Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: You've found your anchor at the crossroads of power and presence. This is Musings and Modalities. It's time to move beyond the noise and cultivate a legacy rooted in values, aligned leadership, and earth energy.
Speaker 3: We've evolved the conversation.
Speaker 2: Bringing you a grounded perspective on embodying true luxury and beauty in your life and work. If you feel the resonance of truth and are ready for the shift, you are a home everyone, and welcome to Musings and Modalities. I'm Tristan Stwikie, and I'm so excited for today's episode entitled The Full Cup Method Navigating your Executive Exit and Designing your Next chapter with Jess Lane. Before I dive into the episode, I want to discuss my current offer. You've spent decades building a life that looks successful, but you know your profound legacy is meant to be far greater than your current output. Exhaustion and uncertainty. You are blocking your path and it's time for decisive change. This twelve week one on one Musings and Modalities Container is the definitive strategic framework designed to eliminate burnout and anchor you into your most impactful decade. This is the energetic and strategic makeover required to complain your next level. This includes radical clarity, where I'll design the exact blueprint of your legacy and implement of values aligned strategy to build it, ensuring every action aligns with your true purpose. Unshakable authority where we'll exchange the need for external validation with grounded self trust, positioning you as the leading and body authority you're meant to be, and proven results. Roy'll get transformation that delivers immediate, measurable relief from the tired, mad and blos cycle affecting your health, wealth and love. With only three exclusive slots available, this opportunity is reserved for those who are ready to commit to their quantum leap in impact and income. You can book your legacy call today at musingzimodalities dot com and step into your true power. Like to introduce Jess Lane, founder of the Full Cup Company. Jess is an award winning marketing and business executive with twenty plus years of experience building and scaling world class brands across Fortune five hundred, high growth, technology, lifestyle and financial services.
Speaker 1: She also has a recent.
Speaker 2: Master's level education in psychology that she is finishing up the first half of her career spans iconic global brands like Porsche, Visa, nicelob Ultra, Ole, so many others, as well as high growth tech companies where she's led teams to IPO and Unicorn status. So impressive, so incredible. Jess knows what it takes to build at the highest level, and she knows what it costs when it's taken away.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jess.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to continue our conversation that you and I had when we first met me too.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. What an intro. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, what an incredible kind of really career.
Speaker 2: But that always feels so limiting when you say that, because we're going to talk about career pivots we both have, you know, and now that we really coach others through that same transition that we had to figure out for ourselves and really understand the high highs and the low lows of working in you know, fast paced like no holes barred, big decisions, no one's done this before environments. So I'd love to just kind of talk about your background more and what led to the pivot that you had.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. I think sometimes looking back things make more sense, of course than when we're in them. But the cliffs notes for me were, you know, my first one years were really spent in as you mentioned, sort of these you know, Fortune five hundred brands, and I started big and then I slowly went smaller. So I've worked on big brands like Practer and Gamble, Portia, Visa, and then I went to brands I group on and then the real real and you know, I think the biggest learning here is that, you know, you start to understand best in class principles in terms of how to build a brand, uh, and how to really build a long standing brand that stand for something in a distinctive, differentiated brand, because anyone can really sell cars and toilet paper. Those are commodities if you really think about it. But yeah, look at how many options we have and how many different brands of those we have, right, so you can really start to learn how to create commercial value is the point. And the smaller that I went in my career in terms of the organizations, the more hands on I was, and I was able to actually build those things from scratch at the end. So the last company I actually worked for.
Speaker 3: My last nine to five was a real high high and a real low low.
Speaker 5: Like you said, because we've all experienced these things sort of out of our control, and then you know, we give our all and so this was a great example of something where you know, we reached a billion dollar unicorn status as a company, so the smallest company I'd ever worked for, the most hands on, I'd let a brand launch that had helped contribute to this valuation, so really high high. And then yeah, Christmas right before Christmas of twenty twenty too was kind of that climax for me where I was let go and a mass reduction with one hundred and fifty other people. So that's kind of the CliffsNotes on the first half. And then that led me to where I am today. But I'll pause there because I could continue and talk about sort of what led me here. But we've all been, I think, in a position of transition, and I think that that just deserves some acknowledgement.
Speaker 2: It does, Yeah, because I really wanted to highlight kind of the exact moment you were done, because I've seen this through past coworkers all over LinkedIn where people are choosing, like after there's reduction workforce after being let go, and they go, actually, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to work in tech anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be a part of this system, you know what have you or they're not able to as well where they're doing a lot of applications and it feels there's clearly a misalignment, right and maybe.
Speaker 1: Their highest purpose yea.
Speaker 2: So here we dive in a little bit more into the exact moment you're like, oh no, I'm really done, Like.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, okay, because this is actually I think so wise of you, because I think it was when I started to share these details that I started to see community forming around Oh me too, you know, in terms of relating in some way. So for me, this soulful sort of alignment pivot, but also strategic, I got to tell you, because of the market was I applied to four hundred and ninety six jobs. So I did what we were told to do, which is turn around, be gritty, get in there, and we just covered my professional history. So it wasn't the best in the world, but I was no sloud and even with brands like that on the resume, even with experienced impact like that on the resume, it was a no go for me, and I started to also feel in my body during that time it's like, okay, application three hundred. I also have to get real honest with myself about do I even want this? And I have to tell you every cell in my body was saying now I don't. And it's hard because I think that a lot of people still to this day will be like, we'll just go like, keep on it, keep doing it, keep at it. So a lot of my friends were like, well, here's this job, and here's this job. And at some points I found myself getting a little frustrated and being like, I'm not I don't think I'm doing that, you know.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know what was next.
Speaker 5: So what led what followed was first I had this, you know, I need to pull up the photo. It was a wall full of fluorescent post it so it looked like a beautiful mind. And I was mapping, literally physically mapping what could be possible for me. And then I thought, hold on a second, hold on a second. If I am sitting here this kerfuffled in this messy of a middle, there's got to be a better way. And I've built solutions to things my whole life, and you know, looked at data and trends, and when I looked up and I saw the market too, So there was this twofold moment for me. In summary, it was this resell on my body. I was forty two, so I was sort of looking at what is next just from a human development standpoint Eric Erickson, you know, and I was also looking at the market for what it was telling me, which was the jobs for my specific level, my specific talent set just weren't.
Speaker 3: What they used to be.
Speaker 5: But I also knew that more was possible than ever before because I was also paying attention. And again I'd been looking at data and trends for years. So I went back to school to get my master's in psychology, which i'm finishing this term, last term, thank you. And not everyone has to do that. You don't have to upscale in that way.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a purpose driven effort for me to be able to have the foundation to go and then create something of my own. And I wanted to make sure that again just me specifically had that skill set.
Speaker 3: And then I created the full.
Speaker 5: Cup call and I really designed a method that was the best of me. It's simple it's just based on sort of my psychology education and the best of my marketing and I thought, let's solve the problem that I had, which was what do I do next?
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 2: We are so similar and that's why I've loved every conversation I've had with you, because exact same story of like I was, like, I've done this. I've done this with some of the biggest brands in the world. Like there's a level of genius within.
Speaker 3: Both of us.
Speaker 2: I want to acknowledge, right because you know, I think both everyone is special, and I know there's that equanimity where that means no one is special. But I do want to honor and highlight the gifts we're all given, you know, in whatever field and discipline, because there is something so beautiful about what we've been able to create outside of that corporate structure, when given the freedom, to the autonomy to you know, and listening to our own bodies that said, there's nothing in the system I was.
Speaker 1: A part of that I feel called to keep.
Speaker 4: Going into and you know where your body.
Speaker 2: Was rejecting it right when it's like you're just like no, repelling it actually right, like.
Speaker 5: In Japan, they're like, we can't do sorry, we can't take you, you know, for service, and it's like that was it was like no, no, I just couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: No, I totally, I totally hear you.
Speaker 5: We are so aligned in so many ways and that alchemy that you're referencing of taking a really crappy situation and not only turning it into something positive for yourself but also of service or impact to others. Yes, everyone has to make a living, but the knowledge we both freely share knowledge, you know, and in frameworks and whatnot, and I think that, yeah, there's some real power in that. So I love that you paused on that there is I know.
Speaker 2: I love transformations, and I love how that's building our legacies right and really what we're achieving in this lifetime and how we feel good about it and a little blessing to people like yeah, there's a I don't want to say, I'll say a footnote in your story where you took you know, one company to unicorn status. Well we'll say it's a footnote because I know there's so much more for you Like that will feel like just to be oh, yeah I did do that, But you know what else about like I've built so much more above really different ways.
Speaker 5: You know, I always say, like I've worked on really cool brands. There's no disputing the brands that I've worked on are cool.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't do that.
Speaker 5: Also now I think my brand is the coolest brand I've ever worked on.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 5: That's part of what you're referencing in terms of like we were saying, kind of like for me specifically, I'm forty. So when you hit like forty, you know, generativity versus stagnation and kind of that stage.
Speaker 3: Where we're looking to know what impact.
Speaker 5: You know, we're going to create, And you talk a lot about legacy, and I think that that can look so different for so many folks bought or and it is. It's really it becomes a bigger deal, I think too. You know, the more the more we grow and the more we.
Speaker 4: Experience absolutely, And so I would love to dive into your work more.
Speaker 2: So you work with many like mid to senior level executives through your strategic executive exit program, which is so important. So you know, i'd love to dive into your background as you're working through your psychology studies and your masters and your business strategy that you've you know, these beautiful street smarts as well as corporate smarts that you have to really navigate the transition of your clients.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. Well, you know again, I think it all starts with my framework and my approach. So I think, you know, we'll talk a little bit about kind of my method, but the actual strategic executive exit program is a ninety dight program. It's really meant to consolidate that messy middle, I think, and I know you have a similar train of thought. Not to put words in your mouth, but you need that landing and that launchpad, you know, right, And we know that that messy middle can last years for people now because there are applying to jobs and waiting to hear back, not sure where to go next. And it's like, hold the fort. Let's get that right. It's not to say if I'm your first stop, i'll be your last stop. You'll have tons to go and build. But let's figure out like why you're doing it, and if this is truly going to be your second chapter, and then let's make it worthwhile and let's start from a foundational place. So that's what we do again. The first half is really the intrinsic piece and the psychology piece. It's based on the best of psychology, to be honest with you, what we know to be true about motivational psychology. There's some interesting career psychology frameworks that we incorporate. For instance, I'll give you a little bit of a sink peak and I won't bore everyone.
Speaker 3: We only have a half hour, and I could go on for days.
Speaker 5: But for instance, career construction theory is this idea that you take all of your different micro experiences, all the different jobs that you've had in your career, and you break down the micro narratives and themes for instance, why did I even take that job, or what drew me to that job, why did I leave the other job for that job, and you just kind of start to understand the mini micro narratives. And what that allows you to do, in combination with some other intrinsic work, is you're then able to understand this larger macro narrative. And so I think that that's a really fun piece of it. But there's also a lot of other fun things that we do in the upfront in terms of the intrinsic piece. To wrap that part up, the reason that we start there in the first half with the intrinsic psychology piece is because it's based in decades of research that show us that our intrinsic motivators are going to take us away way further in terms of well being in success than following extrinsic motivators.
Speaker 3: So that's self determination.
Speaker 5: Theory plus with AI, we don't want to sound like everyone else. We want to sound more like us than ever, and the best way to do that is to start with our unique blueprint. So that's the first half, is we kind of unpacked. Sorry the garbage man is here, y'all. I'm really sorry. I hope you can't hear that in the background. And then so the first half is we basically are unpacking those key deeps in terms of what makes you you. And then the second half we're opportunity mapping that and we're seeing what gets us closest to your purpose, your skills, the market. We're doing some market research. We are using AI. AI is not driving our themes. We're using it for a market research and to model what business model makes sense to us based on our values and where we meet the market and our skills. What does the future of work look like when we don't have to rely on a nine to five employer, the world is our oyster and it totally depends are we starting a bakery, do we have our lag corn On Blue certificate, or are we, you know, offering a digital product or digital service. And then we prototype it, we test it, and then we learn from that, and we wrap up with the goals and the activation plan. So that second half is really everything I learned in my marketing career, Like you said, those corporate and sort of streets like how do we build a brand and how do we differentiate it? But we start with you because that's your best way into the future of work, and that's it, and we wrap that in ninety days. Certainly there's a lot of tools and resources and detailed goodness within that, but we really make sure the end your transition architecture is tight boo, because typically it's not that you're not excited about an idea, you're more like, how do I go do it exactly?
Speaker 3: That we have exactly? But that's it. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: No, and I feel like the ninety day transformation it's really hard when you are working with clients and it's like, oh, six months from now, you'll possibly feel better, and it's like, no one wants that, but that's not feasible, that's not It's like ninety days can completely change your life in a beautiful way, through opportunities, through you know, how you feel in your body, through.
Speaker 1: All of these factors.
Speaker 2: And I love that it feels achievable because time in our brain, I feel like, can play tricks on us. Right, we think about a year from now and then ten years from now. You know, like as we think about like longevity and different things, we go like, oh, that feels so long, and like you think about five years ago and you're like, oh wow, that feels like a wind, a blink of an eye.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We start to look at like photos on your phone and you're like, oh wow, those eight years ago. I feel like, you know, it was much more recent than that. And so there really is something to this like transformational time period in only three months that my mentors used with me. You know, we're both using that. I think it's really just exceptional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I really appreciate that. I didn't know.
Speaker 5: I wasn't aware that your mentors also have used that framework. But I have seen it to your point successful. And I think it's the power of a framework and the power of community and support is wild because the folks that you're dealing with, I presume, and I know my clients as well, are super smart. So it's not that they don't understand the method or the methodology or couldn't necessarily do it on their own. It's a little bit more like some of it is proprietary and you need to us. But also it's the power of following a framework within a time frame, committing to yourself, deciding and going through that together with that support and of course expertise. But yeah, I mean I think what time is your most valuable resource? Yeah, if you can not rush, but yeah, consolidate that messy middle that's going to set you I think up ahead for success for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely, especially when there's that accountability piece too, because I know when I'm meeting with someone, like when I'm learning and ready to up level, like having someone else hold me accountable in different ways to myself and like the commitments I made, I'm like, oh, yes, Like everyone needs that. Coaches need that too, you know, we all need that person that is kind of helped pushing you because you're fully in.
Speaker 1: Your coach is fully in with you.
Speaker 2: It's just beautiful like when that happens and there's that beautiful alignment.
Speaker 3: I totally agree.
Speaker 4: As we think about kind of the most common mindset or.
Speaker 2: Like mindset block or fear you see that these executives are facing when they decide to kind of step away from that, you know, the golden handcuffs the high status, high burnout careers to design their next chapter.
Speaker 1: What are some common themes that you know you've seen time and again.
Speaker 5: For sure, there's definitely an identity slash eagle loss that comes with thinking about especially if you have worked like I did for twenty years for others and on purpose decided the brands that you wanted to work on, so you know, it felt like that was pulled out. So probably one of the biggest things is just rebuilding that identity and also understanding that you don't have to start from scratch, right.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the biggest.
Speaker 5: Unlocks for me was just yoinking back that value and that impact I made. It was okay that I didn't have that title anymore, and yes I needed to replace my monetary salary. However, all the things I've done, all the you know, and yes, efforts I lad with teams, of course, but you know that impact was still true and that value was still true. And it sounds silly, but we can often feel such a loss.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a big one.
Speaker 5: And I think the other thing is asking for help. Oftentimes we are so qualified and understanding. You may be familiar with this, but again, just another theory that is very basic, and it's sort of a concept, which is Schlasberg's transition theory, and it's the four essays, but one of the four essays in terms of what people need during times of transition is support. It's very basic, but it's also just very key, and I think it's hard for us sometimes to realize that the folks that we relied on for support before might not be the folks that we necessarily are going to help us get to where we need to go, where we want to go. And it doesn't mean anyone's right or wrong. It just means you're changing, and you're growing, and you may and you're likely going to need to look at things a little bit differently, right, And those things sound pretty basic, but when you have someone who's been operating under ego pretenses, operating on behalf of an employer for decades and having that be the transaction and the identity, and you have been the one that is study and solving the problems, not needing to ask for help, solving your own problems. That those become real hurdles. And I think once you can at least focus on those two things, things get a lot easier.
Speaker 2: It definitely does, especially when you talk about the perhaps the people that follow it fall away during this time, or the people that you're like, oh, I maybe went to you advice previously, Like you were really good at helping me as a corporate mentor, but you didn't build a business. You didn't build something from the ground up, and so you know, like there could be a different relationship there. But that relationship we had is, you know, is no longer. There needs to be kind of a transformation. And I also find it really interesting. I think one of the biggest hurdles I've kind of worked through with my clients is their lifestyle creep and they go like, oh, but I actually need all of this, I need all of the things I purchased.
Speaker 1: I need kind of what I've attained to this level. People need to know that ego piece.
Speaker 2: They need to know how successful I am through my vehicles, through this, through that, And this is said out completely without judgment, right, that was their truth.
Speaker 1: And it's also like and what actually makes you happy?
Speaker 2: Like what like if that all disappeared tomorrow, Like how would you feel?
Speaker 1: Would you actually feel lighter?
Speaker 4: Like how can you work through your current reality?
Speaker 1: You know, and understanding and maybe ways.
Speaker 2: That you still feel fulfilled and you still feel happy and you can express yourself through fashion, But that doesn't mean it's something directly off the runway. Maybe this season, you know, there's other ways and more creative ways.
Speaker 5: I think that the Salvation Army run personally, but that's just me. But that actually also came out of lifestyle choices, right, Yeah, like you're saying we are very similar minded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have like a I call it, you can.
Speaker 5: Call it whatever you want, but you know, the five key pillers of wellness, you know, And it's just that's what we start with and that's what we end with because to your point, and it's all related and b.
Speaker 3: It does eb and flow. How full your.
Speaker 5: Cup is you know, is up to you, you know, but it is there are choices, right, and so just kind of evaluating that. And sometimes we're on an autopilot because we've been doing the things. So these career pauses can sometimes be bigger life pauses because we're like, oh, it's such a big part of our lives. It kind of makes us reevaluate everything. So it makes sense we wouldn't evaluate it in Asilah.
Speaker 2: Especially when you think about the things maybe you've outsourced that you actually do find joy in, like grocery shopping. Like there was a time in my life I was very busy with my corporate job and with something I outsource either to my.
Speaker 4: Husband or to you know, a delivery worker.
Speaker 2: And I really love like talking with cashiers, and I love that, like going to the market vibe, not when it's busy, right, I pick you know, my either Friday.
Speaker 6: Evenings or times when you know it's Friday even Yeah, exactly, there's a calmness to it and I just get to meander and that's really beautiful and like have very like beautiful conversations.
Speaker 2: With people, And that's something I would feel my world would feel very small if that wasn't a part of my routine. And so I think it's a beautiful opportunity as well. You know, we talked about identity, and we talked about kind of rebuilding someone's day essentially.
Speaker 4: Right with what they're filling their day with and what they're filling their cup with.
Speaker 2: And so I wanted to hear kind of in the Full Cup method, you know, how they build kind of the their next stage of life and their transition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Well, it is all about starting with the five key pillars of allness. That's literally how we start.
Speaker 3: And it's a self.
Speaker 5: Assessment and it's just giving you the prompts. But to your point, it's less about the financial and we get to save financial wellness, right, It's less about the number in the bank account, and it's more like how do you feel about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you, for example, have like.
Speaker 5: Pretty great cash flow but from a job it's you know, killing you and you're overextended. How is your relationship with money in terms of allowing it to fund your choices?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: And so it's more about those type of prompts.
Speaker 5: And I think what we're saying is is that and what I my whole philosophy on the Full Cup method is it starts with you right, you get to determine what a full cup is to you. You don't have to default to a system that tells you how to live your life, because the truth is, you and I don't just help people design what's next for them in their careers. Right, we're helping design next chapters in some way, shape or form, And so it starts with that transformative place from yourself. You're determining what a full cup looks like for you. I'm just providing you the framework. And I think that's the beauty of working with clients within a framework is they have that in them. You're just giving them the tools and the support. For me, a full cup looks like peace, freedom, the ability to build and create, and I want to be able to help others do that. But I think honestly, it's about enabling people to choose themselves and you know, have the freedom to explore that, but also.
Speaker 3: Have the tools to be able to live the life.
Speaker 5: You know that they're meant to live and design the career that's meant for them. So yeah, it's all about following your unique path and determining what a full cup looks like for you, and to remove that need to default to this sort of what I believe it was a bit of a broken system, but you get to decide that's what I like about it.
Speaker 2: That's so beautiful, especially because what is not to put words in your mouth, but I would assume that what is a full cup now doesn't mean that's going to be the same in five or ten years.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That continues to evolve with you, just like your dream life continues to evolve with you.
Speaker 5: Abs and it flows and one cup by people and I'm really you know, pressed for social time, but I'm really invested over here or no, I need to make time for my family and I'm taking a dip here. And it doesn't mean life is perfect or every cup is always fully full, but you're just sort of aware of the balance and the integration piece and that you're sort of anchored and those a lying values you know, or across and.
Speaker 3: So just bringing awareness to that.
Speaker 5: You know, we do so much work on behalf of others, our whole lives, and oftentimes especially gives so much of ourselves over to other entities. So oftentimes, as you know, when we're doing this work with folks, it's it's some of the first times they've had to be able to kind of, like we said, have that landing space to spread it all out kind of beautiful minded, but then also refine and define and then kind of launch off back into the world. But you do, you know, you kind of need that framework in that space. So I'm so grateful, you know, to have a like minded colleague like you who totally gets where I'm coming from, because I'm like, I wish I had this, you know, So I'm grateful you exist, so.
Speaker 1: Grateful, same same. Absolutely. Where can the audience find you?
Speaker 4: Is there any thing upcoming you'd like to share?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much. Two things.
Speaker 5: You can find us at the full cupco dot com and you can follow me on LinkedIn, Jocelyne. Those are the two places right now. And then yes, So in addition to the ninety day program, we're also going to have a ninety minute Career Design Clarity sprint, So that's much more accessible for folks if they're not willing eble et cetera to commit to a ninety day program, and that way you get a jumpstart on what the future of work would look like, a customized planned for you and a whole dedicated ninety minute session. So I'll be sure to aw set on our channels when it's ready to go. But thank you so much, so awesome to be with you all, same, same.
Speaker 1: And thank you all for watching Musings and Modalities.
Speaker 2: Tune in the second and four Thursdays of each month at three thirty pm Pacific six thirty pm Eastern for more fabulous episodes. Thank you for listening, Thank you for tuning into this week's episode of Musings and Modalities. The truth has a resonance and if you felt that today, I invite you to subscribe to my channel. Be sure to share this episode with anyone ready to step into their legacy.