Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of May nineteenth, we are continuing with Lost, Season two, episode twenty two, three minutes, a pretty obscure title which I guess refers to the amount of time Michael was given to commune with Walt Yes, and yet he did not get three minutes no, so sort of seems like a random title that they just kind of threw on there. We need a title. What are we going to do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know how about this right? This episode was.
Speaker 4: Busy, Yeah, I mean you.
Speaker 1: Had to be on your toes because it was like there.
Speaker 2: Weren't flashbacks to you know, some distant pass but there were just flashbacks ricocheting among today, three days ago, ten days ago, thirteen days ago, all these intervals, and.
Speaker 4: If you were not paying attention.
Speaker 2: And reading the screen every few minutes when they announced this, you might not.
Speaker 4: Realize what was going on.
Speaker 2: The old Yes, I believe that they had Michael shoot himself in the shoulders so that in the scenes where he had a sling on, you knew that was today the present day, a.
Speaker 1: Big white sling, so you can't miss it. You can't go, well, it is this armin A sling. Oh no, it's like a flashing neon sign saying present or relatively present or now ish or something. Yep, but it does fill in for us what happened between when Michael left in search of Walt and came back and shot people. So as we had predicted, they told him that if they got he got Henry out, then they would give him Walt, which why on earth would you trust those people?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And then at the last second, oh, by the way, we also want four other people.
Speaker 4: We want you to we want you to.
Speaker 2: Free Henry, not Henry, and we also want you to deliver us these four other people and then we'll let you and walk go.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I don't know. Then Michael's well, exactly what happens, then I'll take.
Speaker 4: A boat also please.
Speaker 1: Yes, They're like, hey, he's supposed to use as an excuse, Well, we're gonna go We're gonna go get these others. We're gonna go attack them, We're gonna go whatever. We're gonna bring a band of people to take over or something which he can get away with when the list is Jack, Kate, Sawyer and anybody else. Right, But it was excuse says, we're gonna put together a lean, mean, fighting force to go get these guys, and we're bringing her a Hurley said, Nope, you can't come Jen, Nope, nobody else, just just the three of you and Hurley Early. That's I mean, that's all you need to here to know that Michael is compromised. I mean, good on saying for picking up on that. But Harly, he's the one you're gonna go sneaking through the jungle with. I mean, I love the guy, but he's not the one you pick for this mission or any mission unless involves getting food out of someplace. So they yeah, that's that. They set him up pretty bad with that. Nobody else. Really he should have argued with them that. I mean, it was nice that he mentioned that he didn't know who James Ford was, But why didn't they just write Sawyer down on there? Why wouldn't they They have known he didn't know, but they have their other reasons. It will all become clear eventually, maybe.
Speaker 4: In maybe in years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they don't. They don't let out. But this just seems like I'm I mean, we've been watching this show long enough to know a bad idea when we hear it. Oh buddy, that's not gonna work. You know that's not gonna work. Why are you doing this? Why didn't you just come clean to your friends and tell them everything and then you can figure out what to do. But he's got to get his son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even his son is like dad. These people are lying, like Walt's trying to warn him, not tell, not to fall for anything.
Speaker 1: They say yes, and you know, the woman who's I guess in charge of Walt says what attorneys have said previously, and what we have said in our commentaries is for a guy who's going to kill people and turn over everything to get your son, you don't have to know a lot about him. It's like you've spent you've been actually in charge of him as a father for an extremely short period of time, most of it after a plane crash. It's not like this devoted your entire life to caring for this boy, and now he has been rested from your hands. He's like he's been mostly nothing to you. And I mean not that it's your fault, but right unless maybe I mean she did ask did he appear places he was? Maybe he was hanging with Michael all this time, and Michael just hasn't mentioned it. You know, he comes to visit me every week. It's real nice. We go to the park and nobody seems to be able to see him Invincent. But yeah, what a mess. Yeah, that whole thing, what a stupid mess. And being that it's coming to the end of the season, especially, I think we can predict that nothing good will come.
Speaker 4: Of me.
