Speaker 1: Somethen years ago.
Speaker 2: Something you should know is brought to you by Genesis gooldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis goold ira dot com. I am so excited. VI is with John Cafferty from John Kafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. How you doing, sir?
Speaker 1: Hey John? How you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: I am fantastic and I'm excited to visit with you. And you know again, I'm a child that grew up in the eighties and love, love, love the music from back then, and you got all kinds of fun stuff you're working on right now. Let's chat about that.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for saying, and yeah, we do. We just made a new album. It's been a while since we've been in the studio to create a whole new batch of songs. But having celebrated our fiftieth anniversary a couple of years ago, we thought it was time to, you know, maybe take another take another shot at creating some fun songs. So that's what we did.
Speaker 2: I love that. Now. How has the music industry changed over the time that you started way back in the day, and now you're still doing it today. Hey, how has the music industry changed during that time?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my job hasn't really changed all that much. Every Saturday night, I walk on a stage somewhere USA, I count the foe and I got a great rock and roll man that, just like you know, turns the house upside down. So my job hasn't changed all that much. How the music is recorded, I was presenting how it's shared with one another, Howard's I mean, that's a whole other world that has changed quite a bit.
Speaker 2: And the thing that's fun good music is good music, and I think that you know, again, you've got some phenomenal music from back in the day, and you've got some really good music now. There was one of your songs recently featured in a movie, Ricky Stanicky, which is a funny movie. Let's talk about that song.
Speaker 1: The guy who directed the film is a guy named Peter Farrell, one of the Farrelly brothers. And you know, they used to come see us when they were kids. They used to sneaking the bars we were playing when they were younger. And he was working on that film. He was in Australia, and I wanted to know if I had anything new, and we were making the album. I hadn't finished the album yet, but I had that song Day in the Sun, and he heard it and he loved it, and I used it in the film. So yet another song in movies that we're probably up around forty years so over.
Speaker 2: The years, absolutely, and one very famous movie that you got to do the entire soundtrack, it seems for Eddie and the Cruisers, and a lot of the music from that movie. Again it's all from you, from John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. But those songs became huge hits because of the movie and because they were great songs.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for saying. You know, it was a unique opportunity for us. We were a band that had been together for quite a few years. We were a bar band, extraordinary, very entertaining, and had the you know, a lot of the early history of rock and roll under our fingertips, and we're writing songs in that vein. And you know, a guy named Kenny Vance was walking down the street one day in Greenwich Village Yours heard the sound of the band coming out the window and came in and watched us, and we never knew he was there. And an about a year later he came up for the script for Eddie and the Cruises and we were off to the races.
Speaker 2: I love that, And again, what an amazing movie. And again, the music makes the movie with You could have done that same movie with bad music and the movie wouldn't have worked, and the music wouldn't have worked. So I think you guys brought the magic seasoning to that to make it work all around.
Speaker 1: Well, probably a very collaborative effort, you know, but I think the composite characters that were created with the actors on the screen and the musicians behind the screen, seemed to work pretty well.
Speaker 2: Now you've got a bunch of songs that are iconic, see it y tough all over. I mean again, a bunch of music in movies, which you know, probably up there with anybody as far as that. And now you put out this new album and I'm reading here that the new album almost didn't happen. Why is that?
Speaker 1: We were a band that, you know, when that window of opportunity from the eighties sort of evolved and evolved into new styles and music being played, we did to sort of you know, we just sort of went back to what we knew how to do, which was to be a live band. Only Now we had a couple of years under our belt and we were able to play around the country. But we never stopped playing. But we never we didn't really think that we had a place in the record business anymore, which was pretty much true for a number of years with our record deal. But you know, at this point, we had celebrated our fiftieth anniversary, we had this greatest Hits record coming out. Was contacted by our friend Bruce Springsteen down New Jersey. He was right around his car listening to some of the songs I had written, and he said, I think you need more I think you need more stuff, So I need a bigger playlist from you. So he, you know, sort of, you know, give us a little encouragement to, you know, keep moving towards making new songs.
Speaker 2: So when we listen and love it, we can thank the boss for that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you can thank him for a lot of things. But I don't know if this one is real high up on his list. But I just heard heasily dropping seven new albums all at once, just mind boggling to me.
Speaker 2: Well, I am excited to hear some of this new music. Thank you so much for your time today. We appreciate it, sir, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I hope you have fun with this day. And the song is bringing smiles, so a lot of faces around the country and you know we're coming into that. So new album's called Sound of Waves and is the new single day the song again.
Speaker 2: Our guest today has been Johncafferty from John Kafferty in the Beaver Brown Band, and sadly I can't play that song on the podcast version of the program, so if you're listening at Suo falsepodcast dot com good News, you can listen to the song on our Facebook page. I put a link to it at Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Something You Should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by genesisgoldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at genesisgoldira dot com.