Speaker 1: Fifty.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show Call up Steve now went five to two oh four one seventy four.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Winning the Ball. Here all Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Dave Silverton with me today and now we have one with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Happy Monday to everyone out there, your truly mister goody two shoes, Mihitolindo back on Monday, Magic Monday. Right kind of sad Monday. Apparently you want to make No I had to go get lunch. Ok, No, it's not her good cooking, the best Mexican food, and and it's southern Arizona. I won't go there. It's starting off breaking news that came in about halfway through the first hour. The Wildcats of Arizona ever renewed their contract with Nike.
Speaker 3: Apparel, nik You Apparel, and it's a it's a multimillion dollar deal. I'm sure through what through what? Twenty thirty twenty thirty three, thirty three, I'll be an old man.
Speaker 1: I hope I'm still here. You'll be here.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. We'll be It's a good deal. And my host today is name Silver. He's joining us from some retirement community. He's retired, he's been retired, and he's still We're talking.
Speaker 4: Two and a half million dollars a year. It's a pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good little check that'll hit the that'll hit the will help with the deficit maybe or is that just merchandise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two point three three million for cash and merchandise. Ten year deal provides twenty three point three million worth of Nike products. Okay, it's a two point three three million a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's more of product not money, right, Yeah, it'll get good.
Speaker 1: It'll give student athletes access to the most advanced footwear, apparel, and equipment in the industry.
Speaker 4: We've got a call. It's under armor calling it. That's not true, mister Phil Knight on the line. Yeah, wait a seconds. I remember when they got that deal. Here, I am going back in the old days, but I remember they called me one time, this is maybe in the Nike called the TV station and they asked me to go to the UFA basketball game and just get some video of their new warm ups because they wanted to see what they look like on the players. This is literally just got to be late eighties maybe or whenever this original deal happened. They had kind of no clue they designed all these, you know, uniforms and different colors and different types of warm ups. They just wanted some video to see what it looked like.
Speaker 3: I should.
Speaker 1: I should.
Speaker 3: If anything, I would have known that, we would have had that in one hundred and one Things you Need to Know about Arizona.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was really cool. I mean, it's like, okay, what do you That's all you need. Just send them the tape.
Speaker 4: And I guess it was okay because they continued on to other sports.
Speaker 1: Men's tennis was playing the in the Diablo in Bye over the weekend. They beat Washington four to three and they beat the sun Devils of Arizona State four zero. They can play again this Friday ten o'clock and Saint John's. They also take on NAU. What are they ranked now? They were fourteen. I think I'm sure they're still around that area. They're eleven to one of the season. Yeah, no, very good. To softball, they played in the Judy Garment Classic, went five to zero, including upset win. If you want to call it an upset, maybe it's number four UCLA nine to eight and ten innings.
Speaker 3: Their quarterback, their picture, what's her name, that's nets. Yeah, she's done fantastically, and then that's how you win, get a good picture.
Speaker 1: Twenty one and two on the season, and they've played seventeen without what some people consider her the best player.
Speaker 3: What what's the record? You said the record? What's a ranking ranking? They saw today? They are number four.
Speaker 1: They went to number four. They pretty much swapp places with ucl Who Mike kens Ram, Wow, that's good. That's great. They would start like twenty something, twenty one and two fifteen and good. She needs this. Good there. Let's see what do they got next. They've got the conference, should be say, they got their conference at home. Conference plays starting starting Friday against UCF. They got three games three days. Yeah, starting starting Friday.
Speaker 4: Okay, been a rare Monday one o'clock game. There's gonna be a reason. Well there in spring break, like we were saying, yeap March t that'll be the first Monday week week from today. Okay, one o'clock.
Speaker 1: The baseball team had a couple of surprise wins in the Astros Foundation College Classic, including number one Texas A and M losing three to two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of came back in that game, right right right bottom on top of nine bottom whatever it was. Yeah. No, they've done well too since their start seven and four.
Speaker 1: They've only lost one game since the Owen three start, which was against number three Tennessee, losing one to five. But they also beat number eighte Mississippi State six to five. Yeah. They play again starting Thursday against Pepperdine, four game series. That's pretty rare too. Yeah here Pepperdine is usually pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and right, and then squeeze it in a week from tomorrow a su here is a conference state.
Speaker 3: Game, or if it's a conference game, because you know, those sometimes don't work that way, don't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't It doesn't show as a big twelve matchup.
Speaker 4: But those are always kind of fun. Those mid week six o'clock games. I'd like to go to those. Did you cover baseball back in the day?
Speaker 1: In the movie?
Speaker 3: I heard I was still in college, and I heard that they the fans, very knowledgeable, used to rag both sides. It used to be a great great matchups, great atmosphere. I think the biggest crowds ever at San st Stadium were the Ashue games.
Speaker 1: By far in the mid eighties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and when there were some great teams. You know, both teams had either been to College World Series or we're on the verge just about everybody every year. So like the six Pack, they called it the league in those years.
Speaker 3: And isn't that where Don started.
Speaker 4: It's kind of where he made his debut mark on top of the dugouts or something.
Speaker 1: Screwing. Okay, the women's basketball team gotta win at Arizona State sebody one to fifty nine, and the crowd that was mainly Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty impressions. I think they took three buses, right, So so what's next? They have them?
Speaker 1: They got they played number well in the seating they played number nine Colorado or number sixteen Houston, number eight number I believe.
Speaker 4: So that's in Kansas City also in.
Speaker 1: The City Mobile Center. I believe it's the same same course, same arena. That's okay. It's a good arena too.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a nice kind of like team like the one in Vegas. Yeah, did you I kind of remember it. I don't remember much about it to you.
Speaker 3: I didn't go. Oh I was there, I didn't go. That's one of the places I didn't go with eighty. I wasn't covering the team.
Speaker 4: If I remember, Kansas City has an area called the Stockyards. It's kind of their touristy. And back then we're you know, almost forty years ago, it was it.
Speaker 1: Was fun, pretty hot.
Speaker 3: That's that's what they say that that people who are complaining about Vegas, wait till you see this. It's not you know, you can't go and you know, the bouchery till two in the morning, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good place.
Speaker 4: My mother was born there, so I got to go there a few times over the years. But and then to cover you know, a couple of U of A games with the two thousand and one was it? We were there for first round Kansas City?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the snow, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Wasn't that the beginning of the run to the final of the Final four?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: If I remember was a Kansas City, San Antonio, Minneapolis, No check on that. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Well, God, no, I don't think so, because I remember that.
Speaker 4: I found I thought our story from Martidi days. Was we had a guy that drove the live truck from Tucson all the way to Kansas City.
Speaker 3: You're checking it. I'm pretty sure. I don't think so. And they the freeway is the same. Agize that's true because this was two thousand and one one when they went to the finals.
Speaker 4: Let me check, maybe, I'm I don't think I'm getting old man is going.
Speaker 1: I'm checking right now. Okay, it did start in Kansas City. See where when it was in not Kemper. There's might have been. I don't even remember this at all. And I went to twenty of them. When does San Antonio next? Yeh, San Antonio? And then back to Minneapolis.
Speaker 4: It was it's the same freeway.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious time.
Speaker 4: Now we had a guy drive our satellite truck from Tucson. Okay, I'll beach in Kansas City and we we fly in. What did you play in the first round?
Speaker 1: They played Eastern Illinois and then Butler.
Speaker 3: Remember remember I do remember brother because Dad Mona was a coach. Yeah, and then you had old Miss I don't remember, Kansas City, Illinois, Michigan State and then and it.
Speaker 4: Was all the same freeway from down to San Antonio to Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I think I remember nineteen ninety seven Birmingham and yeah in those ones. Memphis, I don't remember the city. I'll get it. It's a good place. Oh yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 1: Women's basketball is nineteen and twelve on the season. They are on a four game win streak. Maybe they can win a couple in the Big twelve tournament, they make a little bit of a NCAA push.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need to do that. They need to do that. You know, Das has been fantastic here. But but but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: As we talked about, Arizona lost at Iowa State. Arizona men's basketball lost to number nine Iowa State eighty four to sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Do we have the top twenty five? I wheer did Iowas State move up to? There were some great games this weekend, and I'm sure there was a shift impact twelve in the PACT in the top twenty five, on the in the top.
Speaker 1: Ten, so that they were ranked number nine. Yeah, and apparently what I have on ESPN is that they dropped one because they did they lose before. I guess ye, I'm guessing it was because of the Oklahoma State loss. Yeah, uh so, we'll see what happens. They play Arizona A men's basketball is back in Actually.
Speaker 3: You're surprised that there was on the State of the Top twenty five. I was then because you were twenty fours a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They The men's basketball team takes on Arizona State tomorrow nine o'clock. Another lovely late tip off. Yeah, I hate those. The Arizona football team hired Craig Navar for Special Teams for the special teams coach, per Pete Thamio of ESPN, he'll replace dannigan Zalez, who elevated to defensive coordinator. Houston secured their second and back to back Big Twelve regular season title. Pretty impressive, you know, two seasons, two titles. Good for Houston.
Speaker 4: Third in the country, number three, and.
Speaker 1: Then Saint John's wrapped up the Big East title this weekend.
Speaker 4: Uh so, Ray, that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you want to argue with me or not, and you can if you will, But to me, Rick, but he's the best college coach in the country right now.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's been there for a long time. He's been a coach for a long time.
Speaker 3: But everywhere he's been, everywhere he goes, he succeeds, you know, and Saint John's you know, at one point premier program and he's kind of brought him back forty years ago. Have you seen his show, the show that I told you about and Vice? It's very good? Oh about Patino? Yeah, no, that it's a very good show. It can't just show you you can't you can't be a nice guy when you're a coach. And not that he's not a nice guy. He's a stern guy and makes you want to play for him.
Speaker 4: It seems like he's been part of our college basketball world forever. I mean I can remember being way back in the maybe late seventies when he was a Provident with Donovan Tullie Donovan as a player. As a player, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, come on, when you take a Providence to the final four, okay, and then you do the rest of the things in Kentucky and and Louisville. Louisville of course, and then he went to Iona. Yeah, you know, the rehab, rehab his image and now he's Saint John.
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: Is that it?
Speaker 1: Do you have more? Have more? Okay? The top twenty five came out as we talked about Auburn, and Duke remained at the one in two Houston at three, going down the list, Tennessee, Florida, Saint John's, Alabama, Michigan State tecond then I will.
Speaker 3: I'll give you fifty bucks. Were you gonna pick to win it all?
Speaker 1: Right now? Yeah? Right now?
Speaker 3: No tomorrow when you're not here, I would. I always hoping, So you just take the one. I'll take Duke, Duke, I think they are like at five to one, it got to be the favorites. It's well, it's Auburn that like three, three to one. Really, I asked, because I already made my bed, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I will?
Speaker 4: You could probably just go down the list of the say the top twenty, and just probably every team maybe has a chance.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. I think he went with Florida.
Speaker 3: It is because I mentioned that we got that ten to one, ten to one, Okay, they beat Every.
Speaker 4: Team has a chance, and every team a chance to lose in the first or second round. That's usually how it goes.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the handicap, David. I mean, there's always going to be this two fifteen ridiculousness and virgin is out.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Arizona's in. So you never know Michigan that they belonging there.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Okay, same old, same old. If things gonna get any worse. In Dallas, the Mavericks are raising their ticket costs citing they want the fans to invest in the team.
Speaker 3: Uh and the organization. How how screwed up you have to be. It's like, you know, we screwed you this time. I would do it again here in the two more weeks. I'm trying to come up with an analogy here. Well, Arizona, we're not very good, but we're gonna raise your prices. It's not a ticket increase, but we're gonna give you.
Speaker 4: You have to pay more money some some way, somehow, people are paying more anytime. Luca is just going nuts already for the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Kevin Durant, Uh, I'm not sure what that was, but Kevin Durant said that the songs were embarrassed. They embarrassed themselves and they're lost to the Timberwolves yesterday. Yeah yeah, uh so we'll see again. That's another see what happens at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: We've got to get out of here in about a minute. So maybe can I go through something why my trusty guy, Javier push Ridge wins the three A boys basketball title and Salad Point and the women's soccer and boys soccer when there are titles in four A. We'll probably have Booking and Kelly Pierce on here in the show. Maybe this week. PEMA, the men thirty and oh undefeated with incredible with Dan Marty's son one of the leaders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had them.
Speaker 3: On the show.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you were my old buddy, Brian Peabody head coach.
Speaker 1: Great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty and O and the PEMA and women's qualified for the region tournament after going eight straight wins, winning eighth Street times. So Pima's doing really well. And so with the high schools and locally good to hear.
Speaker 4: I mean, really team at thirty and oh, that's that hasn't happened no ever, No eighteen and oh conference.
Speaker 3: You know, I think they're one of the most I know. Jayard does a great job with them, but let's talk about we've had him on the show obviously, and.
Speaker 4: They score a lot of points every game. They're in the nineties or defense low one hundred.
Speaker 3: We don't need those stinking defense.
Speaker 4: Even one of the lower scoring games, they won seventy three to forty nine. But so they're playing seven was the last score?
Speaker 3: You sure you gotta go. We gotta get the kid. He's gonna call him seventeen.
Speaker 1: So let's go.
Speaker 5: Are you ready?
Speaker 6: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 7: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yaki Try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener, bathroom of your dreams Browsey aisles of in stock cabinet. It's available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window deepot dot com, the window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who.
Speaker 3: Know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 8: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 1: Leading Edge an extra prize equipment on.
Speaker 8: Twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 3: It's time to restock.
Speaker 9: Your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at.
Speaker 4: Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, how to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs of subjicts to change with ut notice?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experience, committal defense attorney called Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to ZHO twelve thirteen, Browt sponsor of Eye on the Ball, Go Catch.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termites, bees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's cat run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: If you're feeling.
Speaker 7: Overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the Ball on Tucson sports station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my the ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty mc rivera. And with me today is Dave Silver. Now on the phone, we have with John Matheni, the new Twucson Amateur Champion golfer.
Speaker 12: John.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 13: I'm doing good? How are you guys?
Speaker 3: We're doing well? Congratulations. How'd you feel over the weekend?
Speaker 13: Very exciting and a lot of different emotions throughout the days, but overall exciting.
Speaker 4: Was this building? Was this something you could see coming? I mean, you're still in your teens, and I'm sure you're competing against guys much older than you. Did you have a pretty good sense where your game was as you headed into this tournament?
Speaker 13: Yeah? I kind of gauged where my game was coming into this tournament through my practice sessions before the tournament, and I felt in a good place preparing for this tournament, and my swing felt, you know, pretty great with my dad's help as my swing coach.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so yeah, he sent me the information this morning. What's your handicap? Well, let me with a He's a freshman at Keteleena Foothills fifteen years old. I have socks older than that obviously, I think your dad does too. So what's what's your handicap?
Speaker 13: Well, I would probably say roughly around a two to a one to three in between there. I mean, I haven't been keeping a straight handicap since I was little, but the past couple of years that I've been competing, it's probably around a three too.
Speaker 4: Take us through this event, because is this this is where you go from course to course to course?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Is it all over the over one weekend.
Speaker 3: Before you actually, which is a good question. Is this your first time in the event.
Speaker 13: Yes, this is my first time in the event.
Speaker 3: Nice start, Yeah, So go ahead and just take us through.
Speaker 1: You know what you what you went through?
Speaker 13: Well, So the first day I played was on Friday, and that event was at fred Anki and just there was really tough. I knew going into it the back nine was going to play a lot harder through the front nine, so I really mentally prepared for taking it real low on the front nine, and I was lucky enough to get a three under start through three, which really brought confidence going into the nine pole, which I know you can get on that green in two, which allowed me to make birdie there, so I ended up but I did have a bogie on I believe the seventh hole, so I ended up shooting three under on that front nine, and then back nine I got even the hotter started going two under in the next I believe five holes, which then I was able to stick with until the fifteenth hole, where or sixteen inst in seventeenth hole where I went bogey bogeing. That was just a mental error not committing to a shot, which I'm still learning about, I guess at fifteen. And then the next day, which was on Saturday, we played dell Urich, and this was a tough day as I believe the winds were around thirty eight miles per hour and this was really challenging. But I knew the winds were going to be later on in the days, just like the day before, I wanted to go low on the front nine and I was able to have a really great start at going three under on I believe hole four was it par four. I hit a drive from three twenty to three set to make eagle, which was a real confidence booster after not getting to a hot start on the first three holes and uh and then I was able just to battle the winds the back nine, and then the final day was just trying to you know, stick with and stick with the lead and just finished strong.
Speaker 3: Did you did you have the lead at any point before Sunday?
Speaker 13: Yes, I had the lead after the first round. But then the second round another player his first name was Joey. He played really amazing and shot five under round into that wind, which was an incredible round.
Speaker 3: And so what do you think about what do you think you're going into Sunday?
Speaker 13: Well, going into Sunday, I knew I just had to play my game and see what that did. And you know, he he played great and it was a really great battle, and I just stuck with my game, hit fairways, hit hit greens and stride making putts.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe a strange question, but does this get you into any other tournaments by winning the city Amateur here?
Speaker 13: Uh No, I believe this City Amateur doesn't qualify for me anything else. I guess it's more of a mental boost as I know I can compete at a high level and that's always something positive, I guess. So yeah, nothing nothing next.
Speaker 3: So along those lines, what are you confident that you can go do after this and and with that, are you the youngest champion ever here? Uh?
Speaker 13: Yes, I do believe I am the youngest championship so far what I've gathered. But I mean so coming up, I have a couple more tournaments that I'm looking forward to, and this obviously gives me a positive mindset going into these and I'll take what I have learned from the tournament to those tournaments.
Speaker 3: Dave, when I was fifteen, I was just hoping Penelope received my note to say I liked her.
Speaker 4: I think I borrowed my dad's clubs when I was fifteen too. So how did you get did you? I'm assuming your famili has helped you get to this point?
Speaker 13: Yes, oh yeah, no. They have given me tons of opportunities, as I able to be a member, have a membership out here at Omni, and be able to practice out here every day is you know. I greatly am appreciated of that, and I'm able to work on my game every day, which is a huge benefit as I you know, don't lose my swing. But then also the support they gave me was incredible, as my dad caddied for me for two of the days and then my mom for the second or for one day, she was able to caddy for me, and that having those two in my corner is always helpful.
Speaker 3: So you go to school at Kellleen the foot Hills. You're among your freshmen there. Did anybody of your friends or just the people there know that you did this?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 12: No, they.
Speaker 13: My friends and everyone they know of my accomplishments and they all wished me congratulations. And that was really cool to go back to school like that.
Speaker 3: So dave you play a little, right, if you played a lot and you were pretty good, you see this little fifteen year old come in? I got this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he kicked your butt? What do you think? What is Yeah?
Speaker 4: What kind of reaction do you get from you know, Joe Amateur when you say you want to go out and play at you know, Randolph and they're think about who's his kid? Yeah, the sharpshooter. Does that happen to you as well?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 13: Well, I mean yeah, they kind of, you know, they kind of wonder who I am when it's fifteen, you know. But it's cool to look at the other guys and be able to you know, talk to them and their experiences to learn off them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I'm sure people already know who you are though too.
Speaker 13: Oh oh yeah, No, it's a great golf community, especially the Tucson golf community. It's very very cool and uh friendly.
Speaker 4: Have the have the colleges come knocking on your door yet? Are you still too young for that?
Speaker 13: No, I'm still too young for that. But you know, college is definitely in my path. You know where I want to go, but you know that's just for the future. But it's insight.
Speaker 3: When did you start? You said you started young. At what point did you start?
Speaker 11: And?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: And you played golf four or five times a week? Oh?
Speaker 13: Yeah, No, I try and get out every day here at Omni And I've been started playing golf well ever since I was little. My grandmot got me, I think, my first step. But my dad really is the one who's been coaching me since I was little. But I only started playing competitive golf around the age of nine to ten only.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you talked about this. Do you use this word a lot of confidence? You know, they give you confidence. I don't golf because I'm horrible at it, Dave David, when you put you you're kind of your recreational yeah, as much. But when you play it with this Golf seems to be one of those sports, having covered all these sports that if you don't have that confidence, you're not going to do well no matter what you do.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yes, confidence is really important in the game of golf, and especially the mindset of you know, being confident thoughts and obviously well overall confidence when you're swing, because if you don't have, you know, confidence in your swing, you don't really trust and that's where mistakes.
Speaker 9: Can come in.
Speaker 13: And my dad the final day, when I was a couple down after seven holes, he was the one who really gave me, I guess confidence and I learned a lot from it and the experience, you know, the confidence that was he put into my mind was really helping to where I was able to shoot really well the last ten holes that I played, and that's always helpful.
Speaker 3: Do you I'm curious, do you have an older brother, older sister, a younger brother, younger sister.
Speaker 13: Yes, I have a younger brother who's my twin and I'm just a minute older than Does he golf too, Yeah, we golf every day and he's kind of there. I always try and help him out. He's helping me out it's a mutual friendship I get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also someone to go out with him and work is you know, you have two people doing it. You can get better that way by competing.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Yeah, we can both watch see what we're doing wrong too, we're doing right and that's always helpful. When did he have playing goal?
Speaker 3: Did he participate?
Speaker 13: Yeah? He played too. He played well the last day, but the first two days it was a little rocky. But he's he's starting to play a little better. So I'm always rooting for him, and I think he can get to a similar spot where I am and shooting pretty decent scores.
Speaker 3: How did you? Is there a secret is how you've gotten so good this young? Is there a way you can well, I mean explain it.
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 13: So well. I mean there's really no secret to it other than just working. But I mean, I guess kind of swing wise, my dad has always taught me one of my fundamentals, and that's kind of where you preparation for the swing and then also just hitting the ball pretty far, because I know these college guys hit the ball pretty far. And I'm trying to be just up there with him because I know if I have the length to hit it. I mean, I can you know, putting and chip and can come. But you know, length isn't always given, and so with me hitting the ball pretty far from my age, I think that's given me a real advantage towards these courses where these greens are gettable with a driver.
Speaker 1: Nice. Wow.
Speaker 3: So I asked you about the older guys, will they they probably know you are not surprised or whatever. Have they treat you that the last three days? Oh?
Speaker 13: Well, everybody treated me, you know, I guess normally as a golfer. They were all, you know, congratulating me towards the end. It was kind of normal. They kind of treated me as I was just a regular kid. But I don't think really many people knew that I was fresh, and I think they all thought I was more of a senior or junior or out of college. But I think for the most part, everybody treated me normally.
Speaker 3: And yeah, hey kid, you need a right home.
Speaker 4: How much experience do you have outside of playing desert golf if you had a chance to go play, you know, on the coast or somewhere else, you know, in different environments.
Speaker 13: Yet, oh yeah, I've played a lot of tournaments outside of just the West, like in Florida or Colorado. I've played, you know, tournaments in New Mexico, although that's a little bit of a desert course, but yeah, I've played a lot of tournaments outside just desert areas. So just trying to gauge experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, now we've got to keep you an eye out for John Matthaney the third in your future, because that's pretty pretty cool. Youngest dude doing the America the Tucsun Amateur Championships. Fantastic.
Speaker 1: What did you?
Speaker 3: I guess you probably you had your vision on doing this in a while, right, You probably signed up a long time ago. Is there is it? You can you play as a fourteen year old, thirteen year old or you have to be fifteen?
Speaker 13: Oh no, I've only ever heard this this year. I heard about it probably, I want to say too, our will win sign up. Half of my dad kind of just found this tournament and it was just like, well we can play in this, and I said, well, sure I can play in that, I guess, and here we are.
Speaker 3: Cool. Well, congratulations a job. What do you get? You gotta saw you with a couple of trophies or something.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I was, I well, there's a trophy in the clubhouse that's going to have my name on it, and then I get a trophy here that I get to keep in my bedroom.
Speaker 3: If you probably have a ton of them, Well, thanks so much, Jonathan, John, thank you, appreciate you very much.
Speaker 13: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good luck to you. You don't need luck. You're gonna kick the crap out of people. Thank you, John, appreciate it. Yeah, yeah, good luck, John Latini. Obviously, fifteen, I was like playing marbles.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if I could play that well any age of my life, that's for sure. That's great at fifteen to be able to do that. Put other numbers like that. Yeah, yeah, okay, awesome. Let's take a break, maybe take some calls here to finish the day.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, Nation MYI coverage and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three.
Speaker 5: Five five one four four four four ah three five five one four four four.
Speaker 9: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tuson, Steve Vera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky rooft They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or colum at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health the.
Speaker 1: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 8: Second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more. Let's pees need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sound Spectrum PERYMID Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured at by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio while this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Lie on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver. You were one got ready and with us too, getting ready for the end of the show here. If you want to call five two zero four one six seventy four forty I let us know what you're thinking. We have some continuation, Yeah, we're kind kind of continuation of breaking news.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Johnson is retiring from Fox NFL coverage after thirty one years.
Speaker 3: You can kind of see that was happening, right with people kind of filling in for.
Speaker 1: Him a lot.
Speaker 4: Did you I mean, if you guys watched the pregame show of the Super Bowl, they did kind of a retrospective of his life with AI. They kind of like, I don't even know how to describe it, but they started showing him, I think, playing with Jerry Jones in college and they showed you know, did you guys see this thing? It was pretty cool, but it was his entire life and I went through animation and through technology, he aged all the way to whin he is now. I mean, all his years, you know, coaching in college, coaching with the Cowboys, coaching with the Dolphins. It was pretty It was a pretty creative piece of work, and everybody thought, well, he's going to announce his retirement when this thing ends. He didn't until now. I guess he did it today on Colin Coward Show or something.
Speaker 1: It's quoted the most one I ever had in my career, that's counting super Bowls in national championships was that Fox Sports he did for.
Speaker 3: Thirty one years. That's how long he's been out of the business.
Speaker 4: Didn't he live on a boat in Miami or something. Yeah, that's kind of his thing. But that's what I really liked.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They're just horrible. It's about about the last time they were worth watching. Arry Switzer was next years. Switzer was the coach then, right when they played in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tempee, what do you think he'll be remembered for the most But how about them cowboys?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Some good hair, I mean good haircut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that hair.
Speaker 4: The white hair looked the same his entire career.
Speaker 3: Right he did. It was like you were old when you were forty five.
Speaker 1: It's like Lute.
Speaker 3: Lewis, he's always looked at your way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then like Steve kurs Is, he's always been old. I feel like they're gonna people are gonna end up saying that about me. All Right, I'm already I've gotten great hair since.
Speaker 3: fIF years old, dying. Where is it that I can't see it?
Speaker 4: It shines off of everyone. You're an old soul. Oh yeah, old soul. That's what I needed. I need a gray hair. When I was on television, ever, I thought I looked like it was like twenty Oh really, And then finally started coming in.
Speaker 3: After as I started literally super old my boy Miguel or fat Mike. Would he say, Dave Silver with the Grecian or no, what do you say? He did the jail? He said Jael something. Then he talked about Guy Ashley. I can't remember what he said. Whatever, whatever he said, You've looked the same to me all this time. Yeah, Dave, Okay, anything else? Anybody calling five to two, one forty. We'll see what happens tomorrow night, and I'm not looking forward to it. Late Night's gonna be a long day tomorrow. Oh you can talk about the Colder Guard Classic that's starts this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of kind of started. There's a few things going on. The fans can finally get over there inside the ropes at La Poloma on Wednesday for the pro am. Yeah, so that's kind of when it starts. As a few kind of pre event, pre tournament events that have happened so far. Yeah, golfers come in, whether champion to the weather should be really nice. You know, Jim Furick will be here for a wild can he's coming Okay, well, just to what to play a lot of the usuals. I mean yes, you can play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Okay, Stricker, Wow, let's take a quick you know he's got we'll take your call. You saw that you called. Just give us quick call back. I didn't know he was gonna play.
Speaker 4: Well, that's one story, says they were able to get Jim Feurick to return for this year's event.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I think he's just about fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: One, has won seventy one million dollars playing golf.
Speaker 3: Well, he's been very philanthropic here a to ubay. He's given a lot of money to the him and current some of those games.
Speaker 4: I think he created a scholarship in Ler in the business college where he graduated.
Speaker 3: Did you have any ties Taylor?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: No, Okay, got a call.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring up the one of our guys, Blake Eager his event. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The World Baseball Class Classic started yesterday.
Speaker 1: Uh, Colombia won their game, Brazil and Germany split their two games, and China lost their their one game.
Speaker 3: They've already played. How many games did they play?
Speaker 1: I thought they played Some teams played one and then a couple of teams. I've already played two, and there were.
Speaker 4: Two yesterday and so far one more coming up right right?
Speaker 1: Six?
