Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive.
Speaker 2: Glad to be diving in today.
Speaker 1: We're looking at network security, but maybe from a different angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, we're looking at it through the hacker's eye, so to.
Speaker 1: Speak, right actively hunting for those weaknesses before they get exploited.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Our mission here is really to pull back the curtain on what's called hack attacks testing, okay, and show you how organizations can actually run their own security.
Speaker 1: Audits, So figuring out how vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Are found, exactly, how they're discovered, how systems are built just to test for them, and you know what tools bring these hidden dangers out into the light.
Speaker 1: And why should this matter to you listening in.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you're prepping for a meeting or just trying to get up to speed on this stuff.
Speaker 1: Quickly, or maybe you're just curious.
Speaker 2: Right understanding this gives you a fast track, a shortcut really to grasping the complexity of digital security.
Speaker 1: Equipping you with insights into why strong defenses are just so critical today.
Speaker 2: And for this deep dive, we're drawing on some pretty specialized technical sources. Guides on audits using analytical tools the works.
Speaker 1: Looking at how the pros find the holes ethically, of course.
Speaker 2: Always ethically. It's about defense.
Speaker 1: So where do we start with this digital detective work? Building something called a tiger box.
Speaker 2: It's the first step. Yeah, a tiger box.
Speaker 1: And that's not just any old computer, right.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's a system specifically designed tuned really to find potential security weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Like a custom lab for finding vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. It's all about proactive defense, finding the holes before the attackers do, okay, and a really good tiger box A first rate one almost always uses a multiple boot setup.
Speaker 1: Multiple operating systems on one machine.
Speaker 2: Why because different operating systems have their own unique weak points, okay, and you need different tools to probe them effectively. So this multi system approach makes the audit way more comprehensive. You don't miss as much.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So what os foundations are we talking about? Our sources mention a few key ones, Windows two thousand.
Speaker 2: Server yep, that's often part of the mix. And the setup choices are critical, like FAT versus NTFS for the filesystem.
Speaker 1: What's the difference there security wise?
Speaker 2: Well, FAT is a simpler maybe good for smaller drives or if you need MS dels access for recovery, but NTFS, especially for anything over say four hundred megs, is much better. It has transaction logs for recovery, so.
Speaker 1: Less data loss if something goes wrong.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and crucially better file security permissions. You get really fine grained control.
Speaker 1: And beyond the filesystem, things like active directory wyns, dns.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are vital. Active directory for managing users in domains, wnzs for net bios names, dns for translating names to.
Speaker 1: IPS standard network stuff.
Speaker 2: Standard, but also prime targets if they're not locked down. Attackers use them to map your network or hijack services.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Okay. Moving beyond Windows, MACOSX Tiger is also mentioned.
Speaker 2: Why include that because Apple's ecosystem, you know, people think it's inherently cure. Yeah, but it has its own specific vulnerabilities, different attack vectors, right, so you need tools like Apple's developer tools to probe it properly and maybe set up a port scanner infrastructure tailored for it.
Speaker 1: And then there are the Nix systems Unix.
Speaker 2: Linux, absolutely Essential, red Hat, Slackwar, Debian, Solaris, you name it.
Speaker 1: Why are they so important.
Speaker 2: For that raw command line control? They give you incredible flexibility, especially for server side vulnerabilities. They're powerful multi user multitasking.
Speaker 1: Systems, so the multios approach really is about covering all the bases like a Swiss army knife for security testing.
Speaker 2: That's it exactly simulating attacks from every angle possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've built our tiger box, our digital skeleton key. Now what are we looking for? What are those common locks or back doors?
Speaker 2: It's funny a lot of systems practically advertise their weaknesses right from the start. The fault installs are a.
Speaker 1: Huge one, just the basic setup. Why does that leave things exposed?
Speaker 2: It often comes down to usability versus security. Developers want things to work out of the.
Speaker 1: Box, so they leave services running reports open that aren't strictly needed.
Speaker 2: Precisely in every single default setting is a potential door for an attacker. That the initial configuration is so so critical, maybe even more than patching later.
Speaker 1: Wow, and sticking with the basics. Weak passwords still.
Speaker 2: A thing, oh, massively. Systems with accounts that have no password, or policies that don't enforce strong ones.
Speaker 1: Easy targets for guessing or dictionary attack.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, even against encrypted password lists, you'd be amazed. Strong password policies are just fundamental, non negotiable. Really.
Speaker 1: Okay, now this next area sounds more technical, packet filtering and spoofing. What's the danger there.
Speaker 2: Well, if your network doesn't filter incoming packets properly, attackers can perform IPR DNS spoofing. They pretend to be a trusted computer on your network.
Speaker 1: And once they're inside the trust zone.
Speaker 2: They can potentially install back doors, set up ways to get back in easily later, like keeping a hidden key under the mat.
Speaker 1: Nasty related to that bind flaws. Bine is the DNS software.
Speaker 2: Right right, the Domain Name Service software. Outdated versions are notorious for vulnerabilities like what buffer overflows are a classic an attacker sends too much data, crashing the program or worse, tricking it into running malicious.
Speaker 1: Code, giving them system access.
Speaker 2: Potentially, Yes, finding old buy ing versions is a big red flag in an audit.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about SNMP community strings?
Speaker 2: That sounds less dramatic, you'd think so, But SNMP, the Simple Network Management Protocol, is used to manage network devices. Right, many devices ship with the default community string, basically a password set to public, and if you don't change it, an attacker can query your devices, map out your network structure, sometimes even reconfigure things remotely, or launch denial of service attacks.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so a public is like leaving the front door.
Speaker 2: Unlocked pretty much? Yeah, yeah, for anyone who knows to check.
Speaker 1: And finally, in this category viruses, these are different, more passive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a bit different. They need a programmed to replicate. They copy themselves into other executable files, sometimes even the boot sector.
Speaker 1: Of a hard drive, and then they activate right.
Speaker 2: Activation, replication, payload delivery. That payload could be anything from annoying messages to deleting all your data.
Speaker 1: Often spread through email attachments right like those infamous.
Speaker 2: Worms exactly, or pirated software Yeah, infected discs. Sometimes just previewing an email in something like Outlook could trigger them. Back in the day, no clicking.
Speaker 1: Required, scary stuff. Let's make these vulnerabilities more real. Our sources mentioned specific examples found by security tools. The ISO Unicode vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Yes a classic. This affected Microsoft's web server ISA.
Speaker 1: How did it work?
Speaker 2: By crafting a special web request like adding lots of spaces in dot htr to a URL, you could trick the server into showing you the contents of files. It absolutely shouldn't have a subtle flaw huge impact.
Speaker 1: And the outlook datehead or buffer overflow you mentioned previewing, Yeah, that was wild.
Speaker 2: Especially crafted email header could cause a buffer overflow and run arbitrary code on your machine just by being retrieved by Outlook from the server.
Speaker 1: Before you even opened it, before.
Speaker 2: You opened to previewed it. It bypassed the usual user interactions deck very serious.
Speaker 1: Then there's Windows and t RPC services. Depletion sounds like it just crashes thing pretty much.
Speaker 2: An attacker connects to certain RPC services, sends junk data, and the system just keeps allocating memory and CPU until it freezes.
Speaker 1: A denial of service attack a simple.
Speaker 2: Effective one, yeah, takes the system offline.
Speaker 1: And it's not always these big dramatic exploits, is it. What about registry and wind lug on key.
Speaker 2: Permissions right, subtle but dangerous improper permissions on certain Windows registry keys could let an attacker plant trojan horses that run its startup or let.
Speaker 1: Them escalate their privileges exactly.
Speaker 2: Turn a regular user into an admin.
Speaker 1: Sneaky stuff and anonymous FTP logins. That sounds like an obvious one.
Speaker 2: It is, but it's still common. If an FTP server allows anonymous users and isn't configured very carefully, it could potentially allow access to entire drives, basically handing over the keys to your files.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we know what we're hunting for. Let's talk about the tools, the arsenal as our sources call it. How do we group these?
Speaker 2: We can break them down by function. First up, general vulnerability scanners.
Speaker 1: Like the Cerberus Internet Scanner CIS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good example. It's free, has a graphical interface, mostly looks for common Internet service ISSUESGTP, SMTP, FTP plus Windows NT problems.
Speaker 1: And it generates reports.
Speaker 2: Yep, ahml reports good starting points.
Speaker 1: Okay. Then there's something called Internet Scanner more comprehensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That one's more geared towards full network assessments. Lets you define specific scan policies, really tailor the tests, and the reports detailed often categorized by severity, helps you prioritize what to fix first.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. And the stat Scanner Yeah focuses on Windows and heavily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, claims to check for over one thousand NT vulnerability and it has a neat auto fixed feature for some common issues. Saves time, plus good reporting like executive summaries for management.
Speaker 1: All right, moving beyond general scanners, network mapping and discovery, Tiger Suite comes up again.
Speaker 2: Right, It's presented as a full toolkit. It has modules for different tasks like system status, inter networking sniffers. These capture and show you network traffic IP stats, TCP stats good for diagnostics or seeing if spoofing is happening. Okay, then it's discovery modules do things like finger DNS lookups, who equeries that basic infogathering that's crucial early on.
Speaker 1: And scanners within Tiger Suite yep.
Speaker 2: Ping scanners, IP range scanners, port scanners, even stealth port scanners to find active machines and open ports.
Speaker 1: Quietly, got it, And you can't talk network discovery without mentioning end map.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not end map. The network mapper is world renowned, famous for port scanning.
Speaker 1: But also for detecting operating systems.
Speaker 2: How does that work through TCPIP stack fingerprinting. It's fascinating. End Map send specific probes and analyzes the subtle ways different operating systems.
Speaker 1: Respond, even if no ports are open exactly.
Speaker 2: It looks at tiny differences in things like icmperror messages or initial TCP window sizes. It can often tell you the OS, sometimes even the version just from these tells incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about more specialized tools for testing or even attacking?
Speaker 2: Chaping, ah taping, that's an advanced packet crafter. You can build network packets exactly how you want.
Speaker 1: Them, and it can do idle host scanning. What's that?
Speaker 2: Also called dumb scanning. It's a very stealthy technique. You spoof packets as if they're coming from some inactive machine on the network.
Speaker 1: So the target doesn't see your real address exactly.
Speaker 2: The responses go to the idle host and you infer information based on how that host behaves. It's complex, but very sneaky. Also great for firewall testing.
Speaker 1: Wow. Then there's cybercop Scanner CASL Custom Audit Scripting language.
Speaker 2: Right that lets auditors write their own little scripts to send very specific custom packets.
Speaker 1: Why would you need that?
Speaker 2: To test how systems react to unusual or malformed traffic, Like craft a weird ping packet and see if the firewall drops that are led it through fine grained control.
Speaker 1: And cybercop also had a crack program sound ominous?
Speaker 2: It does what it sounds like. Yeah. It takes encrypted password lists from a system and tries to guess the passwords using dictionary files, lists of common words, names, etc.
Speaker 1: Really highlights the danger of simple passwords.
Speaker 2: Absolutely a stark reminder.
Speaker 1: Okay, nearly there Advanced audit and reporting systems SAINT successor to SATAN.
Speaker 2: Yes, SAINT the Security Administrator Integrated Network Tool. It builds on the older SATAN tool designed to assess network security comprehensively.
Speaker 1: How does it organize findings?
Speaker 2: It classifies them by severity red for critical, yellow for serious, brown for potential issues, green for okay.
Speaker 1: And it checks against known lists yep.
Speaker 2: Like the SANDS Top twenty Internet security vulnerabilities, very so for prioritizing.
Speaker 1: And SARAH Security Auditor Research Assistant.
Speaker 2: Sarah's strength is remotely probing systems and storing all the findings in a database for analysis.
Speaker 1: Does it integrate with other tools, Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: A key feature. It can use end map, for instance, for better OS fingerprinting, combining strengths.
Speaker 1: So, taking a step back, what's the big picture of how all these tools work?
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, whether they're commercial or open source, they run modules. These are like mini tests specific checks for known vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: And they sometimes try to exploit them.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, yes, in a controlled way. It's not just about thinking there's a vulnerability, it's about proving it exists and understanding the potential impact it confirms the weakness.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've really covered a lot today, from building those tiger boxes, understanding common weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Right through to using this whole arsenal of tools to actually find them.
Speaker 1: It's been a deep dive for sure.
Speaker 2: And the main thing to remember, I think, is that this isn't a one off task. Security auditing isn't something you just do once and forget.
Speaker 1: It has to be continuous.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Threats evolve constantly, systems change. It's an ongoing process essential for protecting digital assets. You can't just check the box.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought to leave everyone with. In a world where systems are constantly being probed, tested, poked at, how does the very act of identifying these vulnerabilities, even when we do it ethically like we've discussed, how does that fundamentally change the landscape of digital trust and privacy for everyone?
Speaker 2: H That's a deep one, something to chew on