Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Well, I had to catch up with my TV partner.
Speaker 2: It's always great to be on sports and at LA with the great Eric Carrows, who has hit more home runs than any other LA Dodger in history, the nineteen ninety two National League Rookie of the Year, the first of five in a row for the Dodgers, and he wears a nice Dodger polo on TV each and every day.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love to help you out DV, especially after working together in Atlanta and looking forward to the next time.
Speaker 1: Colorado and KC. We always get the A road trips. That's right, that's what I'm talking.
Speaker 3: This is the A road trip Atlanta, Arizona.
Speaker 1: We got some big teams. Yeah, the rooftops in Miami are beautiful.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I don't go out.
Speaker 2: When you look at this team and where the Dodgers are baseball's best record, it feels like there is still more and that's a little scary for the rest of the league.
Speaker 3: I think just because of the expectations we've had that were placed on the Dodgers. Well, we're going to win one hundred and twenty games, one hundred and thirty games. You know, the reality is that you know it's a long season. The season does not discriminate. You're going to have your ups and downs. Every organization is but every single day this year, if you ask me what team I would want to be, I would say I want to be the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 2: It feels like a lot of players want to play on this team. You obviously were a really good first baseman. We get to see one of the best in Freddie Freeman. Do you feel like he's starting to look like the Freddie Freeman?
Speaker 3: So it's interesting, you say, we were talking about it on the broadcast last night, where one of the most underrated great starts in all of the league. I mean, if you look at what he's done so far, you know, the ops is over a thousand, it's hitting home runs, the RBI's driving and runs. And this is a guy that again is coming off major injuries last year, had the bathtub accident, and is just still quietly I said, like you look at the numbers, they're unreal.
Speaker 2: I've said before Eric that if my life was on the line, and I needed and at bat from a current player.
Speaker 1: I think Freddy would be that guy.
Speaker 3: I think somebody copied what I say every guy on a broadcast because I've said Live or Die. I said this, you know last year Live or Die. A guy on second base and I need to get him in. Doesn't matter who's out there pitching. Freddie Freeman is up at the plate and he continues to show that, you know, no matter what he has, he has an innate ability to drive in runs. And he's still he's old school where RBI's RBI's meant something. And if you look at there's two guys on this team currently for me, it's Tail and Freddy that at all costs, I'm driving in the run.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought up te Oscar Hernandez. He obviously got hurt. He's out for weeks. According to Dave Roberts, how big of a hole is that in the lineup?
Speaker 3: So again, it's going to I look at it as it's going to create opportunity. And so James Outman is going to get a run right now, he's gonna come. Are you going to replace him? No? It's just like, are you gonna replace Blake Snell. No, are you gonna replace Tyler glasnow? No. But the organization has created depth, depth that is second to none. So when guys get hurt here in this org it's okay, Yes, that's not great. It happens in every organization. Corbyn burns down, sang it down, steal like everybody. But the difference is here we can put in guys that are everyday players and they're gonna produce.
Speaker 2: Eric Harrols and Steven Nelson will be on the call tonight for Sports net LA. Obviously, Eric has a big place in Dodger history. When you look at hay Soong Kim Eric, there's a lot of buzz about what he did last night and what he did in the ninth inning in Atlanta is the biggest thing now is to be consistent after this splash.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, it's just getting an opportunity and going out there and playing. And I think what he did in Atlanta from me, forget the stealing the base, forget moving second to third, it was having the confidence to go out and do that because this is his first experience in the big leagues and he's in a crucial situation and he acted like he had been there a thousand times over then obviously last night, getting an opportunity to start and coming up with an RBI, a few base hits so far, and again it's two games. The one thing I can confidently say is he does not seem to be overwhelmed in his first trip to.
Speaker 1: The big leagues.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go back in nineteen ninety three, the Marlins first came into Major League Baseball and the Dodgers were the first team to play the Marlins. It was Charlie Huff on the mound. What do you remember the most about that first ever Marlins game?
Speaker 3: Charlie Huff versus Oral Hersheizer and I couldn't believe we were facing Charlie Huff. I think also I was thanking goodness that I didn't get drafted in the expansion draft that was playing for the Marlins. But they went out and they beat us, Charlie through a great game, beat Oral, and you know it was It was interesting, but a long time ago, for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you like playing at the old Joe Robbie Stadium?
Speaker 3: No, I mean it was all right. It wasn't bad, I will say this, And you know it was after my Dodger tenure though, But when we played there in the playoffs with the Cubs, that place you could not find an empty seat and you know that was like seventy thousand people and that was insane.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we won't remember how that ended. Thanks a lot for the time, Eric, and always love seeing you and certainly you mean a lot to a lot of Dodger fans because of what you did and what you teach us every night.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 3: Look forward to working together again, Davy.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, Eric carrols with the great fabio hair here on South Beach.