Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiots, the kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 6: All right, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let's get it started. Let's get another week started here Coffee and Company, fueled Beth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, that's me. If you didn't know that, now you do. Another voice you'll hear today is Austin Montgomery. Who's alongside. That's me, and we're happy to have you. We're happy to have everybody here.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 6: It's coffee and company, meaning if you're here with us, if you're listening, you are your company. You're a guest essentially, but we don't want you to feel like a guest. Make yourself at home and enjoy yourself for these next three hours chick your feet up exactly, and just if you do have to, you know, do stuff to where you can't just be relaxing, feed up. Just know you can take us with you. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app Listen live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot com. We've got super Bowls set and clearly there's a lot of fatigue with really both these teams. And I've often tried to embrace greatness whenever it comes to sports, because you know, there are athletes, teams, dynasties. I guess that become pretty easy to dislike you get tired of them. I mean, I think fatigue is a real thing in sports as a viewer, but I feel like, more often than not, when that's happened in my life as a fan, I've been able to, you know, not let it consume me, right like, not make it to it's not let me got to get to the point where I just don't want to watch, because there are teams that I just genuinely don't like or don't want to see win. But I don't know if I'm gonna be able to do it. I cannot imagine that I'll avoid the super Bowl because I just I mean talk about fomo, like if like if the super Bowl's on and everybody, because socially, there's not a person I know that that is not doing something for super Bowl. Rather it be I mean, I shouldn't say doing something. Maybe you're not going to a party, but like it's appointment viewing for a lot of people, even if you're not like a big sports fan. Clearly sports a big part of my life. So it's not like I'm saying here I'm so upset that I just don't want I won't watch. I'm gonna watch, but man, the fatigue is at an all time high. And I can acknowledge greatness with Mahomes and the Chiefs, I can even acknowledge maybe not greatness, but like the Eagles, they have a very great franchise, they have a winning culture. This is their second time there in three years. They're not that far removed from winning one with Nick Foles, so you know they're they're great too. But man, I just I don't like either of these teams really, And I'm sure when this thing kicks off next Sunday, it'll just be automatic for me. I want to have to think about it at all. I'm gonna be cheering for the Eagles. I just imagine that's what will take place. But I think it just seemed like last night the haters know that they're haters for reasons that are you know, really just they fall under being a hater, right, Like I don't I've said this many times since the Mahomes and the Chiefs have really been in this position, which has been a long time folks, Like, I know, they've won, they've won two in a row. This will be the three peat if they get it done. But even before the first one here of this potential three peat, like they were the face of the NFL when it comes to their franchise, right once, once the Patriots kind of faded away, it became the Chiefs. And even before then, the Chiefs were already sort of a big deal in the NFL. So I've always felt like, man, I wish they were a little bit more easy to hate. I think Travis Kelce is a pretty easy guy to know, can't stand Yeah, I mean, and I think he probably would even you know, like tell you that, like that's kind of part of his brand. But ay reads not easy to dislike. Yeah, I don't know many Chiefs fans. I think if I did live around them, then maybe it'd be a little easier. But one of my bigger and I'm sure Kentucky fans feel the same way. And Austin I know. You know this when you think of like the you know, the anti Kentucky vibe that Louisville fans have and vice versa.
Speaker 3: On the other.
Speaker 6: Side, because players, coaches and all that, they come and go, you don't maybe maybe you do think of a specific fan, like maybe if you're a Louisville fan and you're a hater of Kentucky, maybe you just think of Mad Jones, And if you do, I get it, Like I understand, but like you just think of their fan base in general, and you know that not every fan is the same and all that kind of stuff. But like with the Chiefs, I really don't know what makes them so hateable other than the fact that they're really really good. Like Pat Mahomes last night, he did the weird he messed up trying to spike the ball and then he kind of, you know, he had fun with it and you know, tried to make I guess, make fun of himself. Like I think he seems to be a pretty likable guy. Like I haven't watched the show, but it hit me last night. I think the reason that the Quarterback show that I have not yet watched on Netflix that's now really old. I think they've done like two seasons or something. Yeah, but everybody tells me that like Pat Mahomes seems like a pretty down to earth, chill guy that like, you probably won't think he's like the best dude in the world if you watch it, but you'll probably find him pretty hard to really dislike. Because Yeah, and one thing that I think that he has done well that like, I think he deserves more credit for. I don't really know how you go out of your way to do it because it has nothing to do with him as a player. But like his family have been huge distractions and have been, you know, awful, Like they're the ones who are really easy to dislike. His wife not as much anymore, but even every now and then, she still like just wants to inject herself into a story when she's not needed. Uh huh, and she just I mean again, this is me being honest with you. It shouldn't matter. But her voice alone, I'm like out, no, no, I'm out on her. And then there is a clown, an absolute clown that that has had Jackson. Yeah, that has been arrested for some awful stuff and I think charges were at some point drop, but like there was video surveillance of what he he seems like a real piece of work.
Speaker 3: It's dad. Hopefully he gets help, but it's dad, I mean his dad.
Speaker 6: If it wasn't Patrick Mahomes, you know, the senior, he might have been prison for as many du wise as he had. Dude, So all that's happened, and yet he's never publicly like making excuses for them, like he kind of just you know, like that would be tough to deal with. So I did a lot of thinking last night, like am I about to like embrace the Chiefs in Hell? No, I can't do it, But I just want to have something to root for in the Super Bowl, And when it starts, I'm going to be rooting.
Speaker 3: For the the Eagles. I think it'll come naturally.
Speaker 6: But I don't like the Eagles either, And I guess I'm I'm not doing what a lot of others are doing because I've seen this and I don't know if it's just like something to do for attention.
Speaker 3: But there are some people that are like, look, I.
Speaker 6: Didn't I never really liked them, but man, I'm kind of I'm kind of just being the devil's advocate here. I kind of like the Chiefs only because of how many people hate them. And you do see that from time to time, right, Like somebody is so hateable, and then all of a sudden, you know it's worked for them to where they they People find redeeming qualities in people like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this is the matchup.
Speaker 6: Neither of us want it, right, and it's the one we got, and I mean, I guess, I mean we'll we'll. I mean, I say, we'll see what happens. I have a very hard time seeing seeing the Chiefs lose. But then again, the Eagles have looked really impressive throughout the entire postseason, and I've mentioned it here and there over the last few weeks as the playoffs have gotten started, like they're not only good, Like I didn't realize they had a phenomenal season and they're playing really well right now, so maybe they will in fact get it done. But I think a Chief's three pet is probably what's most likely.
Speaker 3: And I'm just curious, like what.
Speaker 6: The reaction will be, because what else can be said? Right, Like, I think it'll be a lot of folks acknowledging. Yeah, Ara dynasty. Yeah they're great, mahomes get some favorable calls and they're really good, but man, I hate them.
Speaker 3: Like, don't you feel like that'll be that'll be the reaction for most.
Speaker 5: I just can't stand that meathead Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't stand to see him up there on the Winter Circle doing the you gotta fight for your right to party or because you kind of look like him and he should stop it. He's such a d bag and you see him acting like that, and it makes you makes you feel bad because you're like, wait a second, that guy looks like me.
Speaker 3: He needs to carry himself a little bit exactly.
Speaker 5: Or maybe I could just be him, except I'm unathletic, and I'm like, I don't put my mind to things.
Speaker 6: I think you've got all the good traits that he doesn't have, though oh.
Speaker 2: Of course I probably got a better beard than he does. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 6: Think you look like him. Is the is the is the facial hair that's what really stood out. And you're pretty tall too.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit. I can hard one.
Speaker 6: You didn't you didn't expect me to be guessed, and you have no the first ten minutes of the show.
Speaker 5: Here like it purely there we are purely unletted gas up too.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that not diesel work.
Speaker 6: I I I'm sure there are many And I'm not asking, like for people to call in and like make this part of the show, but I am, and I guess this is you know I'm asking.
Speaker 3: But then again, I don't really want to make it a huge thing. But I just thought.
Speaker 6: About this right before the show started, and I probably could have done a little more prep to maybe answer my own question if it didn't come to me at about two fifty eight. But was there fatigue with Jordan and the Bulls? I mean again, you see, I would have know that was kind of so hourly in my time. I remember that era, but I was young. I mean I was I was between like eight seven and I was feeling like seven and ten during that run of the Bulls, and I remember being a big deal. I mean, it was all anybody talked about. But and I'm sure there were haters, like people that didn't want to keep seeing Jordan and the Bulls. When I remember as a kid knowing that Jordan got calls that other people didn't like. I remember my dad we watched you know, the Bulls and the Pacers play, and it was a weird thing for me as a kid because I was a diehard Pacers fan. Really, when I thought the pay if the Pacers had their best team, Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, Jalen Rose, Like, I'm sure it's just what I tell myself to feel better about my Pacers, But like, I feel like I would have been able to see Reggie and the guys win a ring had they not had to go up against you know, the Bulls and Jordan, and then after that it was Kobe and Shaq. So I'm sure that's just what I tell myself to feel better about it. But like, even knowing that Jordan apparently got some calls that you know, that other players didn't get, I just there could not have been this level of like just people being tired of seeing it. And I'm thinking, okay, well, maybe it's just because they were that great. You knew you were witnessing something that special to where you didn't even really let anything distract you from that. You just knew you're watching this legendary team with the guy that you know is Michael Jordan. I think even in the nineties, people knew Michael Jordan forty years later it roughly thirty years later was going to be remembered as an ultimate legend. So aren't we seeing the same thing here with Patrick Mahomes. I mean, this guy's about to win his four Super Bowl. He's not thirty years old, is he? I mean, I don't think so old as Patrick Mahomes like he. I mean's got to be like twenty seven. You got in the league when he was like twenty eight, and when you look at yeah, he's twenty nine years old, he'll be he'll be thirty thirty incep he's twenty nine, he'll be thirty in September. But again, he's been in the league since twenty seventeen and he's been insanely good since he became their starter. We're talking about a guy who has I mean, I don't know what is what the record is, but he's certainly he has some type of record already as far as wins in the playoffs, and it might be win percentage, which of course, you know, would make total sense. But like, this guy's twenty nine years old. I don't see him slowing down. And yeah, he maybe wasn't as flashy, his stats weren't as great this year, but none of that's gonna matter with him. If they keep winning in the postseason and he keeps winning Super Bowls and Super Bowl MVPs, I mean, he's going to either He's going to even further his legacy, which has already said as one of the best of all times. So again, it sounds weird kind of saying that that Jordan's greatness is comparable to what Mahomes is doing now, but I mean it is. What I think is the biggest different is that the Internet, like social media, I mean the Internet in general, I suppose, but like Jordan benefited from there not being as much access, like you know what I mean, like there wasn't there wasn't camera phones back then. I'm not saying he was like this bad guy or anything like that, but it seems like Jordan in that era.
