Speaker 1: Will you wait, miss Welcome back to another midnight viewing Noise Junkies crossover. My god, it's becoming a trend. Welcome back, mister HP, composer of the weirding Way Media Network and certainly a frequent collaborator here, host of Noise Junkies, host of Night, mister Walters, and my good pal he's a music man by trade, mister HP. How are you, sir?
Speaker 2: I couldn't be more thrilled. I feel like I say this every time follom alone, but this is I'm so excited. This is such a such an awesome movie for us to dig into, so excited.
Speaker 1: We certainly seem to be going down the list of childhood musical related films. Last we did Sergeant Pepper before, and that was a cable box theater one. But here's this one's going out to everybody. Yeah, of course it is anyway, the movie we're talking about this time, Directed by Walter Hill, written by John Fusco, starring Joe Seneca, Jamie Gertz, Ralph Mancio and Steve I and Joe Martin. It's Crossroads, not to the Britney Spears movie.
Speaker 3: There's a place where deals are made and legends are born. And there was a kid they called Lightning Boy. He was searching for the lost song. You could be the first man to record it for a piece of fame and fortune.
Speaker 1: Like Clapton did with Crossrooms, Rolling Stones did it with love and van.
Speaker 3: And he was looking to get him there.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Bruceville, Son. This is a real thing to say.
Speaker 5: No, Lighting Boy and blind What the hell are you guys supposed to be?
Speaker 2: I'm a bluesman.
Speaker 4: He's from Long Island.
Speaker 1: Oh and he's the Mississippi Street.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to roll.
Speaker 4: You need a lot more than that, you know.
Speaker 6: The owner walked up to will We did three one hundred dollars dolls and says you're.
Speaker 1: Barking play only one blues man in town to night?
Speaker 5: Who was met?
Speaker 3: I choke you, dude, and you get knocked on your There's a place where deals are made.
Speaker 1: And you made your deal with the Crossroads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I made a deal.
Speaker 1: Oh I get you want some kind of contest.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 3: Where a thin line separates the good? I'm giving you all the magic I got from the Great Woo Brown cent Eugene Morton is ready to cross it.
Speaker 1: HP. Yes, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this was not your first time seeing Crossroads.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, this was. This would have been nineteen eighty six. This was a big cable movie. I didn't see this one in the theater, so I saw it probably dozens of times in its day, but since then I've rewatched it many times. This was a real formative film for me in becoming a guitar player. I honestly this. I'm not ashamed to say that this probably inspired me to pick up the guitar and start taking lessons.
Speaker 1: Oh I had thought you had already been playing guitar by the time you had seen this movie.
Speaker 2: No, because that would have been about thirteen when this movie came out, or thereabouts. I probably look I might have started taking lessons right around the time. But certainly this was something between this and I would say, in a funny way, back to the future, seeing Martin fly up there at the Enchantment, under Sea Dance playing Johnny b Good, cheesy as hell. I'm a kid of the suburbs, but these things got me excited to learn how to play guitar. And you could do a lot worse than see Steve I up there as Jack Butler doing his thing, but we'll talk about him momentarily.
Speaker 1: Indeed, we will. You know what, We're gonna dive right into this movie. But the nominal plot, such as it is, finds Ralph Manteo, a student of Juilliard in New York City who is become obsessed with the blues, and more importantly obsessed with the legend of Robert Johnson, the famous bluesman who was purported to have gone to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil in order to play the guitar better than anyone on earth, and then gave us twenty nine songs, but they were supposed to be thirty. Eugene, Ralph Macchio's character thinks he's found a guy who knew Robert Johnson was his harmonica player, Willie Brown, in a nursing home right there in the heart of Manhattan. He's trying to get that song. It's a tantalizing premise.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's funny because this was really Ralf Macchio's second sort of apprentice type movies. He obviously the Karate Kid just before this. While he was making this and taking guitar lessons, he was also taking karate lessons for the upcoming at that point, Karate Kid Part two, So his days were pretty full and he was I believe he was twenty five at the time, playing seventeen years old in this movie and doing a great job of it.
Speaker 1: He's a good actor. I mean, I certainly think he's good in the role. I don't know he's pulling off seventeen.
Speaker 2: I think he is. There's a confidence and an awkwardness. I think he's obviously he lets that shine a little more in Karate Kid because he's firmly a high school kid there. But I think in this he's supposed to be a guitar prodigy, a classical guitar prodigy. By the way, did you happen to see one of our favorite actors in a little cameo as his guitar teacher, Helen Arbus He was on Mash. He's like an Alan Alda type who he was in Mash. He was Carlos Navarone's manager in the taxi episode.
Speaker 1: Where they That's where I know I'm from.
Speaker 2: He's mister sensitivity. He didn't have his mustache. That's the only thing. That's why I didn't notice it at first, But.
Speaker 1: The thing is HB. I'm conversant in mash but I really did not watch that show.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, but I just he I guess I'm just such a fan of Alan Arbus and it's a delight when I see him pop up on My only problem with him here is he has a very ill advised accent that was totally unnecessary for it, doing my guitar teacher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing like a Brahm and upper krusty snow.
Speaker 2: I thought it was more like an Eastern European kind of as if maybe he was Russian or something. That's what I got out of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought he was doing an impression of William Daniels, the voice of Kit.
Speaker 2: Not at all, Not at all, but but not. I really love Ralph Macchio in this. I like everybody in this really, there's I can't point to. There's only one aspect of his performance that bugs me even now after all these years. And there's a few geeky guitar type things.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, boy, we're gonna disagree fundamentally about a lot of things in this movie.
Speaker 2: It seems we might, we just might.
Speaker 1: This is a Walter Hill film. I don't think there's any better action director at that time. I think there are better action directors now. I certainly think action films have come up to his level in some regards, but none will ever come up to the level of macho masculinity that Walter Hill was always striving for. And of course he's just trying to get up to the level of Sam Peckinpah, which I don't think he ever quite achieved. But man, he tried really hard, and in some cases that meant stepping away from action and doing a movie like this, which he's the perfect guy to do it. And I don't really see the downside to his direction here at all.
Speaker 2: I don't either. The remarkable thing for me, and doing more research on this is I did not realize that this was an R rated movie, and for the life of me, Father Malone, I can't figure out on what basis it was rated.
Speaker 1: Are they say fuck a lot?
Speaker 2: I guess they do. It just seems rather tame compared to what you can do nowadays. But it's certainly not a violent movie. It's not sexually explicit, but I guess for on the basis of language alone, I guess I could see that, but it seems a little unfair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. It's not like anyone was going to be damaged by watching this mild tale of a boy checking or rescuing an old man from a nursing home and helping him get back to his home before he dies, or possibly preventing that.
Speaker 2: But I think if we're gonna dig into this I think the first thing we need to talk about is, let's talk about the screenwriter, John Fussco.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know I'm gonna call him. Let's go fuse go is probably.
Speaker 1: I'm going I continue to call him Feusco. If I'm wrong, I apologize, mister Fusco.
Speaker 2: And I apologize. I apologize, right So let Fusco now this he was enrolled at was at NYU. He was He was on the screenwriting track at NYU, and this was his master's thesis, this screenplay. Now he was. He was a blues musician. He was somebody who I think he played guitar, and from what I have read, he was told by his doctor that he had to take some time off from singing because he had damaged his vocal cords or something. And in the meantime, he was taking time off from playing music. And his girlfriend worked at a nursing home and she said there was an old African American fellow there who played harmonica, and this inspired Fusco Fusco, excuse me to start writing this screenplay, and eventually I think he sold it for something like two hundred and fifty grand, which I would guess in eighty six eighty five was that's a lot. There's a lot of money anyway, but it's probably way more about half a million.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a huge sum man.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, father Malone, this is yes, this is really a rhetorical question. What else would we know John Fusco from.
Speaker 1: I know that I certainly know him from Young Guns and Young Guns two in particular. Now, ye, you say the names of those movies and people just brush them off. Soh the Brent Packwestern AHAs, and that's silly, is not fun. They're trying to play cowboys and shit right, And I to a degree, I agree with that for the first film, because it does feel a little stunt castie. Look at all these young studs out there riding and roping and on the range. The second film, however, which is the actual story of Billy the Kid, and Pat Garrett is my favorite cinematic interpretation of their story, and I am fully aware of Peck and Pom's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid's existence. I've seen it in the theater. I've seen the extended cut. I love the movie. I listened to the soundtrack just the other day. Young Guns two is a better presentation of that story between those two guys, and John Fusco's script is the fucking reason why it is so well researched. It throws off a historical fact with a plome like. It's very economical, giving you all the facts of those two guys' lives while never ceasing to be a rip roaring, fucking action movie. It's the rarest of films.
Speaker 2: I love Young Guns too, Love. I enjoyed the first one, but like you, I fucking loved the second one. I saw it in the theater. I'm I'm no student of Western cinema. I will admit that, so I'm sure that there's probably it's somewhat derivative of other movies that came before it. But to your point, I think it's so economically written, and it's for it being another in this sort of brat pack type Western movies you had the balls to have they all died. They it would have been so easy for them to set it up for another sequel because these stars were all hot. They could have probably made another few of these movies. But yet everyone died. They're not presented glamorously at all. It's a fantastic But we're not here to talk about young guns too. But I am here to say.
Speaker 1: We're talking about John Fiusco and this is one of his things, So I.
Speaker 2: Love it, So I'm you know, I'm a fan of his work, and I was surprised when I don't remember when I learned this, but to learn that he wrote Crossroads, which is one of my all time favorites. In addition, was really cool to learn.
Speaker 1: And what it is a really good script. I have some problems with it. It feels a bit like a first screenplay to me, but I do love when you hear someone's master's thesis goes immediately to film. The other one that immediately springs to mind is what's his name? Gregory Widen was the name of that screenwriter and then, which is funny because he had been a firefighter and would eventually write the screenplay for backdraft. You would think that would have been his lead.
Speaker 2: Off back because that's what he knows best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you know, it is No, I think my first greenplay will be about immortals fighting with swords in New York City in the modern times.
Speaker 2: And yet that's what will That's what is, That's what he's best known for. That is what has given him that cult status. Right, they're even still talking about remaking Highlander even now forty years later. It could be a very good thing and a very bad thing. We'll have to say.
Speaker 1: I'm cautiously optimistic. Henry Cavill as the Highlander. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's got I like Henry Cavill because he feels like a geek that was just born into this Adonnis type body. I think his heart's in the right place, I think.
Speaker 1: And we'll finally hear Connor MacLeod do a proper Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: If I'm looking at this movie with a bit more of a critical eye towards theme, one could look at this and see this as an example of just some white kid who's got to come in and be the savior for an African American and need I don't subscribe to that point of view. I think it's just a good story. But I could see somebody looking at this saying, yeah, maybe not the best look. But if no other reason, this was made in nineteen eighty five, eighty six. I think I'm going to give it a pass. I'm not about to cancel this because I think maybe thematically there's some hinky stuff to our modern day eyes. But I just had to put that out there because it is something that you could probably dig into if you wanted to.
Speaker 1: Here's the last thing I'll say about John Fisco. He had a movie in twenty nineteen called The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, about these two Texas Rangers who are hunting down Bonnie and Clyde, which is also really great. So everyone checked that out. Now to the white savior point you were making, Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw this movie. I saw this movie in the theater, by the way, because I mentioned it. Walter Hill is one of my all time favorite filmmakers. Walter Hill directed The Warriors, he directed Forty eight Hours, he directed he'd eventually direct Deadwood when that came out. He did another forty eight hours. That's a great one too. No it's not, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he is a favorite of mine, and of course any new film of his I was going to go see, so it was definitely involved in this. Now, okay, you know what, let's before we head further into this, let's just talk about the music for a moment, because the music in this film nominally is composed by Ry Cooter, and he is a frequent Walter Hill collaborator, starting back in nineteen eighty I think was Southern Comfort and everything up until I want to say maybe Geronimo. He did all of his scores. Now, Ry Cooter is a legendary Los Angeles session musician and a renowned bluesman. I think the first album of his I bought was The Slide Area. It's from nineteen eighty one, which is all pedal steel and very reminiscent of what we're going to get here. Of course, I wouldn't have known to go buy any of his stuff until after this movie came out, But I think this movie is what sort of cemented in my mind that this is his musician. This is Walter Hill's guide to go to guy and to look further into him. Fine, when we'll get to raycot fun before that, would you or would you not agree that the majority of white suburban America's introduction to the blues are thanks to mister Dan Ackroyd and John Belugi.
Speaker 2: Unquestionably, we were indoctrinated when we were so young, father Malone, watching The Blues Brothers the movie. So many great R and B and blues musicians in that and we didn't know it wasn't I didn't know who Ray Charles or James Brown or any of these people.
Speaker 1: Were, or John Lee Hooker or John.
Speaker 2: Lee Hooker is He's the best example. He's somebody I mean who I mean. At least James Brown was known as this towering R and B figure, But John Lee Hooker was always on the cusp of just being a bit unknown. But hearing Boogie Chilling on the radio there and seeing him perform in the streets of Chicago.
Speaker 1: I love that talta glad that take it like that?
Speaker 2: How that was certainly my first exposure to the quote unquote real blues and not something that was like white blues appropriated from England in the sixties.
Speaker 1: So there is a current of resurgence of the Blues going on around this time period anyway, And I think if there's a if there's a filmmaker who would have the Wherewithal the ghett a movie made about the Blues, it would be Walter Hill at this time, and also the juice to get it made at this time. Although I'm a little confused because he had just had Streets of Fire, which was a terrible, horrible failure of a film financially. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Crossroads wasn't like the last movie that he made that was a big budget studio movie. I'm looking at his IMDb. He did remember Trespass with Iced t Oh yeah, he did. Johnny Hansome, Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: And you know what what's funny is when you mentioned those movies to me, the first thing that comes to mind is the grinding guitar scores by Ry Cooter.
Speaker 2: Right. I think for me, the last sort of big budget studio picture that I remember him making was probably Last Man Standing, which was that the Bruce Willis. I think it was like a remake of was it.
Speaker 1: First Fistful of Dollars? Yo Jimbo and now Jimbo?
Speaker 2: Yes, But after that, I think he started moving into a little bit more TV. He did still get undisputed with ving Rains and a few other things.
Speaker 1: But you know about that Yo Jimbo thing. Ya Jimbo is an unofficial adaptation of The Glass Key by Dashal Hammett, right, which is a gangster movie. I did not know that gangster novel. Right, So he makes you Jimbo, turns it into a samurai film, and then the Anion Maraconi, not any of Macaroni, fucking what's his name?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Sergiolioni.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so then Sergioleni says, hey, that samurai thing, that would make a good Western and turns it into a Western. And then Walter Hill says, hey, you know that western that'd make a good gangster film.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like a game of telephone where it just keeps getting pulled away from the ear.
Speaker 1: It is because that original book it takes place in like Chicago or something like that. It's just a normal town that this gang war is taking place. And by the time it gets to Waldo Hills, fim, it's like this post apocalyptic like border town where there's nothing but gangsters.
Speaker 2: So Ralph Maccio's guitar coach for this movie was a guy named Arlen Roth. Okay, Arlon Roth, I believe can lay claim to being the first sort of guitar guy who put out a series of like VHS lessons like hot Licks or something. It was called right, So he ostensibly taught Ralf Maccio, if not how to play the music, at least how to mime it as good as he could do it. So it's my understanding. Although obviously ry Cooter is credited as the guy did the soundtrack, it's my understanding that a lot of the slide guitar stuff that you hear, the stuff that Eugene plays throughout the movie, a lot of that, A good portion of that is actually Arlen Roth playing the music. But for some odd reason that I no one ever, no one seems to really know or convey. Arlen Roth's credit on Crossroads is all but xcized. He's not credited anywhere in the music credits. I don't believe he may have a credit somewhere for guitar teacher or something. But I do want to say I want to make sure credit is given where credit is due. I do believe that I'm not going to sit here and say that Arlon Roth did everything, but I think he did a lot more that he's credited for doing, which is zero. So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: Do we have any idea of what particularly is his in the film or on the soundtral.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, that's the thing. It's it all. We don't, and I don't. Frankly, I don't know enough about either man's style to be able to go, oh, that's definitely ry Cooter and that's definitely Arlen Roth. But I do know that Arlin Roth was on set. He was, like I said, he was Ralph Macchio's guitar coach for the duration of the picture, and for some reason he wasn't given credit, and I don't really don't know why. He doesn't seem to know why either.
Speaker 1: In interviews, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head any differentiations between guitarists and styles. But I could tell you when ry Cooter is playing, I know his style at least that well. Man has thirty albums and I have too many of them.
Speaker 2: He's a legend. He played on probably one of my favorite Monkeys tracks, which is off of the album head. It's called as We Go All Along it's not he's not necessarily like doing a showy solo, but he's part of that track. He's part of the vibe, and I think it's an amazing song and his playing is wonderful.
Speaker 5: Oh give up your secrets, let down, He's sit with me.
Speaker 1: There has to be a movie made about the sixties session musicians in Los Angeles, maybe a TV series on Netflix.
Speaker 2: There's all sorts of because these are musicians that really didn't get much credit. I know there was a Wrecking Crew documentary, and there was a documentary about the session musicians from the seventies that played on, like James Taylor and all these other Linda Ronstadt, So there must be some sort of fictionalized take on that would be really interesting. I would see it.
Speaker 1: Me too, man, I'd watch the fuck out of that, just like I would watch Crossroads anytime.
Speaker 2: That's right, I would too. So that the music's pretty well covered there. The only what's a little jarring now when you listen to it is there's a lot of Eighties noess, it's blues. You're hearing mostly just blues through the whole picture, but it's that eighties blues with the sort of reverb laden drums, a lot of chorus on the guitars and everything. There's just a sound. There's an ineffable quality to eighties music, including eighties blues music, that is all over this and it if nothing else, it dates this movie immediately.
Speaker 1: It's not exactly the sound of Delta Blues.
Speaker 2: No, not in the but it works because these are really good musicians. Because ry Cooter is amazing. He's a tremendous slide player. So it's a lot of that's forgiven. But yeah, it's it's it's a little dated.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my two cents about the white Savior thing. By the way, Yeah, this character should be black. There's just no question that this should be a young black man who in the middle of the nineteen eighties when popular culture everything was R and B and or hip hop. To have a young black character like going back through his roots even though he's Okay, Now, that makes it even trickier because my other problem can be found at the end of the movie during the cut and head sequence. Yeah, and so maybe we'll revisit this particular topic, the white savior topic, because I don't have a problem with white the white savior. It doesn't have to be a white savior. It can be just an interested character who is a total outsider, and the outsider helps facilitate the thing from the community that he's not part of. That's fine by me.
Speaker 2: But to the movie's credit, to Fusco's credit, there's a scene where Eugene they find Eugene is finally exposed Willie Brown for being this legendary blues man, and he has sprung this idea on him that you'll teach me this song and then we'll take it and we'll you know. And one of the things Willy Brown says is he basically says, you're just like every other white guy. You're just going to take the music and you're going to make it, you know, its own thing. I you know. And that's that's true. That's exactly it would be, basically be appropriated by a white guy taking it away. It's cultural appropriation. That's exactly what it is. And at least in that moment, the screenplay seems to be aware of that the danger there.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even allude to it. Like Eugene says, just like clamped in.
Speaker 2: With Crossroads, Yeah, that's what he says, Just.
Speaker 1: Like appen with the Crossroads, I'll be able to and which, by the way, if Willie Brown here is making his point and he does he say no, he just says another white boy, right, But we've already he just white. They've already planted fucking Clapton's name in my mind. And that's all I think when I think of Eric Clapton, when I hear that fucking Crossroad song come on the radio or something, I'm just like, you, fucking thief, you shot the sheriff. Fuck you.
Speaker 2: I'm not such a fan of Clapton anyway.
Speaker 1: He's a racist piece of shit.
Speaker 2: That's exactly why he's a racist. I don't care if he was smacked out and maybe that he said those things. There's no going back from that.
Speaker 1: And I and he said those things multiple times on multiple okays. Oh it was the drink talking. It was the drugs talking. It was him talking. I've never been so drunk that I've suddenly become a racist.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, to be honest. Like his music, I was never that thrilled by it, just on a on a musical level, put aside all the other stuff. I just I never really got the Clapton god stuff. Maybe I'm just willfully ignorant of the man's place in music. I don't think I am. I think I know a little bit, but it was.
Speaker 1: Never you know what he was at the same time as Jimmy Page and Jimmy Hendrix. Go fuck yourself with worship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Alvin Lead, you could the list goes on. There's a million, Rory Gallagher. The man is the king of the blues and he was an irishman. Get the fuck out of here. There's ways to do it. There's an authentic way to do it, and I'm I don't know how authentic Clapton is ultimately, And now watch all this hate mail is going to come in for you, all these listeners going, what are you talking about? It? Clipton's God.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they'd be wrong, but then we'd both be wrong.
Speaker 2: This is true. Yeah, so he's so. But what one thing I want to a slight correction, and this is important to the story, I think is you had mentioned Eugene Springs Willie Brown from this rest home of this nursing home, but it's really not a nursing home. Father Malone in actual fact is he's basically in prison. He's been in prison for something like twenty years, twenty five years up to that point. We're shooting a man, so it's not necessarily that he's this cuddly. It's not cocoon where he's getting busted out of a nursing home. That the man admitted that he shot someone in the neck. So I like that about this. Willie Brown isn't some saint who's gonna who needs to be rescued from all of this sort of stuff going on. The man shot somebody, will fully shot somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Willie Brown is a fully functioning character, definitely. And yes, obviously I made it seem like it was cocoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he played that up a little bit. When there's that sequence where they actually spring him where Eugene comes.
