Speaker 1: What if you could have a career where the opportunities are as fast as our nation, where it's not about mission statements, but a shared mission. At US Customs and Border Protection, we go beyond to protect more than borders, from ship to shore, air to ground, cities to local communities. CBP agents and officers are keeping people safe. Join US Customs and Border Protection and go beyond for something far greater than yourself. Learn more at CBP dot gov slash careers.
Speaker 2: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you at fist pumper, a woo or a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever At Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: NOE were necessary Ideally Revoid where everybody lost in terms disitions.
Speaker 5: Eighteen plus With lucky land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: Nearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 1: Or sorry, we're here.
Speaker 4: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 2: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registering.
Speaker 3: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions applying see website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table upright, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and editions. Applying to the website for detail.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 7: Good Evening, A day celebrating the beauty of God's handiwork turns into a father's worst nightmare as the sun sets on his only son, Jared Adadero, lost in the Colorado Mountains. A highly publicized search breaks into a national story as reports surface concerning Jared's whereabouts? Did jareded fall prey to a territorial mountain lion? Was he a victim of the elements? Did someone take Jared off the mountain? Is Jared alive? Or did he become the victim of a notorious serial killer. The second edition includes new theories and thoughts provided by experts in the field of criminal investigation. Missing When the sun Sets, The Jared Adadero story is the personal account of a father's painful search to discover the truth. The book that we're featuring this evening is Missing When the Sun Sets with my special guest journalist and author Alan Adadero. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for a Greenness interview. Alan Adadero, Thank you, Anna.
Speaker 8: I really appreciate being here. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much. This is a little bit of a departure, quite a bit of a departure for this program. However, the audience will appreciate this very incredible perspective on this most incredible tale. So let's go back to October nineteen ninety nine. You have a three year old son. Explain your family situation and you're living in Colorado. Explain your family situation before we get into the details of this story. We we're talking about nineteen ninety nine, So tell us about your background and where you were in life, and before we talk about the Christian singles and the retreat and also the hike itself.
Speaker 8: Not a problem. I'm back in nineteen ninety nine. My twin brother and I both owned a resort together up in the Pudu Canyon called the Pudu Canyon Resort or the Puduh River Resort, i should say, And it was something that we use for our family. It was a resort that we use for a lot of different retreats, and the weekend where Jared actually disappeared, there was a retreat going on at the resort and we went up with the mountains just to enjoy it, and before you know it, my son was missing. And that's where the story began.
Speaker 7: Now, as I mentioned, you had a six year old Well, as I mentioned, we'd like to get the background just beforehand, because we'll be introducing characters that are obviously very very important the story. You have a six year old daughter named Jocelyn, and so tell us about You have a her mother is Angie or and and your boy's mother's Angie as well, So tell us a little bit about that background and about your daughter. And again you have a twin brother named Marlon, and explain also this this faith that obviously is going to be instrumental in helping you cope with this in any way, So tell us about that fellowship as well.
Speaker 8: Sure. Well, we originally my brother and I purchased the Pooda River Resort and we came to Colorado. I brought both of my kids over here, Jocelyn and Jared both and their mom and I had just separated, so we wanted a new start. It was one of those things to where it was something just to kind of to move on in life. And it was a neat place to be because we had this resort and we wanted to let people know that they could utilize it and they could have peace up there. For instance, like the Christian Singles Network, they came up to use the resort. We actually at one time even built across and we let the cross and we set it on the mountain right there in front of our resort. Because we wanted people to know that if they came to that area and if they were having any problems, they could stop there and we would be more than willing to help them. For instance, we would have people run out of gas or break down, and we always offered a cabin free for the night because we just didn't want to take advantage of people who were experiencing a bad situation in their life. So it was nice because I have my kids there. I've worked there during the day at night, and I was a lucky father because I got to spend every moment with my kids while I was actually working. And what happened is I had left California. My brother and I were both teachers there so this was a new experience for me, but it was one of the neatest things, being able to come to Colorado and enjoy God's beauty and be with my kids at the same time.
Speaker 7: Now, tell us a little bit about Colorado, because not everyone had knows much about Colorado and also doesn't know much about sort of the phenomena of a hiking and how much people really enjoy that and partake in that. So tell us a little bit about your interest in that as well, and tell us a little bit before we start about this mountain that you would partake and do hiking upon.
Speaker 8: Sure, if you come to Colorado and you go up a highway forty there's the Powdha Canyon and it's it's one of the best looking canyons in the entire country, much less Colorado, but it has a river running through it, and our resort was built right on the river. We had one hundred yards of riverfront property. We had people camping up there with several cabins and the works. But you could come to Colorado and the beauty is incredible. No matter where you go in the mountains, there are trails you can hike up there. The recreational activities and opportunities are immense, and people actually traveled to the Pudha River throughout the world. We had visitors staying at our resort from all over the place, and it was just a place people would go to appreciate that the beauty of the mountains have to offer and it was just an excellent place to get to and just relax.
Speaker 7: Now, tell us a little bit about three year old Jared, what was really his character at that time, and tell us a little bit about you talk about the sadly watching The last thing that you did together was watching Godzilla, and you had made plans about watching another movie. We'll talk about that a little bit later, but tell us about what was this three year old Jared's real character.
Speaker 8: Like, Jared was one of the neatest kids you can ever meet. As a matter of fact, people used to come up to me and say, who's Alan and the responsibility You know, he's the father of little Jared, because people knew Jared before they knew me. And Jared had just an incredible personality, always smiling, always having fun. He enjoyed life. He enjoyed every moment of his life, like to suck his he saw things that I didn't see, like, for instance, you're talking about them that very last night that I was with Jared. We actually we want to put the resort we're living down in the Denver area, and we went to the resort to spend the weekend there and we put a little bit of football, some catch back and forth, having fun, and then I slowly fell asleep, but Jared woke me up because we were watching, or he was watching at the time, the movie Godzilla. And it was funny because I'll tell this part of the story. It was funny because Jared looked at me and said, Daddy, you got to watch this part. You have to watch. And I'm like, Jared, why don't need to watch this? He says, Daddy, just watch. And as god Zilla ran through the city, he turned and went down one street and as he turned, Jared said to me, Daddy, you can see as we wei and I just started laughing. I'm like, Jared, I can't believe he just said that to me. But that's the way Jared was. He was so innocent, so full of joy, happy, can instantly had a smile on his face. And he was a type of kid that he gave more love than he ever received. So it's just been incredible or indifficult being without him.
Speaker 7: Now. I know this will be difficult, but you have done this quite a few times, and you've done it eloquently. In print, we talked about the last movie that you watched with him, So tell us about the last events before they went on this hike. Explain that morning and how it came to be that you weren't with them, which would be customary, and why and how Jared was involved, and who was involved in the hike itself. How did it all come into play.
Speaker 8: Well, we went to bed that night and Jared was sleeping on the floor next to me. I was laying on a couch that night, and it's about it was kind of weird because about four o'clock in the morning I could fill a presence staring at me and I didn't know what it was. And I slowly opened my eyes and Jared was standing there in the nude and I looked at him, and he looked at me and he said, Daddy, he said, he said, I wet my pants and he never done that before, and I thought that was kind of a strange behavior for him. But what I did was. I actually picked him up and put him under the blanket with me and snuggled him and warmed him up, and just kind of held on to him, not knowing that that was the last chance I was going to have to hold onto my son. We got up that morning and I just put some simple things on him. I put some sweatpants on him and a T shirt, and he put his tennis shoes on. He he didn't like to wear socks. He just liked to wear shoes. Didn't like to tie his shoes. But later on that morning, we were actually at the resort because this organization had come up. They wanted to help us prepare the resort for the winter. They were going to do some cleaning and stuff. Well, while they were doing that that morning, a group of the individuals that were it was called the Christian Singles. It was a Christian singles group out of the Denver area, and they a couple of them wanted to go on a hike. And I was thinking, originally why they want to go on a hike. I thought they were coming up here to try to help get things situated. But at the same time I didn't want to stop them from going on a hike. And as they were preparing to go on a hike, they were actually going to go on a hike to a trout farm which was about a mile away from us, and my daughter had come up to me, Jocelyn and said, Daddy, he said, all right, if I go look at the fish and I'm like, well, you know, sure. You know a lot of these people are my friends. So I gave permission for her to go, not knowing that Jared was going to be, you know, ten seconds behind her saying, Dad, I want to go to the trout farm too. More or less, he came up asking, and I'm like, there's no way in the world, Jared, I'm letting you go to this fish farm. It's only a mile away, but you're staying with me. But I was reassured that, hey, you know what, it's going to be safe. We're just going to take him over there. We're just going to walk around the lake and by this little fish farm and we'll be back. And that's what I thought, and they took off on their own, sixteen adults. I stayed back at the resort. I was still doing some cleaning and stuff, sat down actually to take a nap about I'm going to guess it may have been a little bit after one. And while I was just closed my eyes and just started to fall asleep, somebody walked into our store, because we had a store that was attached to our apartment, and there was a lot of commotion in the store, just you know, people just very animated, and I didn't know what was going on. And finally they came into the back room and there were two ladies standing there with a friend of mine named Butch, who was our store manager. And I just asked him know what's wrong? And they looked at me and they said, he's okay, we just can't find him. And I'm like, what do you mean he's what are you guys talking about? He's okay, we just can't find him, Jared, He's okay, we just can't find him. Something happened to him. And I'm like, what do you mean something happened? I mean, originally I'm thinking, he's okay, what do you do fall? Did he you know, break his arm? Did he you know, turn an ankle or something like that. But when they said he's okay, we just can't find him, I'm like, oh my gosh, what are you talking about? He's okay, you just can't find him. And not only can you not find him, how do you know he's okay? And so from that moment on, of course, my entire body just started shaking. And again I'm thinking, they're a mile up the road, and you know, let's get in our cars and let's drive up the road here and let's find him. And I soon found out that after that hike, there were several of the adults. They were not happy with what they had just accomplished, and they wanted to go find another trail. So they got together and they drove another I believe it was like sixteen seventeen miles up the up the mountain to a place called the Big South Trail. And when I found out that they had taken Jared elsewhere, I was totally confused. And so we proceeded to drive up the trail and I followed these people, and it was just a crazy drive because I drove extremely fast. I yelled and screamed in my car. I pounded my chest. I felt like someone had stuck the knife in my chest, because you know, I never want to live a day without my son. And I drove up to that trail, knowing at the time that I would find my son and I would bring my son home with me, But at the same time I was experiencing the most the deepest pain I'd ever experienced in my life.
Speaker 7: Now we've just skipped over a really crucial person in this story, or at least a very important one, and that's Janet. Because Jarrett and your daughter already had a relationship with jam as you did, So please explain the relationship with Janet. And so we just backtracked this a little bit too. No problem.
Speaker 8: When when the kids then asked to go up patrol, they had asked me, and Janet was the one who took them. Janet came up to me and said, no problem, I have no problem taking Jocelyn with me. And then when Jared asked too, Janet think, you know, not a problem. You know he's going to be safe. So Janet was the actual person that he entrusted my kids too to go up patrol with.
Speaker 7: Now, when you've already talked about that, you heard the story. Now your son's missing, you don't know anything. You get in the car and you're a mad dash and you know a combination of incredible emotions, conflicting emotions. What did Janet say when you finally spoke to her about what had happened, because you must have asked, what happened Janet? What where? Did? How did Jared get lost?
Speaker 8: Well, the interesting thing is is when I got to the trailhead, I wanted to I had originally back before I left for the trailhead, my buddy Butch said he was going to call the sheriff and and maybe see if they could if we could get some help in the Sheriff's department. And I had originally told him, no, that's all right, you don't need to do that. You know, I'll find my son. So when I got to the trailhead, there were several cars in the parking lot and there was a some people coming down the trail And the first thing I asked was you know they were telling me, of course Jared was missing. But my big concern now was where's my daughter? And I'd actually asked them, you know, where's Joson? Do you guys know where my daughter is? I want, I want, I want to hold my daughter right now. And they had told me that Janet had taken Jocelyn back to the resort, and so when I originally got on that trail head, she wasn't there, and so I was I was kind of frustrated how she got aways, you know, from us, without me even knowing what was going on. But when she finally showed up, she the Sheriff's department had brought her back up to the trailhead and when she saw me, she came up to me. She was running, I mean, she was crying, and she reached out her arms and we both gave each other a hug, and she's saying I'm sorry, and I was telling her, you know, don't worry about it. You know, we're going to find him. I tried to keep my mind in a positive frame and I constantly told her, you know, we're going to find it. We're gonna be all right, We're going to find him. And not long after that, the sheriff, one of the deputies had taken her and put her into another car to interview her to find out what she knew about Jared. But it was just one of those things where she was extremely sorry. I had found out later on a couple of weeks later, somebody was talking to me and they were talking about different things that happened on the mountain, and they told me one story something about, well, you know what we heard, she fell sleep on the trail and she had the kids and they both lay down on a rock and they fell asleep next to her. And it was the first time I'd heard that story, because there's so many different stories going on, but I'd asked my daughter. Right after that, I hung up the phone and I asked Josh. I said, hey, jos and I said, do you know anything about you know, Janet falling asleep and on a rock? And she said, yes, Daddy, She said, we went to sleep on a rock and when we woke up, Jared wasn't there. And so that was the first thing, or the first time I had heard about that situation. Even though this story that was out there was being told that this group of sixteen adults was going back and forth and down the trail and Jared got lost in between him. I think it was I'm sorry, I think it was eleven adults and Jared got lost in between the first group and the last group, and then next thing you know, he passed the upper group and then nobody saw him again.
Speaker 7: Right, And you didn't find that out right away either because the original story was for quite a while, was that there was a group following another group. He left that second group went a head to the first group, and because the first group didn't know about that, Jarrett was coming towards him. He got lost in between those two groups. You found out later that the story was that he had surpassed the front group and someone had said maybe somebody should watch that kid, but no one did exactly that story, no exactly, So go ahead. I wasn't say, yeah, he was running in between the two groups, and that's where I originally thought maybe something happened. But again, like you said, he had actually got past that first group, and they were actually saying to each other, you know, someone needs to watch more closely, And even though they were verbalizing that, nobody watched him, and he continued to walk past that first group. The last teup I should say, Now there was a bunch of witnesses Kim, Anthony, Nancy, the Bruce, Margaret, Sandra. Now there were some people that had stories and bits and pieces were confirmed the other person's story, for example, the fisherman and his wife, and then there was two fishermen. So tell us what through through the accounts formed with all these witnesses, what exactly was the story that was pieced together in the official story of who was there and who observed what?
Speaker 8: Well, I know officially after I started, I actually had to order the report to read what happened. And I know officially what had happened was I believe Jared had not only got to the first group and then passed the second group, but as he was walking up the trail, he ran into a couple of fishermen and he actually had a conversation with the fisherman and they continued to walk up the trail, and Jared hadn't even asked them, are there any bear up here? So Jared was a little concerned about what was going on, and they talked to him about bear and stuff. But as they would continue to walk, from what I understand, they got to a point where they were going to head to the river and Jared was all by himself, and they let Jared continue to walk up the trail. And the reason they let Jared continue up the trail because in their own minds, he was with the people behind him, and they figured, hey, he's not that far ahead of him, and don't catch him eventually, So these two fishermen literally had a chance to stay with him and save him, but they just let him walk on by after they had a conversation with him.
Speaker 7: Right now, was there any other talk of any other strangers or other people spotted by the eleven adults that were on the hike itself any before we get into some of the other possibilities. But as in terms of people other than the fishermen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there were several people on the trail were there was another couple that had a dog that they had interviewed, and I think there was some other people on the trail too that they'd come down and people had interviewed. But at the same time, the trail you can either start at the very base of the trail, the big South Trail, or you can go up to Chambers Lake and start from the lake and come back down. Now, from what I understand, you know, some people were not totally seen, but people were hurt on the trail too. For instance, at one time people were actually making the comment that they heard a playful school what they thought was a playful scream up above on the trail in the direction where Jared was and then he disappeared, so they weren't sure if someone had actually grabbed Jared and then walked back up the trail and left out through the Chambers Lake area.
Speaker 7: Now you discovered later on, and this is a startling part of your book that you were told by somebody else, And describe that scream because you're not really aware of that scream right away or it's important. And then your daughter runs into the room and overhears a conversation. So tell us about that. I know we're jumping.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brown two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 4: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for chumba casino.
Speaker 2: Chum. That's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Um chumbacasino dot com. Baty plus stirs the conditions of blue website retails ahead.
Speaker 7: But we're on that, So tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah exactly. You know, Originally, like I said, I was trying to put everything together, and again I was talking to a friend on the phone and they were telling me, yeah, well so and so said they heard a scream, and I'm like, really, I've never heard that before. And this, again, was three or four weeks after Jared disappeared, and I had no idea that there was any type of a scream. And I know in the report now some people talk about hearing something, but my daughter was in the other room and you got to remember she was six years old at the time, and she was extremely innocent, and at the same time, she was trying to figure out what could have happened to her brother. But as while I'm conversing with this person talking about the scream, It's like, you're kidding. How come no one told me this? Jossy walked into the bedroom and said, Daddy, are they talking about the scream? And I'm like, yeah, honey, did you hear a scream? And she's the one who actually came out and told me, yeah, Daddy, we heard this scream and it came from above the trail, and we thought somebody was playing with Jared, and then we thought maybe somebody may have taken Jared. So that's, you know, the first time I actually got hurt anything like that. No one had told me that in the first couple of weeks, and it was from a friend on the phone, and then it was Jocelyn confirming it.
Speaker 7: Now let's go back to the initial police, the sheriff's reaction, and your reaction, of course to the sheriff's reaction. So let's talk about what the police initially do. And I can't even imagine, except that I've read this book and so I do know what you did and how you responded. So again, you'd do an excellent job in describing how you felt at that time. So take us back to the initial police because we're not skipping ahead, but let's go back to the initial response. What did the Sheriff's department do and what could you do? And what was your reaction? What did you first do this incredible news.
Speaker 8: Well, when we first got the news, you know, we went to the trail and I said, I was up on the trail. I was running and searching for Jared and yelling and screaming for him. And I had no idea just how huge the area was, how large it was, and I really believe I was going to find Jared, and I yelled and screen for him. And when I realized I'm not going to find him. I need some help. I went running back down the trail, and I was terrified because I had told which not to call the Sheriff's department. But when I got down to the base of the trail, I witnessed one of the sheriffs already at the trail. I had in the parking lot, and they had told me that originally that the search and rescue team was coming up, and at the same time too. It wasn't long after our conversation with the search and rescue team did show up. I observed them getting their groups together and taken off looking for Jared. Now that's the first thing that happened. It wasn't at that time. It was one of those situations where everybody thought this was going to be over in a matter of hours. They were going to find Jared that night. But as time went on, things began to happen different frustrations and works. For instance, I desperately myself after they had set everything up their search camp and the works, they kind of closed the trail off where no one can go back up on the trail themselves, and I desperately wanted to go up and look for my son. As a matter of fact, my family had flown in from California the very next day, and we all wanted to go up the trail looking for Jared. And finally, on that Sunday, I believe it was, we tried to get up the trail and the sheriffs the deputies had their radios and they were talking back and forth, and there were several situations that happened that were really frustrating. For instance, I was in our resort at one time and I was with one of the deputies and somebody called our resort and they asked for me, and I spoke to them and I said, listen, we have trained search dogs and we would like to bring them up to help search for your son. And I'm excited about them. I'm like, oh gosh, this is great. I said, you're not going to believe this. The deputy in charge of the search is standing right next to me. You can talk to them. So I gave the phone to the deputy, and before I know what, I hear the deputy saying, you know what, if we need your help, we'll call you. Thank you very much, and hung up. And in my mind I'm like, wait a second, if we need you, we'll call you. How are you going to call them medi even ask that person for their name, and he just shut them out. And so that was frustrating, and I had that happen many times. I had that happen even years later, where people would come up to me and say, you will never understand how hard are we trying to get on that trail And we had the best dogs in the state, and we were told no constantly. It was getting kind of frustrating. That was the first frustrating thing that happened. But as my family got there, Like I said, my mom, my aunt, and my sister in law were on the trailhead and I hear this over the radio saying, if the atta Arro family doesn't calm down, we're going to arrest them, and I'm like, what the heck. And my brother was sending next to them in the resort, and I said to my brother, I said, oh my gosh, what's going on up at the trailhead. They're gonna arrest mom and your wife. And so we got in the car and started driving up up the mountain to the trailhead and had about halfway up, the car full of the ladies passes us coming back down to the trailhead. So I'm thinking, oh, man, they must be really upset, because you know, they must have been doing something. When we get to the trailhead and it's all calm, So finally all my ladies get back up there, and we asked them, we know what's going on. You know, we were told we hurt over the radio, they were gonna arrest you guys, and like what, you know, we went back to get some jackets. That's getting cold up here. And I later find out that my sister in law told me she said we were just requesting to get up the trail and they were telling us, no, you can't help search, and we got frustrated. And after that frustration, that's when one of the deputies radio and everyone else saying, if they try to get up on the trail, we're arresting them. And it was it was. It was a sad situation because when we finally got the opportunity to go up and look for Jared ourselves, it was a day later. We had fought for hours to get up that trail, and on the way back down the trail, we'd finished looking for Jared ourselves. On the way back down the trail, the deputy stopped me right before we got back from the parking lot and said, listen, I just want you to know one thing that you've been causing a lot of problems for us. And I'm like, what do you mean? And this is my son, you know, how can we be causing problems for you guys? And in the meantime, you know, a lot of other things had happened the day before that. You know, there was a there was a helicopter actually looking for Jared, and that helicopter crashed on the trail. So there was a lot of frustration and everything up there. But at the same time, not to the point to where you turn people away or look at my family and tell them they're going to be arrested because they want to find this little boy.
Speaker 7: No, I could agree with you there, but you felt it very important to include that. When you heard about the ambulances, and so did other people, they came to a really quick conclusion that Jared must have been found. So tell us about this again, false hope, moment of maybe adulation in your mind, but obviously didn't turn out, So tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Sure, Jared disappeared on a Saturday. It was October two, which'll the anniversary is coming up this Friday in a couple of days, and they were trying to get a helicopter to search, but they kept saying they were having problems, they couldn't get one lined up. And then I heard at the last minute on that Saturday morning, they were going to get a hui out of Wyoming and this huie was going to come up the mountain. The huie makes that noise wopping sound, and then you can hear it. It's a distinctive sound. And so when we heard it coming up the canyon, I went outside with Jossy. I had her in my arms, and we watched this helicopter fly right up and over our resort, up the mountain, and jos and I both kind of hug each other and we did kind of a victory dance. It's like, Okay, cool, there's a helicopter going up there, and it's gonna This helicopter's gonna find Jared. So we were excited. And about maybe two hours after the helicopter had flown by us, I started receiving phone calls from people up and down the canyon. From the base of the canyon coming up toward the resort, and people were calling me and I'd answered the phone and they'd say did they find They'd asked me, did they find Jared. I'm like, what do you mean? Did they find Jared? And I know it was news to me, and then I told him I know nothing about that, and into the conversation and maybe five or ten minute flitters, somebody else in the canyon would call, Hey, Alan, did they did they find Jared. It's like, why do you guys keep asking me if they found Jared? And they said, because there are all these emergency vehicles and an ambulance. It's flying up the mountain. I'm like, wow, no kidding. So here I'm thinking, oh my gosh, I found my son. You know, I was excited. I mean it was like, you know, to the point where I had many tears in my eyes, and I'm thinking, gee, these guys are flying up the mountain. They've got my son. How come they haven't called me yet? Why haven't they called and informed that they've found my son? And again phone call after a phone call. Well, in the meantime, Jocelyn's mom drives down to another resort right below us to get some things for Jocelyn, and she come flying back into the parking lot, sliding all over the place, putting her brakes on, and she comes jumping out of the car and she goes, You're never going to believe what happened, And I said, what do you mean? She said, the helicopter search for Jared. It crashed, and I'm like, what what do you mean it crashed? I said, no one's even keeping us in the loop, letting us know what's going on. So I tried to get a hold of the deputies up on top of the mountain, and nobody would talk to me. I finally called the Sheriff's department itself and I got ahold of someone and I said, listen, I need to find out. I need to know if that if that helicopter crash looking for a little boy up in the canyon. And the lady said, I can't give you that information, and I said, listen, I need to know. I mean, I finally said, they're looking for my son, and this is ridiculous. Nobody's relating anything to me, and I need to know if they found my son or if the helicopter crashed, And finally she confirmed, yes, the helicopter crashed, And like I said, at the same time, it went from oh my gosh, they found him to you're serious, something else happened on that trail. So the helicopter crashed the very next day, and what was a search and rescue situation turned into a situation where people they were trying to save people's lives at that time, so they had to take their attention away from Jared, which is totally understandable, but at the same time extremely frustrating because again, like I said, the information wasn't being shared and forth.
Speaker 7: Just got to mention too that everyone survived the crash, which is some good news, but also that and also that they were all had injuries of some to some degree.
Speaker 8: Correct, right, And I will always be thankful for those guys. I mean, those guys almost game their life looking for my son.
Speaker 7: Allan. We're just going to pause this for a moment to hear about the sponsor of this program, DirecTV. Right now, they have a super offer nineteen ninety nine a month for twelve months when a twenty four month agreement, and DirecTV is a truly superior alternative to cable with access to over two hundred and eighty five channels and DirecTV's most advanced HDDVR system. Ever. Right now they have three months free of HBO, Showtime, Stars and Cinemax with the Select through Ultimate packages. Watch anytime your favorite true crime like Investigation, Discovery, the first forty eight hours on the Case with Paulson, Crime and Investigation in my all time favorite American Justice. That's in addition to all the latest television programs, the biggest movies, and the very best in sports programming offering amazing bundles and amazing savings. Call one eight five five nine, eight zero three eight one two and switch to DirecTV Today nineteen ninety nine a month for twelve months with three free months of your favorite channels. That's DirecTV one eight five five nine eight zero three eight one two. Now, Allen, you will talk about a woman named Susan from Victim Response Team and you were told by her to you needed to submit to media. The media was becoming highly interested in this story, and you have to issue press releases and be introduced to some media and decide whether you'd want to on what level you'd want to deal with the media. So tell us a little bit about Susan for a Victim Response Team, and then, because this is very important to this story and to this entire book about your interaction with the media throughout this ordeal.
Speaker 8: Well, when Jared first vanished again, like you were saying, Susan came up and said, Hey, you know, you really need to talk to the media because they're coming up the mountain. They're going to be up here. There's going to be a lot of people on this mountain and you can't avoid them. You need to face them. And at the time, I didn't want anything to do with them, nothing to do with the media at all. As a matter of fact, the very first press conference they had, it was on the outside of one of our windows of our store. I didn't even show my face. I had one of my friends go out there and speak for me, and I snuck up from the window, had the window open, and I listened to the entire thing, because again I didn't want anything to do with the media. I'm concerned about my son and they're concerned about his story. Well, it was kind of strange because as one day turned into two, which turned into three, so and so forth, I realized, oh my gosh, they're not finding Jared, and so I all of a sudden told myself you know what, you need these guys and they're coming to you for the story, but you need to go to them so that they can plaster your son's picture all over the place. So that's when, all of a sudden, my mindset changed and I started to cooperate with anyone and everyone in the media because I wanted my son's picture out there just in case somebody had him, just in case he was out there and he was traveling around and somebody could see him, and and that was just important because they were my external voice helping me. For instance, well, there was a newscast I believe it was on that Monday, and one of the channels was talking about Jared and they were showing his picture, and there was a arranger at in Mason Very National Park and he was eating dinner with his wife and Jared's face came on the screen. And when Jared's face was on the screen, the guy dropped his fork, look at his wife and said, oh my gosh, that's the little boy I saw today. I'm pretty sure it's the same kid. And so he kept watching the story and he heard it Jared and he goes, I think the man was calling him Gerald or something, and he explained to his wife. He said, this little boy was a man, and he kept breaking away from the man and running up and grabbing my hand, and I thought that was kind of strange. But I took a little boy back to the man. I thought it was his father, and a few minutes later, the little kid would break away and run back up and grab my hand again and again. He kept calling him Gerald, and he said, but this was one of the first frustrating things that happened in Jared's case, because I reported this incident to the sheriff's department, and the sheriff's department stated that they would talk to this guy. And then they came out and stated, we interviewed this guy. There's nothing to his story. It's not valid. Jared wasn't there. They're just not a whole out to his story. And every time I tried to talk about that, I was always told, you know what, the sheriff told us that he interviewed this guy. Well, when I talked to the ranger, the ranger told me that he said Alan, he said, I'm glad you called me. And this was weeks later. He said, Everyone keeps saying that the Sheriff's department called me and interviewed me. He said, no one has ever talked to me. You're the first person to ever called me. As a matter of fact, Jared disappeared October second, nineteen nine, and on September eleventh, two thousand, this arranger sent me a letter that said, even to this day that the Sheriff's Department keeps claiming they interviewed me, and to this day still no one has talked to me about your son's case.
Speaker 7: Incredible.
Speaker 8: So just a lot of frustrating things, I mean frustrating things to where you know. Again, that Thursday, during the search, I had a tracker come into my store and this tracker drew me a map and said, Alan, listen, I've tracked your son to this point right here. He said, nobody will listen to me. You need to call the sheriff and see if ill search said area. I did. I call him that night, it was a Thursday night, and asked them to search said area and they said they would let me know the next morning. When they called me back the next morning and said nope, we decided that that helicopter flew over that area. That was good enough for us. Well, three and a half years later when things were found, it was found in that exact area. Other frustrating things I've found out during the search too. I was sitting in the search and rescue trailer and two deputies were sitting next to me and they grabbed this bag and they're like, we've been searching for your son with what's in this bag? And they start passing him back and forth because they want to look at it, and they'd never unzipped the bag. They kept their clothing in the bag because of course they wouldn't. They didn't want to contamulate anything. And so I finally said, can I see that bag? And they're like, well sure, and I unzipped it and I reached in the bag and pulled the shorts out that they were looking for my son with, and I held them up. I said, you guys have been looking for my son with these shorts and they said yes, we've been waving this under the dog's nose, going hey, go find this person. I said, I really can't believe you've been doing this, because if you hold these shorts up, you'll realize they don't belong to a child. They were my shorts. And I said, no wonder, I said, every time I come up this mountain, a dog six his nose up my butt because they're looking for me. They're not looking for my child. And just took a lot of frustrating things.
Speaker 7: Now one of the most frustrating things is in the most room a couple thing for me here in another country. It is just not accustomed to these types of searches at all. Really, I mean there are some, but the prevalence of these dog searches and how many people have dogs and are willing to volunteer their time and their expertise tell us about just some of the extraordinary calls you had for volunteers from dog handlers and expertise.
Speaker 8: You know, we had people that lived in the canyon even that knew the trail quite well because they'd lived their all their life, and they tried to get up the trail and they were told no. And they ended up writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper on why this could happen and people not utilize the expertise that's put at their fingertips. I, like I said, had several phone calls from people about five years after Jared disappeared. I had a wonderful lady come up to me and she told me that again, her dogs were the best dogs in the state. They had found many people. Her and her husband had tried many, many different times, and they were told no, we don't need your help. If we need you, we'll call you. And just that type of thing happened over and over and over. As a matter of fact, there's a search and rescue team in a Rapahole County here called the rapa Hale Rescue Patrol. They tried to get up the trail and they were told no. That summer, about six months after Jared disappeared, Congress Montank Cradle got in touch with him and organized a search for Jared that summer. The night before we were to go on this search, the director of the search and rescue team got a phone call from the sheriff's department and told them, if you show up on the mountain, we'll have you arrested. They called me, the sheriff of the search and rescue team, and said we were just threatened that they were going to arrest us. And I asked them, what are you going to do, and they said, we're going to go anyway, and we're going to go up in our civilian clothes, and we're going to go up as a bird watching group, and we're going to search for your son. Anyway, there was a US congressman that I ran into on the trail that day. He even said the same thing, what's going on with the Sheriff's department. Somebody called me and told me, if I knew what was right for my career, I better not show up on that trail. So there were a lot of people that were willing to get involved, but at the same time they were turned away. And I was frustrated because again I asked one of the guys in the trailer that week Jared disappeared. I said, I don't understand why you're using three dogs when you could have had ten dogs up here. And his response to me was, well, three dogs are better than ten dogs. And I said back to him, are you serious? I said, let's both walk out of this trailer and let's ask all these people around here if they would rather have ten dogs or three dogs looking for them, and let's get their answer, and if any of them says three dogs, I'll shut up on I'll leave alone. I said. It was frustrating. We had a group of the local Indian tribe show up. They knew the mountain really well. Again, they were told if you step over this rope, and they had the actual parking lot roped off, if you step over the rope and try to make an effort to get on the trail, you'll be arrested. So it's just one of those things where's it was like, come on, guys, you know this little kid's missing. Who cares right now? Put as many people up on that mountain as you can. But it never happened.
Speaker 7: Just to be fair, I think that it's pretty well demonstrated in your book that the jurisdictional what's the what's the word? Did? The jurisdictional sort of conflicts that police get into what was in play here? And the other thing was, again you were questioning police, your family wanted to go on in the search when it was maybe they considered it a crime scene.
Speaker 2: Hello, it is Ryan. And I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on Chumpa casino dot com. I looked over the sitting next to me and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba casino coincidence. I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus at Chumbu Casino dot com and live the Chumba lat.
Speaker 4: Will burgstess every d void wherever hevery by lost ey terms conditions eating plus.
Speaker 2: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you at fist pumper, a woo, a handclap or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever. At Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Bill burgs nesses every dally void wherevery by loss ea terms conditions eating plus.
Speaker 7: They certainly didn't explain themselves well at all their attitude in response to your should have been we should have understood your response. Instead they countered with a seemingly insensitive response. It would seem though, that with all the efforts you cite, because we could spend an hour on that. In terms of the National Guard, a couple of people volunteered from the national Guard. Then you were told by the sheriff, no, that would cost six, you know, two to five thousand, and then publicly he said it would cost five or six thousand dollars a day. I think it's fairly demonstrated in your book that he had some problem with anybody coming in and commandeering his search or usurping him in terms of the investigation. So he had that ego, that's my investigation. I'm smart enough, my people are good enough, we can search, we can conclude we didn't find him, and that's.
Speaker 8: It, exactly exactly. It was almost I could it's my ball. I'm going to play my game, and if you don't like it, I'm taking my ball and going home. And that's the way they acted. And the funny thing, the strange thing about it was, you know, you would hope that you were getting one hundred percent cooperation in the works, and one of the things that happened to us was which was pretty sad. I think it was about two weeks after Jared disappeared. The Learning Channel was doing a documentary on Jared's case, and the sheriff didn't realize there there were two cameras there. There was a camera from Channel four News and the Learning Channel guy had a little bit of camera. Well, Chris Shawl was interviewing the sheriff, and when the interview was over, they turned the camera off. Well, the sheriff thought the camera was off, and the guy with the Learning Channel is still walking around, and the sheriff stands up and he says to Chris, are you as tired of this story as we are? And then this is like two weeks after my son's disappeared. He's just admitted and confessed on camera that he's tired of this story already. He had no idea that someone was filming him. And when that actual story aired on TV, I had several phone calls that night, a lot of frustrated people and them it was just hard thinking, you know, is that the problem is that way, The effort isn't there anymore because you guys are tired of the story so very confusing.
Speaker 7: It might just be what he senses as a personal failure. I know that that rings true with most of the detectives that are in homicide, that they taken into personal So if anyone tries to elude or intimate that they don't care enough, you know. So, I think maybe was an involvement of the the failure and then somebody attributing that failure to him and his department. Now with this as well, and again you really don't isn't demonstrated in the book that these media appearances did anything other than put this story of your son's your missing son, in the national spotlight. And we're talking about today, we're talking about Good Morning America in the beginning. So tell us about these appearances. You fell into this reluctantly, but tell us how you evolved in terms of dealing with the media and your overall experience with the media and what you thought it was its effect in this story.
Speaker 8: Well, again, when it came to the media, I didn't know where my son was. I didn't know what happened to him. I didn't know if he was out there, and I didn't know if he was alive or not.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 8: I actually enjoyed, in a way talking to the media because I always thought, in my mind, what if Jared is out there, What if somebody has him and Jared sees Daddy on TV saying I'm still looking for my son. And that was something that was big in my heart. I wanted anytime someone wanted to call me or wanted to talk to me, it was yes, it will, no doubt, I will talk to you, because again again, because I said, I wanted Jared to know I was looking for him, and I wanted everybody out there to see Jared's picture constantly. That way, if somebody had him somewhere, the Sheriff's department could receive a phone call and I'd find my son. So a lot of the people in the media became really good friends of mine. They would they would call me, I mean a year later and say, hey, you know, let's go back up the trail, let's talk. Let's uh, let's keep your son's picture out there. And so they started seeing it the same way I was seeing it. If Jared's out there, let's let's let's take advantage of this, let's post this picture again. So many many times, in many different situations, the media to me became my friend and they became someone that I could utilize to the point, like I said, where a lot of them became first name, very close friends, to where if something came up, they would call me and say, Alan, I know you're going to go down and this is going to happen today. Can I be there with you? I just want to be there with you. I won't have my camera and I just want to be there with you. And I was in several situations too where you know, someone would be interviewing me and the person behind the camera doing the filming has tears running down their face. So it was almost like they became my extended family and they were actually trying to help me achieve something I want to do. Achieve and I will find my son.
Speaker 7: You mentioned another important person in this story, and I think his name is Sue s the Aux. But he talks about the cat the Mountain Lion controversy and his investigation and his experience on the trail tell us about who I may be mispronounced as Sue explained, so.
Speaker 8: They call him Sue. He's a huge guy. He is a US ranger he's in the military. I believe he's still in the military. But Sue was a tracker and he worked for a tracking organization and he would take his skills that the government taught him to search for different things in other countries and he would try to find, you know, missing people here. Well, the thing about Sue was he originally went up the mountain and at one time he had thought he had found Jared's tracks, and he had thought that they intersected tracks of a mountain lion. So he was kind of confused. He wanted to go back up there and check it out again. Well again it hit the media a you know, tracker finds boys tracks and they intersect with the mountain lion, so the big the mountain lion theory comes out again. Well, the next day they brought in a Department of Wildlife expert, and this Department of Wildlife expert went and observed the same tracks, and they came with conclusion that the tracks that they thought were Jared's were actually the tracks of a bear and a mountain lion in the same area, but they weren't Jared's. But Sue was instrumental from the perspective that, like I said, even though he thought one thing. One day, he's the one who actually ended up. He showed up at my resort, came in and I was trying to avoid everyone. Again. He came up. He was buying some food, some drinks, and I was behind the counter, and Sue had said to me, he said, oh, man, I just got off the mountain went up there looking for a little boy. And I told him, I said, I really want to thank you. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping. And he looked at me and said, why do you need to thank me? And I said, well, because Jared's my son. And that's when Sue kind of broke down and shared everything with me. He took out a piece of paper, took out a pen, drew this trail, drew the trail perfectly the campsites, and put an X. He's right here. So Sue was really instrumental, I believe in the beginning. He actually, I think, really had a good idea where we could find Jared. But again, like I said, they refused to send anybody up in that area.
Speaker 7: Now I know it was you know, it seemed, at least by the book that it was too little too late when they did realize that the clothes that they were using for the scent were wrong. You provided clothing or your family provided clothing of Jared's. Was there any way of going back over the same area did they contemplate that? Did they do that? Or they did just move to another area with the new clothes that you provided with the scent of Jared.
Speaker 8: Well, I think by the time they had received that it was I'm going to guess, four or five days already into the search. So again, the scent in itself, with the wind blowing up there in different weather conditions, you know, a little bit of snow coming down on the works, the scent they were having a hard time picking up a cent. Later on, Every once in a while they said that the dog would pick it up in a certain area that it would disappear. So the longer they went without using the proper scent, the harder it was for the dogs to pick up the Jared scent.
Speaker 7: Now, with that being said, tell us what they do find in terms of what they do conclude. What does the shriff conclude publicly or privately off the record or otherwise, were you in the loop? Tell us about the entire thing of what he concludes happened on that mountain and what he excludes as a possibility.
Speaker 8: Well, originally, again, like I said, people were, you know, throwing the mountain lion theory around, but it wasn't bought by and of course again it was just a theory. It was you know, months after jaredy disappeared and I called the sheriff and we were talking on the phone and I actually said to him, you know, Amanda, man, what do you think happened to my son? He said, I really believe your son fell in the river right there, because the river was running by the trail. He said, I believe he fell in the river. The river is very, very cold, and it's going to take at least five years for his body to come back up. That's his actual theory that he told me. He didn't believe anything about a mountainline. He thought Jared actually drowned the river.
Speaker 7: Could you talk about in the book that the possibility of a three year old with the temperatures that would happen overnight, what was really in terms of that calculation? How many nights could he have survived on his own in that kind of weather?
Speaker 8: Wow? You know to me and thinking about that a lot of I just that very first night, I just remember when when the sun went down and it started to get cold, and I sat outside and I was up all night long just waiting for the sun to come back up. And I can remember the sun coming back up the next day, and I was just praying God, you know, warm warm the air up again, just in case Jarry's out there, you know, warm it up, make sure he's taken care of him. And again I really believed they would find him the very next day too. But after several nights had gone by, the weather being cold, I didn't think that Jared could survive the weather. But at the same time, one of the searchers that very first moment I met him, said to me, if he's up here, we'll find him. So as time went by, even though the weather was cold and they were having a hard time finding anything, I started thinking the opposite. He said, if he's up here, we'll find him. Well, then maybe the reason they're not finding him is because he's not up there. So again the weather was getting bad, but at the same time, my mind was already going in a different direction.
Speaker 7: You talked about Congressman Tan Credo putting out press releases and advocating on your behalf. Let's also talk about the scenarios official five scenarios quickly. What could have possibly happened, as you outlined in the book at that time, what was the five possible scenarios?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, there was a scenario where it could have been an animal. He could have drowned, could have fallen and gotten hurt. He could have been taken off the mountain. And there's one morning I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but those are the four big ones. And he had just been lost out there. So again, again, like I said, people would ask me constantly, what do you believe leave a mountain lyon took him? Do you believe he was kidnapped? Do you believe he's in the river? Do you believe he's just dead out there? And to me, it's like, you know what, as long as there's nothing to support any theory, I believe them all. Anything could have happened to him. So I put the scenarios in the book to explain more or less what I was being told constantly. Hare I'm a father sitting here and all this stuff was being thrown at me daily and I was trying to digest at all. So I put the scenarios in the book so the reader could read each one and say, you know what, here's what I had to go through. What do you think happened?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the one scenario you had was that he just had knocked himself out.
Speaker 8: Right fall and knocked himself out.
Speaker 7: And yeah, now you tried to get the FBI involved, and they said no, there was no foul play, so they didn't want to get involved. And you were reaching out to people and again in this time of anguish, but also trying to do something constructive again with this energy. And then there was an announcement that abduction was ruled out. So tell us what your reaction is, what did you do and what were the actual statements, and tell us about this.
Speaker 8: Well. I was told abduction was ruled out because it's not that likely that it was going to happen. As a matter of fact, I tried to get with the FBI, and the FBI actually told me, you know what, there's no evidence of abduction. There has to be something there that we could look into that says, yeah, you know, we see this and the works, and I argued with him back and forth constantly. I asked him, I said, Okay, if you're at my house and my child is in my backyard and a guy jumps the fence, grabs my child, jumps back over the fence and runs, where's the evidence. I said, there is no evidence. He's just gone. And for you to claim that just because there's no evidence he wasn't abducted, it was very confusing. So I tried to constddenly pushed that. I talked to several people and I just let him know, you know, there's there's something that's strange here. I mean, with the fact that there was a scream and someone could have come down from from the other side of the trail, that should that should indicate something. I mean, people were actually when when cars would would pull under our resort, sheriff deputies are actually going into these trucks and cars, and they were they were actually looking for Jared because at one time someone had offered a ten thousand dollars reward, and I was told that they told this guy to take the reward off the table because if somebody had kidnapped Jared, they could kill him, take his body put him back up there and then yell and scream we found him, just to get the reward. But there were a lot of things that that they looked at in that direction. But at the same time when they rolled it out, I just really wasn't sure, you know what evidence they had to rule something out. Is really confused over that.
Speaker 7: Now you've got some initiatives done, Amber Alert. There's some things with the governor and some amazing things that you did with your twin brother Arlen in terms of some just incredible, beyond coincidence things that happened, and you bump into the right people and you get back into the governor's office and you get your instrumental and making some changes. So all the media attention and all the things and the interviews that you did, your whole family did to try to make some kind of positive change worked. Tell us about the initiatives that were done before we get into before we talk about the discovery of the clothing.
Speaker 8: Sure, you know it was one of those things. Again, I wanted to keep jared legacy alive. I wanted people to always remember him, and we tried to change laws throughout the state of Colorado. We tried to implement maybe a tracker card, so if a tracker showed up, they could go on the trail flash of the card they'd let on, they'd be let on the trail and they can help with the search. We testified to have the Amber Alert law put here in Colorado, and it was kind of nice because at the time, of course, we didn't have it, and I just thought that was important because what if Jared were abducted, you know, could something have been done, could an announcement have been out there where they could have been looking for him a lot sooner. And so we pushed for the Amber Alert and actually got a chance to set with them. Governor Owens on April first, two thousand and eight to sign the actual Amber Alert law into law here in Colorado. Representative Sarah Galardi here in the state of Colorado also pushed through a proclamation called Recreational Safety Awareness Week to honor all the search and rescue teams here in Colorado in Jared's name, promote recreational safety throughout Colorado. So we helped push that through and we've done a lot of things here in Colorado till like I said, honor those who those people who helped us and at the same time tried to bring safety and understanding to everyone that uses the womerness here in Colorado. And like you said, too, we have the opportunity to speak to to get to know Governor Owens quite well. And then all of a sudden, Governor Owens is gone, and then the next governor comes in, and I'm thinking, okay, gosh, you know, I no longer have a connection, you know, here at the capitol here in Colorado. And we'll find out that where I'm from Central California, our actual lieutenant governor, her sister, well, the lieutenant governor was born in the same place I'm raised in And so all of a sudden we have this connection. Just out of the blue. This lady says, my sister is the lieutenant governor and he'd like to talk to her let me know. And before I knew it, I was back into the Governor's office. I'm working to do one of the things actually film the commercial with the governor talking about treill safety and stuff. So it was quite interesting.
Speaker 7: Now let's talk about the very important call about the clothing. Tell us about this. I thought this was one of the most profound moments in this book, Please tell us about it.
Speaker 8: Well, there were several times in the years, throughout the years that somebody would would find something on the mountain and they would call the Sheriff's department and the clothing the article was held on to and take them to the Sheriff's department and they would call me and I had I'd have to verify. No, that doesn't blow to Jared, you know. Sorry. But one day I was out, I was just shopping with a friend of mine and I got a phone call. And the phone call was from the sheriff and he said, Alan, He said, I'm we think we found Jared's clothing. And I just about passed out right then I'm like, wow, it's been over three and a half years. You think you found my son's clothing. And he said, I need you to come to four Collins to look at the clothing and verify its Jared's. Well, I asked him, I said, do you have pictures of the clothing, and he said yes. I said, can you email them to me. Let me run home and look at the pictures and I will tell you if they belonged to Jared. So I got home, I raised home, got my computer on opened up this email and a picture of this little jacket shows up, and my body starts to shake me because it's my son's jacket. And then another picture starts to show up, and it's my it's my son's my son's shoes. Then another one it's my son's pants, and I'm like, oh my god, those are my son's clothing. And it was really, really, really difficult to look at those pictures and know that they actually found something that belonged to Jared. And at the time, I took the email and I emailed those pictures to my family, to my brother, to my father and stuff. And my father calls me within minutes after I sent him then email, and he said, don't you think that's strange? And I said, what's strange?
Speaker 7: Dad?
Speaker 8: He said, don't you think Jared's pants are strange? And I said, I don't know what you're talking about that He said, look at him. His pants are inside out. So I went back to the pictures and I started looking at the pictures and I'm like, oh, my gosh, his pants are inside out. They looked like somebody had pulled them off of them and thrown them up there on the mountain. Now, when you look at the picture of his pants, of course one of the legs is missing and their sweat pants are. And the reason why the the lake was missing was when you get up on the on the mountain side, right there, that blue blure material was all over the mountain side. And the reason why it was all over the place there were birds and rodents and different little animals pulling the blure off the pants and they were using it as nesting. So when you see that one lake missing, originally, oh my gosh, why is it lake missing? But after you know a year or so, you know I mean different that I said, different animals were using Jared's clothing to make their nest. But it was really heartbreaking to find out that not only did we find his clothes, but again all of a sudden that big question whire his pants inside out? And it was a question that haunted me so much that I did contact several people. I contacted several mountain lion experts and they all reassured me that mountain lions do not attack people and take their pants off and leave them inside out on the mountain. Something else happened there. So again it was just very disheartening when that happened.
Speaker 7: Yes, and before we get into the police response and now their new conclusion, I would I would imagine and you're now newer conclusion at least that you talked to your daughter. And we haven't spoken much about your daughter, but your daughter was in San Diego at this time visiting her mother, Angie, and you felt it important to call her and tell her what was happening and this, And also we didn't talk about Jocelyn too much, but how was it did she could cope with this? And how did she cope with this? And who were some of the people that helped her be able to handle this while you were off and doing what you had to do and focusing on some of the things that you had to do.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, it was one of those things that I always said. I always said that I don't know what's going through her mind. I don't know how she's handling it. It was she, Jared and Jocelyn and I were all very close and they were already clinging. They liked to hold in my hand. No matter where we went, we held hands, and so after Jared disappeared, Jocelyn continued to do that. So I didn't know if that was just her normal behavior or was she being frustrated. The thing is that she just she knew there was something different, But I don't really know if she really understood, you know, what had happened, because I know when she first went back to school, a lot of her friends were coming up and hugging her and telling her that, you know, they were sorry and all that. And to her, Jocelyn always believed Jared was alive out there and always believed he would walk in the door in one of these days. So I think with that little that hope and that innocence, she never took herself to the worst case scenario. I mean, she believed wholeheartedly that we would find Jared up till about a year and a half ago, and she just turned twenty two, so you know, from she was six until twenty one, she honestly believed that my brother's alive, dad, And you know, you, whatever it takes, you keep looking for him because I want to see him again.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So when you told him that told her that they'd found the clothes, she thought, she's, well, then that means he's okay, right, daddy, exactly.
Speaker 8: You know, when I had told her I called her and I said, Johnson, I have to tell you that. I said, they found Jared's clothes. And her response, like you said, she said a couple of things. She said, well, that means he's okay then, right, daddy, And I'm like, well, yeah, I guess he's okay. And she said she also said to me, well, Daddy, if he's if he's not here with this, and if he's if he's with God, then we'll see him again. So he's okay. And she had that. She had a really nice positive response that made me feel good because she was trying to make me feel better, like, Daddy, it's okay. You're going to see Jerry again one of these days anyway. So don't worry about it.
Speaker 7: Before we get into the media response of this news, because you have to again another press release, a round of press releases after this evidence, after this confirmation. What is the police conclusion again, the official or otherwise, and what is your new idea about what happened? As horrifying as it might be to contemplate.
Speaker 8: Well, the conclusion was again, oh you know, it had to be a mountain lion attack. And to me, it's like, I don't know if people were looking for reasons to validate the mountain lion theory. But I was always looking for reasons to tell people it wasn't a mountain lion because I had a hard time believing that. Number one again, so that was pushed out to the media constantly. A matter of fact, you can go to different websites right now and they talk about the mountain lion constantly. But in my heart, it was like, okay, wait a second. Number one, his pants again, we're inside out. Number two, when they found his clothing, they sent his clothing to the CBI and they tested his clothing for blood and for mountain lion hares. No mountain lion hairs were found, and no blood was found on Jared's clothing. So in my thought process, it's like, Okay, wait a second. You know, a mountain lion would have created a lot of blood. Number One, again, they a mountain lion will attack the stomach area, the stomach region and ripped something apart and try to consume it with Jared had a jacket on and the front of that jacket has not been ripped or torn. And again I was told that jacket would have been ripped to pieces. And it would have been stained. So I continuously looked for other things, you know, I wanted to I wanted to believe my son was still alive. And again too the doctor Baden out of New York, who's just a famous doctor, we talked on the phone and he told me, he said, Alan, he said, if you look at Jared's shoes and you look at his clothing, I promise you, and I guarantee you out of all the years of my experience, that stuff's been thrown back up on the mountain on a later date, just to throw you off the trail. Do not let anybody talk you into a mountain lion theory because it didn't happen. So again, it was just that that battle going back and forth, you know, one side saying this is what it is, and me trying to talk to people saying, but there's evidence that it didn't happen.
Speaker 7: And I just spoke about the doctors, so you've we might as well talk about that. Then of course, then what is it also your theory? And what is his theory? After that conclusion comes to him this more information that somebody put the clothes up there after the fact, that throw you off the trail. What can you conclude from this? Only again, we know it's not a mountain lion. But what is right?
Speaker 8: What I what I was told was it looked like somebody had taken Jared just right out, you know. It was someone took him off the mountain and they kept him. And they been following the media too, and they've been hearing all this stuff, and so they, like I said, they threw that, threw the clothing back up there to throw anybody off the trail. But doctor Baden wasn't a mountain lion. And he even told me at the time when they first originally found Jared's clothing, that's all they found. Now, he said, I can't promise you he's not alive, because if somebody took him, they could have killed him somewhere else, or they could have killed him and maybe put something else back up on the mountain, he said, but I will promise you that's the clothing hasn't been up there for three and a half years. And he actually came out and said, you're gonna they had, Like I said, all they found was clothing, And a week later they were they'd searched the mountain for the week trying to find anything else besides the clothing. And a week after they had found the clothing, I myself went up the trail to help them search for, you know, anything else they could find. But doctor Baden in the media would he kept saying, I'm not sure why they're not finding anything. If the boy is up there, they're going to find at least a tooth. And he kept saying that over and over and over. So which leaves up to the next part of the story.
Speaker 7: So yeah, well, okay, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And instead a week later we I'm not gonna go into what happened to me at the bottom of the mountain when I was trying to get up the mountain. It was really frustrating again, but I will say that once I did go up the trail that next weekend, and when we were going up the trail, I was finally got to the top of the mounta when they found Jared's cloning was almost like five hundred feet and almost at a It was a pretty good incline going up the cliff right there. And as soon as I got there, over the radio they said, hey, is mister added Darrow here yet? And somebody says, yeah, I just got here. Oh good, can you let him know we found a tooth. And like I said, they've been arguing back and forth in the media and the sheriff and doctor Baiden. You'd find a tooth and one person would say, you know, the doctor would say you'd find a tooth. The sheriff would say, no, you want, We're not gonna find anything. And mysteriously this tooth shows up along later on along with the top skull cap of a cranium and they find that, well, a tooth. The interesting thing about the tooth is the tooth looked to be too big to be to belong to a three and a half year old, and so that in itself was kind of strange. And so we had a DNA test done on both the tooth and the cranium, and the original DNA test came back. It wasn't conclusive that it was Jared' where they couldn't roll it out. But the weird thing was when the tooth came back. I wasn't told this until I sent the evidence. They gave me a report of what they call electoral pharograms that are created during a DNA test. I sent this report to an expert in Ohio. He gets back with me and says, did you know that the DNA performed on the tooth? It was contaminated And I'm like, what do you mean it's contaminated? He said, well, the DNA belonged that the DNA. There are two people's DNA in this tooth. He said, I don't know how this happens, because we as experts never do anything. We would never let anything get contaminated. So with that in mind, again, like I said, the tooth looked to be too big to be to belong to a three and a half year old child. So with that in mind, it created more questions. Why was this tooth, what was the DNA examinated? Why was it totally destroyed? How come I can't have part of it to since somewhere else again? And then through that entire mess, somebody else gets involved. You know a guy by a guy by the name of John Cameron, who is a retired cold case investigator, and he came up with a theory that he believed that Jared's body someone kidnaps Jared and his body was literally with another person that he had kidnapped, and both bodies that they were, they were deceased, and so when he went to place the cranium back up on the on the mountain to throw people off, he grabbed a tooth and grabbed the wrong tooth. And the reason why he was contaminating with two different DNAs was because both these diseased bodies were laying side by side. And therefore now this tooth is contaminated. And that's because the wrong toothless will back up on the trail.
Speaker 7: Yes, incredible, I mean, it's amazing. John Cameron was on the program with his I guess you can only say a fantastic book in terms of the claims in an incredible book. John Cameron with it's me so weaving himself into this story as well, just incredible, amazing. Now what it sounds like too when just to me, and again I'm not a criminal profiler, but what was the theory as to why this Scott free criminal went to the degree they did to plant these clothes back up? Was there any any exploration of why this person in terms of motivation, would want to bring the clothes back up to the trail after all those all that time, What would be the purpose of that other than the psycho path, you know, just a psychopathic serial killer kind of trait. Well, the information I was given was he liked a person that would do this is a person that liked to more or less mess with families, more or less show families that you know, he's smarter than than they are, and he can do these things and you know, kill these people. And and he had he had a strange motivation.
Speaker 8: I was told that this that this killer may have, uh not liked people who believed in God. And he knew that you had a cross up there on that at your at your resort, and so you know, he was just at that at the right place, at the right time and saw Jared and took him. He liked to just kind of make fun of people. He wanted to hide things for years and then throw things back out there just to show that, hey, guess what, I'm still here. So it was more of a way that this person would kind of had an antagonistic behavior to where he knew he could get away with things, and at the same time, he would wait till when you least expected it to throw another clue out there. But he was also he was always trying to show that I don't know. There was just a strange behavior where he wanted people to know he was in charge. And that's you know what some people believe about, you know, a killer that may have put Jared back up There.
Speaker 7: Does add some validity to what Cameron suggests and I believes in terms of the because this is one thing that we didn't go into in this book is I know you were involved with Christian Fellowship, but you do talk about this book, and many true crime books would be hesitant or publishers would be hesitant in having this much. You have a chapter called Divine Intervention. But it does make sense in terms of your faith and how your faith how you can reconcile this an incredible tragic event. So it's a testament that your faith has done something for you spiritually, helping you through this and to continue on and I can't even imagine. So tell us about that faith. Tell us how initially you reconcile this, because you know you hear the story of well, you know, God works in mysterious ways. There must be some purpose. Really, how did how we were able to reconcile this? And what did your faith do and how did you get to that?
Speaker 8: You know I was. I never believed that, Okay, God, you know there's a there's a reason for this, and you know the reason and a lot of works. I just always believed that God knew what happened, and if he wanted me to know what happened, he'd let me know. And the reason right now that that I haven't found that out is because maybe he feels like I can't handle handle the truth yet. But on the other side of the going too, I've come to the conclusion at peace because you know what, when you lose a child, it's hard to get up every day, and it's hard to walk again, and you need to be able to stand upon something that allows you to get up in and take another breath.
Speaker 7: So I do.
Speaker 8: In my life, God's worked in ways where he has given me that comfort to understand that I will see my son one of these days. And I have a part in my book where I talk about how literally and this literally happened to me where I had a whisper in my ears saying, now you know what it's like to lose the sun. And I'm like, oh my gosh, I don't want to be part of that. I lost a sun club but then I was told again, but now you also experience the joy of seeing your son again one of these days. And when that happened to me, I was okay. I was like, okay, you know what, I'm going to see my son again one of these days. I mean, my goodness, it's you know, time is gone by and it's been many years ago, and I think of Jared every single day. But at the same time, you know, I have my daughter, and I have my wife, and I have a wonderful life and I'm just thankful that God has giving me the courage and the drink to get up every day, and He's provided peace to me. And that peace is also peace knowing that my son is smiling at me still, and I know that.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I wanted to mention too that a real friend of the program True Murder facilitated this or really really helped turn me on to your fine book and this tragic case, and that is Keith Clark. And Keith Clark is involved in a story that has some parallels very I guess, for lack of better similar a missing person, a nine year old and so he has a blog and he would like people to visit it and it's called Missing Christophervigil dot com. It's Christopher and Vigil v I G I L. And he has a Facebook page as well, a Missing Christopher Vigil And so if people could go to that, he explains the story and his involvement and his call for people to get involved if they know anything at all. And it's an admirable mission. And he was good enough to introduce me to you and your incredible story. So I want to thank Keith Clark for that and tell people that they should go visit the blog and get the information. It's an incredible story and Keith has done a real good job in moving that story ahead and learning people to the story in the first place. I want to mention that I also wanted to before we wrap up. We've only got a couple of minutes. I wanted to talk about just the involvement of your brother Arlin, and he is a co writer of this book, so he's very important to this story. And after that we want to talk about how if people want to get involved or want to hear more about this, or want to purchase a book from Tate Publishing, how they can might be able to contact you personally or again for the book and wherever they might get all that information. So tell us a little bit about Arlind, your brother, his involvement, and then tell us about how people might get involved or contact to or find out more information about this incredible tale.
Speaker 8: Sure, the interesting thing about again, before I start that, I do want to thank Keith too, because Keith an excellent guy, and I appreciate everything he does. My brother, Arlin, what's nice about my brother? He's my twin brother, and so therefore, you know, it's kind of interesting because if anything happens to him, I feel like I feel it deeply, and I feel it more than I would feel it with anyone else. And he's the same with me. We have a connection that's just totally incredible. And so when I originally started writing the book, I wanted to write it to give to Joscelyn so that she could read and understand what happened for the rest of her life. And I also wanted to just document everything that that happened to me. My brother got involved because I would write things and I would send him to my brother and say, hey, you know, take a look at this. What do you think that I'm And he would get back with me and say yeah, I remember that and remember when this happened too, And so he had that insight of the person kind of like on the outside looking in at me, and where I had that insight where how it happened to me.
Speaker 7: So it was, it was.
Speaker 8: It was a nice collaboration where we could talk about things from a different direction. Plus he also interjected a lot of interesting stories in the book about different things that have happened at different places, like you said with Levine intervention and stuff like that. So just him being my twin brother was was a perfect person to sit down because we thought, alike, I could send something to him and he's like, well, yeah, you know, I was thinking the same thing. So it's just it's just been a great feeling and honor to do something with my brother and I just I'll always appreciate it. The book itself, if if you want to stay in contact with the easiest way is the name of the book is missing. When the sun sets, and it's a play on words. It's not s un it's s o n And it means my son me finally finding out what possibly may have happened to my son, and my son is starting to his life kind of set off on the horizon, and so it's missing when the sun sets, s O in. The best way again is to go to Facebook and search Missing when the sun Sets. You can email me there. There's a link also on the top to Tape Publishing where you can purchase the book. And I have several different email addresses, and one of them is Jared's father at yahoo dot com. And that's and Jared's name is spelled j A y d S. I mean j j a r y d, and so it's j A r y d s father, Jared's father at yahoo dot com. Or you can even email me at my name Alan at todero. It's all one word, a l l y n A t A d E r O at yaho dot com. But you can go to Facebook. That's the easiest way to contact me. You can email me through Facebook Missing when the sun Sets, and you can purchase the book there. And you can also follow what's going on if I find out anything new right now. For instance, I'm going back up the trail next Wednesday, and I'll be posting some pictures and talking about some things that may have happened on our new theories. It might be coming up, so you can follow the story on my Facebook page.
Speaker 7: I want to thank you very much, Alan for coming on and giving us this incredible interview and talking about this fantastic and amazing book about again an incredible event in your life that you've been able to chronicle and be able to share with this audience. So I want to thank you very much and the best of luck with this continuing ongoing search for your son Jared. To thank you very much.
Speaker 8: Appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Yep, you have a great night, you too, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Then go eight, good night, good night.