Speaker 1: When it was over. I told my husband, Okay, I have to think of some parenting tips to get out of this, And he looked at me and said, there's one parent and he's a jackass, which is a little harsh on Claire. Claire's a parent. Yeah, we got another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Claire's like, yes, please, I will inject my child with these mystery substances every nine day.
Speaker 1: That's what. Yeah, I mean, I know vaccines are a hot topic these days and we don't want to go there, but would you inject I have this random thing that was found, It was just dropped into the jungle here. Why don't you inject it into your small infant child? Yeah, and yourself if you like, Charlie's been trying it out. You know, it's fine, just like that, that seems to be I don't think I could. I would want, you know, could we get some clinical trials on this right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean it's I guess it's all from back when the others had captured her and tried to convince her that she needed this.
Speaker 1: And the baby needed that.
Speaker 4: I like, we don't want to believe those people.
Speaker 1: Okay, why are they believing those Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh and I missed where Charlie got it from the balloon like food.
Speaker 1: Dropped the drop I think you said from the drop. So along with the food came came just a suitcase of random things to inject into your bikey, sure, sure, I'm sure it's fine.
Speaker 4: No problem.
Speaker 1: The people here want nothing but the best for you. It's fine, man, people I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: Well clear maybe you know a young and fairly naive parent.
Speaker 4: But every nine.
Speaker 1: Days, that's the part that just what now?
Speaker 4: Every nine days?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Why does it say that? Somewhere on the They're like a little dosage note in that dusty case full of god knows what. I don't know, Oh man, just weirder and weirder. I feel for her having a having a baby in this situation, but we don't we don't get enough details about how exactly that's going for her. Right What she feeds this, well, man, I guess she breastfeeds. But what they diaper her with? What they use on the die? Did they get some like you know, uh zinc oxide in the drop as well that they can use for diper rash?
Speaker 2: Maybe Sawyer has some? Yeah, oh the Island Walgreens under his bed.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: What he doesn't have anymore are little statues full of heroin. No, they all got thrown into the sea, and I'm thinking, how long before the tide brings those puppies back? Exactly? That's what I like, you know, in the major leagues, anytime soon. He wasn't throwing them so far away. I guess it'll all get wet, right, that'll be will that ruins something?
Speaker 2: No, they were inside the statues and wrapped in plastics.
Speaker 1: I mean it was a good it was a good effort. It showed an intention lot approved lock who was just sitting there on the beach waiting for his legs to start working again. Yep, and then they did and he just took off. Isn't that nice? People? I'm surprised people aren't just lining up to go to that island. Mm hmm. Yeah, sun sand and all your ills will be curious. That's right, that'll be great. You never go back, but you know, we drop food down every.
Speaker 4: So every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are coconuts on some of the trees. I'm sure there's blaccos. Probably you could go get some food from them if you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you need to do is befriend Gin and Son, because yes, Gin knows how to catch fish and Son knows how.
Speaker 4: To guard it.
Speaker 1: So that's right there, you go.
Speaker 2: They have their the parents who are going to be possibly the most prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So Michael Boy Harold Parano had to do some some big time wild eyed, crazy guy acting in this. Yes, And you know why anybody is listening to him and wanting to do what he says, I don't know, because he looks quite mad.
Speaker 2: Well, and he he's using this the like I'm a parent, you know it's my call, and he's yeah, he's playing that to everybody who doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have a kid, like oh yeah.
Speaker 2: But the same way that would work the same way that Claire tried to do to Son. So you know, are they all going to surprise pregnancies our secret children?
Speaker 1: Maybe I wouldn't be surprised at all. I feel like in the real world, you make that sort of excuse and people are saying, I didn't tell you to have a kid, You just go do your own thing, not my concern. Yeah, why they would say, sure, let's do things. I was very glad that sayid figure came with the WTF and you know, could tell why nobody else could, why Sawyer wouldn't have noticed somebody work in a con I don't know, right, but busy morning Analysia who he has to tell Jack about their little tryst.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was evidence that he is susceptible to a con himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from time admitted to it. Jack is his closest thing to a friend.
Speaker 4: Ah, buddies, Jack's.
Speaker 1: Like not reciprocate, but I is. I mean obviously Michael has to arrange it so that Hurley will want to go, but to kill Libby and then say, look, you have to go because they killed her.
Speaker 4: Right is low? Yeah, buddy, it's youd.
Speaker 1: It is not well with your soul. Perhaps you need to do some absolution with mister Echo who has decided to stop being a priest and building a church and just press the button. It must be such a relief. It must be such a relief, you know. You go from the things this guy has gone from being a drug dealer, being a fake priest, losing his brother, all the stresses this man has had, and now he always sits in a nice place and just gets button. It looks like he's like, yep, yep, I'm here, I got it.
Speaker 2: We got food, we got a record player, we got books.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna be putting up at church anymore. Why do I need to do that work. I'm just gonna sit here and press a button. You looked so pleased. But Charlie, you want to continue building a church, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna worry about sitting in a church that Charlie built because it's not going to come down. But what good is it having a fake priest on your island if he's not going to do funerals? Yeah, that funeral was pretty I will mourn her in my own way, mourn them in my own way. Meanwhile, I'm going to hit the buttons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so fun.
Speaker 1: The numbers the most relaxing, relaxing mission on the island. So where is mister Locke off to do?
Speaker 4: We think? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did he head to head out into the jungle. Well, he just took off down the beach. Yeah, so I didn't know if he was going to join the rest of the gang or if he was off to do something.
Speaker 2: Well, he's put out because he's realized that, you know, pressing the button was just a psychological experiment, right, Yeah, he's figured that, you know, that's what he learned from going.
Speaker 1: To John again John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now he's coming, buddy, He's like, I'm out of here taking my ball like.
Speaker 1: That. He's not on the list of people that that's right, he is not. From a parenting point of view, I think one thing we learned from this is be able to tell people things about your kid. Yes, people ask you questions about your kid. Do you really know?
Speaker 4: You should be read?
Speaker 1: And I mean I would say that possibly this is a situation where dad's maybe not as strong as moms, because moms are the ones who are going to the doctors and doing this thing and doing that thing. You know, Walt's mother would have had a thick folder full of data to give to the creepy other lady. Yes, Michael's like, well, I don't know. Yeah, you know that's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Well, and it is exactly what they did to him at the custody.
Speaker 4: Here I did.
Speaker 1: They did, and he should have learned something from that. Yes, just make stuff up, yeah right, you need to, don't just I don't know. Yeah, he's my son. He's my son, and I will kill all these people worry him. Well, what do you know what you can tell me about him? Well, I don't know, not too much. I haven't really spent that much time with him. But but meanwhile, let me put all my friends in danger or death to get him back. This is this is a very frustrating character. Yes, come on, come on, if you will do anything for him, including that anything, learning a thing or two right there was or pretending like you know things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know the blogger and sort of internet person design mom, she did a whole thing.
Speaker 1: About you know, men, because it's always men.
Speaker 2: They are all about like I need guns to protect my family, you know, and she's like, you know, what protects your family laundry and and you know, clean water and giving your kids baths, and you know, she made this whole long conversation, you know, imagined conversation like I'm you know, I need a gun to protect them.
Speaker 1: Like she's like, actually, you need to feed them, you know, food that's safe and healthy, and you need to like wash their clothes so they don't get diseases. So yeah, yeah, that's kind of where we're at with Michael. So I think so Michael is very up for any degree of violence right in the defense of by size. But you know, have they ever actually had a conversation, Yeah, when the kid had a choice. He was hanging with Locke. Yeah, oh well, well it's parenting is hard. It is, it is. We do. We do acknowledge that I got out here for a dad, you know. Uh, Saide's sensing that Michael is compromised. That's a parenting I mean we don't. I don't think that Saide has any children, but that's a uh, that's a parenting reflex. Yes, that this person is being too nice, this person is being too cooperative, this person is being too firm. This just is this is.
Speaker 4: Something something is not right, something that's.
Speaker 1: Not acting like a kid should be acting. Hmm, what's up?
Speaker 4: What does this mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a useful skill that not too many of these people have. It's true, not that it's going to do sight any particular good, but you know, it's a it's a good parenting skill to be able to smell a rat and know what to do about it. Yeah, and knowing what to do about it is the harder part. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he knew to like tell Jack, and.
Speaker 1: Jack was ready to be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, we're gonna go, and he's like, wait, yeah, you don't want him to know that we know right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Jack Jack bought it, though. You could tell that he could see the wisdom of that. He gave Michael a look, and I bother will do anything for his son, anything, anything except.
Speaker 4: Visit once in a while.
Speaker 1: Oh well, Walt does not seem like he's having a real good time there another villain. No, so surely we're going to go get him out, aren't we. Yeah. Vincent just keeps popping up at apropotons.
Speaker 2: To start regular reminder like, don't forget no Walt, he's out there somewhere.
Speaker 1: Is that the dog that's gonna see Michael in hell?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, that was.
Speaker 1: Not a very comforting story, really, it really wasn't. Thanks there echo. Oh well, so why do we think they took some blood from Michael?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I wonder what they're doing with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's creepy.
Speaker 3: Bringing it down to their island they have. Does it have something to do with the nine nine day, every nine day vaccine?
Speaker 1: Oh? Maybe, so every nine day? What is there on this island that you would have to vaccidate yourself against? I guess it's this illness, that's this phantom illness that Danielle talks about. Right, doesn't seem to be bothering anybody right now. Nope, unless it's making them all kind of stupid, stupid virus. Protect yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Michael, I'll go across the island for you to to, you know, confront these evil people, and let's bring Early with us. Sure, Okay, no harm can come to Hurly. Okay, that's right. But but harm they do realize that harm comes to everybody around her, right. I think I'm in an expedition with him. That's probably why Libby is no more. That's right, poor Libby, only to be seen in flashbacks henceforward. But so with all this mystery and all this weirdness and all this stuff, and all this planning of a trek and a dangerous mission, hey there's a boat.
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 1: What the heck? That was a twist. At the end of the episode, it seemed like it was over. Claire was being kind to Charlie. Did she know that he threw all the statues in the in the sea?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But here comes another wrinkle.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's so, do we remember anybody who took off in a boat at some point? Well, I mean the others, but that was a different boat.
Speaker 4: Wasn't it.
Speaker 1: No, not in that kind of boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no, to remember something possibly but not important.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they'll remind me.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know if I would have remembered it if I hadn't paid. But anyway, excitement, well sort of excitement ahead for the next two episodes, which have well let's not say who the flashbacks will be, okay, because it kind of spoils a little bit. Okay, So next week, are we gonna watch both parts of the final or are we just gonna watch one? U? We can?
Speaker 4: How are you want to do it?
Speaker 1: Do you think we should watch them both?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean I were they they must have been released a week apart, right, let's just find out watch it if the way people would have watched it? Or should we watch it just in one huge ridiculous I can show Dharma brand goldfish crackers.
Speaker 4: Your date May.
Speaker 3: Fourth.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it was the two hour season finale.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we should watch it. We should watch it as one, we should watch it as one, I think. Okay, let's let's let's do it. Okay, let's get to the third season already?
Speaker 3: Yeah deleting okay part one?
Speaker 1: There, So next Tuesday. We will continue with season two episodes twenty three and twenty four of Loss Right, Live Together, Die Alone. That sounds promising. They're just gonna go to Otherville and they're gonna welcome them with open arms. Michael's gonna go off with with Walt, and everybody's just gonna be happy and have a good time. Yeah yeah, send us off into the summer on a high. No dying alone, Yeah yeah, send us off to us cup somewhere with a good feeling. You've be a level luau of some sort, you know. Yeah, I'm sure everybody will be so happy. And if you believe that you have an island to sell you, yes, what could possibly go wrong? It seems like they have such a solid plan.
Speaker 4: They always do, they do, they do.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 4: You can also talk.
Speaker 2: To us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash Shop, slash.
Speaker 2: Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 1: The man in the compas