Speaker 1: All right, what is going on a drive time on a Friday afternoon.
Speaker 2: We're a little late today.
Speaker 1: It's about nineteen minutes past the hour.
Speaker 2: Of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: Man, it is a chamber of commerce Utah day. Outside it's about seventy five degrees and clear and the sun is shining. Have great weather this weekend. Excited for that. Happy Friday to you. And as it is every single day, it's gonna have you long for the ride's bench check hits behind the mic. That young man is Porter Larsen behind the glass today and we are, yep, you know what I'm gonna say. We are absolutely gampacked on a Friday afternoon to get you ready for a big sports weekend ahead. The weekend in pro football, well technically started last night, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll admit it.
Speaker 1: Pro Rogan looked pretty good, Aaron Rodgers looked pretty good. My New York Jets absolutely smoked the enemies from up north, the New England Patriots, twenty four to three at Jet Life Stadium.
Speaker 2: And Aaron Rodgers looked good.
Speaker 1: Man, he just did.
Speaker 2: There's no other way around it.
Speaker 1: And as a Jet fan, you kind of love to see it, and you hope that it lasts, so the Jets handle the Patriots. Unfortunately, most of the news right now concerning the pro football cycle coming up for Week three in the NFL are injuries. We'll keep you up to date throughout the course of the show today as far as any of the breaking news that comes down, But there are a ton of injuries in the NFL, more than we typically see. It feels very Dare I say load management ish as they do in pro basketball?
Speaker 2: I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: But Week three the NFL gets rolling last night and a bunch of great games. Obviously a lot of attention around here, a lot of attention on this show. For the first time at the University of Utah will play as a charter member up well, not charter, but a member of the Big Twelve. They travel the Still Water to take on Okay stay tomorrow two o'clock Mountain Time. Our pregame covers with Porter Larsen and Jordan win live at Bout Time pub Ordan Landings will begin at ten o'clock. So go grab some brunch, grab some food, get ready for the Utah game. Then after the youths are done, it's BYU's turn. They take on k State Rayl Salt Lake back in action tomorrow seven thirty America first Field and Sandy taking on the Portland Timbers. Portland got the best of RSL back in July. Three to no was the final score. Butt RSL looking to continue their climb up the Western Conference, where currently they are in second place. The Utah Hockey Club makes their way to Saint Louis to take on the Blues. Then they're going to host the Kings in preseason action. Few preseason games prior to the October eighth opener when the Chicago black the black Hawks are in town. So pro hockey is a reality show. Hey o, Toddy made history last night. My goodness, what a year he has had. What a night he had last night. So a ton to do on a Friday afternoon. We'll start things off with Pablo mas Joentni for some RSL. Andy Larson makes his tround for a return to the program. I haven't caught up with Andy for quite some time. If you miss Shan's conversation with Cameron Rising, we'll bring that back to you. In preparation for the Utah game tomorrow. Chris Comraddi from the Athletic wrote a great piece on Cam this week. Former Robert Johnson stops by, So we have a lot to do on a Friday. Pablo mash Errounni, Andy Larson, Cam Rising, Chris Comaraddi, Robert Johnson, be Spence check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson on a Friday afternoon. How's your Friday pale? Ready for the weekend?
Speaker 3: I am, I am. Friday's gone. Well, it is beautiful outside? Is that Chamber of Commerce day?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're getting at?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a perfect Salt Lake City day. Okay, that's what that means. It's like seventy five and so sunny. I mean, this is why people pay a ton of taxes and deal with wokeness to live in California.
Speaker 3: Okay, it is a beautiful day.
Speaker 1: It is a beautiful day outside.
Speaker 2: They are woke in California, right? Is that the update?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: I think there, Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: If you want to, if you want to get into defining stuff today, can we can go there?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: They have weather like every day and we don't. So I like to enjoy it when we have it.
Speaker 3: I and we're of course discussing. This is going to still Water this weekend, not the coast of California. It'll be an adjustment for some Pac twelve fans that are making their first road trip to the Big twelve. But I am very much looking forward to that on the football side of things, because I think that'll be a really fun environment in still Water. And uh yeah, we'll we'll be covering it live and looking forward to some soccer this weekend as well. So good Friday show to come.
Speaker 1: We have Misbehave on the clock today, so let's jump into it before we catch up with Pablo today courtousy of our friends at Standard Restaurant Supply. It's your tailgate headquarters. Check them out at Standard restaurant dot com or head on down to thirty five hundred South and West Temple get the best tailgate in town with Standard Restaurants Supply. On a Friday afternoon, It's time now for your opening tip. You've got a tune to.
Speaker 6: The Drive, which Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check it's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple, So.
Speaker 2: Utah heads to still Water.
Speaker 1: Well, they're already there, but the rest of you nation will converge upon Boone Picken Stadium. Very curious to see how many youth fans make the trip. We've talked a lot about this throughout the course of the off season. When the Big twelve became the reality and the PAC twelve was left in the rear view mirror. I think it's safe to say, at least I can only speak for myself, excuse me, is that in the PAC twelve footprint, it seemed like Ute fans traveled really well as the experience went on. I think early on, you know, in the PAC twelve, people try to kind of get a feel for what it's all about. But as Utah started to find their footing in the PAC twelve, when they started to compete and then even win conference championships, go to Rose Bulls and such, the Ute fan footprint spread out pretty wide around here, at least around these parts, and in the PAC twelve foot print I'm curious to see what it looks like tomorrow and stillwater. How many people are actually making that trip. It's not a destination city. It's not an easy place to get to. It is more of a land figured out, go to the game and then get out of Dodge, as opposed to some of the other cities in the PAC twelve where a lot of Youte fans who I know would go to watch the game then say for another three or four days because there are destination places. That's not the deal in the new conference. We've talked about ad nauseum. So how many fans are going to be there at boone Picken Stadium. Interesting thing for me to watch now, Just so you know, the line has moved back towards Utah. So we talked about this yesterday because two nights ago, on Wednesday night, it definitely was odd to see that line go from Utah minus two to Oka se minus two and e excuse me, yeah, Okay State, not Okay see Okay State minus two and a half. That line moved more and a half points in the matter of about two and a half hours. And that doesn't mean nothing, but the fact that it's moved back towards the University of Utah probably should alleviate the fears, at least as of now, and it's the one thing that's on everybody's mind right now. Is at a golf tournament earlier today with small college friends, and same question was asked, is camp playing? What's the deal? What's the deal? You know? We've been follow online, what's going on? New cycle? It's hard to ascertain anything, you know other than what's been reported. And what I can tell you is what I've been told, and what I feel like everybody around here has been told is simply that Cam is playing, and we don't know what the deal is until he steps under center. I would be shocked. If you know Utah opening kick, what have you? First possession? For the utes the offense rolls out onto the field, I'd be stunned if number seven wasn't running out there with him. Now, if he doesn't, we have to have a conversation about what that means, because it's probably not related to a lacerated hand. It's probably not related to a cut on his throwing hand or just some uncomfortable things going on with his finger. His finger would have healed by now. An a laceration would have been at least healed enough for him to be able to go out and give it a go. If he's not playing tomorrow it's not because of the hand, then that's when the news gets a little bit tenuous. But we can't operate off hypotheticals. We can only talk about what we know as far as what's in front of us. And my guess is Cam is going to play.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We'll give you our pick before we say gag night at six, as we do every Friday, We'll give you a six pack of picks. You do with it what you would like. As I say every day, do not gamble on sports. You work too hard for your money. Keep it in your pocket, keep it in your bank account. I am very confident that if Cam Rising is under center, Utah wins and the covers and I'm not even and they cover it, I'm not even sure it's going to be all that uncomfortable. Okay, State third worst in the country at giving up chunk plays. Okay, twenty plays allowed of twenty five yards or more, and Utah has the ability to create a bunch of chunk plays that Cam's under center. If Isaac's under center, it's different Oklahoma State. So far, offensively, they've been balanced because ultimately they've had to be teams are stacking the box to stop Olli Gordon and Bowman. Their quarterback has been around for as long as Cameron has been. They were both in the class of twenty eighteen. Highest ranked quarterback in their class was Trevor Lawrence. These two have been around for a long long time. I'm not saying this is going to be easy. I'm saying my confidence level in Utah to win this game if Cam's under center is very high. We'll give you a specific pick later on in the show. What does the conversation sound like next week if Utah comes home with that dub Well, I think it sounds like Utah has put themselves in the driver's seat to at least compete to win this conference. I'm not gonna say they're gonna win the conference after four weeks. This is probably, as of now, the hardest game on the schedule by far.
Speaker 2: You guys probably know it.
Speaker 1: Utah has been a little bit fortunate this year with some of the scheduling stuff they avoid k State Okay State has to go on the road to play Kansas State, and there're gonna be some tricky games. Excuse me, They're gonna be some tricky games, for sure. This is on paper as of now. The biggest test that Youthes have to pass in order to have a road ahead of them that should they handle their business, they should be right in the mix of this thing at the end. To win the conference, go to the conference championship and therefore go to the CFP. So that to me is what the conversation will sound like next week. If Utah is able to get to win real quick. What will the conversation sound like if BYU is able to beat K State on Saturday night? It's a big night Saturday Night in Provo. We got a whiteout. We got a white out unlike other games at Lavelle Edwards Stadium. It's actually gonna be a wide out. They're giving away alternate cougar tails. You can get a nice vanilla frosted cougartail as opposed to the typical maple frosted cougartail. A white out and an alternate cougar tail. Porter Saturday night in Provo is gonna get weird.
Speaker 3: Let's be clear, I am quite excited about the vanilla it sounds much more appetizing on the cougartail specifically than the maple.
Speaker 1: Just just somebody needs to get a hold of whoever's in charge of game promotions and just be like, let's not do the white out anymore, Like, let's just not do it other than we'd usually do it anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't think they need to lean into.
Speaker 1: It, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess they don't have the black uniforms okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So it's a big night, big Saturday night in Provo. BYU is a touchdown underdog seven points of the line as of now. The conversation for BYU next week, if they get this win, will sound like, hey, we're a top twenty five team. They're probably gonna move into the top twenty five and potentially, depending on results, they'll be one of maybe three or four, depending on results, maybe four or five, but they'll be maybe four or five undefeated Big twelve champion you know Big twelve teams left that could be considered Big twelve championship contenders.
Speaker 2: The hard part for.
Speaker 1: BYU is, even if they get this win, it's not going to sound the same way it will for Utah.
Speaker 2: Because BYU schedule is a bear.
Speaker 1: You know, it's k State, then it's at Baylor, it's home against Arizona. They get Okay State, they're at UCF, They're at Utah, They're home against Kansas, They're at Arizona State. Like, even if BYU gets this win, if Utah gets the win, I do think people are gonna be talking about a path for the conference championship. If BYU gets the win, I think people will be talking about a team it's really overachieved, that's down the top twenty five and has a chance to do something nobody thought they would do. At three and oh, they're halfway to Bowl eligibility. I picked them to win six games. If they win on Saturday night with an alternate cougartail during a wide out, we'll have to change the conversation we have about BYU. All right, back to college football coming up, coming up in a bit, But a big game for RSL as Portland is in town after a nice one on Wednesday. They're head coach Pablo Mashchuretti start things off. Starts things off on a Friday afternoon, So keep it right here. He missed Cam Rising earlier today. He and Sean chopped it up for a little bit. The conversation with Cam the Cam Rising Reports.
Speaker 2: We'll bring that back around.
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of intrigue on whether or not Cam's going to play Tomorrow'll leave it up to you. You can listen to the interview and then see what you think. Chris Camarondie from the Athletic Robert Johnson former YOUT so plenty of college football yet to come with a big match coming up tomorrow here in the market, Portland is in town to take on URSLF. Our next guest is the head coach of Rayal sal Lake. It's been a minute since we caught up with a great Pablo Mas joinning. Pablo, Happy Friday, brother, how we doing?
Speaker 5: Happy Friday? Sprint's doing well? About you?
Speaker 2: All good here?
Speaker 1: All good here, beautiful day and vibes are good right now as you guys bounce back to get that win on Wednesday. What did you like most, Pablo about the way you guys were able to respond after losing the match to Houston last weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I think it was a fantastic performance. More so from the mentality perspective. I think with all this change and a couple you know, uh, factors that were beyond our control.
Speaker 5: There's there's, there's.
Speaker 7: Been this, and the way the schedule has been where we've only had a few games in the last couple of months. You know, I think we've lost our way a little bit from a mindset perspective, And I think everything starts and ends with the way you approach the game as an individual and how that permes.
Speaker 5: Into the collective.
