Speaker 1: Alrighty, what is going on? Drivetime?
Speaker 2: Wednesday afternoon, about thirteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: It is kicky and the teeth cold today.
Speaker 2: About twenty two degrees right now, about twelve degrees early this morning, tried to take the dog out for a walk. He looked at me, He's like, what are you doing? So we went back inside. But hey, happy Wednesday. Halfway through that work week, one day closer to the weekend.
Speaker 1: And as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride.
Speaker 2: Spence checkets behind the mic. That's Porter Larson behind the glass. Today, the LA Lakers are in Salt Lake City. Luka Doncic is expected to play. He was listed as questionable yesterday, but mark Stein and others have reported today that he is now upgraded to probable.
Speaker 1: So the Jazz are not the storyline.
Speaker 2: Of course, as history continues to be made, this feels pretty seismic as far as what the Lakers have been able to do grabbing Luka Doncic. It's a continuation of what the La Lakers have done for a number of different years, grabbing stars at a premium price and allowing a franchise to be among the championship contenders pretty.
Speaker 1: Much yearned in, year out.
Speaker 2: So we'll do some NBA basketball on the show today with the Lakers in town to take on the Utah Jazz. University of Utah men's basketball team had a real shot last night. It was actually a pretty good game up until the very end where it escalated quickly.
Speaker 1: The game was tied at seventy two apiece.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati went on an eleven to zero run after that and took an eighty five to seventy five win over the Utes back in Salt Lake City. Now coming up on Saturday against Kansas and then Monday against Kansas State for a couple of big twelve basketball games for the Utah men, who, yeah, like I said, had a shot to get that win. Would have been a good win on the road, but went cold down the stretch. Some bad turnovers and some bad closing from the Utes. It allowed Cincinnati to take the win. Bring them Young with a quad one win on the road last night in Morgantown beating West Virginia a really good college basketball game. Diego Demon hit a big three and a couple of free throws, and BYU was able to get the win, and as of now they are one of the four last four teams in according to Joe Lonardi after getting a quad one win. As the Big twelve season continues to unfold, Utah Women taking on Colorado seven o'clock tonight here in Salt Lake City the Huntsman Center. So we've got some college basketball on the show today. Of course, we have some NBA basketball on the show today as well.
Speaker 1: Gets ready for the Jazz game tonight.
Speaker 2: Look back on the NFL season that was and behind us now with a Super Bowl finished, and we'll look at to the offseason in pro football already a lot of interesting topics. All the coaching vacancies have been filled, were high speed ahead to the NFL drafts. So we'll do some football on the program today as well. Tom Homo, after twenty years as the Brighamy Young Athletic Director, had his press conference today.
Speaker 1: Caught that earlier as I was doing some show prep.
Speaker 2: I thought Tom was very honest and very forthcoming about the challenges that he faced during his twenty years, and I thought it was a really interesting, interesting presser in a lot of different ways. So Tom Homo steps aside after twenty years down at BYU and the nationwide replacement I should say the nationwide search for replacement is on. As the President bringing me on, was sitting next to Tom Shane, Reese and Shane talked about President Reese talked about the process that they will take take on now to try to replace what in many ways it has to be a very very successful twenty year stretch with Tom Homo at at the home. So a lot of topics today, a lot of things to get to on the program. Good guest list right out of the gates, mikey amb will stop by from the NFL Network. We'll do some college and pro football with Mike Neil Smith. Excuse me, something just flew directly in my mouth that felt like a Bugold, Nope.
Speaker 1: We're good.
Speaker 2: Hold on something like Seriously, you ever been on like a four wheeler a motorcycle and you're driving in like a June bug flies in like dumb and dumber style.
Speaker 3: I think the amount of times I ride the Jordan River Trail just on my bicycle, I've consumed more bugs than i'd like to count.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really gross.
Speaker 3: We can hit the instant replay.
Speaker 1: No, we're good.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on YouTube, if there's a replay of what just flew directly in my mouth, go ahead and text in I'm not sure what that was, but man, it hit me right in the back of the throat. Anyway, moving on, so after Mike stops by, we'll bring in Neil Smith for a little Utah Hockey Club, little NHL conversation on the program today. Sean Sayed, who was a guest on this show last week and essentially called the Philadelphia Eagle blowout in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So we'll let Sean come on from.
Speaker 2: Summer Sports and do a little bit of a victory lap, and we'll talk some offseason NFL in the program today, and then our guys Smitty Richard Smith live in studio for the four o'clock hour with Lebron James Lukadocs and the LA Lakers in town and the All Star Break upon us now in just a couple of days, Well look back on it's not the first half of the season, but now that we have the All Star Break coming up. Talked to Smitty about what he's seen from the Jazz so far and ultimately what he's hoping to see from these young kids as they move forward.
Speaker 1: Now for the final thirty ish games of the season.
Speaker 2: So Mike am, Neil Smith, Jean Sayad, Richard Smith, me Spence check its, I'll be the great listeners.
Speaker 1: Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 2: And that guy PORTERA Larson who did not have a bug flying Ito was throats.
Speaker 1: Just now you're a Lebron guy.
Speaker 2: Is it odd to think that the Lakers are in town and Lebron is not their best player? He's not now right now, Luka Doncic is a better player than Lebron James. Okay, yes, nobody would would refute that. I'm not talking about their careers. I'm talking about today right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's an odd feeling, and I think it's probably for Lebron welcomed at forty years old. And listen, this is no slight to Dwayne Wade, no slight to Chris Bosch or Kyrie Irving. He's never played with a Luka Doncic, right, A guy. That part of that is saying, well, we've never seen a player like Luca, But yeah, man, he does some things that Lebron does really well and kind of replicates them. And for the Lakers, that's got to be welcome when you're trying to maybe limit some of the minutes for a guy that's forty years old. Hey, why not get a guy that does a lot of the things he can do and might be doing it for the next ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: As I've been saying since that trade went down a few weeks ago, the cruel part, if you're an NBA fan or not a Lakers fan, is there's not a player in pro basketball it's better equipped to take over this Laker team than Luca once Lebron retires because they do so many things that are similar. So Lakers in Town tonight, Jazz and Action tonight. Our first guest right out of the gates is going to be mikey Am. But before we get to my courtesy of our friends at Harmon's Valentine's Day coming up on Friday, it is time now for your opening tips, So don't blow it. Say it with Flowers is Valentine's Day with Harmon's Flower Shop. Every arrangement is crafted by a Harmon's floral designer, adding a thoughtful personal touch to your Valentine's gift. Partner with the best growers to bring you fresh, long lasting flowers to truly impress whether you need a last bit of Valentine surprise and want to plan ahead, Harmon's makes it simple with flower shops in every store and delivery available from our full service flower shop in West Valley. Classic roses, trendy blooms, Harmon's Aufer's a wide variety of flowers to help you find the perfect arrangement for your special someone. They've got double r ranch beef. You can do a little surf and turf. They've got prime, They've got choice wag you all available.
Speaker 1: If you need cooking tips, ask a Harmon's associate.
Speaker 2: Miss Kavanaugh's chocolate hearts available as well, made locally in North Salt Lake Choes from mint, caramel or peanut butter. If you want a custom heart, just ask a Harmon's Bakery associate. Locations and information online at Harmon'sgrocery dot com. All right, we're gonna bring in Mike Yam, but I wanted to talk a little bit real quick, and we'll get back to some of this.
Speaker 1: I think Smithy will have some thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: After twenty years, Tom Homo has stepped aside as the athletic director down at BYU. The replacement is certainly not yet identified the president. Reeche, the president of Brigham Young, was sitting by Tom today during their press conference, and he said that they are going to have a national search and then laid out the criteria. You have to essentially lead with Jesus Christ in mind. It's a faith based institution. You have to align yourself with a mission of Brigham Young well at the same time leading the athletic department forward into whatever's next. And I think Tom probably did that better than anybody could have expected. It is a challenging task, and I've said oftentimes both on this show and other shows I've done in the market nearly twenty years now, being the athletic director of BYU, I don't know if it's the hardest job in college athletics, but it is among the hardest jobs. And I thought Tom was very front facing and forthcoming and honest today during his presson, or maybe more so than I'd ever heard him before. And it's always funny when you get the guy that's just retired, or you get the guy that's just changed teams, then you get the real deal. Then you actually get the story right now that they're not tied down to actually tow the line and say the things that they're supposed to say every time they do media or every time they're front facing in public. Among the most interesting things I heard from Tom today during his presser is about four or five years into the job. Four or five years into I guess independence would be the better way to put that. He went home to his wife Laurie and said, I can't do this. This is too hard, you know, to navigate independence, and I'll continue to say this. To navigate independence, to navigate everything you have to navigate as the athletic director while aligning yourself to the values of a place as unique and as stringent, honestly speaking as Brigham Young, is a remarkable accomplishment that Tom should walk away feeling very proud of.
Speaker 1: I mean, of every department.
Speaker 2: In you know, in the ecosystem of that university, the athletic department is probably the one that does not naturally align itself with the values of a faith based institution more so than any other department. And that's a tricky dance to dance when you're Tom Homo leading that department, and most, if not all of his hires he knocked out of the park. Bronco was a great hire Kalani taking over from Bronco. You know, at times was a little tenuous and there were questions, but he settled in now and obviously he's the right guy for that program. He hired Dave Rose, which probably Dave is the best basketball coach in the history of Brigham Young. He hired Mark Pope, who would still be here if Mark didn't leave for one of the best jobs in all of college basketball University of Kentucky. I still have some questions about Kevin Young, but the early returns as far as talent acquisition for the basketball program with Kevin in charge have been nothing other than a Grand slam Yegor Demon Cannon catching's two NBA players. They probably have some other pros on that roster this year, and then aj Debontsa rolling into town next year is the number one recruit in the country. Under you know, Kevin Young, you cannot argue with the talent. I do think there's some questions about the coaching, but only time will tell. But ultimately Tom is a good and he did a great job down there for what I perceive to be one of, if not the hardest jobs in all of college athletics. Administration the athletic director at BYU. Man that's a tough gig, and whoever's next is taking over for a legend, which is always a tough thing. But having the big twelve landing spot, which I think is the crown jewel achievement of Tom Homo's tenure, will allow whoever takes over more of a runway than Tom had.
Speaker 1: So kind of the biggest story here locally.
Speaker 2: Tom Holmo stepping aside from a BYU athletic director, that gig that he had for twenty years, and they'll have a replacement in place by late August is what I understand. Jazz in action tonight taking on the LA Lakers. Luka Doncic was initially listed as questionable, but he was upgraded to probable about an hour ago, according to Mark Stein and others. So you will see Lebron, you will see Luca, and you know the Jazz will be there too.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to that game. We'll get you ready for the game tonight.
Speaker 2: But let's do a little pro football with our guy, Mike Yam formerly the Pac twelve. That's how we got to know him, and with the NFL Network. On a Wednesday afternoon Mike. Happy Wednesday, sir, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great. I feel like neither one of us should talk and we should just fade back up little pearl Jam better man.
Speaker 7: I'm okay with that, Mike.
Speaker 2: I've long said that NFL, or excuse me, fmdjs have the best gig in the world.
Speaker 1: They come in, They're like.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's thirty degrees outside, and here's Pearl Jam. Then they chill for like six or seven minutes. Unfortunately, what you and I do for a living, we actually have to fill the content.
Speaker 1: Although you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start with the uncomfortable stuff, which is a question I have for you about my freaking New York Football Jets. So it looks like they are going to move on from Aaron, which I applaud. He is a locker room cancer and he's not good at football anymore. So what do you make of where we find ourselves with the Jets? What do you think is next? Do you think they're going to bottom out and try to find their way through the draft.
Speaker 6: So this is a really big subject because if there's one team in the end l where there's a real case study on what to do, what not to do what direction if you're thinking about going down.
Speaker 7: And is it a good idea bad idea?
Speaker 6: I will give them a lot of credit in this regard, and you probably would agree with this. They went for it, and they had a really good team a couple of years ago that seemed to be deficient on the offensive side, so they said, hey, what's our best option right now? And they went and signed Aaron Rodgers. And I think there's a couple of different ways to look at this. It clearly didn't work out, and it's probably a good thing that both sides are free and clear of this. But I will say this, they just trade for Devonte Adams right and were willing to continue even as the wheels were falling off, and they had fired Robert Sala at that point. They said, hey, let's keep building, let's keep trying to make a push here. And clearly it wasn't enough, but I think the organization had to say it in themselves. This is what Aaron Rodgers does. This is the offense that he brings to the table. He's at a stage in his career two years ago where it's like, yo, he wants the guys that are comfortable in that system, understand where they need to be when they need to be there, and they're not going to make a bunch of play calls. And not to go on a tangent here, I was talking to a Polleague of Mind and NFL network Isaiah standback and he's down in that Dallas area. We were together for the Shrine Bowl a couple weeks ago when the Cowboys decided to go a shot and Himer and he turns to me and you see, you know why this is a really good move for Dak.
Speaker 7: It's because he doesn't.
Speaker 6: Have to worry about remaking an entire offense right and like learning things from scratch, there's some continuity that is going to be in place. Rich down to him are in the fold, and I think the same thing could be said Baron Rodgers. They try to make him as comfortable as possible. Look, it didn't work out the first season, gets hurt obviously, a couple snaps into the game, and we're now seeing where if you're coming off an Achilles injuries, sometimes you're just not going to look right, like as Kirk Cousins, the Kirk Cousins that I saw for most of this year, or is he closer to the one that I saw two years ago. When he's really healthy, I would argue, like it hurts not as bad as what we witnessed there. I just don't think he was healthy. And I think as Aaron Rodgers started to get a little bit healthy as the season went on, he did start to look a little bit better, but you know, a little too late, and they had to go and move on.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm not even answering your question here, but it does feel like the Jets have two paths to go. Do we rebuild in this draft and I don't think that this is a great quarterback class, which is what they need. Do they find that bridge guy and insert him in in free agency to sort of piece this thing together. Maybe, but there's a part of me that says, you know, they might just try to pick this thing apart in the draft and rebuild.
Speaker 1: Do you think Aaron's done? Do you think that's it for Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 7: No, I don't.
Speaker 6: I think there's going to be interests because of who he is, and I think we saw enough flashes late in the season where I think there's a team that's like, you know, maybe he's got got a little left here in the tank, and maybe it's good enough to bridge the gap before we go to either a young quarterback or we see what happens in the draft next season.
Speaker 7: There's god.
Speaker 6: I was talking with Brian Baldinger about this the other day. You look through the top ten, you make an argument like, sixty seven of those teams need a quarterback. There's not six or seven first round arms in this year's draft, and lord knows there's not six top ten quarterbacks in this year's draft. Last year, what we saw with the run of six guys going those first twelve picks, like that's not going to happen again this year. At least it's not my opinion that that's going to happen. And if that's the case, guys like Aaron Rodgers, I think, do find a home. And by the way, do you think he wants to finish out this way? There's a part of me that says no, like he's he wants to get back out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I tend to agree with you, and it only takes one general manager to believe that. And your point about going all in to at least give it a shot is very fair and as Jets fan who has for years wondered when they would actually do that. I will admit to having some sort of excitement about the endeavor.
Speaker 1: It just didn't work out.
Speaker 2: But let's move off the Jets, and that's actually talk about the game that was played, you know, just a few days back now and one hundred and thirty seven point seven mili at its peak, and then you add the streaming numbers and the Spanish broadcast numbers. So my first question, Mike is how has football captured this market share? And do you think we're just in for this ride where they're because every year it's a new record, it's not going in the wrong direction. Do you think we're on this trajectory where every year we're going to see the audiences grow.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say yes, because there's a huge, huge catalyst coming and in my mind, it's the idea of the international audience and the expansion that is happening and finding different markets in Europe, finding different markets in South America as well. They haven't even come close to tapping the Asian market, like I don't even think. I know, there's an effort and there's a lot of progress that's being made behind the scenes. But can you imagine globally, because we talked about the NFL at least in headquarters as a global sport, and I think there's a real argument for it. When you talk about these games that are selling out in Munich and Brazil and obviously we're going to get in Ireland right now, Like that's all great, but when they haven't even come close to tapping that market, like I haven't heard the conversations about a game in Japan or China or insert you know, in Asian country. So I think that there's still a ridiculous amount of legs for this sport.
Speaker 7: You think about flag.
Speaker 6: Football being included into the Olympics, I think there's a lot. There's a lot to be said where that audience is going to continue to grow, which is mind boggling to me.
Speaker 2: So I don't love the whole like what does one loss mean for a player's legacy? But I do want to ask you about the winning quarterback instead of leading the conversation with the Chiefs and Mahomes because I just and look, I am no NFL scout and I am comfortable being an observer and having an informed opinion because I've been doing this for a long time, but I'm not some expert. I just was never on board with the conversation about Jalen. I just wasn't like it felt like they were intentionally rushing the football because I had a great offensive line and they have probably the best running back of this generation, and a couple of years ago in the Super Bowl, Jalen passed for over three hundred Like he can throw the football. And yes, I know there are some numbers to be critical of and maybe the lack of accuracy from time to time, and he might have the best one two punch as far as receivers in the entire NFL. But I just I always believed that at some point that this dude was going to get it done. I've been a fan of his way back in Bama when he lost his job and stayed in college and stayed the course.
Speaker 1: What did this win do for the narrative surrounding Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 6: I think it changes it dramatically, and I think you're hitting the nail the head and it was something that was bothering me. I do a new podcast with Lamar Hurt, who I know is a buddy of yours and has probably been on the show a million times that we were talking about it last night actually on the episode, and I said to him, like, I got to the point where I was really disappointed with and it's partly my fault too, right, Like I could have spoken up on like the five hour Super Bowl Live show that I did last week, right, like you're doing all this coverage and I'm thinking to myself, like i'd get the low hanging fruit of legacy with Mahomes and going for a repeat and the tailor Show Travis Kelsey situation. But there was one point, Spence, like during the week, I was working with David Carr and in one of our commercial breaks, I turned to him and I just said, do you see it the way that I see it? And he looked at me and he's like, where are you going with this? And I said, I see a world where the Chiefs win small like, for sure they can win this game. I mean, look at the season, look at the team, look at my homes. Of course they can win the Super Bowl. But I see it where the Eagles can win a close game. But I got to tell you, I also see the Eagles mashing this team, and I don't see Kansas City being able to say the same thing. And he started to laugh and he said, I've been thinking the same thing, and I go, I'm not going to say that on air just because I'm the host, right, like he's the analyst. And he did pick Philadelphia in that game. They didn't think it was going to be a wrecking ball the way that he didn't say it was going to be a wrecking ball the way that it turned out. But as Jalen Hurts is on that podium, Spence I started thinking to myself, why not the Eagles being the new dynasty. And I'm not suggesting Kansas City is going away. All I'm saying is Jalen Hurts is young. Right, So they got a guy who's in place who two years ago was in the MVP conversation that we've built their coordinators two seasons ago off of that loss, and it was a bad year for Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 7: It was on the hot seat.
Speaker 6: People were talking about this losing his job. Now he's a Super Bowl winner. They get stay Kwon Barkley, they got a young defense, Like think about what Kansas City has done.
Speaker 7: They've built around the homes.
Speaker 6: Philly got Jalen hurts. They got skill position players that are in the fold. Kansas City kind of lost some of those dudes. But the reason why the Chiefs were in this game is because of their defense, fense and what they've done in this draft. Look at what Howie Roseman has done, their general manager, Eagles GM. But he's starting to build a team that's got young studs on the defensive side, on the front half of that, in that front seven and in the back end. I just look at that and go, hey, really, I don't think is going anywhere. And maybe I'm just being dramatic because it's they're coming off the Super Bowl win, but I really do think the framework.
Speaker 2: Is there for this team, and that's where I wanted to go next. And I know you got to go in a minute. So I have one Kansas City question for you.
Speaker 6: No got I got a couple. I get a couple, So whatever.
Speaker 1: You need, Okay, cool, Okay, Kennedy, I.
Speaker 6: Just got a text at a meeting, got canceled.
Speaker 1: Se Oh cool, okay, great more Mike am is better for us.
Speaker 2: So you know, we talk a lot about you know, Mahomes twenty nine Josh Allen Lamar twenty eight, Jalen's twenty six and Sequon's twenty eight, AJ's twenty seven, DeVante's twenty six. I mean, look, when you win at a high level, you are going to lose coaches, which they have again, and there are going to be players that need to get paid, so they're not going to run it back entirely. But the bulk of their team is in place and they are young. What are you willing to say about what is now possible after watching them just dismantle this modern day dynasty in Kansas City?
Speaker 6: So do I think they can get back and win another Super Bowl in the next two to three seasons?
Speaker 7: Yes, I absolutely do think that that is the case.
Speaker 6: We and you, and I don't want to put words in your mouth that I've been on with you enough to know kind of like we think similarly in terms of some of the personnel and the teams that are out there, Like, I don't think this is going you know, the hot take like the AFC has got better teams collectively. But if you said to me, who are the most complete teams in the NFL, two of them are in the NFC and one is in the AFC. And that's the Baltimore Ravens, and then I would throw the Lions in with the Eagles.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: And it's not to say that Kansas City is not good. It's not to say Buffalo is not good, or you know, the Houston Texans on the rise, whoever, you know what Washington is going to end up being in the next couple of seasons. I just think right now, based off of those rosters, those three teams, to me, are the most complete. And if you've got the most complete teams, I think you got a chance at the end. And to me, that's why I think Philadelphia because of some of those ages that you reference, and because they have a general manager willing to wheel and deal to get this team to this point. Like the Eagles always seem to be active, always seem to pull the right strings, and it's usually not a train wreck like they don't have like these god awful, you know, seasons where you just shake your head and go, what the heck happened? Like maybe they don't live up to the hype, but that's why I really do think like the Eagles absolutely are in the next the next couple of seasons.
Speaker 2: All right, Now, let's move over to the chief side of this, and you know, I don't know where you were at Will while you were watching the game.
Speaker 1: I was shell shocked.
Speaker 2: I thought Kansas City was going to win a close one because it just got sick of I thought Buffalo, I thought it was Josh's year, just get sick of picking against Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. So but actually, before we get to the Chiefs question, at what point during the game, Mike, did you say to yourself, all Right, that's it, that's a rap.
Speaker 6: So d hops drop made me think to myself, like this just might not be it. And obviously at the end of the first quarter, Patrick's eyes got I sound like so dramatic, dude, Like I don't need to be that guy. But they're like, like, am I the only one who saw that? Like you're you're sitting there and you're you're seeing Mahomes kind of run around, and you have flashes of the you know, a Todd Bowles defense in a huge game like the Super Bowl, Just like the dude's head was on a swivel and you look at the tackles on that offensive line and they weren't holding up, and they weren't holding up even when Philly wasn't think I think I saw this, God I should. You would think I would have gone through our postgame research package like eight hundred times. But I'm almost positive that Philly did not blitz in that game and still was able to generate that much pressure. So when I see Mahomes have that type of look, that's at that point I was like, oh, like this, this ain't going to be good for these dudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're You're right, And he was seeing ghosts and that's what happens where every time you drop back, you're running for your life. I mean, I don't really view this and I'm not a I don't think wins and losses are a quarterback stat That's just me. I mean, we kind of do the thing like Mahomes was eight to zero against Vic Fangio prior to.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: But moving over to the Kansas City side, I mean, Andy Reid's coming back next year. Mahomes is still in his twenties. We'll see what happens with Kelsey. This does feel a little bit like the diagnosis we all did after the Tampa Bay Super Bowl loss, where they couldn't protect Mahomes at all. They obviously have offensive line issues, but they're among the favorites in some sports books, the favorite to win it again next year because they have fifteen hundred center. What does the offseason look like and do you anticipate a recalibration and maybe a second or third act with this Kansas City Chiefs team.
Speaker 6: Look, I think they're going to be in the mix again next year because of the Mahomes factor, right, And I think it's even more magnified to me. Some people might say, Hey, that's a lazy take, but my pushback on it would be think about what Mahomes was able to accomplish this year when there were clearly flaws on that team, and I think they were magnified in the Super Bowl. And I think the one thing that Bert Beach is needing to sort to figure out here in the next couple weeks ahead of the draft is how do I fill some of these gaps? And there were gaps on that offensive line. People felt like the shift with Joe Tuni on that offensive line, moving him to the left tackle was going to be enough, and for eight weeks or so, it was, But I think we forgot what the first half of the season looked like for Mahomes, interceptions were piling up, sacks were piling up for him, and there was an unsteady nature around this offense. I think clearly they need a playmaker on that outside to go along with a new Xavier Worthy de hop Unfortunately, you know, wasn't that guy They had to do with injuries with Hollywood Brown. You know, they need to figure out that backfield, but Checko was banged up, you know, like they just never really got that production. But first and foremost is how do you solidify an offensive line in front of Patrick Mahomes? And then how do you add some depth and some pieces on the offensive side, And more importantly, because it's the defense that carried them these last two years, how do you make sure you're in a good spot. So I think you know, in no particular well actually in a particular order. Offensive line's got to be like first, second, and third, and then it's another playmaker, whether it's a running back or a wide receiver, and we got to add some depth to that defense.
Speaker 2: A couple of other just questions around the league. Then I'll set you loose, and if you need to hang up on me, Mike, you know you can in my feelings, so I'm good.
Speaker 7: They just swift.
Speaker 6: I know, I told Porter that I had an out time, but they just they shifted my meeting.
Speaker 7: So like, I'm good for a few minutes. Whatever you need.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, because I did want to ask you. I mean, Jayden Daniels was nearly a ute and then he ended up down at Arizona State, and you were with the network and we had him in the PAC twelve footprint and I remember watching him and being like, yeah, he's fun, Yeah he's exciting, but come on, man, like nobody saw this. And I've got a buddy who's a Commanders fan, and we kind of below our football misery with me being the Jets fan and him being the Commanders fan.
Speaker 1: And if you're a Commanders.
Speaker 2: Fan, now they've got some work to do because he was so good. I think he was able to cover up some real holes at Philly exposed. So what do they do this offseason to make sure they do not waste too clearly is a generational talent and attendant to that, how surprised are you to watch this kid do what he's doing based off the fact that you saw the start of his college career.
Speaker 6: I spent I was at his first start against Kent State. That was a game that was unpacked twelve Network. We were doing our road show there, the first, you know, true freshman to get a start in at the quarterback spot for ASU, and he played. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know it through like maybe two touchdowns in that game and he looked good. And it's funny this time last year, as he's getting ready for the draft, Michael Robinson on one of my buzz and colleagues in NFL, kept telling me he's like, yo, man, I think I might like him better than Caleb. And it was so hard for me to boot the skinny, thin kid, who, by the way, you know, goes to LSU and has eyesmen. It's not like I need to see him play really well in his last stop, but it's hard sometimes to boot you those early perceptions that you have of a guy.
Speaker 7: He's been terrific.
Speaker 6: He's the reason why people watch the draft. He's the reason why there are, you know, a bunch of teams in the top ten who feel like they are just one player away from changing the fortunes of an entire franchise. And it's not to say that Caleb's not going to be good, but we saw bo Nicks have some great flashes for a Denver team that we didn't think was going to be able to play as well as they did. Kudos to Sean Payton in that regard as well. The only pushback and by the way, I'm not the only one saying this, and I'm not saying it's going to happen, but no, Cijo Strout took a little bit of a step back, I thought this past season, and how do you ensure that that's not the case for four or Jane and Daniels. I don't know what I would point to other than I think some teams figured out how to make CJ a little uncomfortable. They had some real injuries that they needed to navigate, and I thought that was a factor they were rushing him defenses. I felt like he was under more pressure this season than he was in his rookie campaign. But it feels like Jane's got a slightly different skill set because of his mobility, what he does with his legs, where he might be able to negate some of that stuff and be just as good, if not better, in year two.
Speaker 1: So you're referenced Caleb, and it's interesting.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people that have dissenting opinions on who he can be, and I like him.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot there.
Speaker 2: I know that some people don't love the perceived Prima Donna stuff or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: I think we saw a lot during his rookie year that indicated that he was getting better, and now they bring in Ben Johnson and I don't know, Mike, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I've never been one to like Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 2: His opening press conference made us all cringe and we're like, is this dude okay?
Speaker 1: And he just won a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: There just isn't anything about Ben's personality that I've seen so far that makes me believe he's like a Dan Campbell culture builder. But maybe you don't have to be because he's so brilliant offensively. How does this look now that Chicago has an offensive minded coach for a young quarterback who I still believe can be really special.
Speaker 7: Huge in such a meaningful way.
Speaker 6: I'm with you, and I think the people that I've talked to around you know that team that franchise, or at least know Ben. I think that's part of the concern, right, like and Ben get in a room and own it the way Dan Campbell can. And by the way, he doesn't need to be Dan Campbell. There's plenty of different personalities that are out there. By and large, I think there's so much optimism around getting an offensive guy who can really work and mold the guy that I thought was a generational type talent coming out of school in Caleb Williams. You know, I would give this context to Jared Goff was almost left for dead, and I couldn't be happier that this guy is balled out the way that he has. You know, they've had some great pieces in Detroit around him, but then was able to get the best out of Jared Goff. And now I think, hey, you've got a guy like Caleb Williams and there are pieces to that offense that are pretty talented. Can you get this team over the hum And there's a part of me that says, you know, they're one of those squads who, you know, I thought they'd be good this year. Obviously there were some real struggles for him and the wheels fell off for him, But I do think next year I would point to them as a team that would be one of the more dangerous ones.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you about another Pac twelve kid, because as a Jets fan, I actually thought the Jets had found their future when they drafted Sam Darnold.
Speaker 1: I did not work out, and maybe that's a Jets problem.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Zach Wilson's family online too, has something to add to that. But I was very happy for Sam to see what he did in Minnesota this year. Although it didn't end the way he was expecting, it feels like he's earned a shot somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where do you think that is?
Speaker 6: I think the Raiders potentially are a good fit. I know there's a lot of people pointing in a Russell Wilson in that regard. I'm with you on Sam. You know, I made references. I said this the other day about say Kwan, and someone hit me up on social media and I'm like, oh my god, Like, you guys are so technical. I talked about how remember that Rulese bowl I said a couple of years ago it was twenty eighteen. You know, Sorry, my frame of reference sometimes, like I don't realize that I'm getting old and I'm forty three now and you know, like twenty eighteen wasn't just two years ago. I'd also argue college doesn't seem that long ago. But you remember that Penn State match against that Sea and you know, just kind of like the head to head stuff, and there were so much buzz around Sam, and I know it didn't play out great for him in his NFL career, but this resurgence has been has been remarkable. And I do think that while the ending was not great for Sam, Kevin O'Connell and like the position he was in at least in that last game raised a couple eyebrows for a few of us at NFL Network as we were doing some of our shows around it. It felt like there weren't like a ton of great adjustments in that game in that second half, and Sam obviously struggled. But Sam deserves another opportunity. I think he gets it, And you know, do I think he gets like a forty million dollar, you know deal somewhere. I don't know if that's the case, but you know, hell, I mean, you know, three weeks left in the season, it was looking like that.
Speaker 7: I don't know what he ends up getting, but.
Speaker 6: The Raiders certainly look like a team that could be one of those squads that that would do.
Speaker 7: Well with him.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean to make this a trip around nostalgic Pac twelve questions, But I have one more question for you before I say you lose, because we are in a market where we have a lot of Broncos fans and I was on the sidelines when Bonick rolled into town with the Oregon Ducks and they just dismantled the utes. But I was pretty skeptical about Bo's potential to playfl football at a high level, and I think he answered a lot of questions. So I'm going to ask you the same question before I said you loose that I asked you about Washington.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you about Denver.
Speaker 2: What do they need to do to make sure that this momentum continues to roll and make sure Bow's ready to go for your two.
Speaker 6: I don't think you're alone in your assessment and what you thought it was going to be. And you know, I think the two of us are sitting here going doing a double take, like damn they played that well, bow balled out like that. I do think another playmaker is solidifying that defense with some depth around there. There were times as I watched this team and I just wondered, like, hey, like what would they be with one of the more talented running backs in the NFL. Did feel like bow was under a lot of pressure to deliver, and by the way he did. You know, Jaden doesn't have Jaden season? Well next to the guy, I mean, it's sort of the same conversation, which is how good can Washington be? How good could Denver be? Well, it turns out pretty damn good. And while people wanted to see Cincinnati sink into the postseason, it was Denver grabbing that last spots. And kudos to that team for having that type of season. But to me, I really do think another playmaker. And I know we had to get to play with his college buddy in Franklin, but I do think there needs to be more of a conservative effort on the offensive side to build.
Speaker 2: A round Bow Mike, Before I set you lose, what is going on? Follow back? I just followed you again on Twitter. That's so weird. I just pulled up your Twitter page and said follow back. I've been following you for like five years. I don't know what the deal is anyway, Twitter. Twitter's weird. I don't know if you've been following the news cycle about the dude the team's down the company, but it's kind of a weird, weird spot for social media right now. I know they call it except Yeah, but before I set you lose fried Rice and Marinara, you've written a children's book and you also have a new podcast. So tell our listeners where they can go get your work.
Speaker 7: No, I appreciate it, by the way, Like I didn't even follow the guy who owns I.
Speaker 6: Don't want to make this political deal, but like it's almost like I'm on his timeline. Like it's kind of crazy to me, which is just wild. Anyway, appreciate it as always, man you mentioned in the book, it's a certainly a huge passion project for me, Privorus and Marinara.
Speaker 7: It is on Amazon.
Speaker 6: If anyone is purchasing a review would be amazing. I do have another one coming out at the end of the year. It was just corresponding with some folks about that, got some football ties on that one, and then all ball with Lamar Hurd, one of my best friends from my days at Pac twelve. It is obviously the TV analysts for the Blazers, we're doing a little West Coast, We're doing some NML. We're doing a little MBA conversation. It airs on the PAC twelve Conferences YouTube page and you can listen to.
Speaker 7: It as well.
Speaker 6: So I appreciate you a mentally man, even just bringing that up.
Speaker 1: Always good to hear voice my friend. Be well, well, chat soon.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're the best man. Take care the.
Speaker 1: Great Mike Yeam.
Speaker 2: We got to know him when the PAC twelve was a thing kids, look it up YouTube, and now I was with our friends at the NFL. Always appreciate Mike's time before we catch break out to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks, which is the best place to get real money, real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars and awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. All you have to do is pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win up to one thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season along on Prize Picks all Star weekends almost here. Prize Picks is the best place to win cash while watching your favorite players during the game. On excuse me during the game and the Saturday night events like the three point Contest or the Dunk Contest as well. If you have not taken their free money, you might as well go do that and then play around see if you like it. Download the prize picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred and get fifty dollars instantly when you play just five dollars promo code ESPN seven hundred one. Prize Picks get fifty dollars instantly. When you play just five dollars, win or lose, you're gonna get fifty bucks for just playing. That's guaranteed. Prize Picks run your game all season long. A little bit of breaking news, only because we've been covering this story quite a bit, the Department of Education has recinded the It was not a ruling. It was just a memo sent around by the Department of Education prior to Joe Biden leaving the White House and Donald Trump taking over that NIL would be under Title nine guidelines, and that has been rescinded. We'll get back to it because there is some storylines applicable to our local scene here. We're also going to bring in Neil excuse me, Richard Smith. Neil Smith's on the phone. We're bringing him in right now. But Richard Smith live in studio. He gets ready for Jazz Laker Sean saiad for some DFL. But the aforementioned Neil Smith stops by for our weekly conversation about the world of professional hockey.
Speaker 1: Neil, Happy Wednesday, sir?
Speaker 4: How are you Happy Wednesday?
Speaker 7: To you?
Speaker 4: And there's too many Smiths, I mean, how do you keep them all straight?
Speaker 2: Well, especially in our state. Smith is a very popular name in the state of Utah.
Speaker 7: Neil.
Speaker 1: So we've got Neil Smith.
Speaker 2: Former NHL executive now Richard Smith spent forty years with the Jazz front office. I gotta know, did are you a Are you a Super Bowl guy? I know you're a hockey guy.
Speaker 1: Did you get not really?
Speaker 4: I you know what, Spence. I was driving eleven and a half hours on Sunday to go from New York back home to South Carolina. So the roads were quite good because most people that have life were watching the Super Bowl. But I was behind the wheel of a car.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, do you are you all hockey? Do you take it any basketball or anything else? Or is it just all hockey for you.
Speaker 4: You know, don't tell your dad that I don't watch basketball. No, I mean when I was at the garden, I used to love the Knicks and I and I really do appreciate the athleticism a basketball boy. When you say courtside and see those guys, it's it's unbelievable. And baseball I love. I don't know who could grow up in North America not sort of like baseball because it's, you know, the American game, and it's so easy to go to a game and just enjoy yourself. You don't need, you know, you don't need to really know the score, just going to enjoy the day. So but I mostly, you know, grew up in Canada. I'm a Canuck. I'm all hockey all the time.
Speaker 1: Well fair enough.
Speaker 2: Well it's good that you're all hockey all the time because you are hockey experts, so we need your knowledge.
Speaker 1: So four nations face off.
Speaker 2: I know it's not something that moves the needle for you, but it does allow a little bit of a respite, a little bit of a reset right this time of year where the hockey clubs offer another number of days. So what do you think the boxes are they need to be checked around NHL front offices with this break. Are you using it to get healthy? Are you looking at your roster maybe to make some moves. What does this pause and action do for the world of the NHL new.
Speaker 4: Well, First of all, I think that the general managers that have players playing in the tournament are doing a lot of praying every night that their players don't get hurt, because these are their best players. And the one team who's actually up at the top of the league that has nobody playing in the tournament is Washington. It's amazing. So Chris Patrick the GM, and Spencer Carbury the coach, they're relieved, they go on vacation and they can just enjoy watching the four Nations. But the other gms, I can tell you, are just sitting there praying that their guys don't get hurt. I think for the gms that aren't involved, you know, it's all of the above. It's what you said. They're looking to see who they should add. Are they a seller, are they a buyer? Where have they got a realistic chance? And they're evaluating their lineup and they're evaluating their injuries. And this is a great break for a player who's got a nagging injury to get a couple of ten days to two weeks off to rest and heal.
Speaker 2: So, as we say here now only twenty six games left for the Utah Hockey Club, which, honestly, is I'm saying that out loud, that is wild.
Speaker 1: It feels like they just landed in our market.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I wanted to do a little bit of a kind of a reset and a look back on the fifty six games that have been played here for the Utah Hockey Club. And honestly, I'll give you a lot of credit because they are in a spot where you told us you thought they would be.
Speaker 1: They are right there for the wildcard.
Speaker 2: There are six points back of Vancouver, they're a full nine excuse me, eleven back of Colorado. But they're right where you told us you thought they would be, as we are now sitting here in February, and down the stretch we go. So before we look forward, let's look back on the fifty six games that have been played, the good, the bad, Your thoughts on the hockey club as we sit here right now.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, my good friend and partner on my podcast, Vic Morin, made up a great chart for me that we're going to use on the podcast showing all the teams and how many games they have left, how many home games, how many games against over five hundred teams, how many games against sub five hundred teams, playoff teams and non playoff teams, And it really gives you a great picture. I'll tell you with a quick statement about Utahn. You and I have talked about this all year. Nine to twelve and six at home is really not going to do it. I mean, the other there only have nine games at home. That's two less than Vancouver has at home. That's seven less than Calgary has at home, three less than Saint Louis has at home, and it's four less than Anaheim Ducks have at home. So if they were just five hundred, if they were twelve, if they were twelve, twelve and three, you know, that's a big deal. That's an extra three point so they would have in the standings, which would put them even closer. So that being not good on home ice, which is the opposite of where they were at Mullet Arena back in Arizona, has really cost them this season.
Speaker 2: You know, I know I've asked you this, But let's dig into a little bit more because there are a couple of things that I've noticed they really struggle with. And obviously the home ice and inability to capture maximum points here in Salt Lake is a big problem.
Speaker 1: They also don't close Neil.
Speaker 2: They went through the stretch where I think it was thirteen straight games were either tied or leading heading into the third period, and I think they had three or four wins during that thirteen game stretch.
Speaker 1: What gives it?
Speaker 2: Is it, Okay, a new market, It's not an expansion team, but it is a new home for these coaches and players in the staff.
Speaker 1: Is it youth? Is it inexperience?
Speaker 2: Like the inability to get points at home and close out What does that say to you?
Speaker 4: What that says to me is that it's a young group and they're a nervous group. Once the other team scores, they come out early in the games and do quite well. They're fast their score. I mean, look at their last game in Washington. They got a big lead on the best team in the league, and then they were able to come back and tie them in the last seconds of the game, and then Utah went on to win in the shootout, but they start what we call squeezing your stick tighter, meaning that you get all nervous, like, oh my god, here we go again. Are we going to lose again. We can't lose again. We can't lose again. That's what happens to an inexperienced team. An experienced team goes up to nothing, goes up to nothing, gets a goal scored on them. They go, so what you know, inexperienced team is so happy that they've got the lead, and then the other team scores and they go, oh my god, no, please, please, don't do this again. So it's it's just a maturation process. And yeah, you're right, this is not an expansion team. It's an established team, but it's a young team and we're going to have to get experience in how to handle and protect the lead.
Speaker 2: You reference, you know, general managers in front offices utilizing this little break to kind of look around. The trade deadline is March seventh, Neal, Is that right? Ver second week of March something like that?
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 2: So yet okay, so so Bill Armstrong right now taking this opportunity to analyze his group, and as you and I have discussed all year, This is a club with clean books and draft capital. Should they want to make an addition to exibite the growth, they have the ability to.
Speaker 1: Do that now.
Speaker 2: Bill has also talked on the record often times about this process and how they've been implementing the process for a number of years.
Speaker 1: They're not going to stray from it.
Speaker 2: We had a general manager here named Dennis Lindsay from the Jazz who always said, we will not skip steps.
Speaker 1: We are going to do this the hard way. We're going to learn our lessons, we're going to grow.
Speaker 2: But just generally speaking, what sort of conversations you think Bill and staff are having about the potential of adding to the group for the stretch run.
Speaker 4: And all. Honestly, and I don't want to throw water on a playoff run, but I think that where they'll be right now is they'll be talking about whether or not they can get anything back to add to this group for the future. I don't think they'll be talking about trying to gout and get something to fortify them for this little last run here, because time is running out quickly. As you said, they got twenty six games to go, fourteen at home, twelve on the road. It's not going to be easy at this point, and Vancouver is the odds on favorite to get into the playoffs. And remember, they were really good team last year. This year they've hit a lot of different self inflicted roadblocks. But I think, you know, the GM Armstrong and his staff should be, you know, pre they should be moderately happy about this season. They've come into the market, they've had a decent year. They've kept themselves in the fight all the time. And I'm not saying Spencer out of the fight now. They should keep fighting right till the deadline comes, when they've got to make that buyer seller decision. But I would think that they're sitting around saying, what can we do to get a draft picks or young assets so that our team is fortified again for the next year and beyond.
Speaker 2: I know I've talked to you about the goaltending situation, but it just the numbers say Vimealka is the guy.
Speaker 1: The data says he is the guy.
Speaker 2: And Ingram was hurt for a while and then he came back, and they're they're kind of doing the thing where they're rotating based off of what that game needs, based off of what the Knight needs. But if I guess the way, I'll post the question, like if they found a way to make it into the postseason where it's like, all right, we have to have our best players on the ice. Do you think coach tourney simply goes Vimelka based off the numbers?
Speaker 1: Or because Connor was the uh, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Kind of the guy a year ago and he was the incumbent to win the jobs, you think he looks at potentially Connor because all of the data indicates Mamelka has been the better goaltender all year long. If they made the postseason, who do you think would be there in goal?
Speaker 4: I think the Milka just on what you said, because coaches are going to go in the numbers, and I also think that the Milka is going to be the guy they're going to turn to when they play the two games that they've got left against Vancouver and the important games like beating Calgary, beating Sonola's, beating Anaheim. In the games they've got remaining, that's when you want to have your best out there, and I think the Milka has been the best. Now having said that, here is a question for Bill Armstrong. The Milk is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, So do they get him signed and make sure that he's coming back to Utah, or do they see if anybody needs a real good backup that's going into the playoffs, that maybe has got an injury to their backup or maybe has a problem. You're not going to trade them as a number one going into the playoffs, but you might be able to find a team that needs a real quality backup. Do they move them or do they sign them and keep them in Utah. That's something I certainly can't answer, but I do know he has played. He's been the best go attender this year in my opinion, and I think he has You know, he's an unrestricted guy, so they got to decide what is the future for Tural.
Speaker 2: Curious as to moving away from Utah Hockey Club as we have this trade deadline now, you know, still a few weeks away, which teams, Neil, are you hearing that would be active and which players do you think are available that could be moved prior to that March deadline That actually could change the scope of the league.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's hard to figure out who's going to be active when the deadline comes, you know, coming up to the deadline, because it's always the best teams that are going to be the most active and take the biggest swing of the bat at the plate because they've got a chance to win it. And so I would think that the Washington Capitals and the Winnipeg Jets are going to try to fortify what they've got, which means that they could go, for example, and we're talking to Utah, so let's look at Utah. They could come to Utah and say, you know, Bukestad, do you have any interest in you know, what are I got to give you the buke Stad or what have I got to give you for Kerkfoot. Those are two guys that Utah has as unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. So that's you know, that's where those top teams and the playoff teams will be trying to fortify for this run right now. I mean, maybe if Fortuso comes off the ir he's a guy that won a Stanley Cup with Saint Louis back in eighteen, maybe he'd be a guy that someone would warrant as a depth defenseman because you can never have enough when the playoffs start. But that's that's what the teams that are in the mix are going to be looking to add. The teams that aren't in the mix are obviously looking to get whatever they can for their UFAs.
Speaker 2: All Right, I have a little fun question I want to end with, but before we get there, I'm going to ask you, if you had to pick right now in the East and the West, your two favorite teams to advance and play for the Stanley Cup, one team from the East, one team from the West.
Speaker 4: And why, oh boy, Well, from the West, I'm going to say Winnipeg only because they've had this unbelievable year and last year they got knocked out early and I think they've learned from that. They've got the best schoolie in the league. So I'll take Winnipeg in the West, even though Edmonton's a great team and we all know that Connor McDavid and Leon Tricedel and all that. And in the East, I'm going to go back to Florida, even though Washington's had this great year. I think Florida is a veteran team. They've been there, they know how to get there. I'd say it's going to come down to between Washington and Florida, And at the end of the day, I think Florida would win that last round. But that's that's splitting here. You know it's going to be one of those two, I think against Winnipeg, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Moving over to the question, I wanted to kind of kick the tires with you on before I set you loose.
Speaker 1: On a Wednesday, you know, the Lakers are in town.
Speaker 2: Luka Doncic, I can't believe I'm saying that, but Luka Doncic, Lebron James on the same team. Lakers are in town, and the general manager of the Dallas Mavericks is under a tremendous amount of heats after moving on from a generational player at the agent twenty five, I wanted to know, Neil, what one transaction that you made as a roster constructor in the NHL, Which one transaction gave you the most anxiety, Like there's a lot riding on this and you decided to go with it anyway because your gut told you to do it.
Speaker 1: Is there one that comes to mind?
Speaker 4: I would say the one that was the one that was the most gave me the most anxiety, gave me the best results, and that was trading for Mark Mesia back in ninety one, who was a generational player who won six Stanley Cups. But I did trade two young players and Bernie Nichols, who was a seventy goal scorer for the LA Kings at one time, to Edmonton, and I trusted that Mark still had it at his age to lead us and to get us there. And did he ever. I mean, he did more than I would ever have hoped for. But it did. When you talk about that feeling that you get when you push the button on a big trade and you know, if it doesn't work, guess who's going to get their head cut off. It's going to be you. I mean, that's the one that probably caused me the most anxiety.
Speaker 2: And that one worked out just fine. Neil, There's no doubt about that. Before I say you lose, and it may be the answer to this question may include the player you just alluded to the best duo all time, two players playing together in NHL history, Because we have Luke and Lebron and I best best duo and you can give us a couple of examples. I mean, there are a lot of options here, but in your opinion, the best duo who played together in the history of pro hockey.
Speaker 4: I guess I got to say Gretzky and Missy in Edmonton. You know, they won four Stanley Cups together. I'm sure there were guys on the Islanders who won four Stanley Cups when you win Trotcy and pot Than and Bossy and those guys, and then the great Montreal teams at one four in a row at the you know, at the very end of the seventies there with Lafleur and the great defense they had, and Ken Dryden and net there's a lot. There's a lot there. Bobby Or and Phil Esposito in the early seventies when they won two Cups for Boston. There's been quite a few. You know, we have more players that are active during the game in hockey than you do in basketball. So two star players in basketball is probably like four star players in hockey, because you know, we're going on and off the ice a lot more than the basketball players are.
Speaker 2: All right, Neil, where can our new hockey listeners in our hockey market find that podcast to yours?
Speaker 4: Well, you can find it on any podcast platform, Apple, Spotify, iHeartRadio, YouTube, if you want to look at us you can read every edition of our show is on YouTube and everyone is on our website, which is NHL Wraparound dot com. I hope the good folks of Salt Lake will give it a try and subscribe and like it and all that good stuff. And I got to tell you, it's been fun doing this all season. I'm really looking forward to to going forward with it.
Speaker 2: Neil, thank you sir for the time. Have a great week ahead and we will get you on soon.
Speaker 4: Yep, thank you. Spince all right, the.
Speaker 2: Great Neil Smith general manager back in the day of the Rangers the Islanders, spent a number of years with the Red Wings as well. Got a great podcast. NHL Wraparound dot com is where you find it. LA Lakers are in town tonight to take on to Utah.
Speaker 5: Jazz.
Speaker 1: Luka Doncic will play.
Speaker 2: He was listed as questionable yesterday, upgraded it probable about two hours ago or so. So Jazz Lakers tonight, Lebron James intown, Luka Doncic in town and the Jazz.
Speaker 1: Will be there too.
Speaker 2: But obviously the storyline certainly is with the Lakers side of things. But we'll do some pro football now. Friend of the show joined us last week prior to the Super Bowl. Well, and now I'm bringing them on to brag. Sean Sayad Suomer Sports Sean, Happy Wednesday, buddy, how are you.
Speaker 7: It feels good.
Speaker 8: You know, it's not just about being right, it's about the process, it's about the analysis. I do feel good about you having to come on the show. Predicted that Eagles win. Certainly I think a little bit different and then most people would have expected in terms of how it looked. But for me, it was still a fun game. I'm not sure I who it was.
Speaker 2: For you, well, certainly you called it, and I wanted to bring you on to kind of reflect on exactly what you saw and then talk about the game, how it unfolded, and whether or not it kind of went into lockstep with what you were expecting.
Speaker 8: You know, it did in terms of the way that the Eagles defense approached the Kansas City Chiefs. Where the Eagles defensive plans, it was not particularly complicated. We're going to play a bunch of zone coverage. We're going to make you make the right decision over and over again. Just rush four guys, send zero total blitz is an entire game. I mean, that is Vic Banjo, the defensive coordinators approach two games in general, so I could feel, you know, how that was.
Speaker 4: Where I didn't.
Speaker 8: Expect was, you know, really Zach Bond interception that pick six from Cooper Dejene, where you're making the play that I mean, Mahomes is throwing that ball because you have no business being in that spot, just based on how everything played out. So I thought it was an excellent example of the Eagles really really just hitting the highest level of their people where I think at their best defensive line play this entire season. I mean, Josh What may have played the best game of his career. So I'm not going to pretend like I would have predicted all of that. I'm not going to pretend like I would have predicted the final score in that game. But the way the Eagles.
Speaker 7: Came in, I mean, it.
Speaker 8: Is what we talked about last week in kind of how they approached the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: At what point I've been asking all of my NFL guests so far this week the same question. When did you and again, I know you predicted Philly was going to win the thing, but while you were watching the game out, what point did.
Speaker 1: You say, Okay, that's a wrap, they're not coming back.
Speaker 8: So I think that when I started to get the thoughts. I mean, honestly, it wasn't until after the like kind of middle east of the third quarter, because you go into the half twenty four or nothing, and I mean, it's really really hard to come back from that. But Mahomes has literally done that before against the textans of fears out, so I didn't want to.
Speaker 7: Count it out.
Speaker 8: But you could start to feel it pretty early on just I mean the first third down or the Eagles are making it really hard on the Chiefs. Cooper degen is being super physical, kind of pushing around Travis Kelcey a little bit. You can start to feel it. You can start to see it. You see even when Sekwon Barkley is not brisen off big runs, Jalen Hurts, just getting rid of the ball, playing super comfortable, playing on time, start to feel but look, I'm back in the back of my mind, I need I need to see double zero, you know, to tle Patrick Mahomes out. So really it was once you got in that middle of the third quarter, I've had Devonda Smith touchdown. I was like, all right, I don't need to be silly anymore, there's no way these guys are going to be able to come back.
Speaker 2: So I know you've already touched on the defensive game plans schematically from Vic Fangio prior to Sunday, as you and I talked about last week, Patrick Mahomes eight and oh against Vic Fangio. So let's dig a little bit deeper. Did did Vic Fangio do anything different this time around? Or was it just kind of the classic schematic attack that he always likes to implement. But he has the horses now and Kansas City couldn't.
Speaker 8: Keep up, So it was a little bit of you know, some stuff was the same, some stuff was different. They play a little bit of a different coverage. They really, you know, prioritize having multiple people watching Travis Pelsey, even if they're not in a dedicated kind of bracket or a double team. And the way that the pass rush was working, where instead of you know, being a fast guy running outside that offensive tackle, they were running straight through those guys and that you know, closes the areas for Mahomes to be able to scramble a little bit. So I really enjoyed seeing that just from an overall pass rushing plan for the Eagles. I thought that was a good job. I mean, I actually I felt like Andy Reid didn't do the best job in the game where we didn't think of maybe an example or two where they're getting the ball a little bit further down the field. Obviously we have that drop the Hopkins. Of course, some of those touchdowns coming later in the game. I would have really liked to see him just literally, you know, pick the fat, throw the ball to the outside, make those warnerback to tackle over and over because the way that Fandia was playing, it would have required that. And we saw I think the future down thirty four to nothing by this time. But you know, zabywhere that you catch a quick throwing on Mitchell Tantaple, you you're able to get yards. I think, you know, maybe turning that a little bit earlier would have not won the game, but I think it would have made it a bit closer.
Speaker 2: I want to follow up, even though you just alluded to my follow up question, did you see because one of the reasons why I picked Kansas City in a close one like most of America, is Andy and Mahomes typically figured out. Andy Reid makes the adjustments Mahomes finds a way to win.
Speaker 1: Did at any point outside.
Speaker 2: Of what you just alluded to, because look, you know a lot of people say, well they didn't run the football. Well, you're down big, so you've got to get chunk plays and you have to rely on a generational talent in Patrick Mahomes. But was there anything specifically, Sean that you saw Kansas City tried to do that simply just didn't work.
Speaker 8: You know, it felt like every single thing that they were really trying to.
Speaker 7: Do didn't work.
Speaker 8: Where you can't throw the ball picked because the defensive is really good and coverage, you can't throw the ball in your immediate because guys are dropping passes. You can't throw the ball deep because your offensive line is not holding up enough from a home to be able to take that extra step and let that thing flop. So it really felt like none of that was able to work at all. And you mentioned, yeah, it would be nice if you could run the ball. You know, there's a clip of Nolan Smith putting Tray Smith like on his are really pushing him far back. I mean, the Eagles were more physical than the Chiefs were upfront. They really were able to push them around. I'm not really sure if any plan would have worked on that day.
Speaker 4: It felt like the.
Speaker 8: Eagles really came in so locked into a personal thing that the Chiefs were doing, So I'm not even sure like you see some of those kind of second and a half adjustments. I guess you call them that for the Chiefs, but I mean, when you're down that big, it's such a big hell to climb, and it just felt like, you know, the team or the better aster from top to bottom ended up winning here.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to the other side.
Speaker 2: What did Steve Spagnolo try to do defensively? Because look, Kansas City, over the course of their recalibration of just kind of changing their approach, they're probably based off personnel one a lot of games this year based off of Steve Spagnolo on that defense, it just did not do much of anything to provide pushback against Philly. What did Spagnolo try to do and how did Philly counter that to make it ineffective?
Speaker 8: Spagnola, I thought.
Speaker 7: Really approached this game in the exact right way.
Speaker 8: Sae Kwon Barkley was largely shut down. I think when you look at the Eagles how they's played the entire season. That is what you want to start with, and so for them to have that success is a really good thing. Now, the problem is that Jalen Hurts has had the best game of his career where the best two games or maybe two of three games in his career have been this game and then the NFC Championship game. So when you look at how the Eagles looked in week eight, in Week ten, you know, it didn't feel if Kirts was going to be able to do this.
Speaker 7: So I think the approach was.
Speaker 8: Really exactly correct. And as you got later and later you are able to get a blitz that ends up getting a sack. But for Hurts to play at that high of a level and really take everything that Stags is trying to do and throw it right back in his space by making those quick throws, by turning some of those escapes into throws to receivers instead of just you know, you're spinning around in a circle.
Speaker 7: You end up sack.
Speaker 8: And for him to be confident and quickness process I thought was super impressive. So I was, overall, you know, pretty fine, it's back as approach. I think the bigger takeaway it's Hurts really really stepping up to the moment, what sort.
Speaker 2: Of because a lot of the conversations, certainly around prior to the game was the questions that a lot of people had about Jalen and the questions that a lot of people had about Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 1: So I already asked you about the Jaalen portion of this?
Speaker 2: What sort of questions did Nick Sirianni answer as a Super Bowl winning head coach?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 8: I mean it is it's so fun to think about just his story. Fun for me to think about it from the outset. I can't imagine it was that fun for him going through it. There was like legitimate, totally like reasonable calls at the beginning of this year, like are they going to bring Sirianni back? What does he do for this team? After a week four, going to the bye week, you know thoughts of all, right, well, this guy's gonna get fired and be an offensive. It sits in somewhere next year where he's never going to be able to get his chance again. I just think that there are things that happen in an NFL locker room, in the NFL building that a head coach is responsible for that it is unquantifiable and you start to hear some of the stories come out, whether it's Who're on writing his handwritten note Siseeah Rodgers who mixed the season for a gambling subspension, whether it's you know, talking to na Kobe Dean after his injury and figuring out different things to get him in the best spot. And I mean you think about the locker room overall. Obviously these are incredibly talented players, there's still personalities right where Adie Brown had early in the game or earlier in the season, he had said out loud and he said the correct thing, like what's not working. It's the passing game. It's there for him to be able to navigate all that, for him to be able to navigate his relationship with Jalea hurts where you know sometimes in the media it hurts. Is like not that he is unfriendly to the media, but I think he's trying to, you know, get through his day. He's trying to get back to the real hard work of it all. So I just think Syriann, he does deserve credit. Now, what is it exactly for? I think it is some of those kind of human human aspects that we just don't get to see unless like you see that the way that he high fives his players on on the sidelines, or you see the way that the players do take on that personality a little bit where Suriani is gonna like almost like you have a shield for other players. Where there was a game last year against the Seahawks where Hurts and ager Brown make this kind of odd decision for a specific player ends up as interception and seriality just goes up to the media. It's like, look, that was my call, and how do I want people to lie to the media, know, not necessarily, but for him to take the fall on that and to kind of make himself look like a little bit of a fool in that situation for his players to be able to, you know, just continue to work on what they need to work on. So seeing that for Sirianni, it's got to feel awesome, because, look, no one can ever remove Super Bowl champion head coach from his resume.
Speaker 2: So when you win, you're gonna lose coaches and you're gonna lose probably players and want to get paid. So Kellen Moore bounces to take the Saints job. Uh, what what sort of hole does that leave? And who do you think do you just give me some candidates to take that gig.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and more leaving well, when Johns and Gannon had left over their last Super Bowl, if the Eagles were like kind of unprepared for it just based on a communication with Gannon for what they thought was going to happen. So they've been ready for this eventuality. So Kevin Patula is one guy in house that they certainly like. He'll get some sort of look. I think Dradd Johnson quarterbacks coach or Texan is a guy who will end up getting an interview if they're doing a full interview. I assudn't have to do in the interview process Jess because he was someone that also interviewed with them previously. There's a few other internal candidates, you know. For the situation overall, it's it's kind of a dream job. You have the best offensive line in the league, you have a super Bowl VT quarterback, and you have a very good running back. You have really good receivers. So all the things are there that I hope that they go outside the building. I think that's my initial leading just so you can get a little.
Speaker 7: Bit more creative.
Speaker 4: You can move that offense.
Speaker 8: Forward where look, the way that say Klon Barkley ran this year. I think he's going to be fantastic. It's not like he's older. He's asking to be able to do it. There is a chance so just based on variants that you're not able to hit all the home run So I would love to see even like a guy like Key Martin, the quarterbacks coach in Baltimore, who we've seen Lamar Jackson continue to evolve as a passer really and to bring in a guy like that, I think could be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So one more thing on the Eagles, and I've got a couple of other big picture NFL questions, and I've asked, you know, the NFL guys who have stopped by this week kind of this similar question because when you look at the landscape of the league, we often talk about, you know, guys like Lamar and Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes in their late twenties, Jalen's twenty six and Saquon's twenty eight. AJ Brown is twenty seven, DeVante Smith is twenty six, And yes, they have some decisions to make on other pieces, but the main portion of this roster is either in or entering their prime. And I'm not a hyperbolic radio host, but what are you willing to say about potentially the type of I don't know, era of Eagles football that we're in for. Should they be able to keep the ball this team together for a number of years.
Speaker 8: I mean, it really is looking pretty good, and I think that is for a few reasons. Then you look at the way that Howard Rosman, that Jeffrey Laurie as the owner, the way that they handle contracts.
Speaker 4: Is so so smart.
Speaker 8: They do pay guys a little bit early. I'm like, you have to hit on some of those, right because you know, you can pay a receiver ask for one good year. If they're not good in that second and third year, it really comes back.
Speaker 7: To bite you.
Speaker 8: But you know, Devonte Smith, Agri Brown are look already under contract, Jalen Hurt already under contract. So to be able to take care of those guys already and then pay Dickerson Jurgens like you're taking care of really really core aspects of your team pretty early. Their defensive spending is not that high. So I'm actually very interested to see what this offseason looks like for that where they're going to probably lose mill and Williams. There's a good chance they lose that bond. Darius Slaves getting a little bit older. I think when I look ahead to next year, I always think, well what about You know, a specific team is more likely to look a little bit closer to average, whether that's something that's not good or something that's very good. It's so hard to reheat as the top defense by statistics year after year. I love Vic Fangio, you know so much, and watching this defense. I really enjoyed going through this roster. You still have Dylan Carter, you have the genie in year two, you have Mitchell in year two. You have so much talent on that team. Sometimes fifty fifty balls just end up at touchdowns instead of interceptions or incompletion. So, you know, I just worry about this the coin flip and just appreciating how many things have to happen for you to be able to, you know, climb that top of the mount. And of course you know the commanders and Jayson Daniels, they're they're really going to be pushing. But this team is in like a good financial health situation where you will see things about people saying, oh, you know, like the bill's gonna come due eventually, and you know that can be true. Like players, we're gonna get a little bit older. It's not gonna happen for a little bit though, They're going to keep you know, you push that, you kick the can down the road in terms of having to, you know, have this kind of salary account blow up, You're able to kind of manipulate it in a few different ways that I just wish other teams would do that in the same way. You know, teams just should, like if you learn anything from the Evils model, it should be that because you're gonna have to pay multiple players a lot of money, it's not a league where you can afford to not do that. So I'm excited to see what the Eagles look like going forward. I really just want to see Gillen Hurt continue to grow. You know, he unfortunately is going to have another new offensive coordinator as you just mentioned. I want to see him as a really really positive passer going into next season.
Speaker 2: Certainly, it would be a fools out Aaron to believe the Kansas City is done, you know, with their quarterback in his twenties and a transcendent generational head coach Kelsey thirty five, Maybe it's it for you know, you know, maybe that's it for him. What does the offseason look like in Kansas City to ensure that they continue to.
Speaker 1: Capitalize on a generational talent under center?
Speaker 8: Well, a big thing is going to be what you do with that offensive lot where you had problems that both pfle stops the entire season. Your star right guard is going to be a free agent and is going to get paid a lot of money by someone that may be someone other than you. And as you mentioned, you know, Kelsey, whatever, even if he does come back, he's not a player that is going to be, you know, looking the same early in the season as he is later in the season. So he made a puge heart. I'm going to talk about what's gonna happen with Chris Jones. I do think Chris Jones still has a lot of good football played. And as you mentioned, it's so hard to like bet against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 7: What are we doing here?
Speaker 8: We got not lucky or unlucky, but yeah, it happened in the Super Bowl. I do think they're going to come back. I want to see this team though, like get to kind of another iteration of their offense. I really like watching Xavier Worthy grow over the last few weeks. We saw it, you know, in kind of garbage time in that Super Bowl. This guy can run by every single player on every single team, and Patrick Maholmes can throw it exactly where it needs to be in no situation. So I actually want to see this offense get back to a little bit more of that downfield attack as opposed to like, you know, we're just gonna get five yards on the inside runs. We're gonna throw the ball quick and that, and you know it really starts with that offensive lick.
Speaker 2: So I will take advantage of having a smart football guy in the show to ask you about my Jets who it looks like they're going to move on from Aaron Rodgers and thank goodness, he's a locker room cancer and he's bad at football.
Speaker 1: So what's what's next for my guys?
Speaker 2: Give me a little hope, and not even hope for next year, because they're not going to be in it next year, but maybe hope that there's a plan in place that at some point there'll be a competitive NFL football team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I mean even on the just at the high level. I enjoy, you know, the hires that they were able to make. I think Aaron glennments definitely have the right kind of person that you want to bring. I really really like Ken Rank from the offensive coordinator they have there, the work that he did in a trout with Ben Johnson. I think that's the right direction. You have a very talented roster, like I don't want us to forget that where guys at Quinna Williams Safs Gardner on defense, of course, I think the offensive line, you know, but there are some some positive spots on there. I think that the decision to say, hey, like Aaron, like you know, we're moving forward. That's also to me a signal of a smart organization just based on where Rogers is, based on what it means for the Teamal is it you have to have a year of Tyrod Taylor. Everything's getting in solved, you know. I don't want to tell you to not watch football next season, like there is a chance that it's going to be a little bit of a tough ride. I grew up in the area, so I understan in how many times you have to hear like Jeff's rebuild Jeffs rebuild. I think when you look at some of the hires that they made up and down and even like the senior advisors and things like that, where you're bringing people with experience, I think just in the right areas, it gets me excited at that level. Now it really is gonna pend how things happen on the field where you're obviously in a division where no, you're going to be looking at Josh Allen a whole heck of a lot.
Speaker 2: So let me just kick the tires with little offseason stuff. Big names that you think could be on the move. I am curious as to your take on Sam Darnold, who once upon a time actually thought was the answer for my team under center. But teams out there that are maybe a piece or two away names that could be on the move and offseason ahead, what do you think it looks like.
Speaker 7: I mean some of the big tradens.
Speaker 8: Of course, Key Higgens is going to be a big one if the Bengals aren't able to figure it out. Tray Smith, as I mentioned though, I mean he's a really really good guard from the Tone City Chiefs. I mean, those are those guys I think the Patriots would have circle just because you're trying to fill so many holes on your roster. I think when you look at you know, DJ reads from your jet, there's a chance that he ends up somewhere else. Is he ending up in San Francisco? I think where Darnald ends up will be fascinating. He it feels like it could be a situation. I don't know. Maybe's it Las Vegas just a place where you have the kind of holdover quarterback another year. I think Josh Sweat, you know, is it Arizona. I think a guy like Milan Williams is coming off at Super Bowl is the charge? Adding agency is exciting even if there's not you know, one hundred names that you can't wait to look at, but like crazy, it's just so important, Like you want to fill your roster to the point where you go into the draft and can actually just choose the most talented player instead of choosing a player and say, hey, if we don't, you know, hit on our right guard in the draft, our team is totally foiled. I think it'll be interesting to see, you know, what teams are making, what mover in attatches to move that happened, you know immediately when kind of those transactions are able to start happening sometimes a little bit later in free agency as well.
Speaker 2: Last thing, shanat Sachelers, give me the coaching higher you like the most, and the coaching higher the left.
Speaker 1: Scratching your head.
Speaker 8: Okay, so this is this is a good and I think the easy one to point at as the scratching your head one is Dallas with Schottenheimer at the same time, like, yeah, do we expect Dallas to do? I guess anything that would would be like a process that we would love.
Speaker 7: Probably not.
