Speaker 1: The National Broadcasting Company presents Radio City Playhouse Attraction thirteen. Our play tonight is titled The Dark Hour. It is an original radio drama by Charles Bennett and one which.
Speaker 2: We like very much.
Speaker 1: Indeed, we sincerely hope that after thirty minutes heavy laughs, you will share our opinion. The production is directed by Harry W. Jenkins and stars John Larkin as Paul. Here is Radio City Playhouse Attraction thirteen, The Dark Hour. This is a story about Paul, Paul Gallagher. It is a story about Paul when something happens to him. It is the story of the fears and thoughts within him when it happened, and it is the story of the voice that speaks these thoughts. It is not, we think, an ordinary story. Paul won't tell very many people about this.
Speaker 2: I say won't because it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 1: It is just now beginning to happen.
Speaker 3: Paul, Paul Gallagher, Wake up. Paul.
Speaker 1: Paul is lying on the ground asleep. He is on a summer vacation. This afternoon, he went for a walk by himself along a dead road that winds through the woods, about a mile from his family's summer coffee It's a lonely road, never much traffic on it, but Paul knows it well. He's been on it dozens of times every summer of his life, except while he was away in the army.
Speaker 3: Wake up, Paul, open your eyes.
Speaker 1: He has stretched out flat on his back, lying still except for his breathing, which is slow and regular and gentle.
Speaker 2: Where is he? Well? After walking a while, he stepped off the road.
Speaker 1: Through an opening in the brush, and then to a familiar clearing in the wood. It was warm and peaceful, and he lay down on his back and gazed through the rippling treetops at the patch of blue sky above him, and, without meaning to, Paul Gallagher fell asleep.
Speaker 2: That's where he is now.
Speaker 4: Do you hear me, Paul? You are waking up. That's right, Paul, move stretch, open your eyes. Listen, Paul, listen deep within you. I am you.
Speaker 3: Paul. You've heard me before, haven't you. I am you. You'd better wake up, Paul. Do you hear me? Yeah? Then open your eyes, Paul, open your eyes. Mhm, what's the matter?
Speaker 2: Where am I? Dark?
Speaker 3: Pitch God, pitch dark, call out for help. What's the matter?
Speaker 2: Paul, frightened, only for a moment.
Speaker 3: I remember now, Paul, Remember where you are?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm lying a little patch of grass and moss and the woods right.
Speaker 3: Where you lay down this afternoon, Paul.
Speaker 2: I remember what.
Speaker 3: Time did you go to sleep? Paul?
Speaker 2: Oh? About three o'clock, I guess.
Speaker 4: And now it's pitch dark, black dark, isn't it. Better make very sure where you are. Put your hands out and feel the ground around you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's moss and grass all right.
Speaker 3: Well, at least you know where you are.
Speaker 2: Oh, vall this group, all things to do, sleeping all this time?
Speaker 3: What time is it, Paul?
Speaker 2: I can't see my watch a match because I haven't any matches in summer.
Speaker 4: The twilight lasts until around nine o'clock. It's so dark now you can't see a thing.
Speaker 3: Can you?
Speaker 2: Boy? This is one of the books.
Speaker 3: You must have been very tired, Paul.
Speaker 2: Yes, I must have been very tired, tired enough.
Speaker 4: To fall asleep accidentally and sleep for seven hours maybe more.
Speaker 2: No, I was that tired when they discharged.
Speaker 3: You from that army hospital. What did they tell you?
Speaker 2: Oh, that was a long time ago, two yous.
Speaker 3: What did they tell you, Paul?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 3: What did they tell you?
Speaker 2: They said? Take it easy, be careful.
Speaker 3: Why did they say that? Why? Paul? Why Paul?
Speaker 2: I had a rough trip getting up here from my vacation, that long hot train ride, sitting up all night for two nights. It's very tiring.
Speaker 4: Or maybe it's a change of climate. This fresh northern air just knocked you out.
Speaker 2: Yes, that must be it funny, isn't it? Paul?
Speaker 3: Get up? You can't just lie there. Sit up here?
Speaker 4: I am that's right. Brushed the grass and twigged from your sweater. What's the matter?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Why are you rubbing the side of your face?
Speaker 2: Paw, skin is all dent. I slipping my face, pressing right into the grass. I guess.
Speaker 3: What's the matter, Paul? Why are you rubbing your temple with your finger? What's the matter? Pole?
Speaker 2: My scar stinging like a needle. The twide must have been digging into it when I was asleep.
Speaker 3: You'd better be getting home.
Speaker 2: Yes, stand up? Yeah, I'm standing.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: I I don't know which way to go? So dark, I've never known to be so dark before. Like, I can't even tell where the trees end and the sky begins up there.
Speaker 3: Probably it clouded over while you were asleep.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 3: You're not afraid of the dark, Paul.
Speaker 4: Think how often you walked home along that road in the dark when you were a kid.
Speaker 2: You can do it again, of course I can do it again.
Speaker 3: The first thing is to get out of the clearing onto the road. Figure it out.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I came in out of the old tree, and then the opening must be in this direction.
Speaker 3: Which way, Paul?
Speaker 2: This way?
Speaker 4: Go on, Paul, stretch out your arms in front of you. Step forward, step, step step?
Speaker 3: What's the matter?
Speaker 2: I should have reached the edge of the clearing by now, one way or another.
Speaker 3: Do you feel anything yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Maybe you hit the exit from the clearing right on the button the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I did step forward.
Speaker 3: Then what happened?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Somebody slapping in the face.
Speaker 3: Put out your hand and see what it was.
Speaker 2: No, go on, what It's only a leaf, a little branch hanging down over my head.
Speaker 3: You missed the opening.
Speaker 2: How am I going to get out of here?
Speaker 4: Suppose a car went by on the road outside the clearing, Why then then you would know where the exit is.
Speaker 2: Yes, how often do cars go.
Speaker 3: By on that road?
Speaker 2: It might be hours before one went by. I don't want to wait. I want to get out of here. Think, Paul, I know what a branch.
Speaker 4: Good, Paul, that's right, Grab it, I'll pull it down. Go on, twist it, twist. The branch broke off right into your hands, didn't it.
Speaker 3: Now what that's right, Paul.
Speaker 4: Strip off the twigs, the leaves, all of them there.
Speaker 3: Now what have you got now?
Speaker 2: A stick? Now I can feel where I'm going.
Speaker 3: Which way are you going to? Try?
Speaker 2: Left? I think yes? Left?
Speaker 3: Is that the opening?
Speaker 2: Wait? I I'm walking on leaves?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Oh? I must be going into the woods instead of bout by the opening.
Speaker 4: And do something like back up, back out of there. Now, go on, Paul, to the left.
Speaker 2: Keep at it, Paul, I might go deeper into the woods.
Speaker 3: Keep at it, Paul.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, I think, why are you stopping, Paul. I've made it. I'm out. I'm through the opening up by the road. I know what. I can feel it, I can, I can. I can feel more space around me.
Speaker 3: Better be sure, use the stick.
Speaker 4: Step forward, Paul, slowly, slowly, slowly, watch out.
Speaker 3: For the well. Paul.
Speaker 4: You had to step over that roadside ditch when you went to the clearing before falling asleep. Didn't you remember now you saw the water ended in the mud and the wet leaves, then didn't you get up?
Speaker 3: Get to your feet? Go on, Paul, there you should be standing by the side of the road. Now, stop trembling.
Speaker 2: A ditch and lousy rocking foul misbegotten the cursed ditch, Paul, I forgot the ditch, lousy rocking ditch.
Speaker 3: Calm down, Paul, Shake the mud off your clothes. Where is your sense of proportion?
Speaker 2: Sure, a blazers isn't my night, is it?
Speaker 3: You'd better get going?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Paul? Now? When I was a kid and walked home on this road at night, even on the darkest nights, the sky was just faintly lighter than the wood. It made a sort of canyon of the road that you could follow easy. You couldn't see the road, but some kind of visual sense let you know what it was. But not tonight, Paul, Tonight, tonight, I can't see a blessed thing. The darkest night I've ever seen. Its black. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I are you nervous?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I am?
Speaker 3: In what way?
Speaker 2: I don't quite know? I can't quite quite figure it out.
Speaker 3: What do you feel, Paul?
Speaker 2: In my stomach sick?
Speaker 3: Do you feel something strange, something wrong? Have you ever felt it before? Paul?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: How about the war, Paul?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Remember the war? Paul?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, yes, yes, Paul, you have felt like this before?
Speaker 2: No? Never?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Paul, I think think about it? Remember it?
Speaker 2: No? Maybe alone?
Speaker 3: The war, Paul, the war? The war?
Speaker 2: Thank? Yeah, mag listen here, Paul, I'm listened. I how never mind? It's nothing?
Speaker 5: Hey, what's eating you?
Speaker 2: You look like you're ready for your shower?
Speaker 5: No, it's nothing, bocking your frame when this lousy trench giving you the willies?
Speaker 2: Huh? Well, I say, what is the matter with you? Well, it's look mac to me a favor, will you? Yeah, here's my wallet and some other stuff. I keep them for me, will you? And then if you only, if you have to, you know what to do with them? Oh no, wait a sec, Paul. Sure, I can keep them if you want. But you're just putting the women on yourself. Oh no, I just got a feeling that's wrong today? Is it the ticket? I wanted the label on it and all let junk. I wish I could be funny about it, but I just feel so ratting, lousy bad. You want to talk to the chaplain lady. Oh no, I've talked to him. Thanks. Look at me, Max, look right at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm scared, but I'm not just scared. I know it's gonna happen. I can feel it all through me. Do you understand me, mat I know it, know it.
Speaker 3: Oh, steady, Paul, you're still standing by the side of the road. Is that the way you feel? Again?
Speaker 2: I'll leave me alone. I don't remember, all right, Paul. All right, I've gotta relax.
Speaker 3: You'd better get going, Paul.
Speaker 2: Yes, but how am I going to stay on the road if I can't see it?
Speaker 3: Figure it out? What kind of a road is it?
Speaker 2: Why? It's an ordinary dirt road? And yes, yes, I see car wheel throw most of the dirt and gravel to the side. That leaves hard are bare tracks in the center, and all I have to do is feel for a hard, bare part with my feet and it will be like a track to follow. I feel myself walking in loose gravel. I know I'm getting on the shoulder off the road. Good for you, Paul, And now I'm getting smart. There there's a bare track.
Speaker 3: Turns your right, Paul, start walking.
Speaker 2: Walk, I'm walking.
Speaker 3: Soon you won't have to concentrate so hard on feeling the road through your feet. Soon your feet will keep to the road almost automatically. Soon you want it? What is it, Paul?
Speaker 2: My wound a scar stinging again?
Speaker 3: You're a scar?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a matic with it anyway?
Speaker 3: Hasn't bothered you for a long time? Has it?
Speaker 2: No? Now it's stinging. It goes right through my head?
Speaker 3: Is that why you're holding your head in your hands? Steady ball? What are you thinking of, Paul? The war again?
Speaker 2: Dizzy?
Speaker 3: Why are you thinking of the war again? Paul? And you're healthy?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, dizzy?
Speaker 6: Steady fall, steady fall, steady.
Speaker 2: What time is it, Paul? Three sixteen?
Speaker 7: The two nineteen's supposed to take that hill over there.
Speaker 2: Soon you divide some of the spy from us. Huh yeah, man, What time do you say it was three sixteen? What time is it now? What comedy? What times do I have to tell you? All right?
Speaker 3: Paul?
Speaker 2: Hey, I am who I.
Speaker 3: Walk? Paul?
Speaker 2: I'm walking?
Speaker 3: Are you all right now?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, I'm all right.
Speaker 3: What's the matter with your head? Paul?
Speaker 2: I don't know my wound?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 2: Trapnel?
Speaker 3: What do you remember about it?
Speaker 2: Remember?
Speaker 3: Yes, don't you remember anything about your wound?
Speaker 2: No, it's all fixed up now.
Speaker 3: Don't you remember the hospital?
Speaker 2: The hospital? Yes?
Speaker 3: What did they do in the hospital?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 3: What did they do?
Speaker 2: They fixed it up? They fixed up the wound.
Speaker 3: Don't you remember what? Where is your wound, Paul?
Speaker 2: My head?
Speaker 3: Where in your head?
Speaker 2: My temple? Where my temple? Say it again, Mike temple.
Speaker 3: Is that a bad place to be wounded for? Is that a bad place? Paul? What did they do in the hospital, Paul? Do you remember now, Paul? The hospital? The hospital?
Speaker 2: Hello you Paul Gallagher, aren't you? That's right? Every time I turn overcomes a new nurse. Are you new on this ship?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not on the worry Well. Hello, anyway, we're ready for your apple? You ready for me? Yes?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 2: Kids?
Speaker 3: Why for your operation?
Speaker 2: Of course? Operation?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, didn't anyone tell you?
Speaker 2: No, no they didn't. So that's what all that fussing with me was about last night and this morning. Oh great, isn't that just like the army? I'd say, a rotten thing. Why do they have to operate? I don't know it's practically heal. I thought it was perfectly all right. What's the matter with it? Come on, Paul, they're waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put on your slippers.
Speaker 2: Or isn't it healing properly? What's wrong with it? Nurse? Come on, Paul. We can't keep them waiting. Well, can't you tell me what's the matter?
Speaker 5: All right, Paul, I'm gonna put this over your face. Yeah, we breathe deeply? Take the deep what's this one?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 7: Small piece of shrapnel in the temple seemed all right at first, and let it feel without taking it out. Readiness, danger of pressure on the optic nerve. It's going to be a tricky business.
Speaker 5: Any chance of loss of vision a chance?
Speaker 7: Yes, I don't think so. But he could be all right tomorrow and then some time later. I just can't tell now. Yes, blindness is unlikely, but perfectly possible.
Speaker 2: Any chance lost sub vision?
Speaker 3: Perfectly? Do you remember, now, Paul?
Speaker 2: I must have slept back there with my scar pressing on a twigger or small stone or something pressed on a nerve. Probably that's what makes it sting.
Speaker 3: So that's probably it dark, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Look up? Paul?
Speaker 3: Look up to the sky. Do you see anything, Paul?
Speaker 2: I already be able to see something, shouldn't I.
Speaker 3: It's uncanny, isn't it.
Speaker 2: No, it's clouded over, that's all. It's clouded over.
Speaker 3: You're all alone in the dark. It feels hollow and tight in the pit of your stomach.
Speaker 2: Well, that's natural, that's perfectly natural. Oh, Paul, it's so dark.
Speaker 4: It couldn't be any worse, could it? If you were blind? How do you know you're not blind?
Speaker 3: Paul?
Speaker 4: How do you know it's a very dark night. How do you know it isn't about four o'clock in the afternoon. How do you know you didn't fall asleep with two good eyes and wake up blind?
Speaker 3: What did the doctors say? Why is there a pain in your temple?
Speaker 2: Oh? I'm crazy, I'm absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: On the other handful, why should you be blind?
Speaker 2: The doctors they said it was possible, didn't they did?
Speaker 3: They say it was probable?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Why shouldn't it be a dark night?
Speaker 2: It could be?
Speaker 3: Why shouldn't you sleep several hours?
Speaker 2: I was very tired.
Speaker 3: It's not very likely that you're blind, is it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not very likely.
Speaker 3: Figure it out? Then, what haven't you done all this time?
Speaker 2: What haven't I done?
Speaker 3: Your ears?
Speaker 2: My ears?
Speaker 3: Yes, listen, what's that?
Speaker 2: Just the breeze and the trees up there and that crickets and insects?
Speaker 3: What about birds?
Speaker 2: Birds?
Speaker 3: If you heard birds singing, it wouldn't be nighttime, would it. What was that? What didn't you hear it? Sounded like a robin, didn't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was that a crawl.
Speaker 3: Birds don't sing in the heat of the day. It might still be too hot at four in the afternoon, So even if you don't hear birds, it might be daytime. Do you feel the warm sun?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yes, are you sure? Yes? No, No, it's not warm.
Speaker 3: Listen? Was that a squirrel?
Speaker 2: Where now there's a robin? I think so? No, I don't know. I didn't hear anything, the squirrel chattering.
Speaker 3: Don't you hear it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You're listening too hard.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. You don't know what you Oh, dear God, please what?
Speaker 3: Pull yourself together?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: So letting it get you down? Race up, Paul.
Speaker 2: Whether you're blind or not, I'm not blind.
Speaker 3: You've got to get home.
Speaker 2: I'm not blind.
Speaker 3: No. But suppose suppose you.
Speaker 2: Were, Paul, I'm not. It's just it's just my imagination.
Speaker 3: Then stop thinking about it, stop.
Speaker 2: Thinking about it, and start walking. I'm walking.
Speaker 3: You're not blind. Force yourself to stop thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Don't think about it.
Speaker 3: Your mind is whirling. Stop thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Stop thinking.
Speaker 3: Stop thinking about it.
Speaker 2: God, don't let me be blind, Please, please don't let me be stopped.
Speaker 3: Listen? What is it? Listen? Do you hear.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I hear it.
Speaker 3: Do you know what it is?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a car. Where is it? Way? Way off in the woods ahead of me?
Speaker 3: Is it coming this way or going away?
Speaker 2: It's coming this way?
Speaker 3: No, now you know?
Speaker 2: Yes, Now I'll get off the road.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's coming closer, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Wait for it.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting.
Speaker 3: It's coming closer now, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Closer?
Speaker 3: What do you expect to see?
Speaker 2: Headlights?
Speaker 3: You see a glare in the sky? Yet?
Speaker 2: No, no glare?
Speaker 3: Why not, Paul? Why not?
Speaker 2: I don't know why?
Speaker 3: No glare?
Speaker 8: Paul?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Curves curves in the road ahead?
Speaker 3: When will you see the lights fall?
Speaker 2: Soon?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Yes? Wait?
Speaker 3: How soon?
Speaker 8: Paul?
Speaker 2: Very m h How soon?
Speaker 3: How soon?
Speaker 2: How soon. What is the fool doing driving on a pitch dark night like this without lights?
Speaker 8: The food, the idiot driving without lights, idiot, no lights, no lights, no light.
Speaker 2: It's still broad daylight, isn't it all this time? It's been daylight?
Speaker 3: M hm?
Speaker 2: Please help, please please, I'm blind.
Speaker 1: And that is the story of Paul Gallagher. You have just heard Charles Bennett's The Dark Hour Attraction thirteen on Radio City Playhouse. John Larkin was heard as Paul Alan Stephenson is the voice within him. Other players included Eugene, Francis Headley, Rennie and Helen Choked. With this performance, Radio City Playhouse rings down its curtain for the time being, but we hope to be back on the again on a near future over most of these NBC stations, so please watch for the announcement of our return. Meanwhile, the staff of Radio City Playhouse, our producer, Director Harry W. Youngin, our composer conductor doctor Roy Shield, sound technician Jerry McGee, our skillful and resourceful engineer Monroe Jay Lawrence, and our supervisor Richard P. McDonough all join and saying thanks to you were your many wonderful letters, telegrams and phone calls expressing your appreciation of our efforts. You've been very nice to work for. Next Saturday Night, Hollywood Star Theater returns to the air. The morning show will star a talented and lovely young Hollywood actress, Marissa O'Brien. She will be introduced to you by her niece, a young lady known in love by millions of theater gores. Miss Margaret O'Brien. Hollywood Star Theater will be heard over most of these NBC stations next Saturday Night. This is Lionel Rico speaking, and this is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company.