Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm going Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm a great job. Thanks very much for that kind introduction. As we head off on a four hour flight of conversation here on night Side every Monday through Friday night, Rob Brooks the great producer back at the control room at the broadcast Center, and I basically throw some topics out for discussion and conversation, and most often you folks are interested in comply. We have four quick guests coming up here in the eight o'clock hour, just very briefly at nine, we're gonna give you every piece of information you will need to protect yourselves and your family against what will be the onslaught of ticks if you go outside in New England. This year, tick Man Dan joins us for one of his annual visits with just a lot of great information. And then we will celebrate the decision by the FDA, the Food and Drug Administration, along with the Department of Health and Human Services to phase out all petroleum based artificial food dies in the nation's food supply. And I'll tell you many people thought Robert F. Kennedy Junior was a little different. Well on this one, I couldn't agree with him more and he has done a great job, and we'll discuss that and give him the credit that he is due. But first let's get to our guests. We're going to start for off with Adriana o'conness. Adriana, Welcome to night Side.
Speaker 3: How are you hi, Ked'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: You're just fine. You're a consumer credit card analyst for US News and World Report, and it looks as if we are wallowing we as a country, a wallowing in ignorance when it comes to the value of credit cards, how much we are spending on credit cards. And I guess more than half of us don't even know that there's something called a FYCO score, which is a really important thing to know about what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we since April is Financial Literacy Month, we wanted to do a survey kind of gauge consumers general financial knowledge, and we found about half of respondence, about fifty three percent didn't know that your FYCO score is what lenders look at to determine your credit worthiness. And actually over forty percent of people were confusing Fyco with one of the credit scoring heros, so they thought FICO was experience or equafax.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because I did not know what FYCO stood for. I know what it is, obviously, I get a member of these credit bureaus and trying to make sure that my credit stays in good shape. I'm somebody who goes over my credit card bill every month with a fine tooth comb to make sure that nothing else is on that credit that credit bill that I perhaps didn't pay for. Every once in a while, some you catch something. But the point is FIGO I've learned today, and I will admit I looked it up stands for fair Isaac and Company, which is just an acronym for a predecessor of one of the credit score companies.
Speaker 3: H Yeah, and it's it's fine because we don't expect consumers to know like what FYCO stands for. But it's just really important that consumers know that what their FYCO score is because so many either confuse it for one of the bureaus or didn't know outright that that's what lenders look at to determine their credit worthiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what how do we solve this? I mean, I do believe last night we had well actually I think it was two nights ago. We had a high school teacher along with a student, a group of students who are going to a financial literacy competition the Massachusetts state champion. So there are schools. In this case, it was Lexington High School, famous town, you know, the Battle of Lexington and conquered or conquered in Lexington. Which order you put it in depends upon where you grow up or where you live, right, And so one school is doing a great job. They have these kids who were really savants and they they they would run circles around me. And I think I have some level of financial knowledge. But what's going on with the rest of the country. I mean all these people who are just blowing through their credit card schools. I mean this is dangerous stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of it just comes down to the blind leading the blind. Because we asked consumers like, hey, where do you get your financial advice? Where do you go when you've got your financial questions? And almost fifty percent of respondents said that they seek out their financial advice from friends and family, you know, and the as far as like reading online publications, you know, like US News, you know, only twenty five percent admitted to getting the information they needed from online publications, and we even found out over thirty percent don't seek out financial advice at all.
Speaker 1: Do they do? They get their medical advice and their legal advice from like their uncle Hubert? I mean you.
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: Actually do actually? Do they actually go to like a doctor or a lawyer if they if they have a medical.
Speaker 3: Legalist, you wouldn't go to uncle Hubert for a medical opinion, Like why would you go to aunt Carrol when you have a question about your finances?
Speaker 1: I guess it's convenient. I don't know what other other answer. I got a question about my finances. Here. One of the things that people do young people, they get credit cards and they think, who time to just buy? What? How big at a big screen TV? Can I buy? You know, I want one bit, say four hundred inches diagonally? Yeah, so I could put it on the side of the house.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a lot of back, yeah, a lot of a lot of what we found is like when we asked consumers like, hey, like your first credit card, like, be honest, did you max it out? You know? And about forty percent of respondents were like, yeah, I maxed out my first credit card, And the reasons why are pretty much what you expect. You know that I was young and dumb. I had there were so many things to buy and I had so little income, so I just put it on my credit card, you know. So it's it makes sense. You know a lot of young consumers they get that first credit card and they don't have that guiding hand, so they end up over sending and as a result, they can end up maxing out that credit card.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the things I find out really early when I got my first credit card, which is a long time ago, I said, wait a, say, I'm being charged an annual fee by this company to have a card. Oh, that's not going to work. I called them up and I said, want to cancel the card? Cancel the card, And the nice person in the end Refluence, said well, why do you want to do that because you're charging me a fee. You're charging me a fee. Oh, we can remove that fee if you'd like, Okay, then don't cancel the don't cancel the.
Speaker 3: Card, ye make I always recommend to consumers and readers like, Hey, if you're you're struggling and you can't do that financial fee, call up your instrum and see how they can help you. If they can't waive the fee, they'll more than likely try and give you like some sort of credit so that way they can kind of help ease that financial burden. But honestly, it never hurts to call an ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that most of the credit crowd companies now have gotten away from charging the fee because they think that there are enough of us who are young and dumb or old and dumb who pay off. You know, the ten percent that you know your credit card bill of fourteen hundred dollars you only have to pay how forty that sounds like a great deal, right, yes? And then the twenty seven percent compounded interests daily or hourly adds up.
Speaker 3: Let's possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: Hen Yep, absolutely, I take such pride at the end of the year in December because I love to look at the amount of interest that I haven't paid on my credit card bill. Pay it full, get rid of it, move past it. And if you find it's cost you do too much, then guess what, you know, just just back off a little bit. You sound to me like someone who really knows this subject. And how can people follow some of your your writing in your wisdom at US News and World Report.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Dan. They can head on over to money dot usnews dot com and there they'll be able to find all the information they need on credit cards, mortgages, personal loans. You know, don't let Aunt Carol talk you into a card with an annual fees, like come read our reviews first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and to get Uncle Hubert at all. I mean, the guy's been in the attic all these years. He knows nothing, he's never.
Speaker 4: Had a card.
Speaker 1: In fact, last guy you want to talk to, Hey, I really enjoyed it. Thanks, Adriana, we'll talk again.
Speaker 4: I hope, thank you so much, so good, thank you.
Speaker 1: All Right, we come back with a look at a different sort of dilemma, and that is how strange, how strained female relationships either amended or ended. I'm going to talk with an author. She's a gender expert and best selling author, Susan Shapiro, And I guess female friendships, how would I know, are more difficult to sort of maintain, cultivate than guy friendships. Maybe we're just more transactional and probably not as as deep. I don't know. We'll figure it out, Susan Shapiro. Coming back on the other side, I also want to remind you, as I've done a couple of times already, that we have some big news from iHeart. iHeart has just been named the twenty twenty five Podcast Company of the Year by the Webby Awards, also known as the Oscars of the Internet. iHeart snagged fourteen wins and we could not be prouder. Shout out to the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences for bestowing this incredible honor and showing just such good judgment. You can find all these award winning podcasts on the free iHeartRadio app. You can go and check them out right now. Just download that new and improved app. You can make WBZ your first preset on the app too, by the way, which means you will never be more than a fingertip away from being in contact wherever you are in the world with WBZ. Three hundred and sixty five days, twenty four seven, My name's Dan Ray. Were come on right back talking about the complexity of female friendships.
