Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Jim Cummings here. Welcome to my podcast, tuned In with Jim Cummings. We have a great guest for you today, but before we get to that, make sure you like and subscribe. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to FANEXPOHQ dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. And with all that said and done, sit back and enjoy today's episode and as always, thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize draw and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me Tigger I am DC Wayne Duck. It's me Bunkers keep Bobcat All right, y'all, did it rate your favorite firefly you desire?
Speaker 3: Holdo old knock Gud.
Speaker 1: My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to Tuned In.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I am producer Chris, joined as always by the legend himself, mister Jim Cummings. How are you doing today, sir?
Speaker 3: It's yet another day in paradise. It's sure andy, We're here to prove it.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned absolutely, and we have a great guest for you today. But before we get to that, I have a couple announcements to make. If you didn't know what, we're actually doing this podcast live in partnership with Fan Expo this year.
Speaker 5: Yes you heard it.
Speaker 4: You can actually see this podcast recorded live at multiple Fan Expo shows, and I'll announce them for you right now. The next one that we have coming up is Philadelphia May twenty ninth to the thirty first, followed by Chicago August fourteenth to the sixteenth, Toronto August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, Dallas September eleventh to thirteenth, and San Francisco November twenty seventh to twenty ninth, So if you're in, if you're nearby, I mean, check it out. It's been a great show.
Speaker 3: Say hi, Yeah, we.
Speaker 5: Just did one with Erica Durance from Smallville. That was great.
Speaker 4: That was the biggest every week, every month, it just gets bigger and bigger.
Speaker 3: It's a little bigger and little big.
Speaker 5: It's like two thousand people in the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was amazing, and keep on coming. We'll be looking for you. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: And I feel like that live show really adds like to the dynamic of the podcast. You know, it's a little different than here in the studio, but there's audience participation. I mean you get to see it recorded live, it's on YouTube the next week and obviously Apple and everything like that. But yeah, I just really feel like there's there's an energy about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. And there's very little nudity, so you can bring.
Speaker 5: Minimal nudy, you don't very just come on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But with all that said and done, we have a very special guest for you today with I mean, looking at your credits, I mean just incredible. I mean, over four hundred voices. I'm probably lowballing that. I mean, just incredible. We'll get all into it right now, none of the than Michael Bell. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, this is a treat.
Speaker 3: Thank you, oh bless you, sir, Thank you very very much for being here.
Speaker 2: I was at as I told you, I was at the straight of horror moves. I try to figure it out and try to hear them out, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, well you know those Horrmusians.
Speaker 2: You knows exactly. And my Iranian is so bad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a joke in there about the planet Uranus too. I understand you've heard.
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot, and it's backfired on me a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Hey, but seriously, you kids are marvelous. Good night.
Speaker 5: How are you doing today.
Speaker 2: I'm good, I'm good considering. Hey, you know, I'm as I was telling him, I was telling you earlier. And I hope this doesn't affect any future considerations for series. But I'm eighty seven and and I wake up in the morning and I get out of bed and.
Speaker 3: I go nailed it.
Speaker 2: So how good I am?
Speaker 5: That's right?
Speaker 2: And also when you consider the alternative wonder But seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well you've been You've been waking up for a long time. You've been doing this.
Speaker 2: I'm jumping out of bed doing my stuff, yea. And I've been working on my impression of you, and I still haven't nailed it.
Speaker 3: Well, so am I and know?
Speaker 2: But then I've worked on Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still can't do it. I still can't do it.
Speaker 2: I watched him all during doing Dark Wing, and I'm working on my stuff and I'm watching him, So I'm gonna have to get to that sooner or later.
Speaker 3: So that explains the animosity between Cuackerjack and Dark Wing.
Speaker 2: That that was the basic reason it was so funny when we did that. Was all sitting in like you had your voice down, and we were all sitting online and line and they got the scripts in front of us, and they didn't tell us who we're playing in advance.
Speaker 3: Oh really no.
Speaker 2: So so when the scripts came down and I think Dan cast I was on my right and I was sitting there and they said, okay, Mike, you're doing your character as tracker Jack. And I said, okay, I said, I know what I'm gonna do. Do a Kirk Douglas kind of thing. Because he's so crazy, I crack his voice, you know, one of those. God, that's what I'll do. But Dan's character was first, and that's what Dan did. Now I was stuck. Now I had to come up real quick with something generic. So I came with just as wacky as sound as I possibly could. But I thought, here, I'm working on this. I said, I know exactly where I'm going to go with this guy. And that's what they used to do. They'd say when you were like, if you're if their character was first, and they happened to do the farmer that you were going to do, and the farmer number one. I'm ready and I'm Farmer number two, and I know what I'm going to do, and that was.
Speaker 3: What I was going to do.
Speaker 2: Farmer got another farmer.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 5: So is there like a moment of anxiety in that.
Speaker 2: Oh deep moment and those are our word depends because I've never was quite sure if I was gonna be able to hold an infanty. Somebody had a voice that I was going to do the character I was going to do. You just clenched.
Speaker 3: I remember showing up at the voicecaster. This is such inside ball. But speaking of William Shallard. He was, he was, he was there and Percy Rodriguez showed up and he and he said, oh great, I was gonna do you.
Speaker 2: Person, oh with that that great voice.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, anyway, Yeah, it's inside baseball there forgive us.
Speaker 2: That's okay. You know they live love, they love it. Don't they love it?
Speaker 3: Don't you love it out there?
Speaker 2: Think?
Speaker 3: Yes he does? Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Jim was telling me that he's known you since pretty much the day he got into the industry.
Speaker 2: Very very the earth was cooling, yes, yes, that's so long. He's know.
Speaker 3: How about those dinosaurs?
Speaker 2: Huh? Oh my god. Right yeah. And when she'd go like this or that's not a.
Speaker 3: Shore fitted and we were both old thank you. Yes, we know the jingle from the Dinosaur Show.
Speaker 2: People are going, who the heck isn Who's mom?
Speaker 3: She was? She was? She was with Burt Reynolds.
Speaker 2: This was Burt Ynolds. Jony remember Johnny Gerber I do. Johnny Gerber was great voice person. And we were called in to do some voices for a movie called The Man who Loved Cat Litter, A Man who loved cat dancing close and and and he was Van Reynolds and it was his film and we just kept imitating him and he didn't know it. So we knew he were different. We knew that we as voice people, even though you know, we had done someone camera I'm treating. But we knew we were different because he never got us. He'd look at us literally like he he like we were. We came in to clean the studio. We were joking and playing and doing voices and stick and he was off on the side gun, you know, fixing his mustache. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I once I did a show with with with Tom Kenny and and Uh and Uh, Peter and all these great people, Carlos, Elis Rocky and Uh. And I convinced everybody to do all of our characters as the character doing William Shatner. Oh wow, the character doing William Shatner. And we got there and I remember Peter Uh, our producer writer, is it maybe? And you know, it just could not have been more trepidacious. So we did about three or four pages of it and he said, wait a minute, we can't do this.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's great.
Speaker 3: We can't we can't do this. I was like, but we're halfway through the show. Yeah, but it's it. No, No, we just you know, it's funny, and I thought I thought it was a great idea.
Speaker 2: No, it's a great idea. It's a funny idea.
Speaker 4: I don't want to gloss over like to me that that is one of the quintessential talents of voice acting. When I you know, when I was first getting into it in college, I couldn't believe that people could imitate in a character voice another person or character.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean there's the famous you know skit of bugs Bunny imitating Elmer Fudd and Elmer Fudd imitating bugs Bunny when it's the same person. How do you do that? Like, how do you tune into that? It's it's incredible.
Speaker 2: I got to work with Meil Blank, Yes, a long time ago. It's a long story. So any event, when I teach and you teach voice, and I teach voice over the kids, and I say, plagiar eyes, don't shage your eyes. It's why God made your eyes. So if you plage yourise, it's still yours. It's your algorithm, even though it's the actor. Even though I mean, I used to do Jack Palance when I met Jack Polance because I worked for him and yeah, that kind of always had a had asthma, and his laugh was it was really creepy, really awful.
Speaker 3: And I wound up.
Speaker 2: Listening to him saying, I'm going to do that. I'm gonna do that. That's my next bad guy, my next black hat. That's chance to do him. And they said, where'd you come up with it? I said, it's just something that I would Jack Palance, I came.
Speaker 3: Up with it. Well, I have a mini philosophy that if you do a terrible impression of somebody really famous, nobody knows who it is, you have a new character.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got a new kyes you do. Yeah, And I do mostly bad imitations, so I've always got a new character. I made lots me.
Speaker 3: Too, and and and if you put two characters together, and then you have a new character, like yeah, one of my favorite guys is guy from Star Wars, Hondo and Knock. I've told this before, and he is. He is Charles Bronson and Juel Brenner put together. Now they'd have an ugly kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you'll forgive me, that's a butt baby, that's a baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we did.
Speaker 5: I haven't heard that turn.
Speaker 3: So long, that's a but baby. But he'd looked like Hondo and sounded like Hondo. So there you go. Tell no one what you have learned here today.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of Star Wars, I heard a great story that you told on another podcast about your involvement in Star Wars oh and seeing it for the first time. Do you mind sharing that story?
Speaker 2: I really can. I really, I really know. I really got my finger on the post, don't I. I once told Jack Nicholson to get out of the business. Yes, And we were in class together. And I've seen him in a film. I think it was a horror.
Speaker 6: Film, something thirteen, wasn't it, like the pro or so the Ravens call off and Jack Nicholson's got tights on it and he and legs like a stork and he's running around with his hair has combed down.
Speaker 2: And then I saw him driving in his car. We were driving it and ilean, I said Jack, and he waved and I said, I said, I saw the raven. I said, don't give up your day job, and he went like that, you know, and don't I know it?
Speaker 3: Do I?
Speaker 2: Did I predict his future? Did I not predict his? The thing the same thing with Star Wars. Lucas called me in.
Speaker 3: He didn't know me.
Speaker 2: I came from the Asian obviously, and I went in and he said, I want to show you what we're doing, and he ran the dailies and I looked at it, and he must have seen my face because I see these guys with flashlights. It's obviously before they have the little thing whatever, and they go, well, then I'm going and one kid's a surfer and the other one is this guy who I thought was very stiff, and I went, wow, okay, and he looked at me and said, it's an action picture. It's not an acting picture, and he said okay, I don't know what that means, but sure. And then I see Alec Guinness has the thing, and I said great. So I start to do the voices that he asks me to do. Would you replace this guy? So it's a guy at the council and he says something to Darth Vader, and Darth Vader goes and the guy starts going.
Speaker 3: Oh that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So after he does, I said, okay, I did it. I said, can I make suggestion to you? I didn't even know who Lucas was. That's how much I knew, and I said, why don't you leave him alone? He's good, he's doing a nice job. And he said, well he's British. I said, well, so far everybody I'm seeing his British. And he said, you think he's that good.
Speaker 7: I said yeah, I want to work find.
Speaker 5: Somebody for him, because they had asked you to dub his va, to dub.
Speaker 2: His voice, and I said, he's really good. So he left him in and I thought, this film, please, And then so then they said. Then they said, this other guy, this older dude out in the talking to Princess Laura or whatever my name is up so they're talking to her, and I said, yea, I'll do him.
Speaker 3: I gotta work.
Speaker 2: I do his waist down a bunch of the guys and they're playing, going, oh I've been shot. Oh gow up, I'm dying. Okay, I'm over here to the red et cetera. And then I leave. And then years later, a year later, two years, whatever it is, I'm with a bunch of buddies and they said, we're gonna go see Star Wars at Gramin's Chinese and I said, I'm out, not doing it. I saw that not I loved sci FI, but that's you know, it's coca. And they went, come on, Mike, Come on, Mike, and they dragged me and we've got on the line. I'm standing in line and the guy starts passing the joint around and I'm going, I'm gonna need this, okay, fine, watch it sat down started. After it was over, they said whoa, and I went whoa. They said, what force did you do? I said, I'm got a freaking clue. That was great. I have no idea. Years and I had never seen it after that until years later, until I started stopped getting or never got residuals. Oh, never got residuals, never got as bad. Went to the agent, went to the agent and said, it's been a while and I never got They contacted the company, and the company said, prove that you did it. Oh, And this is what eleven years later, because it never occurred to me. I mean, I had, you know, like you, the garage full of contracts that I finally had to shred because I couldn't get my car in. That was the one I the one I shouldn't have shred. Wow, because I did have a contract. Said, but I got a contract. It proves that residuals, because I never got I never did anything without residuals. Sure, once they came into into being in seventy one, seventy two something like that, and they didn't want to go to the didn't want to go to court, and they said, well, if we go to court, we'll kill you.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, good luck, good luck, good luck. Let me we'll be right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So that's that's my story.
Speaker 5: Oh baby, I could have bought this block.
Speaker 3: Yeah, instead you did it with two words butter butter. I knew, I knew. I didn't have to say much to our gay Yeah.
Speaker 2: I call my house lost with sidualities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Is that loose? That that was? That was a famous story going around the community. You know, you know, Michaels Michael's house.
Speaker 2: But that's right.
Speaker 4: And for for those of you out of the loop, this was a parquet Butter commercial, big, big commercial for you in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they had there. There was those articles and things. And I was on television when when it was Entertainment Tonight, and I wound up having to go to the set to do it. And because they said, now you want to do to work with the people and work with people who are now gone who did on camera stuff. And I had to sit there and off camera, and I had a little machine that I would move so that the lid would go like that better and I go better. Packay, So how is language used on your on your language?
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of okay, okay, a little bit okay. Yeah, yeah, I mean you know, okay, it's not gonna be.
Speaker 5: You can get a couple of words in there.
Speaker 3: We don't go full mcplain okaya.
Speaker 2: Oh I got wait, my hair's turning white thinking about it. So we had room where there was a couple of kids came in and they were and they were at the table and they're making breakfast for mom. Oh yeah and uh and they said, okay, go ahead, can I do the thing with butter paquet? And the kids laugh and it's okay. But by the second and third take the kids going and it's terrible. So the director doesn't know what to do. And I said, let me get onto the table. I know this sounds gross, but I get under the table and these two little patent leather feet are kicking and I said, okay, roll it, and they roll it and he goes let's make mommy breakfast. They go, okay, make mommy breakfast, and then lid goes better and I went kakapopo. Well, they weren't expecting and they broke up. They got a sugar. The second time they go they started again, I went pepecaca. Oh god, they fell apart and I went pepe cocka doo doo. No matter what I could do, just to keep it that. They were hysterical. We got take after take after take because they something funny was gonna come up. Yeah, we break for lunch. Oh, and I'm standing and I'm talking to the assistant director and the director comes over and he says, their mother of the girls is at the other end of the studio and I look and she's a block away and I see her setting like this, and I said, what is it? And they said, she doesn't like that language and she doesn't want to use that and used to use that language for the kids. And I said, oh, well, how about I say coxsup, motherfucker? And he asked me, said you really want me to tell her that? And I said yes, yes. So he walks to length.
Speaker 3: And I watched him.
Speaker 2: She's like this, waiting and he's leans in there, and he goes and she goes. Anyway, she walked off. I got to do cock a poopoo doo dooo. Keep keeping through the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, ding ding ding ding ding ding. Oh man, that's doitch now you you put that in your book, right, I mean, how to break into voiceover, how.
Speaker 2: To break in the worse over?
Speaker 3: Sure? Absolutely, I remember that book you have. You wrote a book.
Speaker 2: No no, not me, oh not you, No, not me?
Speaker 3: No, but your name was ont of somewhere No no, probably Pat Frailey. No, I mean would sell.
Speaker 2: So who's going to buy Pat Frayley?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, maybe his kids.
Speaker 5: Do you guys remember the first time you met?
Speaker 2: Well, I do, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: No, I don't see.
Speaker 2: Everything's a blur.
Speaker 3: Told you no, it was uh we were at B and B Studio and you were Burger, yes, Barber Burger and uh and you were sitting there and Jenny McSwain was sitting there and and it was probably a Monday. Came in and and she goes, oh, and we're getting ready. I think I think it was dark Wing. Probably, yeah, it might have been dark Wing And uh.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not right.
Speaker 3: Because I ended up doing before. But anyway, well we were we were there for whatever reason. Yeah, and uh and uh and she goes, oh there he is, Hey commings, what's up, Hodshot, how's it going? What it what it got any new stuff together? And I go, uh, yeah, I had this audition the other week and and it turned I just got a phone call that I got. Uh, I got Winny the Poop whoa, and and you went, whoa, yeah, and she goes and he turns and you turned her and you go, he got Winny the Pool. You know, Pool hadn't been around for twenty five years. And I was saying, well, no, they're well they're bringing them back, they're bringing them back. Yeah, And I get to beat Tigger when Paul Winchell's out of town. No, that doesn't sound right, and I go, well, of course it is. He goes, he got Tigger too when Paul Winchell's out of town. And I just it was just one of those things that only Michael Bellan. And of course Jenny, you're foil Jenny.
Speaker 2: Of course you know we still see Jenny.
Speaker 3: Yes we do.
Speaker 5: She was on the podcast not too long ago.
Speaker 2: Did you clean the mics? No, issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I do, and yes we.
Speaker 2: Clean either that or back home than one of the two.
Speaker 3: Yeah something. Oh my gosh, that's funny. Oh that's funny. Well we all had a crush on Jenny, that's for sure. That's so funny. And but yeah, that was that was Those were great days. And she uh and I used to say that we're Halli con days and she goes, oh, you're such a guber from Ohio. It's Helsy And I thought it was Ali g No, that's some actress Hallie, you know, no, man.
Speaker 2: She changed it to Ali Berry.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Probably.
Speaker 4: Well, another project you guys both worked on was tail Spin. If I'm not mistaken, tail Spin, where you play.
Speaker 2: Memory is great, you know. He he probably has a great memory because I people say, remember when you did the voice of it? And I said, I don't remember. Don't have a clip that I don't get. I don't, I don't, I don't And then they do it for me and I still don't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do it for you badly. Thank god, it's very badly. But yeah, I was Don Carnage on Telsman and a couple of I was King Louis, which I was my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: Now dark Wing, of course, dark Wing of Dodwing is real, real clear. Smurfs is clear for me.
Speaker 5: Smurfs, let's talk about it. Smurfs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for g I Joe, I was doke for g I Joe, Smurs is handy, lazy and that incredibly cool jacket. It's my jacket. It's my jacket. Is my jacket?
Speaker 3: Did we show the people that you know? You know?
Speaker 2: I make friends so quick to see m j the other day at the Panchag Yeah, which was station. Oh my god, I've heard I would like to see this kid that does it. The two kids are three kids that played them at different stages of his life. Did anybody ever move like that other than Michael Jackson? Did anybody? But what so great was he took? Now this is great about don't chage your eyes. That's why God maje your eyes when I they played your eyes. He had they showed during the curtain, the curtain that came down. It had his notes and the notes was watch Fred Astaire, watch what's his name from Chicago? Bob Fosse. Bob Fosse watched all these movies and he lists all the movies. This was his notes all the movies, all the great musicals and the dancers and then Nicholas brothers from way back when the Nicholas were the early movies. That's and he watched them and that's how he designed his all his his new approach to dance to music, because up to them it was just rock and pot. You know, he was doing great stuff, but it wasn't what made him the super guy. May wait, this is my jacket. This is my wife and daughter got it for me as a gift because when they gave to us, brought it out that the studio gave to us. Just literally chair if you want. And you know what's funny is that Frank Welker never ever wore his until I started Wear of Mind and I saw him in a recent at the Megatron event. I saw him a Megatron and he said, I went wore other jackets who he did a whole thing. Yeah, had his jacket, Frank, Frank, Frank, I said, I want your jacket when you die because I can make a fortune on eBay with that thing.
Speaker 3: Will that's so nice to for you to volunteer that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm very I'm very practical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, practical guy.
Speaker 2: I think in those think in those terms.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, so is he never got married?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, but but yeah, yeah, he's what's the joke there, he Well, if you never get married, you never get divorced. Not only that, you don't have Yeah, no alimony, there's none of that stuff. Yea. Also he catted around a lot. I mean I was single, I was single.
Speaker 3: Were worried about Frank?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm Frank just is dating everybody that walked. Yeah. But the funny thing about Frank is gentle, sweet, nice guy. You know, he's just one of those guys you want in case you're in an accident. You want him there because he's really wonderful. And our friend Jony Gerber, one of the top voice ladies in the business, said, I suspect that Frank has a hefty bag for the teenage parts in his guard I knew it.
Speaker 3: I knew it. S're gonna say, I've seen him.
Speaker 2: So nice, he was so nice, we live next door, A sweet guy. And then until he uncover all this, but he was also Kujo and he was Kujo. Yes he was Kujo.
Speaker 3: Just saying he was Kujo.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings. You could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned in family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now. I remember, Frank. I remember we were doing I don't know if it wasn't a Smurks. We were doing a Ace Space Ace or something and we had to be land in water and h the director at the time, said he was Hunt and he said Gordon Gordon, and he was Gordon. He said something yes. Gordon said, okay, Mike, we have to talk underwater here. So I said, okay, great, this is easy, this is no problem. So what do I know? He uses real water, So I this is what I did.
Speaker 3: I went, oh, what did I do that?
Speaker 2: I'll get it. Gordon, Yeah, I'm sorry, At which point Frank he says to Frank, Frank, your character also with him, talks underwater, why don't you try first? And of course Frank goes exactly and I said, yeah, Frank, why didn't you suggest to me that I do it's because it was so much fun watching you drown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, see I thought I invented that that underwater thing, but I guess not, but Frank probably did.
Speaker 2: Hey probably, so you do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that could be. Yeah, that's you know, plagi.