Speaker 1: And nobody cares.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing. He springs him from this prison, He breaks him out of jail effectively, and I know it's a nursing home, but it's jail, and they proceed to do nothing about it. No one ever tries to find Willy. No one puts out an APB on a kid and an old black man on the run. That's it. Maybe they're just happy that Willy's his hair out of their hair. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's what I liked about that sequence, the utter lack of magnitude of the actual event.
Speaker 2: It's funny because they make their way to this cab that Eugene has left waiting outside, and a cop car starts screaming towards them with lights and sirens blaring, and Eugene freezes because he says to himself, well, this is it. The jig is up, and then the cop cary just proceeds to keep going down the road wherever it's actually going, whatever call it's attending to. They don't care about Willy Brown now.
Speaker 1: So Eugene is springing Willy Brown because he's gonna WILLI. Brown has promised if he gets him out and gets him back down south to Mississippi, he will reveal the thirtieth Missing song from Robert Johnson, and that is just so tantalizing. But speaking of Robert Johnson, let's go back to the opening scene. If we get tu Voc.
Speaker 2: The vulcan is he one of the engineers.
Speaker 1: On no On voyage And here he's Robert Johnson making a deal with the Oh I.
Speaker 2: Thought you were talking about one of the Okay, I was thinking of not Tuvac. Who is the guy who is Spock's brother, Lawrence Luckinbill Lauren.
Speaker 1: Big characters there, Cybock, Cybox, There you go, Spock. What's going on there on Vulcans?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, So he's playing Robert Johnson performing Crossroads at the very beginning of the picture.
Speaker 1: Now we never get to see Robert Johnson interact with the devil. It's just hinted at. And they're going to keep playing at that through a lot of the movie. This Every time we get to one of these flashbacks, it's it's cpa tone haziness, like he's trying to recreate nineteen thirty eight Mississippi in the best way possible. I'm surprised he didn't resort to skipping film and stepping on it and adding scratches to it. I guess he just didn't want to go that far. But I have a question for you. Yeah, I have a music question for you. It's about the debate, the Robert Johnson sped up slowed it down debate.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you're bringing this up, because I was prepared to if you didn't go for it.
Speaker 1: So there is a popular theory that during the recording of Robert Johnson's songs. The machine itself was sped up or sped or under cranked by something like twenty percent. So if you take his songs and speed them up, you get a jauntier version. And the only thing that gives it credence is it sounds good. Either way. It's a little the guitar playing is a little worse in the sped up version. It sounds like he's making mistakes, but it does sound credible. So I to get your take on it, because I have mine. And so there are people who believe that's the case and there are people who don't. And I think, ultimately, whether or not it's true or not, we're still going to continue listening to those original recordings of Robert Johnson.
Speaker 2: Sure from believe I actually I believe that they were recorded slowly. The commonly held theory, one of the commonly held theories is they did that so that they could fit more music on a record, on a seventy eight rpm record, right, So they had the music when recorded sped up so he could fit more. By all accounts, Robert Johnson had a low resonant voice, and anyone who listens to a song like the original Crossroads, it's not. It's almost like a high keening. It's like an upper register. It's hard to really explain. I've heard the YouTube videos of people that have slowed it down by a factor of twenty percent like you describe, and I think it sounds much more. It sounds much more like musical to me. It just sounds less frantic, less ad and noidal, because that's a technique that people used to use to make someone sound younger, like the song Caroline Know by the Beach Boys that was actually sped up a little bit too. They just turned the ips switch up a little bit to make him sound younger. So that's not why they did this to Robert Johnson. But I think when you listen to it slowed down, I think it's a much more credible and listenable performance personally. But what do you think?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're saying that his songs were recorded and then in a kind of post production situation, they were shortened or slowed down or sped up.
Speaker 2: No, I think when they were being recorded, they were recorded at a slightly slower speed, so when you play them back, they play back naturally faster.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they would have to fiddle with the machine itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either deliberately. But it's also probably just as likely that these machines aren't precision calibrated machines. They were being recorded essentially in like a hotel, like in a room. It wasn't like they were in a recording studio per se.
Speaker 1: That machine had been carted there and probably rolled across things and carried upstairs and dropped and who knows.
Speaker 2: So it's also possible that this whole theory that they were trying to fit more music on a record is bullshit. It could just be that the equipment wasn't properly calibrated, or it just recorded slower so when he played it back, they didn't know that. It's not like they're sitting there with a tuning fork saying, oh, this is at four forty hertz. This is perfect because I also have heard that some songs are more likely to be sped up than others, Like it's not a universe versal across this whole catalog. So it's a very mysterious question that you're posing.
Speaker 1: Now. I've heard that the entire catalog of songs was recorded on two machines. The theory is, or at least the counter theory is that it could not have been the machine's fall. It couldn't have been a mistake because the mistake wouldn't have crossed over from machine to machine. It couldn't have glitched twice to twenty percent. However, if they were doing it there on the day to each machine and actually fiddling and making it slower than that theory is plausible.
Speaker 2: Could be I just know for me, actually, after watching Crossroads, I went out and got the same Robert Johnson cassette that Eugene plays in the picture with it's like this sort of cartoonish image of Robert Johnson's back as he's playing. But partly because I don't I just don't think I was. My mind wasn't calibrated to really understand this music. I didn't like it because it just, I don't know, it was a little frantic. It wasn't quite as. It wasn't like I was like Robert Sorry John Lee Hooker. That to me is classic blues, right low voice, nothing but the guitar and his foot tapping, and it took its time. It wasn't frantic, Whereas I found the Robert Johnson stuff a little more hyper to listen back to.
Speaker 1: John Lee Hooker's Burning Hell is the greatest blues album of all time. Ripley agrees with me. She just barked.
Speaker 2: Really, I would agree with you there too. The man is a giant. He lived it.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I fall. I like the idea because it sounds so natural when you listen to the sped up Robert Johnson vocals, and now obviously you're going to listen to them here, folks, here's the original.
Speaker 5: Don Blues.
Speaker 4: And A Day Keep doing on Me, the hell alm trees kill are.
Speaker 1: Killed, Okay, And now here's the sped up version.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm falling down a boo falling down kill.
Speaker 4: And a day Keep on on Me the hell hag almores kill.
Speaker 6: Kill.
Speaker 2: Both are pretty credible, right, But I think the slower one, I think just sounds more natural to me.
Speaker 1: I know, but I'm just so used to the other one that it just sounds like somebody covering crossroads and they just have a they tap their toe a little bit faster.
Speaker 2: If only Bill and Ted went back in time to the Mississippi Delta and they brought Robert Johnson back instead of Beethoven, maybe we'd have an answer to this question.
Speaker 1: Father. That's true. If somebody could check with Ulysses McGill from Oh Brother were Artho. They basically meet Robert Johnson at the end of that movie too out on the Crossroad. He might have the answers there. He didn't sound sped up there, No.
Speaker 2: But I that's I can point to Crossroads as being the thing that kind of I was inspired to seek out Robert Johnson. It just didn't stick because I just couldn't get into the music. I don't know what it was, but the man is I can say just he was an amazing guitar player. I wish I could play slide guitar like he did amazing.
Speaker 1: Do you play slide guitar?
Speaker 2: No, I could never. It's the tricky part about slide guitar, father, alone, is that normally, when you're playing, when you're fretting the notes, you're putting your finger between two frets, whereas with a slide you're only you're resting the slide itself on the upper part of the fret itself, on the piece of fret wire, so not in between the threts, on the thread itself, over the thread itself. I also believe that you have to tune your guitar in what's called open tuning. I think it's open G so that when you lay that slide over the whole of the strings, it plays a chord. Because normally you're making a chord by crunching your fingers in all sorts of interesting ways. But if the whole guitar is tuned to an open G chord, you just lay that. It's easy. You can play any chord anywhere on the fretboard with one finger basically.
Speaker 1: So what's your trouble.
Speaker 2: I just it's hard for me to recalibrate my fingers. I haven't tried it in many years, to be fair, but I just I had trouble recalibrating my brain to play it as opposed to just fretting the notes normally. I don't know. It's just and to be honest, I didn't spend a great of time trying to learn. But it's cool someone who does it well, like ry Cooter. It's an amazing sound.
Speaker 1: By the end of this podcast, you're going to have to play some slide guitar for I.
Speaker 2: Think a lot of people were inspired by this movie to delve into the Blues, and that's probably one of the very good things about this movie, if nothing else.
Speaker 1: I agree any of these nineteen eighties movies that were urging anyone toward any sort of artistic area that they might not have been exposed to. It's it. Look, I'm going to sound real old here, but there was a pre internet time and exposure to any other culture was welcome, even if it was even if it was freighted with a with the white savior like Lawrence of Arabia is just a bunch of white people out there in the desert pretending that they're Bedouins and such. But at least we got to see that culture in some way, you know what I mean. Like it's I don't know, it just feels like we were cut off from the world in a lot of ways. So having this entree into the blues beyond the Blues Brothers, which is a total fantasy, at least, look, this is not in any way reality, but at least we're getting a look at the actual blues people or their lifestyle and what it was like for them. Because we do get vignettes of what it's like being a bluesman on the road in the South kind of should have made this a period piece in like nineteen forty nine.
Speaker 2: Well, the whole legend of Robert Johnson going down to the crossroads and making a deal with the devil. To me, as a thirteen year old kid and probably a lot of people, that's a very for lack of a better word, that's a very alluring tale. That's you, you know, you're drawn to that. That just I remember I heard the same thing about Jimmy Page and led Zeppelin, like they made a deal and you could back they had back masking with devil messages and all this nonsense. I love the fact that this movie takes that legend as its starting point because Robert Johnson was a real person, and that was a real legend surrounding the man that he went down to this crossroads in the Delta and became he sold his soul to the devil. I think that's what a great starting point for kind of a fantasy about this kid going down and helping this old man steal his soul back. I think it's great.
Speaker 1: It's a legend just tailor made for cinematic adaptation. Here's this great music, here's this great legend. All of that happened, by the way, and now you can do whatever we want with it. Also, it wasn't that long ago, so one of our leads can be the contemporary of Robert Johnson. It's crazy to think about this, Like when this movie takes place, it was fifty years prior.
Speaker 2: You think about fifty years ago that was.
Speaker 1: It was seventy five. Man, Yeah, it was like SNL was on the air. It's inane.
Speaker 2: It is when you're a kid, especially, fifty years might as well be one hundred and fifty. But as you and I age, that's we realize that's an eyeblink. That's not long ago at all.
Speaker 1: This would be like breaking dan Ackroyd out of the SNL nursing home to get him to down South where he can be a blues brother. Again, Like it's that's apt. It's crazy, just as far as like how long ago it was, Like you know, there are people seeing this movie who could potentially knew Robert Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. It really wasn't that long ago. The movie makes it feel like it's ages and ages ago because he always goes to that CPA, Like you said, that CPA tone look in the tac piano playing blues chords in the background. But I but by the way, I really like those little interstecial or not interstitials, but I like those little interludes in the movie where you see Willie Brown dealing with the Devil's assistant.
Speaker 1: And it's why are those scenes so good? HB Why are they so?