Speaker 8: I think that maybe there were a few other names. I think that was more of a process based one. I would have liked to see, you know, interviews just kind of in different directions. I think that in terms of the ones that I like, you know, Ben Jonson is an easy I really do like Liam Collen in Jobson, But I think that one is a fun one. I think it's the right bet to make. I am a little bit biased. You know, you want the young offensive coordinator type person to be running your organization. I just still believe in Trevor Lawrence. I think what Cohen gave in Tampa Bay with Jaker Maseld and really Morphing his offense from a little bit more, uh, you know, in their run game that really really evolved over time. So I think that I'm excited about that now. I think one of my favorite things about head coaching hires, there's a chance that like Schoenheimer is the best head coach that ever existed. We just don't know until we're able to see it. So I'm excited for Colling as the chance it doesn't work out, but that's probably my favorite one where Ben Jonson think is also an easy answer as well, Sean.
Speaker 1: Where can people go find your work?
Speaker 5: Bud?
Speaker 8: You can follow me on Twitter at Science Teams and just put out a little article just about a big fan jo which he's meant to be, and my career, and also just about his entire season. So always appreciate the fallow. I'm gonna do a lot of free agency stuff with Zimmer Sports thee offseason.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. Appreciate the time. Be well with chat soon.
Speaker 8: Okay, so much appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Sean Saya joined us last week. He was the one NFL guest we had that was like this could get loose man, Philly could smoke him, and they certainly did so appreciate Sean time. Today, we're gonna bring in Smitty coming up on the other side for an entire hour. We'll do a little Jazz Lakers, we'll do a little NBA Big Picture stuff as we're high speed out of the All Star break, and then we'll launch you at the five o'clock hour of the program, We're going to say too night on a Wednesday at six o'clock. But it's time now for your chance to win Utah men's basketball tickets. Text youths right now. That's utes to three three, nine eight six. Text utes to three three and nine eight six for your chance to win tickets to see the Utah men's basketball program. How do you feel that most every NFL guest we have and I'm like, hey, which coaching hired do you hate the most, they all say shot and Ira.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of with them just and it's not because I don't like Shoddy.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot we call him Shotty.
Speaker 3: It's more because of what was on the table the last calendar two years and who the Dallas Cowboys are and should be. And that's that's kind of where I'm at with it. It's it's a lukewarm higher even though I have I would say cautious optimism that it'll be better than the McCarthy era, which, no, I don't know how high that bar is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's not a low bar. He wasn't a disaster wins at least. Yeah, he wasn't a disaster. I think you and I should be allowed to pick new football teams. Do you have any desires we're allowed? Do you have any desire? You're gonna ride with the Cowboys? I mean, because that's kind of a family thing for you, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'll be I'll be complaining about the Cowboys offseason until the bitter end.
Speaker 1: When I was home for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Is fun because we were watching the game with like all my little nieces and nephews and my sister Lily, who runs sports issues. She's done very well. She turned to me and she said, do you really cheer for the Jets? Like, well, yeah, I mean they've always been my team since I was ten years old. She's like, you should be allowed to pick a new team. I'm considering the Rams.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 2: I like the Rams. I like the way they played. It might be a bad time because they're about to do a little pivot. I think Stafford's gone. They're trading Cooper cup. We got a little local flavor with Puca, right, so I'm considering the Rams some local flavor.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of local flavor in Denver, in Detroit.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do the I can't do the Broncos. Dude, shout out to our guy, Garrett Bowles front of the show. But I you know, utah utah UTNFL kind of minor league system with Barton and everything. But I just I can't do the Broncos. There are too many Bronco fans in Salt Lake.
Speaker 3: You got to another option in New York. Not a great option.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: I can't go from the Jets to the Giants. That's like the ultimate Benedict Arnold move.
Speaker 3: The Bills are a good organization.
Speaker 1: The Bills usually some good teams.
Speaker 3: They might win once.
Speaker 1: At Dalton Cole. Like the Bills.
Speaker 3: The Jets, Hey, Tyrod Taylor might be your starter.
Speaker 2: Did you stop it? There's nothing, It doesn't matter who it is, Okay. The Jets are one of these organizations that will simply never be good.
Speaker 3: They just want I'm you're not wrong, but Tyrod is your starter Week one next year? Maybe step up.
Speaker 2: I'd rather have Tyrod Taylor and Aaron Rodgers me too, so too.
Speaker 1: It's a tough scene.
Speaker 2: So I texted Border today and I said, look, the Lakers are in town, which means I only want stars on the show. I want superstars, I want celebrities. I want heavy hitters. When the Lakers are here, we have to bring in the heaviest of hitters, the biggest stars that we have in our rolodex. So, of course, for the next hour, the superstar himself, Richard Smith is live in studio.
Speaker 1: Hello, Smitty.
Speaker 5: So then so then Porter texted you back, said, no, we're all out. I got nothing else. So we're at the bottom of the barrel. This is all I got. You take it, or you leave it, or we're off the air or whatever.
Speaker 7: This is.
Speaker 1: This is the top of the barrel.
Speaker 5: So Spen's like you always do. You come through and go, hey, I'll take the last the last piece of candy in the barrel. I don't care whoever, it.
Speaker 1: Is not at all, not at all.
Speaker 5: How you doing, We're doing great, We're doing great.
Speaker 1: You watch the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: I did watch the Super bowl, you know, you know, we have a family thing we've been doing for years. My nephew has a great home where he has one of those big new theater rooms and all that, and you know, big heavy hitter type stuff, and and he put together a like a bingo card that everybody could play, and they were all different, you know, so that every square was like, uh, you know, missed field goal to the right, you know, or fumble recovered by the offense or whatever it was. And so everybody was engaged in that all all all all game long, and it came down right to the right to the end, and I had I had my whole card completed except for one one square and that was the missfield goal, which it wasn't any missfield goal, right, But we were arguing the fact that earlier in the game, if you remember, one of the long sideline passes resulted in a passing apference and and I said, well, the passing apference was because the guy grabbed his face mask. That's a face mask. And I have a square on my card that says penalty by face mask. I said, that's a penalty. No, no, it wasn't. They didn't call a face mask. They said it was passing apference. I said it was passing apference because he grabbed his face right. That was no, No, that that doesn't you know. So this is the kind of family arguments you get, you know, when the big candy bar is on the line for the winner.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, No, I feel like you have a legitimate beef there. Oh, Dave mcmitiman's on TV's in Salt Lake front of the show. Uh, a consistent guest of the show. I'm sure he's not thrilled to be in saul Lake when it's ten degrees outside. You know, it's funny because I talk a lot about I'm fascinated by like ratings in the business of sports and how certain leagues and certain products have captured the market share that they have.
Speaker 1: It's always been interesting to me.
Speaker 2: And the NFL just set another record for viewership with the Super Bowl. Fox reported a peak in the second quarter when it was still close ish of one hundred and thirty seven point seven million viewers on Linard television. Streaming numbers were close to fifteen mil. The Spanish broadcast got close to two. So some quick math, I mean that's north of one hundred and fifty million people watching one sporting event, which is pretty stunning so many when you think about it. I'm just curious as too, as somebody who made a career in pro sports, why you think pro football has been able to capture this market share? And you know, there are a few different reasons, and you know, totally, I was home with my family for the Super Bowl and I was watching with all my nieces and nephews, and we had our little square game going on and all the you know, nieces and nephews were allowed to pick a square and towards the end of the game, because at this point the kids were upstairs playing it was a blowout, they didn't give a rip. But my nine year old nephew, Teddy comes up to me and he says, Uncle Spencer, will you come and get me if Kansas City scores a touchdown but misses the extra point, because if that happens, I'm gonna win.
Speaker 1: The Gummy Bears.
Speaker 2: It just kind of hits you, like, this is a nine year old essentially gambling on a game of course, right, And in part part of the NFL's market share and the ability to capture it, I think they I think they were able to kind of create a space for gambling on their sport far before it was legal and befar before anyone else kind of leaned into it.
Speaker 5: Well, and you know, you know, Spence and my extended family does this as well. They you know, everybody from the from the eight year old all the way up. They're all involved in the fantasy football every fall, you know, and everybody they have a draft and they do all this stuff, and they check scores and have a you know, a thing online and get on and see who who got the most points this week or whatever. But that isn't done with any other sport, right, Nobody does it with you know, any other time of the year for anything else. Right, And so I don't know, I don't know if it's because it's the once a week thing. I don't know if it's because it's the time of year, you know, in the fall. And I mean, I'm not I'm not quite sure exactly what the what the great great holders. I do know that I've always thought, you know, especially you know, the way technology is now in the last fifteen twenty years and the way they show slow motion and they and they do all this stuff, is is you know that it's gotten more to me of somewhat of the gladiator type thing, the Roman times, where everybody's in the in the arena and they're rooting for the get smashed on the on the on the block or whatever it is, or tackled you know, and and thrown up in the air and or whatever during the during the course of a game. So I don't know if that's it or what the you know, how they ended up marketing it this way, but part of it, I think, I don't know how far down the line it gets about. They have done a good job over the years with the salary cap stuff and the way they put their schedules together, you know, the you know, during the course of the season, the guys who played well last year play each other next year, you know, you know, outside of your division and stuff, and then they purposely do that so that you know, in week sixteen, seventeen eighteen, most of the teams are eight and eight or they're nine and seven or whatever, and so a lot of teams have a chance to get in the last week or two. And I don't know if maybe that's part of the stick that everybody's feels like they you know, their dog is still the race most of the most of the year. I'm not quite sure how that plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's interesting to compare because we're an NBA market. We've been an NBA market, you know, for a long long time now, And I often remind people of this. The highest rated basketball game in the history of the sport was played here in Salt Lake in nineteen ninety eight. It was Michael Jordan's last game, and that was the last time during that era mid to late nineties was the last time that pro basketball was even in pro football stratosphere.
Speaker 1: It wasn't on the level, but.
Speaker 2: There was some data that indicated the ratings had improved in the NBA under you know, it was Magic and then it was Larry and then it was the you know, the Laker Celtics thing that Michael took over and David Stern was a master of his craft to manipulate the media to create this behemoth that was kind of making some inroads.
Speaker 1: As far as the progress with pro football.
Speaker 2: Again, it was never in that area, but it was making progress and now the gap could not be wider. The NBA still by most metrics, is number three behind the NFL and college football, then it's pro basketball. Any thoughts as to why the NBA has not been able to keep up on the domestic viewership. Now, I will add this, the NFL is now talking about trying to capture international audiences. The NBA doesn't really sweat the domestic stuff because their revenue streams internationally are far greater than pro footballs as far as the global sports, Soccer's won basketball's too, and so they are able to mitigate maybe some revenue or ratings or eyes or attention domestically because of what they bring in internationally. But as far as the attention span of the American sports fan, why do you think basketball has not been able to keep up?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. I think that the game itself part of it. To me from my perspective is having seen rules changes over the years, is that I think maybe the NBA has gone too much, you know, toward trying to make your offensive heavy, you know, by putting in all these defensive rules restrictions, and you can't you can't put a hand on somebody, you can't level somebody off. You. You know, you have an arm bar, but you can't you know, turn them one way the other and so it's all, you know, relegated to trying to legislate the game so that we have these one forty you know, one thirty five games, you know, where where the good games back in our day, Spence used to be the you know, you know the Knicks Pacers, Uh, you know, grind them house. Yeah, you know, you know, eighty nine, eighty five and whatever, and you know. But but but I just think that that some of it is it looks it looks to me a little bit a little bit like there's too much offense. We we don't do enough to help the defensive guys. Everybody wants to score and dunk and and no, and nobody plays defense, you know, per se, you know, because you can see how the scoring is. And some of it's because the way the game is legislated and the way that the rules are, and maybe the fans look at that and go, I don't know, feels a little bit like wrestling or something like where they're just it's a little bit artificial because they're not really playing a whole game. They're only playing on one side of the court, that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: Also, I noticed this last night because it's funny, you referenced Nick's Pacers. They played each other last night, and I was watching and flipping back and forth. I was watching the utes and BYU both tipped at five, and then checking out nick Pacers later on. There's not a lot of urgency in pro basketball until the final five minutes. And when you're watching an NFL game, almost every single play feels like life or death. There's just like, and I don't this is anecdotal. I don't really know how to like where to grasp this issue to say, Okay, it's this or that or whatever. But you know, a lot of possessions Halliburton dribbles the ball down the floor, puts it through his legs three times, takes a step back three and you're.
Speaker 1: Kind of like, what are we doing? Yeah, yeah, there's not a lot of urgency possession by possession.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, in the NFL two spence, a lot of the players, not everybody, you know, the big names are are secure and and they're they're situated, you know, financially and and spots on the team. But a lot of the players on NFL teams, you know, don't have the so called guaranteed contracts or the big money deals, and and a lot of them are week to week. I mean, if you don't perform and you don't play your position, you know, you could be you know, the ones obviously that A publicized, the most of the kickers who miss a crucial kick or two extra points in the game, and you see on Monday they cut the guy and on Wednesday they're having tryouts for a new guy who's going to be the kicker on Sunday, you know. And and there's a lot of the other you know, other players, offensive, defensive linemen, linebackers who some guys have guaranteed contracts, but a lot of them are you know, might be you know, could get cut or they or they they you know, they get hurt, you know, they go on the injured list and you don't see them again. And I don't know if has anything to do with that, you know, relative to like the NBA, where virtually every guy on the roster has a guaranteed contract, and especially after you know, the early January date this year, I think it was January sixth or January eighth or something, which is a guaranteed date. So if you had a non guaranteed contract and you're on the roster after that date, then your your contract's guarantee for the rest of the year, even if you don't play a minute, you know. So I don't know. I've always thought there's some problem with that in the NBA, where there's too much quote free money and nobody really has to go out and earn it per se. Once they get it and you know it, and there's something to the sense of urgency that if I don't perform tonight and I don't I don't play hard, and I don't dive on the floor, and I don't step in and try and take a charge or whatever it is, that I may not be on the team on Friday. You know, that's not a that's not a feeling, you know, because you know, you know, even if they let you go, they don't like you for whatever reason you're not playing well whatever, Well, I made it past the guarantee date, so I'm getting my MI in your mind, all that kind of thing. So I don't know if there's something to that that all those a link together and people are going, yeah, well, these guys are getting paid a lot of money and they don't really look like they're playing hard. I don't know why I should invest my time in that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now there's some good points, all right. I was excited to have you in because I wanted to talk to you about this dynamic. And I this is going to be a very loose parallel because I don't think there's anything where we can be entirely analogous.
Speaker 1: But but follow me for a second. So Lakers are in town tonight.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it has been a crazy news cycle surrounding the decisions made by roster Constructions in pro basketball to do some things that feel a little bit unprecedented to me and feel a little bit noteworthy, if I could use a jazz phrase. Patrick Dumont is the part of the new ownership group in Dallas, and it's been a rough week for our guy. He walked into a Mavericks home game to a tremendously loud courus of booze and he turned to a security guard and he said, are they booing me?
Speaker 1: And he said, yes, they are.
Speaker 2: Nico Harrison has been kind of revealed as like the rogue decision maker here that is behind the Luka Doncichs decision because he simply didn't believe, as you outlined last week in his off court habits, and do you want to invest three hundred and fifty five million dollars in a player who you don't think takes care of himself.
Speaker 1: We've been all over the things, over all the things.
Speaker 2: This is a decision that could cost Nico's job, and it feels like it is already costing Dallas a tremendous amount of goodwill in that community. Can you recall whether it was Scottie or whether it was Kevin or Danna personnel decision that you guys had to make as a front office where you went, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: We just made a.
Speaker 2: Call on Darren or whatever, and now it's on. Now it's it's it's gonna be on us as to whether or not this works out. Is there anything that even comes to mind as far as the same type of heat they're kind of facing in Dallas.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, you know, the the the profile of the players involved in this, this Dallas Laker trade was, you know, was at the top of the heap. So that's that, That's the first thing. The secondly, you know, these these aren't unusual and we've talked about that before. Spence too, and across across all sporting lines. Whether it's a Babe Ruth or whether it's a Wayne Gretzky, or whether it's a Wilt Chamberlain, you know, whoever it is. You know, these guys have all been traded, These things have happened before. The thing that that that I don't uh. I you know, if I was the guy overseeing and I was just you know, you know, waving a magic wand whatever that means. You know, in this scenario, I would I would advise Nico Harrison and Patrick Dumont to instead of running away from what's going on. In other words, Nico doesn't show up in his usual seat for the game, He doesn't show up for the first game after the trade. You know, wasn't there at all. You know that To me, if I'm a fan, I look at that and go, okay, that that even makes me a little more, you know, upset about this or there's something else you know that I'm like, I would rather see them turn around and do just the opposite, just hit it head on, you know. And and I was just saying to to James Peterson before we came on the air, Hey, if I was them, I'd say, hey, you know what we should do. We should have we should have a town hall meeting tomorrow at noon. Anybody who's upset at this, come on down, let's go. You know, and you know you you guys pay the bills. You guys are investing in this like us. We'll answer the questions. Now. If I get a question and I don't feel like, you know, revealing you know, corporate you know, secrets or things that I think, you know should stay in the house, then I'll say so. But I'm going to give you the opportunity to vent to me and for us to talk it through, and to give you, you know, as much as I can the rationale of why, you know, we don't just do this. I mean, you know, if I'm if I'm playing Nico Harrison for a minute, I don't just wake up in the middle of the night and say, hey, I think it's a good idea if we get rid of one of the best players in the league, and I'm not gonna tell anybody why We're just going to do it like that doesn't really wash with a lot of people. So you know, you have to explain to people. You know, you don't explain all of your business, obviously, but but you tell people as much as you can about this process, and you have to ask people to think for a minute, to step back and say, do you think we would trade a top five player who's not even in his prime yet age, why, who's performing the way he has performed so far for us for for just just to do it and just to get a different look on our team. I mean, I hope you think that we have more than that in our substance in making these decisions to to to be able to exercise something that we know is going to be difficult, you know, to deal with. You know, we didn't think this was just going to go in a twenty four hour news cycle and then everybody's onto the next thing. And so, you know, give us some credit or at least have some substance to thinking that that there's a rationale, there's some reasoning behind why we would make such a move, you know, in the benefit of our organization, of you, our fans. That's that's where our responsibility is. And I would just hit it head on, you know, in that regard, because that's usually if you look in the pass in any scenario of this nature spence where there's an uproar. But any decision, is it a a sports decision, is it a governmental decision? Is it something you know that affects our culture or our life. People who are in those positions that when times when they've just faced the music head on and took it on and said, hey, let's go, let's go, what do you got, Let's talk it out and and and do that. Most of the time people go, yeah, but what if what if this thing? And you go, well, you know, because of A B and C whatever, and and and then you find out people realize, okay, I don't know, you know, and and but they but they start backing down because they understand that you're in a difficult position and you wouldn't make a decision like this unless you actually felt somewhere that this made sense, uh, for the for the overall business that were running. You know, whether you understand what those things are or you don't. I can communicate some of them to you, some of them I might not be able to, but at least rationally look at it, you know, for what it is, instead of trying to find you know, some underbelly or some you know some you know, there's gotta be some secret thing that's going on that nobody's telling us, you know whatever, And you know, it's just I think people. You have to give people credit, you know, for for trying to help you to overall understand what this overall situation is. If that makes any.
Speaker 2: Sense, yeah, it does. I just don't personally see the rationale. Now. Bob Myers made a really compelling point because about an hour after the trade was announced, he was on the dais for the NBA on ESPN coverage and he said, look, I'm not saying that Anthony Davis is Luca, but what I am saying is peak Anthony Davis and peak Luka doncis if you can get like a seven game healthy peak Anthony Davis, he is still one of the elite talents in all of the lead. Well, he affects the game, yes, yes, And so now the problem is he's hurt now, and he might be shelved for four or five weeks, and so as we react to what's in the moment, if you're Nico Harrison, the worst case scenario happened where he's hurt, and so even you know, if he's able to come back and at some point maybe make a difference, in the postseason. Where we are in the news cycle right now is these guys are getting killed. The only thing I could think of is when Kevin decided to trade Darren, as far as trying to be analogous here in the market now, the circumstances were much different, and that's what I think confuses a lot of people, because Darren and Jerry had their thing, and so Kevin had Jerry's back and said, we don't want this male content.
Speaker 1: We're gonna hit the reset button.
Speaker 2: There are no indications like it's been interesting seeing the look on Jason Kidd's face whenever he's been front facing.
Speaker 1: He didn't do meet the other night.
Speaker 2: I would be very curious to hear what Jason Kidd had to say in a very honest moment about as a coach losing a guy like that. But this is different because it doesn't appear that Luca had issues with a coach or his teammates. From what we know, this was a executive making a decision almost on his own.
Speaker 1: But Kevin never struck me as a monolith.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: You guys were very uh up front officely would communicate together and come up with ideas. Was did you guys feel the heat when you decided to do the Darren thing.
Speaker 5: No, you know, I it was a different set of circumstance because I think the I think the general Jazz fan uh back at that time, if you remember, had the had the the blow up between Darren, Darren Williams and and Jerry Sloan and the prompted you know, Jerry to to to uh step down and resign and then uh shortly after that, Kevin made the move, you know, to trade Darren because he thought that was in He also thought it was in the again similar to the d Aaron Fox situation Sacramento a few weeks ago, where Fox came out and said, you know it didn't say it directly, but but there were all indications internally that he's gonna he's not gonna come back here when he's a free agent, right, whether it's Aaron Fox, that was the so called scuttle. But with Donovan Mitchell, I'm not sure if that was if that was totally uh accurate or or or a truism, but that's that that that's what the general perception was, uh with Darren. With Darren Williams, it was the same similar type thing we don't know if Darren Williams is gonna come back when he's a free agent in a year and a half. And so let's you know, we we we put that together with the discord or whatever's going on, you know with uh, with coach Sloan and that kind of stuff, and you go, Okay, you know, maybe it makes sense to to do something now, you know, while your value is high and in terms of that that player. But but again, Spence, uh, Kevin, Kevin O'Connor, you know, did I wouldn't say exactly the same because I obviously I wasn't wasn't in the room, you know, with Nico Harrison and and and and all that stuff. But but but Kevin, you know, in a similar fashion, did you know, handled it in uh kind of the same framework that Nico Harrison did with Darren Williams. He didn't tell any of us what was going on, uh in his in in our so called in their circle, whatever that was. You know, I didn't know what was happening. You know. Kevin did it with his good friend Billy King, who was the general manager in New Jersey Nets at the time. They had worked together in Philadelphia ten years earlier become very good friends, very good colleagues. They felt they could trust each other in terms of doing some kind of a deal that didn't get out in the media. A Lah, the Jimmy Butler Miami Heat type thing, and uh and they they they put a package together and discussed it, and then Kevin went to, uh, you know, the Miller family and said, hey, I think you know, for reasons A, B, and C, this is this is a good time to make a move like this, even though it's our best player and it's gonna hurt us in the short term, but I think it'll help us somewhere down the line the long term. Okay, the Miller's bought bought into that. Okay. And I'm sitting in my office on the day that they know it was leaked, and I see a scroll on the TV in my office. It says, you know, breaking news Darren Williams Trade at the you know, I'm going, what is that? You know whatever? And then and then Kevin literally like walked through my office. I said, Hey, what is this thing on the on the on the TV. And he looks and he goes, oh, is that out already? And I looked at him I said, is that a real thing? He goes, yeah, you know, typical Kevin fashion. He shrugged and then kept walking. You know, so now I got to go chase him down the hallway into his office, what's going on whatever? And you know, but he did a similar thing where he played it close to the vest because he didn't want to be on the public, didn't want to have to deal with media and all that kind of stuff in the similar fashion what happened with Dallas and Lakers last week. And sometimes front office people in those decision making roles will will handle things in a particular way because they feel that's the best way to handle it with the least amount of noise going on around it, and it doesn't really affect, you know, the decision making process that they're going through.
Speaker 2: Lebron James Luka, Doncic rolling down and I the LA Lakers taking on the Utah Jazz. We got Richard Smith live in studio for one more big segment, all right, Smitty, Thirty games left for the Jazz. I think a lot of people that don't maybe file the league closely feel like the All Star break is the halfway point. It's very much not past halfway point about two and a half three weeks ago, So thirty games left for the Jazz and the Lakers come into town tonight. And you know, it's interesting a lot of the national guests that we have on to talk Pro basketball all some of them will text me before the interview like dude, I got nothing on the Jazz, or just like you don't ask me about it. And with this entire boom of the media attention surrounding Luke and Lebron, I've listened to a lot of podcasts, watch a lot of coverage, and they all say the same thing, like, well, we can't learn anything about them yet because they're only playing the Jazz, not a serious team about winning this year. With thirty games left, what would you say to Jazz fans about some takeaways you've had that are positive that they can just kind of latch onto. If there's anything there to indicate that this thing is moving in the right direction.
Speaker 5: Well, that's it's a difficult question, defense because there hasn't been a lot. I mean to be honest, you know, they're in the third year of this tear down, rebuild, reboot, whatever however you you'll label it. Their overall team. Defense hasn't gotten any better, hasn't gotten appreciably better. Whether that's by schematics, whether that's coaching, whether that that's the players who aren't aren't executing what the coaches want, whatever it is, it hasn't gotten anybody. There's still a bottom five defensive team. Larry Markinen, you know, had a very good first year with the Jazz, obviously played to an all star level. He's gone down a little bit. You know. Some of that I think is just because he's he doesn't have a good team around him, and so there's you know, the other teams are leaning on him a little bit. But how about this little little tidbit which is which is interesting more than anything that that's really helpful to the cause. But John Collins through you know, two thirds of the season, after they play these two games, it will really be two thirds of the way through the season. John Collins is playing close to a one eighty clip. He's shooting over fifty from the floor, he's shooting forty four from three and eighty seven from the line, so he's almost close to you know, you know, touching up on that that that fifty forty ninety line that we talked about Lowry Markinen last year. You know touching John Collins is playing official now. He hasn't played a lot of games. He's been out a bunch of games. He's been out like fourteen to fifteen games. He's only started half the games that the Jazz have played. But the other guy who's been playing very efficiently and is out currently with an ankle injury is Colin Sexton, who's played very well, and again he's played much more efficiently than Lowry Marketing is. If you look at their numbers, you know, Sexton to market In, you know, field goal percentage forty eight to forty two, three point percentage forty one to thirty five, field goal free throw percentage eighty nine to eighty six. I mean, Colin Sexton has played very efficiently, very well. So he's he's played better this year. So he's a guy that I'm excited to see if they hold on to him in the offseason because I think he can really continue to play well and play efficiently. He's really grown into his game and his body and and the way he plays aggressively on the court. Walker Kessler has shown to me that that he's a he's a rim protector. He's a natural rebounder. He's a guy who can who can uh can get you a double digital rebounds. He's gonna average a double double. I think he's never gonna be a great score, but he's gonna be able to get mop up points and easy rim runs and stuff like that. And you know, I think he'll always be like a you know, a twelve and twelve type guy. And then if he can average a couple of block shots, I think he's someone who's who's a keeper for them with marking in with maybe sext and how they see that. John Collins again, I've never been a big John Collins fan, but he's played, he's played better this year. He's got a year left on his contract, which is a big number twenty six for really for what he does. But John Collins is also the same age as Lowry Markin. He's not an old guy. You know, he came in young. So so these are guys that that you think they I don't know if they'll all be with them, you know, next year, but I think they're guys who can be guys that that that are somewhat of a foundation. Now you still have to have a couple of these young guys show up. The one guy who's who's played better. Uh, still don't know if I really like his game that much, but he has improved somewhat in this these first fifty games is Isaiah Collier. You know, he's he's a natural passer. Sometimes he gets too deep into the defense, into the paint and then and predetermines where he's gonna throw the pass, and and and he's turned over prone that way. But he's he's really looks like he's got a good feel early in off in the offense to to where the balls supposed to be. And the other thing I like about him is that he'll get it and he'll push it aggressively from free throw line to free throw line. So instead of walking it up like Kante George does and and saunter into an offense, Collier will really push it and he'll he'll he'll he'll make a quick speed pass to somebody up ahead to try and get something early. And that's what I just like, that mindset that, you know, trying to push it, push it, to be aggressive that way. He's a young guy. He's two years removed from high school, so he's got a ways to go. But I like some of his natural tendencies when he has the ball in his hand to get it to teammates. That that now, his issue, obviously is he can't shoot, and so does that get appreciably better or at least better enough that that he can stay in the lineup and stay on the floor late in games and make some things happen. But I like his game a little bit. It's one on me a little bit. But a lot of the other guys, you know, the jury still, I'm not sure how many of them, if any of them, will be be here long term.
Speaker 2: So let's let's dig in a call here a little bit more, because I agree with you there are a lot of things to like seven plus or seven games with ten plus assists. No jazz rookie's ever done that. Now, I'm sure John could have pulled that off if he played a little bit more as a rookie was behind Rocky Green. But you reference the splits, the shooting splits. He's twenty one percent from three, So it's not like, yeah, he can't really shoot it, No, he can't shoot it at all. But there are some things about him that are in eight that he has that I wasn't sure that would translate to pro basketball because we didn't see a ton of him in college and only saw one year. And your point, it's important to reiterate two years out of high school is he's a puppy.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's so young.
Speaker 2: But there are some things that he has that you can't necessarily teach, and then there are some things that he has to work on, namely shooting. If he puts in the work, Okay, tap into your knowledge forty plus years you know with the Jazz, do you have a success story that we can point to as a young player that I mean, I can remember Carl as a rookie shooting free throws and you're like, dude, just hit the rim, so maybe we can get the rebound. He turned into a seventy five percent free throw shooter. Yeah, you can learn to shoot it, right, Like you think Isaiah can learn to be a thirty five percent three point shooter.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, time will tell. I don't know what kind of a worker he is. I don't know if he's a guy who's determined to do that. You know again, you know, we'll we'll see that bear itself out as we go forward. The one thing about him, he's got elite speed. When he gets the ball out of bounds, he can really push it, and he can really push it quickly. And he also has a great first step when he gets the ball in a half court off and he sees that he has a slight advantage on his guy, he can really he can put it on the floor and he can get two steps really quickly right to the dotted line. And and then he's got that powerful body. He's got like a Marcus Smart type body, and so he can he can get it. He can get it with speed he sees the floor. Uh, he's gotta he's gotta smooth out those rough edges. Will he ever be a serviceable shooter? Okay, well, we'll see that. That was also a concern with Marcus Smart when he came into the league. And obviously he made himself into a bona fide uh A player in this league and and and obviously was a defensive Player of the Year a couple of years ago. You know, this kid has the chance to be something like that with his innate speed, uh feel for the game. Now, can he can smooth out the other the other parts of his game to make him himself more valuable and someone who gets more extended time as he goes along. But he's a guy who I would I would if I was a fan, I'd be keeping an eye on to see how he improves because he has he has the body and he has some of the innate athleticism that you need in this league as a lead guard to to have some success. Can he can he grow into that three years from now when he's twenty three years old. Is he appreciably better and is he one of the guys you're counting on. That's one of the things that you want to take into account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough, man, you know, it really is tough to make this team interesting when they're not trying to win, and even the people to cover them day to day or just kind of doing everything they possibly can to try to come up with topics that are interesting. I do think there are some things to like about Isaiah. I do think Walker shown a very real step forward. It was tough to see Taylor Hendrick go down. It would have been nice to analyze his growth. The rookie year of Cody Williams. Okay, now, Cody's had some injury issues, I'm pulling up his numbers right now. So Cody right now has played in twenty seven games.
Speaker 1: He started twelve.
Speaker 2: You know, when you pick a guy in the top ten, I just think you hope it looks a little bit better than it has. I know he's had some moments in the G League. But you know, as we're trying to analyze who these young players are, whether or not they can be part of winning basketball, we've got to talk about these rookies. I mean, do you think behind closed doors they're a little bit concerned even though he is still just a kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I don't know. It's that's that's hard to say just because of you know, without being there every day and being in practice, being in film sessions talking to those guys one on one to get a real feel for who they are, what their mindset is, what their what their desires are to be a a top level professional. It's hard to say. For me. This year for for Cody Williams has been a wash out. He's he's been a bust uh for me as far as showing any kind of potential. You know, he's long, he's thin, okay, whatever, you know, so what does that mean you know and uh uh you know my old colleague and and and obviously one of the one of you guys on on the radio station here weekly or Coach Cheese, you know, would always would always come back with, you know, if you brought up a guy that that he didn't he didn't like, or question about what he could what he could do to help you, he'd always come back with just this three word question, which was always very salient, you know, as succinct as it could be. You'd bring up a guy and you'd say, Cody Williams, Cordy, Cody, Cody Williams. He'd go to do what do what? Yeah, to do what? You know? And and and that's what I would say about him. You know, somebody brings him up, I go to do what? You know? What does he do? You know, he doesn't guard anybody. He doesn't use that length athleticism, he doesn't hasn't shown any toughness. He doesn't have any kind of offensive game that he could go to, whether it's a dribbled drive game and use his athleticism to get up and over guys and do that or around guys with quickness or can't shoot it over the top of guy. You know, I don't know what he does. So so this has been an interesting year for him. I think he I would I would label it as a disappointment myself. I don't know what they see in him going forward. If if it's just he has to get his mindset, he has to get some toughness, he has to get some strength his body, he has to get a skill level up. Although you know, for me, for him on that if you're grading him out on a on a report card, you know, all those things are things that he has to get better at or he's not gonna you know, graduate to the next class. You know, that's that's just the way it is. And so you know, they have quite a few of those guys for me, but he's one that sticks out that you go, yeah, he just to me, it looks like he's, you know, not sure what he's doing out there and doesn't doesn't play with a lot of confidence and doesn't play with any you know, like Collier. He makes a mistake, okay, he throws up in the fourth row, whatever, but he plays with a certain amount of confidence and and and toughness, at least offensively aggressiveness. I should say but but Cody Williams for me is uh is a is a big, big question mark? All right?
Speaker 2: I just look, there's just nothing to talk about with the rest of the roster. They're not serious about winning. We all know what time it is, we all know what they're trying to do. It makes it really challenging day to day to try to even make it somewhat fascinating. Jazz fans continue to show up. Jazz fans rule, and I think the building will be packed tonight. But when it comes to what JJ Reddick has now at his disposal, I was listening to media after the Jazz game and then he did some media I want to say it was yesterday maybe after practice. Made a point that with their roster now, the third best defender on the opposing team as to guard Austin Reeves. Now, Austin is not Luca Lebron, but he's a good player. You can run stuff through Austin Reeves. He's a capable ball handler, he passes it pretty well and when he gets going, he can really score. But obviously the headline is Lebron and it's Luca. How do you think this is going to work and what do you think JJ is going to try to implement to make sure because they now have the opportunity to play forty eight minutes of pro basketball with either Luka Doncic or Lebron James. I still think Oklahoma City is head and shoulders above everybody. I will not bury the Denver Nuggets, even though a lot of people have. Jamal Murray's been better as of late, but they have the best player on the planet, Nicola Jokic. But when it comes to what JJ Reddick has at his disposal, Jazz fans going to the game, what do you think this Laker attack is going to look like right away? And what's best case as far as what it looks like when it's.
Speaker 5: Fun, Well, I think that you know it's it's you know, they have two and a half guys. Uh if you're talking about being a serious contender, whether it's donc James and and Austin Reaves, who I like some You know, Austin Reeves is a beneficiarya of having played with two great players so far in his career in Davis and James. Now he's playing with James and Doncic, and so he gets to do some things and maybe he's you know, if he's with the jazz team, I don't think he's as effective because he'd be asked to do too many things that he's not used to doing it at a high volume level. But but I like the way he plays. I liked him at Oklahoma. You know, he played well, you know in college, was an all around kind of guy. But he's a guy who who plays off of the strengths of his teammates. And he's been playing with a couple of great teammates, you know, so far in l A and and that's been switched out. But we'll see what, you know, how it is going forward. But they still have a big problem with their roster. You know, Mark Williams, the trade didn't go through, and now the other kid just got hurt, you know, the other big guy that they have the name of Caseman at the moment with the Lakers, and so now you know, they're they're really down. You know, they're short. Big guy whether it's Jared Vanderbilt is going to try and plug in there. It's gonna be tough. Their roster is not very good beyond those guys, and so they have to rely when they get to the playoffs, they have to hope that Doncic and James are healthy, that Reeves is healthy, which you know he's been for the most part. But Doncic and James are gonna be playing, you know, forty two forty three, forty four minutes in playoff games. And we've seen both guys be able to lift their teams up with the way that they play. And so I wouldn't put anything past a team that has a healthy Lebron James on it because he's he's always proven that he's that good, you know, when the when the real lights come on. So can they get past Okay, see, can they get past Memphis, which is a very good team when they're healthy? Can they get past a healthy Denver team? You know these guys, these are tough uh teams that that are going to give them a lot of problems. You know, is Golden State gonna be better uh towards the end of the season when when Jimmy Butler gets in the in the flow and if those guys are healthy, you know, with Green and Curry, you know, can they make some kind of noise in in the in the playoffs? It's you know, as we always say, Spence, the old worn out adage, right, the best players best ability is his availability. And so that's what it comes down to when you get to the to the playoffs, is who's who's on the floor, who's healthy and and can they can they carry a team over a seven game stretch, you know, and and that kind of an atmosphere.
Speaker 2: He referenced the Mark Williams trade being rescinded, which meant the Lakers had to tell Dalton Connect they actually liked them a lot all along. And same thing on the other side. That has to be a unique challenge when a trade is done. You were telling a story off air about the Ronnie Cyclic deal back in the day. It really, you know, would have given you guys a very talented center. My understanding of the story is Ronnie did not want to live in Salt Lake City. What's it like when the trade is actually consummated and then for whatever reason, it falls apart, then you have to remind the guy who trade to wait, no, we actually do.
Speaker 5: Like you well, you know back then, you know, spence to refresh memories of our fans. I mean, maybe some haven't even heard this story, but in ninety eight February of ninety eight, near the trade deadline, the Jazz decided to try and get an offensive threat in the center position to go along with Karl Malan, John Stockton, Jeff Horniseck making another push toward a second NBA Finals. So they got a deal done with Orlando where they were willing to trade Chris Morris, Greg Foster, and the first round pick to the Orlando Magic for Ronnie Cyclely. And Ronnie Cyclely was an offensive center, was a good player and would have fit in well with what the Jazz are doing at that time, and the Jazz in Orlando actually made the trade. Chris Morris and Greg Foster went to Orlando, they did their physical, they actually attended an Orlando practice, and then they were pulled off the court after practice, and Ronnie Cyclely was balking about coming, balking about coming, something about you know, whether he wanted to play here or he wanted his contract extended, if he was coming something something, And so finally the traders just called off, and the parties involve said, you know what, there's too much heavy lifting going on here. We're just going back to what we had. And so Greg Foster and Chris Morris come back to the Jazz. They have a meeting with Jerry Sloan. You guys got a problem. You know, this is the NBA, this is the business. Both guys are like, now, you know, we get it whatever, And we ended up. The Jazz ended up that year going on and making another run to the to the their second NBA Finals in ninety eight, with both those guys playing minutes in rotation and and uh and Greg Foster doing his famous throat slash and and at near the end of Game four in La to to help the Jazz go get over the hump and and then get to the NBA Finals again. And you know, that's just part of the business. You know. You hope you got guys who who understand that. I got a young guy like Dalton Connect. You know, he's a rookie. Okay, you know he's a little bit of an older rookie. But you know, you know, guys, Jerry Sloan will always say, you know, are your feelings hurt? You know? Okay, well, you know you got about ten minutes to get over that, and then we got we got work to do. And and that's just the business, you know. And it's an unfortunate part.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it's a difficult part because sometimes you know, people's families are involved and and those kinds of things and you have to deal with that, and that's all part. That's why the trade deadline being in the middle of the season like that is really is really uneasy for everybody because nobody wants to have to go through that and and be in situations like that.
Speaker 2: What's one thing before I say you lose that you find interesting about tonight because it's, like we've talked about, it's tough to cover a team that's not trying to win and you're reaching for storylines and maybe Isaiah Colliers this or that. Before I set you lose, one interesting tidbit for tonight's game.
Speaker 5: Well, I just got one that's way out in left field, Spencer, but he doesn't doesn't make any difference about anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was talking to Coach Waiting about this the other day. First time I can ever remember, and I'm pretty sure this would be right that the Jazz are playing the teams from LA four games in a row. Think about it. They played the Clippers in LA, play the Lakers in LA play the Lakers in Salt Lake play the Clippers tomorrow night. They never used to whenever you'd go to LA. You never used to play both teams on the same trip. They always split it up for whatever reason. So you'd always go there, play the Lakers, go back, go to Phoenix, go to Sacramento, go somewhere else. Three weeks later, go back to LA to play the Clippers. Whatever. Now they've got this thing where, you know, an unusual quirk in the schedule where they're playing the LA teams four times in a row, which is unusual. That's about the best thing I can come up with for any interesting storyline about the game tonight, Spence, because otherwise, really, let's be honest, it's just game fifty one out of eighty two in early February that nobody really cares much about other than maybe Luca Doncic and Lebron James both play. Maybe they both.
Speaker 2: They're both playing, according to what we've been telling more more Laker fans or Jazz fans in the building tonight.
Speaker 5: Well, that's always been a question, uh forever. Any time the Lakers come, there's there's always a large contingency of Laker fans in the Delta Center building. And which is uh, which is always uh? Uh? We always would have a big bone to pick with. You know a lot of the season ticket holders who would sell their tickets to some people they knew were Laker fans and try and make a bunch of money off them and stuff, and and the Laker fans always show up. They always show up in Lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Smittiewell, great to see you. As always, we'll continue to make NBA basketball and interesting, even though the Jazz are tough to cover.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey, that's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: Indeed, enjoy the game. We'll see you, say man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The great Richard Smith forty years with the Jazz front off