Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: January fourth, as you wake up, Among other things, the sixty fifth birthday of one Michael Stupe of our eten My.
Speaker 3: Game by Yeah and the common and dressing.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, not only twenty one.
Speaker 3: Check us and chest Yeah yeah yeah, mister Fred Lessigan Breakfast House. Yeah yeah, let's play drest Let's plays.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: See heaven Now, Andy, did you hear about this?
Speaker 6: Warm?
Speaker 7: Tell me how you locked in the putter?
Speaker 8: Andy?
Speaker 3: You do that out out harveys and times.
Speaker 9: If they put a man, I'm.
Speaker 10: Anybody, there's nothing, I'm there, save.
Speaker 4: The nothing walking.
Speaker 2: John Michael Steite born in Decatur, Georgia, on this day in nineteen sixty clock in the Big six five put together rim at the University of Georgia and Athens, dropped out of school and as a member of R E. M. Would lead him all the way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Inducted with the rest of his band in two thousand and seven. Happy birthday, Michael Stipe. Before we look at to look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. Eighteen fifty three, a man from New York Solomon Northup regained his freedom after being kidnapped in Washington, d c. And forced into slavery in eighteen to forty one. He was black, as he would later tell his story in his memoir Twelve Years a Slave. This date, in nineteen sixty five, then President Lyndon Baines Johnson delivered his State of the Union address, in which he outlined the goals of the Great Society Initiative.
Speaker 1: You can debate whether that was a good thing or not. I say not. This date.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy four, President Richard Nixon refused to hand over tape recordings and documents subpoened by the Senate Watergate Committee. There's nothing to see here. Europe's new currency, the Hero, got off to a strong state start in its first trading day this date.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety nine twenty.
Speaker 2: Ten, the Burj Khalifa, the tallest structure in the world, opened in Dubai in the UAE.
Speaker 1: Diane Cannon.
Speaker 2: I remember Diane Cannon from like the seventies and early eighties. A buxom blonde, she is eighty eight. In the story she could tell about the people who have passed. She still remains guitarist John McLaughlan is eighty three. Author historian Doris Kerns Goodwin Brilliant Lady is eighty two. Patty loveless, Man, I love her. Liam Mark down some Patty loveless. Blame it on your heart.
Speaker 1: We need that. Later mentioned Michael Steipe.
Speaker 2: Actress Julia Ormond is sixty, running back Derek Henry thirty one. Today is Baltimore Ravens playing for a division championship this weekend. Singer actor Coco Jones twenty seven, and the NBA center Victor Wembnyama is twenty one. You can go out padding around with Victor and have a few drinks. Now, Liam, he's legal, he's tall too, like you are. Mama Tree's already on the line. Goodness gracious. Got a lot of in sports ahead, and that weather forecast seems rather daunting at this point. We shall see and we'll give you the latest next. On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: This morning at nine, Mike Allen bites the latest wave of ridiculousness with karate like discipline on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: Run a business and not thinking about radio. Think again, because more people are listening to the radio on iHeart today than they did twenty years ago, and only iHeart broadcast radio connects with more Americans than TV, digital, social, any other media, even twice as many teens than TikTok. Think radio can help your business. Think iHeart streaming, podcasting, and radio. Let us show you at iheartadvertising dot Com. That's iheartadvertising dot Com.
Speaker 13: This year, nearly one million pit bulls will be euthanized in the US shelters. These amazing dogs too often grapple with unfounded prejudices that overshadow their true nature. But there's hope, and you can make a difference. When you adopt or support an at risk pitbull, you're not just saving a life, You're giving a loving soul a chance.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 13: Help us get these incredible dogs from the kennel to the couch.
Speaker 1: Follow us at kennel tocouch dot org.
Speaker 5: I can't walk out too much.
Speaker 2: Dave Bakrantz writes, Wednesday, January eighth would have been Elvis's ninetieth birthday, and that is a fact. Jack January nineteen thirty five to Loop Tupelo, Mississippi.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, except for the conspiracy theorists who think that Elvis didn't die at Graceland and he's still alive somewhere pumping gas in Arizona or whatever. But anyway, that's for you, Dave, and for Elvis fans everywhere, and the birth celebration coming up in the coming week. Right now, to the matters at hand, five point forty eight, on the precipice of what looks to be not only the first, but maybe the worst winter storm we've had in quite a while around these here parts, Mametry is hunkered in good morning, Mametry.
Speaker 14: You go to hold to me, he came.
Speaker 15: God time changing, hand, your mouth old to his hand to God, fie changing and you your host somethings, No, you know, oh to God changing, hand to God change.
Speaker 1: What a finish? Hello, Louijah, Hell hell, Hellujah.
Speaker 2: You got you gotta go in there, girl. So I'm a little Confusedmometry. Okay, you told Liam that we're not supposed to mention where you live.
Speaker 16: I don't wind on the air. I'm a Kentucky colonel, Mama Tree or Kentucky Turner, and I.
Speaker 1: Know and I respect that.
Speaker 2: But in the past, you've asked for cards and letters, You've you've asked for people to come and visit you.
Speaker 1: So this is why I'm confused. I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's fine, you can your address can remain anonymous from now on, and I have got no problem with that.
Speaker 16: But Saturday I was sold I don't have a roommate because firston wasn't getting up every morn talking on radio. I don't have a roommate. I got a new one and I love her dearly. So I'm Mama Tree, Lady, Lynette, Kentucky Colonel.
Speaker 17: I'm nowhere.
Speaker 14: Y'all know where I live.
Speaker 16: Come see me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, all right, baby, that's that's no problem. But you don't have a roommate because you don't. You didn't. You didn't lose You didn't lose a roommate because I said where you lived on the air. You lost a roommate because you were getting up early in the morning to call us.
Speaker 16: No, because I was on the air and you couldn't hear me saying last week and I had screamed. So I don't want to talk about no more.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I was just I just wanted to know, baby, it's it's okay.
Speaker 16: I'm fining step Sunday. Yeah, when I from Bingo, the person was gone. We were good friends. They told me to win money for him. I said, yes, I I I went at least a dollar far. I didn't win nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry, I'm sorry you lost a friend.
Speaker 18: Dear the men.
Speaker 1: It okay, thank you, all right, so we'll move on.
Speaker 14: How's your day?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know what, it's so far, so good. I got a long way to go to nine o'clock though.
Speaker 16: While we on the air, remember I think maybe last week the man before he was talking about the ground hogs. I told you on the phone, did you gone tell him how to fry a ground hogs? You'd cut it in if the baby's cut them in four quarters. I'll put salt pepper on dipping flour and fry like a chicken. He'll gold in brown. It's a big old grandpa grandfather groundhogs.
Speaker 17: You know how?
Speaker 18: You do the same thing.
Speaker 16: Flour, salt, pepper and butter or whatever, brown and then put it in a crock pot for maybe eat three hours on high to make it far tender. But yes, you can eat groundhogs year round.
Speaker 18: We froze them in.
Speaker 16: The honey season and they ate them year round. Raccoons, Mama is baked them. She put sealy and onions and apples in their carcats, and then a green apple in his smile, and we had to look like a baked ub dog on the plat. She did the possums the same way, Salary and I is in green apples.
Speaker 2: We need to do a whole cooking section here. Yeah, we did, We just did. Thank you, Mamma Tree. I'm gonna go catch me some groundhog. Now I know how to fix them. Oh God, Love, you will be picking Dick's brain. Next, it's the.
Speaker 1: Marketers Report Today.
Speaker 19: Kate Cronin, chief brand officer of Maderna tells us about the advantages the speed of audio production affords their growing tech company with Dick from Dayton.
Speaker 20: Good morning, Dick, Good morning, good Jeff.
Speaker 15: How are you well?
Speaker 2: Our friend Dave Dave from Dayton is back from the Philippines, and he asks questions for you. I hope you have answers. Okay, listen carefully. Will the miracle playoff scenario happen? This may be the last Bengals Dick pick of the football season, depending on what can happens this weekend.
Speaker 1: Does MVP Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: Sling free touchdowns or more for the ninth straight game, and we get revenge.
Speaker 1: On the Steelers.
Speaker 20: I think he does.
Speaker 2: Do the Chiefs backups beat Denver into the Dolphins lose to the Jets.
Speaker 20: Dick, Yes, I would say so, Hey Jerry Jeff, Hey Dick, I have something to tell you.
Speaker 10: I need you and Dave and Ron Wilson.
Speaker 20: But this has not been a good month for me.
Speaker 10: I don't know what happened, but it's not a good thing.
Speaker 20: Garry Jeff, I don't know.
Speaker 10: Somebody has struck me down. They said something about me it isn't true, and I've been a little I've talked to my friends and I've talked to some sources, but Garry Jeff, I've never been like this. They wrote something about me that what's not true. So I'm I'm just finded sources. But I love all of you guys there. Just tell Dave stop By.
Speaker 20: I told him and my friends. But I don't want to say what it is.
Speaker 18: But I'll work it out.
Speaker 20: But if without you guys, I love all of you, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't know why I tell you what you you make sure I'm going to put you on hold as we hang up, Dick. So when I say tonight, don't hang up. Wait on the line and talk to Liam and make sure that he gets your phone numbers so he can give it to me and we'll talk off air.
Speaker 20: Okay, Yeah, yeah, I'll tell you.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 20: I don't want to say any telling air, but I don't even want to tell Dave. But I've told my friends. But I've got some I called my cousin. There's some some good people are going to help me. I can't say what it is because if I do, I'll get in deep trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but it's not.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dick, you need help, you you can count me in on helping you out, because you know.
Speaker 1: What, Dick, I bless you.
Speaker 22: Garry Jeff.
Speaker 23: I've been this week.
Speaker 20: I've really just been off feat because I've never had this, and my friends were, you know, I haven't. They want me to go to school, but I can't say it in the air because if I do, I'll get in real serious trouble. But I wanted everybody to know what seven or just something that happened, and yeah, you let me know.
Speaker 2: Well, well, Dick, you're in my prayers and I'm serious.
Speaker 20: Jerry Jeff. I'm gonna be fine though.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope so.
Speaker 20: Oh yeah, I can't. Yeah, Garry Jeff, I'm a good you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't have people saying things about my Dick.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know what I mean, Jerry Jeff.
Speaker 20: See, I just I don't want to say it on the air. You can't talk about it, you know.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, Yeah, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Okay, God bless you and have Dave. Maybe he'll come by. I hope maybe I'll tell him.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Dick.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna put you Jerry Jeff say good night, Dick, good night. Don't hang up. I want to get your phone number. All right, We're going to figure out what this is all about. It's mysterious, mysterious even and ominous, and get to the root of the Dick problem. And after that we'll get to the news. On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 24: Making sense of the FED in the stock market not so easy. Building a financial plan to deal with it that we can do. Tune into Expedition Retirement with Greg Ayler Sunday morning, six thirty to seven and seven thirty to eight thirty Here on seven hundred Wlwhi' Tom Quell.
Speaker 1: And I'm Stephanie Quell.
Speaker 25: We started the Jack Quell Foundation in twenty twenty one to educate.
Speaker 2: Into the first official hour of the Saturday morning edition. For this first Saturday of the new year, January fourth, twenty twenty five, I'm Gary Jeff Walker. You are you, and that is perfectly fine with me unless you are causing Dick from Dayton grief. I have a new cause now, I have a new cause for the new year, to get to the bottom of what's eating Dick from Dayton. What is someone saying about Dick that's not true. I'm gonna give him a call when I get off the air today. We're gonna get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 1: And this aggression will not stand against my friend Dick.
Speaker 2: Now I've gotten that off my chest. Eight minutes after the hour, let's talk to our buddy Dave from Harrison. Let's see what's eating Dave this morning?
Speaker 1: Remember when you.
Speaker 7: Ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I go but sir, well you left me anyhow.
Speaker 2: And all right, Dave from Harrison, good morning. Do you are Are you with me if we have to go to bat for Dick?
Speaker 1: Are you there?
Speaker 18: Yes, I'm with you.
Speaker 26: Everybody loves deck and there's no reason for this father all or pidd d D or Phil d D.
Speaker 18: Or phill d D.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said that already. Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 18: Life?
Speaker 26: Life on the floor, White Death, come from sky drive a buffalo far far away.
Speaker 2: I love how instantly you went into the fake movie indian extent. I'm seeing you, seeing you pictured in front of a general store somewhere selling cigars.
Speaker 18: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 14: How I don't know, but yet.
Speaker 1: The thing is the thing is I know him? How you just want him? Chance?
Speaker 22: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, what do you got?
Speaker 26: Well, Jeff, what do you call an egg that uh goes down, you know, to the bad place?
Speaker 21: HG double hockey sticks?
Speaker 1: What do you call an egg that goes to hell?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 22: What them?
Speaker 26: Them would be deviled eggs?
Speaker 1: Okay, rather rather obvious?
Speaker 28: Yeah yeah, okay, slightly.
Speaker 1: And slightly not funny anyway.
Speaker 26: Number two Okay, well you know it's the first Saturday.
Speaker 2: And yeah, okay, we'll give you allowances since it's the first one of the year.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, and a mulligan?
Speaker 18: And what what why does Sherlock Holmes like Mexican restaurants?
Speaker 2: Why does why does Sherlock Holmes like Mexican restaurants.
Speaker 1: I like the setup.
Speaker 2: I don't think you need a you don't need a punchline for this joke, like Mexican.
Speaker 1: No tell me the punchline.
Speaker 26: Dave, move on because he goes and he that's good case ideas.
Speaker 1: That is so stupid, it's funny.
Speaker 26: All right, last, yeah, yeah, all right, Jeff, you and Adrian. I got a question for both you and Adrian?
Speaker 1: Now, what's the bad Rocky impression?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're packing, you know what for the first Dave of the year. You were packing in the entertainment value this morning. First I get the fake the fake Indian accident, and I'm assuming it wasn't an accident. Then we get the case ideas joke, and now the Rocky impression.
Speaker 1: Please start again from the top.
Speaker 26: Dave Uh, Garret, Jeff Uh. You know how everybody hears about the eye of the Tiger.
Speaker 18: You know you're always hearing about the eye of the tiger. We well, garried, Jeff.
Speaker 7: House, come you know ever hear about the other four letters in the war?
Speaker 29: Jokes told by Day from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to.
Speaker 2: Our first weekend of the new year, and the first weekend with a winter's storm watch warning. Whatever you want to know, all of these sirens are going off here starting tomorrow today, partly clouding on high at twenty nine. It'll be dry overnight Tomorrow morning's load to twenty and then on Sunday it just says winter storm begins. Heavy snow accumulates during the day, travel difficult. As much as a tenth of an inch of ice could be covering either underneath that snow or on top of it. Either way, it's not good. Can't do anything with eye. Expected accumulations in our area five to nine inches, So prepare. It is seventeen now, it's seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: I'm a firefighter, a teacher, I'm a farmer. I'm a barber, a waitress, a mom.
Speaker 25: We're all part of your community. Every day we move in and out of each other's busy lives.
Speaker 24: It's easy to take for granted all the little moments that make up our every day.
Speaker 1: Some are good, others not so.
Speaker 30: Much, but that's life.
Speaker 1: It's when you experience a moment of uncertainty.
Speaker 25: Something or someone's behavior that doesn't seem quite right.
Speaker 3: These are the moments to take uponis because if something doesn't feel right, it's probably not.
Speaker 1: It's not about paranoia or being afraid.
Speaker 31: It's about standing up and protecting our.
Speaker 25: Communities one detail at a time, because a lot of little details can become a pattern.
Speaker 26: We we we.
Speaker 32: We trust our instincts, just like you should.
Speaker 33: Because only you know what's not supposed to be in your every day.
Speaker 1: So protect your every day.
Speaker 25: If you see something suspicious, say something to local authorities.
Speaker 1: On the verge of our.
Speaker 2: First winter storm, I thought a little beach boys would be nice at six sixteen?
Speaker 4: Dude, doesn't that make you feel better?
Speaker 2: You see the waves gently crashing to the sore the shore, not the sore the shore.
Speaker 1: The beautiful new bile young thing in.
Speaker 2: Her wet suit emerges from the water, walks right to your towel on the sand.
Speaker 1: Makes me think of old radio Rick he'll know what.
Speaker 28: That's wrong. Hey, wallet the beach, make sure not to forget to bring your Automatic Radio Manufacturing Company models six C sixty portable AM radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, could you take could you take that to the beach?
Speaker 28: You could. It's a it's a little portable. It's a made nineteen forty six. It's a five tube low power to radio, so the battery should last a little bit longer, and it uses one ninety volt battery and one six volt battery as a leather plastic case. It looks kind of like a little portable from the Philadelphia story.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask about that.
Speaker 28: That doesn't have a doesn't have a front cover though, but it is a similar design, which it was a reasonably popular design, but new in nineteen forty six that sold for thirty eight bucks, which is just over six hundred dollars today for a portable radio. Yeah, and AM only. But I'll have a couple of catalog entries and then one that'll go back to this particular model, which, by the way, you are coming in, I'll give it a generous four by four.
Speaker 18: Okay, it's but.
Speaker 28: Okay, so first of all, from the radio and television retailing magazine from the year prior. Here they are. Wow, okay, we're after good. It's a good start. Get a load of these first post war automatic radios. Now, first of all, just the brand name is false advertising. There's nothing automatic about these at all.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the description is a load in a of itself.
Speaker 28: Yeah, well, loan is in quotes, so maybe they were realizing that. I don't know why is that in quotes? Of course, these are only a few of the models that will be available to meet your customer's demands. Well, that didn't work out for them, but that's another story. A word to dealers. Get in touch with us right away. We will refer you to the jobber in your territory. Get set to sell automatic radio. I guess there was only one. That's kind of sad. So now to the more customer based catalog entry. Powerful portable operates on batteries an AC DC current five tubes superheterodine with seven to two performance. Well that's a stretch, but that's the debate point. Large built in autometoscope loop, thank Heavens, and equipped with automatic patented battery rejuvenator increases the life of batteries two to three times normal. We'll listen be where I go back to this particular model. We were wondering why the heck there were flame marks in the battery compartment where patteries are not nickel cadmium, they're not lead acid, they're not rechargeable, and they kids, if you've ever put a regular flashlight battery and a recharger, it may have worked fine, the battery may have got really hot, or you may have ended up having to throw the whole thing in the trash when it cooled off. Not a good idea. And they built it right into the radio.
Speaker 1: So they built a charger.
Speaker 28: Batteries on fire.
Speaker 2: They built a charger into the radio, a charger which would actually set the radio on fire.
Speaker 28: There's a potential for it. You know, those are not rechargeable batteries, but they put a charger to charge them.
Speaker 1: Geez yep.
Speaker 28: And they made a big deal about it, and they sent your lawsuit request to the following address.
Speaker 2: And now we get to make a big deal of fun about it. Thank you so much, mister Washburn and stays. Are you guys supposed to get this winter storm in Indianapolis?
Speaker 1: You're gonna miss it yet?
Speaker 28: No, we're gonna get it in the farther south you go, the more you get, and it looks like in our area we're right on the borderline too. We're expecting right about the same amount that you are, six to ten inches.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. All right, we'll stay safe, my friend.
Speaker 2: If you want to get in touch with y Washburn Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW sport football is the only thing that matters. Yeah.
Speaker 30: College basketball is in full swing as well, but the Bengals are on the road in Pittsburgh close out the season, hoping to sneak into the playoffs with a Dolphins loss and a Broncos loss. Kickoff is set for eight Pregame coverage begins at four on ESPN fifteen thirty, and then it will be on seven hundred w LW. Also following the conclusion of UC basketball coverage last night, Zavier traveled to Washington GC and lost to the thirteen and two Georgetown Hoyas. Under ed Cooley in Big East play last night, sixty nine to sixty three. Sixteenth ranked u See Bearcats host Arizona Wildcats and Big Twelve Conference play This afternoon. Tip is set for two thirty Pregame coverage begins at two cat all the action right here on seven hundred WLW, The NKU Norse host Green Bay Basketball at one pm. Pregame coverage begins at twelve thirty. Tune in on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. Kentucky basketball hosts Florida in a Top ten matchup at Rupp Arena. Pregame coverage begins at ten. Tip Off is set for eleven on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: That's an early game, so we're not really preempting the Bengals game on seven hundred, just the beginning of the coverage for basketball.
Speaker 1: Right He's not going to respond, all right, a breaking back.
Speaker 34: I'm toasting you, Sid Honting. We maybe through dude.
Speaker 9: You'll never care me, cos weare the whiskey round, James.
Speaker 2: What you got friends in low places? Tell them to get above the floodwall. Let's head east, my friends. How now Brown County and the lovely village of Ripley Main Street downtown looking at that cold, icy.
Speaker 1: River this morning. The gang at Brookie.
Speaker 2: Saloon, good morning, good morning, good morning. So first and foremost, I know that the weather Rock has had an addition recently of the rockets, and which is right underneath the weather rock, the rockets, the Ripley Rockets, the Snappers rockets. And I understand that you guys are also under this winter storm morning tomorrow. So I want to emphasize it's going to be a beautiful day to day Chili, but a beautiful day, partly cloudy, partly sonny whatever, twenty nine for a high.
Speaker 1: We've got nothing else to do.
Speaker 2: Get out and drive to Ripley at some point today to main Street and check out the rockets before they're snowed over.
Speaker 1: Is that good advice, Doug?
Speaker 35: Yes, they must have had a heck of a time there in the last couple of days.
Speaker 28: The rockets have just knocked the whole house down.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 35: They knocked the top off the house there, The whole weather Rock is on the ground. Everything it's it's just it's in bad need of maintenance. At the moment, we'll get buzzes nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Well, is it is it?
Speaker 22: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it just a weather situation? Or is it vandalism? Is somebody hearing us talk about weather Rock and the rock cats and purposely screwing up this landmark, this this major tourist attraction in Ripley in Brown County.
Speaker 28: I mean it's a terrorist in that maybe, well, I don't know about.
Speaker 14: It was a terrorist wind that came up the river.
Speaker 1: How many rocks were killed?
Speaker 35: No man, Actually the house fell off to the left of the rockets.
Speaker 1: So everything's okay, they're fine.
Speaker 36: But yeah, but I'm worried the rock cats are going to freeze their pebbles off.
Speaker 22: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, well that could happen in this kind of forecat, in this kind of forecast, you could easily have your rocks freeze their pebbles off. Yes, my personally, personally, I'm covering my pebbles.
Speaker 36: Oh good, that's a good thing. Hey, listen, speaking about our friend Dick. You know, I've been praying for Dick for a long time.
Speaker 14: I pray for all you've.
Speaker 36: Got that are members of my radio family.
Speaker 1: So uh but especially, but especially you're praying for.
Speaker 36: Dick, especially now. Yes, it needs our.
Speaker 1: Help at this time of need, right right right.
Speaker 36: And mamitory boy, she was in great tone this morning, wasn't she hit no sign notes birthly?
Speaker 1: Yep, she is something else. There's no question about that. Brookie's here tonight.
Speaker 18: That we know of but next.
Speaker 14: Wednesday, or this coming Wednesday, the Queen of Hearts starts back up at seven point thirty.
Speaker 21: I'd say it's.
Speaker 28: Probably going to be over one hundred and ten thousand easy.
Speaker 2: And that's Elvis's birthday too, So two reasons to get the brig Thursday.
Speaker 1: You guys, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: I know, mister Bronson, you are leaving behind the frozen confines of Brown County and you'll be be gone to a sunnier warmer climb.
Speaker 1: So yes, we're.
Speaker 36: At seventy and eighty.
Speaker 14: Eight day, seventy at night. I agree, I.
Speaker 1: Agree, have a great time.
Speaker 2: See you guys. I'm writing them six forty five on a Saturday morning again on the precipice of this major weather event. Supposedly, how many times have they been wrong in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think they're wrong this time. But we shall see, we shall see, and we will get through it all together. Right now, time for a fifty phone called News of the Week commentary. But my friend Steve Simon and at in Ohio, and here we go.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 27: Let's try to give the fascinating history of w l W in the allotted time, I think, of course, of Wendell L. Wilkie, the nineteen forty Republican candidate for President of the United States. Wilkie was born in Elwood, Indiana, just northeast of Indianapolis, in eighteen ninety two. Perhaps because both his parents were attorneys, Wendell was a fairly wild child who pretty much thought he could get away with anything. Mom and dad then sent him to a military academy, which toned him down a.
Speaker 14: Little bit, but not much.
Speaker 27: He read Marx in high school and petitioned for a course in socialism as an undergrad at Indiana University. His law degree with the Hunters from IU was held up when he openly criticized the school's curriculum, but the lawyers eventually relented. He made his mark as an attorney representing public utility companies in Ohio and Tennessee, so he generally liked the New Deal socialism. During the FDR years, he fought to have the utilities, not the government, control the Tennessee Valley Authority Program, which brought rural electrification to the mid South. Despite ruffling the feathers of President Roosevelt in the process, and running for president in nineteen forty against FDR. Both men respected each other's views on international relations. In nineteen forty two, and thus, right in the middle of World War II, FDR encouraged a seven week fact finding world trip for Wendell Wilkie, who visited thirteen countries and logged thirty thousand miles. He spent a good deal of that time in China and Russia. Russia had been communists for a quarter century, but China would still be free until their civil war wrought Marxism in nineteen forty nine. But in nineteen forty two, Wilkie said, quote, the Chinese want to be free, and they want to free Asia. Okay, you got that one wrong. But he got to see communism in force in Russia, and he was not impressed, except to point.
Speaker 7: Out that with both the schools.
Speaker 27: And the press under government control, Russia was a force to be reckoned with sounds strangely like us. His book describing what he learned on that trip was called One World, and it is still considered must reading in international relations. Wilkie was an internationalist, while other top dogs in the Republican Party at the time, like Bob Taft of Ohio, he was an isolationist, and Tom Dewey of New York, a so called non interventionist, would dominate the party in the forty four and the forty eight elections. Started out as a Democrat, much like future presidents Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump. One of the many things that soured him on Democrats was his experience in the nineteen twenties with the influence of the ku Klux Klan at Democrat national conventions. In nineteen twenty four, he proposed kicking the KKK out of the national convention.
Speaker 18: He failed.
Speaker 27: Interestingly enough, his hometown of Elwood, Indiana, was a hotbed of plan activity in the nineteen twenties. But in nineteen forty three and one World he wrote this, and this is a quote, the attitude of the white citizens of this country toward the Negroes has undoubtedly had some of the unlovely characteristics of an alien imperialism. He was referring to Japan, a smug superiority, a willingness to exploit an un protected people. He went further saying the colonial system, which was rampant in the world at that time, had to be abolished immediately. That took a hell of a lot of guts, since allies like Britain and France had substantial colonial empires, but a wave of independence for the colonies started immediately after World War Two, So Wendo Wilkie proved prescient. Wilke was a classic liberal at a time when that had a positive connotation in one world. He said another quote, it is the utmost folly to take the position that citizens of any country should hold their tongues for fear of causing distress to the immediate and sometimes tortuous policies of their leaders. Well, let's talk about experts.
Speaker 14: Huh.
Speaker 27: That's what we encountered during COVID, didn't we and they were proven very wrong. Here's Wendo Wilkie. Should we remain silent and allow our leaders and experts to solve these problems unmolested. This position threatens to become a tight wall which will keep the truth out. Experts and leaders must be constantly exposed to democracy's greatest driving power, the whiplash of public opinion developed from honest, free discussion. Gary Jeff, last week you were talking to a guest about Jimmy Carter's taking over planning of that aborted attempt to rescue our Iranian hostages. That's the hubris rampant among politicians where they think they know everything, like Lyndon Johnson, another Democrat trying to run the air war in Vietnam from his desk in Washington, DC, who ray for rebels like Wilkie. Sadly, in Wendell's case, he drank and he ate too much and he died one year after that book came out. He was only fifty two years old.
Speaker 20: Wow.
Speaker 27: He and his wife are buried in Rushville, Indiana. God bless you, Wendell Wilkie. Okay, Gary Jeff, have a good day.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: So interesting to pick the bones of history and to reconstruct them the way he does. It's like the t rex in the National Museum. Steve from EDNA, a true treasure on this program, thank you again. Coming up on six fifty three of my friend Ray Scott in Loveland tuning in this morning as always, How are you doing, my friend?
Speaker 7: Good morning, Gary, Jeff, good morning, Happy do you're enjoying Indeed, this tremendous program of yours and Steve's always awesome, awesome piece, and you know, to to touch on that just the hair happened to catch yesterday on TV. Uh the Speaker of the House uh, speaking after as he was being sworn in during that ceremony, And I found it very very ironic and interesting that he read this.
Speaker 18: Beautiful prayer, beautiful prayer.
Speaker 7: That was you know in America, was was founded by some radicals, and and and we're and we're still radicals, and we're based on Judeo Christian and the original radical, Jesus himself. What a radical, what radical love.
Speaker 18: He has for us.
Speaker 7: And this this prayer that was pinned you know who, it was by Thomas Jefferson, one of the pillars and founding fathers of this great land. And I just find it ironic that the definition of freedom of religion, which is not freedom necessarily from religion. Yes, yes, yes, And that prayer was beautiful in the Speaker of the House may not be perfect, but may God be with him, and may may he may he work and work heartily on our behalf.
Speaker 1: God bless a man.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ray, appreciate that. No, the Speaker of the House is not perfect. I'm not perfect. Ray's not perfect. You are not perfect. There is no one person who is perfect. We should not sacrifice good in pursuit of perfection because human perfection simply does not exist. It only existed in one man, and Ray referenced that one man, Jesus Christ, and the only perfect human being ever. And while Mike Johnson's not perfect, I'm not perfect, race not perfect, You're not perfect. We shouldn't let perfection blind us from what is better than what we have, and anything, anything except the same thing, will be better than what we have as a government right now, particularly the House of Representatives and the Senate, the Congress. Don't worry about perfection. Let's get to the good or better than what we have had. And we've had a whole lot of bad, not just the last four years either. All right, coming up on six fifty six, Steve Schulte in an environmental update a nuclear power right after the News at seven o'clock, we still have Tom Davis Diaries to come Raco with some fitness stuff. Maha make America healthy again?
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jim L.
Speaker 2: Barber, the music professor in rock and roll Archaeology. Around seven thirty five this morning Science, Mike will chime in Brother Rick Green with the Bible Verse. We've got gifts from Wally and Moe Egger All before we're done at nine o'clock. It's great to be with you on the first Saturday morning edition of the new year. And by the way, good morning Chris to two point oh my love, and Howdie Brooks.
Speaker 37: It down into the teens feeling like the single digits for some. We see a lot of sunshine though today in Tempter's top out in the mid to upper twenties. Tomorrow is the day we've been watching for our winter storm potential. We will continue to keep a close eye on it and the impacts that move in.
Speaker 1: From a severe weather station.
Speaker 37: I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harden on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 36: Waking up to clear sky seventeen degrees right now at seven oh six.
Speaker 1: I'm Sandy Collins.
Speaker 38: Our next update at seven thirty on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 32: News twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 31: News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Jeff Weiler Honda.
Speaker 2: Into another hour of the Saturday morning edition, the first of the new year, January fourth, twenty twenty five. Gary, Jeff Walker with you. I believe let me check, Yeah, it's me and here we are.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Just noticing in the news segment just passed the story that Juan Marshawn, the illegal judge in New York, is going to sentence Donald Trump next Friday, on January tenth. It's not going to stop Donald Trump from being president. Donald Trump will be the next president of the United States. I gotta tell you, I don't worship at the throne of Trump. I know a lot of maga people who were very enthusiastic about the president. And I voted for him a third time this past November. Yes I did, and I believe he is the best man for the job. I worship with the throne of Jesus Christ. So I'm not all Trump all the time like a lot of people I know. But what they have tried, and they, being the Democrats and the one world globalist, have tried to do to keep him out of Washington, d C again has been just It's been unprecedented what they have tried to do, including trying to kill him. And now they're going to try and use the narrative that he is the first convicted felon to be elected president. Well, that's as important as the first African American president of the first woman president. It doesn't matter. Can he do the job, Yes he can I'll tell you this guy can do the job when it comes to the environment. Environmental energeerner Steve Shall.
Speaker 16: See true some green.
Speaker 3: Redrosies, I see them blue.
Speaker 6: And I think to myself.
Speaker 2: What a wonder what a wonderful world it is. Steve Shelty, Good morning, my friend.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 17: Good morning? Gary? Jeff better and I deserve hopefully a little bit clearer with the cell phone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're fine, And we explain that. I'm not going to go into great detail. You were using a landline phone that was a portable phone, and what I've often found with those is that you turn one way or another and the signal will cut out on those portable phones. I mean, yeah, yeah, So it's no big deal. But this morning we're talking about how nuclear power actually saves lives.
Speaker 18: Right.
Speaker 17: This is an article from the this month's issue of Reason magazine. Their tagline is free markets and Free Minds. Article from Ronald Bailey nuclear power saved lives and basically talks about that after the catastrophic meltdown at the Chernobyl in the Soviet Union in nineteen eighty six resulted in nearly four hundred fewer nuclear power plants are built. Basically after that, the building of nuclear plants flatlined, and that the extra air pollution killed far more people than the meltdown by several orders of magnitude, according to a recent study issued by the National Bureau of Economic Research. The research found that new nuclear power construction flat line after Chernobyl. If we had continued to go on the path before that, they would have estimated we'd have more one hundred and seventy new nuclear reactors in the US alone by now. Interesting, back in the sixties, the Atomic Energy Commission anticipated we'd have more than one thousand, mostly fast breeder reactors supplying seventy percent of America's electricity by the year two thousand. Unfortunately, we're down at twenty percent. And interesting is a sideline, Gary Jeff We talked about this last week. Fast breeder reactors are fueled by slightly used nuclear fuel from today's light water reactors. In essence, fast breeder reactors almost give us almost give us unlimited power. But using air pollution data from satellite and as well as estimates from the University of Chicago's Air Quality Life Index, what they found is that for each nuclear power plant, by reducing air pollution saves an average of eleven thousand people expecting the life expectancy of seventy three years. Worldwide, the reduction was three hundred and eighty nine. Power plants would have saved four million, three hundred and fifty six thousand people in the US alone. We would have saved almost two million people if we have built the power plants. Now, they caution that their estimates are intended just to illustrate what would happen with the newer plant. Power plants constructed if Chernobyl did not happen, but the end with quote, air pollution would have likely been much lower, which in turn would have had significant health benefits. Once again, nuclear power is one of the great ways for humanity to go. And for those who have drinken the the net carbon footprint kool aid, good for them too.
