Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? How you doing out there?
Speaker 2: It's me Tigger, I.
Speaker 1: Am Dark Wayne Duck. It's me Bunker's Deep Bobcat.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all?
Speaker 1: Did it ray your favorite firefly you desire?
Speaker 2: Hold old Knock Gud.
Speaker 1: My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I am Brendanta the four Finger discat Network, joined by producer Chris Hey you doing, sir?
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, everybody.
Speaker 3: Legendary Jim Cummings, how are you?
Speaker 1: Meanwhile?
Speaker 2: Back at the ranch?
Speaker 3: Hello, and today we are very lucky to be joined by the voice that say Disney. She's Ariel, she is the lovely Joy and Juddy, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: I do agree? Thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Having me thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: The ours, honor is ours.
Speaker 5: Oh well, we've been trying to do this for like the last three years, so yes, it happened.
Speaker 1: Finally got it fixed. Well, you're a busy you're a busy goal. We like that.
Speaker 5: Well, and you're a busy guy. And I see you a lot while we're flying across the.
Speaker 1: Sky at Yes, it's a beautiful thing. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing. And you know, I I had some pleasant surprises because I'm because I'm thinking, well, oh gosh, I know Jody, I know, yeah, all this and that, and but I'm finding all these little gems, like there was a ball you were in Balto? Yes, that Balto the second and third one. I guess, yes, yes, because I was in the first one.
Speaker 2: But I was the bad guy, so I got kicked off.
Speaker 5: Oh bad guy, you're gone. Yeah, yeah, Balto two and three. It's kind of like I I sort of do all the twos and threes. I do all the sequels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part two, that's great, I've done those.
Speaker 5: You're like a lady were you were you lady in the original and like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, but your mom wasn't old enough. Yeah, that's nice. Well, they did that for a good while. They were coming out with the directive videos, and we didn't mind those a bit.
Speaker 2: Because people bought those.
Speaker 5: We were thankful with those residual checks. It was it was good.
Speaker 1: What you said, unbelievable and one of my favorite things that And I remember watching it and thinking, wait a minute, who is that? Wait a minute, Oh my gosh, Oh that's Jody because you were in Barbie. Yes, that was come on so fun.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, I mean really just dropped from heaven for me. It was after Mermaid and kind of got a call from the agent that just said, hey, Toy Story, here we go, Toy Story two. Barbie wasn't in Toy Story one because Mattel at the time was like, no, we're not going to do a movie, We're not going to be in a Disney cartoon, pix Our cartoon. And then all of a sudden, Toy Story took off and then Mittel was like, wait a minute, I.
Speaker 2: Think we hold on.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so then yeah, Barbie joined in. I did not audition for that, and so when I got to the studio, it was kind of like, what do you want me to do? And they're like, well, we're going to play with a box of Barbies. So that's what we did for the first hour, is we just pulled out this box of Barbie's and all of us just started talking to each other, holding them and playing with them. And then they were like, that's it, that's it, we're gonna we're gonna roll with that. And we just wanted writing lines and I'd throw something out and then the directors would and then we'd all just kind of like it was play. We just wow, it was really fun.
Speaker 2: So you just improved tons of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, especially all the time you'd.
Speaker 3: Already voiced Bobby before that though, right.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, that's very funny that you even know that, because it's kind of a you got to do a deep dive into the internet. But when the executives for Mattel, it was a female executive at the time, came to the studio while I was doing Toy Story two, and I walked into the room and I met her and she said, you don't understand this is this is a really important day. This is the very first time that we have ever allowed Barbie to have a voice. And I just kind of had to look at her very kindly and say, I'm so sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful.
Speaker 6: At all, but I actually did the Clay Nation Barbie workout video a couple of years ago and gave Barbie her very very first voice.
Speaker 5: So the Metallic executive didn't know that. Wow the deep dive for that VHS. So, yeah, she's workout. It's a workout Barbie.
Speaker 1: So is this a take off from Jane Fonda's workout? And remember that I'm showing my age. You were five years old or three. But uh okay, silly.
Speaker 5: So silly. So yeah. So then the executive was kind of like, oh, you know, disheveled, I think at the moment, and all of the Pixar and our staff they didn't realize it either. They're like, so you've already voiced Barbie. You gave her her first voice. I'm like, yeah, yeah, is that going to be a problem, And they're like, no, no, no, it'll be fine, it'll be fine. So after two, then when three came out, you know, Barbie became more than just tour guide Barbie real person and kind of the hero of the day with everything, So it was super fun.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, that is so cool. What an iconic character.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how the universe works that way, in the sense that you voiced Bobby so long before that, and all of a sudden he randomly pitched you to do Bobby again.
Speaker 5: I know, and it was I truly. I mean I didn't asked. When I got to work that day, the first day of the session, I was like, why are you hiring me? I didn't even audition for this. Well, we we heard you as Ariel, and we knew that Barbie was in there somewhere.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, yeah, all right, you bet she is. Bobby's here now, partner.
Speaker 5: Oh man, it was. It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun. And unfortunately Michael Keaton was really really sick. So we were supposed to report one day. I was going to ask you, Bob, and you know, I got to the lot and he was stepping out, I thought, on his break and I was coming in. So I was really excited because we hadn't done any of our stuff together yet. I've been by myself. I've oh, this will be so much fun. And so I walk in and he looks at me and he's got a mask on. And this is obviously before mask time and he's like, don't come near me. I have I'm very very sick. I'm so sorry. I'm going home and I'm going to bed. And I was like nice to me.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 5: He just walked out and I never saw him again until our day of press and we reintroduced myself. Hi, I'm Jody. I played Barbie High. And then we start acting, you know, doing all your press stuff in the studio. Oh yeah, best friends and you've done this forever.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, Philly. That's when the real acting comes in. Remember that one time when we weren't there, me too, I'm not there again.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I had these I had on these heels, and I did not realize that that Michael was, you know, a little shorter than you than I was, which is not a problem, not a problem at all. But I think when we were in the studio and we were doing all this press and publicity, I noticed that he was on his tiptoes a little bit. So I kind of like took my shoes off and I kind of like tried to squat down a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, my wife does that because.
Speaker 5: Because I you know, I felt so bad. I felt so bad. Yeah, so I was like, I could see that he was a little sensitive about needing to get next to me and then putting his arm around me and making sure that he was kind of like pressing up, you know, to just get that stature going. I was very sensitive about that with him.
Speaker 1: I know that that's what screwed up your collaboration with Prince, is what I understand. It was the same similar situation.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, yeah, very WHI It was fun.
Speaker 1: It was great, great, great, good good stuff, and you're out there on the convention circuit as well, and it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 5: It has been. I kind of held off on those for about ten years because I homeschool We live in North Georgia. I'm up at the lake right now where I'm at and homeschooled both of the kids for seventeen years and now they are twenty three and twenty five. So my girlfriend, Paige O'Hara, who plays the voice of Bell, started doing them and she's like, come on, come on. I'm like, no, I'm homeschooling and I'm working on the weekends. It's crazy. I just can't. She goes, well, I think it'll be a really good thing for you. To do when kids go off to college. This is going to be a great thing, and so I did. I did my first one in twenty seventeen, and I just did a handful that year and they were a lot of fun. Really, yeah, just gone to the weekend. It was very helpful for sure financially during college years, which was wonderful. And then after COVID is when it got really crazy. So like last sure it was forty trips I think last year, and the year before that was like thirty five.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it was blood really really crazy, but lots and lots of fun, you know, just lovely, lovely, lovely fans, and I'm very thankful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, one of my favorite things is when we were at D twenty three a while back and I just lucked out and I was on there were surrounded by princesses and royalty. I was like the cheeseburger in Paradise, and I had just enough connection to each of you to sneak into all the pictures. So it's like all these fabulous, wonderful actresses and me, you know, I'm sitting there like, oh it was fun.
Speaker 5: We did that one convention with you and I think we were down in Florida and it was during the strike. It was you with all five or six of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, we had so much fun.
Speaker 5: That's the one all the girls and then Jim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like that was the original cheeseburger in Paradise. I'm telling it was fun.
Speaker 2: That was good stuff.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast. Do it Now? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Now, how long When did you start with the company, Jim? I feel like we were around the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, my very first job was for Dumbo's Circus, which was Disney Channel, and that was before streaming and everything. In fact, cable was was brand new. So yeah, and I and I played basically well, I was lying all the lion because they couldn't have, you know, a life size mouse. It was Timothy from Dumbo. That's who I was, you know, the little bit.
Speaker 7: Of guy and that was Stumbo's pal.
Speaker 5: And so what year what year was that? When you what's your higher date? I forgot.
Speaker 1: I want to say eighty four, eighty four and a half, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because I think my higher date was eighty six, and I think my first studio date was eighty seven. I feel like, yeah, yeah, nice fun Wow.
Speaker 1: I know for a long time. Yes, yes, but you know, I'd rather, you know, have a ton of birthdays than one funeral. So see, still going, still.
Speaker 5: Going strong, and we're still faithful that we have the jobs, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh absolutely. And I was looking at your IMDb and there are things that I just I did not I did not know, and.
Speaker 5: You I don't know my own career. I don't know him until somebody says to look at IMDb and they'll be like, like, I have no recollection, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Well, I bet you remember getting a Tony.
Speaker 5: Well I didn't get a Tony. I got nominated. And I do remember that night.
Speaker 1: The Internet says, received that's okay. You don't want to, Yeah, you don't want to, says I want it says I obliterated the competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: That was me.
Speaker 5: I remember that. Yes, yeah, I want an Oscar, you know, be like she's in an Oscar winning movie. I heard you won an Oscar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my film did.
Speaker 5: But hey, I'm going to take it. I'm part of it.
Speaker 2: Right, But it was Oscar the Grouch. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: See the wrong Oscar, the wrong one. The Helen Has Award too, right was in there?
Speaker 5: Yes, no, I think did I win that or did I get Yes.
Speaker 2: You did.
Speaker 1: I don't think I wonk nutche nuts. But yeah she won. Everybody.
Speaker 5: We could just tell you whatever we want and you have to believe it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: It was yeah, crazy for you. It was an incredible experience. Incredible And to do that show eight times a week with the grocery music and dancing my little tushy off every day, I loved it. I had so much fun. It was a wonderful, wonderful season. So but after, you know, after that show, my husband and I did another Broadway tour in Europe together and my one and only. But then it was time to get to LA and do full time with the studio and start a family. And you know, the seasons were perfect. Living in New York for twenty six years was perfect. Moving to la having the kids there, living there for eight years, five minutes from the studio was heaven. But then, you know, once we were able to work and record from anywhere, and that kind of all changed in two thousand and three, four and five, and we could leave the studio and keep our jobs. We decided to move up here to North Georgia, to Lake Lanier, the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and kind of do a small town feel for our kids.
Speaker 1: And that's beautiful.
Speaker 5: Got an airport, you know, an hour away. We've got a studio here, but we have a sister's studio for Disney is just about I don't know, fifty minutes away that i've been at for nineteen years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I've got my same end engineer I've been with for nineteen years and he's great.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: So it's been it's been really it's been really great. It's been great to raise the kids here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Mars ain't the place to raise the kids, so you moved there instead.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful. Good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, fun and I didn't know that you had. I'm reading my notes here in a year, so fascinating notes about her notes. I do, I do, and let's see we've got smile and welcome to the club. And I think we covered Helen Hayes Award, which is bloody awesome.
Speaker 5: You didn't win, Yes, you did have one.
Speaker 1: Well, I say you won, and uh, what A're gonna do?
Speaker 2: Call us up? No, they can't do it.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know you had anything with Batman beyond who were you?
Speaker 5: I know, I know it's a good one. Yeah, it was fun. It was fun. I got to be I don't know who was I aqua girl something like that. She kind of had a blue face and white hair. But again, it's like during those times when you're jumping in on this and jumping in on that, I wouldn't remember. But then people come to you at conventions, are they, oh, could you please sign this?
Speaker 1: Someway?
Speaker 5: Am I in that? I mean, are you sure they know?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know they know, they know.
Speaker 5: They don't it's bad. But again too, that's like that's during the time of having two babies at home and nursing and starting to homeschool that my brain was just I don't really remember a lot of those years as far as work goes, I remember everything with the kids, but I would just go down to Disney Character Voices and that's when you know Brian Monroe who runs the ship. Now, Brian was answering phones and he was babysitting my kids for me while I was in the studio.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: So they had all the toys set up. So he's like, I got a toy set up. I've got them. You run in, you run up. So he had both of my little ones. He was answering phones and entertaining. Yeah, and now he's the big cheese for Disney character voices.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: You have a lot of laughs thinking about those days.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, yeah, I agree. Yeah, that's good stuff. I mean those are all like golden years for me. I just you know, watching Disney in their own way, not that we're ever worried about them, but taking off in different directions. And you know, like with the park and I get to do this crazy Hondo guy for the park, and there's all these opportunities that are there now that we're never there before, not the least of which are these conventions. Yes, you know, and I love going there and I'm sure you get the tear jerkers that.
Speaker 2: The ones that just come up and I.
Speaker 7: Can't believe it talking Ariel.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you keep it a box of Kleenex right next to me. I have a lot of criers. Do you have a lot of criers? I'm sure, just a lot in their thirties and forties and then two or three generations. Now sometimes we'll have four generations of families that have grown up and you know, love area, which is just so sweet. But you know, I'm just so thankful.
Speaker 1: I'm some people.
Speaker 5: I know you are too. We've talked about this before, but you know, it's not a job. It's just it's a big part of our life. For people that meet you that you are a part excuse my pun, part of their world, but you really are part of their story and the impact that these characters make on them is just mind blowing.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 5: I know you have these same types of things. But I have a huge following in the lgbtqia plus community where people find their voice and find the identity. So I have so so many wonderful fans in that particular community. But also I have a huge community on the spectrum, huge community. Yeah, God bless and any type of able, any challenges, yes, So you know, we have our quadriplegiates, paraplegics are wheelchair friends and with the autistic community. It blows my mind that they can relate to Ariel who gave up her voice, but they have learned how to speak by watching our film and they know every word more than I do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've had people say that.
Speaker 5: So it's just so heart warming that it's it's such a huge responsibility. And so when people say to me like, oh, aren't you tired of doing Aeriel and singing this song every week? And aren't you tired of talking to people about the film, I'm like no, because you have no clue as to what these characters mean to people. And the imagery, yeah, is huge, Like they find their identity, like their value, and they find their voice. And those are the people and the stories that I that we all get to hear every weekend that really shake your world and just you feel so thankful and so grateful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it fills me with gratitude, which is a necessary component for happiness. Yes, you know, there's no doubt about that. And when you when you hear these stories from the people that you know, latch Key kids who had to come home and lock the door and run in, and they'll turn on dark winged Duck or Chippendale Risky Rangers for that, and they'll say, well, you kind of raised me. You kind of you were a protective aura around me because I could go to the hundred Acre Wood or Saint Gernard right and escape the what was outside my door. Absolutely, and uh, and it's just it's an honor. It's it is really an honor.
Speaker 5: That's absolutely right. It's it's an honor. It's a blessing, it's a gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a privilege.
Speaker 5: And you know, I know you're the same way I am. That we we don't ever take it for granted, you know, we really don't. It matters, you know, it matters to us.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it does. And their feelings mean everything, you know, right, you see those little faces light up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just love it.
Speaker 4: I have a question for you, Jody, sure, Do you have a preference between acting on stage and voice acting?
Speaker 5: No? I really don't. You know, it's sort of like your children, Like you love all your children equally. I love every aspect of what I get to do. I love to be in the studio. I love to do concerts with symphonies. I love to do theater pieces. And now that my kids have grown and left home and have their own careers, I put my foot back in the water for musical theater about a year and a half ago and just ignited that eight year old little girl inside of me about what my first love was, which is to be on stage to do these characters. So I was able to do Gypsy with my daughter playing my daughter. Oh that was, oh my god, incredible.
Speaker 2: I think it was crazy.
Speaker 5: I think we're the first mother real mother daughter that had played that, have played Rose and Louise. I don't think there's another one that's ever done that. That was magical. We had such an amazing time. Then this year in Orlando at the gorgeous Doctor Phillips Center at Steinman's Hall, which is like the best sound system in the world, best place to sing in the world. Oh my goodness, I did Hello Dolly, So I did Dolly in that.
Speaker 1: Really that was magical.
Speaker 5: And then it's January and February my daughter and I are going to touch on to Gypsy again and play mother daughter again in New York. So I'm excited about that. It'll be fun, It'll be fun. To. I'm just going to take advantage of these opportunities because I don't know if I'll ever have again, and as long as I'm healthy and I'm strong and i can still do what I need to do up on stage, that that really is a lovely, lovely experience to pull out of the hat of my career that I hadn't done in over twenty years, I think, to answer your question, they're all equally enjoyable, fulfilling and magical, and I don't have a favorite. Whatever I'm doing at the time is my favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And naturally people ask me that.
Speaker 5: It is like when I'm in the studio and I'm in it and I'm all in. I'm having the time of my life, you know, and then I leave and then like, I'm working on music for a concert in North Carolina and I can't wait. I can't wait to put on a gown and sing gorgeous music. And that's really different because you don't have a script and I just get to work with the audience and have a lot of wow beating off of them, which is very different than going to do gypsy or another musical.
Speaker 1: It's like an improv sort of no it's just when I do symphony concerts, I don't have a script and I just get to do whatever I want.
Speaker 5: So I have a song list, but talking in between with the audience is something I really enjoy, you know, just kind of filling them in, doing a little story, telling them about the song and what it means and my relationship to the particular song. But then again, you feed off of the audience live and I love that. I love that part.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's what first. I think, that's what draws everybody to this business and as children or whenever you started, because I was in place as a little kid, and I thought, oh, well this is if I could do this well enough that somebody will pay me, Okay, I'm in. You know, I don't want to go to law school. I wanted to be an attorney up till like second grade, which is really weird.
Speaker 5: But I went to college for law. That's what I that's what I was studying, was pre law. Wo and I had done an audition, this random audition my freshman Christmas break, and the girl broke her ankle and I flew out to LA and did a show and that was that Wow. Yeah, you know, I was going to be a lawyer. Was that was sort of my love. But you know, a different path opened up. And I loved singing when I was little, and loved singing at church. That was so much fun. My sister and I sang together at church nine and just always had a love for that and theater. But it wasn't really until I got into college. I was like, oh wow, I think I'm gonna check this out, see what this is all about.
Speaker 1: So true? Well, I've always said, you know, my niece's nephews, whoever, if you make a list of things that you love doing so much, you do them for free all day, then do them so well that somebody.
Speaker 2: Will pay you. That's it.
Speaker 1: You're there. That's that's as close as it gets to you know, career and happiness and you know, edification in their universe saying okay, you could do that. You know, that's the way it felt like to me.
Speaker 5: It's that sweet spot between your passion, your natural giftedness and your talents and your gifts that you're born with and then being able to pay your bills.
Speaker 1: That's always a good circle.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, because when I do master classes with college, high school and college kids. And that's the thing we kind of talk about. I said, you know, I think that you have to have a natural gift set. You have to have something inside of you naturally. It's very hard to learn how to sing. You can improve in singing, and you can strengthen your singing, but if somebody is tone deaf and they say to me, I want to be a singer, it's really difficult. It's really really difficult.
Speaker 4: So what's your response in that situation?
Speaker 5: What I say to them is that each person has a skill set, a natural giftedness towards something some things, it can be many things, but unearthing and figuring out what that is and then honing that craft and really strengthening that craft, that's the gift. But what happens is we're in such a compare and compete society thanks to social media. Social media is great in so many amazing ways, and then in some other ways it's not so great. But the compare and compete is so hard because we live what I call in an American idol world where you get your fifteen minutes of fame and everybody's a star, and everybody wants to be a star, but not everybody is naturally gifted to be able to sing or to act, or I'm not naturally gifted to be a CPA or a math teacher. But we want what other people are. It's like, we want that. So when kids say to me, but I want to be a star, I want to be a singer, I want to be on Broadway, And I'll say, so, tell me what your natural gift set is. Well, they'll be like, well, I can't really sing, I'm not really a good actor, and my dancing stinks.
Speaker 1: Oh perfect.
Speaker 5: I kind of think, well, okay, you're a producer, triple threat in the other direction, so let's take a look at that. But why do you want that? That's my question is why do you want something that you're not naturally going in that direction? And it's because so and so has it that that person is that and that one. I'm like, there's where we have a problem because we want what somebody else has, And then we forget about who we are and figure out an unearth and really like excavate all these incredible gifts that you have inside of you. You know, you get to be your best version of you me there's already one of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, advice, your best.
Speaker 5: Version of who you are. And that's challenging for kids, especially that they really want these dreams. And you want every kid to reach for their dreams and their goals and their wishes. Everybody. We want that, we want everybody to go for it. But I also think you have to have a natural, full skill set. You gotta have something. You got to have something inside of you to build on. So I was born with my voice. I came out of the roomb with my voice. I can strengthen it, improve it, expand it.
Speaker 1: And did you just walk around the house singing, singing and everything?
Speaker 5: And but I but I was born with my voice. It came in my package.
Speaker 2: You know, it just came with me literally.
Speaker 5: Just like other people who are natural artists or sculptors, or people that are brilliant with again with numbers or science or investigative research, all these things that they're naturally gifted in. It's like, go on that stick, on that journey and see where.
Speaker 4: That's Can I play Devil's Advocate here?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned in family today at Patreon dot com, slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 4: Do it now, because there's a lot of famous and you know, people in the media that don't necessarily have the most amazing skill set. You know, it's not like they were the ultimate most talented person for that job. You know, there's a lot of other factors that comes into becoming a star or you know, even becoming recognized. So maybe somebody who's not born with that package that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be a star. So how do you how do you? You know, right, bounce, I.
Speaker 5: Totally hear what you say. For me, my question is why do you want to be a star? See? I never wanted to be a star. I was very clear when I was eight years old. I remember telling my mother, I want to be an actress. I want to sing, dance and act. I want to be a working actress. I don't want to be famous, I don't want to be rich, and I don't need to be a star. I wanted to do what I wanted to do because I loved doing it, and it was like passion, like I had to express myself this way or I was going to bust. That's the only way I could describe it.
Speaker 2: No, I agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's the difference when somebody says it to me, and they say it often. I'm doing a masterclass in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure one of them is going to say this to me. I want to be famous and I want to be a star. And my question to you is why why.
Speaker 1: That's a great point.
Speaker 5: You need the validation, you want the applause, you want to feel better about yourself. Well, let me tell you something that stardom, it doesn't last. And you can talk to stars, stars, most of them are kind.
Speaker 1: Of miss Yeah. Agree.
Speaker 5: I think they're kind of unhappy. I think they're kind of miserable. I really do. I'm not going to say everybody, but I'm going to say I think there's a pretty good percentage of celebrity stars if you ask them, I don't think they're happy for me. It's kind of like trying to encourage a child, and I say child, they're under twenty two. They're all children's right, they're stud that frontal lobe for you. Boys didn't even close up until you're twenty five, So they're all kids to me. But that's the deeper issue that I want to look at. You know, I want you to ask yourself, why do you want to be a famous and be a star? Does that mean money in your pocket? Does it mean people are going to like you, You're going to get a date? What does that mean? So we have we kind of go a little bit deeper than just a regular masterclass. Let's talk about voice, because you kind of just want to encourage some body to get down a path that brings fulfillment and purpose and enjoy and wanting to share your gifts with others, whatever those gifts may be.
Speaker 1: You know, well, so I don't know, this.
Speaker 5: Is my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's perfect. That's good advice. And plus, if you're you know, if you do something that you enjoy, tho's chances are that somebody else will. Yeah, so you maybe you could sell that, you know, that's kind of what we're doing.
Speaker 2: You know, no God would.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we still we still, we still have our jobs and we're so thankful.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I wanted to ask you, Jody, I saw a video on YouTube this week. Have you ever seen the video of how it actually directing you in the studio for part of your World? Yeah, isn't one of the most amazing videos ever.
Speaker 5: It is. You know. I had not one, but two opportunities to work with him. He was my director for Smile, my first leading role on Broadway, not my first Broadway show, but my first starring role on Broadway. And he was my director and my lyricist, and he was just a genius. And then I booked Mermaid. When our show closed after six weeks, we got killed by Frank Rich of the New York Times, and it was Martin Hamlished, and of course he had just done a chorus line. And our show was supposed to run forever. I mean, we were supposed to be in this show forever. And it was six weeks and he Howard was already doing Mermaid with Jeffrey Katzenberg, Michael Eisner, and Peter Schneider. He was already working with Ron and John and he felt sorry for us, so he invited a handful of us girls to audition for Ariel. And as I say on the concert stage, it gave me something to do on the way to the unemployment office, which it did. So I just went to this audition to have something to do because we were so depressed. So never in a million years would I get it. I've never been behind a mic, I'd never done animation, I'd never done voiceover. I didn't know what I was doing. And like a year later, I get a call and I got it, and I couldn't believe it. I'm sorry, there's like a fly in here. And but the saving grace for me was that Howard was going to be there. So when I walked in the first day, I just went straight to him. I said, Howard, I don't know why I got this job. I don't know how I got this job. And I am not qualified. I don't know why no doing it. And He's like, Jodie, I've got.
Speaker 1: You, deep breath, You're going to be fine.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not. I am freaking out all of these people in the room. And of course we didn't know that well. We knew that the animators had moved off the lot at that time on Flower Street and Glendale and they were in their little temporary housing. I mean, things were rough. Things were real rough and all of the executives were our sessions. It was like, what is happening? This is like intense. But I just told Howard I don't know what I'm doing. He's like, I've got you. I've got you. So that video is everything. Because he stood next to me for two and a half weeks in every session in the studio booth with me silent off the mic. I never knew. They never picked up his breathing nothing. I never had to do a pass again because he was standing right here, you know. But to have him, I mean, he fed me every line. And Ron and John are directors. They let Howard take me. Ron and John were like, she's yours. You bet.
Speaker 2: They're the greatest guys director director.
Speaker 5: And they had no ego about it whatsoever. They'd come on the mic and say a few things and then Howard would interpret it, and Howard would give me the note and then I did it. So I was just I just did everything that he told me to do. So I tell people anything that you love about Ariel, and you love about the song, and you love about the character, you love Howard because that's him. I mean, he's Ariel. I just like imitated him and then just sort of like jumped on the back of what he had already created.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: So you know, the legacy for me, like when people say, aren't you tired of singing part of your world every week? And I'm like, are you kidding? Every time I sing that song, I pay tribute to Howard and I remind you all in the audience that Howard's legacy matters and it's important and we need to remember. This man pretty much saved the studio. He brought the Broadway musical and he insisted on bringing Alan Menkin. That was the deal. That was a deal breaker. It's like Alan comes, or this isn't happening. So he brings his partner with him, you know, and they change animation and we have our renaissance on our second Golden Agent of animation, and the all the animators came back to the lot. I mean, it was just crazy times.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 3: This law of intense intensity is better than enormous. When he was directing you, I love that.
Speaker 5: One because I just kept singing like I was filling a Broadway theater and he'd say, you are not singing on the stage. At the lun Fontaine. We are not this is it. You're singing right here. This is as far as you're gonna see. Now, you're gonna speak. You're gonna speak. I'm gonna speak a song. He's like, Yeah, you're gonna whisper. You're gonna whisper. We're gonna try a whisper. Now, I'm like, why do which song?
Speaker 2: Which part of your world part?
Speaker 5: I speak it, I whisper it. I sing some notes I don't really Some notes are flat, some notes are great. But it was it was a crazy chaos that was perfect for what they wanted for Areal.
Speaker 1: That's that's interesting.
Speaker 5: It was. It was really fair. It was a fascinating process. It was very very very very hard for me to transition from a live stage Broadway musical to a microphone. Oh my gosh. And I'm Italian. So it was a lot of this yeah, and then it was a lot of Jody, we gotta do that again, honey, put your hands down. You can't hit the microphone. Oh did I hit the microphone. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Okay, back away up, Okay, we're gonna have to tire ourselves.
Speaker 1: If you don't, I have a story like that with Carol Channing. She did a Chipadale Rescue Rangers and she was I was Monterey Jack and she was my girlfriend, Carol Channing. And she comes to the studio wearing just practically a drum set on each wrist, you know, like a trap. Said there were cymbals and ratchets and just you know, all these beads and all the and Warren says to Worth, the guy back at B and B if you remember that, he.
Speaker 2: Said, I'm sorry, he's Channing.
Speaker 1: You can't move, No, sweetie, I have to move. This is how I work.
Speaker 7: I just I have to be all over the place.
Speaker 1: And so she says, but it's well, your your blouse is very starched, and it's very you know, and he finally solved the wrist thing. She goes, no problem, and she's an up and takes off her blouse and there she stands with about five pounds of cotton under each strap and she's going day, She's marvelous, she's great. She she's p pure freedom. And I remember looking up more in the engineer because he brought his little video camera into tail takes a bit and he just looks at it, looks at her and I better not do that, Yeah, better not do that.
Speaker 5: Well, the guys had a they had like a little blackmail on me. They had I don't think you can say that word. I'm sorry, that's not appropriate, but they had they had something on me. And towards the end of the of the sessions, I was I don't know, I was doing something and they were like, just remember, we have a burp track on you, Jody, we have a burp track. And I'm like, you have a what? They had been taping recording all of my burps. I had a lot of birth problems, A lot.
Speaker 1: Of problems everybody.
Speaker 5: I take too much Aaron when I was singing, and then I wouldn't expel it correctly and then this huge burth would come out what I thought was in between each take needs us to say. They kept it running, So that's there.
Speaker 3: Somewhere at Disney was a special fare on the day a day. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, oh, yeah, I don't know where that is, but it's somewhere. I'm sure. I'm sure how Howard Green could find it?
Speaker 1: He can, That's true, that's true. He would know, wouldn'ty Oh my god, that's funny. Oh my gosh, well, I'm sure there's you know I I did. I was task on the task Mania show, and he always had to burp, and so.
Speaker 2: They would.
Speaker 1: We had a signal because I can't really do a monstrous burp on command.
Speaker 2: Just can't do that.
Speaker 1: So we had a signal and and I was sitting there and I was sipping my coke. DrAk. Okay, a little more bubble, a little more bubble. Oh here comes to good. But and I go like this, and everybody shuts up, and only my MIC's on it, you know, just some thunderous you know.
Speaker 2: And I go, okay, okay, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Those are good ones, and you want those because those are the real ones, you know. Yeah, Because then when they say, okay, now we're gonna do I'm like, well, I can't do it like that.
Speaker 2: Murice LaMarsh.
Speaker 1: He's got a fake purp that he can do on command, and it sounds like an earthquake.
Speaker 5: Awesome. I'm jealous.
Speaker 1: He shows up on this sphincter scale, I'm pretty sure, you know. So it's not a pretty sight. You don't want to look at him while he's doing it, but it's pretty damn funny. Oh, Man Amen, And you know I was reading too that you did. We talk about Batman Beyond and Lady in the Tramp.
Speaker 5: Yes, Lady the Tramp was super. That was funny because Rick Dempsey at the time, he was in charge of Disney character voices. So when that came out, When when this audition came out, my agent had had called and said, you know, could could Jody audition for Lady And they're like, oh, no, no, no, Jody's Aeriel and Jody's going to be Ariel and that's great. And my agent was like, well, I think she can do other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's OK.
Speaker 5: And they're like and they're like, no, no, no. So I went into the studio without anybody knowing and just me and my engineer and my agent she knew, and I laid down a Lady sound alike to Barbara Lutty, like I don't know, maybe a dozen lines and some singing or something. Maybe I did something else. Yeah, I think I did some singing as well. And so my agent sent that anonymously without a name attack and she was very sneaky about it and just said, you know, I've got this client kind of new and just take a listen and of course they were like, oh, well that's like an exact match, So yeah, that that sounds good. Let's let's let's let's bring her in. And then she told them and they were like, oh, you got us, you got it. We laugh, we laughed. So yeah, it was kind of like against what they had wanted, but then then it was fun.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun, but it was what you wanted, so that's good.
Speaker 5: Well, I just said, you know, I just want to throw it out there and just put me in the pot, you know, mix it up and see what happens. I mean, if it's the right match, then that's great. If it's not, then no big deal. But let me just throw it up. But they were like, no, no, no, no, that's that's Ariel. She's Ariel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was really fun.
Speaker 5: That was fun to do something that was different, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I know I've lost maybe one or two jobs because no, he's a Disney guy. Okay, I mean there are worse things to be right, right, right, I'll take that every time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's a flaw. Okay, yes, yes, if that's a negative, I'll take it. I can limit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Amen, Hey, Jody, you were touching on earlier how little moment essentially saved Disney the animation side of things. And you've talked about how you were very relaxed during it because you know, you said the suits were watching, but you said you didn't realize how much pressure was put on the film. Do you think do you think they deliberately held that information from you so they could get the aerial that they wanted because or do you think you still would have been able to deliver what they wanted had you known that pressure was there.
Speaker 5: That's interesting, you know what, I don't really know the answer to that. I think they kept everything pretty hush hush the cast, but again, we were going to be the way that kind of Walt had designed it, which was we would remain anonymous. No one was going to know who we were. When the vhs would come out. You could freeze the frame, but it's just rolling the credits. So we were told that upfront. So both Sam and I Sam Wright, who played Sebastian, we were both doing a Broadway show while we were recording. He was afraid to fly, so he had to train back and forth, but I would fly back and forth. So we never told anybody that we were doing it and everything was just going to be sort of quiet and hidden and no one would know, and that's fine, and you just go back and do your Broadway show. So I never talked about it or anything. And I think that was kind of the feeling when we were there, when I looked around and saw all these people. I didn't know what that meant because I'd never done it before. So no one really said anything to me about out this kind of pressure. I did not really know anything about that. I did think it was interesting that my animators were not on the lot, because I knew they used to be and they were here now, and I thought, oh, I kind of knew about those other films that were right in front of ours that things were a little bit challenging. But I had no idea that everything was writing on this film. So they did a nice job of not expressing that to us, which I think is probably was the best way to handle it, especially somebody like me, who was so seriously right. I didn't need anything more than I got to try to do this job that I don't feel qualified for. So I think, you know, if anybody would have said something, I think Howard would have kind of stepped in to say, we got to focus on we got to get this job done. You know, with her, we don't need any of this other stuff going on. So yeah, and that was just so great to have him there. It was just so great. I'm so thankful.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast Do It Now.
Speaker 3: As someone who didn't want fame, how did you handle suddenly having it?
Speaker 5: Well, it was pretty weird because we, again, we were not expecting it, and all of a sudden in September, I got a call from my agent going you're going on a press tour. I'm like, oh what, and they're like, yeah, you're going on a press tour. You're doing twenty two cities in twenty days, so get packed. I'm like to do what and they're like, to advertise the film. I'm like wait, wait, wait wait, wait, so they're going to tell them who I am. Yeah, they're going a whole different way. They're going a whole different way. They're going to reveal who you are. And I was like, whoa, okay, yeah that was That was a big turn of events. That was like a big turn to the laugh that I had no idea. So life changed very quickly. And when that film came out, it was like crazy town at that point. And again we weren't none of us were expecting it. It wasn't part of the plan at all. It was all lovely, lovely, lovely surprises, but it was it was a little bit scary. It was a little bit scary because I thought, what's my life like now? And I'm in New York and I'm doing theater. Now, what's happening out here? And people are asking to do these things? Well, what's happening? So it was, it was. It was a big shift, that's for sure, but a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, all great stuff. I mean, it was so magical and so exciting, but quite startling, especially when you weren't prepared for it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Well you're prepared now, that's for sure. Next, that's wonderful, and I'm happy to say that I got to be your dad.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 2: The third one, I know, all right, I have to say it, Ariel Okay, I feel better now.
Speaker 5: It was perfect.
Speaker 2: I just had to get that out of me.
Speaker 5: It's so wonderful. Yes, you're you're my dad. Well, I can't wait to say that you're my daddy.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, yeah, yeah, that doesn't sound nice. Yeah, but I liked the shoulder input there. That helped. That helped sell it my daddy. Okay, yeah that works.
Speaker 5: Just to clarify everybody, he is King Triton now.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, Yes.
Speaker 5: All right, yes that was That's really sweet though. Boy Ken Mars, he was so scary. He was so nice and so sweet, just like Pat, so nice, so sweet, laughing, laughing, laughing makes you laugh all the time, and Pat would make me laugh all the time. But then we were recording together with plexiglass. We did because of Howard. We did our whole experience like a Broadway show. So we all did a big read through together, we did a sing through together, and then we started recording together with plexiglass between us, which I've never gotten to do since I've been by myself ever since that movie. But to be able to record together, and both Ken and Pat so funny, so nice, so jovial, so loving when they get behind the microphone. Oh my gosh, he made me cry. He made me cry. He was so scary, and Pat was frightening and just oh my gosh. And then for my character Vanessa, where I've become her and she had to teach me how to do her cackle and I had to imitate her. We had so much fun. But they both were very scary when the mics were on, and then the mic would be awful. They'd be like and I'd be like, a both, oh wow, He's like, I made you cry. I'm like, yes, you made me cry. You made me really cry. You screamed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do that again.
Speaker 5: I know. But they were both so so so sweet, both so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I remember. I think it was Alan Venkman right, and uh no, wait am I saying his name?
Speaker 2: Menkan Veankman.
Speaker 1: That's the guy from the Ghostbusters forgot never mind, but his twin brother, you know. But I always always love when my character gets to sing. It just kicks it up like way, not just for me, well.
Speaker 5: You and you you're an amazing singer. You're an amazing blucialist, of course, and you know a man of a million voices, of a million voices, is that you can sing on top of that in all of those variety of characters, which is so amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: But that's that was one of my favorite things about Pocahontas. I wasn't even really in the movie. In the movie, but I just sang for uh, well, I was palatant. Yes, the river cuts is bad and it was such a beautiful song. And I'm sure you're the same. If there's all of a sudden, wait, there's a song you have to sing, you have to and it's like, oh okay, I mean please, yeah, and they Randy Newman ended up writing a song uh for Princess and the Frog. When he heard that, Ray sang good and uh that just yeah. I don't think I've ever spoken about that, but here's those good times any but it was just so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so special.
Speaker 2: Yay, it good stuff.
Speaker 1: Have you ever worked with Randy Newman?
Speaker 5: I have not. He was on Toy Story one, two M three, I think, yeah, but I only saw him at the opening carpet person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got any relationship getting to me, but I did get to meet him method opening. Well, that's good, great guy. It was fun crazy.
Speaker 3: I think the importance of that Bobby performance too, was that you didn't mock Bobby Ada.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was super important. It was really important to me. But it was also important to the team that we don't make fun of her and that she is something more than a plastic figure. And that's why, you know, she's super smart. She's really smart, and I love that we got to delve into that in number three. We got to delve into her brilliance and the plan that she comes up with, and you know, so I loved that we could kind of take her in a different way. It was It was really a great challenge, I think to tackle that character and give her some depth and give her some substance, give her, give her a lot of value. It was fun in the studio though, because of her restrictions, her physical restrictions, especially with her arms that you know, I made sure while I was recording, I always stand up. I'm always impressed when people can sit down when they record. I can't. I have to stand up, and I because I guess a theater background, I've got to physically act everything out and real in reality for me. So yes, everything was definitely locked, locked and loaded. Who with the arms?
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It just kind of helped me to sort of get into her skin and kind of figure out who she is. But I yes, I do love that we were We were able to show her her smart, wonderful, brilliant brain.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And rightly, so, Jim, you're the same. You become the character when you voice them too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Yeah, I don't know any other way.
Speaker 5: I don't either. I don't think there's another way to make them real otherwise you're just reciting lines, right. And it's funny because like back then, we didn't have like I mean, we had walkmans. There'd be walkmans of the animators that be recording us, and maybe some video cameras and things. But of course now it's so high tech with everything. You know, they want to videotape every session and every zoom and every this and every that, and I'm like, yeah, that's really great, but you know, I'm kind of doing some crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, it.
Speaker 5: Kind of takes away Like Carol was saying is that you feel very, very free in the studio, much more so than you do on stage when people are staring at you. So when you're in the studio and I know you feel the same way, I kind of let it all go. I let it all go, and I don't stop and think about what a fool I look like. I'm looking ridiculous. I'm making weird faces and I'm doing weird contortions and this and that. But it's where I got to go to make it, make it happen. And every once in a while, I'll be like, ah, dang it, this is this is all being recorded, like this is all visually being seen because I do a lot of this with my eyes closed. And I mean, I probably like I look weird. Thing to think about, like, she whiz, what are you doing with all that tape? What are you doing with all that video? Because it's not pretty. It's definitely not looking good.
Speaker 1: I remember they took video of me and Princess and the Frog and I was playing Ray and I was thinking, please tell me you didn't design him to look like me, because he's, I mean, I love him, not the best looking guy on the block. So it's like, please tell me you use some imagination that hi.
Speaker 5: Ouch, But I think, you know, it's kind of like being a kid in a candy store or a kid in a sandbox, where you sort of have to remove everybody else from the equation. I can't really think about all the people, especially during Mermaid, all the people behind the glass, because the second you think about that changes your performance and you start to edit. Yeah, oh oh, you know, you change, as opposed to when Howard's just like, don't look at them, don't think about them behind the glass. They're not even there. We're going to turn the lights down. We're going to turn the lights down. You're not even to be able to see that. I'm like, okay, I think I think that's a good idea. I think just make it black, that'll be great. Then I don't think about them all staring at me, and then I start to change my performance, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know I've noted that as well. And oftentimes, you know, if you're doing a phone patch or something over you know, like we're doing here today, there'll be just an engineer in there in the recording booth. And that's fine, which is not a problem, but then I've noticed that when there's like two or three or what's just like five people in there, they turned into an audience. Now you're an audience, You're not just people in the booth. Now, okay, coming for you. You know. Then then I then I really perform. And I realized that years and years ago, and so it doesn't bother me. The more people the better, because I think it ups the ante for me. Just you know, someone.
Speaker 5: Right now, that's good, that's really good. I am. I think I just I start getting a little bit, a little bit focused on myself realizing how silly I look.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well see I already look pretty silly, so I don't have that problem.
Speaker 2: Of course I look silly.
Speaker 1: I look silly.
Speaker 2: I look silly today, Yes, as you look.
Speaker 5: Silly when you're when you're doing you know, when it gets to okay, now it's time for efforts, and now it's time for giggles and laughs, yeah, size and screams and yells. I have to act them all out. I can't just sit at the school and you know, and put up this whole thing. I got it up, and I've got to be running and I've got to have this and do the whole thing, and then I'll be finished and I'll hear them all laughing behind the glass. I'm like, you, guys, you're laughing. Yeah, you're not really me, you're laughing.
Speaker 1: Act because oh well, one of my favorites guys like that.
Speaker 2: Was in the studio.
Speaker 1: He I won't say who he played or his name because I won't, but it was the Adams family. When I was playing Lurch because of my height, he he would do a line and it was supposed to be trepid, trepidacious and scared, very frightened. So we'd go, oh no, and then press himself up against the wall and he would go through these horrible grimaces and faces and you know, the great Gordon Hunt God rest is all from Hanna Barbera. He pressed down on the talk back.
Speaker 2: It exists.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, we can't hear you doing that, right, And he's going, oh oh yeah, yeah, yeah, give us a little something while you're cringing, give us a cringing sound.
Speaker 5: Give us something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just you know, but you could tell stage actor lots of face, lots.
