Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. I'm Yto and I'm Stephen.
Speaker 2: And this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, welcome back, welcome back.
Speaker 2: How are you doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay. How are you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good, thank you? Just back from a weekend in Manchester for Pride. So that's one.
Speaker 1: Was that good?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was really good. Busy, I bet yeah, but really good. We saw the wonderful delights of Bewitched. If anyone knows any songs by them, they manage to fill forty minutes with their one song.
Speaker 1: So what song is that, se LEVI, Oh, I don't know it.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to sing it. This may be about karaoke, but I do not do I was going.
Speaker 1: To say, give them. Given the nature of the episode, I was wondering if we should sing the whole thing.
Speaker 2: But we may lose our listeners at my end at least. Anyway, did you get try anything that we can't?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I went, me and my boyfriend, we went to stay with my parents for a few days so that they're basically they're in the process of in the long term, in the process of retiring to the countryside, and so we Yeah, we went to stay in their nice country house. That makes it sound really fancy. It's not that fancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm seeing High Claire and everything like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my parents are moving to Downton Abbey and they're going to have servants anyway. Yeah, so that was nice. It's nice just to you know, do some cozy little things like holiday things, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We played a game that I really enjoyed. I think you'd like it.
Speaker 2: That's our Danes in the Country Pile. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's a little game with cards. It's called Shot in the Dark.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's basically a quiz kind of thing where they give you a question, then you have to all say a number that you think the answer is, and then whoever's closest gets the point. All right, Yeah, and yeah, it's quite right up my street.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. I love it.
Speaker 1: Quiz One of the questions, for example, was how many muscles are there in your fingers?
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus, but each one are all fingers combined all together? Muscles? Well? Are there?
Speaker 1: That was yeah that No, there aren't any. That was the trick of the question, that there are. They're all in your hands, the ones.
Speaker 2: That forearms, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was fun when point yeah, you get a point. Yeah. There's also one that I thought was interesting, which I've not heard of before, but it said the shortest ever war was fought between the UK and Zanzibar in eighteen ninety six, and it was how long did it last?
Speaker 2: I did know this. I do remember this being a fact. It's all of like forty minutes, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're two minutes off. It's thirty eight minutes. Yeah. I just thought that was fascinating. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do remember it being stupidly short. I thought I was over exaggerating how short it wasn't Yeah, that's about as long as it takes to get together the paperwork to sign that it's over right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I like that game. This is not. It's not an advert. It's not sponsored, but.
Speaker 2: Please sponsor us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was our episode title from last week?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: Let's have a little flashback. Shall we break well? Breaking in? But then she says technically not breaking in? Yeah, because their boyfriend Simon said that all professors keep a spare key above their glory.
Speaker 2: Hold, hang on, hang on the episode, Simon says not. Simon said, let's try that again. Professor Squire's has gone to these judges and says that it's a you, not a V in this word, and Simon says, it's a you.
Speaker 1: There we go, that's more like it.
Speaker 2: If we could trick you all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think red Herrings.
Speaker 2: We're getting we're getting too cocky with this.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll bit us on the ass when we get to pairds watch for Phobia sail alone Hide, Yeah exactly. But yeah, we put off talking about this long enough.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're back this week with Empty Orchestra, episode four of series three, and.
Speaker 1: Our souls are empty as well from having watched it.
Speaker 2: It might be a bit of a downer episode. This is not one of my favorites. Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's be cool so I didn't really remember much about it, but yeah, having rewatched it twice for this, Yeah, it's probably not one of my favorites either, But that's not to say that it's completely worthless.
Speaker 2: No, and I'll be honest. I did enjoy it more than I remembered enjoying.
Speaker 1: It fair enough. That's good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's still not one of my favorites by a long stretch.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely not.
Speaker 2: But it was better than I remember it being. Okay, so that's a bonus.
Speaker 1: It is a bonus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But two inside number nine wiki for a synopsis, Roger celebrates his promotion with a full on old school karaoke session. What ensues is an evening of hopes, dreams, betrayal, intrigue, romance, and an awful lot of singing. Can you tell I don't read these before?
Speaker 1: I I was just thinking what you said, an awful lot of singing. You could phrase it a lot of awful singing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it works both ways. I do like that it's sort of an attempt at a sort of a musical episode, and normally a fan of a musical, yeah, I'm not such a fan of jukebox musicals no, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did. I read as well that this was intended originally to be fully musical. Yeah, but they obviously they couldn't get that to work.
Speaker 2: No, there's some some of these things like the like quite night in where you're like, what can we and then they manage it this would I can't see that working.
Speaker 1: That would never have worked. No, I'm not sure for me how well the musical aspect of it works, like hmmm, because I think the idea obviously is that whatever songs come up are supposed to be sort of relevant, and you know, and they are a little bit, but it doesn't feel to me like they're really sort of advancing the story in any way.
Speaker 2: They're not. No, it's just like, oh aren't we sad? Or hear's a song about something that references a sad thing. Yeah, it's not really adding any extra nuance to it.
Speaker 1: I did like the line from Steve's characters, Oh, it's not just going to be one song after another. Is it sums up the episode? Really, doesn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And my dad's view on musicals in general.
Speaker 1: I remember watching Oliver or something like that with my mum once and her saying, but what I don't understand is how do they all know the dance moves? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my sister as well, pretty the same thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a valid question.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm never sure how much it was straining too much into just about musicals. But how much of what is in the musical in a song is actually really happening? Yeah, and how much how much is sort of imaginary? Exactly what's really happened in the last three minutes exactly.
Speaker 1: I think when it comes to musicals, you can't be looking too much into the reality of it. It's just it's a It's a medium to tell a story, isn't it. Yeah, but I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on karaoke? By the way, are you karaoke.
Speaker 1: In general as a as a concept.
Speaker 2: It's something you enjoy?
Speaker 1: Well, I've never. I've never really done it, like I've I don't have a life, so I've never. I've never gone out and sung it myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've only ever done at house parties. Yeah, I hate it though. For me, it's just it's just mothers absolutely ruining abba songs and straight guys. Butcher miss the bright side. It's just and sweet Caroline. That's all they seems to want to sing.
Speaker 1: Over and now, yeah, there are staples, aren't they that people just go to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm told I can't carry tune in a bucket, so ah, well, yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't vouch for that because I've not heard you sing, but think yourself lucky. Yeah, I mean, I quite like singing. I run the choir at school that I work at. But it's like, yeah, I know what you mean. I don't know. I guess it's something just people just do when they're drunk, and it's just like it's never going to sound great, is it.
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing for me. I'm just I'm too embarrassed that I'm like, I'm not arrogant or obnoxious enough to think that I'll put for people through this and they'll just want to deal with it. My ideal karaoke song is something instrumental, I feel, or at best, like the Tequila song.
Speaker 1: Four minutes thirty three by John Cage. Yeah yeah, I wind Ben up sometimes when he's singing, and I'm like, do you requests like something instrumental? So our number nine is a karaoke room in a karaoke booth club or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I like it's a bit different.
Speaker 1: It is different. Yeah, you can say that for it, definitely. And everyone's in fancy dress, yes.
Speaker 2: Which adds an extra nice little layer to it. Yeah, it would be quite boring if they were all just there in their work gear, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, it would be even more boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It helps differentiate the people a bit, it does. I'm going to mess up everyone's names, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we've got Greg who's played by Reese Yes, Sumo man, which so that mostly they're dressed like pop stars.
Speaker 2: Yes, except oh he was he was thinking he was a side from Gangnam Style, wasn't he apparently?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So yeah, interesting. And then you've got conn Connie.
Speaker 2: That is God, she's awful. Oh, I think she might be one of the worst characters in the whole series for me, how horrible she is for no reason.
Speaker 1: That's the bulk of my notes that just she is such a bitch, disgusting. Yeah, played brilliantly.
Speaker 2: Just horrible, horrible person to someone that's well, I suppose we don't know the backstory. Janet for all we know, might be an awful person, but as far as we know, she just hates her for no reason at.
Speaker 1: All for being deaf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, vile person, oh awful?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I have plenty to say about her. We'll come to that as we get through it.
Speaker 2: But who else we've got. We've got fran Fran the Great, Sarah Headland, yes as Britney Spears.
Speaker 1: I guess yes, I think I recognized them all who they were dressed as, apart from Janet is apparently boy George, Boy George. Yeah, yeah, I didn't get that one.
Speaker 2: Culture Club Days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'm so out of my comfort zone with this episode.
Speaker 2: Dwayne as Michael.
Speaker 1: Jackson yet got that one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And Roger as.
Speaker 1: Himself himself, the clown knows.
Speaker 2: The clown knows and one of his best accents. Oh my god, I can't wait for all your impressions.
Speaker 1: It's so broad. It's so broad. I have to say something. I can't watch Roger without thinking of my colleague, right, who, funnily enough, is the one person at work that I've talked to about Inside Number nine because he quite likes recent Steve's work. And he said to me that he watched this episode and he quite liked it. And I didn't really say much more about it, but I'm now wondering if he watched it and he just recognized himself in it because he looked he is exactly like my colleague, even the brummy accent, the glasses that the hair like. Yeah, I hope he doesn't listen to this, but yeah, the accent is crazy, isn't it. And I love the fact that they chose what snake what they're going to see because it's so perfect in their nextcent wart Snake.
Speaker 2: Box at the Royal Albut oh, bless him. Yeah, it is a funny old accent. Yes, and it's just certain words that he so goes the town on with, Yes, especially his little speech towards the end. So we start with Reese, So what forgot first? Don't you want me? Human league?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: With him and and Connie mm hm, oh they're just gross. Yeah. It's bad enough that he's having an affair, but to.
Speaker 1: Rubbing in her face like almost I think I think Connie is slightly worse than Greg with it, because you know, he's he's trying to hide it a little bit, but she obviously she's got an interest in it, falling to bits finding out anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just doesn't care?
Speaker 1: No, Oh god, she's awful. Oh she's so bad. We all know people like that as well. That's the thing, like, oh my god, this is it.
Speaker 2: The worst people are there's so many of them. It's not like the worst people are the Hitler's out there, like obviously they're bad, but the really bad, the bad people are just everywhere like her, just day to day. Yeah, just like, why are you making life harder than it needs to be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, she's obviously got issues and confidence issues of her own. I think that's why she's trying to pull other people down and make herself feel better. But yeah, it's disgusting. Just want to slap.
Speaker 2: Her as as friend does.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, good, I can understand as well. I can understand why Greg perhaps isn't the happiest with Fran because she is. She is a bit irritating.
Speaker 2: Well, she seems nice enough.
Speaker 1: She oh she's nice. But yeah, maybe I'm just being harsh. But no, you do you feel sorry for her? Like skipping way ahead? But when she gets promoted at the end and she immediately likes hugging him and bouncing up and down and can we look for a bigger flat now and all that. Yeah, and obviously the dramatica and you know what's going on. Yeah, it's quite sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, bless her. But it's the fact that it's sounder knows that. Yeah, it's just extra crawl.
Speaker 1: And I do question, like, does she really have no idea? Is she really that oblivious? I guess so, considering how much she reacts when she finds out, because yeah, but it does seem like so screamingly obvious.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they don't seem to be hiding it, but then they are drinking, so I suppose maybe they're more careful normally, Yeah, because they do that thing that really annoys me in TV stuff where we'll talk to each other in the same room as someone else when there's no music playing and they can't hear us because they're not in the camera shop. Yeah, and everyone to be able to hear what's going on in that room, it's on of like four meters square at most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 2: I know obviously it hinges on Janet being able to lip read, but she could have picked that up regardless. Yeah, she knows exactly what's going on. She doesn't need to be able to read what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, that's a good point. Actually, the lip read thing is this big reveal of oh gosh, she's understood everything that we've said, but you know, she's seen you kissing him and putting your hand down the back of his costume and all that. Like, yeah, it's not exactly rocket science.
Speaker 2: And also how much of a big reveal can it be? Surely they would know she can lip read if they work with her exactly. I don't really get that.
Speaker 1: Well, no, with I think with Connie, it's the idea that she has no interest in her. I suppose she wouldn't she and she thinks she's stupid and this and that. Yeah, yeah, I suppose she wouldn't have even wouldn't even cross their mind, I think. But it's even that face she does when she says I can lip read, and then Connie just obviously it's an audio medium. I can't do an impression of it, but that face, yeah, like so what yeah, ugh, slap slap her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm glad that this is one of the few episodes that sort of has a happy ending, which is nice. Yeah, I know we're jumping ahead, but it's all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Rare that we get them with a happy ending and the right people get the right come upances and m And.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that makes it not feel very insudnum benign y. Yeah, I mean all the stuff where usually there would be these sort of perilous moments for it all to go wrong and horribly wrong and dark and this and that. You know, so we've got Dwayne has got these pills. But yeah, you know that could have been and that could have be an opportunity for something quite dark to take over, but they kind of sidestep that.
Speaker 2: I think the first time I watched it, I expected someone was going to die m from some sort of reaction to whatever these drugs are that they've got. But I guess that in itself is the twist that there isn't a twist as such. Yeah, and it is just quite mundane and boring. The guy's getting divorced in someone's and he's leaving. That's about it.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, we've just had the riddle of the Sphinx's I'm getting cut off and eating and all that, Like, where do you go from there?
Speaker 2: I remember reading that exactly was the quote for Steve Gabe exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to do something different, So that's what they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it is like I always said before, with the like Nana's Party type episodes, just a group of people, drama situation like the stage play, the ape Bonnie type thing of the interplay between the people and it's something going to happen thing. Again, I'm not a fan of but I guess people are. So. I was surprised having a look online that this is not a particularly massively loved episode, but there are people that say it's one of their favorites. Yeah, find wild. I stumbled across a Reddit thread where people were saying how they love it so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, good for those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, don't understand it, but good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you're listening and you think we're tearing it to shreds and you love it, then sorry, we are sorry. You know, I think we are trying not to be too yeah, too harsh. But you know, that's the wonderful thing about opinions that we can all have different.
Speaker 2: Months and anthology programs, yes, so that you can have an entirely different story every week and you might not chime with one, but you will be next week's or vice versa. I'm sure there's plenty of episodes that we've raved about that people hated. So what forgot? What song have we gotten next? Saturday Night? Oh my god, lady, hell that song goes on for ages? Please? No.
Speaker 1: If I had to hear Sarah Hadlin going Saturday Day night again.
Speaker 2: She watched the words on the screen. She's not even singing the words and over again. Yeah, they do have a few more. I mean, there aren't many more words, but there are more than she bothers to sing.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to be going to sleep with that looping in my head Saturday night.
Speaker 2: I do remember thinking that the continuity must have been a nightmare in this because if they had to cut from a different angle like yes, and obvious the music will be added on later, but the words have to be in the right place exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe it was quite a technical nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: And I think they all had they all had hidden ear pieces with the track playing right, so they could do it that way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sinking it up to the words, yeah, because it's almost always you can see the words.
Speaker 1: Oh that as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, god yeah, yeah, And it's not just seeing the words. It's seeing which word is being said right now? My god, how karaokeviously works with the coloring in that it's yeah, you can't just get it vaguely right, yeah, I mean you can't. How many people are really paying attention to it that closely, but we're not continuity. People are like they want it to be spot on, which must have been a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite a challenge.
Speaker 2: Oh and we skipped over Rocha Lashians, Yeah, which it did check up on and letters are all correct. I know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking they took far too long when I first saw it. I thought I was looking at the car bit and thinking there's no U in congratulations and I was like, oh, yes there is.
Speaker 2: But it does work. It does work.
Speaker 1: It does work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember seeing them putting it up at the start and being right, and I'm like, well that's not right. It is wrong late, and then realize that they drop it and they all go everywhere that makes sense? Can Fran just not spell? How? Why does he think that she's good for this promotion which you can't even spell congratulations? Oh my god, before they've even got drunk.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the big plot element of this envelope that is Roger has it with a list of names on it, and Greg's obsessed with trying to see it so he can see who's going to be fired or major Sundant rather Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: WHI there's a whole lot of stakes.
Speaker 1: I don't really care, Abel, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like even if he finds out, okay, well you're gonna find out in an hour.
Speaker 1: Any Yeah, there's not much he can do about it. It's funny that Greg seems far more concerned about it than anyone else.
Speaker 2: You know why.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: Obviously doesn't want to lose your job, but I guess he's happy when it's Fran, or he thinks it is, Yeah, because then that's a nice easy way to get her out of out of work and he can not have to hide things as much.