Speaker 4: Who did you like watching or did you I just saw one game. I just saw Germany be China. Yeah, and Germany pounded them. Yeah, they ended it early.
Speaker 3: Did I guess his kid playing or I don't know if he's pitched today or maybe who's a big deal. I guess they're gonna set up their own press conference with the mom and the dad. Oh really, yeah, we got to call. We got an email from uh from Eric Rhoades, and he says, don't don't ask for an interview without our permission. Pretty much, there's no one on ones. They're going to set it up so everybody can be their task question. And this is the MLB product. That's who's running this show. I've learned that yes, oh do tell no, It's okay. Yeah, And that's just how it is. You know, they own it. So they're going to come in and do it for what two games? Two games, six games, eight games, seven games total.
Speaker 4: Game on Thursday, and then there's two tomorrow, and there were two today and two yesterday, so it's quick and I think some of the games are on TV. If you go to the w BC website you can watch them. Tickets are relatively cheeckens were cheap fifteen. Yeah, I believe tomorrow. I'm positive tomorrow is Kid's Day. So there'll be a million little kids running around for the first game in the morning and then I'm not sure what they have going in the afternoon. But what's the good any kind of special night? Yeah, put me on the spot. I know one of these nights was was military night. I'm not qua college college college night.
Speaker 1: College is.
Speaker 3: Cheap beer, cheap dogs, cheap food. Yeah, right, you'll be there.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually got to cover it for a class of mind. Okay, cool? Yeah, really did you do your homework for for Blake? Didn't you send you stuff? I'm a good students, don't mess up as often.
Speaker 3: We try not to get in trouble. You go and get your your sack, lunches given to you. What else, Dave, what else you got? You know, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of a fun time of year, springs, rainings rolling along in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everything everyone's kind of you know, in the early in their seasons with you know, weekend games and stop on baseball playing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's good.
Speaker 3: Gonna call who's this you're on the air. Hello, Hello, you're on the air.
Speaker 1: Who's this?
Speaker 3: Oh Brian, Hey, Brian, you're hard to hear today. Well there you.
Speaker 12: Are, there, you are turn up, your turn up your miracle.
Speaker 4: There there we go.
Speaker 3: It ain't it ain't money. Okay, go ahead, just not looking forward to.
Speaker 12: The game tomorrow night.
Speaker 14: Not for the game, but at nine o'clock start time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well it's almost over. What's that Saturday? It's a mid day game, right, thirty tomorrows the last of it. Saturday is mid day.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, Brian, we talked about this. You called off Friday with Jay and stuff. Uh, Saturday party didn't didn't surprise you?
Speaker 14: Well, it surprised me, and that we played so poorly. You know, I didn't think we played that bad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I thought, you know, we you know, I thought we made a defense better.
Speaker 14: I don't know that's handling the ball better, but I guess you know, I've seen it all season and nothing's changed though.
Speaker 3: Right are you? How high are you on this team?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 3: Skilled?
Speaker 1: One to ten?
Speaker 12: Live?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you don't what everybody saying.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say that because everybody's been discontented or disheartened by this whole last few months.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, and I can see you can see the frustration and Tommy.
Speaker 1: Light, you know.
Speaker 3: How, because I'll give you mind.
Speaker 12: I mean, well, okay, like.
Speaker 14: You'll see the offense kind of run something and make a terrible ass and whatever, you.
Speaker 12: Know, and and you just may show him on TV or whatever, and just to look on his face.
Speaker 3: Well he had one of those looks this weekend, did he he had? I tweeted about Sean Miller when Sam Decker couldn't get stopped and he looked like, what can we do?
Speaker 1: You know, what can we do?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They have fans are thinking too good?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I don't. I just you know, it's just maybe it's gonna you know, maybe they're gonna surprise this. I hope they do. I would love to be disappointed.
Speaker 3: What would be the surprise.
Speaker 14: Get to the Elite eight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, A lot of teams would have to go right, obviously, a lot of things.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we have to be a ton of stuff to go right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 12: Okay, but you know, hey, you talk.
Speaker 14: We went on that streak for thirteen out of fourteen games.
Speaker 12: Why not do it again?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The quality of teams are going to be different. So here's here's what I see in Tommy's frustration for the last three ye years. I think Tommy's I think the world of Tommy. I think he does a great job, especially in replacing Sean because of what happened at the end of Sean. And he's been very bubbly and he kind of still continues to do. But he's also been a little biting the last month or so.
Speaker 12: Right, you know, I mean, Okay, you can sit here and could only make excuses for so.
Speaker 1: Long for your team.
Speaker 14: Well then after a while, you know, I mean, the fans aren't totally stupid, you know, they see, you know, there's not that much really improvement, you know, since all you know, and I know we went thirty out of fourteen, but our last six have been not very good.
Speaker 3: No, Brian, you know one of the things too, he talked about, I'm sorry to uh it was Thursday. It was again, what game was it Friday?
Speaker 1: What game did we go to?
