Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits you pal right in the quizzer. I'm David Flora.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Annie Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are people who saw Spider Man. That one's getting all sorts of blockbuster success.
Speaker 1: Mm mmmm. We were not one of them. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marvel's like, oh no, no one watches our movie.
Speaker 1: Oh you better do a Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Everyone watches Spider Man. I'm sure the next Avengers will do well too. So they just have to cast fifty to a list actors in every movie going forward. Yeah, I mean not that Spider Man has that, so hopefully it's good. We haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Probably has twenty five a list.
Speaker 2: True, Hey, David, y'all you know who else is an A list? Cue Amy Amy, she's our newest patron.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And we'll be doing trivia this Saturday. That's right, this Saturday, not next Saturday, not last Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's what. Oh August eighth noon, Mountain Time coming out. It's on zoom. It's a fun time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Otherwise, should we dive into the show, David, I would like to. Here is how the show works.
Speaker 1: Witz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang Bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions whose answers are all clues to one final question.
Speaker 2: Round one. Question one the category he is literature, which twenty seventeen young adult novel was author and G. Thomas's debut and was later turned into a movie starring Amandola Stedenberg, Common and Sabrina Carpenter. Question two. The category is language. This question comes from Brian the Language Guy.
Speaker 1: Thank you Brian.
Speaker 2: There is a brand of travel mugs called Contigo. What does contigo mean in Spanish? That's con tigo. Question three. The category is mythology. The Greek titan Prometheus was punished by the gods for stealing and giving humanity what Question four. The category is currency. This question comes from Major Data. Thank you Maja, which us coin features a pioneering woman's suffrage leader on its obverse and an eagle landing on the moon with Earth in the background on its reverse, and now the answers to a round one. Question one, which twenty seventeen young adult novel was author Angie Thomas's debut novel, The Hate You Give. If you're wondering who Amandola was. If that name wasn't familiar to you, you probably have seen her. She played Rue in the Hunger Games and has gone on to have several successes. After question two, there's a brand of try have a mugs called Contigo. What does contigo mean in Spanish? Contigo means with you. Question three. The Greek titan Prometheus was punished by the gods for stealing and giving humanity what fire? That was nice of him. Fire is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it upset the others a lot. But some people will say it's technology or knowledge that he gave to humanity. I would probably be inclined to accept those answers. But it's in the form of fire, so that you know, humanity could settle and tame the land and grow as a civilization because they hadn't you know, figured out fire yet.
Speaker 2: That's a big one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he was punished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor Prometheus. Yes. Question four, which US coin features a pioneering women's suffrage leader on its obverse and an eagle landing on the mood like they do on its reverse. It's the Susan B. Anthony Dollar. It was intended as a replacement for the larger Eisenhower Dollar, but it had to go through a lot of testing and shapes and revisions because there was opposition from the vending machine industry, a powerful lobby affecting coin legislation.
Speaker 1: Always so yeah. Round two. Question five, the category is film for what movie did Halle Berry win the Best Actress Oscar? Question six category Tasty Joystick And this one comes to us from listener Josh.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Josh, Thank you, Josh.
Speaker 1: Tasty Joystick is a before and after that involves a video game and food. It's based on Tasty Licks, which is music and food and for the before and after. If I said this chocolate confection, have you living on a prayer? The answer would be bon bon Jovi. So you just replace the music act with a video game in this one, here we go for this Soviet puzzle game. Quickly arrange four tetrominos in a horizontal line as they fall into a pile of this creamy Italian rice dish. Question seven, category science. On the periodic table, which element comes last? Alphabetically? Question eight category comics. This one comes to us from listener James. Thank you, James, Thank you, James. What fictional minor league baseball player does Charlie Brown idolize? And now the answers to round two? Question five for what movie did Halle Berry win the best actress? Oscar Monster's Ball? Question six, for this Soviet puzzle game, quickly arrange four tetrominos and a horizontal line as they fall into a pile of this creamy Italian rice dish. That would be tetrasoto. Nice nice. Question seven on the periodic table, which element comes last? Alphabetically zirconium. Question eight, What fictional minor league baseball player does Charlie Brown idolize? Joe Schlabotnik His ineptitude at baseball matches Charlie Brown's own skill level. First appearing by name in August nineteen sixty three, he is famous for his abysmal athletic career, including an infamous point zero four batting average. Sure he hit.
Speaker 2: Something, Yeah, that's it for the first half, which means it's time for the Bang Bang round The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is Society and Culture. You will have thirty seconds to answer the following question. Larry the Cat is the official chief mouser at ten Downing Street. The tabby arrived in twenty eleven and has been with seven UK Prime Ministers. Name them. Your time starts now.
Speaker 1: And that's time. These seven UK Prime Ministers that Larry the Cat has seen in his tenure are David Cameron, Teresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Keir Starmer and Andy Burnham. He's also been through two monarchs.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true. This cat has seen a lot.
Speaker 1: It's cats seen some stuff and they say he's not a very good mouser really, but his girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Are well, there you go. Then he's a good mel Sir. He's a Tom Sawyer apparent ladies man.
Speaker 1: All right, and real quick, we'd like to mention our newest sponsor. This episode is brought to you by Learn Clash. If you listen to this show, you're already practicing for quiz Night, so here's a way to make that practice count. Learn Clash is one on one trivia duels on any topic you can think of. You type in a topic, it builds the quiz and you battle a real opponent about three minutes a turn.
Speaker 2: It's turn based, so you play whenever you want, and it uses based repetition, which means the questions you miss come back right before you'd forget them. That's the difference between hearing an answer and owning it. At the bar on Thursday.
Speaker 1: It's free to play with no ads ever. Go to learn clash dot com slash quiz Bang that's QUI Z B A n G and start your first duel today. Thank you again to learn clash for sponsoring this episode. We appreciate it, and now on to round three Round three.
Speaker 2: Question nine the category is music. What was the name of ac DC's seventh studio album, the first to feature Brian Johnson as the lead singer and was a tribute to Bond Scott, who had passed away. Question ten, the category is vexillology. This question comes from listener Bubbe. Thank you Bobby, Bobby. Which country is widely credited as having the world's oldest continuously used national flag. Question eleven the category is food and drink, which spice provides the main flavoring of lash. Question twelve. The category is technology. This question comes from listener Jos, Thank you Jos. Originally called the memory disc, the floppy disc was invented by which company? And now the answer is around three. Question nine? What was the name of acdc's seventh studio album, the first to feature Brian Johnson Back in Black? It was very successful? Question ten? Which country is widely credited as having the worlds old is continuously used national flag denmark. It even holds the Guinness World Record for it, So you know it's true.
Speaker 1: You know they paid a lot for it.
Speaker 2: Question eleven, which spice provides the main flavoring of gulash paprika or Paprika papka. Question twelve. Originally called the memory disc, the floppy disc was invented by which company? IBM Sony manufactured its last new floppy disc in twenty eleven. It is funny. I think I've said this before in an episode, but when you are in Microsoft word the save button is the image of a floppy disc. So a lot of people use the image without actually knowing what it is.
Speaker 1: Those of us from the before times remember round four. Question thirteen. The category is history. What was the name of Blackbeard's Ship. Question fourteen, Category anatomy. This one comes to us from listener Renee. Thank you, Renee, Thank you, Renee. The smallest bone in the human body is smaller than a grain of rice. Where is it located? And for two extra points, what is it called? Question fifteen category pop culture, which musician announced she would be taking a break from public visibility after her Eternal Sunshine tour ends and won't be reuniting with Jonathan Bailey for a West End musical. Question sixteen, Category Sports. This one comes to us from listener Leela. Thank you Leela. Thanklida, who was the first American woman to win Wimbledon, and now the answers to round four Question thirteen. What was the name of Blackbeard's ship The Queen Anne's Revenge? Question fourteen, Where is the smallest bone in the human body located? And what is it called? It's located in the ear and it is called the stapees or stirrup. Stape's is the Latin. Question fifteen, which musician announced she'd be taking a break from public visibility after her Eternal Sunshine tour ends.
Speaker 2: Ariana Grande, Yeah, her and Jonathan Bailey, We're going to do Sunday in the park with George on the West End, so that would have been very neat. But if she needs to take a step back to take care of her health, I'm obviously pro taking care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Question sixteen. Who was the first American woman to win Wimbledon? Was in nineteen oh five and it was May Sutton at age seventeen, she won the singles title at the US National Championships and in nineteen oh five became the first American to win the singles title at Wimbledon. They're by the first woman to win two different Grand Slams.
Speaker 2: It's fun looking her up just to see what they used to wear to play tennis. She looks like she could be going to high tea as well.
Speaker 1: Jeez, the hat kept getting in the way. My crosage of Jen Coles keeps hampering my swing at all.
Speaker 2: And that's it for the regular rounds, which means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for the this week's Big Bang Round is currency. We will give you three clue questions which are all hints to one final question. The clue questions may not fall under the same category.
Speaker 1: Question one, which country just won the Men's twenty twenty six FIFA World Cup.
Speaker 2: Question two, which twenty seventeen animated films starring John Cena and Kate McKinnon, follows a pacifist bull on his journey to return home from a bullfighting ranch.
Speaker 1: Question three, whose expeditions were the first known European contact with the Caribbean in Central and South America.
Speaker 2: And Your Big Bang question, whose face adorned the first US coin to bear the likeness of a foreign monarch, and.
Speaker 1: Now the answers to the Big Bang. Question one? Which country just won the twenty twenty six Men's FIFA World Cup Spain.
Speaker 2: Question two, which twenty seventeen animated film starring John Cena and Kate McKinnon, follows a pacifist bull on his journey to return home from a bullfighting ranch. Ferdinand.
Speaker 1: Question three, whose expeditions were the first known European contact with the Caribbean in Central and South America, Christopher Columbus.
Speaker 2: And Your Big Bang question, whose face adorned the first US coin to bear the likeness of a foreign monarch, known for unifying Spain and being patrons of Columbus with her husband Ferdinand. It's Queen Isabella it's the eighteen ninety three Isabella Quarter.
Speaker 1: Now we did say first coin to have a monarch on there. There is a second coin that has had a monarch on it. The monarch is King Kamehamea of Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Very cool. I want that coin.
Speaker 1: It's much more recent than eighteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the Isabella Quarter probably is a special collector's.
Speaker 1: Items now, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I was lucky enough to get to go to Spain when I was in high school and some of my classmates went to a bullfight and I wanted to go, but I didn't know. I just had seen like KR tunes of bullfights and stuff, so I thought it was just a man who dances around a bull and shows, you know, the little flag flag to get it going. And I was like, well, it seems like the chances of seeing the man getting injured are low, so I think it'd be cool to go and have that experience. Luckily, my mother was like, they kill the bull, they stab it, it dies. I don't want to see that at all. So no, I have not seen a bullfight, and I don't think I ever will. I think you could argue that all bulls are pacifists that sounds like a cute movie. Anyway, Sorry to be a bubber about bullfighting.
Speaker 1: I think it's important to know. I mean here in the States, I feel like we haven't heard that growing up. When you see the cartoons and stuff, you just think, Oh, they're just doing their thing. Yeah, maybe it's getting more known. I don't know, but it is important to keep that in mind if you're thinking about wanting to see one, since it's not, you know, generally taught.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know what you're in for when you want to go see something. I mean, I would have been horrified if I had. I've been like, what am I watching? Why am I seeing this?
Speaker 1: And I think we just heard on an old QI episode that the bulls don't go after the red color of the cape that they wave. They go after the movement of it. Yeah, is what they said, right, So that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They also said that the Robin hates the color red. And we had a funny experience at the beginning of this summer where Robin's when at certain stages of their life become extra crazy and extra territorial, and Robin decided to pick a fight with my sister's car. It would jump onto the side mirror, then jump onto the window, look at the mirror, attack it, fall off, and repeat it over and over again. Well, it actually it started by attacking our window. So there was a little period of time where every morning David and I were waking up to the sound of our robin throwing itself at our bedroom window and we're like, what is happening? And we finally had to just tape up our window with newspaper because we didn't want I mean, first of all, it's not the best way to wake up, but second of all, we didn't want the poor little thing to hurt itself, so we had to tape it up and leave it taped up. And finally it's like, all right, I beat this window now to the next. And so yeah, my sister had to do all sorts of things to try to get it to stop attacking the car. Luckily, it has a grown out of this phase in our window in her car back to normal, but it was it was kind of annoying, but it was also very funny in the Robins Fine, he survived his agro phase.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to get into your agro phase with supporting.
Speaker 2: Us, that's right, Oliver. Everyone who supports us is just.
Speaker 1: Angry all the time, angrily supportive, happily angry. Ah be like Amy and join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Quizbang Five dollars in up gets you an extra episode a month, or you can buy us a coffee at kodah fi dot com slash quizbangpod. We appreciate all the sport on all your listening. Zoom Trivia is Saturday, August eighth, noon Mountain time. If you need the link, let us know. And other than that for this episode of Quiz Quizbang Bang, I've been David Flora, I've.
Speaker 2: Been Annie Flora quiz But yeah, I guess the eagle landing on the moon was as part of a congratulations to Apollo eleven. And just like the fire, it wasn't a real eagle that landed on the moon. Could you imagine if they had brought an eagle with them and put it an eagle in a little astronaut suit just to be extra patriotic.
Speaker 1: I can imagine that happening nowadays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Don't give him any ideas.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Prometheus, an eagle was the punishment. It would eat his liver every day as he was chained to a mountain, so Eagles and Prometheus already connected Danny.
Speaker 2: There we go