Speaker 2: Your eyes, don't shade your eyes. I tell everybody if somebody else does something great, I think for years I used to go like this. I did movies with Jony Gerber. We used to do Mexican films. We used to dub Mexican films, you see with the yeah, with the with the wrestlers with the yeah, that's used to dub them. And one of them was a ghost and they said, okay, Mike, you're gonna be the ghost. Iing, Oh, I don't know whatever the hell that was. They bought it, and I tell people going to try it if you see if it works.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, this is a question for both of you. Guys.
Speaker 4: This just makes what you just said makes me think of this. Do you feel like there's any character voice that you've gotten away with if that makes sense. You know, you tried something very off the wall and you were surprised that they liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what was you.
Speaker 3: What was your The first one that comes to mind, Uh, well, either Lieutenant's Binelli on Chippadale's Rescue Rangers because it was my aunt Grace or and I've used this, I was going.
Speaker 5: To hear the voice for the for the wow the.
Speaker 8: Lieutenant's been out, like you know what I was trying to tell you, guys, it's don't forget to remember you know, that's the first thing that you want to do.
Speaker 2: It's your aunt san Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and God rest her soul, you know. The other the one was my uncle saying.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that that I would always expect to be great. Yeah that I've said, that's not getting away with anything. That's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's awful saying. But that was how he talked.
Speaker 2: Well, I did an Aunt Pauline. I did my Aunt Pauline from Brooklyn, from New York. And it was one of those things that Hannah Barbara I was a ranger and I'm talking to the character and I said, oh you do that. Don't you ever talk to me like that and get out of the park because you're not staying here. And I thought, they're not going to buy this, and so we like that Mike, they keep with you. Okay, good aunt, Pauline, thank you very much wherever you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've done that too. Then you've stolen like your like your school teachers, and.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely just that's that's that's the concept of plagiarizing. It's family, friends, people that sound a certain way. Doesn't have to be celebrities. Won't sue you.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I won't sue you.
Speaker 2: Always good, Yes, Katherine Epperny Davis. I did what's her name? Who is the famous chef Julia? I've done Julia child for a commercial. They were casting only women. They wanted Julia Charles and none of the women then could do Julia Childs. And so I said, why don't you let me audition for it? The agency said they just want women. Well, just say Michelle Bell.
Speaker 3: So I did this.
Speaker 7: Thing for Ford show Fabular string.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do the whole thing. And I made it sound like she was eating.
Speaker 7: So I'm sure when the steering wheelers just got the turbino engine, wonderful and they bought it wow, and I did, I said, whoa okay, guys now?
Speaker 2: And I was studying Betty Davis. I was studying and I studied.
Speaker 3: That's great, what a great idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean multi, I'm sure multiple voice actors a whole this opinion. But somebody we had on a podcast, I can't remember who. Maybe it was Jess Harnell. I think maybe it might have been Jess, but he was saying, you know, if you're trying to get into voiceover whatever, don't only do impressions of, you know, the same sex, do impressions of the opposite because that adds a little twist, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely well. Joni taught me that. Jordi Gerber, she did it's the crowd as much too young. But Georgie Jessel, the famous Georgie Jessel, who was the toast Master General, and he had a leaky eye, and she would say, hello, this is Georgina Jess. I'm my eyes leaking. I'm sorry, sorry, and my metals are rusting, but I would like to say to you, you know, and that's exactly what he's and she and I said, you can do that, then I'm gonna play women. I'm gonna do women's voices. I'm not I'm not gonna do anybody out of a job, but you know, if I can do it, I'm gonna give it. So I would do Betty Davis for a character. I did one for an on camera. I did one a iron size with uh, oh wow, when I was guest staring on Iron and I did it guy kind of like that, Oh you're such a fool, you know. I did not just not over the top, but he was. He ran an improv group and one of the members got killed. And so I was doing doing this and I said to uh at the time, to the star of the show, Raymond Burr, he said, Raymond, can, I'm going to do something with this guy. He's just not over the top when you go with it, And he said go and I said great. So I said, so, what's your name as the character? And then he says, I said, oh, you're very cute. And I jumped in his lap and he wheeled off and he wheeled off and he reeled and the director standard director, now you're great, and he's looking at he goes.
Speaker 3: What the hell is that?
Speaker 2: What is that? Wait a minute, I don't see that here, and he and I laughing, But I continued with the character without him willing off, and I paid him just slightly running this acting group. Okay, really, you know, not not on the nose, just enough to make him a little bit right like he does. He does impressions, but he doesn't think he's gay, right right, He's just pleased, just please to have to do that. And the shoulder house, that's another thing. You know, you ask about it because you've got a really good You've got a good announcers voice. God knows y, Yeah, really good voice. That's the thing I said when people say to when you do it, don't And I watch him too. You don't stand there with your hands on your sides. You really you are doing on camera to some degree, and that's going to help you motivate there. Because if I'm playing a good guy, I stand with both feet on the floor knowing I'm never going to get this on character. Care I never played this on character. I'll never be that character. But I stand there and I think John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, you know, one of the guys, Ryan Reynolds, whomever. And I stand there like that, and I think in those terms, and I get my eyes on that level and I stay there. And if I'm playing a weasly character, I just immediately creep into him get small again like this and do all that stuff. So if it's on camera, you would see that. But it helps me and it helps me build that character and that the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jim, you've talked about that multiple times, especially with Pooh and Tier.
Speaker 3: I remember entertainment Tonight came way back during the very very very first first season of Winny the Pooh, the New Adventures Whinny the Pooh, and and I was and they were behind me, and I was doing Winny the Pooh, and I realized and before the sound came on, I knew I was doing Pooh because I stood there and my stomach was back. And then when when I was doing Tiggerves, I was there and I didn't even know I was doing it. You do it, but you just you just do that.
Speaker 2: It's you know when they say you're voice acting, Yeah, yeah, but you're acting, right, Yeah, You're still on camera, no matter what happens, You're still on camera.
Speaker 3: Still have that Yeah, it's like Jess Harnell says, voice acting is very small V but a capital A. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, I like that. That's not that's good, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember doing when we did the when we do the Smurfs and we had to do all. I played three characters on Handy, lazy, and grouchy, and I remember what we had to do it It was it was adjusting to those different characters and making them smaller and be smaller, because if I was lazy, I would do this kind of thing and just yeah, just whatever it was. And if I was you know, handy or are we doing that Papa Smurf now and I'm back here, Browchi, I was really whatever the heck it was. You get into that. Except after one night. One night actually was when I first met my wife, Victoria, Victoria caw and uh uh. She was the first date, and she'd come to my house up on the hill. This is before, you know, before I bought this one and uh and We're sitting watching Peter Seller's movie and I'm getting hungry. It was the first date, and I'm nervous and we're sitting beautiful, beautiful woman and she's sitting watching televis me and I said, would you like something to do? She said, no, I I don't do anything like that on the first date. I never eat food, really, she said, Okay, don't want to look human. I just want to look the way I look said okay. So I went inside and I got and I got my uh and I got my banana bread that the friend had given me, and I took a slice and toasted it and came back in and ate it. I started a little dizzy and feeling a little strange, so I thought maybe I need more food. So I went in and another slice of banana bread and toasted it up, and came back and sat down. And I was sitting there and she started a comment on the movie with Peter Sellers, and she said, isn't this great? He's such a wonderful He's such a talent. But it was like, this is me great, he's such a talent.
Speaker 3: And I went, oh great, what is she doing?
Speaker 2: Why is she doing that? I thought, oh my god, I'm stoned. Oh my god. She said I really love Peter selling I thought, oh, oh, I'm dying here. So I go in the kitchen and I called my friend. I said, the banana bread you gave me or anything in She was curious. She said, it's green. I told you it was green. I thought I thought it was green bananas. What are you talking about? It was? She put in a lid and I ate half the banana bread. So I said to Victoria at that, I said, okay, excuse me. She said what I said, I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: I left.
Speaker 2: I came back just in my took off all my clothes, of course, put on a towel into my pool. I thought I'd swim it off in the dark. I said, I'm gonna swim this off. And I'm swimming, and all of a sudden, my imagination I'm going and I saw that fin. I saw that fin cutting through the dark borders of my pool. I got immediately out, exactly, I mean wrapped, and I just sat in this and I had a sum room and just seeing that, she came and she said, you okay. So I'm so sorry Stone. And it was a terrible night, really sick. Next morning, smurfs, I work with my sunglasses.
Speaker 9: Come on the seats lined up in front of it, and we start off with.
Speaker 3: The song Oh.
Speaker 9: Jesus, and I hear this in my voice my ear, and I'm dying that delight.
Speaker 2: I am dying all morning long, and nobody everybody's looking. I mean, the thing, why you got sunglasses? My eyes my hurt, my eyes hurt. Yeah, And it was just all morning well, what are we doing now, bob? Oh? Even my own voice was killing me. Yeah, the morning and I said, I've ever watched that show. I'll know which show it is. I'll just know because I look. I'm sure I look bersirred doing it, but I'm sure I sounded bersir.
Speaker 3: You had to have.
Speaker 5: Did anybody pick up on it or nobody?
Speaker 2: Well, everybody's in your own world, is true?
Speaker 3: Even thank god there were other people there. Oh, yeah, to absorb the whatever they absorbed the banana ache? Do you have any with you by the check, But.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I don't. I was going to bring some actually I.
Speaker 3: Know, Well there goes our after party.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I want to bring up a character that you did that I'm personally a big fan of. I was telling Jim about this earlier before you, before you arrived. Was the Fear from Metal Fear? Yes, I thought that was a great character. It's a great game. And can you just speak to sure?
Speaker 2: Remember when we get it? You know when you get it and you remember, they just give you a photograph. They said, which one do you want to do? And I said, this looks good, destroying whatever it is this guy? And I said, how can I make it because my voice is not like yours even. I mean, I used to have that kind of load, the gravity, but I don't have that anymore. It's more more more mel tor mae. Now I'm up.
Speaker 3: Here velvet, fake velvet.
Speaker 9: So I had a golo and I I I am the fear.
Speaker 3: I am the fear.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go. We're ready and to work that out. And when I saw it was so great because you know, you don't see this most everybody doesn't know. We don't get to see these. He just wind up doing it and they paint to voice whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And in my opinion that that whole game franchise might be the most cinematic video games of all times. I mean, and you know what I love about that franchise is every time they introduce a character, say the fear. You know, the character name comes up and you know it shows the fear he drops into the scene. But then right beside it in parentheses they say Michael Bell the voice act.
Speaker 2: Isn't it strange?
Speaker 4: And they give so much. Did you ever meet Hideo Kajima? No, no, no, never met him.
Speaker 2: People ask me about the artists of half these shows because a lot of games, do a lot of games and I don't. And you know, I think I recently met some recently because they picked up a game I did called Soul Reaver. Oh yes, he picked that up because they wound up being Soul River and it's cooled Ascendants. It's coming at this like the fourth permutation of it, so Diablo to Soulriva to Defiance to Ascendants, which is brand new. And got to meet some of the artists that was a little bit different. Yeah, finally got to meet the guys.
