Speaker 1: It is six oh five here at Kentucky and it's morning news bit coffee with you here on News Ready eight forty. Whas not sure if the rain has arrived just yet. I don't believe that it has, but we're expected to have a wet and potentially sloppy and delayed commute for folks this morning. And I started the show today mentioning that this is one of the benefits of being one of the early risers when it comes to just being up before. I mean, today just worked out well with timing. I hadn't started raining yet. But for those of you that are out there that typically take the Kennedy Bridge, you're probably not super surprised that, you know, there's more construction going on, more lane closures that are probably going to impact your commute. And I tried to find I guess some type of a silver lining here. Can we call it that, Scott, that at least at least they've been to this before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been through it before, and most of us know. But what I do appreciate when you open the show, Nick, was that you brought this up because I guarantee you there's somebody listening that goes, oh, I forgot all about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forgot.
Speaker 2: I do it all the time, dude.
Speaker 1: If we've reminded you, hopefully the that helps. And it's going to be the left lane and the shoulder that is closed. And as far as how long this closure lasts, I mean, you really never know for sure, but as we discussed, they've been through this before, because there's been many times in the last six years where there's been multiple closures, and obviously the length in which these lanes are closed and you've got maybe an alternate route or maybe you're adding twenty thirty minutes whatever to your to when you leave for work because you want to make there. You want to make it there on time, and obviously the commute is getting longer. How long it lasts it varies, but there is an average here. So the average duration of lane closures for construction repairs on the Kennedy Bridge from twenty nineteen to June of twenty twenty five is approximately twenty nine point three days, so roughly a month.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: To me, that seems like just another reminder that they've been through this before, and you know, for it's not uncommon and a real surprise when they are driving across this bridge and realizing, yeah, there's a working on it. They're doing some work, various different things that need to be repaired. So hey, I'm sure it's not anything anybody wants to happen. At least you have had to do this before, so it's not maybe such a big shocker and such a big inconvenience when you have to add some time to your travel.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Is there anything more frustrating though than encountering your traffic delay. And I don't know that we do it so much more now because we have apps that can gear us around that. But an unexpected construction zone, for example, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, or an accident, it's sitting in traffic is it's the worst. I mean, it's frustrating, and I don't know why I'm this way. Maybe it's just how I'm wired. I think it's one of the many flaws I have. But when I'm in traffic and it has delayed me, I don't know, ten to fifteen minutes, And really, more than anything, I think the kicker is that when I'm not moving.
Speaker 3: At all exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's say I go five to ten minutes where I'm not moving at all and I can look ahead and see that there's some type of accident, some type of you know, it looks as if this is where the traffic starts. There's been something that happened here that has led to the jam. And when I don't see any type of police lights or ambulance anything like that, And then I get up there to finally hit that spot where I can go through, and I see nothing, it makes me even more frustrated. I guess the good thing is it doesn't look as if there was anything super you know, tragic myth myth, but.
Speaker 3: What led to me being delayed.
Speaker 1: It won't get me there any quicker, It has no impact on the rest of my day. But having to wait and then never figuring out what caused.
Speaker 2: It, you know, it's like there's no payoff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it for some reason, I got it. I want to know.
Speaker 2: Well, MythBusters did a thing on this, very interesting. You probably find it out YouTube. It's the bump effect, the break light effect that when and I noticed this when I go sixty five south to the to the waters and if you tap your brakes they figure this out in traffic jams, if you tap your brakes, it causes almost an accordion sort of bump effect. And because I did the same thing, but I'm going sixty five south, then I'm going around the horse barns. For whatever reason, it is so slow right by Arthur Street. The minute you go round, there's nothing there and everybody's flying like it's the Indy five hundred.
Speaker 3: But for everybody's just congestion, I guess, right.
Speaker 2: So what I try to do when I drive is I maintain a nice distance between myself and the car in front of me so that I don't have to hit my brakes, because that's frustrating too if you're behind somebody that's constantly pumping their brakes. So but the problem with that is if I do that, then everybody keeps wedging in front of me and I start falling further and further back. So but watch the MythBuster specially.
Speaker 1: I need to check that out. Miss Butler's is interesting in general, and.
Speaker 2: I think that has a lot to do with what you're talking about. When you get up to a scene and there's nothing there, there's no quote unquote payoff is what I like to call. I mean, at least give me something. Give me a car pulled off to the side.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's been somebody just maybe their car broke down exactly, maybe they ran out of gas, or maybe there's just a real light fender bender, and while you're delayed, thinking, come on, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Can anybody drive anymore? I've been in that position.
Speaker 1: And then I get up to either the person who'said the middle lane with the car broken down, and I think, man, that would really Fortunately I've never been in that situation before, but man, their day is already off to a much worse start than mine. I should be thankful exactly a little traffic, yeah, I should be. I consider myself lucky compared to this person who's just sitting there knowing that they're keeping everybody from getting where they need to be and they're having to call Triple A or something like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's so awful. Yep, filed out.
Speaker 1: But just a reminder, folks, there is going to be probably some delays this morning with wet weather on the way, as well as some lane closures on the Kennedy Bridge. We'll have another update on traffic and weather right here right now on news Radio eight forty whas it is six sixteen here at news Radio eight forty whas Kentucky Anda's Morning News Nick Coffee with You. What continues to amaze me is just how quickly sports betting exploded in the United States, where not that long ago, talking about sports betting in any way was just looked at as something that is just it's wrong, it's bad.
Speaker 3: It was only Vegas.
Speaker 1: There would just be vague comments about well, they would just refer to sports betting as just the boys in Vegas and things like that. Well, now there are many states, in fact the majority of the states out there, that allow you to bet on sports legally. In fact, you now watch sports on a network that is owned by one of the big sports books, right Fandel sports Books. They acquired all of those regional bally sports to where it's just you know, not only is it now more socially acceptable. And I'm I'm I love betting on I love donating money to sportsbooks. I'm actually pretty good at it too when I think about it, so I'm very much pro sports betting. It's just wild how quickly it went from being something that was viewed as a big no no and just something that would never would never happen, and now it's it's pretty much everywhere, and it's directly on your face. It's tied into sports. And the reason I bring this up is because we are seeing these sports books take action and ban betters for certain things, and that probably shouldn't be a surprise in the grand scheme of things. You can get banned from different sports books for a variety of reasons. Sometimes maybe you're just winning too much. I say that sarcastically, but you know, it wouldn't shock me if if you've got a real good run going and they say, oh, yeah, we're gonna need a once you send those forms, send us a few more different forms for to confirm your identity. We need to make sure that it's really you, and then they put a pause or a hold on your account and whatnot. So those type of things happen. They're going to clearly be really strict about that kind of stuff. But they're now betting. They're now banning certain betters for harassment. So Gabby Thomas recently was heckled at an event, and Fandel saw a video of the fan who was there, I guess, bragging that maybe his heckling of her leading to her not winning a race. That helped him win his parlay, So FanDuel is banned and all on better after he posted a video again heckling Olympic gold medalist Gabby Thomas. This is at the Grand Slam Track event in Philadelphia last weekend, and in the video you can hear him claiming that, you know, he's rooting for the person who actually on the race and not her. He also makes reference to it it helped him win his parlay. But this guy's defending himself and I'm gonna read here a statement from ESPN. This is actually from Fandel.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: Vandal condemns in the strongest terms, abusive behavior directed towards athletes, threatening, harassing athletes is unacceptable and has no place in sports. This customer is no longer able to wager with Fandel. This is the response from said Heckler. This is somebody who goes by mister one hundred k a day on X that's his Twitter handle. I don't know his actual legal name, but he posted the video and says I made Gabby LuSE on X by heckling her, and it made won my parlay. He then goes on to say that basically, instead of trying to read what he put together in his tweet that really doesn't make a lot of sense, and the grammar's terrible. Is that all he was doing was heckling somebody at a sporting event. That happens often where everybody is too sensitive. He didn't really cross the line. He shouldn't be banned, And I don't think this guy's going to really get a lot of sympathy from folks showing up and just yelling at athletes. But he is right about that not being an uncommon thing. I think had he done that and not made reference to the fact that he made a wager and won, I don't know if it gets any attention at all.
Speaker 3: Right, No, again, I don't have any sympathy for him, but.
Speaker 1: Like he may be to a point, he may make a good point that what he did is actually pretty standard in sports.
Speaker 3: He just was able to make some money on it and he let people know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And like you said, heckling has been going on since the beginning of time at sports, and it happens, and I've been with my son at plenty of sporting events. When I do like about some of these venues now is that they've got that, you know, text idiot to six five, four to seven. I've seen some of the backyard footage of how they monitor those folks, and I'm okay with heckling.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: But if I have my son there and he's younger, and you're starting screaming obscenities and you start to get a little annoying, right, I can't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: The issue is that most understand and know the line of being a little too too much because there are kids around and you shouldn't. You should also just not be a bad human being, though, But there's always a few that either don't know the line don't care about it, and that's when you have to you know, that's when these kind of things happen. You got to have somebody come over and tell them they got to leave.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So yeah, heckling is part of sports. But again there's that line that I think most know, but I guess some don't. All right, we got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. Also another update on sports with Scott right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John at Is six thirty five here Kentucky Anda's Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas. Hopefully your Thursday morning is off to a good start. I can only speak for myself, but I'm having a good start to my Thursday. We've got Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden and John Shann and the entire crew is here and obviously a big talking point, and we will talk a little bit later on with the gim of Brody O'Neal of NBC News. But the big beautiful Bill that of course has been a big talking point for good reason. And the bromance between Elon Musk and Donald Trump looks like that that didn't last entirely too long and should that be considered a big surprise. And I'm looking at this just in this current conversation, mostly just from the fact that those are guys that are very very confident in themselves, very strong minded. Clearly both have have their own egos and sometimes that can work out, and sometimes it's just you know, you probably could have seen this coming, right.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, you nailed it with the ego. I think it's a big ego thing and there.
Speaker 1: And everybody has an ego to an extent, and then there's people that are in, you know, the positions that these guys are in.
Speaker 2: Well, both have been very powerful. Make no mistake, President Donald Trump. If you go back to his days, he's a financier. I still hold it against him for the USFL. I love the USFL when it was back because that was a Michigan panis.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and he blew that up for me. So no, I was. But he'll be dead to you since right exactly, bro exactly.
Speaker 2: So, but you take that and then you take Elon Musk, who look what he did with Twitter. You know, when he first took over Twitter, people are like, what's this guy doing?
Speaker 3: What? What is he got going on?
Speaker 2: And he came in like a bull in the China shop and just kind of, you know, you know, just laid laid fire to it, sure and redid it. So you get when you have egos that are that strong, then you're gonna have some butting of heads. There's like this this they both share common interest. But then after the dust settles and you kind of get used to each other, there's that competitiveness that lies within. You basically have two alpha males that are going head to head and you're going to see the results you have. So this outcome, what you're talking about here does not surprise me at all between the two. I was kind of waiting for it to happen, to be honest.
Speaker 1: With yesterday, the platform that Elon Musk now owns formerly Twitter and now X says, call your senator, call your congressman. Bankrupting America is not okay. It's not okay. Kill the bill. And then of course that's the play on the Quentin Tarantio movie Kill Bill, Volume one, and he's he's going to be outspoken on things he wants to, you know, share his thoughts on that's kind of his style. But you know, these two guys, it wasn't that long ago that it looked like again the bromance was was was in full effect. But obviously that that is that has changed since then.
Speaker 2: Neither can help the competitive nature of the two and to try, and I'm sure it would be funny kind of be a fly in the wall on some of the private discussions they had that were sort of off the wall that you know, when they when the two could actually have a heart to heart. How many times did Elon go, hey, President Trump, that's kind of the wrong way to go, or President Trump say the same thing, go Elon, I'm running the show here.
Speaker 1: I know it's right, and you really never know how it's going to go till you find yourself in one of those types of situations with two people like this, and I think, now we know, now we know. What did you think of the future of Twitter which became X once it became Elon Musk's platform.
Speaker 3: So I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice a big difference. People were going crazy over it, and I like X.
Speaker 1: I like Twitter, so I think it is one of the I mean, it's the people who aren't on it never think about it. It's not part of their of their experience. When they pick up their phone to kill some time, they're usually mostly gonna. I guess it depends on depends upon age. I suppose obviously, Facebook and Instagram and TikTok. Of course, those are social platforms that are much more popular, and the time spent on each experience each time you open the app is much longer. But Twitter has an audience where it's a constant, and it's one of the last remaining platforms that I can think of where you truly can get a minute by minute timeline thread. They're not building an algorithm that shows you, I mean, you can actually click on for you within Twitter, and it'll give you a thread that is not time sensitive. It's just specific things that they think you've picked up that they assume you want to see. Basically, that's the algorithm side of it. But then you can also just go timeline of people you follow, and it's a great it's a great resource for just it's a one stop shop when it comes to just finding different outlets that report news, when it comes to just preparing for things to talk about. It's it's of great use for me maybe more than anything, but as far as engagement interaction, I mean, it's a toxic wasteland. It is, I mean it is. It is where you can find, I believe, at times, the scum society. And you can find that a lot on the Internet if you look hard enough, in a lot of different places. But Twitter, it's just it's become you know, I don't use it much at all for interaction anymore, but it's still a great resource when it comes to just you know, finding information.
Speaker 3: But then again, now you don't know what's real and what's not.
Speaker 2: I mean you don't, and there's some personal responsibility and like I gave up Facebook going on pretty much almost seven eight years ago now, because it just was nothing but people complaining and I don't even I couldn't tell you what's on there. But to your point, I'm TikTok Now, I hands down spend more time on TikTok because there's some wonderful content on there.
Speaker 3: I doubt this has changed.
Speaker 1: It's probably only gotten better for TikTok now that I think about it. But I don't know if people realize how big of a deal it was once TikTok became the app that people spend the most amount of time on in that in that realm of like social media, which I'm not even really sure if you could call that TikTok. But people now when they open up TikTok, they're on that app longer than they're on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Guilty and guilty, Yeah, it's it's tough. Guilty.
Speaker 1: Yeahtuff are We got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here on news Radio eight forty whas. It is six forty six here at Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. A story that you will certainly hear about on the national level today, and I get why it's a story and it'll be included in news just because of the nature of who we're talking about. But one of the Obama's daughters, Malia Obama, she is she's now no longer going to go by her last name, and her parents are both supportive of her, and this will be positioned in a variety of ways. As far as however, people want to, you know, discuss it, and that's not really what I want to talk about. What I want to talk about, though, is if you were somebody that that is, that has a last name that is very noticeable, and not even just the last name you're people recognize you because you know you used to be I mean, you didn't used to be your father used to be the president.
Speaker 3: He's still your father.
Speaker 1: But I could see how, depending upon your personality, there'd be some that would like to not necessarily hide from who they are, but they just wouldn't want the spotlight that comes with that, not because they're embarrassed of their family, not because there's any type of fallout, which that does happen from time to time. But there are benefits, perks for sure to be born into a family of fame, fortune and success, but there's also got to be some downsides to it, and you know, finding that balance is it's got to be tough.
Speaker 3: But I think it really just.
Speaker 1: Comes down to do you are you somebody who will embrace it and consider it something that is just a privilege, or do you at times want to get you know, you want to be.
Speaker 3: Your own person?
Speaker 1: Do you want to be able to live life knowing that everything that came your way had nothing to do with anything other than just you, Because it's almost impossible if, in fact, it's such a public thing that you are the daughter the son of such and such.
Speaker 2: Well, for Maleiah, it's almost a double edged sword because not only does she she's probably concerned about what you just talked about and she wants to make it on her own and be Maliah Maliah. But yeah, the same token, I'm sure there's probably some people out there that throw side comments at her. Oh of course aggressively. Yeah, they just tell her how much they didn't like her father.
Speaker 1: And it's not even about like the ability to not engage with those people because I would assume by now you're well aware of what comes with your father being the former president. I mean, it's it's so, but you just don't. You just don't want to walk into it, right like, you know. So she got started in film, that's her career. Her first project was released, I believe last year, and she took off her last name when it comes to the credits, and that's that's sort of I guess where this conversation got going. But this is not the best comparison maybe, but being Lebron James's son would be awesome in some ways and it would suck in ways. I Mean, what I did find rich about that was that you know, Lebron.
Speaker 3: And I don't. I see both sides of this, because I.
Speaker 1: Think one, to give your son your name is it can be a beautiful thing, because you know, especially if it's and I don't think that's the case here, but especially if it's a name that has been handed down. I mean, we're talking to John william ald in the third here, who's producing the show?
Speaker 3: Is that right? That is true? So you know, so I get that.
Speaker 1: In fact, my wife ever was we had another son and she wanted to do that. I mean, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. So but also when you name your son Lebron James Junior, or Lebron James the second, whatever it is, I mean, it's hard. You know, he's clearly gonna be like, that's unavoidable. It's unavoidable. Now again, when he had his son, Bronnie, who's now in the NBA, did he know Did he know at the time that he would be the superstar that he is?
Speaker 3: Deady?
Speaker 1: Meeting his father tough to say, but you know there are there would be some more. There would be more that comes with that on the negative side than I think a lot of people would truly realize, because even if you did, like even if Bronnie James was in fact really good at basketball, which he is better than most, but as far as being an actual NBA player, I certainly don't see it. But even if he was substantially better, there would always be the well, I mean, he's Lebron's kid, well, and you would know that, no matter how great you are, you'll never be as good as your dad, because most there's a good chance nobody else is.
Speaker 3: Well in Malia's case too.
Speaker 2: You know, you have people sometimes famous people go into medical like her medical records. They oh, it's Malia Obama. I'm not gonna look, but let me take a look.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So there's that side of it too, So I totally get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way, and also another update of sports with Scott right here on Sports.
Speaker 3: Almost did It on news Radio a w h A S