Speaker 7: And I think the guys that that that played on Wednesday did a great job of pressing the right way, attacking the right way, but more importantly, playing as a team and and doing it for one another. And I think that's what kind of evaded us against Houston and against San Jose, which was another game where I felt like we weren't playing for the group. So, you know, I think it's, uh, it's it's important to understand that, and more so for the for the players that are coming in from other countries and joining the group this late in the season. It's it's it's got to be clear to them what we represent and what we stand for. Above the tactics, above the technique, above individual performance on game day is who are we as a group and what I'm grateful for is that type of performance with that result hopefully cements that that mantra that we're doing this for the team.
Speaker 1: You know what, I was going to ask you a question about Houston, but it's Friday, it's seventy five degrees, and I don't want him, so I'm not gonna We're gonna move on from it. Okay, But here's I want to ask you a couple of things about the Dallas match. And I've talked to you before about the process you have in place for penalty kicks and who steps up and why and all that stuff. And I suppose if chi Cho's out there, it's chie Jo and maybe some other options as well. And we know that Vera's got a canon. I'm not saying he should not have been the guy. I'll just speak for myself. I was a little bit surprised, So take us through the thought process or just the mindset, whatever unfolded. It allowed Vera to step up to the spot, and obviously he converted.
Speaker 7: Yeah. No, I think you know, over the last year and a half, you know, been able to to watch Vera in these moments. And the one thing I think is really important Spence and I think you have nail on the head if Chiechjo's out there. This is not this is not even a conversation. But it was one of the few times where we had a penalty kick and and Chicho wasn't on the field. And and so for me, the one thing I know that I'm going to get from Vera when you go to a free kick or a penalty kick in this case, is that there is zero doubt in his mind. In other words, he's not trying to see where the goalie's going to lean. He's not he's not overthinking it, where I think an attacking player might be trying to play a little bit of cat mouse, a little bit like Chiecho does. And I think when you as a coach, when you know what you're going to get, regardless of the end result, at least you know that he went in there into that situation full of confidence and belief. And and again, if there's one guy on our team that I wouldn't want to stand in front of twelve yards out, it's it's Brian Vera, and so again, a fantastic fish. But but yeah, so and again it's it's not that it's not I mean, obviously, in today's game, it's obviously the nine that takes it, right, But you know, even growing up and playing myself, there there was times when center backs took it because again there's not this weight of expectation. They just go up and knock the ball in the corner. So but hopefully Chijo will be on the field for the next one for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, you often talk about life and soccer and sport defined by individual moments. What did you make of that moment when Anderson Julio and you know, it's funny, Pablo. I watched the replay and he didn't even look up. I mean, he must have. He must have been seeing tendencies from the keeper prior to that opportunity, because he just got the ball and then had a nice little touch and turned around and and right when he hit it.
Speaker 2: But it's funny.
Speaker 1: My first response was he underhit it, like I didn't think he got enough of it.
Speaker 2: But right, and maybe you can help me understand.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing that players do they notice maybe five or ten minutes prior to oh wait, he is creeping up if I get it, because he didn't look up, he didn't turn around, did he just one touched and he struck it. Would you make in that moment?
Speaker 7: No, I think again, I think that's individual brilliance. You know, over the last two years, we've had you know, Chicho do it this year, Pablo just do it last year and now and though and I think it's a multiple of things. One, it's obviously individual brilliance to be aware that that is happening, which is a great thing because again in soccer, it's about understanding where everyone is at all times and then making the best decision available to you. So his ability to understand that the goalkeeper is playing off.
Speaker 5: His line.
Speaker 7: Is awesome on Ada's part. And then the execution, which is very difficult from that distance to your point, how do you gauge a sixty yard ball? And the funny thing is that in training, not one training goes by where these guys, especially attacking players, aren't picking out a goal out in the distance and they're like, okay, one hop into that goal, you know. So like, I don't know if that's subconstantly training it, but it's definitely something that we don't go over. That's a low quality chance. So we don't even talk about that. But I think The reason why you're seeing this more and more all over the world is twofold one teams want to press higher up the field, which means the most goalies are playing like a sweeper keeper, right, so they're protecting the space behind, and that's kind of what happened in that particular play. And the other part is is a lot of teams are using goalkeepers and builds, so now they're you know, playing twenty five yards out from goals, so if you steal a ball, these moments are more readily available than they were back when I was playing in you know, nineties and eighties and these kind of things were goalkeepers were just goalkeepers. So the more that they're becoming more field players and have more responsibilities with the ball and defending the line, that is extremely high. I think these moments will continue to present themselves, all right.
Speaker 1: So we're learning about some of these new players, and I do have a question in a moment about the macro situation of getting them accustomed to what you want them to do. But that run up the right side from Dominic mark Zuk and the cross and Anderson Julio, that was art man.
Speaker 2: That was brilliant start to finish.
Speaker 1: I mean the problem is the highlights later on, Like the highlight shows just showed the cross, but the turn the run. I mean, that was one of the first times that I mean, I haven't seen him play much, but that should indicate to RSL fans that there's some quality with this young kid. What do you so? Two part question, What did you make of that snapshot moment? And what can you share with us about how he's looked from a macro standpoint?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I would even rewhinded a little further because it was actually a great team goal where Justin Glad plays it out to Phil Quinton, he gets pressured and he zips the ball out to Dom and Dom just an individual play that is just awesome. And these kind of moments are exactly what we saw in the video when we were scouting him from Poland, is his ability to make good decisions on the endline and then have the quality to pick out the best option with the right way to pass. And that's exactly what he did on that goal. So I think, and I don't know if you saw his reaction to it, it was like, thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this. You know, he was so excited, obviously for the team but himself because I think some of the there's a lot of doubt when you're going from league to league and you're a really young player and you don't have a lot of experience. So it couldn't have come at a better time for for Dom and his integration to the group, and and the other thing it's really important for for our forwards, you know, and and and chi Cho to understand is that he has now shown his quality to find the nine in the box. And so once you have that, now the idea is, can we get our nines playing more central, more more close around the goal because now we have a player that can finds you in these areas. And then you know, I think for us, you know, after Andre's left, it's really about who, you know, how long is it going to take for these younger players to accomate newer players. And you know, we played lockey out there. He did a really good job, but he likes to come inside on his left foot. And now we saw in this game that Dom did a really good job. And I'll also say the work that he did defensively was awesome, really high level stuff that usually takes a lot of time, but he did a really good job of making it difficult for that whole right side. So I feel like it's these kind of moments that, you know, bring a lot of belief into the individual, and I think given his performance, brings a lot of belief to the group.
Speaker 1: All Right, help me understand what happened with the HAYESUSA free kick, because I still am confused. Now. It was a hell of a strike actually by him, but I don't know, Like if I was playing FIFA, I would have thrown my control roller instead. You're cheating, I felt. I felt like that was my reaction. I'm like, you're cheating, I'm resetting the xbox. What happened there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it was.
Speaker 7: It was strange, and again it's it's so interesting. These are all things that we talk about in the preseason, that we hit on, and if you don't get hurt by it somewhere along the somewhere along the regular season, then you don't really bring it up because it's almost like a known action. Right, So when when Krootsy commits the foul, the first thing you do when it's around the goal is the person that foul the player is stands in front of the ball and he waits for the referee to say back up. So one, when you do that, you you buy time for the rest of the group to set up behind it, whether you're going to go with a line to defend a wide free kick, or you're going to set up a wall, and and so then the other part of that is Gab setting up the setting and trying to set up a wall, a two man wall. But there's no one in front of the ball, and I think it's it's just a great earning opportunity for Gab. Is like, you can't set anyone up or prepare to set anyone up if there's no one there. Right, You've got to protect the goal because at any point unless the referee says on the whistle, and that usually happens when you have someone stand on the ball and they the referee has to mark off ten yards and so then the referee goes okay on the whistle, and now we can start setting up and all these things. So, like you said, it was a video game moment that rarely happens, and one that is that will never happen again with our group.
Speaker 1: So you reference something after the game, And I wanted to dig into this a little bit because we've talked a lot, talk to Jay about this week about the system that you've been wanting to implement, and you started to implement the system in the offseason and carried over with some excellent results, and you were playing a lot more in possession. And when you guys are in possession, it feels like you're really dangerous, and sometimes when you're chasing it a little bit, it feels like you're very vulnerable. And the message that you sent, at least via pregame was we want to play in possession, we want to keep the ball, but when we lose the ball, it's eleven dogs after the ball. And you looked at the camera and you winked a little bit, okay, and so you could see, like, you know, I like your facial expression. You know, you could you could see what you were saying is this is how I used to play, and I want my players to play this way. And it's kind of a consistent theme in our conversations is do you guys have the force and the bite to go win something special?
Speaker 2: Because you have to have force and bite to do that.
Speaker 1: So how do you how do you kind of translate that message to your players, and how do you feel like it's been received? You know, when you're not in possession, do everything you can to get the ball back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know. I again, I attribute a lot of this to the fact that there's been so much change within the group and it's gonna you know, and all the different dynamics that come about with like the guys that are still here with new guys coming in, and it's just like it's such a turbulent time and then you're not getting the results, and so it's like, how do we peel all this back and talk about under the hood, what does it look like? Who are we like? What makes us go? Because again we've talked a lot about in possession, but for me, mentality always stems from the way you defend. And why defending for me is so important is because it's this most selfless act you can do in professional sports. Right, The selfish acts are wanting to be the guy in front of the goal, Right, that's easy, Like, that's what you know. The hard thing is is a forward tracking somebody back thirty or forty yards, a pivot chasing someone to the sideline, you know, a tense sprinting out of the line to put pressure on the ball. Like these things are all selfless, because at the end of the day, the attackers just want to attack. But what we've learned about our group is what got us in a good run of form, was we were very dangerous with the ball, but we were really really difficult to play against when we didn't have the ball because we were just putting pressure on the first guy, pressure on the second guy, the guy that the back line was able to step up and put real pressure. And so what I've seen in the last probably you know, two or three games, particularly the San Jose home game and the Houston away game, was this like we're gonna wait for the guys back there to win the ball and then they can just give it to us. And so we're playing with like six dogs, right, And so it just makes sense that when you have eleven dogs working for each other, and and more in particular, the front four working hard for the team, those guys in the back will sell their souls to the devil to do whatever it takes to give those guys the ball when they see them working that hard. However, the foot part of that, if they don't work hard from the defensive standpoint.
Speaker 5: Up front, the.
Speaker 7: Lack of predictability breeds so much doubt within the whole team that you end up not being good without the ball, and then when you get it, there's so much doubt you're not good with the ball, and it becomes a cycle. And so when we when we get pressure on the ball at all times, we are present minded. This guy goes, this guy covers, this guy goes, this guy covers, and it's like you're just playing from a place to flow. When you're not getting pressure on the ball, everyone is guessing what the next guy is going to do because there's no real clear trigger to make play predictable for the guys behind. And so when you have a game like we had against Dallas, where it was really front foot defensive, you end up scoring three goals, right, And granted there were strange goals. There are anomalies in a lot of ways, but that's what I feel like the game gives you because you're almost it's like a self fulfilling propsty. We're going to be on the front foot, we're going to be aggressive, and with that comes the ball in the attacking half. With that comes with loose balls being one closer to their goal, and so that's that's got to be who we are. So that is clear to the guys that are coming into the group. These are the expectations, These are the standards, regardless of the positions. Where eleven dogs. When we have it, play play to your quality and everyone's got different qualities. But when we don't have it, you're one of the dogs that we need to make sure we get that ball back.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to say it was the most impressive individual moment because I thought, obviously Anderson's goal was nuts in that run up the up the flank by Mark Zuke and Lacrosse was pretty pretty brilliant. But the goal that Diogo had that was called back, I rewound that and watched it like five times, like that was a skill check.
Speaker 2: Now it was off size, it didn't count.
Speaker 1: But you know, all these new players, we're all trying to get to know him a little bit. In that moment right there, I think for a lot of people, even though it was called back, was another indicator that you might have something special on your hands. How's the project coming along? Trying to ingratiate Diogo into what you want to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, it's he Listen. He's a fantastic player. He's a fantastic teammate. And I think with him within our with just coming to MLS in Europe, you have a more I don't want to say sophisticated, but there's a lot more respect with teams, Like there's very few teams in Europe that high press the way we do, and in our league, everyone high presses, right, So in Europe it's more like, oh, you have the ball, we'll drop back by midfield and we'll find gaps. What he's brilliant at is finding the space between the lines to receive. And he's a technician, and I think that play that you're talking about is case in point. Diego has an eye for goal, Diego has a technique to be able to execute it. I think the transition between the two leagues is how do I create that kind of space for myself where in Europe it would be very available, where a lot of times in the MLS is helter skelter in and around goal, and so in Europe you might be able to turn in that pocket. And in the MLS, for whatever reason, there's a guy that's waiting to just smash you, and so you don't have as much space in and around goal that I feel like you can find at times in Europe. And so there's no doubt in my mind that Diego is going to be a top player for this team. I think the challenge for myself and the staff is always thinking about how can we put our group that understands clearly what we want in this moment now whilst bringing these guys along and in a role that that allows him to understand the mentality the tactics so that they can fully execute their technique versus you know, square peg, round hole. It's not it's not clicking quite yet, but that's fine. It's not his fault that we you know, we got here with seven games left. That's just life. And now it's our job is to try to find that that that that connection between he's a really special player and you know, he plays really well with this kind these three guys, but struggles a little bit with this guy against this type of system, and so there's still a you know, a learning curve to go. But there is no doubt in my mind that Diego is a special player and that and that will just need a little bit of time to transition to, you know, to being the guy.