Speaker 4: I just asked that because in my opinion, I think Hideo Kajima is like literally a genius. Genius not even exaggerating, you know, I don't use that word lightning. And I actually got to meet him a couple of years ago at the Video Game Awards. I was there with my dad, who's also a voice actor, and we're on the we were lined up to go do the you know, the walk through, the step through on the red carpet, and we're in line and I see Hideokagina in front of us, and I was like, oh my, like it started shrinking and I was like, no way, I admire this man.
Speaker 2: You know, it was a lot of people. Wouldn't they just a name?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, No. I I saw him and I was like, oh my god, that's Kajima's son, Like, oh, daddy, daddy, do you know who that is?
Speaker 2: That's ID.
Speaker 4: And usually I'm not like this, but I had to just tap him on the shoulder and just be mister Kajima, you her amazing.
Speaker 5: I just love your work. I just wanted to introduce myself.
Speaker 2: What was his response?
Speaker 4: He just, oh, thank you very much, thank you, you know, just very grateful. Yeah, pretty much. But that was like, you know, I'm usually not starstruck, and I wouldn't say I was starstruck in that moment, but it's just like phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Hey, I get starstruck. I you know, you know when we have our fans that come up and they tell you how they grew up with you and all that, how wonderful it is, and it's it's really really great. It hit me when there was a guy and you'll know who I'm talking about, who was at the table opposite me and uh and I looked up and he had a huge poster of Banbie gigantic poster talking about and I looked and I went, oh my god, so I said my hand. I said, I'm not gonna be right back. Said where'd you get that poster? And he said, oh, I've have it for years. I said that's original. He said yeah. I said, well gave it to you. Whered you get it? And he said, well, Walt gave it to me. I said, wal too, He said, Walt Disney. I said, Walt Disney gave you that poster? Why? He said, well, I'm a Bambi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you go. Okay.
Speaker 2: I was stunned. I grabbed this poor guy, Donnie, now you know, I grabbed it. Oh my god. I gave him a big hung Oh my god, that was my childhood. Oh and he got so excited making flower Yes, yes, oh my god, oh yes, what he said? I'm just so great. And I'm told that Thumper does the thlumber is at these things. I've never seen him. I've never met him. And of course we only I met the Margaret who is who is the principal figure for a tinker Bell? Yes, tinker Bell. Yes, And once we were at dinner. I met her because we went to dinner and oh, she's been her nineties or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she she and I presented Awards about five years ago at the Annies. Oh nice, yeah, and she was just Jesus chanting.
Speaker 2: But she was sitting and we're having dinner at some Japanese restaurant and one of those events, and Aleana I said, so you and Walt Disney you knew him. Then I said, and I mean not that you're not great looking now, but you were a babe. I said, you were. Really those photos that you have young, you were a babe. She said, well, yes I was. And I said, so you and Walt uh marmat you and Walt. Did you ever you know, did you ever? She was very subtle, very subtle about it, you know, yeah, yeah, you know, mister subtler. And she looked at me she said, I'm not telling.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for verifying so cool.
Speaker 2: I'm not telling she is so cool. I thought she'd go, oh dear, oh no, not me.
Speaker 3: And then you went, yes, you are, you're telling. Well.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the voice of Bambie, what was.
Speaker 2: His name again, Nannie Donegal?
Speaker 4: Yes, Donny don Agan, Yes he was. He was on the podcast. For anybody watching, he wants to check out that episode.
Speaker 2: Of a couple of months.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what a life he had what an incredible He was in.
Speaker 2: The Frankenstein movies. He was the kid in Frankenstein opposite but Nego Sia.
Speaker 5: And he was in the Army.
Speaker 2: I mean he was in the service.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he showed me these photos and I said, you met Basil Rathbones. Oh yes, he was telling me wonderful stories and all kinds of wow. Well that's what that's my history. That's you know, that's what. Oh yeah, I love that period. Now of course he's Rathbone. Nobody knows what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Another franchise that you guys have both played roles in is Transformers. Transformers you played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was after Burner, a ripper snapper.
Speaker 5: Yes, ripper Snappers.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of Crabclaw and that other guy who Yeah, I can't remember, but.
Speaker 5: What was the character you played? You played? Right? Was it pro Yes?
Speaker 2: And Brainstorm and something Aid First Aid and a couple of others. You know, everybody, they all everybody everybody has a favorite. It touches them in some way and you don't know why that particular one. The guys that do like prout became love and became cops or soldiers. I said, I joined the service peper as you you guys come up, said we became Marines because of you, because of me. Yeah, because when I did g I Joe, because of because of uh Duke Duke. And I said, well, okay, you never you never killed anybody and yelled my name or anything, did you when you're in service? No, sir, No, sir. We're this is straight, so straight, you know, No, sir. We just just want to let you it was nice to meet you, and just killed them in general. Just kill them in Gero people in general. Just take them down.
Speaker 3: They were bad guys.
Speaker 2: This is from Michael Bell.
Speaker 3: That's right. Take that miscreant, but it.
Speaker 2: Is, you know, it's it's so interesting, it's so new. It's always so interesting because I'm going to be seeing you, I think in Philadelphia and I don't know if it's Philly, but I'm going to see you in Chicago and then I guess Denver or Dallas or wherever it is.
Speaker 4: If you've had a fan expo and just so on that note, don't forget we're doing the podcast live the fan expo. So if you're in Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, and the list you can find at the beginning and end of this podcast, be sure to check it out.
Speaker 5: It's a good time.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say that I'm financially obligated, but I came.
Speaker 2: But I like his voice saying it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's ready to got a good voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah what Speaking of these conventions, what character do you get requested the most? Who do people come up to you for the most?
Speaker 2: Probably probably I guess Duke and then Prowl the most. I get some Brainstone, quacker Jack, not a lot, but I got enough quar and especially when new people, I guess I get a lot of Uh, Rugrats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I would think when I was doing my research on you, when I saw rug.
Speaker 5: Rats, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was I mean without even hearing the voices, I mean, that just brings me back. That was one of my favorite shows growing up. Yeah, and you you played Stu.
Speaker 2: I played Stu and Chucky's dad che Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: And we did a memore. We did a Mother's Day piece where Chaz has to explain to uh to Chucky why his mother I remember from Mother's Day and when I read it, I was very moved by it by myself, so I would as an actor, I was able to bring it as it were. It wasn't just here, it was really down here and uh and explaining it. And when we finished recording, I know it's got to do a second take. And I looked up and everybody in the booth was crying. The engineer, the director, the casting director, the producer. They were also sobbing.
Speaker 9: It was so great when they were crying, and I say, oh, this is gonna be a biggie. It was a good because that's a jaded crew. Oh yeah, I mean, if they're going, wow, you ding ding ding.
Speaker 2: Good name for a series, The Jaded Crew, The Jaded Crew, good name for a series.
Speaker 3: I just wrote that, Yeah, right off the top of my head.
Speaker 4: Would you say that was like a challenge doing such a heavy scene and kind of I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but it's kind of a goofy voice, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind well I got that because the gall who played Chucky originally Chris Kavanaugh, who was also of course, had that kind of thing that she chose. She chose that voice to be that day's kind of thing. So when I heard it, when I started doing I said, can I hear what she sounds like?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: He sounds like they said okay, sure, and they said I'm gonna do that. That's it will have inherited it from his dad. So I wound up doing that kind of sad, just like she did. So she said, she talked to me, we don't have the same sid family resemblance. Let's hole that works, and they said, well buy it by that.
Speaker 3: Works for us, Chris.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 3: Do it now.
Speaker 2: After that first year, maybe first two years, I went up doing all the visiting characters as well as as well as as you probably have told people, we could only we could do three, and so we wound up if it was only if I wound up had two characters, I could do that third character, and so I wound up having three characters. So I went up doing all the guest characters until they started ringing and soelebrities. Yeah, right to do the guests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all remember those days.
Speaker 2: That was that was that was painful.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard you talk about this subject on every interview pretty much I listened to or read about was this, uh you know you espousing, you know when Hollywood actors started taking voice over roles. And there's something we've talked about in this podcast before, something that I have a huge, great personally with And I'm just curious to ask you because you know, first of this is a two part question. So first of all, what inspired you to get into this profession because you were, you know, around before even television was around. So it's not necessarily I'm taking your words.
Speaker 5: I'm taking your words.
Speaker 3: It's true. It's true.
Speaker 2: It's true, my heart, Yes, it's true.
Speaker 5: I took those arebatim words.
Speaker 2: Before television was Sorry. I remember sitting watching watching the radio. No, no, watch radio, watching the television. What is it? It was like an Indian or something, and it was just air. Isn't that great? Was sitting in Brooklyn, our friends are watching the test patterning? Yeah it was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just picture wait and it was right after.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, that was the that's when TV ended. That's when TV at night you ended to this spangled banner and it was over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the three channels were off. Now, yes, sometimes the public TV. If you had rabbit ears with aluminum foil around them, and you could get rabbit.
Speaker 2: Ears, now you wear them on your head because if you're hearing voices, you're going to ask me.
Speaker 4: So the question was what inspired you to be a part of this industry? I mean to me it you know, it's something so new would be you know without an influence.
Speaker 2: Seen what happened was? I knew nothing about it. I was in a contract to Universal Studios. I was doing a lot of on camera I guess started almost every television show in the seventies right.
Speaker 5: Up to the eighties, including Star Trek and Student.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly. But but I met Jony Gerber and Joni said to me, you do all these voices, why are you doing on camera? I love working on camera, love acting. And she said, but you have all this ability to do all these other characters that she will never play on camera. Why don't you why don't you get involved? And I said, okay, So I slept with her. That's when he told me I had a good voice, that's right. And so she introduced me to Bud Davis over at Cunningham and she said, Bud listened to him. She did. We did a tape in her in her house while she played the piano and was going in the background, She's going, she's doing stuff and I'm doing character just voices that are stuff I wrote. And he listened. He said, okay, I think that'll be good. And bless his heart. Bud is gone now, but bless his heart. To get me started. He got a call from a producer over it one of the studios and she was looking for another actor and he was not available, and he's let me send Michael Bell. And she said, I don't know who he is, so just try and say, I don't know who he is. I'll taste it. I'll tell you what. Let him come in, let him record, and if you buy it, you don't have to pay him, okay. As a way of get me going, so I went, it was your jump start, that was my jump start. It was like a lost leader. I went in met with him, uh, and I did the thing and I left and I came back and she said she loved it. She's paying you. And from there and I started to do albums, voices for albums.
Speaker 5: Interesting for recording, Yeah, what kind of albums?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 2: No, the musical albums? What was got? The studio up on Librea used to be the Charlie Chaplin studio years ago. Then they became oh, the other studio for the guy wrote yeah whatever, I can't remember his name. And they had studio there, where's the old Charlie Chaplin studio? And we're doing records, all the records, records, Folks records. And I was doing I was doing promos for these records. Yeah, for all these wonderful records. Yeah. Wow, it interesting good gig. I mean Jesus was a great gig.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he showed me and Joni brought me to him, and that's where I got excuse me, the voice of Butter. When they brought me in, that's just one word. I said, well, what is this is for parks? It's gonna see Butter? I said, Okay, what what am I doing? They explained, and all these we're all going in and out, voices in and out. Who cares? Is this one voice? Who cares?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember when I first started to business. I'm so sorry that I cannot remember this man's name. But uh, I lived down in Corona, California when I made my first demo tape, so I would go back and forth. I was right in the middle of between San Diego and La so I would go to Sandy a lot to do. Back when I just first started, and I met a man who was in the business, and uh and and and we were doing some kind of comedic spot and I was always the comedic dufest in the spots of radio and he's and he said, so, how long you've been in the business. I go about an hour and a half and he goes, oh, I'm doing it. He goes, you want to hear a good one? And I go okay, and he goes, okay, e double l old double good Kellogg's best to you. And I said that was you and he goes, yep, yep. And I only did like three takes. They used it for twenty years and I go, yeah they did.
