Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: So I want you to try and imagine something with me for a second. Imagine standing a full kilometer way from.
Speaker 3: An object, right, which is I mean that's a massive distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Just picture that immense distance. You're standing at one end of like at a long, perfectly straight highway, okay, and you're looking at something that is basically ten football fields away, So.
Speaker 3: A distance that would take you what a good ten or fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Just to walk exactly. It's a real trek. Now, from that incredible vantage point, I want you to imagine being able to perfectly see, and I mean visually, something that is exactly three point five millimeters wide.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I mean three point five millimeter It's roughly the width of maybe two stacked pennies, or like a.
Speaker 2: Single grain of rice, rice grain of rice an entire kilometer away. That is just mind bending, right, But that is the exact level of visual sharpness, the sheer like optical perfection achieved by a newly developed Japanese X ray space telescope.
Speaker 3: Which is just an incredible engineering fee.
Speaker 2: It really is. But here's the thing. Getting that perfect image required scientists to completely abandon everything we thought we knew about how telescopes actually work.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they had to throw out the entire playbook.
Speaker 2: You really did. I mean, they had to cross breathe their astronomical designs with the brutal physics of a particle accelerator.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They had to build a kilometer long vacuum tube deep underground just to fake a single star.
Speaker 3: Which is wild to even think about.
Speaker 2: And then after all that, they eventually strapped their creation to a rocket in the freezing wilderness of.
Speaker 3: Alaska just to see if it would survive.
Speaker 2: Right, And the reason they went to all of these extreme, almost absurd lengths to literally shrink the entire future of space observation down to the size of a shoebox.
Speaker 3: A shoe box, I mean, the journey to getting that technology into a shoebox is fundamentally a story about battling two of the most unforgiving hurdles in science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's unpack that? What are we dealing with here?
Speaker 3: Well, first, you are dealing with an incredibly hostile physical environment outer space, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, space is not exactly friendly, far from it.
Speaker 3: You have the violent shaking of suborbital rocket launches, the hard vacuum, the extreme temperature swings.
Speaker 2: It's basically a torture chamber for delicate equipment exactly.
Speaker 3: And second, you are hunting the most elusive, difficult to capture targets in the known universe. X rays, Yes, X rays, high energy X rays do not behave like the visible light we are accustomed to seeing every single day.
Speaker 2: They're a totally different beast, they really are.
Speaker 3: They actively resist being caught, they resist being focused.
Speaker 2: They just want to blast right through everything.
Speaker 3: Right, and they require a complete reimagining of optical physics to even look at.
Speaker 2: But the payoff for catching them is huge, right, I mean, it's the keys to the Kingdom.
Speaker 3: Oh, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: We desperately want to catch these high energy photons because they're the only way to really understand the universe's most violent, extreme temperature events.
Speaker 3: Because we aren't trying to look at you know, quiet peaceful dust clouds here.
Speaker 2: No, we are chasing monsters.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it. I mean, if you want to understand the calm, relatively cold universe, you look at visible light or infrared, right.
Speaker 2: The stuff Hubble or James Web does exactly right.
Speaker 3: But if you want to understand the true extremes of astrophysics, you absolutely must look at the X ray spectrum.
Speaker 2: So what exactly are we looking for? Like, what makes these X rays so special?
Speaker 3: Well, there is a distinction we should establish right away between soft X rays and hard X rays. Okay, because this new Japanese telescope it's specifically hunting the hard.
Speaker 2: Ones, got it? So what's the difference?
Speaker 3: Soft X rays have lower energy levels, and they are emitted by things like the million degree gas sitting in the corona of our sun.
Speaker 2: Which is still incredibly hot.
Speaker 3: Sure yeah, but hard X rays carry significantly more energy. They are the direct fingerprints of cataclysmic cosmic violence.
Speaker 2: Cosmic violence, I love that term. What does that actually look like?
Speaker 3: We are talking about enormous bursts of hard X rays being violently expelled when magnetic field lines snap and reconnect during massive solar flares, or we're talking about the detonation of dying stars, you know, the supernovae that completely outshine their entire host galaxies.
Speaker 2: Just unimaginably huge explosions, right.
Speaker 3: And perhaps most dramatically hard X rays are essentially the scream of superheated matter swirling violently around the event horizons of black holes.
Speaker 2: Oh man, the stuff falling in.
Speaker 3: Yes, it gets accelerated to millions of degrees by intense friction right before it crosses that threshold and just falls in forever.
Speaker 2: So basically the most dramatic spectacular events in the cosmos are happening constantly right over our heads.
Speaker 3: All the time twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: But here is the massive physical barrier to actually seeing any of it. Earth is atmosphere completely utterly absorbs these X rays before they ever reach the ground, which I have to point out, from a biological standpoint, is the only reason we are even alive to discuss it today. Unquestionably, Yeah, I mean we'd be cooked otherwise exactly. I always think of our atmosphere as this incredibly dense wrap round pair of heavy duty lead lined sunglasses.
Speaker 3: That's a really good analogy.
Speaker 2: Because visible light trickles through just fine, right, which is why our human eyes evolve to see that specific narrow band of the electromagnetic.
Speaker 3: Spectrum, right, We adapted to the light that actually makes it down here exactly.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to ionizing radiation, the kind of high energy X rays that violently strip electrons away from atoms and you know, shattered DNA molecules, the atmosphere is an absolute vault.
Speaker 3: It's a total lockdown. The nitrogen and oxygen molecules high above us intercept those X ray photons through a process called photoelectric absorption, okay, and it is absolutely essential for keeping the fragile biology of Earth safe from being sterilized by cosmic radiation.
Speaker 2: So great for not getting vaporized, very great, But it is incredibly frustrating if you are an astrophysicist trying to look at the blinding flashes of a solar flare.
Speaker 3: Oh it's maddening. And the historical context of that frustration is actually super fascinating when you think about the timeline of astronomy. Oh so well, for thousands of years, human beings looked up at the night sky, you know, charted the stars tracked the planets.
Speaker 2: Like the ancient Greeks the Mayans.
Speaker 3: Right, and they genuinely believed they were seeing the whole picture of.
Speaker 2: The universe, because that's all they could see.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But they were completely blind to the high energy reality. They were only seeing that tiny slid of the electromagnetic spectrum that makes it through the atmospheric sunglasses.
Speaker 2: So the entire X ray universe, the violent, churning, high energy cosmos, was entirely invisible.
Speaker 3: To us, completely invisible. It wasn't until the mid twentieth century, specifically around the late nineteen forties and early nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Wait that recently, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was when scientists first put rudimentary Geiger counters onto captured V two rockets and sent them above the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Wow. So they literally had to shoot a rocket up there just to realize what was happening.
Speaker 3: Right, And that was the exact moment we realized the sky wasn't just twinkling peacefully, it was glowing and pulsing with intense X ray radiation.
Speaker 2: That must have been a mind blowing discovery.
Speaker 3: It changed everything because to understand the fundamental laws of physics, gravity and magnetism, you really have to study these high temperature processes.
Speaker 2: So imagine knowing that the most spectacular fireworks show imaginable is happening right above your head twenty four hours a day, but you are permanently trapped inside a house with no windows, sitting behind this impenetrable curtain of air.
Speaker 3: That is exactly the dilemma. Ground based X ray astronomy is not just difficult, it is a physical impossibility.
Speaker 2: Because the atmosphere acts like a solid brow wall for those high energy photons.
Speaker 3: A total brick wall.
Speaker 2: So because observation from the surface is a complete non starter, you are forced to bypass the atmosphere entirely.
Speaker 3: You have to go to space.
Speaker 2: You have to, and historically scientists started with high altitude weather balloons trying to get just above the thickest part of the air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was step one.
Speaker 2: When they moved to suborbital sounding rockets and eventually the massive permanent satellites we have up there today.
Speaker 3: But here's the catch. Just getting your instrument above the atmosphere is only solving half the problem.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The real nightmare, the true engineering paradox that basically melted my brain when I first understood it, is trying to actually catch and focus a hard X ray once you're up there in the vacuum of space.
Speaker 2: Because the moment you try to build a telescope for X rays, you have to completely discard the everyday intuitive understanding of how mirrors work. You really do, because think about it. When you picture a telescope, you picture a large curved piece of glass coated in a highly reflective metal.
Speaker 3: Right, like a big satellite dish for light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a massive, precisely engineered version of the mirror in your bathroom. Exactly, light hits the curve surface, bounces off, and focuses perfectly onto a single point where an eyepiece or a digital sensor sits.
Speaker 3: That's standard optics.
Speaker 2: You point a regular curve mirror at a distant star and boom, you have an image.
Speaker 3: But you absolutely cannot do that with X rays, And the underlying physics of why you can't is crucial to understanding this Japanese team's breakthrough.
Speaker 2: So break that down for us. Why doesn't a normal mirror work for an X ray?
Speaker 3: Well, normal mirrors rely on visible light photons, which have relatively long wavelengths and low energy. When visible light hits the atomic sit structure of silver or aluminum coating. It interacts with the electron clouds of those atoms and just bounces right back.
Speaker 2: It reflects right.
Speaker 3: But X rays, especially hard X rays, carry an immense amount of energy. Their wavelengths are incredibly.
Speaker 2: Short, so they don't bounce.
Speaker 3: No, if you point a normal dish shaped mirror directly at a black hole emitting hard X rays, the photon doesn't bounce, It punches straight through the mirror.
Speaker 2: It just glasts right through the glass, straight.
Speaker 3: Through, or it gets completely absorbed by the atomic structure of the mirror itself. Wow, it's the fundamental defining property of high energy photons. They penetrate matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's exactly why we use them for medical imaging, right to look at broken bones inside the human body.
Speaker 3: Exactly. They pass right through the soft tissue because the carbon and water molecules in our flesh don't have the density to stop them.
Speaker 2: The bones are dense enough to cast a shadow, but the flesh isn't right.
Speaker 3: So, in an astronomical context, if you build hi traditional dish shaped parabolic mirror and flight above the atmosphere, the high energy X rays from a solar flare will just blast straight into the dish and vanish into the metal.
Speaker 2: You get nothing.
Speaker 3: You get zero reflection, zero focus, and therefore absolutely no data.
Speaker 2: So how do you fix it? How do you make something that just wants to punch through a wall actually bounce off it.
Speaker 3: It's a geometry problem.
Speaker 2: And the analogy that really clarifies this geometry for me is the skipping stone.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a perfect analogy, right.
Speaker 2: Think about standing at the edge of a completely still pond with a rock in your hand. If you stand right over the water and throw the rock straight down, which is the equivalent of an X ray hitting a normal mirror face on, what happens.
Speaker 3: The rock just breaks the surface tension instantly and sinks right to the bottom exactly.
Speaker 2: It sinks. But if you want that rock to bounce, if you want to skip the stone across the surface of the pond, you have to change your geometry.
Speaker 3: You have to get down low.
Speaker 2: You have to get down low to the water and throw the rock at an incredibly shape, almost perfectly horizontal angle.
Speaker 3: You have to make it graze the surface, yes, graze it. And the physics concept governing this in optics is literally called grazing incidents.
Speaker 2: Grazing incidents. Okay, so how does that work with X rays?
Speaker 3: Well, the refractive index of all materials for X rays is actually slightly.
Speaker 2: Less than one, which means what exactly?
Speaker 3: It means that, unlike visible light, which bends when it enters glass, X rays exhibit a phenomenon called total external reflection. But only, and this is a huge only under extremely specific conditions.
Speaker 2: Let me guess the skipping stone conditions exactly.
Speaker 3: The only physical way to make a hard X ray reflect off a surface without being absorbed is if it strikes that surface at a microscopic grazing angle.
Speaker 2: How microscopic are we talking?
Speaker 3: We are talking about an angle of incidents that is often less than a single.
Speaker 2: Degree, less than one degree.
Speaker 3: Yes, it has to skim the metallic surface, exactly like your skipping stone skimming the water.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, hold on. If the the X rays are only skipping off the very edges of this surface at a one degree angle, doesn't that mean the actual like catching area of the telescope is almost non existent?
Speaker 3: Yes, you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 2: Because if you point a flat cylinder at the sky, the frontal area intercepting the light is just the razor thin rim of the cylinder, right, aren't you basically throwing away ninety nine percent of the photons you just flew all the way to space to catch.
Speaker 3: You absolutely are, and you are hitting on the exact critical flaw of grazing incidence optics.
Speaker 2: It seems so inefficient it is.
Speaker 3: The effective collecting area is abysmally small compared to a standard telescope because you can only catch the photons that hit the extreme inner edge of the mirror at that sub one degree angle. The vast majority of the X rays just passed straight down the empty middle of the tube without touching anything.
Speaker 2: So they just fly straight through the hole, yeah, or.
Speaker 3: They hit the outside of the tube and are totally lost. This is exactly why doctor Ikuyuki Mitsuishi, the project leader from the Graduate School of Science at Nagoya University, described their mirror specifically as a very precise.
Speaker 2: Funnel, A funnel that makes so much sense, not a dish, not a bowl, A hollow cylinder that narrows exactly. The X rays enter the open top of the barrel, skip off these smoothly sloped inside walls at that tiny grazing angle and get funneled down into a concentrated point where a digital detector sits at the bottom.
Speaker 3: But and this is a massive butt. The requirement of that incredibly shallow angle creates an engineering and manufacturing nightmare that basically borders on the impossible.
Speaker 2: Because the tolerances have to be so tight, beyond tight.
Speaker 3: Because the reflection angle is so shallow, the margin for physical error on the surface of that funnel is effectively.
Speaker 2: Zero, zero margin for error.
Speaker 3: We are not talking about millimeter precision here. We are not even talking about micrometer precision.
Speaker 2: And what are we talking about.
Speaker 3: We are operating in the realm of nanometer level precision.
Speaker 2: Nanometer.
Speaker 3: Yes, Doctor Mitsuishi emphasized that if any part of the interior of this funnel is even slightly misaligned, or if the surface texture is slightly rough at a microscopic level, the X ray photons will not bounce toward the focal point.
Speaker 2: They'll just scatter everywhere.
Speaker 3: They will scatter wildly, They will miss the tiny digital detector completely, and the million dollar image you just went to space to capture becomes nothing more than a useless blurry smudge of static.
Speaker 2: Just to establish what nanimeter precision actually looks, like, for you guys listening, a nanometer is one billionth of a meter, right.
Speaker 3: It's almost unimaginably small.
Speaker 2: A standard human hair is roughly eighty thousand to one hundred thousand nanimeters thick.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we are talking about shaping and polishing the interior wall of a metallic barrel to a degree of absolute smoothness that is tens of thousands of times smaller than the width of a single hair.
Speaker 3: And achieving that kind of surface smoothness and a sterile, pristine, temperature controlled vibration isolated optical laboratory on Earth is a monumental undertaking on its own, right.
Speaker 2: Just doing it on a desk is hard enough.
Speaker 3: But this is where the aerospace variable completely ruins your day. Oh no, because this is not a lab experiment meant to sit nicely on a heavy granite table. This is a space telescope.
Speaker 2: Right. So you spend months, maybe years, building this flawless nanometer precise optical masterpiece, and then what is the very next step.
Speaker 3: You put it on a rocket.
Speaker 2: You strap it to the top of a giant metal tube filled with highly explosive rocket fuel, and you basically detonate it exactly.
Speaker 3: The agonizing reality of aerospace engineering is that you must subject incredibly delicate instruments to pure, unadulterated physical.
Speaker 2: Brutality, so counterintuitive.
Speaker 3: During a rocket launch, the payload inside the faring experiences a gauntlet of destructive forces.
Speaker 2: Like what is the telescope actually going through?
Speaker 3: First, there are the immense g forces of acceleration physically crushing down on the structure as it blasts.
Speaker 2: Off the path right just the raw speed.
Speaker 3: Then you have massive thermal expansion contraction as the rocket moves from the ambient temperature of launchpad, pushing through the friction of the atmosphere and into the freezing vacuum of space.
Speaker 2: So the metal is heating up and shrinking down rapidly.
Speaker 3: Yes, but the most destructive force for optics, believe it or not, is acoustic sound.
Speaker 2: Sound destroys telescopes, oh absolutely.
Speaker 3: The acoustic shockwaves generated by the rocket engines are so phenomenally loud, often exceeding one hundred forty to one hundred and fifty decibels.
Speaker 2: That's like standing inside a jet engine.
Speaker 3: It is. The sound waves alone can literally shatter rigid materials. The physical vibrations are just bone rattling.
Speaker 2: It's the aerospace equivalent of taking a finely tuned, meticulously balanced Swiss watch, throwing it into an industrial pain shaker, turning it on high for ten minutes, and expecting it to keep perfect time when you take it out.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what it is. And after all of that chaotic violence, when the firing finally opens in the dead silence of space, that nanometer precision has to be completely utterly inact.
Speaker 2: If a single piece of the internal mirror assembly is shifted by what the width of a bacteria.
Speaker 3: The optics are ruined.
Speaker 2: The optics are ruined, and the mission just fails.
Speaker 3: Complete failure, which brings the engineers to a very harsh realization, which was the astronomers at Nogoya University understood that traditional telescope manufacturing techniques were simply not going to survive this environment, right.
Speaker 2: Because how do you traditionally make these things.
Speaker 3: Historically, if you wanted to build a grazing incidence X ray telescope, you would grind curved pieces of glass or metal, and then you would physically bolt those different curve segments together to form the funnel.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, you build it in pieces.
Speaker 3: Right, But a multipart mirror inherently has joints. It has seams. It relies on brackets, epoxy and microscopic screws.
Speaker 2: And under the extreme acoustic stress and vibration of a rocket ascent, seams are fatal fatal.
Speaker 3: Where there is a joint, there is the potential for movement.
Speaker 2: A seam is basically a structural vulnerability waiting to.
Speaker 3: Happen exactly moving parts shift during launch, if your mirror shifts, your focal point shifts, and.
Speaker 2: Even beyond the structural weakness, seams are the moral enemy of grazing incidents optics from a pure physics standpoint.
Speaker 3: Aren't they oh entirely. If you construct a cylindrical funnel out of say four separate curved pieces of metal, there will always inevitably be a microscopic gap or a raised ridge where those pieces.
Speaker 2: Meet, because nothing is truly perfect when bolted together. Right.
Speaker 3: So when a high energy X ray photon skips along the surface and encounters that seam, it doesn't just gracefully hop over it. It trips, It hits the ridge and deflects randomly. It scatters A seamed mirror, bleeds light, and just completely destroys your image resolution.
Speaker 2: So the Nagoya team needed a mirror with no moving parts, no brackets, no bolts, and absolutely no seams none. They needed a single, continuous, perfectly smooth, monolithic shell.
Speaker 3: A single piece of metal.
Speaker 2: But they also quickly realized they couldn't just call up a traditional commercial telescope manufacturer to build it right, No.
Speaker 3: Because traditional lens grinders don't make seamless metal funnels. It's not in their wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: So to solve an optical problem this complex, they had to step entirely outside of their own field of astronomy.
Speaker 3: They did they needed the hyper specialized precision of particle physicists, which is wild it is. They basically had to ask themselves, who on Earth is already spending billions of dollars to build incredibly precise, indestructible, perfectly smooth funnels for high energy X rays.
Speaker 2: And the answer was not an observatory.
Speaker 3: No, the answer was spring eight.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, you're telling me telescope engineers couldn't figure out how to build a space telescope. So they went to the people who smashed subatomic particles together.
Speaker 3: I know it sounds like science fiction, but yes, that's exactly what happened? Spring eight is a massive world renowned research facility located in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan, Okay. It is not an astronomical observatory. It is a synchrotron radiation facility.
Speaker 2: A synchotron. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is one of the most powerful and advanced X ray research installations on the entire planet, characterized by this massive circular ring measuring nearly one point five kilometers in circumfort.
Speaker 2: What exactly happens inside a one point five kilometer ring, Like, what are they doing in there?
Speaker 3: Particle physicists take electrons, inject them into a massive circular vacuum tube, and use incredibly powerful electromagnets to accelerate those electrons until they are moving at very nearly the speed of light, which is fast, unbelievably fast. Now, according to the laws of electro dynamics, when you take a charged particle moving at relativistic speeds and you force it to bend its path to travel around a curve rather than in a straight line, it sheds energy.
Speaker 2: It bleeds it off, right.
Speaker 3: It bleeds off that energy in the form of incredibly intense, bright and highly focused beams of X rays oh ICEE and that brilliant light is called synchrotron radiation.
Speaker 2: And researchers from all over the world travel to Spring eight to tap into those intense X ray beams, right they do. They use them to map the atomic structure of new pharmaceutical drugs, to analyze the molecular weaknesses of advanced aerospace alloys, to peer inside the chemical reactions of next generation batteries. But here is the massive catch. To actually utilize those blindingly powerful X ray beams in their laboratories, the Spring eight physicists had to figure out how to physically corral and focus them.
Speaker 3: Because you can't just let that kind of beam fly around the room exactly.
Speaker 2: They had to invent their own ultra precise mirror technologies just to safely balance the X rays generated by their own particle accelerator into their experimental stations without melting their equipment or losing the beam.
Speaker 3: And this is where the cross disciplinary brilliance of the project truly shines.
Speaker 2: It's such a cool collaboration, it really is.
Speaker 3: You have the astronomy team from Negro University who deeply understood the complex optical mathematics required to image the Sun.
Speaker 2: And who knew exactly what kind of brutal payload stresses a rocket launch wood inflick.
Speaker 3: Right, And they teamed up with the synchrotron radiation community at Spring eight, who possessed the bleeding edge proprietary manufacturing technology required to physically craft these exotic seamless mirrors.
Speaker 2: It is basically a flawless marriage of space astronomy and high energy particle physics.
Speaker 3: It is so they join forces and they aren't grinding massive blocks of glass. They use a proprietary manufacturing technique perfected at Spring eight called precision electroforming.
Speaker 2: Precision electroforming. Yes, Now, electroforming is a word that gets thrown around, but how do you actually grow a seamless metal mirror from scratch? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: It is essentially three D printing at an atomic.
Speaker 2: Scale, domic scale three D printing.
Speaker 3: Okay, The electroforming process completely inverses the concept of carving a mirror. You don't start with a block of metal and hollow it out. Instead, you start with a master mold, which is called a mandrel.
Speaker 2: A mandrel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, This mandrel is a solid cylinder of metal, usually aluminium or a specialized alloy that has been machined and polished to absolute subnanometer.
Speaker 2: Perfections, so it's perfectly smooth.
Speaker 3: Completely and the outside of the mantrel is shaped exactly like the negative space of the empty funnel they want to create.
Speaker 2: Ah, I get it. So you spend all your time polishing the solid block, not the hollow tube.
Speaker 3: Precisely, it is much easier to polish the outside of a solid object than the inside of a narrow tube.
Speaker 2: Well, that makes total sense.
Speaker 3: So once the mandrel's exterior is flawlessly smooth, they submerge it into an electrochemical bath rich in dissolved nickel ions.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's taking a bath in nickel right.
Speaker 3: By running a highly controlled electrical current through the bath, the positively charged nickel ions are drawn to the surface of the mandrel likegamagnet exactly like that, they deposit themselves onto the mold, atom by microscopic atom, layer by incredibly thin layer. Wow, the nickel slowly builds up, creating a metallic shell that conforms perfectly down to the atomic level to the nanometer smooth surface of the mandril.
Speaker 2: And because the nickel atoms are bonding to each other molecularly as they deposit. There are no seams, none, There are no joints. It is a single, continuous crystalline structure of pure metal.
Speaker 3: Yes, And once the nickel shell has grown thick enough to be structurally sound, they cool the entire assembly down.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do they cool it?
Speaker 3: Because the aluminum mandrel and the nickel shell have different coefficients of thermal expansion OI. See, the mandrel shrinks slightly more than the nickel when cooled, allowing them to carefully slide the hollow nickel shell right off the mold.
Speaker 2: That is so clever. And what you are left with is the ultimate X ray.
Speaker 3: Funnel, the ultimate funnel.
Speaker 2: The specific mirror shell they manufactured for this mission is roughly sixty millimeters across and two hundred millimeters tall.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's lightweight, it is incredibly rigid, and because it is seamless, it has absolute optical purity.
Speaker 3: Crucially a vastly superior chance of surviving the acoustic paint shaker of a rocket ascent.
Speaker 2: Right. But the shape of this funnel is not just a simple straight walled cone, is it.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: The geometry of the interior wall is mathematically complex. The entire mirror assembly, which stands about two hundred and fifty millimeters tall when fully mounted in his housing, actually utilizes two distinct, highly specific geometric curves to focus.
Speaker 3: The light right, and this is known in physics as Wolter optics ulter optics. Okay, yes, specifically Vulter type I optics, named after the German physicist Hans Walter, who first proposed the design way back in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: So it's an old theory finally perfectly realized exactly.
Speaker 3: The electroformed nickelshell is divided into two sections. The upper section of the mirror features a parableloidal curve, while the lower section features a hyperboloidal curve.
Speaker 2: Wait, if the goal is just to skip the X ray down to the bottom of the funnel, why on earth do you need two completely different mathematical.
Speaker 3: Shapes tams overly complicated?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, why wouldn't a single smooth curve work.
Speaker 3: It all comes down to correcting optical aberrations. If you build a funnel using only a single parabolic curve, you run into a massive problem called coma aberration.
Speaker 2: Coma aberration, yes.
Speaker 3: Which violates what physicists call the abissine condition.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's ground that. What does a coma aberration actually do to the image of a star?
Speaker 3: What would I see if an X ray enters a single curve funnel slightly off axis, meaning it doesn't come straight down the absolute dead center of the barrel, which.
Speaker 2: It almost never will.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, the single bounce will cause the focal point to smear. Instead of seeing a sharp, tiny dot representing the star, you will see a blurred shape that looks like a comet with a trailing tail.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen pictures like that. Right.
Speaker 3: That tail is the coma aberration. It destroys the high resolution data you are trying to collect. Hans Walter realized that to properly focus grazing incidents ex to a flawlessly sharp point across a wider field of view without massive distortion. Skipping the photon just once isn't enough.
Speaker 2: You have to bounce it twice.
Speaker 3: Exactly, You bounce it twice to correct the optical path link.
Speaker 2: So walk me through the path of a photon here.
Speaker 3: Okay, the high energy X ray enters the top of the telescope, skips off the upper parabloidal section, travels a few centimeters, then hits the lower hyperbloidal section, skips off again, and finally angles perfectly down into the focal point where the detector sits.
Speaker 2: It's like a perfectly banked double shot and pool.
Speaker 3: It really is. The two highly specific curves work in tandem to cancel out the optical distortion.
Speaker 2: And the sheer brilliance of the Spring eight electroforming process is that it allows them to grow this incredibly complex two stage geometric curve perfectly seamlessly inside a single solid piece of nickel.
Speaker 3: It is an absolute masterpiece of engineering.
Speaker 2: It really is. So the Nagoya and Spring eight teams have successfully built this in this instructible, seamlessly grown dual bounce Wolter funnel.
Speaker 3: The hardware is ready.
Speaker 2: The hardware is ready. But here arises the next massive logistical nightmare.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because you can't just trust it without checking it.
Speaker 2: Right Before you can strap this multimillion dollar piece of custom hardware to a rocket and hurl it into the upper atmosphere, you have to verify that it actually works.
Speaker 3: You have to test it on the ground.
Speaker 2: And testing a high resolution space telescope on Earth requires you to simulate the exact conditions of outer space. Right, you have to fake a.
Speaker 3: Star, which sounds conceptually straightforward until you look at the geometry of starlight.
Speaker 2: Exactly, when we look up at a star of the night sky, we are looking at an object that is trillions of miles away.
Speaker 3: It's incomprehensibly distant.
Speaker 2: Right, because the light source is located at a distance approaching infinity from our perspective. By the time those specific light rays travel across the vacuum of space and reach Earth, they are no longer spreading out in all directions.
Speaker 3: The geometric spread is so minimal that the rays are essentially perfectly completely parallel to one another.
Speaker 2: Right, scarlight arrives at our atmosphere is parallel rays, and the complicated parabloid hyperboloid geometry of the Wolter mirror we just discussed is specifically mathematically designed to take parallel rays of light and fold them down into a single microscopic point. But if you try to test this mirror in a normal, standard sized laboratory room, say by taking an X ray emitter and placing it ten or twenty feet away from.
Speaker 3: The funnel, the geometry completely fails because it's too close, way too close. The X rays coming out of a machine from ten feet away are still spreading out violently. They're diverging rays.
Speaker 2: So if you point the telescope at a lab source ten feet away, the diverging X rays hit the interior walls of the funnel at the wrong angles, completely the wrong angle, The dual bounce mechanism won't function correctly, and the resulting image on the detector will be a blurry mess.
Speaker 3: Right, And the worst part is the engineers wouldn't know if the image was blurry because the electroform mirror was physically flawed, or simply because the test environment was geometrically inc.
Speaker 2: So you can't trust the test.
Speaker 3: You can't to truly recreate the parallel rays of deep space starlight on the ground, you need immense, almost absurd distance between the light source and the mirror, which.
Speaker 2: Is exactly why the team engineered a testing system at the Spring eight facility that is staggering in its scale. It's massive To force those diverging X rays to mimic the parallel nature of starlight, they had to place their artificial star a microscopic X ray point source a full nine hundred meters away from the telescope mirror.
Speaker 3: Nine hundred meters, almost a full kilometer.
Speaker 2: This brings us right back to the visual We started with a highway. Yes, imagine a corridor nearly a kilometer long. At one far end of this massive hallway you mount the sixty millimeters wide telescope mirror. At the absolute other end you place the X ray source.
Speaker 3: And we must emphasize the scale of that source.
Speaker 2: Too, right, it's not a floodlight.
Speaker 3: No. To test the extreme resolution limits of the mirror, you cannot use a massive, blinding source. The X ray points source they used at Spring eight was a mere ten micrometers across.
Speaker 2: The human hair is roughly eighty to one hundred micrometers thick. Yeah, this artificial star they built is a fraction of the width of a single human hair.
Speaker 3: It's basically a spec.
Speaker 2: The alignment challenge alone is mind boggling. They had to take a microscopic, invisible beam of high energy radiation and aim it perfectly down a nine hundred meter corridor to strike a target the size of a coffee mug.
Speaker 3: But the geometry works.
Speaker 2: It does. Yes.
Speaker 3: By traveling that extreme nine hundred meter distance, the widely diverging rays spread out so massively that the tiny specific fraction of photons that actually managed to enter the sixty millimeter opening of the mirror are for all practical mathematical purposes perfectly parallel. Wow, it flawlessly mimics the physics of incoming starlight.
Speaker 2: Wait, the atmosphere ruins everything again, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, of course it does.
Speaker 2: You can't just fire hard X rays down a regular hallway for a kilometer. The air in the room will absorb and scatter the beam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you attempted to fire a hard X ray beam through nine hundred meters of standard atmospheric air, the photoelectric absorption and compton scattering caused by the nitrogen and oxygen molecules would completely degrade the beam.
Speaker 2: It would just get eaten up by the.
Speaker 3: Air exactly by the time it reached the mirror, there would be practically no photons left to reflect.
Speaker 2: So to solve the air problem, they enclosed the entire nine hundred meters beam path inside specialized vacuum tubes.
Speaker 3: That is just wild to think about.
Speaker 2: They constructed a kilometer long vacuum chamber underground at the Spring eight facility, pumping out all the atmosphere strictly to test a piece of metal the size of a mug.
Speaker 3: It highlights the extreme lengths required to push the boundaries of modern astrophysics. You have to move mountains just to test your gear.
Speaker 2: And the results they gathered from the subterranean vacuum tests were spectacular.
Speaker 3: Oh a total success.
Speaker 2: The digital detectors captured color coded X ray images, proving that the Walter optics were successfully bouncing the high energy photons exactly as simulated.
Speaker 3: Focusing them down into a spectacularly sharp central point.
Speaker 2: They achieved that mind bending resolution we talked about at the beginning, the ability to visually resolve an object three point five millimeters wide from a full kilometer away.
Speaker 3: Which is just incredible. But the scale of this test facility brings up an incredibly important point regarding the broader impact of this research.
Speaker 2: Right because this massive nine hundred meters vacuum tube wasn't just a temporary stunt hastily assembled for this one specific telescope shell, was it not at all?
Speaker 3: Rito Fuji, the first author of the research study and a former master student deeply involved in the project, articulated the true lasting value of what they constructed.
Speaker 2: At Spring eight and what is that lasting value.
Speaker 3: This isn't just a win for Nagoya University. This specific bean line setup is the very first ground based system anywhere in the world capable of accurately evaluating the performance of high resolution X ray based telescopes, specifically operating at hard X ray and energy levels.
Speaker 2: And the most vital part of that achievement is that the facility is now available to the global scientific community.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it's a resource. Now.
Speaker 2: Any university or space agency developing similar high energy grazing incidence technology can now bring their mirrors to Hiogo, put them in the nine hundred meters vacuum tube, and definitively prove their hardware functions before spending hundreds of millions of dollars securing a rocket launch.
Speaker 3: It is a massive infrastructural contribution to global astronomy.
Speaker 2: So, with the nine hundred meter ground test a resounding quantified success, the Electrofolm mirror was declared flight ready, it was time to go. The geometry held, the resolution was verified. Now it was finally time to leave the pristine, temperature controlled safety of the Springing laboratory and head to the launch pad.
Speaker 3: It was time for the fa excise for mission In.
Speaker 2: April of twenty twenty four, the team packed up their seamless electroform Marble, crossed the Pacific and transported it to the freezing, desolate launch pads of the Poke Flat Research Range in Alaska. Right now, when most people think of a space launch, they picture Cape.
Speaker 3: Canaverl, Florida, sun palm trees.
Speaker 2: Right. They picture a massive SpaceX Falcon nine or an Atlas V rocketing a school bus size satellite into permanent orbit around the Earth, where we'll operate for twenty years.
Speaker 3: But FOXSI four was a sounding rocket mission.
Speaker 2: Right. What fundamentally separates a sounding rocket from the orbital launches we usually see on the news It.
Speaker 3: Is a completely different operational paradigm. An orbital launch vehicle uses hundreds of tons of liquid fuel to push a payload up above the atmosphere. Ok, and then critically, it must accelerate that payload horizontally at thousands of miles.
Speaker 2: Per hour, right, because you have to stay up there.
Speaker 3: Orbit is essentially moving sideways so incredibly fast that as gravity pulls you down, the curvature of the Earth falls away beneath you at the exact same rate.
Speaker 2: You're constantly falling and constantly missing the ground.
Speaker 3: But a sounding rocket doesn't do that.
Speaker 2: What does it do?
Speaker 3: A sounding rocket doesn't have the immense fuel capacity required to achieve horizontal orbital velocity. A sounding rocket is essentially a suborbital parabolic shot, like an arc right. It fires straight up into the sky, reaches the atmosphere, reaches the vacuum of space, and then almost immediately falls straight back down to Earth.
Speaker 2: It is the aerospace equivalent of throwing a baseball straight up into.
Speaker 3: The air exactly. It carries the scientific instruments briefly into space, giving them a few minutes of weightlessness and a perfectly clear, unobstructed view of the cosmos above the atmospheric shielding okay, and then the entire payload descends on a parachute to be recovered in the Alaskan wilderness.
Speaker 2: So it is an unbelievably harsh, incredibly fast paced environment, highly stressful because when you launch a satellite like the James Web space telescope, engineers spend months carefully unfolding mirrors, calibrating sensors, and running diagnostics before taking a single picture.
Speaker 3: They take their time.
Speaker 2: On a sounding rocket. You don't have months. You have minutes.
Speaker 3: On a typical sounding rocket flight profile, the instruments might only be above the atmosphere and capable of observation for about five to ten minutes before gravity pulls them back down into the air.
Speaker 2: Five to ten minutes. That is a tight window.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly tight. And the FOCXSI program, which stands for Focusing Optics X Ray Solar Imager, is a collaborative international experiment specifically engineered for this rapid fire, high stakes observation window.
Speaker 2: So what are they trying to look at so quickly?
Speaker 3: Its primary scientific objective is to capture high resolution hard X ray images of the Sun's corona, to study the mechanics of solar flares, and to understand how magnetic energy is violently converted into thermal energy.
Speaker 2: Okay wow.
Speaker 3: The program has been running since twenty twelve, incrementally flying better and better instruments with each iteration, and.
Speaker 2: On April seventeenth, twenty twenty four, FOXSI four successfully blasted off from the Poker Flat Range in Alaska, carrying a payload of seven different X ray telescope modules YEP. One of those seven was the seamless electroform nickel funnel developed by the cross disciplinary team from Nagoya University and Spring eight.
Speaker 3: And you know, the historical and emotional weight of that specific launch really cannot be overstated.
Speaker 2: I hain't of imagine.
Speaker 3: Doctor Mitswishi and his dedicated team of graduate students were physically present at the Alaskan Range to watch.
Speaker 2: The countdown, standing out there in the freezing cold.
Speaker 3: Standing in the cold, feeling the deafening, bone rattling roar of the solid rocket motors, vibrating in their chests.
Speaker 2: Just hoping their mirror holes together.
Speaker 3: Right, they were watching the absolute culmination of years of theoretical optical physics, particle accelerator engineering, and relentless ground testing blast off into the sky.
Speaker 2: It was a huge milestone moment. It was the very first time a domestically developed Japanese high resolution X ray telescope had ever flown on an international sounding rocket.
Speaker 3: Mission, and the technology delivered exactly as promised. It survived, It survived the acoustic shockwaves and the extreme g forces of the launch ascent did not destroy the optics.
Speaker 2: The lack of seam saved it absolutely.
Speaker 3: The seamless nickelshell grown atom by atom and an electrochemical bath held it shape perfectly.
Speaker 2: So what did they see While the payload.
Speaker 3: Was coasting above the atmosphere in its brief window of microgravity, The telescope pointed at the Sun and successfully observed a solar flare.
Speaker 2: In progress, a live solar flare.
Speaker 3: Yes, the dual bounce Walter geometry functioned flawlessly in a vacuum, focusing the high energy hard X ray photons emitted by the snapping magnetic field lines exactly as the nine hundred meter ground test predicted it would.
Speaker 2: That is just such a massive triumph. It is but the defining characteristic of a truly great scientific team, so that they never just popped the champagne, declared total victory and move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, they immediately start looking for what went.
Speaker 2: Wrong exactly despite this massive historic success. The moment they recovered the payload and downloaded the telemetry, they immediately began tearing apart the data to find the flaws.
Speaker 3: They wanted to know why the image resolution wasn't even more perfect.
Speaker 2: That relentless, critical pursuit of incremental improvement is the fundamental engine of the scientific method.
Speaker 3: It really is. So.
Speaker 2: By heavily scrutinizing the performance data and an image resolution captured during the FISI four flight. The Nagoya team actually identified the primary limiting factor that prevented the mirror from achieving even sharper theoretical perfection.
Speaker 3: They found the weak link and what was the culprit?
Speaker 2: Did the structural housing bend under the G forces? Did the digital detector fail?
Speaker 3: No, the overall structure remained entirely sound. The limitation came down to the absolute microscopic boundaries of the electroforming manufacturing process itself.
Speaker 2: Really, the atom by adom printing wasn't good enough.
Speaker 3: They discovered that there were still infinitesimally tiny imperfections along the internal length of the nickel mirror surface.
Speaker 2: How tiny are we talking.
Speaker 3: We are not talking about major structural warping or visible seams. We are talking about microscopic textual variations at the atomic lattice level wow Angstrom level roughness in the crystalline structure of the nickel that caused a small fraction of the hard X rays to scatter slightly more than the theoretical physics models predicted.
Speaker 2: So, even after utilizing bleeding edge particle accelerator technology to grow a mirror atom by atom, the universe still demands an even smoother surface to properly reflect its highest energy light.
Speaker 3: But identifying the exact nature of the problem is the most important.
Speaker 2: Step in science, right because now you can fix it.
Speaker 3: Because they isolated the scattering effect to atomic level surface roughness, they now possess a perfectly clear, actionable target for improvement.
Speaker 2: They know what to tweak.
Speaker 3: They know exactly what parameters of the electrochemical bath, perhaps the deposition rate, the temperature, or the ion concentration they need to refine in the electroforming process to make the next iteration of the mandrel and the shell even smoother.
Speaker 2: And they are already back in the laboratory working on it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they didn't waste any time because.
Speaker 2: A newly refined, improved version of this seamless telescope is already manifested and scheduled to fly on the upcoming foc SSI five mission slated for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Which is coming up fast.
Speaker 2: So we have a fully validated manufacturing process, a successful suborbital launch, a working high resolution telescope, and a concrete roadmap to make the next one even sharper.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible timeline.
Speaker 2: But refining the surface texture to get a flightly clearer picture of a solar flare. Isn't the ultimate endgame of this project now, not at all. The true ambition of the Nagoya team is vastly more expansive. The real goal is to take this validated, highly efficient seamless mirror technology and use it to forcefully shrink the entire paradigm of space exploration.
Speaker 3: We are talking about facilitating a massive paradigm shift in astrophysics SOSO, the transition from relying exclusively on colossal, multi billion dollar government observatories to deploying agile, highly accessible, inexpensive fleets of tiny satellites.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that future, the shoebox future of astronomy. I love that phrase. When the average person thinks of space telescopes, they picture the Hubble Space telescope or the James Webb Space Telescope.
Speaker 3: Right, the big ones.
Speaker 2: These machines are massive school bus size behemoths. They weigh several tons, They are huge, They require decades of international political maneuvering to fund billions of dollars to design, and the largest most expensive orbit rockets on the planet just to launch them.
Speaker 3: And because these monolithic observatories are so astronomically expensive and exceedingly ware, the observing time on them is one of the most fiercely competitive resources in the scientific world.
Speaker 2: I can imagine everyone wants a turn.
Speaker 3: An Astrophysicists will literally wait years, sometimes staking their entire academic career, just to secure a few precious hours of time to point one of these giant telescopes at a specific galaxy or black hole of interest.
Speaker 2: But the Nagoya University team wants to completely upend that monopolized model.
Speaker 3: They want to blow it wide open.
Speaker 2: Their long term objective is aggressive miniaturization. They want to take this lightweight, highly efficient, seamlessly electroformed X ray funnel and scale it down to the point where the entire telescope assembly, the mirror of the housing, the digital detector of the power source, and the telemetry transmitter fits entirely inside something called a cub sat.
Speaker 3: If you break down the dimensions of a cubeset, the contrast against something like Hubble becomes absolutely staggering.
Speaker 2: What are the dimensions?
Speaker 3: A CubeSat is a highly standardized class of nanosatellites. The base structural unit, known as a one U is a cube measuring exactly ten by ten by ten centimeters ten centimeters.
Speaker 2: That's tiny.
Speaker 3: You can stack a few of these standardized units together to create a three U or a six U satellite, But fundamentally we are talking about launching a fully functional deep space observatory that is roughly the physical size of a shoe box.
Speaker 2: Shoe box, compare that to a machine the size of a yellow school bus.
Speaker 3: The difference is night and day.
Speaker 2: The economic applications are massive because in aerospace engineering, mass is money.
Speaker 3: Mass is absolutely money.
Speaker 2: Every kilogram you try to lift out Earth's gravity well cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: The beauty of the CubeSat standardization is that they are phenomenally cheap to construct, often utilizing off the shelf commercial electronics for their bus systems, and they are incredibly cheap to launch because they just hit your ride exactly. Because they are so small and lightweight, they don't need a dedicated rocket. They can simply hitch a ride as secondary payload ride shares on rockets that are already going to orbit to deploy larger commercial communications satellites.
Speaker 2: But up until this specific breakthrough in Japan, the idea of putting high resolution hard X ray optics onto a cube sat was basically considered science fiction.
Speaker 3: Oh totally. People thought it was impossible.
Speaker 2: Because the traditional bolted together glass mirrors were too heavy, the optics were too physically complex, and the required focal links were too large to fit into that tiny ten centimeter form factor and survive the launch environment exactly.
Speaker 3: High resolution X ray optics have never successfully flown on cube SATs. It was physically prohibitive.
Speaker 2: But this spring eight electro formed nickel funnel fundamentally alters the equation.
Speaker 3: It changes everything.
Speaker 2: The nickel shell is incredibly lightweight because it is a single seamless structure, it is physically robust enough to survive launch without massive heavy structural support brackets, and most importantly, its optical efficiency and ability to correct COMA aberrations are so high that even a vastly scaled down version of the Wolter funnel can catch enough photons to generate highly meaningful, publishable scientific data.
Speaker 3: So if they successfully integrate these funnels into a ten centimeter box, what does this actually mean for the future of science? Why does the shoe box future of X ray astronomy matter so much?
Speaker 2: Is it completely democratizes access to the extreme universe.
Speaker 3: Democratize the space. I like that it.
Speaker 2: Takes the ability to observe the most violent, fundamental high energy processes in the cosmos out of the exclusive, monopolized hands of massively funded, multi decade government agency projects, and it puts that capability directly into the hands of a much broader, more diverse scientific community.
Speaker 3: Imagine a standard university physics department or even a well funded graduate program being able to design, physically, build, and launch their own dedicated high resolution X ray space telescope in the span of three or four.
Speaker 2: Years, or a tiny fraction of the cost of a traditional satellite.
Speaker 3: Right. The scientific yield changes dramatically when you shift from a monolithic model to a swarm model.
Speaker 2: A swarm model that sounds so cool.
Speaker 3: Instead of relying on one giant telescope attempting to look everywhere at once and missing things because its schedule is book years in advance, universities could launch a swarm of dozens of specialized shoebox sized X ray CubeSats, just.
Speaker 2: A constellation of them looking everywhere.
Speaker 3: They could monitor the entire sky continuously in real time, waiting to catch unpredictable transient events like a tidal disruption event where a black hole unexpectedly tears a wandering star part wow, or the sudden violent detonation of a supernova. A swarm of CubeSats can pivot and observe those transient phenomena immediately, whereas the big telescopes would miss them entirely because they were locked into observing a different quadrant of the sky.
Speaker 2: It opens an entirely new, highly agile, fast moving chapter and compact astrophysics.
Speaker 3: It is a truly staggering technological evolution.
Speaker 2: We have gone on an incredible journey to understand this. Today we really have. We started with the frustrating impenetrable shield of Earth's atmosphere and the fundamental, almost paradoxical physics of skipping high energy X rays like flat stones across a pond. Right. We watched astronomical engineers cross completely different scientific disciplines teaming up with particles accelerator physicists at Spring eight to literally grow seamless, mathematically perfect metal funnels layer by atomic layer.
Speaker 3: Which is still just amazing to me.
Speaker 2: We explored the sheer logistical absurdity of building a kilometer long vacuum tube deep underground just to physically verify the parallel geometry of.
Speaker 3: A fake star, that nine hundred meter test.
Speaker 2: And then we travel to the freezing wilderness of the Alaskan Poker Flat Range to strap that nanometer precise mirror to a suborbital sounding rocket surviving the violent one hundred and fifty decibel acoustic ascent to catch the invisible, high energy scream of a solar flare.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible story.
Speaker 2: And now we're looking ahead to a horizon where highly affordable fleets of shoebox sized explorers democratize our access to the extremes of the universe.
Speaker 3: It stands as a brilliant testament to human ingenuity and our refusal to accept physical limits.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: But you know, as we reflect on the specific leap forward in X ray optics, it raises a profound question that extends far beyond just astronomy.
Speaker 2: Well, what's up if.
Speaker 3: Scientists can take the massive, highly specialized, impossibly delicate equipment required to observe the universe's most violent, high energy phenomena and, through sheer cross disciplinary brilliance, miniaturize it to the point where it fits neatly inside a shoebox.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see where you're going with this.
Speaker 3: What other monumental, seemingly untouchable fields of science are about to experience the exact same revolution. That is a fascinating thought, right, What other massive laboratories, multi billion dollar particle colliders, or colossal medical instruments are about to be radically miniaturized, democratized and placed directly into the hands of everyday researchers, completely changing the pace of global scientific discovery forever.
Speaker 2: It really makes you wonder what else we might soon be able to resolve perfectly from a kilometer away down to a single grain of rice.