Speaker 5: Of face, lots of face going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of face going on. So are you often running these days. I mean, are you like still every weekend or every other week? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the next four weeks, the next four weekends, let's see where I'm at heading. I think I'm going up to Winnipeg for Invention on Friday, and then I'm heading to LA to do some fun little things for our thirty fifth anniversary of The Little Mermaid, which is crazy to think about thirty five years five. Then then I'm off to North Carolina that next weekend to do a concert, and I've hired my daughter to come and be my guest artist.
Speaker 1: So I'm so excited to do a concert that wonderful.
Speaker 5: We did want at Epcot a couple of weekends ago, and we had so much fun, and I asked her, do you think you could come back? And she's like, I can. So she's gonna fly down and meet me in North Carolina for a concert that's in Greensboro on November ninth, and then I'm back to LA for Oh Richard Sherman's memorial service.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I've been invited to sing feed the Birds, which the last time I saw saying that song was with him at the piano, So I'm very honored to get to participate in his memorial service, and then.
Speaker 2: I'll see you there.
Speaker 5: Oh good, I'll see you there. And then San Francisco for the Thanksgiving Comic Con.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, are you going to San.
Speaker 1: Fran I don't know. I don't I don't know, mind.
Speaker 5: I don't remember. Who's all going to be honest with you. I didn't even look at the list. And then one of my favorite favorite favorite things to do with the company is Candlelight Professional. So I'll be narrating down in Candlelight Professional at Epcot at Christmas Week. So I'm down there from the twenty eighth until January first.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 5: So I'm excited. I don't know how many years I've done it now. I started in the nineties, I think. And I am just beside myself getting to do Candle It. It's just such a wonderful, wonderful holiday celebration to do, and we try to go as a family, and I love it. And it's so funny because I don't sing in it. You just narrate. But of course I know the show so well after all these years that I sing every single song. But I think they turned my microphone off.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I think they turn.
Speaker 5: It off because I mean, I know all the parts too. I know, I know all the parts to the Hallylois chorus, so I kind of switch it off whether I'm a dou soprano or alta or whatever, but I can see the sound guy back there, and I'm just I know, I know he's turned me off, you know, because I'm not part of of the choir, and I'm like, but anyways, I sing the whole time, the whole show. But it's really, it's really fun. It's really fun. It's it's been a kind of a tradition for many, many years, and I'm always thrilled when when they invite me back, so, you know, because you never know, you never know, the phone might not ring that year, so you just kind of grateful, grateful when it does, Grateful when I do get to do those things. And then if it does it one day, I'll just say, you know what, it's been a great run.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Amen, that's pretty much my philosophy in a nutshell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very thankful, very very thankful.
Speaker 3: So before we go, Chris, should we play a game of voice swap? Just quickly?
Speaker 4: Yes, voice swap? Do you know this game?
Speaker 1: Joy?
Speaker 5: The Sun is setting, so I'm just gonna move my little Sorry, we're setting right into my eyes. I'm looking out at the lake. It's a beautiful, beautiful day. Okay. Tell me about voice swap? What is this?
Speaker 4: Okay? So Jim will go and give a line from one of his iconic characters, and then you will voice that same line about in the voice of one of your characters, and then vice versa. So, for example, Jim will give like, stay sweet as honey is Winnie the Pooh, and then you'll say the same thing, but as Ariel or Barbie, et cetera, et cetera, and then we'll go.
Speaker 5: Back for it. I'll do my best, all right.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? Okay, So I think I should be Triton. Is that a little too on the nose? All right?
Speaker 2: I'll get up all right.
Speaker 1: So here's the line, Harriel, there will be no singing in my kingdom.
Speaker 5: Ariel, there will be no singe in my kingdom.
Speaker 2: That just doesn't sound from you.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: It's like you're looking in the mirror, like talking yourself down. Don't do it, aol.
Speaker 3: Should we get king trot and singing part of your world?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: I feel like Jody. You you sing, you sing part of your world, and we'll get Jim to sing it as Winnie the Pooh.
Speaker 1: Okay, excuse me, just what is the thing abou bob?
Speaker 2: I don't care how many you have? What is what?
Speaker 5: Okay? So I got to do part of your world and he gets to do it as Pooh. Yes, okay, okay hard hot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thanks. I could follow that.
Speaker 1: Pot it's too hot.
Speaker 5: Lower go lower, po.
Speaker 7: Old, it's filled with honey, good old poo.
Speaker 5: I love poo. My take home outfit from the hospital of our son McKinley when he was born is a little Winnie the Pooh outfit. So you get a little Winnie.
Speaker 8: Pooh, a little onesie, a little what do you call those little bird fo bid, thank you a bid, and then a little baby cap with baby little.
Speaker 5: Poo ears on top of it. So we brought him home from the hospital and his entire crib was Winnie the pooh.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 7: Well that's just as sweet as honey sweet. And I know he's going to be the best little boat for ever. And if you need Uncle Tigger to come over there and give them bounce and lessons, it's a done deal.
Speaker 5: But I just I love that I still have it. It's all clean, it's packed away, ready for my grand baby one day, right, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see too much pressure, no pressure, no pressure, no pressure at my.
Speaker 5: Kids are watching or listening, no pressure.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. It's got to be organic or is it organic? Yes, anyway, you get the idea, You get the idea. Oh, Sody, thank you so so.
Speaker 4: Soon, very much.
Speaker 5: It only took us three years or something between between your schedule and my schedule. I'm so thankful that it finally worked out. We had a few little technical difficulties, but we made it work.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's all good. It is it is it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I see you very soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll be the guy who looks like me.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately one of our cities we'll I'll definitely see you at Richard's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 5: That'll be special. That'd be special. But thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, Christopher's going to take us home.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for being here, Jody. That that was a very interesting conversation and thank you all for watching. That was another. That was another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. And we want to thank you all so much because we have now passed one hundred thousand subscribers on YouTube. So thank you all for supporting the show. It can help happen without you. Seriously, it really couldn't happen without you, amen. And a bonus thanks to all of our patrons on Patreon. If you don't know, you can find bonus content on Patreon, including early access to these episodes. There's some deep dives on there, so go check us out on Patreon as well, and of course you can find this podcast wherever you listen to your podcast. And we especially appreciate you guys watching on YouTube. Until the next one. Today has been Jody Benson, thank you so much for joining us. Thanks as always, Brendan, dan Do and Jim Cummings. We'll see you in the next one.
Speaker 1: Thank you Bye, bye everybody, Hi, thank you, m HM