Speaker 2: Whoa And did you get residuals said yeah, yeah, he must have.
Speaker 3: And that because I remember hearing that, I'm sure you do. Oh yeah, yeah, sure for cheerios or whoever whoever you know, Kellogg's cornflakes.
Speaker 2: Now it's all on YouTube. Yeah, and we don't get paid for that, and we're supposed to. We're supposed to. It's licensing. But that's another story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all of that.
Speaker 2: Because I've watched all my old commercials on YouTube, all Mark commercials. Don't get paid for it, you should be. Yeah, a lot of shows of a lot of shows that have been on the air for years in the seventies, whatever, shows that I've done and get some recisuals for. But I got another from YouTube. Neither do you, None of does nonether do any of the actors who are now being featured on YouTube. They get money, not the actors but the company. You know, they get bucks. YouTube gets bucks and it's and it happens to be illegal, but talk about a union.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like the wild West of social media. And it's something you know, for like our channel as well, you know, other other pages will take our clips and promote them. They you know, and it's like they're getting ad revenue. But it's almost like a trade off, trade off because it's like okay, okay, well it's getting the name we're out there, but they're.
Speaker 5: Generating money, generating money, and you're not content.
Speaker 2: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a weird.
Speaker 2: That's why I never worked nude.
Speaker 3: That's not what I heard, but that was in the beginning. Oh okay, I said.
Speaker 2: People say that I'm having an ee operation. I said, from all those years of auditioning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, I hope I'm not repeating myself. But like you said to Vince Edwards, yeah but they got you got the job. Get sitting too long. My ass really hurts, and and you go, yeah, but you got the job.
Speaker 2: You got the job. That's right.
Speaker 3: Wow, Ben Casey.
Speaker 2: Ben Casey, Casey, ben Casey, not the other one.
Speaker 3: Not Doctor Kildare.
Speaker 2: There, smart man. Smart Man took acting lessons while he was doing Doctor God. Went to England and went to Rada to study while he was doing Doctor Kildare. Right after the show, he said, I got to learn my craft now that I'm a star, I got to learn my craft. Smart guy. Yeah, really smart.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of acting classes, I heard a story that actually Cam Clark took your class.
Speaker 2: Yes, Cam cam took the class I had. I've had. Oh pop music, Cam Clark Rusi Taylor, Neil.
Speaker 3: Ross serious alumni.
Speaker 2: Lauren Lauren Lester. I had a host of kats who Ci wow my class, all early buddings. They were voice alettes and uh and Ruci came because her voice is out here and she wanted to get deep. So I gave her Margaret Rutherford missus Marple. She spoke like this, She said, oh, dear, really did a voice that over here? I said, try that, get deep, give it a give it a low jaw, give it an underslung jaw, and come back. And she came back and she did, I got a deep voice. I got a deep around and everybody liked that. And those were people that that I managed to play with. And when Cam came, he was auditioning stuff and who knew that eventually you could mix us like his voice was close to mine an algorithm and he went out, and so he came back to one of the classes and he said, I have an announcement to make. I got my first commerce, I got my first cartoon. We all went whoa when we played, and I felt great, It really felt great that I had something to do that he said, And I said, what is it? And he told me I said, I auditioned for that, and he looked at me. I said, I'm only kiddy. I'm thrilled I did, but I'm thrilled you did well. You can meet your teacher, did great care, you did great, absolutely and every now and then because we do a world of warcraft, and I once went in, they started, we're going to play it back for you, play your character medieve back for you. And I said okay, and they played it back. I went, it's not me. They said, it is you. I said, it's not me. He said, And I hear them talking. Isn't that Michael bow him? I think that's when Cam Clark was here, Cam Clark. I hear the guys, I said, you had Cam Clark come in? Was I dying? Was there something wrong with me? Did I make somebody? Did I say something to somebody? Did I pissed somebody off? They said, Oh no, I you out of town or something? Oh sure, yeah, yeah, where was I was? I was out of town?
Speaker 5: I was?
Speaker 2: I was. I was in Glendale right exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got a big sign on my car says I did to Glendale out of town. So they mixed and matched us, and I wound up then I took over from there again Mediev and I said, oh so cam glax O. Rob Halson said the same thing. Rob said, you know, I'm going to be doing your voice. I said, maybe the light part. You can't get the deep part. You can do the one up here. That's what you sound like. Rob. Yeah, you're over here, right, okay, Rob, but you can't get down here, right, that's right?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well there's a joke in there too, butes and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: But I want to say, yeah, so okay, So I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are we talking about your big theater, TV on camera or VO? Which do you have an arena in which you love more than another voiceover? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love theater, but I got so tired of memorizing you too. I love being on stage. I loved it. I'm so glad you said that I had my own theater, the West End Playhouse. We introduced new plays we did in eric Idol play and he came to see and he said, I can't believe you guys have done this. He said that it's better than our production in London. He was so excited. And recently my daughter, who's an actress, Ashley Bell, who's in the Groundings, was doing stuff the Groundings and Eric Idol was there for something and she was part of the group and she mentioned to him about the play that we had done his play, and he said, yes, it was in the valley. Uh, you guys did that plan And he was so excited. It was a wonderful production of Actually was so excited because her dad and her mom went before she was born and had done this play Wow for Eric Idol, And we love doing it. We love doing theater.
Speaker 3: But learning lines, Oh, I think that's why I ended up. You know, I had lived notoriously, and I think part of the reason I had lived so much is even when I can read it is I just couldn't memorize the lines. So I did well, I'll tell you one thing, you know, and then here comes the bs and uh. And that's how I got through it.
Speaker 2: I did a soap opera. Can you imagine what life must have been like for me? I did a soap opera called morning Star before Days of Our Lives was the precursor of the Days of Our Lives. For a year, I was just out of the army and I got a job and I was making one hundred and twenty five dollars a week. Oh and there was a lot of money for me, and I had since I was the new guy in town, I had all the exposition, so I had. So when missus wes Moore was murdered, do we think that mister wes Moore did it? Or do you think that she took the pills herself? And because and I'm having to learn this all night long, I'm up all night, I must look like eighty years old. The next morning when I went to the set in MEBC, and they had que cards, and I refuse to read the queue cards, and I learned the lines. But it was every night I'd be like this, and I'd sit around and we'd learn the lines. We'd we'd work together, et cetera. And the next morning I'd get up and go, Okay, I'm not allowed to read the cue cards. I just have to really get through this. And I remember, finally when I got comfortable enough, we had a scene in a restaurant and this detective comes in, and I'm the young guy. I have to ask the detective, so what'd you find out? And he's got a shit load of lines, and I said to him, listen, if you've never done soap opera, don't worry about it. Q CAUs will be right over. I'm back. I don't rate here cars. I said, no, I'm sorry, okay, I just want to let you know. He said, I don't rake here cards. I said, okay, fine, and we get on and he started to lie. God bless you, God bless you, and I say to him. I lean over to him and I say to him, Okay, so what do you think happened with miss and miss west Moreland? Did she take the pills? Do you think he killed her? And he went, well, personally, I feel that.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 2: And I said, so what do you think do you think? Did she do it? Or did he do it to her? He went, I went, so what do you think? Said? I can't do this. I can't do this, and I know that's not in the script. He gets off the seat and walks out of the student way and I hear the right guy.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, what the hell was that?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: Where did it go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And we hear the door closes, the studio door closes. Oh, Grant, I'm like this because you don't stop. They had to cut its tape but still you don't stop. They immediately had another actor come in let him read the cue card lines. Somebody was he was one of the cameramen or something came in and he does this scene. I watched this the next morning, and I'm curious to see how it worked. We saw start the scene and then they cut to the actor who forgot his lines opening up, back to me, back to another actor, to another actor, save the opening with me and just with him, and then back to me. We saved tape. We saved some tape. We saved about twenty feet of tapes. I don't worry about.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: We got this other looks nothing like him, respawning looking over my shoulder, like like it's like they're doing Saturday Night Live. He's looking over my shoulders.
Speaker 3: Oh God, like bewitch with the two Darren's going back and.
Speaker 2: Forth, going back and forth. It was so bizarre.
Speaker 4: That reminds me of They did that, not the same episode, but in Game of Thrones they did that with an actor. There was one There was an actor playing a character. He was like he was like Denaris's like henchman. You know, he had the blades and everything, and he was like in love with her. Remember he had the long hair.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, of course, I don't forget the character's name.
Speaker 4: But he started out as that character, and then the further you go into the series, it's not even explained or anything. All of a sudden, he has cut off black hair and looks completely different.
Speaker 3: But it's the same character, perfect, And it's like when something happened.
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened behind the scenes, you know.
Speaker 4: It's just it was remember money, Yeah, I remember watching that and be like, wait, who is this guy? And then they're referring to him as his name and I'm like, blonde here before to save money.
Speaker 2: They they're not going to explain anything. I mean, not even going to rewrite and say he died and this is his book, Melvin. You know it's not going to happen. It's so but having to do it in the soap opera and watching this guy's face when he went and I knew exactly how he felt because my heart always felt like that when I was on the soap opera for that year, and I always felt like that. I thought, oh yeah, how much I can give as much as I can, But I'm scared crapless. I really was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would imagine how long did you a year? A year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that would have scared me to death. Oh it was.
Speaker 2: But it was my first NAT other than Verdict is Yours? Where I got to improvise through a whole thing. Then I went in the army. After that, I was in the service and did all that and then came out. But that was, Oh my god, that was you got a soap opera and went great. Never occurred to me. Then I looked at the lines. I went, oh, this is mine, this whole paragraph is mine. Then they would another person would say, so, what do you think? Then I'd have all these lines. So Jerry, what happened? I went, Oh my god, all these lines and so thank god. I had a wonderful actress by the name of Betsy Jones Moreland who was long past, who worked with me every night because she loved to act. Everybody else on the soap uper.
Speaker 5: Yeah hair yeah, and makeup look pretty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all looking pretty.
Speaker 3: And I'm just yeah, you had to carry the weight.
Speaker 2: I got to carry the weight.
Speaker 3: O yeah what and give up show bazs what and give up show bass exactly.
Speaker 2: But I was making I get the check and go, look it's one hundred and twenty five dollars, you know, one hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: And this is what year?
Speaker 2: Good god, it must have been in the sixties, sixty and I was part of NBC. I was part of the studio, and I remember, I remember I was. I was in between two studios, Dean Martin's show and our studio, and I was at rest at that point. It was like the wardrobe or something, and Tulula Bankhead was on. Oh my gosh, and I snuck and I opened up the door and I'm watching two bankhead working with him, and I'm it's amazing. It's a little bankhead, you know, good guy sit in the phone rings in the lobby and I pick it up and going hello NBC, And I said, Hi, can I speak to Tulula? I said, I'm sorry, I have to talk to Tulua. This is her agent. Well, I went, okay. One moment, at which point a little bankhead comes out and I say, I'm miss bankhead, this phone call is for you. And she says, what I said you. She says, who are you? I said, Michael's just Michael. What I said Michael Bell. Just don't pick up. There's callers running on ever pick up that phone. And she said, I didn't care because it's the Lula Bankhead.
Speaker 3: Yeah to me, Yeah, yeah, yeah, big star.
Speaker 2: I told Jony, I said, when it came up to bankhead, talk to me, she said, I said, Michael Bell.
Speaker 3: She said, Michael What? Oh god, Almighty Pitts was next.
Speaker 5: Listen, Hey, how about that?
Speaker 3: I loved it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, this question is for my OPA because he loved this show. You were on Mash. Yes, you were on Mash. You were recurring, they.
Speaker 2: Were, They were apparently this wonderful voice over guy. Why can't I remember him? Oh my god, wonderful voice over guy who's older dude. And was out with the producer at a baseball game.
Speaker 3: And Ernie and no, it's I know.
Speaker 2: If I tell you, you'll know, damn it. I thanked him a million times. And the producer said, I'm running out of leading men, I'm running out of guests. Sorry, I'm running out of guest male guest stars. And he said, what about Michael Bell? And he went, oh, yeah, okay, because I didn't a lot of television, never read for it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Scott. The script got on this said what I did do years ago was I tested for one of the roles opposite Alan Alda with the other guy who got it, the blonde guy, and I tested for him, and they said, you're too close to Alan, tall, skinny, dark hair, too close. So we're going with whatever his name is, who wasn't even interested in acting. He was actually a Wall Street guy. He really liked Wall Street, really became a businessman. He became a manager Wall Street manager. So I said, okay, you know that was it and I lost out on a wonderful show and then they bring me in the redda is fabulous. Alan was wonderful, he was nice, everybody was pleasant to me, the director. It was the first time the director was directing that show. And the director played crazy, the character in City Across the River the movie Amboy Duke City Across the Over years ago. Remember seeing oh and he was wonderful. He was just this real wacky guy. And now I'm working with him. He didn't like me. He said to me, when you do this, play him bad. And I said, no, I've been in the business long enough to know, Ah, I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to play I'm a bad guy from his point of view, I'm irresponsible, irreverent, But he doesn't see himself as bad. He see himself as an opportunist. And he has these little kids, I guess, the little kids getting metal and some of them get blown up, but he visits him in the hospital and he gives them stuff, gives them money. And so I said, I'm not going to play him bad. He's just who he is. And we had a fight and he said, well, why I want you to? I said, see you around, and I walked off the set and I sat down and Alan came over and said, I was wondering how long it was going to take you, And he said, you understand that we know our roles. He can't direct any of us. Leretta said, I know who I am. He can't direct me none of it. The only person he can direct, forgive me is you.
Speaker 3: So he had to make his mark.
Speaker 2: He directed me wrong, I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do that, and I didn't.
Speaker 4: Isn't that funny when you have creative differences on set?
Speaker 2: And I went back on the one thing I learned as an actor, You don't play the bad guy bad you can be as evil as all. You can be Struda Martin all you want. But Strudther Martin's character thought he was doing the right thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well Jim knows that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, yeah, no matter what you're doing, it's it's it's So that's my answer to that, And it was. It was wonderful to be on mash, of course, and herb Ellis was the voice. Herb Ellis, wonderful voice. Wonderful, wonderful voice. Made this suggestion to a producer and said, what about Michael bell How I mean, think about it. They don't do that nowadays.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now you have to read for everything. You have to audition. Yeah, I know, audition an audition cost.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned in family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now.
Speaker 3: Well, Frank Welker, God bless him, he's the He's one of the you know, the beatles of voiceover. He he auditioned. He went in to do something for a little cartoon movie called The Lion King, and and he was doing ed I ultimately ended up doing and he was laughing and doing this and that, and they were just trying to get him, you know, And Frank, I mean, he can do anything anyway he could. You could tell him, you know, to do a Martian dragon from but from the south side of Mars and then that way, you know, you'd do that.
Speaker 2: He did sixty nine ducks, didn't.
Speaker 3: He Oh, well, yeah, he did dozens of ducks. Yeah. Yeah, And then then he did a chorus all simultaneously anyway, and bless his heart, he goes, you know, I'm not feeling it, you know, I just.
Speaker 2: Call Jimmy Cummings bringing wonderful and.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. So they brought me in and and they couldn't figure out what to do with it. I think I've told this before, but they got a legal pad and they said, this character has to express every emotion possible, but it has to be with a laugh, laughing hyena. Oh okay, And I said, oh, okay, well here, let's write right down, you know, so we're writing down insutions, you know, reticence, you know, all all this every possible and we I just stood there and for maybe thirty five forty minutes I just laughed in every and I just down the line. Click, Okay, there goes hesitation, you know, and then we'd move on to the next one and then and then at the end of it, he goes, we've got in tour de force blah blah blah. And I just thought, oh, this is this is big time.
Speaker 2: And he recommended you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he recommended me. And then before I left, they were they were saying, so now you were you sing? And I go, yes, I do, and they go, okay, I want to hear a song and I said yeah, And it was Jeremy Irons the Villain's song Villains get the best song. That's the boy Villains get the best song, Captain Hook or Peter Pan who had the better song? Captain Hook? Uh so, and it was be pre Pad and they played it and uh they played it down and I said, oh, yeah, I can do that hell out of this. Yeah, you know, but you have sound like Jeremy Irons, so oh I uh, I sounded like Jeremy Ironson and I got all this great platinum from Frank.
Speaker 2: Welcome great and Frank when we did when we did uh G I Joe and had to sing the song. As we're walking all over sound, I couldn't stand next to Frank because Frank can't sing. Frank's and made me off thinking I can't sing either, but I can least get close to one key and walking down there, we're going ge I Joe, and I hear g I Joe and I go okay, Frank, Okay, excuse me, I have to get over here. Yeah, stand there here, Joe. Frank, could you just move your lips because nobody's going to know whether you're singing or not. Yeah, yeah, that's true, because you're going to drive everybody crazy. And he's laughing and he's going, gee, we go GI Joe Joe.
Speaker 3: My god. Yeah, it's okay, Frank. You can do every single other thing.
Speaker 2: Don't have to that. You don't have to sing, you don't have to dance. You're off the hook. We have people for that, yes, right, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: We've got people. Yeah, Frank is people.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's the time in the show where we play a little game. I don't know if you're aware of this game. It's called a voice swap games.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's so.
Speaker 4: How it works is Jim will do a voice line of one of his characters, let's say Winnie the Pooh. He'll say one of his catch phrases, and then you will repeat that same phrase, but in one of your character voices of your choosing, and then we'll switch the roles and we'll do that a couple times back and forth.
Speaker 5: Of your game.
Speaker 3: Then you give me one of your guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you think.
Speaker 3: One thing that we did together was dark Wing and Quackerjack. Assuming you remember Quackerjack that I remember, I think I was going to say, yeah, that would be good. So okay, well I'll give you a dark Wing line and you repeat it back as quacker Okay, okay, it's too easy to go. Let's get dangerous because.
Speaker 2: Hold it right there, Quackerjack, you're not pulling anybody. I'm the good guy.
Speaker 3: And you're the bad guy.
Speaker 10: Hold it right there, quacker Jack, you're not fooling anybody. I'm the you're the good guy, and I'm the bad guy, right, banana head.
Speaker 3: That's right? Oh yeah, I forgot banana head. That's right. I love that, lad. That's good.
Speaker 4: It's so memorable, very cool. It just brings me straight back to childhood. Here, who's a character you'd like to do?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, we're gonna need a bigger boat.
Speaker 3: And uh maybe maybe Pooh should should be Okay, we're going to need a bigger boat. Love it, love it? And who is the character?
Speaker 2: That's Chucky's dad.
Speaker 5: Okay, I thought so.
Speaker 4: I thought that's from the movie. Yeah, Chucky's dad. I have I have a personal request. Can you do Tigger and the Fear?
Speaker 2: Oh? Good god?
Speaker 3: Okay. The wonderful thing about tiggers, it's tiggers.
Speaker 2: They're wonderful things. A wonderful thing about tiggers is tiggers is a wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: Yes they are.
Speaker 5: I'm just picturing them in the forest, crawling up the.
Speaker 2: Tongue. But that's how you got the job, That's how I got But I want to say, but no, folks, but really, waiter please.
Speaker 4: I feel like for the fans, we have to do Duke Duke. Yeah, if that knowing is half the battle? Sorry, can you do that again?
Speaker 5: I was kind of talking over you knowing is half the battle, And uh.
Speaker 2: What's who played my who played my brother in the movie John? What is the actor start in Miami TV series Mamy Vice John Joe Edward James.
Speaker 3: Almost.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm trying to think of his you know him. He's very handsome and he always plays the sheriff and he's his daughter is an actress. I think your name is Dakota. Oh, moved, he played he played my brother in the movie Don Johnson. Don Johnson's Don Johnson. So knowing is half the battle? Screwed Don Johnson.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a Bulker's line.
Speaker 2: Knowing is half the battle. It's screwed Don Johnson.
Speaker 3: That was terrible.
Speaker 4: I feel like that would be like a canon Bonker's line because he's you know, is in the industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, do you want to do one more? I'm loving this good.
Speaker 3: Yes, go ahead, Okay, let's see who we got.
Speaker 5: How about Hondo. It's it's yesterday, was made the fourth.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's true. It is a Hondo naka and made the fold to be with you. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: How about a smurf?
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh yeah, it is I Hondo?
Speaker 3: What Hondo naka, May the force be with you, Yes, may the Vold be with you. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: It is all right, Hondo and naka, I mean the horse, the horse, All the force be with you. Thank you, Papa. What is wrong with this picture besides everything?
Speaker 5: And which voice was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you could almost see you turned blue? Look you're wearing a smurf blue.
Speaker 2: Well, he has the smurf jackets a little bit smurfy. I must tell you, you know, Alan Oppenheimer, I have seen this, and I tell the story when I did Uh, I was doing uh, this series with Mel blank and uh, and he did this wonderful car you know he is and he used to do that on the and the thing was on that Jack Benny show. We do not miss any And we're sitting there and uh, I'm doing this the first time with Mel that I'm doing a series with him, and he's sitting to my right, and I'm sitting in world, sitting in seats meet him here and me there and the rest of the cast here. At which point, Uh, I'm the good guy. I'm the kid. I'm always Oh, what do we do now, speed buggy, We're really in trouble lies and he goes, Okay, here's what I'm gonna do. But and he did that, and he went okay. Then he came back. M I was sopping wet. Oh really, because he doesn't there's no one else in the room. It's just him, and he's great. But he goes all the way and I'm stopping wet, and I went I looked at him and went, Jesus, I have a whole show to do. And every time I said, oh, we're in trouble, speed buggy, he said, I know, but I know, but look get out of it. Oh.
Speaker 3: Christ came back.
Speaker 2: The next show a spit guard. Oppenheimer was our guest, and he was the bad guy. And I said, al meet Mel blank, oh Mel, oh my god, this is such a pleasure, such a treatment, say Alan Hawi is oh, and this is so racion. And you know, since you're the bad guy, most of your stuff is with him, why don't you sit next to him?
Speaker 5: Set him up?
Speaker 2: And he sat next to him and these tall high chairs you know they had the high cheers. Oh yeah, that you could tip either way because it's but it's the high and so he said, he and he has his line, and I'm sitting I got my script over here, and Alan's over here and Miller is over here. Which point we start the thing And I say my line, Oh, what are we doing now? We're really in trouble, speed buggy. And then and Melo goes and I'm where about it? We're okay? I see I see out of the corner of my eye, I see Alan go oh. And he looks at him like this, and he's back on his script.
Speaker 3: And I was like, it says that in the script.
Speaker 2: And he turns around and looks at me and I'm back on my script. I'm not looking at you right right, And he sits like this. And the next time we have the line where he has a bad lie, where can I get you? I says, no, you won't, No, you won't. You haven't got me.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 2: Then he goes back and Alan goes like this. And then finally the next time he has that line, Alan goes like this and tips the whole chair to the left. Oh, as he's going, I have to tipped my chair to the left. The actresses are tipping her and all of us are like this through the whole show we're doing. I think I think Gordon needed a dramnine. Then by the time this was over, Yeah, yeah, you going back and forth through the holes. Every time we were going like this and we had a break, I got off my chair real fast, went outside to the lot and I went to the back of the lot because I knew Alan was looking for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I could see him. You know. I looked around, and I seem he's looking looking around for a tart. And finally I know we have to get back and we can't get it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. That was oh yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you, Michael. Yeah, sure, you don't want to trade seats? Oh my god.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 2: And every time we had a bad guy, every time we had a bad guy in the show, I'd sit him next to next to it so good. I really mean, you really got wet because he really spit. I mean he he put his all his energy.
Speaker 3: He knew that character, yeah, doing it for years.
Speaker 2: But when he went, I mean you could see it. He's like a European actor, really coming right right.
Speaker 3: What didn't give up? Show Baz? Yes, Oh my god, Oh that's wonderful.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 3: That's great. Marster our old friend.
Speaker 2: And you sing like he sings. I am always amazed that anyone who can sing, oh well, good thanks, so distance from me, such a distance from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know it used to get me in trouble as a kid. You know all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Did you learn how to sing or did you just sing?
Speaker 3: I just say, I just say, but it was like five, you can keep a key, you you can stand pretty much? Yeah, yeah, wow, you know.
Speaker 5: I I used to.
Speaker 3: I remember I was five, I was five or six, and and I got my first transistor radio and those were like a little deck of cars back then. And I would just listen and I would have it under my pillow and my mom wouldn't know. And then I would go through a lot of batteries, you know, just listening. And I would listen to singers, and I mean there was Leslie Gore, there was Leslie. I mean god, I wanted to yeah. Yeah. And I just used to listen to all those songs and hum them in my head. And it was probably training and not knowing that I was, not knowing you were doing it. Yeah, but yeah, and then I then I think I was in my first band. It was like eight eighth grade something like that. Sixth seventh grade.
Speaker 2: See, I'm I would. I would audition and sing never get it. I mean I would study so hard, even learning. I learned a song in French to audition for a play that was had you had to sing in French and I learned from a guy who was French. And she'd work with me and work with me and work with me, and I thought it was okay, and it wasn't. Yeah, I do other stuff and every time I thought I'd sing, and finally, I think it was Six Feet Under. The series Six Feet Under had me come in an audition for the director and I auditioned. I had long hair and a beard and everything. And he said to me, you have to sing a song. And I said what song? I'll just find anything, So I said, okay. I used to remember what do you get when you fall in love? You get a little? And I sang the first couple of phrases that he said, okay, thank.
Speaker 3: You very much.
Speaker 2: I said, well that's another thing I died with and I left like agent call said, you got it, I said, and now I'm gonna have to sing on camera? Are you serious? I was so comfortable in the room I didn't care because then I wouldn't get it. And so what they did was, I said, and not only that, there was music, and there was So they gave me a little thing that I put in my ear and I had a chorus behind me. And when they started to play, I said, hit the key before you linked to the I said, yeah, that's what they do. Yes, okay, we are there. And then I would say and they go, okay, that was good striding and I said, okay, that was okay. No, no, no, we had some problems. I said, okay, this little thing. I could hear them in my ear and I hear them go and I know exactly where to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I would have been dead. You got that little sucker in my ear, I would have been dead.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, well you know that's a standard though. I mean they always do that. Don't give you the note, Yeah, like your note, like right before they record, they'll they'll go boom and then you know, come in, what do you again?
Speaker 2: Shoot? Really?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, they do that.
Speaker 2: Because I got to tell you that that really it helps, it must. But once I get past that, I could start out with that. But I don't know if I would end with that. Yeah, because don't forget doing Oliver Twist and the Artful Dodger for Hannah Babera. And they gave me Artful Dodger and I had to sing and I said, wow, okay, but I don't really sing Jack Wilde. Yeah, it was one of those things. I had to do that. But the but what's his name from the monkeys who used to sing?
Speaker 3: Oh? David Jones?
Speaker 2: Davy Jones auditioned for it. Did it off Broadway?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And they gave it to me, And I'm thinking, what I mean, what are they thinking? He did it? He knows the role. Yeah, it's different dialogue because it's a cartoon. I get it. But he gets to sing and he sings. I don't sing. I said, yes, I did a good thought English dialect, but he already has an English dialect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They still, for whatever reason and wherever the gods were, they said, now let's give it to Michael. Let's give it because it was the starter for me. Hannibaber. That was the starter for me. That's what started me down, that whole Hanniba. And now I watch it and I cringe, literally, I clench because it's so bad. It's so bad. I think.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it's not.
Speaker 3: What episode wasn't so that everyone can watch it bad.
Speaker 2: It's bad, it's not good.
Speaker 3: Watch what's a bad one?
Speaker 2: WA's the bad one? That's a bad one.
Speaker 3: That's the name of it.
Speaker 5: Oh god, Well, this has been so great, so much. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Did you have anything else, Jim? And sorry, I didn't want to cut you off.
Speaker 3: And no, no, I'm just grateful that you took some time out of your day to this was come and hang out.
Speaker 2: It was fun being late, it was fun.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no such thing as late.
Speaker 2: Okay that I got. I feel terrible on it. Just it's not my nature. Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 4: Honestly, as the person who you know sets this whole thing up and arrives here early, it's much more stressful for me when people are super early. Yes, yes, because for some reason, I don't like being watched setting up the equipment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it stresses me out.
Speaker 2: You'd be really bad in adult films.
Speaker 4: No, but we've had a couple of guests who shown up like forty five minutes early, and that's like when I'm getting here, though, and I'm like, oh my god, like, okay, I have to make small talk while setting up the equipment and doing the tests and everything. And then I'm usually you know, stressed out, so I start sweating and you can see it through my shirt and then I'm all self conscious. And and we had oh what was her name? She played for Alfarbis in Austin Powers we had last year and that happened. I was a little late though as well. She wasn't super early. But I'm setting up the equipment, I'm making small talk with her and we had been to dinner at a couple conventions, like she wasn't a stranger. And I'm setting up and the ac this was a previous studio and the a C had gone out that day. And it's right in Burbank. It's like down the street, and thank god, we brought a lot of host setting up and Mindy's there, Gym's there. You know, they're both sitting there waiting for me to get and I'm sweating, like sweating like no other and mindygos.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, he's sweating.
Speaker 4: I don't say anything about it that I'm like wiping myself. And you know, when you're so hot. You can't cool down.
Speaker 5: Especially, Yeah, all that pierced through my soul.
Speaker 2: Of course, then you would have you would have really been interested. In the early years of television.
Speaker 3: And I was there.
Speaker 2: They used in movies. They used those hot lights, really hot lights, and I could just feel it begin to run down. And I turn around and I'm looking Atlanta Turner. Wow, and she's cool. She's in her late sixties or something. She's cool. She's looking into the lights and I want to go because I can't see. It's like Cleig lights. And they don't do that anymore, but there was a period of time, but literally it was like Cleag lights. And I would get on the set and I go, I literally, how am I going to not do this? Or the whole thing? And I'd watch these actresses, Barbara Stanwick cool like this, give me a give me a give me a bastard amber, and give me a thing. And the lights are piercing hot, and she's cool and comfortable, and I'm in Texas Western gear and my boots are filling up. And Jessus, I have no idea how they did that. Those ladies they just steal them. They were steal They steel themselves against those hot lights, and they look fresh. No one ever would come in and dab them, right, I mean I I'd get off the set, and I was always the last shout of the day. Jew I mean, I always always sweating like this and always patted me down. I'm putting on more stuff and more backup. By the end of the day you could.
Speaker 3: Peel it off.
Speaker 2: And these gals just always look you leave me alone. I'm fine, don't touch my hair, don't touch my face. I'm fine, queen, but gorgeous, but gorgeous and look great. And then women were, they were, they were, you were older, and that attorney came over and introduced herself to me. Wow, hi, I'm not a turner. What's your name? I remember?
Speaker 3: Michael Bell?
Speaker 2: Michael Bell. Do I have any scenes with you? I said, I don't think so, miss Turner. She said, well, I'll see you later, and she walked away, and I thought, any bad.
Speaker 5: Wow, not a turner, My god, wow.
Speaker 2: I would tell that to some kids.
Speaker 3: Who oh yeah, who, yeah, that's no fair. No, yeah. You have to know. There's a famous story about Shelley Winter. She went into read for something, you know, well into her career, and the girl that was like twenty years old, and you're here to read and your name please, I'm Shelley Winter, Shelley so h no, wait no, it's s s H E L L. Eat. Now is that like an E y or just a just okay, just a why winter? Is it winter or Winters?
Speaker 2: What is it's us?
Speaker 3: Wait right here? And she went home, got her oscar, brought it back. She goes, I'm Shelley Winters. Okay, right, tell him I'm here and so it is my oscar. Oh right, that win Winters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who is it? Who is the famous director went through a very very similar experience and they said, uh, what have you done? He said, you start first, you go first. Yeah, it was a very famous director. That's really really Billy Wild or someone like that.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yes, he said, you first.
Speaker 2: This Lily said this little kay, you talked about it on television, little casting director, he said. The kid looked like he still needed clearer sue. He was the casting director. And he said, and what have you done? He said, you first? That's pretty good. That's not bad.
Speaker 3: I get yeah, I'll have to remember that. Hopefully I'll never use it.
Speaker 2: No, you you will, when they you will. I told you that, I think did I tell you that? B J Ward he was in the in the booth next was in the thing next to me at one of the cons and the guy came over to her table and he said, you were in in in the dog thing went for Hada my bear with the house Scooby, Scooby doing She said, yes, you were mona whatever the hely CaCu. She's yes, Oh my godd, you do that voice. Oh my godd, you do that. So she said sure. She said, okay, Scoob, we're in trouble and blah blah blah, et cetera. And he went, no, that's not it. How do you love that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, how do you?
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't have that problem because you know your voice is Yeah. But but just to say no, that's not my friend, Marshall Wallace, the late Marshal Wallace, rest her soul. Sure, And someone stopped once and she said, you know, I didn't think you were that funny when I saw you in this last Bob Nohart show. And marsh said, where do you see critique me on my forehead? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, anywhere. I'll show you something else you want to see it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, critique me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little person who now go back and watch your TV, go back and work at Arby's and yeah, yeah, and enjoy Enjoy. We have the meets Enjoy Wheel of Fortune.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast Do It Now.
Speaker 2: I did talk to a really wonderful actress who was nominated for Academy What you never mentioned names, who's an old friend, been around for years, merrill something no, no, okay, along that line, at her period in her life Oka and BC comes out. She's older at this point, and I wanted to get her work, so I said, my agent would be glad to take you on if you want to do a con. She said, I don't know. I don't do that, sweetheart. I said, yeah, but you've told me you live in New York. You've got two roommates. In New York. Yeah, and you get invited to stuff because you are who you are and people wanted to get your autograph. You may not have to go to the event if you don't want to. She said, I would never do that now for a million years a million dollars. And I said, yeah, I understand, Okay, I want put myself in that position. I said, okay, what you can do is sign the autographs at home. You have all your pictures, that said. And she says, I don't need I don't do that. That's embarrassing. And I thought, you know, I said, you know, there's a lot of people and I'm telling her that I do it. Yeah, And I tell her the kind of money that a name can get. And I said, I do okay on lines, but I don't do what he does. I don't do what Frank Welker does. I don't do what Mark Hamill does. But those guys said, you know, they can they can walk away with twenty thirty forty thousand dollars for a weekend of fifty thousand. You could do that. You're that big a name. You were in a big, major motion and you had been a number of motion pictures. But the major Motion picture nominated for me. I think you've got that. I don't even knows she got the Academo, but she was nominated for an Academy award. Everybody knows who you are. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't embarrass myself, said, okay. I never talked to her again.
Speaker 3: I hung up.
Speaker 2: I said, okay, no, swet, I wasn't angry. I said, okay, it's embarrassing to me because you're saying that I'm a I'm a performing monkey. Yeah, and it kisses me off. So I hung up and took her off my email list. And she calls me all the time for personal reasons because she's got some adjititive shit going on back here. And I've always helped her, and I've always assisted, and I've gone to see her, and you know, I've seen him when I've gone to New York. I spent some time with there. That's it. You get to do that to me only once. Yeah, I may have a little Italian in me because it's that kind Yeah, yeah, sure, that little thing, you know, Yeah, absolutely, I believe. How dare you? How dare you?
Speaker 3: I said? I told her, I said, you know who's to send to hang out with me.
Speaker 2: I said, you know who's standing next to me. I told about the three or four well known actors, big stars alongside doing really well, you know, because she doesn't know anybody else. She knows the big movie stars.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sure is. Yeah. You go there and have people fawn all over you well, and then they'll give you money. Yeah, so I don't blame you. Who needs that? Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I said, you make I understand if you make them happy, they're so glad to meet you. You're doing something nice. You had a chunking down some cash for it. And sometimes you don't take cash. Sometimes you say, sweetheart, especially if it's somebody who's who came out of the oven too soon, you know you, I see that's not necessary. There's no problem.
Speaker 3: We know those guys.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to give you an autograph. You don't have to pay. It's okay, you know, really, and they're crying and standing at the table, but they you know, they that's my feeling. They do they come out and be able to do soon. I'm really glad to help them I'm really glad to do it because they're very sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they sure are you and I know what it means to have baked or not.
Speaker 2: You know, and then and everybody else, everybody else is so thrilled to meet you. Nope, she wasn't having.
Speaker 3: Any of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I even you know, I travel with Jim to some of these conventions. Like I said, by the way, did you guys know that we're doing the podcast live? If fan Expo is here, that's true, check out the beginning and then for the episode to see the dates. But when I travel with Jim, sometimes, you know, I'll be sitting by you at your table or whatever, or even just walking through the convention, and I'll have people go Chris, and I look, and I'll think it's like somebody and hey, and I love the podcast. You know, you do such a great job. And it always takes me back because you know, like the mode I'm in is like this is like, I mean, I love the job, but it's work, you know, Like I'm working right now, and so I don't even think about like the back end of like when it airs, because like pretty much my job for the episode ends when it's edited. And we put it out, you know, and I'm on to the next guest or whatever, you know, doing my research or whatever. So it always takes me back when people are like, yeah, oh, I know you, and I'm like, yeah, wow, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's so important. I was at Jack Angel's funeral over in the Forest Lawn and he was in the army, so they had a whole the flag and the whole thing, and they went down and and Arlene was sitting there and we were also, and someone got up to make a declaration. It was one of his closest fans, and she was so hard felt. My wife turned around, she's I never want to hear any of these people ever complain about fans, because every now and then someone says things I said, you don't hear mak I'm thrilled to death. She said, look at that. How important he was to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh god, yeah she was.
Speaker 2: She just was literally she was caught up, and Arlie was in the front. She knew she'd be there, you know, she's and there are fans that, you know, you have certain fans that are just locked in. You have a lot of fans, but then there are certain fans that are just oh god, it's you. Yeah, yeah, keep coming back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, you know, I don't flatter myself, but I will say that Winnie the Pooh has uh he just is such a an icon to so so so many people. Yes, you know, and uh and there you know, and sometimes it's it's a little funny because you know, the husband will be there and he'll be like fifty and his wife's there and she's forty something, you know, and she can't talk because she's too busy crying and and you know, and then oh, what do your sweet you know, give her some Pooh and him and then then it's all over with. Then she's incapacitated and and he's stand and everyone.
Speaker 11: She really likes she really does, you know. I'm just telling you she really really. I mean, we have like forty dolls and dolls you know, and you.
Speaker 3: Know from when she was a kid. That's so funny. Well, thank you God bless her. So I always give her the extra you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Of course, no, that's so funny, but it's so sweet.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's very very sweet.
Speaker 3: And yeah, animation fans are I don't know, huge huge huge, I mean, and you can see and my theory is that it transports you back to when you're five. Yeah, everything was pretty good when you were five. Yeah, everything was good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I've heard I've heard people say things about some stars that were really nasty. Yeah, so I were really cold, you know, right, I have to keep going. I'm sorry, I'll be something behind you.
Speaker 3: Who's got the time for that?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? That's you know this, it's adulation. So it's like, I know that feeling that I had for Bamby, and we have that feeling for Thumper and the people that I grew up with, and certainly was stymied by talking to Lana Turner and you know, and do you remember Louis Hayward. Louis Hayward. Louis Hayward was a very well known actor. He always did swashbucklers and he was he was if you look up Louis Hayward. He did some wonderful swashman And I remember as a fan, Jony and I were big fans of Louie Hayward because he played the Scarlet Pimpernel character opposite Bennie Barnes, who was the Queen. And this is we're talking forties movie stars and and he would go downstairs. He'd go down and he'd have a side kicking okay now, and he put on his mask and do his thing and his swash. But next to her he would be like this, and he would talk like this, and he said, oh, your majesty, and he'd take a fan and go like this and really be devil the hell out of the sheriff. For whoever that guy was always hated him. He said, your majesty, and he do he played his very feet with a dot here and the wig, and then he'd go down and then come to go take up okay, quick patcho, and he'd go the thing and writing out and a mazarro almost like well, we loved him. And I did a Survivors the woman I did with the lanitary, and he's doing the scene with me, and I am jelled, I am so excited and he and he's ready to do the scene, I said, and the dregs says, okay, we're ready to go, and I said, okay a second, I said, I just have to tell you you did and I think I was filled a scar of pimpernel or something like that, whatever those dashing things, and he said, yes, I said, and you did the first Betty Davis impression ever done in movies. And he went, what I went, you went your majesty where he lost it? He absolutely lost it. He said, how old are you? You wait a minute, kid, I said, in my thirties, he said, and you remembered, I said. He said, that's oh my god. He just roared and wo. So now we're doing the scene. He's off camera. I'm sitting there, supposed to be in a lobby of a hotel. I'm supposed to mark him because I'm going to kill him. And I have a newspaper, you know, all shot cameras here, newspaper shout over on my shoulder. I lowered the newspaper and they watched my eyes follow him, and they watched miss He's going off, and just before he goes at a camera view, he goes, that's great. It was such a long shot.
Speaker 3: I didn't dare.
Speaker 12: I didn't dare fall apart. I just wanted to go ship. But he went, oh, just as oh my god, I said, snow we had went.
Speaker 2: Man. She said, Mikey No. I said, yeah, oh, Mikey. We were so excited because we were both big fans of his and that particular movie. Wow, and you kept it together, kept it together. That was hard, Yes, that was that was difficult.
Speaker 3: Keeping no kidding, that's good story.
Speaker 2: This was a treat guys, Jesus chat.
Speaker 5: That was so great, fantastic and thank you guys all for watching out there. We really appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Like I said before, we have a live podcast right now in partnership with fan xpo. Let me give you the dates one more time. Let me pull them up here. The next one that will be at is Philadelphia, May twenty nine to the thirty first, and once again this is fan xpo. We're doing a live podcast very similar to this, similar to a panel. It's a little more panelish when we do the live podcast just because of the format, but it's nice to it's nice to have the audience involved and to have you guys watch it live and then if you're not able to make it, then you can see it on YouTube. We post all of them on YouTube. The one after Philadelphia is Chicago August fourteenth to the sixteenth, Toronto August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, Dallas September eleventh to thirteenth, and San Francisco November twenty seven to twenty ninth, and there are more dates being added. There's a couple that we've done that are not on this list, so pay sure to check that out on the podcast page, on YouTube, on Instagram, Jim's Instagram, any, Jim's website, Jim Cummings World. All of it's posted all up there, sky and we really hope you enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 4: This was a great one. I think I had a lot of fun. Thank you so much, Michael Bell for being really well And if you like this content so much that you want to find more of it, I have good news for you. Tuned In with Jim Cummings is on Patreon as well. You can find bonus episodes that are not aired anywhere else. You can find extended little featurettes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: We put a little ten twenty minutes extended episodes on there. We have contest giveaways, all that good stuff. So check out check out now, I can't talk, It's okay. Just check out to Do with Jim Cummings on Patreon as well. And with all that said and done, once again, I'm producer Chris the Legend himself, mister Jim Cummings and the other legend himself, mister Michael Bell. Thank you again so much for being here, and we will see you all in the next one.
Speaker 3: TD boo, Yeah that was cool.
Speaker 1: Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to fanexpohq dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. Thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings