Speaker 1: All right back on the big one. It's the average American in for the great American on this Monday break to have you with us. We are closing in on a month down the road from the election. That'll be tomorrow. And there's no question that immigration was a huge factor in Donald Trump regaining power regaining the presidency. Swing voters broke for Trump fifty two percent versus thirty eight percent for Harris, and swing voters voters broke late for Donald Trump in this election, and among total swing voters who ultimately chose Donald Trump, immigration was a key issue, seventy seven percent of them believing that it was extremely or very accurate to say Democrats are not quote tough enough on addressing the border crisis end quote. It is a problem with Donald Trump needs to address it, needs to address quickly, How quickly, how effective will he be able to address it? And what happens when the media, the bleeding hearts in the media began showing us pictures and writing stories about families being separated in various locations around the country, regardless of whether or not there is a criminal in that family who came here illegally to do God knows what to this country regardless of all of that, because the media doesn't get all that wrapped up on details what happens when they begin painting that picture and how it will it affect about how Donald Trump goes about his business. Standing by the way, in as someone whose opinion matters greatly on this, we have had Andrew Arthur on the show before. He is a law and policy expert at the Center for Immigration Studies, and he has carved out some time to spend with us right here on seven hundred W welw and Andrew, how are you on this glorious day, Ken.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. It's a beautiful day here in North Carolina. The states started to recover and we're getting ready for the Christmas season. Though first be warm in the staff, not that way today.
Speaker 1: I understand that North Carolina hopefully digging out from the devastation of that hurricane. It is a beautiful state. I spent a part of last December in North Carolina. I just love that state. All right, So you've you've been busy on this topic. I just just for a matter of I guess clarity. There were studies done on this, and there were studies that just basically reinforced what I just said. There's no question immigration and the philosophical approach to it by the Biden administration was absolutely paramount in this election. How long do you think it's going to take Donald Trump to undo what Joe Biden and his people did to this country from an immigration standpoint over the last three and a half years, or would it be asking too much to ask Donald Trump to undo it in the four years he'll have it the oval office.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, Ken, And you know, to start with, let me just say that Donald Trump probably picked the best man that he could to be the quarterback on his team at the White House on this issue. Tom Homan. Tom, of course, was the former Deputy Director of ICE under Barack Obama when he headed the Enforcement Removal Operations Unit. He was also an acting ICE director under President Trump. This a guy who literally came up from the streets. He was a cop and then he became a border patrol agent, worked his way up through ICE. Really knows the ins and outs of this. And you know, can remember back to a time when we were actually effectively running the border, when we were effectively removing people from the United States, and when we didn't leave the back door open for any and all to come in. So I think that you know, you've probably got the best person out of all three hundred and thirty five million Americans in charge of this issue. But the question that jazz is bigger than that. And when you talk about the numbers of people who are here illegally, we can't even really get a grasp on it. You'll hear numbers anywhere between eleven point three million to about twenty five million. We estimate that it's something between thirteen and fifteen million, and a lot of those people literally just showed up, just showed up in the last four years, so they really haven't put down the sorts of roots that you're talking about. But can consider the fact that there are more than five hundred thousand migrant children in our schools right now. I mean, that's a huge number of people. And extricating, you know, children from the community, sending them back home, that's going to require a lot of political will. And I think that you know, when you look at the numbers that you just cited, those are from Blueprint Analyzes. Blueprint is a democratic organization, so they're looking at this with a pretty clear eye. You know, this was a major issue, and the American people want something done. If you want my honest assessment, though, Donald Trump's not really going to be able to to undo just the damage in the last four years, during the four years that he's going to have, I estimate that it's going to take about a decade. It's probably going to cost about a trillion dollars to extricate the United States trum this. Now, that's not a trillion dollar spent on removing people. Removing people is actually a lot cheaper proposition. But when it comes to caring for all of those people, you know, about eight million people who have arrived over the last four years. You know, in providing aid to you know, the school districts and the cities and the towns, the police forces that are going to need to deal with immigrant crime, you're going to rack up a trillion dollar bill pretty quickly. And unfortunately, a lot of that money isn't going to be paid by the federal government. A lot of that is going to be paid by state and local officials as they deal with this, try to you know, handle and provide for the children, provide medical care for people who are This is a mess, And I don't even think that the American people appreciate how big a mess this is. I think that over the next two years, we're actually going to start to see some of those costs come do. And the American people are you know, just going to support uh, you know, the Trump policies even more than they have. But there's gonna be a lot of pushback in the media. Is going to show you a picture of you know, every you know, mother and child that ends up getting removed, and you know, try to play on the heartstreams of the American people. I just don't know how successful that's going to be.
Speaker 1: I don't either, And honestly, I think if they're if they're smart, what what they'll do it? And you know, I think Trump is smart. I think what he's going to wind up doing is going after the the the people that have entered this country that have committed crimes either in this country when they arrived or have a criminal past that they might have brought with them from another country. I think if he tries to go in and separate mother from child and things like that, that's that's an that's a that's a non win him. But I think Initially, he can stop what's going over the southern border. We already see that Mexico really wants to play ball because they don't want to be tariffed. Same with Canada as well, So you have that. I think he'll physically try and finish that border wall, and if he does, indeed have fifty three Republicans in con well, he's he's got fifty plus his vice president and then three people that you know, they may be Republicans, they may not be, Collins and Murkowski and McConnell. We'll see exactly where they go with these votes. But if indeed can get that wall finished and can start extricating the criminals that are in this country, I think that will go a long way in curtailing a new people coming in and b maybe getting the message out to other people they should not be in this in this country in the first place. I think that's where Homan starts, don't.
Speaker 2: You, Yeah, no, absolutely, In fact, mister Homan has said that is going to be where he starts. You know, there are hundreds of thousands an estimated you know, seven hundred thousand criminal aliens who are in the United States who are going to be a top priority. We also have hundreds of people who are on the terror watch list who are here. We're going to need to get those people out. And if you start to move through you know those hundreds of thousands of people, the dynamic of all of this has changed. You have a paradigm shift. It's no longer you know, thought of that you're going to be able to come here and live here indefinitely and remain here forever. You know, now people are going to start to see those criminals taken off the streets. They're going to start to see a crackdown along the border if they have family members that they're hoping to immigrate and they're not going to be able to make it. And yeah, I mean completing the border wall system, which is bigger than just defence itself. You know, that's the cameras and the lights and the fiber opt to cable, all those other things that make that border wall system work is going to be a game changer. I think you're going to see the number of people entering the lead a plummet. We're going to go back to, you know, twenty seventeen numbers when we saw the first Trump effect. We're going to see a lot of cooperations from Mexico and Cannon. That's in both of their interests to help us out on this, and then we could start to address that criminal population, that national security risk population in the United States. And you know, you're going to see a lot of people go home because that's what happened about three hundred thousand to five hundred thousand people who are here unlawfully can't lead every year, I fig you're going to see those numbers pick up. In fact, there was an article out of Dalton, Georgia that was talking about how people you know there were planning on leaving there. There was an article out of Springfield, Ohio about people who were looking for someplace else to live because you know, they know that they are, you know, in the cross heirs of immigration enforcement. So yeah, I mean, really, the most important thing that Trump's going to do is change the narrative of all this. I think they we're going to get back to a lawful immigration system, an orderly immigration system. That's in the interesting American people. But you know it's you know, the election itself is the biggest statement that the American people can make about immigration. I think it's going to have a real impact.
Speaker 1: Andrew Arthur our guest. He's with the Center for Immigration Studies. He's not only writing and writing well about immigration for a long time on CIS dot org. How important was immigration in the twenty twenty four election? A really detailed study that cites some of the research that we're talking about. You also writes op eds that appear in a lot of different places. I saw this. Texas has spent millions placing razor wire along the border. Well, Biden found a judge that said that was illegal, and I guess it was. The Fed started cutting down the wire. Then wait a minute, there was an appeals court ruling against Biden last week to block Texas from kenny continuing to place razor wire. This seawire up so it can continue. You again, a lot of this depends on whether or not Trump gets to complete the rest of his wall. But there's no question, as you point out in this article, that the razor wire is a great deterrent for people coming into this country whose first act when they come into this country is an illegal act. So I don't sense that that was a bad ruling by this latest judge. But it does work, does it not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely. Inact, you can look at the numbers. Texas has been running something called Operation Loan Star ever since March twenty twenty one. They said troopers down their National National Guard troops down there to you know, bolster border patrol. And then just before Title forty two ended, they started erecting these concertina wire or sea wire barriers along the Rio Grande and you know, near population centers to prevent people from crossing over and just blending into the community and escaping into the country that way. For some reason, nobody really knows the reason why. In September twenty twenty three, CBP under the Biden Harris administration started destroying portions of that wire in Maverick County, Texas. And you know, this launched a fight. It went all the way to the Supreme Court about whether they could tear it out or whether they couldn't tear it out. And you mentioned the judge that they went to the first time. She's actually a very interesting woman, judge of Leah Moses down in Texas. She initially said, you know, the Biden Harris administration could continue to destroy it, but she talked about the political ego and ranker that had brought us to this point. She said, look, the immigration system may be dysfunctional, but it works when you allow it to work. So, you know, her initial decision that allowed them to go forward and destroy the wire that's just been reversed, you know, was a win for the Biden administration, but it was a stunning indictment of the Biden administration and the immigration policies that they run down there. And now that this circuit you know, has gotten along with that said no, you can't do it. This is sovereign state pop property and you have to leave it alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I don't think the Biden administration cared about what her opinion was. They just said, hey, we can cut the wire down. They provided them an optic right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely. But one thing that you'll note, Ken, is that ever since the Supreme Court ruled in January twenty twenty four that they could go ahead destroying the wire, they haven't touched it. Because going into an election year, you know, when you're contending that you're doing everything you can to secure the border, and then you go destroying the only impediment that there is to illegal immigration, you know, that's a bad visual. Yeah, And it was a bad visual for you know, for Joe Biden when he was running for president. It was a horrible one for Kamala Harris. So Texas, Texas won, Texas is still winning on that issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, because if you recall back then, that Senate seat Thatsad was still in play, it looked like it might have been a flip for the Democrats, so they couldn't really go in there and jeopardize that. And again they probably thought, well, you know, Texas may be turning more purple than we think, and maybe we've got a chance to flip Texas in a national election. But you know, you're right, that would have if you would would have put border patrol agents in between the Texas Rangers and and the federal government, you know, wherever they may be coming from the army, wherever it might have been, it would have been. It would have been horrible. But I agree with you. I think it's I think it's going to be difficult. It's going to take years, decades probably to undo what has happened to this country over the last three and a half years. But I sense that there are breaks that are being applied. But that won't stop you from what you do so well at cis dot org, and it's great when you can join us. Andrew Arthur, we appreciate your time here and you stay well and keep fighting the good fight.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can and best to all your listeners here.
Speaker 1: He is that is a great destination where they take immigration, which is a complex topic, and make it understandable. What we try to do here don't often accomplish it. They do. Tune twenty five News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Is there a special time you like to listen to scon Sloane.
Speaker 1: I love to listen to Sloaney while I'm jogging. He makes the miles go faster.
Speaker 3: I listened to Slooney in the shower after my run. I listened to Sloaney in the shower too.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of all those group man baths I had in Japan.
Speaker 3: Really, my problem is he's so funny and compelling. I run out of hot water. I guess anytime is the right time for Sloaney.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I hate cold shower.
Speaker 3: Shrink it tomorrow morning at nine on seven hundred WLW and check out his podcast on the free iHeartRadio app. It's Black Front