Speaker 1: I have before you set you lose your win combined with like a ridiculous amount of results that win ourselves way, which is awesome on Wednesday, bumps you up to second. No rest for the weary. Portland is in town tomorrow. They're the highest scoring team in the West and second only to Miami with sixty goals scored. So according to the numbers, they score a lot of goals and they give up a lot of goals. That's what's in front of me. So tell me about Portland, Pablo, what do you have to do to go get all three tomorrow night?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think you said it. They're they're a team that attacks really well and at times they're you know, they're they're they're poorest in the back, and I think it's really easy against this team to get caught in this transition game, which is they lose the ball and their front four don't necessarily transition to get back behind the ball, and so it's now it's our attack. It might be like say six guys in that transition moment against six of their back guys. The problem is when you don't make good decisions in that moment and you give the ball up, and now it's four versus four in the back in our in our defensive half. Those four players are some of the most dynamic.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: They're they're they're all people not only creating goal scoring opportunities for the teammates, but they're all very good one v one attackers. And so for us, it's it's going to take a little bit of you know, sophistication. Even if we can go to goal, if the numbers aren't great or if the space isn't wide open, we almost have to wait for our team to get forward and set up camp in their attacking half to force these attack to force third attacking players to get back and defend. It's it's almost counterintuitive as to how we want to how we normally play. But given that there's such a unique team and they're very dangerous, we don't want this to be an open game. We don't want this to be a transition game. We want to be able to dictate the game with the ball and be very tight and put out fires when that we have to. If we have to give up a foul, you know, when we lose the ball. Then that's better, so we can get numbers behind the ball and let them beat us with eleven versus beat us four v four. But I feel like, you know, if we have the right mindset, we can we can get a couple of goals, and if we're just defensively savvy, I feel good about our chances.
Speaker 1: I'm considering coming out, but I need to guarantee that you're gonna win.
Speaker 2: If I'm going to drive out to Sandy.
Speaker 7: Let's go, Spence.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 7: I'll put it out there, man.
Speaker 1: This game, I love it all right. Always good chat with you, man, Go get three chairing for you. Okay?
Speaker 5: Like what thanks?
Speaker 1: PLO Masterronie Head, Coach of RSL, Brought to you today by Big O Tires get our Healthy Car Special for fifty nine to ninety five, which includes a conventional oil change, checks on alignments, breaks, batteries, and more. We want to keep our customers safe on the road and help them save money on tires and service. There's always something on sale Big O Tires. Stop into any of our fifty locally owned and operated locations in Utah or schedule an appointment online. We know tires and service can be an unexpected expense, so Big O Tires wants to make sure you have the financing options to keep your vehicle in tip top shape. We have no credit needed, financing options to fit any budget and any situation. Big O Tires has fifty locally owned and operated locations in Utah. Visit big otires dot com to find a location near you. I got Chris com Roddie stopping by from the Athletic. He wrote a good piece on Cam Rising this week, so we'll do some Utah football and some other stuff with c K. He's got a very exciting project in the works, but I have been told it's embargoed, so we're not allowed to talk about it. Robert Johnson, former Utah safety stops by as well. If you missed Cam Rising, he hopped on Sean Show earlier. Of course, a lot of conversation about whether or not Cam is going to go. I maintained that he will play coming up tomorrow and still Water, so stay tuned for all that. But joining us now usually a very consistent guest throughout the course of the basketball season, but Andy Larson good enough to give us some time on a Friday afternoon, Andy, Happy Friday, buddy, how we doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good man, doing well, doing well. Here's where I want to start.
Speaker 1: It feels like our guy fulk over at the Trip has really started to kind of remake that newsroom with the new beat writers for BYU and Utah and now the Utah Hockey Club. All three have been on this show and will be on this show. So what's it been like over there as you guys are kind of trying to kind of remake some things and tell us about these these new faces here in the market.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, it's been cool. I you know, Aaron was out of town earlier this week, so I kind of was subbing for him in that sports editor role at the Trip and got a chance to like really work with these new writers on all their stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: Like I mean, Jason I think has done some really incredible work on the U S feat with the Morgan Scalley story earlier this week. You know, got one on ones with Kyle Whittingham and and Mike Gundy this week ahead of this game and talking about their their past as coaches. You know, the two twenty year coaches left in college football playing each other this week. I think that's an interesting angle that It's pretty remarkable that, you know, a relatively new voice in the market can can get and so quickly. You know, I think Kevin's done an awesome job on the Bwayu job and just kind of his hustle from a reporting interview and getting and breaking news that no one else has in in Byu despite you know, I don't know that by you is a huge fan of the Soltic Tribune, and yet Kevin's breaking these stories and then fell you know, started Monday and already has four stories out there about the Utah Hockey Club and media day in training camp, and you know, her writing's great, and she's so enthusiastic about hockey and really knows the sport growing up in New York and Boston as a as a big hockey.
Speaker 4: Lifer, you know.
Speaker 8: So like, it's been really cool to have a full section of sports, you know, sports nerds in the Tribune office that that allow us to do some really good reporting. And I let you know, everyone says this and it's cliche, but I am, legit super excited about what the Tribune sports department is right now and what it's going to be for the next few years.
Speaker 1: So as as simply a Utah not just the jazz b writer data columnist from the Utah Jazz. Because we were talking about this earlier in the we you know obviously, and I do want to talk about the Bees. You know, they're leaving. This is the last week of Bees baseball. But we have pro hockey now. We have really grown into this. I don't even want to say underrated anymore. Just this really solid college football market over the past decade or so, the Jazz or the Jazz RSL's RSL. And we'll see what the Millers are able to do to bring Major League Baseball here. But how would you articulate the growth not just economically or just simply people moving here, but simply from a sports and entertainment market that you've seen since you gotten into this business, what ten twelve years ago?
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, I mean I think it's wildly different. I mean it's when you go, you know, out of town or overseas, people know Utah because of Utah Jazz and those battles with the Chicago Bulls. But I think that's now expanding a little bit, you know, So it's not either just the Jazz or the Olympics. It's now you do have the hockey club, now you do have college football, and the use making a name in that space, you know, obviously having done what they did in the past, and I think still a player in that. I think BAU basketball is going to be a big player in the national.
Speaker 4: Scene this year.
Speaker 8: And then yeah, you mentioned kind of the possibility of getting a major League baseball team. It's it's more, it's more important and more diverse than I feel like it has been ever and certainly you know, in my time kind of paying attention to it. So you know, it was kind of going through as I wrote that Bees article you mentioned, like going through the old newspaper clips from the you know, nineteen twenties, nineteen fifties and so on, when you know, baseball was the biggest thing, and we were just kind of talking about like how the Cincinnati Reds did every week. It's not that anymore. Now Utah can really like compete on its own and now it's Utah stuff making a difference in other places newspapers, and I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So let's move over to the Bees. You know, we had Tony and Studio to try to get people out to the ballpark and You didn't pull punches, and that's what I like about you. You rarely do. You didn't mince words. And I talked to you when the news broke that the Bees were leaving and heading south, and I'll say the same thing today that I said.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 1: We're all going to react to this news about, you know, the Bees moving as far as how it affects us personally.
Speaker 2: I live in the Capital City, so.
Speaker 1: To you, and I don't want it to move because I like going to Bees games and it's close by. As you point out in your piece, they'll find fans, they're going to find an audience. It's just gonna be a different audience, and it's just gonna be weird because I have, like you, so many memories of going to those games way back in college, taking my son and going there with friends and dates and all the things. Your thoughts as the Bees leave us here in the Capital City head south and tell our listeners kind of what motivated you to write what you wrote?
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, Like it's it's sad, you know, and that doesn't mean that it's not okay. And you know that it won't be a good thing for people who live in the South and west corner of our Velly. But like you know, baseball was on the corner of thirteen South and West Temple for ninety eight years. You know, in nineteen twenty six, Community Fields or Community Park opened up for minor league baseball, and since then, minor league baseball has been played on that corner. And it's sad that, you know, Miller ownership is moving away from that history to you know, land that they own. I think they have kind of consistently moved away from that history, whether by be by selling the Jazz you know, closing the Tuila Motorsports Park, selling the dealerships. I mean, right now, the Miller company is largely about making real estate money and money in senior living houses, right Like, It's not a sexy business they're running right now. It's not a passionate business. And they're running right now. It's really I think about the bottom line, and I think that is reflected in their move away from again, where baseball has been played for one hundred years. I mean, doing the research for the story, it's kind of incredible how much has happened here. I mean, like Babe Ruth played at the ballpark, Willie May's played at the ballpark. The longest home run in sat Cast history was hit at the ballpark by Joe Adell a couple of years back, five hundred and fifteen feets. I mean, the longest winning streak in baseball history was set by the Trappers back in the eighties when Bill Murray on the team. There's some really cool stuff that happened a corner and it's just I think it's sad, you know. I think it's sad that the team is moving. And that doesn't mean it's a you know, it will benefit other people, and it doesn't mean that the Millers are evil, but it means that we are losing something significant and that I think we're allowed to mourn that. I think we're allowed to be disappointed and sad about what we're losing, kind of that connection to a community, connection to a history that we won't get back by having a new park open up in.
Speaker 1: Daybreak, any update, I haven't heard anything in a while. We had Steve starkson studio that must be a year and a half ago now, but I.
Speaker 2: Haven't heard anything in a while.
Speaker 1: As far as traction towards getting a major League Baseball team here in our market. Is there any update in that direction, Andy.
Speaker 8: None that I've heard, and none that's been reported in the last few months. I mean, they're so interested in doing so. You know, I obviously have an interest in the A's, but the biggest interest is in a Major League Baseball deciding to expand. And their formal word on the topic is that they are not currently.
Speaker 9: Looking to expand.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, all right, let's move over here.
Speaker 1: Let's move over here. What sort of, if any, effect do you think the potential Let's see, how do I say this, the potential underwhelming Jazz season ahead. Potential underwhelming Jazz season ahead, That's how I'll put it.
Speaker 2: What effect, if any, do you think the potential.
Speaker 1: Underwhelming Jazz season ahead will have on the interest with his local hockey club? Because, look, they're not going to win the Stanley Up this year. But the more and more I kind of dig into it, read about it, listen to some of these previews, I think they're in a good spot.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be entertaining.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to be fun, and they're further along and they're rebuild project than the Jazz are, and part of me feels like they're much further along with a much better plan in place than the Jazz are right now, do you think we'll see Jazz fans potentially disenfranchised at the I don't know the direction or lack of direction whatever you want to say. Uh, and maybe head over and find a different home with the Utah Hockey Club this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think from a TV ratings point of view, especially you know, I think, you know, the UTA Hockey Club will sell out every game. I think the Jazz will get close to selling out of the game, but I you know, ultimately it's going to be kind of what gets the casual fans going, and I don't think the Jazz will the hockey club. Meanwhile, has you know, according to Vegas about a thirty three to forty percent chance of making the playoffs, you know, and and you know, I's we ask the Vegas odds of what likely the Jazz of making them playoffs. We're at the one two five percent range, right. So Look, I think this market is you know, certainly loves the Jazz and but also has proven time and time again that they will turn their eyeballs to winning franchises or competitive franchises. And it's I think relatively clear right now, and that at least looking ahead, the hockey club is going to be better than the Jazz are next year, and I think casual eyeballs will turn to that, you know, casual eyeballs will turn to whatever other sporting events there are maybe just not sports at all if they're you know, the Jazz aren't interesting. So look, you know, I don't expect a ton of empty seats in the Delta Center next year at Jazz games. I think there's still like a substantial season ticket base that prevents that. I think there's still you know, a substantial number of fans that will will nearly fill that building kind of no matter what. But there's no doubt that the enthusiasm is way low for this season. I mean the lowest that I've seen it in all my time.
Speaker 5: On the beat.
Speaker 8: And yeah, you know, as a result, I think it's going to be pretty natural that fans, especially in the first half of the season when college football is available, tune into that, tune into the hockey rather than tune into what's going to be a I think a pretty mediocre product on the court.
Speaker 1: Do you have any information or knowledge of you know, it's just a tough ask, and they do it in other cities, So maybe this is us just growing up. But you know, if you're a Jazz season ticket holder and you get the email about buying season tickets for the Utah Hockey Club, I know several people that have chosen one or the other.
Speaker 2: I know a few that are gonna do both.
Speaker 1: But there are legitimate questions about not just is there enough money to go around from the consumers and the fans. Is there enough support from corporate sponsorships? Is there enough money from businesses and corporations for the folks over you know, under the Smith umbrella who have been tasked with some very audacious goals to be able to hit those goals on the corporate spose ship side and the ticket sales side as well. Any information about how that project is going and are they you know, are they going to be able to pull this off with both entities to make sure that both entities can hit their goals.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean, they're charging a ton of money for hockey tickets, right, I think so they're getting some money from that, you know, in terms of corporate sponsorships, I don't know. I know that the Jazz had moved up a lot in the Smith era in terms of that, because they were really able to kind of tap into Utah's texting and get much higher sponsorship rates than they had kind of in the Miller era, especially kind of earlier middle in the Miller era. So you know, my early impressions are that they have, you know, have done well in that space. But I couldn't tell you exact numbers, I like if they ranked top twenty, top fifteen, like what we're actually talking about here. I do know, like, look, the collective bargaining agreement of the NBA, especially right now, kind of guarantees that the Jazz and the Smiths are going to make money on this, right, Like if we you know, if we're honest, the Jazz are going into the season next year with the lowest payroll in the NBA. They can pay that off and then some just based on the you know, national TV money alone almost right, Like, it's not going to be close from a money making point of view. The Smiths are going to be just fine. From from that point of view, I guess I'm not worried about that at all. From you know, if you're worried about how much are going to spend on payroll or whatever. Whether or not these businesses are are viable, they absolutely are because the clips of bargaining agreements of both leagues have really made sure that every team is going to make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's, uh, let's move over into the space of, you know, ultimately a quick little jazz thought as we actually know before we do that, because I saw this on your Twitter timeline and I know it's been talked about. So for our listeners that may have missed it, the Smith Entertainment Group did announce the streaming options at the disposal of the fans for both the Hockey Club and the Jazz Get the details, Andy, Yeah.
Speaker 8: So three different streaming options. You got your Jazz Plus from last season now, a Utah Hockey Club Plus and an SEG plus, which just basically combines bolls. It's seventy dollars a month for the Hockey club, one hundred and twenty five dollars a month, or sorry, one hundred seventy dollars a year for the Hockey club, one hundred and twenty five dollars a year for Jazz Plus. Combine them together and it's one hundred and seventy. I believe, if I if I'm remembering the number right on the combined price that's available for fans in Utah and kind of surrounding states. The broadcast range is a lot wider for the Hockey Club than the Jazz, just due to NBA restrictions basically, and that the Smith Entertainment Group sold off some of the broadcast rights in Washington and Idaho to Root Sports up Northwest. But yeah, you know, honestly, if you are familiar with kind of how Jazz Plus works last year, the Hockey Club's streaming service will work pretty much the same as that. And then if you don't want to pay that kind of streaming feed to stream the games online, you can also just get them over the over the air on on antenna broadcast and that's you know, k Jazz channel fourteen for the Jazz and then channel sixteen. I believe it's kup X for for the huck teams.
Speaker 1: All right, one jazz thing, because I I don't know, man like Bowler.
Speaker 2: Bowler.
Speaker 1: Bowler was in studio last week and he was running over his questions about the rotations, and I just wanted to give him a hug, you know, like, I don't want to hear Locke stats about Patty Mills and Drew Eubanks pick and roll in the second half of the third quarter. I just I can't. I'm not gonna be able to do it. So I want to ask you about Will. So CBS Sports released their lists. They do it's off season fodder best you know, best coaches in the NBA that Will at seven?
Speaker 2: Uh it does?
Speaker 1: It does seem like, you know, he is respected across the league with coaches that he has worked for, coaches he's worked with in San Antonio and Boston US US basketball. I watch the Jazz fifty documentary and Will's doing the whole like, Hey, this isn't your grandfather's jazz, and I'm like, oh, okay, so what is your jazz? Because I don't think you know. I don't think they know. But I just wonder, with what you know about him, where you think his mentality is at. And I understand that he has a long term contract. I understand that he was given guaranteed money. I understand that he is part of the process. I get it. But I know coaches, man, and coaches aren't necessarily thrilled about a long game when they are going into a gunfight with a knife every single night. Where do you think his head is at as he enters year three of a project that really, at this point, Andy, if we're honest, does not have a clear line of delineation as to when he is going to be able to go into gym's and have a fair fight with other coaches.
Speaker 2: Where do you think he's at with all this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Look, I mean every conversation I've ever had with Will over the last couple of years about this, he's been as understanding and as forgiving as anyone possibly can be. Even when you know, I'll write something critical about jazz player and He'll be like, yeah, I know, you know it's not news to Will. And I'll be like, okay, then why are you playing? You know, Rudy gay And he was plain x YZ whatever, locker room deal, et cetera. But in the end, like he sees this all as like a multi year ramp up to something else. Now, I think he would have hoped that by year three of his contracts that they would be further along in that rebuild than they are. But I also think that he sees himself as part of the long term process kind of beyond the five year contract, and that in the end, like, I don't know that he wildly disagrees with the moves that the front office has made to get here, you know, And I think, you know, I think a lot of coaches, you're right, would have demanded better talent or try to accelerate the rebuild. And I think Will is pretty understanding. And maybe that's just due to his youth of kind of where the Jazz are. So I guess I I'm less worried about Will than I am about SAYL Lowry Markinen, who you know, has a more limited prime less in his career, where Will can coach until he's sixty, right, and probably be pretty good. So I don't anticipate that being a problem. I you know, I think that the Jazz can retain Will Hardy, and you know, I think he's he's going to be on board. But I do think that, and I think that kind of that kind of patience as an asset, I think he's really pretty well equipped to deal with this, even though you know, I think it's fair to say that, yeah, the first two years UH didn't give him as much fruit for a year three or year four as.
Speaker 9: He might have helped.
Speaker 1: All right, Andie before I said you loose quick, RSL thought the good and the bad? What has Andy Larson's vibes high? And what has Andy Larson concerned the rest of the way.
Speaker 8: I mean, they won on Wednesday and it wasn't a very confident or you know, confidence inspiring win. And you know, I think ultimately the hope is that you know, Diogo gets it together, that some of these new editions end up being worth kind of what they were they.
Speaker 9: Were purchased for.
Speaker 8: But as of now, like the attack looks a little bit sketchy. I think maybe if you start Anderson Julio up top and Techo in the middle, you're you might be better than just starting Teacho up top and Julio off the bench. That's something to consider. And I thought it was really interesting what Jason christ said on a station about how you know no players.
Speaker 9: Place is safe.
Speaker 8: I think there's kind of some real competition for these spots given that some of the bigger money names haven't played that well over the last few months. So you know, there's stuff for them to figure out over the next what four games it is until the playoffs start. But if they do. I think they can get to the heights of of you know, earlier in the year, but there's there and they're not a terrible team as is, they're just an average team. My hope is that you know, they retain a home court playoff advantage, home field advantage, I guess I should say, and you know, make it into the second third round and then as you know, it's soccer or anything can happen. But they're no longer kind of a favorite that I think they were a few months ago.
Speaker 1: What's a handsome, young eligible batcher like Andy Larson doing on a Friday night in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 8: Hanging out with Aaron Falkon then going to the BS game?
Speaker 1: Lovely? Okay, Well, enjoy that teller and we said hello and we'll see us soon. Andy, thanks for the time.
Speaker 4: We'll do.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Andy Larson saw late Tribune. All right, I want to tell you about my friends that Diamond Coat Premium home siding. They're new here along the walls at front. You won't believe what they can do to your home's exterior. Diamond Cote Siding next Generation system delivers the exterior transformation you deserve to level up to the neighborhood standard. They're the total design solution that shows your personal style with endless styles and colors for limitless customization, and their thirty or no fade warranty means your vision will last for decades to come. Design beyond limits, beyond expectations. With diamond Coat now available in the Salt Lake City area. It's premium home siding, limitless potential, endless styles and colors. They're your total design solution, year round, weather ready, durable in all seasons, which of course is important here in Utah. Discover more at Diamondcoatsiding dot com. That's Diamondcoat spelled Kote Siding dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, rolling.
Speaker 1: Along here, three o'clock out of the show on a Friday. It's a beautiful Friday afternoon Chamber of commerce type day here in Salt Lake, seventy five degrees in sunny. It's soposed to be nice all weekend long. So obviously looking forward to some college football. Good one tonight, two top twenty five teams, the Fighting Alaina Illinois taking on Nebraska. Thursday night football. Last night saw my New York Jets handle the New England Patriots. I always enjoy that Chris Camaraddie will stop by at about a half hour from right now. Ck wrote a great piece on Cam Rising this week, so we'll do some utes with Ck Moore, Utah football with Robert Johnson, and then we'll go from there. But a lot of conversation in the market this week about the quarterback position.
Speaker 5: At you.
Speaker 1: That's not a new topic. We've been talking about it for a long time. And obviously when it comes to one Cameron Rising, oftentimes the conversation is predicated on his health. Told that he is going to play, and I know there are rumors out there because there always are. The line on Wednesday night moved four point five points in two and a half hours. That rarely, if ever, happens unless two things go down, one injury news happens to a very important player like a quarterback, or two very wealthy people decide to move the line with some shark betting, some wise guy betting. Maybe that's the case because the line has moved now back towards the University of Utah, so don't take my word for it. Earlier today Cameron Rising sat down with Sean O'Connell and here's that conversation.
Speaker 10: Time now for the Rising Report, which of course is a conversation with QB one Cameron Rising of your ute's Cam Rising.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: How are you doing good? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: You know I got to ask, so how's the hand feeling.
Speaker 5: It's feeling a lot better, definitely way better than last week and just continues to get better. So just got to keep staying on top of treatment and everything and or turn it in the right direction.
Speaker 2: That's always good to hear.
Speaker 10: I want to focus a lot of this conversation on Oklahoma State, but I do want to look back a little bit at this Utah State game. And you know, your guys did it without you, not without you. You were there, you were on the sideline, warmed up, getting yourself ready to play. A slow start for Utah. You've seen it happen when you're under center. You've seen it happen when you're watching on the sideline. You probably seen it happen when you were watching it on TV. Is there a way to look back on it and say why a slow start happens? Can you figure it out after the fact.
Speaker 5: Sometimes in football you don't don't connect early and can't really get into a rhythm. And when that happens, it just it just gets hard for the offense. It gets a little stagnant. And then usually coach Coach Lud calls them some easy plays to the quarterback that gives them some easy reads and and kind of get into a rhythm. And and I think once once that happens, usually that offense starts to get rolling. And it did that just this is last Saturday, and we just got to make sure we're coming out a lot fatter this game because this is a this is a high powered team right here.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 10: Isaac looked so much better after the half, and I asked coach wit about it.
Speaker 2: Hey, what'd you say to him? What did you do? You said, I didn't do anything.
Speaker 10: He was over with coach Lud And I asked Coach Lud and he didn't think it was something that happened at halftime. Did you have a conversation with Isaac Wilson at halftime? Were you able to tell that the second half was going to be a better half?
Speaker 5: I I kind of got that sense in the in the at the end of the second half, in that second quarter, I think he really started to get a rhythm and just get a feel for the game and and really just got comfortable back there and and yeah, he just he turned it on. I think it half time. The only thing I told him is, look, go win this game. It's explicit right there. But no, Yeah, and he was fired up and yeah, and it was a it was a good day and he came out on fire. I think he was eight for eight out of the half. And anytime you get to do that and the offense is going to be firing on all cylinders.
Speaker 10: And coach Lud said he actually thought it was the touchdown pass in the late second quarter two Money Parks. Coach Ludd called it an AHA moment. He said, I think that's where the game kind of clicked for Isaac Wilson. And that makes sense to me, right, You get you get those moments where you realize, oh my gosh, I know exactly what I'm doing, I belong here, et cetera. When did that happen for you? Do you do you remember in your career, earlier in your career when you were just like, ah, I know exactly how to play this position.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be fine moving forward.
Speaker 5: I think it was just the San Diego State game that I played in in twenty one that, yeah, just kind of playing free, you don't really have any any worries and just go out there and play some ball. That that's kind of where I started to feel that comfort playing playing quarterback.
Speaker 10: It's actually really funny to hear you say that, because if you ask Utah fans, like, what was the pivotal moment for this team in the turning point, like they will, they will point to that same thing. And when Cam Rising took over as QB one and you know, still lost that San Diego State game, you played well, fought back, but after that it was onward and upward and two PAC twelve championships and all that other stuff. So it's funny that your recollection of it, the moment for you is the same for a lot of the fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, whenever you get that get your name called, you just gotta be ready. And yeah, that's that was definitely a good game, but I still wish we could have won it. That's one thing I regret about that game.
Speaker 10: Cam Rising my guest here on the Sean O'Connell show for the Rising Report headed on the road to still Water. Let's talk about this game with Oklahoma State. They are a team that is a lot like Utah, sometimes overlooked, maybe not as big of a brand, but just as powerful and can beat anybody in college football. That was true when they were in the Big Twelve with Texas and with Oklahoma that's true. Now your expectations for the atmosphere in still Water. The stadium's about the same size as rice Ecles. The fan base is very similar, very loyal.
Speaker 5: It should be loud, Oh absolutely. I mean I've been there before, back when I was at Texas, and it's a it's aeraudi, rowdy crowd, and they do a good job making noise. They got they got the paddles smacking the boards and stuff, and it's it's going to be a great environment. And it's kind of everything you dream of as a kid playing college football, going into the hostel environment like that, and yeah, just just ready to get out there and get the ball over all.
Speaker 10: Right, let's talk about what this Oklahoma State team is on paper, and maybe you could tell me more about what they are on film, because on paper right now, they're the worst passing defense in the Big twelve Conference. They're giving up a lot of yardage, but they're not giving up a ton of points. They're obviously three and oho, so the only stat that really matters, they're successful.
Speaker 2: They won them all.
Speaker 10: But you know, this is a young secondary that has shown some vulnerability.
Speaker 2: That's the paper side. What do you see it on film?
Speaker 5: They love to play a lot of man coverage and stuff, and they do run multiple coverages and stuff, and I know that can be challenging for offenses to see, but it can also be challenging for them to go out there and execute all those different different types of defenses that you can see. Not a very typical thing that a lot of defenses do. But they definitely have some great athletes on the defense that can make some plays and stuff like that. And I think, like you said, they don't give up very many points, and I think that's because they play good red zone defense and stuff like that. And yeah, they're they're a good team. And I think they do a good job just feeding off the offense and and and relying on that and and both both sides can really do stuff. But yeah, they're they're a good team.
Speaker 10: I asked coach Lovely this yesterday and he said, you know, I wasn't holding anything in the playbook back against Baylor. We need to win these games. You gotta win all of these games. Is there something Is there anything new or the new wrinkles that we might see against Oklahoma State that in the non conference the playbook didn't get that deep, or because it was Isaac instead of Cam and and you know the freshman doesn't have the same bandwidth. Well, we see more in the offense this week from a play calling standpoint, you think, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, yeah, you can. You can definitely dress things up differently and make it give it a different appearance. But at the end of the day, it's football. You got to go out there and execute plays and stuff and and well you got to make sure we're running stuff that we're comfortable with. And I think the team is just ready. I think a lot of the plays we've been working on for a long time, ever since really springball, so just got to be ready to go for whatever coach lad calls. I mean, there's always going to be new wrinkles in each and every week, and I think coach Elied does a good job just making sure we're hitting on all cylinders. And really just know what we want to get accomplished of each play.
Speaker 10: I know that every game is taken very seriously, and you do take it one week at a time, and everyone's trying to improve every single week. Is there a sense in practice this week though, like, hey, now we really got to step up.
Speaker 2: I need ten percent more from everybody.
Speaker 10: I need whatever that number is more from everybody, because not only is this conference play, but this is another team that is your equal. This is another highly ranked team that is built just like you are in a lot of ways. Is there that sense where like you already took all these other games seriously, but this one is even more important and you got to be that much better.
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely. I mean when you get to conference place, it comes down to championships at that point. So every game we play is pretty much have to be treated as if it's a championship, and you just got to go out there and be ready to execute. And I think we've had a great week of practice so far and just got to finish these next two days off and get on the plane and get ready to go.
Speaker 10: Okay, I know they're piping noise in in the practices, right, they do that thing where they turn up the speakers.
Speaker 2: How annoying is that for you? I mean I was only a practice player.
Speaker 10: I didn't have to deal with crowd noise in the games, but I hated those weeks of practice where urban Meyer would roll out the big speaker system and just crank that stuff up. You couldn't hear yourself think it's the worst.
Speaker 5: It is. It's not the worst. I actually I have grown quite fond of it. It definitely makes that environment just kind of seem peaceful, more peaceful. You kind of feel a little bit more comfortable once you get into that loud third down and stuff like that, or even in the red zone, and I just I just feel like, yeah, you have to kind of do that just so that you're you're going in to those hostile environments and you got to make sure everybody can hear and gets the play call, because sometimes those play calls get get pretty long, and and just it's, uh, it's good to get work at it during the week so that we can go into the game time and be ready to go.
Speaker 10: Is the is the headset in your helmets just like headphones. You can turn the volume up and down like you've had to adjust that or you're willing to adjust that when you're practicing it and when you're in the.
Speaker 5: Game, Yeah, for sure. And we also have these little covers that kind of go in our helmet that that pretty much simulate covering your your ear piece right there, so or that ear hole that's in the helmet, and yeah, that that kind of makes it makes it a lot easier here. And just with that speaker being right next to your ear and having a cover, it really keeps the sound in. So should should be should be pretty good here the calls and everything.
Speaker 2: There's actually a built in cover in your helmet.
Speaker 10: Because the only time a quarterback doesn't look cool on a football field is when he's standing there looking at the sideline and cupping his hands over the ear holes in the helmet. That's the only time a quarterback doesn't look cool. So they've eliminated that possibility.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's I think they do it in the NFL an away games and stuff. Yeah, it's just a little piece that covers that ear hole. And it's hard to talk to people from the side. But besides that, you need you need to get the call really, and that's the one thing you need to focus on.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 10: Cam Rising and my guest here on the Sean O'Connell show, getting ready for a road trip. Utes at Oklahoma State. Utes are ranked twelfth in the country. Oklahoma State ranked fourteenth in the country. Going back to that secondary and they are it's a young secondary and they do have a bunch of different looks.
Speaker 2: Is this a week where you could see the wide receiver.
Speaker 10: Room specifically being a bigger part of the offense, you know, going off for some more touchdowns, because we've seen the passing game pick up, but it's been tight ends, it's been you know, running backs out of the backfield.
Speaker 2: Is this the week for the wide receiver room? Potentially?
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I Mean, anytime you get a team that plays a lot of man coverage, you got to have guys who went on the outside, and that's really what what will keep the offense moving down the field. So yeah, I do expect them to have a good week. They they've been looking good running their outfall all week, and yeah, I'm just excited to get them the ball.
Speaker 10: I know you're focused on the offensive performance here, but your defense has got a tough task as well. Best running back in the country last year was Olie Gordon and he's still on that roster, and they brought back a bunch of starters on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason.
Speaker 10: They have yet to really get it going in the run game at Oklahoma State. And again, I know you're focused on their defense and your offense, but when you're in those team periods and we've kind of like talked to the coaching staff and figured out the whole game plan, have you figured out have you all been able to figure out why that is happening why that run game hasn't got going yet for Oklahoma State?
Speaker 5: Not really. I mean I don't I don't really get to study their offense very much, so I don't like to vary from from what I have to accomplish. But yeah, I think they definitely have struggled running it and stuff like that. But I I think they just haven't haven't really opened it up and and and tried to give all these some new new new looks and just let him kind of handle it. Because I do have a lot of respect for him, think he's a very very good running back. And yeah, I think it's going to be a hard task for the defense, but I think they'll be up for it.
Speaker 10: Oklahoma State is without a guy you could argue is their best pass rusher. I could make an argument that Colin Oliver is probably their best overall defender because of his versatility, and they're without him. How do you attack a defense knowing they're without their best player potentially.
Speaker 5: It's never never something you want. You always want to go against the best, And yeah, I think he's a phenomenal player. I wish he was going to be able to be on the field, but yeah, you just gotta gotta go go attack it in every way. You can take advantage of the past because he was a phenomenal pass rush of him stuff, But they definitely have some guys behind him that can that can do some that can disrupt some plays and stuff like that. So it just got to be ready to play and play at a high level. It doesn't matter who's on the field. Just got to go out there and execute.
Speaker 10: The pole question on Twitter today for the Sean O'Connell Show is do you expect this game to be a slugfest, low scoring, kind of grind it out type game or could it potentially turn into the high flying, high scoring shootout Because the Brands are Utah Physical Team grinds it out the brand for Oklahoma State Physical Team grinds it Out, But both squads now very capable opening things up in the past game. Actually, Oklahoma State has been a lot more successful this year with their pass game than they have their run games. So I put the poll question to the starting quarterback, what is more likely in Stillwater a slug fest or a shootout?
Speaker 5: I think it'll be somewhat of a combination of the bull I think there would definitely be some points put up on the board, and yeah, I think it's it's kind of gonna be who can score the most. It's kind of always been that way in the Big Twelve, and it's not going to be. It's definitely not going to be an easy game. I think. I think everything's going to be fought for. But yeah, I do expect there to be some points put up on the board.
Speaker 10: How much swagger does if McKay Bernard have walking around right now? He's got a couple of one hundred yard games under his belt. It's clear that he's proven himself he can be running back number one.
Speaker 2: He can be a bell cow, and.
Speaker 10: It feels like a role he's been working toward for a very long time. It's been fun for us to kind of watch him accomplish that and and you know, truly deserve it.
Speaker 2: Here, what's he like in practice right now?
Speaker 5: He's doing he's doing a great job, just making sure he's leading, always locked in and always kind of help out in any way he can. He's a phenomenal player and anytime he can get him the ball, it's easually going to be very successful for the offense. So yeah, I just got to go to make sure he stays running downhill and and and pops and pops a few big ones and not always always helps the whole offense. But yeah, he's he's got a lot of confidence right now. He just got to keep it rolling and let him be the player he is.
Speaker 10: And I'm not going to name any names right now. This is a general question. When a player is in the coaches doghouse or feels like he's in the coaches doghouse, what can you do as a teammate, as a captain, as a leader to help them work their way out of a position where they feel some type of way about the reps they're getting or the respect they're getting or whatever.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: I mean, just just stay locked in you can. That's that's usually my always my advice. You never know when when you're going to be needed, and and just got to make sure you're ready for when your name is called, so that you can go in there and kind of not not not let them look back at all, and just focus on the task at hand. That's that's pretty much the only thing that there is to do, because you can't really control anything else. And yeah, I I think they whoever, whoever gets their name called at any time will be ready to.
Speaker 10: Go on the youth Cam rising for another minute or two here on the Sean O'Connell Show, as the youthes get ready for a road trip to steal Water to take on Oklahoma State.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 10: Injuries are never funny, and the fallout from injuries are never funny. But but something from your injury did turn out to be at least a little bit funny this week. I think you're on social media during the season, right, you kind of stay away from the Twitter and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the most part.
Speaker 10: Okay, so were you aware though of this? The troll tweet the troll account that put out that like you had developed I don't know, Gang Green or something. You were going to be out for an extended amount of time because of the hand injury, and some of some people got got some people fell for the tweet, including Dion Sanders.
Speaker 2: Did you see this?
Speaker 5: I did? I and and thank you Dion. I was very nice of you. I can't tell you how much I appreciated him. Yeah, I think they said I got tetanus or something. So yes, yeah, definitely definitely very nice of him. I got a lot of respect for coach Dion and and and how he was doing doing his things. But yeah, it's not an ideal situation when somebody starts tweeting out stuff like that. It definitely definitely did get some people, and even some of my teammates are asking me if I was okay, So yeah, it was. It was. It was definitely a funnier deal.
Speaker 2: Oh, It's crazy how that happens.
Speaker 10: And actually, not only did Dion express his respect for you and is concerned for you, even when he found out that the tweet was fake, he doubled down and was just like, Okay, well what I said was still true.
Speaker 2: Cam Rising is a beast and I still wish him well. So that's really cool.
Speaker 10: And that's really where I wanted to go with this question, because look, Deon Sanders is one of the most famous guys in sports and even beyond sports, right, and Dion has told us he's a Cam Rising fan. Like, I know, you don't get starstruck. I know you're a star yourself at this point. But who is the most famous Cam Rising fan or who is the person who when you realize, oh, they're aware of me and they talk about me, they think about they like they know that I'm the starting QB at utah, You're like, wow, that's actually pretty cool that that person is a fan of Cam Rising.
Speaker 2: Who is there a big name?
Speaker 10: Is there a famous person who You're just like, wow, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, growing up for me, I was more so a dB and a corner so I actually loved Dion. He would always be talking and and and just putting on a show out there playing and everything like that. And I was a Cowboys fan, so I always knew knew about Dion or wearing that twenty one in the Cowboys uniform, and and yeah, I've I've always had a lot of respect for him and just just admire him as a as an athlete and as a player and even as a coach. And yeah, it's it's it's a it's pretty cool to have one of the ghats talking about you and and even just having any any any respectful comments and anything like that. It's a it's a good deal. And yeah, I think Dion is definitely something that that sticks out to me in that in that.
Speaker 1: Sense that would make sense.
Speaker 10: He is one of the I mean, he is arguably the best defensive back all time in football and obviously a huge star for multiple reasons now, so pretty pretty cool when a guy like that, especially if you grew up watching him, just like, yeah, I'm a fan of Cam Rising wild ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's yeah, it's it's definitely and yeah, I think he I think he is a goat at cornerback without it out all.
Speaker 10: Right, So good luck and still water. Obviously we're wishing for your health. I'm gonna say it before we get out, because you know, I got to you do expect to play this game?
Speaker 5: Yes, that is my plan at the moment, is there.
Speaker 2: That's what we're all hoping for.
Speaker 6: Cam.
Speaker 10: As always, I appreciate your time. We'll talk again next week. Good luck.
Speaker 5: They appreciate you have a good one.
Speaker 2: Straight from the horse's mouth.
Speaker 1: Cameron Rising says he's gonna play, and that appears to be the plan as of now. If you missed it, the line has moved back towards the utes. That's kind of what caused the panic on Wednesday night, a four and a half point movement over about two and a half hours. Utah as we sit here today, right now, just before four o'clock mountain time, is a one point favorite over Oklahoma State in still Water. All right right around the corner is the Black Desert Championship and the Black Desert Resort in Saint George, Utah. October the ninth through the thirteenth. Black Desert Championship marks the return of the PGA Tour to Utah for the first time in sixty years. Tickets available at Black Desert Events dot com. Their instagram is Black Desert Championship. Went out there a couple of months ago to play the track with some buddies and it is awesome. Excited for this, so tickets on sale now at Black Desert Events dot com. It's the Black Desert Championship October the ninth through the thirteenth. Appropriate on a Friday beaver Dog by still Water, not the city, but the band, fictional band?
Speaker 2: Is it a fictional band? I mean it's a great song.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they have other songs, but that's the band from Almost Famous. And of course it's Chris Camaradie who brings us a little stillwater on a Friday afternoon seventy five degrees, Sonny, I mean, if you're not out back with a audity or afferred at this point, I'm not sure what you're waiting for, young man.
Speaker 4: Well, I was outside for a while, but as always I exist for the listeners, in the host of the drive, for the best possible listening experience. So I find myself in the kitchen doing my very best to walk the line of being a parent and a special guest host on this fine radio show at the same time.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, all right, you have been a busy boy, Chris, you have been a busy, busy boy. We'll start out with the piece that you wrote on Cameron Rising, Utah's quarterback. Of course, there's another situation with the health and you know all off season, you know the conversation, it's like, all right, we gotta make sure. He understands that he's too important toss to get hurt, so get down, throw it out of bounds. And it lasted a game and a half and now dealing with it again out against Utah State. I think he's playing tomorrow, don't. I don't know what else to say about it. I mean, it was weird that the line moved on Wednesday night four and a half points over the course of two and a half hours.
Speaker 2: That is weird.
Speaker 1: That's not nothing, But I don't think it indicates he isn't playing. I feel like I would have called win of it at this point, but you wrote on it. Where are we at at this point with Cam and yet another conversation about an injury, and you know how it kind of clouds the overall prism and viewpoint with which we view this quarterback who's had a lot of bad luck. What are your thoughts? He can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the irony of this whole thing was this story was Cam rising coming back from the two longest years of his life, missing twenty months of football to you know, the second game in Cam's got to get down, man, bottom line, Cam's got to get down, and you know, you take the twelve yard Sack. I mean, just give yourself up. But I think when we talk about Cam Rising, there's a reason why he's reached cult status within the fan base is because he is a guy that has a very hard time turning off the insatiable drive to get one more yard. So the piece was, you know, a a look back as to what Cam went through for a very very long time, the will he won't he all of that stuff, and right now we are dealing with not a severe knee injury, but a questionable hand injury due to the fact that he went barreling into a hydration station along the Baylor sideline. I'm with you, Spence. I do think he plays. I mean, I honestly think if the games were switched and last week we're talking about you know, Utah Okay State, I think there's probably an outside chance that Cam would have tried to play, just because of the importance of this game. But we don't know because Utah's policy when it comes to injuries within the program is they do not talk about injuries within the program. You have to try to read the tea leaves. But Cam is a fascinating figurehead in the history of Utah football. He's a guy who led them to two rose bulls, and if he stays healthy, he gives this team a chance to make the CFP. But there's a reason why quarterback is the most important position in sports. All the pressure is on you, and for Cam the last couple of years has been pretty tough. I mean, he's a guy that doesn't necessarily let clouds darken his sunny disposition. But you know, he told me the door dash build got pretty expensive and expensive at times because he got so tired of going out and having people just asking how you doing, how you doing, how you doing. It's really hard for anybody to have to deliver bad news when you don't want to deliver bad news, let alone on the level that lastly almost two years.
Speaker 1: Because you got access to Cameron, you got access to his parents, you had a lot of access for your piece. For our listeners that have not read it, you can go to CK's Twitter page where he's very active, or you can just go to the athletic website. I We'll tell you where you can find it. But what other anecdotes stood out? Pieces of info stood out that you did not know prior to talking to Cameron. Talking to his parents and writing your piece.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the most interesting things was Cam telling me that he did some rehab work with Aaron Rodgers, who is also a patient of doctor Neil Elatrosh, who is probably the most well renowned orthopedic, you know, specialty surgeon in the country when it comes to superstar athletes. And you know, Cam said it, stuff like that matters, man, whether you're twenty five or nineteen or thirty five, anytime you get to hang out with a guy like Aaron Rogers, who is very, very good at football, Cam said that being able to talk to guys like Aaron Rodgers, JK. Dobbins, other guys who are in kind of the thick of things with him as he's going through the grind of trying to get back, that stuff matters. It picks people up because you see that other people who have reached the pinnacle of their goals with you know, becoming professional players, they're going through it too. So that's that's one thing that I found really interesting. I mean, for me, Cam is a guy who is kind of a paradox. He is a star football player and then in the nil world reportedly makes a whole lot of money and he just doesn't like the spotlight that much. He understands that what is required of him. He's never rude, he's never you know, off putting. But listen, man, it's it's a it's an interesting existence when you have the hopes of hundreds I think it's accurate to say hundreds of thousands of people on your shoulders and not to mention lots of money on the line with the success of a program like UTAH, whereas you know, if Cam is healthy and available, UTAH has a chance to do more, has a chance to break new ground as it did with Cam Underson er twice and making Ross Bowls. If they can do that again, then you're talking about Cam potentially leading this program to a CFP. But again, it all boils down to the health factor. And unfortunately for Cam, he's been dealt so many difficult spots in his career that he just has he just has to always find a way to bounce back.
Speaker 1: Is it really possible to And I've asked this question to a lot of different guests, and I get a bunch of different answers, But I don't know that it's possible to change a player's neuropathways when they're in a fight or flight situation, if they're used to fighting to fight, if they're used to fighting for a couple of yards to get down thrown out of bounds. I mean, there are examples of quarterbacks who have learned this. I think Steve Young is the one that was brought brought up on the show not too long ago. But if you watch the replay of the play where Cam got hurt against Baylor, it was just nonsensical. He was running to his left, the ball was in his offhand, it was early down, it was good distance. There was no reason to do what he did. I just I'm not I'm not crack it on because I honestly feel like it was fire or flight and he just fought because that's who that's who he is. I mean, is there any way to really rewire a guy's brain like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, that's a great question. I mean Cam's dad, you know, said that Cam just has to be smarter with a lot of things going forward, coming up a knee injury. Kyle Whittingham said the same thing. Cam said the same thing, but in the moment. Listen, man, these these guys sign up to play this game. For a reason. They're paid money now to play this game for a reason. I understand that, you know, he has to find a way to be more, as Kyle would say, judicious when it comes to taking hits. That attempt out of bounds was going nowhere, like you said, But I do think the fight or flight thing is an interesting way of looking at it, because listen, man, people in college football, no, Cam Rising is the guy that gets knocked down and keeps getting up. Like people forget about that insane hit he took in that USC game in the Tact twelve championship game, like a hit that would normally knock a lot of people out of the game entirely, and Cam got right back up. So I don't know if you can rewire it. My guess is Andy Ludwig is doing his damnest to try to rewire it, and maybe maybe this kind of freak injury helps Cam understand that. Like, yeah, man, just take a fifteen yard loss and move on. If that means you have to go three and out after a great start, shore, so be it. But your importance to the longevity of the program is way more important than going second and twenty five.
Speaker 1: So if there's a piece of good news to Cam. We're not playing a week ago up in Logan. It is that we actually saw their QB two look like he is up to the task and met the moment, at least for one day on a Saturday up in Logan against Utah State. It's different as you move towards Big Twelve play, But with how bad it looked CK last year with Bryson and then Nate and then Bryson and Nate and then Nate and then Bryson, I think there was a big sigh of relief because here's the thing, man, I've said this four or five times. I'm gonna repeat it. If I asked you to bet the sizeable Chris Camaraddie Athletic paycheck on whether or not Cam is gonna play every game the rest of the way, you would have no choice but to bet against that based off the data that we have. So I'm under the impression I should say opinion. I'm under the I'm of the opinion for Utah to win the Big Twelve, they need Cameron healthy.
Speaker 2: But I think they're gonna win the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: They're probably gonna need a little bit more from Isaac at some point, right, So, I feel like he did answer some questions last Saturday, but it's different if he's called upon in Big twelve play. So what do you make of where we find ourselves with Cam QB one and Isaac QB two based off of what you saw last week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's kind of convenient that the game after the Baylor game was Utah State for a whole bunch of reasons. Like if we're talking about Cam hurting his hand, you know, against Okay State and having to miss that game, and then you're turning around playing Arizona home, that's a different beast. But listen, man, there's a reason why Utah went after Isaac Wilson. It's because they believe he has the upside. There's a reason why Andy Ludwig and Kyle Whittingham made this kid the number two quarterback, beating out a guy who's been in the program for a few years and Brandon Rose in a one time five star recruit like Sam who cwared. So yeah, it's obviously necessary to have a guy who can step in and win you games when your star quarterback is down. But again, I just think you have to find a way to keep Cam healthy. And if Utah is going to win the Big Twelve Conference in its first year, I just don't think they can afford to lose Camp for any more games the rest of the way. I just don't. I mean, I know, their schedule lines up comparatively better compared to some other folks in the conference. Like you avoid k State, you get, you know, some decent challenges at home. Okay State is easily their most difficult road game. But I understand that people are stoked on the notion that Isaac Wilson can spin it and make these kind of throws that a lot of people rule about. But at the same time, it's got to be Cam, and it's only going to be Cam. And that's something that Utah fans know. It's something that the staff knows, and it's something that even the most random college football fan knows. It's like, if Utah is going to be in the mix come November, it's because Cam's got to play as many games as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I agree with that, let's move away from the Cam stuff, but sick with the Utah youth stuff. This week, the Salt Lake Tribune friend of the show, Jason Batakio Batakio excuse me, wrote about the four year journey that Morgan Scalley has taken. I can't believe it was four years ago. But you know what, COVID for me, like time is such a mental construct. I remember nothing.
Speaker 2: I had a man bond.
Speaker 1: It was weird. So you know, you and I talked about this when the whole thing went down, when the text messages were revealed, and obviously something you cannot say or do in any context no matter what. I think everybody's on the same page with that. If you're not, that's kind of odd. But what did you make of what Jason wrote? Some of the anecdotes in there. He's singing Sam Cook and now he gets the coach in waiting reinstated in his employment contract. That happened a year ago. We all found out about it a few months ago. But as you watched from the sideline this whole thing unfold, what are some of your takeaways?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I justin did a great job, and I give Morgan a ton of credit for being willing to sit down with Jason and talk about it. I mean, everybody remembers that that time being a very turbulent time within the program. Because of that, I mean, a lot of people viewed Morgan as he was the head coach in waiting, you know, five years ago, I mean, and I think all of this was going to give Morgan a chance to do a lot of self reflection, as he did. I'm always impressed with an interview subject's willingness to basically open up their phone book to other people, like you know, the fact that Morgan let Jason talk to siblings, talk to former players, like friends, Like that stuff matters because a lot of people have insight into what people have gone through, and more often than not, I find the most compelling information you find when you're writing a feature of profile, somebody usually comes from not the main subject. So, like I said, Jason's did a great job. He's been a hell of a higher and he's done some great work. And I credit Morgan for sitting down and talking to him, because I'm sure that's the last thing he wanted to do. But I understand, and I think he does too, that this is part of the process of coming to grips with a mistake, is that you have to lean into it. You have to embrace it. You have to say raise your hand and say I made a mistake, which Morgan has done, so you have to give him kudos for that.
Speaker 1: So Joe klad this week was just kind of discussing the potential of what you Tah could do this year. And he went into a little bit of a diet tribe on his pod and kind of for you know, college football fans. He may not know entirely the Kyle winningham resume here in Utah, you know, from the Whack Mount and West Conference PAC twelve winning championships. Rose Bulls like, he did a good job of articulating everything Kyle's done here as the coach, you know, prior to de coordinator assistant and kind of went through the entire thing.
Speaker 2: And while we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Coaching, part of me does believe that it was calculated to announce the Morgan news publicly prior to this season. I don't know that I'm not reporting it. Nobody has told me that behind closed doors, But part of me has always believed, all right, something there's more than meets the eye here and Klat's ole thing and this was just a guess. And since you're you know, you've been around the program for a number of years. You'll be good on this And the when is Kyle going to leave? Topic is not new on SPORTSTOC Radio in Salt Lake. But they win the Big Twelve, if they go to the CFP, if for the first time, coach Win has a chance legitimately to coach his team for a shot at winning national championship. Is that the ending Kyle's been waiting for? Is that the Okay, it's time? And this is why we announced Morgan earlier today. Like if all that goes down, does it feel like that's the final Swan song?
Speaker 2: The last dance?
Speaker 1: And Kyle rides off in his motorcycle this sleeveless T shirt.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean I asked Kyle that this preseason fall campus said like, is this the last thing on your bucket list? And Kyle said He's really good at, you know, knowing how to dodge questions. He says, I don't know if I have a bucket list, which I don't believe him. But Kyle's smart enough to not say like, yeah, this is the last thing I want to do before I hang it up. I don't know if it was calculated. I know that Kyle believes that Morgan should be the guy to succeed him. Kyle told me that on the record, like two years ago before I went on paternity leave. So that's that's not a surprise by any means. It's just like you said, we found out a little bit later than expected. I at this point, the fact that Kyle hasn't hung him up Spence, Like, I don't know if like he's tired of it, to be honest with you, and maybe he's just be been reinvigorated by this new conference, this new schedule, this new challenge, the fact that the playoff has expanded to twelve teams, which is something that he's been a huge proponent of and justifiably so. But if they win, if they win the Big Twelve, if they get a top four seed, if they get past the first round, I don't know, man, Like you're talking about a guy who is, you know, addicted to the feeling of winning and competing, and Kyle would be the first person to tell you that. So like, if they get that close, then is he even more compelled to say, Hey, yeah, maybe we lost Cam, but we're always good on defense. Isaac Wilson has a huge upside, the Big Twelve maybe isn't as great as people think it is. Depending on how the rest of the season shakes out, maybe I'll give it another year, and then maybe after that I'll give it another years. It's interesting, Like I think I've said this show a million times, when Kyle does hang it up, nobody's going to see it coming. He's not going to do it at the press conference after they know win the Big Twelve championship, if they win that. He's not going to do it at a bowl game or a playoff game. He's going to do it when nobody's expecting it.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, since you've been down there, since you've written on him, since you've interviewed him, and people down in Boulder. I heard more than a few people last week say that if Colorado lost to Colorado State, and that's a rivalry game and it's a G five verse P four and so Colorado was only a seven point favor they go there, they handle their business. But I heard a lot of people say last week, like, if they lose to Colorado State, because it hasn't looked good for them, people will start asking legitimate questions about Dion and whether or not this makes sense. Now they get Baylor at home, they're only a two point favorite. Does it feel like the prime shine I didn't even mean to make that rhyme. Didn't mean to make that rhyme with the other two look at me, I'm on fire today. Does it feel like the shine on Dion is fading a little bit and it's the shiny new toy? Do you as someone who kind of gets it down there in a way that I don't because you've been there? How safe is he? Regardless of results? They have not been a P four team in over a year. Okay, so they're looking for the you know, a little bit of a spark for folks to be reminded that maybe he is good at this because a lot of people think that he's not.
Speaker 4: Zek I would say there, he's fine. Locally, he's beloved I think in Colorado. At Colorado he made a very very irrelevant program relevant on a number of levels. He is a guy that moves the needle locally and nationally. But I don't know within the walls of the athletic program. If Colorado drops to one and two and loses its two high profile rivalry games to start the season. I don't know if there's going to be more pressure on Dion because where was Colorado before. I understand that the results haven't been there, and I understand that you talk a lot and there has to be some sort of backing behind it. But they still have two top picks, and anytime you have two top ten picks, people are going to want to watch you play. And people are still watching Colorado play even if they lose. So I think if we're talking about kind of a barometer of how people may view Colorado under Dion, I mean they were still like I think they were the second most watched team through the end of the season last year, even after the wheels fell off. So they're in the Big twelve, they have, you know, some new opponents ahead of them. I don't think Dion is on the hot seat. I don't think he ever really will be unless they really go off the rails. But again, you have two top ten players on your team, and one of them is a son, and one of them plays the quarterback. The other guy plays the other most exciting position on the team, So people are gonna want to watch you play.
Speaker 1: All right, Big night Tomorrow night in Provo it's a wide out and they're giving away No it is what it's a wide out. You need to wear white to the game. I'm doing my job as a sports talk radio host to inform the market that it's a wide out in profo. What's wrong with that. I'm trying to be part of the community.
Speaker 4: Okay, keep going, all right.
Speaker 1: In addition to the white out, there's also an alternate cougar tail available. You can get the Classic That's what I'm saying. You can get the Classic Maple. However, they're offering vanilla to match the white out. So it's a big night tomorrow night. Ultimately, there's also a football game despite the chaos that's going on around the community. If they get this done, ck, if they're able to pull it off, touchdown under dog. We had a rod on the show this week. They're four and oh they're going to be in the top twenty five if they get this done. What does the conversation next week sound like around BYU football.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to ask you to put your journalist's hat on, and I've been the kind of out of the loop. What is the status they're running backs is? You know, if LJ Martin or the other kid are scheduled to play. Are they still out?
Speaker 1: I believe both LJ and Hinckley Rapati, the number two, are out. I believe that they're out tomorrow.
Speaker 4: That's tough. Yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 9: LJ.
Speaker 4: Martin makes that offense go at a different level, has the gunslinger mentality. He has to cut down on the very stupid turnovers, which he tends to do at least once a game. But I've been very impressed with By's defense.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a Kialani defense. You have Kilani and j Hill on one side of the ball. Those are two very smart dudes who know how to coach defense. K State is just going to want to try to do to everybody what BYU did once upon a time with Taysom Hills, use their quarterback, who is a tremendous athlete, to run all over you. I do think BYU will probably have a scheme in place to slow down Avery Johnson. They have dudes. BYU has dudes up front, and they have one of the best linebacker corps in the Big twelve. They have guys to hang with this kid. To me, it's I'm gonna be basic. Can Jake Reetzloff avoid the pick at his own ten yard line? Can he hold onto the ball when he goes off and scrambles? If BYU can win the turnover battle, if Retzloft can have a good game, I think they'll be in it. I think Case State is a very good team. I mean, there's a realistic there's a reality that Case State wins a big twelve. You know they're that good. But I do think it is a very very demanding task to ask a team to go play at Leveelle Edwards Stateium at night in a wide out where there's cougar tails. If that place gets rocking, it's a very difficult place to play. So I think YU can do it. It's just going to be contingent on if it's quarterback can avoid the silly mistakes.
Speaker 1: It's a big night, man, it's a big night. It's not just a wide out in cougar tails. It's a wide out in cougar tails with Vanilla Frost team. So let's just get this right.
Speaker 4: I wonder, I wonder what the calorie difference is with the Vanilla should look into that.
Speaker 1: Yep porters on it. He's my ESPN stats and info. All right, final final thing for you today and then we'll set you loose to get back at it. The update with the lads, they were able to grab one on Wednesday. They're up to They're up to second because they had a bunch of they had all the results go their way on Wednesday. A couple of moments with some of these new players indicating some pretty exciting quality if they can kind of settle in. So the good the bad before I set you loose on our lads on RSL very good.
Speaker 4: I think you can make an argument that Anderson Julio has sneakily been this team's MVP this year. Considering where this team was with the loss of Chico Orongo to suspension and injury and just the drop off statistically, Anderson Julio has been a savior for this team. I mean, he's been very, very good. He's produced at a level that I mean, he's always been that kind of quote unquote super sub, but you know, he was always a guy that was looked upon as put him in at the sixtieth minute and let him tire out the back line. He's playing on another level.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: Kudos to him. Rsel still has to find a way to become more gold dangerous with its star players on the field. I mean, like you're talking about the other night, they score three goals. They're without you show Aroango, and they have Diego Diego Luna and Diego Gounsalvez on the bench. They have to find a way to get those three playing together in lockstep the way that Luna Orongo and Andres Goomis were earlier on in the year. Otherwise RSL is not going to have a very long playoff run, and it's jumbled at the top. Man, it's always this way, like you're gonna You're gonna see RSL go up to second, and if they have a couple of down weeks, they can drop down to fifth or six. That's how tough the Western Conferences, and that's how much parody is in MLS. The bad, I would say is their defense continues to look really shoddy. They give up some really silly goals and the goalkeeping play man woof. I know, Gavin Beavers is a teenager and he's got a lot to learn. But between the Howlers that Zach mcmass, Zach mcmaff has had this year, and then that one the other night. You gotta have some very very strong goalkeeper play in order to have a run in the playoffs. As RSLO knows all too well when Nick Rimondo was on, I'm a heater. Rso always had a chance. So they have to figure that out soon.
Speaker 2: Cek, you are the man.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend and we'll chat toon. But appreciate you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, all right.
Speaker 1: Chris Comraaddi, Senior staff rider from the Athletic bunch of great stuff and a bunch of great stuff coming up. I can tease that for ck. Get them on Twitter at Chris Comraddi is where you find. I want to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks before we catch a break. Prize Picks America's number one daily fantasy sports app with over five million active members. All you do is pick more or less on two to six player staff projections and watch the winnings roll in. Now. I'm going to emphasize two to six player staff projections because if you hit two correctly, you can win money. But here's the deal. They're giving you one free win this month. With one Caleb William passing yard. You get one win on prize picks every week in September. Now that's right, Only one yard gets you an automatic win every football weekend in September. But don't miss out on the deal because it's gone when September ends. Download the prize picks up today and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred get fifty dollars instantly when you play five dollars. That's promo code ESPN seven hundred on prize picks to get fifty dollars instantly.
Speaker 2: When you play five dollars.
Speaker 1: You don't even need to win to receive the fifty dollars bonus. It's guaranteed prize picks. Run your game, man. The injuries keep on rolling in in preparation for the NFL weekend ahead. I guess that got started last night with the New York Jets taking care of the New England Patriots. But we'll update you before we say good night. There's a ton they just keep rolling in. Looks like Justin Herbert may not play the Rams, and the Niners are playing without like the majority of their good offensive skill position players. So we'll get to some of that stuff before we say a night at six o'clock.
Speaker 2: But let's talk more college football.
Speaker 1: Consistent guest on the show, former ute, former NFL player, You know him, you love him. Robert Johnson on a Friday, Roajo, Happy Friday, man.
Speaker 2: How we doing so?
Speaker 6: I'm doing good.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing doing well? Doing well?
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So let's, uh, let's kind of look back before we look forward.
Speaker 2: Uh So Utah State.
Speaker 1: Last week, Utah rolls up to Logan for the first time in twelve years. They get it done. Tell me, Rojoe, what you saw from Isaac Wilson QB two. What sort of questions did he answer for you?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, the biggest question I feel like he answered was that he's he's a baller, he a gamer, he is a gamer. And then it took it took a couple of series before we started getting into the start getting into the tool of things. But I'm really happy about our future or will we stand with everything? I'm very, very happy and proud of him and proud of the coaches at least opening up sub which was great.
Speaker 1: Were you concerned it all after that slow start? You know, a lot of Youte fans fourteen three looking around, you know, no Cam Rising, no karn Reid. I think there was some certainly some nerves firing up around here in the community. Were you concerned it all after that slow start from the utes last week?
Speaker 9: Heck, yeah, well like you got have you got a post? If you've got a utah, you post or your heartbeat Utah Youto definitely was nervous about it, or more like just concerned about like last game, how it went. Whereas he like popped into the game and then where he started, it was like, oh, here we go. But he got better. And I always talk about that during the summertime of like like when it comes to summer ball, it's like I want to see what the live bullets look like. I want to see what going against the opponent that don't wear the same colors you and when he's coming to attack you, how do you react. So it was really really cool to kind of sit back and watch him and I'm just happy and proud of the way that he did it, which gave us all hope of like we got a good future. We got it's a good plan behind this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: A lot of the attention, of course, is on the health of the quarterback because it's just so important as you know.
Speaker 2: But Rojo, you're a defensive guy.
Speaker 1: What does this defense miss when Karine Reid isn't out there.
Speaker 9: I feel like that missed a lot. But then I was looking on Twitter and Pop on something. I said that we was trying some new things on defense at the beginning of the half. He was trying stuff. We want to see what we could do, and I think we was already kind of planning to get ready for Oklahoma State this week. So our defensive plan wasn't really bad at the beginning, but it was more of trying things, if that is true, and you see we locked it down towards the second half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actually going to ask you about that because the conversation was Bryson Barnes, Utah States quarterback, of course, was down here for a number of years, and they were a little bit concerned that Bryson knows the personnel and knows the scheme. So it was interesting to hear coach Wit and Coach Gally talked about how at the start of the game they were trying to change it up to keep Bryce and Barnes off their heels, but when they in Kyle's words, when they went back to doing what they always do.
Speaker 2: They settled in and were dominant. You played in the system.
Speaker 1: What does it mean when coach Wit says we settled back into doing what we always did on defense.
Speaker 9: Is a big sign that growth. That's what I would say, because at the end of the day, our scheme is the NFL scheme, and when it comes to opponents that you play against, you're going to see it like it's the same looks no matter what. Like you can get that cover one, cover two, Cover three, cover four, you know that those are just common looks. But it's one of those we gonna line up against you and we're gonna try to figure out can you stop? Can you stop what we're doing, or even if we show what we're doing, can you at least get around it. So I was really happy that we went back to our bread and butter and show how strong we are with our defense.
Speaker 1: So of course this and it's still early, still early in the season, you know, and I tell college football fans this all the time. I mean, everybody just misses college football so much and then it comes back and we blink and it's over. But it is still early. But I wanted to get from you Rojoe, because you hear college coaches talk all the time like the only thing we can do is win the day. The only thing we can improve between this week. It's all we can do is to improve between this week and the next week through three weeks. From your vantage point, is Utah improving the way they need to week by week to compete in this conference?
Speaker 9: Heck yeah, we are. I mean to go to go at the beginning of the season where everybody was really saying we're gonna win the Big Twelve and then now seeing how we how we're going to me that's one of the biggest things of like showing that the team is loaded, the team is ready to perform when it comes to big games. So this week is a big game. It's a huge game. So I feel like in my heart that this is this is one of those games where we're gonna know exactly where we stand at of like if the team is strong enough or is the team we need to just need to get a little bit better and send us off the season very very strong in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: So, Rojoe, the fact of the matter is Rashul Faizon goes for a buck fifteen and as a team Utah State hangs three eighty five on the Utah defense, so they were able to gain yardage. A lot of it were you know, chunk plays here or there, but they were able to gain a lot of yards on the ground with Rasul Feizan Ali Gordon the Dolk Walker a year ago Alan Bowman, just like Cam Rising is a seventh year college quarterback. What does Utah's defense need to improve upon this week when they're going to be on the road against a better team than Utah State to make sure that, you know, Oklahoma State doesn't get off the way that Utah State was able to at times last week.
Speaker 9: For me, I feel like the ball control is one of the biggest things were going into a hostile environment because I've heard about Stillwater still water a lot. So like they have their fans, they have a big call in but on top of the big calling, the way to outfield is that if we control the ball, we can control whether we going to get down to that last position or a bigger position.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 9: So so it's one of those things. Sorry, my son, I'm I'm in a supermarket right now. See that's how I know.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 9: I'm in a supermarket trying to shop with my son and they going crazy. But but yeah, like exactly what I was just mentioning is that if we can go down there and control that ball and do what we need to do, as in not having those turnovers early and being able to get first down, first down, first downs, it could be a really good setup of like a last possession type of setup. And I feel like we can win last possessions because Coach would always make sure that we're ready for those grinder games.
Speaker 1: I'll say, all right, since you're with your boys grocery shop, and I'll set you loose, but I'll ask you one more question here, because again, Oli Gordon is a very capable back in Oklahoma State so far has faced defenses that stacked the box and that's why he's not off to a great start. They do have a capable, balanced quarterback. But walk us through Rojo before I say you lose schematically, How you stop a team that has the rushing attack like Oklahoma State is capable of having, even though they haven't showed it so far this year entirely.
Speaker 9: Turns into that quarterback. That quarterback has been there so long. I'll put the balls over into his hand, whereas like make them throw. And to me, our secondary is great. We have weapons on secondary wise as well as linebackers wise. We have weapons. Now we can force them to throw the ball. It could be a win on our end for what I feel, because the running back is so good. You're right, their running back is very, very very good. So he could bust loose every time you get the ball. But the goal is to stack the box and let's see what that quarterback can do. We're trying to read read a secondary or read a defense where nobody knows who's coming. Don't nobody know who's running Cover three weren't running pressed what I seen those run last week against Utah State. I got a feeling that we're going to test out some different looks and try to make him hold the ball a little longer so than our d line can get there and get the sacks that we need because to getting a negative play it wins games from what I see.
Speaker 1: All right, ro Joe, go chase your boys man, enjoy the game tomorrow with chat soon.
Speaker 5: All right, Hey, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You all right. Robert Johnson, former Utah defensive back, played a number of years in the NFL always pre appreciate road Jo's time. Of course, really interesting dynamics of play coming out tomorrow. It's a two pm kick on Fox. Remember you can watch it on Fox. Of course, you can listen to the game on our radio station beginning at ten o'clock with pregame covers with Porter Larson and Jordan Winn live at Bout Time Pub at Jordan Commons. You've got two twenty year coaches and coach Winting Mike Gundy, two seventh year quarterbacks and camera Rising and Alan Bowman. So far, OSU hasn't got much out of Oli Gordon the second last year. He's averaging three point five yards of Kerry only point nine before contact. He's getting hit hard. Osu ranks one hundred and fifteenth in rushing success rate so far. But ultimately the quarterback Bowman has been able to play pretty well and they've they've been able to stay clean. They survived against Arkansas. They should have lost that game. Okay, State has won seventh straight home games versus AP ranked opponents. So it's a tough one for you, Tah tomorrow. All right, the show is over, Desperate today. We'll be back on Monday final segment of the show. On this Friday afternoon. Man, what a gorgeous day. Weekend is supposed to be. Phenomenal, fantastic, so fun show today. We're gonna give you a six pack of picks before we get out of here. Porter, what do you outside of grinding on tape? I mean an outdoor into the wild, wild, untamable soul like yourself. Cannot be in the film room for three straight days. You gotta have something going on with the weather like it is this weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's beautiful out and yeah, we'll take advantage of it. Get out into the into the mountains at some point, play some tennis at some point. Here's here's the thing. I I once was a man who if I didn't watch it live, I just I thought it was it didn't matter, it didn't happen, right. I had to get over that working in sports. Otherwise you'll just you'll never you'll never have any any time.
Speaker 1: So anyway, you got a DVR.
Speaker 3: Basically, I DVR every Big game, the Big twelve. Stuff is actually awesome because ESPN Plus has has everything in playback if you go back and want to watch stuff. But I really DVR everything, and then my Saturday PMS, my Sunday PMS. It's all football. It's all. It's all watching the games, catching up on stuff and skipping through the commercials. And I usually get in way more football that way, and I'm able to watch several games kind of in their their totality and do it well into the am hours, and I actually quite enjoy that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, if I don't go to a game live, I will DVR the game and then do something fun and come home and not watch commercials. There you go, it's the way to do it.
Speaker 3: If it's obviously like maybe the CFP or a UTES game where we are here there on the road, I'll watch that live. I'll cover it. But other than that, ye, I really do try to take the resources we have and you last, all.
Speaker 1: Right, pregame coverage Utah football, Let's get the deats.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We'll be Atbout Time in Jordan Landing, West Jordan, which is actually not the location. They're in a different location now, but that's where About Time was founded fifteen years ago, so it's kind of their their anniversary. They're celebrating fifteen years Jordan win appropriately at Jordan Landing with me at about time. We'll be there from ten am to noon. Bloody Mary Barr brunch. Come by watch some football, say hello to Jordan and I and we'll have some tailgate passes for the next home game. We'll have some tickets to give away and go from there. So yeah, come stop by the West Jordan Jordan Landing location about time ten am to noon. Jordan and I will be there talkings and football.
Speaker 1: Deets by the way, short for details, Yes you knew that. Yeah, I used the shortened version because I have the RIZ.
Speaker 3: I heard a couple of teenagers like behind me at the crosswalk on my way to work the other day having a conversation right spence. I didn't know what they were talking about, and they were speaking English. I am fluent in English. I had no idea what they were talking about. It's the new world we're in. I got the RIZ. I don't have it, but I know what it means. I know deets. It pretty old, but some of the new stuff. Man, I have no idea what the duk mop sounds like.
Speaker 2: That conversation must have been pretty mid.
Speaker 3: It was, in fact, it was intelligible.
Speaker 1: No, that's too bad. Don't be so extra I'm trying. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I think that's all I got At this point, I could probably search for more. All right, real quick, here are my picks for the weekend six pack of picks. Okay, we've done pretty well five and one. Week one. We were four and two week two, So quick math. We are nine and three through two weeks, which is much better than we did a week ago. So real quick, let's go through these. I'm taking Tennessee. This is making me nervous because everyone's on Tennessee now, But I think Tennessee rolls in to Oklahoma and smokes them. I'm taking Tennessee thirty eight Oklahoma twenty one. That's a seven point spread. I think Tennessee's gonna work them. I'm taking Baylor to win outright on the road of Colorado, even though they are a two point dog. Baylor made a quarterback change. I like how they look. I'm taking Baylor thirty Colorado twenty four. Give me TCU to win and cover at SMU. It's only a two point spread. TCU, I think is a good team. I think they're gonna go down there. They're gonna cover thirty one. Twenty eight. Give me USC to win, but Michigan to cover. In the Big House USC twenty eight, Michigan twenty four, I'm taking k State to win, but BYU to cover. I'm taking k State twenty eight, BYU twenty four. Then finally, I'm going to operate off the premise that Cameron Rising will be under center tomorrow for the Utah Ute. So give me Utah thirty three, Oklahoma State twenty one. I'm taking Utah to win and cover, and actually win somewhat comfortably because of Cam's under center. I have confidence they can get that done. All right, Porter, Time to get our weekend started out the right way? What comes our listeners way? On a Monday edition of the show.
Speaker 3: On a Monday edition of The Drive, of course, we'll hear from Kyle Whittingham his weekly press conference. We're hoping to hear from him on the show next week week as well, but we'll of course play back his weekly presser as we do each and every Monday. Bill Riley, the Voice of the Utes, will stop by fresh off of a trip to the first Big twelve opponent in Utah football history. It is the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Of course, we'll have our Big twelve Power rankings, our AP voter Josh Furlong will stop by, and the return of our friend Spencer Hall, who was in Mongolia this summer. Was I don't even know what the hell he was doing the last couple of months. He's been all over the place. But looking forward to catching up with Spencer Hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be a good Monday show. All right, guys, have a great weekend. Okay, it should be a lot of fun. Weather's great. It's not going to be great forever, so get out and hike it out and golf, Get out and spend some time with your family and friends. Special thank you today at to Pablo Master, Aenny, Andy Larson, Cameron Rising, Chris Comaradnie and Robert Johnson for any of the sound you may miss from the show today.
Speaker 2: Check out our.
Speaker 1: Website it's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. It's the ESPN seven hundred app that's available in the App Store or the Google Play Store. Then, finally, for what we do in our space for four hours every afternoon, check out our podcast page, which is called The Drive with Spence check its. That's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate reviews, say nice things, give us all the stars. You will be eternally blessed. That young man is port Larson. My name is Spence. Check it saying and I have a great weekend. Be good to yourself, be good to each other. We'll talk to you out on Monday Drive as well as you can find it right here on ESPN seven hundred