Speaker 1: Welcome, and we do hope you've been enjoying Halloween Week with Wikied and Griham. I, of course, am your master of Ceremonies, Jacko and I will be playing this role for the next four days. We've explored paranormal murders and most recently, the story of Mary Shelley, an English novelist and the author of Frankenstein, who has quite the tragic love.
Speaker 2: Story to tell.
Speaker 1: But now we have three stories to share with you.
Speaker 3: Tonight, three legends, and we want to play a little bit of a game with them. So we do hope that you're up for the challenge. But to play we must introduce Thosts. Here they are Ben and Nicole.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? How's it going?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: You got you got that? Ready? You got ready, ready, ready go. That was a robust chick.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was a really good one.
Speaker 2: That was like spot on, well done.
Speaker 4: Well done. Welcome to Wicked.
Speaker 2: And Grim Halloween Week. Yeah, we've got we've got some cool stuff that we've talked about. We've got some cool stuff we're talking about today. Halloween is only a few days away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on Sunday, right, it's on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So what day is today? Today's Thursday? Today is well today's when? Okay, but they're listening on Thursday when listening? Yes, yeah, okay, so yeah, that's what's close like.
Speaker 4: And people haven't even told us what the ship they're wearing for their Halloween costumes and stuff, like, let's get on this Halloween costumes.
Speaker 2: I don't have a Halloween costume. I just clued into that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, because.
Speaker 2: We're not going anywhere. We never thought of that.
Speaker 4: Last year. We just put our monkey onesies on. That was kind of fun. I was into that.
Speaker 2: We got to come up with something, we'll post something.
Speaker 4: I feel like us wearing the pumpkinheads is kind of a Halloween costume.
Speaker 3: Ish.
Speaker 2: We haven't even posted that on Instagram yet, so.
Speaker 4: I feel like you kind of already dressed up.
Speaker 1: Ish.
Speaker 4: My head was covered in pumpkin goop, and I think I feel like that was that was put in an effort in there, that that was that was an effort because that was actually quite a photo shoot.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 4: Though it was fun, but it was just like I had to keep taking my pumpkin head off because that was a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Have you guys, done those pumpkinhead photo shoots before? Literally, you just stuff your head in a pumpkin and you're gonna love the photos we got there.
Speaker 4: They're awesome, awesome.
Speaker 2: But we have more fun stuff happening right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited for this.
Speaker 2: We got a game.
Speaker 4: This is a cool idea.
Speaker 2: So what's gonna happen? I did some research on three urban legends. Okay, not one, not two, not four.
Speaker 4: But three?
Speaker 2: Three okay, okay, okay. Two of these three urban legends are true. One of them is false.
Speaker 4: Who are going to be bad at this? Now?
Speaker 2: It's may not be very hard for people who know their urban legends. I'm fairly easy ones, okay, okay, but we are going to talk about them, and it's up to you to figure out which are the real urban legends, which ones are actually true, and which one is the red herring, which one is false?
Speaker 4: And I'm assuming at some point, like on social media or something, you're going to tell us which ones are which or no, there has.
Speaker 2: To be well I'll put yeah, I'll post all the urban legends. But if you want to hear about it, you got to hear in this episode or look them up yourself.
Speaker 4: I guess, but yeah, but I think it's some Oh yeah, fine, Okay, Well.
Speaker 2: And what's the point of them listen to the episode if they just see on Instagram?
Speaker 4: Oh that's the real But I mean like a week later, but then who knows. Some people don't always like listen to right away.
Speaker 2: Right, just listen to the episode. You'll figure it out. Okay, yeah, okay, you're ready to hear them.
Speaker 4: I'm totally ready.
Speaker 2: Okay. So we're gonna start off. I gotta scroll all the way up here. We are going to start off with the strange story of Elmer McCurdy. Okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 4: I'm totally ready.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, first of all, imagine a carnival funhouse. All right, We're talking mirrors and ghosts and ghouls at like every turn. There's jump, scares and thrills all around you having a blast as you're walking through, and you come around the corner and you're face to face with a fake zombie strung up by a rope. Okay, now it's the same one you saw last year and the year before. There's mannekins and props all throughout the funhouse, and in fact, they were there the year before and the year before that too. The funhouse hasn't really changed much all over the years. In fact, it's pretty much always been the same. So you kind of laugh it off, and you know, same old, same old, And you walk past, and as you brush press past the prop, you knock it down on your way by, so you turn around to pick it up, and you find a piece is actually broken off. Uh, And inside the prop it's not paper mache or anything like that like you'd expect. Instead, you see tissue and bone. The mannequin is a real body there. Oh gosh, that's pretty much exactly what happened in the nineteen sixties. A body wound up in Long Beach, California, hanging from a rope in a funhouse. Thousands of visitors passed by the body over the years, thinking it was just another dummy hanging until film crew were filming a movie and someone accidentally knocked the prop down and it broke and they discovered the tissue inside, realizing it was a real human being.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's urban legend number one.
Speaker 4: Okay, but just wait, so the name that you said, yes, is that the name of the dummy person?
Speaker 2: That's supposedly the name of the person.
Speaker 4: Yes, sorry I should be calling them a dumb but like the person that was that was at diseased hanging there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently a man by the name of Elmer McCurdy. Okay, was strung up in a funhouse for years before people realized.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is a way to go. I mean, it's kind of cool, but just really kind of shitty too.
Speaker 2: So what are your thoughts on that one? Are you leaning towards real or fake here?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, Like I kind of feel like I want to hear the other two because I feel like that's fake. I feel like that wouldn't go on that long before someone realized that it was a real person.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I just can't imagine that it would be hanging there for like that, like an extended period of time before someone noticed.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're leaning towards fake, but you're not going to pull that trigger yet. Correct. Okay, let's move on to the second urban legend.
Speaker 4: Ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: This is the legend of the Green Man. It goes that the green Man wanders around Washington, Pennsylvania late at night and chases anyone who's caught out after dark. The Green Man apparently glows green as a result of being struck by lightning in an industrial incident. Holy shit, if you are close enough to get a look at him. He also just so happens to have no face, no thank you. So apparently, in nineteen twenties, when a man by the name of Raymond was eight years old, he was playing out side and was climbing a telephone pole when he was suddenly shocked with eleven thousand vaults of electricity and was sent flying to the ground in a blinding.
Speaker 4: Flash that would kill you.
Speaker 2: I think the high vaulted shock burnt Raymond's face and arms, leaving holes where his eyes and nose once were. Raymond would become the ghostly figure known as the Green Man who walks the streets at night.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he did die, but now he's.
Speaker 2: A ghost, so the legend goes.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just gonna say, like, I'm not okay with things chase chasing. Okay, Like I can watch zombie shows and.
Speaker 2: Stuff, but when they're walking, it's okay.
Speaker 4: Fine if they're just like zombies speed, But if those zombies are fucking running, what.
Speaker 2: Is that that think? That's like twenty eight days later. Yeah, like Dawn of the Dead.
Speaker 4: I just think I would honestly just give up instantly, Like there's just no way. Yeah, so this thing chasing, like I just can't deal with chasing. There's just yeah. But okay, oh man, now I have no idea.
Speaker 2: So only one of these stories is fake. So one of at least one of those has to be true.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, and I feel like they're both fake. I'm going to think all three of them.
Speaker 2: Are fake, aren't the probably?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, Okay, you're.
Speaker 2: Ready for the third?
Speaker 4: Yeah I am.
Speaker 2: You're stressing pretty hard.
Speaker 4: Oh actually, I'm stressing because I think I'm just like almost ninety nine percent sure I'm going to get this wrong.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's see if you can go and get the third one. Maybe might might help you out. We'll see. This is the legend of the blue Star tattoo. Okay, So imagine you know you're a child, you know, growing up as as a child, many of us can recall temporary.
Speaker 4: Tattoos, right, Oh, those are the shit.
Speaker 2: They were the shit, they are the sh I WoT They're fun, you know, toy essentially, I guess, is the best way to put it. But they're fun to put on your arm, your legs, and you know, occasionally your forehead depending on who you are me Namely, they wear off pretty quick, you know, a day or two and they're good. Right.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that shit stays on longer than a day or two.
Speaker 2: Well, if you scrub I guess anyways, Sorry, I'm off in a tangent here. Anyone who really wears these as a child, generally you feel cool, especially in today's age when increasing popularity and real tattoos, you kind of feel like, you know, you're just like mom or dad brandishing that new ink. So it may seem cool. But however, a scare came to many parents in the early two thousands when a harmless kid's temporary tattoo became much more to fear. It began with one family having their son come home from school one day waving a new tattoo to his mom as he came running into the kid. The boy, Jacob, explained that he was given the tattoo by a friend after school. Now, often the boy traded stickers and collectible cards with his friends, so this wasn't anything new.
Speaker 4: Makes sense, So.
Speaker 2: After helping her son put on the new tattoo on his hand. With a damp cloth, he proudly showcased the bright blue star as his face lit up with excitement. Soon, however, things took a bit of a turn. After Jacob's mum was hauling a basket of laundry upstairs to fold in the master bedroom. She walked past her seven year old son bedroom up on the second floor as well, and she caught a glimpse of him crawling out the second story window. She called out, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: I bet?
Speaker 2: He turned around said to his mum, Mum, I can fly, as he jumped from the window.
Speaker 4: No, he's seven seven. Holy shit.
Speaker 2: It was discovered later that the blue star tattoo was laid with LSD and it had been handed out to Jacob and several of his friends after school by a man dressed in black.
Speaker 4: Oh that is just terrible.
Speaker 2: Those are the three urban legends?
Speaker 4: Is that just that? Like? I need to know a little bit more about that last one.
Speaker 2: Those are the three urban legends?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, this is torture.
Speaker 2: So what do you got, ah? You have? Let me recap here the strange story of Elmer McCurdy, whose body was found several years after being strung up in a carnival funhouse. You have, sorry, I got to scroll here. The legend of the green Man, who is where's his name? Raymond, who was struck by eleven thousand volts of electricity and sent flying to the ground with holes where his eyes and nose should be, and is said to walk the streets of Pennsylvania at night chasing people. Or the Blue Star tattoo, which is said to be laced with LSD and affected many children once it was placed on their skin.
Speaker 4: That is quite the lineup, But I got my answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, what you got?
Speaker 4: So I think the number one?
Speaker 2: Well you think number okay? Sorry, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Sorry. I already like forget their names and shit, so I'm just numbering them one, two, and three.
Speaker 2: Is that Elmer McCurdy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna forget Elmer mccurty. Okay, let's just talk about Elmer McCurdy. Okay, I'm changing my mind, and I'm going to say that one is true.
Speaker 2: You're gonna say Elmer is true.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say Elmer is true.
Speaker 2: Do you want to go through these one by one? Then?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you think Elmer mccurty's story is true. Drum roll, Elmer mccurty story is in fact true. Let's uh, let's tell you a little bit more about Elmer mccurty.
Speaker 4: My gosh, okay, I didn't actually realize. Sorry, I'm so confused. I thought that you were just gonna hold us in the sense forever.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to tell you a little bit more shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah mccurty, this shit just got real good.
Speaker 2: Since you figured out it's true.
Speaker 4: Oh, I fail. No one gets to hear anything.
Speaker 2: So this is a strange afterlife of Almer mccurty. He was born New Year's Day in eighteen eighty to an unwed seventeen year old woman. He grew up in a as a troubled teen where he eventually discovered alcohol and everything went downhill from there.
Speaker 4: Oh shucks.
Speaker 2: Elmer was a plumber and drifted around the country in an alcoholic stupor. He did get a job once in a while as a plumber, but he just kind of lose it and drink and get another job and lose it and drink.
Speaker 4: To make a little bit of money to buy more booze kind of thing, and.
Speaker 2: He just repeat that process shocks. Now. In the early nineteen hundreds, he started trying his hand at train robbery and eventually bank robbery as well.
Speaker 4: Totally crap.
Speaker 2: He was a blundering buffoon at the best of times with both of them, and was never too successful. After one particular robbery, he made off with only forty six dollars, some whiskey and a watch. Elmer rode off in frustration, hold up in a barn, and drank his sorrows away.
Speaker 4: Can I just do like his tiny side out here? I've never heard of train robbery? Is that like where a train just like kind of going by and you just run and grab shit off it.
Speaker 2: You've never heard of a train robbery?
Speaker 4: No, what happened?
Speaker 2: Like a train's going down the tracks and you like hop on board the train and you gunpoint people off and go.
Speaker 4: Oh like you're hopping on there and robbing like civilians. Yeah, oh shit, No, I haven't heard of that.
Speaker 2: Well now you have. You need to watch some some Western films, clearly, Yeah, I need.
Speaker 4: To like broad in my horizons here apparently.
Speaker 2: Okay, so after his hold up in the barn drinking the whiskey, he was roaring drunk when a posse from the train found him and with a single bullet, ended his life. At the end of his life is clearly just the beginning of a story. His body was taken to a funeral home where he was never claimed by loved ones, so the undertaker filled him with strong dose of arsenic, which was used to at that time to preserve the body while waiting for people to pick him up, but no one ever did, so he decided to turn Elmer into a moneymaker to get his money back from the arsenic he spent in Elmer became an exhibit known as the Oklahoma Outlaw, where people would pay a nickel to get a glimpse at him. Five years later, however, a man showed up and claimed to be Almer's brother and took him away to bury him. However, the brother was actually the owner of the Great Patterson Traveling Carnival show and wanted to show the Outlaw's body off in his carnival as he heard of the success of his body being shown off by this undertaker, So his body was lugged around the countryside being displayed as the outlaw who wouldn't be taken alive. From there, it bounced from freak show to freak show to another, and back and forth. It was briefly used as a display in a movie theater for a movie in nineteen thirty three.
Speaker 4: Oh my God.
Speaker 2: But because the undertaker used so much arsenic, Elmer's body became the energizer bunny and just like kept going and going and going and didn't really decomp. So over the decades, various owners mistakenly came across the body and assuming he was a mannequin, and eventually he was strung up as a prop in a funhouse where he was there for a few few years and eventually discovered.
Speaker 4: I don't love that story, to be.
Speaker 2: Honest, that is a true story.
Speaker 4: Like I actually just feel so terrible for him, Like that's just quite the afterlife. Yeah, my word, I'm oh, are you good? I'm good. But like I I just have never imagined a story like that after someone has passed away.
Speaker 2: Well, you've imagined it now.
Speaker 4: I couldn't make that ship up.
Speaker 2: That's you can't make that shit up, clearly, because it's true.
Speaker 4: That's wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So you're down to two left, the Legend of the Green Man and the Legend of the Blue Star. Tattoo.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I'm going to choose the next one that I think is true, okay, and that one is the blue Star tattoo.
Speaker 2: So you think the blue Star tattoo is true?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's true.
Speaker 2: Drum roll. The blue Star tattoo is fake. It is a proven urban legend.
Speaker 4: Dang. That means that I like failed, you failed, I've failed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jacob never existed. I made up that name. It's very popular scenario for people to say that a child was a stamp with the blue Star tattoo after coming home from school and jump from a second story window of the home. But however, there have never been any proven cases of this.
Speaker 4: Well, because I actually wonder, oh man, maybe I should have thought about this, and I feel like an idiot, but that's okay. If a tattoo, if you put this tattoo on there, could it actually if it was laced with what did you say? LSD LSD, would it have been like would it be strong enough that it would actually affect a person or a child. I'm just wondering, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm not too sure. I don't know my hallucinogenics very well.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but I just wonder if that could even be a thing, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but the urban legend goes that the blue star tattoos were being used to get kids hooked on LSD and drugs. LSD isn't even an addictive drug, so it's right there, debunkable for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, as you were just talking, I had the realization that that means that number two is true yea, and that shit is terrified.
Speaker 2: There is one detail that is false about this story though, so it is slightly misleading. The Green Man does not glow.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's it's a bit helpful because the glowing is a bit creepy.
Speaker 2: That's the glowing is definitely creepy, although I can understand the perception of glowing because he does have no face and street lamps reflecting off his face as just a blank skin. I mean, we all know what overexposed faces look like, right so from pictures and stuff. So anyways, let's dive into the legend of the Green Man. So, despite his horrific injury, we already know what happened to Raymond Robertson when he was only eight years old. It's getting zapped by all that. Despite his horrific injuries, reports at the time noted that he was in good spirits and could still hear and talk. For the next sixty five years, he would sequester himself in his family home in Pennsylvania, making belts, wallets, and doormats, selling them to rate a small income.
Speaker 4: Wow, talk about like good for him.
Speaker 2: Right, this is going to break your heart.
Speaker 4: Oh great.
Speaker 2: He would only leave his home on walks he took in the dead of night to avoid scaring people with his appearance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, my heart's really broken. That's sad.
Speaker 2: It was from these walks in the middle of the night that the legend of the green Man started to develop, when high school kids would spot him from their car walking along State Route three point fifty one. It's likely that the name green Man came from how car lights would reflect off Robertson's flannel and face, passing through him and the passing him at the night. One resident remembers seeing him on the way back from town to the swimming hole. From the swimming hole sorry and said she was like completely scared because it just startled her. It was not something she would ever expect to see at mind, though some people were frightful and cruel to him. Others befriended him and they would bring him beers and cigarettes on his nightwalks.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One sixty year old man by the name of Pete have have lovick, I think. In nineteen ninety eight an interview, he stated that he would often meet at the diner, or people would often meet at the diner he worked at before heading out to try and spot the green man at night.
Speaker 4: Hmm. Okay, that's actually really sad.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 4: I feel like some of these like little stories and stuff that we're telling her a little bit like sad.
Speaker 2: Yeap. That story also goes by the name of Charlie no face, So if you want to look that all, so.
Speaker 4: Huh, but I'm sure you're going to put pictures on her instant stuff, right or is there photos of him out there? Yep? Okay, I'm actually intrigued to see.
Speaker 2: He's he's a real person, babe.
Speaker 4: And then well, yeah, I know, but then I was just more meaning like because he wouldn't leave his house and he could only kind of go out at night kind of thing, so maybe he didn't want his photo ever out or something, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there's photos of him. Well, I mean, I've seen photos I haven't paid attention whether they're real or not. I guess I'm pretty sure there's real photos.
Speaker 4: Out there of him, and then of this mannequin thing too. Oh boy.
Speaker 2: I did look for photos of his decomposed body, but there are photos of his deceased body in a casket where he looks very much alive.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: Interesting preserve that?
Speaker 4: Well, wow, look at that.
Speaker 2: So you played the game. Unfortunately you lost. I wonder how you guys out there did did you lose? Did you know them all?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Let us know.
Speaker 2: I want to know how you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's kind of interesting because I was just looking in our other loft across from this one, and Kiwi is walking towards me with like his green glowing eyes. But I'm like, okay, we gotta go.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, on that note, thank you guys for being here. Check the description of the podcast for all of our social media is including Patreon, Instagram, Facebook, and our website. We appreciate you all, totally do and of course, then make sure you guys stay wicked