Speaker 1: And yeah it's grim yeah why they also horrible?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then poor Fran gets a door to the face as well, or does she part of the whole situation When she's trying to sneak the list out of the pocket that's on the door, just as is it, Dwayne comes back in and smashes the door into her face.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't think I missed that.
Speaker 2: A bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shame it's not Connie, So I think we should talk about Janet a bit. It is good representation to have a deaf character played by a deaf actress as well.
Speaker 2: It is. And she said that she couldn't speak highly enough of the production team and how well they treated her and how she didn't feel like the token deaf person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is lovely. Which is fantastic, especially given this was made like have a long ago.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen. Yeah, it's like it could have been awful. Yeah, still back then. So that's nice.
Speaker 1: That is good. But yeah, she's a lovely character. You really, I think warm to her in the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is very sweet and just getting shat on by everyone for no reason.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Connie is obviously overt about it being horrible. And then you've got Dwayne who almost patronizes her. Yeah, it's that moment when supposedly there's this pill roulette thing and everyone's having a go at that, and then he says to her about, oh, it's all right, you don't have to as if her being deaf has anything to do with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if anyone else protested, he would have been more like oh, go for it, don't be boring or whatever. Yeah, they all just sort of pussyfoot around her and m yeah, which must be tough. Yes, I do wish that it wasn't so so like that the croux of the episode being not crocks off, but that she can lip read. Like, it would have been nice if it if her deafness wasn't really integral to the plot. It was just she just happened to be deaf. Yeah, I don't like it where it's well, if you don't serve a purpose to the script, why not be in inverted commas? Normal? Yeah, Like I remember thinking that it wasn't a great film, But did you ever watch The Eternals, the Marvel film. Nope, it didn't do very well. But that had a gay character in it, it had a deaf character in it, It had various different minority characters, but that played no bearing on the story whatsoever. And I was like, that's how you do representation. You don't go, well, we need someone that can no braille, so let's have someone that's blind, because it serves this point in the plot later. Yes, it would have been nice if if she'd just gone, you know, they'd said whatever. She'd gone, Well, yeah, it might be deaf, but that I'm not an idiot. I can see what's going on, Like, yeah, you're right, And it hadn't been that she can lip read. It's just that she's got eyes and she can see. It's it's not anything to do with her deafness.
Speaker 1: I think there's two ways of doing it. And I think I think it's important to have incidental representation, like you say, where it has nothing to do with anything. But I think it's also important to have representation where it is like part of the plot. You can have both, but like in this case, it does feel a bit, like you say, just like convenient that her deafness just is what enabled her to save the day as it were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but did you hear about how the actress Emily Howlett had learnt how to sing for it?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't, being deaf, didn't really have any concept of how singing works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, she wasn't even aware of the concept of high and low notes and what that means. And I've I've always found that fascinating as a as a musician myself, Like, yeah, the fact that we think of high notes and low notes as high and low, which is like a positional thing. Yeah, and why that is And obviously you know, if you're deaf and you've got no frame of reference, Yeah, it's wild you wouldn't have a clue. So yeah, it's incredible what she managed to do for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I saw that. I don't know how true it is because I've got this from Reddit, but apparently in an interview with Stephen Reese, they'd said that she was actually really quite good, and they'd had to in post make her timing sound a bit more off to make it sound more fitting of how to match her confidence of the character. I mean, yes, she seemed too good. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did so much homework for it. Yeah. Yeah, Wow, it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy how much work actors put in for what is half an hour's worth of screen time learning how to sing from scratch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've got Roger that's just announced that he's getting divorced. Yes, and then in their infinite wisdom, go with I know him so well.
Speaker 1: From Jet Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like to hope that that was already the next song that was going to be playing, but they all seem like Dix and I'm not sure that it.
Speaker 1: Was no, Well, I think I think Fran is a bit sorry, but I think think she's a bit thick.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Do you remember didn't even consider.
Speaker 1: It, like a sensitive person might have skipped that song. But Dwayne's just like, oh, well done, Fran, like that it was ironic.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's got I knowing so well with a lame page and the other one that Fran and Connie saying bless him in the middle, just smiling along while these two women effectively fight over him when Mom doesn't even know she's doing it. Yeah, Connie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's another example of how horrible she is. It's just every single everything.
Speaker 2: It's the my God and everything she does, every bit, every line she has is horrible breaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I can't remember exactly what she says, but there's one bit where she makes a joke at Janet's expense, and then Janet comes in and she's like, oh, sorry, did you say something? And she she can't bother to repeat it because it was it was not to her. It was just a joke at her expense, being tone deaf or something, that was it. Yes, Yeah, and that bit where she goes, I don't make him repeat it. Have some sensitivity for once in your life, like, oh, fuck off, fuck off.
Speaker 2: Oh turns out to it does a great job with it.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really makes you hate this character.
Speaker 1: Also, Connie obviously takes Dwayne's phone and sends that fake text to Janet, which, again, oh my god, she's acting like a bloody schoolgirl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just stirring it up for the sake of it and just yeah, she can tell that she likes Dwayne. Yeah, and she just wants to humiliate her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that whole bit where she says to someone else about oh have you seen this, she's all over him and all that, as if she thinks that she doesn't deserve you know, romance or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, especially when she's all over Greg. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what she's got against her, No, it's just that she she thinks that like, oh, you know, these people come in and take my jobs away from me and all that, and she thinks that, oh, she's only got where she is because people feel sorry for hers.
Speaker 2: What she says, Yeah, yeah, But then, as I said, we only see this is one night out that we've seen. They might have all worked together for the past ten years, and there might be history going on for all we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but at the end of the day, if we were supposed to take that from it, they'd have shown us that. So I think we had to take what we've seen at face value. And Janet's obviously a sympathetic character when he's a bitch. Yeah, that's all there is to it. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: So then we get the reveal that Roger has to make someone redundant and has chosen to bender La krem himself and sack himself, which I don't know how that would really work in terms of he's not in the same job Paul as they are, Like if he makes himself redundant, but then they need to backfill his role and then they'll hire externally, and potentially just because he's recommended friend doesn't mean she's getting the job.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: He might get replaced and then still one of them has.
Speaker 1: To go yeah, yeah, unless he's had the conversation and they you know, they know that's what's going to happen. But I don't know, it's not very realistic.
Speaker 2: No, we don't even have any idea what this company does.
Speaker 1: No, it's something to do with sales, because right, because Greg is worried about not having done very well on sales.
Speaker 2: Right, But isn't every company about sales. Ultimately, in some shape or form, every company is selling something.
Speaker 1: Welcome to capitalism.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I haven't a clue and we know no idea how big this company is. It could be twenty people or it could be two thousand people, with no real idea. Because if Frands getting recommended to the board for this job and she's the best they can offer, I don't think this company's going very far.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah. Yeah. It's also funny watching it, like knowing what that little conversation he has with her is about. It's about he's offering her this promotion, but they have to play it as if he's told her that he's making her redundant. Yeah, so she's got to do that sort of double meaning acting and I just find that a bit awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess there's an element of it is that she's sad that he's leaving. Yes, Yeah, and she's being one of the few nice people in the room of not going I've got a great job, and like in his face of when he's saying he's leaving his job and his life's falling to bits, and he's moving to a different country to go away from it all. Maybe she is nice, yeah, but she doesn't seem all that competent. No, maybe I've just seen too much Miranda and I can't imagine her being all that useful.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I was wondering why she didn't sing Proud by Her the Small song. So then we obviously we get the reveal that it's not that at all. It's like you said, Benda La kreming himself.
Speaker 2: Interesting if you know, you know a yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, God, I can't get over his accent when he's walking up and down the line of them and he's like, oh, I've been tesked with letting one of you good people go and hard abited.
Speaker 2: We just really choose certain words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a really delicious accent to do. Apparently it's one of the least enjoyed accents to listen to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to put off our listeners in Birmingham.
Speaker 1: But it's not me saying it's not enjoyable. It's the public. The public have spoken. The public have spoken. Yeah, then you've got this hen party that come in and invade.
Speaker 2: Oh fucking hen parties. Yes, so I live in York and ninety people a night our a hen party. I don't know how many people are getting married. They come to your because they think it's posh and classy, and then they throw up all over it and it's just inflatable dicks and feather bowers everywhere. Yeah, and it's like, I'll get out leave yeah, parties, I.
Speaker 1: Bet I just it really irrationally annoys me. That bit when they come in and they're like, oh, we've got it till half passed and they're like, oh, well it's nearly half passed now, like no wait.
Speaker 2: Although that said, that is the bit where they seem to enjoy the night out of the most.
Speaker 1: It's nice and it does make a good atmosphere for the end because the whole reveal of like oh look they've got lipstick showing up in the UV light, Like that wouldn't work so well if it was just the people from the office. Yeah, in the room. It's nice that it's more of a crowded room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the end works quite nicely. Yeah, it's a good sort of it's nice seeing them all happy old good ones. Happy Roger dancing away with a random woman. I mean, he's about twenty shots deep by this point, isn't he. Oh you're just there taking after after shot offering tickets to White Snake.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I wonder if she looks words nice.
Speaker 2: Is she?
Speaker 1: Is she singing karaoke or is she just lip syncing to a song? I don't know, because she sounds really good. If she's singing good, sounds like an actual pop star or something like. I think it's a sea song David Ghetter featuring Sire.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe. Yeah, I don't know. It's Titanium David Ghetter, but I didn't. I'm not sure who the singer on it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's featuring here, that is it. I looked it up earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she does do a good job if she is singing. Yeah, it's delicious. When when you see all fault bits for Connie and.
Speaker 1: Greg, Oh yeah, I want it.
Speaker 2: I wanted more than just a slapping her fran that is. But they're miserable. They're now both fired, not got a job, which doesn't feel very hr safe. I feel like they've got grounds for a tribunal, yes on fair dismission.
Speaker 1: But there's plenty that they can bring up about them true unprofessional conduct, I'm sure, and.
Speaker 2: I guess they could dig up something.
Speaker 1: I'm bullying Janet and yeah, yeah, ugh indeed, And then we've got this strange pairing off of Duane with Janet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: When earlier in the episode he said to her, look, you know, I don't like you that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is fine, which is.
Speaker 1: Fine, But now I'm wondering, you know, was he just saying that because he was too shy or nervous or whatever, or has he suddenly changed his mind because he saw what she did for fran Oh No, this is a.
Speaker 2: Bit I just didn't connect with. I felt like they felt like they had to give everyone a happy ending. Yeah, and that would be hers. Yeah, because it very much felt like he wasn't interested in that way and that was fine, And then all of a sudden he is, And then all of a sudden he is, Yeah, Yes.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, maybe it's just they're all a bit drunk and you know, it's not that significant, but maybe maybe, Yeah, it was a bit strange.
Speaker 2: It is, But like I say, it's nice that we have a happy ending for the people that deserve it M for once. Yeah, no one died, no one ended up chained up in a basement, no one ended up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just wish that Connie had all those things. So, yeah, I think we've exhausted the plot probably, probably.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I just found it quite a frustrating experience to watch, because the constant noise, the constant music, the constant bad singing, the shouting over the music to hear the dialogue. Yeah, I just find it very overwhelming and a bit like why am I watching this? It's not very it's not very enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for me that I struggle sometimes remembering names and remembering who's who, and when there's all the music going on top and you're trying to remember who's who and how each of them are connected and who's not saying the truth to who. I remember the first time struggling to remember what was going on and why, and feeling like it's one that you had to watch again to understand, and really not wanting to watch it again. M didn't. Yeah, it didn't really click for me so much. As I said on a second and third watch earlier today, I enjoyed it more than I remembered. I still wouldn't say I loved it by any stretch, but.
Speaker 1: So prior to today, you'd only watched it once.
Speaker 2: Ever, Yeah, I think i'd watched I think I'd tried to rewatch it and just could not be bothered. I got about halfway through and I was like, I just don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was when you were when i'd got you watching them, and I think you got around that episode and I was like, maybe I'll give it a go. Maybe I've misremembered or like badly judged it. I was like, no, I can't be bothered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly can't remember what I thought of it that first time, even though it wasn't that I'm ay, but I didn't enjoy it this time.
Speaker 2: It's such a different style to what all the others are. Yes, I know that's kind of the point of an anthology, but equally, it doesn't really have much that keeps it in that world for me, and it's almost too big a cast. Like I like it when it's just more two or three people, and it's the more the more serious ones. I guess, yeah, obviously with the comedy, but I prefer when they're a little bit more serious and have more steaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know what you mean. But like you said, it's it's all about a variety, isn't It didn't appeal to us. Well, I'm sure appeal to other people totally. So Yeah, the dreaded question, mm hmmm, what are you rating it out of nine? I don't want to be so cruel, just be honest.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever established in my head whether this is one is just that it's awful, or one there is that it's the worst episode.
Speaker 1: I see what you mean. Yes, Like I think it's more the latter. What you just said that it yeah, yeah, because otherwise they could all be eights and nine s. Yeah, I think you've got to compare them to each other somewhat.
Speaker 2: And if we put nothing lower than a three, well then three is by definition just a one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, really, and we.
Speaker 2: Just got everything out of seven instead of out of so Yeah, so unfortunately for me it's a one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: It's my least favorite episode of the whole run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised. Yeah, I'm on similar lines. I was deciding whether to do a one or two, because one does seem very low, and like I said, there are things about it that I thought were good, like TAM's in Althawait. It's performance was brilliant. Steve's performance really made me laugh. But then I look at if I give it a two, and then I've given Last Gasp and the Understudy of three, which is only one point above that, and they're much better than this. So yeah, yeah, I'm so sorry to anyone who loves it, but I think I'm gonna have to do the same as you and give it a one. Sorry, guys, Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: But on a more fun note, did you spot the hair in this one?
Speaker 1: No? And I can't even imagine where it could have been.
Speaker 2: It is a tricksy one. So it is about seventeen minutes in. It's in the photo that Steve gets out of his wallet. It's like on the bed next to him for no reason, because it has to be. Yeah, he gets the photo out and foils it.
Speaker 1: I can't even remember him getting a photo out. I think it blotted out my memory already.
Speaker 2: When you notice it, it's very obvious, okay, but yeah, if you don't happen to really be focusing on that particular two seconds of screen time.
Speaker 1: No, okay, well there we go.
Speaker 2: Is anything else that's isn't it?
Speaker 1: I've got a message to read.
Speaker 2: Oh not someone that likes this episode, is it? No, I'm just going to I don't shut all over it. And then they were like, I can't wait for you to get to him the orchestra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. To be fair, they may like it.
Speaker 2: Sorry if we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. This is from Nessa, who sent this on Discord. Just wanted to say that this is honestly one of my favorite podcasts in my rotation right now. I'm currently preparing for a monster video Reviewing every episode of Inside Number nine and hearing the refreshing perspectives of what the lads thought about the stories is seriously helpful. It also really helps that the chemistry between Stephen and Yanto are so great. It really feels like I'm talking shit with some friends about a show. We all love absolutely great podcasts, and I'm so excited to see the rest of the show covered, especially Deadline.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: That's nice, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We're lads.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, that's the first time I've ever been described as a lad. We're lads in my life. I'm one of the lads. Oh thanks Beta, Yes, so thank you Nessa.
Speaker 2: Oh it's really sweet.
Speaker 1: That is really lovely to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very sweet.
Speaker 1: And we're sorry that we read your message out on what was such a debbie downer of an episode. Your message was the highlight of the episode. Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: That's really sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for that. And yes, just to reminder that if anyone is into discord and all that stuff, we've got our Discord server. You can find it on our link tree in the show notes. What we watching next week?
Speaker 2: Next week we have little little dumping Ah yeah, okay, different one.
Speaker 1: Yes, from what I remember, I quite liked it, so we shall see. It's got to be a step up from today.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, definitionally, we can't go lower than we went.
Speaker 1: Today, well unless we give something zero, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It was an option, and retrospectively zero that just feels too cruel for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, minus nine. I always that's a completely random tangent. But you know, on like quiz shows and stuff, when you score money as you go up and then if you go down below zero, you go into the minus and I always think, if you get to the end of the show, are they expecting you to pay them that much?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry you didn't wear now two thousand pounds please anyway? Yes, so, we'll be back next week for Little Little Dumpling. We'll see you then, but for now, I reckon it's time to turn off the backing track number nine.
Speaker 2: But the music never really stops, does it?
Speaker 1: No? Saturday Day night. Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.