Speaker 1: You are listening to the IFH podcast Network. For more amazing filmmaking and screenwriting podcasts, just go to ifahpodcastnetwork dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, Episode number four fifty five. Your dream doesn't have an expiration date, Take a deep breath and try again. Kat You Whitten broadcasting from a dark, windowless.
Speaker 1: Room in Hollywood when we really should be working on that next draft. It's the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, showing you the craft and business of screenwriting while teaching you how to make your screenplay bulletproof.
Speaker 3: And here's your host, Alex Ferrari.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome to another episode of the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast.
Speaker 4: I am your humble host Alex Ferrari.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Today's show is sponsored by Bulletproof Script Coverage.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Unlike other script coverage services, Bulletproof Script Coverage actually focuses on the kind of project you are in the goals of the project you are, so we actually break it down by three categories micro budget, indie film, market, and studio film. There's no reason to get coverage from a reader that's used to reading tempole movies when your movie is going to be done for one hundred thousand dollars, and we wanted to focus on that. At Bulletproof script coverage, our readers have worked with Marvel Studios, CIA, w MEE, NBC, HBO, Disney, Scott Free, Warner Brothers, The Blacklist, and many many more. So if you need your screenplay or TV script covered by professional readers, head on over to covermiscreenplay dot Com. Enjoy today's episode with guest host Dave Bullets.
Speaker 4: On this week's episode, our guest is the frontman and founder of the rock band Armie Freshman. He's an actor and screenwriter. His comedy film The Bent releases this coming Tuesday, July to twenty sixth, twenty sixteen, and it'll be available on everywhere, be available on Hulu. It'll be available on Google play Store, iTunes Store, Xbox PlayStation, all that good stuff. With guests Chris j Chris, how are you siring?
Speaker 3: Hey? Thank you so much for having me. Dave. I'm very very happy to be here, and I'm gonna correct you right out of the gate. I definitely don't start in this. I don't think anybody would want or need that. But I did throw myself in there because I figured if I never make another movie again. I'll probably kick myself in twenty years if I can't show my kid like there's your old man.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I usually just say star. I mean usually it's I don't know what else, because usually I don't else to saying that.
Speaker 3: I don't know a real loose term. Even when I find myself writing press releases for the film, it's like, wait, who's starring, who's featuring, who's cameo? I mean that shit's kind of out the window these days. I just think, like you said, everybody just says starring in You know, it could be the grounds keeper in the background, and like, yo, he stars in the New Guardians of the Galaxy.
Speaker 4: You know. It's crazy, Yeah, you always cause like for me, I've always sprakally appeared in shows, So I never know what to say. I mean, do you say featured extra? Do you say you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, weirdest featured extra? Say you know what I mean? That this is weird, Like it's I don't know's it's so funny all the terms. But you get all those head shots, man on, I'll tell you when we were casting the movie, you'll get a kick out of this. It was a really interesting experience. But you look on the back of these resumes, Dave and some of these people, you don't know who the person is, you've never heard of them, but they've been on the coolest stuff in the world, Like oh my god, you were on Friends and you were on Seinfeld and blah blah blah blah blah. And then at the bottom there's like a little note that just says featured extra, you know, and it's like, wait a minute, You're like an extra just showing up for lunch, which is badass, you know what I mean. But it's crazy that you put this on your resume, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean honestly, like every every acting thing I've ever done, I have been a featured extra and like always sunny, you know. I was in a again a pre interview we're talking about NFL Films. Was I was in an NFL Films commercial with some side So it's just weird, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you're like me, You're a jack of all trades, not really successful at any of them, but god damn it, you're out there doing something you know exactly, you got it. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: So So, Chris, just to get started, you know, I wanted to ask you know about your background. I mean, obviously you know you're a founder of the rock band Army of Freshman, but I wanted to ask, you know, how did you actually transition into you know, the idea you know, of getting into the film industry.
Speaker 3: Great question, Dave, So basically, super quick background. I am in the band Army of Freshman, and ever since you've been doing this movie, we've been on a bit of a hiatus, but we've been around for like over fifteen years. I was born and raised in New Jersey, close to you up in Media, Pennsylvania, where you're at. And when I was seventeen, I left home and I moved by myself to California to do the rock and roll thing. I mean, there was two things I loved in my life. I mean, I always love music and I always love movies. Quite frankly, nothing else really interests me period. I like wrestling too, in boxing, but that's getting off off topic. But with that said, so I did the music thing. Man in arm Freshman was one of those bands that didn't blow up. We were always opening up for bigger bands, but we'd be like the first band on the bill, Like we'd come and play the Trocadero in Philly or the TLA, right, but we wouldn't be the band on the marquee. We would be the band that you didn't know that played first, right, And it was it was awesome, man. We got to travel around the world, and I mean I put my blood, sweat, tears, heart. I spent my whole twenties and practically early thirties doing Army of freshmen. And right around the time that we were close to finally signing a major label deal in the late two thousands, which in the old music industry was like, you know, that was the goal, right, that was the goal. And dude, downloading cane and it came like a violent, terrible, evil wave and it literally destroyed bands of my size. And we were the middle class bands, if that makes sense, you know, like we weren't the big boys, but we weren't the garage bands. We were just those hard working bands Chris Cross in the United States and Europe in mini bands. You know, it was really honorable and noble and you could make enough to maybe pay the rent and eat, right. But when downloading came and then the what the financial collapse in two thousand and eight, dude, it just all went to hell and you quick, you know, it was really really ugly for the music business. And with that said, we were very close to signing to a major label and the A and R guy that was ready to do the deal. Literally the financial collapse hit. They froze all signings for the year. Right, So I'm like, oh my god, Oh my god, what's going on. Literally thirty days later, I called to check in to see how things are working and see if we could do the deal in January, something I had been working for basically my whole life, right, Dave, And the receptionist says he was fired and there's nobody else to talk theory is the only A and R guy that wanted us. So I kind of went through, I don't want to say a depression, but I really had to take a hard look at my life. And I had always bounced around the idea of writing a screenplay because I'm a writer, like I would pay the bills kind of doing freelance journalism for local newspapers and stuff, Right, So I always wanted to write a film just because I'm in I'm in southern California, right, Dave, like everybody, every waiter's got an idea for a movie, right, and that it would be fun to do, not even necessarily to make. So I got with my partner in the band, Aaron Goldberg, who co wrote the screenplay with me, and I got in touch with a producer friend by the name of Reza Riazzi who had produced one of our videos. And this is kind of like the key link here to the story. Reza kind of guided us along. So we were first time screenwriters, right, but he helped us. He kind of gave us just the you know, just kind of the focus of what we're trying to do and trying to get across, and he kind of guided the screenplay and we worked on it off and on for a while. We didn't sit down for like two weeks, Sylvester Stalone style and cram out Rocky. You know, there was a work in progress here and there. We got to the point where we thought it was pretty good, and Resa thought the same thing, and we made the decision that I spent my whole life doing music, going in front of and our guys, you know, begging to get signed or get this or kissing button giving demo tape that I said, you know what, if we're gonna do this movie, let's just do it right, Like, no matter how much money we get. If we get ten thousand dollars and we've got to turn it into a short film and shoot it in my garage on an iPhone, let's do it. Let's just not have anybody tell us we can't do this. I didn't want to be begging for people to read a screenplay because think of that, Dave, who the hell is going to read a raunchy comedy screenplay first time screenwriters? Oh and they were in a rock band. I mean that just sounds awful, Like I wouldn't want to read that if that was the background and you gave it to me. So I kind of knew going in that we were going to have to do it on our own. And we set out at that point too, let's make this movie. You know, Amresa agreed to produce it, and he had produced some indie films before. So the good news is we had somebody helping us. And that's the key thing. I don't want you to think that we were just two guys from a band that just did all this. We had somebody guiding us, but there was no money. He just hopped on because I think at that point he had given us so much advice. He had taken a little sabbatical because he had a film that really got taken from him and turned upside down, and he kind of moved into stand up and I think this was an opportunity to like, hey, maybe I can get back in the game a little bit, and let's find a young, hungry director. And that's basically the genesis. I know that's a lot of backstory, but I think it's important to know because we didn't come from movies at all. The closest we had to that was I mean I was an extra in one or two movies, a featured extra, right and then also making our music videos. But that was it, man. I mean, we as screenwriters went into this blind. We just had that determination from the indie music world that we weren't gonna we were gonna do it, you know what I mean. We came from a very diy music background, and I think we sort of took those ethics and put it into the film. So that's how we got to the point of, yes, we're making a movie. And there's a long backstory, and I'm sorry for that day.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor. Now back to the show, Chris.
Speaker 4: Everyone always likes to talk, and they talk a little more on my podcast. What I'm trying to say, So please, don't you know? You said you might ramble sometimes it's encouraged on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Well you you cut me off at any time. It's gonna get especially if you and I start talking cheese steaks. I mean it's dumb, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely understand. By the way, speaking of cheese steaks, what is your favorite cheesteak place?
Speaker 3: So I know this is sacrilege. Keep in mind, I didn't come from Philly. I came from Jersey, so I had to drive into the city. But pound for pound, I always like Gyms on South Street.
Speaker 4: Oh, Gym's is great, it's my cycle.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite?
Speaker 4: My favorite place is John's Ros's Pork.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've heard of that place. I've heard of that place. Is it that sensational?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's different than all the other cheesesteak places. Once you have it, you really you understand what a cheese steak is supposed.
Speaker 3: To be well, next time I'm out there, you and I are going there. That's good. Just put it on the calendar.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: It's right by the E C w rinn it too, so we could talk.
Speaker 3: Right there on ya yikes, ships Swanson or Redner, right by swansor Reddin. Oh so you talk wrestling to Dave, I'm impressed.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I could talk all day about professional wrestling. Before I got into film, I used to be a huge pro wrestling buff. Quick little mini, mini background. I don't want to talk too much about myself, but many many background. Out of high school, I went right into in the pro wrestling school. I ended up working with King Kong Bundy and his promotion, and that was a whole that was a whole adventure I could talk about hours about.
Speaker 3: So yeah, now, okay, we're we're getting we're veering far off track, but really quickly we'll circle this all around because obviously there's wrestlers in my movie, so that's like kind of like a connection. But did you ever get to have an indie match? Did you ever get to actually have a pro wrestling match? I had one actual match, and that was really where was it that?
Speaker 4: It was? In I think it was either Springfield or Exton, a Springfielder Drugel Hill I met. It was a twenty man Battle Royal. It was all of the rookies of the school we were at. And that was my one and only professional wrestling match because after that, I just wanted to get out of it because I had to go to college and my love affair of wrestling was really like really burning out. And then basically I still, if that's right, around of time, I ended up helping King Kong Bundy, So I had that match sorted like, and I still had tons of contacts and they were like, oh, I hope you're not going to leave, and I said yeah, I said, you know, I'm not six foot four, I'm five foot nine, you know what I mean. I'm a ginger who's going to cheer a five foot nine ginger?
Speaker 3: Come on, dude, that is too cool. But you got to say you had a professional wrestling match. I mean, like, that's a bucket list thing. I think for a lot of people, myself included, that is awesome. Dude, that is so cool.
Speaker 4: Well thank you. I'll you know, if you ever want to talk about that at any time.
Speaker 3: There's some panetic energy here. We're both from from a Philly, South Jersey area. We both like ches stage, we both like wrestling, we both like movies. I mean this, this could get really awkward, dude. By the end of this podcast, people are going to be like disgusted, like these two guys love affairs, ridiculous moths.
Speaker 4: Well, most people tune me out anyway, so they're probably me too, cool man cool, So you know, just you know, getting back to the bed, you know, so I wanted to ask, you know, Chris, you know, where was the impetus of this idea to actually for the screenplay? Did it Did it come from like a friend of yours, Did it come from an idea or Joe was.
Speaker 3: It was an original idea that I had, And honestly, I think it was kind of inspired by the fact that being on tour in a band, right Dave, I got the opportunity to meet a lot of girls that I had gone to school with over the years. Like maybe you know, you come to town and they live there and they see that you're in town and they come to a show, or you invite them, or we would go play my hometown in Kate May a lot where a lot of people you went to school would still lived. And I was always fascinated to see where these girls that I had crushes on where they ended up. And I don't mean that in a negative way, but just like, man, in the sixth grade, this girl was, you know, the hottest girl in school, or the girl that I just had a crush on, or whatever it may be. And you know what would happen if you met your crush twenty years later? Like where are they? Who are they? And that kind of just kind of bounced around in my head and at one point I don't have her Uretha moment or I remember it. I just always remember when I thought a movie idea is that that was at the top of my list. A guy gets in a bet where he's got to go back and meet every girl that he had a crush on in high school. Because it's essentially just a fantasy that I assume I'd like to have, but the reality is it's not going to be all good. Just because that girl was the cutest girl in sixth grade, she could be like, you know, a white trash drug addict. And I thought, what would be funny about that premise is if the guy had to hook up with the girl, right, no matter what scenario she's in, He's got to bite the bullet and do so. And it just kind of sounded like it would be a good, fun, raunchy, wacky movie, and I just that was the genesis. So I think it was kind of an influenced by having met some of the girls I went to school with and being oh, jeez man, that was my cross. Glad that didn't work out right, But at the same time, I think it lent itself to a good premise and it, you know, just kind of once Aaron came in and started writing it together. You know, that's the fun part about script writing. As much as you set it up, you go down different avenues with the script. The new characters get introduced and things change, and I find that such a fun and fascinating process. How different the project is like because when you think about it at first, because you're a writer, Dave, you know, you see it just like this word for word, and it's got to be like this, and these are the characters and this is a story. But when you start writing that, baby, these characters kind of take a life for their own and even in a silly launchy movie like ours directions, they start moving in different places and you you know, motivations and scenes and that's a fun process. I think it's really when you know, when you're just cooking with gas and you really like where something's going with a script. That's a cool moment. Man, that energy if you can capture it. And I like writing with a partner because I think you can really feed on off people. I think it would be very difficult if I wrote a screenplay by myself, because you don't have that quality control of the other person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, very true. And you know I as I found when writing, you know, sometimes I take it way too seriously and it ends up I try to end up forcing things, you know what I mean. It's like and then you realize you're supposed you gotta into writing because it's fun, right, or you have something to say, or you want to explore something, you know what I mean. And you know that's why you know, when you were discussing the other idea, creation and all these characters, you know, that's what you need. You need to always, you know, be excited to come back to it when you cause you got to write. You know, nobody sits down, just writes out the whole thing and one one foul swoop. You know, you come back and you write it in pieces. You know, you write three pages, five pages, and you when you come back, you always have to have that that excitement and you know what I mean, You have to have that excitement of Okay, I see where it's going, what's going to happen? Now, I'm going to be just as surprised as the audience, you know what I mean. So when you were writing this, Chris, I wanted to ask, you know, did you buy any of those writing books, like You Have a Key Story or Save the cap I Blakesciter. Did you buy any of those books?
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't. You're talking about the actual screenwriting books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't. It was very I mean, and again I think I'm a little spoiled because of the fact that I am a writer, you know, so not that I'm a good writer, but I just had experience in writing. You know, even in writing a five hundred world article about a band, you still have the beginning, in the middle and an end. So I think I understood the process to the point that I didn't. I didn't. It just seemed weird to read a book to tell me how to write a book, if that makes sense, you know, But I definitely grabbed. Uh, you know, once we're getting ready to make the movie, I ordered a book online. It was like the Real Truth about Indie filmmaking, a complete guide from top to bottom, right, that kind of deal, you know, and uh, you'll love this. But you know, the book now, I keep it by the bathroom. It's like the bathroom read dude, the thing was made like five years ago, okay, And as I'm reading it getting ready to make the movie, just looking for pointers, you know, half the information was defunct and the book was only five years old. Like they were talking about like, well this new Netflix saying nobody's really figured it out yet, and you know, they're talking about Lonely Girl fifteen was an internet phenomenon. But how can you? I mean, and I'm like, my god, this is garbage. I mean, things are moving so fast in the world of technology and film that a book, and a definitive book on the subject in two thousand and twelve is now literally archaic. And that's that's wild to me. So it's almost like what the hell do you read unless you read the most recent stuff on the internet. I don't know if anything could really help, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I have tons of I mean, I know there's a podcast you can't see, but to my left's tons and tons and tons of how to filmmaking books. I mean virtually, I have every indie filmmaking book, screenwriting book, producing book you can get, and some of them are just like that, They're just completely Hey, you know, go grab your friends, grab a mini dvcam, you know, shoot some stuff in your backyard, and you know you can send it to festivals. Well, now I don't have to do any of that. I could use my phone. I don't need a DV tape. I could you know, an edit and I movie or edit and Windows movie maker or Premiere, whatever one I wants to, I can just put it right to YouTube. Wild huh.
Speaker 3: I mean the same happened with music in terms of how quick you can go, Like you and I right now can make the decision to start our duo. Right, we could write a song not in person, dude, we could write a song over freaking FaceTime together. Right, we could record the conceivably record the song and release it and have a website up, you know, with a social media account before before the sun goes down, and I mean I'm allowed to curse, right, Oh, So that's fucked up, dude. That's process. Isn't supposed to be like that, Like where's the growth, where's the learning? And I think the same thing has happened to film, where it's certainly a much more complicated process than writing a song, of course, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Right, we'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: But everything that you just said you can still kind of do, and that's awesome, but it's also that double edged sort of it's really flooding the market and putting a lot of crap out there too. You know, people are they just release everything instead of like, you know, where's the days of kind of just making movies in your backyard and nobody sees them but your parents, and then you slowly grow and get better at it. Now kids are making their very first thing and throwing it up on YouTube hoping they get like a viral thing. I don't know, it's just it just seems it's like it's a hard time for the cream to you know, was it the Crean Rise at the Top or whatever the saying is. I just it's just really muddy. Man. Technology has made things so awesome. We could never make the movie that we made without it. But at the same time, I am also aware that there's a lot of films maybe some people would think are film that are being made and it's almost, you know, blocking the path for other movies. It's a weird time, man. I feel like we're just living in a very strange age, you know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely we are. And it's funny because there's a there was a short film called Panic Attack and it actually I forget the guy who made it, but Hollywood found it and they actually gave him the job of directing the remake of Evil Dead just because of that.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So it's almost like, now you know, this whole avenue of of YouTube and podcasting and self publishing. It's like they're bypassing not just one gatekeeper, but like twenty five because now you're almost like your own agent manager because now you can say, oh, no, I don't want to sell these book rights, or I don't want to sell your rights. I want to sell this. I mean, but you're right there are a lot more players out there now, but you know, I think that as long as you have something that is that can stand above anybody else. I had Paul Patido on here and he and I were talking about the exact same thing, because he was always saying, you know, he tells his film students, you know, you have to make something, and they're saying, well, there's like ten chillion things on on YouTube right now, and he says, you have you know, how do you stand out? How do you get on the front page of iTunes? How do you get on the front page of Netflix? You know what I mean? And it's just all and it just it really depends upon what's hot, your concept, how polished it is. I mean, you have a lot of different factors. Now maybe it's the same factors always have been there, but they're always but you know, they're always have to sort of work out, like in your favor. Like we were talking earlier in the pre interview. Maybe you know, some guy, some somebody, some guy wakes up, has a great morning and all of a sudden, your TV polic gets made, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that's ah man, It's it's a depressing thought. But it's just I mean, yeah, I certainly don't want to go down the negative road for lack of the better word, but I think it's a terrifying prospect. I mean I used to and I keep falling back the music, but that's just who I am. And I think what's happening to the film world happened to the indie to the music world about ten years ago. Right. Yes. I used to tell kids, dude, just get in the van, man, just do it, dude, just go for it, just do it. You know, good bad, learn, go do it, dedicate some time. And now I don't say that. And it really freaks me out that if a kid comes to me and says, we just started a band, what do we do? I don't tell him to hop in a van. Where are they gonna go, where are they gonna play? Who's gonna give a shit? You know? And I wonder in some ways, if it's that similar to the film world, you know, like if a kid right out of the gate wants to do it, I mean it's probably not you know, I don't want to say going for the big time the brass ring, but it's probably much more honing your craft on web series and smaller things instead of jumping right into it, you know, guns blazing, you know. I just it's strange, man, you know. And I come from such a different perspective because I didn't have that educated film background that somebody like yourself does. So I think some of the reason we got this made was sheer tenacity and dumb luck and a lack of education, because I think if we knew what we were getting into and how much time it would be and how expensive it would be, we probably wouldn't have done it, you know. And that's kind of that. Sometimes being naive can lead to good things if you're willing to put the work in. You know, a lot of people I think, too Mercy see hon Us Dave, they were just like, you're doing what, Like you can't do that? Oh god, okay, well let me help you. Good luck, good luck falling on your face on this one, good luck making a feature film, come on, you know. And somehow we pulled it off. But we surrounded ourselves with good people to help pull it off. But I mean, man, people heard our budget. When people here were we wanted to shoot it in Ventura and not Los Angeles, they were looking at us like we were lunatics, dude. I mean, like, you know, the cool thing is we proved a lot of people wrong. We got it done, but it was a painful, long process. It was not smooth sailing.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, yeah, definitely it definitely. Uh, I understand complete where we're coming from. And you know, just to sort of as we're talking about writing the becks, I do want to talk about actually making a movie. But you know, as we're talking about you're writing the bet, did you guys actually did you use Final draft or fade in to write the movie? Did you use any software?
Speaker 3: You check this out? We were so naive. Aaron did the typing, I did the talking. We didn't really know about Final Draft. We had heard of it. We were kind of aware what it was, and I'm sure you're listeners will be like, are you kidding me? We were literally indenting every time a new character talked. Like the first draft or two drafts that we did. We turned it into you know, Reza who was kind of helping us and giving us some guidance, who ended up producing the film, and he was like, man, he was like, there's something wrong with your final draft and we're like, what do you mean, he was like, don't tell me you type this, and we're like yeah, he was like, oh my god, you know what I mean. He was like, dude, he was like that's remarkable. He was like, how long did this take? And we're like, what would take hours? You know, we'd write it and then spend another couple hours like indenting, indenting in denting, centering, you know, bracketing. I mean, it was trial by fire man. If you can believe that we did get final draft, then it was like, oh no, you know, like it just changed everything. But you like, literally that's how backwards were. It was like Mick foley Wright in his biography on pen and paper. You know, it's like there's something kind of cool about that, but I can't believe we did it. I'd love to get those hours of my life back.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I know exactly what you mean. You know. I know, like James Patterson and Quinn Tarantino they still use like pad and pen. I still do it too sometimes, But now, you know what the biggest con of that is, Chris, is the fact that now you're ending up with like notepads and like, seriously, I have like stacks of notebooks. That I've been writing in and I'm always sitting there going you know, someday I'm gonna have to scan these things. Ye yeah, and just and just do away with it, because every note has changed my life. Because that's where I just if I have an idea, pulled my phone and go okay, hold on, let me just write this down real quick. Okay, so you know what I mean, I just type like that and then I'll come back later on and put you know, pull it all up and then go, okay, now I'll get into a final draft or fade in and wherever I'm using.
Speaker 3: But do you wonder sometimes I mean not to get on a bigger sort of like a deeper meaning, but you know, do programs like that have they have they cheapened things a little bit? I mean, like all the greats back in the day, they didn't have final draft, right. I mean, like you know, when a guy like Mankowitz was banging out Citizen Kane, he didn't have somebody indenting things for him. I mean, these guys are on pipewriters, man, and then they bang scripts out. I mean you just kind of wonder as much as it's made things easier, like has that affected worth work ethic in a lot of ways?
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, you know that that's a good question. I I I want to say that. I hope it has just made it so they can concentrate, like guys like us can just concentrate on the craft more without having to worry about stuff like you know what I mean, like getting you know, getting uh, you know, bogged down with that. I mean, technology in of itself is supposed to make things easier, like in the pre interview we're talking about if when technology works, it's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: But uh, you know that is a good question.
Speaker 4: I mean, uh, personally, I could never go back down to using anything else, so it's fine. Yeah, So I mean like it's if I ever had to go back, I would I would probably I don't know, take aheader off the room.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, I understood undertood you wouldn't be alone, just be a red screenwriters. You'd probably live because you'd land on their corpses or something. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. Without because like some James Patterson, what he does is he writes all long hand, he gives it all to a secretary she put like types it all up and then gives it back to him and he has a process and it's triple spaced, and that.
Speaker 3: He can like if you have a secretary, you know, oh yeah, like supple buzz aren't lucky enough to afford these type of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, that's what That's where I was, uh was saying, was you know, he does have a secretary. I mean, that's why I think he can get away with it. And Tarantino, I don't know what he does. Maybe he has a secretary at some point.
Speaker 3: I imagine he's got a few at this point.
Speaker 4: So all right, so you know, you you have written the bet, so I just want to take us through this process of you know, you have the idea, you wrote the bet, you've actually got final drafts who were able to actually uh correctly format it. So where was the point where you started pitching to people? You know, did I and did you? Did you pitch to investors? Did you try to crowdfund this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean it's an important part of the story, and I think that's what people everybody's interested in that, right, where the hell you find the money? So whathen we decided to do it? Okay, what we did? I'm giving you the step by step, we came up with three budgets. We didn't do one of these things where it has to be this amount of money.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: We came up with our bare bone, super backyard indie budget. Right, we came up with, you know, our ideal budget, and we came up with something in the middle. And when I say ideal, we weren't asking for sick money, you know what I mean. We were saying, like ideal for a micro budget movie. Okay. So we had these three different budgets and basically we said, let's initially go to some friends and family, like you know, and again we're not talking about all our you know, broke music buddies. You know. We went the mom and dad, you know, aunts and uncles, Aaron and I you know, literally pitched them personally. A couple people came in with just a little bit of money. We found a couple thousand dollars to be completely blunt. And what we did, Dave, is we used that as seed money to try and find bigger money. And what I mean is, if you're trying to let's say take me or you need to fly somewhere or whatever it.
Speaker 2: Is, we'll be right back after a word. From our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: You need a little bit of money to do that. You know, a guy like me that works a part time job and is normally always dead broke. I don't have a budget to go if I get a meeting in New York, hop on a plane and fly out there. And then, let's face it, if you're meeting somebody, you probably want to pay for the dinner, right, if you're actually trying to get them to invest in your freaking film. So what we use that couple thousand dollars for was seed money, and I mean that what we did is we printed pitch packs. We you know, put a little budget for travel, we put a little budget for food, and we sort of use that for a money to try and find more money, if that does that make sense. So we didn't take the first five grand and like, hey, here's our first five grand for the movie. We took it as almost our money. And I had to give ourselves a couple of bucks not to lie to you, so we could take a little time off work and actively take two months right and look for money. So that's what we did, and I think maybe that's a little different than most people you know, because I think some people put the money away in the budget for the film, but then how do they you know, how do they fly out to get that meeting? How do they do this or that? And I think talking to somebody in person is infinitely always better when you're talking about finances. You know, you can look them in the eye, they can see your passion. It's it's it's real, it's tangible. You're dealing with the human being, you know. And this is what happened. This is how we got our executive producers. First off, luck is a huge part of it. But obviously being an army of freshmen, right, we had, you know, a lot of connections in the music world. We were I was friends with and very kind of casual friends obviously now grown to be very close friends, but casual friends with to if you can believe this, theater producers in the United Kingdom. Fat When I say theater, I mean theater, you know, like musicals, like shows, right, And I know that they have been friends with some other bands that I that I was friends with, and I knew that they were visiting the United States, and uh, you know, they kind of told me once say, if you ever have some projects going on. Just keep us posted, you know, that kind of thing. But basically, I knew these were people that were open to the arts, if that makes sense, because they came from a theatrical background. So I reached out to them because I knew they're going to be in the United States. I said, hey, I'd have this project i'd love to tell you about. They said, hey, come on out. And this is completely true. And this is where I talk about the seed money. They were going to be in Disneyland, and I live in California, so they were going to be in the you know, Disney, the Disney in Florida, right, So we took We took the last money and the pot right, bought a plane ticket, bought a cheap motel six, got the cheapest rental possible, okay, and I flew out by myself because we couldn't afford to bring Rezer Aaron with me, that's a co writer and the producer. And I met them at Disneyland, and I sat down over lunch at Disney, right, and I told them what we were doing, and I told them what we were trying to do, and I told them we were looking for you know, executive producers and investor for the project. And I gave them, you know, two budgets. You know, I gave them the the not the ghetto backyard budget, but I gave them our moderate and I gave them our ideal. And again when I say ideal, it wasn't like, hey, millions more. I'm talking like, hey, another twenty thousand dollars or something, right, And they said, okay, well think about it. Thanks, she's talking to us, blah blah blah. And then about two weeks later, I got an email saying that they're in. They were down to be the lead investor, you know, as long as we could find a couple other smaller investors to you know, do it. And that was that we were off and run. And literally that is the story of how we got our executive producers for the project. And I have to say this because you just got to plug the people to help you. Right. Their names are Craig Beach and Teresa Beach, theatrical producers over in the United Kingdom, and they were so awesome. Literally, I tell other people about our executive producers and they're like, they start crying because they can't believe it because usually the executive producers are, Hell, when's it getting released? When are we getting our money? What's going on? How come it's taken so long?
Speaker 4: Dave?
Speaker 3: We were doing a lot of first time stuff and you know, we're new to it. Like I mean, a regular investor probably would have, I mean probably would have taken legal action against us because things were taken so long. But we had such a limited budget. We had to go really slow to make things right. And we were a small team, so we were very lucky that way. But what I would have to say about that, if somebody's looking for advice and man, how do I get my project filmed? Find a couple dollars and almost use that as as I say, seed money, but use it as the money that you're going to use to try and find the investors, if that makes sense at all. Almost like find a little bit of money just to be able to give yourself a month or two months to send emails all day and make phone call day and connect dots like these are dots. I wasn't in film where I just called up a film producer and they said, I want to back your movie, right. I was in music and I knew somebody in music that had been involved in some musicals in the UK, so I knew they were involved in theatrical projects, right. I has a bit of a relationship with them, So it was outside the box. And I think in this day and age, that's the only way to find money for film unless you're one of the big daddies. And I may be wrong, but unless you're a big daddy, or unless your parents are filthy rich, which mine certainly are not, you have to think outside the box. You have to look in different places. So this small, tiny, micro budget, raunchy indie comedy essentially was made and executive produced by to theatrical producers in another country. So I know that's a bit of a long story, but I just want to stress that if someone's looking for money, you've got to look in places where maybe people haven't looked before. Theater people help make a movie as opposed to movie people that are bitter, right, and they've gone down that road, and they know how difficult it is for any film. Theater people actually found it more fascinating then then then actual film producers who we met with that just rolled their eyes and said, good luck.
Speaker 4: You know, that's an interesting strategy. Chris, you know, and you know, I always am fascinated with how you know, people have gotten their movie made. And you know that is an excellent point because you know, you're right, you want to I mean checking out theater people and you know what I mean, like they're not this is this is new to them too, you know what I mean, this is this is still cool to them. And if you do get some film people, there's a lot of bitter, burned out people in the film industry and they just sort of go, oh, another film, blah blah blah. And and that's why I try to be the difference to that. You know, I'm always trying. I always try to stay upbeat and positive. And you know, and it's the same thing too, you know, for you know, everyone listening. If you're gonna make a production staff or whatever crew you have, make sure that they all believe in the project and that no one is negative or bitter, because that attitude spreads like a virus.
Speaker 3: It's death. It's death, it's absolute death on set, it's death in pre production. Just because somebody's Coop and Jess, because somebody has great gear, just because somebody has good hookups or a good resume. I'm telling you, man, don't fucking work with him. If you were Indy find people that are hungry and young and they want to kill for it, like you, it's just not worth it. I mean, I'd rather shoot on a lesser camera and have a DP that's thrilled to be there, you know. I'd rather have somebody that maybe's not on a TV show and I found him in a theater program, but they're believing in that character. They're becoming that character, because dude, that jadedness is terrifying. And the great thing that we did one of the key things to get this thing done because I'm Tony. We didn't have enough money to do it, Dave, we didn't have enough time to do it. We didn't have enough people to do it. But we got people that were stoked. We got our director. Our producer knew a guy that was doing a web series. Right, didn't go to film school. Director by the name of Ryan Ederer. Right, had never done a feature, had never done a TV show. We literally had just done a web series, right, and our producer, when he was looking for the director for this, went to see him work on a web series. He had mutual friends and he said the director was holding the boom mic and shouting instructions right, and also running to get coffee for everybody. And he said, that's when he knew this could be our guy, right, because he was so passionate right over a little web series that most likely no one's going to see. How passionate would he be if he got to do a very very small feature. So we met with him at a Denny's. Right. You know, he actually reminds me of you, to be quite frank, you know, because just because he's positive like that. And he just said, guys, if you let me direct this movie, all I want to do is direct a feature. He said, I will quit my job. I'm a waiter in LA I will quit my job for pre production and for the filming, and for at least a solid month after done. I will live on nothing, you know. I mean, we gave him peanut s day pen. Everybody worked for so cheap on this, but I think it was we found the good people. But I also think they believed in my passion, in Aaron's passion and ress passion. I mean when I hunted down some of the casts, which are some really super crazy cool stories, but dude, I was coming to them with nothing, but I was coming to them with passion, you know what I mean, Like please, you know, you know, just like, let's get behind this if that makes sense and it appeals to a certain type of person. Not everybody, dude, some people blew me right off, right, but you'd be surprised some of the cool little people you can pull because they're just good people. At the end of the day, it's getting to them. It's getting to them. It's all connections, and it's all how do you get to that person? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, very very true. And when you said you're here, reminded me. He reminded me of a He reminded you of me. I was gonna say, what is he a five foot nine like, but but he's the.
Speaker 3: Five foot nine from five foot nine kid from Chicago.
Speaker 4: Aha.
Speaker 2: Will be back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah, I always like to uh I always wanted to ask, but uh no, But all kidding aside, though, you know, I agree completely man, you know, just going back to that, you know, having that passionate people man on set and avoiding all that negativity because it is it not only is a virus, it drains everyone's energy, and it also causes a lot more conflict with each other. And and you know, because I've been on those sets, Chris, you know where all of a sudden, someone comes in and they're like, oh, this is okay, We'll get someone to be here. And then then you have people who were just flat out like, oh, I don't you know, I don't want to be here anyway. This thing's gonna suck. Let me tell you about mine. Let me I have a real quick story. I was on a film set one time, and this is years ago, when I was just goofing now making a student film, and I had this guy come on and all he did all this he was he's my director of cinematography, and he came recommended by this other guy I know, and all he did was tell everybody about his latest project. He could you could not stop him from talking about it between takes. All he did he's like, you know what this reminds me of mind my movieah blah blah blah. Like Jesus Christ, you know, I got it, dude, You're making a zombie film. Congratula, congratulations. You know there's twenty five coultrillion of them. You know, you know you can add here.
Speaker 3: We still him on other projects, and instead of working on that project, all they do is talk about their project. We had somebody like that show up and I won't get into any details beyond that, but it was just like, dude, you know, it's kind of like he was kind of driving the director nuts because he kept talking about the project that he was working on. It's like, hey man, you know, like that's awesome, dude, stoked to help you. But we're fucking you know, we got a day left of filming here. We you know, we are making the tiniest movie of all time. Like we don't have time for this, Like we just stay on board here, man, call next week and we'll talk about the zombie movie.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, yeah exactly, you know. And it's like if they had play their cards right, they could have had an ally instead of just you know, boring everyone to death, just going hey man, by the way, my own movie, like we got it. Yeah, you know, we got every you know ever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So when you're on set, you know, do the job that you do, try and make connections. But but but work hard on the job you do, because that's what'll really come through, especially in the indie setting. And I'm telling you, Deve, there's so many good things aligned up with this cast and the people involved. But you know, we didn't get a lot of strangers. Reza was like, Hey, I want to work with this DP. I know, you know, I got one or two stand ups that would be great for these roles. Let's try them first. I got an actor buddy that was in this other indie. I did try him, and lo and behold. I look at the cast. There's a handfield of people that we got from open casting. And we had huge open casting. We brought tons of people in, but I'd say seventy five percent of that cast is a direct connection in one way or another. It's probably only a handful of people that we walk in and didn't know and they just kick so much, but we put them in. And I think a lot of people like to work with who they know. But there's a reality to that. So it's good to make a lot of friendships and connections because you got a better chance of getting thrown into a film as an actor if you're a waiter with the director who just got this small indie then just going to an open casting call. I almost wonder if it's even possible to do that anymore, to even get in a movie, just as a dude who walked in a room. Hi, you don't know me. I'm here to show you how awesome I am. Because in the back of the head they're sitting there and they got their buddy or their nephew, or their uncle, or their neighbor or you know, it's very incestuous, and our movie was no exception to that. But you trust those people. They didn't screw us. You know, we had strange We have one lady take us to SAG because we canceled her because we had to cut the roll because we couldn't fill in the scene. Dave, it was one hundred and fifty dollars a roll, and she contacted SAG and said I need to be paid because they canceled on the day of. She hadn't even left her house yet. Dude, you know what I mean. So will we ever work with her again? Hell no, If we ever hear about her again, we'll be like, dude, that fill in the blank literally cost us one hundred and fifty dollars when we had nothing in the bank because a role got cut. She wasn't in a car, she wasn't on set, literally, she was just waking up. And I said, I'm so, so so sorry, But that just gives you an example of that type of attitude can be deadly, you know. So I'm glad she wasn't in it, because if somebody would do that to a small, tiny, little movie to get you one hundred and fifty bucks, like, how would you have been on set? You know? I just I just don't think you can be positive enough, even if you're not a positive person learned to be, because I don't think this is the business for you if you're not ready to really just be nothing but good energy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I concur you know. And the funny thing is, when last time I casted for a film I was shooting in, we did it the right way. We had We had it at a studio. We had you know, we had a we had two rooms, we had everything so and we had a great audition room that was on an elevated stage. And I had a rule, Nope, we I am going to cast everybody that I don't know people got you know that I knew got to go up there, and I gave everyone a shot who I think even had a remote shot, and we whole day and I actually ended up casting everybody who I did no completely, I had no friends, no family, nothing. Everybody was somebody I didn't know I was meaning for the first time. Though, all those people proved out to be right. Uh, they were all great, great people except for I. Actually, let me let me amend what I just said. There's one person I hired based upon the producer who wanted him, and I said, okay, I said, I will, I will tell I will take a chanceless person. That person ended up.
Speaker 3: Being the problem.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, And and that was because I knew and I said, this is why I wanted all fresh faces. But by the way, and it's funny you mentioned about SAG because uh, this person kept you know, as I didn't even I announced casting and then I didn't even bother like you know what I mean, Like my producers were on Facebook all the time, and I I and you know at that point, I you know, I have an on and off relationship with Facebook. But anyways, who doesn't, Oh my god, the drama on Facebook? Like who needs this ship? Honestly?
Speaker 3: With the whole promoted post ship Like, isn't the whole premise of basebo is if somebody likes you, when they click like that, they get to know about what you're doing, and now you have to pay them to let them know what you're doing. It's like ridiculous, dude. It's like, you have like ten thousand followers and your post reached five people, Like, well, what about the nine thousand, five hundred and ninety nine five people that want to know what I'm doing? And now I have to pay you to do it. I almost feel like they invented that, they made it awesome, and then once they had the whole world on it, they decided to start getting fucking paid and screw you. The whole purpose of this is out the window. So then I mean Facebook to me is I want it to go the way of my Space. Let it burn.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like the mafia, man, Anything you want done on Facebook, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Pay for it. Absolutely totally Facebook the Mafia of social media.
Speaker 4: But I was just gonna just to finish that thought. This guy said, you know, hey, I would like to like to try out and I like to, you know, for a role, And already I've been warned about this guy, real creepy dude, real sleezebag. Well, one of my producers says, listen, you know we'll be casting soon enough, or we're crowdfunding right now. He took us to SAG and said that we were trying to make him pay to audition. Oh my god, and SAG thankfully sided with us, and they said, no, they did not say that. Blah blah blah. I told my producer, I said, don't even talk to him. I said, I told you about this guy. And then I mean that caused the problem between us, and I mean all because of this this really wormy guy.
Speaker 3: That's bizarre. It's like there's people just like I always fear, there's a lot of people in this world that I would like to fucking tell the fuck off, right, But I don't because I just feel that you burn bridges. You never know what's going to occur, especially in a business like this. Why would you ever even somebody's a dick, Okay, they're a jerk. You're my homeboy, Dave. I call you on this line, say, Dave, do not work with Chuck schmacateello. He's terrible, right, But why tell chuck that he's a terrible person. I even in life, I don't do that when I meet somebody that don't like It's like, what's the point, dude, Like why throw that negative energy out there? I mean it's just but I just think people that do that in this business, what are they fools? They don't think people talk. I mean, it's just insanity. You know.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, the one time on Facebook that you know, the Philly film scene. As we were talking the pre interview, this guy gets on his Facebook tags a local producer and says and says, Oh, this guy's a piece of shit, fuck him, blah blah blah. And I'm sitting there and I'm thinking this has to be a joke. I said that, because there's no way this guy is serious. They start going back and forth all over Facebook and the one and the guy chimes back with, well, it's not a good idea to make enemies with a producer.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah.
Speaker 4: And they're going back and this guy because the other guy was an actor. They're going back and forth. Other people are getting brought in, and I go, all these people have just entered my blacklist, because I mean, I would never want anything of this to happen, and.
Speaker 3: The crazy dude like, why, It's just there's a lot of weird stuff out there, so obviously and I were jumping all over the place. But the whole point of that, to go back to the bet. The movie that we made is man, we eliminated that, Dave. I mean, it was awesome. If you would to go on this set, you literally would be treated with so much kindness and respect. And check this out. When we were doing auditions, I would ask people that I was interested at the end when they got up. I literally, even the girl who plays our lead actress, who's gone on to do some really cool stuff. I said, because I loved her. I thought she was great, And I was just like, I have one last question, like are you a nice person? And she was stunned and she was just like, uh, what do you mean, Like I don't know, just like we're new to this, and you know, we're scared of like the whole actress Hollywood reputation, Like we just want nice, normal people, Like are you friendly like in real life? And she started laughing and she's like, yeah, yeah, I'm friendly in real life. But she was so stunned to hear that question, but it came from a very honest place, you know, like are you being real right now? Or are you being nice because you want to get cast in this Like if we're having lunch, can we talk to each other? Are you going to be.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be here. I just did it. Get everything on my reel. I got something better. Now I need to go be a hot chick on the set of you know, the thirty Rock I'd be bad example, but you know what I mean. Like it was, I was so obsessed with making sure that people were nice. I wanted them talented too. There's a couple of people we passed on. I think that could have maybe even helped the movie because they had a bit of a name because I met him and I was like, I got a bad feeling, man, I got a bad feeling, like they're not going to take this seriously. They wanted being bigger shit. I'd like those people that are kind of bubbling, that are really hungry and want to do good work. Because there was a lot of like with the dads, we cast two professional wrestlers. We cast a Diamond, Dallas Page and Jake the Snake Roberts, which is a wild story. But we had a couple of leads on some dads or more like character actors and I won't say any names, but dudes that you and I know, But there were these B movie dudes, dave, these dudes that like, yo, you give them five grand a day, right, and they'll come and they'll barely know the lines, but you can say, you've got the dude from this TV show in it, or the guy that was in this movie, you know, and they just make a living popping around these B movies. I even hear one guy wore an earpiece and I'm like, what, that guy's not even that big. But they're like, he wears an ear piece and you feed him his lines, but hey, you can give him five grand and then you can say so and so is the dad in your little tiny movie. And I just thought that was so horrifying and kind of sad too, but it's a reality, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, I just I was just thinking right now, a guy on set with an ear piece and someone some pa feedingum line, like and what does he say?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, okay, mister so and so say this one sad. You know, I miss you son, you know, and he's just like, I miss you. I mean imagine editing around that. I mean imagine making sure the dude's hair covers the ear piece. And that's a reality that a filmmaker would do, because hey, at least he's got some type of name. So on the stupid cover, we can put featuring the dude from I'm trying to think of a TV show, you know what I mean, but featuring the dude from uh, you know, you see them Davy, You know, I don't have to do das. You see those guys that just they're like, why are they in so many B movies where they just take the five grand a day and that's that, and then people cram their scenes in one day because they can't afford him for two days. You know, it's crazy, man.
Speaker 4: You know my favorite dad who's actually starting B movies was is Michael Gross from Family Ties where he's he's in tremors And I actually know somebody who's worked with him and he says, no, Michael's not like that at all. Michael actually shows up, he still works hard. He's the nicest guy, and I said.
Speaker 3: I hasn't done more. I actually thought he was a really good actor. Like, is he still around?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's still around. He just released Tremors five with him and Jimmy Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, dude, great name great. That's a hell of a poll right there. Dude, that's that's somebody that's just seems like a good actor. I bet he's a good dude. You know. That's when that's an interesting one. You forget about people like that. There's so many of them floating around out there. It's it's got to be brutal, dude, I mean, to be an actor, just got it be caugh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. And you know, I have friends who're actors and we're always going back and forth about you know, auditioning and casting and stuff like this. And you know, because you know, you know how it is, Chris, Because some people know, hey, Dave, you know, what's this director like I'm going to work with? And I say, you know, he's you know, he's pretty no nonsense, and you know, blah blah blah. This one's you know, real, you know, fast and loose, just wants to have fun. So you know what I mean, It's just stuff like that, you know, and and it's most and I would never recommend anybody like we were just talking about, I would never recommend anybody who I wasn't one hundred percent confident in, you know what I mean, And I mean that that really is critical, you know. And I would, by the way, I would love to work with Michael Gross someday. I think I've not only heard good things about him, but I heard you know, I still I love everything he's in, all the Tremors movies. He makes those Tremors movies.
Speaker 3: And plus, if he ever writes an autobiography, he already has the greatest title ever, just a Gross Life. And it's just in on the front looking sad, you know, just covered in blood of a tremor, of a gravel totally.
Speaker 4: So, you know, Chris, as we know, as we're talking about the bet, I wanted to ask, and I always ask this to to any filmmakers, what was the biggest challenge, Whether it was a day, whether it was a specific incident, you know, what was the you know, the biggest obstacle you had to overcome while you were making this thing.
Speaker 3: During during filming or during the whole process. During filming, Okay, during filming, okay, because we filmed over thirteen days. You know, we shot in thirteen days, all in the city of Ventura. The most difficult thing was during filming. The most difficult thing was the wearing of the different hats because we were so small that Aaron and I were the set dressers, right, Aaron and I were the the wardrobe dudes. Aaron and I were the prop guys. Aaron and I were the go get the catering guys. And Aaron and I were also the Oh geez, we were, I mean we were we were so much. We were so much and it was too many hats. The less that I learned, hopefully, when we make our next one. Oh actually, I just talk positive. When we make our next one next year, right, The key thing I think would be is you just can't have enough of those assistants. Not people to beat up or bully or make you go get coffee, you know what I mean, but just somebody there with you, like, hey, like this is kind of my guy, you know what I mean, Like, you know, hey, I'm just gonna make this up. But Steve, Steve, you're with me, Ryan, You're with Aaron. Yo, We'll treat you great, nothing but love. But we just need it. Sec a set of hands that you're always with me, almost like give me two extra arms. You know. We're gonna be doing some fun stuff, you know. But we just bid off more than we could choose, so it was hard to focus on that. And then I was also picking up wrestlers at airports, and we also had other people helping with this, Dave, I don't want you to think it was just four people making this movie, right, but we just thought we could do more. I wanted to be on set more, dude, you know, and to be sitting there watching it. And you know, as the writer and co producer, I wanted to be watching the actual movie get made. And I spent fifty percent of that movie not on set but setting up the set or picking people up or picking up food because we were so small, you know. So I guess I guess the most difficult thing was wearing too many hats. You got to find a way to find more people to help with the hats, but you have to trust them, and I really and don't trust many people. I had a vision of how every room should look. I had a vision of I knew the relationships with the restaurants that were doing the catering, So how can I send somebody when I need to be the one that goes in there, And it's Chris's face that they know, and that's why they're giving them a bunch of tacos. So it was just that, you know, I think you can wear too many hats, and sometimes that can probably be the death of small movies. But again, we had a lot of good people around us, so that, to me, was the most difficult thing. I should have trimmed a couple things off the list that I was responsible for, but we wanted to take that money, Dave and put it in other places. And I think that's why our movie Hopefully, when you see it, hopefully you'll like it and find it funny, but I think you'll see man for the budget, damn, these guys did a good job of making this stuff look legit, you know, And I think that's because we put money. We saved money in certain places where other places would get trailers right, or other places would hire a catering company, or where other places would pay for food, or other places would hire a set dresser. We did all of that, you know, and that really I think made things difficult but made us to make a movie that's better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that is something I always talk about with filmmakers, is there's a tendency to read something like Robert Riguez's film with a filmmaker without a crew, or even like the The Rebels Guide by Stu Makowitz, and it's almost like, and I've done this to myself, it's almost as if we're trying to be a one man crew and it ends up hurting you more than helping you. And I completely understand Chris when you're talking about putting that money elsewhere. That's what I've always thought of, too, is you know, why should I have? You know, I can be the camera operator and the cinematographer and the boom mic operator, and I'll edit this thing and you know what I mean, and I'll be the colorists. Well I'll do Follward just.
Speaker 3: Speak because you can, should you? That's the question exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So that's why when I when I make movies from now on, I always just want to be the writer, the director, and the producer. And even that's a lot. Even yeah, that's a lot, dude, that's a lot.
Speaker 3: I think the writer is the easiest one of the bunch because your work's kind of done, Like, what are you going to do on set? Maybe catch a line that you want done a little different. It's you know what I'm saying, like, I think you can handle being like but it sounds like, yeah, I'm not certain. I'm not going to tell you how to do it. But you're right. I mean, you just wear so many hats because you can. But then again, at the end, the hardest part, the hardest part of the whole movie, forget the filming, filming was awesome, is post production. We were not prepared, We were not ready. We ran out of money. Tech issue after tech issue after tech issue after tech issue. To the point of the film is out upon release of this podcast right came out today, I believe. So the film can be seen blah blah blah. But I'm talking to you a couple of days before we release it, right, let's be honest. So our premiere is in Los Angeles in forty eight hours, and we just just got the Blu ray completed to show it. Because the poor producer and director has spent the past ten days doing program after program after recording after program to burn a freaking blue ray. I mean, like that's what we're talking about, and it's tech tech tech tech tech has been a complete nightmare for something like this because we haven't had the money to have a real proper post production team, and it really made things take a long time and was really was brutal. Man. So I would say tech is the hardest part of it, which is funny because it's the first thing you and I said when we got on the phone in the pre interview.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, absolutely, and you know, I'm so glad though that everything has worked out, honestly, man, because I honestly, Chris, because I hear so many you know, independent films. You know, they have a budget, whatever that budget might be, and they get to like seventy five percent done, eighty percent done, and all of a sudden they have to stop for whatever reason. You know what I mean. There is so many movies in the philadelph especially in the Philadelphy area where you know where I am.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 4: Where I've you know, I've been a part of films like that where I've been an actor for him or I've helped that and crew or something, and all of a sudden, you know, they're like, oh yeah, that movie's on some guy's hard drive and we're probably never going.
Speaker 3: To finish it. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah totally. And how sad is that? Is there anything more sad in the world than that? Man? I mean, like you know that heart and soul and blood, sweat and tears and it's just gone, like oh man, I mean, I'd be devastated, dude. We were devastated how long post production was taking. And at one point I had I was never going to give into the vision, but there was a vision of is this going to be one of these things? You know what I'm saying, like, is this going to be one of these things that can't get done because we ran out of money? That was a real tough time, you know, I mean post production look a long time, and uh man, it's depressing. It's kind of scary, like, oh my god, Like you know, what are the investors going I mean, I'm being honest with you because it's a filmmaking podcast, right, but like, what are the investors going to do if if we can't pull this off? What happens to the footage. What happens to our reputations. I mean, like, so we just stayed in the pocket. But I mean the amount of work. My god, Dave, if you could have told me ahead at the time, I would have done it, of course, But geez, what I questioned my sanity, you know, because I mean, I've basically remained in poverty just to get this thing done, because I can only work part time because I need to spend the rest of the time working on the movie. Man. I mean, it's god, is it a labor of love. I just have such a deep respect for people that make movies. Now, I will never shit on a movie. I may not like it, but an indie film, I'll shit on the studio ones all day, you know. But I will never shit on an indie film again. And when I say Indy, let's talk about real indies, dude, I'm not talking about a million dollar indie with Daniel Radcliffe being a guy who farts as a corpse. I'm talking about like, you know, I'm talking about like, hey, you made a movie for one hundred thousand dollars. You made a movie for one hundred and fifty, You made a move for seventy five. Basically, you pull off a movie for under one hundred and fifty thousand dollars and you have my respect forever, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree completely. And by the way, Swith's Army Man. Somebody told me the premise of that movie and I thought they were joking around. And then and then I saw a trailer and I was like, oh okay, I said, you know, Chris, I've seen so many weird movies over the years. At this point, I'm like, you know what, I'll take a gamble on this one too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Cool, Good for you man, Good for you maybe. I mean, honestly, it'd probably be like a freaking masterpiece, right, could probably be like the most important film made in years, you know, so good for them. You got to respect somebody doing something different, you know, you have to. But people are telling me like it's this new indie. Get the fuck. I ain't nothing indie about a movie with those two guys in it, Like, come on, you know, the CGI alone when he rides them through the ocean probably costs like one hundred thousand dollars. You know, you and I could have made five shorts for that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, seriously, I mean and I believe I understand completely what you're saying, Chris and I and you know, because I mean, I've made movies for literally nothing, just everyone doing it for the love of the game. And I've made things for like twenty five, thirty forty thousand, and you're like, holy crap, it sounds like a lot of money when I started, and now it's like down to nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's man, it's just a it's it's a mind blowing business man. I got a lot of respect for you guys that do this and love it and breathe it because it's so hard to get it done. I mean, what other thing can you name that you just can't do? Right? If I want to be a pro baseball player, probably not gonna happen, but damn it. I can play baseball every day in my life, right, I can get in an inter real league. I can play and fill in the blank with anything else. Music. Okay, maybe I'm not going to be you know, I'll give you bon Jovie reference and you're that part of the world. I'm not gonna be bon Jovi, But I can still write a song. I can still find a little coffee house, open mic and I can play it for people, right, But you just can't make a film. Okay, you can grab your iPhone, of course, I'm not saying you can do that, but do you know what I mean, an actual full length feature film. You just can't do it. There's a million hurdles, there's all these people. I don't I just think it's just such a such an undertaking to go down that road that I just support anybody man, like, just awesome, hell, it's great. How can I help you? You know? What? Do you need? Guys? Because you're about to go to war, like you are about to go to war, and it doesn't end in the filming. You know, here I am two years later, finally releasing the thing, and the distribution. You're dealing with and doing the premiere and and doing the press, and you're all doing I mean, dude, I mean, I'm just again. You are talking to me at a time where my head's spinning, so you're probably getting a very emotional version of me. If we talk in three months, we could probably have a very relaxed So Chris, how did it happen? Well, Dave, this happened, you know. But I'm in the midst of like, ah, and but it's an exciting one and I asked for this and I'm pumped up. And we're proud of it too. Man. You know it's a it's a big life goal and a huge accomplishment, you know, yeah, oh absolutely, Chris.
Speaker 4: And you know, I mean I I've been there before too, and I completely understand where you're coming from, dude. And honestly, Chris, you should be proud of the Bet movie. And now you're gonna you're probably at that phase where you know, at the end you were probably you know, you're drained, You've given everything you can and you're like, you know what, I've made one movie, that's it, goodbye. And then you know, about a month or two later, you're like, man, I should maybe make a nun.
Speaker 3: It's not it's funny you say that, Dave. While we were waiting for post production to happen and we were kind of had the post production blues right and trying to find some more money, right, what we did is we run another script. Aaron and I learned so much. We said, let's take this education, let's write another one. Man. And you know, it's so funny. You know, you always you get better but we had so much on set experience in this whole process. I kind of feel like we went to film school without going to film school, right, And I'm sure film school people were like, fucking idiot, No, you didn't know. It's true, I don't know the difference between this brand of camera this brand of camera. Right. But we wrote this next script and we're very excited about it. We actually want to shoot it next year in South Jersey and your neck of the woods. And it was so cool because we got to write a script knowing what it's like to make a movie. Now we know what we need. Now we know too can't write that scene that's ridiculous, it'll get but so it got to be very focused. And that's just the education that comes with time that guys like you have. But it was very exciting to put that into play. And if this movie does well, you know, your your hope is that it opens the door for another executive producer, or the same executive producers, or just more connections in the business to back this and get behind another one. But I definitely learned we need more money if we want to make the type of movie we made. We're not gonna be able to do it on that budget. Again, we're gonna need to find a couple more bucks. You got to move up the ladder a little bit, right, You can't, you can't go in the opposite direction.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's just like what Dov Simon says. You know, you may you get to make a twenty thousand dollars movie, then you make a fifty thousand dollars movie, then you make one hundred and some one thousand, and then all of a sudden you're making a million dollar movies.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think, actually, I think he starts off with in his paradigm, you make you make a movie for nothing, literally, it's just your friends, whatever, and then you have to make a movie for like ten grand or five grand, and then you move up. You know it sporadically. But yeah, but I know exactly where you're coming from, because that's what I mean. That's where I I've always said too, is you know, people ask me about making stuff and why haven't made anything like four or five years, and my answer is is because I'm an idiot and I write things and I go, holy shit, I would never be able to even using all my methods that I talked about in this podcast. Even having all the people who who've talked to me and saying, look, what do you have access to? What can you make today with it? With all you have access to? I end up writing stuff that I'm like, dude, I look at one effect and I'm like, this thing would cost fifty grand, or I look at this, this one goes you know, I mean, I mean, but then again, Chris, you know, I don't know if I don't know if you ever listened to this other couple of the podcasts. But I mean, I'm the guy who was able to get a live working tank and also able to get fake police cars to destroy And it wasn't that I wasn't you know. We couldn't make it because not because we couldn't find the tank and the police cards are destroyed, but because me and the director couldn't get along. So it was a very odd I love it.
Speaker 3: So therefore your biography should be I found that Tank wants the Dave Ballist story, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And and I actually because I have a friend of mine who's a mechanic. He uh, he has a contract with police. The police department had all the old police parts we were going to doc throw up all these old junkers to look like police cars from just one side and then run a tank over them. And we had and I got everything all squared away, and I mean the director connected, Wow.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. But but now he's in tank that you found a tank. That's the important thing, you know.
Speaker 4: Yep, he's my tank guy from now on.
Speaker 3: This guy guy. I love it. Hey, at least you have a tank guy. A lot of people don't have that. I love it.
Speaker 4: I got two things going for me. I had a pro wrestling match and I and I have a tank guy. So that's it.
Speaker 3: I think for most people that's enough, you know what I mean? Like you know, you know, even on your tombstone, like here lies Dave Ballist, he had one pro wrestling match and one time he found a tank. I mean, everybody's gonna take a picture of that tombstone. That's gonna be a.
Speaker 4: Plastic up as I'm buried in a uh what is it? The piano crate. But I just become like Marlon Brando. I just eat myself into like an early grave.
Speaker 3: It'd be worse.
Speaker 4: We just took a very dark turn there. But Chris I wanted to ask, where can people find the BET movie out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so the BET as of right now is officially out. I think it's actually comes out today on the day of airing. From July twenty sixth on, it is on should be, should be on all VOD outlets like Time Warners, movies on demand, Comcast Movies on demand, you know, direct TV movies on demand, and of course iTunes. That's kind of the de facto place and that's probably the first place I would send somebody to look for it on iTunes. But it'll also be available for around on Xbox, PlayStation, Fandango, now, Voodoo, so basically all the digital outlets, the VOD outlets, and then we'll be doing a DVD at the end of August, and then god willing fingers crossed conversation for another time.
Speaker 2: Right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: We land on Netflix or Hulo Hulu with the streaming deal. So that's a plan. But right now, if you want to see this movie, if you like comedy, if you like silly movies, if you like professional wrestling, if you just want to see what a bunch of psychotic, ambitious dudes made on a small budget. You know, check it out. This this one came from the heart. Man. It's a silly movie. It's a wild movie. It's a wacky movie. It's certainly not for everybody. It's not highbrow, Dave, but you know, in a weird way, it came from all the right places. You know, it came from good people that worked really hard against a lot of odds. And you know, I think, as any indie filmmaker, regardless of the content, it's the type of movie you want to download by at once and support it because you know, I think a lot of people can relate to the struggle. Man. You know, it is real, and it's always cool when somebody cracks through and gets it out there. We'll see what happens. Man, I don't know what's gonna happened, but it's exciting. It's exciting to find out, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I meant to mention, this is Robby Roddy Piper's last movie.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, it's a final appearance of Roddy Roddy Piper. He has a cameo in the film. So it is small, but that was one of the great joys in my life was having Roddy Piper in my own house hanging out. We got to spend a wonderful day together. We really bonded. We actually became friends from the whole project and kept in touch. So you know, when we lost him, that was you know, it kind of affected me a little bit. It was strange to have made friends with a hero like that and then worked with him on this and started to talk to him about other projects, and just as quickly as he came in my life, he left. But it's a real honor to me. If if the only thing that this movie becomes known for historically that's a stretch of a word, but is if it's known, oh that was that last movie that Roddy popped in for a couple of minutes. Fine by me, Man, Fine by me. I'm honored to be the guy that made Roddy Piper's last movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And honestly, even if I if I I know you, Chris, I honestly I would have actually bought the movie just to see his last performance. I was, you know, being a wrestling fan of a huge Piper fan as well, and that I think that is so freaking cool. So to be able to say on your on your you know, on your eulogy, that can say, Hey, Chris, you know Chris j He he was able to hire out Droddy Piper and he made the Bet movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. That's it, man, That's all I got going for me, you know. And of course, if anybody's listening, if they want to follow us online, you can go to the Betmovie twenty sixteen dot com. From there you can connect to our Facebook, our Twitter, our Instagram. We're trying to have fun with the marketing, Dave. We're really trying to get a little cult buzz on this. It's for comedy fans, it's for wrestling fans. We got some talented people in it, man. You know, our two lead actors, Amanda Clayton is going to be in a Martin Scorsese movie at the end of the year. She's on a Tyler Perry show right now. Our lead actor has a small role in Guardians of the Galaxy too. So you're gonna see some faces in here that I truly believe in my heart. In the next year or two, you're going to see a lot more of And I think we just took casting so seriously that you know, hopefully it's one of those films that go gains momentum as it goes to Netflix. As people see it, they're like, hey man, I saw this movie and it's kind of wild, but it's actually funny. I like to think it's kind of I don't know, you know, I think it's a funny movie. You don't make a comedy to not make people laugh, and that was our goal. You know.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you actually brought that up. If you have the time. I had some fan questions coming through Twitter. Yeah, sure, okay, so one of them, it actually is if there was one thing that you wanted the audience to take away from your film, what would that be.
Speaker 3: Somebody's got to write dick and fart jokes? Why not me?
Speaker 4: The second question is what cameras did you shoot on and did you shoot in four K?
Speaker 3: We shot on an Alexa, which we were very lucky to get so it looks awesome, and then we did one or two pickup shots with a red that was attached to a drone and the guy that let us use it basically ran around and fought underneath in terror because he was ready to catch it if it fell. And so you shot you didn't shoot in four K, you know, I mean, that's how not technical I am on being completely blunt with you, Dave, I'm not sure. I just know that we had the Alexa camera that everybody was super excited and it looked great, especially when we put that color on it. It's like, man, this looks like a real movie quote unquote, you know it's uh.
Speaker 4: By the way, as you you know, go through this wonderful world of filmmaking. By the way, that's the numb one question you will always ask. From now every time you make a film, every other filmmaker is going to ask you this question, what did you shooting on?
Speaker 3: What did you shoot it on?
Speaker 4: Yep, that that will be the col de facto question. And you know they're a filmmaker because non filmmaking people don't give two flying fucks what you shoot ony. You could shoot it on a cardboard box. No, you can say, hey, I shot it with my iPhone. Oh that's cool. What they're every filmmaking persons say, hey, would you shoot that on?
Speaker 3: Okay? Okay, I just sent a text to find out so in the future I won't look like a goog goob. It's cool.
Speaker 4: I believe me, man, I you know, it's all good with me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know because every time that I've every film. If you go to a film festival, a film networking thing and you show a film, would you shoot that on? Okay? Would you shoot them? That's everybody. Everyone loves to ask that question. But but uh, but I just think that's how I can tell if you're a film, if you're in the industry or not, because non industry people won't even mention it.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, Chris, I I want to say thank you so much for coming on. Uh. And I want to ask where people find you out online?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if people want to see what I'm up to and all that fun stuff, the best place is probably on Twitter. And it's just at Army of Freshman. That's the name of the band, and that's where I kind of put my all my personal stuff, you know. And uh, I got the text message. So I'm a professional filmmaker. Now Dave you ready? Yeah, I'm ready ready, you're ready ready. They said we shot on an Alexa camera and it said, uh, at the time, Alexa didn't shoot four. We shot on a two. Does that okay? So two K two k okay, that's what I want to say in ALEXA two k okay. Good? Is that a good thing? Date or bad thing?
Speaker 4: And that's that's fun? Honestly, man.
Speaker 3: You know that's when should have hung up on me. That would be a great end of this conversation. What a fuck.
Speaker 4: You know, that's how I ended up most conversations. What a fun. Uh but uh but basically, you know, everyone only only has ten eighty uh tenandy monitors, TVs, tablets, phones. So I mean, you know, this whole thing about shooting two four eight, you know, it's I don't really know if it matters at the end of the day. I you know, I think it's a great thing. Honestly, if you shoot, I think we're waves away from shooting everyone shooting in four K and being able to enjoy in four K as well, because you have to crush all this stuff anyway. So my answer is, yeah, I think that's great. Man.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, good, good good. I can't wait for you to see it, man, I really mean that, out of everybody that I've been talking to publicity wise, I think you'll have a neat perspective. Number one, because you like wrestling in all honesty, and you'll probably understand that how it's hard to work with wrestlers, and but you'll understand the comedy of it. And number two, you're a film guy, you know. Number three you're from Philly. And number four, you didn't laugh at me when I didn't know what camera it was shot on. So these are you know, you're the type of guy that needs to see this film. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to put on my pjs, I'm gonna fire up the old Xbox. I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 3: Go co cool. Awesome, David, And thank you so much for your time, dude. And again I do listen to the podcast and I always enjoy your conversations. I like how you have a lot of variety of people on the show. You're not like kind of one of those conceited podcasts that kind of just rip on people and you know, they just kind of make it sort of I don't know, it's kind of seems like bitter dudes that don't make movies, that want to rip on people that do. That's not you. You're always so supportive to your guests and I always learned something so I am a fan. Man. It was a real pleasure talking to you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I appreciate that, Chris. Like I said in the pre interview, man, I you know I always try to say positive.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know.
Speaker 4: I always want to make this a place of positivity and have as many interesting, diverse people as I can. But having said that, I want to say thank you very much for coming on, Chris, and I really do wish you the best with a BET movie. I'm going to be checking it out six. It is released on all of the of the channels that Chris was talking about. But Chris, honestly, Matt, I want to say thank you so much for coming on, and I'm going to make sure to check out the BET movie.
Speaker 3: So my pleasure, Dave, you take care and thanks everybody for listening. Really doesn't mean a lot. Please check out the film and say hi, let us know what you thought.
Speaker 4: Awesome. Take care chreer, Okay, take care. Brother.
Speaker 2: I want to thank Dave so much for doing such a great job on this episode. If you want to get links to anything we spoke about in this episode, head over to the show notes at Bulletproof Screenwriting dot TV Forward slash four fifty five. Thank you so much for listening to guys, as always, keep on writing no matter what. I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Bulletproof Screenwriting podcast at Bulletproof Screenwriting dot tv.