Speaker 3: That was the And we looked at each other and I gave you the nod. WHI So he mentioned that without mentioning it. Saturday night, in the postgame of his radio show, he says, you know, I really liked he said, I got into the know, I really liked what the Iowa State people. You went in. People were already down, sitting down, already actively kind of engaged in the game. The game hadn't even started. And he says, you know, we need to start being better at that, because Arizona, you were there, it was it was ten thousand.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's generous.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 14: And and also one thing too, Arizona, I don't think that the time is for the game.
Speaker 3: We are late, right, no question, no question.
Speaker 1: Always.
Speaker 14: I don't care for three o'clock in the afternoon, six o'clock at night. It's about the same thing. People start pouring in there about you know, uh right when they're playing a national anthem or you know, addressing the players whatever, and so the atmosphere doesn't really kick in until about two or three minutes into the game.
Speaker 4: Right, you're right in that way, When does the band start playing? Does the band play early?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they do, but if there's hardly anybody there, it doesn't really matter who's playing, right.
Speaker 3: You're right, you're right. Well, well, the last chance on tomorrow, Yeah, thanks Brian.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think this should be the good one though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree to I agree that would be yeah, thanks man.
Speaker 14: Yeah, okay, but.
Speaker 1: I was saying the BAM starts about twenty minutes oh before yeah, poor, Okay, I'm sure tomorrow will start thirty because of the senior ceremonies.
Speaker 3: Senior ceremonies. Yeah, that's true. They better get there early. Yeah, they're going to see that stuff. You say that the crowd could, the kids could be a little crazy, especially with a issue.
Speaker 1: I know, I know I used to be. Yeah n o'clock specifically with a issue.
Speaker 3: And you started getting your gray hair. Yep, here you guys.
Speaker 1: I got about ten on that sit down.
Speaker 4: I think spring break is going to start Wednesday for a lot of this, Oh yeah, probably probably remember, Yeah, the campus starts to clear out pretty pretty early in the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take the ten day break, yeah, I think Ray you're taking You're taking the nine game nine day break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a I'm a head out on Thursday morning, Harry to the peninsula over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why not? Right?
Speaker 1: School school school.
Speaker 4: Well, because we were saying at the top of the show, you know, he was saying he's going to give him a rat of a five or something, like that. It's kind of perfect because I mean, they're you just don't know what they're what you're gonna get. It could be great, that could be terrible. And that's kind of the way there season's gone. It's funny because I know everybody talks about that. Well, in ninety seven they were a four seed, and you see every year you hear it, right, this is the year that could happen to be a four seat and they didn't do this, they didn't do that, and then they will go on this run. Right, well, and that's usually how each team is remembered anyways, what happens in mid March.
Speaker 3: Right, unfair or fair? Right, it's just the way it is. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 4: We get there every year, though, but the UFA gets there pretty much every year.
Speaker 3: You've got a mouse in your pocket, the we you know, you're a we that can be a we. Now one's a week until for about two more months you guys are paying tuition. Yeah, yeah they're wee. I'm not a wee, but you're right. We'll see. So how did you how do you what was the legacy of the first yeas?
Speaker 1: First year?
Speaker 3: Who Tommy's first year first year here? What's the quick what's this the legacy of the first year? It was it was no, no, it was it was the Houston. It was a great season. It was a great season. You lost in the sweet sixteen. Great season, great season, Okay my opinion, Okay, okay, because I think they the last like five six games that season. Yeah, we lost to Houston in a rough up. Okay, So okay, Princeton, Oh I'm sorry, Princeton.
Speaker 1: Terrible. Yeah, that was an up and down season as well, just overall, because there was I think that was one of those type of seasons where you go and lose at Oregon State and you're kind of, well, is this is a tournament team?
Speaker 9: Really?
Speaker 5: This year?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they playing well?
Speaker 3: You're talking about that, you're comparing that to this year?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 1: Overall?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so that's terrible, Dave, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Same word. I wouldn't say terrible, well, I mean just disappointing.
Speaker 3: Okay, last year, last year team.
Speaker 1: Who they do at the end.
Speaker 4: Sweet sixteen? I mean that's kind of predictable.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: How much was Arizona favored by They must have been.
Speaker 1: But it was it was close, like one and a half. Yeah, yeah, do you have an Arizona's history. I wasn't surprised. It was more of a another one of those why didn't we show up again?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why didn't they?
Speaker 3: And you were talking about the beginning, the getting into this session. They have all these flaws. I guess what's going to eventually catch them? All these flaws.
Speaker 4: Flaws aren't going to go away.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you're right.
Speaker 5: You're right.
Speaker 4: Whether or not they can get around some of those things, you know, balance it out somehow, and we goes away and Arizona doesn't give up eleven three pointers maybe.
Speaker 3: Six instead one gives us the break. We gotta go, we gotta go.
Speaker 1: We're done.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody, Yeah so quick. Yeah, see you Wednesday, see you Wednesday, maybe Thursday, Thursday. Okay, thanks Case