Speaker 2: All right, I just had one question. We got to go, But yes or no? Were you one of those no nukes people in the late seventies?
Speaker 26: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so you haven't turned around that much, all right, Steve Shulty, thank you, God bless you. Have a good morning. It's seven twelve, It's seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 34: Now the postseason is on the line after last week's overtime.
Speaker 1: When it's a leg.
Speaker 34: Joe Burrow and his big bad Bengo's face One more Jealous is a batical scene thing Pittsburgh Steeler.
Speaker 18: Joe Burrow jamar change.
Speaker 34: He can the Orange and Black, down the Black and Gold and keep their playoff dreams alive. Race to get the goal from dangerous Dan Hoard and Mighty Day coverage begins today. Advice on seven hundred WLW the whole of the best begles covering.
Speaker 39: Sometimes it seems the crises just keep coming for children, COVID war, drowned and famine. They can seem downright relentless. You know what, so can Our response when helping children unites us. We are a force to be reckoned with. Where there is help, there is hope. It's why unise won't stop ever. Learn more at UNICEFUSA dot org slash we won't stop.
Speaker 2: We start with a partly cloudy day high of twenty nine this afternoon, it'll be dry overnight mostly and twenty tomorrow morning's low, and then the fun begins. A winter storm warning is in effect or winter storm watch anywhere for the entire Try State from tomorrow morning until Monday evening. Heavy snow during the day, travel difficult, possibly some ice accumulation, and the high of twenty eight on Sunday. Don't worry about the high tempts, worry about the white stuff.
Speaker 5: Ooh long time No See it's me the rock T shirt in the back of your closet.
Speaker 1: Where dude, Remember you crowdsurfed in me. Man, but you haven't warned me like forever. I got it. You're retired, but I still got some rock left in me.
Speaker 4: So take me to Goodwill where I could really.
Speaker 1: Make a difference.
Speaker 32: Your donations to Goodwill create jobs, training programs, and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org. Donate stuff, Create Jobs. A message from Goodwill and the ad Council, it's the Marketer's Report Today.
Speaker 19: Erica Taylor, chief marketing Officer of gen Intech, explains how audio is an ideal way for brands to tell their stories.
Speaker 33: Everyone is listening somewhere somehow. I think that there's something deep in all of us that enjoys listening to and telling stories.
Speaker 25: When I think about what we do, I'm here at jeninteg we.
Speaker 33: Do a lot to actually tell the broader story of our company and the legacy that we stand upon. Forty five years marketing more than forty medicines.
Speaker 1: I'm over that time period.
Speaker 33: And we celebrate that in story form, in audio format. It's a great way for people to learn more about what we offer and to be educated in an easy and convenient way.
Speaker 19: As the number one audio company, iHeartMedia gives marketers access to all every audience, live conversations, trusted influencers, and the insights and data you need to grow. Not just a media company, iHeartMedia is your access company. If you're a marketer, go to iHeart results dot com.
Speaker 30: What's up, everybody, I'd nam orcuary type of a new podcast.
Speaker 40: It's NHL unscripted with Birkin Divers, Jason Emmers here and half.
Speaker 1: They're playing seven HUNDREDHLK Jr.
Speaker 2: The new Health and Human Services Secretary, if he's confirmed by the Senate, we'll be attacking the health of our food and the safety of our food. What the most vulnerable among us are babies. They have no cheat, they have no choice. They get what we feed them. And in many cases what we are feeding our babies is just as bad or worse than what we're eating. Why rock go, Why tell me why our half of baby our half of our baby foods are unhealthy?
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 18: Well, that's right, Well it's actually us. So there was a study from about six hundred and fifty one of the baby food products that are out there that sixty percent of them don't be just the basic and nutritional requirements for protein and and and unnecessary vitamins like vitamin D, vitamin C and other minerals that are needed. And then and it also found that that that more than seventy percent don't have the necessary protein.
Speaker 41: Now, what that means is that is obviously that that i that the parents are feeding of these kids most of the time they think that the baby.
Speaker 18: Food companies are doing what they're supposed to be doing. But the baby food companies life Warma don't really give, don't really care about, uh what they're doing. That they're shoving the processed foods.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, is this why baby poop smells so bad?
Speaker 18: Uh? Yes, actually yes it is.
Speaker 23: And and you're feeding, uh, you know, like the parents that feed like the processed foods that baby food basically is is you know, like the feedium poison and they don't even know it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's we we know what the problem is.
Speaker 2: Give me in one minute a solution for parents so they can feed their babies health food.
Speaker 18: Well, I read the labels first of all, right, and and and if you can, like me and my wife did. We made our wont baby food so we knew exactly what was in it, and baby you know, and baby food. All all baby food needs to be is is use a blender and and cooked up you know, and cooked up food that you that you actually I can't cook Rocco.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait to taste you and your wife's strained peas Roccocostelano dot com. Ladies and gentlemen. Time now for the Tom Davis Diaries. I like to refer to these.
Speaker 1: As the.
Speaker 2: Here he is our reporter Tom Davis, with wild, wacky stories from around the world and around the country.
Speaker 31: You go, sir, Good morning Gary Jeff. This week he thought it was funny to spike the Holy water. But first, what to do with all these Christmas trees? People everywhere are trying to figure out what to do with their real Christmas tree now that the holiday has come and gone. If you know a Lama farmer, you're in luck. You can hand it off to them. Apparently, Lamas love the taste of Christmas trees, which provide vital nutrients and even help to keep their teeth clean.
Speaker 1: Who knew.
Speaker 31: A Texas high school is starting the new year on the wrong foot. Apparently a coach got a little worked up in practice and made the football team do four hundred pushups. Twenty six of the players suffered something called a muscle breakdown, and a couple of them ended up in the hospital.
Speaker 1: The schools now facing a lawsuit.
Speaker 31: Kia is recalling twenty five thousand electric SUVs because of a seat belt problem. Apparently they're not bolted down. They've narrowed it down to a single worker who didn't put the bolts in for the seat belts. I mean, you got to know it's dangerous to drive one of these things, right, Kia? Kia killed in action. And finally, one prankster with a lot of names got caught spiking the holy water. Thomas Camby Bowling von Getz was being disrupted before he poured whiskey into the holy water at two Maryland churches. He was kicked out of the first one, and in the second congregation they were made it tougher stuff. Parishioners there teamed up and held him down to the cops got there, and who knows, maybe he hit the confessional on the way out. Who am I to judge? Next week, people curing the common cold by wearing wet socks, have a great weekend.
Speaker 32: The holidays are a book.
Speaker 34: So Bengals Update brought to you in part by Ross American Grill and Kember Credit Union on seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 42: Tony Pike joins me and Tony. First time around Bengals and Steelers, Bengals had no problems scoring. The problem was they couldn't stop Pittsburgh from scoring. Russell Wilson for some reasons able to pick them apart, and they couldn't figure it out. The Bengals defense has played better down the home stretch. U. They have some young players in there. But does it make a difference that you have just about a whole season under your belt, so it's tough to call you a rookie anymore?
Speaker 21: Yeah, I mean the rookie wall Is already has already passed for a lot of these guys. I mean, it's a process because you go from finishing your college season right into training for the Combine, and then the you know, the Combine is happening, and then pro days are happening, Draft is happening, mini camps for rookies, OTAs. It's just a process that you never really get that time off. So the rookie wall has already been hit and already been pushed through by a lot of these guys. So there are no more rookies really in the NFL. And I think the biggest question, as you mentioned the Bengals defense, the ability of Russell Wilson to just get the ball out quick and the underneath throws against the Bengals killed them. And I think many people are wondering now since that game you said this defense has played better. Is that a result of playing some lesser competition quarterback and then a rookie quarterback in bow Knicks have hit that rookie wall or is it a process of Okay, they are getting better. I think this is the perfect week eighteen scale to figure out really where they are defensively.
Speaker 42: It was just interesting how they couldn't figure out but underneath row they never adjusted for it. They hit it all day long.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and that was the frustrating part is that, you know, the Pittsburgh offense has struggled for much of the NFL season, and on that day it looked like they were one of the best offenses in the game. And they didn't do anything crazy. They allowed the defense to drop back, and they threw the ball underneath and occasionally Russell Wilson took his shot down the field. But it wasn't this offensive scheme that is reinventing how football is played. It was very basic and there were no adjustments, and it was the culmination if you think back to that week of just a very bad stretch of defense from the Cincinnati Bengals and another frustrating loss where the offense scored over thirty and still lost.
Speaker 42: It looks like they'll be without Chase Brown because they brought up Kendall Milton from the practice squad. As far as we know, t Higgins is still a question mark, correct.
Speaker 21: Yeah, right now. I think that everything will clear up pretty much by.
Speaker 1: The end of today.
Speaker 21: But they did make a move, you know, as the season went on for Khalil Herbert, when the Zach Boston news came out and I thought a little underrated aspect of that Denver Broncos game. Khalil Herbert had some nice plays late in the game when he got the opportunity. So I think it is a great opportunity for Khalil Herbert. But we know what it is at this point. If this team is going to win, if they're going to continue to compete and keep their playoff hoops alive on Saturday night and force some pressure on Sunday, it's going to be Joe Burrow as it has much of the year.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 42: We'll see how things pan out. If they win and all the other pieces fall together, I'll talk to you next week, same time.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens. Thanks you bet.
Speaker 24: Has your son or daughter achieved perfect attendance or made the honor roll at school?
Speaker 38: Take them to Ralph's American Grill to enjoy a free Milkshit into.
Speaker 2: Yet another hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, January fourth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the first weekend of the new year.
Speaker 2: With the Winner's storm warning, I'm giddy and shout out to the uss Row Arc.
Speaker 1: And any anybody named John that may be listening.
Speaker 2: Six minutes after the hour, Gary Jeff, Please, there's punch to be here and ready to introduce you to some science courtesy of our friends Science Mike.
Speaker 4: Yes, as a night of Scientist.
Speaker 21: Is it surprising it?
Speaker 1: Bell behinded me with good morning, Michael, How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 22: Did I understand it right that Steve Shulti is using like a nineteen ninety two phone that he got from a Sports Illustrated subscription film know.
Speaker 2: Where he got the plug in the portable landline phone he had been using previous weeks, but he just id to get with the times and use his cell phone and he was totally discernible this morning, as opposed to the last couple.
Speaker 22: I'm glad he pulled didn't didn't bend the antenna when he pulled it out of the phone.
Speaker 1: Kind of hated those things.
Speaker 14: What's going on?
Speaker 22: Hey?
Speaker 18: Hey, Gary Jeff?
Speaker 1: First, Happy New Year. Happy New Year to you, sir.
Speaker 22: Okay, So in eighteen thirty one August of eighteen thirty one, we had a a weather event in the in the whole around the whole world. The sun dimmed and uh temperatures dropped by one degree centigrade over two years, and they kind of they figured it was a volcano and this this this volcano actually killed like over half a million people over two years because of famine, a lot of cross for damage because it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lack of sunlight will do that too.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it'll do that. And they kind of thought it was new it was a volcano, but they didn't know which volcano where, what volcano did this, And they they thought it was like, you know, typical volcanoes are along to you know, Philippines or like Krakatoa, that that big enough to do that kind of damage. But they did ice core samples and for years they had the samples and it was very low in potassium, and they knew that potassium low potassium and ice core samples were evidence of volcanoes. Typically it came out of Japan, but there were no evidence. Japan had no recorded evidence in eighteen thirty one of a volcano. And then they realized. Then they went looked at these islands that were north of Japan and the Curls and they found ice ice samples, ash ash samples from the from the expedition that was a US Japan Russia expedition in the early nineties and these samples chemically matched exactly to the core samples that they were pulling out of Greenland over the years, and they finally matched the this volcano up it's called Ski volcano and the curls. And the point about all this scientifically is these volcanoes pop up out of nowhere, and these you know, you could be a dormant volcano all a sudden can change the whole complexity of the global climate, like kind of Tuba did in ninety one. So they don't typically happen where you think they're going to happen. They could happen anywhere on the planet and even under sea, as we saw a couple of years ago that one blew up in the Philippines.
Speaker 2: So well, the Earth is, among other things, a seething, savage beast underneath it's crust.
Speaker 22: But I took them a hundred years to figure out where this volcano came from. So they finally I think.
Speaker 2: Right now, right now in this part of the country, believe it or not, Even in this part of the country, which you think may be a moon immune from major eruptions and the like, right now beneath our feet is a bubbling cauldron of of hell fire that could spring up at any time.
Speaker 1: On this phone call.
Speaker 2: We could be interrupted right now by a seismic blast that no one expected out of nowhere, and be consumed by the raging lava that is that is.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 22: I gotta run the Kroger, get some eggs, milk.
Speaker 1: And the bread.
Speaker 2: So okay, but good luck. It's more dangerous at Kroger than it will be driving on Monday, believe me. Ten minutes after the hour, the Battle of.
Speaker 1: The Big Cats.
Speaker 11: West Miller's bear Cats get down to business when they clawed out with Arizona's Wildcats.
Speaker 1: Big twelve throw down on the hard Course. Seve Cab get the action live.
Speaker 11: From the Third Arena today to on seven hundred WLW and seven hundred WL double livestream on the three.
Speaker 1: I'm Heart Radio at.
Speaker 40: A message from DAV to all returning veterans. Thank you, Thank you for doing your duty, thank you for doing our bidding. Thank you for laying it all on the line. Thank you for stepping up and not backing down. Thank you for putting your future on hold to put our enemies on notice. Thank you for putting your buddies' lives ahead. Of your own. Thank you for putting yourself in harm's way. Thank you for defending our freedom, for displaying your honor, for being a hero even though you don't want to be called one. For all this and more, DAV thanks you, and we're here to help you. Expert DAV Advisors will make sure you get the health, disability and financial benefits you are promised and earned. If you're a veteran, visit DAV dot org for free health and again, thank you.
Speaker 2: Enjoy today because tomorrow and Monday may be just about impassable partly cloudy high at twenty nine. My friend Doug in Ripley said that the people at the salt piles, the drivers are working twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Twelve hour shifts.
Speaker 2: They got to get in their time now because they don't do hardly anything the rest of the year. Winter storm begins tomorrow a winter storm watching effect for the entire Try State. Heavy is now accumulating throughout the day and into Monday, as many as ten to twelve inches in areas around here, along with the thread of ice, and that will obviously make travel difficult. Tomorrow's high only twenty eight. It is seventeen at seven hundred WLW, and let's go to the truth in the word. Try to be positive wherever possible on this program. One of the ways in which we do this is by bringing you the Word of God, Bible versus. That's right on a secular radio station. The corporate sponsors are shrieking with horror right now. It's eight fifteen and seven out of WLW. Brother Rick Green from Spirit Work Cincinnati is with us as always, And Brother Green, I know the work you do year round with Cincinnati's homeless people, just by providing food. You know, your sack lunches once a week and you go out downtown and you do this. This is one of those weekends where there's a lot more than food that is in need. We're talking about shelter from the cold. And we pray that everyone has a place to go that is warm and is out of the snow and ice that we're about to get, don't we.
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yes, I pray to God that he helped ove Yarry. It's funny you said back, because I'm leaving at nine o'clock to go feed the homeless. Yeah, I have to put out the public service announcement. If anyone is going to help me feed the homeless by sending a donation to me. Please write the check a money order to Rick Green. Gary one of your listeners, Vicky Stacy. I've never met her, but she's a lovely lady. She sends us a check and our bank won't be positive or cassid because this rolled out the Spirit Works. It's now rolled out to Rick Green.
Speaker 2: I want to and it's r I C K G R E E N E yes. All right, so people, people understand. But we said Spirit Works Cincinnati, so I understand how she would do that. But to Rick Green, it is Rick Green's mission. Oh, it's it's God's mission that Rick Green is performing. So yeah, just to if you if you want to do that, there you go. That's how you that's how you make the cash available so they can continue their mission of feeding the homeless every week. All right, Rick, what have you got from the Word of God this morning?
Speaker 6: Today? We're coming from Josua Chapter one, verse nine. It said, this is my command.
Speaker 21: Be strong and courageous.
Speaker 6: Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with.
Speaker 18: You wherever you go. Amen.
Speaker 6: Don't you love that?
Speaker 22: Ary?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, there's so many people telling you to be afraid of this or that. If you've got the faith in God, then you shouldn't be afraid of that or this.
Speaker 6: Amen.
Speaker 2: Whether it's whether it's a disease, whether it's whether it's disease, whether it's weather, anything, You're right, girl.
Speaker 6: You have to learn how to tune them out. Don't let them take over your mind. Let the war to God take over their minds.
Speaker 1: There you go. Amen.
Speaker 2: All right, Brother Rick, thank you so much for what you continue to do for Cincinnati's homeless, and we'll be thinking about you and especially them this weekend as the weather comes in eighteen at seven hundred WL.
