Speaker 1: This episode may contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, I'm Tanya and I'm Teleah and we are Crimes and Consequences, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Hi Shannon, Hey Tanya, how are you doing pretty good? How about you?
Speaker 2: I am doing great, still acclimating to the new job. And I won't mention it again, but.
Speaker 3: You watch it every time. This is a transition.
Speaker 2: It's a huge transition. Like I'm still getting used to getting up early. You know, I'm not an I'm not an early bird. I've never been an early bird.
Speaker 3: I still go morning person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a morning person. No, so I'm trying to be a morning person and trying to stamp out the night owl in me. Yeah, you get some sleep, but.
Speaker 3: Those are big changes, for sure.
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I am.
Speaker 4: Totally loving so today. This is my favorite time of year. Like you can shut your air off and let the wind and then you might have to turn on the keat later.
Speaker 3: Yeah tomorrow, turn the air on.
Speaker 4: Perfect, shut everything to open the windows again. But you know we're going to be locked up for your you know, pretty shortly with the same breathing air in the house. We need to get these windows some freshness. And I do love it, and I burn. It's like I burn my epaculi and the sage and it's so smoky in the house.
Speaker 3: But it's so fure. So that's all I've been up to.
Speaker 2: I do love the fall, it's great. I love the Chris's weather. And like you said, I will get in my car in the morning and turn the heat on and on my way home, I've got the air conditioner.
Speaker 3: Eye exactly, sit out on the porch. I got to put my baja on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's but it's nice because it's just the kiss of coolness and then that means Halloween and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, exactly the way you like what you.
Speaker 3: Got for us today.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a crazy story. It's an oldie, but a goodie. It takes place in the nineteen thirties. These cases always kind of fascinate me because I'm a history nerd, But you fascinate me because of the shit people did. Because like nowadays, you can't get away with shit, like there's cameras out there, your phone gets tracked, like, you know, you can never cover your tracks one hundred percent, but back then people could. But before I get into it, I remind everyone to hit subscribe or follow on whatever app you're listening to, and I am going to tell you about the murder of Michael Maloe. Okay, So if you remember in history, the Prohibition, the Prohibition Act was ratified into law in nineteen twenty. Okay, it was the eighteenth amendment to our Constitution, and it made it illegal to manufacture alcohol, sell it, import it. You couldn't know nothing to do with alcohol, okay. As the country is drying up basically because you're not allowed to go anywhere and drink it. You're not allowed to buy it. Oh my gosh, places like speakeasies. Have you heard of speakeasies? Oh yeah, yeah, So speakeasy start to pop up. And what a speakeasy is it. It came from illegal drinking establishments that were in England and in the nineteenth century they were called speak softly shops, So that's where it kind of evolved, like speakeasies evolved from that. So it was estimated though that there were more than thirty thousand speakeasies in New York City alone.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, in.
Speaker 2: Okay, So everybody's drinking.
Speaker 3: Skin, yes, everybody's out at night.
Speaker 2: Right, So speakeasy didn't have to really be anything fancy either, you know, like you would see in the movies or something. They sometimes it would just be a room and some liquor. So the range of establishments that they had it was vast, Like it would be you know, luxurious, speak easy. Sometimes sometimes it would just be a seller and so the house, you know that I set up some tables.
Speaker 4: I'd always picture every speak easy, jazz, the being fun, right, someone out of the bugle or the coronet. Yeah, everyone's going to be bopping exactly like then, yeah.
Speaker 2: You expect this like picture like this glamorous, yes right, yeah, everybody's dressed and beautiful gowns and furs.
Speaker 3: Girls where they had the little swinger dresses.
Speaker 2: Yeah right yeah, But it wasn't always like that, no. So nineteen twenty nine in American history also we had the Great Depression.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The stock market crashed in nineteen twenty nine, and that's where the Great Depression started from. You know, we got this big crash. People lost their money, some of them their fortunes and everything. So this is nobody can drink right and nobody can drink legally. Yeah, it sounded like air buddies getting drunk, right, yea our buddy, right, air buddies. So there was a place called Marinos, and it was just a little place. It had four tables chairs, It had a well used sofa on one end, a makeshift twelve foot bar in the middle. There was a toilet on the other end that was blocked from view, so you know, patrons could go to the bathroom, sure, but it was like a little flimsy partition pretty much. The regulars that came to Marinos were criminals and derel QX, and those were the people. I think that the whole prohibition thing was meant to dry out. I don't think they meant to dry out, you know, mister America next door. I think it was now focus on people that were more of the unsavory characters. So Tony Marino himself, the owner, He was a disaster of a person. He was twenty seven at the time our story takes place, and he was riddled with venereal disease. Oh bother he had syphilis and gonorrhea, oh my gosh, and he really didn't rush to the doctor at the time to treat any of his ailments. So they did reach an advanced stage on him with physical marks which were like absesses that developed in his growing area. And he spoke about that every now and then and openly. Yeah, just openly and yeah in this this charmer, he passed these STDs onto his wife because he was mom at the time. So his wife, Eleanor, she wasn't aware that she had any of these diseases until she was pregnant and visited the doctor. A doctor told her. So, as you can imagine, it wasn't the best marriage between Eleanor and Tony. She said. The way that she described Tony was that she said he had a nasty temper, He was prone to violent tantrums, and he would often smash furniture in their house. So yeah, he once put the stove into the hallway and took an axe to it. And his wife also said, quote on several occasions he threatened to turn the gas on in our bedroom and kill the baby and myself.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, So this is Tony a real charm yeah, charmer.
Speaker 2: His behavior was attributed to a childhood fall that he had where he got a concussion and his family said, you know, ever since then, he kind of wasn't the same he had. He ended up attempting suicide twice before he was sixteen, and during his marriage to Eleanor, she left him a few times here and there. But at the time of our story, she and Tony and their son, their baby son were living with Tony's father and his sister, and both women, Eleanor and Tony's sister, he would he would beat them every day.
Speaker 4: So he was ane and his own sister and his own sister okay, and dad.
Speaker 3: Would just let this. Dad said nothing.
Speaker 2: Apparently, I don't know if Dad's joining in.
Speaker 3: Or whatever, but right, okay.
Speaker 2: So an Marino's bar, Tony employed a man who went by the name of Joseph, and he actually went by Red Joseph Murphy. He was the bartender. So Red first met Tony as a patron of the place. He was one of the regulars that would come to Marinos. Tony eventually hired him to pour the drinks for a dollar a day. That's how much he earned. And the side benefit though was sampling the inventory. Plus he had like a semi warm place maybe to crash when he needed Yeah, right, you know, he could sleep on that sofa I mentioned, and so it wasn't bad. It's kind of a cushy set up for like a home alcoholic.
Speaker 3: Really in the middle of the great job, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like he probably didn't have a penny to his name, but he's able to earn a little bit of money and crash there as well. So Joseph Murphy, I'll tell you a little bit about him. He was born Archie Mott on May twenty fourth, nineteen oh six. He was taken off the streets at the age of ten and placed in the care of several different foster families and a boys' school. He was taken to Mansfield State Training School and Hospital at around thirteen years old, where he would remain a mental patient until his early twenties. While he was in the hospital, he was found by psychiatrists to have the mental age of nine years and six months and an IQ of fifty six, and on July thirty first, nineteen twenty nine, he snuck away from the hospital. He was able to make just enough from odd jobs on the street to keep his alcohol addiction going, and in nineteen thirty two is when he wandered into Marino's bar and Tony, you know, took pity on him and gave him this job. There's a lot of people in this story, so we have read and we have Tony so far. Yes, Well, the next guy I'm going to tell you about. His name is Frank Pascua. Okay. He was another regular of Marinos speakeasy. He was twenty four with a wife and son at home, and Frank began working for his father at the age of seventeen at Pasqua's burial service, which was located in Harlem. He found it really difficult to engage in any kind of meaningful conversation in that career, as you can imagine, and so he would often stop by Marino's place at the end of the day to grab a drink and socialize.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He talked to Tony about you know, being a dad and husbands, and he was able to speak to him in Italian because Frank too write their native language. So Tony and Frank they were often seen talking to another guy. His name is David Prezberg. So now we have Tony read the bartender, Frank and Dan yees Daniel and Daniel Kresburg was a twenty nine year old wholes silk grocher and father of three. Just to let you know, there was never any accusations from either Frank or Daniel's spouses that they ever got abused by their husbands. So you know, by all accounts, they seem to have loving and good marriages. So I'm just throwing that out there to kind of okay, good to pop up the story, right. Yes, so Daniel's a family man at heart, and desperation kind of drove him to a life of crime. He regularly partnered with a woman named Marie who was Tony's cousin, as part of a gang called the Pants Bandit Duo and Marie. What she would do was hold victims at gunpoint and take their wallets, jewelry, and money, and then she would force them to remove their pants, their trousers. That's why we call the pants She would take their pants so that the guys wouldn't chase after her and Daniel and Daniel was the look out and they would you know, run away with the with the loot and the pant pants pants. Okay, So now I'm going to tell you about another guy Okay. His name is Michael Malloy and he's our victim. So it's believed that he originally came to New York from Ireland. He was born in the County do Google. He immigrated to New York in the late eighteen hundreds or early nineteen hundreds. He was a loner, had limited friends, and he didn't have any family to speak of, at least none that anyone knew about. He worked several jobs involving like different types of street cleaning, and there was a period where he worked as a stationary fireman before he found himself sweeping the streets again. He sometimes worked for Frank at his dad's burial service, the Pasquad Burial Service. He would sweep floors and polish the coffins, and Frank would sometimes allow him to sleep at the mortuary as well. When Michael worked at the funeral parlor, he and Frank would walk down to Marinos after work, and eventually the walk to Marinos became a regular occurrence for Michael, regardless of whether Frank was with him or not, and he appreciated the company that the bar provided and the free lunch tray because Tony would put out a free lunch tray which offered the decent makings to do like a sardine sandwich, which he really like.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So during the early days of Michael's patronage at Tony's speakeasy, he was a good paying customer. As he came back more often, he would ask Tony if he could work in exchange for drinks, and as his bar tab began to grow, Tony cut it off in November of nineteen thirty one. Michael would return to beg for drinks from now some of Tony's other customers, and when Tony's back was turned, he would approach Red the bartender behind the bar and steal twigs from the whiskey bottles.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: He was a bit of a nuisance and Tony's bar was not performing very well, so things are starting to build up. In July nineteen thirty two, in the quote unquote back office of the speakeasy, which was really more like a walking closet that was really partitioned off with like a curtain, so there was a lot of privacy. Tony, Frank and Daniel were sitting around a table and they began talking. Tony was watching a few barflies taking the free food from the free lunch tray, and he could see Michael and Red drinking whiskey from the bottle behind the bar. It was becoming difficult, like I told you, for him to cover the expenses of his business. So Frank looked up and he saw the same scene that Tony was taking it like, you know, just these people taking the free food and read and Michael having at it. Frank is an undertaker and he regularly worked with insurance companies, so he knew if thing or two about life insurance and that death was a regular part of his day. So in that moment, he suggests, why don't you take a life insurance policy out on Michael, And then he said I'll take care of the rest. He says this to Tony.
Speaker 3: Okay, right.
Speaker 2: So Michael looked like he was about sixty at the time, and he must have lived like a really hard life, like those were sixty hard years. Yes, and he was a drunk, he was an alcoholic, so being that, you know, he probably looked older than what.
Speaker 3: He really Oh my gosh, how run down that right? Make yes?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Nobody's quite sure. So, you know, they all start talking about this that they're going to maybe you know, look into this, like getting an insurance policy, and Michael and Daniel was all for it too because he could use the extra cash, right like.
Speaker 3: Oh for business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh right, And so they all agreed and the group that the tabloids would eventually call the Murder Trust was born with this discussion. The first step now would be to obtain a life insurance policy for Michael, who was a homeless, unemployed alcoholic, so good, look at that, right, right, And none of the men were related to him, so it's going to be difficult. But Frank went to work on this. The process of obtaining life insurance for Michael would take nearly five months. Oh some rejections. They stretched the truth quite a bit.
Speaker 3: They would have to like that, yeah.
Speaker 2: And they just blatantly lied on a lack of applications. So, with his eyes on being a few hundred dollars richer, Frank approached Michael on July twenty ninth, nineteen thirty two, and offered to take him to get life insurance. So Michael's agreeable. I don't know why. He went along with Frank to meet with an agent from Prudential Life. The agent was relatively new to the business, He ended up offering a policy that would cost eight dollars and eight cents a month. He described the policy as having a double indemnity clause, which is that if the insured passes away, like in an accident, the policy would.
Speaker 3: Pay double Oh wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: There's a famous old movie called Double Indemnity that I just remember. It had Barbara Stanwick in it. She was the She was the them fatale. So anyway, they're like, okay, cool. They filled out the paperwork. They said that Michael lived at the address of Marino's Speakeasy and that he was employed as a porter at Frank's funeral parlor. Michael claimed no friend or family outside of Frank, and he named him as beneficiary, saying he gave me a job and he feeds me. So they pay the eight dollars and eight cents. They signed the papers and the policy was sent in. However, during the authentication process, the insurance company questioned the fact that the person who took out the policy happened to also be the named beneficiary, and he was someone that wasn't blood related to the insured. So, with numerous other discrepancies discovered during this process, the review process, the policy was rejected at the end of August, and the eight dollars and eight cents was returned to Frank. So the same process was repeated in September with Prudential, and the same outcome happened. Now they're realizing, okay, we need to find a relative of oh yeah, right, So Joseph Murphy read he was called on to pose as Michael's brother, and so now they're like, they're three. Their trio now goes to four. So they're gonna have to split this insurance money if it ever yeah control, but you know, they're like, okay, fine, it's better than not having I guess the life insurance policy at all. So in early November, Frank reached out to a Metropolitan agent regarding a quote unquote friend who wanted some insurance. The friend had given Frank the money to purchase the policy, and when asked if the agent could meet the man, Frank said no. So, I mean that's already shady, right right, you know, he said, he works late, it's going to be too difficult. So the agent really didn't want to push it. I'm sure he just wanted to make the sale, and he drops off a blank application. The following week to Frank as a note, this was in violation of Metropolitan's policies, which required the agent to be there in person at the time of signing. So this is just.
Speaker 4: All she I was just going to say. The agent knew exactly what he was doing. He was dropping off a blank check that he was going to endorse for them.
Speaker 3: Just fill it out. I'll be back right.
Speaker 2: So Frank provided the agent with the necessary information to fill in the application and he signs it a phony signature. The name on the application was Nicholas Mellory, so it's not Michael molloy, it's Nicholas Mellory on Frank's This is supposedly Frank's friend, Nicholas Mellory. Joseph Murphy became Joseph Mellory, Nicholas's brother. That's the beneficiary. And the application was turned in on November sixteenth, nineteen thirty two, for a forty four year old Nicholas Mellory. Because they're now fudging.
Speaker 4: They took sixteen years off Michael.
Speaker 2: You know, they're trying to make the application much more.
Speaker 3: Palatable for sure.
Speaker 2: So with the name change and no other applications lying in wait, the eight hundred dollars policy with a five dollars and two cent monthly premium was accepted on December first, nineteen thirty two.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So meanwhile at the bar, with all the whispered conversations and meetings behind the beaded curtain in the back room, some of the regular patrons had caught onto the fact that something shady was going on between Tony Frank and Daniel. One of the people paying attention was a Nan name Anthony Beststony, and he went by tough Tony. Okay, so we have Tony Marino, but I'm going to call Anthony Bestoni tough Tony. Tough Tony was a forty three year old sometimes bartender, husband and father of five. Although he said to be unemployed, he made money in the unsavory underworld by printing counterfeit money. Okay, a lot of money there, sure, yeah. And he had a partner that he printed this money with. His name was Joe Maglioni, with whom he had a combative relationship. The two men would frequently go to marinos to speak easy. They were overheard discussing their funny money operation during arguments that they had regarding splitting the prophets. Sure, so, MAGLIONI. He had four children of his own that he had to provide for. So the perpetual desperation that people had during the Great Depression, you know, made pretty much everyone, I think open to CD behavior.
Speaker 3: That survival behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So tough Tony caught wind of the insurance scheme somehow and he wanted in. So. Knowing tough Tony was prone to violence and was willing to do just about anything to make a buck, Tony Marino relented and the Murder Trust now has five members.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, right, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So breaking down the math of the new split of the money, even with a double indemnity, it's sixteen hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars, Okay.
Speaker 2: The profit that each of them are getting now is shrinking because there's five people that they have to split it up, and they're taking about three hundred and twenty dollars, which in today's money is about seventy three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Wow.
Speaker 2: So it is a lot of money, but it's not like, you know, one hundred thousand dollars or something. Right, They decided that they needed more policies taken out on Michael. So they're back to the drawing. They reach out to Prudential and they meet with a different agent, and they met with him on December tenth with a fake Nicholas Mellory in tow and ever was playing the role of Nicholas Mellory. It wasn't Michael.
Speaker 3: It was someone who looked forty four.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, right, it was. It's unknown who actually did it. The Prudential agent began an application for weekly insurance two policies using mostly the same information from the MET the Metropolitan policies, and save for some mistakes, Frank gave a birthday that didn't match the MET policy. They're being sloppy, right, They shaved off another four years of Nicholas Mellory, so now he's only forty Okay. The other inconsistencies was the signature. Originally Frank had signed it, but he did not sign the new one for Prudential, So it's clearly two different signatures on these policies for Nicholas Mellory. Regardless, they were approved the following week, and both policies that they took out were for four hundred and ninety four dollars and they both had this double indemnity clause. So in total, now there's three thousand, five hundred and seventy six dollars up for grabs, Like that's the insurance amount on Michael, which in today's money is eighty one, eight hundred and forty dollars between five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the plan the men came up with, they believed, was so simple it was laughable. They didn't need to choot him like drag on. There was no intent on putting any kind of effort in killing Michael. What they wanted to do was that Tony was just gonna lift the closure. Remember I told you he cut off Michael from alcohol. He decided he was just gonna let it flow and that they all figured that Michael's alcoholism would do okay. So they all understood, you know, the plan might not go the way they anticipated. Frank and Tony brought brought in a couple other speakeasy regulars they knew that would be willing to bump someone off for cheap as a backup plan. Their names were Edward Smith and John McNally. They both were career criminals and were enthusiastic to be offered a job no matter if I was illegal right. It was the magic word during the.
Speaker 3: Great Bath's right job.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. So they signed on for eight hundred dollars upon the death of Michael. That's pretty big cut, but they weren't only going to get it if they were needed. So with the policies and this contingent plan in place now, the Murder Trust is ready to begin acting on what they're going to do. Right Well, one evening late in December nineteen thirty, Michael walks into Marino's bar and he was strangely welcomed with open arms, no tongue lashing about begging, no remarks about his bar. Tab Tony explained that the competition between the speakeasies was becoming fierce and he really needed to change his rules. So to reward Michael for his loyalty, his drinks would be on the house from now on. So as the hours passed, Michael poured whiskey and gin down his throat while members of the Murder Truss looked at when a glass was emptied, someone was always standing close by to fill it up again. Michael drank and drank, and then drank some more. As the other patrons began to leave, and the night wore on. Michael eventually called the quits for the evening. He thanked Tony and you know, for his gracious hospitality, and he left to find a place to lay his head for the night. The following day he was back and Tony hopped to it to fill his glass up and repeated the previous day, and Michael drank and he drank some more, and Tony poured, and after drinking a spill, Michael left again for the night. So by the third day that this is going on, Tony's annoyed.
Speaker 4: Okay, Tony is cragging because it's like, do you think that alcoholism is like a plug, you just pull load them up and everything explain, No, is an irishman to this man was built.
Speaker 3: You are a whiteotype, right.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm thinking, like one night of drinking hard ain't gonna do.
Speaker 3: It three and you're irritated.
Speaker 2: Like nos an alcoholic. It's gonna take a lot to poison him.
Speaker 4: But you're gonna need a long game if you're gonna be playing this hand exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm like, these are amateurs, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: So this third day, okay, after making himself a sardine sandwich, Michael pulled up a seat at the bar, and Tony's watching all of his liquor go down Michael's throat for free bathing, Yeah, and he's yeah, he's seething. And Michael looks no worse for wear. And as he left the bar that night, there was only a faint hope that he would taken out by being exposed to the elements.
Speaker 3: On the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, oh, maybe maybe winter will get him right, you know, in combination with alcohol, the desperation of their situation starts to settle in for the murder trust, and Michael's endurance with drink is beginning to become clear to them. The reality of this easy money that they really hoped to obtain was just forcing this group to reassess the situation. Michael was drinking by the bottle, and he was getting rip worn drunk, but never showed symptoms of being like pissed drunk. Right, like he was drunk, but he.
Speaker 3: Wasn't his body his brain.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was no like alcohol poisoning. There's no vomiting. He's not guesting out. Even so, tough Tony began to argue that it was time for a more or straightforward approach. He wasn't one to continue with subtlety, as if there was any other choice, right, But the group discussed and the majority agreed that they would continue as planned. Red was the one who came up with the next idea, Gaining the attention of the other members of the Murder Trust, he suggested that they switch the whiskey and gin out for something stronger and toxic. Okay, so why don't they start pouring wood alcohol into his glass? And wood alcohol is impure alcohol or denatured alcohol, paint thinner, Oh my gosh, you know, whatever you choose to call it, it's lethal, right. Bellevue Hospital stated in nineteen twenty seven that three drinks of four percent wood alcohol could cause blindness in people.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: So if Red poured a whole glass of this paint thinner, then Michael fully ingested that maybe he would finally succumb to right drink like it had to happen, Like they're all like it's got to happen, right, Sure, So Daniel, Frank and Tony were enthusiastically on board. The wood alcohol was purchased for ten cents a can, and the endeavor began that night. So Michael begins drinking a regular old Shadow whiskey. That evening, he drank three or four shots to wunt his wits before they started pouring him straight shots of paint thinner, and concerned that he would be able to tell that shots were being played with, Red watched Michael's expression for any kind of sign of.
Speaker 3: You know, oh yeah, night for sure, but.
Speaker 2: Michael continued to ask for more, and the murder Trutch just watched and stunned astonishment. As Michael continued to drink the paint thinner and leaving that night, the group was disappointed. The Daily News reported quote that Michael merely slept it off and appeared at the speaking the next day, none for the worse of his exposure.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: The following day, when Michael showed up, they again started with the whiskey. They tainted it with wood alcohol, which soon then became glasses of nothing but paint thinner, and Michael remained oblivious to this betrayal by his so called friends. He never noticed the taste, and he actually seemed to like it. He would drink it all and ask for more. This irritated the gang, seeing that is he immuned, like what the right, So they set out a challenge to speed things up. Daniel asked Michael, let's see how much we can drink. We're gonna have a contest. So Red sets up to pour Michael some shots of the paint Thinner and Daniel has drinks of whiskey. Shot after shot, Michael drank his friend under the table.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I get so much he drank. He drank a quote and a half of paint Thinner that night. I think there's what two quarter.
Speaker 3: Of a gallon? Yeah, four quurts make a gallon.
Speaker 2: So yeah, a little over a quarter gallon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm thinking, were you really sold paint thinner where you sold water?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, I don't get it. What kind of jacket paint thinner than paint center? Quote unquote air quotes.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: So, the same story would continue several nights in a row until like these people are like something has to give. Red would pour Michael shots of what alcohol just as quickly as they were drinking. Finally, Michael started to lean and sway. One night, his words were slurred and he was incoherent. The final drink took him to the floor. He finally passes out, and the men watching. They've been waiting for.
Speaker 3: This for days.
Speaker 2: Raw Red's success gave him a sense of and the Murder Trust they had been beginning to lose money on the scheme. They'd been paying the monthly and the weekly premiums buying the liquor and the poison. The murder of Michael wasn't a cheap enterprise that they thought. Shit adds up when yes, So Michael's passed out on the floor and Frank bends down to take his pulse to check and see if he's still breathing, and then, as if to slap the Murder Trust in the face, Michael begins snoring.
Speaker 3: That is fucking hilarious. I love that.
Speaker 2: I know. So they're like, Okay, he's not dead, he's oh, but maybe he's gone blind, Like maybe this is finally the tipping point, Like maybe they're thinking is an he's not nauseous, like his stomach is like an iron stomach.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to be like gross funny.
Speaker 4: You know what, this reminds me of what's that Jim Carrey movie Me Myself and Irene?
Speaker 3: Like he used to put down that cow in the.
Speaker 4: Road, Ivy walks away the cow You know, it's just like I'm not trying to say it's funny like that. This group of idiots just to even keep up, Like, I don't see how you can not one time in the days that you're trying to kill this guy.
Speaker 3: No one had a crisis of conscious. This is this is a sign from God. Yeah, in and nothing.
Speaker 2: This paint thinner is supposedly gonna make somebody go blind if they have three shots of it. And here he's drinking quarts and gallons of the ship days per days.
Speaker 4: And then snores. I just wanted to kiss them on the forehead. Way to go, Mike, way to go, I know.
Speaker 2: So he ended up spending the night on the floor of Marina tough. Tony once again he brought up the quick and dirty method.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He pats the gun on his hip and he's like, Okay, we've sunk way too much money into this. We need to move. And Frank and Tony they declined, and they decided to plan another attempt to ensure now that they received that double indemnity policy. Oh right, drinking yourself to death doesn't qualify as an accident, and neither would some of the other attempts that they were going to follow. So the thought process was they're going to continue to do what they need to do. Frank pitched this plan. He said, Okay, what we're gonna do is we're going to soak some oysters in a jar of the paint dinner and serve them to Michael. He had run into this fatal mixture as an undertaker. I guess it happened to someone. So they're hoping that this now is going to cause like a cute indigestion when the oysters go down. Maybe it's going to be like concrete in Michael's Okay, So early January, Michael makes his way to the speakeasy and he took a seat at the bar. Although he'd been drinking paint dinner for weeks now and the entire building smelled of this chemical, oh my gosh, he didn't seem the least bit phased. After a few dreams, Tony placed a plate of oysters that had been marinating in the poison for a few days in front of Michael as they played cards at a nearby table. Frank and tough Tony look on. Michael down to oyster after oyster, and he thanked Tony for his generosity at providing him such a delicious meals after pushing away the plate, and there's no sign of any kind of illness and no complaints. They're just looking at him like what the fuck? Absolutely, and Michael's like another drink, garsone.
Speaker 3: I love your French, Michael Michel.
Speaker 2: Yes, a few regular patrons of this place, not involved in scheme. They began to see something. Yeah right. The men involved were constantly whispering and huddled in frantic discussions. The murder plot had become desperate, and it's becoming an obsession for these guys. But you know it wasn't supposed to take this long. So rather than give up, the men continued, almost as a matter of principle, like they're like, we're going to kill this fucker. So, walking away from the Oysters that night, Tony asked Michael how he was feeling, and Michael answered, never felt better in all my life.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: So after a thoughtful discussion, Red's next plan wins out. They chose to try to poison sardines. On many nights after beginning his binge, Michael would saunter up to the free lunch tray and make himself a sardine sandwich. So the next night Red purchased a can of sardines. After opening it, he left them open on a shelf to rat for a few days, and when Michael came in a few evenings later, Red smeared the rattenfish on a piece of bread. He added to it metal shavings that he got from a local machine shop, bits of broken glass, and carpet tacks, before placing one more slice of bread on top.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Once he gives this to Michael with your first shot of the paint thinner, he offers the sandwich and Michael hungrily accepts it. Yeah, and he begins eating. So Red's waiting, and he could see in his mind's eye the metal shavings and the carpet tacks like attacking Michael's organs and.
Speaker 3: Try cutting them up. Share.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's eating this. Yeah, but Michael didn't seem to feel a thing. He thanked Red for such a well crafted meal and asked for another drink after he ate the entire sandwich.
Speaker 3: Hats off to you, irishman.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I am so impressed, and just that they're so dumbfounded.
Speaker 3: Yes I would, I can't blame them.
Speaker 4: I I mean, if I was of that mindset and that was my goal, I would just be like, what the f.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like honestly, metal shavings, glass, I mean, and the paint center for now it seems weeks right right, and carpet tax like you're thinking like, okay, this has to kill it.
Speaker 4: Battle shavings, Oh my gosh, you're not digesting that, noy're putting your insides up pollary. Oh maybe he doesn't have teeth, you know, maybe thirties, because I'm like, man, if something hits my too, them all like what the fuck is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know.
Speaker 2: So on his we home one cold winter evening, Tony was thinking back to early nineteen thirty two when he had an affair with a lovely blonde hairdresser, and her name was Mabel Carlson. She was twenty seven. Originally from Washington, d c. Mabel moved to New York in December of nineteen thirty one after her mother died and her marriage failed. She found herself sitting at Marino's bar regularly, and then he brought her into his home, much to his wife Eleanor's dismay.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when Eleanor left her husband after Mabel became a regular fixture. Yeah, and Eleanor moved in with her sister in law and father in law. On March seventeen, nineteen thirty two, at ten thirty in the morning, the police were called to the Marino apartment where Mabel was found unresponsive in bed. And this is why I mention it. You might be sitting there like we were talking about Mike. Yeah, this is important. So the autopsy said she died of pneumonia and acute and chronic alcoholism. So Tony had told authorities that she'd been drinking heavily over the course of a few weeks, and she'd refused to stop or seek medical help. There were signs that she'd been physically abused, and the bruises had been covered up by like makeup. And Tony had taken out a two thousand dollars life insurance policy on Mabel, and he collected it in less than a week after she died. So, after our story ends, in Michael's death happens, I mean, I told you you'd begin it was his murder. It would come out that Tony force fed the whiskey down Mabel's throat until she could no longer drink. He helped her to bed, which he had moved under an open window. He poured ice water on the mattress, stripped her naked, and wrapped her in cold wet bedding.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so leaving her under the open window, she succumbed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the elements of course, for sure, in.
Speaker 2: Being drunk as fast. Right. So Tony's like, he's thinking back to what he did to Mabel, and now he's got this new plan that they're going to try and do this to Michael. He'd been successful, so okay, so he's like, we're going to do this.
Speaker 3: How we're going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in mid January, Michael came into the bar and Tony sat with him, had a conversation for hours with him, making sure that Michael's glass was never empty. He knew that for this to work, Michael couldn't just be drunk. He needed to be unconscious. Yes, one weather report described it to be an arctic day that day, which would be a perfect setting. Sure man out to be surrendered to the elements. But after drinking himself into a stupor, Tony and Frank carried Michael to Frank's roadster, put him in the back seat to drive him to Krotona park where he would be dragged to a park bench and laid down. So they carried a bucket of water with them, and once he was laid out on the bench, they stripped the clothes off his chest, poured water over him, and took off back to the speakeasy, confident that there wouldn't be any way that Michael was going to survive this. Right the next day, Tony walks into his bar to start the day, and he probably would have been curious as to the fate of his loyal customer, but it wouldn't take long for him to discover what happened. During the night. Michael had woke up to find himself freezing on a park bench. He made his way half a mile through Cole, New York, winner to the back of Marino's bar. Red who was not party to this plan, let Michael in. He was woken up because he was sleeping in the bar. He was woken up bicycle and he led him in to sleep in the bar. So Michael made his way down to the basement, where Tony found him. The following day, sleeping next to the heat of the guest.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, this is so I'm glad this is given Tony a hard time because he's not such a motherfucker. I'm glad that this is a thorn in his side.
Speaker 2: That day, they were like, Okay, we're waving the white flag for the day. But the group decides they got up their game because they're determined now they're gonna kill Michael somehow. It's believed that Michael would have been in severe amounts of pain struggling to reach warmth that night. Just as a side note, the next attempt would be more violent on him. Harry Hershey Green was a cam driver described as a deeply disturbed young man who saw very little value in human life. At twenty four, he hadn't killed anyone yet, but it wasn't due to lack of interest. He admitted that he was keen on the idea if an opportunity presented itself, but he needed to get paid for it. So being a friend of Joe Maglioni, if you remember he was the other counterfeitter with tough Tony, Yes, Hershey was finally going to get his chance. He would happily accept one hundred and fifty dollars to run over Michael in his cab.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the next plan.
Speaker 2: So one evening in late January, Hershey came to Marinos and met the rest of the game. During the discussions of how to get the job done, he was told, quote, if there's any doubt, back over the bastard and make sure the job's done right end Quote her She found a nice stretch of road where he'd be able to gain quite a bit of speed. January thirtieth, nineteen thirty three, Michael was plastered with wood alcohol. The smile, I mean, the smell was just odd from his schoolers. He fell limp around me. So they take him to Hershey's cab and they drove to that stretch of road that her She had found tough. Tony and Red carried Michael out of the car and held him up by both arms. Hers She backed up aways and he reaved the engine and punched the gas. The car launched. Tony and Red are now prepared. They're holding up Michael, and they're prepared to jump out right right at the last possible moment. And then Joe yelled stop. A woman had lit a lamp in her window. So this place, they decided wasn't remote enough. Hers, she had Tony and Red put Michael back in the car, and they needed to find somewhere else to carry out this plan. So just around the corner they found a spot and they pulled Michael out of the car. Again. They stood him up, and they're attempting this again. On the first attempt, tough Tony and Red were holding him up and when they jumped to get out of the way, so did Michael. For someone on the edge of consciousness, he moved quickly, so they stood him up to try it again, and he got the car for the second time. The third time they hit him. Okay, his body created a loud thump and it rolled unto the hood and up the windshield. Michael wasn't moving on the ground now Hers. She went up the hill to come back and give him a second go, But when he came around the corner, there was a car stopped at Michael's body.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, her.
Speaker 2: She picked up Red and tough Tony and continued back to the speakeasy to regroup. So they're not sure. They they're sure, like he's dead. They're positive he's dead. But they haven't chucked. Yeah, and they're sure, like the next day they're going to read all about this body that was found on the road. But the next day there's no article in the newspaper, nothing, nothing mentioned of this incident. So they're thinking, like, how did did he survive? It happened he was hit at fifty miles an hour, living at Like, how the fuck did he survive this? Everyone had seen him fly into the air basically, so where was he? They couldn't collect the insurance money without proof of a body, Yeah, So they decided to wait for a couple of days and if he was alive, you know, they figured he'd come back.
Speaker 3: Oh, he'd pop in right.
Speaker 2: But Tony wasn't satisfied. Nobody meant no insurance money. They needed a body, So less than a week after the attempt, Tony sent everyone on a quest for a substitute victim. The victim needed to look like Michael so they could put Nicholas Mellory's ID in his pocket to identify him. On February sixth, her she took his cab out to hunt for the five foot six, one hundred and eighty pound substitute victim, and the speakeases of Harlem with Tony, Joe, tough Tony and Rhett. They're hunting for a victim. Joseph Patrick Murray was a thirty one year old unemployed plasterer's assistant. He'd spent the beginning of February sixth looking for work, but had gotten quite thirsty and decided to stop at the speakeasy on the first floor of his apartment building for a few drinks. On his way out the door, he was approached on the sidewalk by tough Tony, who offered him a job. After accepting, they ushered him into Hershey's cab and took him back to Marina's. Tony was aghast at the resemblance between Michael and the new victim, and he poured drink after drink, waiting for the man to lose consciousness. Once he landed in a crumpled heap on the floor, they put Nicholas Mellory's ID in his pocket and piled him into Hershey's cab with everyone else. Like they all went and midnight, tough Tony and Red were holding Joseph Murray up the same way they had held up Michael, and Hershey was aiming the cab right at him. It took seconds for Joseph Murray to end up under the wheels with a shocking thumb and crutch. Just after the cab pulled to a stop to check the vitals on their new victim, someone shouted that a car was coming, so Tough, Tony and Red piled back in the cab and they headed back to the speakeasy, abandoning another body. Oh my gosh, And this is where I'm going to end part one.
Speaker 3: What are you Kanya? I know I am.
Speaker 4: I'm fucking hating Tony Tough, Tony fucking Joe right.
Speaker 2: Red, These idiots, idiots, right yeah, Hershey with his fucking cab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fucking Hershey and the cab and then they killed that girl. They're just horrible people.
Speaker 4: They are horrible people. And now you're making us weights because you're cruel and you're hateful.
Speaker 3: Five. Yeah, I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: That was a This is a fucking excellent story. I can't believe you know, you think nineteen thirty When I think nineteen thirty. To be honest, I'm always like, what am I doing for deodorant? What am I doing for sanitary napkins? How's my hygi and I'm thinking that alcoholism is rampant. Yeah, the country is poor, they're in the depression and there is nothing happening.
Speaker 2: This is like, yeah, there's no jobs, don't job, nothing for anyone to do all day but get the exactly or commit crimes.
Speaker 4: I guess yes, print fake money and full life insurance policies.
Speaker 3: That's that's the kind of survival.
Speaker 4: World it is apparently in nineteen thirty, really not seeing much change one hundred years later.
Speaker 3: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Everything's just gotten a little bit more difficult.
Speaker 3: It sure has it, Sure has well.
Speaker 2: Thanks you shan't it and are sweet, But I am very much looking forward to the don't google it, none of you google.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I can't wait, No way, no way.
Speaker 2: Before everyone signs off, just reminding you to hit the subscriber follow button on whatever app you're listening to. And we also have a Patreon if you enjoy our weekly episodes that we publish for free. If you'd like to join our Patreon or our members only group, you can go to patreon dot com slash t nt Crimes, or you can subscribe through the Apple app. And what that means is you get an extra episode a week if you subscribe to the highest tier in Patreon. There's lower tiers, but Apple only offers one price, so you get one extra episode a week, and you also get this episode ad free and early release. We use release on Mondays and you would get this episode a couple of days earlier. So we have a website, Crimesanconsequences dot com, so if you'd like to check out some merch that we have there, you can do that. We have to catch it up soon, so our episodes.
Speaker 3: New merch, Yes, we're working on Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're working on some new merch too. So it's all very exciting with all of the changes they've been having. So thank you Shannon for becoming my co host too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love you and I love working with you, so love you. It works out great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm having fun. So until our next episode, everyone.
Speaker 3: Yes, take care and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: You next time. Bye bye