't have been feeling well because of the experience. So yeah, I'm so glad to hear that. And congratulations, you're having a girl, right girl? Yep? Yeah, how do you feel? Were you hoping for any gender?
Speaker 1: I mean I think secretly I wanted a girl, as I mean, I would have been so so happy, especially given the whole journey with girl or boy. But just when the moment that my husband Russ and I cut into that cake and we said, put strawberries in. If it's a girl, put blueberries in, if it's a boy, straw I saw a strawberry lost it. I was just like, that's the most magical feeling in the world. Also, because I had lost my mom when she was fifty one, I was seventeen years old. So there's this like element of just missing that mother daughter connection and knowing that it's on its way and it's already here and I can feel her moving. It is such a special it's such a special feeling, and I always feel like it's a gift or she's a gift from my mom.
Speaker 2: Ah, that is so beautiful. That is so beautiful, and I'm so happy for you. Just amazing. I have two boys, so boy mom through and through, and I have the prayer is for a girl. However, I am scared to try in and get the third boy. Everybody's like, what if you did get a third boy? And I'm just like, oh god, I don't know, but do have prayers for a girl. And my husband's like are you sure, Like are we really about to try for a third And I'm like it's already a circus over year, Like it is so crazy. Why not add more? Yeah? Why not not add more? Exactly? So, I mean, I feel like I've seen a couple things that you've posted about doing a pregnancy series. Do you feel like in particular pregnancy has changed your practice? First, and then also do you feel more confident teaching to pregnant people. Now that you have directly experienced it yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, yeah. I mean just from how pregnancy has changed my personal practice, it is it is like night and day. Like I didn't realize how easy practicing was before pregnancy, and like right, it's like I was like I could do all of these and I'm not super I'm not so super flexible as a yoga teacher, but like just having the strength and the ability to move my body in certain ways now that I have a big belly, I'm like, this is really eye opening to how other people practic as pregnant or not, but how other people are able to move their bodies are not. And like I've been in the teaching world for I want to say fourteen years now, and I've seen so many different types of people, watched people move, But until I felt in my own body, I really had no idea how different practice could feel depending on how your body moves. So it's been a really eye opening experience, one that I'm really really grateful for because I feel like, kind of similarly with getting injured as a yoga teacher, I feel like these changes in our own bodies make us more aware of what people might need to hear what types of cues will serve different people better, and just more options, more variations within practice.
Speaker 2: So it's been.
Speaker 1: Really cool and different, and I'm definitely noticing that like spike and resting heart rate, I get out of breath easily, So even just from the stamina perspective, it's really interesting. It's really different and being a prenatal yoga teacher. I only started teaching prenatal after I have become pregnant, so this is a recent endeavor for me. With my first pregnancy that ended in loss, I started my prenatal certification and then once I lost that pregnancy, I was like, I want nothing to do with this, so I put it to the side. I was like, I'm not interested. And then a year and a half later, that's finally when I am now pregnant with my baby girl, I was ready to revisit that. So I was able to kind of pick up where I left off and really dive into what it means to teach someone who's pregnant and then being able to teach. I have this incredible crew of pregnant women right now who are all through the trimesters, some who just found out they're pregnants, one who actually delivered last week, and it's so cool to be on that journey with them and to like not only lead them, but to know what their bodies might be feeling, what limitations there are. And at the same time, every pregnancy and person is so different in what they experience, So I always like to start the sessions with like just a little check in, like, how is it going this week, any new symptoms, any new milestones going on. So it's been a really connecting and eye opening experience from the student and teacher perspective.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. That is amazing. Both times that I was pregnant, I was like, I'm going to do a series while I'm pregnant. I had that intent and I declared it, and then when pregnancy I was like, no, no way, no, I am just looking at my matt. It makes me tired, you know, I know, I get it. I get it. Yeah, So just huge props to you to do it in the moment. That's so cool, and to go through the education and the continued learning while you're pregnant and then passing it on. So it's amazing. I'm so glad for you and I'm sure that these women that you're working with are appreciative. Do you and you don't have to share if this feels like something that's private to you, But do you do you have a birth plan? And how do you feel like you envision the birth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is something that I recently started thinking about. My pelvic floor physical therapist asked me this just yesterday. She was like, what's your birth planet? I was like, uh, like literally, the only things that I really know for certain is that I definitely want to deliver in a hospital.
Speaker 2: I just feel more safe. But I really want.
Speaker 1: To go in unmedicated and as natural as possible, and it's going to take a lot of mental training. I've already been like, I've been reading the hypno birthing books, listening to the audiobole books.
Speaker 2: You read it? Which hypno birthing? The one by sciab On or something. I forget her name, it's a blue cover and just hypno birthing, Yes, the one I think it's Syvon Miller. I'm probably butchering her name, but I know what about Yeah, did you do hypno birthing? I did? I did with my second and I did do homebirth in a water tub, completely unmedicated, which I do not recommend to all people. And I'm not saying that in the energy of like that's better than another birth. I feel like we're such weird energy about births and people feeling, you know, like better then because of the way they did it, And so I'm not saying that with anything other than just factual, like that's what I did and where I felt the most safe and empowered, and that's ultimately like what you should do.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like you're really connected to that. Yeah, that's amazing. I've always wanted to do a home birth, but I'm just too scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're scared one hundred percent, don't do it. You know it is it is a very scary experience because it's something that you were it's a weird because it's something that you were designed for. You know, it's your god given right and design. But it's also something that through media and movies, that has been pictured and portrayed being so many different ways. And it's also something that's so out of your control, like getting pregnant, where it's like your body knows how to do it, and in a lot of ways you're just trying to get out of the way of it. So yeah, it can be very scary because you're like, I don't know what it's going to be like, and you just want to be safe.
Speaker 1: The whole experience from like trying planning, getting pregnant, moving throughout pregnancy. And I'm sure you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure motherhood too, is just a lesson in like letting go and like letting it all unfold and trusting the process. And it's the yoga teachings off the mat really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And honestly, maybe it's a transition into your next zone of genius. Like being a mother feels like creative sequencing or intentional when saying in the moment of like pivoting in real time of this is the thing that needs to be done, and I've said it in this way, and I can see that that is not landing in your brain. That way's not working. So I need to Taylor, how I'm teaching you to keep this train moving to like be productive. And then just as far as like maintaining your own equanimity. It really is, Charlotte, the most challenging yoga pos I have held yet. Ah is parenting in the sense of just like keeping your composure, staying compassionate, like trying to see it through their eyes, and yeah, just staying calm and letting them have their feels when their feels are irrational and out of proportion. I mean, I'm a toddler mom, so two and a half, like in the thick of charitable twos, but when they're a squishy, little newborn blob like my eight month old, he is perfect. I love him so much. He just smiles at me and it's great. So I'm teasing, of course, like apparently is amazing, but yeah, it definitely, it definitely is so online as far as what I see and probably what most people see is everything that you share around sequencing and what you have titled foreshadowing. We actually side note. We both were a part of Adrian Jarrett's All Matt's Taken convention. I guess that's what maybe like online convention and yeah, yeah, so both kind of sharing within that and one of your topics was on this. So for my listeners maybe who are completely haven't really seen this or this would be an introduction for them, what is this and how do you feel like it elevates your teaching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So foreshadowing is a technique in sequencing where you introduce little, small, bite sized pieces of what's coming later earlier on in class as a way to prepare students to kind of like tease something that's coming. And a lot of times people will say that's the same thing as warming up the body, and to that, I'll say, foreshadowing is different than warming up the body, but foreshadowing does warm up the body. So we're definitely like getting our students physically ready for something that's coming later, but at the same time, we're like teasing what's coming later, like a little mini version of what's coming later. So where let's say the pose half moon, for example, warming up your students for half moon can involve opening up your hamstrings, opening up your hips, opening up your heart, but a foreshadow for half moon would be a mini half moon, so half moon on the knee.
Speaker 2: So that, like.