Speaker 37: Tempter's top out in the mid to upper twenties. Tomorrow is the day we've been watching for our winter storm potential. We will continue to keep a close eye on it and the impacts that move in from a severe weather station. I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harden on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Seven one hundred WLW Sport, Young Liam, what's going on?
Speaker 23: Man?
Speaker 30: Xavier traveled to our nation's capital last night to face the Georgetown Hoyas and Big East play and they fell sixty nine to sixty three.
Speaker 1: Sixteenth rank.
Speaker 30: You see host Arizona Wildcats in a Big twelve Conference play This afternoon tip as seven two to thirty. Pregame coverage begins at two. Catch all that action right here on seven hundred WLW. The Norse are hosting Green Bay and that game tips off at one. Pregame coverage begins at twelve thirty. You can catch that game on Fox Sports thirteen.
Speaker 2: Seven, and there's an early tip for the tenth ranked team in the country.
Speaker 30: Yeah, a top ten basketball matchup. Florida is undefeated. They traveled to rupp Aerena to face the Kentucky Wildcats. That tip is set for eleven am. Pregame coverage starts at ten, and you can catch all that action on ESPN fifteen thirty. The Bengals are on the road in Pittsburgh week eighteen to close out the regular season. A win tonight is the first of three things needed to make the playoffs, a Dolphins loss to the Jets, and a Broncos loss to the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: That kickoff is set for eight.
Speaker 30: Pregame coverage begins at four on ESPN fifteen thirty and also on seven hundred WLW. Following the conclusion of U see basketball coverage.
Speaker 2: All Right, fantastic Birthday Today On the list, January fourth.
Speaker 5: One loveless love me some loveless, Blame it on your line sheet cold dead feat mister heart Honey.
Speaker 34: You got thing not to learn about me?
Speaker 32: Baby?
Speaker 40: Am I tab no more?
Speaker 32: Man, I don't mean.
Speaker 13: Maybe you don't know rad.
Speaker 5: And roar where the lovely hats gone?
Speaker 9: So blame on your line.
Speaker 8: She didn't foll did ben to time and up deal and meanstreaming love.
Speaker 1: Hall, doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Where it was to be your lawn.
Speaker 9: And normally eals updates straight ahead Ron the Home of the best Bengals cover w l wams.
Speaker 8: Let dress, How do you have?
Speaker 1: Fiss?
Speaker 43: So blaming on.
Speaker 3: Line gv go dead b to down.
Speaker 43: Street Sarah Spain for Iheartwomen's Sports.
Speaker 1: Presented by Elf Beauty.
Speaker 43: Two top twenty women soups teams face off tomorrow in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, with the seventeenth Brancu tar Heels hosting the third rank Notre Dame fighting Irish.
Speaker 29: At one pm Eastern on ESPN.
Speaker 43: Sophomore standout Hanna Hidalgo has led the Irish all season, averaging twenty six points a game, while fellow guard Olivia Miles is putting up sixteen point seven points and seven point two assists a game. For more women's sports stories, subscribe a Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 25: Need a full covered hydrating concealer that lasted your toughest workouts? Elk Cosmetics Hydrating Camo concealer is long lasting for.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Kids, Time for gifts from Wally the Future in space, NASA decides they're going to send three astronauts into space for two years per and they allow each of the astronauts to carry two hundred pounds of baggage with them for this two year journey. The first astronaut decides to take along his wife he's under the limit. The second decided to take along books to learn how to speak German, while the third astronaut decided to take along cigarettes. Two years later, the space shuttle lands. There's a huge crowd of waiting to welcome them home. First came the astronaut and his wife, each of them with a baby in their arms. Next the second astronaut, who's speaking fluent German. They both give their speeches and get a rousing applause. Suddenly out comes the third astronaut with an unlit cigarette in.
Speaker 1: His mouth, and anybody here got a friggin match seven hundreds.
Speaker 4: How everybody bad?
Speaker 8: I bout the bad, the bad man man the bath.
Speaker 21: I win.
Speaker 8: I met a man man man man is a When I went a bad man man went A bet is a when I went a man man man the man I went, I went a bad bad man, and I bet is a win. I went a man man the man I went, I went a man man man a man I went. I went a man man man a man in a way A man I went.
Speaker 4: I'm wanting, don't you now.
Speaker 1: By the man that was like Peter Griffin on here.
Speaker 8: Man in the wind a man, if you.
Speaker 1: Get that joke, you were watching the right show.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 2: A little surf music I think is good on the first weekend of a winter storm morning in Cincinnati. Man, can our mind set on other things, more pleasant things, even if it's a surfing bird by the trash man?
Speaker 1: Hey mo, how are you? I'm good?
Speaker 14: What's going on?
Speaker 2: I'm not getting down to the surfing bird man. You know it's it's seventeen degrees expecting six to ten inches.
Speaker 1: A know, in the next twenty four to thirty six hours.
Speaker 2: I gotta have my mind on other things, you know, tasty waves in a cool buzz, as Pacoli.
Speaker 1: Would say, Yes, sounds good to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, so wintertime here in this place. Now, we've already had our first snowfall, and people would absolutely berserk over like a half an inch? Was it like a month ago or something? I can't remember, but you know that they're taking They always take us to show us the pictures of the salt piles.
Speaker 1: Why do they do that?
Speaker 14: Yeah, we the.
Speaker 2: Salt piles are there year round, but all of a sudden there's a winter start.
Speaker 1: We want to let you know we've got salt. Don't blame the salt pile. We've got and the drivers will be working twelve hour shifts. Oh my god, twelve hour shifts.
Speaker 2: It just seems like it's a lot of ado about nothing most of the time. Now, I don't like driving in it, and I'm not particularly fond of this kind of weather. We do get it every once in a while. Do you have a bad weather story that you can remember and relate quickly to us?
Speaker 18: A bad weather story?
Speaker 14: Well, lying back from the we had an ice worm that blanketed like the entire Midwest, Midwest and extending into the southern part of the United States.
Speaker 18: Is two thousand and four and.
Speaker 14: U S played in the fort Worth Bowl and so well, I flew out early because we knew the ice worm was coming. We did the fort Worth Bowl. Dan Horde and I flew back. The fort Worth Bowl was played on December twenty third, and Dan Horde and I flew back after the game Christmas Eve morning, and we had to connect in Memphis and then fly back to Cincinnati. And when we got to Memphis, the airport was closed and no flights were getting out. It was Christmas Eve.
Speaker 18: We go to a.
Speaker 14: Rental car line. There were no rental cars to be had, and fortunately we found some very nice people who offered to drive us. And in the middle of an ice storm on Christmas Eve. It took us about fourteen hours to get from Memphis to Cincinnati back in time, not really in time for Christmas. But I remember that ice storm and how brutal it was and how it screwed up Christmas, and that was something that was something that's probably it's a good bad weather story, but that's the first story that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: As a kid. We lived in the Chicago suburbs. And this is the winter of the Blizzard of nineteen sixty seven, which I'm sure you weren't around for yet, but I was like six years old, And what I remember about that is that the snowdrifts were up to the roof of our ranch. In other words, you couldn't get out the front door. You had to tunnel your way out of the front door onto the front porch just to get outside.
Speaker 1: And this is.
Speaker 2: Chicago area, you know, they kind of know how to deal with snow and stuff, but not on this level. This was of a magnitude that you usually don't but when you've got to tunnel your way out of the front door through the snow drift just to get outside that And I.
Speaker 1: Do remember a freezing.
Speaker 2: About three hours up near Dayton when I lived in Dayton for the short time I did in ninety three and early ninety four, and I was driving it was borrowing someone else's car and got a flat tire and there was no spare in the back. It was about twenty below with the wind chill, snow on the road, snow on the side of the road as I pulled over, and I was trying to change that or get the tire off that was flat, and hoping someone would come up long and help me. And the lug nuts were seized onto the tire because they had rusted on, and all I had was the little tire tool. So I was stuck there for about three hours until someone came along with a jack and a doughnuts bear and got me to where I knew. And all the mean time, I've got to tell this person that I borrowed their cars, that you know, your cars stranded on the road, and so am I what do we do? And this is before widespread cell phone use, so you know, you kind of sol at that point. So we're looking at one of those kind of weekends for some people. But there's plenty to keep us interested inside. And while we warm to the last weekend of the NFL season, Week eighteen, here we are, and here's a scenario. The Indian Yeah, the Jets defeat the Tuillus Miami Dolphins, and the backup Kansas City Chiefs defeat the Denver Broncos, and the Bengals still lose to Pittsburgh. I mean, the thing that has to happen first doesn't happen, and then the other two things that needed to happen, those dominoes fall. It just would seem so Bengals like for that to be the end of the season.
Speaker 14: Your thoughts, There's president two thousand and six. Bengals needed to beat the Steelers and they needed three results to go their way. This was on New Year's Eve. The three results the Bengals needed went their way, and they lost in overtime to the Pittsburgh Steelers and missed the postseason, finishing eight eight. So it's happened before. I think the way this plays out for the Bengals, I think the fact that they're playing tonight is a good thing because you know, human nature dictates. You know, you're playing a game, but you know other results have to go your way, and so maybe you're mentally a little bit preoccupied what's happening in Denver and what's happening with the Jets and Dolphins, And I think them playing tonight gives them a chance to sort of solely focus on the game against the Steelers. And let's face it, the first time they played Pittsburgh gave up forty.
Speaker 21: Two points, So this is a lot to focus on tonight.
Speaker 14: Playing the Steelers team that, regardless of what happens with the Ravens and Browns, is going to have something to play for, certainly doesn't want to go into the postseason with four straight losses. So it's going to be enough of a challenge tonight. So I like the idea that they could play this evening and focus on what they've got to do. But yeah, I think every Bengals fan has kind of rolled through the same thing in their mind, like, Yeah, the most Cincinnati thing ever would be they lose tonight and their chances and then we sit back tomorrow and watch the b team the Chiefs put on the field win and we watch Aaron Rodgers turn into Aaron Rodgers again, and the other two results we need end up playing out the way we wanted to, and it still doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. But again, you cannot give every other team in the NFL a four game heads started at the beginning of the season or a five game head start, as the Bengals did again this year. You know say, well, you know, you know, Joe Burrow was injured, and this happened, and this happened, and this wasn't you know, after about four or five seasons like that in a row. You go, this, this has to change and there can't be any more excuses of why you start one in three or four in eight, and you know it's not it's really down to this this weekend obviously to see if they get in the playoffs. But this season was lost a lot earlier, and we all know that. I mean, how do we get out of that mentality of giving everybody else a four game heads start at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 1: It's frustrating, Yeah, you know what, I think?
Speaker 18: What excuse me?
Speaker 14: What's frustrating about it is they did handle this past offseason and this past year's preseason differently than the past couple of years. You know, we talked about at a bunch they started oh and two in twenty twenty two, they started oh and two in twenty twenty three, and so what could they do to ensure that they hit the ground running more week one? So they had a more physical training camp by every account, they played some of the starters in the preseason, they went through a more normal offseason program, and yet it still wasn't good enough. You know, you talk about all the different what if this season losing to the Patriots Week one at home remains inexcusable, and you're right. Look, they're eight and five over their last thirteen games, which you know, maybe isn't awesome, but it's pretty good, you know, pretty good eight and five, and yet they've had to go eight and five just to get themselves back to five hundred and time for the last game of the season. It is going to be question number one this offseason, once they figure out what they're gonna do with players like T Higgins and free agents they retained and free agents they acquire, and what they do in the draft, because they can't keep doing this and it has caught up to them. You know, you go back two years ago, you could say, well they were covered and finished twelve and four, and they did, but they still had to go on the road in the AFC Championship game. Heck, they had to go on the road the week before when they played the Buffalo Bills. You could say, well, they started zero to two last year, but they recovered, Yeah they did. They finished nine to eight and barely missed the postseason. It's going to catch up to you when you get off to a slow start. And you're absolutely right, as the season has played out the way it has and if they end up being on the outside looking in, especially if they do end up winning tonight, that's what we're going to come back to, not beating the Patriots, not finishing the game Week two against Kansas City, and defensively just getting works by the Washington Commanders. Until that changes, the ceiling for this franchise remains not as high as it should.
Speaker 1: Be, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: We're down to a final four in college football, in the playoff Championship. And a buddy of mine who's a Buckeye alum, who of course lives and dies with the OSU Michigan game every year and died once again this year, only to see his team now being one game away from the championship game, suggested after after seeing the Michigan game and then seeing what the Buckeyes did afterwards, suggesting that perhaps the Buckeyes laid down against Michigan just so they would have a lower I don't know, says, so the seating was we would be different in the playoff game in the CFP. What do you think of that scenario? Because this has been a totally different looking Ohio State team since the Michigan game.
Speaker 14: I mean totally so they didn't won a first round by and they wanted to play a second round game against the top ten.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I looked at him the same way and just shook my head. I said, I don't think so. But again, it does look like and I believe Ohio State truly now has a legitimate chance to after losing to Michigan, which is the only game that matters to most Ohio State football fans of winning the national championship. And I think their pass will ultimately be through Notre Dame your thoughts on my predictions.
Speaker 14: Here, Vegas agrees with you. They are the odds on favorite, and I think you have to give Ryan Day and his team a lot of credit because when they lost to Michigan, you know, you heard from some very unreasonable people who would say, well, it doesn't even matter if they play for the national championship, or you know, when they played Tennessee, there's going to be thirty thousand ball fans there and they're going to get booed when they charge out onto the field. And they have played two really, really good games. They have looked focused, and I think with the walls closing in around Ryan Day. His team rallied around him, which says a lot about him. Look, I understand the frustration of seeing their team lose to it's our rival every year.
Speaker 18: I get that.
Speaker 14: I understand the importance of rivalry games and of the Ohio State Michigan game. I think it is ridiculous though, that, in an era where we have diminished the importance of regular season college football games, that we've amplified this game to a degree that it's never been amplified before. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And look again, it's something Ryan Day is going to have to figure out if he's ever going to be universally accepted, I guess by every Ohio State fan. But the goal is to run a program and compete for championships. And let's face it, no one cares about conference championships anymore. They're in a position to win a national championship. I have heard Ohio State fans, who I don't think represent the majority, but I have heard Ohio State fans say I'd rather beat Michigan than win a national championship. Well, okay, fine, then sit on the sideline and watch your team compete for one, because they have a really good chance. And I think it'd be actually a really cool story if they did pull this off, with with the the buzzard circling around Ryan Day to get his team to play the way it hasn't finished this off, I think would be a really cool story.
Speaker 2: Ohio State Notre Dame is my prediction, and the Buckeyes beat the fighting Irish.
Speaker 1: So we will see.
Speaker 2: Moe have a great weekend, and I hope you have a nice warm place to stay.
Speaker 1: Thank you you too. All right, thank you, counselor was up? I'll tell you what.
Speaker 38: I'm with you on that prediction for the National Championship game. I would just flip who won and who loses? Though, Uh, but you know what, you're a Golden domer.
Speaker 2: There are teams.
Speaker 1: Thanks man. No, I'm kidding. That hurts No, No, but yes, you're right. I mean that's gonna great the game.
Speaker 38: What's on the show today, Well, I'm gonna be talking about the Biden legacy as it is and will be.
Speaker 1: He seems to think it's going to be good. I think not.
Speaker 38: We're also going to be talking about the All States CEO Tom Wilson. I don't know if you heard about it, Gary Jeff. He made an idiotic statement before the Sugar Bowl. It was at first he paid homage to the victims of the tragedy in New Orleans. Then he talks about, well, we got to get over our addiction to divisiveness and negativity and learn to accept people's imperfections and differences. Now, what in the hell that's got to do with fifteen people dead? You got me, and he's catching crap. They pulled the statement off their website already.
Speaker 2: Islamis terror is the greatest threat to American society.
Speaker 1: There's no question.
Speaker 38: Oh no, it's white supremacy. I mean, come on now, islamis terror. And they don't want to say it. Tongue in cheek, brother, they don't want to. I know, FBI certainly doesn't want to say it. They have to be drug kicking and screaming before they say it.
Speaker 2: You have a great Saturday midday, Michael, and good luck to your fighting Irish Okay, huddles after the show show, Today will be your last day to get out anywhere and drink, So come celebrate the last day of society outside your home before armageddon hits. We'll see you there.
Speaker 25: Well, did you know most people struggle to keep their New Year's resolutions? No surprise there, Maybe they just need Future Health, the best online a weight loss program backing them up. Hey, it's Disney from on air with Ryan Seacrest and Future Health couldn't be easier. Just take their quick three minute survey and then if you're approved by a clinician, you'll get prescribed and get meds delivered to your door within twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 25: All for less than three dollars a day. You'll get access to leading weight loss mens like GLP ones, and have Future Health network of over six thousand licensed physicians and pharmacies nationwide supporting you along the way. New Year, New You. And all it takes is a three minute survey. Just visit try fh dot com, try fh dot com, t r y fh dot com. Find out if weight loss meds are right for you in just three minutes at try fh dot com, try fkh dot com. Future Health is not a healthcare services provider. Meds are prescribed at provider's discretion. Results may vary. Sponsored by Future Health, robin
Speaker 1: Hood goldmembers can now enjoy them