Speaker 1: Welcome to Skin and Soul. I'm Gwenhemkarsley, a transformational body, sex and Soul coach, and I'm inviting you on a bold, unfiltered journey into the heart.
Speaker 2: Of our humanity through the lens of arrows. This is where we strip away.
Speaker 1: The shame, dive into the unspoken, and embrace the wild, raw truth of our desires.
Speaker 2: Together, we'll crack.
Speaker 1: Open the taboo and cover our deepest intimacies and awaken the pulse of our sexual essence. Because real transformation it's messy, it's thrilling, and it's oh so delicious. Buckle up.
Speaker 3: Loves.
Speaker 1: Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale starts in three two one. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome. I'm Gwenhem. I'm your host of Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale. And the question I have for you today is the sex or the desire for sex really fizzle and fade out over time? Today I'm joined in conversation with Caroline Hood, who is a certified sex therapist. She's also the author of her forthcoming book called Sex Begets Reclaiming Desire, Power and Pleasure in Long Term Love, where she challenges the assumptions we have about intimacy and desire in long term relationships. And I love this topic because I have experienced this first time. So welcome, Caroline.
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks for having me. Yeah, I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: So I want to start with I also know that you have a full, busy life and a very intimacy world, and I want to start there because relationships take work and take some spice, and you've managed to keep it going for your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah for a while now. Yeah, my husband and I we will be celebrating our fifteenth wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks and been together longer than that, and it's sort of wild to think about that long of the time and that we're at this place. We've got three kids, like two dogs, a busy life, and we're having some of the best sex we've ever had. You know, we're fully in love, fully lest and I think it's just this really special time in our lives, and this time where I get to reflect on the fact that this is so possible, Like this is so possible. He and I are We're nothing special, you know, we're not unique snowflakes. I think that's important, is that this is really doable and I'm so excited to talk about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you always have that kind of relationship where it felt that you could talk about sex that you or did you get to a place where it was fading and you were like, well, something's going on with me?
Speaker 3: Yeah. We certainly had moments where we had to be extra intentional, like when we became parents and when life got more logistically challenging. But I don't have a story that says, oh, we got to rock bottom and we were about to split and then we brought it back. We really did intentionally center our sexual relationship and our intimacy throughout the course of our relationship. It's really something we've always communicated about in a way that I think we knew that that was something that was going to keep us a couple over the long haul and over all the stresses that life brought to us. We didn't know exactly what that looked like, but we certainly had this perspective early on, and then I think because we had that early on, we were able to continue to come back to that foundation and really sort of exercise those muscles when we needed them the most when life got really really challenging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what does it look like to bring in intentionality? So for couples out there that just let.
Speaker 3: It go, don't even know? Yeah, and that's so common, I know, and I don't. I think it's important for couples and particularly women not to feel like, oh gosh, they screwed up and feel shame or feel bad about them. I think it's so normal, and it's just it's it's just sort of what happens. It's what we're told. We're told that it will fade, so it really I mean, communication is key. I know that's like not a hot take, right, it's it's everywhere, but it's important. Communication about sex, about intimacy, about desire, about your wants outside of the bedroom, you know, at other points in your life. I think are so important to remember. Hey, you know, we don't want to be roommates. We don't want to just be co parents or co workers. We want to continue to be lovers. So what does this look like? How do we make this happen? Life is so busy, how do we how do we embed this so it's not just this cherry on top when everything else is settled and perfect, Because that I don't know, I haven't achieved that. Yeah, like, that's a magical land that if you found it, let me know. But I don't think it exists, So you have to figure out how to make it happen amid all of the chaos.
Speaker 2: And I think people think that either talking about sex one can bring up a lot of shame, but also that it can be un sexy, or that having intentional sex or putting it on the calendar is unsexy. And I don't know, I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think it's I don't think it's true. I think a couple of things, you know, So we think about spontaneity, and I think I just I'm constantly I feel like I'm telling people, but we never had spontaneous sex. I mean, whether it was when you were single and going to clubs or bars, or going out with friends, or early ener your relationship when you weren't before you were living together and you were going on dates. All of those were highly curated events with getting ready and dancing and drinking and meeting at the same place and planning for it, and down to logistics of uh, how how soon before a date are you masturbating or not masturbating. I mean, everybody was thinking so much about it, so so I don't know why we have the idea that sex was spontaneous then and somehow once you're in your midlife and you're organizing your sex life around your kids soccer games, like, that's so different. It's it's it's the same thing. So so I think we sort of fundamentally get that wrong. And then if we can recognize that that then it doesn't feel like such a roadblock. And then talking about sex, Oh my gosh, that's so fun. It's for play, Like that's some of the greatest type of foreplay is getting to getting to talk about it and look forward to it and anticipate it. I think I think talking about sex is very sexy. I think the people who think that talking about sex is un sexy is when they're only bringing it up when it's frop. They're only bringing it up when it's a you don't do this anymore? How come you? You know, it's an antagonistic conversation and communication as opposed to ooh what could we do? You know, exploratory exciting.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think I think having that sexy kind of talk gets you in the mood and has the imagination start flowing and the body starts getting ready. Just that the idea of it, and people have this idea I think generally speaking that sex just fades over time, that when you're in a long term relationship, you know the desire for it. And I think that, and it's been proven scientifically that when your body doesn't have sex, right, that's that's when the desire starts to fade more rather than when you're doing it more your body's more revped and practiced and so on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's certainly a sort of practice component to it, right, which is the more the sort of what I write about in sex, we get sex. So the more you do it, the better you get at it, the more pleasurable it is. Is so therefore, the more you want it and it turns into this really positive feedback loop. But you're right, though, there's this narrative out there that tells us, oh, you know, your hot, spicy sex life is for your twenties or for whatever, and it's certainly not after you become parents, certainly not after a decade into a relationship. And so I think what's unfortunate is people buy into that myth, right, and so then when things start to fade, they don't do anything about it because they think it's inevitable, you know, they think it's destiny, as opposed to a problem that you would look at and say, oh, gosh, my eyes are getting worse, I should go to the doctor. But when people say, oh, my sex life is getting worse, well, they think that's normal, and so they just it just keeps going, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think they just get suppressed in a lot of ways. So when you see women, ause you're a sex therapist, what do you think is the most common complaint that comes up or the greatest desires that seem to be spoken about.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think so many women feel like sex is turned into an obligation, right, It's turned into just one more thing that they have to do for someone else because they're not actually really getting anything out of it. They don't see it as something that's for them, It's only for somebody else. I think that, I mean, I'm missuming you here similarly, Like, I think that's just very common, it is, and I think.
Speaker 2: It's so sad that that part, that component is denied, especially to women, that there's just this assumption of oh, it's gone, I have no desire for sex, and I always take that as a sex and the fuel of sex, That sensuality is part of what keeps us young alive, wanting to engage in life in so many other ways. So I don't know if you have thoughts around that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean absolutely. I mean I think there's this sort of identity shift that can happen with a lot of women when they either the age or in midlife, or potentially when they become mothers or sort of all of it, where where they previously were a sexual being and then they aged into these other brackets or categories and so they had to relinquish and abandon that sexual self, and so they don't even see it as part of their personhood anymore. And that is this piece like you're just talking about this piece of oh, but it's so much just a fundamental right, And I think there's so many women who don't ever actually feel like they were given permission for that right or validated to have their own desires or their own pleasure right. So it's easy to sort of set to the side because they never felt like it was valid and for them it was always performed or it was always something that was for somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as women get older, so I've definitely hit that menopausal stage that all of a sudden desire goes to die. And I know when I was married that the intentionality wasn't there, and we had very different sex drives and so everything started to fizz and fade, and I thought, oh my god, I mean I was actually starving where I think a lot of people push it down and so but what I realized is, oh, yeah, no, my body is hungry for still wanting more in a relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I mean, I think it's great that you you I identified that because because, like like you said, I think a lot of women it's just fully repressed, like they don't even realize what they're missing, and they feel sort of numb to I talked to women and girlfriends that are just sort of they're fine, you know, and I think they really truly believe that they're fine, And certainly some are, but I think there's a majority of them that don't even realize what has happened to their identities, and they don't know where to begin to either bring it back it like in your case or or like figure it out in the first place. Sometimes that's happening in the first place in your mid forties or later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a friend of mine and I'm gonna might hate me for saying this, Oh and identify it, says to me, you know, when she's not in the mood, her husband will say to her, what does he say? You have? Something like would it kill you to have an orgasm? And I love that line, And that's kind of how they reconnect again as life gets really busy, because there's also a component to taking time with yourself that you know, taking that that moment for touch, for getting juicy, getting getting the arousal flowing, which is another thing that I think happens. So how do you address having you know, these slots of time not necessarily just to jump in for a quick like a quickie, although quickies can be great's creating time also in space for for for just deeper intimacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I mean it's hard, Like life is busy, right, So it's not most people don't have three hours multiple times a week just to lean into this and go nice and slow. And so I think there's a couple of things just living in reality of the world, which is that that that foreplay. You know, foreplay is all day, every day, right, so so that when you do actually enter into a sexual encounter, you're you're you're ready in many ways because you've built up same anticipation since the last time you had sex. So that's important. I also think, you know, we're all in our phones way too often, like we all actually have more time than we probably say we do or think we do. So it goes back to that intention. If this is something that you really care about in your relationship, like do an audit, think about think about where time is lost and where are you Have you created a story that you have no time even the busiest of people. I think if you really look and sort of and get creative with your time, you can find it. So I definitely challenge people to accurately, sort of honestly reflect on are they actually being intentional? You know, are you waiting till the end of the day when you're exhausted, Like I don't do that. I actually don't know a lot of people that are really successful in that approach. So so find other times of day, Find times of day when you're not completely drained and touched out, you know. Again, it's it might sound like logistics planning, but it's it can be fun and then it can support that really really playful side. I think your friend's story is funny because what I hear is like bringing back some levity. You know, would it kill you to have an organism like, let's remember that this is supposed to be fun and playful, and this doesn't need to be really fraught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't need to be a chore. Again, I was in a room full of women, all of them i'm going to say, either perimenopausal or menopausal. And what was interesting in the room was you had women that were having great sex with their partners, one who was desiring to have great sex with their partner because her body was changing so much, and that's the other thing is sometimes you have to rediscover your body. And then there was another woman who just said, well, you know, get over it, just except that you know, this is no longer a part of your life, which really shocked me. So it was just a very different set of you know, women.
Speaker 3: You had a whole continuummen in that room, which was really interesting.
Speaker 2: And I think there's this idea that as we age that it just simply dies. And I think for those women that kind of disconnect themselves from it, what do you see with them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that disconnection is is spot on, and it's that back to that abandonment. You know, we've abandoned this, this piece of what it I think it is to be to be fully human, to be fully female, to be to live an erotic life and using that expansive definition of erotic, not not just oh that's about an orgasm, but erotic in that sort of zest for life and women, I just think so many are falling into that that fallacy that it is inevitable for things just to slide. And as our bodies change, certainly hormones change. And luckily there's more opportunities for us now to replace hormones and to be advocates for our own health and to say, hey, you know, I still want to have a great sex life. Still I still want to feel good, and so how can your GPS and your medical doctors help you help support that libido side and the hormonal side that is shifting. And I think it's really interesting because there is this pocket of women in their parimen apuzzle and a puzzle that are having their sexual peak because I think in many ways they they're just like I don't care what the performative nature is being relinquished. They don't want to try so hard. They want to get to know themselves for the first time potentially ever. And it's really fun to see this growing group of women that are like, hey, this is amazing, and I'm middle age and beyond and it only gets better.
Speaker 2: I agree, because there's something that happens around like not having children anymore that are in the home, you all of a sudden have freedom and to be able to relearn your body and explore in ways. So you brought up a great topic, which is having an erotic life or to rediscovering the erotic and the aarrows, and I'd love you to expand on what that looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, it's different for everyone, but there's there's just some really beautiful ways of thinking about our life. And it's not just oh, what makes me happy or what doesn't from this sort of very cognitive space, right like I like that, I don't like that, I like to hike. I don't you know. But it's it's more of this full body, expansive embracing of what life has to offer, and that includes sexual but it includes food, and it includes you know, what we do throughout the day and how we think and how we interact and this sort of I think it's really hard to describe. I mean, I'm curious to hear how you define it. But it is a full it's a full life approach really that says, I am this erotic being in and out of the bedroom, and I will embrace life with a with the full expansiveness of all all of my components. That's that's really how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that for me, there there's this a liveness component where everything is alive within the body and it's very embodied. So the performance goes away and there's this connection between I would consider even that there's this intimacy within yourself and then this created intimacy with the world. So I love that someone said, oh, you can flirt with a flower, you can flirt with a child. You know, it has nothing to do with sex as we think of it. It's more of that fuel that drives this. Uh. I mean, for me, it's a deliciousness in life and brings out a lot of creativity. And idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's you know is Sarah Para. She's quoted so much, but she has all these wonderful things. And she was talking, i'm sure you know, talking about the folks who survived after the Holocaust, and she talked about the people who who lived and the people who didn't die, and she described the difference between those two groups of individuals as people who were able to rediscover their erotic selves and those who weren't. So if they didn't, yes, they didn't die, but they weren't fully alive. So it is just it is just this aliveness. Yeah, as you said that, so many women, I mean, I talk with I was just talking to a girlfriend recently whose mid forties and kids are teens and the marriage is really on the rocks. And she I lived with her when we were in our twenties, and she was this alive person and I saw her and I thought, oh, she she's just not you know, she just appeared to be the shell. She was sort of going through the motions and I could see her and she was talking and she was walking, and she was going through the emotions. But she just I felt like she was gone. And I think a lot of women feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that as well, that there's something that happens, there's kind of a fork in the road. We get these opportunities in life, and I've seen people that just get shut down. And I think a lot of it has to do with the should factor, Right, I shouldn't be living life this way. This is my obligation, this is my this is what life is, as opposed to what can life be? How can I create it for myself instead of answering to the voices in my head, my family, my society, my partner, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, and I think with that should too. There's so many women who who sort of wake up and they go, Okay, well, I have the husband, I have the two kids, have the dog, I have the house, the picket fence, I have the whole dream that I envisioned for the last forty years. And here I am and I'm not that happy. But you look around and everybody, I think the message is just like, oh, but be grateful, Like just you should be grateful because you have everything you wanted, which I you know, gratitude is a beautiful thing. But when I hear that messaging, I just think It is a way to tell women to shut up and to settle and to not actually go for what they want. And I think that messaging gets gets, you know, shoved at women that they should just be happy for what they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I can really speak to that because that's that was definitely part of my journey. I had everything, and I had a loving wife, I had a really good life, and I just thought, I have to be grateful. I have to be grateful. And I found myself continually unhappy in my life and so thought, oh god, I you know, I can't I can't leave, you know, and to what? And I think there's this scariness of if I and it's habitual, right, we don't want to leave what's really comfortable. But it challenges And I'm lucky because I did have that Kundalini kind of awakening where my body just would not leave me alone. My body was like, yeah, no, you're not You're not going off to dine.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. Yeah, but I'm sure people looked at you and thought, well, you're crazy, Like your life is what most people are striving for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And there's a lot of judgments, so there is there is courage involved whether you're you want to stay in your partnership or not, but bringing in that intentionality. And I love that you brought up masturbation as well. As I was just thinking about I was reading something around reading fantasies, how women will also you know, lead themselves into fantasy, which has again you know, like porn, can be both a good thing. I think it's great to know what your fantasies are, that you can happen too those and say. But I was also just thinking about reading books. I love reading great erotic literature just to yeah, well.