Speaker 1: A foreshadowing is a technique that I use in every single class that I sequence because I really think it helps keep students engaged and connected to their practice and also gives them this opportunity in this moment to have like an aha moment, right when we get towards the end of class, when they're in that bigger version of a pose and they're like, oh my gosh, I did this before, or I know where we're going, or I can anticipate what's happening next. It really gives this sense of confidence to our students. And I could talk about the benefits of foreshadowing all day long. I mean, there are benefits for students, there are benefits for teachers. One of the big reasons I love it is because it helps us save time queuing. Because when we're queuing a mini version of something, there are a lot of similarities. So when we set the foundation and we cue the mini version in the warm up of class slower maybe five breaths we spend in this one shape. Later on, when we're moving faster, whether that's two three breaths, propose, they already know the foundation, so we don't have to remind them. Roll your right shoulder back, you know, lock in with your left arm, stabilize yourself. We can cue those nuances. So it definitely saves time. It helps us. It helps I know me if I name something in the beginning, right, if I teach them a little mini transition and I say, we're going to call this airbender arms and then we revisit it later and I'll say, find your airbender ARMS. I just saved myself two minutes of queueing and introducing. So that's one of the biggest benefits of foreshadowing from a teacher perspective.
Speaker 2: And I also think it.
Speaker 1: Just creates this sense of trust between student and teacher, because when you use a skill like foreshadowing, students recognize that there was intention behind the entire class. So I'm sure we've all been to a class. I'm sure we've taught classes where we come in, we don't have a plan, and it's kind of just like throwing things to the students and seeing.
Speaker 2: Kind of what unfolds.
Speaker 1: Versus when you come in with a plan and you teach something intentionally in the beginning and you revisit it later, the students have this light bulb that goes off that says, Oh, my teacher cares. My teacher put the time and attention into this experience curated for me before class even started, and because of that, I trust my teacher more so. It's I just love this skill so much.
Speaker 2: Oh well said, And I completely agree I love it, love it, love it, and I know that so many people come to you and feel supported by you and your work. I do something similar, but from a slightly different vantage point. It's something that I call theme weaving, and it's this idea of using it's kind of like a dharma talk or like a dharma it's infusing insights and inspiration into the class, but doing it in a way where it's introduced early and then referred back to often, so same same concept of it does make your teaching feel so much more intentional and on purpose when it's presented at the beginning, whether it's like what you're saying or what you're teaching someone, it's like, we're doing this on purpose, you know, and it doesn't feel as much like an afterthought or like it's trying to be squeezed in later. So I think that's that's amazing and probably just an easy way that people can get started, you know, is contrary to popular belief or like if you're wanting to you know, weave in more intentional sequencing or thoughtful ideas is to not do it at the end, but to do it just like right at the very beginning, so that it does automatically shift it to feel a little more intentional and on purpose as opposed to as opposed.
Speaker 1: To an afterthought. Oh yeah, one thousand percent. It's so good for the students and for the teachers.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. So do you feel like when you're class planning and when you approach teaching that it starts with the sequencing and then everything else falls into place around that for you? Is that your process or It's funny, I have like five different processes, and it all depends on like what happens when I get to my mat Sometimes I'll have an idea of, you know, a pose that I want to do later on, and I'll start with like the physical foreshadowing. Other times I'll have an idea.
Speaker 1: Of the philosophical theme like you were just talking about, and I'll kind of create the physical based on that philosophy. So it really all depends. But I think if I could boil it down to a simple process, it would be starting with a spark of inspiration, whether that spark of inspiration is physical, is philosophical, whatever it may be. Maybe it's a playlist that's the spark of inspiration. But I usually just have something that I know I'm going to riff off of and then get to the yoga mat and just kind of see what unfolds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, beautiful. And I think that that's so spacious so that all different people of constitutions, proclivities, propensities like feel like they have a place that they can start that's authentic to them. For me, it is always the message, and like the philosophy side is usually the first thing that sparks me and I build from. But then I also once I have that mapped out, I try to think, like how does this message show up in the body to make it to combine the two and make it feel somatic and seamless together, which is a whole conversation that I feel like so many yoga teachers are interested in. But by the same token, there's not a lot of time rightly, so that can be given to this conversation within a two hundred hour container, let alone a three hundred hour container. So yeah, that is where I like geek out on is like, what's what's your message? And how do you say it in a way that's simple and also intentionally spaced and place like it's sporadically woven throughout the experience without feeling heavy handed, without it feeling like this lecture on the front end or the back end, or like too intelligent to where it's like two separate moments of yoga philosophy, like put on my glasses, grab my notes, and more like when you're in the posture, how can they feel so married together? So yeah, I know, I know you have a lot to say on that too. Mm hm oh yeah. My first question to you is do you do teach virtually at all? Yeah? Yeah, I don't want to take your class. Yeah yeah, I actually what I love as a student. Yeah. Yeah, So on the podcast today, I dropped a class to practice in and was kind of showcasing theme weaving as I understand it today in June of twenty twenty six, if you're listening, not in real time. But yeah, that's a it's a huge love language. I love to receive that, and then it's also something that I love to give as best as I can. So yeah, that's yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely gonna hop in and take your class because I feel like it's a lot a lot of yoga teachers, like you said this, this type of teaching isn't covered in trainings, and until we go out and we seek the training and we start to embody what we learn, it's few and far between that teachers are able to really marry the two mm.
Speaker 2: And it's what a lot of teachers I've found in conversations with teachers, it's why they went went into yoga teacher training to start, because they maybe saw their teacher doing this. And a lot of teachers have a lot on their heart that they want to say, but then they get all caught up in their head and they trip up on their tongue when it's like time to say it, and there's ought to be honest, there's there's this process of distilling it down, and you even use the word like boiling, boiling it down to what are the sutra like sentences that pack a lot of punch and say these big ideas but in simple ways that children can understand that feel just like every day speak. Because sometimes when I'm all up in my yoga teaching study, I'm like, well, are these people are not on that page? You know? And to sometimes like meet people where they are is the next challenge too, of how do I teach it in a way that will actually be universal, that will actually be relevant, that will actually be applicable to a nurse, right, you know, like a human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in a modern human being, like there a lot of I mean, these teachings are so rooted in thousands and thousands and thousands of years ago that sometimes we can open the sutures, we can read something, we're like, okay, but how does how does that play out now? So to be able to just like have that lens and really study from this place of what does this mean? How can I how can I teach this to my students in a way that will land? It takes a lot of effort, and I think that makes a really good teacher, right, somebody who's able and willing to put in that effort and that time into the craft.
Speaker 2: So I love this. Yeah. Yeah, Well we mentioned the word intentional in terms of intentional sequencing, but do you feel like there's a difference between intentional sequencing and maybe more of the buzzword that's especially on social media, it's like a hashtag of creative sequencing. That they are different and that they have, you know, different thought processes behind them, and if so, what are those? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that creative sequencing is is I almost want to say, like overused these days. Like I remember, it was around twenty twenty around COVID where I started saying that I teach creative creatively like I teach creative sequences, I teach creative sequences. And at the time, it felt like, Okay, this this feels right for me because the moves that I add into my sequencing are creative, they're hybrid poses, they're you know, moves that I pull for strength training, they're different. And then as social media can continue to evolve, it's almost like everybody started to say, I teach creatively creative sequencing, and this is this buzzphrase now that's popping up everywhere. And what I started to see from a teacher trainer perspective is a lot of the teachers who are I want to say, like advertising creative sequencing are really advertising movements that are aesthetically pleasing but maybe not so safe, maybe not so intentional, maybe just for Instagram or just for social media, just for likes, just for content. And when I started to see that shift happen, I got I got like the ick with it. I'm like creative sequencing, I don't really vibe with that anymore, because I vibe.
Speaker 2: With intention behind what we're doing.
Speaker 1: And it is so easy as yoga teachers to get excited about a certain move or transition or pose, and I'm like this too. I get so excited and then I want to throw everything into one class. But when we do that, it becomes less intentional and more kind of like a dumping ground for creativity, if that makes sense. So I think that like intentional sequencing can be creative, creative sequencing can be intentional. But there is this almost like red flag that pops up with me now in the conversation of creative sequencing, just because as teachers, it's our main job to look out for our students, and if we're teaching something that's just esthetically pleasing and maybe not be so stabilizing or so attainable for the general population, then we're really not serving our students in that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundred pc. It's like creativity just for creativity's sake, versus the creativity and the intentionality as almost like the preparation and the progression towards something else. I think as like the biggest difference, And I think I maybe touched on it just a little bit ago too. It's like teaching for the student or just like teaching for keeping you curious and interested, which is like, yes, we as teachers, we do hit. If you've been teaching in a while, you will hit some sort of rut and you will start to feel like you're like, oh, I'm craving to level up, but it's not forgetting at the same time that in your not necessarily ascension or like you know, evolution, but in your growing, like not everybody is also where you're at too, So it's holding those and trying to balance that of like meeting, keeping the fundamentals, keeping the basics, while also you growing and trying to share that with your people because you know it's good to do that, but not in a way that just like bypasses all the other stuff. Totally. Yeah, I know. It's a dance.
Speaker 1: It's a dance to really feel you know, your own growth, your own practice, sharing your practice, and also serving the students. And sometimes we're going to get it wrong. Sometimes we won't realize and we think that we're being really intentional teaching, and then we show up to teach and we have this class plan and it's like not landing for any student in front of us. So then we have to instead of stay really rigid and married to the original plan, pivot and continue to serve our students and continue to think in ways that support them because that's what they're there for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many, so many times in these conversations with teachers, I feel like inspired, But then also you know the weight of the responsibility of all how much it is like this delicate dance And anyway, I think that you paid me such a sweet compliment of practicing online and taking online and I really just admire and I'm so happy for your success with what you've built with the hub and how you can provide for yoga teachers your class planning subscription. So same, I'm like, I'm going to jump in there and take some stuff and just see all the work that you're providing, and I know some listeners should as well. How has that I was listening just this morning on the Funny Thing about Yoga podcast conversation that you had and you were talking about building it and launching it in the season of life that you were in when you did that. So can you share a little bit here about what that is and how it feeds and fuels you with what we were just talking about of like maintaining and sustaining your connection and interest with the practice, but also in service of yoga teachers out there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely So the Sequencing Hub you've never heard of. It is a membership for yoga teachers that provides three things. It provides done for you class plans, so ready to teach, complete sequences, everything you need, dharmatalk, inspiration that can just pop right into your notes app. The second thing it provides is inspiration. So I have the Sequencing Lab within the Hub, which is kind of like this page of three hundred elements to kind of like riff off of like little examples of foreshadowing what you could do in the warm up, how you could revisit it later in the heat building warm up sections, right, just like little bite sized pieces as that spark of inspiration that we were kind of talking about before when it comes time to planning for class. And then it also provides continuing education and community, so we do workshops, we do sequencing chats, we talk about certain topics in the world of teaching, and we just support each other as this beautiful community. So it is like it is my pride and enjoy this project. It launched in October of twenty twenty four, and it has evolved so beautifully ever since, and I really feel like I found what I'm meant to do, and it's supporting yoga teachers and keeping teaching feeling sustainable. Because I've been the teacher who teaches very very part time one class a week while working a corporate job, and then I've been the teacher who opened a yoga studio and teaches seventeen classes a week. There's one thing in common, and that's precious time. If we're going to teach intentional classes, there has to be time put behind them. And so if I have the luxury of the time right now in this season of my life, where I can get on my mat every week and spend two and a half three hours creating a sequence that I know ticks all the boxes for the general population, that I know has intention behind it every step of the way, and I can and deliver that to yoga teachers every single week, then I know that I have just saved yoga teachers at least two to three hours a week in terms of best planning. Now they have something that is either ready for them to teach or they can mix and match and make it their own. But that intention is there, It's rooted and it is supportive for them. So yeah, it just I have so much purpose in sequencing. And I feel like as yoga teachers, we all have our one thing, maybe many, and it sounds like yours is like the philosophy, the theming, the weaving, and for me, mine is the physical sequencing. It's coming up with what blends well together with intention, which is the word of the day. For some teachers it's creating playlists. Right, we all have our thing. But I'm really finding so much value and purpose in helping yoga teachers contain you to teach with sustainability and to avoid that burnout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. And it looks like you love it, and it looks like the people who were in it love it, which is just so good to see in such a lighthouse for other yoga teachers who are just now starting to think, like, wait a minute, there's more that I could do outside of the yoga studio, Like what do you mean? I could create my own offering, or I could create something of my own and build my own reputation and legacy or make more money doing something else, Like what does that look like? So I'm so happy for people to see other examples of this, to even just stretch your consciousness of what's possible, and to see people doing it number one, but also thriving in it. So I'm so glad that's for you, and same like same of just I want to share these ideas, and that was the heart behind my class planning subscription that I call Inspired Flow. It used to be monthly, but I actually just changed it to weekly, which is delivering the same sort of thing like thematic scripts. That's like here's a topic or here's an angle through which we're always teaching yoga, but it's like the lens that we're teaching yoga through, or in marketing lingo, it's like, what's the micro angle of how we're expressing it, Like, of course we're always pointing back to yoga and yoga thought and philosophy and things, but how can I explain it or express it in a way that's slightly different for people to see it through many different vantage points. That's what I share too. It's like thematic scripts and building your class from these ideas and then using that to inform the sequencing, using that to inform the playlisting, so that it feels really cohesive and connected and intentional, and like all of these ideas are coming at you from different modalities of like what you're hearing, what the teacher is saying. So yeah, I've been doing that. And it's also so like, I'm sure how you feel when the members inside are just like, this is so supportive for me, and this is so helpful for me. And I know so many teachers teach a lot of classes like you were talking about, so to just get that support and that help and it's like we haven't anyway, I'm sure that's how you feel. And creating it, it's like it's built and I want it to spread wide. Why not share? It has kind of been how it's felt for me. So there's an angle that I want to go with that. But before, I think a lot of yoga teachers have an idea of something that they want to do. But in the example of like starting your hub, and the yoga teacher that's like, I want to do this thing. We also in the beginning, before we built the thing, we don't realize what all it takes behind the scenes to produce that, So can you give us a little insight of what that looks like on a week to week basis to consistently deliver the things that you're promising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot of work. So each week, if I have one sequence that drops, it's three hours spent on my yoga mat creating the sequence. Then it's testing the sequence with at least two of my in person classes, so that's two hours of teaching it and making sure that it works with the general population. Then it's filming the sequence and editing it, which is me voicing over the sequence, So that's.
Speaker 2: Probably another hour and a half.
Speaker 1: And then it is polishing up the written plan probably takes another forty five minutes. Uploading everything to my platform probably takes another hour. So for one class plan, I would probably round up. I didn't do the math in real time, but I would probably round anywhere from eight to ten hours of work and dedication per per sequence. Yeah, so it's a lot. And then to you know, share little snippets of those on Instagram reels, it takes a lot to edit those. I just I started hiring out. I have an incredible editing assistant now who I give my videos too, and I'm like, please chop these up for me so that they're ready to go on reels. I found that it was just taking up way too much of my time to constantly be editing, So yeah, I started to hire out a little bit. And then in terms of like keeping up with the community. I have fifteen hundred members. I want to know them, I want to converse with them. I have emails to answer about the platform, and people have questions and people have requests. So it really turns out to a full time job. It's a lot. It's the rewarding full time job I could ever ask for, but it still is work. Yes, And I think that's so important for yoga teachers to hear. Not to discourage you from doing it, but I think to set a realistic expectation, because what you were describing is like when you've been that's your like fast version, because you've you've set your process, you've done it, you're like habitually doing it, so it's like when you're in the flow of it, not to mention the learning curve of the first couple of times that you're doing it, of maybe learning how to use the editing software or figuring out like what is the formatting that you're putting it in, Like if you're building it on Tanbo, what's the template you know? And all that first time stuff can be I think the most overwhelming part for people.
Speaker 2: That's then a big deterrent because it feels like a big hindrance, an obstacle and inconvenience all the stuff. And we think of like the finished product when you have the vision or the aspiration to do something, not necessarily the production that it takes to make it. And when I am working with other yoga teachers of building offers outside, I always just encourage them to like really think about what's the production, what's the process of it? And do you enjoy that? Because that will be more of what you were doing as opposed to the like finished product situation. So do you have any words of wisdom to offer, like for maybe yoga teachers who are thinking about building out something similar of a class punning subscription or a virtual yoga studio or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think you said it so beautifully is really think about what goes on behind the scenes, Like there is going to be a learning curve, especially like sometimes as yoga teachers, we see other yoga teachers who seem like they're thriving online in their business, whatever that business may be, but we don't see all of the little nuances that go on behind the scenes. And if you are only wanting to go down this road because you love teaching yoga, you just kind of have to give yourself that reality check that that's not all this will be. Like if you are trying to open a virtual yoga studio, you're going to do way more than just teach yoga. Virtually, You're going to become an editor. You're going to become your technology person, your IT person, your marketer, human resources person, like you are going to wear so many hats, and ultimately, I believe it is so worth it. There's nothing like being your own boss, being your own you know, employee, Like there's nothing like having your own thing.
Speaker 2: But just know that it's not going to be easy, yeah, and that it takes staying connected to the passion and your why of it making it worth it. And I think that it's hard a lot of yoga teachers, or at least this was my experience, and maybe you can speak to it like still struggle a little bit with the like receiving payment part, the money aspect. They really struggle with the marketing side, the promoting side of inviting people into their world and into their work for a myriad of reasons, but a lot of them being like lack of self worth or just embedding or confusing, tangling maybe their worth with their work and then starting to feel like icky because of that, or like making a no means something about them instead of it just being like a clean note it's not a good fit like for that person. So yeah, it definitely is. It's a lot of learning. It's a lot of learning when you're kind of endeavoring and doing your own thing. Do you feel or I guess I'm curious to know fifteen hundred that is amazing. That is amazing and I'm so happy for you. Seriously, and with the like drawing attention to your membership, is your main way of reaching other people through the things that you share on social media? Is that how most people find you? Yeah? Yeah, I've spent zero dollars in advertising, so it's been Yeah, that is amazing and kind of a unicorn situation for people, as like we all need to look at it and be like, that's awesome. I'm so glad, but that is not the current the usual route for people. So saying it for people to keep it real too, of like wondering why maybe it's not working for you, of like that's an incredible but a unicorn too. Well.
Speaker 1: I also should mention that social media I would consider more the funnel. So people are finding me, discovering me through social media, then I'm getting them to my email list, and usually the sales happen the conversions happen through email, which you know, is that's another thing that people have to learn too. Emails is very important. But yeah, it's it's definitely. I feel very very lucky and grateful for what social media has given to me. And it's you know, I didn't even have the idea for the sequencing hub until I started to look at my metrics on Instagram and I was noticing how many saves I was getting for these reels that were that I was saying, save save this real to teach, or save this sequence to teach. I was getting thousands of saves, and I was like, Okay, this data just tells me that teachers are saving this because they're teaching it. How can I make this easier for them? How can I now deliver the written out sequence? How can I make it sustainable for me too? So I'm I'm eternally grateful for social media for the reach and the insight.
Speaker 2: To you know, what it gives me. Yeah, yeah, that's absolutely. And I think that you do such a great job of using the work that you're doing inside your paid programs or your paid spaces and then taking like little clips of that or little appetizers from or make from that main meal, making a little appetizer, and that that's the social media thing that you're sharing, so that it feels a little more like integrated and seamless for you. Yeah, and that it's less work because I think, especially when I'm working with other yoga teachers, it's like they think of theirs social media as one thing, one type of content, and then their paid work a different type of thing. And it's like, how do we pull from the paid work to the free or like the places where people are discovering us and finding us so that it feels easier and it also creates this more like seamless pathway for that person who's watching it.
Speaker 1: You know, it like a align and it's not this weird hiccup thing. Yeah, yeah, I mean going back to the skill of foreshadowing and yoga. That's essentially what that's the kind of the business plan. It's like you're giving a little bite sized piece on social and then if they want the whole thing, they want that heat building section, they go to the paid program.
Speaker 2: So it builds trust.
Speaker 1: You know, giving a little bit away for free, I think is so worth it for yoga teachers who are trying to launch their own thing, because that's how we build trust with our students, with our clients, customers, whoever it may be that you're serving. But giving those giving that value away and yeah, just building those relationships I think is so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and then to maybe hopefully this helps somebody, you know, offers a little more. It's like when they're thinking about, oh what do I post on socials? Like I know, I need to be making a presence on socials that ultimately drives traffic to this other thing. Well, it's it's pulling like from what you're doing already with your people. Yeah, and like, yeah, just not not thinking that they're so separate is so helpful for me at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because you don't have like a whole, separate, part time job in your mind. That is Instagram where you have to come up with or social media that where you have to come up with all new ideas. It's like, no, just do what you're already doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just do do what you're already doing. We're smarter, not harder. Yes, yes, And I love that you brought it back to the foreshadowing because that really is what it is. You are just so inspiring and so inspiring, and it's so good to finally chat with you about all of this. When is your due date? Mid September? Mid September? My second son was born September eighteenth. Oh yeah, I'm due the fifteenth, so we'll see. I could have an eighteenth What if? That will be so incredible if that happens, Because actually, do you mind me asking we can trim this out if you are like, don't actually post that. But how old are you? I'm thirty three, you're thirty three? Okay? So I just turned thirty four in December and then I turned yeah yeah, so around the same age. I was like, I feel like there's a lot of similarities there, and I will just absolutely keel over and die if you have your baby on the eighteenth, that would be amazing. Yes, yes, it really will. My husband was actually his birthday is September seventeenth, so on his birthday we were like, is he about to steal your thunder? Are you guys going to share a birthday friends? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Funnily enough, I did learn that a lot the most popular d date is that week of like September tenth through the twentieth. I think because it's like Christmas and New Year's baby. Everybody's getting down around Christmas. Yep, that's so interesting. It's so crazy how many people I know are expecting in September. It's like, it really is. It's I don't doubt that statistic for a minute. Yeah, yeah, it's so true. So enjoy just the rest of the second trimester. It really is like the honeymoon phase of pregnancy. And I'm so excited to just keep up with you in your third trimester and just thank you so much for everything that you shared with my community here. If they are loving everything that you're saying and they want to know more about how to connect with you and take a peek at the hub. Can you let them know how they can do that? Absolutely? So they can find me on Instagram at Breathe Underscore Strength and then my website is Breathe Strength Wellness and that has all the info with my studio, my online studio and the sequencing hub. Cool. Cool, Well, thank you so much, Charlotte. Thank you. This was so fun. Yes, yes it was, And thank you, dear listener for coming back each and every Wednesday. If you love this episode, please take a second just to send it to another yoga teacher friend, just to let them know that you were thinking about them. And until next week, I miss day. Yes, thanks for listening. If this is your first time caruse our feed to see if there's something else that will serve you. We're so grateful that you're here and invite you to join our inner circle by subscribing to our newsletter. If this episode resonated with you, help us spread the word by sending it to a friend who needs to hear this message. Likes, follows, sends, shares, and reviews. Help us to continue delivering high quality content to you for free each and every week. Don't forget to tag at master your yoga teaching so we can reshare. I am a certified yogi. However, this podcast is intended for information and entertainment only. If you are interested in mentorship or coaching with me, check out the website linked in the show notes to get more information. This content and other content produced by CLW Studios and affiliated partners, is not therapy, and nothing in this content indicates a therapeutic relationship. Any opinions of guests on the podcast are their own and do not represent the opinions of Mackenzie or CLW Studios. Learn more about Mackenzie, her guests, and CLW Studios by following the links in the show notes. Keep shining and we will see you next Wednesday for another dose of master your Yoga Teaching not mistake Less