Speaker 1: Yeah, you know where about years ago when he won the.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, you least if he's alone. People say, I have friends everywhere.
Speaker 3: I have friends everywhere.
Speaker 2: Those words.
Speaker 4: Okay, we've reached the end of June and this is Gloff culture, and boy are we spread out across America. We got Jonah Goldberg and Aspen, Colorado. Hi, Jonah, Hey John, You've got Rob Long in Princeton, New Jersey on a telephone because, as you may know, Princeton University not a friend to the Jews, and the Jews seem to have knocked out the internet in Princeton, New Jersey, thus leaving him solely on an iPhone. Is that right? I guess you know.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I I usually blame the Jews for everything but kind of tongue in cheic, and now you're telling me that I was right all along.
Speaker 4: Well, there you go. You know what, if we're gonna get blamed for it, we're going to take credit for it. Also, then, Wired buddy.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you haven't knocked out my all my internet. I still have a lot of internet capability left. It's got a ah ju kind of a half job.
Speaker 5: I think you're celebrating a little too soon.
Speaker 4: I you know what, according to my after battle reports, I believe that you are down to about three percent Internet and should try to use your Internet. I do want to know whether whether or not you are actually going to.
Speaker 1: We're going to shut you down according to the Jews that run Verizon or whatever I have, I don't think it's not Horizon.
Speaker 4: So you have Exfinityinity, because I just got a report from the Jews that you have Exfinity.
Speaker 1: According to the Jews that run Exfinity, I'll can have it back in twenty minutes, by seven twenty, they say seven twenty.
Speaker 5: So you know, I don't know. Look, I mean, I think you'rey maturely.
Speaker 4: John, Jonah, Hey, John, let me just ask you as you you're an Aspen I believe you're at the Aspen Ideas Festival. Has your brain grown with the with the incredible intellection on display at the Aspen Ideas, But do you feel yourself coursing with ideas, new ideas, fresh ideas, the ideas of the sort that can create an Antichrist and Peter thel which we'll get to in a minute.
Speaker 3: So the short answer is no. But I want to a little kind because they've been very gracious hosts to me and they treated me very well here. At the same time, I'm not one for interfacing networking, uh confabbing, and the amount of that sort of thing and weird words for like having a conversation has left me exhausted. The order people have emailed me to say, Hey, I see you're gonna be an Aspen. Do you want to talk about what we're doing to prevent Gerbil famine in Biafra or whatever? Is just it's just exhausting.
Speaker 4: But that's what Richard Gear said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know where you're going. You can't even drop a Gerbil reference without like, now, we're not even getting.
Speaker 4: That, Missoul, and we're gonna have to do a damage report. So I'm just going to be you and me Jonah talking here as as we do on a case, not only there, but just in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I would like maybe, uh, maybe we even turned this into a cross promoted remnant.
Speaker 4: Who knows there we got a cross promoted remnant? Yeah? Yeah, why not? Because because it's the two of us. Okay, so if it's the two of us, let's figure out what earth. So let me ask you, John, have you ever been to Aspen. I have never been to ask them, so I recommend SI ski.
Speaker 3: So it's very expensive here.
Speaker 4: It is not a billionaire.
Speaker 3: It is mind bogglingly the expensive. This morning, just to give you a level setting, I got three cups of black coffee, like regular drip coffee, twelve ounce cups, not even like the big sixteen kind of ounce cups, and two muffins forty nine dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's really expensive to haul stuff up the mountain base. I got to haul it up the mountain with these workers who, as I remember reading, like, have to live three hours away and somehow get there and then get home three hours back. I don't really care. I mean it's fine. Everybody I know who lives in Aspen loves Aspen or has a house and Aspen they don't even live. And no one lives in Aspen except rich people go to Aspen to ski. And then there are people work in the shops or their ski bums who who teach them skiing. So everybody should they should only enjoy and have a wonderful time, and you should have one full time at the Ideas Festival.
Speaker 3: I'm done with the Ideas festival. I mean, I might go to a party tonight, but I'm leaving in the morning and my wife. I brought my wife with me and we went to the Aspen Farmers Market, yes and a local had warned me that the Aspen Farmers Market is uh is all lip filler and doodles.
Speaker 4: What are doodles?
Speaker 5: What do you like?
Speaker 3: Laberdoodle, Bernie doodle, all of those doodles being like dogs.
Speaker 4: They sell dogs.
Speaker 3: It's like the dogs in Aspen, doodles of one kind.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to tell me about stuff being woke at the a or something at the Aspen No farmer's market like the Park Slope co Op.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was saying to somebody yesterday that, you know, you walk around the Aspen Farmers Market and there are a lot of tinctures of mountain mushroom things and clever soaps and candles and aroma therapy things. And I was like, where's the one table for the bored husband son, you know, the dude who just wants to see cool knives? Like there should have been one table with like just cool masculine things, and there was none. It was all skewed towards UH, very attractive women with lip filler walking doodles.
Speaker 4: And we are, of course you're talking about. Isn't that Lauren Bobert's district or it's right next to Lauren Bobert's district.
Speaker 3: I thought it was like Colorado Springs or something like that.
Speaker 4: I could be wrong. I'm wrong about many things, but I do know that, yes, there are many right wing people in Colorado. Not an assmen, not an Aspen. Okay. I wanted to share with you one woke piece of information because there's been a lot of talk on the right about how the woke is dead. Woke is dead. You know, people are really understanding now that everything went too far and people have got to pull it back and all of that. But I went to the theater yesterday. I went to see a new version of Pirates Dependzance on Broadway called Pirates depend Zance Musical at the Roundabout Theater, a theater company that's been around for like forty fifty years and is not noted for being particularly political. It is one of the few theater companies which I can say they do not look to stage extremely political things. Oh my gosh, it is Rob Long has returned to our broadcast here. How do I say, I am a sound good? Does it sound good to you? Now you're sounding bad? Okay? Oh go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well it was that I that the solution might be just to go on my phone and on my iPad.
Speaker 5: But apparently that's not a solution.
Speaker 4: No, Now it seems fine. You sound okay, You sound okay. Let's see how it goes, because we've already established as a baseline that you are going in and out, so if you go out, you'll go out. I just want to finish my story about going to the Roundabout Theater to see Pirates the Penzance Musical, as it's now called. It's Parts of Pendzance, but it's set in eighteen eighty in New Orleans. First half is fantastic, second half not so good. But that's because they said it New Orleans. And the great joke at the end of the Parts of Penzance is that all the pirates turn out to be noblemen's children, and they and they they come back into the gentry, you know, into the nobility, and they worship the queen and everything ends. And of course you can't have that in America. But here's the point in the lobby of the Roundabout Theater, there was a huge poster, and the poster says, we're all in this together. Theater exists only with an audience, and at Roundabout we're committed to getting better and better at welcoming everyone. So please feel free to engage with the show, genuinely, show kindness toward each other, don't judge others' responses, and don't presume you know someone else's story as they experience the show. And then, in big capital letters, we all play an ongoing part to dismantle racism, ableism, colonialism, discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation, and all other forms of oppression. Roundabout reserves the right to relocate or remove any person who disregards our intention to make our theaters and events welcoming and accessible to all. So they're trying to dismantle all forms of oppression, and they are thereby going to oppress anybody who objects to the means by which they are going to repress oppression or something. So this is why I say that while many people on the right think that wokeism is done, it ain't done. And now Rob is done because he is gone, he might come back, maybe he's horrified by what I said. Jonah, what is your experience with the supposed death of Woke, because I think we're prematurely saluting the death of Woke. Yeah, I see all.
Speaker 3: Of that kind of stuff as I mean, you and I are older though, to remember that before Woke there was political correctness, right, and like I see that as like, uh, like you know, tides in a wetland, you know, they come in, it goes out. I do think we are not going to see the high wa water mark of woke again for a while, but we're still going to have to walk through some sludgy wokeness from time to time to extend the metaphor inpermissibly.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like that metaphor. I think it's an excellent metaphor. You know what else is a little woke, But it's like one of the best things I've ever seen is the show The Pit. I feel it necessary to praise The Pit unreservedly. I've now seen seven episodes of the fifteen episode show, which is about one shift in an er in Pittsburgh. So each hour sort of like twenty four is an hour? Is it elapsed hour of time on one shift? And so I'm now an hour seven and it's about the best hospital show I've ever seen. It's by the people who made Er. In fact, there is a lawsuit in which the Michael Crichton the state claims that it was supposed to be a sequel to Er and they should get part of the profits. But it is just almost like the platonic ideal of a hospital show set entirely inside the hospital. You are on a shift in a hospital. There are doctors, there are patients, There are little patient stories. The doctors each have private lives. And as the show unfolds over these fifteen hours, and as I say, I've only watched seven of them, you learn who the doctors are, you learn what their relationships are, you learn about the nurses, you learn about the patients, and all of it is done in the same kind of heart pounding, quick moving camera, always moving way where you're moving from one patient to another, to another doctor, to a resident, to an intern, to a nurse, to the waiting room and so on. And it's a sensational achievement in television.
Speaker 3: So I have not seen it. I've heard a lot of buzz about it. My wife watched it without me I was traveling or something, some deep betrayal there, and she liked it, but she was surprised how much you liked it. She was like, really, pod like it that much? It's so didactic. That was her official response to your text.
Speaker 4: Ah. Interesting, Well, I can't say that I find it didactic. Yet maybe it gets more didactic as it goes, and as I say, it's.
Speaker 5: A little woke.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: There's a plot about a mother and taking a girl to the emergency room to get an abortion, and the mother showing up and saying, that's my daughter. You're pretending to be her mother, and she's seventeen and I don't want her getting an abortion. So there's that, and there's some other stuff. There's a transpatient, that kind of thing. But I just as a connoisseur of the medical show and a fan of the medical show since I loved Marcus Welby when I was nine years old. Marcus Welby MD huge hit when I was nine years old, number one show on television in like nineteen seventy one. I loved it. Then. I love doctor shows. This somehow is the instillation of everything that's good about doctor shows and throws away everything that's bad.
Speaker 3: Well, I will watch it, okay. But see, this is one of the advantages of Rob not being able to get on the podcast, as we can actually talk about pop culture, and then listeners should know. Every now and then Rob's either avatar or his visage reappears on our screen, and it's sort of like you get a kind of vibe like somebody drowning who's just coming back up to the surface to ask for help, and then they sink back down and disappear. So if we sound weird, it's partly because of that. Have you watched murder Bot on Apple TV.
Speaker 4: I've watched ten minutes of murder Bot and I really enjoyed it, and I want to go back to it, but I then somehow got sucked into the pit. So I need to go back to murder Bot on your recommendation, So I recommend it. I think we're allowed to out that we are friends with Cliff Asnes here. It's not like it's a secret. I recommended it to Cliff. He loved it, which is a good sign, and I think you will like it. Alexander Scarlsguard. I think that you say his name right.
Speaker 3: He actually has a really great dry comedic timing pattern that you know, it comes out a little bit in that succession show, very dry, very Swedish. But I think it's really really good. And when your biggest complaint is that the episodes are too short, that's a good sign.
Speaker 4: Can I just say that the scars Guard family, this is one hell of a family. So Alexander Scarsguard and his brother. He has a brother named Bill. Bill played nos Faratu in the really superb recent movie version of nos s Faratu and played Pennywise the clown in the first very scary movie of it and in the second terrible sequel to the first movie of it. Very interesting actor. And of course their dad is Stellin Scarsguard, who is one of the great actors of our time in the original movie Insomnia in ten thousand other Things, and and or of course, in which he plays luth and Reel the what would you call him? He's sort of like the spy. He's sort of like the James Jesus Angleton of the result. He is the spy Master of the Resistance. In the years before the Plans, you know, the before Luke Skywalker somehow gets his hands on the plans for the Death Star in in R two D two and sets off the plot of Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you got we should listeners should know that you and mac connetty did an excellent special episode the Conjurerary Podcast doing a very deep dive into and Or, which I agreed with you guys. I think and Or was the best. I would say it's the best television in a long time, but it was the best television built out of a bad television premise, you know what I mean? Yes, I know would say that. I mean because some of the you know, some of the Star Wars stuff is fine, some of it's bad, but like, to get that level of excellence with that background material was really, really, really impressive. I would argue the only thing that was more impressive, which started with better base material, was better Call Saul. The ability to make a sequel of a much loved, very carefully crafted drama using it without it being derivative, making it feel original but also tied to the original stuff was really really impressive, I thought.
Speaker 4: But Andre's yeah, I mean, And what people should understand about and Or is that is that it is a It is a political thriller about about how it's kind of three Days of the Condor in right, in Star Wars, Star Wars, in the Star Wars universe. So it's hard to it's hard to explain how bizarrely sophisticated it is compared to everything else in Star Wars, which is glorious, some of it, I mean, really the first two movies and the the rest is garbage, But I mean the is it the sophistication of the plotting of and Or, which is about how how how a resistance forms against a crumbling system that is being overtaken from within by a you know, by a dictatorial tyrant in the form of the Emperor is uh. I don't know, I've ever seen anything like it before. It's almost like it's almost like you would take a you know, you take a book for children, and then you would write Machiavelli's The Prints based on it or something like that. It's it's a degree of difficulty that it's a little hard to it's a little hard to explain. And then also it was and Or. The second season of and Or is, as a matter of structure, incredibly sophisticated. It's essentially three or four three hour movies or four three hour chunks of plot, each of each chunk taking a yeat, taking place a year apart, and so as a result, there's so little exposition. So it's like science fiction always dies with exposition in my experience. So it's like, first you get what it's like in this year, and then it ahead to the next year, and then you have to piece together what happened in the intervening eight months that you didn't see, and then you do it again, and then you do it again, and so you don't actually have the well since the last time we were together, don't get this apartment to hide.
Speaker 3: And ironically, you don't get the most Arguably, other than the Death Star and Lightsabers, the most iconic thing from the Star Wars franchise is the scroll of text at the beginning of the movies, which is kind of funny when you think about it, because that's what you kind of want between these episodes. Here's what's happened since the last episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has been a dark day for and Or. He trapped in an apartment and Coruscant with his beloved. He is going stir crazy. Yeah, they don't do that anyway. It's a very remarkable thing and it's a very interesting use of television. And the interesting thing is, well, the first season did not do very well in the ratings and was an incredibly expensive The second season was even more expensive and has proved to be an absolute rating sensation. Like it's a huge hit.
Speaker 3: And you say rating, I mean, like, what what does ratings mean on streaming on Apple TV?
Speaker 4: It's number. It's not Apple TV, it's Disney, so it is it's a number of hours watched. And so they they have all these firms now that somehow measure how many hours in aggregate something is watched, and sometimes the streaming services release those numbers, and sometimes they don't. So we know, for example that you know, there are shows that do shockingly well that you've never heard of, like Ginny and Georgia, and then there are shows that get enormous amounts of attention that I'm trying to think of what that like that don't rate at all.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like Girls in the Older.
Speaker 4: Right example, or mad Men, which nobody watched. Yeah, but so yeah, go ahead, no, that's okay.
Speaker 3: So since we're just it's like we're running with the ball here with pop culture because probs, now, have you seen twenty eight years later.
Speaker 4: You know what I haven't yet. I did see F one, so I can talk about F one, So I like twenty eight days and twenty eight weeks later though, Like, as you know, I'm not a big fan of the zombie thing, but I like Danny Boyle the director. So were you a fan?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I love the first one. I think the first one was actually pretty impressive, you know, iconic filmmaking. The second one it's like, remember that piece I did for you about Battlestarta sar Galactica. I feel like twenty eight weeks later suffered from the similar thing where they had to make it about the Iraq War and London becomes the green Zone, and it's it's a classic example of not thinking through your metaphors, because according to this then the Iraqis are the civilization destroying zombies, which is not like the argument that he kind of wanted to make, and so I thought it kind of failed on those purposes. Twenty eight years later is some interesting filmmaking. I should be very clear. My wife hated it with a blinding passion. My daughter liked it, and I really liked it. But it is a really British movie, and I'm kind of eager to read some British reviews of it because it plays on a lot of it's less a zombie movie than an English movie. It's really kind of interesting. And I could also do without the excessive male frontal nudity. I mean, all the frontal nudity is bothersome to me in this because it's it's grubby, dirty zombie frontal nudity, which is not you know, it's not my metier. But one of the things that this is not really a huge spoiler since twenty eight years later the way, because in the first two movies, the whole premise was if you can make it like a week, the zombie virus would die out because all the zombies would starve to death because they're not really zombies, they're not undead, they just have this crazy virus. So to make it last twenty eight years, you have to they have to have mutated somewhat, and one of the mutations is you get these smarter, stronger, faster alpha zombies and they're very y large, and they're very very as they would say, well endowed, and you get exposed to a lot of of zombie Schlongs, which I if I saw it alone I wouldn't love, but seeing it with my wife and daughter, I particularly didn't, you know, appreciate.
Speaker 4: So this negativity about zombie Schlanngs. I'm sorry, I find, I find, I find, I find. You know, you're that's very calm, stockish.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I would just say, you know, like like humanocentric and uh, you know, yeah, So basically what I what I I went to see F one. So F one is this multi zillion dollar Brad Pitt movie about Formula one car racing, in which they invented new cameras and they did they they they worked with Formula one and they were able to do this and Brad Pitt and his co star drove the cars during the Formula one races and you can see you can tell that it's them, according to what I read, and so you could you can't tell it to them. They're wearing helmets, it could you have no idea what you could just be a stunt man. That doesn't matter that they're driving the cars or not. And I thought it was kind of boring, and then I had this flash of revelation, which is that if you want to see a movie about good that has really good car racing sequences, you know what you want to see Pixar cars. Those were some hell of a car race car racing thing and sensationally good when when lightning with Queen ends up racing, and so I'm very enthusiastic about that. Compared to F one, all right, I got nothing. I've never been interested in Formula one. I'm not really interested in NASCAR either, And I have this natural could be completely unfair. It's based on a handful of anecdotes, but I just assume any promotion of Formula one is paid for by like Katari Middle Eastern interests who have some sort of back end deal, has to be a placement of something, you know. According to this movie, Brad Pitt goes to work for a team on f on on an F one that has lost three hundred million dollars in the current F one season, and there are I think ten teams in Formula one, and so if that's the case, then they're spending like one hundred and fifty million dollars each on these two cars that they make, and so it's a huge business. It's like a huge sport and a huge business and it's so boring, Like, what the hell, why does anybody want to watch this? Like I can understand, It's like they're going around and around and around. I've never in my toll I agetten ready three two to one. You probably started your business because it was your passion, and then you had to fall into all that HR stuff just to get through the day. And nobody's an expert in all areas, including HR. That's why we're excited about talking to you about an all in one solution that can give your time back so that you can do what you love most, growing your business. Bamboo HR is a powerful, yet flexible, all in one HR solution for your growing business. Stop spending countless hours on payroll, time tracking, benefits performance management. With Bamboo HR, those hours are shaved down to minutes. BAMBOHR also as robust hiring and onboarding tools that will streamline the process, creating better first days for those new hires. Over thirty four thousand companies trust Bamboo HR because it's an integrated system that is designed to handle your current and upcoming HR needs. Plus, Bamboohr prides itself on being super easy, easy to use, easy to learn, easy to implement and very easy to love. Take a couple minutes to check out the free demo and see how nimble and affordable this valuable tool can be. HR is hard, but Bamboo hr is easy. Check it out for yourself with a free demo at bamboohr dot com slash Free Demo. That's bamboohr dot com Slash Free Demo, bamboohr dot com slash and whole life. I've never understood this. Rob Long has returned.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 4: Let's see if he can stick around lights and everything, all right, Rob, So Rob, we've been talking about f one, which I didn't like. Jonah liked twenty eight years later. I like the pit, Jonah likes murder Bot. That's where we are. I'm not going to ask you what you like that you're watching, because you're probably not watching anything. So I think we should transition to the biggest cultural question of our time, which is how angry or not angry were you made? Or were what is anybody being made? By The New York Times list of the top one hundred movies of the twenty first century, as determined by a panel of five hundred celebrities and some other people and all of that, and I will just hand you my list of the top one hundred movies of the twenty first century. Number one, The Lives of Others, the two thousand and six, a German movie about the Astasi agent and the person whom he is tracking, and number two to one hundred. Eh, that's my list of the top one hundred movies of the twenty first century. However, I will say Jonah was talking about how twenty eight Years Later is a very British movie, and uh, they're one of the movies in the top twenty is Children of Men, and I want to talk quickly about Children Men. Okay, here's why I want to talk about Children Men Children Men made in two thousand and six by Alfonso Quoro and the Mexican director, set in a Britain, in a world in which no one in which no one has had children. No one has children, The last child was born eighteen year the human race is dying out, and it's.
Speaker 5: Right right the novelist, What do you want to say about it?
Speaker 4: Here's what I want to say about it. So it's a dystopian right wing novel about abortion, a metaphor for abortion and how abortion is going to kill off the human rights. That is what P. D. James, the writer means intended. That's what the book is about. It's about euthanasia and abortion and the evils thereof very religious allegorical theme. Alfonso qauaand makes what is one of the best directed movies ever made, with car chase scenes you cannot believe and with a level of visual gorgeousness that is just beyond belief. And he turns this into a story about the evils of people who don't believe in unrestricted immigration. That is what Children of Men is about. And according to this movie, Children of Men the number eighteen movie on the list or something. In a world in which no one's been born for eighteen years, suddenly somebody is pregnant. But it turns out that the person who is pregnant is an the legal alien to England. And so what do the authorities in England want to do when there is a miracle a birth, the first birth, therefore the human race will be saved. They have to kill her. They want to kill her because she is an illegal alien and she can't be the one to have a baby, so they'd rather have the entire human race die off than let her live, which is so a psychotic plot and kind of ruins the whole. It's like, what, like, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. I thought I see your point.
Speaker 1: To me, it feels more like that book Camp of the Saints, because obviously Europe has been destroyed by decades of sort of lackluster enforcement of immigration rules and a giant wave of immigrants to not only to Europe but also, I mean to you, not only to England, which where its set, but also to like Europe. There's a whole there's a whole subplot about people trying to save the great works of Western art because they were being destroyed in Rome and places like that. So it's a little more complicated than that seems to me. Although I can't, I just remember there was. I just remember it as an astonishing, the great movie, incredibly great stuff in it, and I think, actually I would say, if you want to go back to twenty eight days later, twenty eight weeks later, I haven't seen the twenty eight years later, twenty eight weeks or twenty eight months.
Speaker 5: What it san was the middle one.
Speaker 1: What I liked about that was that the Great villain or the person who blew it. Right, they had sort of contained this virus on the island, and the person who blew it was the person who showed mercy, momentary mercy, who momentarily did a human thing and said, Okay, I'm not suppos I'm supposed to shoot you, but I'll.
Speaker 5: Let you in.
Speaker 1: And that was the beginning of the end, at beginning of the that was the second beginning of the second end. So I just, I mean, I just think that's really that was really clever and wise, and.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed it. But what's the.
Speaker 1: Most depressing thing about what you're saying to me is, of all of the things you've said that have depressed me, the most depressing thing you've said to me is that The Lives of Others was one of your number one movies for the twenty first century, because it just seems like it was such a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I know that thing freaks me out too.
Speaker 5: And now you're telling me that it's.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know whether that makes me feel really really old or just kind of out of touch or both.
Speaker 5: It was twenty way.
Speaker 4: Years ago, was released twenty years ago. That's or nineteen years ago, So it is kind of kind of amazing. But if you consider what has gone on in the world of filmmaking and this list, actually, if you guys want to listeners, want to go look, just go look at the list, and you will see the ways in which the cinema, as the dominant form of the twenty the dominant cultural form of the twentieth century, has ceased being the dominant cultural film in the twenty first because these hundred movies, half of them aren't very good. Half of them are chosen for, you know, obvious political reasons. But whatever they are, they are small, they are unambitious.
Speaker 5: There you don't have to have seen them. I mean you don't. I mean you don't have to have seen it.
Speaker 1: You had to see close accounts of the third kind, whether you liked it or you didn't like it, you saw it. But these, like you know, you don't have to see these movies. There's still I mean, the problem with the entertainment business in general is that they made more product, and they made more of everything, except there's still the same number of hours in the day. You still got to sleep and eat and like not watch something. There's a period of time when you're not watching something. It's crept into the working hours because I think most people spend a good third of their day at work watching YouTube videos and TikTok videos. But that just eats inndy of the time, and so you know, we I was arguing with a friend of mine saying that, you know, with a great internet move was that they monetized nine to five. There was a time when nine to five you were kind of out of touch, like you couldn't if you would walk through your office and people were sitting there reading magazines, you'd be like, you find But if you walk through office down, everybody's kind of on the web. It's like the kind of typing a thing it doesn't like you don't that's actually considered fine.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like that Netflix Netflix. Remember the Netflix executive who said that they consider their real competition sleep. You know, like it's kind of creepy and scary, but they have point. I guess say, I kind of disgrace. I think both of you guys are being a little too dyspeptic about this list. I mean, I agree there's some the list rank rankings almost always terrible, particularly when The New York Times does rankings, but there's some comparison. But like Mad Max Fury Road is a great movie. Uh, you know, once upon a time in Hollywood it was a great movie in Glorious Bastards. I have a soft spot for it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: There there are a bunch of like legitimate, like good movies on here, and you know, like the Coen Brothers, A big chunk of their work is been in the last twenty five years. And I think the Cohen Brothers are great, you know, uh, you do get the sense that the curation of this list is is you know, you know, yeah, Camel's course made by committee kind of vibe. But there's you know, like A Dark Knight I think is a great movie.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm not saying otherwise.
Speaker 3: It's a big movie and people feel like that.
Speaker 1: I would say, but I think John's correct in the sense that I think that there has been a little bit of loss of losing their way because there you know, there's just so much extra competition. But I would say the bell Weather, the bell Weather, I mean, I'm sure of this is my my new theory. I'm working on the bell Weather for whether there's going to be a future here or not.
Speaker 5: For mass show business, mass entertainment.
Speaker 1: It's whether they can produce in one year three comedies in a row, just three.
Speaker 5: Consider they used to pot but you know.
Speaker 1: Really actually generate one a week in the heyday and the summer had won a week. Because comedy is this thing that you it's pure intuition, You, the audience, and the executives. Either they laugh or they don't laugh, and the laughter is totally involuntary, and it happens before you have a chance to think about it, so you can't Actually your brain doesn't work fast enough to say that is an offensive statement. I'm not going to laugh at it. I mean, you've laughed already and then you get angry and you made Mostly the anger is because you laughed because I tricked you into laughing at this racist joke. But that that's be the true I think that's gonna be.
Speaker 5: The that's the the green shoot, that's the uh, you know, groundhog day moment. If if if.
Speaker 1: Show business can't do that, then they've lost the thread completely because they're now it's not able to do anything at all.
Speaker 5: That everything has to be planned out, and you know.
Speaker 1: Like I always wanted to go into the meeting and see the meeting where you know, Will Ferrell pitched Anchorman, Like, what was that meeting?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, if you're the executive, Well.
Speaker 4: Well I know what that meeting was.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you mentioned that because I was listening to a podcast about Anchorman last week. There's a podcast that is also doing like the twenty five best movies of the twenty first century, and Anchorman was one that they chose, and I was thinking about Anchorman, and Anchorman was interesting because you can summarize, and this is also true if there's Something about Mary, you can do a log line or a summary of the movie that is straight. Right. A TV station in San Diego is thrown into chaos when it is decided that the all male news team has to be integrated with a woman as the co host. Right, that's the plot. That is the plot of Anchorman. The plot of There's Something About Mary is a man hires a private detective to find the girl that he loved in high school, and the private detective falls in love with her too and wants to win her back. Then you take these plots, you take these totally conventional. One of them is sort of like a TV is like is like a social drama plot and the other is like a classic romantic comedy triangle and then you go totally bananas.
Speaker 1: But but you don't, But you don't do that in the meeting. You just you know, if you're in the meeting, you just trust that it's gonna be funny, even though I mean, I'm sure that if there was pitch them, half these comedies when they pitch them are like, I don't know, wait what they all suddenly sing afternoon Delight. Wait a minute, all the anchormen go and they chop each other.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. You could have handed in a script for Anchorman that was straight and then you improvised on top of that.
Speaker 1: Saying you can't do but you can't start improvising until you've got the money, right, So what I'm saying is the green light of the meeting was based on the idea that, well, these are funny people and they have kind of a funny idea, and they're going to get some of their friends to be in it, and I don't know, I mean, it seems funny and that or maybe maybe you say, I know, I know, I knew an executive for a long time when She started every meeting by saying, listen, I have no sense of humor whatsoever.
Speaker 5: But that was fine because she's like, but you do, so you just do the funny thing.
Speaker 4: And it is amazing that until twenty eleven or twenty twelve, comedy was like horror is now, comedy was the most reliable Yeah, box office thing. You made it for relatively modest money, and you got five times your return if the movie if people liked the movie, so you were you were guaranteed of five times your opening weekend or your budget if people liked it. And then something happened. I think Ferguson happened. I'm not entirely sure what happened. Something happened where everybody got scared to.
Speaker 5: Make everybody got scared. And the problem is that if you get the hang Out.
Speaker 4: The Hangover made Hangover, which is again a comedy that sounds like a it sounds like a thriller, right, it's what happened to the group, Yeah, what happened to the group. The groom is missing. The groom is gone, and the ring is gone, right, and that's the the and it was filmed that way, and then it's a crazy comedy right, So the hangover was huge. They made two sequels, they both made a huge amount of money, and then the entire business collapsed like a house of cards. I don't even know when the last big multi you know, unless unless you say, like Deadpool is a superhero? Is a movie like that in the is a Farley Brothers or one of those in the Guys of a Superhero movie? But okay, so that's stopped.
Speaker 3: I think the according to Cannon on this podcast, is the last great movie you can't you can't, you're not allowed to make was Tropic Thunder.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah you can't. Yeah, I don't think you can even. I think you're I think you're in trouble for even mentioning.
Speaker 4: You couldn't even go to a You couldn't mention it in a meeting, right, you couldn't mention.
Speaker 5: You And yet and yet you can't hear this.
Speaker 3: This is my It's a fantastic movie.
Speaker 5: It's a fantastic movie. This is my problem.
Speaker 1: Jack Black is tied up and he's making all sorts of promises to die, just get some arrow, and it is so great. Uh, but I guess you can't say those things in Hollywood. But that is all over TikTok, it is all over Instagram reels. There are funny people who are making huge, huge, I mean, I don't know how to make a lot of money. They get huge audiences because they are absolutely one hundred percent willing to swing with a fence content wise.
Speaker 4: Now, can I talk about something that you and I both admired and I admired to my absolute shock, But it speaks to your idea that the thing about commentary is that there's no faking. It's involuntary comedy comedy.
Speaker 1: I'm not comedy, not commentary in the spell Burn Coast.
Speaker 4: No, I'm I'm trying to do product placements.
Speaker 5: O great, okay, tasting copper lights out, go ahead, okay, go ahead, okay.
Speaker 4: Comedy is involuntary, and then you laugh. There's no way to stop you from now. So I have two stories. One story is about there's something about Mary. In nineteen ninety eight, I went to the News Corp Senior Retreat in Sun Valley, Idaho, by one place close to Aspen that I've ever been, News corpor treat led by Peter Sherman, then the number two person at Fox and the higher executive, and I was then an executive at news Corp. Because I was at the Weekly Standard or nineteen ten ninety seven, I can't remember what year it was. And it was an amazing experience, like three days lavish, you know, panel discussions and this and then and then one they said, okay, everybody, go to the movie theater at Sun Valley. We're going to show you a movie that's going to open in three months. And then this movie starts and there's Ben Stiller and he's in a tuxedo and he's going to his prom and then he zips out. He goes to the bathroom, and then he zips up his he zips up his pants and Schlong gets caught in the zipper when he screams, and the entire executive core of News Corps screamed with laughter and then spent the next two hours screaming with laughter. I hadn't heard of this movie. No one had heard of it. No one had had you know, nothing. It came out of nowhere, and it was kind of a genius thing that Turnon had done to sort of say, hey, everybody should be excited about what we're doing here at the movie studio. Because that was something new. It was something entirely new. It broke every boundary and changed the way people made movies for fifteen years. There's something about Mary. Okay, I just saw another, another thing with the word Mary in it. It's a play on Broadway.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, Mary, did you like it?
Speaker 4: I thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever.
Speaker 5: He It is insanely funny.
Speaker 4: But it's exactly eighty minute. Yeah, it's it's eighty minute. It's exactly describe it.
Speaker 1: It's a ninety minute, no no intermission, crazy farce in which a guy named Cola Scola, who's actually really really funny if you look him up, He's did some really great like YouTube stuff.
Speaker 5: He plays Mary. Todd Lincoln.
Speaker 4: He wrote it right, he wrote he wrote, he wrote it. I didn't see a minute. He's not in it now, so I can say that it works without me.
Speaker 1: He was very talking Lincoln, you know, a revision a revisionist history, historical view, in which she is a drunk, frustrated cabaret singer married to a struggling and deeply deeply closeted gay President Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 4: Not that closetive.
Speaker 5: Well, me and the place is pretty funny.
Speaker 1: And it's a it's a new way of looking at the events at Ford Theater.
Speaker 5: I'll just leave it at that about.
Speaker 1: But it's noisy and loud, and it starts at like at like ninety thousand miles an hour, and people are acting like, oh my god, this is the most most amazing thing in Broadway ever. It was really funny. Here's what it was. It's a Marx Brothers play. It's just a big, loud, noisy, kind of dumb but hilarious, right. And there's one running gag in which he keeps saying there's a war on and she looks at him. She was but between against who who with yeah, and it's.
Speaker 4: And he says he says the south and she says south of where It's like anyway. It is stupid, and it's deliberately stupid, and it is a crazy yeah, Barce and you. I didn't want to see it because I thought it was going to be woke. It's like, there's a time Lincoln and there's a drag queen playing Mary Todd Lincoln, and the whole thing is just going to be some kind of a message without a message. There is no message.
Speaker 5: There's no message.
Speaker 1: The play when I saw who originated the role played Lincoln Conrad Rick Moro does this thing where he is trying he is a big monolog where he's swearing off any sort of gay desire or activity, and he's like he kind of is like a mind piece where he's like saying no more. Physic like he kind of mime's putting it in a box and then locking it away and then putting the box away on a shelf, and he does it so great. I haven't seen a physical comedy like that a long time. It's really really funny. And of course, at any given moment, all of those people would be in sitcoms that you know, you watch sitcoms from the seventies and they're all these Broadway actors inappropriately cast.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, it's like the idea that.
Speaker 1: Hal Linden played a detective was like ridiculous, but it was the seventies and.
Speaker 5: And you know, I Hindy Winkler could play a cool.
Speaker 4: Agree with that at all. How Linden struck me very much as like a bronx guy who Jewish precinct.
Speaker 5: Why I'm a must to investigate this crisch what it was. I mean that show was good, but it was like, come on, just like.
Speaker 4: His name was how ellipsips.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Well, I went to I went to element to middle school with his daughter Amelia, So you how Linden out of your goddamn mouth.
Speaker 3: I went to grade school with Barbara Barry, who played Barney Miller's wife, Uh, with.
Speaker 4: Her son, with her son Aaron Harnick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then and then I was on Judith Reagan's Fox talk show with Barbara Barry. It was a supporter of Clinton's impeachment on the grounds that Clinton did wrong in the Oval was very did not behave properly in the Oval office. Wow, Barbara Barry, missus missus uh, missus Barney Miller.
Speaker 5: I know that we went.
Speaker 1: Can I just I want to I've been traveling. I just want to change the subject by can briefly yes, because.
Speaker 5: I want to get you. I want to get your thoughts here.
Speaker 1: I was traveling around and I was in Egypt, uh, and I discuss I was in Cairo, and I wanted to go to Alexandria, and the Egyptian economy is terrible, especially against the dollars, is terrible.
Speaker 5: So I say, oh, how do the one.
Speaker 1: So I go to the hotel concierge and I say, how much would it be to hire a car to drive me from Cairo to Alexandria.
Speaker 5: It's about a two and a half hour drive.
Speaker 1: And she does a little whatever it's round because it'll be about five hundred US dollars. I said, okay, thank that that's a little more than I want to spend. Okay, So I go and I sit for a minute, I have a cup of coffee, and then I'm with my gods. And then he says, want me to check uber? How much would it be on uber? So we check uber forty bucks? So obviously we choose the Uber. But I'm not feeling like, well, you know, I don't want.
Speaker 5: To be just a.
Speaker 1: Jerk about this. So I thought, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna dig the uber and we're gonna give him a tip on Uber. But I'm also gonna give him another tip in cash equal to the price of the ride. So another forty dollars, right, And I felt really good about that, except, of course it was only forty dollars. He's it's still ridiculously low, and I just didn't quite know how to navigate my my my love of a good deal, and also my feeling like, well, I don't really you know. I mean, the guy's gonna drive for two and a half hours one way into a half hour.
Speaker 5: It's a five hour day for him, no matter how he looks at it. I think eighty bucks.
Speaker 4: You're saying, you're saying it would have been cultural appropriation to give him the forty dollars tip.
Speaker 5: No, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: What's the moral dilemma?
Speaker 5: Yeah, should shouldn't have been more?
Speaker 1: I mean, if I was really trying to solve that problem, would I want to, like, well, like if I thought, okay, well in America, give.
Speaker 4: Him a hundred gave a hundred percent tip, like that that's the best day he's ever had.
Speaker 3: I mean, the moral of this story is that the hotel you were staying in is price gouging its Western cians, not that you think.
Speaker 4: Do you think that that driver is getting five hundred dollars?
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, the.
Speaker 4: Person the desk clerk is getting two hundred and fifty dollars, right, and the dispatcher is getting one hundred and fifty dollars, and the driver is getting forty dollars and then the I don't know, somebody else is getting sixty dollars. So that's you see that I did math there on the future. A very impressed there, Okay, I I don't see that as a as a dilemma as a dilemma dilemma. By the way, just just to let you know, Jonah got a muffin this morning at an Aspen that costs five hundred dollars and we should have given them forty dollars.
Speaker 5: Sure, and since what see what they did, one of the smuffets could drive you to Alexandria.
Speaker 3: What So speaking of driving, just so you guys know, I am we never had an EV, but we my wife and I have never driven an EV before, and since we were going on the strip and it was easier to fly into Denver, we rented an EV. And long story short.
Speaker 4: You ran out of a battery.
Speaker 3: We think Avis screwed us by telling us the battery was fully charged and with one hundred miles left in the Colorado Mountains, the car said, you have you're at fifteen percent battery, find a battery right away. And it was a very frustrating, annoying process.
Speaker 4: So everybody, I know that I know who has had a fully battery charged car has some story. Not that we all haven't run out of gas. Sure, Like I ran out of gas the first year I owned a car. I ran out of gas twice. I was eighteen years old, So I deserved what I got, like in Chicago and all of that. So I'm not I'm not judging, but people do say, like this is ridiculous, like that they don't. It's like your computer, it doesn't hold the charge it claims to hold. Also, like you know, how you're on your computer and it says it's like seventy percent and then you like type for fifteen minutes and you look and it's like, oh, it's an eight percent. What the hell happened? So I called.
Speaker 3: I called friends of mine who have Tesla's and they said that part of the problem is like Tesla would never allow you not to know how much battery you have left. But like this Kia Nyro, whatever the thing it was like I don't know if it's Avis's screw up or whatever, but like no one told us like where the setting is and it's not obvious anywhere on the dash, and so we didn't know. We took their word for it when they said it was fully charged. And then so we find a place to charge it this sort of close to the summer ski resort, you know, and plug it in and we don't know anything about the plucking thing, and it's charging, and then we look at the dash and the thing says you'll be fully charged in forty four hours, which we found pretty inconvenient. Unfortunately, some nice lady said no, no, no, no, you gotta go to a paid charging station. Go to the Walmart in Frisco, plug in and you can get charge. We did twenty five bucks for took us forty minutes to get to eighty percent. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Another anecdote, evy anecdote. A friend of mine had dinner with an old friend of mine who's a started the kind of an audio engineering he's part of an are you engineering company that just started here in New York, and hit one of his partner, actually's boss has a cyber truck and they use it to take the stuff around. And so she left the country said, look, just drive it cyber truck around when you when you're taking you know, your the load in the equipment and everything, and just you know, just just keep it and you can just park it. And so he's you know, he lives in Brooklyn and he's driving around and it's that he can see that he's running out of juice somehow, and uh, and he's now he's really, really, really parent and freaking out. He finally finds a place to park and he parks it, and the next day he comes to get it and it's covered in what is clearly dried spit.
Speaker 5: Or worse.
Speaker 4: Because of Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then he gets in the car and he's trying to park it in the parking lot by the office, and they're like, yeah, there'll be one hundred fifty dollars an hour. Well, I think my boss parks it here for less, No, no, one hundred fifty dollars an hour. And he finally finally parks on the street again. So clearly there's a problem in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Probably having a cyber truck is is not not a good choice.
Speaker 4: I yes, by the way, before we go, I mentioned this at the beginning of the show, But one of the most astounding things I've ever listened to is the podcast that Ross.
Speaker 3: Down Keep Oh, I tell them listened to this.
Speaker 4: He told me with Peter Thiel, Oh no, and which Peter Teal kind of says he is the Antichrist. He's been giving speeches on the Antichrist. And then he describes essentially salvation, kind of Christian salvation, I guess as a form of transhumanism, which strikes me as and I think Ross basically said, so are you Are you saying that you don't think the human race should still exist? And Peter pauses for.
Speaker 7: A uncomfortably long time for he kind of acknowledges that, yes, the human race should probably exist.
Speaker 4: You've got to listen to this thing. It is I don't even know what to make of it. But the other really interesting thing is that he said he had had a conversation with Elon Musk three weeks ago. Of course they started PayPal together, and that Elon he's very disappointed in Elon. He's disappointed in everything. Nothing is working well, as you may know, and everything is terrible, and that Elon is no longer interested in going to Mars. It always ever wanted to go to Mars, but Elon is no longer Why because they're just going to get there and then it's all going to be woke. Woke. AI is going to take over Mars, and he doesn't want to go to Mars anymore because it's just going to be woke. And I thought to myself, I thought to myself, this is really these guys have too much money, and having this amount of money and thinking about things like going to Mars and whether or not you can live forever and that kind of thing is literally driving them insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's also so irritating. All those guys, especially those two that you mentioned, feel this idiotic undergraduate need to have one big, unified theory about everything that is also shocking, and so that you're supposed to go, oh my gosh, that's just shocking camp and that it's so incredibly exhausting and tiresome.
Speaker 5: And the irony course is that that especially for Elon.
Speaker 1: I mean I think I pet Peter at now no longer has a hedge fund that he ran into the ground.
Speaker 5: But Elon.
Speaker 1: Has lost lost the thread of his companies because he's too busy having big thoughts. On Kenemine, none of this is necessary. Just you don't have there aren't any big thoughts. You don't have to be smart, you don't really have to have. You know, you can be smarter one thing and not have to have any any skills in anything else. It's as stupid as if Peter thiels something he said, you know, I'm also an opera singer, So AWESO can I can?
Speaker 3: I just put forward a thesis and you guys can read or disagree. I'm going to just stipulate. I'm going to assert with a high degree of confidence, based solely on my reading of like the Red Mars book and watching the movie The Martian. Okay, that the first let's say ten years on Mars are going to be difficult. They're going to be stressful, they're going to be set backs. Sure, And just as there are no atheists in Foxholes, I am deeply skeptical that wokeness would play an important and distracting role as people are trying to figure out how to survive on a planet that does not have an atmosphere conducive to human life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think I think there a lot of people would go to Mars specifically because there is no woke there.
Speaker 4: Well, that was what Elon was kind of saying, and then his experience in government has now led him to believe that there's no avoiding it, you see, So he's out. Someone else can go to Mars. Now. I also want to talk about the other theme of this podcast of Teal and Ross Douth, and so Ross Douth that, as you know, is a is a originator of the idea that we now live in a decadent society, by which he is not speaking about moral decadence, but rather the fact that the culture has become uninventive, or has become regressively invented. It invents nothing, It simply regurgitates and makes sequels to sequels to sequels, and creates nothing new in all of that. And that Teal, of course also said they promised us flying famously said they promised us flying cars, and we got one hundred and forty characters. Right, We've got Twitter instead of flying cars. And I think that both of these theories are I mean, Ross is kind of interesting. And I myself said, I think, you know, movies no longer have the standing that they used to, and obviously people don't read great books, maybe the way they use it's hard to know. But the idea that we are an uninventive world, or that this the last twenty five years have been tech know logically stagnant, which, of course also Larry Summer said and others have said, seems to me so unbelievably psychotic that I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that we are living through a period as revolutionary as the Industrial Revolution, and leaders of it, intellectual leaders of it, financial leaders of it, economic leaders of it, fit thought leaders of it are unable to see that fracking and Musks owned SpaceX, and the kind of warfare that Israel and America just engaged in in taking down Iran and all of that aren't hallmarks, along with the fact that it cost you forty dollars to call magically call a car to drive you to Alexandria on a device that didn't exist seventeen years ago in your pocket, and that people think that we're technologically stagnant? What the hell is going on? How can they believe this? I don't I'm not a scientist, but I mean, like, this is an age of miracles and wonders. So I know.
Speaker 3: The most interesting panel I attended at the Aspen Ideas Festival where I am in is uh uh. David Petraeus and this woman and New Newburger used to be at the who was the.
Speaker 4: Head of terrorism at the NSC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and very impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first the first Hasidic Jew I believe or ultra orthodox jew to be in a high position in government.
Speaker 3: And I looked up. I looked up for bio and fun trivia. Her dad was on the plane that was hijacked in Entebbe. Wow, isn't that wild? So like BB's brother helped rescue her dad. Kind of kind of cool. Anyway, Betrayus made this case very persuasively that like we're talking about the future of the panels, on the future of war, and he says, look, at least going by what's going on in Ukraine, tanks are over, Like there's no tank that can survive the battle space between Russia and Ukraine. He said, all of the abrams that we sent are either completely destroyed or completely disabled, and that you can't just can't send tanks in there. You can't even send normal military formations. I mean, I know this is not the progress that teel. You know, it's not flying cars, but like things are changing really friggin fast.
Speaker 1: It's because of little flying devices. I mean, there's flying the three dollars. Yeah, decadence seems to me to be an example of this kind of short sightedness.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Decadence is when you're like, oh, nothing's happening, I'm so bored. Well, where a by flying cars? And that that it's a form of ingratitude.
Speaker 5: I think the second thing I would just say is that, I mean.
Speaker 1: What we see happening now, especially in technology, is that is the product of the digestion of a lot of things that were innovated in the past fifteen twenty years. So you have to actually there's a lot of capacity that that has to find a reason and has to find a point and then has to be digested and put into something. And sometimes there's are good things, and sometimes there's a bad things, or sometimes there's a important things.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they're not.
Speaker 1: But a lot of a lot of these products that we use now and we think are like AI is simply another way of organizing data, right, But the data itself has been being collected for twenty years and been sorted and tagged for twenty years. And the third thing is like, I can't imagine a worse world than one in which there are flying cars.
Speaker 4: Either, I don't want to flying car.
Speaker 5: I don't want to flying car. Most people can't on the road. The idea that infinite amount of I know.
Speaker 4: But it's also like an infinite amount of vertical space. Like the thing about roads which is good is that they is that they eliminate it's just horizontal space. You got nothing. The only thing that's a problem with vertical space is a tunnel, whether or not you're.
Speaker 1: In a above you who won't move.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the question. Trucks for flying cars to have windows that roll down, because otherwise people are going to throw stuff out the window, right, and that's a problem.
Speaker 4: I don't know. This is the thing about these guys. It's so crazy, like there are these cars driving all around Los Angeles that don't have a driver, right. I mean, that's not that you want a flying car or you want a driverless car. Like I don't understand why Again, I get the point, which is that we all got this book which showed the Ford dream Car and it could fly, and then you could fly. You can fly, Go buy a plane if you can afford it. You can buy a plane, and also showed you I recommend.
Speaker 1: Button and then a little stick of chewing gun comes out and it's roast beef or whatever. Like, there's a lot of stupid futurism that like it sounds horrible to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just invented a or three years ago that is going to solve the obesity problem on the planet Earth by figuring out that if we just somehow with were able to mass produce the internal secretions of the stomach of the Gila monster, that no one will ever be fat again. Okay, this is an age of wonders and Gillicle.
Speaker 5: Thank God for I can only I think.
Speaker 1: I think the end of these what do they do, lipto glue tides, whatever they're called. I think that there's going to be something weird that's going to happen to everyone who's taken them in twenty five.
Speaker 4: We're all going to become a Gala monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or it'll be some enormous horn or something. It'll be some thing that you'll you'll be oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Take the plot of Iron Legend, you know, the movie version of I Am Legend with Will Smith, which came up with a very interesting solution to the question of how the world becomes zombies, which is that at the very beginning, Emma Thompson is a doctor who says, we've cured cancer, and so everybody takes this drug to cure cancer. Ten years later, everybody is a vampire except for Will Smith. It was sort of an interesting you know, but we do have the FDA, you know, and I know I know you still No, now you're sounding like Robert F. Kennedy Junior. Don't take the semi glue, tid you get a horn in your head?
Speaker 5: No, no, I'm not. I'm not saying that. I'm saying it. You know, like half of.
Speaker 4: The people were had placebos and they didn't and they didn't get a horn in their head, and then the people who took it didn't get a hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Rob wasn't here for this earlier conversation, and now my wife is in the room and she's gonna hear me say these words. But I feel like we have to call back to the earlier conversation about zombie schlans, and.
Speaker 4: It's very important zombie schlangs. Yeah, well, the thinner the thinner man gets the longer, the larger his schlong appears relative to the rest of his body.
Speaker 1: So wait, can you can you just give me a quick recat just just I know we have to run, but just a quick.
Speaker 4: Years later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife really didn't like that movie. Uh, my daughter kind of liked it, and I really like it. But one of the things I agree with my wife about I could have used a lot less full frontal nudity, particularly from the Alpha zombies with their strom thurmoned adjacent zombie schlongs. And so that's what we were talking about.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jason, But here's my question to you, Boris talker. Yes, what does what does the Milton Burls girl King of the.
Speaker 1: What does the I mean I'm trying to recognizing they were in a by the way, since we did the one where were the Glock where we.
Speaker 5: Talk about like, I don't know, should keep doing this?
Speaker 1: People have come up to me to tell me kind of very emotionally, yeah, you got to keep doing it.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, really because and I guess I guess I the.
Speaker 1: Foundational my foundational reason for asking really like that way is because of what I'm about to ask, which is I'm going to see the movie eventually.
Speaker 5: But what what what is a zombie schlang supposed to do? I mean, they don't procreate, right.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's supposed to capture the gaze of the movie audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the male games so so wait, so a zombie schlong is like that.
Speaker 5: That's the original sort of butterface right.
Speaker 1: Like way of that, but you know, except for the face which is half caved in.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, pleasure to please say hid Jessica for me? She my zoom background. Yes, I know, I know, so wedn't have to see her, but I would love to see her. And I hope to see her soon. Rob, I hope to see you soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, while I'm around.
Speaker 4: Uh and uh and we will. We'll be back in July with maybe a different body part that we can focus on, different zombie part.
Speaker 8: Well, it's really quite simple.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like.
Speaker 8: Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tighte, gonna grab some afternoon deal. Like my motto has always been, when it's right, it's right. While waiting until the middle of a cold, dark night, we everything's a little leer in the light of day, and we know the night is always gonna be any way.
Speaker 4: Taking up.
Speaker 6: He's working on my alber tie, looking forward to a little afternoon daylight. Robin Stixon stones together make us Party nine, and the thought of loving you is getting so exciting sky rockets in flight.
Speaker 8: Afternoon Delight, you guys have it.
Speaker 4: I though, Afternoon Delight.
Speaker 6: You don't know, Ron, that sounds kind of crazy, sounds like you have mental problems.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, you got mental problems. Man. Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 8: Man, Afternoon Daylight. I want to make a phone call there