Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right hour number two Here on a Thursday afternoon coffee and company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You can take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. If you want to join us on the show, you can. Phone lines are open now five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred. Text line is the Llenn Federal Credit Union text Line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. I'm sorry for these weird pauses. I usually don't drink soft drinks during the show, but I went and grabbed a diet coke today out of the fridge. We're a little low on the other stuff, so it's the best option for me, and I forgot that. I you know, there's a reason I don't try to drink soft drinks during the show. That make me belch and that's unprofessional. And you guys know I'm the furthest thing from unprofessional. I'm a very professional speaking of it, Let's get back into the sand and the Shannon Shark sex tape that only includes audio, which is really really weird. But anyways, it was a bad joke. All right, Let's go to the text line. A good question that comes in here, say Nick, when it comes to nil, do you think players now receiving money should make them more comfortable with getting fan criticism considering they're getting paid? You know, I was given that some thought during the break. I think, if you like, let me give you an example. Who's the quarterback at Auburn.
Speaker 3: Peyton Thorn. He he got bitched.
Speaker 2: They're going with a different quarterback at Auburn because Auburn's off to a rough start, struggled in their first game against I'm not even sure who it was, and then they lost to Cal and they're now going with a different quarterback, and Peyton Thorn. I've seen some comments about him, well some comments from him, probably not him going out of it, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Know the specifics, but quotes from him have been shared.
Speaker 2: I assume those are quotes that are coming from like a press conference or an interview. I doubt he's I mean, I don't think he's just randomly throwing out stuff on social media. But he made a comment, and I'm not picking on the guy, but he made a comment about how he received a bunch of messages from angry fans that were mad about him sucking and the team losing, therefore they lost a bet, and then he made he made he made a reference that you know, whenever we do play well and they win their bet, I don't hear from him and get any of that money, Which why would you, like, I don't I mean that to me, that just seems a little bit. But long story short, nobody wants criticism in a crazy harsh way like you're gonna get when an emotional fan is upset you lost, right, Like the best opportunity to see grown ups acting like children and doing things that is really I would hope outside of their true character is when their emotional after their team wins and you know they can tweet stuff at PLU. I mean, it doesn't happen as often as it probably used to. I don't know, maybe it does because there's a lot of anonymous people on Twitter, but like, you should never tweet at a player, hey you suck, or thanks for dropping that pass, like you know people are gonna do it. There's never gonna be a scenario where that doesn't happen at all. And I think players know that it's it's bound to happen every now and then. But the best chance to see somebody do it is right after their team loses and emotions are high.
Speaker 3: Well, now you got money involved, right.
Speaker 2: It's one thing if people are upset because they're team lost, but if they're team lost and there's money that they could have been gained if they won, and now it's money that's lost, Like, people are gonna act like idiots, not condoning it. But I think the hesitancy that you would see this is the best way to describe it. The hesiitency that you would see previously is now no longer there at that same level. Because when you used to type up something on Twitter, rather it be a DM or an Instagram message, whatever, you would think. Okay, man, it's a college kid. I need to calm down. I mean, you know he's playing hard. I mean it's I shouldn't I shouldn't behave like this. What am I doing? I'm a grown up. Why am I acting like this? That hesitancy is probably not at the same level, because now you're you're thinking, this guy's getting paid. I put in five hundred bucks last month from my for the NIL collective. This guy's out here sucking. I'm gonna let him know about it. So again, nobody should do that. But there that's nil or no innil. That's always been a thing, fans losing their cool and behaving hopefully out of character. Maybe that is their true character, but just you know, being jerks to college kids out there playing for the level of the game. Now they're playing and they're making money. So again that doesn't mean you should do it. I just think of you're a college athlete, you should now know that like the optics of this, and it's not even just the optics, it's what it is. This is professional sports, and I don't think the old well, hey.
Speaker 3: We can't boo.
Speaker 2: We're never gonna boo because these guys are just out there playing for the love of the game. They're playing for that name on the front of the jersey, not the back, and they're going to school every day for this many hours and man, they just they're out there working hard for nothing. Well no, that's not what it is now, So I think that alone makes it to where these student athletes should just understand that fans are gonna be like that at times.
Speaker 3: And I'm curious. I do think.
Speaker 2: Booing is a very sensitive subject in college sports, at least I feel like it is, because there's some that say you should never boo. These are college kids. And there's some people that say that, then they'll boo and you know what they say, No, uh.
Speaker 3: I'm booing the coach. I'm booing the coach. I'm not booing the players. I'm boo the coach. He's making eight million a year. I'm booing his ass. But like nobody knows.
Speaker 2: Like again, it's the effect of booing is not like players aren't out there running to the locker room.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you hear these booze men. They're really giving it to coach.
Speaker 2: They're gonna know they're booing them all collectively. So now that again, it is professional sports and it's right in our face. Like maybe you can boo and feel like, you know what, these guys are getting paid, they deserve to be booed.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: But again, it's so stupid how we do it. This is pay for play. I mean, you're not paid based off of the type of performance that you have. But if you're a good player who's produced, probably gonna get a bigger nil deal than somebody who doesn't.
Speaker 3: So it is pro sports.
Speaker 2: It is pay for play, but we have to act like it's not by calling it name, image, and likeness. So maybe that could be the guardrail there where people claim, well, hey, they're not they're not being paid to got out here and play, So we can't boom them they're getting paid because they they tweeted about my business and you know, has nothing to do with the fact that they are the star quarterback, nothing to do that they're a five star freshmen coming in out of high school. You know, they're they're they're not. They're only doing this because of who they are, not because of their their status as an athlete. So it's an interesting question. I still think we're relatively new and early into this new world of college sports now being pro sports. But yeah, I mean I don't think fans should ever DM a player, regardless of anything pro or college, Like why would you wait, like you think they need that? Like what's productive about that? Now, With that said, if you're a pro athlete making millions and you're underperforming. I think you should just expect fans to act like that. I mean, again, I'm just that's not my nature. I'm not a I mean, I can't think. I don't know if I've ever randomly written somebody a message on the Internet telling them I hate them or that they suck, because that's just not how I'm not to say that I'm holier than now. I've done a lot of stupid stuff, but like, that's not my personality. Although sometimes when I feel like the show is not great, IDM, John, I'm like, you suck so much as a producer, get your act together. Not really I would have the heart to do that. But have you ever had the urge to tweet it a player? John at a player?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't either.
Speaker 4: I think even when I was younger, I mean, there was definitely a point where I was a lot more emotional with my fandom, especially with Indiana, But I never once felt like, oh, I'm gonna go, you know, I'm gonna go tweet it Jordan holes and talk about how bad of a point guard he's been tonight. I don't know, I've never thought to do that. But that you never thought to do it because Jordan Holes was fantastic. But another reason Ever tweeted him.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like that that's that wasn't coming from a certain place, was like, you're not You're not blaming him for Tom Crean not being able to effectively execute against the zone against Syracuse back in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: Right, there were a lot of.
Speaker 4: High school games I remember where, like towards the end of the Tom creen era, where Tom Crean would go and scout a player. I think maybe he was going to watch his son. I can't remember the exact specifics.
Speaker 3: When they kissed.
Speaker 4: No, that wasn't when they kissed. But there were fans because they were so angry with Tom Crean, if they saw him at the game, they would boo him at the high school game. And that's very it's a very uncomfortable thing.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's the best word to describe it. It's uncomfortable because you can kind of understand and no coach truly views it this way, at least not any that I've ever actually known, and I don't know many coaches. But if fans are gonna boo you at a high school game that you're attending, that's a good fan base. Sounds crazy to say, but they care. They are passionate and you need that. So you know, I'm not condoning it, and I'm sure no. If it was me, i'd say, what's this lunatic doing? Get this guy out of here, harassing me when I'm not even at work, Like it is crazy, But fans who care that much to do it are the most passionate fan base, which that's always mattered, right, because you're gonna need all that support and just you know, you're a big deal in your in your own state and in your city, within your fan base, like everybody wants that, but now it's you can leverage it with money that you need to go get players. So you know, anytime a coach brings up negativity from fans or from media, that's the biggest tell that they're they're they're done. Not to say that they're gonna never win again and they're gonna get fired, but they're they're defeated at that point. They are, I mean, because you're trying to get sympathy when like you just need to go. You need to understand your job is to win, like Dabbo right like after they got their ass kicked by Georgia. What did he talk about? I'm content in my life. I know you can't change that for me. Y'all gonna ride about the good stuff, and we do the good stuff. Gonna ride about the badge Stubb, but we do the bad stuff. Don't matter to me. And then he went on for like two minutes talking about how he doesn't care, doesn't read it, and clearly it does trigger him. So you know, anytime a coach does that, they're they're they're dealing with it. They're struggling. Not to say that they can't recover from it. But like Billy Napier, I mean, they had the worst start they could have had with that blowout loss to Miami on their home field in Gainesville, and he started making references about we can't ignore the fans in central Florida in their basements, like that's insult. First of all, again, I did neetver even brought this up. I gotta be I've said a lot of dumb stuff on this show over the years. I've said a lot of dumb stuff. Probably the last five minutes hand up total dumbass on. I had no clue Florida houses didn't have basements, Like it made sense, but like I didn't know why that became such a bad comment from him, Like because it turned into where nobody was mad that he was like deflecting and blaming fan negativity and acting like people are not helping him whenever it's his job to get his guys focused on winning and executing and not paying attention to the Internet. But it actually turned out to where people just made fun of him because he didn't know that the state that he's in where he coaches at the University of Florida, nobody in those homes in that state has a basement. And you know, I kept thinking, like wait a second, really, and then sure enough, yeah, there's no I mean again, it makes sense. I just had never I've been to Florida many times in my life. I've been to homes in Florida, and I never once thought about it that they never have a basement. That to me, that's a reason you don't live in Florida. Basements are great.
Speaker 4: Maybe because he's Billy Napier. Maybe he built his own house there, I mean not with his own hand, but had his house built and put his own basement, and he's the only one in Florida, and so he assumes everybody else has a basement.
Speaker 2: But like, if you went to a builder rather you're talking about a single family home and a modest price or millions of millions of dollars that you have to spend on a home. If you go to de develop to a developer and say you want a basement, like, will they do it?
Speaker 4: I mean maybe if you throw a little extra under the table. I mean I'm not saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, are you allowed to have a basement in Florida.
Speaker 4: I don't think you are. I think it's a flood concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I can't be the I mean maybe I am. Maybe this is just what I say to kind of really acknowledge like that I didn't realize how dumb I was. Like, I can't be the only one that didn't realize that, right, Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 4: I wish I could feel for you, But I've had family in Florida for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, says Yes, it's technically possible to build a basement in some parts of Florida, but they are uncommon and can be very challenging to construct. Apparently that Florida water, the high water table down there in Florida is a big factor.
Speaker 4: Who to thunk?
Speaker 3: Who will?
Speaker 2: I mean again, you sometimes I really learn a lot just by saying something really stupid and being corrected by people. And that's not really what this was. But had I been you know, had I not seen the internet mocking this man for the basement reference, I would have never known that that was like a weird thing to say when you're the coach in Florida and literally there's no basements in central Florida. And if he wasn't like so sensitive already because he knows he's going to get fired, he could lean into that and have fun with it. And that's always what you should do as a coach. Don't need yourself too seriously, you know, make fun of yourself. If you know that you're an easy target for something silly, it can make you very endearing. I'm sure Billionaghbor's listening right now, and I hope he appreciates the advice of just giving him. All right, let me give you guys some advice. If you want to win tickets to see Brooks and Dune, you want to boot, scoot and buggy your way to the KFC Center in April when they bring their Neon Moon Tour. Here's what you gotta do. You got to download the Fantasy I'm sorry, the Underdog Fantasy app. If you have an iPhone, if you have an Android. I don't think there's any other platforms out there for smartphones. If so, I'll stay corrected. But just search for Underdog Fantasy you'll you'll see it right there.
Speaker 3: It's free.
Speaker 2: You download. You sign up using the code Nick seven ninety. When you sign up, you'll be prompted for a code. You don't have to enter one, but you got to show me that you entered the code Nick seven ninety and if you do that, you're enter to win today. We're gonna draw the winner randomly at five point thirty today. So you got about an hour and fifteen minutes to download, sign up, you can send it to I mean, heck, this gives you more chances to win. Like let's say you know you're listening and you think, hey, I'm gonna tell my wife and my brother and you know, my two kids to sign up.
Speaker 3: And you know, once.
Speaker 2: They send proof that you've got multiple people signing up, like that's more entries for you. So again, well before and I'm hopeful that tomorrow can kind of expand as to why this is the way we're going about the giveaway today. But again for today's giveaway, that's what you gotta do. Download the app, sign up with the promo code Nick seven ninety, send a screenshot showing that you signed up to our text line. Our text line is five h two six five three zero seven ninety against five ZHO two six five three zero seven ninety. And if you don't know about Underdog Fantasy, I'd love to tell you guys about it, because it's sports wagering, but it's just different. And if you are somebody who really enjoys betting on individual players in games, a lot of people call that player props. That's not the terminology used with Underdog Fantasy. But I love this because I like player props, and now I've got my own platform for it. Right, I don't have to get you know, I don't have to mix up my parlays, my straight bets, and then my player props. I mean, you can do what you want, But if you are somebody that really likes to just focus in and zero in on not not money lines, not spreads, not over unders. As far as team scores, but just individual players. Underdog Fantasy has all that.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: So just if you if you're on the app, you go to NFL. You have to do it by game. So in order to you know, place a wager, make a pick, put some money on said pick, and then make some money.
Speaker 3: Give you an example.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills taken on to a tug of baloa in the Miami Dolphins. The game's in Miami, so you have to have a pick from each side of the matchup. So let's just give you an example. Let's say I think Josh Allen's going over two hundred and forty four and a half passing yards. I click higher. That's that's one of my picks. I got to make another pick in order for it to be something I can actually wager on. Let's say I'm going to go and again, this is just an example. These aren't my picks. I'm just give you an example. I now go lower into as passing yards. So that's two picks higher than two forty four and a half for Allen, lower than two seventy one and a half for two. If I put ten bucks on that and it comes in correct, I get thirty three bucks. Just like it's very similar to what you what you've done when you make a wager on a sports betting app that's picking, spreads, money, lines, parlays, that kind of stuff. But you don't have to just cold. There's all kinds of options when you when you do this. So for example, let's say I like Tyreek Hill to go for let's say over six and a half receptions. I click higher, and this is where the terminology is a little different. It says high, er lower. A lot of people are still accustomed just saying over. Under the terminology here with an underdog fantasy is going to be higher or lower.
Speaker 3: It's same thing.
Speaker 2: It's just again, don't get confused by the you know, by the difference there. So now I've got three legs essentially here, I got three picks, so ten bucks. If this comes in, I make sixty one dollars on a ten dollars wager. If all three of these things happen, Josh Allen goes I higher, two, it goes lower in passing yards, and Tyreek Hill ends up getting more than six and a half receptions. Let's add one more to the fire. Here, let's say, uh, I mean, you don't even have to tell me, John, but I know that you think you think that Keon Coleman is going is.
Speaker 3: Going to score a touchdown?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I can just you didn't have to say it. I could tell John thinks Keon Coleman's getting a touchdown. So we're going to say it higher than zero point five. So now I got four picks within this game tonight, and if I bet ten bucks on these four picks and all four come in, that's one hundred and seventy nine bucks in my pocket. And again, you're not basing this off of a team backdoor covering. It's all based off of individual statistics from players. And here's where it gets really cool. They've got an option when you make when you make one of these plays, that's what they call it. Again, terminology. I don't want to confuse people, but the terminology here with underdog Fantasy is much different than what you're probably used to. If you're using different, if you're using competiting. In fact, I don't even know if there is a competitor, because again this is not a sports book per se. You cannot bet on games with Underdog fantasy, but you don't need to because you can do all the other stuff. So the way you'll see it is, I now have these four things. Keon Coleman anytime touchdown just one tyreek hill more than six and a half receptions, and then I took the over for passing or higher passing yards for Josh Allen lower for Tua ten dollars. Again makes one hundred and seventy nine dollars and eighty cents. If I want to play those four what I can do is also flex, which gives me the chance to give myself a little bit of an insurance policy here. So what I'm doing is when I flex it, if I get four correct because I flexed, instead of getting one seventy nine eighty, I'm getting one oh seven eighty nine. However, if one of them does not come in, I can still win. If I got three out of four correct and I bet ten bucks, I'm still walking away with over thirty dollars in profit. So again it's Underdog Fantasy. Download the apps, sign up with the code Nick seven ninety joint in on all the fun I'm gonna start giving you guys each. I mean, there's all kinds I mean, I love doing this and actually what this wasn't even part of the plan here for me. But now like my player wagers my individual stuff here, it's it's all separate than anything I'm doing when it comes to you know, betting on games and that kind of stuff, it's different, but it's kind of the same. And either way you can make real money here. A lot of money can be made. So sign up Underdog Fantasy. The code is Nick seven ninety and again, if you do it right now and you screenshot me proof that you have signed up, you'll be in here to win two tickets to see Brooks and Done. The only thing better than Brooks and Done is doctor Larry Ben's a proep physical therapy and he's going to join us. Coming up on the other side, let's talk with doctor Ben's keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are fuel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety rolling along on a Thursday afternoon, and we now bring in special guest, doctor Larry Ben's from pro rehab Physical Therapy. How we doing this afternoon, Larry.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you Nick, We're doing fantastic. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: It's been feeling like a Friday all day today, but it's not. And that's kind of you know, that's a negative thing, right, because Fridays are great. But I'm now just I'm now embracing Thursday as the new Friday because that's when football starts. We've got some NFL action tonight, good college games as well, and then football the next few days. It's good stuff. So I'm doing well all considered. Somebody who's not doing well Christian McCaffrey. He was held out of the opener for the Niners, a guy who's been super impressive throughout his career but also has had some nagging injuries during his time. But the conversation here is not just about Mason, who stepped in and did phenomenal in McCaffrey's place. But he might have slipped up and said something maybe his bosses wouldn't have liked him to say. He's probably being very honest, but he did say after the game that he found out on Friday night that he would be getting the start. That has led to a lot of people claiming that the Niners might have broken a rule. Only they could really tell us that, right. I guess my question, Larry, is I feel like it's important to let these NFL franchises know. There's now a rule in college where you've got to release an injury report if you're in the SEC, and I believe there's another league that does it as well. But I feel like you could probably get away with being dishonest, and they would have a really tough time proving that.
Speaker 5: Well. I don't know if the word dishonest I would use it. But keep in mind that these categories of questionable and doubtful are not absolute lines. They're not they're not objective criteria. I think the NFL gets up or the you know, forty nine ers get to pass on this one. They listed him as questionable, so in theory, they could have asked Mason to you know, be the starter on Friday, but you know, said he's going to come in in special situations. That's not you know, unusual. I think the other part of it is that apparently in this you know, that incident caused Kyle Shanahan to come out admit that McCafferty not only has some CAF issues. He's got some achilles issues, which makes more sense to me why they kept them out, because he said if it was a playoff game, he would have played. But if you've got some vulnerabilities and achilles ten in this early in the season, you can risk a complete tear and then it is, you know, then the year is over with. It looks like he's gonna, you know, be dressed and ready to play this weekend. From from all reports. So the NFL has not said they're going to investigate. I don't think that they will the truth be told. I think, you know, Joe Burrows last year in that incident with his wrist may have even been you know, that might have been a little bit more obfuscation than this incident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it'd be a waste of resources to really invest in looking into this because you know, you're right, dishonesty is probably not really what it is. I mean, heck, they could have told Jordan Mason, hey, look, you're you're likely going to be getting a bulk of the carries regardless of what happens with CMC, just because of his situation. And if you're a teammate, then you're aware that he's dealing with with with a nagging injury. I I guess I'm asking you to speculate here, But do you think because there's so much money being bet on the NFL now, that they just feel like having the protocol in place and telling these franchises they need to, you know, give updates Like I just think it's more of a if it's more of a of a cover your own rear end kind of thing.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's any heightened sensitivity just because there's more legalized gambling, because there's been more illegal gambling. That's true, many years.
Speaker 3: That's true, And.
Speaker 5: So I don't know that this necessarily has changed things. I think there's a grain of the lines when there is the coaches, both in college and in pro are going to take that to the limit, and so call it gamesmanship, call it, you know, strategy, whatever you want. In this case, I think there's much ado about nothing. I think they had intentionally listed them as questionable. He was questionable, he decided not to play. There's a lot of NFL games where their players you know, are announced right before game time, in this case, ninety minutes that they're not going to play. So that's why you have the practice squad and those other kind of things. So I think way too much was made of this way.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think because it's a Monday night, you know, if you have a fantasy football team, you've probably already played all the running backs you could have, and he was listed as questionable, which I think probably was the truth. And yet it's it's probably people just growing in it because their fantasy team out have taken a loss just because of the timing here, not having enough time to make a replacement with the only being one game on Monday.
Speaker 3: But real quick on c would you say?
Speaker 2: And I don't have his injury history right in front of me, and I know you don't either, But he's somebody that has dealt with some injuries throughout his career.
Speaker 3: But is he is he A?
Speaker 2: I feel like he's an interesting case study to where regardless of what has happened, he is at this point always proven that when he does rehab and get healthy, he's still really really good at football. Like there's not it's not like he's lost his fastball or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has had a series of injuries for a number of years. That's back how he ended up with San Francisco to a large extent. And I think you have to keep in mind that running backs, you know, it's a it's a very tough existence. It's when most most teams other than my Cleveland Browns have a whole stack full of them, right, and they just uh, you know, so they take precautions and you and you it's by committee, and in part it's by committee because of the nagging injuries. A little ankle injury can go a long way for a running back in terms of their inabilities. So this is, uh, this is the way the NFL works. It's why they're longevity of a running back is one of the lower longevities in the whole NFL, really in all of sports.
Speaker 2: If you think about it, it's it's crazy. I guess it's been trending that way for quite some time and does not appear to be slowing down. But doctor Larry Ben's of pro emphyscal Therapy is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Louisville football off to a great start.
Speaker 2: I mean they've they've taken care of business in a major way, and for the most part, it seems as if they've managed to stay pretty healthy. However, Donald Cheney, the running back transfer from Miami. Jeff Bram did say after the game that he believes it was a high ankle sprain for Cheney. Those can those can linger. And I guess you know, I'm not gonna ask you to share anything, even if you know anything about about Cheney himself. But when you hear of a running back dealing with that injury at that position, is that a position to where you feel as if you know, the timetable to be one hundred percent could be a little longer than maybe somebody who's playing a different position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it absolutely is, as opposed to say, for example, an offensive linement, particularly a guard. So let's unpack this a bit and high ankle sprain, which is not a great name because it's a little hard to you know, determine what that is. But a typical ankle sprain is if you were to jump up and down off your tippy toes, that that foot moves inward. That's called inversion. And the typical ankle spray, and the kind that probably most of your listeners have had at some point in there in their life is a routine ankle sprain extremely common injury, and that is the ligament that connects the tailor's bone, one of the bones in the in the ankle, to the tibia. That is very predictable. It takes three six weeks swelling. You know, we've treated them. We've treated a million of them. A high ankle sprain is just the opposite. This is when your foot moves outward what is known as e version, and technically it's the it's the fibrous tissue that connects the tibia, which is your shin bone, to the fibula, which is that outer, really really thin bone. It is a much tougher injury. It's only about one percent of all sprains. However, in the NFL it's a lot more common than one percent of the sprains, at least, at least in terms of the general population, it's one percent on a running back. Depending on how much bleeding and how severe it is. If it's a moderate to severe ankle injury of the of a high ankle, it could be six to eight weeks. So that's the first question. Is it a mild, moderate severe? There's a thing, interestingly enough, called a squeeze test. Now there's tests in medicine that either have a high sensitivity or a high specificity, meaning you know, are they sensitive and are they more diagnostic if they if they come out as a positive. I'll give you example. So in the squeeze test on this as you literally are trying to squeeze the fibula and the tiva together, you like somebody down on their on their back, and that test, if positive, causes excruciating pain, and it's generally believed to be that sprain. My guess is whether it was this player at University of Louisville or you know, David no Kub you know one of my a joke in my favorite Cleveland brown You know, they can get this brain and that's probably why they are able to diagnose it so quickly, because that test has a high sensitivity to be in sort of the correct diagnosis. That doesn't, however, tell you how severe it is, and so we have to let mother nature and time determine, and certainly swelling and all the things that go with it. But to a running back or certainly a tight end, it's much more serious than an offensive guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with within Djoku you mentioned him with the Browns, I mean obviously not a great start for the Browns and Deshaun Watson. But hey, if he could get get some get some continuity going and start finding his tight end, that could that could help the Browns. When you hear of a tight end in that role, I mean, you know, you talked about it just a little bit, but I feel like you.
Speaker 3: Know you not.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, Like getting open obviously would be difficult if you've got a lingering issue, but I kind of feel like that would be one more on the optimistic side to where you would you would expect them to be able to maybe play through it a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, either play through it or play in limited sets. Yeah, right, special circumstances, kind of monitor it while playing exactly. Yeah, they'll put in certain units for certain plays, their downs, whatever the case may be, where you can do shorter patterns. He also liked Christie McCafferty has had, you know, quite the injury career his through his career too, so, but this is a bad injury. Let's make no mistake about it, and you hope that it's on the lower side of the six to eight weeks if it's serious, if it's mild, it could be as low as two to three weeks.
Speaker 3: Another injury in the NFL after just one week. Puka Nakua, the receiver for the Rams who really burst on the scene last year, kind of an unexpected young star. He is now out with what is being called a sprained PCL. I believe four games is the minimum because he has been placed on IR what kind of what kind of recovery I guess rehab is typical for a receiver with a sprained PCL.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first of all, this is just a this is a bad mood. This is unfortunate for the Rams because he is a he turned he's turned into a superstar, and you know, it hurt. It hurt them in the game. Apparently he had this injury sort of a nagging injury from even this summer. Everybody's heard of sort of the ACL or the anterior cruciate ligament. These are these two ligaments that cross in your knee that connect the effectively your upper leg to the lower leg. The pcls, it turns out, is an incredibly strong ligament and so it seldom tears. It is really really uncommon, and when it happens, they oftentimes won't even do surgery anymore. So it appears that on him at some point last year, late in the year somewhere along the way, that he stretched it and had a legitimate attenuation of that ligament and it healed up. And so now they're calling this a more of a nagging or recurrence there. So what does that mean? Hard to tell from just the verbiage of how they're describing it. It depends on the swelling, it depends on the disability. And you know, I think already though they did put them on IR for at least six weeks, right, is that not correct? I believe for to seek. Yeah, so that's you know, that's pretty standard of this first time, and we'll see what happens when he comes back. But he could be an all year round off, it wouldn't be surprised me. Or he can come back at the end the end of the that time period. Time will tell. Yeah, you have Nick Chubb for the Cleveland Browns, who they've already sayds out the first you know, that same period of time. But there's a general belief that he's going to miss at least the first half of the year. So you know, these are these are killers for these organizations, and certainly ones that make such a big, big difference, like Chubb to the Browns and certainly him to LA.
Speaker 2: All Right, one more question for you, Larry, and this one comes in from a listener. I love when our listeners prepare questions for our conversations with doctor Ben's Doctor McElroy. UFL volleyball, of course, is phenomenal, one of the one of the programs where you hire a great coach, she comes in and now you know, any any moment this program winning a national championship, and volleyball would not be surprised with what Danny busbiin Kelly has done. But somebody asked a question more along the lines of what is what are the most common injuries with with college volleyball players. I'm not sure if there's one that stands out, but somebody asked me within the same question sort of to describe what jumper's knee is. And I know I'm putting you on the spot here, but is that a common thing you hear from volleyball players having what's called jumper's knee?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sure, let me let me back up a bit, so you're absolutely right. I mean, think of the teams that UFL volleyball has already played. They open up with Wisconsin, you know, top five team national television. Then you go and you play Tennessee, right, you know again top team, and then you go and play Penny and State. Yeah, that would be like you know, an sec to you know, they'd be like us opening up against you.
Speaker 2: Know, that alone says you've arrived as one of the programs in that sport. Man, it's prime time best teams in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, So. The most common injuries that we typically see in volleyball, by the way, tend to be more shoulder, more overhead action. You can obviously break fingers, do all kinds of those kinds of things, but generally we find they're mostly the shoulder, but jumpers, knees and things in general can definitely happen. I think your listener could also be referencing younger volleyball players, so, you know, sort of adolescence while they're still growing. Make sense that what is known as jumpernese, which is really the tendinitis, and oftentimes it's attributed that your muscles are sort of growing faster than your bond. So if you take like a twelve or thirteen year old girl who's doing a lot of jumping. You know, they can really develop you know osgod slaughters and other kinds of things in their knee that lead to tendonitis in overuse of that tendon. So, yes, that is one of the more common injuries because there's a lot of repetitive jumping and just like you know, I compare you know, sort of this aau basketball on the boy side with volleyball on the girls side. They play a lot of games and that's a lot of jumping that repetitive motion can in impact cause some inflammation and tenderness there, otherwise known as the teller tendonitis aka jumper's knee.
Speaker 2: Larry, as always, I appreciate you making time for us. Always a good conversation. We will talk with you soon.
Speaker 5: Go cards, absolutely, go cars. We'll get a weekend off, but we're gonna that's that's a that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about it. Good stuff. We will. You're gonna be at the george Tech game.
Speaker 5: Be it the Georgia Tech game then headed a Notre Dame. Yeah, I don't miss football games.
Speaker 3: Good stuff. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Doctor Benn's take care of That's doctor Larry. Ben's pro reap physical therapy. Good stuff there. Yeah, we get the weekend off, just enjoy the college football, observe maybe, you know, keep an eye on some competition we've got coming our way here soon Shorgia Tech next weekend, and then boom, we're in South Bend. Best time of the year. Vibes are just better when football is going on. And if you don't agree, you're wrong, all right, stick with us Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. The company man always does the damn thing when it comes to the tunes that you hear within this show. But I feel like today's a really good day, you know, better than normal.
Speaker 4: This vibe is definitely hitting.
Speaker 2: I feel, yeah, we've been kind of you know, I don't know, we'll rocking out a little bit.
Speaker 3: I kind of like it. I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: All right, not much time left here in the in the four o'clock hour, but I do want to remind you once again five thirty we're gonna give away tickets to Brooks and Done. All you have to do is download the Underdog Fantasy app.
Speaker 3: It is free.
Speaker 2: You can get it in the App Store, whether you have an Android or an iPhone. Use code Nick seven ninety when you sign up and you'll be enter to win.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: There you go, all right, real quick. Jefferson Animal Hospital. They're worthy of more than just a few minutes here. But you know we got you know, I would talk about them for three hours, but my bosses wouldn't let me because in the Jefferson Animal Hospital, folks know I would do that because that's how much I appreciate all the great work they do. And I've enjoyed not only talking about them but educating folks. I bet a lot of you listening right now had no clue that your dogs and your cats can give blood just like we can.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: If your dog is over fifty or your cat is at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet blood a pet blood donor, and every donation can save up to four to six lives plus by doing this. There's all kinds of benefits that you're gonna get by your pet becoming a blood donor, including regular examinations, blood work, vaccines, all at Jefferson Animal Hospital. On outer loop for more information on how your dogger cat can become a pet blood donor called five two nine hundred pets Again five O two nine hundred pets or visit pet bloodbank dot com. What's better than that you give blood and by doing that your your pet. Giving blood can help save up to four to six lives. And you also can get regular examinations, blood work and vaccines for your pet at Jefferson Animal Hospital. It's a win win. So five O two nine hundred pets. Yeah, five two nine undred pets is the number. Pet Bloodbank dot com is the website, all right, real quick? Shannon Sharp, he has seemingly no problem with his sex life, according to what we heard yesterday on his Instagram live. But I've got from Men's Health how your diet might be impacting your sex life. Fellas you ready, And I'm just gonna give you some quick hitters here. Too much crap says here. If it's good for your heart, it's good for your sex life. Much with unhealthy fats and high sugar content can lower testosterone and in turn your sex drive will be impacted by that. Negatively, this says, switch to decaf, the cup of coffee you might enjoy by giving your blood flow a boost. In turn that switch to decaffeinated beverages might be playing a role in a reduced blood flow, which you know can affect you downstairs. So balance is key. So because too much caffeine isn't exactly a good thing when it comes to, you know, getting it on. This is one that I would assume most people are aware of too much alcohol. And they say here, I'm reading directly from Men's Health, so I'm not not me saying it, but Men's Health says we've all heard of whiskey wang.
Speaker 3: I've never heard anybody say that. I mean you, John, No, I mean I've heard it.
Speaker 2: I know what you're talking about, Men's Health not I've never heard it referred to whiskey Wang. But I have a good idea of what that means. Says here that it's a real thing. Alcohol works as a depressant for the for the central nervous systems, so it can quote numb the feelings of sexual stimulation and alter the blood flow in and out of your unit. I mean, yeah, I mean there's also like you know, well, I don't say this.
Speaker 4: Whiskey Wang just sounds like the name of a Dalist band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, whiskey Wang. That'd be good like we tomorrow, maybe we do fake band, real band for the giveaway.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good idea, especially whisky.
Speaker 2: We can't use whiskey, Wang because now people know like you. But but yeah, that that I think you're right. But like sometimes if you are someone that uh struggles with longevity, I think alcohol could potentially help as long as it's not too much, if that makes sense. I mean, I'm not here to give you sex advice, fellaws, but just saying and I think you know what I'm saying. This one says you're sweet tooth. Sugar can be a serious sex life killer. It can effec to cardigovascular health, it can reduce testosterone levels and eventually sugar crash can make you feel instantly fatigued, which doesn't exactly play well when you're supposed to be settling the mood. Again, some good tips here for the fellas when it comes to you know your sex life again. Shannon Sharp this segment presented by him in his Instagram live yesterday. A lot of heavy breathing, a lot of heavy and if this show wasn't PG thirteen, there's all kinds of things I would just say about the Shannon Sharp video but I'm gonna not do that because I don't want to embarrass my family. I'm not worried about embarrassing myself, but and I don't want to get fired either. I kind of need to keep my job, all right, five o'clock hour is next. Don't go anywhere it's coffee any company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety