Speaker 1: We've got faulty fuel switches, a dead passenger, naked passenger, and a bunch of bees. It sounds like tearing the skies to me.
Speaker 2: Bike you Zero Nior, you're Glad Roger, Get off my plane? Proger Rogers? What's our vector?
Speaker 1: Victor?
Speaker 2: Enough is enough? I haven't had it with these mufty plane snakes. On this money, it's Gary and Shannon's terror in the skies. On KFI, we will start with the series.
Speaker 1: Air India crash investigation continues, and now it's prompted inspections of Boeing fuel switches and this is really terrifying stuff. Regulators there in India and South Korea have ordered inspections of the fuel control switches on Boeings. And I don't know why this is limited to India and South Korea. It's the same Boeings. I mean, shouldn't they all be checked out. There was a report on the deadly Air India crash, the one that just kind of fell out of the sky with that one soul survivor. It showed that the fuel supply had been cut. Indian investigators did not draw any final conclusions about the cause or who was responsible for the crash of Flight one seventy one back in June, but it did appear to rule out mechanical failure or design flaws, and the focus was narrowed to the fuel switches on the Boeing seven eight seven Dreamliner.
Speaker 2: The most striking.
Speaker 1: Finding was that the two fuel control switches had been switched off seconds after takeoff. Now, each switch is equipped with a locking mechanism to prevent any sort of accidental movement, so it won't just switch off if the wind blows. Experts suggest it was unlikely these switches were moved without human involvement. They believe to take out double negatives there. The experts believe there was a human involved was switching off the fuel switch. The preliminary report said that Air India had not carried out the suggested inspections because they were not mandatory and that the FAA had not viewed the concerns about the locking feature is serious enough to be considered unsafe. Again, if the locking feature doesn't work, there's no way that those switches are going to be moved anyway. They're just too firmly set in whatever position they're in. Maybe was the thinking, but the recommendation from the FAA back in twenty eighteen recommended that carriers using these boeings look at that locking mechanism so that they could not be moved. That was in twenty eighteen, and then, like I said, they did not do that because it wasn't a mandatory. Tay, take a look at this. I kind of think when it comes from the FAA, take a look at the fuel switch, it should be mandatory. Pretty much everything on the giant tins that fly us through the air at thirty five thousand, I think it should all be mandatory. And I obviously know not what I speak in terms of aircraft or flying aircraft and what that would entail. Probably impossible, as pilots will tell you, there's a lot of holes in those planes that you don't even know about. They're probably just fine in most cases. Singapore's Civil Aviation Authority says it's working with airlines on the inspections and they've checked out fuel switches. They've checked out fuel switches that the inspection company it's called SCOOT there in Singapore, that they have all looked and everything's functioning properly. The preliminary report on the crash described a confused interaction between the pilots about the interrupted fuel supply. This goes back to Nathan Fielders the rehearsal current season. His premise on that HBO show if you haven't watched it, is that a lot of these catastrophic crashes, and how could they not be a lot of them can be traced back by the communication or the lack thereof between pilots, and a lot of that can be described by the airline Industri's edict that if you've got problems, you don't bring them up. You just sit in your problems. You go to one counseling session and the airline industry finds out about it, you're grounded, probably for life.
Speaker 2: Just don't deal with any of that.
Speaker 1: We don't deal in that same with medical problems. They have no zero tolerance essentially for any of that. And he also highlights how the pilots and the co pilots often meet that day.
Speaker 2: They don't interact.
Speaker 1: They may go to the pilot's room, but they have their cup of coffee separately, no small talk.
Speaker 2: So with this particular crash.
Speaker 1: And the confused interaction between the pilots, it apparently went like this in the cockpit voice recording, One of the pilots is heard asking the other why he did Why did he cut off the fuel. The other pilot responded that he did not do so. About ten seconds later, the switches were turned back on, but the plane could not regain power quickly enough to stop its descent. The report said there are no recommended actions to the aircraft and engine manufacturers. This was the plane, if you don't remember, crash into that dining hall of the medical college before exploding. Two hundred and sixty people killed in the crash. It looked like it was taking it was taking off, and all of a sudden just failed to achieve any sort of elevation and crash into that medical building. Nineteen people on the ground were killed as well, and there was that one soul survivor. I thought we would hear more about him in the ensuing weeks and months. Is he just going to turn up on Dancing with the Stars next year and we're going to be like, who is that? All?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 1: That was the guy that walked herway from that plane crash. But troubling in that the cockpit interaction is troubling the fact that the fuel switches were not checked out because it wasn't a mandatory thing to check out is troubling. The fact that they say that they could not have been moved without human involvement is troubling.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know where the fuel switches land on a plane like this, Like are they inside, are they on the.
Speaker 2: Outside of the fuselage? How does it work?
Speaker 1: I have no idea, but it seems like several problems we're at play there.
Speaker 2: But we continue with tear in the skies and we have a death to talk about, guys.
Speaker 1: A passenger died on a Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul to San Francisco over the weekend, causing the flight to.
Speaker 2: Divert to Chicago.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, there was a medical emergency on board. Aircraft entered a holding pattern. Flight attendants administered CPR, consulted medical personnel on the ground, and unfortunately the passenger did not make it. The cause of the medical emergency was not disclosed. I had this happen, well, I don't know if the guy died, and I'll never know. It's just one of those things. But it was a flight, gosh, I don't even remember where we were coming from, somewhere in Europe, headed back and all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Look up.
Speaker 1: We were in the last row of the aircraft, right next to the bathrooms. Super super econ I like to call it. It's super economy. When you're the last row, your chair doesn't tilt back. On an international flight, you know you're on board for twelve hours, but your chair doesn't tilt back. We probably got those tickets for about one hundred and fifty dollars apiece. I mean it was awful. I mean you're just sitting there smelling the economy bathroom the whole time.
Speaker 2: It was truly awful. I think it was the last flight my husband booked, and.
Speaker 1: This was years ago, but anyway, we're back there and all of a sudden, I remember looking at mid flight and seeing the flight attendant running down the aisle towards us, towards the back of the plane. And if you've ever seen a flight attendant running, that evokes a certain type of terror in you as an airline passenger, current airline passenger like o f because usually they're so cool, right, they're so calm and collected, and she's running and I'm like, oh man, and she's fidgeting in the back galley with something that's right behind us, and then she's running back to the front of the plane.
Speaker 2: What the hell's going on?
Speaker 1: And her face was just you know, stressed, just pure stress. And then uh, there was a guy that they have on one of those little it's like a airline wheelchair and they're wheel in the back. It's very tiny. I don't know who fits in those things anymore. He was European, he fit. But this guy, he was middle aged, I would say, I don't know, fifty to fifty five. And he's white as a as a ghost, white hair, and he's got blood on his face and he just looks like he's in shock or something. I don't it look like a medical emergency. When they say, that's exactly what I look like. And they bring him to the back and again it's right behind us, this galley and it's a very small galley, and they lay him down and they're doing some sort of and I'm just like, oh my god, this freaking guy dies, Oh my gosh. Of course, making it about me, but they all of a sudden, the plane takes a sharp left and descends real quick, and the pilot comes out and he says, you know, we're gonna make an emergency landing. We've got a medical emergency on board. And I just remember landing and I saw no runway. I just saw a field of snow. I just just snow, looking at the flight map on the on the back seat monitor and somewhere in rural Canada. Uh, no idea, no idea at all. But when we landed, saw nothing but snow, and then an ambulance that had rolled up and the guy was taken using that little airplane wheelchair through the aisle and off the flight. You don't know if the guy ever lived or died. You hope he lived, but for them to land a plane like that and them not be dead is a situation.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, We've got another story for you where plane passengers were very upset over a couple's disrespectful PDA act. Some people, they have their bugaboos when it comes to flying. Right, you want an aisle seat, but sometimes you don't get choose who you're you're sitting next to. And unfortunately for this girl who loves an aisle seat, she sat next to a couple who they say on TikTok took PDA to a next level. It was a four hour flight and Apparently the woman is sitting on our male partner's lap with her feet on her seat and she's just kind of stretched with her back on his legs kind of arched back up and he's just kind of leaning over, and you know they're they're clearly in love. And that's what people were responding to on TikTok, where others were saying, this is unacceptable. This is a four hour flight, Like, get your feet off the seat and sit up, and why are you engaging in PDA? Other people said everyone's hating, but I only see a couple in love. She's getting comfy on the flight. She's a tiny little girl, she's a tiny thing, tiny woman, and she's a lounge in on her partner's lap.
Speaker 2: There the feet, the feet are a problem.
Speaker 1: The feet were kind of pointed at the other passenger who was sitting in the aisles.
Speaker 2: I think that's where the problem was.
Speaker 1: And then the massive swarm of bees. A flight in India delayed for more than an hour after bees swarmed the door of the aircraft. And you can see a picture of this before it took off. It's online obviously, and it was set to make a quick flight in India. But the baggage handlers were loading suitcases into the aircraft. All of a sudden, They say it was bombarded by a biblical plague of stinging bees. And that's exactly what it is. According to this the entire door is covered in bees. I don't know how. It's like candy Man. You ever see that movie from the early nineties.
Speaker 2: It's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: It's candy Man on the door of this plane. Now, how it left without incident and how nobody got stung without incident, I do not know.
Speaker 2: But it delayed the flight about an hour.