Speaker 2: I just think they're so they're cinematic. I don't know it just it they feel heightened in a way, and I like that about this. It creates this witchiness, for lack of a better word term, about this whole because mostly this movie takes place in very mundane places, like a flophouse here, or you know, an old barn here. But that's there's the way it's shot too. It's very compelling. The crossroads with the one sort of dead looking tree off to the side and somebody just standing there waiting for the devil to offer them a ride. That's so compelling. That's so cool.
Speaker 1: I have two words why those sequences are so good. Joe Morton ah As.
Speaker 2: He doesn't really have a name, does he.
Speaker 1: He's just the devil Scratches assistant, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: He doesn't He's not Legba or scratch. He's just Scratch his assistant.
Speaker 1: It should just be the devil. It just should be Joe Martin should just be the devil. I'm not saying that I'm disappointed when the devil shows up, because I'm not when Scratch Legma the devil. When he shows up, he's fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: He's great.
Speaker 1: It's a little disconcern that we deal specifically with Joe Morton for the entirety of the thing, and then in the end we get this one guy who we're gonna deal with the battle for and we've only just met him. So even as great as he is, it's yeah, but you're not the guy.
Speaker 2: Joe Morton may as well be the devil, because, like you said, he's the one that really interacts with all these characters. But yeah, it's he's so derisive and dismissive to everyone that he deals with. You would think he would if the Devil's gonna come and try to make a deal for your soul, he's gonna come with honeyed words and all this kind of stuff. But not Scratch his assistant. He basically he calls him like like four.
Speaker 1: Eyes and hey, blam ball, come over here.
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 2: My name Willy Brown. So what you're doing all.
Speaker 1: These gross goods alone? Willy Brown?
Speaker 2: Robert Johnson told me, I can make a deal here, a deal with Like. There's nothing cheery or nic or welcoming about Scratch's assistant. About Joe Morton, he's like a not a nice guy. But what I always thought was really cool is so he goes to Willie Brown goes to the Crossroads as a young man. It's one of those CPS shots, and Joe Morton's character drives up in an old nineteen twenties car or something, and he makes the deal with him. And then when you flash forward and now he's on the crossroads with the Eugene as an old man. Joe Morton comes back, only now because it's the modern day. He's driving a trans am and he's all decked out in modern day. He hasn't aged a day, but he's still keeping up with the contemporary trends and cars and fashion and all that. I love that.
Speaker 1: And props has blacked out the transam logo from the front of the car.
Speaker 2: I noticed, Oh did they do that? It was unmistakable for me, just because I've seen a ton of those and growing up, But no, it's great. I love those sequences at the crossroads. Particularly.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing that I noticed this time watching up the second time in the transam. He has a consort, a petty little she bitch with him. She should have been with him the whole time. She should have shown up with him in the thirties and with pin curls. She should have always been It would have been great.
Speaker 2: I wondered about that too, because she's so prominent during the head cutting scene.
Speaker 1: And that's why I said it, because she's out on the floor. She's basically performing the anti Willie Brown's number on stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she should have been there too, in the era appropriate fashion in the nineteen she should.
Speaker 1: Be Scratch's assistant. He should be Scratch because the thing I liked about Scratch when he finally does show up is he is the honeyed word guy. He gets hard when he has to, but really he's sweet and welcoming.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 2: But there's one moment that I never really thought about until I was rewatching. I probably watched it three times over the weekend, father alone, and he's talking with Willy, and Willy he basically tries to make a double or nothing bet because will he wants his soul back. He wants him to tear up the contract.
Speaker 4: Unless you might want to say it in for don't do it.
Speaker 5: So he's my friend.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in any of this shit anyways.
Speaker 4: I say it, don't do it, light Ning, you win, I tear it Willis contract. But what happens if my man Jack Bloway, you kid me already got you.
Speaker 2: I swear to you, Father Milive. There's something primal in his eyes, like it's almost like with all of the honeyed words and the smiles and everything, his eyes in that moment aren't smiling because he knows he's I already got you, Willie, like you give me something more because he wants the kid. He wants Eugene's soul also. But that's the only moment really where you'd see that mask of civility fall a little bit from scratch and you see this guy for who he is. It's I don't frankly, I don't know much. I think the actor who played him was more of a theater actor. He only has two three credits in IMDb, and he died shortly after this before the movie was released. He died unfortunately stomach cancer. But he's phenomenal in this. I love him in this.
Speaker 1: The moment you're describing occurs again in the same scene, and that's when Willie Brown begs off that he was not given what he was promised. You can tear that up and give me some peace.
Speaker 2: Why on earth would I want to do that?
Speaker 3: Are you slept up on your end of things? I didn't end up where I wanted.
Speaker 2: I didn't end up with nothing, didn't get nothing. You got but you were supposed to get.
Speaker 4: Blues Man ain't nothing ever as good as we wanted to be, but that he'd no reason to break a deal.
Speaker 1: I love this guy. I love that actor, So I'm happy with him being leg But maybe he should have been in the car and Joe Morton should have been his sidekick, and Joe Morton could have been cruel and mean while the devil's being nice.
Speaker 2: It's, if nothing else, it's an embarrassment of riches, this sort of devil in his consorts. It's great leading up. I mean that.
Speaker 1: The fact is I like their characters so much, because truly, in rewatching this movie, when I was able to identify why I what I not liked about the movie finally coalesced s HP, and that is our three leads are a bunch of pricks. All three leads are insufferable in their own ways.
Speaker 2: Now, when you say three leads, you're talking about Eugene, you're talking about Willie. Are you talking about Francis also?
Speaker 1: Well, of course I'm talking about missus Jamie Gertz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they.
Speaker 2: I can excuse Willie Brown. I think it's great that they made him a prick, because it would be so easy to make him this saintly old man who just needs another chance. The fact that he is, I mean, he lies to Eugene to break him out of this prison essentially, and he's not so nice to Francis when he meets, although they do make up at the end. But him, I can excuse it. I think it's appropriate for him to.
Speaker 1: Be a dick.
Speaker 2: But and I guess, for instance, like she's a runaway, why wouldn't she be even bittered?
Speaker 1: And all her character does is get them in trouble because she's an amoral nightmare.
Speaker 2: Pretty much pretty much.
Speaker 1: I don't why do you think is an insufferable prick? His motivation here is to get famous and then only to compaut. He has his one night up on the stage, which, by the way, is only that situation is manufactured by Willie Brown to get you Gene out of trouble. Yeah, because he blows the moment of triumph there just playing guitar passively, and then he turns into a megalmoniacal nightmare.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with you there after he performs at the juke joint, and then he's so wired on the adrenaline of performing and doing well. He in that moment he is a prick. I agree with you there And.
Speaker 1: The rest of the time he's just complaining about your lie to me. Willy, you know where you This is all bullshit, Willy, What the fuck? Willy? Where's my fucking song? Willie? It's just like he's a nice he says, just a jerk.
Speaker 2: But Willy did lie to him, though, Willy said Willy says to him at the beginning, because he says, well, how the hell are we gonna get down to Mississippi? And Willi says, I got this bank roll right here, I've had it forever, and he pulls out a wat of bills. Yeah, they make it so Eugene has enough money to get them to Memphis. It's still a long ways to Mississippi. So he says, all right, give you the money, will because Willy says, you get us to Memphis, I'll give you the money to get us the rest of the way to Yazu City. So he gives him the billfold and he even says to Eugene, why don't you count it first? And then Eugene counts it and it's it's forty dollars with newspaper underneath it rolled up to make it look like it's a big wa of cash. What would you do in that moment, Father Malone? This guy promised, you're already hundreds of miles away from New York. You got no fucking money, you got no transportation.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Of course he be pissed.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take four dollars, I'm gonna rent a car, and I'm gonna go back to New York. If his reaction is anything but rent a car and go back to New York, get on a train, go back to New York, take a bus back to New York. If his reaction is anything but, then shut the fuck up for the rest of the trip. Young Eugene he has he look, he does have a valid reason to be mad when he finds out there is no song.
Speaker 2: But that's the carrot that will he keeps dangling, like it would be easy for him to say, let's.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. He's leading Eugene along with his own greed because Eugene just wants that song so he can become famous. It's not like I just need to hear this one song. Like if that were the case, then he should be devastated when there's no song, and.
Speaker 2: I can't argue with that. His motives, Eugene's motives are are not so pure. Clearly he wants I think he even says this is his shot at entering like the Blue breaking into the Blues is this song.
Speaker 1: I will say this though, as much as I love Joe Martin in the scenes that we get him in, I do think the dream sequence that Willie Brown has where Scratch's assistant is tiny when he opens the door and then he grows bigger. No, it's a great effect. It's fantastic. It's a fantastic sequence. Might be my favorite sequence in the movie. It should be Scratch, it should not be the assistant appearing to him on the crossroads as the devil's proxy is one thing, appearing in his dreams to tell him what's in store for him. That's the devil's business, it should be.
Speaker 2: But I know they're just saving the reveal of the devil for the end of the movie, So I get why they did it.
Speaker 1: And I understand that too. But here's the other thing I noticed. As much as I love Walter Hill as a filmmaker, as an action filmmaker and dramatically, he's not a horror filmmaker. This would be borne out in his work for Talales from the Crypt, none of which are scary. But he has several moments in this movie that should be horrifying and aren't. When we finally get the Devil, it's just like we hear him talking and we turn around and there's the devil, and it could have been a fucking awesome reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you that the nightmare sequence in particular should have been more surreal, more nightmarish, because what's there is effective. Like you said, there's this forced perspective bit where Scratches assistant walks through the door and they've made the door really big and he's really small, but he keeps it like there's something about a nightmare sequence where the person or creature or whatever walks towards you in POV that should automatically be scary for the viewer because you're putting yourself in this nightmare that this person's And that's what's happening, is Willie's having this nightmare about this thing that it was a very I thought it was a very effective nightmare. There probably should have been more of that to sell this idea of how or mened he is. There's not enough of that. I will give you that.
Speaker 1: No, And that's the thing. Like his character as a prick, we appreciate and understand, but they could have they could have done a little bit more to show, yeah, how desperate his situation is. This is really a movie about him trying to get back to the crossroads to get his soul back, as much as everything else we're talking about. And in fact, it's odd to me that he didn't he wasn't more upfront earlier in the movie, like Eugene, it's all real, I sold my soul and I need to get down there.
Speaker 2: He does tell him that they're on the bus and early on in their journey, they're on the bus, and he does say because because Eugene is relating all these blues of these books on blues folklore that he's read, and but will he says, it's real. I went to the Crossroads. Robert Johnson went to the Crossroads. And this is the thing. He doesn't convey the gravity of it. I think, even up to the point where Legba makes his appearance to Eugene admits, he says, I don't believe in any of this shit anyway, So he readily agrees to this guitar duel between Legba's proxy and Eugene.
Speaker 1: But it is fun, which is wrong, by the way he should at that point, if that character doesn't believe that he's engaging in a competition where his soul is at stake, then there are no stakes.
Speaker 2: It eventually becomes real for him once he It's unclear. I think they're meant to think that he gets teleported directly from the Crossroads to this juke joint where the devil is having this headcutting duel, because at that point, when Eugene and Willie walk into this club, you can see that Eugene is maybe rethinking his cavalier attitude.
Speaker 1: That's my point. It should have been what about you, lightning boy? You want to be part of the competition. I don't believe in any of this shit. And then suddenly they're in the juke joint place and you go, how about now, what do you think you still want to compete with me? Then it would be like, oh shit. Then he's making a real decision, that's all. There's no agency for the character in that way. It's just another thing he's doing because he doesn't believe that crap any sure, but.
Speaker 2: At least the character of Eugene is continually trying to prove his blues prowess and prove that he is the lightning Boy. So even just on that basis, I think he's going to give his all during this performance, even if Willie doesn't impress upon him the importance.
Speaker 1: And really it's no.
Speaker 2: Different than the scene in Karate Kid two where he's about to fight Chosen and mister Miagi has to tell him this isn't for points, this is for real Daniel. So it's like, I know John Fuscot that he says there was no direct influence on his screenplay of the Karate Kid and in fact, Ralf Machio like there were other actors considered to play Eugene. I know Tom Cruise was me mentioned Sean Penn was actually someone else that they said, Can you imagine how insufferable he would have been if he had been Sean Penn?
Speaker 1: But my point is, you know, I don't know, man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you think Sean Penn would have been a good Eugene?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Who else would have been a good Eugene?
Speaker 2: I think Tom Cruise would have been good at that age.
Speaker 1: I think he would have been Timothy Hunting. He's too white, That's exactly, He's too white. It definitely would have been white savior with him.
Speaker 2: Who else would have been somebody about super popular?
Speaker 1: How about Matthew Modine He could have.
Speaker 2: Because he could have been scholarly. I think he would have played that up.
Speaker 1: He could have been. I know, I'm just a fucking white kid from the suburbs. Man, but this music is important. You would believe him, you.
Speaker 2: Would because it would have felt like he put in the work to learn all of this folklore. But like as I don't have a problem with Ralph Macchio. I think he's fine.
Speaker 1: He is no and I'm not complaining about him necessarily, and he probably got the movie made.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you another question, father Milone. We briefly touched on the character of Francis only if only to say that she's an asshole. But what's your impression of Jamie Gertz. I know the character isn't that you're rich of a character, but what did you think.
Speaker 1: I think they were right to cast her if she walked into any casting agency, or rather any audition in nineteen eighty five nineteen eighty six. She's so fresh on the scene, and she's so fucking capable in every role she's in. She can adapt really quickly to whatever genre. So I don't blame them for casting her, and I think she does a good job. But it's a fucking, absolutely superfluous character.
Speaker 2: That's another problem that I have with this. And some of this ties in with Eugene, so really the only purpose that she serves in this picture is she has a alliance with Eugene. They have sex in this hayloft before getting shaken down. I want to talk about the scene with the sheriffs. We'll get back to that, but the whole point of her being there is so that he can basically fall for her, and then when she leaves him that all of a sudden finally gives him the deeper understanding of the blues quote unquote capital B blues. That's really the only purpose that she serves. I hate to say it because I think it does her a disservice, but that's the character is written. There's no way around it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't do Jamie Gertz a disservice. The character does Jamie Gertz a disservice, because that is the character's only function in this screenplay. It's to get Eugene to over the hill finally, to get him to feel the blues deep down. Until then, he's only intellectualized. And now because someone has broken his heart, someone who he met and has been arguing with and has had no real attraction to, but on the high from his performance, has sex with her quickly, and then she disappears because she needs to move on, and now his heart is broken.
Speaker 2: No, they had sex before he performed.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. They had it in the barn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then so there's that barn scene and.
Speaker 1: Then okay, after he's all right, so you know what Okay, they did have a legitimate fling, but they didn't seem to really like each other. And she's horrible and he's horrible, and fuck them both.
Speaker 2: But I did that scene, by the way. I know, you want to move on to something, but you're not a scene where she leaves him and he comes back and they're staying in some flophouse somewhere, and he comes back in and Willie sits them down at this table in this crappy hotel room and pours them both whiskey and basically has a sit down. And that's when he tells, essentially tells Eugene there's no thirtieth song. I lied, there's only twenty nine. And that's, you know, putting aside him playing and feeling the blues, that moment of the two of them sitting at that table, there's a vibe about that Father Malone. It just feels so comforting, like he's trying to comfort Eugene. It feels like they're seeing each other as contemporaries for the first time. Maybe finally WILLI sees him as something other than the kid with no real experience. There's something about that scene I always really liked.
Speaker 1: I agree with you across the board. It's a great scene for those two characters, and it is a pivotal scene. It is the moment where Eugene finally figures out how to play this music emotionally right. But the Francis character has been nothing but a drain as far as time spent between these two characters, because that's what this movie is about. This is a father and son journey, or a brother or a mentor and mentee story. Anything else is a fucking distraction. What should have taught him the blues? The fact that that there was no song, the fact that all of his bullshit was for not you're not going to be famous. I lied to you, kid. We're out here with nothing and nobody, and you don't have a fucking mean, you don't have a fucking like a penny to your name to get home.
Speaker 2: We are trapped.
Speaker 1: That's when he starts playing the blues, not because the girl he fucked in a barn took off.
Speaker 2: This is the blues, Eugene you wanted because at the beginning, Eugene has taken a job as a maintenance worker at this nursing home slash prison just to get into to see Willie and he keeps pumping Willy for information, trying to understand is this the real Willy Brown? And at one point Willy says, why he's so interested in the blues anyway?
Speaker 5: Kid?
Speaker 2: And he's in his coveralls, he's mopping up or whatever, and he says, because I'm a blues man. And that could not have been funnier for Willy to hear. He laughs so much the nurse comes in to take him to his medical appointment, He's laughing all the way down. For Willie to finally accept Eugene as a quote unquote blues man, like you said, it's a pivotal moment because this whole time he's just cutting down Eugene. For they have this great night at the juke joint where he plays well, and Willy just cuts him down. He's half drunk and he just says, look, you even you're not even intent of the way there, you're not a blues man. I'm only one blues man in this town and that's me. And it completely crushes Eugene because this was his big shining moment. So for him to finally say, you know what, I accept you as a blues man. I thought that was really cool. It was a cool scene.
Speaker 1: Once again, I agree with you, and I'm going to reiterate I needn't have Jamie Gartz in any capacity to make any of those scenes work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, because all to your point earlier, all she does is get them in trouble. She's going to hook up with some bar owner.
Speaker 1: And she's a piece of shit bar owner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and but Eugene wants to white knight and save her from doing something show regret, so he comes in and try to get her out of there. She tells him wait behind the door for this guy to come out of the bathroom and hit him over the head and we'll steal his money. That goes awry. They steal the guy's car, they have to later get rid of it, and all this kind of stuff. Willy takes them to this juke joint there's a white one across the street, and he tells them going there with this piece and whatever, and she fucks it up like she basically she wrote. She robs the guy in there, causes this big ruckus. They get kicked out. The guy confiscates Eugene's guns, so they got no more gun to defend themselves. Now they've got to go over to the black you know, juke joint, and they're about to get like at least robbed, but probably worse. And that's when Willy saves them by saying bringing him up on stage and making him play music, because up to that point, Francis has been nothing but trouble. So I agree with you that I don't know why they continue to hang out with her because she's bad.
Speaker 1: And because it's her making all the fucking mistakes. It's not like Eugene is learning anything throughout the movie, right, It's just that he's dealing with the situations that keep arising. He should be failing in there. I not only didn't make us any money, but they fucking took my gun.
Speaker 2: He's reacting. That's all that Eugene really does for most of the trip is he's reacting to what's happening around them.
Speaker 1: And playing the blues slowly. That's what Eugene's purpose is for most of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. By the way, one of the things that drove me nuts about him is so at the beginning of the movie he is playing acoustic blues. He has his beat up all acoustic guitar, and even Willie I think it's great. He says, like, you probably bought this because it looked beat up. You don't know. So he takes him to a pawn shop, right, and they pick they's It is a great scene. They pick up an old fender. It's a seventies telecaster with the block lettering, the yellow and white beautiful. And the guy gives them a pig nose amp and he says, you could be a walking concert with this thing. So whatever first thing that bugged me is the guy says, four hundred dollars and all this can be yours. That's a fucking seven thousand dollars guitar alone. The guitar is seven thousand dollars. The amp, that vintage jamp is probably another five hundred dollars on top of that. Now fo them alone, that's number one. Number two. That when they go to when they go to the this abandoned house to get out of the rain, that's when they meet Francis. They're running through the rain. He never got a case for this beautiful guitar. They're walking through torrential rain and the fucking guitar is sticking out of this duffel bag that he has it's stuffed into. I'm like, what are you fucking nuts? You're gonna ruin that beautiful instrument, Eugene, You're such an idiot. So that bugged hell out of me to see that beautiful telecaster just treated like crap. Sorry, I had to get off my chest.
Speaker 1: No, that's I love hearing that that. I wouldn't have thought of that. I would be thinking like the filmmakers were thinking, put the stunt guitar on his back. Who cares? Just get through the shot?
Speaker 2: Just killed me to see that. Now, when I was a kid, I didn't care. But now seeing that's a beautiful guitar and that amp is like that that amp seems like a goofy thing in the movie, but that actually is a real piece of like the Rolling Stones use that a lot of different bands. That was like considered a cool piece of vintage gear. The other thing that kind of bugged me is that the scene where he's finally learned the depth of the blues and he sits down to do slide guitar. This is so geeky. I can't even believe I'm mentioning to you, father Blone. But I've already gotten this far. He's playing the slide and the sound coming out of the amp is tremolo. Do you know what I mean by tremolo. It's that kind of what's like a volume quickly toggling, quiet and soft, first, quiet and fast. The pyg nose am did not have tremoloe. I don't know. That bug the hell on me because it's not true. It's not accurate.
Speaker 6: Damn it.
Speaker 2: That took me out of it a little bit, but because the playing is beautiful, but I know for a fact he's not playing through that goddamn amp.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Hey, man, if you know something is wrong and you're watching a movie, it's gonna take you out of it.
Speaker 2: It's killing me. When are we going to talk about Steve V? By the way, So.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, what do we need to talk about before we get Steve Vis?
Speaker 2: That's what? Okay, Let's get back to that scene where Yeah, that's another scene I really liked, and I think it's very It's one of the more perceptive scenes in the movie where so they've taken shelter in this barn, but it's not an abandoned bar, and people live someone's barn in the county. This is the scene where Eugene has had sex with Francis and the hayloft. Eventually the cops come and they're searching the place, and it has to be said, it's a whole bunch. They're African American cops. He's not a white guy in the bunch. They rouse them out of the barn and they take them to the first thing that happens is that one of them takes their money, basically says, oh, what are we here, and he takes it for himself. They take them to the county line and the sheriff, who I know, his name is John Hancock. I've seen him in a bunch of things. What if I seen him in Fathom alone.
Speaker 1: Oh come on now, don't do that to me. You know who I'm talking about, right, I know exactly what you're talking about. The sheriff in the scene, he's fucking fantastic, he's great.
Speaker 2: So he's another African American gentleman. He comes out and basically says to them, you know what, I don't like vagrants in my county. You guys walk across that bridge, then you're a sheriff. Tillman's problem not mine or whatever. And Francis says, well, what about our money? She says, what are you talking about? He says our money. That guy took our money. And the sheriff makes a threat to her and basically says, you know what, I think, I'm gonna take you to the women's farm, the prison. You know what, They're gonna love you there. You can be there while you try to figure out what we did with your money, and basically shuts her up. And this is whole it's just corrupt angle. And Willie steps in and says, you know what, this lot's changed in this county, but I guess a lot has stayed the same, ain't it. And he tips his hat and says, we'll be on our way. I'd love that, because you could have the scene would have played exactly the same if it was the white, rednick sheriff and his cronies shaking these people down and sending them on their way. But the fact that the whole crew of they're African American, I thought it was really cool, And the fact that Willy called him out on that and said, you know what, why are you doing this? This is something that I would have expected during Jim crow Era. I wouldn't expect it from you guys, but he just says, we'll be on our way. I love that scene.
Speaker 1: Police are corrupt, no matter what race they are. That's a Walter Hill trope, that's true.
Speaker 2: I didn't think of it in those terms, but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a bunch of Walter Hill trops on display here, including my favorite, which is also race related, which is because you can consider Eugene black here because he's playing the blues with his pig nosamp when he goes into that red neck bar, but the African American in the red neck bar causing havoc because we see that in forty eight Hours, we see that here, we see that in one other Walter Hill film. What's the other sort of big old Walter Hill trope. Look, the thing is, if we didn't know Walter Hill was behind this film, I might give the white savior attack a little bit of credibility. But the fact is Walter Hill ain't no racist. He doesn't believe white people are saving black people at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's true. And it is funny because that scene in the white sort of bar across the street from the black juke joint. Does it plays a little bit like the scene in forty eight Hours when Reggie goes into the bar pretending to be a cop and kind of shakes the place down. I mean it, the scene has a different arc, but it's the same. Yeah, it feels the same to me.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised the bar wasn't named Torchies, because that's every bar in Walter Hill movies is named Torchies.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, in Streets. I didn't know that in Streets to fire at the bar that Willem Dafoe that they have to infiltrate what Willem Dafoe is hold up and that's Torchies. The in forty eight Hours, that's Torchies.
Speaker 2: So that's his See you next Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically. And I think there was a bar in downtown Los Angeles called Torches, like in the sixties and seventies that he used to go to and then was eventually went defunct. But he's keeping the he's keeping the torch alive. Oh, it's in Brewsters Millions as well. Torchies.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a Walter Hill movie.
Speaker 1: Huh huh. And the other thing that why it's so good as a scene is there's no refuge for them. This is the idea of the blue Usman. There are there is no refuge, just the music. It is hammering home slowly here, thus reaffirming that we don't need Jamie Gertz here, because if she's that fucking street wise, why is she yelling at a cop give me back my money? Did she think that was ever going to happen? Also? Why are they seventeen? Let's talk about that. These are clearly actors in their twenties. What are we gaining by having them be seventeen? Just have them be in their twenties? Who cares?
Speaker 2: It didn't Yeah, I can see. I guess Eugene could have been older and still have been as naive as he was at seventeen or whatever. You're right about Francis though, although the only reason you need her to be younger is when that the racist bar owner, when they finally get to drop on him, she lays a threat that she's fifteen. It would not have been believable if she was in her twenties. It would be hard to sell that. That's the threat is she will tell on him for a dalliance with a minor basic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just I don't know, it's it's all just off putting. She's, oh, you could have as a character.
Speaker 2: She is, and you could have even if it was just Eugene and Willie. There's any number of things they could have gotten into that didn't involve some creepy lecherer's guy who's trying to get it on with someone. They could have run a foul of any number of racist people on their on their journey, or people who just didn't want to deal with vagrants. I don't know. You have to ask uh A Fusco. See what he says.
Speaker 1: We're asking Fusca, what's going on? Why did you have this character? Did they make you make her? Did they make you add her? We're wondering, possibly an early draft. I'd love to have read an early draft.
Speaker 2: Did you think she was tough enough bottom alone as the actress, not the character?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, because it's Jamie Gertz from Square Pegs. Listen. She has that Anne Hathaway quality of theater kid. But she has she doesn't have it as bad as it just reeks of it, you know, the sort of superior asshole theater kid quality.
Speaker 2: I agree, and that was my impression. I was thinking, like, if they had someone like a young rene Zelwiger who had an edge to her, who could have played a Texan who she just feels like she she could have played tough when you see her in I'm trying to think of what.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She just feels like she could have been more authentically tough then Jamie Gertz. It's like having Sarah Jessica Parker play Francis.
Speaker 1: Right, It's right, she's got the chops to play the character. But do you believe her?
Speaker 2: And I didn't believe her. Not that it matters, because we both agree that she was rather superfluous. But at the end of the day, like who would you have had? Who would you have preferred? Who do you think would have been a better Francis.
Speaker 1: See, I'm trying to run down a list of people who were popular and or just working at the time, and I'm just blanking on actors in their twenties at this period.
Speaker 2: It's not like renees Eliger was. But I'm just playing fantasy here.
Speaker 1: Who would I have played that part? Nobody? I would cut this character out of the fucking movie. If we're playing fantasy.
Speaker 2: But say, say the producer said you got to have a girl in this role. I don't care what you think about the story. Let's just do this. Who would you if you had to pick somebody I want Dase Eliger.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't put Renes Eliger, and I would cast specific to eighty five. You know what, I put young Melanie Griffith in that role. And I'll tell you why. Because Melie Griffith comes off like a fucking badass, you know what you can around the same time she's in body double and her speech about what she will and won't do as a porn actress. I believed every fucking word of her. There's no question she can be tough. But if this character is supposed to if we have to have the fucking character and she's just there to inspire the blues in Eugene, then at least make her a goddess.
Speaker 2: What about someone like Lori Petty.
Speaker 1: No, I would believe that it looks she's spunky enough to have been the character.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I just you know, we don't have to go that much further with this. I just as a thought experiment. I thought it was interesting to see because I didn't. I agree. I didn't buy her as she wasn't tough enough. I don't no knock on her abilities as an actor. I just thought someone else might have done a better had a better edge to them.
Speaker 1: Good performance, bad character, and unbelievable actor in a role. I just don't believe them.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: Where do we go from here? Which is the way that's clear?
Speaker 2: I tell you what we have to get to. We get to get to the climax of the story where you know, now we So they've gone down to the crossroads. Eugene, they made it. Eugene and Willie. They they set up this double or nothing bet with the Devil that if if Eugene can cut heads with Legba's proxy, this guy named Jack Butler, then he will rip up Willy's contract. But if he doesn't, if he loses to Jack Butler, the Devil gets Eugene and or he gets Willy and Eugene. So Eugene is putting his soul on the line for Willie. So they're magically transported essentially to this juke joint where if.
Speaker 1: You lose, the devil gets your soul.
Speaker 2: That was yet that's you know, that's probably something that maybe helped prime me for liking this movie, because I always loved that song The Devil Went Down to Georgia, the appeal of the legend of the guy playing the devil for the Golden Violin. I just I don't know. I always love that song. I don't love Charlie Daniels, but I love that song.
Speaker 1: It's a great song. Man, if it comes on the fucking radio, it's getting turned up to full volume in my.
Speaker 2: Car without a doubt. So we end up in this club and we get our first look at Jack Butler, played by none other than Steve I. Now Steve I. Just to catch people up a little bit. I know everybody kind of has this impression of who Steve I is, and I'm sure that that is, but let's I don't think people necessarily understand that Steve VII is really he's a prodigy. The guy started in Frank Zappa's band when he was something like nineteen or twenty years old. He transcribed the song for Zappa called the Black Pages. It was this notoriously difficult composition that Zappa wrote for drums and melodic percussion, and Steve I transcribed it for him and sent it to Zappa, and Zappa was so impressed that he brought him in to do transcriptions and eventually brought him into his touring band in nineteen eighty. He was so it's not as if Steve I was just this guy wanking off on his guitar and doing all these things. The guy has chops. The guy put in the time and the effort, and he's solid technically, and theoretically, there's no one more solid than this guy. Originally, though, let's.
Speaker 1: See Steve's getting Do you think he's a fucking terrible actor? I don't. I think this is his I'm saying, from the producer's director's perspective, would it not benefit them to cast Steve VII as Eugene?
Speaker 2: Oh, you're talking about having him play Eugene. I don't see that at all, because I don't think he could have pulled that off. He's too old looking. He couldn't have pulled off someone that young.
Speaker 1: See, I'm just wondering if he can act at all.
Speaker 2: I don't think he.
Speaker 1: I think this is what he was in this movie is not acting. It's just him being Steve VII.
Speaker 2: But but I think you're under selling it. I think there is a little bit of acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he when he starts to get flustered, Yes, definitely, But it's not like we're seeing him realize the meaning of the Blues.
Speaker 2: No, I think he I think if you talked to Steve VI, I think he would agree with you that he is or I think he would be the first to admit that he's no actor.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, and I'm look, I'm not bagging on his I'm wondering if he could have acted, do you think they would have cast him? Do you think they tested him?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Percent, I don't know. Here's the whole story behind his involvement. Originally, father alone, it wasn't He wasn't even the one who was going to be Jack Butler. Originally it was supposed to be ry Cooter was gonna be the devil's proxy. It was gonna be him, and it was supposed to be a slide guitar duel. Oh my god, no, but hold your horses now. It was gonna be between him and Eugene, and ry Cooter was all primed he was going to do this, but they realized during the rehearsals and everything that it wasn't working at.
Speaker 1: All, and in fact, the music was too similar.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it because Arlen Roth, who I talked about at the top of this episode. He on his SoundCloud page you can go, he posted the original headcutting duel between ry Cooter and him right because it was him doing the slide guitar for Eugene, I believe, and it is so samy it's hard to tell who's playing what. I think it was the right call to bring someone else in because it just would have been it. The beauty of bringing Steve Vaian is not only is he very theatrical and he looks the part, but having somebody who's playing a more contemporary style still blues, but he's playing it in such a showy because what he's doing is he's actually doing Paganini. Believe it or not, He's Paganini, who's Caprice number five is the basis for Eugene's trick bag, the thing that wins him the duel. Paganini was another musician who was thought to have sold his soul to the devil because he was such a brilliant musician and when he would perform, he would do things like throw his head back, roll his eyes up, and you know, in the back of his head and do all this stuff. That's what Steve I's doing there, He's doing Paganini.
Speaker 1: So Paganini had the original guitar face.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 1: He is worshiping at the altar of Paganini when we saw him on SNL all those times.
Speaker 2: I guess you could look at it that way, but but you need to have that that friction between the classic blues slide guitar style that Eugene brings up, the quote unquote authentic blues and this guy who's playing this metalized eighties version of blues. So you have to have that. This is a this is essentially a boxing match between the two of them. I will stump for Steve I in this all the time. I mean, if I'm going to watch any part of Crossroads, It's going to be the headcut and duel ten times out of ten.
Speaker 1: You know. It's funny as a kid watching this movie over and over again. I understand the importance of the scene, and I like the scene, but it didn't register with me what was going on between these two. It was I was watching them play until one couldn't do what the other did, and then he won. That was what it was. To me on the rewatch now it was what you're saying, and I do agree with you now. Hearing Steve I playing these very modern, very sort of mid eighties metally versions of a bluesy kind of a riff and then having having it repeated back with a slide guitar and hearing them bounding off of one another was fucking awesome to hear. Like I didn't appreciate how excellent that portion of the music was. My thing about Walter Hill's movies and Ry Cooter was I like Ry Cooter and I liked his sound, and so this sort of attack of different styles didn't land with me as a kid, but now it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And don't forget that when I just I love the arc of the whole guitar battle because it starts off they feel each other out, and then there's a moment where because Jack Butler's just throwing riffs basically at Eugene to see if he can keep up or if he's worthy of engaging in this duel, and Eugene gives as good as he gets, and at that point, Jack Butler takes off his guitar, takes off his jacket, and that's when you know, as a viewer, all right, this is going up to a higher gear. Now, this is really on. And then they play this song together and it feels like Eugene's about to fucking win it all. And that's when Jack Butler hits him again with this little solo piece. And one of the unique things about STEVI that kind of puts him in a different category from somebody like Eddie van Halen at the risk of being sacrilegious about this, is that Steve I had the ability to make his guitar talk in a very real sense, Like there's a moment where they he launches into the solo to basically tell Eugene in musical terms like this is it. I'm taking control, You're done. And he plays this little bit and he kind of bows to Eugene, and then he bows to the audience and then he does this kind of hot thing with his whammy bar. It's so you know, it's so unique and so Steve I, and so you know what he's saying, even if he's not using words to do it. And it's easy to see why Steve VI became the sound for Bill and Ted's air guitar because he did all the Air Guitar, and all the Bill and Ted movies.
Speaker 1: Excellent, all the props in the world. Is Steve Vie man of everyone from the nineteen eighties. He always seemed like the solid performer. He seemed like the guy who actually knew what he was doing and was doing it in an interesting way.
Speaker 2: He's a very I've since looked up a lot of his videos. He's a very humble guy for somebody who can basically play his ass off at whatever he is. I think he's like in his late sixties now, he's pretty old. But what I was leading up to was, so he does this little piece and he's basically trying to close the case on Eugene, and that's it. And then Eugene launches into what's known as Eugene's trick bag, which is that caprice number five by Paganini. That's Steve v playing that. That's the one piece of this duel that neither Arlen Roth nor Raykotera are playing so effectively. Steve I is playing against himself at that point, which I think is it still blows my mind when.
Speaker 1: I'm the only person who can defeat Steve is.
Speaker 2: Steve VII and as a kid, I used to eat up these guitar magazines. I was just learning how to play guitar, so I'd buy guitar player, guitar for the practicing musician guitar world. And I guarantee you at least once a year after that movie came out, somebody would do a transcription of some piece from Crossroads. It could be the trick Bag, it could be the head cut and duel. You would see this laid out in tabulatair. Because and even now you go to and there's still people doing covers of this piece of music. It's not only was I, in my own small way inspired by all of this, but I would it's no exaggeration to say that countless other people were also inspired. And the proof is in, like I said, these videos, all these magazine articles, even now, it's still people. When Steve I performs live now fatherm alone, Okay, think back when when he first launches into the guitar duel, he does this sort of slow chugging riff with like almost like a Horsey Soundary goes doooo. He made that into his own song called bad Horsey on one of his albums. When he performs live the movie screen behind him cuts to a scene from Crossroads. It's Legba saying, oh, Jack Butler's gonna love you, and he mimes the first whatever intro to Bad Horsey, which is essentially the piece from Crossroads. Steve I has embraced this. I think Steve I loves the fact that he is no to a certain segment of the population as Jack Butler, and he's embraced it to the point where he plays Crossroads at all of his live shows. Now, I think that's awesome.
Speaker 1: He definitely should. Why wouldn't he, My God, he is Jack Butler, He's the Devil's He's the Devil's guy.
Speaker 2: It's great. The guitar, by the way, is in the hard Rock Cafe Biloxi, Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Can I just say that Legba and the Devil are not analogs?
Speaker 2: Well, Legba is like some sort of demon, it's not actually the Devil. So I guess we're playing fast and loose with the language by calling but he's essentially the Devil, right, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know what you're telling me. The fucking telecaster costs seven thousand dollars. I'm telling you that leg and the Devil aren't the same thing.
Speaker 2: This is the ven diagram of our actionship.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: It's an intersecting here with telecasters and demonology. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: It actually sums this up, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It is. It's amazing we've done it, Father Blone. This is like the what is that that the resetta stone of our friendship is right here at Crossroads?
Speaker 1: Just nearly forty years to figure it out, but thank God for that come along, Thank you John Fusco for bringing us together and sorting out our relationship.
Speaker 2: Really, and can I say how pissed I am that Britney Spears movie existsank you?
Speaker 1: Because every time I mention I'm gonna be watching Crossroads, we're gonna talk Crossroads, I get the really you're gonna talk about that, and I'm like, no, not the Britney Spears moving like, oh there's another one. Yeah, there's a fucking another one.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: Okay, Can we talk the cutting head scene from a different perspective. Now we can both agree it's a fucking fantastic scene musically, dramatically. Now we got to talk about race, because if Eugene were black in this scene, it would be that much more powerful that when he shows up the Devil's Yeah, being black doesn't even count anymore. This white guy, it can beat you easily. That would have been great. That doesn't necessarily mean that the as is bad, But there is this weird implication that the blues is defeated by white classical music that I find a little disturbing.
Speaker 2: That I don't disagree. I will let me bring up another piece of this.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing. And I would not say it if Eugene were black, because it would be like, oh, by the way, white person, here's your own music, and you can't play it as good as I can. Then it would have been something.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting is that there's another piece to this that maybe will lend some credence to that. Originally, when Eugene and Willy arrived at this juke joint, they see Jack Butler cutting heads with another guy. So the guy before Eugene, right, this guitar player that was going to cut heads with Jack Butler at the beginning of the scene was a guy named shuggy Otis. Have you ever heard of shuggy Otis? Chuggy Otis is this unsung guitar songwriting Prodigy. Okay, he did an album called Inspiration Information, which is one of my favorites. He wrote the song A Strawberry Letter twenty three, which was done by the Brothers Johnson. You've probably heard the song, maybe you don't remember it offhand, but he's he was a guitar in Blues Prodigy. This guy, Shuggy Otis. Anyone who's listening, look him up. I'm telling you, he's the real deal. Anyway, shuggy Otis is African American. So the scene was going to begin with Jack Butler cutting heads with a black man and winning. Okay, basically, shuggy Otis couldn't do it and he loses. They cut that out of the scene partly because they even at the time, they thought the optics of having this white guy beat a black guitarist in the setting would have been what would have been too much, would not have sat well with the audience. And I would agree with them on that to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: So that's alleviated. If you Gene is black. Look, here's the thing. Eugene should have been black. The movie works as it is. I'm not saying it doesn't. Eugene should have been black. The movie he's so much better if he was it will.
Speaker 2: But here's one point I want to make on that.
Speaker 1: And if Francis were also black, then that character would work a little bit more for me. But here's the podcast. Okay, I call for a remake of Crossroads. Maybe make my point here.
Speaker 2: The issue there, Malone is if you have a Eugene be black, then it's not then him going on this journey with Willie, he's not going to learn anything because being black, he's going to already be pro all these things.
Speaker 1: If Eugene is a black kid from urban New York who has had no experience with what caused that music in the first place, because he's never been treated that the way those guys were treated, then that the journey becomes even more valid because it's teaching him about his own cultural past that he has no connection to because he's been living in an urban environment.
Speaker 2: But he would have been an African American kid in the middle of New York City. There's no I think there's very little chance that even if he had grown up sheltered him, going to Juilliard and being in that environment, he must have been privy to racism in some to some degree.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would have been. He would have been privy to snide, sneering racism. He wouldn't have been privy to get on the ground. We're taking your money. You're lucky. We don't fucking kill you here or ship you off to the fucking state farm until we decide whether or not you're worth prosecuting consequences.
Speaker 2: You're very you're very determined about my point.
Speaker 1: Look, man, I really this movie and I just want it to be better, and it's so close to being perfect.
Speaker 2: Then let me turn this around. Who could you have had play an act for kin? American Eugene Denzel Washington. We're talking nineteen eighty five, too old? No, okay, what's his name?
Speaker 1: Fuck? Oh Sagarera, what's your name?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Forrest Whittaker, Orest Whittaker, nineteen eighty five, long and thin sel Remember him in Color of Money, where he's playing a dummy just so he can hustle fucking Paul Newman, and then he takes all of Paul Newman's money.
Speaker 2: Ah, that might have been interesting. I actually, I'm I'm beginning to see your point a little bit, Father Molonte. I still think it's hard.
Speaker 1: Whittaker in Crossroads it would have been a whole other movie. It would have been this like dramatic, dynamic thing. As it is, it's just a fun adventure movie with Ralph Maaccia.
Speaker 2: You might be onto something there because because it definitely becomes there's more of an edge when you have Forrest Whittaker, and he could play funny too, he could make he can play charming and man, that could have been really good. Actually, I'm seeing him there with Joe Seneca going through all these same adventures. I think it could be good.
Speaker 1: Toe to toe with Joe Seneca, Joe Senica putting Forrest Whittaker in his place? Are you kidding? And then Forrest Whittaker walking into that room with Steve v and getting pummeled for a while and then going oh, yeah, you know what, let me play some classical Steve Vie. What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: And when you know it's always weird about that scene File them alone. They win the head cutting duel and the Devil or leg Book aka Scratch, tears up the contract and they finished the blues song and then there's this weird fade out and it becomes Cpa toned on the Crossroads. Are we meant to believe that they've been just and Eugene has this confused look on his face. Are we meant to believe that they've just been transported instantaneously back to the crossroads?
Speaker 1: They are, definitely, Yes, they're now back at the crossroads.
Speaker 2: But so so Eugene's confusion is this temporal confusion where he's I've just been insta transported to this place again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because no matter what happens in Eugene's life, he don't believe in that shit.
Speaker 2: But now he does.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't. He's now still confused. I don't know how that happened, but now we're here. Anyway, there's nothing, says catl. Let's go to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Willy even says to him, get that dumb look off your face, because he's clearly looks like somebody who transports instantaneously somewhere, and they're like, how did I get here?
