Speaker 1: Let the celebration start.
Speaker 2: War Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We're gonna welcome in Dan Patrick to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dan Patrick's show, Hall of Famer legend, you know does it all and award winning Dan Patrick? And you know he used to Dan you started your career? Where'd you spinning records? In Cincinnati?
Speaker 1: Where'd you start? Didn't you start as a DJ?
Speaker 3: Ind at the University of Dayton. I had my own show ten to one at night. Therefore I did miss my classes, my eight o'clock class, my my senior year. I think I went first day, mid term final. We'red I got a D minus. Yeah, you passed it, though I did. I did pass it, and I would spend records at night. Loved it. So Bill love music more than anything you do.
Speaker 2: And I mean do you have like I mean you hit the post a lot. We've talked about that. I mean, I mean, can you are Is it too early in the morning to ask you to give me one like the weather and who's you know who?
Speaker 1: The cuts playing?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: Is it too early to ask you? Because people don't get to see enough of that from you. I've seen it and heard it. I'd like to know if you could give me one to the post.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I could, because if you're a hockey player, you don't want to hit the post. But as as a DJ, you want to hit the post. I think I would need music and to be ready for that right that.
Speaker 2: Next time we have you on, we'll do it. We'll have a producer play a little music. We'll get you in and out so you can hit that post fair enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is what you do. Next time, you'll play earth Wind and Fire and you'll play the song September, and then I'll talk up to the vocals there I'll hit the post with them.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Dan Patrick joins, he's got his own show that he's got to get to and kind enough to spend time with us. Dan all to talk about this super Bowl. Number one reason you're intrigued with.
Speaker 3: It because I look at Jay Hurts what it means and Nick Steririani what it means to them to kind of get into the position of Okay, now you're legitimate. Now you're one of the best quarterbacks. Now you're actually one of the better coaches. Andy Reid, Now you're getting closer to Belichick. We keep talking about Mahomes getting closer to Tom Brady, Andy Reid's getting closer, and he's more likely to get closer to Belichick and Don Shula as the all time leader in victories, and I don't think we focus on him enough. But with Patrick Mahomes, now I think he gets into a different category. Yes, it is Tom Brady, but it's also to me, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. It's just a different type of dominance of you're winning three in a row, something that's never been done.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think that Patrick Mahomes has passed Joe Montana for second on the goat list right now?
Speaker 3: I would say yes. It's almost like we've forget about Joe, which is but we forgot about Terry Bradshaw. I mean, we've forgotten about quarterbacks that did you know they won super Bowls? That's the ultimate grade at the bottom line is how many super Bowls. It's not a fair grade because if you said I could have Dan Marino, I'd take Dan Marino. He didn't win any Super Bowls, but he changed the game. I think you know Elway got blamed because he lost three super Bowls and then he won two didn't get credit. Really it was Terrell Davis. So you know, we're very fickle in how we hand out credit when it comes to these things. But winning a Super Bowl, Mahomes, I think the way he plays is what separates him even from Brady. If you said at the peak of Brady and the peak of Mahomes, Mahomes plays the position better, in my opinion, doesn't mean he's a better quarterback. He plays it better. He plays it differently than anybody else, And people forget Joe like he was the ultimate when your nickname is Joe cool, right, that's I mean at that position and winning. But I you know, I feel bad that we kind of just blew right by Joe Now it's just it's Mahomes and Brady.
Speaker 2: Dan Patrick Dan Patrick Show joins us longtime friend here on Sports Talk seven ninety Sean Salisbury Show. Dan who has the biggest challenge player or coach in this game? On whether it's a unit or a group of players. You know, I said Steve Spagnolo and his ability to stop the home run from Berkley. Do you see it different? What's the biggest challenge of the game for either side?
Speaker 3: I think it's Nick Sirianni trying to prove that he can match coaching withs with Andy Reid, because this is where I don't care who wins. But I learned a long time ago, don't bet against the better coach quarterback combination with Tom Brady and really you go back to Jimmy Johnson and Troy Yek, when you go back to Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, like you have those combinations. This is where it matter the most. Obviously, you know, Nick Sirianni kept his job, They fired their coordinators, and we don't even know what his relationship is with Jalen Hurts. We don't even know what he really does during the game. Andy Reid is there as the offensive coordinator with Patrick Mahomes, so trying to match wits with him in a crunch time situation. That's because this is where the Chiefs they always win. And that has to come back to Andy and what you see with Patrick Mahomes, this is what I want to see with Sirianni and Jalen Hurts with the game on the line, can they outperform out coach the Chiefs? Dan?
Speaker 2: Is it disrespectful during this talk and kind of at the very at the last handful of games of the season, disrespectful to the Chiefs that it feels like we spend more time talking about the ref's impact on a game and on the Chiefs than we do how good they've been.
Speaker 3: Well. I don't think there's any denying that there have been called that are favorable to the Chiefs. But sometimes you make your own breaks sometimes, you know, the analogy I've made is when Wade Boggs took a pitch the umpire thought of as a ball, or Rod Carue or Tony Gwynn, you got those. If Greg Maddox threw a pitch around the plate, you got the call. Michael Jordan if he missed, something must have happened. He must have gotten found. It's not fair. You would think the guys who need the calls would get calls. But you're giving the better people better players. But I do think they know how to use the system. Now, I don't blame them, I blame the system. Plus, all of their games are on National TV Sean. Every single game is a Marquee game. You see every single one of their games. It's not like a one o'clock game that they're playing, you know, against Carolina. They're always playing, and they're playing in front of everybody, so you see everything. You see Kelsey, you see Taylor Swift, you see Patrick Mahomes, Mahomes' wife, and so that's why people get chiefed out. It's not their fault. I just don't want people ten years from now to look back and go, well, you know, they were pretty special, because we tend to do that. You hate the Cowboys until you look back and go, well, that was a damn impressive run. And I think that's what people are going to do with the Chiefs. You'll look back and you're going to probably say to yourself, even though you didn't like them, you're going to respect them even more.
Speaker 1: Mortgage is on the line. Who you're picking in the game.
Speaker 3: Always the Chiefs with.
Speaker 2: Mahomes always, no matter who the opponent is right always and Andy and the ability to make plays when there's nothing there.
Speaker 3: But they win one score games. Yep, that's that's not a coincidence. That's my design, no matter how they win it. And look, they become a defensive minded team since a couple of years ago. You know, they run the football, it's ball controlled. They don't hit home runs, anymore. You know, they've gone from being you know, somebody Aaron Judge to somebody who's you know, bat three forty eight and you know, hit seven homers, but is always going to get on base and score and be part of, you know, a winning team. You know, it's Aaron Judge to each row. And so I don't think we look at them as a dominating team because they don't score points the way you know they once did. But that defense is so good and you know you're they do it, and it's spread out and they plug and play like the Patriots US too. It'd be like, I don't care who it is, we have the common denominator coaching quarterback. Now, just build around that. And we took Tom for granted that he would somehow make that guy better and win a big game. And Belichick would somehow come up with guys on defense, and they would you know, design, you know, design a defense to take away your best players. That's what Kansas City is doing. It's the blueprint. Same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Spagnola has proven that he's as good a big game defensive coordinator we've ever had Dan Patrick for a few more minutes, and Dan's unique with you because not only to get the interview the best you know on your show, but you love it as a sports fan. So let me shift a little bit with your gig. In all the years you've been doing it, what what's the best part of your job?
Speaker 3: I think being allowed to be curious to whether we discuss something on the show, or it's a guest you have on and you're curious about something. It's like when Adam Silver, the NBA commissioner, came on last week and I was just curious, like, what are the crazy things that come across to your desk? And when he said, well, here's one, and then he said, how about you know four quarters ten minutes each quarter in instead of forty eight minutes. No, it's forty minutes. So by just asking the question, now he could have swatted it away, but he did. He did engage with me and allow me to go into his office, you know, figuratively, to see something that he's considering. And so that I love. I love that. You know, we have Joe Burrow on today. When did you know you had this confidence you know you can ask those questions. Bryce Young is on today. I get what point did you realize that you knew how to play the game, or the game was different to you. Those are the fun things that you get to be curious in a setting like this. It's live TV and radio, and you know it's something that it's as close as I can get to playing the game, because you know, there the element of you're on a tightrope a little bit. You're asking questions and it's you can't blink. The camera doesn't blink.
Speaker 1: And I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that when it's three hours, it's live, let's go, and at the end of the day you feel like you played in a game.
Speaker 2: All right. When you broke in and we talked about, you know, when you were spending records in DJ and and to now in this long, illustrious career, what's the best media And I don't mean who, but what's the best media change or maybe one you don't like over the last forty years in your mind.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to sound the like they get off my lawne guy, but I think journalistic principles have declined rapidly and will continue to do so. Everybody has this source, everybody's an insider, uh, and that's not the case. Plus, you know, what are we saying what are we allowed to say not allowed to say? It just feels like the lines are so blurred right now, and I worry about that that it's it's sloppy, and I can't speak for everybody. I can't speak for what we do on this show, and that is make sure you get it right. You know, we're not here to sprain news. We're here to break news, and if you don't have it, you don't have it, and don't I'm not one of those people who, hey, there's a story that came up, Hey, do you know anything about that. Yeah, I got a source who told you either have a source that you don't. But we throw that out, probably more so than any other statement in sport. That source is close to me, and I have sources on some things, and there are other things where I go, I don't know anybody in that organization because I don't think you know, you have to be honest with your audience, and that that does concern me as we move forward that I don't know if it really matters, and maybe it doesn't matter to the audience, but it does to me.
Speaker 2: Well, Dan with that, and obviously with like Nick Saban, the nil and transfer portal war on him and now he's doing a hell of a job as a broadcaster. But it probably pushed him out prematurely. I think that's pretty obvious. Would this the way it's gone about journalistic integrity, would it force you to leave sooner than you wanted in this business?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, No, because I'm in the content business, right So if there's upheaval, if there's controversy, like, I don't have to negotiate with an eighteen year old who wants to transfer to me at my age.
Speaker 1: You've maybe enough over our careers.
Speaker 3: Brother, Yeah, I'm not taking a producer who's coming through the NIL portal. And you know, Pauli's here. If he decides to leave and go, you know in the transfer portal, that's good for him. But you know Nick Saban had to deal with this, and you know he got tired. Jay Wright at Villanova, there's a lot of coaches that just said coach K like, I don't want to do this anymore. And I get it. I just I think you've got to be young, and you got to be you got to be on your game with this because it's constant, constant, and but you know, the upheaval in college football. I think it needed it because it was under that student athlete umbrella, and now it's everything's out in the open. What are you making? Who's paying it to you? Do I want to stay? Do I want to go? I think it will eventually settle. But these are all these chancellors and presidents and athletic directors and coaches, and they all missed all of this. It happened so quickly. It's like now they're trying to clean up the mess after the elephant in the circus.
Speaker 2: Do you still watch the game as a fan with the same passion you did twenty five years ago? Any game college football, NFL basketball, is it's the same passion and interest for you.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't watch as a fan because I don't root for anybody. But I think I'm watching probably the same way I have the last thirty years. I think it's more of an analytical eye of what are they doing, how are they doing it? And then I'm always thinking, how does this work on our show? If you bring this up, the guests that you're going to have, who compliments this. I think it's more of formulaic that you're watching building to tomorrow of what you're talking about, or the next day or next week whatever that is. But I think that's the important part of And look, do I miss that the high and low of your team one and that low of your team got, you know, like the Lions. I missed that pain. I miss that high, that euphoric high you get when your team wins or when your team loses. I don't have anything. I'm not invested in anything.
Speaker 1: All right, let me let's leave you on this.
Speaker 2: Do you do you have a time clock for how long we get to continue to watch it?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: I know you had mentioned a couple of years ago you said maybe at a certain date five years. Does that change every year or is it just going to be a wake up and say this is the this is my going away year.
Speaker 1: How long are we going to have you do this?
Speaker 3: It'll be December twenty fourth, twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: That's a guarantee ball game for sure.
Speaker 3: I'm John Elway walking off the field.
Speaker 1: You are are we gonna get you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are we gonna get your rocky chairs? Is it like do we get to get the gift thing on him? Send you on to you know, on the circuit the last year. You are literally on December twenty fourth or twenty twenty seven, you're done, bingo.
Speaker 3: I'm done. Yes, you can send your gifts to the man cave.
Speaker 1: I've come.
Speaker 2: What even I am the gift? I'm coming in person. Will it be well? I guess you're not gonna announce where you're gonna do it from. I know your show, so that is it. I get twenty four all right, I know you got your own show. I love you man, see you buddy, all right, see it bye. He's got to go. That's what happened. When he's got to go do his own show. He's December twenty fourth, on twenty twenty seven, Dan Patrick's done.
Speaker 1: You heard it right there.
Speaker 2: But he said it before, but I had to follow up make sure he wouldn't, you know, just getting us to give him all the going away gifts. We'll come back and discuss Sports Talk seven ninety rolls on