Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty is Later with Mo Kelly live everywhere, in i heeartradio app and on YouTube Tech Thursday. That means Marshall Collier joins us in studio. Marsh's great to see you as always. How are you, my friend?
Speaker 3: It's great seeing you, really, Mo, It's fuck.
Speaker 2: I just get a kick out of the fact everyone gets to see you as well.
Speaker 3: Well, they get to see you too. I mean if they they see the beautiful studio, they get to see when you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but your hair is longer than mine and it's flowing. It's beautiful. It's a little bit different. I think they would rather look at you.
Speaker 3: Okay, well maybe one day we'll wear hats.
Speaker 4: All right, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I know you've come to talk to us about subscriptions and how maybe you can unsubscribe when it comes to at least email subscriptions.
Speaker 3: Okay. We've talked about Gmail before, right, and a lot of people use Gmail. Love email via Gmail. I try to use Microsoft Outlook because I have a Hotmail account too. I can't even read mail on their app. I don't understand what's going on? So Gmail, it is for me and a lot of other people, and they do store your email and it takes up room on your drive, which is a big deal. But now they're unrolling slowly, you know how they do. They announce something and then it takes a while for them to finally decide to bring it out. It will become starting first on Android, then on desktop, then iOS. It's called managed subscriptions. MO, tell me how many subscriptions do you have?
Speaker 4: Email subscriptions.
Speaker 2: I get signed up for lists all the time that have nothing to do with me, nothing that I've actually signed up for and said yes, I would like to.
Speaker 4: Receive emails in perpetuity from you.
Speaker 2: I just always it's like, and then I see the unsubscribed button at the bottom.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, I never signed up in the first place. How do I unsubscribe when I didn't subscribe?
Speaker 3: Right? And we got people here nodding too, because this it's not just stuff you subscribe for, and I don't know where that comes from. By the way, I did little thing here. You know, when you go to a website and you're supposed to click the dots, do not sell my personal information? A new trick. They had it as if you switch it on, it means do not share my personally. So you got to read it now, yeah, real careful because if you turn it off, you're giving them permission. I mean it's like beloney. I mean, it's like something else, but I can't say it anyway. So there Gmail is coming up with this thing called managed subscriptions. And what happens I'm going to show you is my Gmail. Okay, Now, on Gmail, you know, you can flip out the sidebar and you have all your little folders and all different things. If you scroll to the very bottom of this, there will be a thing called managed subscriptions. When this finally arrives in an update, I just I just updated my stuff and I did not get it yet, but I have seen pictures so I know it exists. And then you just tap on it and it's a list of every business that sends you stuff, any kind of stuff, whether you've bought from them or not. Because I mean, mo, you're talking about, right, You buy from one retailer and what do they send it all to all their friends.
Speaker 2: I've never seen this website before.
Speaker 4: I don't know this business, and I'm on someone's mailing.
Speaker 3: List and I don't know that it isn't a scam, right, and they may.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Madge jump in.
Speaker 2: There are some scams where you haven't signed up for the email list, but they're just trying to see if there's someone behind that email. And you try to and you click on the unsubscribed and they want you to put in your email again to verify that you're unsubscribing. Next thing you know, you've verified that's a live email.
Speaker 3: Well, there are a couple of different Marcia Colliers in the country who buy stuff and use my email address. I don't know why, but they do. I send back a letter to a company that's saying thank you for your purchase. It will be delivered at I say, this could be impersonation, this could be fraud. I'm not saying anything, but this email address does not belong to that person. And I never get a response. It's like they don't care. I don't understand it. So anyway, So then you'll get to see this entire list on the side panel after you've tapped managed subscriptions, and all you have to do is tap tap tap in the little check there. Yes, so do I because that will send an unsubscribed to everyone, and Google warns that it won't happen immediately. You'll still get three or four emails, so I'll.
Speaker 4: Take three or four as opposed to thirty I get a day.
Speaker 3: There's some the Wall Street Journal. I canceled them today. I canceled the Wall Street Journal because they send me email all day, every.
Speaker 2: Minute, and if you're not careful, you can unsubscribe to a particular list, but they may have six or seven different lists. You got to make sure you unsubscribed from all of their lists, none of which you probably signed up for.
Speaker 3: Right, So I just I had it with them, and I canceled the Wall Street Journal today, which I really enjoyed, but I just couldn't put up with the constant email. So this will be a new tool in our toolbox. And when I get it, I'll let you all know and we can do the unsubscribed thing right here on the radio.
Speaker 4: We'll we come back.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about NFC near field communication, where you may put your phone next to someone else's phone and maybe swap contacts or I don't know, buy something at the supermarkets.
Speaker 4: I don't use that.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so glad. I'm talking to you, Moo, because you really understand what it is. It is being used for the latest and greatest fraud.
Speaker 2: Before you get into it, Let's go to this break and then when we come back, we'll get into the latest and greatest fraud that is probably targeting all of us.
Speaker 4: It's Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: I'm joined in the studio by Marshall Collier on this Tech Thursday.
Speaker 4: We're live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: KFI.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly and Marshall Collier. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube and on the YouTube chat. We just got a very nice compliment for Marshall Collier saying that she looked like to them or very reminiscent of Lisa Ann Walter, who used to be on KFI. If you don't know who that is, she is now one of the stars of Abbot Elementary on ABC.
Speaker 4: Totally see that. Oh absolutely, I never connected that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I got to meet my sister.
Speaker 2: Then we'll show you a picture. In fact, we all got to call her up sometimes we got it. Just see she's available.
Speaker 3: I think that'd be a great idea.
Speaker 4: But back to the business at hand.
Speaker 2: We had teased that we're going to talk about this new scam that exploits our phone's NFC, and we were explaining near field communication where you're just getting your phone close to another phone or some sort of digital terma.
Speaker 3: Now it happens over the phone. Let me just say the numbers were released yesterday. The FBI says online scams have raked in sixteen point six billion dollars last year, and these are just the ones that are reported. And I want everybody if you get one of those texts, if you get somebody trying to DM you and get your information, go to that FBI page. It's called the IC three, the Internet Crime Compliant Center. You find it on the Internet, and file the take a screenshot, file the complaint. Because their numbers can't climb and they can't solve all the crime unless you give them the information. So that's that's the first important I.
Speaker 2: Gotta be honest, I get one of those. Let me say, once or twice a week, this text from some unknown number, or it could be a number with a weird area code. I know it's phishing phi hi, and I don't respect well I'm.
Speaker 3: Missing If it's a text message.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: But my point is, you know who wants to take time out of their day normally to go report them? Yes, it's good for the bigger picture, but it still takes time out of your day to address it.
Speaker 3: Well, some of them are so egregious. Some of them are They hit too close to home. I got one that had my home address in it, and that's oh, I got to report this somewhere. Yeah, but you know Google, in your Gmail, you can report them there. You can report them in your Google messages, as you probably can on an Apple device. But okay, I have to hold this up because this is so complex, it's insane. So aside from all the package delivery and the you haven't paid the toll text, this is unbelievable. A company called Cleafy found doubt about it, and it's frighteningly sophisticated. So I'm going to have to hold up a piece of paper. The attack starts with an urgent or text or WhatsApp message impersonating bank security alerts. Now you've gotten those, you know, yes, but we've gotten legit ones. Right when you have a legit one, what you do is get out your ATM card, flip it over and call that number. Never called the number that you're going to see. Same thing with a credit card. Okay, So the alert will say there's a suspicious outgoing payment. The message prompts the potential victim to call a specific number checking on your bank. And we've already said don't do that. But what happens if you do. You're tricked into giving your checking and banking information and they confirm your PIN number with you, and they ask you to hold your bank card closer to your phone, and they read all the information off of it from the NFC chip.
Speaker 4: They're not reading us in laying eyes on it.
Speaker 2: They are taking the information through cyberspace just because it's close to it through NFC.
Speaker 3: Because you know, when you tap it to charge, you tap a debit card to use it, that's NFC. I mean, So this is so here's how it rolls out real quick. First, they get the pin from you. They then they say, oh, that can't be right, that's not what we have. I need you to reset that, and they give you instructions of where to go to reset it. I mean, this is sophisticated. Then when you're there on the bank webs site, they have you go to the card and live in the fake website, the fake bankwek that looks exactly like your bank website. Once they have your trust, they have banking at access and they instruct the victim to navigate to the card settings and remove any existing spending limits on that card that they can move right So it's especially on a debit card you may have I can only charge fifty dollars at a time on this, okay, so they remove that. Then they persuade the victim to install a little app that's going to help them as a utility. You know, the utility is going to be there to verify who they are when you use it. Okay, So you got that now without anyone's knowledge. Malware comes right along with that, and that's when they ask you to pick up your phone and hold it next to your credit card and using NFC, they read it. Once your card's been read, contactless payments at point of service terminals or contact less cash withdrawals at ATMs start almost immediately.
Speaker 2: And that's not counter the fact that they have your bank information to use as a see fit.
Speaker 3: Once a scammer has you on the phone, watch out. They have a really good chance of stealing from you because it's called social engineering. And my friend Kevin Mitnick was a real, real smart guy when it came to all of this, and he taught me never answer those calls. Just don't talk to him, and you'll save your bacon every time.
Speaker 2: Other words, if you don't make the call yourself to your bank.
Speaker 3: Right, do not, do not, do not. I even recommend don't answer phone calls on your phone because they can fake the name of who's calling in if it's a friend of yours, they'll say, hey, I'm just gonna call it, or you can call your friend back and say, hey, you just call me. Easy, Stay safe. The thieves are out there, the bad actors want to get you.
Speaker 4: You're making us. You make it. Be very concerned, a lot to think of it.
Speaker 3: Good good you should, because with one simple tap you could lose everything.
Speaker 2: Well on that cheery note, tap it in, give it a little tabby Stephan, You're always right on time. It's late with moch Kelly, Marcia Carryo is always great to see you. I got to run, but hopefully I get to see you again soon.
Speaker 3: We'll have some fun stuff of product demo next week.
Speaker 4: Ooh ooh, guys, like a little more for him.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, I have to talk to you about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's next week with Marshall car You're we're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty