Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You know, we love your show, but you guys are rude. Well, one of you is off. You should announce that they're off and what they're doing not their life story, just what they're doing. So we don't all sit here and they're thumb you nowhere.
Speaker 3: Ah hmm.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it's rude for me to say what, No, I think I'll sit in that. I think maybe I need to learn a lesson about that. Shannon's not here today. There, that's not her life story. I'll just leave it at that. What else is going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, you heard Deva mention it one of the Eaglitz has flown Jackie in shadow of course, proud parents of Sonny and Gizmo and Deborah, Am I right, it's Sonny that took off.
Speaker 3: That that's what we're going with. Okay.
Speaker 1: They have said that this is likely going to come back and forth, that the the young eagle Lets are not ready to venture out on their own completely just yet. But because we have limited coverage of the cameras. We don't know where Sonny went, so they will eagerly anticipate, eagerly, eagerly, eagerly you.
Speaker 3: Can get it.
Speaker 1: Anticipate the return of said eagle to the nest to see how things go. There was a terrorist attack in Boulder, Colorado yesterday. FBI says the guy charged in the attack that left eight people injured told police that he planned it for an entire year and specifically targeted what he described as a Zionist group. An FBI fi David that's being used as part of the court case against him said that he confessed to the attack after being taken into custody yesterday and told the police that he would do it all again. The affidavit came out in support of the federal hate crime charges filed by the Justice Department. The group that was targeted had been gathering in a popular pedestrian park there in Boulder to draw attention to the Israeli hostages who remain in Gaza. The firebombing suspect is due in court and is expected at some point in the next probably within the hour, to make his first court appearance. Representatives of Russia and Ukraine met for their second round of direct peace talks in just over two for the first time in just two weeks, aside from agreeing to swap thousands of dead and seriously wounded troops, no other progress towards ending the war. The talks also came just a day after a bunch of long range attacks by both sides, where missiles and drones were used from Russia against Ukraine, but then a more devastating attack is the Ukrainian drones were used on several air bases in Russia to take out some of their long range bombers also internationally and dramatic video, tourists on an expedition near Mount Etna filmed running for their safety after a huge ash plume erupted from the volcano.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: Dramatic video showed them scrambling away from the summit as this dark ashes billowed into the sky over the eastern coast of Sicily.
Speaker 3: They said that.
Speaker 1: A fountain of lava had also begun to flow from the volcano's southeast crater, though it hadn't breached the Valley of the Leo, which is kind of a basin natural basin there that kind of keeps the lava in the Volcanic Ash Advisory Center of Toulouse said activity was also already decreasing, no reported injuries, but pretty terrifying if you were up on the if you're up.
Speaker 3: On that mountain anywhere near.
Speaker 1: Disney has launched a perks program for Disney Plus and Hulu subscribers. For example, you can unlock a variety of offers, a chance to win tickets to the The Freaky Friday World premiere ahead of the release in August, sweepstakes to win a four night cruise on a Disney Cruise free, six months Dash pass membership from door Dash discounts at clothing stores, et cetera. And beginning June second, Hulu's got its own set of perks, tickets to Lollapalooza, you could go see Jimmy Kimmel Live, sweepstakes tied to the Hulu originals like a handmaid's tail, a complete unknown only murders in a building in the building, I should say, and then more perks expected to be released on a regular basis, at least according to the company. Locally, it looks like recovery dive teams are expected to search for a paddle boarder who went missing in the lower Lagoon of Castaic. Over the weekend, strong winds knocked over a couple of paddle boarders.
Speaker 3: Two people went into the water.
Speaker 1: Just about twelve thirty yesterday afternoon, a woman who was wearing a life jacket was pulled from the water, but the man who was with her is still unaccounted for. He's been identified a sixty one year old a Spirridion Camez. Divers did search for him for several hours yesterday but suspended the search when it got dark. They will continue their search today and then. You may not have noticed. This a very high profile weekend at Dodger Stadium. The games against the Yankees were broadcast by Apple TV on Friday night, Fox yes Fox on Saturday, and then ESPN yesterday. On Friday night, a chunk of concrete fell from Dodger Stadium and hit a guy. Roughly the size of a softball fell into a Yankees fan, a guy named Richard Akino. He was struck in a back during the third inning of that Dodgers win on Friday night. Through a translator, He's from Mexico City. Through a translator, he said he was in some pain that the concrete didn't cause any bleeding. Obviously he's going to stay and watch the game because it's two of the most impressive teams right now. The Dodgers did install a small section of protective netting under the top deck in the Section ten reserve area, located between home plate and first base. The team said in a statement they have had professionals and experts at Dodger Stadium to examine the facility make sure it is safety and they're undertaking a longer term review. Let Us not forget, as visually stunning as that weekend was, all three of those games and the coverage that they got nationally, Dodger Stadium is one of the oldest stadiums in all of Major League Baseball right now.
Speaker 3: Think about that.
Speaker 1: I think it's third behind Fenway Park in Boston and Wrigley Field in Chicago and then Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: That's how old this place is.
Speaker 1: Not that everything that is in it is that old, but just giving an idea of the infrastructure that they're dealing with. We were talking earlier about changes to youth sports and how an ex Major League Baseball player guy named Travis Snyder, is trying to change youth sports, trying to get into the heads of parents and coaches and say, hey, guys, calm down, you're hurting your kids. We'll talk a little bit more about that and hear from some of your experiences when it comes to youth sports.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Former I should say, personal assistant to Sean Diddy Combs who says he raped her, has defended the text messages, the loving text messages she sent him for years after her job ended. She said she was brainwashed. This former personal assistant is going under a pseudonym. She's testifying under the name Nia. The testimony said or she testified. Sorry that this woman is now her third day on the witness stand. It's fourth week of witness testimony. He has pleaded not guilty to charge us. He's remained jailed without bail since he was arrested last September. Told you earlier about Travis Snyder, this former Major League baseball player with the Blue Jays, Pie Orioles. He was great when he was in little league up in Washington State, played for Mill Creek Little League, was on state championship teams. He was a nationally ranked high school player, drafted fourteenth overall by the Blue Jays and the MLB Draft, and when his career was over, he had made his way through the majors spent a couple of years back in the minors before he decided to finally retire. He was diagnosed with complex post traumatic stress disorder that he blamed on the pressure, not just pressure he put on himself, but pressure that was put on him by coaches, parents, other players, etc. And he wanted to put an end to that that youth sports was kind of getting out of hand, so he got together with a friend, a life coach named Seth Taylor, and created a company called three A Athletics, and the three a's stand for awareness, activation and achievement. Awareness of the issues that are facing youth sports, an activation of an athlete's potential through supportive coaching and parenting practices, followed by achievement in their chosen field.
Speaker 3: And listen, we all know not all sports are for all kids.
Speaker 1: And when I went through getting my kids involved in sports when they were young, it wasn't because I wanted them to be a Major League baseball player or find some sort of Olympic path that they were going to excel at. It's that I wanted them to be involved. You want them involved in teams, you want them involved in situations where other people are relying on them and they are relying on O their people. Great way to make friends, great way for you as a parent to meet other parents, all of that stuff. I mean, there's all kinds of different reasons why you want your kid involved in sports, and too many times it becomes a it becomes a test of your relationship with your kid because you don't think they're trying hard enough, or you don't think they're putting their effort into it, or you think that they're okay with losing or whatever whatever the term is. And I'm not a guy, by the way, I'm not a guy who's like everybody needs a trophy.
Speaker 3: That's not what it is.
Speaker 1: But the idea of sports, especially at that age, being life and death.
Speaker 3: That takes it a little bit too far.
Speaker 5: It's up.
Speaker 3: Gary Joni Fromscandido Love the Show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got so stressed out from playing youth soccer in high school soccer, I started drinking and smoking cigarettes of the age of fourteen.
Speaker 3: Wow, that'll get you out of shape.