Speaker 3: Because sometimes you don't you know, you don't know what you don't know, or you can imagine what you've you've sort of never had any architecture for. And and I think the the huge growth of romanticy and dark romance and erotica that women are just buying off the shelves is just such a testament to the fact that that desire isn't dead right, that they that they wanted, that women are craving it, but they don't know how to maybe take it from the fiction shelves and put it back into the reality of their own day to day life, and.
Speaker 2: So that they're either hiding the book. Actually, they're not hiding it anymore. I remember this this documentary saying, like everybody's reading fifty Shades of Gray on the bus, right, right, That's something which I actually think is great. But again for me, you know, I was hiding the box of toys. I was like, I was, I was in. It was in the closet, it was it was my big secret, because even though we were great in communication in so many other ways, that's not where we were great. That was so, you know, in terms of teaching women their voice and how to ask for what they want, what do you what do you think shows up?
Speaker 3: I think it's hard. I mean I think it's hard for men too, But it's hard because we we're never you know, we're never taught vocabulary around this, right, We're taught, we're taught that this is private or taboo, or it's shameful or it's bad, and so we're we don't have language for it. So I always want to tell people like, don't feel bad, Okay, you're not You're not messed up, you're not screwed up, Like, don't feel bad. We know you you never learned this. But I also think it's important to start those conversations if couples want to do that from a place of from a place of want. And so instead of coming and saying, you know, how come you don't touch me or in whatever it might be, that sort of accusatory, rather come and say, I'm I'm missing our sexual lives. I'm missing this sexual part of me. We used, we used to do these things. And I'm not placing blame. I'm just I'm I'm saying I want that back. I miss that, and I miss wanting you, and I miss being wanted by you, and I wonder if we could. I wonder if we could go on this exploration together. And I think that framing into a conversation, Not that that's going to solve everything, but it's certainly more of an approach oriented conversation, right, It's more connected as opposed to a to just a resentment, you know, throwing resentments at your partner for not being everything you want them to be.
Speaker 2: That's the first is not resenting the partner for not being everything that you want them to be. To show up with with a want, without the expectation that they can necessarily fill that want, but at least that there's an open table to talk without judgement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I mean it would. I think we're fed these myths that like, if it's true love, they'll just know you and the chemistry will be amazing and that'll just happen without ever having to say a word, and they'll.
Speaker 2: Watch right, They're gonna want exactly what you want all the time.
Speaker 3: And as your desires changed, theirs will change accordingly. And isn't that And so I think again, that's just a setup for couples to think that if they talk about it, that must mean that there's something inherently wrong with their connection or their dynamic, and so all of the it's really it's really just a bummer because the messaging out there is setting up so many people to fail. So just coming in with that communication of going, oh right, even though they love me and they've been with me for twenty years, it doesn't mean they actually know what I want. I'm not even sure what I want. And hopefully, as we as we evolve, what you wanted ten years ago is maybe not what you want today, and maybe it won't be what you want ten years from now, and recognizing that that within you is evolving and then, so certainly as a couple, it's going to have to evolve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so what do you think for you has changed in your own intimacy with your husband and your partner and what you wanted in your twenties what you want now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think even as I said, you know, we always prioritized our sexual connection in our relationship. But I grew up in a very religious household and didn't know anything. And we were married. We met when we were twenty five, and so as much as I knew sex was important and I valued it, I didn't have language around it. I didn't really know. I think I was still very much performing what I thought men wanted. And so over time I have just gotten to know myself more. Having children changed my relationship with my body actually in a really positive way. And so even though it changed and hormones were challenging, it also made me really appreciate my body in a way that I never had and allowed me to understand myself more. And and I've just continued to be less coy and less shy. I certainly had that. So I'm just having more fun and I think he is too, and he's we're more comfortable. You know, all of that comes with time, that that vulnerability and intimacy of connection. We feel so much more secure with one another. So I think we are not afraid to really be who we want to be.
Speaker 2: That's really nice that pregnancy and having children brought you closer to your body and didn't have you abandon your body, because I think there's that opposite side as well. I know for myself again, you know, I my the left side of my body went numb during birth. After birth, I just lost I'm going to say, nerve connection to a side. And my body did all kinds of things in terms of twisting out of different shape, different all of it. And then I learned to love your body. And you have a few children, so tell me how you like cultivated that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's gosh, it's so interesting, you know, to talk about pregnancy and birth and you know, I know these women who who had traumatic births and so their relationship with their body was fundamentally changed for in traumatic ways. And for me, I had three kids, birth three kids, and it was so empowering to like grow a human. I was like, this is amazing, look at what I'm doing. Also, after the postpartum period is such a roller coaster, and the hormones and there were I can remember, particularly after our first kid, because because it's just it's such a life altering moment and you can never really fully prepare and having in those early weeks where I felt so disconnected from myself and I was really scared. I really I was like, oh my gosh, I'm no longer me. My body is not for me, it's fully in service of this being. I'm exhausted. And that was actually a moment in which I turned to intimacy and physical intimacy as a way to bring myself back. And so in my book, I share a story of sort of the first postpartum sex, which which is not sex by sort of anyone else's definition and certainly would never be in any erotic scene. You know, it was fumbly and it was non penetrative, and it was nothing because I was still I was still so new, but I needed that touch and I needed I needed that intimate connection. And you know, there was no orgasm, there was nothing, but but that moment just is is in my brain and in my memory as a way that I was able to return to myself if only briefly in these moments, in a moment where I felt like I was, you know, floating away. And so I think that's sort of what I mean when I say I really realized in that moment just how powerful being a sexual being and being intimate was and my ability to maintain me.
Speaker 2: And I was single when I had my when when I had my son, so and I had a similar experience just feeling in service of definitely because I also yessed for him over a year. I think, so it was it was, oh goodness, I got to a place where I was like, I just want my body back. I just want to feel in a sexual sexual way. But I did have because I was alone. Then I had my child, and my child actually provided a lot of touch and intimacy and hear the hands and and just and the ability to have orgasm through breastfeeding, which I did not expect. And I don't know, and I say that out loud for any woman out there who's like kind of mortified, which is a great that reclaiming your your body and your sexuality can take on so many faces, especially.
Speaker 3: Yes it can, and I think reminding women that it's all normal. I think so many people because we don't talk about it. Everybody sort of walks around going, am I weird? Am I wrong? Am I messed up? Is this weird? And and I just think no, as long as you're an adult and you're consenting, then then nothing is weird.
Speaker 2: And I also think that sex is messy. Right, you said, oh, that thing, it was nothing. I'm like, no, it was everything. I think it's real. You get touch again, and you get you get touched. But that's that's the fundamental part about sex. It's not pretty, it's not performative. It doesn't look like a perfect moan and scream. It's drooling, its hair coming like everywhere, it's backing as somebody by accident, and of what somewhere it shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yes, it's it's really And that's where I come back to. It's play. And for adults, I think, you know, talking about we're talking about kids like parents work so hard to curate the play lives of our kids. There's play dates, there's all the lessons of all the sports. We integrate play in our children's lives in a way that says it's fundamental, it's important. And then at some point in time we become adults and we just click off that play button and decide it's not important. And as animals and as humans, play is important across the lifespan, but I think for adults, sex is often the only one of and sometimes the only way in which adults play. So it's really important to just to keep that going again because I think it's this really innate.
