Speaker 1: Welcome Friends, its podcast podcasting time show Jack Again, Bryan, they're talking down mom back.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode two ninety nine, brought to you by Mister Boyd Productions. I'm Zaki Hassan. I'm here with Brian O.
Speaker 3: Hey. How's it going, Zachi?
Speaker 2: Hey, We're back after our what feels like a summer break kind of.
Speaker 3: I know, I mean, we still had stuff dropping, but a couple of those things we had had banked and so I actually I was telling Federica last night, like it feels weird like we've had you and I think almost like two weeks I think since we last recorded.
Speaker 2: Two weeks of not talking to each other at all.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, and we've both been traveling. We've all seen this great country of ours.
Speaker 2: It's true, which has been nice. How was it? How was your trip? It was good? Yeah. I went to Chicago, as as I tend to do during the summer. I do, I do. I've come to anticipate that as sort of my my end of summer getaway. So this year it was kind of a question mark whether I'd be able to make it because because there was baby coming. But I was able to move some things around. And it was me and my second kid. We we had a lot of fun. It was it was just the tourist, which is nice. You know, that's cool. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Bond bonding trip hopefully.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Bond, yeah, we went to the Museum of Science and Industry in in Chicago and uh, they have a Science of double oh seven exhibit there.
Speaker 3: What did I get into?
Speaker 2: Like the gadgets and uh yeah, so they got they got the props and you know that you've got the actual Golden gun wielded by by by Christopher Lee on display. You have the jet pack worn by by Sean Connery. Uh. Plus oh so many cars. You have the the the you know from Living Daylights and uh, the Spy who Loved Me and Die Another Day, Casino Roy et cetera, et cetera. See all the cars there. For me, it was a lot of fun. And and the nice thing is my son and I had gone through the majority of the Bond movies just last year, so they were within his frame of reference, which is just extra nice.
Speaker 3: Man, that's perfect. Wow, that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There was you know this other thing that was super cool on Navy Peers. This exhibit called Flyover Okay, and it's kind of this. It's it's similar to I think at Disney they have something called Soaring, Yes, soaring over California exactly. So this is basically that, but but Chicago. And so you you you're you know, you're in a chair. You buckle up, and it's like a dome projection of like drone footage flying in and around Chicago.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's what was It? Was there a video beforehand starring Patrick Warburton, Not.
Speaker 2: But no, not Patrick Warburton. It was, but it was a video kind of saying how awesome Chicago is, which you don't need to tell me that you you already got my ticket.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's my kind of town.
Speaker 2: It indeed, it is a personatra yeah, and I'll tell you I have not done Soaring, but this it it's what it must be like to be Superman, right right, Yeah, you know, yep, I love it.
Speaker 3: I've only done the Disneyland one, but it's one of those things that everybody loves, you know, even though it's just getting in a chair and sitting in front of a big movie screen at like the you know, most fantastical theme park in the world. It's just that cool, you know, it's that transportive. And and also I know on the California one they spray sense into the room occasionally, so you'll go over an orange grove and you'll smell oranges.
Speaker 2: They do that similar. Yeah, And do you feel kind of wind in your face?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're at one point you kind of it goes above the skyline, so you're talking like above the Sears tower and you're looking straight down and then it drops and just I mean I'm not moving right but unconscious. I'm like, whoa, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: So that that was a I'm really glad I did that. And that was totally my son. Like we were we were running late, and I was like, all right, I don't think we're too He's like, let's just do it. I'm glad, glad we did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good mom, glad he said something too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it helps, honestly, because because otherwise, if I have the whole clown car with me, it's it's harder to fork out for some of the stuff. You know, we did like the this speedboat thing off off of Lake Michigan, which which was just bananas because we were just completely drenched by the end of it.
Speaker 3: He sent me a picture of before and after.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, I mean it was completely so a lot of fun. But it's I if I had everybody, i'd be like, Nope, not doing that, because I was you know, it was not cheap, but but a great time. Also, I want to mention, you know, one of our regular listeners, Adam Lance Hendrickson. You know, usually when I go to Chicago, I try to meet him. You know, we've grabbed breakfast last couple of weeks, last couple of times. This time we weren't able to make breakfast work. But I was like, hey, why don't we watch Alien Romulus?
Speaker 3: Oh cool?
Speaker 2: And Adam, God bless Adam. It was his tenth anniversary and He's like, I'm going to hang out with my wife in the evening, but in the afternoon, I'm going to hang out with you.
Speaker 3: Wow, dude, that's great.
Speaker 2: So I was really glad about that. So thank you, Thank you Adam for making the time for that. I really appreciated that. Yeah, I also wanted to mention that just because this is a thing that just happened to me. I just dropped my car off for service this morning, and the service advisor at Nissan is somebody I had as a student like seventeen years ago.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So he's like, mister Hassan, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And and it took me a second, but I recognize him, and you know, he's got like great temples now and stuff. And I'm like, wow, damn, you know. And and he said the nicest thing. He's like, you know, I've been on this whole journey in my life since then, and yours is one of the classes that stayed with me. And he said, I don't necessarily remember everything you taught me, but I remember how you taught it to me. Huh, like the the enthusiasm that I had being there and whatever. And I mean what else can I ask for? Right?
Speaker 3: That sounds like the highest compliment.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: That that was? That was It got my day off to a good start.
Speaker 3: I have to say, yeah, oh man, I love that. That's so cool.
Speaker 2: But what have you been up to? Enough about me? Who cares about me? Well?
Speaker 3: I you know, spoken about well on our Twisters commentary our mutual friend Shawn you Speak co hosts on the show. He and his family moved out of California into North Carolina, and so I the family, majority of the family flew out there, but there were two dogs to also.
Speaker 2: Get Shawn's family.
Speaker 3: By the way, Shawn's family said yeah, and so Sean and I. He rented a mini van and we loaded it up with things and the two dogs and we literally drove from LA to to North Carolina.
Speaker 2: So did you have like the Bill CONTI karate Kid opening music? We should have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, instead of I remember when his mom when they arrived in California, She's like, look at those palm trees, like that's I should have been, like, look at those lighthouses, you know. When we got out there. But it was incredible. I mean, obviously it was very bittersweet just having Sean move out there, but it's a trip I'll never forget, you know. It was just one of those things where you get to be in a car with your your best friend for like the entire day, literally seeing the country, being where are we over in Texas? Oh okay, you know, like just one of those things, and just getting to eat random places, letting the dogs out. We were saying, you know, these dogs got to see more of the country than some other people ever get to see in their lives, you know, pee on different grasses. So it was it was a really awesome, meaningful time that meant a lot to me. And man, I feel like I missed out. Yeah, you know, it's just one of those things, you know, if if it's gonna happen and you're gonna have a friend move so far away, it's just really special to get to spend that time then on that you know, had that journey be apart, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so for folks listening, maybe more more recent comers who may not realize, you know, Sean co hosted this show with us for the first you know, about about a year and a half or so of this of this podcast. But of course he's he's dipped back in ever since. But above and beyond that, I mean he and I know I can speak for you with this too. I mean, he has been a constant presence in our lives for the better part of a quarter century. Yeah, right, And and you know I've known him since high school. You known him since college, and there was that I've always had that sense that even as you know, when we lived in Chicago, he was you know, no more than fifteen minutes away. Right when I would I would go over to his parents' house so much that they would set a place for me at the dinner table. You know, I was like the Skippy if they were the Keatons.
Speaker 3: You know, we're gonna go down a worm or a rabbit hole of a reference explanation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look it up, kids. And then you know, when I moved to California, he followed shortly within a few months. Yeah, I moved to I was in the Bay Area. He moved to LA But you know, even though California's pretty big state and it's pretty far, it was like a forty five minute plane ride away, right right, And so there was a sense of like, well, Sean is right there, and and he's still right there. He's just a text message away. But there's something about knowing he's across the country now m hm. That definitely it hit me hard. But it's also I mean, this is this is life, right, he has change.
Speaker 3: There's there's many chapters in our books, and it's always kind of weird when a new chapter starts. Yeah, but then you you look back at some of the older chapters and they felt weird and different when they started, but then you're like, oh that's still A was a beautiful chapter. And I think it was nice for me being out there because it didn't feel far away. It was like, oh, well, I get to see where he is now, this is the town, this is you know whatever, it got to exist in that for a day, go to the beach with the whole family and everything, and it felt very accessible. And then I got on a plane and I flew back, and I was like, well that was easy, you know. So it's like I'll get on a plane again and fly back out there.
Speaker 2: So you did not have to ride a covered wagon Oregon Trail style.
Speaker 3: You know. There were many times when I was looking at this great nation of ours, it's landscape, and I was like, why did they keep going these crazy mountains? And I was like, wow, is I can't even fathom it? Yeah, what that would have been like the trail, But hey, we're.
Speaker 2: Grateful they did the work on our behalf right that.
Speaker 3: And also I have to say, literally taking a freeway from like one ocean to the other, I marveled at like the people that built these things that plotted out all our freeways and roads and everything across and like connected this huge country of ours, Like, it's remarkable. I mean, it's just to think that that road never stopped and it went all the way from one coast to the other. It really, we talked about it. We're like, that's incredible, these people that help this thing.
Speaker 2: I hope you kind of filmed a little bit of the business you encountered along the way, just sort of just attract that journey, you know. I feel like that would make a fun, you know, montage of some kind of cut together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely a little bit of film, a lot of pictures for sure. But yeah. Yeah, So then we've both both rolled back into town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very I have to admit I was very selfishly. I was like, hurry up and get back so I can talk about alien romulus.
Speaker 3: With you know what, Well I want to now I'm get right into that, but we will, we.
Speaker 2: Will get there. Well, what else have you seen?
Speaker 3: I saw it right before I left. I saw two things that I'll mention. One is I'd mentioned it before, but the show on Hulu, The Bear, which is uh, you know, it takes place in Chicago, speaking of and about a professional chef who inherits kind of a family business where they make Italian beef sandwiches, and then he turns it into like a real high end kind of restaurant. And the journey he keeps the crew the staff on from the beef restaurant, and it's sort of the journey of going from one type of restaurant to the other. And it's a very you know, it's sort of I've said it before, but I'm sure a lot of people said this. It's like uncut gems in a restaurant. It's very intense, very stressful. But the characters are really good. And I worked in restaurants for a while, and so I really like seeing that environment. And I had heard i'd love season one, love season And by the way, when when you and I first met, you were working in a restaurant, That's right.
Speaker 2: We literally was a while you were working in said restaurant.
Speaker 3: Yep, and you were at my table and we found out that we were going to be in the same film class in a week.
Speaker 2: Cut to twenty five years later, exactly twenty five years later, who thought.
Speaker 3: Here we are. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Here we are two hundred nine ninety nine episodes into a podcast.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, and just now like it's been off a little bit. Like I took Federica to my hometown for the first time this year, and that restaurant, Hula Hans. I mean, it was a real formative experience for me working there. It was like a second college experience, honestly. And I'm still close with a lot of those people that I worked with. And it's since gone out of business, but the building is still there.
Speaker 2: But it's like, isn't it something else now?
Speaker 3: It's just a husk. I mean, it's empty. And so Federica and I went up and the whole thing was my brother and I worked there for X amount of years and there was a booth that had these two name plaques on it of these two women, and nobody knew who they were. And we're like, oh, well, my brother and I like, well, we're leaving. We've been here for a while, and I guess it's like the hubers of being twenty years old or twenty one years old. We're like, let's take those down and put up our names as plaques. And so that's what we did, like our last we took drills out and drilled those plaques, put our names into the booth. And uh I had people who you know from that town, who I went to high school with and beyond, and they would text me through the years and be like, dude, your plaques are still there, Like they're still in the booth. And so sure enough this year when when Frederica and I went out there, we looked through the window. All the tables are gone, the place is almost completely empty, but those two plaques are still on the wall.
Speaker 2: Well damn all right, Yeah, we're gonna be there.
Speaker 3: Until the roof caves in.
Speaker 2: I guess that's that's kind of that's that's like, uh, it's you know those those documentaries on the Learning Channel or something like the World Without Us sort of the World after Us? Yes, right, right, like nothing nothing left but that yep.
Speaker 3: Or like when Bart writes his name in the concrete and they're like, who was this Bart? You know, like.
Speaker 2: But yes.
Speaker 3: Going back to the Bear, Season one great, Season two I really love there was an episode that focused on one character that I think might be one of my favorite episodes of TV ever. And season three I kind of put off. I don't know why. I just wanted to be in the right mood for it, and I had heard a lot of people saying, oh, this is where it's starting to go off the rails, like they had listened to their own hype and now it's becoming a little pretentious and they're you know, certain episodes will revolve around one idea and then just spin its wheels in that idea for thirty minutes and go art, you know, kind of a thing. And so I went into that like, oh, here we go. I'm not ready to not like this thing, but I liked it. So I can see what some people are saying. Just recently. I can't recall who, but I saw someone posting about the first episode, which is essentially a montage. The whole thirty plus minutes is a montage, and it's it's almost like a previously on in a way, but there's a lot of new footage and your understanding the main character a little bit more, seeing a little bit more of his past. It's very artistic. It's very out there. But it totally worked for me. And that said, there were other episodes, if you want to call them bottle episodes. I suppose that didn't work for me as well. And there was one I'll just say it's one where someone is giving birth and it becomes it's literally just two characters talking for the whole episode, and I quickly realized that's all that was going to happen, you know. I was like, Oh, she's gonna have a monologue, and then she's gonna have a monologue, and then the other person's gonna have a monologue.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, Like I just I don't know, maybe it was the wrong night, but I was not feeling it, and I was like, Okay, this is one of those that I'm just gonna have to let go. And I watched it. But but then they had another episode where they focused on one particular character and their journey, and oh magic just like a short film, a beautiful short film about just a person. So you know, looking at the arc of the season, did we get very far? Not really? Actually, not really. I mean, they sort of set up a goal at the beginning that I don't I mean, I watched it a week ago, but I don't think we got there. But I enjoy spending time in this place, and I find the characters very compelling, and I believe I read somewhere I don't quote me man this, but I believe that the creator wanted three seasons, but Kulu wanted four and they shot these back to back three and four, So I wonder if there's a little bit of a stretching that was happening. Oh interesting, and I know that happened with ted Lasso also, where they were like, Okay, we'll do you know, ten episodes, and then Apple's like, can you give us thirteen? And then there was like these three episodes that just did not flow with the others. So I don't know if that's the case, But my opinion, I still enjoyed this world, and I'm looking forward to season four, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know I haven't I have been meaning to. My wife loves it. She ended up rewatching the first two seasons and then going right into the third one. Wow, so she really likes it. But you know, what occurs to me as we're talking about this, and maybe maybe this doesn't apply specifically to the Bear, but just in general, I'm kind of like, can we bring back twenty episode seasons?
Speaker 3: You know, I would love I would like there for it not to be an aversion to it. If a show has twenty episodes, let it have twenty episodes. If a show has six episodes, let it have six episodes, I'd kind of like, and it seems that is the case, I guess, but I'd like for there to be no rules, like let the story be what it wants to be, right, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think you know when you talk about how there were certain episodes in the season that struck you as, oh, you know, this is they're trying to do some kind of a that gimmick. That's the wrong word, but something something different, something off the beaten paths, right, I'm like it would stick out less if there were more regular episodes. I could see that, yeah, sure, Like like I'll give an example. It's an imperfect analogy, but like with you know, on Paramount Plus, they have the Star Trek the Stranging Worlds show, right, which is something in the mold of the original series and next generation where it's kind of like your Planet of the Week show, right, right, right, except each season is ten episodes, as opposed to those shows at their peak where you were looking at you know, between twenty four and twenty six. And so what happens is like the most recent season you had one episode where it was a musical episode. So some weird space anomaly causes the crew members to start singing, right, that's fine, it's quirky, it's fun. And then they had one where it was like a crossover with the cartoon, the Lower Decks cartoon show. Right, right, totally fine, quirky, it's fun, it's different. But now it's like two quirky episodes out of eight out of ten, right, And so I'm like, well, I like having those, but I also don't like losing like the the serious ones.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe there's something to also something that's a little more serialized, like Lost, a show like Lost, where maybe that would have benefited from having more like sixteen episode seasons. But when it's something that's more story of the week or sitcomy or like The Simpsons or something like that, then yeah, it'd be fun to have more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like that's a good point though, that the ones that disappoint you would stand out.
Speaker 2: Less exactly, right, because it's like, oh, we got we got a whole bunch of these, you know, I don't know, I'm I'm I'm on this show. I've been stumping for the traditional network model of television, which, for as flawed as it was, It worked for a very long time before streaming showed up and to a lesser extent cable and I was like, no, we're gonna do it this way instead, right, and everyone followed suit, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, Well, who knows, maybe we'll be getting back to that at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of streaming, I watched one other thing that I would thought i'd bring up, which is a Disney movie. It was on Disney Plus. It's called Young Woman in the Sea and it's starring Daisy Ridley.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is the new Star Wars movie that she's Yeah, yes, it's called Star Wars Young Woman in the Sea.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it than Star Wars. Basically, well, the plot is is from IMDb says the story of competitive swimmer Gertrude Etterly, who in nineteen twenty six was the first woman to ever swim across the English Channel. And I saw this trailer in the theater and I was like, huh, it looks kind of old school, you know, it looks like sort of like a Wonderful World of Disney kind of movie. And I didn't think a lot about it. I was like, oh, it looks nice, you know, And then I saw it was getting these really amazing reviews and so much so that I almost went to go see it in the theater. I just wanted to. I just want to see something good. It's something good that felt I didn't know. The story felt a little old fashioned in a way that appealed to me. And then I missed it. So shows up on Disney Plus and I got to say, it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. And I mean that in the best way, Like it was very reminiscent of like older Disney sports films, you know, sort of like I mean like Wild Hearts Can't be Broken, like those kind of old school things, and somewhat like Remember the Titans, things like that. I say, Wild Hearts Can't be Broken because it it's execution felt a little simple at times, you know, taking place in the twenties, there's a lot of emphasis on like, you know, girls can't swim in a pool. They never have and they never will, and you need that obviously to like for the understand the world. But it gets to the point where it almost gets repeated so many times it starts to feel like walk hard or something, you know what I mean, like paroting those types of movies about like you know, girls have never crossed the sidewalk. They never have and they never will, you know, like and so so for that reason again, you need it. You need that to understand what she's working against because it's so different, well a lot different than the world we live in. But it can occasionally make the film feel like it's for a younger audience. So throwing that out there like it does feel But I mean, I think that's kind of nice. I mean, like how many family movies have come out recently that aren't like something sort of chaotic and goofy, like the Despicable Me movies or something like this is just like a cool tale, a true story. And by the end of it, I was like pumping my fist, like I was really rooting for her. You know, she has a lot that she's working against. You had people who are working against her. And then of course it's hard enough trying to swim the English channel. I mean, watch, I'm a competent swimmer, I'm not a great swimmer, and watching her swim against waves in the ocean for like twenty plus hours, you're like, huh, this is insane. And so yeah, they do a really good job of turning into something where you understand the goal, you understand what's against her at the finish line, and making it really compelling for her to get there. And yeah, I was I was like cheering when it was over. It's just like a solid, feel good family film and I thought it was worth recommend.
Speaker 2: It's on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: On Disney Plus, people are looking for that. I think they'll enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and d z Ridley she's great, Like she has this like sparkle or something, and I just I'm surprised we don't see her in more things. Like she's very you know, I don't know, she just exudes something. She's very captivating and she's I enjoyed her a lot in this and it made me think, like, wow, I'm just surprised we don't see more of her.
Speaker 2: Well hope hopefully. Well, first of all, it's smart Disney to kind of keep her in the fold.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely right.
Speaker 2: And and you know, I suspect that if this ray movie that they're working on performs, that that'll that'll kind of uh, you know, broaden broaden her her options, one presumes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, speaking of I mean, I'm rooting for that. I really want that movie to be awesome. But I think you saw that the acle like got canceled, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did see that, not not terribly surprised, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you finished it?
Speaker 2: I did finish it.
Speaker 3: It ended on a cliffhanger, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it ended, yes, and no, I mean it ended. Yes, it ended. Let me put this say, it ended at a place where they could very well have been like, and here's what happens next, But I think they also ended at a place where like, that's where this story ends, and something else could could pick up certain threads later.
Speaker 3: Well that's good. I was feeling kind of bummed. I was seeing obviously mixed reactions online because it's been mixed reaction kind of show. But I was feeling bad for the people that were invested if there was some story hanging there.
Speaker 2: I mean, ultimately, I am baffled by the idea that you would spend one hundred and eighty million dollars on a season of television.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, it's insanity, right, So at that point you say, well, you can't make something I was gonna say, that's this polarizing, and that's almost unfair to this show because it's really I don't think it is particularly polarizing, except that everything now involved in Star Wars has become polarizing. Right. But I would say, just as a matter of course, I just watching the show. I think it's well made, but I don't really see that money on screen, So I don't know. I don't know that you needed to do that, and I think you're better off doing showing you can do it for for less out of pocket, you know, But it's weird. I greeted the news with kind of like, all right, well, that's fine, Like it doesn't particularly affect me because I wasn't I wasn't blown away by the show. I thought it was fine, you know, but it has been aggravating seeing sort of the victory dance from people.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, right, or it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know again, it's just and this is a broken record at this point, like why does everything have to be a thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, for sure, I yeah, And I mean coming at it from where I work and stuff, I look at it as jobs, you know, in dreams, you know, when that was someone's dream and like I it's even if I don't like something, I'm still sad to see it come to an end because it doesn't have to be for me. But that's someone's dream, Those are people's jobs, and that sucks. At the same time, it exists, and it's it's another thing on the shelf, the Star Wars shelf, and it's always going to be there for people to pick up when they they want to.
Speaker 2: I definitely agree with that. And and you know the conversation. What what really aggravates me the most is sort of this this shorthand of oh, well they went woke and that's why they went broke, you know. And and this show in particular, I'm I'm just like, well, what's the quote unquote woke here? The fact that it has people of color in most of the primary roles, Like that's so because I'm like, well so what right? Right right? I'm like cool, right, Like so you know that there's this this narrow casting of like, uh, the mere presence of diversity is a call to arms, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with you. I mean I feel like if a story is being contorted, you know, like someone's trying to work with like one arm tied behind their back for some sort of agenda. And I don't even mean like a political or like a cultural or any agenda, but just a studio agenda. This is just like that's unfortunate when you can feel that. But it's like, yeah, when you're complaining just because human beings are cast in a show like that's not I don't know what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Well, I saw somebody like in in the show, you know, one of the Jedi that we see is a little bit heavier set, and it was like, oh, this is just like why are they having you know, Jedi are allowed to be fat now, and this is just you know, like yeah, oh be cause we have to accept all kinds of people or whatever. And just like this is truly the dumbest timeline we've wandered into, I know, I mean you know what I mean, Like I cause I'm I'm just looking at it like, well, if if you're a depth at the force, I don't think your body type matters that you're just good at the force, right, and and you know it's not like I mean, it's just different. I don't know, I don't know, Brian no.
Speaker 3: I well, you know, you know I'm on the same page as you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why are we doing this? You know, And we talked about this a little while ago, like, you know, Kiyati Monday, the show says he was born here, and previous Cannon said he was born here. And suddenly the you know, it's like the Jedi Arena in an episode two, it's all these Kiyati Monday fans coming out of the wood. We're like how, And I'm like, you people did not exist like a month ago, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I mean it's going to be difficult when they're trying to figure out their steps forward, you know, like it's been challenging figuring out what to do post the films, but also you just know people already have their knives out no matter what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Well well to that point, because you and I discussed the trailer for the Mandalorian film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't remember if that was on air or not.
Speaker 2: We texted about it, okay, yeah, yeah, But I mean, you know, they haven't released an official thing, but there's pictures and stuff that have sort of broken right, and just in terms of I mean not having seen the trailer, but just as a concept, right, We're like, well, what is this movie gonna play? Mm hmmm, I think that's the big question, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean if you were to put out a new I know people hate this, but I just for whatever, like a new Skywalker film, let's say it, like or Star Wars eight or whatever you want to call it, you can have a certain expectation of what, you know, how many people are going to show.
Speaker 2: Up for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this feels to me for the first time kind of uncharted territory. Well maybe Rogue one, but right, this feels a little different, and it'll will be an interesting experiment to see what the audience is like for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that what it has working in its favor is the fact that it has been so long now since the last movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure, right.
Speaker 2: Because because it's due out when is it due to actually next summer? I think right next next summer? Okay, So so yeah, we'd be looking at what six years since the last movie? Wow? Yeah, you know, so maybe that'll help, Maybe maybe that will help find an audience. Uh. In the meantime, real quick, just wanted to mention, h I have begun my umpteenth rewatch of the West Wing.
Speaker 3: Oh really okay?
Speaker 2: Uh, And I was I was moved to do this because of this new book that I've been well, I've been listening to it but via audiobook, but it's a book book also, uh. And it's called What's Next. And it's by Melissa Fitzgerald and Mary McCormick, who were both actors on The West Wing. And this is basically the definitive oral history of the series.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And for any fan of the show, which I suspect some of the people listening are are fans, it's just it's it's it is just a love letter to the show, and it really you know, some of the stories are known, some are less known, but just to really to get into the perspectives of the people involved. Again that you already know this, but but The West Wing is my favorite TV show of all time, and so every it ends up being like every presidential election year, I end up rewatching it, yep. And I love it every single time. And I love it for so many different reasons, but foremost among them being the way it presents public service as a as an inherent good. This is something worth doing, right. So we have so many cynical shows about politics, about our politics, whether the the doufest angle like Veep or the sinister angle like House of Cards, whatever, And here's the show that says, no, this is something that's possible. You can have decent people going into politics to genuinely help people. M h. And maybe that is sci.
Speaker 3: Fi, sure, or aspirational.
Speaker 2: Aspirational, absolutely, you know, but that's why I keep going back to that show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I've I've got to get to it. That And Sean was telling me about Friday Night Lights again.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're oh sure, sure, yeah, absolutely, and kind of similar vein, you know, sure pointing to our best selves, you know, like, I know, I know for sure, Well, Friday Night Lights, I know for sure you're gonna you're gonna adore that show. Sure, but I believe you'd. Hey, Frederica likes west Wing, Yeah, I know, I know. Between the two of us, I figured we can we can nudge you, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But but the audiobook is terrific, and I suspect that that the book book is is just as good. And I just wanted to throw out a recommendation for that nice that that other book I was telling you about last time. The future was now. Yes, that ended up being like my Chicago trip, listening for the whole and it was me and my son. We ended up listening to the whole book. Man, dude, you will, you will for sure love it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's crazy to think about how Summer of eighty two, just these these incredibly influential films were all crammed into this eight week period, just one on top of the other. Yeah, right, I mean, obviously E. T was at the top of the heat, but like Blade Runner and The Thing and Conan the Barbarians Star Trek two and Da Da Da d dau Tron you know, and every what. This is the point that the book makes. Every single one of those films except one, has been sequelized or remade or continued in some form in the forty two years since, right, right right, And obviously the only one that has not is well you tell me, Brian E T. E T.
Speaker 3: Because oh Spielberg is making another UFO movie. So fingers crossed fingers.
Speaker 2: But absolutely worth worth the worth the reader, worth the listen. However you consume your books, I know you'll, you'll, absolutely you'll just devour it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll definitely check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but hey, let's take short break and we'll come back with some listener letters. And we're back, and hey, we got some notes in the old mail bag.
Speaker 3: Brian, great, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's one we got from Adamo, who says, Hi, guys, it was so much fun to listen to the commentary on Twister, and then your review of Twisters, and hearing Sean gush about how much he loves the original movie. My son also a Sean and I took a long weekend road trip last summer to Wakita to the Twister Movie Museum, and even made a side quest a bit further east to Call Lake, where the Cow's scene was filmed. We're planning a trip back in twenty six for the thirtieth anniversary. They're already making plans for a big event in the museum. They have a graphic of the VP that Stormchasers did across the region in memorial to Bill Paxton. It was awesome to hear Sean mention it. I admit I got a lump in my throat with Twisters. I had such a great time. Glad you guys did too, Even though I hate Clen Powell. Geez dude, geez dude, save some good looks for the rest of us. I kind of agree with that. Actually. As for the other little art film that you covered recently, I can't believe you forgot to mention the real star of Deadpool and Wolverine, Peggy aka dog Pool stole the show and man Ryan Reynolds let her go all in with that tongue action.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hearing Zachie break down all the Wolverine variants that I knew when I saw the movie was so much fun. Only a true eighties nineties era comic geek would really appreciate all of those. That's right, So you can see yourself out. Brian having Wesley Snipes come back as spoiler alert Blade, He's now the longest tenured Marvel character in movies. I was actually thinking about that. As soon as he showed up. I was like, boom, got himself a Guinness record.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, he says.
Speaker 2: I saw the first the day before I went to basic training, which means I'm, uh, well, we don't need to talk about that. Best wishes is always adam. Uh Yeah, you know. I watched the first Blade opening night in the theater. I always picture those as two thousands movies. That was ninety eight first, and I can I can attest to the fact that nobody was taking that movie seriously from the trailers.
Speaker 3: I kind of remember that, like it wasn't something I felt like I had to go see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, And and in fact, even even the Marvel people were trying to distance themselves from it.
Speaker 3: Were you familiar with the comic or the character. I guess I was familiar.
Speaker 2: With the character. Yeah, I mean in an abstract sense. I mean, the movie largely reinvented him because he was such a blank slate MM like he was introduced. There was a comic book in the in the in the seventies called Tomb of Dracula, and it's about Dracula in the Marvel universe. And it's a terrific comic series. It's about this group of vampire hunters in the modern day who are trying to defeat Dracula, and it's you know, it's just it's like a drama series set within the Marvel universe. In fact, if you go into the Nostalgia Theater podcast archives, I interviewed Glenn Greenberg about Dracula in general, but we specifically got into that comic book because he was such a big fan of that book that he in the late nineties he got to write a Dracula mini series from Marvel that was kind of a sequel to that book.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: But regardless, Blade was introduced in that book as part of that ensemble. Okay, and we're talking mid seventies, so it's like Shaft as a vampire.
Speaker 3: Hunter, right right, right, sure, sure, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. He's a big afro. He had the leather jacket and steaks, you know, and so very bare framework there that they then took an entirely different direction in the film, and that's what became the definitive version. So the whole idea that he's a half man, half vampire all that the movie did. That Oh interesting, that wasn't the comic. The comics like ret conned that in after the movie, but the movie was. And that's what sort of if if we have, if you were to list like certain characteristics of Blade, that would be like one of the main things you say, right, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Got to check those out. Sometimes I still haven't seen them, so.
Speaker 2: Oh you've seen none of them. No, oh yeah, hey, well I suspect. I mean, come on, assuming the MCU Blade ever gets released, I feel like we'll probably comment arry our way through the first time.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's something I would enjoy right now, I think, so I agree. I have to mention by the way too. He referenced the Wikita Twister Museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, obviously Sean, being the Twister head that he is, I was like, we passed through Oklahoma and I was like, are we are we gonna check it out? And He's like, oh, already looked into it. It's like three hours off course. I was like, ah, I was really hoping we'd get to I'm scious, what's there? You know, I was hoping to glimpse it, But yeah, not writing it off sometime in the future.
Speaker 2: One of these days. Here's another note we got from Stephen Club, and this is in reference to our commentary track for Terminator Salvation. M I don't hear what this he says this is, and I fully agree with this sentiment. He says, sometimes backstory should remain backstory. He says, pretty much the entire movie. I wondered how the Terminators couldn't crush humanity like a bug. They were so overpowered in Salvation specifically, that humanity didn't stand a chance, no matter how good John Connor was at making pipe bombs. It's one thing to say humanity one. It's quite another to show them being outnumbered, outmatched, and outclassed.
Speaker 3: It's a great point, it right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean this kind of gets to what I've said in our track, where it's like the little snippets we got of the future war were more interesting than setting a movie, an entire movie within it.
Speaker 3: Mm hm, you know, yeah, I mean, it's just fascinating, mysterious backstory in the first film, this is the world that person comes from. That's why it matters. But now we are in nineteen eighty four and the mission must be completed. But yeah, when you really dig into it, you open up a whole can of worms of questions. And I'm not saying this there can't be a version that is good in the future, but if you don't do it well enough, then yes, you start to have those questions crop up.
Speaker 2: Well, it gets to just the inherent problem with prequel all the time, which is again, as you said, not to say you can't have a good prequel. But fundamentally, the question you have to lick is, well, if this was important enough to tell, it would have already been told the first time, Like everything everything you need should already be in the first movie. And by the way, you know, it's funny. I was having this conversation in a broad sense with my students, and I was like, like, what are what are I was like, I'm making a case. I was like, I don't think most prequels are necessary, and handshot up, well, what about the Star Wars prequels? And I said, well, I know y'all grew up with them. I'm just gonna go out on a lim and say they weren't necessary, right, right, right, and and the slack jawed you know responses I got, But I still feel that, right, I don't at this point their grandfathered in. I don't mind them. But fundamentally, I lived twenty two years. No, well, I personally did not. I lived twenty yours without any Star Wars prequels, but the world lived for twenty two years about Star Wars prequels yep. And and we did just fine. Right.
Speaker 3: I love that though. That's so interesting from people that they only know a world that exists with them. They're part of the story for them.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, how can you know Anakin turned bad if you don't see him turn bad? And it's like, well, we used to our imagination son, this magical thing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Here's another comment we got from Jeffrey Meisner, also in reference to our term in your Salvation commentary, he says, I think this was the funniest commentary track yet. I can't wait for Genesis and Dark Fate, which isn't something I thought i'd say.
Speaker 3: Again, that's funny, now, thank you.
Speaker 2: I had such a blast talking through that movie with you.
Speaker 3: Me too, Me too. It was fun, I'd said weeks ago. I just wanted to go back because I watched every Terminator sequel once dismissed it and moved on with my life. Yeah, but I kind of wanted to give them another shake when I wasn't judging them so harshly, you know, Opening Night, And it was really fun looking at the pluses and minuses and talking through them with you.
Speaker 2: So have you Have you watched Genesis and Dark Fate again?
Speaker 3: No, but I really do intend to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well hey, just just wait, wait a little while and you know we'll get to it for our commentary track.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like this has become kind of like a late summer thing.
Speaker 3: Now, our Terminator commentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like for the next couple summers at least. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just I remember little bits of them. That's the That's why I'm excited to go back. I'm excited to remember what the stories actually are and like the leaps they take, and I just remember. I feel like I can picture what's her name from Game of Thrones, Amelia Clark, Yeah, calling the terminator Pops or something. H that's a memory I have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember the movie.
Speaker 2: Uh well I will get there eventually.
Speaker 3: Ye who you interviewed? By the way, remember that I did.
Speaker 2: I think I think we put her interview on the show. If I'm not mistaken, fairly certain it seriously I've done. I've done plenty of long form interviews. I've done plenty of junkets. That interview with the Millia Clark probably, if not my favorite, in like my top three.
Speaker 3: Wow, she was so.
Speaker 2: Sweet and and I I just started out by saying, well, we had a conversation about the movie. It was it was me before you and and she was like, uh, you know, very gregarious about that film. And then I ended with, hey, I have a Game of Thrones question, and she's like okay, And I was like, I should preface this by saying I've never seen the show, and she was just did by that. You know, that's great, very very sweet. So I'll always have an affinity for her, even though I've still yet to see yet to see Game of Thrones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, i'd I'd be curious. I'd be curious how holds up.
Speaker 2: It's funny, you know when when we were in Chicago, you know, my my my son, his name is Mikyle, and he was he was telling his he was telling my cousin. He's like, oh, you know, if I'm around like like regular folks aka white people, uh, I just say call me Michael, right. And I was like, well, dude, come on, man, you got a unique names, go for it. And my my cousin I love that. He's like, hey, listen, man, if white people can say Denaris Targarian, they can say Mica.
Speaker 3: Bravo.
Speaker 2: It's like I ca'ah pretty much, you know, yeah, but hey, let's it's take another short break we got some headlines. All right, well we're we are back, and here's some good news for the I'm going to say the eight or ten people who are interested. But Horizon and American Saga Chapter one is now streaming on Max.
Speaker 3: There you go. This is it for everybody who was like, wow, wait you know, oh it should have been a series whatever, Well, there it is. I'm actually very curious to read a little more discourse about this movie.
Speaker 2: Now I've taken this on. This is like my charity right now is to help multi millionaire Kevin Costner have his little passion project.
Speaker 3: Succeed, right right.
Speaker 2: I'm still no date, by the way.
Speaker 3: For part two, but it is going to debut at a Fear festival, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but out of competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean it exists. It's mixed, it's you know what I mean, it's printed or downloaded onto some sort of DCP or something. You know what I mean. It exists. So I would love to see it. I really would. I mean, I you know, we were sort of we're both positive. You were more positive. I was like positive, and I'm ready for the next thing, so I can feel like I have a more complete sense of what the story is. Yeah, so I'm ready. Yeah, I hope people discover it here and then I hope the second one there's a demand for it, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean just just selfishly at this point, I want to be able to justify the three hours that I've put in thus far.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: That's really because because three hours. See this is not like the Acolyte, right, because the Acolyte ended and I'm like, all right, well that's the end, and that's why this I'm like, no, no, no, this is we're in the middle of the beginning.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, definitely, you know, I need.
Speaker 2: I need something. I need I need some closure of something.
Speaker 3: Arcs have begun, but there have not been any wrap ups or conclusions to anything.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, where it goes, So just just give us, just give us that. Come on, come on. It's like we're like that the s n L. You know where we're with Chris Farley is he's a good boy. Just let him finish his movie, Kevin Coss' movie. Let me finish come see part two and three. Let him finish it. Hey. Speaking of passion projects that are that are shrouded in controversy, here's something interesting. So Megalopolis, which I have trouble saying that title. It sounds like a made up name. Yes, but it is in fact Francis Coppola's next project, possibly his like filmmaking Swan Song.
Speaker 3: Possibly. I mean this has been a long time coming too. I mean this is yeah, like you said, Passion project, there's been years in the making his Vineyards, Yeah, to make this thing. That's how much he wanted.
Speaker 2: He's paid out of pocket to make this sci fi epic starring Adam Driver. So so this one is due out when Brian like in September, I think, okay, so it's it's coming up. So lions Gate, which is distributing it, had a little bit of a snaff foo earlier this week because they put out an ad now the Now The The The thinking behind the ad was, Hey, we're gonna I'm guessing they're looking at this movie and they're like, God, this thing is kind of kind of I'm guessing I've not any seen it. They're like, this is gonna be hard to market. That's the because it's esoteric and whatever. Just based on the trailer and and the reactions out of can or wherever it played. Ye so so they put out a trailer where they have quotes from famous critics who were dismissive of Coppola's previous masterpieces. And so you have, you know, Roger Ebert saying Bram Stoker's Dracula is no good, and you have Pauline Kle saying The Godfather's no good or whatever it was. And so that that gets put out there, and that's it, and then it turns out and this is done with a little bit of digging. I think I think Bill J. Eberley, who was the first person who noticed this, I realized that the quotes were fabricated.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He I think it was as easy as he took those quotes, put them into Google and they did not turn up. He checked out the reviews by Pauline Kle for The Godfather and those quotes were not included.
Speaker 2: And apparently it gets more interesting, those quotes were in fact AI generated.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't even know that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is as of just earlier today in Variety it says your Lionsgate has parted ways with Eddie Egan, the marketing consultant who came up with the Megalopolis trailer that included fake quotes from famous film critics. Studio pulled the trailer on Wednesday after it was pointed out that the quotes trashing Francis Ford coplas previous work did not actually appear in the critics reviews and were in fact made up. Let's see where's the bit here, Yeah, it's a For instance, the trailer claimed that Pauline Cale wrote in The New Yorker that The Godfather was quote diminished by its artsiness. Kale in fact loved the movie. Listen. When Variety prompted AI service chat GPT to provide negative criticism about copelists work from well known reviewers, the responses provided were strikingly similar to the quotes included in the trailer. Wow, so chat GPT is something I'm having to do with as a college professor.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine. I really can't. I mean, people turning in papers to you, like, how in the world do you know?
Speaker 2: I at this point it's I mean, I'm swimming against the tide. It's so so so hard, you know. So I what I this is just I Mean, what I've tried to do as an instructor is try to minimize the amount of subjective work and instead lean more heavily on objective assessment quizzes and things like that.
Speaker 3: Where are we headed with Hechy?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's like you know, I mean, I still have like essays and stuff, but what I've tried to do is narrow cast my own prompt to sort of to put the focus on give me your thoughts, give me your like, what's your interpretation of this? And just you know, there's no right or wrong necessarily, but I just want to see that you've given it some thought, you know, and that's something that chat GPT can'tssssarily do for you. But it's hard, you know. Yeah, And I don't know what the film is about, but I'm sure it would be the irony of ironies if that, If it too is something about the encroachment of AI.
Speaker 3: Action, that would be But I mean, you know, it's funny because I was, like I said, on the road, and I wasn't able to keep up with news the same way. But I saw this story unfold as headlines where it was like new Megalapolis trailer, you know, Megalapolis trailer bold, and it's using negative quotes to bolster itself, and it's like Megalapolis trailer under scrutiny. It's like, you know, Lionsgate apologizes, Like just watching the story through headlines throughout the day, it was kind of funn yeah, but I mean, how hard would it have been to find a negative quote about any of those movies? Just one quote? Like and why attribute it to some of the most famous film critics of all.
Speaker 2: Time who are gone right? Yeah, you know, And that's that was the weird thing because I watched the trailer and I didn't. I'd love to say I was like, well, those aren't real quotes. I didn't, but I was definitely it pricked me a little bit because I was like, I don't think Pauline Kill hated The Godfather. I feel like I would remember that. So I was like, oh, they're probably pulling like one phrase out of context to make it sound like she hated it. That was my assumption, right, I didn't think they were chat gpting that bitch the trick, yeah bitch, I mean the trailer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and we should say also that the trailer was narrated by Laurence Fishburne, which is he in the movie. I don't knew, but I mean he goes all the way back to Apocalypse now right with Coppola.
Speaker 2: That's right. I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I mean, I mean just hearing his voice. Man, he's an actor. But there was just this air of authenticity or you know what I mean, like I gave it this sort of feeling of I don't know, I definitely get the vibe they were going for. It could have almost worked. It just was too bad they had to not only lie, but like they got caught so quickly, you know what I mean. It wasn't even a very it was really checked. Lie.
Speaker 2: That's embarrassing. Yeah, I mean it's it's literally and me. We're talking about chat GPT. I mean, because I've gotten essays that were clearly AI generated, and you know, I checked the sources and I'm like, this source doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, oh it makes up sources.
Speaker 2: Oh sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've never I'm gonna be honest, I've never really used it. I think I went on there once like as an experiment, Like you you did this really funny thing where you were like, give me the plot to the Fugitive too, that's right, you know, and you were sending me all these things, and so I went in there and it was just like, what would happen if, like, you know, Gumby married you know, MS Piggy or something like. I don't know, like I don't even know where that came from right now, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're learning all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: I actually have a Gumby on my desk, so I was like Gumby, but I've never tried it for anything serious. So when you're reading a chat GPT generated essay, I mean, is it immediately obvious, like is there turns of phrases or does it sound kind of sterile and robotic?
Speaker 2: There? There are certain there are certain red flags, but here's the reality. I mean, I mean it just the ground is shifting under our feet, right, So you have things like grammarly and whatever that everybody uses now to check their writing, right sure, And so I mean it's it's harder and harder because because you can't just pull somebody aside and be like, hey, I know you had AI do this, because because you just don't know. You don't you know if you're gonna if you're gonna come out with the accusation like that, you better be completely buttoned down, and you just can't be yeah, you know, so, I mean this is like we're just going off on this tangent. But you know, I think as an instructor, what I'm struggling with is finding a way to incorporate AI and say, you know, maybe find a way to say, hey, use it, but use it the right way.
Speaker 3: I think that feels that makes sense to me, Like it's hard. I mean, we're not getting rid of it. So if you can find out a way to continue to help them to expand themselves, yeah, while using it, that seems forward thinking to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I think and I mean I'm lucky because it's not like I'm teaching English Lit or something where people are write really advanced type stuff. I can be like, hey, what'd you think of this movie? And I'm like this, and I can just be like hey, and I want to hear from you. I don't really care what tu GPT has to say, you know.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Fundamentally this is I mean, it's orders a magnitude of difference, but it's a similar place to like Wikipedia, where when it first started, you know, it's like, oh, don't use Wikipedia, right, and I've said it for a while, I'm like, look, I could say don't use Wikipedia. I know you're going to use it anyway, but there's a way to use it, right, and there's a there are best practices, and so I think with chatch GPD is just a matter of figuring out, well, what are the best practices here? You know, right right?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, as it pertains to the Megalopolis trailer is kind of funny because because Lionsgate said that they pulled it, but I guess it made it to a few prints of the crow, which okay, and so I know I saw pictures of people who went to see the crow last night. They had pictures of the of the Megalopolis trailer with the with the faulty quote quote quote attributions.
Speaker 3: Funny. I mean, yeah, I was worried I was going to miss it for that reason, like I wanted to see it, but it was very easy to find. So yes, still out there.
Speaker 2: Uh well actually, well while we're talking about the crow, I mean, neither of us has seen it, but holy crap, like right, it feels like people just kind of lined up to take a whack at this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I yeah. I frequent Reddit user and one of the reddits I've subscribed to is like movie, you know, spoiler review or like non spoiler review sort of thing, And so every week when something comes out, I'm curious to look at the non spoiler thing, and man, yeah, everybody was well taking a whack at it. This one is, you know, the thing that I had read. I can't back this up. I haven't seen it. But apparently he doesn't really even become like the Crow or act out as the Crow until like the third act.
Speaker 2: Of the film. Seems like a problem.
Speaker 3: What what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: You know? See? What strikes me is that this is a film that, certainly, for the entire life of our podcast, has been in some stage of development.
Speaker 3: Yeah long time, A long time.
Speaker 2: I mean since the mid two thousands, and at one point Bradley Cooper was attached. Yeah, Jason Momoa, I'm sure other people I'm forgetting. I mean, they've been trying to get this thing going for a while. I've been absolutely consistent in saying, why on earth do you need to remake this movie? If nothing, if for no other reason, then the the tragedy behind that original film is something that should let it stand apart forever. You know. Yeah, by the way, there is the braindon Lee film.
Speaker 3: Wait say that again?
Speaker 2: It still holds up?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I mean yeah, they got it right the first time. Everything about it, I mean, the soundtrack is iconic, the look of it is iconic, you know, the makeup and everything. I mean, And to be fair, they've made sequels. They had a.
Speaker 2: TV series that pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I can understand it, Like it's an iconic visual, that character. So in the age of nothing but ips being made, it makes sense to want to try to do something with the Crow. But you know, I think we were saying before we even got on air, it's like, if you don't have it, don't waste it, you know, Like why they've been trying for so long and it hasn't been working, Like why did they all of a sudden go yet? Did they just say good enough?
Speaker 2: I mean really? Right? You know, Rupert Sanders directed this who he's he did Snowed in The Huntsman, right yeah. And and Bill Scarsgard, who I hear is like okay in it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, he's one of those guys I think everybody kind of likes, but he just kind of can't get a break with his films, right right. He was in the what was that really violent movie?
Speaker 2: Was it John Wick four? I don't know. That's the only one I haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Oh funny, it's I'm not making a great case for it. But I remember seeing him in a movie where he played this I think it was John Wick for. But I remember thinking on like, oh, I like this guy. He's pretty good. He's a good presence, Like he's unique. It is John Wick for by the way, Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember him in horse Stables and you know, hurting people. But but yeah, I mean it kind of bums me out. I feel bad for him, you know, like you take a role, you give it a shot. But if it's not there, it's not there.
Speaker 2: I mean to the point you were making earlier. They they did three sequels to the the original one, okay, and I would say only one is like a direct sequel in that it carries forward certain characters. But the thing is, did did the Eric Draven story really need to be done again?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I know, it feels like the natural way to go is tell a different story and the crow brings someone else back for a different reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just do something in the vein of the crow. But I have would be a brand new thing.
Speaker 3: M No, that doesn't make any sense to crazy talk.
Speaker 2: It's fine. I used to watch the television show, oh really, which was yeah, I mean it was like a syndicated know w C I U, you know, Saturday afternoons, you know, shot in Vancouver type thing, you know, and it was it was it was Eric.
Speaker 3: Draven m righting wrongs basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So instead of, you know, the film ends with him, he goes back to He's reunited with Shelley and that's it, right, Yeah, But the show was called The crow Stairway to Heaven, and the idea is that like he has to eventually, eventually he'll be reunited with her, but he has to like do good deeds and stuff. Okay, okay, which like all right, you know, you know what I didn't like about that. It starred Mark de costcos As as Eric, and he you know, he's from he's been a bunch of stuff, like he was in on Hawaii oz and stuff. But he he was he was in the Double Dragon movie, you remember that. Yeah, he was the not Scott Wolf.
Speaker 3: That Scott Wolf's the only person I remember from that.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, but but it was like he's like he has like a normal he looks normal, and then like when he when he's like goes into action, he like crows out. Oh and he gets like crow face.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was like their solution as opposed to having him just wander around with the makeup on it.
Speaker 3: All the time. Yeah, so he could walk into a bar somewhere and look unassuming, but then he gets activated.
Speaker 2: He's like crow power is activated. He would say that. Yeah, so that was a weird one. I can't speak to whether it's I can't imagine it holds up very well, but but I remember watching it when it aired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, this movie, I mean, I gotta be honest, I don't think I would leave the house for it, but there's a curiosity factor that I would. If it was on HBO one evening, I could see stopping on it.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. That's that's Brian's final word on The Crow.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I.
Speaker 2: Do think it is remarkable that, I mean, there was no chatter about this movie at all leading up into literally its release.
Speaker 3: No, well, the trailer came out a couple months ago. Everyone tugged on their collars going oh and then yeah, to your point, you texted me and said, can you believe no one's talking about The Crow? And I think I said that's coming out this week. Yeah, Like I didn't even know that, and I follow this stuff.
Speaker 2: And I should say, I mean I mentioned it in my class just as oh, by the way, and most of them are like, what's we don't even know what the crow is?
Speaker 3: I was just wondering, Yeah, I wonder if that's like a I'm trying to think of an equivalent. I mean, that's what that was ninety four, So it's like thirty years ago, you know, Yeah, ninety four, like it.
Speaker 2: Had cultural relevance above and beyond the the you know, the music and everything, obviously because of Brandon Lee and what happened to him. And I mean that again, I think the movie holds up pretty well, but it Yeah, I mean, it's gonna have a different resid ence for our generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'd be curious actually to show it to someone younger and see what they think of it.
Speaker 2: See what they think of it. Yeah, like you said, great soundtrack? Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. Hey, let's take another short break and we will talk about the movie still sitting atop the box office this weekend and we're back, and hey, Brian, you know who else is back that sick it's been a while. It's those wacky face hugging Zeno morphs from the Alien franchise. Yay, just when you thought it was safe to go back into space. Yeah something Alien Romulus is in theaters now. It was number one last weekend, and as it heads into its second weekend, looks like it's going to be number one again as we record this. So if I'm wrong, boy, will I have egg on my face?
Speaker 3: Apparently for the people who've seen The First Crow, it can rain all the time.
Speaker 2: You know that film. By the way, Alex Proyus, who directed that film, Yeah, really like he had the potential to be like a true like a Ridley Scott level visionary. Yeah yeah, I mean between The Crow and Dark City, Dark City, if you just can't call it a career after those two, man, you got it made in the shade? What happened?
Speaker 3: I know he made Knowing, Yes, and he did I Robot, I Robot. I forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he did Gods of Egypt and that that's around.
Speaker 3: Are those his projects or was he someone who took you know, a script in was the visionary who brought it to.
Speaker 2: Life that I do not know, although I suspect, at least in so far as I Robot, he was probably something close to a hired gun.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting because what I remember about I Robot is that it felt like a very polished studio yes s II fi adventure film, and I just didn't feel a lot for it, which is weird coming from a guy who made Dark City and The Crow That's right, right, which are just dripping with like artistry and creativity and a vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I thought I Robot was. It was fine. It was like Eye Candy. I don't remember anything about.
Speaker 3: It same, you know.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yeah, speaking of Eye Candy, I should say Alien Romulus. This is the ninth Alien film, by the way, you believe. Wow, that's a lot that includes two alien versus Predator movies. I'm I'm They're part of the count as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: Still, I saw someone say that this is a forty five year old franchise the other day, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is bananas. That's something that really is. And I think that says a lot about sort of the the the Eternal appeal of this particular mister. So this was originally intended to be a straight to Hulu movie I'll pray a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: That's insane. Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think I think Disney saw the good reaction Pray got and they were like, that should have been released in theaters. Agreed, and so with this they rejiggered it a little bit. It was made for around eighty million dollars, which is like in today's economy, that's like Blair Witch Project money.
Speaker 3: Dude, you would never know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, you know, so I should say I I, as I mentioned earlier in the show, I went and saw it with with Adam Lance Hendrickson, a fan of our show, who said, hey, let's let's meet at in Elmhurst. There's a there's like a classic cinema. I was like, let's do it. It's like an old timey It's like it's like the Last Action Hero theater, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Oh cool, okay, like the movie Palace kind of one of them things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But but the screening room itself had been upgraded and it had reclining seats and stuff and new new fangled sound and so we sit down and we start watching. The movie starts playing and you could not really make out the dialogue. Oh so the sound mix was shoddy to the to the point where Adam, to his credit, got up several times to be like, hey, guys, this the saint. It's not working. You know, the sound it's hard to hear you know.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Like like in terms like it was bad speakers.
Speaker 2: It was not. It was not mixed properly. And in my layman's opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe certain channels weren't coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so like the dialogue was being overpowered by the sound effects and whatnot. Okay, so you had to struggle a little bit to hear it. Like I'm I'm somebody when I watch movies at home, just as a I just I watched with subtitles on. So I'm I'm like, God, I could use some subtitles, you know.
Speaker 3: No, I just I don't know, because Federica does that too, and you're only emboldening her.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: It's a huge thing. I'm seeing memes about this. I was on the airplane recently. I saw people like, I know, this is a thing. I just I have such a hard time with it.
Speaker 2: I've been watching movies with subtitles since since two thousand and one, when they released The Godfather Trilogy on DVD. Yeah, and I was having trouble understanding some of these folks in their accents. I put on the subtitles. I was like, oh my god, this is the Promised Land.
Speaker 3: Do you find your eyes drawn to it? Though?
Speaker 2: At this point no, I'm just it's just part of the experience.
Speaker 3: So you're sort of used to them on screen. I mean, obviously, when I'm watching a foreign film or something in a different language, I'm used to it, and my eyes are drawn to it. I need them. But you so if you ALIGNE goes past really quickly, you don't understand it. You're kind of trained to look down really quickly.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean it's not I wouldn't even say it that directed emotion. It's just I'm just taking the totality of the screen, including the text.
Speaker 3: I see, I see.
Speaker 2: So, so Frederica, keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 3: I got your back.
Speaker 2: Don't listen to this this heathen. That's hilarious. But anyway, I could have used some of them subtitles watching it. So so the mix got a little better as we went, and it was not It was not an ideal experience. But I want to call out Adam actually getting up multiple times and asking him to fix it, because I don't know that I would have did that, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I had experience like that too, where audio was weird. It's very loud, like loud to the point of pain. And I to this day, I'm like, why did I get up and say something rather than go through that for two and a half hours.
Speaker 2: So what ended up happening is I had to watch it again just so that I could I could make out the look. And you you watched this last.
Speaker 3: Night, right yesterday afternoon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yesterday? Okay, So we have not discussed this at all. I think I think it's and I hate doing this. I think it's just one of those Eh, it's fine, Zachi. Yeah, I loved it. Wow.
Speaker 3: How often does that happen?
Speaker 2: Wow? All right?
Speaker 3: I went in very I wouldn't even say skeptical. I was. I'm a fan of alien and aliens, but I'm not. They're not like my terminator too, you know, I know it backwards and sure, sure it's tied to my youth or anything. Yeah, And so I saw the trailer, I was like, I'm hopeful. I love that shot of Kaylee Spainey with the gun. It looks like something from nineteen eighty six and the best.
Speaker 2: Possible way, totally yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I went into this truly out of obligation, like like I would watch it at some point, but you know, the hit to miss ratio in the series is not that great, you know what I mean, And so I went in like, Okay, here we go. And then it's like it starts out on that you know, colonized planet and you know her and her her brother quote unquote, and like and I was like, I'm kind of into this, like I'm enjoying the world building. And then it came up with their goal. You know, it's a little risky, but let's go do this and then we can get a specifics later. But like this ticking clock is introduced, and I literally out loud went fantastic. That ticking clock is so cool. And I loved the filmmaking. I loved the I thought they captured the alien aesthetic of these like damp ships and like a filmmaker visuals, you know, very thoughtful direction and like the tension was interesting or well done. The set pieces were inventive and used everything that was available within the not only the geography of the ship, but the logic of the ship and how it works.
Speaker 2: And the station or station space station.
Speaker 3: And like two thirds in, I was like, a plus right now, I mean it is this like a plus like Godfather's a plus. Like no, no, but like as an alien, I totally get what you're saying, A plus, Like I have no complaints. And then in the third act something happens that made me like, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's where it kind of lost me. Not even lost me, but that's where I was like, all right that you know, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was actually like, dude, I actually Frederika hates' movies like this.
Speaker 2: I think she actually like this.
Speaker 3: And then I was even like you know what, I'm gonna take my brother. I'm gonna take my brother to this. And then I have to say the ending did knock me down to like yeah, maybe I'll take my brother.
Speaker 2: See Okay, So so without spoiling anything, here here is where I end up at. It's fine because I did enjoy it. I think I think all the stuff that you said, I think fide Alvarez did an amazing job, really evoking both of the first two films, both of like Chef's Kiss. Yeah, I don't what I and they you know what they said, what the filmmakers said. Oh, there's all these like nods to the other films in the series throughout. And I was on board for the most part. And we'll get into those and spoilers what I was less on board for. And my son, who I my oldest son. I went with him the second time he pointed this out, and I agree with him. The final third or the final bit at the near near the near the end is a virtual remake of the original movie.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree. I don't disagree, and you know, and that's the other thing too, I do have to give like a caveat, even though I'm not backing down from really enjoying myself. Yes, and maybe it even had to do with me sort of. Okay, I just got back from this trip. I'm really tired, but I gotta go see this and talk about with Zachi and yeah, and then getting really into it and leaning forward in my seat and walking out like man, I had a good time. That that was my perience. I also have seen people criticizing it for being I guess derivative, you know, like just repeating the first two films, and I would say, you know what, You're not wrong, like, you're not wrong, Like this to me feels like a synthesis. I would say, a very good synthesis of one and two.
Speaker 2: See, you know what, you're You're right. And and if I can just add to that, what it felt like to me was a Force Awakens Alien movie.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, yeah, sure right.
Speaker 2: You know how Force Awakens is basically a remake of Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what this.
Speaker 2: Is, right, and and essentially Kaylee Spainey is and you got you Got, you Got Ray and Finn basically, No, you're so right. I'm not saying that in a bad way. I get it because this is an IP and Disney's gonna want to find Fox Slash. Disney's gonna find ways to to you know, to platform it outward. Totally fine. The the the only part of that derivative, that derivative aspect that pulled me out was how much the final piece felt like just redoing the exact ending of Alien.
Speaker 3: You know, I can't disagree, and I think I actually liked it. We both have these opinions because I think we're coming from slightly similar but slightly different places relationships with the movies. So I'm happy I can sort of represent this where it's like someone who saw Star Wars two or three times and it was like, oh yeah, I remember liking Star Wars. So it's not maybe as in my face right, although it did cross my mind while it was happening.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you, I mean, given the totality of alien films, I would place this in the upper third.
Speaker 3: You know me too, Oh yeah, definitely, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know where i'd put it with reference to the third one, but certainly I liked it better than the fourth one, which I don't believe you've even seen.
Speaker 3: No, no, everybody told me it's not worth it, and so i've I'll watch it someday, but it's never that's a weird one, man, because I think it has some good ideas, yeah, that are not executed particularly well.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I think this one what I really appreciated, and I think I think we're like ya close to spoilers, so, but ultimately what I appreciated was the esthetic approach, how it very much. It lives within the world of those first two movies. It's clearly made and Fida Alvarez and I'm assuming you know the various people he got to make the movie with them very much. Coming at it as fans of those.
Speaker 3: Two movies, definitely. I mean the production design, like I said, the damp ships, the old school sort of eighties kind of computers.
Speaker 2: The computers, yep, I loved that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, me too, man, you know, even just real I just wanted to in the filmmaking. Like it was the lenses. I could tell the lenses he was using, and like, I don't know if it was shot in film or not. Usually I'm pretty good at it. Twisters was shot on film and it was beautiful. You could tell. And I really feel like it elevated that film. This one, I don't know, it feels like it was, and so I think it reminded, you know, what it was, like, evoked the type of movies that delighted me when I was young. Sure, it's style. There's a group shot where the kids are talking about I think they're talking about taking off or what the plan is, and there's this group shot of them and it just has that sort of slightly warped wide angle sort of and the way that they're blocked and seated in the room. And I was just like, man, I feel like I'm watching a lust movie from my youth and it really and not just that stuff. I did enjoy the relationship with Kaylee Spiney and like I said, her brother, that worked for me that it was changes the shifts in that Yeah, that were for you two.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And by the way, David Johnson who plays Andy, he was great to me.
Speaker 3: That's like a starmaking role.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's terrific in though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's been great too. I mean, Priscilla had a good Civil War, good couple of years alien. Yeah, yeah. And I just thought the set piece, I mean, that's what we're going for. Could you completely shift it and not put it on a ship and people getting picked off? Yes, And I think they should because they're going to keep making these please do that. But for whatever this is, like I said, as a synthesis, I thought it was a highly successful synthesis of new characters, new locations, new parameters, and some really cool ideas for them to navigate through. That just had me. I literally noticed at one point, I was leaning for it in my seat, having a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think ultimately where I landed is is it?
Speaker 3: It's it's a.
Speaker 2: Fine entry in this franchise that doesn't touch its height, sure, but is pretty well above it's lows.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I mean in the in the age of these legacy sequels, these speaking of the Crow, you know what I mean. You go, oh, well, they can make another good alien movie, even though yes, like, is it a little bit you know, an echo too much of an echo of something?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Very much.
Speaker 3: So absolutely I can see that, and it would be cool if they could figure out some sort of new angle to come at it with. Totally. But I guess it was just to my surprise how much I enjoyed this.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, you want to talk spoilers, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Spoiler.
Speaker 2: So right up top we come in. We you know, you have the type face, the saw bass typeface, you know, And I'm like, okay, already, my my short hairs are standing up. I'm like, oh ho, there we.
Speaker 3: Dude, James Horner esque music over the stars. I was like, oh my gosh, Like I was like, you're really going to do like a score like that.
Speaker 2: Well, and then and then we float through the wreckage of the Nostromo and I'm like, sign me up.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, it looked I couldn't selve as a model or CG.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: Whoever did that? Kudos, man, kudos.
Speaker 2: I had a student by the recently, who's who's like, oh, I just watched the original Alien and I was like, oh, did you think? And they said, you know, I didn't think the CG was very good. And I said, oh, well there's a reason for that. Oh no, but okay, So this is set twenty years after Alien. Right, it's a I think I think the term is mid qool as as the youngsters. So I liked that. I like how they found some cracks to fit a story into that. That all I was on board with the the what I'm I'm like, this is my problem, right, I'm like watching the how does the continuity fit together? Right? And and you've got the Ridley Scott prequel movies, you know, Prometheus, an Alien, Covenant, and you got this and how does it all fit? And And what I appreciated was that this movie attempts to encompass the totality. So you've got okay, so we should mention this. You've got a CGI resurrected Ian Holme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: So I've seen a lot of people online kind of losing their shit over this. Yeah, right, oh, this is you know, it's disrespectful, it's a homunculus and all this other stuff and and on. Maybe this is like a controversial opinion, but I'm like, look, if you can do it well and if the family is on board with it, I don't see that much of a problem with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I thought it worked. It was jarring at first, right, and some of it I thought looked a little dodgy. I think that was the only dodgy looking visual effects in the film. Yes, but it felt of the world. It did.
Speaker 2: The only the only caveat I would say is I would have preferred if he and this is not ash. This is Rook, a new character. But you know, I think in terms of the movies Shorthand, it makes sense to have him because you see Ian Holme and right away you're like, this, this guy's sketchy as opposed to having a new synthetic person. And then we have to connect the dots on our own whether he is or not a good guy or a bad guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good point.
Speaker 2: However, I would have preferred not to have him be a presence all the way throughout. I think a little would have gone a long way.
Speaker 3: M M yeah yeah, Like I was appearing on those monitors, on the monitors, and then and then this is so this is a thing that bugged me.
Speaker 2: I don't mind member berries, but I don't like is you know, and this is Terminator movies do this like oh hey, I'll be back right yeah where He's like, you know, I don't uh, you know, I won't tell you the chances, but you have my sympathy. I'm like, oh, that's the exact same thing. Ash says, like, you guys all just say the same stuff. You know. That stuff takes me out of it.
Speaker 3: And surprisingly, as on the nose as that was, that wasn't, the to my opinion, most offensive.
Speaker 2: Okay a line. I think I know what you're talking about. Yeah. If if Andy said get away from her period, yep, I would have been fine.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 2: When he says literally he's like, get away from her dot dot dot, I'm like, please, don't, please, don't please you bitch. Oh damn it.
Speaker 3: I know, it was like, oh, come on, like, it's like he watched the other movie exactly. That's and he doesn't drives me that way. That's that's not his character to talk like that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: So that type of stuff I don't like. As far as the Rook character and the role he plays, I had no problem. Again, I'm kind of like, look, it sounds like the family was on board. And I know before Ian Holme died, he did this little cameo in the Hobbit, so I feel like he would have been open to this at least. I don't know. Maybe I don't. That's presumptuous on my part, but I just feel like it it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. Yeah. Yeah, so all of that, I was on board with that. And again the aesthetic, like the way they go into the science lab and you're like, my god, this looks like the thing on the Nostromo. You know, like I loved all of that stuff. I think that this is and this is where watching it twice really helped. I was like, how long has this ship been like a derelict? You know what I mean? Because I'm like, it sounds like what they're doing is pretty important. Sounds like the company knew about it right right sitting here. And then the second time, because I could actually hear him, he's like, we were searching for the wreckage of the Nostromo for twenty years. We found it about one hundred and ten days ago, and so within the last three months all of this went down, right, So then it makes sense that, well, it's everything went to shit very quickly and the company just hasn't had time to send anybody and they just happened to stumble upon it then, So that that clicked for me. That made sense. Yeah, in terms of the the progression of the story, Like I said, I'm I was kind of like, first of all, when they find that whole the room with the face huggers, Yeah, dude, I've seen so many versions of this scene, you know. I'm kind they did something new. Yep, you know that. And then there's the other scene when they're going there's it's like a room full of face huggers and they have to just get through.
Speaker 3: It and be quiet, dude. And then that girl's in peril and she's speaking through the calm and he's like like trying to cover the calm.
Speaker 2: Great by the way, Dora the Explorer goes through it in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah she's ever said, Yeah, we just saw her in that other piece of shit movie too, was that.
Speaker 3: Madame Web Wow? Okay, now she's great in this. She was good in this, but dude, Yeah, the set pieces, the whole thing where they introduce the gravity, you know, kicking on and off, you know, introduced at the beginning, and it's fun because it makes it an obstacle for them to get to their goal, you know, right at the beginning. But that the way that that comes back into play when she's in that hallway. I loved it because she was in that hallway. She's literally got her back against the wall. There's all these aliens coming toward her and she's got that gun, but you can't shoot them because their acid blood will go through the ship and they'll crash. I literally was like, I love this. I have no idea what she can do. I don't know, and I can't wait to find out. And then when they use the gravity, and so she shoots kills all the aliens and all their blood is floating in the air and she has to navigate her way through there and even like she's going to encounter it, so she shoots her gun to push herself down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, come on, this is great.
Speaker 2: That was that was pretty effective. I mean, that's well, that's kind of the thing, right, that's the essential. This is something that Ridley Scott talked about after Prometheus, you know, before before Alien Covenant, they were going to do just a straight ahead sequel to Prometheus, and somebody asked him like, are you going to bring in the alien or whatever? He says, well, I think they've done everything they can with that creature, you know. And and you know, I think I think Fan uproar led to them doing Alien Covenant and that it's not a movie I was crazy about. Some people like it, but I think what this movie showed to me at least, it's like, well there's I mean, it's an it's a visually distinctive creature with a very specific set of strengths and limitations, and it's all about finding a new angle, you know. So I'm on board for that. Just HARKing back to what I was saying earlier about it, sort of these references that include the totality for me, hearing Ian Holme as basically Ash talking about the Prometheus. Yeah, that's to me, that's like Luke Skywalker mentioning Dart Citius. You know what I mean. You're like, oh, wow, it's that thing, but it's that other thing and they're all connected. Wow. Yeah yeah, like like I think, because again I was not a fan of Alien Covenant. However that's in the mix, right. That's so I like the idea of tying this in because to me, this by virtue of what we see in this film, it gives some context to Alien that is intriguing, right, like, oh, the company wanted the alien, but why did they want the alien? Oh they're trying to engineer people for terraforming or whatever. Like all of that is interesting, these little pieces that you can carry forward, you know. I did like it.
Speaker 3: Yes, all that world building stuff was great, and like I said, the first act, I was just eating it up, like seeing them what their reality was. And when she's trying to say that she has her hours and the poor you know, android beaten up and he's telling the dad jokes like I was just all that was so great. Yeah, and then I yeah, the black Goo it's it kind of makes sense why they would want It's like, well, everyone's dying, like we keep getting diseases. Like colonizing these places is not working out. We need to enhance these people. I was like, oh yeah, I mean I don't love the goo, but like it. It makes sense, like it they they fit it in and at the very least.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on, I'm going to contradict myself into a second. But one thing about both prometh and Covenant which drove me bananas is you have people acting in a way that no human would act under these circumstances.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So in Prometheus, you're, you know, they're exploring this alien temple or whatever it is, and this weird snake looking thing pokes its head up, and so one of our genius scientific explorers is like, hey, buddy, and he kind of sticks his hand up. I'm like, what are you stupid? And he predictably dies shortly thereafter it. And then similar stuff in Covenant. They're like, hey, this planet's fine, let's all take off our helmets. I'm like, no, don't do that. Yeah, And for the most part with this film, I was like, Okay, they're at least acting believably. Yeah, up until Dora the Explorer is like, hey, let me inject this thing into my body. What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I mean, it's we'd joke about Chekhov's gun a lot, and it's funny because when she's about to do it, when she's still with Rain and Rain, all of a sudden, it's like, no, don't. I was like, oh, phew. But then when what's her name?
Speaker 1: Ka?
Speaker 3: You know she's a lone, she's pregnant, she's dying. I was like, oh, I don't really want this to happen, but you also realize it has to happen, you know what I mean? And so then I mean, well, then the movie turns into the movie split, you know what I mean. You get like the half man half alien hybrid thing, and I was like, eh, like for truly, like I was on a high with this movie, and when that thing was introduced, I was like, Okay, I don't know, how'd you feel about that?
Speaker 2: So it it? It looks it looks kind of like an engineer, you know, from Frometheus. Right, first of all, I was like, Wow, that's some crazy cgi and that's actually a real dude.
Speaker 3: I'm the close ups I felt like you could tell it looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: I don't even mean the close ups. I mean just standing up. It's a real guy. Wow, Like you know how the alien in seventy nine, that's a guy in a suit. This is a guy who they just put like an alien tail on and crap.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope the NBA is keeping watch.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I so so the and the creature is called the Offspring by the way, okay, uh and it's say again I love that band. Yeah, it's reminiscent of an alien resurrection. There's a creature called the Newborn. Yeah, and that's like a human alien hybrid in a different way. I've heard about you like this. This this is a little call. Yeah, and that's disgusting looking in that So this is kind of in that vein. Yeah it uhh. I never fully got on board with it. I found it too disgusting looking.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought it was gross for starters, but I can live with gross if I'm on board with it. But I it's like the whole reality of the movie shifted slightly and I was really enjoying the reality I had just been in, right, you know what I'm saying, which I you know, reality, aliens whatever, like right, but I get.
Speaker 2: The very similitude that they created, which.
Speaker 3: I thought they did very very well. And then this one I felt like I leapt into another like the movie Species or something, you know what I mean. And I was like, no, I was really enjoying the other movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's so to me, it's was it was. I crazy about Act three. I was not did it kill the entire movie?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 2: It did not. I know for some people it did. I'm not there. But but again, just just to echo what I was saying before, it's not even so much as the creature being kind of off putting or whatever, but I'm like, it just it became such a retread of like, Okay, now she's she's in her underwear. Now she's got to get into spacesuit, and now she's got to open up the vacuum of space. Like it's like beat for beat, you know.
Speaker 3: I definitely thought it with kicking the thing out into space. I didn't even think about like when she was kind of yet ready, like in her underwear and whatever, that's.
Speaker 2: So true, You're right, And then at the end she's like this is rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Carrodine last survivor of this signing off, I'm like, is this just a thing that we do now in this universe? You know?
Speaker 3: Fair? Totally fair, you know.
Speaker 2: I like, like, that's the stuff that pricks me. And again it's not like a deal breaker, but that's that's like, that's like, hey, you've seen the other movie, right, and it's just like that thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like I'm kind of with you. It wasn't enough to derail the movie from me. At the end of the day, I like the first I'd say like three quarters of this movie really really enjoyed. Last quarter didn't, like I said, felt like I left into another movie, like you said, got a little repetitive. Although I will add to that I did love the Well, what I was saying referring to earlier with the ticking clock was we've got to get these power cells out of here, and in thirty six hours, this thing is just on a collision course to this ring of this planet, right, which I was like, oh, come on, that's so good, like right, like just using the environment, it makes total sense. It's organic original, that's a really fun And then of course they get you know, things go haywire and it shortens the window and they're going to hit those rings even quicker. So when it came to her being connected to that cable, having to get him out detached the bottom thing, and then it involved that bottom whatever storage thing colliding into those rings, the spinning rings of that planet, and then the shit blasting off just in time before it hits the rings. And I really liked that. I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: No, I think the internal logic holds up pretty well. And I'm sure somebody will write in and tell me how it falls apart and which is fine. But I mean, just at a glance, it seem seemed to hold up okay, and so I'm fine with that, and I like for the most part how it fits in continuity wise, and I'm definitely like, well, well there's an opportunity here to do something with this universe. I mean, I like the universe, you know, I like the alien universe. I love whyland Utani, which I'm I'm gonna say is like Amazon one hundred years from now. Basically. Yeah, it was all fun and games and we were ordering toilet paper. You know, they'll be bioengineering us before we know it, you know, I like, I like that like the fleshing out of what the company is everything else. And I think the existence of this film within this time period in the in the you know, the cannon speaks to like the acknowledgment that well, that's the most fruitful place to tell stories.
Speaker 3: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: Sure, because you know, because they kept moving forward. The last the fourth, the Sigourney Weaver one is like one hundred years after or whatever it is, you know, and it gets less interesting, you know, But when you keep it somewhat close to where we came in, you know that there's the opportunity there for for something that we can somewhat relate to. Yep, yep. And so it's it's again at this point, this is a very this is a very expansive franchise. So it's I'm kind of looking at it at any new films as new Terminator movies almost like, Okay, well, at this point, we're not going to get anything close to those first two. Yeah, but give me something that that pulls me in a little bit. And I would say in terms of hit to miss ratio, as far as that goes, I'd say the Alien franchise is fared better overall than than than the terminatory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh so it's it, it's it's uh for me personally, I'm when when the movie ended, I was like, well, I don't know what else you can do with this character, but I'd be curious to see more of her. So that's to me, like that, I'd put that in the wind column, you know.
Speaker 3: Totally totally. I mean, yeah, her and her brother being sort of the main protagonists. I really enjoyed their journey, you know, I mean where he's sort of a caretaker for her, but he's programmed to be sort of like almost like a younger brother, it seems. And then when he gets his chip replaced and he becomes really smart, and then he's basically you know, the needs of the many way the needs of the few kind of becomes cold in that sort of way that they don't like. And then you know, her deciding to go back after him, like all that track for me, the emotionality of all that I was really important.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I I mean I think, well, and when we look at the the other human characters on balance, I liked them same, which to me, that's that's your win right there, where you're actually like, oh I don't do that, you know, like all of that idiot, the the the the guy, the the guy with the headband. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the kind of the jerk character when he when he sticks the that little electrode probe thing from from King to the Planet of the Apes, when he puts that in the the sack and he pulls it, I sees this burned. I'm like, hey, stupid, yeah, keep walking moron, you know. Yeah. It's like, hey, there's this thing sticking out. Let me let me just poke my eye socket right up next to it and see what's happening there. You know. Yeah, this is the stuff where I'm like, come on, come on, guys. Yep, yep. It's it's very funny because because again, you you look at John Hurt in Alien and when he looks into the thing, You're like, well, don't do that right, right, And you always say like, would I say that? Now, I'm only saying that because I know Alien, right, And I'm like, no, I'm just a terrified person in general. So something is guey and sketchy and and not you know, it does not occur naturally.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna stick my face in it. That's to me, that's how Zaki is on rolls.
Speaker 3: No need to poke it. I'm not a poke type of ers.
Speaker 2: Just keep walking. It walks. Yeah. But but you know, uh, I I'm glad it's performing because I'm curious to see what happens next with this universe. I think it's interesting that Ridley Scott is an EP on this, and I would not be surprised if the Prometheus references were put in. At his prodding.
Speaker 3: One he's like, it's like, where's the goo?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, Like he's kind of like the the you know, the overseer of Alien and stuff. It feels like I think he might even be involved with this new show that's coming up.
Speaker 3: You know what, though, he set the template, and that is quite a template.
Speaker 2: Like I quite a template, you know.
Speaker 3: Halfway through I was even thinking there was that movie that came out a couple of years ago, Life all Right, which was a lot like Alien essentially, you know, this entity picking out people in space, and I remember being fine, I don't remember a lot about it, to be honest, right, but it didn't linger in my mind. It didn't create a world I remember, and I thought about that during this because man, this it's really Scott created this sort of vibe for this universe. But I was amazed at how they reconjured that vibe. It's just not easy to do. I mean we were talking about it in the Terminator Salvation commentary where I was like, this doesn't feel connected to the other movies. For me, it doesn't even resemble the other movies, right, And I was just amazed that he was able, Alvarez was able to do that, like it it felt like an a level execution. Yeah, I mean in this world it fits seamlessly between the first two yep, where I'd be very curious, like if someone were to watch them in chronological order, how they would flow. And that, honestly, that's the reason why the little, the little verbal nods I didn't like, m yeah, because you're right. If you put up sorry, I'm I'm how are you often probably gonna say the same thing you're about to Yeah, well go ahead. Yeah. Well then if you get the the Andy character saying get away from her, you bitch, and then you watched Aliens next, it's like it takes away the power of that moment, which is an incredible moment.
Speaker 2: Yes again, it's in the theater. I was like, get away from her. I love it. And then when he says you.
Speaker 3: Bitch, I was like, really, like, I would be kind of curious to be in the room when they're making a decision, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you know, you know they had that conversation should we put this part of that way? You know?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sure there was decision. Yeah, like a very version with a version without it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, Hey, you know what, Look, as far as I'm concerned, we have the television show coming next year by Noah Hawley, and I think that is set a concurrent to Prometheus, if I'm not mistaken timeline wise. So I don't know. I don't know what the plan is are that it's called Alien Earth. Make of that what you will, Okay, but but I'm excited to see what they do.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm in. I'm in, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is you know, the Alien franchise. You know, for me, it's even between the films. You know. Dark Horse Comics for the longest time, they had a whole series of comic books, yeah, and set in different time periods and whatever. And they did the same thing with Predator, you know, and that I'm kind of like that if we end up with something like that, like what dark Horse Comics did for all those decades, like here's an alien story set in this time, you know, and that's I'm on board for that totally, because I think the creature is obviously visually distinctive. It's never you'll never be able to do this kind of creature as good as this. And also, I mean, I think there's a lot of potential for different story I've used to.
Speaker 3: Explore, you know, I agree, And if you can keep coming with interesting scenarios and ways to play with this stuff, yeah, well then I will enjoy it.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: This is great, man. I'm really enjoyed this conversation. When it ended, I was so tempted to text you. Really, we don't tend to do that, so I was like, Okay, I'm gonna try to avoid it talking tomorrow. So yeah, well, I hope people enjoyed this conversation, and hey, let us know your thoughts. I mean, this has been somewhat of a divisive film, so hey, maybe you disagree with us, and that's fine.
Speaker 2: Let us know. You can email us at MOVIEFILM Podcast at gmail dot com. You can all so hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com, slash Movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, if you like what we're doing, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps spread the word. We're also on YouTube, so if you want to subscribe to our YouTube channel and access our content that way, hey, you know what, that's fine too. If you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachie's Corner. That's the Aki S Corner. I also have a couple pieces up at San Francisco Chronicle and also at IGN. I have my review of Watchman Chapter one. This is the new animated adaptation of the classic.
Speaker 3: Graphic novel A wait, where's that to watch you?
Speaker 2: It's streaming, but my review is at IgM. Cool off, check that out. So, yeah, they've taken the graphic novel and they're adapting it into two parts, a two part animated movie, so kind of like the long Halloween, Got It, Got It?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So so this, the first part goes up to well, shit, I don't even remember what party goes up.
Speaker 3: To, but.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting because I think I think it's a good adaptation. It's by J. Michael Straczinski. He did the script and it's you know, he created about on five, et cetera. And he, unlike the Snyder film, you know, he tries to stick very closely to the to the text, you know. But the problem I had is that in terms of like the performances, which are all pretty good, but you can't help but compare them with the live action performers. And and say what you will about the Zack Snyder movie, the casting was like on point, Jackie Earl Haley was amazing as Warshak, right right right, And here you've got Titus well Over as Warshak. Titus well Over, great actor, and I can totally see him as Warshak.
Speaker 3: But it's not Jackie Earl Haley. Sure sure feels like an imitation.
Speaker 2: Following that, yeah, weirdly right and then and then the bigger problem, and this is this is the issue with both the Snyder film and the animated movie. Neither one convinced me that you're not better off just reading the comic. Hmmm. Interesting, that's to me. I'm like the comic. I mean, I remember you had this issue with the with the Snyder film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I I read it for the first time in preparation for the movie, and I really enjoyed it. Yeah hmm, okay, well, you know, I mean, if I come across it out of curiosity, I'd like to see there's certain moments.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not terrible. It's not terrible. And the the animation at CG animated, but the style is meant to look like Dave Gibbons is drawing, sure, which I think is really cool. I kind of evokes his brushstroke and stuff, so so worth the look, worth the look anyway? Cool? Cool? But what about you? What do you have anything you want to talk up?
Speaker 3: Well? In past weeks, I've been talking about episodes of Young Jedi Adventures dropping and they've dropped, so those are available now season two, first batch of episodes on Disney Junior and Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: There you go, there it is. Thanks everybody for listening. We'll catch you next time. This has been episode two ninety nine, and look at that three hundred is right around the corner. Wow.
Speaker 1: Welcome friends to podcasts podcasting. John Show back again. Bye he they're talking tout Groobys Mommy Now podcast on