Speaker 7: Pretty quick, hey Jerry, and say whatever your names are. No, really, I'm a youth soccer referee and I've done ayso which is youthed in developmental years and years and years and new club and do high school and some of the way some of them, I would say about fifteen to twenty percent of the coaches and all of the parents constantly put way too much pressure. And I'm talking even most recently six to you, these are five year olds and there's intensity. We must win, we must get it, and it's changed.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I had a problem with was when it came to soccer. For example, I never I mean I played as a kid when I was in ten. That was probably my career ended when I was ten. But there are some really basic things that you're supposed to do in soccer that if you aren't a good coach, and I wasn't, you're not going to be able to communicate that to the kids. And I remember being so frustrated with I didn't have I didn't have the language to teach the kids what they needed to know. I could watch a soccer game and enjoy it and see some of the strategy in it, but I didn't know how to then translate that into coaching for the kids.
Speaker 3: So that was my shortfall.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hi, this is Tony.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 8: When I was in my early twenties, I coached the little league team and we had a little guy on there that wasn't a strong hitter, and I found out that every time he struck out, his dad would spank ind So knowing that, I spent hours with the kid and taught him how to bunt, and he became the best bunner and consequently, you know, his dad left them all.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good coach right there.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary, you're doing great today.
Speaker 5: So I'm calling about the kids that get pushed too far in sport.
Speaker 9: I used to be a tutor, and a lot.
Speaker 5: Of kids that I tutored would go to college for their sport, get a scholarship, dedicated their whole life to their sport, and then when they got to college, they hated their coach so and then some of them had burnout. So I don't push my kid. He's twelve now, and I'm just like, go to practice when you feel like it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about that. I don't know about go to practice when you feel like it. And one of the things that I was talking about about why you would want your kids involved in sports in the first place, is they make a pledge to be relied upon. That your team can rely on you being there whenever you can. And even if you don't want to go to practice, that's what you told the team you would do, is you would go to practice. And I wonder if there is a thing Listen, sometimes there is a discussion about how many pitches any pitcher had in their arm. Right, if you overdo it when you're a kid, you're not going to have anything left when you're in your mid twenties. And I wonder if there's an aspect of that that exists. Also, if you play in four hundred travel baseball games by the time you're twenty, do you even love it anymore? Or are you just doing it because it's out of habit. I think that's kind of weird.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Gary and Shannon. Thank you for always being funny.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 9: My husband was a softball coach for travel ball and the girls were amazing. I want to know something about youth sports. The parents most of the time, Yep, they suck. Have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll continue this on the other side of the break because there is a few more of these talkbacks that we got specifically about what it is that is positive about youth sports, and you don't nothing has to be negative all the time, and there are some things that we can all problem rely on that are positive.
Speaker 3: When it comes to getting your kids into sports. That's coming up next.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 1: Forty Emmy winning composer whose music was featured on The Simpsons for twenty seven years, has died. Alf Clawson died late last week at his home here in LA after struggling with Parkinson's for a long time. At eighty four years old, Klawson scored other TV series like Moonlighting and Alf. He was nominated for thirty Emmy Awards. Twenty one of those nominations came for The Simpsons, and he won twice. In the odd sports where I shouldn't say odd. In the less spotlighted sports World, Magnus Carlson lost to Gukesh Domraju in chess. It's the first time that Magnus Carlson has lost in the classical format and in this case, Gukesh Domraju is nineteen years old, considered to be one of the brightest young stars in all of sports.
Speaker 3: If we're talking sports, we're talking.
Speaker 1: About this plan by Travis Snyder, a former Major League baseball player, and is pushed to kind of take some of the pressure.
Speaker 3: Out of youth sports the way it exists.
Speaker 1: And he's put together the three A Athletics. And I told you awareness, activation, achievement, and I wanted to. I was curious about what other people's experiences are when it came to youth sports.
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning, Gary. Got my son who's now twenty six, and you know, I was a little older when I had him, but I did coach soccer and managed his little league teams. But our parents at that time weren't that critical of the kids making an error or striking out or doing something weird. It just maybe we're just on the cusp. But we didn't have those problems where the kids were hanging their heads low and all that kind of stuff after losing or whatever. So hey, maybe we're just lucky.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting point that made me think. My dad didn't play baseball, but I did. My dad played football, and when I've tried to play football very poorly. Uh, that was when he was most critical. Not and then not even in a negative way. He just knew what he was talking. He knew how to be critical of football, but not necessarily of baseball. So I never and Dad was never overly critical anyway.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary, Mike from him. Yeah, my nephew played ball since he was eight, travel ball, the whole thing, made it into college, ended up getting Tommy John surgery in college, but was able to come back and made it to single a baseball But the wear and tear on his body just took its toll. So it was tough on him.
Speaker 8: But he loved it. He loved it.
Speaker 3: That's a point. That's a great point. You can love.
Speaker 1: You can love a sport or an activity or hobby, whatever it is, if your body can't handle it. That's that's part of the process of refining who gets to play these games at a professional level is your body has to be able to get through it, not just your mental ability or your natural given ability. Your muscles, your bones, everything's got to work right.
Speaker 11: Well, Yeah, I'm a single father, and when my kids were growing up, my daughter played very high competitive club volleyball, and my son played very high competitive baseball. It takes a toll on you and financially and time wise, for sure.
Speaker 3: No kid. I think that's the one thing everybody can agree on.
Speaker 12: Hey, Gary, I could sit and talk to you about this for quite some time, because right now I'm dealing with all stars for softball. But the one thing I would say is encouragement. And that's not between your own league or even seeing another team, just having that and because you can see certain things just go on and it's kind of gets ruthless out there when it doesn't need to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and back to Travis Knightder, this former Major League baseball player said basically, we want the experience to be the kids experience, not the parents, not the coach, not but the actual people on the field or on the court playing the sports. Because if you're going to have a chance to experience and find out what they like what they don't like, is this what I want to pursue.
Speaker 3: Is it just a hobby kind of thing.
Speaker 1: They're the ones that are going to have to be able to make that decision themselves without I mean, with input perhaps from parents and coaches, but without too much influence from them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you use sports. I sucked at you sports. That was the problem.
Speaker 10: I don't see what everybody's complaining about with men playing in women's sports.
Speaker 3: There was the only people I could beat.
Speaker 11: With the girls, you know.
Speaker 6: Okay, Besides, women always want to join everything men do.
Speaker 10: Say.
Speaker 12: It's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Speaker 8: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the confession that you sucked at youth sports.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary, it's Troy. It sounds to me like you want to give everybody a trophy. Competition breeds excellent. If your kids are playing baseball, they need to go out and succeed. If they fail, you need to tell them, let's do better next time.
Speaker 3: Okay, the ptation of America. All right, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: You can also smack them in the back of the head if they swing and miss.
Speaker 3: That would work well.
Speaker 1: Before we get to motivation Monday, I need to have a reason to have motivation. And if you have not yet heard the greatest talkback of the day, this is the.
Speaker 3: Time, ladies and gentlemen. This means I need motivation.
Speaker 13: Gary. It's that your ego and low soft team leads through on the show un lessons the quality of it. Ow you can tell that you were one of those kids in school that wasn't part of the cool crowd but always wanted to be. And that really shows. Wow, it's unbecoming.
Speaker 3: Oh, stop poking me, sir, that hurts.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's spend the motivational Monday wheel and see what we come up with.
Speaker 3: Oh there it is hockey.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess Stanley Cup finals begin on Wednesday, so hockey as timely. Remember when Coach Brooks put together the US Olympic hockey team in nineteen eighty bunch of college kids, they took on the powerhouses of Sweden and Canada and the Soviet Union. In the unlikely semi final game between the Americans and the Soviets, Coach Brooks, in this case, played by Kurt Russell, has to get the guys ready for the fight of their lives.
Speaker 10: Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight. Boys, That's what you've earned here tonight in one game. If we played them ten times, they might win nine.
Speaker 3: But not this game, not tonight.
Speaker 8: Tonight.
Speaker 11: We skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them, and we.
Speaker 8: Shut them down because we can tonight.
Speaker 4: We are the greatest hockey team in the world.
Speaker 10: You were born to be hockey players, everyone I am, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have scroll them.
Speaker 1: This is your time.
Speaker 3: Now, go out there and take it. I'll bet you they play that. I'll bet you they play.
Speaker 1: That in the hockey room, hockey locker rooms, before the before the games. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.