Speaker 2: If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on wb Z, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to talk about something that I know nothing about. There's a lot of things I know nothing about, and one of them, is the strain that exists in female friendships and how those friendships are either ended or mended. We're don to talk about the complexity of female friendships. I have friendships with a lot of females, but that's not the type of friendship we're talking about with us, is gender expert and best selling author Susan Shapiro. Susan, I guess I always assume that friendships between women were similar to friendships between men. Sometimes friendships last your entire life, and sometimes you get disappointed. But I guess it's a little different according to your research. Tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's totally different. And women hold the bar so high in these female friendships, and we actually feel that husbands or partners come and go, and jobs change and you move from here to there. But the female friend, the best friend or the closest friend, that's you know, forever, and it's just not what it is and things are really changing based on my research.
Speaker 1: So how did you get interested in this issue in the first place. I mean, obviously there must have been something that prompted you to to get just you know, get down and dig a little deeper here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. This is my fourteenth nonfiction book, and for each of my studies, I'm looking at how women really feel versus the faces we wear, and how women are positioned in contemporary American society, which means a patriarchal culture. So female friendship is, you know, something we've been taught since we were young, that it's just forever, and yet women in real time are saying, you know, my friend betrayed me. My friend didn't respect me. It hasn't been an equal relationship. My friend has a drug problem, a drinking problem, and I can't be her enabler anymore. My friend let someone get between us. You know, everything must fine until I found a new partner. Now it's a triangle and doesn't treat me the same. So we're seeing lots of real stories where women from twenty to eighty concided that they're now doing something that has to happen before and that it's their estranging and they're feeling empowered by that act.
Speaker 1: Okay, probably empowered, but maybe a little guilty too. I guess it's difficult here. It sounds to me, so has this one.
Speaker 5: They always you're right. I mean, it's not like a slam dunk. I mean, it takes a while and miss the friend.
Speaker 1: So has this always existed amongst women, or have they all of a sudden as they have spent more time working and in the dog eat patriarchal world that you mentioned, has that added to the complexities for them? Or is it something that that is something women have been dealing with since the Stone Ages.
Speaker 5: Women have been dealing with it but not really facing it because we've all been told that these friendships have to last, and that that's our safety haven.
Speaker 1: But I who told you? I don't understand that. Who told them that? I'm a little confused on that point.
Speaker 5: Did they learn that in school little messaging? Our mothers, our aunts are teachers, female teachers, They've all, you know, just it's been the story that sure there. I did a whole study in two thousand and six on female competition and rivalry. It's called tripping the prom queen. So it isn't that women haven't always known that there can be jealousy or competition among us, but that we were also always told that the true friend and this book is about your closest friend. It's not just about an acquaintance or someone you're not that close with. And how that person is someone you can rely on and it's not always the case. And what's interesting is that in the last two elections, and with vaccines and with raising children with or without vaccines beyond the COVID vaccine, these decisions have been very divisive for women. So some of the younger women in the study have said, you know, my friend and I don't have the same values anymore, and I can't live with that. I'm not comfortable anymore.
Speaker 1: And women didn't do that, just so I understand what you're saying there. Okay, so you're saying that when you mentioned the elections, I assume you're talking about presidential elections.
Speaker 5: I am. I am the last soul where it was like a line in the sand.
Speaker 1: If your bestie, if your bestie for thirty years all of a sudden confides in you that they've decided to vote different than you have in this election. It's like when a husband tells a wife that you know they're going to vote differently. That destroys a thirty year relationship.
Speaker 5: Not always, but for some women it seemed to be a deal breaker that when their values weren't the same. It was in the last two years when I started this research, you know, on a deadline to get the book finished, and I was listening to so many women, and it was a very diverse group of women, and they kept saying that things seemed more black and white than it used to be, not so great, and that was just one of the deal breakers, which was interesting.
Speaker 1: I've done politics for a long time and it's it was always black and white in terms of Democrat and Republican. I know that everybody likes to say, let's go back to the good old days. Unfortunately, sadly, there were there have been elections throughout you know, our retireity street going back millennium, not millennium, but a couple of centuries where they've got a really, really nasty let me come back to So you've defined the problem for particularly women, and I suspect that there have been some men who decided that their best bowling buddy now is going to vote off from them, that that costs some male relationship some male friendships too. But I have no research like you have. So what do women have to do to to basically, I guess, get past this obstacle? Or is it just an obstacle that unfortunately is going to be there forever well in.
Speaker 5: Terms of having different values.
Speaker 1: It really in terms of not being able to say to a close friend, you know what. You and I disagree on this, Okay, I mean, but you're still my best friend and I'll vote this way, you vote that way. Let's go have a drink. How do you how do you get past? Now? I'm not just talking about the election, but all of a sudden you're going to lose a friend over something, I don't know what, whether it's an election or all of a sudden you find out that your friend is a closet Yankee fan. I've known you all these years, You've gone to be with you with Red Sox games, and now you have a picture of Derek Jeter in your apartment. Why didn't you tell me I'm never speaking to you again. I'm trying to write this up.
Speaker 5: A little bit, okay, but Dan, it doesn't really play out like that. I mean, it's that's just one section of the book. But in my study, women talked about being betrayed by a friend, feeling that the friend didn't respect them, they weren't treated equally. The friend had chosen a very different lifestyle.
Speaker 1: So what's the solution. Unfortunately, I'm getting close to my to the end of our time here, and I'm having fun with this. I'm really enjoying this conversation. I think you and I, if we have had dinner together, we would either be friends or would be screaming of each other. But so, what can women do? How do you? I know it must be horrible when you feel that a friend of thirty or thirty five years turns out to disappoint you, and I'm sure there's plenty of ways that can happen. How do you do you have to just kind of ignore it? Or do you have to say that's it, I'm finding a new bestie.
Speaker 5: Well, women aren't that good at confronting people. You know, that's not their favorite things, so they don't.
Speaker 1: Really met My wife Susan go ah, okay, well a lot of I'm teasy. I'm trying to or my daughter. I'm trying to lighten it up here at you what what? What? What advice? Well? Better yet, I think what women should do? So I think they should buy this book so that that we've we've outlined the problem, and I hope that that you've provided perhaps some solutions, potential solutions.
Speaker 5: There are solutions there and ideas. Just stranging and feeling okay about it is one of the solutions for sure.
Speaker 1: Excellent, excellent, okay, Susan. When is the book out? Is it? Is it already out?
Speaker 5: Book is just out now?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? Great? Okay, So they can find it at I'm sure Amazon are great bookstores. It's simply called I believe. If I'm wrong, tell me estranged how strained female friendships are mended or ended?
Speaker 5: Perfect?
Speaker 1: Corrects? All right, thanks joined the conversation. I really did. I like to get into this stuff, even though it's a set relatively brief period of time. Uh uh. And I listen to everything you said, and I'm taking it into consideration and I really appreciate great.
Speaker 4: Thanks very much.
Speaker 1: Susan, You're very welcome. Okay. We got the news coming up at a thirty and then we're going to talk about a big team walk for cancer care involving the Lowell General Hospital up in Lowell, which is a great facility. And we'll also talk a little bit later on at eight forty five with the Center for Disease Control weighing some end options of universal COVID vaccine recommendations. Talking with doctor Shira Doron, who's been with us many times. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you very much, Emma. As always as we will continue our conversations here in the eight o'clock hour. Like to introduce Bruce Robinson. Bruce, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, Thank you for inviting us.
Speaker 1: Bruce is on the board of trustees. He's also the development chair at Lowell General Hospital. And you folks have a big team walk for cancer Care coming up, not this Sunday, but the following Sunday. Tell us about this. Is this a new effort to pull your team together or is this an annual event that has been going on for some time at Lowell General.
Speaker 4: This is, in fact, Dan our twenty six annual Team Walk for Cancer Care. So this has been a long standing event that we do once a year, and over the twenty five years to date, we've raised over sixteen million dollars and we've been able to provide help for over forty two thousand patients who are fighting cancer.
Speaker 1: Wow, twenty five years, sixteen million dollars. So you folks raise quite a bit of money every year. It looks I'm looking at the flyer that you folks sent to us, and I guess you have a parking at the Songus Center, which makes it easier. This event goes rain or shine. It starts at eight o'clock on that Sunday morning, May fourth. It's a three mile walk, so that's a relatively easy route. You know, not for everybody, but a lot of people can do the three miles kind of circum navigates. Well, tell us about tell us where you how much of woe looks at me like your walkers are going to see a lot of the city of Lowell. Tell us about the well, you know, just the experience. First of all, we can talk about how.
Speaker 4: Is your.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it is.
Speaker 4: It is a great day. I can tell you, Dan, it's my favorite day of the year. My wife knows. It's not my anniversary, it's not my birthday, it's not the holidays. It is Teamwalk for Cancer Care because the money we raise is a little bit different than other cancer raising efforts. We're not looking to find a cure. Every dollar we raise stays here to help our patients in the Merrimack Valley fight this disease. There's all kinds of unknown expenses that happen as a result of this. So people need help with transportation getting back and forth for radiation or chemotherapy. People need wigs, they lose their jobs temporarily. We help pay bills, We buy medications, we buy prosses, whatever people need. They've got a big enough shore fighting cancer, and what we're trying to do is to make that fight a little bit easier in any way that we can.
Speaker 2: And as long as.
Speaker 4: You're being treated at our cancer center, that's what we do. The day itself, you are asking about seeing quite a bit of oil. The walk is absolutely gorgeous. We feature not only downtown l but we also walk a good part of the walks along the banks of the Merrimack River on the River Walk, and it is if you've never done that, it is really a showcase for the CEOL to see the rushing river and the mills and the rapids. It's really quite something. So people that come don't worry about the three miles. It's all flat. We have lots of people that come with baby carriages. We have people to come with their well behaved dogs, you know, it takes a little woe for an hour, and we have free coffee and donuts when you get there. We have face painting for the kids. We have a scavenger huts for the kids. It's very much an upbeat day. And my favorite part of the walk in is when the Canter patients come in. Their share givers are there at the finish line, putting metals on them, congratulating them for making the effort and completing their journey. So it's it is really a superior day. It is very very upbeat. It's not a down day. There's certainly a lot of remembrances of people that we lost, but more than that, there's so many hopes and encouragement of people that are fighting the fight and have beaten the disease. And that's the message people need to know that if you get the diagnosis, don't give up the ship. The fight's just beginning, and this walk celebrates that spirit.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I'm talking with a friend of mine today in South Dakota and got a pretty tough diagnosis last fall. And again, you don't think of South Dakota as being one of the medical meccas of the world, with all due respect to my friends in South Dakota, but he was told this week that you know, he went through everything he had to go through wasn't easy. Uh, but but he tells his doctors have told him, you know, he's free of cancer. And just to hear him express out on the phone today was was amazing. In terms of everything that you mentioned about the schedule and the flat walk, I want you to know you had me with the magic words for free coffee and donuts.
Speaker 4: Dunkin Donuts there They've been with us for so many years.
Speaker 2: And not just you know.
Speaker 4: Not just the Plaine Donuts. We have crawlers and sprinkles, the whole.
Speaker 1: I mean. My favorite is the glaze sticks. I mean the regular plain glaze sticks. I mean because so you know, and again, if if dunkin Donuts and playing blaze sticks were illegal, I would be you know, arrested for for a variety of reasons. You know, I probably would be you know, holding them or something. But look, it sounds like a great event. Let's talk about you welcome new folks. Obviously you've got a great cadri already. How can people participate? Can they just sign up the day off or do they have to join ahead of time. Is there a minimum to participate? What's the given? No, give us the details.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we want to make it as easy as possible because everyone is in a different phase of their life right now with all the turmoil going on.
Speaker 2: So this is easy.
Speaker 4: If you want to come that day and just walk, you can do it. But what we really would like people to do to help us raise funds is if you go to our website teamwalk dot org. You can go right there and you can make a donation. You can support a walker or a team, you can offer to volunteer at the event if you want onto, or or just once again, just make a donation online. So it couldn't be any easier. And you know, WBZ has a big part of this walk and has had for a number of years. Your traffic reporter in the morning, Lori Grandy is one of our co hosts along with Channel five Cindy Fitzgibbon. So they are there and they've been very strong partners for OZ and so thanks to WBZ for Laurie.
Speaker 1: Well, I know both of them, and you have somebody that can get you there safe and sound as a traffic reporter and someone who can make sure that the weather will be good that day. I mean, you got every continuency covered here, Bruce.
Speaker 4: If I had a leprechan I'd use that as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, and utilize the pot of gold that hopefully the leprechaun could lead you. If there any leprechauns out there have a pot of gold. Again, give us that website one more time so folks.
Speaker 4: Can get into it wwwteamwalk dot org. And it it's very simple, very easy. Even I can use it.
Speaker 1: So that's how I'm going to make it even simpler for you. You don't need the www dot anymore. It's just teamwalk dot org. Trust me, that www Dot thing is, you know, And I'm not like mister sophisticated when it goes to that stuff. Teamwalk dot org. Everybody be there a be square Sunday, May fourth, free parking at the Songa Center. Great cause they're not looking for a cure. They're looking for Their cause is to help people who are dealing with some form of cancer at Lowell General Hospital. And free coffee and donuts Dunkin Donuts. What more could anyone?
Speaker 4: And we all we say is just please give a little bit and guess what you'll be making a difference in the lives of so many of our friends and neighbors.
Speaker 1: Dan sounds great. Bruce Robinson, I really do appreciate it. Your great sport. We talk about we talk during this hour of the program about some serious subjects. Theres nothing more series areus than cancer, obviously, and for you to have the spirit that you have and your walkers, it's inspirational. Just wanted to say thank you very much for what you do.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir, We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All Right, we get back. We're going to talk about a different issue, and that is universal COVID vaccine recommendations with doctor Shira Doron. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, COVID is still around all appearances, sometimes to the contrary, and whenever we talk about COVID, we like to check in with doctor Shira Dorone, the chief infection control officer for Tough's Medical Medicine and the hospital epidemiologist at Tufts Medical Center. And we're talking tonight with doctor Dorone, who I must immediately say, great to have you back. Thanks so much for coming back, doctor Dorone.
Speaker 6: Wonderful to be back with you, and.
Speaker 1: We are going to talk tonight. I guess the CDC, and I assume this is because there's a new leadership team at the cd to see are weighing some changes in the universal COVID vaccine recommendations that we have all become used to over recent years. Am I off too far off based on that?
Speaker 6: Well, no, I'm glad you said it that way, because I do want to clarify that the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices did meet last week. They are an independent external advisory committee, and they discussed covid vaccines, but not you know, in this conversation, not under the influence of the new administration.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then it seems to me, and I'm looking to depoliticize this conversation, and I think you are as well. It seems to me that just because these recommendations might sound to be more comfortable to the Trump administration and people in leadership of the Trump administration than maybe the Biden administration, which might have been a little more strident on this, it's not their influence is not. This is this is an advisory committee that is a standing committee. I guess that maybe at some point in time President Trump will be able to appoint, but at this point it's a committee that's a holdover committee from the Biden years.
Speaker 6: Is that that's exactly right. The members are the same, and their meeting materials were generated before the new administration took over. The meeting was supposed to happen in February. It was postponed, but they actually shared a survey of the work group members on COVID vaccines, and the survey results show that they already had these opinions before the new administration place. So there is a lot of confusion about that because there are some new headlines today that might suggest otherwise.
Speaker 1: Well, as a journalist, and I'm a talk show host, but primarily I'm a journalist, I'd like to try to make sure we clarify that. So having done that, these new recommendations, if adopted, might make the advisories a little less stringent. If that's a word that I an aeducate that I could employ.
Speaker 4: Correct, that's right.
Speaker 6: And I wasn't actually expecting this conversation, but I agree with it. So the Advisory Committee discussed a pretty major change that they would vote on at the next meeting in June, and that change is to shift from a universal recommendation on COVID vaccination, so everyone over the age of six months gets an initial and an annual vaccine, to a risk strategy that is really focused on people at high risk with risk factors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now I'm not a medical professional, noll I played one on the radio, but I was very sympathetic to young people, a group that I left many years ago, who were saying we're not sure, you know, particularly young people who were thinking about having a family, young women. There was a Massachusetts State Police trooper who, amongst others, a female trooper who they lost their jobs because they did not comply with the obligation to get a vaccination. They actually were given some consideration and they said, well, you don't have to get a vaccination. That's the good news, but the bad news is that since you're not getting a vaccination, we have no positions left and we're going to have to terminate you from the state police because we want to make sure everyone in the state place. I'm using them as an example because I'm aware of it interface with the public, and we cannot afford to allow you interface with the public unless you're vaccinated. So it was kind of a you know, ultimate catch twenty two if you hit my drift. So I was very empathetic to young people. I mean, COVID might be extremely I got all my vaccinations FRO. I'm vaccinated up. But is this the sort of flexibility you think that this advisory panel is talking about, that you don't treat a twenty nine year old woman the same as you do you treat an eighty five year old man, if you know what I'm trying to get.
Speaker 6: At exactly, so that you know, age would be one of the major risk factors that would be considered in the new recommendations. For sure, age is the number one risk factor for severe COVID and other things like being immuno compromised, having heart or lung disease. You know, those are some of the things. You know, it's too late to sort of go back and re litigate the concept of the vaccine mandate or the vaccine passport. As you recall when you couldn't go into certain restaurants and things were very different when we had overwhelmed hospitals full of COVID, which we don't have anymore. And we also had that early clinical trial data on COVID vaccines that showed that they were ninety five percent effective at preventing the infection. That unfortunately did not last. And now as we know, people who are vaccinated continue to get infected over and over again. It just hasn't been the kind of vaccine that provides that sort of long term, strong protection, unlike say the music vaccine, which is that way. And so it's time it's time to rethink that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think there were a lot of people back then who I remember when they said, you get the vaccine, you'd be all set, you won't get COVID. Then they said, well, if you get the vaccine, a likely event you get COVID, it won't be bad. And then they said, yeah, you might have to go to the hospital, you might have a bad case, but you won't die. But they were people who got vaccinated.
Speaker 6: Who died, that's right, And they weren't we And these weren't lies, right, they weren't lies. Things were changing, things were actually changing over time.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: And so one of the issues really is you know that I think is the most compelling reason to make this change in recommendation now is that those those feelings that people had about having, in some cases being forced to get the vaccine when they weren't ready, and seeing that people who were getting the vaccine did get infected, to get hospitalized, did die, some of that is contributing to today's vaccine skepticism about other vaccines. It's contributing to the decreased uptake in say, routine childhood back nation, which then in part is leading to outbreaks like the current measles outbreak that's really raging in Texas and surrounding states. And so if we can sort of pull back on some of the absolutism as it relates to co vaccine, the hope is that we could regain some of that public trust or trust in public health.
Speaker 1: We could agree with you Moore, and I also thought, again there was sort of the great unknown twenty nine year old woman who was hoping maybe at some point in her life to have children. There there was no indication as to what the implications of taking the vaccine would have been. So anyway, we lived and we learned. Let's put it like that, doctor Thank you so much, doctor Drone for coming on with us, because you always explain things so clearly, and I'm sorry if I stumbled a little bit in the beginning. I wanted to make sure that we got it right from the start. So thank you so much for your for your cooperation.
Speaker 6: Tonight, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Your good nature. Thanks so much. All right, good night. When we come back, we're going to tell you everything. Well I won't, but tick me and Dan will tell you everything you need to do about ticks, how to prevent being bitten by a tick, and what to do if you get a tick so you don't get lime disease. We got it all coming up for you, lots of good information and we'll take all questions for the next hour back on nightsight after this