Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It is a Lady with mo Kelly with live on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the iHeartRadio app. And joining us at this time as she customarily does, is Jackie Ray. Let's go beyond the box score, Jackie Ray.
Speaker 3: Good evening.
Speaker 2: Let's start with some professional football or adjacent to that. John Elway Hall of Famer, ye football legend news broke today that he will not be charged in the golf cart incident that killed his close friend and superagent Jeff Spurbeck. For those who don't know, it was being investigated investigated by Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, who's also a candidate for governor, and he confirmed that his department's investigation into the golf cart incident that led to Spurbek's death found nothing criminal. And I don't think I'm not going to disagree with that because I'm not part of the investigation. But I always wonder when you have very powerful, influential people, and there are all sorts of incidences where you can go to the death of Natalie Wood and the boating accident, right, you just always naturally wonder when this story broke prior to them finding nothing of the fairase here, What did you think about the story?
Speaker 4: So I'm from Colorado and so very familiar with John Elway. My dad used to be his insurance agent for a time, so yeah, he was an insurance agent for John Elway and Steve School. So yeah, very familiar with him. And I just assumed, because of the knowledge that I have about him from just outside of football, I assumed that it would at least be some negligence because he was probably drinking.
Speaker 2: You say probably drinking because we know as a fact that they were leaving a party, yes.
Speaker 3: And we know they both drink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and John Elway is no stranger to having a very fond relationship with alcohol. So I just assumed at minimum, I don't think that this was something you know, try horse plays, probably just goofing around, you know. I didn't think it would be anything nefarious, but I definitely thought negligence would be at least, you know, some sort of charge in that and what that would have meant for him. I didn't I don't think it would have met any jail time or anything like that, but definitely would have found him guilty of some sort of negligence.
Speaker 2: For people who don't know, Spurbeck was not riding in the golf cart. He was standing on the back with one other person who was also standing. John Oway's wife was in the golf seat next to him. Now, it's from what I understand, there were five people on this cart, which I don't think is bad for five.
Speaker 4: Also tells you that everybody was probably drinking because it was only made for two people.
Speaker 3: That goes back to negligence as well, right.
Speaker 4: Right, So at some point it's like, what responsibility do you have when you have this golf cart that's only built for two people? Do you say, And this is a question that I would ask people, even when you are completely sober, when all your friends are walking back from something, is this something that you don't say, Oh yeah, I just jump off like and then if something happened, are you negligent in that?
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't think it was nefarious in any way, but definitely negligent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was any moment where you're doing something where you're consciously putting your friend in danger. Right, he may have just slipped off the back and fell and hit.
Speaker 4: His head, and why the old man was standing instead of sitting as crazy to me.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna have his wife's stand?
Speaker 4: Well, somebody needed somebody who if they fell off, would be less likely to have a devastating injury.
Speaker 3: Should have been standing.
Speaker 2: But you're thinking soberly correct and you're thinking clearly this was after a party.
Speaker 3: They were leaving a party.
Speaker 2: They're actually pictures of Lway and Spurbek holding wine glasses together, imposing. So there is a reasonable assumption, right that alcohol was part of the equation, not all of it, and it may not have been connected to even him falling and slipping, or it may have been that, yeah, he Spurbek was drunk and that maybe why why Yeah, Yeah, it could be a combination of things. It's just one of those things where there's always a part of me which makes me wonder because I know for a fact, and I can't say all the reasons why that prominent sports.
Speaker 4: Figures are covered for yes, the one hundred percent. I actually had a David Cowboy fans would know him David Irvin on my podcast that'll be out shortly, and he talked about all the ways that he was covered when he would partake in cannabis and how he was told, hey, we're gonna mark you whatever. They marked him so he wouldn't show up to practice that day so he didn't have to get drug tested. So there's all kinds of ways that people in the sports world cover their athletes, especially now. They might not do that for you if you're coming off the bench and you're not good, are you?
Speaker 2: But if you're a yeah, Hall of famer, yes, yes, I'll tell you. I'll tell you a conspiracy theory, m but I almost believed it because of who this person was at the time. Okay, cal Ripkin Junior was playing for the Baltimore Oriols, and if you know anything about cal Ripton Junior, he was chasing Lou Gegg's consecutive game streak. I was working for Jim Rome at the time, and I won't say who because it was a prominent baseball executive. But that person told me that he didn't believe that cal Ripkin had genuinely beaten lou Garrick's streak because there was a question about one night.
Speaker 3: Now, this is all.
Speaker 2: Conspiracy theory, so I'm not you know, this is what was told to me that cal Ripton got liquored up and did something something something, got put in jail and was unable to play. The next day, the organization covered for him. Again, it's just a conspiracy theory. It's not going to change the record or anything. But this was coming from someone who was relatively in the know.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's only a conspiracy theory because nobody's coming out with the proof proof right.
Speaker 2: But if it does come out years later in some documentary, just know that that it had legs many years before.
Speaker 3: R right.
Speaker 4: But that's you know, that's called protecting your brand. It's not good for the brand.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: We can debate all day, every day and twice on Sunday if it's actually good for the individual because they get used to being coddled in such such a way and that could potentially increase bad habits that can affect you later on in life or in an incident like this. So I'm not saying it's a good thing. But protecting the brand is something most companies do.
Speaker 2: Right, and sometimes it gets so big that they can't right exactly. I remember Jim Orsay, now recently departed, got into some incidents of dui in sense and it got to be so big that they.
Speaker 4: Couldn't cover it right, right, The Dallas Mavericks the situation there with the harassment that got so big that no longer can cover it up, but somebody had been trying for a while, So yeah, always got to protect the brand. And in this case, I think the positive in this situation is because they were such good friends and they've known each other for so long. I don't know if there's any punished that they could have put on John Elway that was going to be worse than the punishment that he's probably feeling himself. So I mean, I get justice might not have necessarily been served, but I'm sure as far as like the family and stuff, he is doing things on his own, So I'm not sure that there's any punishment that could have matched what he's doing to himself.
Speaker 2: Speaking of punishment, we told you about the story of Joy Taylor and Foxfort Yes and how the lawsuit which came for which allege that Joy Taylor, among other things, was sleeping with an executive that which opened the door for her TV show which has now been canceled.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that when we come back to do it.
Speaker 2: And also Laila Ali is she getting back in the boxes better than not. Well, she's saying they offer the right money. She might at the age of we'll she walk out. We'll find out sixty Live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I Am six forty is Later Moll Kelly. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. And I got to tell you I enjoy speaking with Jackie Ray because I like talking about sports, but I don't want to get into all the stats and everything. I like the things circling around sports. And we told you some time ago, a few months ago about a lawsuit in which former now former Fox Sports television host Joy Taylor was named in a lawsuit which was filed by an ex employee, where Taylor allegedly told makeup artists Nushan Faraji, the person who filed the lawsuit, to get over the sexual harassment that she had been a victim of, allegedly and also by programming executive Charlie Dixon, who allegedly Taylor was in a longtime sexual relationship with Dixon, who is also married, that scandal I told you watched very closely is going to be very important. And it was announced today that Joey Taylor was either fired or her contract was not renewed, depending on how you look at at it, and the show that she was on those hosts Keishawn Johnson and Paul Pierce. That show was I think it was called The Breakfast Ball and the facility were also canceled.
Speaker 3: What do you make of this?
Speaker 2: Do you do you connect it to the lawsuit or am I connecting dots which aren't there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, it's absolutely connected. This is again what we just talked about in the last segment, protecting the brand. So do I think that this wasn't common knowledge before the lawsuit was filed? I absolutely do not. There's always you and I have been in this business long enough to know there's very few secrets in close quarters like that, right right I.
Speaker 2: May not be spoken of, but you kind of know. Some of it is rumor and conjecture, some of it.
Speaker 4: Is fact, and some of it is just blatantly obvious.
Speaker 1: I e.
Speaker 4: Your holiday party, that's where you literally find out a lot of tea some of the time. And it's not just about who can drink the most. Just since y'all keep backing that bus up over if.
Speaker 2: You're not aware, in the moviegos motown Chat, they are still discussing Chateau le Mo, the sare and how Jack Ray Daniels look.
Speaker 4: I just passed around the love nobody turned it down. So but now take that for example, if something had crazy, it happened, well, we have downplayed it, probably because it's not nobody's business, right, But if it affects the brand, it doesn't affect the brand until it affects the brand. And this is what this lawsuit did. So I think ESPN is just covering their tracks right now.
Speaker 3: You mean Fox? I mean, I'm sorry Fox. We don't want to throw them money. Yeah, we done. Sorry, bad bad, But staying right there.
Speaker 2: As far as women in sports, not necessarily sports media, but actual sports, Leila Ali, I don't know how serious she was. We know that she's undefeated, Phenom had last boxed two thousand and seven years ago. She threw it out to that she would be willing to come out of retirement and fight and fight Clarissa t Rex Shields for the right amount.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would fight Mike Tyson for the right I'm gonna run around the ring.
Speaker 2: But if you put one hundred million dollars out there and I can go out there and with some head gear, yeah, and a and a baseball bat, I might take my chances for thirty seconds.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Tyson will knock me out if he can catch me. But he's not gonna catch me on first pick.
Speaker 2: The first time he hits me, him going down like Sunday, that'll be it. And you can say what you want about me. But Laila a La said, yeah, for fifteen to twenty million, I come out of retirement, and before people just laughed it off. Remember we're in the world of Jake Paul right What I mean of that, the world of exhibitions where you have the older, more venerable, respected fighter fighting the up and coming young buck what have you.
Speaker 4: It's about spectacle, right I. So here's my think thinking on this one. And this is gonna be this is just conjecture, This is just my opinion. Layla was what was he twenty one fights, no losses, twenty knockouts something like that. Yeah, it's Banana's her record. You don't come out of retirement and try to tarnish that and not unless you broke. That's my opinion. I feel like this is a money thing.
Speaker 2: Would you start with no, no, no, no. I want to protect my legacy or something. I want to show that I'm the all time greatest, right, that's what they know. She said, no, No, You're gonna come up with the money, A whole bunch of money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on top of that. So I wouldn't. I wouldn't do that if I were here. Before I got here, I looked up to see if Clarissa had issued a response, and she did, and the response was crazy, let me see if I can find it. But she basically just said, you know what, I've been wanting to put you in your place. You're one hundred and seventy five pounds and forty seven. I will knock you out. And she would. I mean, she is an amazing fighter as well. And the reality of it is is like people once they passed And I think this is an athlete problem because we see this at every sport. Once people pass their prime, they have a hard time accepting that they are past their prime.
Speaker 2: Darryl Sexton in the Motown Chat says, hey, hey, hey, slow down. How long of a layoff did George Foreman have when he came back in the nineties and regained the heavyweight championship of the world, and he was, if I remember correctly, forty seven he was.
Speaker 3: Is that the exception which proves the rule? No, it's just the exception. It's just the exception. Well, I guess the rule is, yeah, you know, you're two damn old to.
Speaker 4: Becoming and why would you even want to suggest? And the thing is for me, if she had just said, hey, like if they had been beefing on X or whatever, and then she was like, all right, we're gonna have to put your money where your mouth is. That's fine, Okay, I get it. But the price tag to me says this isn't really about protecting her legacy as much as it is protecting her bank account.
Speaker 3: It's a payday fifteen to twenty million for someone.
Speaker 2: Who has not fought in at least seventeen years, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Even though it was undefeated.
Speaker 2: But we can't say that she is credibly one of the best in the world anymore?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And how could she be? You're not?
Speaker 4: People forget like the training that you do when you're active in your sport, is it? It's insane. There's no way she's training right now the same way she was training when she was fighting. Why would she.
Speaker 2: Nobody is as good at forty seven as the word twenty four. And I say that very humbly, right as someone who's practiced martial arts and competing.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm sorry, I'm not the same fighter I was.
Speaker 4: No ilso don't like working out like it's not fun.
Speaker 3: It's not fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to go sit down somewhere as we're.
Speaker 2: Talking about the elite athlete. Now, was she an elite athlete? Absolutely? Absolutely, but that was maybe three presidents ago, no four presidents.
Speaker 4: I think I think her bigger concern, and again this is just my opinion, y'all, and I love Leila Ali, but I think her bigger concern should be why isn't she working? Why isn't she commentating boxing like the men the women's Like there's something going on, whether it's a personality thing, ego or whatever. This woman should be commentating about boxing. We should be seeing her ringside. She shouldn't be asking for this kind of pay day because she should be getting paid right.
Speaker 2: She should be one of the loudest voices within female boxing community. Yes, not only does she have the pedigree and the name recognition just herself Leila Ali and of course the daughter of muhammadad right, but she was one of.
Speaker 3: The of the.
Speaker 2: Not necessar the forerunners, but the torch bearers of women's boxing.
Speaker 4: She made women's boxing relevant. She made it a sport that everybody, both men and women, looked at as oh, this is legitimate. She is a legitimately good fighter, full stop, so that legacy. No one can ever take that legacy away from her. So again, I think this should be a bigger She's She might need the money, I still stand by that, but let's listen, but let's figure out a way that we can get you paid consistently and still have your name be relevant in the sports you can you clearly still love without you having a step in the ring.
Speaker 2: Just want to let you know before we go to break, we have two Coachella Valley Coffee swag bags to give away tonight. Each bag contains some cool swag, some classic Coachella Valley coffee product, and a three month free coffee subscription. You get one two pound bag and one twelve ounce bag each month. So we're going to be giving away this in the next hour. Just want to let you know, so stick around for that, especially if you are a frequent listener to show. We know that I should say, you know that we love to give stuff away, so we're going to be giving away two Coachella Valley Coffee swag bags to night.
Speaker 3: Jackiu Ray, what are you working on on the Jackuary Show?
Speaker 4: So I have the David Irvin podcast coming out with the JACKU Ray Show, but that one, I'm really excited for people to hear because what he's talking about is the amount of pain that he was in as an athlete and how he chose not to take like the prescription drugs that most people get because he saw the addictions and things like that that come with those kinds of things. So he went, you know, the marijuana route, and then that's why he was covered for. But now he's trying to branch out and he's partnered with another company that does like holistic healing and he's trying to bring that to the public. So I'm excited for people to hear that one.
Speaker 3: And Jackie Ray, they can find you where everywhere.
Speaker 4: You can follow me on my website jackieatv dot com and all social media at Jackie Ray TV and it's our A E R A E j A c k I E R A E.
Speaker 2: Why do they keep misspelling your name in the check because they can literally see you you are participating.
Speaker 4: With I don't know, but but you know, y'all talk about me and drinking y'all read my name.
Speaker 3: Are also real quick. There's two things going on, talking about getting backed over the bus. And she's got some fans tonight too.
Speaker 4: Oh I got some fans.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, they are complimenting. You have some stalkers. Yeah, you have some stalkers. Some folks want people are trying to get some dates.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we got height requirements now, so post a hike start.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's not go there again. No, no, let's go there. What's what's the minimum? Oh it's like six to two. I know it's like six'. Five, no you a? Minimum said That i'm five to.
Speaker 4: Eleven six foot is, preferable but the LOWEST i would go would be five to.
Speaker 3: Nine as a six, FOOTER i think this is perfectly. Reasonable thank, you thank. You.
Speaker 2: Mark, no, yeah he's saying that he's as a six. Footer he's saying, That, okay, yeah not, you but he Mark ronner.
Speaker 3: As a six. Footer he's presenting. HIMSELF i love.
Speaker 1: That got.
Speaker 4: It gotta take the, shot, miss all the shots you don't.
Speaker 3: Take does that mean that you're accepting resumes in the?
Speaker 4: Chat, YES i mean because it's either except resumes OR i just got to buy that, man coon, Cat i've been.
Speaker 1: Eyeing you're listening To later With Moe kelly on demand FROM kfi A m six forty