Speaker 2: Right that we all have absolutely hands down. So when you think of women getting back their agency because a lot of women don't have their agency, is how to start? Like, what's the that micro movement?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so many. I think some people, you know, we talked about masturbation, and some people will start with okay, you know, get to know your body, which I think is great, but I do think it misses a first step or a foundational step of giving yourself permission and going back and sort of interrogating your thoughts and your feelings and going Have I ever really given myself permission to have desire? Have I ever really thought that my pleasure was valid and then I should take up space for it? And I think many women would answer no to that. So first, is this sort of mindset shift and value judgment shift to say I'm important, this part of me is important. I get to have it. Then if we can take ownership of that and reclaim that, then we get to go on a path of sort of exploring well what does that look like in intangible concrete ways. But I think it's that it's that permission, it's that mindset.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two things. That it's the permission. And you were saying that you came from a religious background. So for anyone who has a religious background that has so much of the guilt, you're not allowed to have this pleasure. You're not allowed to have thoughts outside of even you know, somebody walking by or whatever it is, are with thoughts about yourself and then bringing in So it's working in the permission and getting through all of that construction of guilt and so forth. And there's also coming to the touch of yourself. I have a lot of friends who've never masturbated or rarely have touched themselves, which always blows my mind. My I you know, just to not know your body intimately.
Speaker 3: But it's so common, right, I mean, it's it's so common, particularly for girls and for women. Again, that's that that culture of men masturbations normal and they're the conversation with boys is I mean, it's it's certainly missing a lot of fundamentals, but there's at least this acknowledgment that you'll masturbate. But for women there's that's never I mean, parents are rarely talking about Okay, let's have safe sets and let's have condoms and all that, and what about your own pleasure and what about your own agency and get to know your own body. I think girls are done a real disservice by never having that and having the opposite, which is you know this is bad or don't do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's really sad. Yeah, and that it continues on through adulthood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and potentially unsafe, right, because then women get into this performative loop and potentially get themselves into situations that are either emotionally unsafe or physically unsafe because because they don't have that ownership of their bodies and what they want and so yeah, I think it's it can be really detrimental.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So do you address that in your book, Reclaiming Your Desire, your Agency, your Power.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's just I think it's like this call to empowerment, right, it's this call for women to say, hey, this is this is a part of you. Don't relinquish it. Don't say oh I'm a mom now, or oh I'm old, or what are the whatever other thing you might have been told that you're supposed to be. But rather, this is a part of you. And it's not selfish, and it's not immoral or invalid. It's really this beautiful thing and it's a beautiful way to embrace all parts of you. And I think it's a real if you have a partner, it's this really beautiful way of maintaining this loving intimacy over a lifespan, if you want to be committed to that person for twenty thirty forty years. It's such a beautiful way to add resilience and affection and buffer against the stresses that are going to come, you know, keeping that that physical intimacy will will only support the emotional intimacy, like it keeps you really strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the spark doesn't actually need to die.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so, not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean it does the romance. And so that your title sex begets sex, I'd love you to talk about sex begets Sun. That's a great title.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's sweet. It is really back to that feedback loop we were talking about, which is that it is the more you have sex, you get better at it. It's a little bit of a skill. You learn your partner, you learn yourself. You derive more pleasure from it, so you want more. Also, that pieces I think really important is that if it takes sex in those sexual encounters to be in a less fraught, less pressured position. So if you're only having sex infrequently, however, everybody defines that differently, but if it's infrequent, then each time you have it, it feels like it's got to be great, you know, and it has to be Everything has to go well, and so there's a lot of pressure which keeps you in your head and doesn't let you relax. It doesn't really let you drop into your body and fully just have fun. So that is problematic. So I think there is a piece around sex where that frequency, the frequency component is a little bit of a lever toward that pleasure and keeps that connection going. With couples, that is really really a way to keep you, to keep you bonded, and so that particularly if you have kids. You know, my mom's advice which I love you know, we were a couple before we had kids, and we'll be a couple after the kids leave the house. And so she was, you know, she was a great messenger of thinking of reminding myself and my sisters to maintain that connection because that will keep you from just being roommates. And you want that, and I think most people do. I think most people want to keep that.
Speaker 2: And the other question is is if you are there and you're thinking of it as a chore, is to start asking yourself, why is it a chore?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, I think don't go straight to the Okay, well I'll just try let's try a real play or let's try fine, But why does it feel like a chore? Has it always felt like a chore? Try to remember a time when it was fun, you know, ask those sort of open ended questions of yourself or your partner or whomever a therapist. But but go to that reflective instead of that fix it quick hack. I don't think we're going to hack our way to a more intimate, vulnerable sex life without really diving into the nuance.
Speaker 2: Yeah agreed, thank you, Yeah, thank you. And I'm just gonna ask you my toen questions.
Speaker 3: Sure, so.
Speaker 2: Let's start with what is one truth your body is always known that your mind took years to catch up to.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, that I deserve play.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I love it. Thank you. What is the most intimate moment you've ever had that had nothing to do with sex?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, that's really hard. The most intimate that didn't have to do with sex, you know, I think, certainly I'll have to do three. And I think it's like the first time I held each one of my children after having them in just that moment of touch and connection and these little eyes, you know, an inch away from your face.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you. If you could be remembered for one sensation that you gave someone, what would it be?
Speaker 3: I think of compassion. Is that a sensation? That's where I go.
Speaker 2: I think that leaves a warm, fuzzy it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If pleasure or where a language, what would your first word be?
Speaker 3: It would be that. It would be a moan. It would be an m Yes.
Speaker 2: If your erotic life had a title like a novel or a film, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow, it would be it only gets better, It only.
Speaker 2: Gets better like that. What is one thing that you've never said out loud that you wish someone would ask you about.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't know what if I never said out loud that I wish someone would ask me about. It's always back to something around what do I want and what do I need as a mother and a caretaker as opposed to what snack can I make for everybody else? So yeah, I think I think there's just this beautiful pause, and to be really seen is what I would is what I would want to just be really seen?
Speaker 2: Thank you. What is one part of your erotic self that you are still afraid to bring to the light.
Speaker 3: I don't know that question right now. I am in full discovery mode, so I'm in this space of really sort of leaning into what that is and what that looks like. And I think maybe I'll be clearer about that in a month or two. Is I sort of go through this journey. But I'm in this. I'm in this like I can see I can see the change happening, and it's sort of this fuzzy painting right now, and I'm getting closer to it, and I'm sort of watching myself go through this process, which is fun. So I might look back and have more clarity on that one love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you? What dies in you when you pretend and what comes alive in you when you don't?
Speaker 3: I mean, what dies when I pretend? Everything? I just like, I just I can't relinquish myself. That's what dies and what comes alive? Is is is fully is fully becoming someone who's who's comfortable in me as me, for no purpose other than to just.
Speaker 2: Be thank you. Finish this sentence. When I leave this life, I want my body to I want my skin to remember.
Speaker 3: My skin to remember the touch of the four people I love the most, my three kids and my husband. I want to feel that thank you.
Speaker 2: And if the soul has a scent, what does your smell like today?
Speaker 3: It's a lavender today?
Speaker 2: I think, oh nice, very yes, yes, thank you. So are there any last pearls of wisdom that you want to impart?
Speaker 3: I always just think that I want to impart hope. I think many women feel lost or numb, or hopeless or helpless, and I think that this is possible for anyone to reclaim this agency to feel empowered, and it doesn't require a whole life overhaul. I think it can be done in little moments and in little snibbits. So I just want to leave people with hope that there is that there is possibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that there's magic, yeah, possible, and being in a long term relationship. Yes, absolutely, So thank you for joining me today. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want love to be able to find you, so let them know.
Speaker 3: Yes. So all of my stuff is on the same kind of handle. It's desire in real life. So website is Desire in real life dot com, Instagram at Desire in real life, and then you'll find me writing all sorts of articles on substack Desire in real life, and all of those sites will link you to the others, so you can find me pretty easily.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. Thank you and thank you everyone for joining us today. I will see you again next week.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Skin and Soul with Me Gwenham Join me Fridays at ten ampst on Transformation Talk Radio. Catch the podcast anytime on your favorite platforms. You can follow me on Instagram at lubology. Ready to Take the Next Step, Book a compatibility call with me at Gwenhemcarsley dot com.