Speaker 1: This is weird because halfway through the movie he should have it should have been proven to him that the supernatural exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, that him being on the crossroads and that should be like that shot, that's maybe my favorite shot of the movie, is this wide shot of the crossroads where he walks over next to the tree, Eugene and he starts playing slide get.
Speaker 1: But even then he's come on, say that again, I stepped in your line.
Speaker 2: So he's playing slide guitar out by this the gnarled tree, while Willy says, this is where it counts. We got to get them to come out here, and he even then he Eugene's saying, oh, come on, when are we gonna to Fulton's point, this is bullshit. He doesn't. He's still he's at the crossroads themselves, and he's heard all these stories from Willie, but yet he still doesn't believe that that is that doesn't bother them alone.
Speaker 1: Scratch's assistant shows up in a magic car and he talks to Willie Brown in a familiar way, talking about like confirming everything that Willy Brown has been saying through the entire movie, and then drives away, and then the fucking devil shows up. He appears.
Speaker 2: See this is what just appears.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying, Like that scene, I don't know why Walter Hill didn't try to eat least go for some sort of shock, if not scare, But if the car had pulled away, and in the same shot there's the Devil. It would have been like ah, but as it is, it's like the car drives away, they watch it drive away, and then you hear a voice. You turn around and go, oh, here's this guy. They're trying to continue to play with this idea that this may or may not be supernatural. We know it's supernatural, Walter, we know it's supernatural.
Speaker 2: It is per played. But it's just it's weird that Eugene never cops to the notion that this is true, for all evidence to the contrary. It's staring him right in the face. Willie has been hammering this home through this whole trip, like I need to get back to the crossroads. I need to get back there. Is he just we led to believe he's just humoring him so that they can learn the song, because at that point he knows the song is bullshit. So why are they at the crossroads anyway? Then it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Remake Seriously, maybe it's time. Yeah, I don't know why this hasn't been remade. Honestly, not that I'm saying that, you know, I'm not saying it needs to be remade. Because that movie is bad. I'm just saying it could be a great movie.
Speaker 3: I like you cha.
Speaker 1: Which. Speaking of which, have you seen the trailer for Ryan Coogler's new film.
Speaker 2: The One with the Twins or what's his name playing Twins? I? No, I have not seen the trailer, but I've been reading it, but it sounds like it's gonna be pretty good.
Speaker 1: Is it possible Bootlegging in the South? Michael Michael B. Jordan as twin brothers, one of whom becomes possessed of the devil. It's gonna be the It's gonna be like Constantine in the in the twenties in the Deep South.
Speaker 2: What was that movie that the guy who was playing Kang the conqueror Lovecraft County? Is it like a Lovecraft County type of thing, kind of like that, Yeah, where it's like it's the Deep South, but it's you know, it's the racism thing, but it's something more sinister behind all of that. Is that what they're going for?
Speaker 1: I don't know that. I don't know how much the racism is playing into the plot of the story. I just know it's a story about the crime family in the Deep South, and then there there's some supernatural shenanigans, but they're not shying away from the supernatural.
Speaker 2: I love Ryan Coogler to the guy can do no fucking wrong.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the end of Crossroads because it's so fucking abrupt and weird.
Speaker 2: They get teleported back to the crossroad they're walking now. They decide they're going to go to Chicago and start to spread the gospel, right, and then with the stipulation that Willy's gonna leave, he's gonna leave Willy after Chicago and take the Blues in a new direction or whatever. Uh, they shake hands and then that's you're right. It is very abrupt. But how else would you want to just end it at the triumph at the juke joint.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know what the satisfying ending would be.
Speaker 2: By the way, there was another ending that was shot. There were two endings.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is the thing I've been looking.
Speaker 2: For so bear. So there were two endings. One was they had a happy ending, which is the one that we see, and the sad ending. The sad ending is they're on a greyhound bus going back to New York and Willie Brown dies on the Greyhound.
Speaker 1: Awesome, that's the end. Apparently they were going to get the fucking Further Adventures of Willy and Lightning book.
Speaker 2: The thing was, Walter Hill's father had recently passed away, so there was something intensely maybe a little too personal for him, so it sounds like he didn't have a real handle on that ending. But frankly, it was just a situation where they test audiences didn't respond well to the sad ending, so they went with a good ending end of story.
Speaker 1: Pussye, how that's what I have to say to that shit man. That's the end. What's the point? He fucking gets his soul back and then he dies. It's perfect, and now Eugene has the fucking blues. That's the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: It would have made more sense because these blues guys all live fast, die hard, basically a blues man. I could very easily see It's like Hank Williams right now that he was a bluesman, but he died in his car outside of what Memphis or something, so I could see that being the ignominious end of a blues man is just dying on the way from Memphis or Mississippi. To New York on a Greyhound. That's sad, but maybe ropriatomatically.
Speaker 1: It's a little Midnight Cowboy. It's a little less than zero, but they can have him die in other ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't have a real problem with the.
Speaker 1: Years of a combine and that's a way to go.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't have a real problem with it. But I also didn't take it as them setting up the further adventures. I thought it was just like, all right, these guys all got what they wanted. Eugene maybe he did, can get the Lost Song, but his future is assured. That's enough.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It just felt unsatisfying, not unsatisfying enough for me to not recommend this movie. I'm recommending the movie. HP. Are you recommending this movie?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah? Absolutely. The Danger of Fall the Malone is am I recommending it because it's a good movie or because I loved it when I was thirteen years old and I can't get away from that, and that's a little hard for me to I think objectively, it's a good movie, solid fun movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not everything has to be the fucking best, and not everything is the fucking worst. This is a pretty just solid musical flick that has great fucking music in it and is a good story and delves into a bit of Americana that not a lot of people knew about at the time, maybe still didn't know about today, Robert Johnson and his deal with the Devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, White Savior or not. If this movie teaches somebody, anybody about the Blues who maybe didn't know about it, otherwise, I think that's a pretty pretty good thing. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: This movie inspired you to play guitar. You went out and bought the cassette tape of Robert Johnson that Ralph Macho has in the movie, as did I. So yeah, of course, Like what could be bad about this movie? Nothing excepting except Francis is a terrible character and needed to have been there, and Eugene should have been black. Other than that, we're gonna we're gonna recommend this movie. HP, my man, let's finish up with with with a bit of a head to head battle if you will. Steve v Okay, we're gonna set him up as the ideal here because he's the Devil's man. He's Jack Butler, Steve I versus Buckethead.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's tough because Buckethead can use nunchucks while he's playing.
Speaker 1: That's going to kind of make it playing better. Or is that just a gimmick.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a gimmick obviously, But you know that's I here's the thing. I love Buckethead. Well, I don't know. I can't say that. You know, Buckethead is prolific, he's mysterious. That's a hard question. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I want to say Jack Butler because he's imbued with the devil's mojo, But man, Buckethead is so mysterious, and he can play so fast, and he's got that huge less Paul with the kill switch button. I gotta cop out and say, maybe it's a draw. Maybe they just look at each other and say, fuck, you're good. Now you're good.
Speaker 1: All right, Then I can't have a follow up. You got to pick one, you know what.
Speaker 2: For the sake of that, I'm still gonna say Jack Butler, but Buckethead's not far behind.
Speaker 1: Jack Butler versus Johnny Lang speaking of blues guitarists and white Jack Butler, no question, Jack Butler versus Ingvey Malmstein.
Speaker 2: Jack Butler ing Yingvey is is technically good, but he got.
Speaker 1: No soul Joe Satriani versus Jack Butler.
Speaker 2: Considering Steve I took lessons from Joe Satrianni when he was young, the student. It's got to be Satch Satch baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, now here's an idea for a movie Steve I as Eugene Joe Satriani as Jack Butler.
Speaker 2: I could be Joe Satriani is so good. Oh man, I don't know. I'm not convinced of VI's acting ability, but I could see that.
Speaker 1: Maybe another universe. There are multiverses out there. Maybe we can get an MCU version. Yeah, and then till then until we figure that all out. HP Oh no, wait, I'm going to keep interrupting myself. I'm gonna just before before I kick it over to you and tell people where to find you. I'm enjoying these musical collabs between Midnight Viewing and the Noise Junkies. There are certainly a whole lot of other musical films of this period to choose from. I want to throw it to the listeners to see which one you would want us to do. In order to do that, you got to write to me at father Malone seven to one at gmail dot com. Or hit me up on the socials, probably Instagram. That's what you'll probably find me the most. That's at Father Malone, but that's at Father Malone across all of them. And so we got to decide what's the next movie that we're going to watch. We should give them some choices. HP. Maybe American Pop.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's a good one. But I thought you I frankly, I thought you hated American Pop.
Speaker 1: I don't hate it. I've come around. There are still major problems with it, but there are major problems with every one of the movies we're going to be discussing here. I think what's another big major musical one from Oh you know What's something like Shock Treatment I would like to talk about.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good one too. If I hadn't already done a whole podcast upisode on The Idol Maker, I would have advocated for that because I'm desperate to evangelize that movie. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what I'll leave. That's that's an option. That's if people write in about they want to hear about the Idolmaker, will do the Automaker. So the choice of the Idol Maker little Shop of Horrors. That's the second one. Little Shop of Horrors is the second one, and the third one is American Pop.
Speaker 2: I think all of those three movies are all solid choices. I wish I could think of more off the top of my head, but I'm blanking right now. Father Alone, but any of those would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Leave it up to them, And until then, where can people find you if they're looking for you? Those same people? If you want to hear hps more of his stuff.
Speaker 2: In addition to Noise Junkies music podcast, which this is a crossover technically, you can find me on the Night mister Walters, a taxi podcast with yourself Father Alone. We just kicked off season three, so excited to be back in the garage on that one. I'm also an occasional guest on the Culture Cast with Chris Dashu and I also have a band campsite hpmusicplace dot bandcamp dot com. You can come check out. Not a lot of blues up there yet. Maybe I'll start to change that at some point, maybe I should spread out a little bit. But anyway, album just released recently called Wired and Waiting. Please listen to that and if you like it. Throw a couple bucks my way, help a guy out.
Speaker 1: As for me, you're listening to the show, it's midnine viewing. But if you want to hear episodes early in commercial free and get access to shows that me and HP do, like Cable Box Theater, head over to patreon dot com slash Father Alone. You can subscribe there. That'd be cool. But if you don't have any money, I don't have any money. I don't blame if you don't have any Just if you could subscribe or like or share this show, that would be greatly appreciated. Tune back in on Sunday or Monday, whenever I'm conscious enough to get the goddamn show done. That'll be the next Father's Malone's weekly round up, and tune in next Friday. We've got another episode of Midnight Viewing Horror Anthology podcast where we're talking about the next two episodes of Tails from the dark Side Until next time. There's a hell hound on your trail.
Speaker 3: Shame on you, Willie Brown, traveling all the way back down home.
Speaker 2: As if you had a chance, ain't.
Speaker 3: Got no chance.
Speaker 4: Blind doll your soul, your soul, you going down all the way down hellhounds on your trail, Boy, hellhounds on.
Speaker 6: Your trails, sets stings, stasist