Speaker 3: And look, maybe I'm way off here.
Speaker 6: I'm thirty six years old, so I mean I remember Jordan playing for Chicago, but I wasn't reading the newspaper or you know, listening to I mean, in fact, that kind of media didn't really exist back then, right like you had your you had your Capital J columnists that would write some pretty scathing pieces about players and whatnot. But I mean, it was just a different world. So like if I wanted to hear haters of Michael Jordan when I was seven years old and nineteen you know, nineteen ninety four or ninety five or whatever it was, I wouldn't even.
Speaker 3: Really know where to look for that.
Speaker 6: You have to go read like a New York Times article. So I mean, I guess I'm trying to self diagnose here. I know that I'm a hater and I don't really want to be. But then again, like there are like there are see I'm trying to think, Yeah, the Warriors, I mean that I hated the Warriors and therefore, like I was all in on rooting for the Calves when it was whenever we had I mean, if you can call the rivalry, and that's what really soured me on the NBA is whenever, Like they wouldn't acknowledge that that it was a rivalry, Like they're too cool for rivalries, which the NBA's got bigger issues than just that. But my point is, like, I don't I want them to be more hateable, and yet everybody hates them, so therefore I kind of at times feel like, all right, well it's not just me. Everybody doesn't like these guys, but I mean other than other than the Taylor Swift stuff, which again, like I still don't know how legit all that is. Clearly it's not totally made up. But either way, like that just made them annoying, you know what I mean. They didn't make them hate they didn't make them hate it.
Speaker 5: I think that's what sent everyone over the edge, that they were tired of it and they were just sick of.
Speaker 2: Oh ye, there's a narrative.
Speaker 5: Well, they show her every single cutaway, so I'm sick of even though that's not the truth. They do show her a lot, but I don't know, there's just something that's weird about that whole situation. I was once a swiftye way back in the day. I loved I loved the country music Taylor Swift, and I like some of her pop stuff too, but understood like the type of man that she did not want and every single song that she sung about was about like these d bags like you just said, and then she then then she's all of a sudden with one. And I know he had that catching up with Kelsey where he's just swerving women letting right.
Speaker 6: I forgot a lot about his brand before he was with her, Like he to me, he was like the.
Speaker 3: He was a gronk.
Speaker 6: And I don't mean to do like the stereotypical tight end thing, but like it's almost like he kind of wanted to be like gronk the party or the knucklehead.
Speaker 3: And look, he the.
Speaker 5: Guy that looks you know, I mean, he looks pretty and he's a handsome man, especially when he was younger. He is an athlete, he was built, so he is obviously using his platform. And I think how they ended up getting together was like as a starter show that the start of there, Yeah, it was something else. The start of their relationship started like at the beginning of that aristour a couple of years ago, and he said he answered a question on it and he said something like Taylor Swift holler at me or something like that. So it's just like using this platform and that's how he got her. Like you probably wouldn't be with her if you just weren't a part of the most famous team right now. But once again, I probably come off as like an absolute hater for that, and go ahead and bury me all you will, But that's just what I can't stand. It's there's nothing to dislike about my homes. I really do like Andy Reid.
Speaker 2: I like some of it.
Speaker 3: Ye same here.
Speaker 2: I love how they could just take a team up.
Speaker 5: They could just get rid of Tyreek Hill, they're their best receiver that they've ever had.
Speaker 2: And go out win a championship. They can just.
Speaker 5: Absolutely get destroyed by the Bucks in the Super Bowl because they don't have an offensive line, and then just restructure it the next year and then they're back like they respect that.
Speaker 6: They're absolutely in the midst of a dynasty. I don't know if there's a set criteria. I think people kind of selectively choose what is and what isn't. But I can't imagine how, even if they don't win it next Sunday, which they probably will, how you couldn't say that this is this is absolutely a dynasty, and really hearing a lot now as far as it's not one.
Speaker 3: But I think even the early stages of it.
Speaker 6: There was a lot of resistance, which again there are people probably listening right now that are like, yeah, you know what, Nick, maybe you're out of something. There's not necessarily one thing that makes them so easy to dislike, but man, I dislike him, and I know the mahomes getting favorable calls is clearly. I mean, that's been one of the bigger talking points in the playoffs this season. But I mean that's not his fault. It's the ref's fault for like rewarding him of that. I mean, maybe you don't like it what he wants, and that's fine, but I think if you were in this position and you knew that it might work, then maybe you do it. And I didn't see much yesterday that I mean, clearly there were a couple of instances where it was it was a you're just gonna have to make a decision here, like right, like the interception that they ended up ruling was that was that was late?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That was was that in that game?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 6: It was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the interception that was I mean.
Speaker 6: Trying to think of who the receiver was that went up to get it, but then it looks it should have been it should have been in my opinion and incompletion, because I'm not sure anybody really on the ground even if Yeah ever even had had the ball. But I mean, I didn't see anything yesterday that I'm that stands like even if I did, I probably forgot about it because I don't. I've never believed that they win because of that, you know what I mean? Like I wish I could embrace that, because then it would give me a real thing to latch onto. As far as why I can't stand these sobs, but I think even when they do get the benefit of the doubt from the refs or they get a call that maybe others wouldn't get, I still feel like what it comes down to is the reason it stands out to people as far as them getting preferential treatment by the officials is because they have that many haters that don't want to see them win. And oftentimes what they do is they just make you pay when you do something stupid, and they don't do as many stupid things. And you know, that's what great teams do, So you almost have to be perfect to be Yeah, and and the Chiefs and the Eagles is who it's going to be. And I think, look that was what the expectation was when it comes down to like spreads and whatnot.
Speaker 3: But man, I just I don't know.
Speaker 6: For some reason, I thought of one of the upsets would in fact happen, right, the Bills would maybe breakthrough, or the Commanders could still ride some magic. But nope, we get Eagles, we get Chiefs, and you know, it is what it is. Maybe by the time we get to Super Bowl Sunday, I'll be more energized. But like I'm in a weird way, I'm kind of glad we get a week off of football because I just, you know, I need some time because I'm not ready to embrace this matchup. But it's a Super Bowl, right, It's the biggest sporting event of the year in this country.
Speaker 5: Here, So for the parties, the Buffalo Chicken dip, some of the prop, weird prop.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they're gonna have. It's a show. It's a show, all right.
Speaker 6: We got to run. But we've got a lot more time left here. First segments in the books. But we'll talk some college basketball. Never again, guys, we can't have a week off of Louisville basketball when they're riding the momentum they're riding right now. And they didn't play this weekend, of course, but still some things we need to discuss that happen over the weekend.
Speaker 3: With this basketball.
Speaker 6: They're back in action tomorrow in a game that should have a little more juice to it.
Speaker 3: Than it does.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna revisit the whole wake Forest thing because man, they are I mean, they're a good team in my opinion, and Louisville, if they beat them tomorrow, stands very little to gain. And if wake Forest, you know, ends up missing the tournament, like it's their own fault, I think. And we'll get to that Kentucky lost. That was fun. It gains bandy and we'll take you up to six o'clock. So hang out right here on SportsTalk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 6: So after last weeks ninety eight to seventy three victory, Louisville is now up to number twenty one from twenty five in the Apeople. A lot of teams that were ranked lost last week. In fact, looks like a lot of teams really overall. I mean, look, there's the same amount of games every week and there's winner and there's winners and there's losers. But I feel like we've had two straight weeks, and I guess usually you get this in conference play when you're about a month into it, where you know you'll see In fact, I feel like you can go back and look at national championship teams, even Final four teams, and there's always like a stretch around January early February where you know they lose three out of four or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 6: So I'm sure some of these teams that have taken some l's as of late, you know, it's just part of it. I mean, heck, the SEC is a loaded conference. I think the Big Twelve is not as top heavy, but I think there's depth there to where you're gonna see a lot of teams. I mean, in fact, I think Houston's in the driver's seat right now in the Big Twelve after their win against Kansas. But I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if, just like the SEC, you end up seeing a league champion that has more losses than you typically expect a team that wins the league to have. But Louisville up to twenty one, Kentucky now at number twelve after their loss to Vane. We'll talk some some basketball a little bit later on, but you know, rankings like the AP pole, it really is. I mean, I find myself not even really paying a whole lot of attention to it in recent years, and I now know it's because, I mean, the team that I care about, that I would want to be ranked, was never going to be ranked, and now they are. So just seeing that number next to your name when you play it doesn't do anything for your resume, It doesn't do anything for I mean it does it it quite literally when it comes to like seating in the tournament, which does matter where you're ranked or how often you're ranked during the season, and the app pole means absolutely nothing, but it you know, as a fan of it makes you feel good that your team's in the top twenty five. And you know, those that are objective voters, at least we hope they are, they view your team as one of the twenty five best teams in the country. Again, one of the little things that we used to just get used to to where now you know, we didn't have it for a long time. So Louisville up to number twenty one, Auburn. In fact, the top five remains the same. You've got Auburn at one, Duke two, Iowa State three, Alabama four, and Florida is at number five. And we'll talk some hoops coming up here shortly. Louisville a big game tomorrow against wake Forest, and it sets up nicely where they've got a chance to I mean, when it comes to the rest of the schedule, who you have not played yet in the ACC, and knowing how down the ACC is this year, this is a team that is coming off a loss to Duke. But like wake Forest, I mean, of the teams that you have left on the schedule that you haven't played, I think they're clearly head and shoulders above everybody else, which again says more about the league than anything else. Kentucky they got Tennessee tomorrow, which I mean, I don't know if i'd be one to I don't know if I would want to be limping in to that game against Caliperry on Saturday in Lexington, because I mean, you could still win. Arkansas is not good, but I don't know what I think is going to be tricky about that game is one. What happens tomorrow night in Knoxville, Kentucky finds a way to win there, that would be a big confidence boost forum as you could expect. And the guys playing in this game for Kentucky have no connection to Caliperry at all at all. I mean, they weren't recruited by him, they didn't play for him. I mean, so they're gonna know that, like it's a big game for their fans. They're going to know that that coach on the other sideline is a is a legend at Kentucky and used to coach there. So I mean, part of me says it'll be just another game for them, but I don't know. I feel like the atmosphere there, the intensity there. Heck, I mean, let's be real, Kentucky's gonna have what three players on their on their on the court for them that played at Kentucky a year ago for cal So like maybe they're the ones who you know, there's some there's some real personal proude there. They want to go play for their coach, who you know is going to be booed by fans there. But anyways, we'll get to that later on the the Super bowls Now said as we discussed that was the first segment, just here we are. The fatigue has certainly set in for many people, myself included, and Nate Berlins. Nate Burlinson said something last night after the game, and I I usually can hear this and think, you know what, he's right, but I just I can't get there yet.
Speaker 2: It is to the fan bases out there.
Speaker 4: If you're not a Chiefs fan, that's okay, but resist the urge to fall for the narrative that we're tired of seeing them win, that we might be fatigued of watching KC go to the Super Bowl over and over again.
Speaker 3: You are witnessing greatness.
Speaker 2: And just be happy that you are allowed to be there to see it.
Speaker 6: So I used to be able to hear stuff like that and say, yeah, okay, maybe that's corny, but he's right. Like whenever Lebron and I don't know how many times Lebron's going to be back in the finals, but when Lebron was when I when I was anti Lebron, and I'm not I'm kind of whatever about Lebron.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 6: Here's how I described me with Lebron. I do believe he's one of the best of all time, and I've enjoyed watching him play. I think it's cool to be able to say whenever I'm you know, seventy, god willing I live that long. I can tell my grandkids that I watched Lebron James career from start to finish, because no matter what happens from here on ow, he's going to be viewed as one of the greatest. But also I understand why people don't really care for him, you know, because he's he's Lebron and he's he said, it's not like he's he's a criminal. He's not the worst guy, but like he's also at times been very He's had very little awareness as far as how he comes off to people. And I think when you're somebody like that that's been a phenom, a global celebrity since you were a teenager, it probably is a little tough for you to have awareness like a you know, a normal citizen would. So, you know, when Lebron and the Warriors or Lebron and the Cavs, I just keep saying, Lebron, it was Cleveland. When Cleveland and Golden State kept meeting in the NBA Finals, I got some fatigue, but I was interested because I hated the Warriors so much. That gave me something to really root for whoever was playing the Warriors whenever it was Alabama was at Alabama and Clemson. I feel like that met all the time in college football championshipe like at least three years.
Speaker 3: They played each other, and you know there was fatigue there.
Speaker 6: But I remember thinking, Okay, well I'm watching Nick Saban coach Alabama, which again one of those things that I'll be I'll look back and say I was really it was really cool to be able to see that because I think his run there will be talked about till the end of time. And again, all these things you can say about Mahomes and the Chiefs, but I just I haven't been able to, I guess, grow up when it comes to them and be the mature sports fan that's just going to, you know, say, look like it or not. I'm watching greatness and that's what you want to do. And I've always said if you don't have anybody to root for, you would want to see that the two best teams left are playing.
Speaker 3: I think we have that.
Speaker 6: No, like the Bills had a chance to prove me wrong, the Ravens had a chance to prove me wrong. They couldn't come through, So I think right now, again, I'm just trying to find if you're somebody like me, that's a little bit, you know, not all in here with this matchup because of the fatigue that is set, and I'm trying to find some things that can maybe get us perked up a little bit. And I don't really know if there's anything out there. But again, the fact that you know you're going to watch the two best teams in the NFL, I mean, that's what you'd expect. But how many times in sports do we know there's a team sitting at home that should be there, right, I mean I think even the Ravens could maybe say that. I mean, it's what it could have should have If he didn't win in the in the playoffs, then you don't deserve to be there. But a lot of times in sports, I think you do, in fact have teams, Like in college basketball, it's very common, right, more often than not, the team that you believe is the best in the country did not make it there to cut down the nets at the Final four, because you know it's not easy to do. So for what it's worth, probably not much of anything. At least we can say these two teams, whoever wins this is going to be able to claim they were the best in the in the NFL, and anybody who wins the Super Bowl can say that. But I mean, heck, the last time the Eagles won it, I'm not sure we were saying that, right. You know, it was a long time ago. They were going up against Brady two. Yeah, it was Foles, Nick Foles of all people exactly, which, by the way, what an outlier for his career, right, Like, guy was never anything other than that moment in the Super Bowl and that that season really, which is is kind of crazy.
Speaker 5: But stomp the Vikings out of their magical carpet ride season in that NFC championship game and.
Speaker 3: Then who was Kirk there?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: No, I was case Keing.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I thought. Came in the very next year, That's what I thought.
Speaker 5: And so that that's that's what irritates me, just as being like a salty, begrudging Vikings fan is just like I'm sitting there watching the teams and granted, I mean Washington's really really good too. I think Minnesota plays Washington. There's no way that they win.
Speaker 2: But like watching the Eagles, watching the Bills, watching the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Like seeing that sort of football and big players and big moments, and then just like looking at my team, it's like they're playing a completely different sport, and like just knowing what it takes to win those kind of games and just knowing in the back of my mind, like my team isn't even close to that. That's what kind of gets that. That's what irks me up a little bit. But it's it's my own damn team's fault yep I better.
Speaker 6: So the text line says, Nick, you hit it on the head. There was certainly fatigue with Jordan and the Bulls, but there wasn't social media. Therefore, it just wasn't as big of a thing. I mean, again, that's just a product of it being a different era in society, you know what I mean. Like now, people at any moment can can share an opinion and probably if they don't have a big following or nobody, I mean, it may be an echo chamber, but at least they have the ability to just put it out there and say they're expressing what they want.
Speaker 3: Well, back then, like that wasn't a thing. So, I mean, everything was different in the world.
Speaker 6: So you know, I'm not surprised, because that's the question I asked for those that are just now joining us, like there's clearly some real fatigue here. But when I my first dynasty, the first time, I remember watching sports thinking Okay, this will probably be and I doubt this was going through my mind, this exact you know, thought process, but it was just clear to me, even as a youngster, that what I was watching with Jordan the Bulls was was legendary, something that I'll probably remember forever and everybody will who was able to experience it. But I just don't remember there ever being any level of like hatred and being tired of seeing them continue to win. But one I was young. But also even if that was the case, you wouldn't be able to check the pulse of society like you can now when it comes to you know, the internet. So yeah, one thing we did not talk about when it comes to yesterday's championship games, as we now have the Bills in the Eagles set to face off in the Super Bowl, was the flag that wasn't actually thrown. And I don't mean like a penalty that wasn't called. But I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often in football, and maybe it hasn't, I just don't remember. But with the Chiefs up thirty two to twenty nine, two minutes left in regulation, the Bills had a fourth and five from their forty seven yard line, and right after the play ended, clearly it looked as if it was an unsuccessful thing for Buffalo, which it was. But here's what Jim Nance had to say on CVS. Quote the whole season on the line for Buffalo. Here here they come. He just desperately throws it up in the air incomplete. Kincaid was right there, there is a flag. There was nine seconds of silence between Nance and Romo before Romo said, quote, I didn't see a flag thrown there, and then Nance responds quickly, I'm told there was a flag. Romo then started to analyze the play, with Nance saying in the background, no flag. So before we dive in here. When I saw that and knew that there wasn't a flag thrown and that Romo was kind of correcting Nance, I instantly thought somebody had to tell him that, like that has to be how this works, because again, I'd never really thought about it because I don't really care. Right, if I'm watching a game that I care about and there's a flag, I want to know what the hell the flag's for, Right, I'm not thinking about who's relaying the information to the broadcasters. But because of how quickly they typically will tell you, there's no scenario, especially where they sit like they're viewing that on a TV just like you are, by the way, like they're not. Maybe they've got the ability to see. In fact, I'm sure they do have the ability to see different views, different angles and whatnot in certain instances, but when they're watching it live, they're not watching it like with binoculars. I mean they are, but they have a monitor in front of them, and even if they have great vision, like they're going to see a better view of what's going on by watching these you know, probably eight K camera feeds that are right there on monitors in their broadcast booth. So I just initially thought, well, somebody, hopefully they don't lose their job, but you know, if they do, I'm sure that's one area where you know, because everybody kept saying that was a terrible look, like CBS can't have that happen, And I guess I get it because at the end of the day, this is entertainment and they, I guess, teased fans that wanted the flag, Like again, I don't. I mean, it's just a mistake. I don't think it changed the overall production of the broadcast. But it's not something I can remember ever happening. And I can see why if you're CBS, and especially if you're Jim Nance, you're thinking to yourself, how do we mess that up? Because for nine seconds when it was silent, and if you're a I feel like it's everybody right, if you're a Buffalo fan or you just hate the Chiefs, you're sitting here thinking, all right, what was it? What was it? What are we gonna get here? Is it gonna be fourth and fourth and five or something because of them? Because of you know, of offsides or did they get roughing the pass or something like that. And as soon as Romo said I didn't see a flag, and then Nance said I'm told there was a flag, I realized there was clearly some miscommunication going on. So this is according to Sports Illustrated Jimmy Tranya, who covers sports media for Si. He talked to Nance earlier this morning, and this is what Nance told him. When you have flags on the field, they can be thrown in the secondary and the offensive backfield, all over the place. So there's a spot or that works in coordination with the broadcast team. I'm just taking what information has passed along. I'm scanning the field, and for the life of me, I can't find a flag. But the graphic is up and I'm told which, just which, just part of the chain of communication, I'm told there's a flag. The first thing you do when you're told is you scan the field and identify for your own, for your own, you know, for your own way of looking at it. Then he goes on to say, you know, I think I not to get deep into the weeds here, because it sounds like he used like an entire conversation rather than just a quote from from from you know, the question but Harlan or not Harlan, But but Nance was looking for the flag because essentially the guy they never they never get that wrong, but they did that time. And of course, you know, again, I didn't feel like anybody needed I mean, it was a mistake, and mistakes happened, and when you've got millions and millions of people watching to see if the Bills can stay in this drive, stay alive and maybe knock off the Chiefs. You know, it's a tease and it's a it's it's a goof you don't want to make. But I I don't know, I guess because it's not something I can remember happening before.
Speaker 3: Maybe I just didn't know what to expect.
Speaker 6: As far as like the backlash, but clearly there were a lot of people upset that that's that's the way it played out. But also the radio call, Kevin Harlan and Devin mccordy were doing the Brock doing the game for radio for Westwood One. They apparently have the same spotter and and they Harlan also said flag, So like somebody just thought there was a flag, or maybe it was wishful thinking. I don't know, but uh, yeah, that was the mistake. And again, more than anything, for me, it was just a surprise that we haven't seen that before, because look, I think some guys were like yellow cleats or yellow socks, and I think that's a flag, right. So I didn't get my hopes up because even if they would have gotten a flag. They're like, let's just say they did call like roughing the passer and the bill get a new set of downs. I needed to see somebody kill the Chiefs to think they're dead, right, Like that's the way that was going. Like, even if they would have scored, I would have thought, well, you know, I've seen this movie before. I know what's going to happen with Kansas City. And as much as I hate it, you know, hard to you know, hard to fake it, they're great and they usually win in clutch time and something I think you might have alluded to this briefly when were talking about earlier, Austin, But.
Speaker 3: Like they make it look easy.
Speaker 6: They make it look like they like we would die for our teams to be in this position, right, we would die.
Speaker 3: And they are out there like they're not even caring and it's just.
Speaker 2: You know, throwing in on and seven just out.
Speaker 6: They're having fun with the boys, you know, and like it's crazy. But I'm a hater, all right, quick break will come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton ready here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 6: You know another thing I haven't found myself looking for in a long time, and I wasn't looking for it today is happening to see it the annual McDonald's All American rosters, and Louisville has a McDonald's All American for the first time in a long time, as mckel brown Junior was named to this year's McDonald's All American Team. Kentucky has one player and one native in the game this year, Malaca Moreno, who's at Great Crossing High School in Scott County. He's committed to Kentucky and he also made it, and I guess, yeah, it looks it says here that he is the sixteenth McDonald's All American from Kentucky, not meaning, you know, to go to Kentucky, but you know, plays his high school basketball here in the state to make the game.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't be shocked.
Speaker 6: Cal had a ton of McDonald's Americans, but I'm not sure he ever had one from Kentucky, mostly because there weren't many. There haven't been many that have come out of the state. But yeah, mckel brown Junior is the first McDonald's all Americans. Since anybody know Austin, you have any clue?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me guess. Let me take a guess. It's it's Can I take two guesses?
Speaker 3: Who guesses? You got Sam Williamson that's it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: And twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's gonna be him or VJ.
Speaker 3: King.
Speaker 6: Yep, those were both the last two in fact, And you know Sam, it never, I mean it just never. It never worked out. Clearly he was not and I don't want to not. I mean when you are nominated and you get a chance to be on because there's a lot of nominees, and then of course when they decide the roster, I mean, you carry expectation and expectation about you as a player that he's hard to live up to. And Sam's one of those guys that I got to be honest, it wasn't as if you know he Just give me an example. This is somebody we talked about a couple of weeks ago, Wayne Blackshear, wasn't McDonald's all American wayan black cheer. I mean, although he didn't get drafted into the NBA, he had a really good college career, played for some really good teams and was in a thousand point score at a program like Louisville, So some would still say that, you know, maybe he didn't live up to the hype that comes with it because he didn't become like a lottery pick. But you know, Sam's one of those guys that I mean, he went on to SMU and finished his career and I'm not even sure he was like a full time starter. So you know, he'll be in the group of players they bring up and think, wow, I forgot about that guy or who was that guy?
Speaker 3: So you know, I just I remember being.
Speaker 6: So annoyed by the way in which fans would would, I guess, treat this. And what I mean by that is the rivalry around here when Cal showed up, and really he did it the whole time he was here. I mean, he recruited at an insane high level. No matter how it ends for him at Arkansas, good or bad. I mean, even if he falls apart now, and you know, really falls apart, I think you can always claim that he had the best run we'll ever see when it comes to college basketball recruiting, just because again you've never seen him before. I don't think you'll ever see it again. So because of that, you know, Louisville recruited really well under Patino, they just didn't recruit as good as their rival, which nobody did. Would get players that were good, but because they weren't Burger boys, it's almost as if like we felt like we got a group of duds, and you know that was never the case. Like the Donovan, Mitchell Dingadell Ray Spaulding, Quentin Snyder, those are all like top fifty nationally, top forty thirty depending on where you look, depending on which player you're talking about. They just they fell short because there's there's you know, there's only so many slots that that you know, you have to fill the McDonald's all American rosters. So Kentucky not having Jasper Johnson appears to be a big issue with Kentucky fans. And I don't know why he wasn't listed, because you know, he's I mean, I would have guessed that he would be McDonald's American just considering where he's ranked in the ESPN rankings. Sees he's in the top top twenty. I think he's at like seventeen. I think he's a five star recruit just about everywhere, So I don't know why, but I did say, like it's one of those things that just appeared on my on my algorithm here on Twitter slash x, because it's something everybody's talking about. How could how could Jasper Johnson now be a McDonald's All American. Well, I thought it was because he played for over Tommy Leit. However, they changed that rule meaning if you play for over Time Elite, it used to disqualify you from being eligible for the McDonald's All American Game. Rob Dillingham not being a McDonald's All American, if you remember, that was a big deal because he was, you know, an elite player but didn't get the nod.
Speaker 3: And after that they did the two sides.
Speaker 6: The McDonald's All American Game people and of course the ote over Time Elite. They they somehow figured something out to where you could in fact be a McDonald's American if you played for over Tommy e Leit. So the only reason I could think as to why Jasper Johnson didn't get it, other than maybe they just you know, decided he wasn't quite good enough or they you know, just didn't have a spot for him, would be that maybe he's.
Speaker 3: Because is he a fifth year guy?
Speaker 6: Like you used to be able to and you still can, by the way, Like you can graduate high school and then go to prep school for a year like oh Hill, like Okill Academy, and the other schools like that, Huntington Press, the prep schools Montverd they've produced. I mean, those are high school super teams essentially every year. And now you got guys that go there from like their jute for their junior and senior year. But those those prep schools used to really exist for a year for a year of postgrad, meaning you just needed another year to like if you were a really good player, but you know, you just didn't quite reach your potential, or you had some academic stuff that wasn't Like if you had minor academic stuff, you'd go to prep school. If you had legitimate academic stuff that was going to keep you from qualifying, you go to junior college. So now they don't really exist, meeting these schools four guys that are fifth year. But I wonder if that's still a rule that for example, who was there was probably not a bigger recruit in the country at the time John Wall came out, Well, John Wall was a fifth year guy that went postgrad, meaning he was a year removed from high school when he played his final season before going to Kentucky. So clearly he was like the number one or number two player in the country, but he didn't qualify. Same thing with Terry O's ear. If you remember, Rosier committed to Kentucky out of Shaker Heights up there near Cleveland and had a you know, phenomenal senior season. In fact, when he committed to Louisville, he wasn't really that highly regarded, but he ended up having a really strong senior season, jumped up the rankings. Well, then he had to go prep. He went to Hargrave and played for a year, and at Hargrave, I mean that's where he became kind of a bit in fact at the time, and this is such a nerdy recruiting thing that I remember Terry ended up there was one I think it was when Evan Daniels worked for Scout, which Scout ended up getting I guess absorbed by twenty four to seven Sports. But Scout they had they would include players that were fifth years and fifth year guys in their rankings. So Terry, you know, he was a postgrad guy, and he didn't end up being ranked in a lot of other rankings out there from the competitors like ESPN, I Guess Rivals, but in Scout he was like the number fourteen player in that class, and that at the time would have been And sure enough it worked out because Terros there're still playing in the NBA today. But yeah, McDonald's All American rosters have been set, and I'm not into recruiting like I used to be for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it's just not as important. You still want to bring in really good players that are young. You still are gonna understandably celebrate when your team has McDonald's All Americans. But you know, for Louisville, it's been a while since I've even thought to check the rosters, because you know, it wasn't like I was expecting to see any of Louisville's commits be featured in this event, but sure enough, we've got one now for the first time since twenty nineteen. In fact, I'm trying to think of all the McDonald's All Americans that have come to Louisville in my lifetime, because I know Shane and Wayne were both McDonald's All Americans.
Speaker 3: You mentioned VJ. King, he was one.
Speaker 6: Sam Peyton was one. Yeah, Peyton Siva was in McDonald's All American.
Speaker 2: That's right. He had a great dunk contest. Yeah he didn't win it, did he No.
Speaker 6: In fact, he went I'm not sure if they called that at the time, but he went viral because he actually was doing that. I think his McDonald's An American game was played in Miami, I believe, and he was doing some stuff at the practice. Peyton was that like, I mean like three sixty between the legs dunks with Yeah, I mean like it was. It was really impressive stuff. So the legend, yes, that's right. Who mixtape dot com?
Speaker 3: I remember that? You know that was Scotch Yep, that was that was Uh.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say it wasn't early Internet, but man, that that you know, it's crazy how you mentioning ball of is life Like? To me, that seems like it was a few years ago. Like, dude, that was like fifteen years ago. Those you know, that was that was how you first got Now everybody's got highlight mixes for everybody, but at that in that stage of the Internet, if you had like if you you didn't have a Ball as Life mixtape unless you were a really good player, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And now it's you know, it's much easier.
Speaker 5: I always followed that just because, like that was in the days where cow was ranking in all those players, and I would just see sort of the players that Louisville was kind of looking at and would watch them, and I just thought that that was a measuring stick of Oh, these guys are good to have their own Ball as Life. You know who I really really really wanted and was just like so sad that they never got because I know it was pretty close when it came down to it. But you remember that guy that went to Baylor, Quincy Miller. Oh yeah, Deuce Below, Like those two I remember they were pretty head on close with Baylor Louisville. Oh and then they ended up going to the Baylor.
Speaker 2: But I two of my.
Speaker 3: Favorite high school players asked for money. Is that what happened?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 6: Rick Patino tells Scott Drew hooked him up. Rick Patino tells a story who and that's who he's referring to. He's never said a name, but Below was in It was twenty eleven, which gosh, that was a long time ago. Fourteen years he was, I mean, he was one of the top ten top five players in the country. Him and Deuce were I feel like, I don't think they were brothers, but they were like best friends. Yeah, and they like lived together, grew up together, and they were kind of a package.
Speaker 3: He was, I mean he was.
Speaker 6: He wasn't as highly regarded, but he was still like a top fifty player overall and crazy. They visited Louisville and I'm pretty sure, I mean, it came down to, all right, let's talk money, and Rick was like, no, uh, I mean go. And that's one of those things about Rick that that it's gonna sound like I'm making an excuse for him, because you know, clearly he even if even if I believe that he did nothing wrong, the NAA did what they did and and and clearly Louisville had some issues when he was the coach. But if you really give it some thought, you don't even have to be a diehard Louisville fan or a dier Kentucky fan to understand this. Rick's ego would never let him directly be involved or even have awareness that somebody's getting to pay, somebody's getting paid to play for him, because Rick is of the mindset that you should pay to play for him. Like you know what I mean, Like he's such I mean, his ego would never let it like and that's a whole again get into the weeds here, but like the Katina pal thing, clearly there was at least announce of truth to that. That's disgusting and Louisville's been punished for that.
Speaker 3: We all know that.
Speaker 6: But like for those that think Rick would like want that going on like this isn't even to defend him, it's just to point out something that I think is very common. His ego would never ever let that happen. I mean, and that's what still seems crazy, is that all that could go on and he didn't know. But I think it makes sense that you do everything you can to keep it from him because he would quite literally kill you if you were somebody involved in what went on. And you know, Andrew McGee, I'm sure he's still alive, but maybe he stayed hiding because he's scared of Rick.
Speaker 2: I don't know sure.
Speaker 6: All right, two hours left, keep it locked right here, Let's talk a little college hoops. On the other side, I've already got fatigue from talking about the Super Bowl matchup. But nothing you can do about it but stick with us, don't go anywhere. Two hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety