Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave Media podcast. Last week I went to see a film called Alien Intrusion. Here's a little sample from the trailer.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm a science fiction fan and I can tell you the truth is out there, but it's a lot stranger than any science fiction.
Speaker 3: It's claimed that over twenty million Americans have seen a UFO.
Speaker 2: The Ropapole concluded that up to four million Americans had been abducted by aliens.
Speaker 4: I've been involved in the development of space vehicles for expiration for over sixty years. You know, there are massive problems with the idea that advanced aliens can simply work themselves around the galaxy. The starship Enterprise travels at multiple factors of lights.
Speaker 5: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 6: A giant hairy creature, part ape, part Matt in Larkness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake of the Highlands of Scotland, if a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monstert.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and this week we're going to be talking about a film that I saw last week called Alien Intrusion and how it relates to something called the ultraterrestrial hypothesis. In the interview that follows, you're going to hear a discussion with Joe Laycock, Natasha Michels, and Jeb Card, all of whom have been on Monster Talk before. Joined Natasha teach religious studies. We've had them on to discuss Tulpa's in relationship to the slender Man, and we had on Joe to talk about Satanism and the Satanic Panic and dungeons and dragons, and we've had Jeb on to talk about fairies with our archaeological fantasies crossover. Anyway, you'll recognize their voices, I believe if you're a regular listener, and their discussion we're about to have is about ultraterrestrials, John Keel, the paranormal unified field theory, and this film Alien Intrusion and how it ties in UFOs and demons. It's really quite interesting and I hope you'll give it a listen. And I want to give a quick thank you to Peter Ahler, my friend who joined me to watch this film in preparation for this episode.
Speaker 3: MOREMS Tutle.
Speaker 1: All right, so welcome to Monster Talk again. All of you.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: So we're here tonight to talk about some things. This is going to be kind of a roundtable discussion. Jeb and I, along with Sharon Hill, have been working on researching something that we're calling well, actually, Jeb, why don't you explain what the PUFT is.
Speaker 3: The puff to the paranormal Unified field theory. Yeah, I think we're going to come back to it again and end. But basically wrestling with the idea that all sorts of things that people put into what academics might call the Celtic a milia, which include conspiracy theory as well as words like occult, paranormal, etcetera. I'm probably not the person to talk about this in this conversation, but that people would talk about as being paranormal are all increasingly in the community that's very interested in such topics interlinked. Yeah, and it's a thing that I'm interested in. And when we went to cryptocon we saw very firsthand, and it's a thing I've been talking about a lot. And then I think I finally all convinced you all that it really was a thing after seeing it there with dogmen and whatnot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, the Michigan dog Man and other aspects of the paranormal. They don't fit into the flesh and blood, meat and bones sort of aspect of things. And this is not new because even really early on in the UFO world there was a split. And I say UFOs first because that sort of predates Bigfoot. It doesn't really predate theety, but it does predate Bigfoot. There was a split between the UFOs are real physical craft and UFOs are some sort of ultradimensional or transdimensional phenomena. And I guess the guy who really focused on the ultraterrestrial hypothesis, in fact, who gave it that name, is John Keel.
Speaker 3: He doesn't invent he doesn't invent the concept. And honestly, I think we're probably going to backwork into the roots of this in all right, So, if you listen to the show that I'm usually on archaeological fantasies, we generally have two drinking game words. One is Victorian and the other is theosophy. And I'm about to say both. So I just did what's.
Speaker 8: That that we have drinks and hands?
Speaker 3: All right? So why don't we have why don't we talk about let's bring in the other people on this because I guarantee, because I'm just going to say this straight out one y'all's discussion of Tulpa's which are very tied into this on Monster Talk was astonishing, and also it appears to have made it on the X Files, which is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 3: Locks Yeah, yeah, no, very much.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me explain why I invited joined Natasha on. It's because, in conjunction with this research I've been doing to help Jeb on an article that he's working on, I synchronistically had a friend point me to this theater event that was happening called Alien Intrusion, and I looked into it and within about five minutes realized that this was not a UFO documentary, This was a religious documentary.
Speaker 3: Well it is a UFO doctors.
Speaker 1: Well it is, I'd say, it's just kind of the point, right it is. It is a Well, in fact, we'll get to that. But because of the fact that it looked to me like they were basically saying that UFOs were a demonological phenomena, I thought that there was a good chance it might tie in with this ultra terrestrial hypothesis stuff, and so I went to watch the film, and after and even before I went to watch the film, I reached out to Joe because.
Speaker 3: This is a film in theaters, right.
Speaker 1: It was a special event Fathom Events hosted, So this is like a one night simulcast across many theaters.
Speaker 3: And so you saw in the theater, and Joe and Natasha, I believe you saw it in the theater.
Speaker 7: It was one night only. How could we resist?
Speaker 3: That's right? Yeah, So I am going to be the This is a horrifying position for everybody involved. I guess I'm going to be the audience proxy because I have not seen this. I've looked into it. I've seen the guest list or the speaker's list, but I have not seen this. So I will probably be asking questions about us.
Speaker 1: I'm the I'm the far end of that spectrum. I've lived this. So when I was growing up, my mother told me not to be afraid of UFOs or aliens because Lucifer is the lord of the heir and could make all things appear to be something that they're not. Basically that it's much more likely that it's demons than physical aliens from another planet. And that was really seriously the hypothesis of this film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it did go straight up demons. Oh absolutely, and I want to get into it quite Yeah, I'm just no.
Speaker 1: But Joe or Natasha both being religious studies people, both being very familiar with the field and having a much deeper knowledge of religious studies than I have. I mean, I've only got sort of the evangelical Christian view and the lightest understanding of other religions. So I thought it would be helpful to have them to give us some context. So I really appreciate you guys joining us and for attending the film, because it gives you absolutely the best position to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, the way that they did this is you were saying, Fathom looks like they were set up if you know, there's a show and you want to watch it at a movie theater live, and so using that as a distributor whatever audience there would be. It seems that it just got split up across because multiple movie theaters in Austin were showing it. When we went, there were less than a dozen people in the audience. A good portion of them seemed to be UFO buffs who walked out in anger. Really about halfway through it, and I looked today on the IMDb page for this film, and in the trivia it actually says lots of people walked out of this film because they didn't know it was religious. And Natasha also got pretty restless and got up during the film and actually saw an audience member berating the poor guy taking tickets.
Speaker 3: Oh God, Latasha, what can you remember.
Speaker 7: From that conversation?
Speaker 5: So he was out talking to the young young guy taking tickets and was just saying that, well, I guess I should have researched this film better, but shame on you guys for showing this. And this poor kid is you know, he doesn't make these decisions. He take some tickets, and then he kept saying, you know, I want to go out and get a breath of fresh air, but I don't have my ticket to return.
Speaker 8: You know, He's like, I think I need.
Speaker 5: To go take a walk, and he seemed very very agitated. And I was actually in the search of trying to get myself a water or something, because by this point the movie had been going on for about two hours, and at this point I was just beating us over the head with New Testament versus and different things from Paul's letters, so sure.
Speaker 1: So it would have been a great one hour sort of presentation, I think. I mean, you could have made the case in an hour, but they stretched it out to two and then had like a Q and a afterwards, a.
Speaker 3: Q and a. Yeah, like there were people from the film sort of the company or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh wow it was. It was definitely a bait and switch, I think.
Speaker 3: Which the first IMDb review that shows up the title is I feel lied to, with lied to being all caps, which is why I put a little more volume behind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do know the bait and switch evangelical approach has been around for a long time. I mean I remember many times when I was a kid going to the fair and then have like free puppet show and you know it's a puppet show, but it is definitely an evangelical, you know, conversion puppet show.
Speaker 3: I've also done that to good anthropology majors.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I remember in college there was a free comedy night and it was an evangelical bait and switch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's kind of like it's almost like a pious fraud. You know, it's not like quite faking a miracle, but it is it is a little bit deceptive, and.
Speaker 3: Which is, by the way, literally the subtitle of the movie. It is alien intrusion unmasking a deception. Well, surprise, I got one of the deceptions for here, narrated by John Schneider, one of the two dudes from the Dukes of Hazzard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 7: Was also interesting because John Schneider now does something called Faith Works Productions and so important again, but he did not introduce himself as Bo Duke from Dukes of Hazzard. He introduced himself as Clark Kent's dad from the show Smallville.
Speaker 3: Interesting, that's right, yeah.
Speaker 7: After the sci fi craft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also just people who are, you know, younger than a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let me tell you a different view of the audience. My theater sold out to auditoriums, and it real almost entirely church groups where everybody knew everybody. Everybody was like, hey, brother so and so, and hey sister so and so.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: There was there was a real sense that I had walked into a church service. And before the movie started there were a lot of advertisements about creation ministries. It was really and the narrator or not the narrative, the director of the show is from Mostustralia, so he wasn't ken Ham, but there is a strong I'm just it just kind.
Speaker 3: Of immediately go where my mind went. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no exactly. It wasn't Knham, but it was yet another strong Australia anti evolutionary thing, and I wish Karen was here to defisure your country.
Speaker 7: Christian Ministries had a nasty breakup with ken Ham in two thousand and six, and the reasons for this are not entirely clear, but there's a lot online if you want to dig into that breakup.
Speaker 1: It was a secret anti chin beard sort of movement.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, that's harsh but fair. By the way, he does not have They sell a little pamphlet about UFOs at the so pretty much if you go to the Kraast Museum, all the stuff they sell text wise is theirs, which surprised me when I went there. I've not been to the ark and Kaa, but in the Karat Museum and they do have a tiny little pamphlet on UFOs and they don't do the demonology thing. They actually have a largely skeptical perspective that basically says sightings are probably blah, blah blah, mistakes and the idea of aliens reifies evolution.
Speaker 1: Let me just say that a good seventy percent of the first half of this movie. I know that's a little bit of too much math, probably, but the predominant content of the first half of the film was about what the UFO phenomena is and why modern day science rejects the idea that physical extraterrestrial craft are traveling from other planets. It could have been put on by psychop It was absolutely you know. Bullet pointed the same arguments that most physicists have against the idea that just a visiting Earth but they move does open the way for demons, which makes that they move on to the argument, well, people are seeing something, so what are they seeing. If it's not physical craft, it must be demons. So I mean that there's a lot of things that I would have liked them to include it, But the idea that maybe it's misidentified or misunderstood or sleep paralysis, none of those ideas came up.
Speaker 3: So how much of it was abduction? Like looking at the IMDb thing, abduction seems to come up a lot. Was a lot of it, which if they're talking about sort of demonological, you know, nocturnal attacks. Abduction seems like it would be a big part of Is that a big focus in the film?
Speaker 1: The second half is all about abduction.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because the narrator says, abductees are the most testable evidence that we have of this phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Wow, which I guess how well.
Speaker 7: In the sense that you can bring an abductee.
Speaker 3: To a lab and like yeah on them.
Speaker 7: But a lot of ufologists, including you know, Jacques Ballet, have said the contact these are the worst evidence, right, The best evidence are is ideally a video or something like that, and not something who is remembering something under hypnosis.
Speaker 3: But on the other hand, of course Ballet is also mister aliens or fairies, which if you want to be away with the fairies and missing time under the hills and.
Speaker 1: They brought up fairies, you'd have been so proud of them.
Speaker 3: I've made all the made all the mistakes in my life, especially when.
Speaker 5: They use the abduct keees, because it's like they were they were trying to show in the first half of the first two thirds, like this is all illogical. You know, fast than light travel is illogical, and you know, all this other.
Speaker 8: Stuff and then when we got to the abductees.
Speaker 9: There was just so much crying and with like really sad piano keys in the background, and it was just it was just this like kind of blatant appeal to emotion.
Speaker 3: It was telling stories over sad piano interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's very popular.
Speaker 3: Sorry it's a little in joke there, but so so it was very very like like sort of therapy culture kind of word of with the which is not a new criticism of abduction stuff.
Speaker 1: Not so much. They treated the abductees like they'd had legitimate experiences. They very politely discussed the common feature of the rectal probes, and then they it basically came down to correct me if I'm over simplifying this, Natasha Joe. But I think it came down to invoking the name of Jesus Christ repeatedly is the best defense against alien abduction.
Speaker 7: That's right. And and two of the people in the film are involved in this ministry called alien resistance.
Speaker 3: I think the websites they're in there, that's amazing. I've been in their church yep, right across right, Well they're not anymore, but they used to be literally across the street from the UFO Museum in Roswell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and there's a resistance is fertile?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 3: Nice? Do they still have as their symbol the sort of no smoking aka Ghostbusters like the red circle with oh my god, what the alien had the gray head in the middle. My favorite picture period of all is I went to the two thousand and two UFO Festival in Roswell and the Rallians, the group that is basically a contact ee flying saucer religious new religious movement primarily based out of Quebec, all though a ton of them in Korea. They were going to speak, not it wasn't gonna be rey Ale, but it was disciples of His who made their hair and beard look like his who were going to speak at the International UFO Museum and Research Center aka the Big Museum with a almost as big gift shop attached to it. Then at the last minute their speaking got revoked because they were too weird for the UFO Museum, which is a merit badge. But they were allowed in to the Alien Resistance storefront church, which at that time existed across the street. And the story behind that is I know his name is Guy, I don't remember his last name, but he was from I want to say, Tennessee in the nineteen nineties, and if you all know the story, better please interrupt me. In the nineteen nineties he started having in essence what would be sort of alien abduction or what a skeptic would say would be sleep paralysis events, but he interpreted them from a born again perspective as demonic attacks. And so he decided, well, where am I going to go into the belly of the beast. He went to Roswell right at the sort of the height of all of this, and opened up a storefront church of a ministry against aliens because he believes their demons. But they allowed the aliens who say they don't worship aliens, they say they're atheists, but they kind of worship aliens, allowed them to come in and speak. And there is a picture that a dude who was sort of reliving the film Six Days in Rosse, which is a very interesting film. God of me listening to all of this, and I now have it in every who Am I? Because I don't want to do this lecture at the beginning of semesters.
Speaker 7: The guy I'm malone, I want to say it.
Speaker 3: Was guy alone. That seems very like Batman Gillin from the thirties. I wasn't certain, but that sounds right. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: He and Joe Jordan, who they said was the moof on director for South Korea. Interesting players in the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and then Jim Subtle from Roswell as well.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah. I don't know if they're still in Roswell. I know they are no longer right in front of the museum, but I don't know if they've left Roswell. I get the feeling they're still there because I saw some YouTube videos a few years ago of them having sort of an alternate conference at the same time as the Big festival, and one of the people in the film spoke there, who I don't believe has the same ideology one Nick Redford. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what Nick believes exactly, but I know that he makes his living off of the same sort of topics that I'm interested in and doesn't have the sort of skeptical framework that I do. But he was in the movie quite a bit, and every time Nick Redford appears, it's moments later we see John Keel over and over and over again. So it's like Nick Redford, Nick Nick Redford serves as John Keel's proxy for this film.
Speaker 3: Well, do we want to briefly talk about that a little? Like? Like?
Speaker 1: Not briefly, I think we should talk about a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I mean I just didn't know if if there was anything else we need to get out of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think. I mean, I think the main thing is that, you know, my position as a skeptic. You know, we're a podcast that works with Skeptic Magazine. But I've always felt that I think it's absolutely fine that people have religion. I you know, I grew up in a religious family. I'm not an anti god person. I'm not an anti religious. I am a very pro evidence person, and I don't think I think that the usefulness of using skeptical methodology to figure out whether things are really demonstrably true or testably true or not is important, and critical thinking is important, and I find it unfortunate that this whole thing is also wrapped up in a big anti evolution nutshell, because I think there's very few scientific theories that have turned out to be so demonstrably reliable as natural selection as an explanation for evolution and as a quick reminder for audience members who may not know it. The evolution itself was never really debatable. I think prior to Darwin, Darwin was looking for a mechanism to explain it. He wasn't inventing evolution. Evolution already existed. His grandfather had talked about evolution. But what he did was came up with natural selection as a methodology to explain how over time selective pressures can cause change that looks like design. And it's interesting to me that that a group that's primarily focused on pro creation as not not pro creation but promoting Yeah.
Speaker 3: That creation is that they're primarily clear that up.
Speaker 1: I think that that's their primary, uh sort of focus. That they would hop into the alien hot tub and want to have a swim with us is fascinating. So and I'm not sure where that metaphor just went, but uh, well.
Speaker 3: Well let's let's let's I think I'm as an archaeologist, I always like to sort of look at things from a let's let's go to an origins. If you watch any random documentary about although maybe these days maybe not so much, but in the past, and I think sleeve in today about UFOs, what would the origin be like, what what what would be the UFOs were first blah blah blah blah blah, Well what would it prop what would the sort of always popular.
Speaker 1: As Keneth Arnold as the first and then the.
Speaker 3: June twenty fourth, nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they go back and say, oh, but there were also airships and go back to the Bible and Ezekiel.
Speaker 3: Right. But the thing, so the typical kind of kind of perspective on this is you have this sudden emergence of this phenomenon of strange things seen in the sky that may have something to do without her space, although it takes a few years for it to sort of go there, in the summer of nineteen forty seven, specifically starting, as Keiland has pointed out, on Saint John's Day, on about this day, on June twenty fourth. Bye, And I would love to turn this over to people probably know a hell a lot more about this than I do. The actual origins of all of this, can of what we call flying saucers and UFOs and many of the ideas that we see emerge after nineteen forty seven can all be found. And I'll put your glasses in your hand in the late Victorian period and in sort of the movement known as theos Fee, which is sort of a reaction to modernity in some ways and in other ways it's not. It gets really complicated, and I'd love you all to talk about more than me. That then kind of tracks through places like Maurice Doriol and Richard Shaver and gets up there. So the reason I say this is the idea that you'd have psychical interests or what would call parapsychological or psychic mixed in with strange things in the sky, mixed in with weird places, mixed in with strange creatures is actually not new. And if anybody wants to jump in, feel free.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a couple of things. You know. The Christian attitude that these are just demons goes back to probably the seventies and is fairly mainstream and serving the movements. How Lindsay wrote a lot about this, that the UFOs are the false miracles that's going to usher in the end times. What was different about this was I have never seen a Christian take on UFOs that gets into Jacques Pallet and John Keel and what you call the puffed yeah unified field theory and there's some consequences to that. One of them is people like hal Lindsay assumed UFOs have never happened before, and if they're happening now, it's because these are the end days. Interesting in this film they have to say, well, this is actually always gone on, right, because there's always been demons you mentioned I think Blake mentioned Ezekiel, which is interesting Ezekiel did not show up in this film, Yeah, because that would have kind of thrown a monkey ranch into their claim that all anything that looks like an alien is demonic, right, because they can't say the wheels that's seen by the prophet Ezekiel were demonic.
Speaker 3: They have been because they're they're angelic, right.
Speaker 7: They're angelic, right, So that's interesting that that was sort of a left interesting.
Speaker 5: Angel Gabriel and Mohammad showed up, as did the as did Joseph.
Speaker 1: Smith ran what Yeah, yeah, because these are I think that tied into the nobody should add anything to the Bible approach, right, Like the original prophecies of the Bible are the Bible incomplete, and anything that happens after that is entirely suspect.
Speaker 3: Right. So this thing basically argue that Gabriel and Mohammad is demonic and Joseph Smith is demonic, not them, but the revelations thereof.
Speaker 7: Yes, and wonderful quite at scientology. And so really the film was putting all three of these religions in the same category of oh sonic propaganda.
Speaker 3: When they talk about scientology, tell me more about the scientology that may actually get into some of what I would love to talk about. Tell me more what they talked about in the film.
Speaker 7: Well, so they're approaching euthology from what I would call a heresiological perspective, basically saying this is a false religion, right, they say it's a scientific theory, it's not. It's a false religion. And I mean they actually make some good points on that front. Some religion scholars might agree with them, not that it's a false religion, but that it serves a kind of religious function in people's lives. And then they say, and we know that there are religions that have been started by contact with these entities such as scientology, and there's a slide very quickly of a scientology temple. I don't really think it's an accurate assessment of the history of scientology. I think they were banking on the fact that people will have heard of this religion and they'll have a negative attitude about it, and this will sort of score points with the audience down.
Speaker 3: So they didn't get into like say Jack Parsons, no, no, because given that they got redfern there. So we will probably come back to this, but probably Nick Redferns, who's written a lot on UFOs and his big thing he talks about like his I. You know, he likes the idea that like things like NeSSI and Bigfoot may actually be psychic thought forms or spirit not spirits, but more parapsychological than biological. But he wrote a book in twenty ten, I believe, called Final Events where he argues that there has been this group inside the United States government. He calls the Collins elite that have become eventually born again or evangelical Christians that pretty much buy into this worldview that UFOs in fact are demonological, and that they intend to do something about it. And I actually there's an episode of Sharon Hill's fifteen Credibility Straight we talked about this at some length because that's what I do. How the recent revelation and things related to it. I don't want to really get into this too hard unless it becomes an issue, because there will be a rabbit hole of the Department of Defense. Recent UFO project actually lends some interesting credibility to the idea that such a group or groups like it, or one could see how such groups might be in essence bouncing off of a longer term sort of parapsychological euthological sort of I like to use the word rolodex, but sort of contact list of people you call people in the remote viewing thing. And again, this is getting into a rabbit hole. So let's leave it alone for the moment. But that's why we keep bringing up in addition to him being the one who is not a primary religious apologist. In the film Nick Redford.
Speaker 7: And Final Events is discussed explicitly.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It's in my note. So ye oh, so let's let's let's let's talk about that then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us somebody, I mean, I still have not read Final Events, although after seeing this, I well, what.
Speaker 3: Do they say in the film? What did they say in the film?
Speaker 1: I wrote down Final Events? Look this up. This is super helpful, right, it was one of the I know they made quotes from Redfern. He explicitly talked to me. He said, I talked about this in Final Events. I believe it is what he said. I can go back and get the exact quotes. Later.
Speaker 7: Redford names his source, who he said was a priest.
Speaker 1: And I've got that written down.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to say it. But it's his final event.
Speaker 3: He's he's been in mouf On. He's been a long term UFO investigator, but he's also a priest.
Speaker 7: The head of Nebraska moved on.
Speaker 3: I believe. Yeah, yeah, he was like a state director.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but he's not.
Speaker 1: I've got a contact in Moufon. I don't want to talk much about this, but he said that it's an interesting mix of people and there are people who you know, who believe in the extra trictional hypothesis, and there's people who explicitly believe there's angels and demons involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's correct.
Speaker 1: I find that fascinating. But you know, it's so. Moufon has been around the mutual UFO network exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, since the seventies. It basically arose out of the ashes of APRO I think was the aerial phenomenon research organization which sort of arose out of the ashes of Nicap NICAP, which was sort of for a long time the big UFO Civilian Bureau since the fifties and so since the seventies and especially since the eighties, Moufon has been the sort of last man standing of UFO groups and the recent Department of Defense stuff. It has not been proven that government funding was directed towards them, but pretty much everybody's look at the situation, looks at timelines and says Robert Bigelow was funding them at points, and here's when he got money from the government, and it's the same time. Therefore, therefore therefore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a lot of interesting ties. You can draw lines all over the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So final Events is brought up in the film. Interesting. So again, this book that Redford, and you can find a lot of podcasts and interviews and things he's done pretty much tells you a lot about the book out there, so you can just look this up everywhere. But basically he makes the argument that so in this guy Ray b O'Shea who is in movifile, comes in and says, look, there's this group called the Collins Elite that has come to me and has told me that there are groups inside the United States government that are very involved in UFOs, but they have come to the conclusion that it is demonic, and some of them want to fight it, and some of them want to weapon exploit it. And then this all gets very stranger things.
Speaker 1: And then I just inject here that the drinking game now switches to Tom Collins ELI, which is a regular Tom Collins the abd who that's your call, that's your abbadouri makes it green? Go for it, all right?
Speaker 3: So oh there you go, a Verry nice. Okay, that's fair. But he basically spins this tale, which I used the word spins the tale simply in the sense he produces a narrative. I'm not actually putting a judgment on that. That Jack Parsons, who is one of the co founders of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he was in the same social circles until things went sour with al Ron Hubbard, which is why I brought him up at that point. And he was a follower of Alistair Crowley and the Ordi templar uh is it Ordo Temple Orientalis the the which again I'm not the expert on this panel on but basically Alister Crowley's kind of spin off from the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and blah blah blahlah. So, the one of the co founders of JPL in the forties, is also a hardcore interested in the esoteric occult scene in California. And Redford argues that near the end of his life because he blows himself up, he's a major pioneer of rocketry in the United States. But near the end of his life he starts wanting to offer his services to the newly founded nation of Israel, and he gives them a little too much when he's making sort of his job proposal, too much in terms of potentially classified information. So there is an investigation, and Redford in the book basically says the group of FBI and whoever then investigate him, go, wait, he's hanging out with demon worshippers, and wait, he's doing all these things and wait, and then they link this into alleged UFO stuff, and this begins this sort of Delta greenish kind of group in the government. And I have thoughts about some of this history that I think is not relevant to really get into. But that's basically what Redford is suggesting. And then around the time of Ronald Reagan becoming president, this group changes its perspective in Redford's telling, decides that things like abduction are demonic attacks, that in essence, we are a farm for demons eating our souls. Again, this is Redford telling the story he was adamantly said, but multiple times he doesn't believe this. He just says what he believes. There's a group that says this, and that this group was at one point sort of plotting various things to try to defend the United States with spiritual warfare.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to me because I think when you look at all these well think of it this way. When you look at government, I think most people think of sort of a monolithic, long term thing, this organization, But it's made up of people, and each one of these individuals has their own belief systems, and it's really easy when you're thinking about these kind of stories to sort of put your own spin on it. I mean, the fact that you've got Ronald Reagan. He represents to some people this sort of ultimate you know, macho American tough guy, and then to other people we see him as a sort of a befuddled old man who you know, relied on astrologers to get his information, and it's it's there's so many nuances to the individuals involved in these stories, but there's such a rich, rich well of material to form your own opinions on. It's it's really hard to kind of pin down what's really going on. It reminds me of some of the better episodes of The X Files, where you know, you think you know what's going on, and then there's a twist, but what if it really means this? And what if it really means that? And I don't really know what it all means, but I'm more inclined to think that using sort of the same natural selection thing that that what's really going on is we just get by. Like the sort of bozos who sort of make these decisions that sort of form our government, we just managed to get. Like, the fact that we're still around is kind of a remarkable because a lot of really strange people with weird beliefs, they are really making things work.
Speaker 3: Well given the events of this weekend. Yes, yeah, but that we are all still alive is impressive. So Joe and Natasha, you both mentioned that in the film, this was the first time you had really seen as you mentioned, like John Keel and Jacques Valet, And I think for what we're talking about, that's I think that's actually really important. Could you talk about that a little more like in turn, not the person I've ever seen them, but first I ever seen them in relation to these ideas.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So, I mean usually when I see Christians talking about UFOs, they say that they're demons, kind of just to get it out of the way. Yeah, So it's just kind of just like, don't pay attention to UFOs. Those are just demons, and this was different. These were two people, Guy Malone and Joe Jordan, who were really part of the UFO culture, and then it appears that they became kind of born again afterwards. And so interesting. Interesting kind of what a Religiou study was something to called hybridity, right, where two differentations begin to resemble each other.
Speaker 3: I have literally edited volume and ran a conference on hybridity. So it's a thing that I've up to the gills on.
Speaker 7: Yes, but I see this a little bit as a as a case study in hybridity. Because the one of the narrators begins saying, you know how annoyed he is when people like their aliens say, oh, well, Jesus was really just an advanced alien, right who came to give us wisdom. And so I see this kind of turning it around where the kind of Christianized uthology weirdly mirrors groups that have been doing this youthologized Christianity, yes for a while, and it's a kind of you got chocolate in my peanut butter, right, Yeah, the blending of ideas.
Speaker 1: Heaven's Gate, Heaven's Gate was like that. They I mean, they had their whole the luciferian actions of these aliens versus the good level above human approach, right, So exactly. Uh yeah, But before before we go further, I would like to mention that when you're talking about hybridity and you're talking about aliens, I want to be clear we're not talking about alien hybrids, which is a different thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, i'd be very curious here. From my perspective, hybridity is basically it's as an archaeologist, as a student of social this, that and the other. It's a very valuable concept, though it's a contested concept or people have issues with it. But basically a recognition, a recognizing recognition. That's what I'm looking for that. Uh. So much of culture is actually made in the interstitial spaces in between things. Uh. And that you know, the idea that, oh, there's a cultural normal here, It's like, well, in reality, a lot of things are mixed up, and actually you understand the structures of society and the structures of global society by looking at that mixing up. Is that is that sort of what y'all are talking about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we used to use this term syncretism, yes, religious traditions, and they decided, well, hybridy is better because that implies a kind of agency that this doesn't just happen by accidents. And you can really see that agency when you see these Christians kind of reading John Keel and.
Speaker 3: Often a subversive agency, often a subversion of existing concepts.
Speaker 7: Right. So this kind of polemical reading of people like Valet and Keel and sort of seeing what here is useful to us and what are we going to have to kind of sweep under the rug to make our arguments?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing I find particularly interesting So you all mentioned you know that they didn't mention Ezekiel, but you all were like, but they should because they're pulling this from ancient aliens or ancient astronauts or the term I use in my book ancient extraterrestrials because no one's trademarked it. But Ezekiel is always brought up there. But as you all pointed out, you can't call that demonic if you're wanting to say this is all demonic, blah blah blah. And I think what you're finding there, and this is one of the beauties when you when, for example, I look at mater real culture, that's hybrid is when you can find trace markers, when you can find there's a term that we use that is on the tip of my tongue, and I'll come back to it when it pops in my head.
Speaker 1: A brief interjection. The term Jeb was trying to remember is skew morphism. He wrote me after the interview to say that when elements transfer from a design and when medium to a design and another, even though they aren't purely functionally needed, that's skew morphism. Things like attempts at preserving elements of a desktop are books or newspapers, et cetera. In a computer interface, there are tons of examples in archaeology, including rivets on ceramics that were modeled after metal buckets. And we now return to the conversation.
Speaker 3: When something survives in one material into another kind of medium. And it's really bugging me. I can't think of it right now. But you're seeing this here where you all expect Ezekiel. It should be there if you're looking at things that are reinterpreted from a UFO perspective, but you can't do it over here for the reasons that you brought up. And I think that's what's happening with Keel. So John Keel. He he's often depicted as a respectable reporter, like a journalist in the nineteen fifties and sixties that then gets wrapped up in UFOs, in weird strology and so on. Around his most famous book, The Mothman Prophecies, involving the incidents around nineteen sixty seven in Point Pleasant, West Virginia that he writes the book, and I want to say it's seventy five where he was not the first person to sort of para to pioneer this idea of a sort of unified theld theory that these things he called himself a demonologist, and he didn't mean that in a theological sense, but he sort of did.
Speaker 7: That was clouded extensively in the film.
Speaker 3: Oh Really, Horse Yesh, which I am literally reading right now. I have not I had not read it before, and I'm reading it right now. I've read some of his other works in reality, keel if you read his first book, Jadoo, which has not been easily found until recently, likes it's not lost, but it was not as you could find Operation chidjre On, as you could find the mothin prophecies. Good luck finding Jadu. Until we've now gotten into the era of easy self publishing. He started looking for magic. I mean you could pretty much just put Max Weber in the index and index most pages. I mean, he literally talks about the lost magic of the landscape that is about to be swept away by industrial civilization. So he goes to the Middle East and Egypt and India to find it, and that's how he starts. So the fact that he then pretty much in every one of his works brings in this concept of finding magic in the landscape, finding spirits in the landscape, finding a sort of not anti science but extra science. In the landscape. Well that is anti science in places, is not surprising. He then becomes the darling of sort of UFO intelligentsia, him and Jacques Valet. And since Vala was brought in, do you all want to talk about like who Jack Valet is or was what he is? He's still alive. I'mike John Keel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know him as a UFU researcher, but he was also a it guy.
Speaker 3: He was. He started as an early like he's now a venture capital. He started doing early statistics, early computer stuff. But I want to say around sixty five, nineteen sixty five, he decided to start applying his statistic statistical background to UFO sightings. He came up with a few interesting things and then two years later it was like, actually they're fairies.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He writes the book called Passport to Magonia, which is I think literally written one year after mom. It's not involved with Mothmam, but it's all in the same era and it's four years or five years before Mothmann prophecies where he goes back and he reads tons of the first occupant UFO reports that are not obviously contact e Angelic. So when we use the word contact d We're talking about basically since around nineteen fifty to fifty one, people, many of whom who had a background in theosophical lodges other esoteric pursuits. They meet, often very white, Nordic tall These are names they give, and some of them were actually Nazi sympathizers. Others were not. In the desert and say, oh, here's a new revelation. But you start having in the middle of the nineteen fifties reports in France and then in South America, and then in the United States and elsewhere of people seeing little people collecting flowers and doing weird things outside of flying saucers and them running away. Valet, in his book in nineteen sixty eight passworda Macgonia Catalog These, analyze these and says these are almost the same, if not the same as and then he pulls out a huge amount of early modern, late medieval to early modern stories from Europe of fairies involving people who are taken away by the fairies. This is when induction is beginning to become a thing in upology. People that have missing weird time, people that have strange events, and so on, and Valet basically makes the argument, and this is the sort of bedrock of what I call the puff the paramil unified field theory. These things and Keel makes the same argument, these things are normal to this planet. They are not from outer space in nineteen forty five because we blew up nuclear bombs. They've been here forever. They're older than us, and they're strange and we don't understand them. Yeah, which then kind of fits demons if you want to go that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. And also I think most people would know weirdly, they would know Valet through his proxy as Claude Lencolm lacom and uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's some dispute whether that's really based on them or not. But Vallet was one of the people that Spielberg was reading. Yeah, he created close Encounters of the third kind, right, and they used to get a Heinech uh well and jail and Heinech by the end of his life had basically come over to a parapsychological slash sort of quasia cultish perspective on UFOs as well.
Speaker 1: To be honest, So I know we're going to keep talking about sort of is you followed your religion? That's one of the is the ultraterrestrial hypothesis of religion. Your religious studies people, what's a religion?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: So when I teach so, when I teach World Religions at Texas State, one of the assignments I have my students do is to create a definition of religion and have to do it three times throughout the semester. And this is really be to kind of demonstrate that there is no inherent definition to religion, that we create working definitions based upon the data that have and so, and that's how I would answer it.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I ask is because I think over the course of Monster Talk, I've talked to a lot of different people about religion, because religion crosses into monsters in a lot of interesting ways. And one of the things that seems, I guess, in modern in modern times, especially within Christianity, religion is about a faith that's what you believe. But that didn't seem like it was always the case. Religion was sometimes what you do. It was the actions you take and the sort of practices that you have. And maybe it's a hybrid of that.
Speaker 5: But well, there's a one theoretical model thinking about religion that says that there are religions that are more based on orthodoxy, so what you believe, and religion is more based on orthopraxy what you do.
Speaker 8: And this is how you determine who is in or not in the religion.
Speaker 5: And I think there's a really interesting divide, a very interesting kind of theoretical tool that can be used to think about religions.
Speaker 8: Another one that I was.
Speaker 5: Thinking about you guys are talking about this puffed theory is the idea of a sacred canopy.
Speaker 8: And this was made by sociologist Peter Berger.
Speaker 3: That's a cannop pay. That's a cannop pay, very different.
Speaker 8: So the sacred canopy, and Joe can jump in if you can explain this a little bit better than I can. But the sacred canopy is the idea that religion is a way.
Speaker 5: To organize the world, that we are bombarded by information all times, and that religion is a way to kind of make categories and to put things in their place, and that you kind of exist under this large sacred canopy, and that to be in a religion is to say, oh, I know where to put this new phenomenon.
Speaker 8: I just saw it goes into this category.
Speaker 7: And so in many ways.
Speaker 5: The idea of puffed, I think, is in some ways making a sacred canopy out of this saying that all this data is actually interconnected and interwoven.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I could definitely disagree with me.
Speaker 7: Maybe no, that I thought that was great, Natasha. So in religious studies, we know that religion as what we call a second order category, meaning it's not something that exists out in the world. It's something that we make up, and we decide what goes in the category and what doesn't. And there's not a perfect definition of what gets lumped in the category and what isn't. But one of the things I try to impress on my undergraduates is it's important that we are fair about what the rules are when we talk about what is or is not a religion, because there's something at stake. So in San Marcos, where Natasha and I teach, there was someone on the city council who, in retweets was saying that Harry Potter is a religion, and so it is unconstitutional to have Harry Potter books in public schools. But Islam is not a religion, and so Muslims do not have any constitutional rights, and so that's the kind of gaming the system that goes on, which is why theories of religion are important. And to the credit of these filmmakers. Gary Bates is the filmmaker. He actually says, I define a religion as having with following three characteristics. Yeah, and he defines it in terms of answering questions, right, where do we come from, what are we're doing? What happens when we die? So he is at least fair right that he says, these are the rules of the game, and by these rules, ethology is a religion.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The reason I ask is because they treated within that film, they treated eupology ufology as though it were a religion, or it seemed to me that they did.
Speaker 7: And.
Speaker 1: It tied in so nicely with the Keel ultraterrestrial hypothesis. So Keel, even though he viewed himself as a demonologist, I didn't get the feeling in any of the things I've read. Of course I still haven't read this Operation Trojan Horse yet, but I didn't get the feeling that he was necessarily prescribing any sort of protection from these things. Oh God, no, Yeah, he was just saying, here, whatever this is, it's not in this world.
Speaker 3: So John Keel basically suggests we all are living in a horror novel.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he doesn't literally say that, but his is a dark world of at best, tricksters and at worst things that eat us, oh spiritually or otherwise.
Speaker 1: Oh that fits in nicely with the fairies, doesn't it. Yeah, the fair folk. Yeah, yeah, no, that that's his world. Yeah, yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: He has no he the the in his world. Like if you read his Mothmaan Prophecies, there's all these contact ees, but the aliens or whatever the hell they are, that they're he's they're talking to lie and lie in not good way. So, I mean the the the famous beginning to end. Everybody forgets at the very beginning of the movie. Not the movie the they did make a movie, which is interesting, but the beginning of the book of the Mothmann Prophecies. He tells you, by the way, this is all about this bridge collapse which killed forty six people. And then he writes this amazing book. I'm not saying it's true, but as a book it's really good. Is the reason it's famous. It's creepy. At the end, you've forgotten this. And then there's this bridge collapse, and all throughout he's having all of these people in his sort of network sause he's going on the long John Neble Show, which is sort of the predecessor to Art bel which, as a processor to George Norris is the predecessor to the entire History Channel and contact teaser saying this is gonna happen, This is gonna happen. He's freaking out about there's gonna be some horrible disaster and he's thinking it's a nuclear war or a giant power outage. Yeah, and then this bridge collapses in this town that he's been visiting for thirteen months. As he writes it, I have seen letters like original letters endpoint pleasant of John Keel. I don't know what he believed, but I mean there's literally scrawled in the sides of these typewritten letters to people, I think something's bad is going to happen, Like he's not entirely bullshitting people.
Speaker 7: Yes, letters too, and I believe Linda Scarborough.
Speaker 3: Yesh yahsie, you would have. Yes, you're a fantastic article on the whole point pleasant mothman stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but he did tell her. I think the men in Black, which kind of emerged partly out of the Mockman story or After Your Baby kind of changeling lore there. And he actually did I think if you hang a gold cross up, this will help keep the men in Black away.
Speaker 3: So he did occasionally make those sorts of suggestions.
Speaker 7: But not as supplications. This was a letter to a breend basically.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, so yeah, But he is very in this and I'd love to hear if you'd agree that. I would see that Keel sees a sort of a demon haunted world. I mean, and when he says a demonologist, he doesn't mean that he's He's not suggesting that he's He's the Warrens, He's not Earl of the Rain. He's not saying he's an actual demonologist. He's just basically saying this is a demon haunted world. And that's what I've been studying for the last forty years. But he does mean it with that sort of menace, I would say.
Speaker 7: And the thing about this film, I think groups like creation ministries and answers in Genesis are very good at cherry picking right and finding people who have authority on a particular topic and homing in on the one quote that really makes their point and sort of sweeping other things under the rug. Keel and the Mockman prophecies basically suggest that the ancient Israelites were being tricked by the entities. Yeah, and that the Arc of the Covenant has these electrical powers because it's basically a machine the entities told them to build. Of course, none of that is going to show up in the Alien Intrusion movie. Keel's ideas are kind of held up as being sort of good research that leads us closer to the truth of what these entities are.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the thing in reading and reading Nick Redfern's final Events, like I again, because of the recent revelations about the DoD Ands more sort of thinking about and seeing who's involved, I'm like, you know, maybe he's describing an actual group of some kind and in sort of their interaction with more parapsychological uri Gellar led how put off John Alexander groups inside inside the government. But the thing is, at one point, the sort of leap that he suggests this Collins Elite made only kind of makes sense, like that the fact that they would have seen Crowley and his his contact with this spirit called Lamb, which has only in recent times been allegedly tied into gray aliens and blah blah. Basically, the point is, parts of it only makes sense if you actually know your ufology stuff, and they have to sort of sand parts off to put it in here. But that's been done, or allegedly been done. I have the page by the way for the alien intrusion thing up and it is guy. I'm alone and I'm looking at the credits. I see Nick Redfern, I see person in Johnny Hunt. I don't who that is. The next one is Norio Hayakawa. So did he showed up in the film?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: What was his role in the film? I'm curious. I have a reason for asking.
Speaker 1: He was if I remember correctly, and I could verify this later, but I believe he was along the same lines talking about the I don't remember if he explicit in many religious comments, but he seemed to be paralleling the comments from the guy from from Korea that the whatever the physical explanation of aliens is, that it's not thisly extraterstrial craft, therefore it fits in with the demon hypothesis.
Speaker 5: I remember thinking during the film that he was like the more reasonable gentleman. Yeah, he was a more reasonable reflection of the gentleman from South Korea.
Speaker 3: So Nori Ohayakawa's primary calling card within ufology, and I think he sort of backed off this a little has been he was for a long time the primary purpose person interested in studying the Dulcet, the Dulcet legend. Do you all know the Dulcet legend.
Speaker 1: That's the secret military base beneath the Dulce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the La the Archilada mountain ridge in northwestern New Mexico that is tied into Paul Benowitz all these other things. But basically, there's this legend that appears to have been at least partly seated potentially by a member of the Air Force in the nineteen eighties, Richard Dodi into the euthological and that gets really complicated. But of a horrifying underground and I'm just going to say, we've been talking about religion and demons. Just listen to everything. I'm about to say. A horrifying underground base where there are humans and aliens that have made a pact and they kidnap people and they do horrible, horrible experiments on large numbers of people, and this emerges in the late seventies early eighties, and that literally Level six is referred to as the Hell level because of all the terrible things that are done to people there. And in reality, while the government made this pact, according to the legend, everything went horribly wrong. The aliens double crossed them, and they've been there for far longer, and there's deeper, deeper levels that the human zone of access to, and eventually they killed all the humans, or they were a bunch of them killed in a firefight, and now it's this, it's pretty much Hell under New Mexico. And so Dulcie has become this very sort of infamous thing that most ufologists don't think. There's necessarily a lot too, but it's a kind of beacon on what I believe Jerome Kart called the dark Side, sort of theoretical approach to UFO conspiracy theory. The fact that they're talking to him is fascinating.
Speaker 7: And Christopher Partridge, who's a religion scholars, yes, and basically looking at how when this phenomenon begins in the fifties, the aliens are very angelic. There are space brothers. I think Carl Jung called them technological angels, and then by the period that you're talking about, it's the opposite, right there. Demons live underground, they torture people, and Partridge I think kind of suggests that, you know, Christianity has just permeated our culture so thoroughly that this is just sort of naturally the way that these legends are going to take shape.
Speaker 3: And I think he's not wrong. I also, though, as we've sort of all been I think kind of nosing around, I think that it's going both ways. And I'm one of my favorite authors is Michael Barkoon and his discussion of sort of forbidden knowledge and the idea that once you have some ideas and kind of conspiracy culture and in the cultic milieu, they all start to well, they start to hybridize, like we've been talking about, and these ideas coming for people like Keel and coming for people like Valet and frankly I'll just drop this because we know I was going to go there. Coming from their ancestors, people like Charles Fort and people like the fiction writer HB. Lovecraft of a demon haunted ancient aliens world are influencing the other side. And I would say that the two are sort of influencing each other, which is how you end up with Norio Ohayakawa and Nick Redfern in a Christian apologetic UFO demon documentary.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean one thing that you know, some theologians have said about the kind of fundamentalists movement and its claims that the earth is five thousand years old and biblical and airancy, which are both positions of creation ministries international, is that this has kind of changed what Christianity is about. Right. It's taken a text that has many meetings and it's kind of actually said, well, really, this is about history and cosmology and geology, and that's kind of the most important thing to it. So while these movements present themselves as being very conservative, they're actually it's something very new, right, that's a very new way of reading the Bible and interpreting ms to say, and I think we're seeing something similar. So just as the fundamental really begins in the beginning of the twentieth century in response to Darwin, Yeah, and so called Hierachrism of the Bible, and it sort of makes this new form of Christianity that's very concerned with kind of the discourse of science and the authority of science. It didn't exist before, and we may be seeing a similar move now, right, Well, we're seeing this kind of new brand of Christianity that is about theories of the paranormal, and it sort of begins to look increasingly like the people that it is in dialogue with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you throw in into this conspiracy theory, which is never far behind these topics, all of this starts to get very political.
Speaker 1: Also, well, yeah, that's there. I guess one of the things that I'm curious about is you've got this is an easy way for a sort of an evangelical foothold, or at least an incursion into the euthology world. You know, it's a big production. I mean, I don't know what it costs exactly, but this was not a small thing, and I don't know if it's going to have an effect because they didn't have people there. You know, I didn't see John three to sixteen come up on screen, you know, some of the classic sort of things I would have expected an evangelical conversion sort of approach I didn't see. But what I did see was a straight up Hey, you know, if you're a Christian, you should be concerned about uthology. You should care because this is the work of demons, right. So I don't know how it works as outreach, but I am curious as to how it works as far as latching itself into this mix, because there's no orthodoxy here as far as that goes. This is another example of I guess, using your term hybridism, where you're taking something they're glombing into something that's not really a religion in trying to pick out the pieces they like well.
Speaker 3: And bar Koon's term for that is improvisational apocalypticism. Ooh, I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So it didn't feel apocalyptic, but it definitely felt like how it felt like a war, Like I don't know what the right word is for that, but it felt like this was a pitting us versus them, whatever they are.
Speaker 7: But it actually was unusual to me how not apocalyptic it was. I assumed Christian's talking about UFOs is going to be this is a sign of the end times, right, you know, maybe left and I didn't see that. So that does suggest this is something new.
Speaker 3: And this could be again maybe Keel and people like Keel the this is a permanent part of our reality kind of effect. Possibly, I think you're right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think if they've accepted Keel and Ballet enough to think that this is more or less normal. This isn't some new dispensation that began in nineteen forty seven signaling the end times, it's more or less okay and normal.
Speaker 1: So going back to my personal feelings on this is I don't personally mind people trying to deal with what I would suspect is sleep paralysis in a variety of ways. If if you have sleep paralysis problems in praying helps you with it, great, you know, but I don't you know, my personal experience was it wasn't effective. So I'd like to see some clinical trials on that or something. I just don't know. I mean, it's the kind of it's kind of the the I think the harm here is that if you tell people that, if they say, you know the name of Jesus Christ, and it will drive away these alien invaders that are actually demons, and then it doesn't work, then it becomes they even threw in the you know, real Christians versus the just wow walk the walk versus talk the talk kind of people.
Speaker 3: Well, the one thing I do want to add here is that's been a that is not a new idea like that has there has There has been for I would say at least twenty years, this sort of dialogue within the out of abductee community that oh the author so they'll point at you know, there was at one point the sort of the trifecta of abductee rights. There were others, but there was There was John Mack, the Harvard psychologist. Oh god, I'm forgetting his same, Bud Hopkins, but they were both in there, and David Jacobs. Now David Jacobs is the one of those three that's still alive and he's talked about hybrid invasions. Bud Hopkins was was sort of your X files like medical experimentation aliens, and John Mack was more they're here to warn us about ecological disaster. But there was always this undercurrent within the abduction community that if you if you said the Lord's Prayer or if you invoke Jesus, it would end this. And this is not new, and there was always the idea that the abduction people are not talking about this. This was the dirty secret. Hm.
Speaker 1: I never could get it to work, but I you know, that was just my experience.
Speaker 7: Well, and we do know that Bud Hopkins would hypnotize people and sometimes they would recall details that he thought just didn't fit and so just delete them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Apparently this element was one that all three of them, allegedly and again this is something I've heard, were like, let's not talk about that. Let's not talk about that at all. Yeah. And if you go back to was it Betty Andreasen who's often considered the second or third kind of on the record alien that ductee in American culture, Her visions or whatever you want to call them, were fairly explicitly religious in nature, unlike say Betty and Barney Hill, but hers were and that goes back to the early seventies, late sixties, I think, late sixties of the Betty andreas in case.
Speaker 7: Joe Jordan's talking about the talk, the talk versus walk. The want Christians was also interesting. There was this great book called Paranormal America by the sociologists who at Baylor who crunts these numbers from the Baylor Religion Survey that asked to bound paranormal topics, including aliens, and one thing they found was that religious people are more likely to believe in paranormal topics, but that regular church attendance correlates negatively, right, So the ideal person to report a paranormal experience would be someone who's religious but doesn't attend church regularly. In other words, a talk to talk, but not a walk the walk Christian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I thought that was interesting that he was finding that pattern as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I guess that makes me ask, then, So you've been talking about like sort of hooks in and outreach. What is the ultimate purpose from what you can tell of this film. Is it to get people who are interested in UFOs? Is it to explain to people why UFOs are demonic? What's this sort of the purpose of this particular film familiar? Again from what you can tell.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I think part of it is CMI had this painful split with answers in Genesis. Genesis has the Creation Museum, they have the Noah's Arc thing. I think partly they just thought, we want market share, we want something to compete.
Speaker 3: So they want to get into pop So they're seeing this as sort of a pop culture outreach.
Speaker 7: I think, yeah, More than anything, this was sort of just this is a way to get on the map and answers in Genesis can't do it, only we can do it. We've got this, this book that people are reading. Let's let's take a chance on this. I also think this was an attempt to sort of be the apostle to the sci fi geeks, particularly by having the narrator emphasize his credentials, as you know, being on the show Smallville. So I think and they sort of thought, this is another angle we can take towards discrediting the Big Bang theory and evolution. Right, if we can get you to think UFOs or demons, maybe we can get you to think that these are false scientific theories as well well.
Speaker 5: I think in going back to this idea of the sacred canopy that we talked about before, I mean, this is a way of like for CMI a very demonstrably showing Look, Christianity can explain this, and these people are now part of our sacred campy aliens don't challenge us. We have engulfed them into our idea in our worldview.
Speaker 3: That and that very much fits with what I saw in person with the alien resistance thing, Like they were not afraid to let these people in and talk. You know, there's like, go ahead, We've got this covered.
Speaker 7: And I think at the end of the film, Gary Bates says, and I think he was being very honest about this. He says, it grieves me that people have these these problems with aliens and they don't think to come to the church. Right, we are the ones who should be equipped to help you if you're having this kind of problem, and we need to sort of let people know that we're the place you should go to.
Speaker 3: Not I don't know what.
Speaker 7: Else he was thinking, the History Channel, paranormal websites, right, something something like that's that's again.
Speaker 3: That is an excellent insight, I think, because you see a lot of the so we haven't mentioned. But if you're interested at all in ancient alien stuff at all, obviously go check out Jason Colovito's blog. But he has documented really well that there is that often in many times, the great enemy sort of in the kind of populist response to ancient alien stuff is not mainstream science. I mean, they all kind of poo poo that, but it's it's literally what we're talking about sort of a demonic or a religious conspiratorial mindset versus the San Shan aliens mindset. And I think the thing that really pointed this out there was there was this film that many of my students are actually very familiar with, the YouTube focused film called Ancient Aliens Debunked, and it's gotten millions upon millions of views. But it was coming from a religious perspective, but it was not advertised as such until you watch it and you realize it's invoking the deluge and giants. But I think that actually really pointed out that in many senses, the potential audience for both of those cells, if you want to put it that way, are the same people or potentially the same people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's and I think many many great arguments were made in that video, but you're right, they most of it's fine, yeah.
Speaker 3: Until they're like, also, by the way, the flood's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, So I'm not envious, but I do understand that the ultraterrestrial hypothesis is a perfectly rational way to deal with the fact that there's no physical evidence for the things that many people are experiencing, and it can sort of explain away why we have no evidence because these things are coming from another dimension, and the reality is that the skeptical alternative, which I've been calling the nul terrestrial hypothesis, is there's nothing there. Everything that we're having is people misunderstanding phenomenal misunderstanding things that they're seeing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's problems of human perception, not problems of things that we just don't understand right.
Speaker 3: Or not even problems I would say features features.
Speaker 1: It's not as exciting, uh, but it fits into a world where you can actually test things and it comes out, you.
Speaker 3: Know, on bat you know. I mean if if you believe you live in a magical spirit in demon and trickster haunted world, Yeah, there's a certain aspect of like again, re enchantment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's very exciting and magical. I just don't think it's real. So but it but I am concerned about its market share in the in the in the psyche of pop culture and what's I think maybe one of the most ironic things is that, uh, if, if natural selection is real, which I think it is, that the idea of sort of Dawkins's mimetics means that what will end up coming out of this will be the parts that people like will stick and the parts that people don't want, and you'll end up with a hybridization that will, in at least somewhere become a new view of the role over religion as ties into eupology. Maybe not new, but at least it'll have evolved.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So what could be more bizarre and fitting than that that that the anti evolution people themselves are actually demonstrably showing how ideas can evolve over time.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm pretty sure. I'm just going to answer with I'm not sure it was demons, but it was demons. It's pretty much where I'm going there.
Speaker 1: I noticed we've been talking for like an hour and fifteen minutes, and I do have to edit a little bit out, but I do like to keep the episodes around sixty minutes. Is there anything you guys would like to add that we haven't sort of naturally segued into.
Speaker 7: I can't think of much.
Speaker 8: I mean, this has been actually very informative for me.
Speaker 5: I was mostly a bystander to this, and Joe tends to drag me to all sorts of crazy things, and so promised me there'd be a pint of beer afterwards.
Speaker 1: I with him.
Speaker 3: That's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: I did mine up front. I should have done it afterwards. That would have been very smart.
Speaker 7: Don't take your significant other to this film?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I was so glad I took a friend instead of a wife. Yeah no, but you know good on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Right if we if we had a movie theater in town, I might have seen it, but I'd have to get in a car in the snow, so I did not see it. The only thing I would I would add to this is I will try to watch this when it comes to a place that I can actually see it, because I am actually very very curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'll agree.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: It should have been about thirty minutes shorter.
Speaker 3: So I think everything should be shorter when it comes to media.
Speaker 7: So it's shorter.
Speaker 8: It just kept going, Oh is so bored?
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so sorry. I've hears you going.
Speaker 3: Though I'm highly selling it, I'm just saying and that's probably fair. Well.
Speaker 1: I I'm one of those people who went to see Expelled with Ben Stein, and so.
Speaker 3: I've still never seen that.
Speaker 1: I do have something positive to say about this movie. It didn't go full hit, so good for them. Ben Stein's little film ended with a giant Poe argument. I was like, oh, come on now, is that Poe or is that the was Godwin's right?
Speaker 3: Sorry? God, yeah, god Godwin argument. No, so there was no Nazi bell, there was no.
Speaker 1: Relatively Nazi free So good for them.
Speaker 3: Well then I don't know if I'll make it on the History Well these days, I'll make it on History Channel. Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I want to thank you all for coming and spending some time on Sunday evening, and I really appreciate you guys coming back to talk to me.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now Monster, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and you just heard a roundtable discussion with religious studies experts Natasha Michels and Joe Lacock and archaeologist Jeb card As. We talked about the connection between John Kiell's ultraterrestrial hypothesis are the ut H and the new film Alien Intrusion, a creationist film tying Evangelical Christianity into ufology. I do not know if the UTCH is really gaining market share or if my increasing recognition of it in paranormal literature is merely confirmation bias, but it seems to be popping up more and more, and perhaps someone with the time in academic training can see if a literature survey supports my suspicion. What concerns me is that the UTCH is unfalsifiable. We've talked about this before, using Carl Popper's idea that in order for an idea to be considered scientific, it needs to be testable and falsifiable. The UTCH, by its very nature, is untestable. It is the invisible magic dragon that Carl Sagan talked about in his book The Demon Haunted World. As such, I hope that serious enthusiasts of the paranormal and cryptozoological will continue to reject it as the research dead end it truly is. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on the show are those of myself, my respective guests, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash Support. That's monster talk dot org forge Slash Support. There we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. I hope you enjoyed this episode. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. Thank you so so much for listening.
Speaker 6: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, Then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 3: I'm not responding to anything that's happening right now.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're editing also all of what we just talked to.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, got it.